Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Butterfly Effect – Bush vs. Gore revisited – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,427

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

@harris_wins

Donald Trump’s rallies are going so poorly that Kamala Harris just played a highlight reel at her rally tonight.

https://x.com/harris_wins/status/1845986531992879455

If his rallies are going so poorly and recent polls have Harris ahead how do we account for his 1.79 price on bf? Too short surely?
    I have a suspicion that some of the polls and betting sites are being manipulated by the Trump campaign to set up the narrative that the election was stolen.

They have the money to distort the betting and partisan polling outfits that hide their methodology, and they have the motive and ability.

It might be a betting opportunity.

Remember not to bet more than you can afford to lose.
    I'll be about £2K down if Trump wins with a landslide. On the other hand I'm cumulatively £3.2K up on all my political betting so it's Ladbroke's et al's money I'm playing with. I'll be about £2K up if Kamala wins with a landslide.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,870
    Trump will hold a rally at Madison Square gardens nine days before election.

Reports that he has become obsessed with playing at "the garden".

• kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,568

TimS said:

Cookie said:

MaxPB said:

Policy announcement from Harris:

https://x.com/kamalaharris/status/1845993766441644386

• Provide 1 million loans that are fully forgivable up to $20k for Black entrepreneurs and others to start a business
    • Support education training, and mentorship programs that lead to good-paying jobs for Black men, including pathways to become teachers
    • Protect cryptocurrency investments so Black men who make them know their money is safe
    • Launch a national health initiative focused on the illnesses that disproportionately impact Black men
    • Legalize recreational marijuana and create opportunities for Black Americans to succeed in this new industry

This has got to be a spoof, right?

"Protect cryptocurrency investments so Black men who make them know their money is safe"

Is probably the most insane policy I've seen. Are they going to have a race bar on an
    investment value protection scheme?
    More likely it was an email to a subset of voters where they took a handful of her policies and added “for black men”

No, it was an actual tweet that she put out herself. I think? I'm not a twitterer so apologies if this is a spoof.
    If it's a spoof account it's a very successful one - 21 million followers.

Maybe it's a shitposting strategy?

You must know that if you put something like that onto twitter all of Musk's alt-right goons will amplify it.

Feels a bit weird though.
    It looks a perfectly legit tweet to me and nothing out of the ordinary. It would look weird in a British election campaign but remember American daily life is much more racially demarcated than here and this seems fairly run of the mill. Nothing on the tweet is particularly controversial.

The British equivalent would be something that listed the candidate's policies for working class people, or indeed something from a Scottish politician that listed policies that were good for Scotland.

The idea that having good policies for black men or acknowledging historical wrongs visited on native Americans means she hates her country suggests, well, a rather ethno-centric idea of what "her country" should look like.
    It’s weird how the ‘Trump knows how to reach the US clitoris in ways we uptight Brits can’t understand’ guys have an insight into how Kamala is fckng up how she connects to sections of the US electorate.
    It's a variation of the old "we need hard right policies or we'll get a hard right government" shtick.
    Cookie said:

MaxPB said:

• Provide 1 million loans that are fully forgivable up to $20k for Black entrepreneurs and others to start a business
    • Support education training, and mentorship programs that lead to good-paying jobs for Black men, including pathways to become teachers
    • Protect cryptocurrency investments so Black men who make them know their money is safe
    • Launch a national health initiative focused on the illnesses that disproportionately impact Black men
    • Legalize recreational marijuana and create opportunities for Black Americans to succeed in this new industry

"Protect cryptocurrency investments so Black men who make them know their money is safe"

Is probably the most insane policy I've seen. Are they going to have a race bar on an
    More likely it was an email to a subset of voters where they took a handful of her policies and added “for black men”

No, it was an actual tweet that she put out herself. I think? I'm not a twitterer so apologies if this is a spoof.
    My first thought was - F*** this is going to lose her the election.
    Then I thought it must be a spoof.
    Now I think that she and her team must know what they're doing. They'll have looked at all the angles and have the data. I have faith.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 54,160

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

I think this insane Kamala Harris racist crypto bailout policy statement COULD be her “deplorables” - whereas the Columbus Day speech was bad but not dire as it was old. This is new

But yesterday you were saying the Columbus Day speech was Kamala’s deplorables moment.

*emits a wearied sigh*
    You’re going to be finding a lot of deplorables moments over the next month, aren’t you?
    It's slightly odd. His contributions on the US election are not at all what you would expect from someone who'd prefer Donald Trump to lose it.
    Well look, I'd prefer Donald Trump to lose it. But Donald Trump's failings are well known. It's sadly no longer particularly interesting to say 'look at what terrible thing Donald Trump has said now' because he can't actually appear any more unhinged than he already is. If he came onto stage and held his finger horizontally on his lips and flickered it up and down going 'bibibibibibibibi', grinned and pointed at his audience, then walked off, it would no longer particularly surprise us, would it?
    Whereas Kamala becoming more awful - like the clip from 2021 yesterday, and this tweet today - is new news.
    I don't want Trump to win. But Kamala is going to blow it by being an identity-obsessed lunatic who appears to disapprove of the concept of her country and most of the people in it. Isn't she? All she had to do was appear the reasonable centrist, but she can't, because that's not where her instincts lie, and she thinks the views of the weird identity-obsessed crowd she hangs round with are the views of the whole country. It's kind of frustrating. And worthy of comment.
    That clip wasn't part of the campaign it was from 3 years ago. Hardly new news. And this today is a targeted pitch to a voter segment (young black men) who Donald Trump has been making gains with. It's nothing more or less than you'd expect her to be doing.
    But spouting shite is not the answer. Her Tweet today was ridiculous, especially the bit about Crypto.
    Do Black people have a natural talent for Crypto?
    Apparently not according to Kamala. She thinks they’re all gullible fools who need protecting from their bad investments, unlike other races
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,342
    Taz said:

viewcode said:

It feels like a core vote strategy from Kamala recently. Is private polling showing huge Trump leads?...

