Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Sir Gavin Williamson speaks for the Tories and the nation – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,768
    viewcode said:

MattW said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

All hereditaries must go - there is simply no excuse for it - but I'm out of whack in that I do not want to see an elected upper chamber. We have more than enough voting as it is. Voting is essential to democracy but it is not the same as democracy. You need some voting (obviously) but it's facile and mistaken to assume that the more voting there is the more democratic a society you have.

I support an appointed upper chamber. Routes into it to be many and varied and designed such as to get a good micro facsimile of the population as a whole. Young, old, male, female, arts, crafts, scientists, business, tech, finance, white collar, blue collar, all in there if they are willing and sufficiently able. Part time only, modestly remunerated, serve one fixed term of two years then replaced with somebody else. No parties (political or otherwise).

We could have a randomly selected 'House of People' to go with the elected 'House of Politicians'.
    Didn't the Greeks try that?

I seem to remember it was a load of balls.
    Wasn't it black and white pebbles for the Romans and broken potsherds for the Greeks ?
    Psephology is from the Greek psephos, 'pebble', because the Greeks used pebble to vote.
    A pedant notes that using one pebble to vote is not very democratic.
    But conclusive!
    Could we write numbers on the pebbles? a kind of PTV? Pebble transferable vote?
  • ydoethur said:

Can I hurriedly divert the thread by telling everyone how following a ticket issue on the Underground I was refunded with...

*whisper it*

cash....

My sympathies. A bizarre example of a refund being made in a pointless and antiquated form of barter that the refunder itself doesn’t accept. A collectors’ item of a case study!
    I was at the post office yesterday and I overpaid apparently on my card by 20p

The cashier refunded the 20p in cash, not back to my card
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,616
    viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

There are no circumstances under which Sir Gavin 'Huawei' Williamson speaks for anyone but himself and his chums.

He's right on this.
    No he isn't. We had the argument about the nature of the HoL a decade ago and the answer is clear: it shouldn't be a democratically elected body, but instead a collection of experts and interest groups to advise, amend, and delay.
    Actually, we had the argument 114 years ago and the 1911 Parliament Act includes the following by way of introduction:

"it is intended to substitute for the House of Lords as it at present exists a Second Chamber constituted on a popular instead of hereditary basis"

The Commons has far too much power already - or, more accurately, a prime minister with a comfortable majority has far too much unchecked power. A Senate, elected from the regions by STV, would be a useful check on that power. Not necessarily co-equal but certainly more in that direction than as present.

For most of parliament's history, the Lords *was* more-or-less equal with the Commons; Britain didn't do too badly from the arrangement. And most other democracies have second chambers with substantially more power than the Lords does, and get by well enough.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,304

I regard the Bishops as less of an embarrassment than many of those other appointees to the Lords. But I've said it before and I'll say it again. The bigger problem for the Monarchy going forward is not that it's an anachronism in a democracy but the religious doctrine underpinning it. The coronation of Charles III was borderline farcical. Anyway if we're discussing arcane institutions that need to go I'd start with:

1) The City of London Corporation
    2) The City of London Police - what possible reason do they need their own police force - are they doing lots of counter fraud/money laundering work we don't hear about?
    3) Faith schools

Removing the religious element of monarchical ceremony strikes me as a mistake, despite being an atheist monarchist. Most ceremonies, even in republics, are inherently a bit silly, but they have to take themselves relatively seriously, and the religious element gave it all an air of stuffy, old fashioned faux-grandure, and we lack the kind of non-cynical civic passion to replace it with almost as silly but modern ceremony.
  • Smart51 said:

Disestablishment is a three sided triangle. The church has bishops in the HoL, the King is the head of the church, and the PM appoints archbishops. Either all three should stop at the same time, or all three should continue until we're ready to stop all three.

