Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New culture secretary Sajid Javid now 33-1 for next CON lea

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,129
    Don't make me skewer your cat-flap, Mr. Fett.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 8m

Best EdM comeback in a while at PMQs :"It's my job to fire ministers in his Cabinet?". Even Tory Mps looked uneasy at that one

Cam finally spots trap. Say he's not saying Miller did nothing wrong...

Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 13m

Strong show of support for Sajid Javid, putting him on frontbench just along from Cam for PMQs

Hardly the 'triumph' the Cameroons are pretending but muppet and dunceworthy on both sides all the same.

A wide range of opinion quoted there Porker - more jaw jaw - less Waugh Waugh from you thanks.
    Bit feeble to shriek just because you prefer your tweeters Harold. Fact is they were both crap.
    Calling it a draw is the first refuge of the loser.
    LOL

Poor old Harold. Must be trying to be such an obsequious Cameroon today. Little Ed couldn't make it stick, was very funny indeed when he started trying to speak in mockney, but if you think that somehow made Cammie's bluster convincing then you really don't have a clue.
    Pork's LAB love is like Farage and Putin - one way and difficult to explain.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    isam said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

Best EdM comeback in a while at PMQs :"It's my job to fire ministers in his Cabinet?". Even Tory Mps looked uneasy at that one

Strong show of support for Sajid Javid, putting him on frontbench just along from Cam for PMQs

Hardly the 'triumph' the Cameroons are pretending but muppet and dunceworthy on both sides all the same.

A wide range of opinion quoted there Porker - more jaw jaw - less Waugh Waugh from you thanks.
    Bit feeble to shriek just because you prefer your tweeters Harold. Fact is they were both crap.
    Patrick O'Flynn ‏@oflynndirector 56s

I'd say that PMQs was a 3-0 win to UKIP - and we weren't even there! #LibLabCon
    I love the way UKIP think they are whiter than white. For a reasonably new party that has only recently come to prominence they have a lot of issues with the behavior of their Councillors/MEPs etc. Just type UKIP fraud into Google. It will be interesting when the press show as much interest in them as they do the other parties.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Could he break the rule that bald politicians are crap?

Like Winston Churchill?
    Well when it came to domestic politics, Sir Winston was a bit crap.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited April 2014
    DavidL said:

Would it be fair to say that Ed's heart was just not in it today? Labour have notably soft pedalled this case through out and I think they are still about uncomfortable about it. So rather than focus on the conduct relating to the resignation he tried to make it about leadership and judgement. More difficult territory for him.

I am not sure that this was quite the open goal some described it as. It might have been had there been no resignation this morning but the steam came out at that point and Ed was left with a deflated ball to kick.

Not saying he might not have done that better. Just that it was not as easy as some seemed to have assumed.

Little Ed didn't have a focus. He had to hammer home repeatedly this was all about Cammie's judgement but couldn't easily shift to that from the seriousness of expenses scandals and fit his soundbites in. Fact is the public DO take them very seriously indeed.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    currystar said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

I love the way UKIP think they are whiter than white. For a reasonably new party that has only recently come to prominence they have a lot of issues with the behavior of their Councillors/MEPs etc. Just type UKIP fraud into Google. It will be interesting when the press show as much interest in them as they do the other parties.
    "It will be interesting when the press show as much interest in them as they do the other parties"

Are you sure????!!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,667
    Off-topic:

This old story is on the BBC's most read. As I stared at the picture, I realised the taller figure looks remarkably like our Ed. If that's the case, then who's the smaller figure?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/6057734.stm

:-)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,156
    DavidL said:

Would it be fair to say that Ed's heart was just not in it today? Labour have notably soft pedalled this case through out and I think they are still about uncomfortable about it. So rather than focus on the conduct relating to the resignation he tried to make it about leadership and judgement. More difficult territory for him.

I am not sure that this was quite the open goal some described it as. It might have been had there been no resignation this morning but the steam came out at that point and Ed was left with a deflated ball to kick.

Not saying he might not have done that better. Just that it was not as easy as some seemed to have assumed.

Murky territory for Labour to get into methinks, best to let the Conservatives dig their own hole (Partially filled in by today's resignation).
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Incidentally this is a nice quote by Javid:

"I welcome the Prime Minister's speech on this complex and important topic. I am proud of my Pakistani and Muslim heritage but, as I have myself said repeatedly, people who settle here should respect the British way of life, culture and traditions, and be required to learn our language. For too long we have championed an ideology of multiculturalism which has created divides rather than broken them down."