Define "huge". There have been:

* rumours saying that she was behind with Blacks and Hispanics

The article I linked earlier, from a reputable source, cited Black males especially. Hence the Crypto pitch.
    Thank you. this one? https://decrypt.co/286114/kamala-harris-pro-crypto-stance-black-men
  • MattW said:

An interesting little piece.

Now that coal is gone, rubbish incinerators are the most polluting (per kWh generated) form of electricity.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cp3wxgje5pwo

That's not because rubbish incineration is in any way damaging, it's that natural gas is so good. It's the old "suicide is the number one cause of death in men under 50" or some such thing, that's only because all the other ways men used to die no longer kills them.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,799

There Can Only Be One!
    Barnesian said:

Cookie said:

MaxPB said:

Now I think that she and her team must know what they're doing. They'll have looked at all the angles and have the data. I have faith.
    My initial though is "heck, she thinks all African-American males are pot-smoking drug dealers who do transactions in crypto". And "heck" wasn't the word I used.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,601

You know who else had a rally at the Garden?

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2019/02/20/695941323/when-nazis-took-manhattan
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,546

I am glad to hear he didn’t suffer.

Alex Salmond died while opening a bottle of ketchup, an eyewitness has claimed.

The former first minister of Scotland collapsed and died aged 69 on Saturday, shortly after delivering a speech at a conference in North Macedonia.

Mark Donfried, the director of the Academy for Cultural Diplomacy, said attendees were having lunch at the meeting in the historic lakeside city of Ohrid when Mr Salmond died.

“He came together with Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh, also from the Alba Party in Scotland, and they were eating,” he told Times Radio.

“Later on, Tasmina told me she was having trouble opening the ketchup and she reached over and said: ‘Hey, can you give me a hand?’ And he was helping her with that when literally he fell back in his chair, totally out of the blue, without warning.

“Next to him was the former chief executive of the stock exchange of Cyprus, and he basically took him in his arms. He was convinced, he told me later, that immediately he was unconscious. So we don’t think Alex actually suffered any pain, thank God. He felt his heart and he couldn’t feel the heart rate then.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/10/14/alex-salmond-died-while-opening-bottle-of-ketchup/

Did they manage to get the ketchup open or not?
    The rumour was that Eck opened Tasmina's ketchup years ago...
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,890
    viewcode said:

Taz said:

viewcode said:

It feels like a core vote strategy from Kamala recently. Is private polling showing huge Trump leads?...

Define "huge". There have been:

* rumours saying that she was behind with Blacks and Hispanics

The article I linked earlier, from a reputable source, cited Black males especially. Hence the Crypto pitch.
    Thank you. this one? https://decrypt.co/286114/kamala-harris-pro-crypto-stance-black-men
    Yes, that is the one.
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

@harris_wins

Donald Trump’s rallies are going so poorly that Kamala Harris just played a highlight reel at her rally tonight.

If his rallies are going so poorly and recent polls have Harris ahead how do we account for his 1.79 price on bf? Too short surely?
    I have a suspicion that some of the polls and betting sites are being manipulated by the Trump campaign to set up the narrative that the election was stolen.

They have the money to distort the betting and partisan polling outfits that hide their methodology, and they have the motive and ability.

I'll be about £2K down if Trump wins with a landslide. On the other hand I'm cumulatively £3.2K up on all my political betting so it's Ladbroke's et al's money I'm playing with. I'll be about £2K up if Kamala wins with a landslide.
    I'm similar but a bit more. Yet I'm not kidding when I say that if I contemplate what a Trump win would mean the potential hit to my betting P/L hardly features.

But anyway he's not winning. She is. :smile:
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,823
    edited October 15
    algarkirk said:

TOPPING said:

Andy_JS said:

"Watch: Met Police officer refuses to accept Hezbollah are terrorists

Force spokesman admits need for briefing officers after Met Police describe terror group proscribed under UK law as a matter of ‘opinion’"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/10/15/metropolitan-police-officer-refuses-hezbollah-terrorists/

I saw that clip and it is a blimmin' minefield if you are plod. They were trying as best they could to avoid talking about it at all, trying to remain neutral, and using what vocabulary and tools they were able.

A weak gotcha imo.
    Agree. Give PC Plod a break. He has to know a lot more law than our lawmaker MPs do. He has to put it into effect perfectly in the middle of a riot/affray/row while at risk of every detail beiong videoed and while in personal danger. He has to be accountable at the lawyers' expansive leisure in court 6 months later when questioned by 6 better paid KCs about instantaneous judgments in conflicted moments. And he has a duty to try to keep the peace when his critics massed on the street want to make trouble for him and each other. If he is found to lie he may lose his job. If defendants lie that's just normal and no-one cares.
    Yes, but when the job of the day is clearly going to be policing a ‘Palestine’ march, a note from the Sergeant (or even the Inspector) in the shift briefing that both Hamas and Hezbollah are proscribed terrorist organisations, and that overt public support for them is an offence under S123.45 of the Terrorism Act 19xx, might be expected in the circumstances.
    Leon said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

I think this insane Kamala Harris racist crypto bailout policy statement COULD be her “deplorables” - whereas the Columbus Day speech was bad but not dire as it was old. This is new

But yesterday you were saying the Columbus Day speech was Kamala’s deplorables moment.

*emits a wearied sigh*
    You’re going to be finding a lot of deplorables moments over the next month, aren’t you?
    It's slightly odd. His contributions on the US election are not at all what you would expect from someone who'd prefer Donald Trump to lose it.
    Well look, I'd prefer Donald Trump to lose it. But Donald Trump's failings are well known. It's sadly no longer particularly interesting to say 'look at what terrible thing Donald Trump has said now' because he can't actually appear any more unhinged than he already is. If he came onto stage and held his finger horizontally on his lips and flickered it up and down going 'bibibibibibibibi', grinned and pointed at his audience, then walked off, it would no longer particularly surprise us, would it?
    Whereas Kamala becoming more awful - like the clip from 2021 yesterday, and this tweet today - is new news.
    I don't want Trump to win. But Kamala is going to blow it by being an identity-obsessed lunatic who appears to disapprove of the concept of her country and most of the people in it. Isn't she? All she had to do was appear the reasonable centrist, but she can't, because that's not where her instincts lie, and she thinks the views of the weird identity-obsessed crowd she hangs round with are the views of the whole country. It's kind of frustrating. And worthy of comment.
    That clip wasn't part of the campaign it was from 3 years ago. Hardly new news. And this today is a targeted pitch to a voter segment (young black men) who Donald Trump has been making gains with. It's nothing more or less than you'd expect her to be doing.
    But spouting shite is not the answer. Her Tweet today was ridiculous, especially the bit about Crypto.
    Apparently not according to Kamala. She thinks they’re all gullible fools who need protecting from their bad investments, unlike other races
    To be honest, there probably is a reasonable point in there had she had the brains to make it rather than that Brainfart of a tweet.

