Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New culture secretary Sajid Javid now 33-1 for next CON lea

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,488
    Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

Dear Dear , you must be a labour drone to be still banging on about the FM staying in a hotel years ago. Nobody gives a toss , we do not expect him to stay in a motel.

It was Nicola Sturgeon that specifically mentioned the FM staying in a hotel years ago.

Are you saying she is a Labour drone?

Careful, they might send the boys round for a quiet chat
    It would not be quiet, there would be a rummle
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Did any PBers make any money from Miller's cabinet exit?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    isam said:

Paul Nuttalls take on EU's Clever Move on Roaming charges

twitter.com/paulnuttallukip/status/453897993549135873/photo/1

Is Mr Javid the Conservatives counter-Nuttall baldie? :-)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Neil said:

I think that's the point.

That was exactly the point
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

isam said:

Is Mr Javid the Conservatives counter-Nuttall baldie? :-)
    Yes...

Think Labours is Chuka and the LDs is Vince!
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Grandiose said:

Mick_Pork said:

Mr. Pork, Clegg raising the Lords is just meant to excite those who delight in rocket sandwiches, and annoy Conservatives backbenchers..

It's more likely to annoy the rocket sandwiches and delight the tory backbenchers considering what a colossal mess Clegg made of it. Soft differentiation or not it's fairly bizarre to highlight one of your biggest failures.

Clegg managed to snag himself a new PR drone not that long ago so if this is the new strategy after the Farage 'triumph' he'll need to give just a touch more substance to the ever dwindling yellows to get them motivated.

The Lib Dems need to get relevant and be relevant. If they can do that, they can denounce the Tories about banging on about things nobody cares about - topics like Europe, or the plight of the few paying 50p tax - and have a narrative for the campaign.
    The Farage strategy was pretty obviously a desperate throw from a leader all out of ideas. Clegg simply doesn't know how to play the election. If he wants to differentiate he can hardly leave it till a few weeks out from polling day as the voter will not buy it for a second. On the other hand differentiating on things nobody cares about will just get him ignored.

For differentiation to be viable he has to start doing it now and he has to mean it. Otherwise the voter will just write it off as vapid posturing.

If Clegg doesn't want to differentiate then he has to own the con dem coalition and bet everything on a still theoretical recovery while actually receiving a still VERY theoretical gratitude from the voter for the economy.

He's trapped and the only thing he seems to know for sure is that he has to protect what he has right now. That would involve a core vote strategy but the fact is that most of the lib dem vote has vanished and shows no sign whatsoever of coming back.

The bottom line is that Clegg is toxic so even if he had a coherent strategy he's the last person who should to be front and centre carrying it out. Because of that fundamental weakness irrelevance is what the lib dems are going to get for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Larry the Cat ‏@Number10cat 15m

Sajid Javid has joined the cabinet - that means it now has twice as many bald men than there are women. #CalmDownDear

Only twice as many? - personally I can't think of any bald women in the cabinet.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Several by the sounds of it. Not as much money as she 'saved' of course.

*chortle*
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Cameron didn't give the equality brief to Nicky Morgan because she voted against gay marriage:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/apr/09/downing-street-womens-minister-subordinate-man

I did wonder about that. Maybe she's only the Minister for Straight Women?

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

There will be some polling repuations in the dust come the day after the EU results. They are all over the place and they cannot decide between them which party is 1st, 2nd or 3rd.
    Dunno which polls you're looking at...
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,488
    Scott_P said:

Neil said:

I think that's the point.

That was exactly the point
    Green cheese, best the Scottish Tories get is a train ride to Edinburgh and taxi to Holyrood, desperate because they cannot get to stay at decent hotels with the big boys.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Jury out in MP Nigel Evans sex abuse trial...
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    According to the Telegraph, Miller is coming under pressure not to accept the £18,000 payoff for leaving the cabinet.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Only some of those of faith tend to have a problem with gay marriage, or those using faith based reasoning.
    Says more about religion than it does about homosexuality.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    RodCrosby said:

Jury out in MP Nigel Evans sex abuse trial...

Indeed.

