Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New culture secretary Sajid Javid now 33-1 for next CON lea

12346»

Comments

• Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    'Thanks for all the lovely tweets. Look: I am still a Conservative MP and my personality and twitter fingers are undiminished! I ain't dead!' mikefabricant

'BREAKING: Veteran Tory MP @Mike_Fabricant sacked as party vice chair for tweeting "about time" re Miller going. Miserable day for Tories.' tomnewtondunn
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited April 2014
    BobaFett said:

isam said:

BobaFett said:

There are far, far, far more rights.

The value of an MP is somewhere between Starbucks barista, social worker, and part qualified solicitor; say £20,000 a year, top whack. They are 15x overpaid IMO.

I replied to your earlier rant on this a couple of days ago, but you may not have seen it. Some of your facts are simply wrong.
    * Expenses theft is considered a crime. That's why several MPs have gone to prison.
    * You don't, contrary to what you've twice said, keep a pension if you return to work after illness
    * You don't get any money for sitting on committees (except chairmen)
    * Virtually all expenses must be receipted
    * Nobody anywhere near it would think it part-time - a 70-hour week is commonplace. (One can argue about how well-directed the work is, but that's true of many jobs)

Obviously there's scope to debate how useful the work is and what it ought to be paid. But you're slinging out allegations which are simply made up (I accept that you may be just misinformed and not making them up yourself), and that doesn't help a sensible discussion.

So this week we see a loose, unlikely affiliation of a couple of fair-minded PB Lefties and a few bright and reasonable Tories sieges by a collection of everyone else, who seem to have taken leave of their senses.

That a clearly decent woman, having faced an inquiry under the system laid out by her own employer and been found not guilty, has been hounded out by the rule of the mob. Were that not bad enough, it's not enough. It seems she must face the sickening sanctimonious rants of a frothing press and essentially forced to give a payoff, to which she was rightfully entitled, to a local charity. Her life and career is in tatters. And yet two words have been lost amid the bloodthirsty baying: not guilty.
    John Terry, not guilty

Not England captain, not going to the World Cup

Your heart must be bleeding

I defended Terry at the time. I would not pick him now as he is a disruptive influence.
    Nothing to do with his court case.

He captains half the England defence for his club!

You're not the England manager. If Terry hadn't been charged by the FA AFTER he was found not guilty in court, he would still be England captain now.

What you think about his influence on the team is neither here nor there
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    AndyJS said:

Miller's life in ruins? She owns a house worth £1.5 million.

I don't know whether she owns it outright or not, and in any event why is that relevant? Her reputation has been trashed. Unfairly so.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    In other news:

"The Dulux dog will be at Wickes Basingstoke this Wednesday"

http://www.basingstokegazette.co.uk/business/11131514.The_Dulux_dog_will_be_at_Wickes_Basingstoke_this_Wednesday/
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,294
    @AveryLP Vlad and the boys want to look at the lights of the Clifton Bridge. They heard that the Avon Gorge Hotel has a great bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5luSo_EGHA

The Mayor's Parking Zone plan is mismanaged at best, but incompetent at worst.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    BobaFett said:

Mick_Pork said:

BobaFett said:

Her life and career is in tatters.

She's not poor, disabled and being kicked out of her home because of the bedroom tax.
    She's a wealthy and well connected career politician who will have a host of employment opportunities at her feet after a stint in the cabinet. As culture secretary she could easily leverage that into any number of appointments in media or arts related boards, trusts and charities. She also went and didn't need to get booted so it's hugely unlikely she will face any wrath from the Cameroon leadership. Quite the reverse. She'll be taken care of and looked after for not turning on Cammie.

Your touching concern for this saintly martyr among MPs is beginning to sound just a trifle incredible, don't you think?

Do you actually think she was dragged kicking and screaming to this horrible cabinet job or do you think it's somewhat more likely she was absolutely delighted to get a juicy posting most tory backbenchers would dream of getting? A posting she then self-evidently f**ked up Royally whether the out of touch spinners want to admit it or not.
    Fairness is fairness. She has been treated unfairly.
    By who exactly?