Namely that Crypto is something that could probably do with some proper oversight and regulation. She may even roll back from that tweet and start making that point.
    kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

@harris_wins

I'm similar but a bit more. Yet I'm not kidding when I say that if I contemplate what a Trump win would mean the potential hit to my betting P/L hardly features.

As much as I want her to win because a Trump win would please Putin and embolden Nethanyahu and his economic policies would be a calamity and inflationary as well as increasing the US debt far more than hers my one comfort with him winning would be the reaction of PB's posters for Kamala on here and the grieving they would endure.
    Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

*emits a wearied sigh*
    I hardly think the idea of tighter Crypto regulation can just be dismissed as "shite".
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,344
    Barnesian said:

Cookie said:

MaxPB said:

I've been through stages one and two above. Now I'm back to stage 1.
    I know America is different. But I just can't conceive a way that this fails to turn Kamala voters into non-voters, and non-voters into Trump voters.
    And meanwhile it's so patronising to the voters it purports to target that I can't imagine it shifting the dial that much.
    I have no faith. I think she's blown it.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,993
    kinabalu said:

TimS said:

On comedians, I’m of the view that they must all be there because they are very talented. Some may be more to our taste than others but this is another case of that British cult of amateurism where we all reckon mastering a skill is easy and anyone can do it.

Standup comedy must be one of the most punishingly difficult skills to master in the whole entertainment industry.

And such a buzz if you can, I'd imagine.
    Totally. I do science talks (chillies, mainly, at chilli festivals) and throw in the odd joke. As the wife described me "like a shit less funny version of Dave Gorman". When you get the crowd going there is no better feeling. To do that to thousands must be amazing.
    kinabalu said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

MaxPB said:

You must know that if you put something like that onto twitter all of Musk's alt-right goons will amplify it.

It looks a perfectly legit tweet to me and nothing out of the ordinary. It would look weird in a British election campaign but remember American daily life is much more racially demarcated than here and this seems fairly run of the mill. Nothing on the tweet is particularly controversial.

The British equivalent would be something that listed the candidate's policies for working class people, or indeed something from a Scottish politician that listed policies that were good for Scotland.

The idea that having good policies for black men or acknowledging historical wrongs visited on native Americans means she hates her country suggests, well, a rather ethno-centric idea of what "her country" should look like.
    It’s weird how the ‘Trump knows how to reach the US clitoris in ways we uptight Brits can’t understand’ guys have an insight into how Kamala is fckng up how she connects to sections of the US electorate.
    It's a variation of the old "we need hard right policies or we'll get a hard right government" shtick.
    Or as it might be less provocatively put: if you don't compromise with the views of the electorate, don't be surprised if the electorate reject you.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 22,206

MattW said:

Now that coal is gone, rubbish incinerators are the most polluting (per kWh generated) form of electricity.

That's not because rubbish incineration is in any way damaging, it's that natural gas is so good. It's the old "suicide is the number one cause of death in men under 50" or some such thing, that's only because all the other ways men used to die no longer kills them.
    I think your comment misses that we are on a process of continuous improvement as we work towards Net zero emissions, all of which are damaging in their various ways. So what was "clean" and "efficient" 20 years ago can become the next thing to be addressed.

That applies to energy efficiency as everything becomes progressively more efficient, and similarly to emissions.

The two elephants in the room, not well addressed, remain Transport and Older Housing Stock - mainly Owner Occupied stock due to the relative sizes and numbers and age of the properties in each of the 3 main sectors, OO, Private Rental, and Social Rental.
    Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

@harris_wins

As much as I want her to win because a Trump win would please Putin and embolden Nethanyahu and his economic policies would be a calamity and inflationary as well as increasing the US debt far more than hers my one comfort with him winning would be the reaction of PB's posters for Kamala on here and the grieving they would endure.
    Oh. Well ok - whatever works for you.
    Cookie said:

Barnesian said:

Cookie said:

MaxPB said:

I've been through stages one and two above. Now I'm back to stage 1.
    I know America is different. But I just can't conceive a way that this fails to turn Kamala voters into non-voters, and non-voters into Trump voters.
    And meanwhile it's so patronising to the voters it purports to target that I can't imagine it shifting the dial that much.
    I have no faith. I think she's blown it.
    There's tons of stuff like this in the US. Generally useless positive discrimination.

College admissions for black men, to the elite institutions, are largely supported by the insanely corrupt College Totally Not Professional Sport Sports. Federal projects give special preference to companies run by veterans, the disabled, Native Americans, various other minorities. Loans to minority businesses etc etc.

American politics is very sectional and transactional - you give each of your groups, in turn, a piece from the pork barrel. And you are very public about it.

Cookie said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

mwadams said:

Have you seen Bob Monkhouse's "The Business of Comedy"? It's fascinating watching him in his "chat show/LE" persona but asking questions that he and his interviewee have clearly discussed "seriously" in the green room.

I saw him at a corporate event

His off TV show would probably be banned these days
    the clown should be banned for being teh unfunniest comedian in the country ( joint top when saddo Corden gets back ).
    I must admit, I didn't have Bob Monkhouse down as today's target for Malc's fury.
    Bob Monkhouse was a comic genius, and hailed from the old era of comedians - not the modern discursive, story telling types. His comic timing and delivery was perfect.
    Don’t know if it’s online anywhere, but ITV(?) did “An Audience With…” Monkhouse towards the end of his career.