In Scotland Jesus Christ is head of their church, which makes sense
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 23,068
    The main block to Lords reform is sheer apathy. The Man on the Clapham Omnibus is probably more au fait with the rules of Love Island than the roles and workings of the Upper Chamber.
    I hope they never get rid of hereditaries, I think it's hilarious the temporary solution from 1999 is still ongoing 25 years on.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,874

I regard the Bishops as less of an embarrassment than many of those other appointees to the Lords. But I've said it before and I'll say it again. The bigger problem for the Monarchy going forward is not that it's an anachronism in a democracy but the religious doctrine underpinning it. The coronation of Charles III was borderline farcical. Anyway if we're discussing arcane institutions that need to go I'd start with:

2) The City of London Police - what possible reason do they need their own police force - are they doing lots of counter fraud/money laundering work we don't hear about?
    3) Faith schools

On 2, seems probable on the police's recent form.

Oh, sorry, you meant working to prevent it?

Smart51 said:

Disestablishment is a three sided triangle. The church has bishops in the HoL, the King is the head of the church, and the PM appoints archbishops. Either all three should stop at the same time, or all three should continue until we're ready to stop all three.

Sure, but he still needs middle managers, of various different titles depending on the church.
    kle4 said:

3) Faith schools

Removing the religious element of monarchical ceremony strikes me as a mistake, despite being an atheist monarchist. Most ceremonies, even in republics, are inherently a bit silly, but they have to take themselves relatively seriously, and the religious element gave it all an air of stuffy, old fashioned faux-grandure, and we lack the kind of non-cynical civic passion to replace it with almost as silly but modern ceremony.
    The coronation of Chaz was an embarrassment. Boring and irrelevant to all but the most obsessive royal fanciers.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,982
    ydoethur said:

3) Faith schools

IIRC the City of London Police regard the Met as a bunch of chancers.

The CoL Police are well down the scoreboard of crimes committed.

ydoethur said:

Can I hurriedly divert the thread by telling everyone how following a ticket issue on the Underground I was refunded with...

*whisper it*

cash....

My sympathies. A bizarre example of a refund being made in a pointless and antiquated form of barter that the refunder itself doesn’t accept. A collectors’ item of a case study!

On what did you spend this unexpected windfall?
  • kle4 said:

Smart51 said:

Sure, but he still needs middle managers, of various different titles depending on the church.
    Like Charles in England !!!!!!
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,615
    edited October 18
    Gavin Williamson is not a nice person in my view and will never speak for me whatever the subject might be..
  • ydoethur said:

*whisper it*

cash....

On what did you spend this unexpected windfall?
    Put in a box of coins in the house
  • MattWMattW Posts: 22,328
    edited October 18
    Smart51 said:

three sided triangle

Father William of Ockham is spinning in his grave.
  • Marvellous, and so revealing of the cultural abd psychological backdrop of Brexit

The loony hereditary protestor that I remember from 1999 seems to have been been Lord Burford, a descendant of an illegitimate son of Charles Ii. "This law must be stopped. It is the abolition of Britain ! It was made in Brusseis !"
    Don’t know how accurate this is but apparently only 2% of the UK population are CoE regulars. The established church is a complete nonsense.

https://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2020/10/regular-c-of-e-worshippers-form-less-than-2-percent-of-englands-population
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,669

kle4 said:

3) Faith schools

The coronation of Chaz was an embarrassment. Boring and irrelevant to all but the most obsessive royal fanciers.
    Only a philistine with no sense of beauty, tradition and heritage could say such a thing.

Zadok the Prince and the Orthodox chant for starters were magnificant
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,639

ydoethur said:

3) Faith schools

But why the hell do we have a tiny separate police force in the middle of London? And why is the local government structure in the square mile so peculiar?

kle4 said:

3) Faith schools

Of course it was boring. Most ceremonies are, and it was a bloody long example of one. I don't quite get what was embarrassing about it though. It was essentially a church service - not my thing at all, and church services are often silly to non-believers - and I'm not really sure how it would magically become non-embarrassing if it had been a non-religious ceremony instead.

Presumably, it would have involved most of the same people - with fewer priests - some dull speeches and possibly singing, signing bits of paper, that kind of thing. Still sounds pretty boring. I know some places have inaugurations which they try to make more interesting, but they still look like dull events.
    edited October 18
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, by definition you cannot be a Tory if you do not support the presence of the hereditary peers and C of E Bishops in the Lords as well as the Crown. The modern Conservative Party supported capitalism and free market economics as it absorbed Liberals to add on to Tories to try and defeat Labour to create today's Conservative Party.