By the system MPs devised themselves and then systematically weakened every chance they got?

By her employer and party leader who she doesn't seem to be ranting against in fury?

By the press? LOL What goes around, comes around. They will all reap what they have sown.

By the public? How many of them are getting an 11% pay rise and get to write their own rules on expenses?

Might there just be some blame to spare for a cabinet minister who behaved with an arrogance usually reserved for comedy stereotypes as the public looked on in disgust?

Or would that be a bit too much to ask?

• Options
    edited April 2014
    AndyJS said:

Miller's life in ruins? She owns a house worth £1.5 million.

Labourites on here discuss Champers, talk of £40 lunches (w/o alcohol) as being the norm, and think the roots of the working class are fair game to be bulldozed so groovy newbies can embrace vibrant diversity. What do you expect?!
  • Options
    Carola said:

'Thanks for all the lovely tweets. Look: I am still a Conservative MP and my personality and twitter fingers are undiminished! I ain't dead!' mikefabricant

'BREAKING: Veteran Tory MP @Mike_Fabricant sacked as party vice chair for tweeting "about time" re Miller going. Miserable day for Tories.' tomnewtondunn

'Been asked to resign as Vice Chairman, refused, so sacked over HS2 and my views on a recent Cabinet Minister. Still available 4 speeches etc# mikefabricant. Said thinks 'knee-jerk' decision.
  • Options
    Vanilla's gone funny* - for me anyway.

Funny weird. Not funny like Avery's quips.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815

@AveryLP‌ often reminds me of that great Noel Coward song, I can't think why:

Have you had any word
    Of that bloke in the Third',
    Was it Avery, Lympe-Pole, or Seth?
    They had him thrown out of the club in Bombay
    For, apart from his mess bill exceeding his pay,
    He took to pig-sticking in quite the wrong way.
    I wonder what happened to him!

Richard

You win this year's Mrs Joyful Prize for Rafia Poetry Work.

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    BobaFett said:

Mr. Jessop, I haven't changed any for a while, so did so as a precaution (not everything, just stuff that's particularly important).

I tend to write mine down. I have bloody tons and can occasionally be absent-minded.

Cunningly, my luddite nature means online banking isn't an issue.

Mr. Dancer, While you are on and there is all this talk about expenses I am reminded to ask you, have you got yourself a decent accountant yet? As a self-employed author there is all sorts of stuff that the revenue people will accept as legitimate and necessary expenses that can be offset against income (e.g. your computer costs, the books you buy, the DVDs you buy any travel that is related to research) and if you are not claiming them you are daft.
    That's right - he can also claim for the heat and light he uses (presuming his home is also his office).
    Tricky that one, Mr. Fett. True you can claim a proportion of heat and electricity bills but it can get complicated if you do. Is your home still just a residential property or is partially a business premises? Not only could there be liabilities from a judgement on the latter but also some properties, especially those built in the early 70s for some reason, have clauses in the title deeds that they are not to be used for business purposes. So, yes you can claim but it would be sensible to be careful before you do.

HMRC are pretty fair people and, providing you have receipts, are normally very amenable to expenses claims, but if they start to think you are taking the piss they will come down on you like a ton of bricks. A pal of mine who is a successful script-writer got picked on by the VAT people a few years back, he had done nothing wrong but, crivens, they made his life a misery for months.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Carola said:

Carola said:

'Been asked to resign as Vice Chairman, refused, so sacked over HS2 and my views on a recent Cabinet Minister. Still available 4 speeches etc# mikefabricant. Said thinks 'knee-jerk' decision.
    What on earth is that about? Why make the Miller affair even worse with some random, reflexive sacking for a stray tweet?

