Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Sir Gavin Williamson speaks for the Tories and the nation – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• kle4kle4 Posts: 95,305
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

I regard the Bishops as less of an embarrassment than many of those other appointees to the Lords. But I've said it before and I'll say it again. The bigger problem for the Monarchy going forward is not that it's an anachronism in a democracy but the religious doctrine underpinning it. The coronation of Charles III was borderline farcical. Anyway if we're discussing arcane institutions that need to go I'd start with:

1) The City of London Corporation
    2) The City of London Police - what possible reason do they need their own police force - are they doing lots of counter fraud/money laundering work we don't hear about?
    3) Faith schools

Removing the religious element of monarchical ceremony strikes me as a mistake, despite being an atheist monarchist. Most ceremonies, even in republics, are inherently a bit silly, but they have to take themselves relatively seriously, and the religious element gave it all an air of stuffy, old fashioned faux-grandure, and we lack the kind of non-cynical civic passion to replace it with almost as silly but modern ceremony.
    The coronation of Chaz was an embarrassment. Boring and irrelevant to all but the most obsessive royal fanciers.
    An embarrassment to the sort of person who thinks “history is bunk”, and anything published more than a decade ago requires a trigger warning.
    I thought the service itself was not bad at all.

I think what needs to be scaled back a little is the often, overblown and anachronistic military pageantry at either side of Royal events, not necessarily the events themselves.
    It’s modern crowns that I find a bit absurd. Medieval hollow crowns and circlets are a lot more elegant.
    Yes, things you cannot even more about in are for portraits only.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,670

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I have absolutely no issue at all with the hereditary peers, and even quite like them.

Remember when you got so pissed off at me calling you a reactionary that I relented and dropped it?
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 17,124
    I won't man the barricades to defend this but there's a better argument for bishops to be in the House of Lords than hereditary peers. Arguably it's part of the role, which you sign up for, and are assessed for, along with the other stuff when you apply for the job.
    rcs1000 said:

Personally, I think the House of Lords needs more religious figures, not fewer. But we also need to go beyond the Church of England. There are plenty of Catholics in the UK, shouldn't they get someone? Ditto Jews and Muslims. And - obviously - there need to be representatives from both the agnostic and atheistic communities. Fwiw, I suspect there aren't enough satanists to justify a spot.

Arthur Pendragon has stood for parliament several times, he could be made a Peer as a nod to some of the neo-druidic groups, if they apparently did not fight like cats in a sack.
    FF43 said:

I won't man the barricades to defend this but there's a better argument for bishops to be in the House of Lords than hereditary peers. Arguably it's part of the role, which you sign up for, and are assessed for, along with the other stuff when you apply for the job.

Yes they're kind of there on merit by comparison.
    Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Don’t know how accurate this is but apparently only 2% of the UK population are CoE regulars. The established church is a complete nonsense.

https://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2020/10/regular-c-of-e-worshippers-form-less-than-2-percent-of-englands-population

Far more than 2% go to C of E services at Christmas or Easter or weddings, baptisms and funerals in the C of E's churches as well.

The Roman Catholic church normally requires those who get married in its churches to regularly attend its services and be baptised Catholic, if disestablished the C of E would similarly end automatic right of parishioners to marry or get buried in its churches. They would often have to show evidence of regular service attendance and baptism first. More well funded and well attended C of E evangelical churches in particular would block automatic marriages and baptisms and funerals in their churches as they have less need of the income they get from them and would restrict them only to those who are regular members of their congregations and their immediate family
    Never grasped why anyone would want to marry in a church unless they were religious in any case. The idea is faintly absurd. And hotels are more fun.
    Plenty still think of themselves as Christian even if not regular church attenders and being married in a beautiful medieval or 17th century local parish church by right is rather more attractive than being married in some 2 star hotel off the A1. Plus rather cheaper than having to fork out the huge fees 5* hotels require for wedding ceremonies
    Our daughter 1998 and son 2020 were both married in St Trillos Parish Church in Rhos on Sea, which my late father, mother and sister worshipped at and are buried in the graveyard

Neither my daughter or son were worshippers there
    HYUFD is committing the Roger fallacy of comparing the best thing from one set with the worst from another. I've been to dozens of weddings bith religious and secular, and its certainly not the case that one is obviously nice than the other. Personally, we went secular; I don't believe, and don't enjoy the insincerity of going through the motions in front of a God I don't believe in, nor public singing while sober.
    But if my wife had been religious I would have happily acceded. And there is something lovely, as Big G alludes, to marrying somewhere, and in the same way, that generations and generations before have done. There's not many occasions in your life when you get to carry on a tradition, and I can think of few more appropriate reasons to do so.