The last part of which was a word association game that took in the names of about 50 members of the ‘celebrity’ audience, straight off the top of his head. An absolute comedy masterclass.

His last gig is definitely on Youtube, he knew it was his last gig but no-one else did, only a few months before his death.
  • DopermeanDopermean Posts: 326
    Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

*emits a wearied sigh*
    To be honest, there probably is a reasonable point in there had she had the brains to make it rather than that Brainfart of a tweet.

Namely that Crypto is something that could probably do with some proper oversight and regulation. She may even roll back from that tweet and start making that point.
    The proposal is a "regulatory framework for crypto and digital assets" so that seems to be what she is proposing.
    The targeting "Black men and others" is a bit odd from a UK perspective but perhaps that's normal for the US.
    Interesting it's spun as pro-digital assets, I suspect the last thing creators of digital "assets" want is a regulatory framework.
    Andy_JS said:

"Why Tory centrists are hopeless at leadership elections
    Conservative MPs try to second-guess the membership rather than voting with conviction.

By David Gauke"

https://www.newstatesman.com/comment/2024/10/why-tory-centrists-are-hopeless-leadership-elections

Not everybody has a NS subscription...
    https://archive.is/7wiIt

(incidentally, the Internet Archive is down, possibly permanently)
    Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

@harris_wins

Why would that give you comfort?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 69,465
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

MaxPB said:

Or as it might be less provocatively put: if you don't compromise with the views of the electorate, don't be surprised if the electorate reject you.
    But with a large slice of projecting one's own views onto the average voter. "I feel this therefore all sensible people do."
    I am in Osaka. I have just used my first Japanese wonder toilet since I was last here 30 years ago

🥰
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,870

Vice President Kamala Harris and former President Donald Trump remain neck-and-neck in Michigan, according to a new poll commissioned by AARP.

The poll shows the two candidates tied with 46 percent each on the full ballot. In a head-to-head race with the third-party candidates excluded, Trump gets 49 percent to Harris’ 48 percent.

Politico
  • FossFoss Posts: 942
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

"Why Tory centrists are hopeless at leadership elections
    Conservative MPs try to second-guess the membership rather than voting with conviction.

By David Gauke"

https://www.newstatesman.com/comment/2024/10/why-tory-centrists-are-hopeless-leadership-elections

Not everybody has a NS subscription...
    https://archive.is/7wiIt

(incidentally, the Internet Archive is down, possibly permanently)
    There's good news on that front - the core web archive is back in read-only format and the contracted crawls have restarted. Hopefully they can get the rest up soon.
    kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

TimS said:

Cookie said:

MaxPB said:

But with a large slice of projecting one's own views onto the average voter. "I feel this therefore all sensible people do."
    I don't think I'm the only person on the internet who does that :smile:
    TimS said:

On comedians, I’m of the view that they must all be there because they are very talented. Some may be more to our taste than others but this is another case of that British cult of amateurism where we all reckon mastering a skill is easy and anyone can do it.

Standup comedy must be one of the most punishingly difficult skills to master in the whole entertainment industry.

Ask yourself why there are very few famous standup comedians in their 20s.

The ones you know have all put in their 10,000 hours, mostly eight minutes at a time and paid somewhere between nothing and £50 for gig, irrespective of how they got themselves to the venue.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 69,465
    Leon said:

I am in Osaka. I have just used my first Japanese wonder toilet since I was last here 30 years ago

🥰

I trust you're visiting the Yamazaki distillery ?
    edited October 15
    Dopermean said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

*emits a wearied sigh*

The proposal is a "regulatory framework for crypto and digital assets" so that seems to be what she is proposing.
    The targeting "Black men and others" is a bit odd from a UK perspective but perhaps that's normal for the US.
    Interesting it's spun as pro-digital assets, I suspect the last thing creators of digital "assets" want is a regulatory framework.
    Even worse than “black guys are easily scammed by crypto dealers” is her assumption that black men want to become, or are already, bigtime weed-dealers so the wants to make that legal

You say this is normal for America but it’s nonsense. If a Republican put out this mad tweet - let alone Trump - the Dems would be screaming “racist stereotyping”. You know that’s true. Because it is true. This looks like racist stereotyping of a particularly infantilising and patronising kind

Kamala might have good intentions but this is utterly misconceived and a potential major gaffe
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,518
    MattW said:

MattW said:

I think your comment misses that we are on a process of continuous improvement as we work towards Net zero emissions, all of which are damaging in their various ways. So what was "clean" and "efficient" 20 years ago can become the next thing to be addressed.

That applies to energy efficiency as everything becomes progressively more efficient, and similarly to emissions.

The two elephants in the room, not well addressed, remain Transport and Older Housing Stock - mainly Owner Occupied stock due to the relative sizes and numbers and age of the properties in each of the 3 main sectors, OO, Private Rental, and Social Rental.
    There's also the issue of holes in the ground to put the rubbish (and the implicit long term risk of pollution in the water table). OK, the less rubbish means less demand, but AIUI the quarrying industry at least in the Home Counties now finds business as much for creating a hole and filling it in, as for selling the sand, aggregate, etc.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

*emits a wearied sigh*

It's really odd that Leon never focuses on the more shocking stuff that Trump comes out with.
    Yesterday he asked whether Trump is racist and lots of people provided answers as to how Trump is racist, but he never responded to any of them.
    Low IQ Leon probably struggled to comprehend the erudite responses.
    Just as long as you all keep talking about me. Which you do. Endlessly, even when I’m not here
    Have you managed to get the GPS working on your GPS watch yet?
    I’ve been on a plane for << checks smartwatch >> 17 hours

So not yet
    Where was the massive new airport with no bar, Saudi or Qatar?
    kinabalu said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

*emits a wearied sigh*
    I hardly think the idea of tighter Crypto regulation can just be dismissed as "shite".
    Neither do I, as I have said elsewhere, but she never said that on the tweet and I specifically referred to the tweet.

• Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,985
    Leon said:

It feels like a core vote strategy from Kamala recently. Is private polling showing huge Trump leads?