So you can be a Conservative and not support Bishops in the Lords as Roman Catholic Williamson does but you cannot be a Tory.

I am also gravely concerned by Williamson aligning with Corbynites in Labour and Green and SNP MPs to try and remove the Bishops. Even Starmer to be fair to him only wishes to remove the remaining hereditary peers from the Lords not the Bishops too but true Tories should oppose him on that as well, supporting the inherited wisdom and experience the hereditaries bring as well as the diocesan Bishops and Archbishops who represent the role our established church has in our nation.

Fellow Roman Catholic Sir Edward Leigh was far more sensible, suggesting 12 C of E bishops remain in the Lords, ie based on seniority but adding some representatives of other denominations and faiths in the upper house as well.

https://x.com/EdwardLeighGB/status/1846552053360849116

Note too a plurality of Tories want to keep at least a partly appointed House of Lords with an elected element as well.

The majority of Labour and LD voters who join the majority of Reform voters in wanting a fully elected upper house should be wary what they wish for. An elected upper house would likely often have a Conservative and Reform majority if elected midterm of a Labour government and would use that mandate to block outright bills coming from the Labour majority or Labour and LD majority commons

You repeat your nonsense about the purity of being a conservative

You have your view, I have mine and I was confirmed by a Bishop, served as a COE server at communion services until I was 16 and know rhe service inside out but do not support the Bishops in the HOL

Indeed the whole thing needs reform and elected accountability

Let the Bishops stand for election
    All well and good BigG but such a view makes you a Radical Liberal not a Tory
    Give it a rest

You cannot put me in one of your ludicrous boxes

Ironically, I have given more years of service to the conservatives than you have
    I didn't say you weren't a 21st century Conservative, I said you were not a Tory, a term whose definition comes from the late 17th, 18th and early 19th centuries
    Are any Conservatives still Tories then?

There might be more rebels/bandits, probably of Irish origin, as per the original tories.
    Rees Mogg, Danny Kruger, Tugendhat to name but 3
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,670

kle4 said:

3) Faith schools

But what about Zadok the Priest?

ydoethur said:

3) Faith schools

But why the hell do we have a tiny separate police force in the middle of London? And why is the local government structure in the square mile so peculiar?
    We don't like designing comprehensive systems, even when we do big reorganisations. When talk turns to sui generis or time immemorial it casts a spell on us.

Don’t know how accurate this is but apparently only 2% of the UK population are CoE regulars. The established church is a complete nonsense.

https://www.secularism.org.uk/news/2020/10/regular-c-of-e-worshippers-form-less-than-2-percent-of-englands-population

The purpose of the Established Church is to prevent religion.

If you abolish it, it will be replaced with large numbers of active religious types banging on about God, replacing the elderly idiots tentatively offering cups of tea and vague niceness.
  • Don’t know how accurate this is but apparently only 2% of the UK population are CoE regulars. The established church is a complete nonsense.

It is not a nonsense to some and I have no issue with it

I have quoted Dave Allen on several occasions

'May your God go with you'
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

3) Faith schools

Great Champions League theme.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,438

viewcode said:

MattW said:

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

All hereditaries must go - there is simply no excuse for it - but I'm out of whack in that I do not want to see an elected upper chamber. We have more than enough voting as it is. Voting is essential to democracy but it is not the same as democracy. You need some voting (obviously) but it's facile and mistaken to assume that the more voting there is the more democratic a society you have.

I support an appointed upper chamber. Routes into it to be many and varied and designed such as to get a good micro facsimile of the population as a whole. Young, old, male, female, arts, crafts, scientists, business, tech, finance, white collar, blue collar, all in there if they are willing and sufficiently able. Part time only, modestly remunerated, serve one fixed term of two years then replaced with somebody else. No parties (political or otherwise).

We could have a randomly selected 'House of People' to go with the elected 'House of Politicians'.
    Didn't the Greeks try that?