*Happy sigh* My wedding day was the best day of my life by a country mile.
    My two were too. But will be surpassed by the Harris landslide.
  • kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Personally, I think the House of Lords needs more religious figures, not fewer. But we also need to go beyond the Church of England. There are plenty of Catholics in the UK, shouldn't they get someone? Ditto Jews and Muslims. And - obviously - there need to be representatives from both the agnostic and atheistic communities. Fwiw, I suspect there aren't enough satanists to justify a spot.

Arthur Pendragon has stood for parliament several times, he could be made a Peer as a nod to some of the neo-druidic groups, if they apparently did not fight like cats in a sack.
    Druids, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Catholics, Orthodox Christians, and Proteatants should arguably all be represented.
    edited October 18
    kinabalu said:

FF43 said:

Yes they're kind of there on merit by comparison.
    Many would argue they are there on merit, for earning enough money to buy a peerage.

Thesedays they probably just buy an expensive watch and leave it at that, but a few still want the title I suppose, niche market.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,639
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

I regard the Bishops as less of an embarrassment than many of those other appointees to the Lords. But I've said it before and I'll say it again. The bigger problem for the Monarchy going forward is not that it's an anachronism in a democracy but the religious doctrine underpinning it. The coronation of Charles III was borderline farcical. Anyway if we're discussing arcane institutions that need to go I'd start with:

2) The City of London Police - what possible reason do they need their own police force - are they doing lots of counter fraud/money laundering work we don't hear about?
    3) Faith schools

Removing the religious element of monarchical ceremony strikes me as a mistake, despite being an atheist monarchist. Most ceremonies, even in republics, are inherently a bit silly, but they have to take themselves relatively seriously, and the religious element gave it all an air of stuffy, old fashioned faux-grandure, and we lack the kind of non-cynical civic passion to replace it with almost as silly but modern ceremony.
    The coronation of Chaz was an embarrassment. Boring and irrelevant to all but the most obsessive royal fanciers.
    An embarrassment to the sort of person who thinks “history is bunk”, and anything published more than a decade ago requires a trigger warning.
    If you want history you can read it. But the King isn't there as some kind of historic relic, he is supposed to have a role. At the inauguration of a US President he swears an oath of office to defend the constitution. What was Charles doing? Something about his personal relationship with God. Who cares? I wanted to know that he would defend our laws and sovereign parliament from any Prime minister hellbent on being another Cromwell. Not least after the prorogation shambles.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,673
    edited October 18
    rcs1000 said:

But maybe enough Jedis?

Or, Sith? ;)

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Druids, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, Catholics, Orthodox Christians, and Proteatants should arguably all be represented.
    Some faiths lend themselves to being formally represented more easily of course. For others someone prominent of that faith might be chosen (for a number of reasons besides position in a hierarchy), which might be taken as that representation.

Indarjit Singh for example took part in the coronation, I guess potentially as a prominent Sikh in the Lords? I don't know how Sikhism is organised, but apparently he's active in various interfaith activities, but was that the reason for his elevation? No idea.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Don’t know how accurate this is but apparently only 2% of the UK population are CoE regulars. The established church is a complete nonsense.

https://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2020/10/regular-c-of-e-worshippers-form-less-than-2-percent-of-englands-population

Far more than 2% go to C of E services at Christmas or Easter or weddings, baptisms and funerals in the C of E's churches as well.