Cameron's party management is just terrible, or he hires terrible advisors, which is pretty much the same thing. His inability to master basic party politics will be the hallmark of his single term as PM.
    Also, according to Chappers, his recent 'bestiality joke' went down badly.

???

• Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,691
    dr_spyn said:

@AveryLP Vlad and the boys want to look at the lights of the Clifton Bridge. They heard that the Avon Gorge Hotel has a great bar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5luSo_EGHA

The Mayor's Parking Zone plan is mismanaged at best, but incompetent at worst.

Presumably the protestors will be hoping the mayor becomes synonymous with a Sherman?
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

@AveryLP‌ often reminds me of that great Noel Coward song, I can't think why:

Have you had any word
    Of that bloke in the Third',
    Was it Avery, Lympe-Pole, or Seth?
    They had him thrown out of the club in Bombay
    For, apart from his mess bill exceeding his pay,
    He took to pig-sticking in quite the wrong way.
    I wonder what happened to him!

Richard

You win this year's Mrs Joyful Prize for Rafia Poetry Work.

Are you going to name it the Patrick Rock Prize, Seth O Logue? Or have you quite finished being angry and upset due to your own incompetent Miller spinning?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,667
    Carola said:

Carola said:

You can only p**s out of the tent for so long before you're told to leave. Knowing Fabricant, he'll go straight out and start p**sing in.
  • Options
    What on earth is going on?

Is today some new 'Big Society' day for incompetent fops??

George Eaton ‏@georgeeaton 1m

Cameron couldn't afford to allow Fabricant to oppose HS2 and remain in job. Would have encouraged others to rebel. http://bit.ly/1krrvzE

Utterly Bizarre. Much more of this and we'll be entering omnishambles territory again.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2014
    My local MP has been sacked as Tory vice chairman?

Oh dear.

"Channel 4 News ‏@Channel4News 1m
    Michael Fabricant sacked as Conservative vice chairman for his 'about time' tweet in reaction to Maria Miller's resignation #c4news
    Expand"

Actually, I'm quite annoyed by this. Cameron really is a shit.
  • Options

Carola said:

Carola said:

You can only p**s out of the tent for so long before you're told to leave. Knowing Fabricant, he'll go straight out and start p**sing in.
    Just wondering how it will go down with some backbenchers.
  • Options
    Carola said:

Carola said:

Carola said:

Could be, 'He's been sacked for saying what we all thought?'
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited April 2014
    His inability to master basic party politics will be the hallmark of his single term as PM.

Oh come on, the back benchers are just as much to blame. They complain the Miller thing is 'getting in the way of the message' and when they get their way they come out with d8ckhead tweets like that, when the affair is still raw and the press are hunting around for new angles to this story.

Fabricant prolonged the story, not Cameron. He's a senior tory party officer criticising his own bosses judgement.
  • Options
    marktheowlmarktheowl Posts: 169
    SeanT said:

Carola said:

Carola said:

What on earth is that about? Why make the Miller affair even worse with some random, reflexive sacking for a stray tweet?

Cameron's party management is just terrible, or he hires terrible advisors, which is pretty much the same thing. His inability to master basic party politics will be the hallmark of his single term as PM.
    You have to hand it to the Tories, they're the Boggis, Bunce and Bean of political cock-ups. Fabricant must be one of their better assets in certain parts of the country- a cut-price, funnier Farage who seems to have stolen Boris' hair for a bet.

Think it may have more to do with HS2 more than Miller though - he's one of those vehemently leading the campaign against it and so would've been a bit off message if the Tories expect a big fight over it. Would be interesting who wanted him sacked, did he directly report to Michael Green?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Admirable sacking by Cameron and it allows Fabricant to spend more time with his hair pieces.

