Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » By-election in Newark as Patrick Mercer – Will Farage stand

Comments

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,587
    MikeK said:

test

uh-oh. Prepare for pearls of wisdom x6 from Mike.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    On the principle that you should do what your opponents least want you to do, Nigel Farage should stand in Newark. He might not win, but he'd keep the UKIP carnival going.

My instinct, however, is that he won't. He hasn't put himself on the line before, so he would need to break new ground.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,130
    edited April 2014
    Scott_P said:

@ChrisGibsonNews: Coming up on @BBCNews. Nigel Farage says he's 'seriously tempted' to stand in Newark but has reservations as he's got 'no local connections'

Either testing the waters to see how desperate people are for him to stand, or being quite reasonable, or both as he genuinely hasn't decided yet I guess. If he won't he should say so quickly, to at least put us out of our misery of suspense.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,798
    TOPPING said:

MikeK said:

test

pearls before swine Mr TOP PIG. Porky will be along in a minute.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959
    isam said:

I hope Farage doesn't stand mainly because I have backed him to stand elsewhere in the GE!

But also I think, as someone said downthread, that it would ruin the "anti establishment" schtick, and the figurehead of the party in the GE campaign would be bogged down in sorting out the pot holes in Newark or whatever it is MP's do rather than touring the country!

Galloway doesn't seem very bogged down in local issues. Farage could still spread the word of UKIP. And the LDs remained the protest vote party when they had 60 MPs, until they became part of a coalition. The Greens aren't exactly ruined in pushing their message because they have an MP (they are establishment, but that's more them than their situation).
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,158

Mr. Tyndall, why does Mercer loathe Cameron so?

He's met him.

;-)

• Options

He's met him.

;-)

There's two types of people in the world, those who hate David Cameron and those yet to meet him?
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @kle4

Or waiting for a constituency poll?
  • Options

I am not actually sure. In all our conversations about him all I know is that he never had a good word to say - he referred to him continuously as 'the boy Cameron' - and that he would never miss an opportunity to put him down., He certainly didn't like the fact he won the party leadership and was, as I remember, a David Davis man.
    We need to combine Mercer's views on Cameron with tim's views on Osborne.

Some sort of critical mass of hatred would be achieved.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    TOPPING said:

MikeK said:

test

The only pearl I'm dropping tonight is that, at the midnight hour, I turn 80. So happy birthday to me.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

isam said:

I hope Farage doesn't stand mainly because I have backed him to stand elsewhere in the GE!

But also I think, as someone said downthread, that it would ruin the "anti establishment" schtick, and the figurehead of the party in the GE campaign would be bogged down in sorting out the pot holes in Newark or whatever it is MP's do rather than touring the country!

Galloway doesn't seem very bogged down in local issues. Farage could still spread the word of UKIP. And the LDs remained the protest vote party when they had 60 MPs, until they became part of a coalition. The Greens aren't exactly ruined in pushing their message because they have an MP (they are establishment, but that's more them than their situation).
    Interestingly, both the woman doing the Greens' PEB, and the Green candidate for the EU president (of something or other, it was on DP):

a) look the same; and
    b) are quite hot.
  • Options

He's met him.

;-)

There's two types of people in the world, those who hate David Cameron and those yet to meet him?
    I met Mr Cameron several years ago. He was getting dressed. I shall leave it there.
  • Options

He's met him.

;-)

I met Mr Cameron several years ago. He was getting dressed. I shall leave it there.
    I once really annoyed David Cameron
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959
    TOPPING said:

Quincel said:

isam said:

Interestingly, both the woman doing the Greens' PEB, and the Green candidate for the EU president (of something or other, it was on DP):

a) look the same; and
    b) are quite hot.
    Looks like the Greens have an electoral angle they've not properly exploited yet, so to speak.
  • Options
    @MikeK

Have you hired someone to blow the candles out for you?

Happy Birthday when it comes Mike
  • Options
    MikeK said:

TOPPING said:

MikeK said:

test

The only pearl I'm dropping tonight is that, at the midnight hour, I turn 80. So happy birthday to me.
    I will be fast asleep at that hour, being the young whippersnapper that I am, so will now wish you many happy returns.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    MikeK said:

TOPPING said:

MikeK said:

test

Have a wonderful day tomorrow
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    A constituency poll putting Con and UKIP close together with Labour a few points behind would be interesting. A number of Labour voters may be persuaded to vote tactically in those circumstances.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    MikeK said:

TOPPING said:

MikeK said:

test

Happy Birthday old chap!
  • Options

He's met him.

