Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Butterfly Effect – Bush vs. Gore revisited – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,083
edited October 15 in General
imageThe Butterfly Effect – Bush vs. Gore revisited – politicalbetting.com

The year 2000 is perhaps best remembered in the UK for the Millenium Dome, the fuel protests and Y2K. For the US, it would be their first presidential election of a new millennium.

Read the full story here

Comments

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 69,446
    Morning.
    There is another difference.
    This time round, the members of legal team which represented Bush sit in the majority in the Supreme Court.

There's very little doubt indeed in whose favour they'd place their thumb on the scales.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,545
    @RonFilipkowski

I am VERY curious to see how legacy media sanewashes Trump’s performance tonight where he told people to vote on January 5 then stood on stage while music played for 30 minutes because he didn’t want to take more than a few questions from people at a Town Hall.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,601
    Scott_xP said:

@RonFilipkowski

I am VERY curious to see how legacy media sanewashes Trump’s performance tonight where he told people to vote on January 5 then stood on stage while music played for 30 minutes because he didn’t want to take more than a few questions from people at a Town Hall.

Clever politicking.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 52,026
    edited October 15
    TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

@RonFilipkowski

Clever politicking.
    Not so clever if the end of the campaign is dominated by "Has Trump really gone gaga?"

And the follow-on question: Does America want President Vance?
    Scott_xP said:

@RonFilipkowski

When I mentioned the 25th on the last thread, it met with some scepticism.
    I think its invocation more likely than not, if Trump is re-elected.

And in many respects (basic administrative competence, for example) Vance is potentially more dangerous.
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,552
    Really good threader. Thanks!
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,888

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

@RonFilipkowski

Clever politicking.
    Not so clever if the end of the campaign is dominated by "Has Trump really gone gaga?"

Has he got his underpants on his head and a pencil in each nostril.
  • SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,732
    Scott_xP said:

@RonFilipkowski

The fact seems to be that a couple of people fainted in the hall and the paramedics were attending to them. Hence, he could not continue the event until they had finished.

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:

@RonFilipkowski

Clever politicking.

Very clever if an alien spaceship lands in Milwaukee and starts giving out free slushies.
    SMukesh said:

Scott_xP said:

@RonFilipkowski

The fact seems to be that a couple of people fainted in the hall and the paramedics were attending to them. Hence, he could not continue the event until they had finished.
    He took 5 questions from the audience then danced on stage for 40 minutes
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

@RonFilipkowski

And in many respects (basic administrative competence, for example) Vance is potentially more dangerous.
    What are the terms of the bet. Your position: the 25th is invoked if Trump is re-elected. Mine: it is not.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,288
    One lesson we have not acted on is that the physical layout of ballot papers matters.
  • Scott_xP said:

@RonFilipkowski

Trump - at times - is as gaga as Biden. Last night’s car crash is a prime example. Not just the ending, go further back and see the clips of him talking about Hannibal Lecter. It’s the clips from in the crowd that make last night so special. MAGA good old boys not knowing what to do as their MAN jigs away on stage to the super gay YMCA. And then Time to Say Goodbye with Trump partially conducting the crowd’s non-singing.

Leon in particular rightly called out Biden. But not Trump for some reason…
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,779
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

@RonFilipkowski

Is there a path where Trump remains President, but it somehow ceases to matter? A sort of regency scenario where all the actual work is done by the creepy guys below Trump but nobody bothers to actually remove him from the Throne Big Chair?

Sort of early 80s Soviet Union, or decrepit Franco Spain. Trump gets the glory, others get the power, win-win.
    Scott_xP said:

SMukesh said:

Scott_xP said:

@RonFilipkowski

He took 5 questions from the audience then danced on stage for 40 minutes
    Learning from master political strategist and operator Theresa May.
    @atrupar
    Wow -- this was weird. Trump wrapped up his "town hall" in Oaks, Pennsylvania, after just a few questions, and right after he said he would take a few more questions. More music then played while Trump stood around on stage. Deeply bizarre scenes.

https://x.com/atrupar/status/1845978409257607408

Follow the thread...
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,559
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/10/14/weight-loss-jabs-get-britain-working-wes-streeting/

A miracle health intervention that has been shown to drastically improve health, which has led to the first fall in age-adjusted US obesity rates in decades. And this government decides to focus its use on the least rather than most productive members of society, while lecturing the rest not to be fat.