I seem to remember it was a load of balls.
    Wasn't it black and white pebbles for the Romans and broken potsherds for the Greeks ?
    Psephology is from the Greek psephos, 'pebble', because the Greeks used pebble to vote.
    A pedant notes that using one pebble to vote is not very democratic.
    But conclusive!
    Could we write numbers on the pebbles? a kind of PTV? Pebble transferable vote?
    In this case, a Single Transferable Pebble. :)
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,296
    ydoethur said:

3) Faith schools

On which topic.

https://www.wigantoday.net/news/courts/corrupt-wigan-cop-who-dealt-cocaine-jailed-for-19-years-4830517
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 14,268
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

3) Faith schools

I loved the fact that he was holding the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch

ydoethur said:

3) Faith schools

Historically, for both, because of the tendency of the Government to try and "borrow" all the money by Right.

More recently, because they run things effectively. Why break something that isn't broken?
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

3) Faith schools

Is he that dude from The Hitchhikers’ Guide to the Galaxy?
    edited October 18

Far more than 2% go to C of E services at Christmas or Easter or weddings, baptisms and funerals in the C of E's churches as well.

The Roman Catholic church normally requires those who get married in its churches to regularly attend its services and be baptised Catholic, if disestablished the C of E would similarly end automatic right of parishioners to marry or get buried in its churches. They would often have to show evidence of regular service attendance and baptism first. More well funded and well attended C of E evangelical churches in particular would block automatic marriages and baptisms and funerals in their churches as they have less need of the income they get from them and would restrict them only to those who are regular members of their congregations and their immediate family
  • HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

3) Faith schools

Only a philistine with no sense of beauty, tradition and heritage could say such a thing.

Zadok the Prince and the Orthodox chant for starters were magnificant
    To be honest it is an anachronism but many, like yourself, believe in it but you must accept many do not have your devotion to the Monarchy

Of course, but does 1 in 50 people’s God have to go with everyone whether they like it or not?

Smart51 said:

It is said that his descendants live there!
  • Don’t know how accurate this is but apparently only 2% of the UK population are CoE regulars. The established church is a complete nonsense.

Of course, but does 1 in 50 people’s God have to go with everyone whether they like it or not?
    God can be anything to an individual from spiritual devotion to money to possessions to almost anything
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

3) Faith schools

We don't like designing comprehensive systems, even when we do big reorganisations. When talk turns to sui generis or time immemorial it casts a spell on us.
    You have a point about the bog standard. But the paradox of a backward looking country is that we have most definitely lost our religion.
    HYUFD said:

Far more than 2% go to C of E services at Christmas or Easter or weddings, baptisms and funerals in the C of E's churches as well.

The Roman Catholic church normally requires those who get married in its churches to regularly attend its services and be baptised Catholic, if disestablished the C of E would similarly end automatic right of parishioners to marry or get buried in its churches. They would have to show evidence of regular service attendance and baptism first. More well funded and well attended C of E evangelical churches in particular would block automatic marriages and baptisms and funerals in their churches as they have less need of the income they get from them and would restrict them only to those who are regular members of their congregations and their immediate family
    ...and the world as we know it would end. Amen.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,768
    Smart51 said:

Pedant alert!!
    are their any non 3 sided triangles?
    HYUFD said:

The Roman Catholic church normally requires those who get married in its churches to regularly attend its services and be baptised Catholic, if disestablished the C of E would similarly end automatic right of parishioners to marry or get buried in its churches. They would often have to show evidence of regular service attendance and baptism first. More well funded and well attended C of E evangelical churches in particular would block automatic marriages and baptisms and funerals in their churches as they have less need of the income they get from them and would restrict them only to those who are regular members of their congregations and their immediate family
    Never grasped why anyone would want to marry in a church unless they were religious in any case. The idea is faintly absurd. And hotels are more fun.
  • HYUFD said:

The Roman Catholic church normally requires those who get married in its churches to regularly attend its services and be baptised Catholic, if disestablished the C of E would similarly end automatic right of parishioners to marry or get buried in its churches. They would have to show evidence of regular service attendance and baptism first. More well funded and well attended C of E evangelical churches in particular would block automatic marriages and baptisms and funerals in their churches as they have less need of the income they get from them and would restrict them only to those who are regular members of their congregations and their immediate family
    @Anabobazina used 'regular' in his reference
  • MattWMattW Posts: 22,328
    HYUFD said:

On a serious point, did those happen in Wales in 1920 ?
    edited October 18
    MattW said:

HYUFD said:

On a serious point, did those happen in Wales in 1920 ?
    The Church in Wales doesn't have the numbers of conservative evangelical churches the C of E has, once disestablished such churches could and would refuse marriages and burials and baptisms to local people unless they attend their churches regularly
    edited October 18

HYUFD said:

Never grasped why anyone would want to marry in a church unless they were religious in any case. The idea is faintly absurd. And hotels are more fun.
    Plenty still think of themselves as Christian even if not regular church attenders and being married in a beautiful medieval or 17th century local parish church by right is rather more attractive than being married in some 2 star hotel off the A1. Plus rather cheaper than having to fork out the huge fees 5* hotels require for wedding ceremonies
    edited October 18
    Personally I think the Lords could be reformed to provide an excellent revising chamber for not just the commons but also the devolved nations as well, ensuring that the whole UK had a system that was equitable and made sense. It should be 100% elected with representatives who only serve a maximum of two (say) seven year terms and they should be people who have already served society in a senior capacity in either private, public or voluntary sector and also the judicial system.

None of this will happen because Sir Keir Freebie will try to gerrymander it to his own party advantage
  • The last few years have pretty conclusively proved that an appointed HoL is open to appalling levels of corruption and cronyism (and not just by the Cons).

This is an easy option for the Lab party and it is a sign of their rather cack-handed political skills that they bottled it.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,281
    edited October 18

Smart51 said:

Pedant alert!!
    are their any non 3 sided triangles?
    Dairylea triangles have 5.

HYUFD said:

To borrow from Cmdr Vimes, it's not essential God show up, but he should feel at home if he does.

Some hotels fit the bill.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Plenty still think of themselves as Christian even if not regular church attenders and being married in a beautiful medieval or 17th century local parish church by right is rather more attractive than being married in some 2 star hotel off the A1. Plus rather cheaper than having to fork out the huge fees 5* hotels require for wedding ceremonies
    I thought 'proper' C of E attendees weren't too keen on people with no prior affiliation getting married in their churches.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,510
    edited October 18
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Our daughter 1998 and son 2020 were both married in St Trillos Parish Church in Rhos on Sea, which my late father, mother and sister worshipped at and are buried in the graveyard

Neither my daughter or son were worshippers there

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Our daughter 1998 and son 2020 were both married in St Trillos Parish Church in Rhos on Sea, which my late father, mother and sister worshipped at and are buried in the graveyard

Interesting names your kids have Big_G
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,160
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I don't know if you're joking but I actually would see a place for an element of randomness in the selection. The key is that it's a diverse and diffuse process. What you don't want is some single centralised body running the recruitment. If you have that there's a serious risk of corruption and groupthink.
    I think randomly selecting from all those with an honour (excluding those nominated by PMs) every 3 years might work I think. You'd skew a bit older because those people have presumably achieved something but I think that collection of people would add a lot. Plus hard for anyone to stack it because there's thousands of people to choose from historically.
  • Clutch_BromptonClutch_Brompton Posts: 732
    edited October 18
    News from the US

Rep-leaning pollster TIPP has moved the natonal Harris lead back down to 2%. HarrisX, who tend to be at the Rep end of polls, have it tied. So any idea of a Harris push seems a little over-stated (to be generous). ActiVote who are generally at the Dem end have Trump 2% ahead but amazingly, like Fox, would have Harris winning the electoral college! I'll believe that when it happens!

Trump insiders say he is 100% confident of easy victory. Insiders also say the interview cancellations are due to 'exhaustion'. Hmmnn.

Electoral vote yesterday had a helpful table on the result according to the polls being wrong (which they will be - we just don't know by how much or in which direction). https://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2024/Items/Oct17-5.html

That is all the analysis of numerical angelic populations on the head of a pin for today!
  • eekeek Posts: 27,711

The last few years have pretty conclusively proved that an appointed HoL is open to appalling levels of corruption and cronyism (and not just by the Cons).

This is an easy option for the Lab party and it is a sign of their rather cack-handed political skills that they bottled it.