;-)

I find that hard to believe, you're normally such a shy retiring guy.
  • Options
    We'll see if he has the guts to stand - my guess is he'll find some excuse for not doing so, but it needs to be better than his not having "local connections"!
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

He's met him.

;-)

How does this even happen?! PB, full of the political class.

My claim to fame is I met Michael Howard AND Ann Widdecombe...........!
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

hahaha Birmingham enjoy playing rochdale next season!

Has there ever been such a tonnage of shite at the bottom of the Championship as Yeovil, Barnsley, Birmingham, Doncaster and Millwall have been this season.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

He's met him.

;-)

Threesome ?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    MikeK said:

TOPPING said:

MikeK said:

test

Have a great day mr k ;-)
  • Options
    Freggles said:

He's met him.

;-)

Was it in the evening?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,748
    edited April 2014

He's met him.

;-)

Well I've never met him.

On the night of the evening of the Eastleigh by-election, I wrote a thread speculating on whether Dave was as useless as a Carthignian military commander, if they finished third behind UKIP and the Lib Dems.

Apparently lots of Tory MPs quoted that piece and it annoyed Dave.

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2013/02/28/are-we-entering-the-twilight-of-the-leadership-of-dave/

Edit: This bit in particular

When David Cameron became the leader of the Conservatives in 2005, the Lib Dem majority was a mere 568, tonight judging by the betting sentiment the Tories may be pushed into third place, behind UKIP.

Given the circumstances leading up to the by-election, and the news agenda in recent days dominated by the sub-optimal headlines and responses about Lord Rennard, and the Liberal Democrats consistently poor polling in the national polling for the last few years, then finishing third will lead to speculation about the merits of the Cameron project.

• Options
    @Alanbrooke

gruesome you mean?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    The 2010 UKIP candidate for Boston & Skegness might have been a possibility: unfortunately he was expelled from the party in December.

http://www.lincolnshireecho.co.uk/Chris-Pain-loses-appeal-stay-UKIP/story-20379990-detail/story.html
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

I am not actually sure. In all our conversations about him all I know is that he never had a good word to say - he referred to him continuously as 'the boy Cameron' - and that he would never miss an opportunity to put him down., He certainly didn't like the fact he won the party leadership and was, as I remember, a David Davis man.
    Mercer didn't like Cameron because Dave reprimanded him for lack of political correctness when referring to "blacks".

• Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    MikeK said:

TOPPING said:

MikeK said:

test

Cent'anni,mighty MikeK.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Alanbrooke

gruesome you mean?

Oxford PPEs would pay for the privilege
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    AveryLP said:

More fruitcakes exposed by the Guardian.

This time it seems that Mo Farah is the target:

[I]t emerged that David Wycherley, standing for Ukip candidate for the Rushall-Shelfield ward in Walsall, had asked his Facebook friends to explain "how Mo Farah, an African … has won a Gold medal for Great Britain".

A link to the full article for those who have not yet lost the will to live: http://bit.ly/1fpXPRs</

That's a pretty feeble story.

• Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    First thoughts.Farage won't stand and the 4-5 on the Tories to keep the seat looks big.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Freggles said:

He's met him.

;-)

Was it in the evening?
    Two separate occasions I should clarify.
  • Options

Jane Collins @Jane4ukip

“Some papers reckon UKIP had a "disastrous week", as it polls 31% & 1st in a national poll" Let's hope next week is just as disastrous !!!"

I think all the extra scrutiny of late tells its own story.
    It tells a story of panic and thrashing around.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,258

Might his dislike of Cameron have been something to do with him having to resign over something in the late 2000s? Wasn't he a shadow defence sec, and Cameron 'resigned' him?

I don't know either gentleman, but Mercer's an ex-army officer, and the son of a bishop. In my admittedly limited experience, officers once they leave the army either turn into the best blokes ever and great fun, or f'ing gits who believe that they still wield power over the plebs.

Add that into the son-of-a-bishop thing, and might it explain his dislike for someone like Cameron.