Lecturing doesn’t work. Our microbiomes and metabolisms have been fecked by Monsanto, Caryle, Tate & Lyle and the rest. If the US can get 1/8 Americans on Ozempik than so should we.

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

@RonFilipkowski

Is there a path where Trump remains President, but it somehow ceases to matter? A sort of regency scenario where all the actual work is done by the creepy guys below Trump but nobody bothers to actually remove him from the Throne Big Chair?

Sort of early 80s Soviet Union, or decrepit Franco Spain. Trump gets the glory, others get the power, win-win.
    I'm pretty sure that some form of that scenario (Trump figurehead, others doing the work) is what is motivating/reassuring many would be Republican voters.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 48,072
    moonshine said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/10/14/weight-loss-jabs-get-britain-working-wes-streeting/

A miracle health intervention that has been shown to drastically improve health, which has led to the first fall in age-adjusted US obesity rates in decades. And this government decides to focus its use on the least rather than most productive members of society, while lecturing the rest not to be fat.

Lecturing doesn’t work. Our microbiomes and metabolisms have been fecked by Monsanto, Caryle, Tate & Lyle and the rest. If the US can get 1/8 Americans on Ozempik than so should we.

It's not restricted to the unemployed though.

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

@RonFilipkowski

It's conceivable.
    But it would, I guess, depend on how tractable a semi-gaga Trump might be.
    edited October 15
    moonshine said:

From the news reports this morning I would be interested to see the process whereby after giving free Ozempic to the the obese unemployed, they are then monitored for the required change of lifestyle. Or maybe it would be a leaflet reminding them to have their five a day.

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

@RonFilipkowski

Listen to the string of whistleblowers to US Congress over the last 18mths who have been saying this is exactly the state of US democracy. It’s a puzzle why everyone pretends it’s not being said by some of the most senior politicians in America.
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

@RonFilipkowski

It's conceivable.
    So do we have a bet.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,452
    edited October 15
  • One lesson we have not acted on is that the physical layout of ballot papers matters.

Yes, hence why the "establishment" parties in Holyrood (Con, Lab, LD, SNP) consented to the changes in 2007 which led to record numbers of spoilt ballots, in an attempt to forestall the prior success of the "2nd vote Green" campaign in 2003.
    Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

@RonFilipkowski

One suspects Vance was chosen by the moneymen with an eye to Trump's laziness and even the 78-year-old's mortality.
    TOPPING said:

moonshine said:

From the news reports this morning I would be interested to see the process whereby after giving free Ozempic to the the obese unemployed, they are then monitored for the required change of lifestyle. Or maybe it would be a leaflet reminding them to have their five a day.
    No such thing.
    Employment status will not be part of the prescription decisions.
    edited October 15
    duplicate
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

@RonFilipkowski

It's conceivable.
    So do we have a bet.
    No offence, but I'm more interested in waiting to see if Betfair puts up a next President market - in the event of Trump's election.
    In the meantime, the election is what I'm betting on.

I've made the prediction; make of it what you will.
    Ex-Google CEO tells Keir Starmer what business wants (five minutes; Express clip)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X2vU1sULDQ
    Whoever is elected next month, this health question will also be consequential.

Jim Justice is almost certainly WV's next senator. If he shows up to work is another question.

Sources say Justice is chronically absent. Some are concerned for his health + doubt he’ll regularly show up to votes

That'll matter in the Senate. A lot

https://x.com/UrsulaPerano/status/1845495283439816865
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,399
    Scott_xP said:

@atrupar
    Wow -- this was weird. Trump wrapped up his "town hall" in Oaks, Pennsylvania, after just a few questions, and right after he said he would take a few more questions. More music then played while Trump stood around on stage. Deeply bizarre scenes.

Follow the thread...

You can pretty much discount any story about how mad or bad Trump is.

It's all priced in and will have no bearing on his vote.
    edited October 15
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

@RonFilipkowski

It's conceivable.
    So do we have a bet.
    No offence, but I'm more interested in waiting to see if Betfair puts up a next President market - in the event of Trump's election.

No problem - we all use meaningless hyperbole in our PB posts without expecting to be called on it.