Reforming the house of lords without a fully agreed plan was a disaster waiting to happen - it's best avoided via minor changes now followed by a discussion then implementation after the next election...
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,438

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

A long tale in a short sentence. We have not handed on a good world to the next generations... ☹️
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,467
    Maybe I'm old fashioned but I have absolutely no issue at all with the hereditary peers, and even quite like them.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 17,124
    I have a recollection of hereditary peers who hardly turned up in the House of Lords from one year to the next enthusiastically voting for the Poll Tax so they could eliminate the ratable tax bills on their own stately piles.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,490

ydoethur said:

3) Faith schools

In answer to the second question, because few people live there, but lots of businesses do business there.

News from the US

Rep-leaning pollster TIPP has moved the natonal Harris lead back down to 2%. HarrisX, who tend to be at the Rep end of polls, have it tied. So any idea of a Harris push seems a little over-stated (to be generous). ActiVote who are generally at the Dem end have Trump 2% ahead but amazingly, like Fox, would have Harris winning the electoral college! I'll believe that when it happens!

Trump insiders say he is 100% confident of easy victory. Insiders also say the interview cancellations are due to 'exhaustion'. Hmmnn.

Electoral vote yesterday had a helpful table on the result according to the polls being wrong (which they will be - we just don't know by how much or in which direction). https://www.electoral-vote.com/evp2024/Items/Oct17-5.html

That is all the analysis of numerical angelic populations on the head of a pin for today!

Trump is always 100% confident of easy victory, that's why he thinks any time he loses, even in NY or California, it must be fraud.

I'll still just flip a coin for the outcome.
    Sean_F said:

I think we should only have hereditary peers. And, repeal the Parliament Act 1911.

Forward to the Past!

Hereditary peers often have a better sense of public service and duty to their communities, having been linked to the land for centuries, than Life Peers or elected politicians.

Not everything in government is a test of democratic purity.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,040
    At the last census less than 50% said they were Christian. By the time of the next one there might be a majority of people ticking the "No Religion" box.

It's not just the Bishops that should go, we need Disestablishmentarianism.

viewcode said:

ydoethur said:

There are no circumstances under which Sir Gavin 'Huawei' Williamson speaks for anyone but himself and his chums.

He's right on this.
    No he isn't. We had the argument about the nature of the HoL a decade ago and the answer is clear: it shouldn't be a democratically elected body, but instead a collection of experts and interest groups to advise, amend, and delay.
    Actually, we had the argument 114 years ago and the 1911 Parliament Act includes the following by way of introduction:

"it is intended to substitute for the House of Lords as it at present exists a Second Chamber constituted on a popular instead of hereditary basis"

The Commons has far too much power already - or, more accurately, a prime minister with a comfortable majority has far too much unchecked power. A Senate, elected from the regions by STV, would be a useful check on that power. Not necessarily co-equal but certainly more in that direction than as present.

For most of parliament's history, the Lords *was* more-or-less equal with the Commons; Britain didn't do too badly from the arrangement. And most other democracies have second chambers with substantially more power than the Lords does, and get by well enough.
    A "Senate" isn't British and STV even less so. We're not a Roman Republic.

The reason HoL Reform has never happened is due to the shit ideas for its alternatives.
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

3) Faith schools

Of course it was boring. Most ceremonies are, and it was a bloody long example of one. I don't quite get what was embarrassing about it though. It was essentially a church service - not my thing at all, and church services are often silly to non-believers - and I'm not really sure how it would magically become non-embarrassing if it had been a non-religious ceremony instead.

Presumably, it would have involved most of the same people - with fewer priests - some dull speeches and possibly singing, signing bits of paper, that kind of thing. Still sounds pretty boring. I know some places have inaugurations which they try to make more interesting, but they still look like dull events.
    I don't think the Coronation was dull in the slightest.

In fact, I found it quite moving and magical.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,195
    HYUFD said:

My sister wasn’t, and still isn’t, a Roman Catholic, but her late husband was and he insisted they married in an RC church, much to our father’s disgust.