Exactly the right mindset to have.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

LOL

Poor old Harold. Must be trying to be such an obsequious Cameroon today. Little Ed couldn't make it stick, was very funny indeed when he started trying to speak in mockney, but if you think that somehow made Cammie's bluster convincing then you really don't have a clue.
    Pork's LAB love is like Farage and Putin - one way and difficult to explain.
    LOL

Get your spin right Harold. You really have lost the plot if you think scots must cheer on Cammie just because you do. There's still more pandas than tory MPs in scotland.
  • Options
    Isam/Pulpstar

So which is the better value bet for tonight

ManU to win in 90 mins at 9/1 or ManU to qualify at 5/1

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/champions-league/bayern-munich-v-man-utd/winner
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    Socrates said:

"I welcome the Prime Minister's speech on this complex and important topic. I am proud of my Pakistani and Muslim heritage but, as I have myself said repeatedly, people who settle here should respect the British way of life, culture and traditions, and be required to learn our language. For too long we have championed an ideology of multiculturalism which has created divides rather than broken them down."

He'll be labeled a coconut by the left. Guaranteed. Anyone who holds that view and isn't white is labeled as such.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    isam said:

currystar said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

"It will be interesting when the press show as much interest in them as they do the other parties"

Are you sure????!!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-26881369

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-26786742

These two cases are within the last few days
  • Options
    12:35: On BBC Two's Daily Politics, Conservative Grant Shapps says it is his "understanding" that no one visited Maria Miller before she resigned to persuade her to go.

Hello - Here's the next part of the story - did she or didn't she get a visit in the night ?
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Yes, exactly.

Shame it will be praised by some only after they see the name or a picture of who said it. Generally they'll be the people that call others racist
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

12:35: On BBC Two's Daily Politics, Conservative Grant Shapps says it is his "understanding" that no one visited Maria Miller before she resigned to persuade her to go.

Hello - Here's the next part of the story - did she or didn't she get a visit in the night ?

Is Michael Howard still lurking about?

*chortle*
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @MrHarryCole: Chuka: "The Conservative Party has a lamentable record at putting women into top jobs". Except leader, eh?
  • Options
    currystar said:

isam said:

currystar said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

Are you sure????!!

Yes, I meant are you sure that UKIP don't already get as much interest in such matters??! The media are all over them at every point

Do Conservative and Labour no mark councillors get the same attention? The gay weather wally only got publicity once he went to UKIP from the Conservatives
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited April 2014

Mr. Llama, if Blackadder can become Archbishop then so can I!

Mr. D., I am not sure how to phrase this .... what you have got to understand at some point is that, well, (gosh this is difficult) .... well, its just that, well, to be blunt .... not to put too fine a point on it .... BlackAdder is a work of fiction. It is all made up, it isn't real history.

Whereas, what I, and the authors of Yes Minister, have been talking about is the Church of England as it really is. I have a cousin (by marriage admittedly) who as a serving CofE priest wrote a book explaining that God, in the traditional sense, does not exist - cost him a fair few problems with his bishop, and his living, but he was never de-frocked and still takes services.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Glyn Sparkes ‏@GlynSparkes 38s

@sajidjavid: Tory MP, Culture Secretary, Thatcherite, Bankster, coconut, munafiq, kha'en.

That didn't take long.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited April 2014

On the other hand he was a military and strategic genius...
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Why oh why don't Kippers vote for Cameron if they want to leave the EU???

Patrick O'Flynn ‏@oflynndirector 16m
    Very flippant reply by Cam to being asked to read the winning entry in the Brexit Prize. He's just not interested

Victoria ‏@VictoriaMonro 10m
    Cameron not reading the IEA's Brexit Prize winner's submission is poor form on his part. He needs an education, this offers him one.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

If you ignore the First World War.

The Second World War he was lucky in having Sir Alan Brooke and Eisenhower.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Anorak said:

You could be the Bishop of Bath & Wells if you replaced your wiffle stick with a red hot poker
    Morris Dancer - colossal pervert. Not seeing it myself...
    It's usually the quiet ones...