This is the kind of pro-wig leadership that is essential from any Prime Minister looking after the interests of follicularly challenged middle aged men and frankly Fabricant should be thankful that we have in David Cameron a man determined to ensure that the hirsute averse bonce of the member for Lichfield will be seeing more of its owner.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    David Clegg ‏@davieclegg 30m
    Fascinating new #indyref poll from @Survation in tomorrow's @Daily_Record. Plus a look at Euro election voting intentions.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Carola said:

Carola said:

Carola said:

They seemed upset that Millar was clinging on and damaging them and the party while Cammie looked on impotently. I doubt it occurred to very many of them that the actual problem was not booting out Fabricant all along.

Well they know now!

LOL

Incredible stuff.
  • Options
    @TheUnionDivvie he has been #tagged on Twitter as The Architect of Doom.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    "Cameron's party management is just terrible"

What did you expect? I have been saying on here for years that Cameron is just a nasty little PR Spiv with zero leadership ability. He rode the wave of a party desperate for power by imitating Blair and is in a job for which is is unsuited, unqualified and incapable of doing well.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Cameron has just annoyed 28,000 voters in one of the Tories' safest constituencies by sacking Michael Fabricant as vice-chairman.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited April 2014

To be honest, who cares? Just shut up and get on with sticking it to Labour. I honestly think that what has angered some passed-over back benchers isn;t the thought that Cameron might lose. THey could easily cope with that.

Its the thought he might win they can;'t abide. They probably hate the economy coming good almost as much as labour.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Cameron has just annoyed 28,000 voters in one of the Tories' safest constituencies by sacking Michael Fabricant as vice-chairman.

The timing astounds me. Rubbing salt in a wound.
  • Options
    taffys said:

His inability to master basic party politics will be the hallmark of his single term as PM.

Oh come on, the back benchers are just as much to blame. They complain the Miller thing is 'getting in the way of the message' and when they get their way they come out with d8ckhead tweets like that, when the affair is still raw and the press are hunting around for new angles to this story.

Fabricant prolonged the story, not Cameron. He's a senior tory party officer criticising his own bosses judgement.

Who even KNEW that Fabricant has waded in??? It's Fabricant not Boris. Journos do not hang on his every word though they do enjoy laughing at his hair.
  • Options
    Blimey. Ain't politicians crap?
  • Options
    Parking in Cycle lanes...strictly forbidden.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvGaSct3cJk
  • Options
    alawevans ‏@alawevans 1m

"To fire someone at the first sign of trouble is a sign of weakness not leadership" Dave says on the day he sacks Fabricant....
  • Options
    New thread.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,156
    Carola said:

BobaFett said:

Mr. Jessop, I haven't changed any for a while, so did so as a precaution (not everything, just stuff that's particularly important).

I tend to write mine down. I have bloody tons and can occasionally be absent-minded.

Cunningly, my luddite nature means online banking isn't an issue.

Mr. Dancer, While you are on and there is all this talk about expenses I am reminded to ask you, have you got yourself a decent accountant yet? As a self-employed author there is all sorts of stuff that the revenue people will accept as legitimate and necessary expenses that can be offset against income (e.g. your computer costs, the books you buy, the DVDs you buy any travel that is related to research) and if you are not claiming them you are daft.
    That's right - he can also claim for the heat and light he uses (presuming his home is also his office).
    Tricky that one, Mr. Fett. True you can claim a proportion of heat and electricity bills but it can get complicated if you do. Is your home still just a residential property or is partially a business premises? Not only could there be liabilities from a judgement on the latter but also some properties, especially those built in the early 70s for some reason, have clauses in the title deeds that they are not to be used for business purposes. So, yes you can claim but it would be sensible to be careful before you do.

HMRC are pretty fair people and, providing you have receipts, are normally very amenable to expenses claims, but if they start to think you are taking the piss they will come down on you like a ton of bricks. A pal of mine who is a successful script-writer got picked on by the VAT people a few years back, he had done nothing wrong but, crivens, they made his life a misery for months.
    Just become a farmer, you can claim the whole shebang against tax then,.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,156
    Is the Bayern match as bad to watch as it sounds ?
This discussion has been closed.