He was much happier when we got into the reception and the drinking.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,296

ydoethur said:

3) Faith schools

In answer to the second question, because few people live there, but lots of businesses do business there.
    Loads more than used to. Estimate is over 13 000 now.
    Went to look at a one bedroom flat in 1996 for £35k there.
    Decided to blow the deposit on several more years in Asia, instead of being wealthy.
    kle4 said:

I hope they never get rid of hereditaries, I think it's hilarious the temporary solution from 1999 is still ongoing 25 years on.

You've got to keep it real.

It's very cool that they can have by-elections where the Duke of Wellington beats the Marquess of Abergavenny.
    I'm with @HYUFD here
  • CatMan said:

At the last census less than 50% said they were Christian. By the time of the next one there might be a majority of people ticking the "No Religion" box.

But surely then we'll be left with a backlash of antidisestablishmentarianism ?
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,040

CatMan said:

We can solve that with antiantidisestablishmentarianism.

HYUFD said:

My sister wasn’t, and still isn’t, a Roman Catholic, but her late husband was and he insisted they married in an RC church, much to our father’s disgust.

That also applies to the priest sometimes.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,854

kle4 said:

3) Faith schools

That must be why it got 19 million viewers in the UK and 400 million worldwide. At least 5% of the world's population and 30% of the UK's are clearly obsessive royal fanciers.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,399
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

GOD IS SINGLE! MARRIAGE IS BLASPHEMY!

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jesus is God
    CatMan said:

CatMan said:

We can solve that with antiantidisestablishmentarianism.
    At Junior School we used to have to spell that without writing it down.

Sean_F said:

I think we should only have hereditary peers. And, repeal the Parliament Act 1911.

Forward to the Past!

Hereditary peers often have a better sense of public service and duty to their communities, having been linked to the land for centuries, than Life Peers or elected politicians.

Not everything in government is a test of democratic purity.
    They certainly liked the Poll Tax.

HYUFD said:

If her late husband wasn't a practising and baptised Roman Catholic they would have been prohibited from marrying in their RC church by the priest
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,115

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You're clearly not a Trinitarian, like some we could mention.
    Fishing said:

kle4 said:

3) Faith schools

That must be why it got 19 million viewers in the UK and 400 million worldwide. At least 5% of the world's population and 30% of the UK's are clearly obsessive royal fanciers.
    I watched it too but it didn't enhance my feelings for the crown.
    CatMan said:

Crap, as I have already stated that just means an end to the right to marriage, funeral or baptism as of right in your local Parish church which plenty of Christians still want

"I am an atheist, thank god!"

Allen was a religious sceptic.[17] He once said he was "what you might call a practising atheist" and often joked, "I'm an atheist, thank God." His scepticism came as a result of his deeply held objections to the rigidity of his strict Catholic schooling. Consequently, religion became an important subject for his humour, especially the Catholic Church and the Church of England, generally mocking church customs and rituals rather than beliefs. In 1998, he explained:

"The hierarchy of everything in my life has always bothered me. I'm bothered by power. People, whoever they might be, whether it's the government, or the policeman in the uniform, or the man on the door—they still irk me a bit. From school, from the first nun that belted me—people used to think of the nice sweet little ladies—they used to knock the fuck out of you, in the most cruel way that they could. They'd find bits of your body that were vulnerable to intense pain—grabbing you by the ear, or by the nose, and lift you, and say 'Don't cry!' It's very hard not to cry. I mean, not from emotion, but pain. The priests were the same. And I sit and watch politicians with great cynicism, total cynicism."

At the end of his act, Allen always signed off with the words "Goodnight, thank you, and may your God go with you."[28]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Allen_(comedian)

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If it had been a conservative evangelical Anglican Welsh church rather than a liberal Catholic one they would have been refused marriage there

News from the US

What are we expecting turnout to be? At or even above the 65% 2020 mark? Or back down at a more normal 60ish level?
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,793

HYUFD said:

The idea of marriage itself is weird. A contract we enter into that's kinda legally binding but also not, best case scenario you live happily ever after together (in which case you can do that without the bit of paper), worst case scenario you end up hating each other and then it's a costly and difficult process to disentangle yourself.

As gamblers we should all appreciate that the concept of marriage is largely EV-, with very little financial upside (except tax breaks?) but a whole raft of problems if we lose. And you can live happily ever after together without actually marrying. So why bother?