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

RodCrosby said:

In other words, he was a f*cking disaster all round...
  • Options

Mr. D., I am not sure how to phrase this .... what you have got to understand at some point is that, well, (gosh this is difficult) .... well, its just that, well, to be blunt .... not to put too fine a point on it .... BlackAdder is a work of fiction. It is all made up, it isn't real history.

Whereas, what I, and the authors of Yes Minister, have been talking about is the Church of England as it really is. I have a cousin (by marriage admittedly) who as a serving CofE priest wrote a book explaining that God, in the traditional sense, does not exist - cost him a fair few problems with his bishop, and his living, but he was never de-frocked and still takes services.

Interesting - Whats the name of the book ?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Useless facts: Sajid Javid's father was a bus driver, and the previous MP for Bromsgrove Julie Kirkbride's father was a lorry driver.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

In other words, he was a f*cking disaster all round...
    Nah, sometimes you need spirit and defiance and the old boy had it spades.

And he was right about the dangers of appeasement.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    isam said:

currystar said:

isam said:

currystar said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

Are you sure????!!

Yes, I meant are you sure that UKIP don't already get as much interest in such matters??! The media are all over them at every point

Do Conservative and Labour no mark councillors get the same attention? The gay weather wally only got publicity once he went to UKIP from the Conservatives
    If UKIP had any MPs, councillors would be less interesting...
  • Options
    @TheScreamingEagles No idea if either is a good bet but if you go off Betfair projected SPs as being the 'true' market,

9-1 = 10.0/10.5 = 95%
    5-1 = 6.0/6.8 = 88%.

So on that basis the 9-1 is slightly better value...

No idea if either is actually a good bet though.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@TheScreamingEagles No idea if either is a good bet but if you go off Betfair projected SPs as being the 'true' market,

9-1 = 10.0/10.5 = 95%
    5-1 = 6.0/6.8 = 88%.

For some reason I'm having visions of Man U going through tonight.

Had the same feeling about Chelski
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Charles said:

isam said:

currystar said:

isam said:

currystar said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

Are you sure????!!

True, true

Maybe the prospective candidates to be MP's are fair game, but comparing no mark councillor's behaviour with that of MP's, and expecting the same level of professionalism, is a crooked heat
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Hooray! This guy sounds good. Perfect backstory. Tories need 200 more like him.

Bring back David Davis....????

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited April 2014
    isam said:

Maybe the prospective candidates to be MP's are fair game, but comparing no mark councillors behaviour with MPs, is a crooked heat

Fair point.

Let's look at the MEPs instead...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Mr. Pulpstar, God in Us by Anthony Freeman. He wrote a subsequent book about the nature of consciousness (i.e. what makes us human), but that was above my pay grade.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    SeanT said:

Socrates said:

Incidentally I've had people on my Twitterfeed saying "anyone who voted against Equal Marriage" should not be allowed to be a minister, when I point out this means no believing Catholics or Muslims can ever become ministers, they go quiet.

Hello lefty race politics, meet lefty gender politics, you two should get along famously.
    Sadiq Khan is a Muslim and he voted for gay marriage. Still a barmy position though. (The exclusion, not gay marriage.)
  • Options
    taffys said:

Bring back David Davis....????

In the Times today, David Davis views himself as the Kingmaker in the next Leadership election.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

SeanT said:

Socrates said:

Incidentally I've had people on my Twitterfeed saying "anyone who voted against Equal Marriage" should not be allowed to be a minister, when I point out this means no believing Catholics or Muslims can ever become ministers, they go quiet.

Hello lefty race politics, meet lefty gender politics, you two should get along famously.
    Sadiq Khan is a Muslim and he voted for gay marriage. Still a barmy position though. (The exclusion, not gay marriage.)
    Atheist.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

9-1 = 10.0/10.5 = 95%
    5-1 = 6.0/6.8 = 88%.

For some reason I'm having visions of Man U going through tonight.

Had the same feeling about Chelski
    Me too. It would be typically contrary of Rooney et al to turn it on at the last moment. However, then I remember that Bayern are phenomenal, right now - surely the best team in Europe - and I calm down.

Bayern will win.
    They couldn't beat them last week.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited April 2014

isam said:

Maybe the prospective candidates to be MP's are fair game, but comparing no mark councillors behaviour with MPs, is a crooked heat

Fair point.