The Roman Catholic church normally requires those who get married in its churches to regularly attend its services and be baptised Catholic, if disestablished the C of E would similarly end automatic right of parishioners to marry or get buried in its churches. They would often have to show evidence of regular service attendance and baptism first. More well funded and well attended C of E evangelical churches in particular would block automatic marriages and baptisms and funerals in their churches as they have less need of the income they get from them and would restrict them only to those who are regular members of their congregations and their immediate family
    Never grasped why anyone would want to marry in a church unless they were religious in any case. The idea is faintly absurd. And hotels are more fun.
    Plenty still think of themselves as Christian even if not regular church attenders and being married in a beautiful medieval or 17th century local parish church by right is rather more attractive than being married in some 2 star hotel off the A1. Plus rather cheaper than having to fork out the huge fees 5* hotels require for wedding ceremonies
    Our daughter 1998 and son 2020 were both married in St Trillos Parish Church in Rhos on Sea, which my late father, mother and sister worshipped at and are buried in the graveyard

If it had been a conservative evangelical Anglican Welsh church rather than a liberal Catholic one they would have been refused marriage there
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If it had been a conservative evangelical Anglican Welsh church rather than a liberal Catholic one they would have been refused marriage there
    It is an Anglican Church in Wales so what is your point ?
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,392

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

3) Faith schools

If you want history you can read it. But the King isn't there as some kind of historic relic, he is supposed to have a role. At the inauguration of a US President he swears an oath of office to defend the constitution. What was Charles doing? Something about his personal relationship with God. Who cares? I wanted to know that he would defend our laws and sovereign parliament from any Prime minister hellbent on being another Cromwell. Not least after the prorogation shambles.
    I want him to deliver a powerful advert for the British tourist industry and a boost to the fortunes of BBC America.

The monarchy is like Harry Potter and Game of Thrones. It’s something we’re good at.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,438
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

But maybe enough Jedis?

Or, Sith? ;)
    For the nth time, there are only two Sith. One is the leader of the Conservative Party, and the other is Sir Jacob Rees Mogg. 😃
  • kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Proteatants arguably sounds like some sort of religious ant-eater, but the problems with posting from a mobile with no edit function continue.

The modern Church of England is generally quite herbivorous and moderate, compared to previous eras.
    edited October 18

HYUFD said:

My sister wasn’t, and still isn’t, a Roman Catholic, but her late husband was and he insisted they married in an RC church, much to our father’s disgust.

He was much happier when we got into the reception and the drinking.
    In 1880s Netherlands apparently Catholics and Protestants couldn't be buried in the same graveyard. Photo of husband and wife clasping hands across the dividing wall

https://bsky.app/profile/drlindseyfitz.bsky.social/post/3l6sifvndvn27
    FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

My sister wasn’t, and still isn’t, a Roman Catholic, but her late husband was and he insisted they married in an RC church, much to our father’s disgust.

In 1880s Netherlands apparently Catholics and Protestants couldn't be buried in the same graveyard. Photo of husband and wife clasping hands across the dividing wall

Surprised they were permitted to be married in that case.
  • Get Eagles to a vet appointed by Boris; so long as it wasn't under the hereditary principle
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,669

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It was not a conservative evangelical church, they only marry non conservative evangelicals in English C of E churches as they have to as it is the established church
    edited October 18
    TimS said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

3) Faith schools

I want him to deliver a powerful advert for the British tourist industry and a boost to the fortunes of BBC America.

The monarchy is like Harry Potter and Game of Thrones. It’s something we’re good at.
    What, milked beyond all reason until it becomes a parody of itself? (ducks 🤣)
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It was not a conservative evangelical church, they only marry non conservative evangelicals in English C of E churches as they have to as it is the established church
    Thank goodness then

Christ did not preach intolerance

Maybe a lesson for you there
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,871
    kle4 said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

My father’s priest refused to marry my parents in 1965, because my Protestant mother refused to pledge to raise us as Catholics.

We might well have been raised as Catholics, but my mum had no intention of signing a pledge.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,768

Smart51 said:

Disestablishment is a three sided triangle. The church has bishops in the HoL, the King is the head of the church, and the PM appoints archbishops. Either all three should stop at the same time, or all three should continue until we're ready to stop all three.

Pedant alert!!
    are their any non 3 sided triangles?
    Dairylea triangles have 5.
    Aren't they sectors with a curved side?
    viewcode said:

TimS said:

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

3) Faith schools

What, milked beyond all reason until it becomes a parody of itself? (ducks 🤣)
    We've already done that.
    edited October 18
    rcs1000 said:

I suspect there are more than a few Satanists in parliament already and PM Starmer is an atheist.