It's annoying that we care so much. It's a foreign country. If we're going to get our knickers in a twist about it so much, perhaps we shouldn't have handed them de facto control over our country. I'm sure they think Trump is a bit of a joke in France too, but I doubt they're having meltdowns about it.

Actually I think they are. The whole world is looking at this election
    Well I'm not. We either get the same shite (hopefully with less of a visceral hatred of the UK) with Kamala, or roll the dice with Donald, who actually likes the UK, so I don't see any disastrous option.
    Barnesian said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

@harris_wins

Because their support is borderline obsessive to the extent they will brook no criticism of her. Wilful blindness and they are emotionally invested in her.

It is a purity test here. If you dare to criticise Kamala, and she is not a great candidate, you get pulled up (as has happened to me a couple of times) for not criticising Trump in the same post.

I am pretty much where Cookie is on Kamala v Trump. Goes without saying Trump is not going to be great for the USA but Kamala's flaws should be criticised.
    Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

mwadams said:

Have you seen Bob Monkhouse's "The Business of Comedy"? It's fascinating watching him in his "chat show/LE" persona but asking questions that he and his interviewee have clearly discussed "seriously" in the green room.

I saw him at a corporate event

His off TV show would probably be banned these days
    the clown should be banned for being teh unfunniest comedian in the country ( joint top when saddo Corden gets back ).
    I must admit, I didn't have Bob Monkhouse down as today's target for Malc's fury.
    Bob Monkhouse was a comic genius, and hailed from the old era of comedians - not the modern discursive, story telling types. His comic timing and delivery was perfect.
    Don’t know if it’s online anywhere, but ITV(?) did “An Audience With…” Monkhouse towards the end of his career.

The last part of which was a word association game that took in the names of about 50 members of the ‘celebrity’ audience, straight off the top of his head. An absolute comedy masterclass.

His last gig is definitely on Youtube, he knew it was his last gig but no-one else did, only a few months before his death.
    He did a gig to younger comedians when he had his cancer as well, probably his last one, absolute masterclass too.

He was also a prolific collector of film prints who was unjustly prosecuted over his collection and the inept Police were only able to return a portion to him and some remain lost to this day.

Leon said:

It feels like a core vote strategy from Kamala recently. Is private polling showing huge Trump leads?

It's annoying that we care so much. It's a foreign country. If we're going to get our knickers in a twist about it so much, perhaps we shouldn't have handed them de facto control over our country. I'm sure they think Trump is a bit of a joke in France too, but I doubt they're having meltdowns about it.

Well I'm not. We either get the same shite (hopefully with less of a visceral hatred of the UK) with Kamala, or roll the dice with Donald, who actually likes the UK, so I don't see any disastrous option.
    I don't think Donald particularly likes the UK. I never got that impression last time. Possibly less negative towards the UK than Harris, Biden or Obama, but still negative. I don't think there's been a president with a broadly positive view of the UK since GWB.

• bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,456

Leon said:

Trump is a racist who wants to deport legal immigrants and use the military against his political opponents... and you don't see a problem there?
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,963
    Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

@harris_wins

"I want Kamala to win but if she loses I will find happiness in that other people who wanted her to win are unhappy."

ONLY ON PB.
    Dopermean said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

*emits a wearied sigh*

So do I. Alot of the appeal of digital assets is the ability to hold them away from a regulatory framework. Certainly to a section of its owners.

But when you look at stuff like the Silk Road and the various scams that go on with Bitcoin it is crying out for some regulation.

Her tweet was stupid. If she is proposal a regulatory framework that is fine and makes sense.

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

@harris_wins

"I want Kamala to win but if she loses I will find happiness in that other people who wanted her to win are unhappy."

ONLY ON PB.
    Or in football.

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

@harris_wins

ONLY ON PB.
    So do soccer fans of Man City not find enjoyment, schadenfreude I would put it, in Man Utd losing a soccer game ?

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

@harris_wins

ONLY ON PB.
    Oh come on. We all feel this in different ways

It’s politics as tribalism and anyone really into politics suffers from this. You can take solace from a dismaying result by knowing that people that irritate you are even MORE dismayed

Its a universal trait
    edited October 15
    Cookie said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

@harris_wins

ONLY ON PB.
    Or in football.
    Yes precisely. Which is why I said it’s “politics as tribalism” - or “football team support”
    edited October 15
    Taz said:

Barnesian said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

@harris_wins

Because their support is borderline obsessive to the extent they will brook no criticism of her. Wilful blindness and they are emotionally invested in her.

It is a purity test here. If you dare to criticise Kamala, and she is not a great candidate, you get pulled up (as has happened to me a couple of times) for not criticising Trump in the same post.

I am pretty much where Cookie is on Kamala v Trump. Goes without saying Trump is not going to be great for the USA but Kamala's flaws should be criticised.
    I've always vaguely supposed that people on here are so (understandably) desperate for Trump not to win that it is taboo to say that Harris is also rubbish in case it somehow persuades people not to vote for her.
    I can sort of understand this impulse in UK elections - we are all voters, after all - but I think we can safely assume our views are not being sought by the voters of Erie PA before they make up their minds. (Granted the excellent @Jim_Miller and @SeaShantyIrish2 may look in but I think it's safe to say they have already made up their minds.)
    I think we can reasonably say what we like without fear of jinxing anything.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,398
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

*emits a wearied sigh*

It's really odd that Leon never focuses on the more shocking stuff that Trump comes out with.
    Yesterday he asked whether Trump is racist and lots of people provided answers as to how Trump is racist, but he never responded to any of them.
    Just as long as you all keep talking about me. Which you do. Endlessly, even when I’m not here

So not yet
    INCHEON

Yes. I’m not kidding. Nor was I imagining it. I checked with the staff. No dedicated bar in the whole of their new terminal 2. Just an endless series of sterile Gucci and Burberry shops

A few food outlets. A couple of coffee bars. Nothing else

There was one hidden away sandwich shop on an upper floor which had a few bottles of Italian beer in the corner of the fridge. No wine no spirits no cocktails - zip

WTAF?!?!