I think they get scrutinised by the media just as much as Westminster politicians. In most cases though I think UKIP expense scandals have been using money claimed to pay for party related stuff, Del Boy/Robin Hood style, not for second homes, Wisteria cleaning, Moats, etc etc

They're fiddling from a state they openly hate to fund it's dismantling, rather than from taxpayers to pay for luxuries.

What did you make of Cameron's response to being asked to read the Brexit winners plans?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,536

Off-topic:

This old story is on the BBC's most read. As I stared at the picture, I realised the taller figure looks remarkably like our Ed. If that's the case, then who's the smaller figure?

It does look disconcertingly like Ann Widdecombe....

Loved this quote:

"Evolutionary theorist Oliver Curry of the London School of Economics expects a genetic upper class and a dim-witted underclass to emerge."

Except he expects it in a 100,000 years. But perhaps we already have Homo Etoniensis and Homo chavensis?
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    EuroCampaignWatch: I've just seen three extravagantly rosetted-up LibDem MEP candidates and a small throng of hangers-on walking up Main Street in Gibraltar pressing the flesh and kissing babies.

Graham Watson MEP was there, some other candidate I didn't recognise and the turncoat retread candidate Lyana Armstrong Emery (she was a Green candidate last time around). I am good friends with her ex-husband Al who stood as a Green candidate for council in the Hove area last year.

The local newspaper, The Chronic, is a bit of a lefty rag so they'll get the front page tomorrow.
  • Options
    taffys said:

The Conservatives need two hundred more bankers turned politicians? Really?
  • Options
    isam said:

Charles said:

isam said:

currystar said:

isam said:

currystar said:

isam said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

TGOHF said:

Mick_Pork said:

Are you sure????!!

True, true

Maybe the prospective candidates to be MP's are fair game, but comparing no mark councillor's behaviour with that of MP's, and expecting the same level of professionalism, is a crooked heat
    Rubbish. Local politicians should be just as clean as MPs. If anything, corruption on a local level is far more insidious.

It's nothing to do with 'professionalism'.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Fair point.

I think they get scrutinised by the media just as much as Westminster politicians. In most cases though I think UKIP expense scandals have been using money claimed to pay for party related stuff, Del Boy/Robin Hood style, not for second homes, Wisteria cleaning, Moats, etc etc

They're fiddling from a state they openly hate to fund it's dismantling, rather than from taxpayers to pay for luxuries.

What did you make of Cameron's response to being asked to read the Brexit winners plans?
    Ashley Mote MEP - 9 Month prison sentence for 65k benefit fraud

Tom Wise MEP - 2 year prison sentence for claiming 3grand per month for his secretary and actually paying her 500 pounds per month.

Yeah, real Robin Hood stuff.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Socrates said:

SeanT said:

Socrates said:

Atheist.
    The fact he is an atheist negates the effect of him representing any part of society in the cabinet other than non privately educated doesn't it?

If he were a commited Muslim it may win Conservatives some Muslim votes they wouldn't have previously attracted, but I'd have thought his atheism would be off putting to any Muslim that might be influenced by a politician's religion.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Fair point.

Tom Wise MEP - 2 year prison sentence for claiming 3grand per month for his secretary and actually paying her 500 pounds per month.

Do you think the public, particularly those who say they are going to vote UKIP, see things like that? UKIP just the same as other politicians? Or do you think they are gaining support because people see them as not like the rest?
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815

Pulpstar said:

Mr. Pulpstar, God in Us by Anthony Freeman. He wrote a subsequent book about the nature of consciousness (i.e. what makes us human), but that was above my pay grade.
    St. Mark's, Staplefield?

• Options
    edited April 2014
    @JosiasJessop

The original claim was that UKIP don't suffer the same scrutiny, and the subsequent posts/links from Tories are proving that they do.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Fair point.

Do you think the public, particularly those who say they are going to vote UKIP, see things like that? UKIP just the same as other politicians? Or do you think they are gaining support because people see them as not like the rest?
    I don't know, I'm not a UKIP voter, and don't envisage being one, despite probably voting yes to leave the EU.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Fair point.

I don't know, I'm not a UKIP voter, and don't envisage being one, despite probably voting yes to leave the EU.
    You don't think that UKIP are getting a large share of their votes from people that are tired of politicians on the take, not being in touch?