96.5RadioWave ‏@965RadioWave 27m

NEWS: The jury in the trial of Lancashire MP Nigel Evans has retired to consider it's verdicts http://www.wave965.com/news/local/jury-out-in-evans-trial/
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,156
    AndyJS said:

I made £35, Stuart made £200, I am guessing TSE has made some cash too.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

According to the Telegraph, Miller is under pressure not to accept the £18,000 payoff for leaving the cabinet.

They shouldn't get it anyway. If I was busted down a rank for whatever reason, I don't get a payoff. Another example of MPs not being in the real world.

• Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

AndyJS said:

Cameron didn't give the equality brief to Nicky Morgan because she voted against gay marriage:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/apr/09/downing-street-womens-minister-subordinate-man

No more than say the Minister for Housing would be if he or she opposed same-sex marriage. The responsibility of the Minister for Women is to combat discrimination on the grounds of sex, and possibly gender; the responsibility for combatting discrimination on the grounds of sexuality falls to the equalities minister.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    @isam

Nuttall is another fool who doesn't understand the telecoms market. It's a fiercely competitive space and the companies will have to absorb this loss of profits, which were entirely unjustifiable profiteering in any case.

That all said as his column is in the Sunday Sport it is clearly meant only in jest - perhaps as a means to reach out to hamster-eating crossword-solving aliens from the far reaches of the EU.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,954

AndyJS said:

According to the Telegraph, Miller is under pressure not to accept the £18,000 payoff for leaving the cabinet.

They shouldn't get it anyway. If I was busted down a rank for whatever reason, I don't get a payoff. Another example of MPs not being in the real world.

Strictly speaking, only if you are demoted for incompetence, or some similar problem with doing your job. But that makes your point precisely.

• Options
    @TSE

That's because your contract doesn't stipulate that. Presumably hers does. Let the poor woman at least take the payoff after being hounded out if her job by a mob who don't grasp the concept of "not guilty".
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

AndyJS said:

No more than say the Minister for Housing would be if he or she opposed same-sex marriage. The responsibility of the Minister for Women is to combat discrimination on the grounds of sex, and possibly gender; the responsibility for combatting discrimination on the grounds of sexuality falls to the equalities minister.
    Wow! I never knew that. Glad you cleared that up for me.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,991
    Pretty mixed figures on trade today: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10754315/British-exports-at-three-and-a-half-year-low.html

Exports down to their lowest level since November 2010 but the trade deficit is falling because imports are falling even faster (import substitution?).

"In the three months to February, the trade deficit has almost halved to £4.8bn, compared with £8.7bn in the previous quarter. In that time, goods exports fell 2.5pc to £72.7bn, while imports of goods dipped 4.7pc to £99bn. "

A net improvement is good for growth but the export figures just aren't. So much to do, so little time.
  • Options
    isam said:
    Surely all of UKIP's support, above their 2010 3%, is soft?
  • Options
    Sorry - that was for @TFS
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

According to the Telegraph, Miller is coming under pressure not to accept the £18,000 payoff for leaving the cabinet.

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 4h

Asked if Maria Miller will get severance pay off, PM's official spksman :"That's a matter for individual Members of Parliament"

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,991

AndyJS said:

It is really bizarre isn't it? She has made it clear the decision to resign was her's alone. Why does she get money?

• Options
    Accused acquitted in Keith Blakelock trial.
  • Options

Grandiose said:

AndyJS said:

Wow! I never knew that. Glad you cleared that up for me.
    No need to be sarcastic. I meant only to elaborate how I, and how I think you should, consider this issue.
  • Options
    @JohnRentoul: Looks as if Nigel Farage may be about to declare as UKIP candidate for Basingstoke. But what if Maria Miller stands down? (Con hold.)
  • Options
    Not surprised to hear that YahooMail's security has been compromised. About a year ago I lost ten years worth of emails thanks to them. Switched to Gmail.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

AndyJS said:

It is really bizarre isn't it? She has made it clear the decision to resign was her's alone. Why does she get money?

The same way football managers and players get pay offs for being rubbish at their job
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    BobaFett said:

@TSE

That's because your contract doesn't stipulate that. Presumably hers does. Let the poor woman at least take the payoff after being hounded out if her job by a mob who don't grasp the concept of "not guilty".

Well jeepers. When you put it like that I can only imagine the gruelling hardship of the 11% pay rise MPs are in line for. You DO realise she isn't actually going to jail don't you?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@JohnRentoul: Looks as if Nigel Farage may be about to declare as UKIP candidate for Basingstoke. But what if Maria Miller stands down? (Con hold.)