As an aside, I've worked with three people who've claimed to be in the SAS. Of the three (ex) colleagues, I can believe one could have been. I could believe another was in the army, but not the SAS. I cannot believe the third would ever have been in the army, yet alone the SAS. A friend of mine has a colleague who says he was on Pebble Island in the Falklands, and apparently believably so.

But what do I know? Has anyone else heard unbelievable I-was-in-the-SAS claims?
  • Options

He's met him.

;-)

Well I've never met him.

On the night of the evening of the Eastleigh by-election, I wrote a thread speculating on whether Dave was as useless as a Carthignian military commander, if they finished third behind UKIP and the Lib Dems.

Apparently lots of Tory MPs quoted that piece and it annoyed Dave.

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2013/02/28/are-we-entering-the-twilight-of-the-leadership-of-dave/
    Just as well he doesn't read the comments then :-)
  • Options

Matthew Goodwin @GoodwinMJ

One for @Ed_Miliband. In 2010 #UKIP fought 4 wards in #Doncaster. This year they will fight every ward (21) & hold annual conference in town

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    ****************30th April 2014****************
    _,--._
    .-'` '. _,
    .-' \.-' /
    .-' _ |
    .'-. -` -. \
    `) .' _ _ '. |
    / / / \ / \ \ \
    | ) | | ( |
    \.-' \ 0 0 / '-./
    ( ( .----. _ ) )
    '-. / | .-'
    \ \_____.' / /
    \ . / /
    \ '----/ /
    \ `-` /
    \ ( /
    (`"(/)"`)
    /`"|/|"`\
    / |/| \
    _,;==""== ""==;,_
    /{ HAPPY 80th }\
    \'=._BIRTHDAY!_.='/
    |`=._`"====="`_.=`|
    | `""===""` |
    |`=._ _.=`|
    _|_ _ `"""="""` _ _|_
    / / / | | \ \ \
    \ \ \ /"==...=="\ / / /
    `-`-;-'`"==="`'-;-`-`
    | | |
    / | \
    \_ | _/
    / / \
    .-()'`--.__|_.---`'()-.
    /` \X() | ()X/ `\
    | | ; | |
    jgs \ ___|______ / `._ ____|___ /
    `""""""""""` `""""""""`
    College presents MikeK a kipper fruitcake
    to celebrate him entering his ninth decade
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    MikeK said:

TOPPING said:

MikeK said:

test

Have a good one sir.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Went to hear ferage speak in Bath. Some good one liners. Ukip sw euro candidates may do well regaregardless of personal qualities. No disruption of meeting no riots no fights, media mist have wondered why the venue was full. Some good jokes about clegg and lds best recruiting sergeants. Small rent a crowd of lefties shouting ukip scum whist watched by polive horses.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Jane Collins @Jane4ukip

“Some papers reckon UKIP had a "disastrous week", as it polls 31% & 1st in a national poll" Let's hope next week is just as disastrous !!!"

It does look that way, as do the non-stop efforts to yell racist. However I think that trick has had its day and is now counter productive.
  • Options
    "Scottish households will see a double-digit decline in living standards if the country votes to become independent, as secession triggers a mass exodus of the financial services industry, according to a respected think-tank.

The Centre for Economics and Business Research (CEBR) calculated that independence would lead to a third of jobs in the financial services sector being moved south of the border.

In a speech on Wednesday night, Douglas McWilliams, the founder of the CEBR, will say that between 20,000 and 40,000 jobs will move to England if Scotland breaks away, as many of them depend on customers in the rest of the UK."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10797073/Scottish-independence-will-trigger-mass-exodus-of-financial-services.html
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Well what a mouthwatering prospect the next 54 weeks is in British politics now; European elections, Newark by-election, Scottish independence referendum, economic spasms aplenty and of course the general election. Its going to be one heck of a wild ride.

As for Newark, what shadow does Fiona Jones' legacy still cast for Labour in this seat?

I was just getting myself acquainted with the demographics of this seat: http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/2015guide/newark/

One thing that sticks out immediately: 93% white british and 41% over 55 - those 2 things are pretty attractive as far as UKIP is concerned. I still think its a huge gamble for Farage to stand though - its predicated on topping the poll in the Euro's which is far from a done deal, and even if that part goes to plan, then coming 2nd will be seen as a huge disappointment in the inevitable media build up after May 25th if that is the case. And Farage would have to fend off awkward questions about his MEP commitments, and whether he would remain an MP / MEP at the same time in the event of winning Newark - presumably not.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

He's met him.