Do you think UKIP will gain or lose from the Miller story? If gain, why?

Who you vote for doesn't stop you be able to see this does it?

Apols for the Spanish Inquisition style of questioning!!
  • Options
    isam said:

Ah, the old 'I'm only fiddling my employer because he's a capitalist swine' argument.

It's still taxpayers' money.
    isam said:

As I posted at the end of the last thread, I think it's a really excellent document, well worth a read. I'm glad Cameron plans to read it.

Still, UKIP's po-faced response to his quite amusing answer was reminiscent of the humourlessness of the Guardian.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

isam said:

Ah, the old 'I'm only fiddling my employer because he's a capitalist swine' argument.

It's still taxpayers' money.
    isam said:

As I posted at the end of the last thread, I think it's a really excellent document, well worth a read. I'm glad Cameron plans to read it.

Still, UKIP's po-faced response to his quite amusing answer was reminiscent of the humourlessness of the Guardian.
    He said he plans to read it?

"12:33 - "Leaving the European Union should become part of our long-term economic plan," suggests David Nuttall. Cameron responds by saying he may bother to read the paper on leaving the EU - but that it might get beaten in his holiday reading list by the novel from Nadine Dorries, of all people. And with that, the session ends."

http://politics.co.uk/comment-analysis/2014/04/09/pmqs-as-it-happens-after-the-resignation-the-mauling
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,536
    There is something of IDS about that thread header image of Sajid Javid....

What are his odds for being next out the Cabinet?
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Just watched PMQ's.....god, that was awful for all concerned.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Fair point.

You don't think that UKIP are getting a large share of their votes from people that are tired of politicians on the take, not being in touch?

Do you think UKIP will gain or lose from the Miller story? If gain, why?

Who you vote for doesn't stop you be able to see this does it?

Apols for the Spanish Inquisition style of questioning!!
    Point one, don't know, I can believe it is a reason, but not the only one.

Point two, UKIP should be very careful trying to gain from the Miller story, they are currently under a police investigation re expenses, and past expenses transgressions, as a %, more UKIP MEPs have gone to prison than Labour MPs for misusing expenses and benefits. That said, it will probably be a short term net gain for them.

Point three - It doesn't

Spanish Inquisition? Bah, it's nothing.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    A disintegration awaits for any PBer who denies they are a Tory/Labourite/Liberal/Kipper despite voting for and supporting that party. Only on PB...
  • Options
    Interesting that PBers think of UKIP as just like every other political party, and humourless...

Wonder how in touch with the wider public those views are?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,954

Off-topic:

It does look disconcertingly like Ann Widdecombe....

Loved this quote:

"Evolutionary theorist Oliver Curry of the London School of Economics expects a genetic upper class and a dim-witted underclass to emerge."

Except he expects it in a 100,000 years. But perhaps we already have Homo Etoniensis and Homo chavensis?
    The question Dr Curry - or at least the BBC report - skates over is whether there would be sufficient of a reproductive barrier between future OEs and neds to reduce genetic flow and recombination, and therefore regression to the mean. To evolve two subspecies means a great deal of divergence before that point. I hardly think it possible given the figures for illegitimacy, and the tradition of lower class males and especially females of climbing the ladder and vice versa

I can't remember what the likes of Matt Ridley, Richard Dawkins or Randolph Nesse have said about this sort of issue, but you would need a precondition of something like a strict birth control policy (basically, compulsory sterilisation reversible only with specific permission). And even then the long term results could be quite complex.

Geographical isolation would work much better. As it did in the past, which is why I am characteristically, for a Scot, pale, gingery, get sunburnt and drink milk without getting the runs.

• Options
    Max, Full respect but you seem to advocating the sort of identity politics that we have adopted from the USA and which is totally corrosive to civil society.

A MP is there to represent all his/her constituents, not some group based on ethnic or racial accidents of birth. When politicians start pandering to this identity politics nonsense they are actually winding the clock back to the days when we had "No Irish, no blacks, no dogs" notices.

The idea that politicians should win or lose votes because of their religious beliefs is, in my view, as appalling that they should win or lose votes because of the colour of their skin or who they choose to sleep with.

• Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    @Sean - Javid is very suspiciously from (sorry, lived and worked in!) That London too, which will surely count against him on here.