Apologies again for chewing you out yesterday, by the way, I thought you were having a go at Viewcode, who I'm rather fond of (not least in part because they get all my nerdy sci fi references...)
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jesus is God
    But did he marry?
    edited October 18

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I thought 'proper' C of E attendees weren't too keen on people with no prior affiliation getting married in their churches.
    They may well be but as it is the established church a local parishioner who never goes to church is entitled to be married in that church regardless by law
    kyf_100 said:

HYUFD said:

The idea of marriage itself is weird. A contract we enter into that's kinda legally binding but also not, best case scenario you live happily ever after together (in which case you can do that without the bit of paper), worst case scenario you end up hating each other and then it's a costly and difficult process to disentangle yourself.

As gamblers we should all appreciate that the concept of marriage is largely EV-, with very little financial upside (except tax breaks?) but a whole raft of problems if we lose. And you can live happily ever after together without actually marrying. So why bother?

Apologies again for chewing you out yesterday, by the way, I thought you were having a go at Viewcode, who I'm rather fond of (not least in part because they get all my nerdy sci fi references...)
    People ALWAYS believe in marriage - UNTIL they want a divorce!
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,871

kle4 said:

3) Faith schools

An embarrassment to the sort of person who thinks “history is bunk”, and anything published more than a decade ago requires a trigger warning.

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

3) Faith schools

I don't think the Coronation was dull in the slightest.

In fact, I found it quite moving and magical.
    The myths that bind. I'm rather less sneery about it since (recently) doing "Sapiens". Still a little bit sneery though.
  • Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

3) Faith schools

An embarrassment to the sort of person who thinks “history is bunk”, and anything published more than a decade ago requires a trigger warning.
    I thought the service itself was not bad at all.

I think what needs to be scaled back a little is the often, overblown and anachronistic military pageantry at either side of Royal events, not necessarily the events themselves.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,775
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:
    You've Goodwinned the thread!
    Is that a proscribed activity?
    It should be!
    kle4 said:

News from the US

Trump is always 100% confident of easy victory, that's why he thinks any time he loses, even in NY or California, it must be fraud.

Don't do that. You need a view going in.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If her late husband wasn't a practising and baptised Roman Catholic they would have been prohibited from marrying in their RC church by the priest
    At the time of their marriage he was. He and my sister didn’t live in the same parish, CofE or RC.
    kinabalu said:

News from the US

What are we expecting turnout to be? At or even above the 65% 2020 mark? Or back down at a more normal 60ish level?
    Fuck* knows.

*Fuck obviously has a cracking security clearance and reads all his briefing papers. He knows everything.

kle4 said:

You've got to keep it real.

It's very cool that they can have by-elections where the Duke of Wellington beats the Marquess of Abergavenny.
    I always go back to my favourite by-election, to replace Lord Avebury. For some reasons in some cases the whole House votes, and other times only a particular group can, and in that case it was LD heriditary members.

7 candidates, 3 eligible voters.

The end result? 3 votes for one candidate.

That candidate? Previous member of the House of Lords then MP Viscount Thurso (who didn't even submit a statement on why he should be elected).

http://www.parliament.uk/documents/publications-records/House-of-Lords-Publications/By-elections/Result-Liberal-Democrat-hereditary-peers-by-election-result-Avebury.pdf.pdf
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

News from the US

Don't do that. You need a view going in.
    I think Trump will edge it in some key states like Arizona, the GOP have been more prepared to be obstructive this time.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,871

Sean_F said:

kle4 said:

3) Faith schools

I thought the service itself was not bad at all.

I think what needs to be scaled back a little is the often, overblown and anachronistic military pageantry at either side of Royal events, not necessarily the events themselves.
    It’s modern crowns that I find a bit absurd. Medieval hollow crowns and circlets are a lot more elegant.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,433
    Personally, I think the House of Lords needs more religious figures, not fewer. But we also need to go beyond the Church of England. There are plenty of Catholics in the UK, shouldn't they get someone? Ditto Jews and Muslims. And - obviously - there need to be representatives from both the agnostic and atheistic communities. Fwiw, I suspect there aren't enough satanists to justify a spot.