;-)

Swimming pool or knocking shop?
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Sean_F said:

Jane Collins @Jane4ukip

The political/pundit class is experiencing a nervous collapse. I've never seen anything like it. It's wonderful.

• Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

We'll see if he has the guts to stand - my guess is he'll find some excuse for not doing so, but it needs to be better than his not having "local connections"!

Think he's hedging his bets here.

I must admit also I don't buy the " if he's an MP he's a shoo in for the debates " line. On the same basis so are G Galloway and C Lucas, and I can see the DUP, Plaid, and the SNP mounting more than a token legal challenge too in that case. The only way I can see Dave agreeing to a debate with Farage in it would be to widen it to include Lucas ( or the Green leader ), Respect et al to give Ed and Nick flak to deal with too from parties likely to siphon off their voters.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

He's met him.

;-)

National Motor Cycle Museum.
  • Options
    Mercer for all his faults (and there were a few) seems to be a straight talker, which is a handy trait in the army but not in politics.
    For his part Mercer considered Cameron two faced and duplicitous.
    Ironic in a way?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    @Sean_F‌

It sure is.

What I'm waiting for is a Maddie connection or sex with a royal.
  • Options
    UKIP Ground Control are trying to get in touch with the 2010 Candidate I hear...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newark_by-election,_2014

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    perdix said:

Mercer didn't like Cameron because Dave reprimanded him for lack of political correctness when referring to "blacks".

Simply not true. Oh I am sure that didn't improve his opinion of 'the boy' but Mercer's dislike for Cameron was well established long before he had to resign and was common knowledge even before Cameron was elected leader.

I suspect that JosiasJessop is closest to the truth and it was Mercer and Cameron's respective backgrounds that meant they were never going to get on.
  • Options

Paul Waugh @paulwaugh

Farage: "But we're very keen to get our first MP in Westminster, cos once that happens, then the dam will have burst." [2/2]

• Options
    welshowl said:

I must admit also I don't buy the " if he's an MP he's a shoo in for the debates " line. On the same basis so are G Galloway and C Lucas, and I can see the DUP, Plaid, and the SNP mounting more than a token legal challenge too in that case. The only way I can see Dave agreeing to a debate with Farage in it would be to widen it to include Lucas ( or the Green leader ), Respect et al to give Ed and Nick flak to deal with too from parties likely to siphon off their voters.
    For my part I think Farage could justifiably be included in a major leader's debate if he is an MP (not that any of the others would want him there, besides Clegg if he is still around in the hopes Farages hits the other two as well) and not include others given total party vote and number of candidates in addition to having Westminster representation, but it would admittedly get pretty messy and rely on technical definitions by that point. He would still fail the 'base on past GE performance' criteria of course, so that just muddies it even further.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

@Sean_F‌

It sure is.

Prince Harry is now free, maybe he'll give you a quickie Mr P.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,748
    edited April 2014
    there are several new markets up on whether UKIP WILL or WILL NOT win a seat before the next general election, but Hills have pulled their market

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-uk-general-election/ukip-to-win-a-seat

Best price that they will now is a mere 13/10
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Paul Waugh @paulwaugh

Farage: "But we're very keen to get our first MP in Westminster, cos once that happens, then the dam will have burst." [2/2]

Just like it did for Respect, and the Greens.

Oh, wait...
  • Options
    A good day to bury bad news...

@paulwaugh: Meanwhile at height of Mercer story, UKIP announced candidate had quit the party cos his "remarks about Lenny Henry caused enormous offence"
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    hunchman said:

And Farage would have to fend off awkward questions about his MEP commitments, and whether he would remain an MP / MEP at the same time in the event of winning Newark - presumably not.

He would not be allowed to.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Smarmeron said:

Mercer for all his faults (and there were a few) seems to be a straight talker, which is a handy trait in the army but not in politics.
    For his part Mercer considered Cameron two faced and duplicitous.
    Ironic in a way?