Lol,,idiot. He'll get crucified on expenses because he'll campaign on it.

• Options
    @Sean_Kemp: I've just invented a fantastic scenario where Farage says he will run in Basingstoke, Miller stands down and Boris takes her place.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Sean_Kemp: I've just invented a fantastic scenario where Farage says he will run in Basingstoke, Miller stands down and Boris takes her place.

Boris by 40%, Farage resigns. UKIP disappear within a year.

• Options
    BobaFett said:

@TSE

Behave. 18 grand for being demoted? I know 18 grand only buys a round of drinks in PBMockney land, but that's only a few grand shy of what I take home a year. It's as if politicians want us to hate them.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,667
    BobaFett said:

@Josias

No. It means you are a Tory who was once a Liberal. Easy concept to grasp.

And you are a bounty hunter who was sent into the future and a galaxy far, far away after a rather silly accident involving your jet pack, a mango, a postal ballot and some whale oil. You are now aiding the new dark side to victory over the forces of good and righteousness!

Darth Miliband, aided by his henchman robo-Balls, is arrayed against the Jedi forces of Dave Etonwalker and his Padawan, Sajid Javid. The heroes are guided by the mystical voices of the dead Tory Master, Leia ("Maggie") Thatcher.

The comic character is the Gungan Harriet Harman, a creature so ludicrous that she nearly killed the entire series.

Any similarity between Jabba the Hut and Eric Pickles is purely coincidental.
  • Options

LOL

Allie Renison ‏@AllieRenison 1m

Clearly no one bothered to check - Farage is *presenting UKIP's candidate* in Basingstoke http://www.ukip.org/ukip_leader_nigel_farage_keynote_speaker_at_ukip_public_meeting_in_basingstoke_tonight
  • Options
    @JohnRentoul: Deleted that tweet. Farage not about to declare for Basingstoke. As you were.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 4,034
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

I made £35, Stuart made £200, I am guessing TSE has made some cash too.
    OGH said he bet on her at 3/1. I won a related bet with William Hill on 'Any Cabinet exit by 2015' which I made late last year.
  • Options

BobaFett said:

@TSE

Behave. 18 grand for being demoted? I know 18 grand only buys a round of drinks in PBMockney land, but that's only a few grand shy of what I take home a year. It's as if politicians want us to hate them.

I have never understood the vitriol against politicians, but the acceptance of grotesque salaries for thugs on the football field who can't even shoot straight.
    They're both repulsive creatures.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@JohnRentoul: Deleted that tweet. Farage not about to declare for Basingstoke. As you were.

Awwwwwwwww, that would've been SWEEEEEET
  • Options
    Farage will probably go for Folkestone or Thanet.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    RodCrosby said:

There will be some polling repuations in the dust come the day after the EU results. They are all over the place and they cannot decide between them which party is 1st, 2nd or 3rd.
    Dunno which polls you're looking at...
    Err these:

TNS - 3-7 Apr - Lab/Ukip/Con
    Populus - 4-6 Apr - Lab/Con/Ukip
    Yougov - 3-4Apr - Lab/Ukip/Con
    Survation - 4 Apr - Lab/Ukip/Con
    Com Res - 2-3 April = Lab Ukip tied/Con
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Awwwwwwwww, that would've been SWEEEEEET
    Rentoul is a complete plum. Always was, always will be.

Imagine a slightly less manic Hodges and you've pretty much got it.
  • Options
    Almost worth renaming myself Artful Dodger and running in Basingstoke on a handkerchief stealing ticket
  • Options

Scott_P said:

"The Constituency of resigned Cabinet Minister Maria Miller will host Nigel Farage at a public meeting this evening.

The message from the UKIP leader will be 'strong' and will call on the voters of Basingstoke to show their support at the ballot box.

The party will also present UKIP's Parliamentary Candidate for Basingstoke, Alan Stone at tonight's meeting starting at 8pm."

http://www.ukip.org/ukip_leader_nigel_farage_keynote_speaker_at_ukip_public_meeting_in_basingstoke_tonight
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited April 2014
    DavidL said:

Pretty mixed figures on trade today: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10754315/British-exports-at-three-and-a-half-year-low.html

Exports down to their lowest level since November 2010 but the trade deficit is falling because imports are falling even faster (import substitution?).