However yes I agree other faith leaders should be represented, the Vatican forbids RC Cardinals from being in the Lords though as it undermines Papal authority hence Cardinal Nichols had to decline a peerage as did Cardinal Murphy O'Connor. They still believe the Roman Catholic church should be English national church again, of course before the Reformation the Bishops in the Lords were all Roman Catholic and joined by Abbotts from Monasteries Henry VIII dissolved

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

3) Faith schools

The SC did that but we have an unwritten constitution based on crown in parliament so there is nothing to defend beyond the King signing whatever laws Parliament approves
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,296
    FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

Amateur football (level 3 and below), is divided into Saturday and Sunday pyramids based on Protestant/Catholic.
    That net favourability rate is insane.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Thank goodness then

Christ did not preach intolerance

Maybe a lesson for you there
    The established church is open to anyone, non established evangelical churches however are often 'everyone else burns!'
    kle4 said:

On that basis though he should have won in 2020 and lost in 2016
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,296
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

My father’s priest refused to marry my parents in 1965, because my Protestant mother refused to pledge to raise us as Catholics.

We might well have been raised as Catholics, but my mum had no intention of signing a pledge.
    My parents married in 1965 too. My Dad agreed to raise us Catholic. My Mam's job at the RC Secondary Modern demanded it.
    kle4 said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

Totally not an expert but a Google search tells me all marriages in the Netherlands were required to be civil ceremonies from 1795. You could also have a church ceremony but that had no legal status.
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Something to cling onto indeed.
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

I suspect there are more than a few Satanists in parliament already and PM Starmer is an atheist.

However yes I agree other faith leaders should be represented, the Vatican forbids RC Cardinals from being in the Lords though as it undermines Papal authority hence Cardinal Nichols had to decline a peerage as did Cardinal Murphy O'Connor. They still believe the Roman Catholic church should be English national church again, of course before the Reformation the Bishops in the Lords were all Roman Catholic and joined by Abbotts from Monasteries Henry VIII dissolved
    Plenty of political and business leaders (and even some bishops), are disciples of the Lord of the Flies.
    edited October 18
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Plenty of political and business leaders (and even some bishops), are disciples of the Lord of the Flies.
    Definitely not George Osborne and Lord Mandelson amongst their number I am sure
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,840
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

And some of them should be more disciplined with their flies.
    Labour being more Tory than the Tories. Again. As the enshittification of the UK continues

https://nitter.poast.org/doctor_oxford/status/1846798999673593870#m
  • HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

There was also Orthodox England, before that, too, ofcourse.

There's some funny grouo of monks, somewhere in East Anglia as I recall it, acting as if England was still an Orthodox country. One of the first Archbishops of Cantetbury was actually a Greek, Theodore of Tarsus.
    edited October 18

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

There was also Orthodox England, before that, too, ofcourse.

There's some funny grouo of monks, somewhere in East Anglia as I recall it, acting as if England was still an Orthodox country. One of the first Archbishops of Cantetbury was actually a Greek, Theodore of Tarsus.
    In Colchester and Walsingham certainly

http://www.orthodoxcolchester.org.uk/hm/
    https://holytransfigurationwalsingham.simdif.com/
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,551
    MattW said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

All hereditaries must go - there is simply no excuse for it - but I'm out of whack in that I do not want to see an elected upper chamber. We have more than enough voting as it is. Voting is essential to democracy but it is not the same as democracy. You need some voting (obviously) but it's facile and mistaken to assume that the more voting there is the more democratic a society you have.

I support an appointed upper chamber. Routes into it to be many and varied and designed such as to get a good micro facsimile of the population as a whole. Young, old, male, female, arts, crafts, scientists, business, tech, finance, white collar, blue collar, all in there if they are willing and sufficiently able. Part time only, modestly remunerated, serve one fixed term of two years then replaced with somebody else. No parties (political or otherwise).

We could have a randomly selected 'House of People' to go with the elected 'House of Politicians'.
    Didn't the Greeks try that?