I like him - congrats on his promotion.
  • Options
    isam said:

MaxPB said:

Socrates said:

SeanT said:

Socrates said:

Atheist.
    The fact he is an atheist negates the effect of him representing any part of society in the cabinet other than non privately educated doesn't it?

If he were a commited Muslim it may win Conservatives some Muslim votes they wouldn't have previously attracted, but I'd have thought his atheism would be off putting to any Muslim that might be influenced by a politician's religion.
    Working class, immigrant born, ccomprehensively educated, not Oxbridge, not seen one Dave's Eton mates.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

A disintegration awaits for any PBer who denies they are a Tory/Labourite/Liberal/Kipper despite voting for and supporting that party. Only on PB...

I've voted Conservative, but I've also voted Lib Dem, Indy and Green at various elections.

Does that mean that I'm a Conservative liberal independently-minded democrat who's feeling a bit sick?
  • Options

@sajidjavid: Tory MP, Culture Secretary, Thatcherite, Bankster, coconut, munafiq, kha'en.

That didn't take long.

I've looked up "munafiq", what's "kha'en"?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    BobaFett said:

@Sean - Javid is very suspiciously from (sorry, lived and worked in!) That London too, which will surely count against him on here.

Yes born in that London district of Rochdale

That's North London isn't it?

The fact is that the more you and others on here demand that people not born or raised in London are just as much Londoners as someone whose family have been living there for generations, the more you make my point for me.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    ''If all that people can do is shout BANKER! whenever they see one - even if that successful banker is entirely self made, and from nowhere - then we are really and truly doomed. ''

The point about bankers isn't just that they are bankers. Its the people who work around the bankers. For every zillion million dollar trader there are hundreds or so others doing ordinary jobs on ordinary pay like ordinary folk.

Settlements people. Compliance. Law. IT. HR. Middle office. Consultancy. Financial journalism.The guys that water the plants. Clean the toilets. Act as security. Sell the guy his maserati. Decorate his house. Book his flight to Marbella. I've met Physiotherapists paying off mortgages by massaging life back into city workers. The list just goes on and on and on and on.

Eviscerating bankers isn;t about eviscerating bankers. It's about destroying more than a million jobs done for ordinary wages by ordinary people.

It's amazing that any of this even needs saying. But labour are such a bunch of ignorant job wreckers it clearly does.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    edited April 2014
    isam said:

Interesting that PBers think of UKIP as just like every other political party, and humourless...

100% once UKIP get representation and show themselves to be the same men from the same mold
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    BobaFett said:

Just because you have an opinion on which party is the least worst doesn't mean it goes to your identity. A huge swathe of the public votes in general elections yet wouldn't identify themselves as any of your four options.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Pulpstar said:

St. Mark's, Staplefield?

Yes, at the time he wrote the book.
  • Options
    Confirmed

David Cameron ‏@David_Cameron 7m

Andrea Leadsom MP is the new Economic Secretary to the Treasury.
  • Options
    isam said:

BobaFett said:

That North London isn't it?

The fact is that the more you and others on here demand that people not born or raised in London are just as much Londoners as someone whose family have been living there for generations, the more you make my point for me.
    You don't have a point. You have an opinion. Other people differ.

But the point is *you* are trying to define who can say they belong to an area (i.e. call themselves a Londoner). Personally, I'd say that's a dangerous road to go down.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

taffys said:

Of course not. It needs more mockneys.

*chortle*

Actually what Cameron really, really, really needs is a new culture secretary who (and I quote) "He’s such a rising star that he was one of the guests at the fateful Rupert Murdoch dinner before Christmas"

http://blogs.channel4.com/gary-gibbon-on-politics/maria-miller-jump-discreetly-pushed/28039

So as Mr Smithson himself says, "Sajid is seen very much as part of Osborne clan and no doubt the chanellor played a key part in the decision."

What could be a bigger guarantee of success than that as we approach the 2015 General Election?

:)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

taffys said:

FFS, he's a clearly very smart, self made son of a Pakistani Muslim immigrant bus driver, non-Oxbridge.

Yet because he worked for BANKS that makes him evil. These are the same banks that even now make up the most profitable part of our economy, an economy which has been at the forefront of global finance, and associated capitalist enterprise, for 400 years.