The only explanation I can find is that they are trying to force people with long layovers to pay for lounge access so they can drink

And this is meant to be one of the best airports in the world? It made me nostalgic for Gatwick. Heck it made me nostalgic for Prestwick
    In the same part of the world, after security, Taipei Taoyuan has one small coffee shop which sells cakes and sandwiches. And lots of clothes shops. Before security, there is a whole food court. Perhaps this comes from a time when security was perfunctory.

But in a new airport? Weird. And, as you say, no use for transiting passengers.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,348
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

*emits a wearied sigh*

So not yet
    INCHEON

Yes. I’m not kidding. Nor was I imagining it. I checked with the staff. No dedicated bar in the whole of their new terminal 2. Just an endless series of sterile Gucci and Burberry shops

There was one hidden away sandwich shop on an upper floor which had a few bottles of Italian beer in the corner of the fridge. No wine no spirits no cocktails - zip

WTAF?!?!

The only explanation I can find is that they are trying to force people with long layovers to pay for lounge access so they can drink

And this is meant to be one of the best airports in the world? It made me nostalgic for Gatwick. Heck it made me nostalgic for Prestwick
    "It's SHITE being a FlintyGaz travel writer..." :lol:
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

*emits a wearied sigh*

So not yet
    INCHEON

WTAF?!?!

In the same part of the world, after security, Taipei Taoyuan has one small coffee shop which sells cakes and sandwiches. And lots of clothes shops. Before security, there is a whole food court. Perhaps this comes from a time when security was perfunctory.

But if it means that 10% of those transit passengers pay them $50 each for the lounge, which they run themselves and is the only place to get a drink in the airport if you’re not in biz class…

Leon said:

Which part of this image is your favourite?

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

*emits a wearied sigh*

So not yet
    INCHEON

WTAF?!?!

Yep. This is almost brand new

And I’ve checked on Reddit and a lot of transit passengers are unhappy about it

Seems utterly absurd to me. It’s not like Korea has an anti booze culture. Nor do they suffer from Ryanair stag parties

So this is going to crush the reputation of Incheon - the country’s major airport - as a hub and a transit

Imagine if we built a big new terminal at Heathrow but “forgot” to include a bar

Its easier to get a drink at Cairo airport
    Taz said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

@harris_wins

ONLY ON PB.
    So do soccer fans of Man City not find enjoyment, schadenfreude I would put it, in Man Utd losing a soccer game ?
    So you want Trump to win???
    Sandpit said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

*emits a wearied sigh*

So not yet
    INCHEON

WTAF?!?!

But if it means that 10% of those transit passengers pay them $50 each for the lounge, which they run themselves and is the only place to get a drink in the airport if you’re not in biz class…
    My mad guess is a bit like this. Some corruption involved. The people that own the lounges had a say in the “design” of the terminal…

But I don’t think it will work long term. People will avoid incheon as a place to transit
    edited October 15
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

Which part of this image is your favourite?

The actual video of the event, from the boat that told the interlopers where to go f… themselves.

https://x.com/johncremeansusa/status/1845968594137387325

It was an attempt by a bunch of leftists to get photos. Their boat is registered to a known leftist idiot.

https://x.com/lauraloomer/status/1846179573093859813?s=12
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,595
    Taz said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

@harris_wins

ONLY ON PB.
    They do but that is different. I want Labour to do well in Govt even though I am a LD. I would have liked the Tories to have done well in Govt even though I am a LD. I wanted Brexit to succeed even though I am a Remainer. I want Kamala to win, but if Trump wins I want America to do well. I have little hope in those outcomes, but I want them to happen

I know who I think will do best for their country, but it is madness to enjoy the suffering of yourself and others.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,456
    Cookie said:

Taz said:

Barnesian said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

@harris_wins

I've always vaguely supposed that people on here are so (understandably) desperate for Trump not to win that it is taboo to say that Harris is also rubbish in case it somehow persuades people not to vote for her.
    I can sort of understand this impulse in UK elections - we are all voters, after all - but I think we can safely assume our views are not being sought by the voters of Erie PA before they make up their minds. (Granted the excellent @Jim_Miller and @SeaShantyIrish2 may look in but I think it's safe to say they have already made up their minds.)
    Some here support Trump, but are intermittently too embarrassed to say so.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 17,088

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

*emits a wearied sigh*
    No but they have a tendency apparently to hold significant savings in crypto (about 20%)

Leaving aside the politics it does raise a legitimate regulatory question. If people are putting their savings into a vehicle which no-one should be using unless they are up to no good, and against recommendation, should regulators accept reality and try to make it a little better controlled.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,337
    Nigelb said:
    But we keep being told by PB US experts that anything Trump does or says is already priced in whereas every stumble by Kamala is a calamity that will sink her campaign.
    kjh said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

@harris_wins

ONLY ON PB.
    They do but that is different. I want Labour to do well in Govt even though I am a LD. I would have liked the Tories to have done well in Govt even though I am a LD. I wanted Brexit to succeed even though I am a Remainer. I want Kamala to win, but if Trump wins I want America to do well. I have little hope in those outcomes, but I want them to happen

I know who I think will do best for their country, but it is madness to enjoy the suffering of yourself and others.
    No we saw the exact same process in the lefty mind on the Chagos Surrender

They could see it was a mad geopolitical mistake and not good for the chagossians and just a clusterfuck for UK PLC, but they took some solace from the fact - in their minds - it annoyed ukippers and “empire loyalists” (their words) even more
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,249
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

I don't think Donald particularly likes the UK. I never got that impression last time. Possibly less negative towards the UK than Harris, Biden or Obama, but still negative. I don't think there's been a president with a broadly positive view of the UK since GWB.

From their point of view, what is there to like? We are too big to ignore but too small to be important, sycophantic enough to stay in line regardless but not really on board with any of the increasingly divided segments of US power. Just global furniture. As Finland might be to us.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 17,088
    TimS said:

Nigelb said:
    But we keep being told by PB US experts that anything Trump does or says is already priced in whereas every stumble by Kamala is a calamity that will sink her campaign.
    It is utterly stupid, but sadly those PB US experts may not be wrong.