You genuinely don't think the 25th will be invoked but I appreciate it was thrilling for you to write that it might be.
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

moonshine said:

No such thing.
    So just quite ridiculous political messaging then.

Scott_xP said:

@atrupar

Follow the thread...

Same with Boris. Hopeless layabout bumbling schtick all priced in. And he won.
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

moonshine said:

No such thing.
    Streeting is pushing it as being a method of getting people back into employment. Other than that yes absolutely, employment status is wholly irrelevant.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 48,072
    moonshine said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

moonshine said:

No such thing.
    Not really. Addressing chronic illnesses associated with obesity is a key way to get people off disability benefits.

Incidentally good economic news today on employment.

BBC News - Slowing wage growth raises hopes of rate cut
    https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/ce3w7dqn454o
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 8,112
    edited October 15
    Foxy said:

moonshine said:

Ozempic sounds great but I think perhaps taxing the kind of crap that leads to people getting obese might remain a important part of the solution? Perhaps more sport and active travel?

Given current rates of childhood obesity, we will end up medicating millions of children at massive cost just to help them resist the addictive poison food manufacturers put in their products.

NHS spending will just continue to grow, especially if Ozempic has long term health implications or the other effects of crap food is not mitigated by it. A typical case of privatise the profits, nationalise the costs.
    edited October 15
    Foxy said:

moonshine said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

moonshine said:

No such thing.
    Not really. Addressing chronic illnesses associated with obesity is a key way to get people off disability benefits.

Incidentally good economic news today on employment.

BBC News - Slowing wage growth raises hopes of rate cut
    https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/ce3w7dqn454o
    On Today it (giving Ozempic to fat unemployed people) was reported as specifically being aimed at getting people back to work and would be accompanied by some kind of lifestyle change advice/requirement/who knows.

If it was this it sounds sensible, if a bit nanny state-ish, and hence my question as to how the lifestyle change mandate would work.

If not, then yes indeed it is ridiculous political messaging.
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

moonshine said:

No such thing.
    Streeting is pushing it as being a method of getting people back into employment. Other than that yes absolutely, employment status is wholly irrelevant.
    Comprehension problem there.

Its potential impact on employment is, of course, a factor in deciding whether or not the NHS provides it.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,146
    Excellent header and great reminder of history. Remarkable how close US elections often are.

Not sure I can entirely agree with the praise of Al Gore for not contesting. That kind of thing works if there's a half decent chance the other side might do it too. Even in 2000, the republicans were the party of Cheney, Rumsfeld et al... I worry Gore might have encouraged the anti democratic tendencies we see in todays republican party.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,595
    Excellent article. Thank you @GarethoftheVale2
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

moonshine said:

No such thing.

Its potential impact on employment is, of course, a factor in deciding whether or not the NHS provides it.
    Quick. Tell the Ridiculous Political Messaging Department.

BBC News headline: "Jobless could get weight loss jabs to return to work"
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,552

Scott_xP said:

@atrupar

Follow the thread...

While normally I'd agree, I'm not totally sure; this election is about turning out your marginal supporters, and he does seem considerably less able as the weeks go by. Might it not have an impact on the trad "Republican all down the ticket" voters who are not actively MAGA? Maybe some of them stay at home on November 5th?

And what about all the MAGA Republicans who turn up on January 5th only to discover that the election already happened?
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

moonshine said:

No such thing.

I didn't realise you were such a political naif.
    RR missed out here.
    Might earlier government funding have made a difference ?

Google is ordering multiple SMR's from Kairos Power, and in doing so has become the first tech company to commission *new* nuclear reactors for its datacenters. Kairos will 'develop, construct, and operate a series of advanced reactor plants' and then sell the power to Google.
    https://x.com/AndrewCurran_/status/1845921113941180662

The Kairos molten salt reactor is an interesting new technology (the concept has been around for some time).
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

moonshine said:

No such thing.

It is what the Labour Party is telling the world. Let me repeat the headline:

"Jobless could get weight loss jabs to return to work".

If employment status is irrelevant, which I can well believe it would be, then this headline is Ridiculous Political Messaging. But @Foxy says no, it's a great idea. Which suggests that it has substance. Which would mean that employment status would be relevant.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,598
    Nigelb said:

Whoever is elected next month, this health question will also be consequential.

Jim Justice is almost certainly WV's next senator. If he shows up to work is another question.