If all that people can do is shout BANKER! whenever they see one - even if that successful banker is entirely self made, and from nowhere - then we are really and truly doomed. It's just ridiculous. If we reject people like David just because he's a BANKER, we will get the ruling class we deserve - and it won't be hard working self made people - it will be rich, foolish, self important mediocrities with no experience at all, in anything whatsoever.

It will, in other words, be David Cameron, Nick Clegg and Ed Miliband.
    Or maybe, Mr. T., we would do better with politicians from as wide a spread of backgrounds as possible.
  • Options

It was obviously a political misstep. Clearly a huge swathe of his MPs and an even larger share of his voters support leaving the EU, and his joke is entirely based on the idea that the whole exercise of a well-researched paper on the issue is not important at all.

This is the whole problem with Cameron. He settles on positions based on the majority opinion of those around him and never challenges himself intellectually.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @isam

'UKIP just the same as other politicians? Or do you think they are gaining support because people see them as not like the rest?'

A party led by a public school boy,ex city slicker,expense trougher and bankrolled by a handful of millionaires, maybe you can explain the difference?

'The leader of the UK Independence party (Ukip), which wants to lead Britain out of the EU, has taken £2m of taxpayers' money in expenses and allowances as a member of the European Parliament, on top of his £64,000 a year salary.

Nigel Farage, who is calling on voters to punish "greedy Labour, Conservative and Lib Dem MPs" at the European elections on 4 June, boasted of his personal expenses haul at a meeting with foreign journalists in London last week.

• Options
    edited April 2014

Confirmed

At least something good has come out of this farrago: in fact a double win, promotion for her and for Sajid Javid (both much more talented that Maria Miller IMO).
  • Options
    Socrates said:

That didn't take long.

Sorry, I can't resist. Maybe he's annoyed Shatner:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRnSnfiUI54
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Sajid is a tough guy. He will need to be strong against the Press who think they should be accountable to nobody.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

That didn't take long.

Sorry, I have no idea - having since looked at his twitter account and past tweets, it could mean anything. - the tw@ is seriously short of a sandwich imho.
  • Options

SeanT said:

taffys said:

FFS, he's a clearly very smart, self made son of a Pakistani Muslim immigrant bus driver, non-Oxbridge.

Yet because he worked for BANKS that makes him evil. These are the same banks that even now make up the most profitable part of our economy, an economy which has been at the forefront of global finance, and associated capitalist enterprise, for 400 years.

If all that people can do is shout BANKER! whenever they see one - even if that successful banker is entirely self made, and from nowhere - then we are really and truly doomed. It's just ridiculous. If we reject people like David just because he's a BANKER, we will get the ruling class we deserve - and it won't be hard working self made people - it will be rich, foolish, self important mediocrities with no experience at all, in anything whatsoever.

It will, in other words, be David Cameron, Nick Clegg and Ed Miliband.
    Or maybe, Mr. T., we would do better with politicians from as wide a spread of backgrounds as possible.
    More atheists and republicans would be a start
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

isam said:

100% once UKIP get representation and show themselves to be the same men from the same mold
    Worse, if you consider ukip's Euro expenses scandal.

• Options

Confirmed

At least something good has come out of this farrago: in fact a double win, promotion for her and for Sajid Javid (both much more talented that Maria Miller IMO).
    Great result, did I mention I tipped Maria Miller at 14/1 as next out of the cabinet?
  • Options

Socrates said:

That didn't take long.

Sorry, I have no idea - having since looked at his twitter account and past tweets, it could mean anything. - the tw@ is seriously short of a sandwich imho.
    Sadly there's a large chunk of Muslims in this country that labels everyone that disagrees with their backwards, hardline interpretation as being a "kuffar" or a "munafiq". This sort of philosophy and language should be made utterly socially unacceptable, as has been done with racist facism, via a united front from our political class. Unfortunately, our political elite are utterly scared of taking on non-whites on something like this.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    perdix said:

isam said:

Worse, if you consider ukip's Euro expenses scandal.

That, and the tufton bufton fruitloop party machine
  • Options
    @Socrates - Come off it, it was a joke at PMQs.

It is, however, an excellent paper, and I think likely to influence both the debate on leaving the EU altogether, and the goals for renegotiation. This is exactly the kind of thing I've been suggesting UKIP should produce if they were serious, but they are more interested in cheap jibes and putting Ed Miliband into No 10.
  • Options

Great result, did I mention I tipped Maria Miller at 14/1 as next out of the cabinet?