"In the three months to February, the trade deficit has almost halved to £4.8bn, compared with £8.7bn in the previous quarter. In that time, goods exports fell 2.5pc to £72.7bn, while imports of goods dipped 4.7pc to £99bn. "

A net improvement is good for growth but the export figures just aren't. So much to do, so little time.

David

A holding pattern.

Which is appropriate given that it was a fall of the imports of "erratics", or this month specifically aircraft intermediates, which was equivalent to the net improvement.

It is worth noting though that the revisions to January have been positive and substantial (£0.4 bn down for the defiicit) and both PMIs and industry surveys have recently been very upbeat on both goods and services exports.

The PMI figures are well covered on PB but here, for example, is a recent British Chambers of Commerce report:

The British Chambers of Commerce’s (BCC) quarterly economic survey showed export orders rose 3.9% and export sales increased 3.8% in the service sector.

The six key manufacturing balances also reached record levels. Domestic sales jumped 3.8%, domestic orders rose 4.2%, employment expectations were up 4.0%, investment in plant and machinery grew 3.7%, investment in training gained 3.3%, and turnover confidence advanced 6.7%.

Almost all the key balances in the services sector remain above 2007 pre-recession levels, the BCC added.

The above figures are all annual, but with accelerating growth particularly over the most recent month:

Manufacturing output for February 2014: up 1.0% on the month; up 3.8% on the year

Total industrial production: up 0.9% on the month, up 2.7% on the year

So my hunch is to watch the upcoming revisions closely. I expect we will see much stronger figures once updated.
  • Options
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

"The Constituency of resigned Cabinet Minister Maria Miller will host Nigel Farage at a public meeting this evening.

The message from the UKIP leader will be 'strong' and will call on the voters of Basingstoke to show their support at the ballot box.

The party will also present UKIP's Parliamentary Candidate for Basingstoke, Alan Stone at tonight's meeting starting at 8pm."

http://www.ukip.org/ukip_leader_nigel_farage_keynote_speaker_at_ukip_public_meeting_in_basingstoke_tonight
    Disappointing. We want the full Farage frown 24/7 in Basingstoke.
    Oh well, Miller will step down anyway IMO.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 4,034

BobaFett said:

@TSE

I have never understood the vitriol against politicians, but the acceptance of grotesque salaries for thugs on the football field who can't even shoot straight.
    The footballers provide the service the punter wants, by and large. Politicians seem to the man on the street never to do their jobs well, and only ever to screw the public.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Quincel said:

BobaFett said:

@TSE

The footballers provide the service the punter wants, by and large. Politicians seem to the man on the street never to do their jobs well, and only ever to screw the public.
    Yes, football fans are far too accepting. They get what they deserve (and pay through the nose for)
    Politicians are just grim.
  • Options
    YouGov ‏@YouGov 58m

John Humphrys asks: What damage has been done to David Cameron after Maria Miller resigns? Have your say: http://y-g.co/Lcinz4
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    antifrank said:
    The FT author seems to misunderstand it. It is not a paper arguing for Brexit, its a paper recommending the best course of action after Brexit has been decided.

"A referendum has resulted in an “Out” vote and Her Majesty’s Government has triggered Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty. What measures does the UK need to take in the following two years, domestically (within the UK), vis-a-vis the remaining EU and internationally, in order to promote a free and prosperous economy?"

http://www.iea.org.uk/brexit
  • Options
    @JananGanesh: “@DPJHodges: Labour's response to the Maria Miller re-shuffle is embarrassing > Telegraph http://t.co/sTXxSB7ZVG” He's not wrong, is he?
  • Options
    @TFS

So you advocate changing people's contracts retrospectively?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    I'm not sure that the state of UKIP in Basingstoke inspires full confidence:

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/10735260.Basingstoke_UKIP_councillor_Stephen_West_did_send_resignation_email/
  • Options
    @ScottP

As regular as clockwork. A disaster for Ed Miliband. LOL.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    jo lynn ‏@pryogi 10m

Maria Miller quits over expenses - as Tories say David Cameron should have acted sooner http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/maria-miller-quits-over-expenses--as-tories-say-david-cameron-should-have-acted-sooner-9247797.html

dianedalziel ‏@deedeegy 3m

David Cameron: Strip Maria Miller of her £17,000 payoff http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/david-cameron-strip-maria-miller-of-her-17-000-payoff? via @UKChange Please sign & share #ludicrous
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@JananGanesh: “@DPJHodges: Labour's response to the Maria Miller re-shuffle is embarrassing > Telegraph http://t.co/sTXxSB7ZVG” He's not wrong, is he?