Sources say Justice is chronically absent. Some are concerned for his health + doubt he’ll regularly show up to votes

That'll matter in the Senate. A lot

https://x.com/UrsulaPerano/status/1845495283439816865

Justice chronically absent would certainly be a fitting mot juste for 4 more years of Trump.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,865
    mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

@atrupar

Follow the thread...

While normally I'd agree, I'm not totally sure; this election is about turning out your marginal supporters, and he does seem considerably less able as the weeks go by. Might it not have an impact on the trad "Republican all down the ticket" voters who are not actively MAGA? Maybe some of them stay at home on November 5th?

And what about all the MAGA Republicans who turn up on January 5th only to discover that the election already happened?
    I've seen other reports that he halted because there were two medical emergencies in the crowd.

Probably cult members overwhelmed by the emotion of seeing the anointed one.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,797
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

moonshine said:

No such thing.

Quite apart from anything else - someone who has put on so much weight as to be unable to work, will surely have damaged their bodies in many other ways. I would imagine it very unlikely that they will spring from their mobility scooters and run a half marathon to the job centre. X years of physio and rehabilitation sounds more likely.

I would suspect that the jabs would have more effect on reducing such cases in the early stages. So not so much the people who have been housebound for a decade as the people heading that direction.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,399
    mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

@atrupar

Follow the thread...

I'm not sure I'm seeing the evidence of less ability and, to the extent that exists, that's largely confirmation bias. Harris has gone somewhat off the boil too.

I agree it now all comes down to turnout, unless either of the two candidates self-destruct.
    @NickKnudsenUS

Watch Donald Trump ATTEMPT to answer this question about helping small businesses.

It’s WILD. 😳

Putting this man in charge of our nation is an even WORSE idea than it was in 2016 or 2020.

Watch.

https://x.com/NickKnudsenUS/status/1845993371908886880
    Eabhal said:

Foxy said:

moonshine said:

Ozempic sounds great but I think perhaps taxing the kind of crap that leads to people getting obese might remain a important part of the solution? Perhaps more sport and active travel?

Given current rates of childhood obesity, we will end up medicating millions of children at massive cost just to help them resist the addictive poison food manufacturers put in their products.

NHS spending will just continue to grow, especially if Ozempic has long term health implications or the other effects of crap food is not mitigated by it. A typical case of privatise the profits, nationalise the costs.
    Indeed.

Once again - I would like to see a Vitality style trial. Tangible incentives for exercise and health stats. A few free cinema tickets and even the Office I Never Exercise guy was taking the dog for extra walks…

mwadams said:

Scott_xP said:

@atrupar

Follow the thread...

I've seen other reports that he halted because there were two medical emergencies in the crowd.

Probably cult members overwhelmed by the emotion of seeing the anointed one.
    If he halted for medical emergencies in the crowd, then that is actually normal behaviour. It has become the standard among stage shows to do this.

Unlike this scumbag - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroworld_Festival_crowd_crush
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,421
    Trumps looking like if he has a mo. If you want to throw a hand grenade into the system he’s your man. All the crazy crazy is cat nip to the burn it all down brigade. Harris has her work cut out transcending this.
    edited October 15
    Foxy said:

Eabhal said:

Foxy said:

moonshine said:

Childhood obesity rates in the UK are still too high but are dropping so it seems current programmes are working.

https://www.rcpch.ac.uk/news-events/news/rcpch-responds-latest-childhood-obesity-figures-england-202223#:~:text=The prevalence of obesity in,higher than pre-pandemic levels.
    Or the statistics are rubbish. It is odd that no ethnic differences are reported, for instance, given variations in body type and diet.

ETA we should also note an increase in those reported as underweight.
  • edited October 15
    Millennium not Millenium, 1000 Years from Annus, not 1000 Arseholes from Anus
  • MattWMattW Posts: 22,191
    Foxy said:

Eabhal said:

Foxy said:

moonshine said:

Childhood obesity rates in the UK are still too high but are dropping so it seems current programmes are working.

https://www.rcpch.ac.uk/news-events/news/rcpch-responds-latest-childhood-obesity-figures-england-202223#:~:text=The prevalence of obesity in,higher than pre-pandemic levels.
    That's a really interesting thing to see. I had not spotted that one.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,072
    Excellent piece, thank you Gareth.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 8,112
    edited October 15

Foxy said:

Eabhal said:

Foxy said:

moonshine said:

Or the statistics are rubbish. It is odd that no ethnic differences are reported, for instance, given variations in body type and diet.