Taz said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

@harris_wins

ONLY ON PB.
    So you want Trump to win???
    Clearly I do, as I do not think Kamala is so perfect her farts smell of roses on a summers day.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,429
    edited October 15
    Good afternoon

I needed to go to the Post Office to send a parcel

This was the main Llandudno PO, because so many others have closed and joined the queue

Just 2 cashiers on and everything was slow motion as an elderly woman saught advice on her driving licence renewal which in itself was worrying and then the cashier closed the till and disappeared

Eventually he returned, and the lady in front of me produced a bag full of coins of all denominations again taking ages to process as the queue just got longer and more impatient

I checked and I was 25 minutes waiting, and maybe for a moment in frustration I channelled our own @Anabobazina about cash as I did not have my walking stick which I would use in these circumstances

Never mind, home now for a cuppa

• SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,499
    Leon said:

Dopermean said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

*emits a wearied sigh*

Even worse than “black guys are easily scammed by crypto dealers” is her assumption that black men want to become, or are already, bigtime weed-dealers so the wants to make that legal

You say this is normal for America but it’s nonsense. If a Republican put out this mad tweet - let alone Trump - the Dems would be screaming “racist stereotyping”. You know that’s true. Because it is true. This looks like racist stereotyping of a particularly infantilising and patronising kind

Kamala might have good intentions but this is utterly misconceived and a potential major gaffe
    It looks insane. But most of American politics looks insane to me.

(I could get this - even with the slightly bizarre pledges - if it was an email or even a pledge card sent out to black supporters/possible supporters, but pinned to the top of the Twitter profile it looks very odd)
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,337
    Taz said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

@harris_wins

ONLY ON PB.
    I think this is a sentiment that is much stronger in some people than others. Presumably those people who thrive on schadenfreude assume that everyone feels the same way. But the kumbaya tendency is out there too.

Trump clearly has that sort of attitude. His idea of negotiation is win-lose, zero sum. There are plenty of others who hope for a win-win, even I suspect in the USA.

Cookie said:

Taz said:

Barnesian said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

@harris_wins

Some here support Trump, but are intermittently too embarrassed to say so.
    If you're implying Leon, it seems uncharacteristic of him to be too embarrassed to say something.

But I find this attitude exasperating. Most of us are anonymous, most of us just say what we think. I would vote Harris over Trump, but I think she's an awful candidate. The more I see of her, the less I like her. I used to think at least she was better than Hillary, but I don't think she reaches even that bar. That doesn't mean I would secretly vote Trump, it just means I'm adult enough not to see the world as one side is perfect and the other side is awful like some idiot football fan would. I'm not being aloofly above the fray; I'm not trolling. I think a Trump presidency has a reasonable likelihood of being catastrophic. But that doesn't mean I can't express despair at the awfulness of the alternative candidate.

We had this attitude on here when Boris was PM, where anyone who wasn't furious at Boris all the time was labelled a Boris fanboy.

• SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,499

Good afternoon

This was the main Llandudno PO, because so many others have closed and joined the queue

Just 2 cashiers on and everything was slow motion as an elderly woman saught advice on her driving licence renewal which in itself was worrying and then the cashier closed the till and disappeared

Eventually he returned, and the lady in front of me produced a bag full of coins of all denominations again taking ages to process as the queue just got longer and more impatient

I checked and I was 25 minutes waiting, and maybe for a moment in frustration I channelled our own @Anabobazina about cash as I did not have my walking stick which I would use in these circumstances

I've often thought main post offices need at least two people on and a clear filter with separate queues for "I need to post a parcel or collect a parcel or get some stamps" and "I'm going to take effing ages".

Before self scan checkouts supermarkets also needed divisions between the "I want to pay and get home" and the "I want to pack really slowly and have a good chat" checkouts.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,689
    TimS said:

Nigelb said:
    But that is simply learning from experience. There is a double standard.

Clinton was sunk by her emails.
    Biden stood aside after a bad debate.
    Trump lost only by a narrow margin in 2020 even after everything.

Harris does have to be almost perfect to win. Trump mostly has to avoid a stroke.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,812

Good afternoon

Broken Britain pt. XLVII.
  • TimS said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

@harris_wins

ONLY ON PB.
    I think this is a sentiment that is much stronger in some people than others. Presumably those people who thrive on schadenfreude assume that everyone feels the same way. But the kumbaya tendency is out there too.

Trump clearly has that sort of attitude. His idea of negotiation is win-lose, zero sum. There are plenty of others who hope for a win-win, even I suspect in the USA.
    I have been a Manchester United supporter since 1953 and vividly remember Munich but also being with my daughter in Barcelona when we won the European cup

However, my late father was rather unique as he cheered on United and City because they were both Manchester clubs

I think he was the exception to the rule by some distance, bless him
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,834

There Can Only Be One!
    All we need now is a seven-foot lunatic hacking away with a broadsword.

Cookie said:

Leon said:

From their point of view, what is there to like? We are too big to ignore but too small to be important, sycophantic enough to stay in line regardless but not really on board with any of the increasingly divided segments of US power. Just global furniture. As Finland might be to us.
    But I don't think anyone in UK politics is particularly ambivalent to Finland in the way that Harris, Biden, Trump and Obama have been about the UK.
    At least with Trump you can't take it personally because he's an unpredictable maniac. The other three would go out of their way to knock Britain down a peg.
    Selebian said:

Good afternoon

I've often thought main post offices need at least two people on and a clear filter with separate queues for "I need to post a parcel or collect a parcel or get some stamps" and "I'm going to take effing ages".

Before self scan checkouts supermarkets also needed divisions between the "I want to pay and get home" and the "I want to pack really slowly and have a good chat" checkouts.
    The self-scan checkouts in West Cork have a member of staff available if you want the good chat service as well.
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

@harris_wins

ONLY ON PB.

No we saw the exact same process in the lefty mind on the Chagos Surrender

They could see it was a mad geopolitical mistake and not good for the chagossians and just a clusterfuck for UK PLC, but they took some solace from the fact - in their minds - it annoyed ukippers and “empire loyalists” (their words) even more
    See also 'rub the noses of the right in diversity'.
    kjh is right that this attitude is madness though.
    Taz said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

@harris_wins

ONLY ON PB.
    Yeah but – duh! – they are on different sides, not the same side!