I seem to remember it was a load of balls.
    Wasn't it black and white pebbles for the Romans and broken potsherds for the Greeks ?
    Psephology is from the Greek psephos, 'pebble', because the Greeks used pebble to vote.
    A pedant notes that using one pebble to vote is not very democratic.
    Vetanari always believed in 1 man 1 vote. He was the man and he had the vote.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,788
    edited October 18
    rcs1000 said:

The only problem with that is that the CoE is famously liberal, almost comically so, and most of the other religions/denoninations are far less so, so you'd probably be increasing the level of old-style conservatism in the HoL.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,620
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GOD IS SINGLE! MARRIAGE IS BLASPHEMY!
    Jesus is God
    Rather tangential - but are you dropping the punctuation a-la Leon, or just having a lazy Friday?
    edited October 18
    ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jesus is God
    Rather tangential - but are you dropping the punctuation a-la Leon, or just having a lazy Friday?
    The Trinity - Father, Son and Holy Ghost are all as one
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,395
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Go on...?
    DavidL said:

MattW said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

All hereditaries must go - there is simply no excuse for it - but I'm out of whack in that I do not want to see an elected upper chamber. We have more than enough voting as it is. Voting is essential to democracy but it is not the same as democracy. You need some voting (obviously) but it's facile and mistaken to assume that the more voting there is the more democratic a society you have.

I support an appointed upper chamber. Routes into it to be many and varied and designed such as to get a good micro facsimile of the population as a whole. Young, old, male, female, arts, crafts, scientists, business, tech, finance, white collar, blue collar, all in there if they are willing and sufficiently able. Part time only, modestly remunerated, serve one fixed term of two years then replaced with somebody else. No parties (political or otherwise).

We could have a randomly selected 'House of People' to go with the elected 'House of Politicians'.
    Didn't the Greeks try that?

I seem to remember it was a load of balls.
    Wasn't it black and white pebbles for the Romans and broken potsherds for the Greeks ?
    Psephology is from the Greek psephos, 'pebble', because the Greeks used pebble to vote.
    A pedant notes that using one pebble to vote is not very democratic.
    Vetanari always believed in 1 man 1 vote. He was the man and he had the vote.
    Very sensible.

People would think of plotting against him, but realised he governed so effectively that, what was the point?
    dixiedean said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

Amateur football (level 3 and below), is divided into Saturday and Sunday pyramids based on Protestant/Catholic.
    Fascinating. Which is which?
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,982
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

A Klingon, you say?

This thread has got both illuminating anf weird.
    I don't think I knew anyone, save for my very unobtrusively Christian Scientist grandmother, who sincerely BELIEVED until I was in my 20s. I knew people who believed there was 'something' - but out and out Christianity, rather than just a crappy primary school going through the motions, was utterly alien, and very strange when I encountered it.
    Cookie said:

dixiedean said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

Fascinating. Which is which?
    The Protestants don't believe in the Primacy of Rome and the Catholics do. There are other distinctions.

(I am so evul 😎 )
    HYUFD said:

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jesus is God
    I am no theologian but the problem with that is that God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son to save us.

If God and Jesus are the same person what does that mean? And why did Jesus cry out that his Lord had forsaken him on the cross?

• Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,567
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,874
    I’m not sure whether to be glad or sorry.

Glad I’m going to Portugal not Geneva.

Or sorry I didn’t know which gate to look at when they announced tonight’s flight to Geneva was diverting to Lyon. I haven’t seen a good riot in a while.

Although my flight is nearly an hour late now as well.
  • DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jesus is God
    I am no theologian but the problem with that is that God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son to save us.

If God and Jesus are the same person what does that mean? And why did Jesus cry out that his Lord had forsaken him on the cross?

Also.

If we're all God's children then what's so special about Jesus?

Don't give me that nonsense about Jesus died for our sins, yes Jesus died but he didn't stay dead did he?

Jesus gave up a weekend, that's all.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,615
    Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

HYUFD said:

Well done Mum.for sticking to her faith.
    Cookie said:

I don't think I knew anyone, save for my very unobtrusively Christian Scientist grandmother, who sincerely BELIEVED until I was in my 20s. I knew people who believed there was 'something' - but out and out Christianity, rather than just a crappy primary school going through the motions, was utterly alien, and very strange when I encountered it.