ETA we should also note an increase in those reported as underweight.
    Especially when underreporting of obesity can feed into official stats: https://www.nesta.org.uk/blog/a-third-of-adults-in-wales-live-with-obesity-according-to-new-analysis/

The cynic in me suggests the recent drop in obesity might be due to the cost of living crisis - poorer people are twice as likely to be overweight.
    Scott_xP said:

@NickKnudsenUS

Watch Donald Trump ATTEMPT to answer this question about helping small businesses.

It’s WILD. 😳

Putting this man in charge of our nation is an even WORSE idea than it was in 2016 or 2020.

Watch.

Trump's reply is not wild though. It is a reasonable response, admittedly to a quite different question, and there are a couple of jokes in there including a good one about Melania (who has written a book).

And this shows the problem with much of the commentary on TwiX and from the United States generally. Much of it is so partisan as to be useless at best, if not actively misleading.
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

moonshine said:

No such thing.

If employment status is irrelevant, which I can well believe it would be, then this headline is Ridiculous Political Messaging. But @Foxy says no, it's a great idea. Which suggests that it has substance. Which would mean that employment status would be relevant.
    "to" does not mean "in exchange for a".
    You don't like the headline, and clearly haven't fully absorbed the story beneath it.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cjd54zd0ezjo

The distinction between an individual prescription decision, and the general decision to provide a treatment on the NHS is entirely clear.

The announcement, if you haven't yet worked it out, concerns a trial period of prescribing the medication, partly funded by the manufacturer:
    ..The plans announced at the summit will include real-world trials of weight-loss jabs’ impact on worklessness, the Telegraph reported.
    A study by Health Innovation Manchester and Lilly will examine whether being put on the drugs will reduce worklessness and the impact on NHS service use, and will take place in Greater Manchester...

You don't have to be out of employment to be in the trial - but the progress of those who are will be included in the analysis of the trial results.

The Lilly investment goes beyond the trial itself.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/news/landmark-collaboration-with-largest-pharmaceutical-company
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

@RonFilipkowski

It's conceivable.
    So do we have a bet.

No problem - we all use meaningless hyperbole in our PB posts without expecting to be called on it.

You genuinely don't think the 25th will be invoked but I appreciate it was thrilling for you to write that it might be.
    I NEVER, EVER use meaningless hyperbole :smile: .
  • Jim_the_LurkerJim_the_Lurker Posts: 157
    edited October 15
    Great header - I think the concept of “losers consent” doesn’t perhaps get the consideration it should.

To some extent the Hilary Clinton campaign and Democrat party did the opposite to Gore. The lesson they took from Bush / Gore was not that the honourable thing to do is to concede and go and do something worthy / or make a pretty dull film (delete according to your prejudices). But instead that the Republicans will keep fighting until the end. Bush was/may have been the loser but simply didn’t consent to it - he brazened it out until Gore folded.

So in 2016 Democratic Party cast aspirations about the legitimacy of the Trump election and didn’t stop after the inauguration. Some of the chat about Russia inevitably was about that (although it remains my view that Trump is and was Putin’s preference and make of that what you will). The Democrats (or some of them) didn’t consent to the result. They couldn’t believe Trump could have won legitimately so there must have been something afoot.

Trump in 2020 and everything since then was simply an upping the ante. Almost “you think you Democrats can go low, just a look at the depths I can reach.” What that means for 2024 who can tell. In a country divided with no side giving an inch and a real risk of neither loser conceding gracefully, where do you go next? In an ideal world one side should get such a thumping any questioning of the result can be seen for what it really is being a sore loser. But it isn’t shaping up like that.

Democracy without loser’s consent, on all sides, is a dangerous place to be.
    Labour's first great slogan since gaining power:

"Jabs for jobs".

Up there with Brown's "Gulags for slags".

Scott_xP said:

@NickKnudsenUS

It’s WILD. 😳

Watch.

Trump's reply is not wild though. It is a reasonable response, admittedly to a quite different question, and there are a couple of jokes in there including a good one about Melania (who has written a book).