That's a very funny article.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    BobaFett said:

@TFS

I'd be surprised if it were actually in her contract. Such figures are, I understand, usually provided in additional paperwork e.g. rulebooks, which change from time to time. In such a case a person can resist a significant change in terms and conditions, but only in the context of their wider remuneration. Plausibly it could be different for MPs, though.
  • Options

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/10735260.Basingstoke_UKIP_councillor_Stephen_West_did_send_resignation_email/

They did pretty well in the 2013 local elections. Hopefully they'll do better this May.

http://www.basingstoke.gov.uk/browse/council-and-democracy/councillors-democracy-and-elections/elections/results/2013/default.htm
  • Options
    @JananGanesh: Once you hear yourself talking in public about how many women in the cabinet are mothers, you are in some icky, icky territory.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Farage will probably go for Folkestone or Thanet.

Thanet South looking increasingly likely. You don't 'host' a Bloomberg journalist in the constituency unless something is afoot:

Farage Recruits UKIP People’s Army in Dickens County to Repel EU

See: http://bloom.bg/1earsFi
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

antifrank said:
    The FT author seems to misunderstand it. It is not a paper arguing for Brexit, its a paper recommending the best course of action after Brexit has been decided.

"A referendum has resulted in an “Out” vote and Her Majesty’s Government has triggered Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty. What measures does the UK need to take in the following two years, domestically (within the UK), vis-a-vis the remaining EU and internationally, in order to promote a free and prosperous economy?"

The FT is the most Europhile rag in the country. It's read by the large corporations who just love Europe and its regulations which limit competition from smaller companies. And it won't want to upset its European readers.

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322

antifrank said:

The FT is, and has been for decades, an ardent, full-throated supporter of European integration. It completely rejected the incredibly strong case against the Euro and was utterly, utterly wrong on the issue. They are doing exactly the same thing again.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I'm glad we agree on something!
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Mick_Pork said:

YouGov ‏@YouGov 58m

John Humphrys asks: What damage has been done to David Cameron after Maria Miller resigns? Have your say: http://y-g.co/Lcinz4

Beeb following any opportunity to undermine Conservatives. Not surprised.

• Options
    BobaFett said:

@TFS

Why not? Give 'em 90 days notice, if they don't like it, then can leave. Seems to work out in the real world.

I'm just amazed that any cabinet minister gets 18 grand for losing a promotion. Doesn't that bother you?
  • Options
    edited April 2014

Scott_P said:

Richard

The funniest line was:

Unfortunately for Labour, Nicky Morgan is both a mother and a woman.

Is it possible to be a mother without being a woman?

Almost Porcine.

[But I agree it was one of Dan's finest.]
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    AveryLP said:

A holding pattern.
    a bunch of minutiae
    more minutiae

ALP, it's easy to become confused when looking at the details of one particular set of figures. It's important to take a step back and look at the larger pattern once in a while.

Looking at the larger pattern since 2010 and it seems pretty clear that this holding pattern has lasted about four years so far. Osborne promised better.

You could argue that this is an improvement on the trade performance under Blair and Brown, which was abysmal, but equally one could argue that we hit bottom on trade sometime around 2005 and if Osborne was going to turn things around we would have started to see some results by now.

Look what Ken Clarke achieved in four years as Chancellor. It's not enough to point at revisions and minutiae after four years. We should be asking ourselves why Osborne hasn't achieved more.
  • Options
    It's worth considering that the guy that wrote the Brexit essay isn't even a eurosceptic:

Commenting on his win, Mr Mansfield said he had no view on the desirability of Brexit, but in the event of Britons voting to leave the EU, his paper set out a course of action that would “maximise the potential for an open, prosperous and globally engaged UK”.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@JananGanesh: Once you hear yourself talking in public about how many women in the cabinet are mothers, you are in some icky, icky territory.