There Can Only Be One!
    Don't lose your head!
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

@harris_wins

ONLY ON PB.
    Or in football.
    Yes precisely. Which is why I said it’s “politics as tribalism” - or “football team support”
    Er, no.

When my football team loses I don't find happiness in the fact that other supporters of my football are unhappy. What an absolutely bizarre idea.

TimS said:

Nigelb said:

Harris does have to be almost perfect to win. Trump mostly has to avoid a stroke.
    Narrow margin?
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 6,025
    The polling continues to show Harris with big leads amongst new voters . You have to factor this into the party splits re registration . New voters are less likely to put a party down and in many swing states in particular non-affiliated have increased markedly . More and more states also auto-register voters . This adds even more uncertainty to what the actual turnout will be .
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,834

There Can Only Be One!
    Don't lose your head!
    It's better to burn out than to fade away!

Happy Halloween, Ladies!

Good afternoon

Welcome to the party, pal!

(And yes, my sympathies. The Post Office going cashless would be quite a coup though!)
  • NEW THREAD

• TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,601
    Leon said:

🥰

You must have been burstin'..
    @ProjectLincoln

Trump just cancelled another tv interview. This isn't normal and Americans deserve to know what is wrong with him.

https://x.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1846198091483173253
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,429
    edited October 15
    nico679 said:

The polling continues to show Harris with big leads amongst new voters . You have to factor this into the party splits re registration . New voters are less likely to put a party down and in many swing states in particular non-affiliated have increased markedly . More and more states also auto-register voters . This adds even more uncertainty to what the actual turnout will be .

I have absolutely no doubt Trump will lose and hardly think about the next POTUS other than as Kamala Harris

Mind you I know nothing about her policies and maybe I am mistaken, but I very much doubt it

Try to be positive and not get too down over it

TimS said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

@harris_wins

ONLY ON PB.

I have been a Manchester United supporter since 1953 and vividly remember Munich but also being with my daughter in Barcelona when we won the European cup

However, my late father was rather unique as he cheered on United and City because they were both Manchester clubs

My understanding - and I am too young to know for sure - is that this wasn't actually that uncommon in the 50s. People would favour one club or the other, but happily attend the match and support the home team of whoever was at home on any particular Saturday. And when Munich happened, the whole City mourned. Again, this is only my understanding, but I think the daft tribalism which besets football only really kicked in some time after the late 60s.

Indeed, I vaguely remember when I was small - pre-Heysel - it being generally thought of positively if British teams did well in Europe.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,353

TimS said:

Nigelb said:

I think that has been right up to this point. However, I think cumulative damage is being done to Trump on the cognitive ability front. It won’t lead to a collapse of support amongst the MAGA faithful, but I think there is a distinct chance that it will be pivotal with the ‘hold my nose’ GOP voters who currently think Trump is better than Harris on policy. If they conclude he is suffering increase dementia, they could turn a close election into an Electoral College blowout (I.e. Harris taking all the swing states, and possible FL)
  • Cookie said:

TimS said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

@harris_wins

ONLY ON PB.

My understanding - and I am too young to know for sure - is that this wasn't actually that uncommon in the 50s. People would favour one club or the other, but happily attend the match and support the home team of whoever was at home on any particular Saturday. And when Munich happened, the whole City mourned. Again, this is only my understanding, but I think the daft tribalism which besets football only really kicked in some time after the late 60s.

Indeed, I vaguely remember when I was small - pre-Heysel - it being generally thought of positively if British teams did well in Europe.
    When Munich happened the whole Country mourned as so many young and talented footballers perished and who used to go to the match on the bus and paid a pittance compared to today's millionaires

Certainly my late father was a Manchester football supporter from the 1920s though he did come more over to United post Munich

TimS said:

Nigelb said:

Narrow margin?
    The tipping point state of Wisconsin was lost by Trump by a margin of 0.63%.

That's a narrow margin.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,993
    Cookie said:

TimS said:

Taz said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

@harris_wins

ONLY ON PB.

Arguably the vast influx of foreign players into sides has taken that away. Before Heysel, when there might have been the odd overseas player amongst the English, Welsh, Scots and Irish, the clubs were British, so you could claim to be following the British side. Not so much now.

In years gone by I have watched (and vaguely supported, but not that intensely) Coventry and Norwich, when I was a resident of those fine cities. But my true passion will always be, to my lasting regret, Swindon Town FC.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,353
    nico679 said:

My own gut instinct is that the pollsters have over-corrected for the errors of the last election. There are no shy Trump voters now, and I think that if the pollsters have got the electorate wrong this time, it will be by underestimating the number of new voters, and the turnout of young women, all of whom will break heavily for Harris IMO.

Furthermore, looking at the small sample sizes of a lot of the pro-GOP pollsters (Rasmussen, Trafalgar, etc…), I think that there is a lot of poll shopping going on specifically so as to bias the RCP averages towards Trump.

My gut is that Harris wins with 300–320 EC votes. My fear remains that that is wishful thinking.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,361
    Cookie said:

Taz said:

Barnesian said:

Taz said:

kinabalu said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Scott_xP said:

@harris_wins

So is it just Jim Miller who is "excellent"? Or both me and him? Personally would agree with the former rather than latter!

As to your statement that, "I think we can safely assume our views are not being sought by the voters of Erie PA before they make up their minds" me thinks this is true in the sense you mean.

HOWEVER, am concerned that a segment of PBers has been working to turn PB into an adjunct AND amplifyer for Putinist pro-Trump propaganda. Does anyone actually know, is this board being (ab)used in thi way, for example being cited at validation by MAGA-mongers back in the USA?
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,249
    Scott_xP said:

@ProjectLincoln

Trump just cancelled another tv interview. This isn't normal and Americans deserve to know what is wrong with him.

https://x.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1846198091483173253

Might be much quicker to tell them what is right about him.

There Can Only Be One!
    True

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA4JWDm0UmM&t=48s