And this shows the problem with much of the commentary on TwiX and from the United States generally. Much of it is so partisan as to be useless at best, if not actively misleading.
    What does it matter anymore? Trump could stand on the stage and just swing and sway for two hours without speaking and then take a huge dump, step around in it for a bit and walk off and still close to 50% of Americans would want him president.

Only a few thousand indie voters can save the US now.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,580
    Eabhal said:

Foxy said:

moonshine said:

The joys of capitalism, profit from creating the problem, profit from solving it. And get taxpayers to contribute too. Trebles all round!
    It's not just crap food though, it's also car-induced inactivity.
    Scott_xP said:

@NickKnudsenUS

It’s WILD. 😳

Watch.

Not QUITE pants on head/pencils up nostrils.

But he ain't far off.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,334
    MattW said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Scott_xP said:

@RonFilipkowski

It's conceivable.
    So do we have a bet.

I NEVER, EVER use meaningless hyperbole :smile: .
    Well, my hyperbole is entirely meaningful (flounces out, slams door)
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,580

Great header - I think the concept of “losers consent” doesn’t perhaps get the consideration it should.

To some extent the Hilary Clinton campaign and Democrat party did the opposite to Gore. The lesson they took from Bush / Gore was not that the honourable thing to do is to concede and go and do something worthy / or make a pretty dull film (delete according to your prejudices). But instead that the Republicans will keep fighting until the end. Bush was/may have been the loser but simply didn’t consent to it - he brazened it out until Gore folded.

So in 2016 Democratic Party cast aspirations about the legitimacy of the Trump election and didn’t stop after the inauguration. Some of the chat about Russia inevitably was about that (although it remains my view that Trump is and was Putin’s preference and make of that what you will). The Democrats (or some of them) didn’t consent to the result. They couldn’t believe Trump could have won legitimately so there must have been something afoot.

Trump in 2020 and everything since then was simply an upping the ante. Almost “you think you Democrats can go low, just a look at the depths I can reach.” What that means for 2024 who can tell. In a country divided with no side giving an inch and a real risk of neither loser conceding gracefully, where do you go next? In an ideal world one side should get such a thumping any questioning of the result can be seen for what it really is being a sore loser. But it isn’t shaping up like that.

There is a great song in Hamilton about George Washington and possibly his greatest contribution to American democracy, his peaceful transfer of power to his successor John Adams. Trump is no Washington, that much is clear.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,072

What do you think Bush should have done in 2000? Proposed a full rerun of the election in Florida? In the whole of the US?
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,309
    We know after 2020 that Donald Trump is unlikely to take defeat lying down.

It may well be in Trump's interest to quickly and publicly accept defeat - in return for a presidential pardon for his various crimes.
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

moonshine said:

No such thing.

You don't like the headline, and clearly haven't fully absorbed the story beneath it.

The distinction between an individual prescription decision, and the general decision to provide a treatment on the NHS is entirely clear.

The announcement, if you haven't yet worked it out, concerns a trial period of prescribing the medication, partly funded by the manufacturer:
    ..The plans announced at the summit will include real-world trials of weight-loss jabs’ impact on worklessness, the Telegraph reported.
    A study by Health Innovation Manchester and Lilly will examine whether being put on the drugs will reduce worklessness and the impact on NHS service use, and will take place in Greater Manchester...

You don't have to be out of employment to be in the trial - but the progress of those who are will be included in the analysis of the trial results.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/landmark-collaboration-with-largest-pharmaceutical-company
    Yeah that's a lot of protesting.

Thing is, most people who aren't desperately trying to prove a point on the internet will look at the headline and think Lab wants to give fat unemployed people free Ozempic.

Ridiculous Political Messaging.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,309
    while other states allow late arrival, if they are postmarked on election day

If the USA wanted to do one thing to improve its election counting then banning late arriving votes might be top of the list.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,829
    On topic, it's not really true that "every state (and sometimes within states, every county) is essentially allowed to organise the federal election as it sees fit". There are several federal laws, and no fewer than four amendments to the US constitution, that regulate how states can organise elections. For example, and probably fairly uncontroversially, the Voting Accessibility Act of 1984 required polling places to be accessible to people with disabilities. And, much more contested, four Civil Rights Acts try to prevent discrimination in voting.