You mean when anyone but Miller does it?

This is as much to do with Miller’s handling of her affair as Cameron’s response to it. Throughout the investigation into her expenses, and even before then, she has played the working mother card. Last year, she even boasted about how she was the only mother in the Cabinet. In her lengthy and obfuscatory responses to Kathryn Hudson, the Standards Commissioner, she pointed out that she was a working mother, who had extra responsibilities beside those as an MP, and that she relied on an au pair to prepare her house for the arrival of her family at weekends. In her resignation letter, Miller reminded the Prime Minister that she was a “working mother educated at a South Wales comprehensive school”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/what-happened-to-camerons-pledge-to-increase-the-number-of-women-in-cabinet-replacing-maria-miller-with-sajid-javid-doesnt-exactly-help-9248668.html

Rentoul then Hodges then this. Bit of a desperate day for the scottish tory surgers.

Almost as bad as Avery's inept comedy spin for Miller.

*chortle*
  • Options
    edited April 2014

The next Basingstoke and Deane council by-election seems to have been caused by a Conservative councillor's resignation.

"Cllr Graham Round has resigned from Basingstoke & Deane BC following pressure from myself and the media to state where his main home is."

twitter.com/cllrstephenwest/status/453200284257615872
  • Options

I'm just amazed that any cabinet minister gets 18 grand for losing a promotion. Doesn't that bother you?

I'd have thought that the events of the past few days show exactly why they do.

If you were hounded out of your job when your employer, following its own procedures, had found that the allegations against you were unfounded, you'd have a cast-iron case for unfair dismissal and breach of contract.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    David Cameron turns Britain from the doldrums into the fastest growing g-7 nation in the teeth of a thousand doom mongers and yet suddenly his judgement is fatally flawed over a no-mark minister exonerated by her peers who resigns anyway.

I mean FFS. its the lobby that's in danger of being out of touch here, and the government should say so.

• Options

The next Basingstoke and Deane council by-election seems to have been caused by a Conservative councillor's resignation.

"Cllr Graham Round has resigned from Basingstoke & Deane BC following pressure from myself and the media to state where his main home is."

Yes, but at least they know that he has resigned.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

And that's a keeper.

Those who laugh at CCHQ's risible attempts at spinning should always remember that PB hosts obliviously out of touch comedy of an even higher calibre from it's most 'illustrious' Cameroons.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

BobaFett said:

@TFS

The £280,000 paid to a BBC executive who resigned having failed to become DG certainly bothered me, the 18K ,not so much. - In principle I'm against all tax payer funded golden hellos/goodbyes.
  • Options

If you were hounded out of your job when your employer, following its own procedures, had found that the allegations against you were unfounded, you'd have a cast-iron case for unfair dismissal and breach of contract.
    Are we talking about Maria Miller as Culture Sec, or John Terry as England captain?.
  • Options
    @RichardN

Quite.
  • Options
    @TFS

You seem to have no grasp of employment law.
  • Options

isam said:
    Surely all of UKIP's support, above their 2010 3%, is soft?
    isam said:

iSam, this is an issue Eurosceptics can't win on. Even people that go on holiday just once or twice a year, as Nuttall suggests, are going to support this move. People often get hit with £100 chargers unexpectedly from this stuff, and it's hard to believe that annual phone bills will go up by that much, if they go up at all. Even if they did, it's preferable for people to be able to plan what they're doing, rather than get unexpected costs, plus the nuisance of not being able to use their phone on holiday.

The only sensible strategy here for UKIP is to move on and focus on the bigger issues on the EU.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

AveryLP said:

A holding pattern.
    a bunch of minutiae
    more minutiae

ALP, it's easy to become confused when looking at the details of one particular set of figures. It's important to take a step back and look at the larger pattern once in a while.

Looking at the larger pattern since 2010 and it seems pretty clear that this holding pattern has lasted about four years so far. Osborne promised better.

You could argue that this is an improvement on the trade performance under Blair and Brown, which was abysmal, but equally one could argue that we hit bottom on trade sometime around 2005 and if Osborne was going to turn things around we would have started to see some results by now.