Several members of my family are regular churchgoers who send their children to bible camp and conduct bible classes in their home. Their faith is more demonstrative than mine but it's not what I'd call unusual, at least for their generation: I don't know if their kids will maintain the tradition.
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jesus is God

https://credohouse.org/blog/was-the-trinity-broken-at-the-cross-paul-copan
    Cookie said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Go on...?
    You would not get to be head of a major investment bank (like David Benioff’s father), a high roller in the public or private sectors, or Archbishop of Canterbury without being in league with Satan.

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

A Klingon, you say?

Ah, good old Gowron. Those were eyes you could trust.
    Sean_F said:

Cookie said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Go on...?
    You would not get to be head of a major investment bank (like David Benioff’s father), a high roller in the public or private sectors, or Archbishop of Canterbury without being in league with Satan.
    I find it hard to believe Rowan Williams and Robert Runcie were ever in league with Satan, they were basically sandle wearing LDs
    ydoethur said:

I’m not sure whether to be glad or sorry.

Glad I’m going to Portugal not Geneva.

Or sorry I didn’t know which gate to look at when they announced tonight’s flight to Geneva was diverting to Lyon. I haven’t seen a good riot in a while.

Although my flight is nearly an hour late now as well.

You’re just reminding me why I have avoided both planes and airports since before Covid.

Yet another service industry that has completely lost the concept of service.
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jesus is God

It's why it took several hundred years to come up with a few general consensuses about what it even meant to be Christian and the nature of Christ. And even then not everyone is signed up.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,874
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

A Klingon, you say?

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

A Klingon, you say?

Oh really?

No, O’Reilly.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 52,081
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

Cookie said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Go on...?
    I find it hard to believe Rowan Williams and Robert Runcie were ever in league with Satan, they were basically sandle wearing LDs
    Satan's Little Helpers...
    viewcode said:

Labour being more Tory than the Tories. Again. As the enshittification of the UK continues

https://nitter.poast.org/doctor_oxford/status/1846798999673593870#m

It's not a Labour decision it's a local one? The objection being Labour have not (yet) changed the rules back to prevent that sort of thing?
    edited October 18
    Cookie said:

The West is the outlier, both currently, and historically.

To most people worldwide, Christ and His Saints, Ganesh, Allah, Lord Buddah, are as real as members of their own families, as they were through history.

A big error, when studying history, is to think that people did not take their stated beliefs seriously.
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jesus is God

Thanks for the link. Genuinely. It certainly seems to be the case that these are not original questions and have troubled many far cleverer than me.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,550
    Scott_xP said:

The dodos did survive rather longer (or at least lived much later) than the non-avian theropod dinosaurs, though.
  • Sean_F said:

Cookie said:

To most people worldwide, Christ and His Saints, Ganesh, Allah, Lord Buddah, are as real as members of their own families.
    I would say Northern Europe and North America are the outliers.

The above also still applies across large rural areas of both South America and Southern Europe.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,822
    HYUFD said:

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jesus is God
    Would they be entitled to three seats in the House of Lords?

Sean_F said:

Cookie said:

To most people worldwide, Christ and His Saints, Ganesh, Allah, Lord Buddah, are as real as members of their own families.

The above also still applies across large rural areas of both South America and Southern Europe.
    Yes, I agree. I've just returned from Naples. Everywhere, you see little shrines, where people burn candles and lay flowers.

Sean_F said:

Cookie said:

Plus the Bible Belt in the USA
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 52,081
    If you get a call from "Spam Risk Egypt" - it's from Donald Trump.
    edited October 18
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

Cookie said:

Plus the Bible Belt in the USA
    I find that more of a manufactured religiosity. Similar to the way in 1950's Scotland or Northern Ireland, people would go to work on Christmas Day, to show that they were not pagans.

HYUFD said:

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jesus is God
    Would they be entitled to three seats in the House of Lords?
    Might depend on whether those feet did indeed walk our hills in ancient times. Otherwise they would almost certainly not qualify.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,433
    A friend of mine just got diagnosed with pancreatic cancer.

Fuck.
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jesus is God

Thanks for the link. Genuinely. It certainly seems to be the case that these are not original questions and have troubled many far cleverer than me.
    Another 2000 years and the kinks will probably have been ironed out.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,898
    HYUFD said:

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jesus is God
    That would be an ecumenical matter.
    edited October 18
    Sean_F said:

Cookie said:

To most people worldwide, Christ and His Saints, Ganesh, Allah, Lord Buddah, are as real as members of their own families, as they were through history.