There's also a federal quango or two that interferes. For example, the U.S. Election Assistance Commission helps states comply with the federal Help America Vote Act and adopt minimum standards on voter education, registration, and ballots.

So it's basically a classic American mess, like so much else the product of trying to patch an 18th century constitution to meet the very different concerns of the 21st. States do the work within minimum federal standards, subject to federal scrutiny. Similar to education, highways, law enforcement and much else.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 6,023

The Dem casting of doubt on the 2016 result was tiny in comparison to Trumps attempts which were then taken up by a large section of the GOP. It’s clear that Vance would do Trumps bidding and would not balk at trying to steal the election .
    Julian Sanchez
    @normative.bsky.social‬

There’s an old story I’ve thought about often in the Trump Era. Two farmers are observing that after days of torrential rain, the river is close to overflowing its banks. “Do you think it will keep on like this much longer?” one asks nervously. “No, it’s sure to stop tomorrow,” the other replies.

‪Julian Sanchez‬ ‪@normative.bsky.social‬

“How can you be so certain?” the first farmer asks. “It certainly doesn’t look like it’s letting up.”
    “It HAS to stop,” replies his friend reasonably, “because if it didn’t the river would overflow.”

I think something like this is hugely distorting our politics. America is the land of freedom and democracy; we don’t elect despots. So if a major party candidate with coin-flip odds of winning SOUNDS like he’s promising despotism… well that can’t be right. It must be a joke or something.

https://bsky.app/profile/normative.bsky.social/post/3l6i6uta7lc2i

while other states allow late arrival, if they are postmarked on election day

If the USA wanted to do one thing to improve its election counting then banning late arriving votes might be top of the list.

So the US Postal Service should determine who wins the election with a well-timed strike, or coincidental breakdown of sorting machines, or new rotas?
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,963

Eabhal said:

Foxy said:

moonshine said:

Indeed.

Once again - I would like to see a Vitality style trial. Tangible incentives for exercise and health stats. A few free cinema tickets and even the Office I Never Exercise guy was taking the dog for extra walks…
    We still feed our children far too much shit in this country and too few learn to cook. Witness the ridiculous “sorry but my child can’t eat food” mums who insist their offspring are somehow incapable of consuming fresh fish, meat or vegetables. Make school lunches compulsory, and high quality, but have just one option on the menu, plus a vegetarian version. Ban all snacks. Take food out of the hands of fussy parents who pass their neuroses on to their children.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,870
    edited October 15

We know after 2020 that Donald Trump is unlikely to take defeat lying down.

It may well be in Trump's interest to quickly and publicly accept defeat - in return for a presidential pardon for his various crimes.

But Biden/Harris cannot pardon Trump for his various state crimes.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,598
    The stupid hair lying grifter alliance grows.
    Tbf to Milei I don’t know if he’s a grifter.

• I am glad to hear he didn’t suffer.

Alex Salmond died while opening a bottle of ketchup, an eyewitness has claimed.

The former first minister of Scotland collapsed and died aged 69 on Saturday, shortly after delivering a speech at a conference in North Macedonia.

Mark Donfried, the director of the Academy for Cultural Diplomacy, said attendees were having lunch at the meeting in the historic lakeside city of Ohrid when Mr Salmond died.

“He came together with Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh, also from the Alba Party in Scotland, and they were eating,” he told Times Radio.

“Later on, Tasmina told me she was having trouble opening the ketchup and she reached over and said: ‘Hey, can you give me a hand?’ And he was helping her with that when literally he fell back in his chair, totally out of the blue, without warning.

“Next to him was the former chief executive of the stock exchange of Cyprus, and he basically took him in his arms. He was convinced, he told me later, that immediately he was unconscious. So we don’t think Alex actually suffered any pain, thank God. He felt his heart and he couldn’t feel the heart rate then.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/10/14/alex-salmond-died-while-opening-bottle-of-ketchup/
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 6,023
    There has been a change in Michigan as to when early votes can be tabulated so this means the result there will come in much more quickly than in previous elections .

Michigan is also for the first time allowing in person early voting after voters approved a constitutional amendment in 2022.
    Okay I've read the header and it's great thanks @Gareth.