Look what Ken Clarke achieved in four years as Chancellor. It's not enough to point at revisions and minutiae after four years. We should be asking ourselves why Osborne hasn't achieved more.
    Oblitus

Even Pork blindfolded could have achieved a trade turnaround in the mid 1990s. Oil and Gas output was reaching its peak and global prices were at their relative highest. We were substantial net energy exporters and rolling in incoming cash.

You can't rebalance trade when Oil and Gas production is falling from a third of the 1990s output at a rate of up to 15% per annum, however strong your manufacturing industry.

If you look at our core export manufacturing sectors then there has been a substantial turnaround under Osborne and Cable (motor vehicles, pharmaceuticals, aeronautics etc.). And this at a time when our major export market, the EU, has been in recession.

What is needed is a stabilisation of North Sea output, continued energy consumption productivity, energy import substitution through gas fracking, and, the continued development of those industries where the UK has a reasonable chance of maintaining competitive advantage in the global economy. We also need to continue to expand our markets beyond just the EU and US. And, if Mr. Brooke is not celebrating on the golf course, some planned import substitution where there is clear cost benefit.

This is not a single term effort. There is no magic wand Osborne and Cable can wave. Just hard long term strategic development. The foundations are being laid.

• Options

If she's been treated unlawfully, then she should persue it. That 18 grand can kick start her legal fund.
    You rich Tories don't understand, do you? But then again, neither do the rich Labourites.
    18 grand. That's a lot of money to me, and most people in this country. 18 grand just because you get demoted from cabinet. Money goes to money, I guess.

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    isam said:

Are we talking about Maria Miller as Culture Sec, or John Terry as England captain?.
    Do you think Maria might turn up to the next DCMS questions and hang around the despatch box as if she might be needed to answer a question at any moment?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    isam said:

Nah. Football is just the same as politics. Everyone knows that. Hence the clear cut lines for resignations and MPs/ministerial behaviour that have always existed. Oh that's right, they don't. Miller just proved they don't.

It simply depends on the circumstances because there is no magical arbiter apart from the judgement of those at the centre of the scandal and the judgement of those who can fire them or put pressure on them.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I seem to recall (though I have neither the time nor inclination to research it right now) that Secretaries of State are not employees and have none of the conventional rights of employees. So no right to claim unfair dismissal, redundancy, wrongful dismissal or whatever. These payments are, I seem to recall, in lieu of those rights.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

@TFS

You seem to have no grasp of employment law.

Probably not, I'd agree with you on that. I'm not particularly singling out Miller for the 18 grand sweetener, hell, didn't Chris Huhne claim 17 when he resigned to fight to clear his name? I'm just amazed that it doesn't bother you, that a Cabinet minister gets 18 for stepping down. On top of everything else.

• Options

If she's been treated unlawfully, then she should persue it. That 18 grand can kick start her legal fund.
    You rich Tories don't understand, do you? But then again, neither do the rich Labourites.
    18 grand. That's a lot of money to me, and most people in this country. 18 grand just because you get demoted from cabinet. Money goes to money, I guess.

I think what Richard was saying was than in any other profession it would be wrongful, as so in politics it was the payoff for it not being so. However, I don't agree; I think there's something contradictory about "having failed my constituents" and claiming a payoff.

In general, yes, politicians are underpaid compared to many comparable jobs, but, fundamentally, that is the wrong comparison. Politicians are paid in their place in history and their ability to change things, as well as serve the public.
  • Options
    @TFS - so if you lost your job through constructive dismissal you would neither get nor expect any compensation?

• Options
    Grandiose said:

I think what Richard was saying was than in any other profession it would be wrongful, as so in politics it was the payoff for it not being so. However, I don't agree; I think there's something contradictory about "having failed my constituents" and claiming a payoff.

In general, yes, politicians are underpaid compared to many comparable jobs, but, fundamentally, that is the wrong comparison. Politicians are paid in their place in history and their ability to change things, as well as serve the public.
    I know what Richard is saying, and it's fair, when put like that, but, who hounded her out? Cameron? The press? John Mann? Who would she claim against? Would she have a bullying case against her fellow Tory MPs who thought she should go? So I don't think you can put it in the same context as employee law.

• Options
    isam said:

isam said:

They're fiddling from a state they openly hate to fund it's dismantling, rather than from taxpayers to pay for luxuries.