Mercer is an archetypal fish-and-chip regiment ex-soldier with a grudge against Cameron not only because as an Etonian Cam outranks him but also because Cam has the strength of character to embrace his inner metrosexual.

cf IDS ex-Scots Guards thoroughly at ease with himself.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Paul Waugh @paulwaugh

Oh, wait...
    Not the same thing at all. UKIP are already a significant force in British politics who got around a million votes at the last GE and look set to at the least double that, in addition to being hugely significant in the Euros. The Greens are concentrated in a few specific areas and other than that have zero ambitions to appeal to the mass electorate given their policies, and Respect are even more localized. For them, winning an MP came as a result of an intense campaign in one location, and as the start of something respectively, whereas UKIP have already built up major support, they just haven't managed to focus it in one seat yet, but if they get enough support, eventually that spread of support will find an area they can win, and proof they are not a wasted vote will shore up many more of those votes for the GE.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Well what a mouthwatering prospect the next 54 weeks is in British politics now; European elections, Newark by-election, Scottish independence referendum, economic spasms aplenty and of course the general election. Its going to be one heck of a wild ride.

As for Newark, what shadow does Fiona Jones' legacy still cast for Labour in this seat?

I was just getting myself acquainted with the demographics of this seat: http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/2015guide/newark/

One thing that sticks out immediately: 93% white british and 41% over 55 - those 2 things are pretty attractive as far as UKIP is concerned. I still think its a huge gamble for Farage to stand though - its predicated on topping the poll in the Euro's which is far from a done deal, and even if that part goes to plan, then coming 2nd will be seen as a huge disappointment in the inevitable media build up after May 25th if that is the case. And Farage would have to fend off awkward questions about his MEP commitments, and whether he would remain an MP / MEP at the same time in the event of winning Newark - presumably not.

Fiona Jones' story was rather tragic.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Paul Waugh @paulwaugh

Oh, wait...
    I don't think respect/greens have led in a major poll ? or 15% in GE polls ?

Not bad for a party that isn't that old.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

@Sean_F‌

It sure is.

Farage had sex with the Duchess of Cambridge, dressed as Madeleine McCann.

• Options
    kle4 said:

The Greens are concentrated in a few specific areas and other than that have zero ambitions to appeal to the mass electorate

Patrick Harvie will be surprised to hear that...
  • Options
    @TOPPING

You have to talk straight to the normal regiments, Only the Guards are thick enough not to smell bullsh*t.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    kle4 said:

welshowl said:

For my part I think Farage could justifiably be included in a major leader's debate if he is an MP (not that any of the others would want him there, besides Clegg if he is still around in the hopes Farages hits the other two as well) and not include others given total party vote and number of candidates in addition to having Westminster representation, but it would admittedly get pretty messy and rely on technical definitions by that point. He would still fail the 'base on past GE performance' criteria of course, so that just muddies it even further.
    Exactly. He'd have one MP and represents a party that got under 4% in 2010. Now that percentage is not likely to apply now (though breaking say 7% in 2015 might be tougher than it looks now as the kipper leaning voters stare down the barrel of Ed approaching No 10 in the first days of May 2015 - I predict late late swings there), but you can see how "defining him in" whilst not "defining others out" is not easy, especially as Dave will not want a four way Farage, Miliband, Cameron, Clegg, debate at all costs you'd think.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    27 year-old Michael Payne was selected as Labour candidate just 24 days ago:

http://www.newarklabourparty.org.uk/labour-candidate-for-general-election-is-chosen/

Twitter feeds for the two candidates selected so far:

https://twitter.com/RobertJenrick

https://twitter.com/MichaelPayneUK

Interesting that Michael Payne has about 6.5 times as many followers as Robert Jenrick at the moment: 1,674 vs 256.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

He's met him.

;-)

Was Dave preparing to ride a 5,000 cc Triumph Osborne?

• Options
    Smarmeron said:

@TOPPING

You have to talk straight to the normal regiments, Only the Guards are thick enough not to smell bullsh*t.

Cream of the British Army...rich & thick...
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    UKIP to win zero seats at next GE. You heard it here first...
    (Gets coat and leaves quietly)
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Is that a 5th YouGov in a row with a 5-point lead?
  • Options

AveryLP said:

@Sean_F‌

It sure is.