No, I'm sure you never mentioned that.
  • Options
    Sadly there's a large chunk of Muslims in this country that labels everyone that disagrees with their backwards, hardline interpretation as being a "kuffar" or a "munafiq".

Link?
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371

Socrates said:

That didn't take long.

munafiq - is a hypocrite who outwardly practices Islam while inwardly concealing his disbelief

Kha'en - Haven't a scoobies.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478

Just watched PMQ's.....god, that was awful for all concerned.

Perhaps as the MPs' MPs they both felt a bit vulnerable? Just guessing.
  • Options
    It certainly sounds like a triumph for Cammie.

Maria Miller resigns: Is David Cameron out of touch?

Eventually the restrictions and flummery of office must have an impact on how a leader sees the outside world. Cameron was, as opposition leader, able to travel around the country talking to people much more freely than he can now. This is not a personal criticism of Cameron, just an observation that all those filtered lines of people meeting and greeting the PM must after a while give a leader a very strange and unrealistic perspective.

I thought this when I heard that in Cameron's letter of thanks to Miller this morning he said that he hoped she would in time be back on the Tory frontbench. Really? After everything that has happened? Vote Conservative and get Maria Miller back in the cabinet? Really?

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/iainmartin1/100267003/maria-miller-resigns-is-david-cameron-out-of-touch/
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Fair point.

Indeed. isam is on very shaky ground here. UKIP have been very bad on this stuff.
  • Options

@Socrates - Come off it, it was a joke at PMQs.

It is, however, an excellent paper, and I think likely to influence both the debate on leaving the EU altogether, and the goals for renegotiation. This is exactly the kind of thing I've been suggesting UKIP should produce if they were serious, but they are more interested in cheap jibes and putting Ed Miliband into No 10.

Right, because the Conservatives have produced a clear paper of what renegotiation looks like? You're throwing rocks from a massive greenhouse here.
  • Options

Socrates said:

That didn't take long.

munafiq - is a hypocrite who outwardly practices Islam while inwardly concealing his disbelief

Cheers for that - You learn something new etc. ; )
  • Options
    Pulpstar ‏@Pulpstar 52s
    @GlynSparkes Can you explain more fully what you mean by 'coconut' ? because it looks like an ethnic/racial slur to my eyes. @sajidjavid
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    taffys said:

Sadly there's a large chunk of Muslims in this country that labels everyone that disagrees with their backwards, hardline interpretation as being a "kuffar" or a "munafiq".

Link?

If you hang out at some Muslim forums you'll hear plenty of this abuse.
  • Options
    And as Stan Collymore has reminded us all self publishing racism through social media is illegal in this country.
  • Options
    "I thought this when I heard that in Cameron's letter of thanks to Miller this morning he said that he hoped she would in time be back on the Tory frontbench. Really? After everything that has happened? Vote Conservative and get Maria Miller back in the cabinet? Really?"

Incredibly, even now, he simply just doesn't get it does he?
  • Options

Socrates said:

That didn't take long.

I've been accused of being both a cocunut and a munafiq.

I noticed that Sajid Javid married an infidel.
  • Options
    edited April 2014

isam said:

BobaFett said:

That North London isn't it?

You don't have a point. You have an opinion. Other people differ.

But the point is *you* are trying to define who can say they belong to an area (i.e. call themselves a Londoner). Personally, I'd say that's a dangerous road to go down.
    Why dangerous?

If you and your family for whatever reason, were proud to be from a certain area, needn't be London, and someone who was born and raised in a completely different area came along and 10 years later was saying that they were as much a Londoner/Brummie/Manc/Scot as you and your family were, wouldn't you find that mildy ridiculous and a bit insulting? Maybe feel that a vital part of your identity was being diluted?

Why do you think so many people born within a certain part of London boast of being a true cockney? Its because it means something to them. I am sure there are similar scenarios all over the world

It's also why the term "Mockney" exists

My original point was most people that were born and bred in an area, any area, feel the fast pace of change to that area more deeply than newcomers who are drawn partly by the pace of the change. That is a crucial difference between the two. @SeanT and @Boba's description of what they think makes a Londoner are completely the second scenario, which proves my point, or if you want to be picky with words, supports my opinion, even though they think they are disagreeing with me
This discussion has been closed.