Ah, the old 'I'm only fiddling my employer because he's a capitalist swine' argument.

It's still taxpayers' money.
    isam said:

What did you make of Cameron's response to being asked to read the Brexit winners plans?

As I posted at the end of the last thread, I think it's a really excellent document, well worth a read. I'm glad Cameron plans to read it.

Still, UKIP's po-faced response to his quite amusing answer was reminiscent of the humourlessness of the Guardian.
    He said he plans to read it?

"12:33 - "Leaving the European Union should become part of our long-term economic plan," suggests David Nuttall. Cameron responds by saying he may bother to read the paper on leaving the EU - but that it might get beaten in his holiday reading list by the novel from Nadine Dorries, of all people. And with that, the session ends."

http://politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2014/04/09/pmqs-as-it-happens-after-the-resignation-the-mauling
    "To help Dave with that reading list the IEA have sent him a copy of both Mansfield’s pamphlet and Nads’ book:"

http://order-order.com/2014/04/09/winner-from-manila/
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    The FT's Matthew Engel re the Miller affair."One gets an increasing sense,that as a Prime Minister,he's rather feeble-minded".

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/45bea414-bff3-11e3-b6e8-00144feabdc0.html?ftcamp=published_links/rss/world_uk_politics/feed//product&siteedition=uk#axzz2yP9mQ3Jv
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,101
    The final para of the Hodges artickè;

So this is where we’ve got to. According to Labour it is a disgrace an Asian man now has responsibility for equalities issues. And it is a disgrace the Conservative minister for women now answers to a man, even though she always has, and even though Labour’s women’s minister answers to a man, and always has. It’s a disgrace there aren’t any mothers in the cabinet. And it’s also a disgrace that a mother has been promoted to attend the cabinet as women’s minister, because she didn’t vote for gay marriage. And the person who’s been sent out to say all this is Labour’s shadow women’s minister, who also isn’t a mother, and has said categorically she doesn’t want to be a mother.

And Labour has the front to say David Cameron has made a mess of the Maria Miller affair.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

@TFS - so if you lost your job through constructive dismissal you would neither get nor expect any compensation?

Of course I would, I'd be straight on to Thompsons!
    That ain't the argument, though. It's the 18 grand for having to leave cabinet that I don't like. Huhne was eligible for it. Was Laws able to claim it?
    As I said down thread, say she was going to fight it, who is she claiming against?
    At the least, you could say she's bought the government into disrepute, that's a sticky wicket, a bit of a catch all charge, but feasible.

• Options
    edited April 2014

I know what Richard is saying, and it's fair, when put like that, but, who hounded her out? Cameron? The press? John Mann? Who would she claim against? Would she have a bullying case against her fellow Tory MPs who thought she should go? So I don't think you can put it in the same context as employee law.

Surely that is exactly the point - it's not a normal employment, and so there are none of the normal rights. If you get fired because the PM decides he needs a woman to balance up the cabinet, or because you've had to take the rap for something completely outside your control, you can't sue for sex discrimination or unfair dismissal. So, in lieu of such rights (which in most cases in normal employment law would lead to much bigger payments), there's a fixed payment. And whilst of course I 'get it' in the sense that I'm very well aware that £18K is a lot of money for most ordinary people, it's actually less than two months' salary for a Cabinet minister (salary £134K).

Now, maybe cabinet ministers don't need to be paid that much, but that's a different question. It's certainly not a lot compared with what most countries pay their most senior government ministers.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    O/T:

After 10 years, Fifteen To One has returned on Channel 4. Sandi Toksvik is presenting in place of William G Stewart. The pace is rather lethargic compared to the original incarnation.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Grandiose said:

Failure to compensate for loss of office makes it more rather than less difficult to remove a cabinet minister (and any other paid official).

In cases such as Maria Miller's where the formal disciplinary process has not recommended dismissal from office or even major penalty, then the PM is relying on the cabinet minister to resign 'voluntarily' on the basis of a political judgement. Six month's pay in lieu of notice would be standard in the private sector for a salaried employee being asked to leave for any reason beyond gross missconduct and much more if there was a service contract. So Miller's £18,000 is meagre in comparison.

Angry bloodlust is no substitute for reasoned justice, even in politics.

This discussion has been closed.