A big error, when studying history, is to think that people did not take their stated beliefs seriously.
    It's one reason I enjoy historical fiction, because it's not that dissimilar from fantasy/sci-fi in the emphasis on world building, and, in the good examples, people's attitudes and beliefs being a world away from modern western society (it need not be actually accurate, it is fiction, so long as it feels different).
    rcs1000 said:

Fuck.

I'm assuming you know the implications. Especially if it has spread to the liver. 😞 My sympathies, by the way
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,457
    HYUFD said:

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jesus is God
    Who is the Holy Ghost? You don't hear much about him. Sounds spooky.
  • DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 717
    kyf_100 said:

HYUFD said:

The idea of marriage itself is weird. A contract we enter into that's kinda legally binding but also not, best case scenario you live happily ever after together (in which case you can do that without the bit of paper), worst case scenario you end up hating each other and then it's a costly and difficult process to disentangle yourself.

As gamblers we should all appreciate that the concept of marriage is largely EV-, with very little financial upside (except tax breaks?) but a whole raft of problems if we lose. And you can live happily ever after together without actually marrying. So why bother?

Apologies again for chewing you out yesterday, by the way, I thought you were having a go at Viewcode, who I'm rather fond of (not least in part because they get all my nerdy sci fi references...)
    I got married because I kinda needed to for visa reasons, otherwise my wife who I'd met here on a tourist visa would have had to fuck off (well she still did actually, due to the way the application works - the application can't be done in country - but it wasn't for that long). Taking a gambler view on it I figured that if it didn't work out then a divorce after a year (I have a tenuous claim to being Scottish which halves the time limit) wouldn't be that big a deal). This sort of eloping is also extremely handy as it makes the wedding etc miles cheaper as you do it at a registry office on the Isle of Man (only way to legally manage it in British Isles in our situation) and spend fuck all.

After a few years and it getting to stage kids were sensible, it has a lot of advantages for them if we were to split up, although yes, admittedly not so much for me. But it would be artificial to ignore them and concentrate only on me in my calculus.

Anyway it's going great so far after six or seven years, but no proper gambler would assume the past guarantees the future!

Incidentally as any married man will confirm you get treated better by civilised people with a wedding ring / wife. Significantly better in many cases. In all sorts of ways. Something that surprised me as, not being a civilised person, I didn't really know how they behaved.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 17,009
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

The dodos did survive rather longer (or at least lived much later) than the non-avian theropod dinosaurs, though.
    I thought the PB consensus was that birds ARE dinosaurs..
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,215
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HY - credit to you. you have been right, right from the start, to be sceptical about the Joe-Kam swap out being game changer. It’s been growing increasingly obvious all month that Trump has won this.

Actually Trump has done his best to lose this, the cost of living crisis and immigration and border failure over the last 4 years, off his watch, is giving him another four years as President. Yeah yeah, for sure Trump wouldn’t have handled those issues any better, but that sadly isn’t how democratic electoral politics works. Biden was way behind and certain for defeat for much more than having age caught up with him.

It might teeny possibility have turned out different, if Kamala had come across as presidential and appeared ready for the presidency. She’s half okay, and half immature lightweight.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,775
    rkrkrk said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I don't know if you're joking but I actually would see a place for an element of randomness in the selection. The key is that it's a diverse and diffuse process. What you don't want is some single centralised body running the recruitment. If you have that there's a serious risk of corruption and groupthink.
    I think randomly selecting from all those with an honour (excluding those nominated by PMs) every 3 years might work I think. You'd skew a bit older because those people have presumably achieved something but I think that collection of people would add a lot. Plus hard for anyone to stack it because there's thousands of people to choose from historically.
    Absolutely no way in hell. The majority of people who get honours are civil servants....the last people we want to give any extra say to.
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Cookie said:

Yes, I agree. I've just returned from Naples. Everywhere, you see little shrines, where people burn candles and lay flowers.
    My mother-in-law went on a cruise. It was staffed - as these things are - by Indonesians. In a friendly conversation, they asked her what religion she was - she replied she was an atheist. "But who do you pray to?" They were not bothered that she might pray to a different God, but deeply troubled, and incomprehending, that she might not have one at all.
    Sean_F said:

Cookie said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Go on...?
    Normally I'd think you were joking but this thread has got so strange I'm not totally sure...