Prince Harry is now free, maybe he'll give you a quickie Mr P.
    I'm told Harry prefers the taste of kippers, Mr. B.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,278
    edited April 2014
    Could Newark actually give a boost to Cameron? If Farage runs, he will now be expected to win easily, but the Tory candidate actually looks highly capable, brought up in the Midlands from a small business family, educated at a state primary and Wolverhampton Grammar, 1st from Cambridge, then Penn U, followed by a career as a commercial lawyer and Director at Christie's he looks far more qualified than Farage and he has obviously already been nursing the seat, unlike Farage who will parachute into the seat with no links as a 'carpetbagger.' Bear in mind too that the Tories gained Newark in 2001 despite losing heavily nationally so it is pretty strong Tory territory. If the Tories hold the seat, Dave can punch any boost UKIP getting from topping the Euro polls, and if Labour come 3rd in a seat Blair win in 1997 that will also throw the pressure right back on Ed M!
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Neil said:

hunchman said:

And Farage would have to fend off awkward questions about his MEP commitments, and whether he would remain an MP / MEP at the same time in the event of winning Newark - presumably not.

Thought so. Can't see him standing personally. The best Thanet seat in the GE is surely Farage's best option. No point in taking an unnecessary risk, and besides he's got no connection with the local area. A local candidate a la Diane James would suit far better IMHO.
  • Options

A truly dismal place
  • Options
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Is that a 5th YouGov in a row with a 5-point lead?

I think it will be bad for the tories until after the euro elections.

• Options
    edited April 2014
    Election guru Robert Waller writes off Labour's chances in Newark:

http://www.vote-2012.proboards.com/post/155189/thread

"I don't see Labour having a chance"
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    God what is all this talk about not taking risks.

Politics is all about risks Especially when your party ha ZERO MPs
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    I get a suspicion that Farage won't stand. Downside risk is actually quite high:

-Possibility of Defeat vs Success mixed
    -Blow-in rebound potential. I don't know Newark at all and how they'd react to his apearance on the ballot
    -Double jobbing allegation.

Its a case of either a) wait it out for a better shot which will come or b) cant help himself and even a bit of a chance of success is worth giving it a bash.

Off topic: Syria

OPCW is going to investigate the allegations of chlorine gas attacks by Assad forces. Right now as we sit in our largely comfy homes, some people are being choked by toxic gas in Idlib province.

Aren't we lucky in this country that we can debate whether one silver spoon fed upper middle class bloke is better than another upper middle class bloke. Perhaps we are all fortunate accidents of birth.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

kle4 said:

The Greens are concentrated in a few specific areas and other than that have zero ambitions to appeal to the mass electorate

Patrick Harvie will be surprised to hear that...
    Perhaps the Scottish Greens are different. The only time I ever hear about Green party policies in England is absolutely petty stuff or deliberately and proudly far far to the left, which is a fair enough choice for a party to make, but not one for a party that has any ambitions to appeal to the mythical 'centre ground' like Labour, Cons, LDs and even UKIP.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

A truly dismal place
    Is that the one near Coleshill in North Warwickshire?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Paul Waugh @paulwaugh

Oh, wait...
    Neither of those parties might have a larger membership than the Conservatives' by the middle of the next Parliament. Many Conservative branches (and council seats) are low-hanging fruit for UKIP.

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    DavidL said:

If I was a Tory backbencher the only conversation I would be having with Mercer would be with a shotgun. The Tories need this like a hole in the head. If Farage stands and wins he is in the debates. And Miliband is in Downing Street. What a mess.

No he's not. If Farage is going to be in the debates, Cameron won't be.

Cameron simply will not be in a debate with Farage.
  • Options
    murali_s said:

UKIP to win zero seats at next GE. You heard it here first...
    (Gets coat and leaves quietly)

No, that's probably right, and I think most Kippers accept that even with current elation. They might breakthrough if they retain enough of their current polling, sheer chance will mean enough UKIP votes clump together in one area to win eventually, but it's not sure thing.
  • Options
    @TOPPING
    One of my mates (RIP) used to drive a "pig" in NI.
    No matter the regiment, it was the same drill, follow a route till the officer banged on the bulkhead,brake as hard as he could, the doors would fly open and everyone would roll or dive for cover. As soon as the door banged shut, he would take off like a bat out of hell, and back to base

Then the guards moved in...