I don't believe there are any genuine satanists. Christianity grew because of the promise of eternal life (in a good way). Why would someone who genuinely believed sign up for eternal torment?
    I do believe there are a lot of edgelords, but I'm pretty sure that almost by definition they don't sincerely believe.
    The human population being what it is, naturally, there are some genuinely mad people right at the left hand end of the bell curve, of course.
    viewcode said:

rcs1000 said:

Fuck.

I'm assuming you know the implications. Especially if it has spread to the liver. 😞 My sympathies, by the way
    It hasn't spread yet, and has been caught surprisingly early, but it's such a rapid grower that it may be too late.
    Sean_F said:

Cookie said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Go on...?
    Damn it, you're saying that's why I've failed?
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,519
    Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

Also, some loon is going to bring the Dodo back eventually.

A DNA sequence exists.
    Cookie said:

Sean_F said:

Cookie said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Go on...?
    Normally I'd think you were joking but this thread has got so strange I'm not totally sure...

I don't believe there are any genuine satanists. Christianity grew because of the promise of eternal life (in a good way). Why would someone who genuinely believed sign up for eternal torment?
    I do believe there are a lot of edgelords, but I'm pretty sure that almost by definition they don't sincerely believe.
    The human population being what it is, naturally, there are some genuinely mad people right at the left hand end of the bell curve, of course.
    Not a christian so not an expert, I suspect that those on the side of satan merely feel that god had a better pr department. Examining the bible god does seem to have killed off quite a lot of people and done plenty of what would be called evil acts such as slaughter of the first born. Not so much in there about satan's evil acts apart from a little tempting

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

A DNA sequence exists.
    Why bother they probably taste like chicken
    Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

A DNA sequence exists.
    Sure, but we should fine out just to be sure.

Maybe they can be even more efficiently reared than chickens, yum yum.
    Cookie said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Cookie said:

My mother-in-law went on a cruise. It was staffed - as these things are - by Indonesians. In a friendly conversation, they asked her what religion she was - she replied she was an atheist. "But who do you pray to?" They were not bothered that she might pray to a different God, but deeply troubled, and incomprehending, that she might not have one at all.
    Atheism and agnosticism is more common that @Sean_F suggests.

The majority (probably close to 70%) of people in both China and Japan identify as secular, atheist or agnostic. Shinto and Buddhism are increasingly cultural identification - like me celebrating Christmas - than firm religious belief. And South Korea is not far behind those two.

South American has also seen a big uptick in atheism/agnosticism. For example, in Uruguay, around 40% of the population is either atheist, agnostic, or non-religious. Chile has also seen a rise in irreligion, with about 36% of the population identifying as non-religious in 2022.

Now, sure, there are still some deeply religious countries out there (in Africa or Asia). But then again, Spain, Portugal, Italy and Ireland used to be highly religious, and they certainly aren't anymore.
    edited October 18
    Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

A DNA sequence exists.
    They may well do, but imagine how much you could charge. I can see @Leon being first in the queue.

I believe a Woolly Mammoth sequence exists too.

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

A DNA sequence exists.
    She's still alive isn't she?
    Pagan2 said:

Cookie said:

Sean_F said:

Cookie said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Go on...?

Not a christian so not an expert, I suspect that those on the side of satan merely feel that god had a better pr department. Examining the bible god does seem to have killed off quite a lot of people and done plenty of what would be called evil acts such as slaughter of the first born. Not so much in there about satan's evil acts apart from a little tempting
    Yes, God might have been too proactive in taking him down before he did much of anything. Eru Iluvatar did a better job letting Melkor show his true colours, and was a lot more humble, to the point his name was barely even mentioned by others.
    rcs1000 said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

A DNA sequence exists.
    She's still alive isn't she?
    Maybe just resting, like the rest of the Cameroons.

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

Scott_xP said:

A DNA sequence exists.
    They may well do, but imagine how much you could charge. I can imagine @Leon being first in the queue.

I believe a Woolly Mammoth sequence exists too.
    Don't have to recreate those however just defrost a few

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2019/12/permafrozen-dinner/604069/