To be continued..
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,342
    Regarding the animosity between Cameron and Mercer, recall that Mercer (along with Bercow) was heavily rumoured to be about to defect to New Labour when Gordon arrived on the scene, as one of 'Brown's Blues'. I doubt that kind of shenanigans endeared him.

http://conservativehome.blogs.com/torydiary/2007/09/bercow-and-merc.html
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,258
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I thought Diane James was from the Smoke, not buccolic Wessex, so not local to Eastleigh.

Newark does not particularly look a good place for Farage, but he will look frit if he doesn't stand.

I suspect that he would be a useless MP, but it would be amusing to see him sitting on the benches behind Miliband, thus emphasising vote UKIP get Miliband....

hunchman said:

Neil said:

hunchman said:

Thought so. Can't see him standing personally. The best Thanet seat in the GE is surely Farage's best option. No point in taking an unnecessary risk, and besides he's got no connection with the local area. A local candidate a la Diane James would suit far better IMHO.
  • Options
    Paxman to Barbara Roach, head of a "Cross Party Campaign to tackle UKIP"

"Doesn't the very formation of a cross party campaign from old vested interests like you and your colleagues on other parties demonstrate precisely why UKIP is successful, because you're out of touch with public opinion, and they're not?"

Yep, that's about it
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@TOPPING
    One of my mates (RIP) used to drive a "pig" in NI.
    No matter the regiment, it was the same drill, follow a route till the officer banged on the bulkhead,brake as hard as he could, the doors would fly open and everyone would roll or dive for cover. As soon as the door banged shut, he would take off like a bat out of hell, and back to base

Then the guards moved in...

To be continued..

Looking forward to it...will pick it up tomorrow as sleep awaits.

• Options
    MikeL said:

DavidL said:

If I was a Tory backbencher the only conversation I would be having with Mercer would be with a shotgun. The Tories need this like a hole in the head. If Farage stands and wins he is in the debates. And Miliband is in Downing Street. What a mess.

No he's not. If Farage is going to be in the debates, Cameron won't be.

Cameron simply will not be in a debate with Farage.
    Cameron would be outclassed. He'd be wise to avoid a debate.

• Options
    DavidL Disagree, the Tory candidate, Robert Jenrick, has already been selected and looks highly capable and Farage will be a carpetbagger. If Farage is beaten that will instantly blow a hole in the momentum UKIP gains from winning the Euros (this will not be a by-election solely on Europe), and if Labour is 3rd in a seat Blair gained in '97 that will be humiliating for Ed Miliband, and with the LDs unlikely to trouble the scorers it could be a huge and unexpected boost for Dave!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

A truly dismal place
    Is that the one near Coleshill in North Warwickshire?
    Yup
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

I get a suspicion that Farage won't stand. Downside risk is actually quite high:

-Possibility of Defeat vs Success mixed
    -Blow-in rebound potential. I don't know Newark at all and how they'd react to his apearance on the ballot
    -Double jobbing allegation.

Its a case of either a) wait it out for a better shot which will come or b) cant help himself and even a bit of a chance of success is worth giving it a bash.

Off topic: Syria

OPCW is going to investigate the allegations of chlorine gas attacks by Assad forces. Right now as we sit in our largely comfy homes, some people are being choked by toxic gas in Idlib province.

Aren't we lucky in this country that we can debate whether one silver spoon fed upper middle class bloke is better than another upper middle class bloke. Perhaps we are all fortunate accidents of birth.

We certainly are. It is definitely a major part of the problem, but when things are so messed up, and there are no choices without major risks, we tend toward blissful ignorance there is no doubt.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    isam said:

Paxman to Barbara Roach, head of a "Cross Party Campaign to tackle UKIP"

"Doesn't the very formation of a cross party campaign from old vested interests like you and your colleagues on other parties demonstrate precisely why UKIP is successful, because you're out of touch with public opinion, and they're not?"

Yep, that's about it

Iain Martin @iainmartin1

On @BBCNewsnight @oflynndirector finishing off a great day for @UKIP by shredding the representative of the mainstream parties

Ian Katz @iankatz1000

.@oflynndirector to Barbara Roche: "You're a lovely person but with enemies like you who needs friends?" #newsnight

lol
This discussion has been closed.