I suppose an analogy could, vaguely, be the introduction of VAR. At some point you have to draw a line and allow the inefficiencies of the prevailing system to run otherwise it becomes impractical. Four regions were requested for a recount (and apparently wouldn't have affected the result), whereas the whole state would have changed hands.

I don't disagree that there are inefficiencies in the US voting system, not that I am aware of the details and I suppose given that it is the world's only superpower (just about) and it happens every four years, maybe VAR should be introduced for every throw in and corner.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,506
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

moonshine said:

No such thing.

Thing is, most people who aren't desperately trying to prove a point on the internet will look at the headline and think Lab wants to give fat unemployed people free Ozempic.

I'm sure there will be no conspiracy theories about the government pumping people full of drugs in order to put them to work.

Eabhal said:

Foxy said:

moonshine said:

Indeed.

We still feed our children far too much shit in this country and too few learn to cook. Witness the ridiculous “sorry but my child can’t eat food” mums who insist their offspring are somehow incapable of consuming fresh fish, meat or vegetables. Make school lunches compulsory, and high quality, but have just one option on the menu, plus a vegetarian version. Ban all snacks. Take food out of the hands of fussy parents who pass their neuroses on to their children.
    Better yet if you have a moment could you knock up a set of guidelines to let people how they should live and bring up their children.

It would likely save the NHS billions and also avoid all that absurd fuss that people seem to make about individual choices and whatnot.
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

moonshine said:

No such thing.

Which was exactly how it was presented on the politics slot on GMB this morning.

I think it's generally recognised that Gore made a fatal mistake in not requesting a statewide recount. And given that, was right to concede.

As far as Clinton is concerned, it's important to note that she conceded the election, and did not contest it.
    Her ongoing objection was to the alleged illegalities around Trump's campaign. Even had he been successfully impeached, there would still have been a Republican president. No Democrat argued otherwise.
    TOPPING said:

Eabhal said:

Foxy said:

moonshine said:

Indeed.

Better yet if you have a moment could you knock up a set of guidelines to let people how they should live and bring up their children.

It would likely save the NHS billions and also avoid all that absurd fuss that people seem to make about individual choices and whatnot.
    What a great idea. We should be here to serve the NHS, not the other way round.

Perhaps we could nationalise Hello Fresh and Gousto and use them to deliver to each family what we think they should have over a week to maintain a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle and ban Deliveroo and Uber Eats.

Could work.
    Taz said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

moonshine said:

No such thing.

Which was exactly how it was presented on the politics slot on GMB this morning.
    Yep and on R4 Today.
  • tlg86 said:

What do you think Bush should have done in 2000? Proposed a full rerun of the election in Florida? In the whole of the US?
    I don’t think that is the point I am making.

More that I seem to recall there was a group of Democrats who think Gore erred in conceding. They think he should have, somehow, dug his heals in to make sure all the votes were all counted.

As the header shows there is reason to suspect Gore could have taken the state. The Republicans stood strong. They had no interest in letting the recount finish because of the risk of Bush’s lead being overturned. They brazened it out and made it clear they wouldn’t back down. Gore blanched, and perhaps in the interests of the country, conceded.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,586
    Mr. Eagles, a swift end without suffering is better than most of the alternatives.

Eabhal said:

Foxy said:

moonshine said:

Indeed.

That I think can work, but it assumes the state gets it right. It probably will, but may not - so some fuzziness at the edges is required.

An example might be particular allergies, or special diets which schools cannot meet - our system will address needs, but often not until there is wider evidence.

An example is that since at least the 1990s moderate or low-carb diets have been used to control blood sugar levels in diabetes; the mechanism is that blood glucose levels are proportion to carbohydrate intake (subject to possible variation around other factors, such as time of day).

But the "Healthy Diet" has not acknowledged this, and it has taken decades for the system to get on board with this; the mechanism for *that* is that specialists, researchers or enthusiasts notice what works for their patients, and then it soaks into the system through trials, small clinics, conferences, and then becomes the standard when evidenced at scale, then goes back the other way as 'approved' - subject to checks and balances.

That's just how it works sociologically, so there need to be grey edges and loopholes.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,143

I am glad to hear he didn’t suffer.

Alex Salmond died while opening a bottle of ketchup, an eyewitness has claimed.

The former first minister of Scotland collapsed and died aged 69 on Saturday, shortly after delivering a speech at a conference in North Macedonia.

Mark Donfried, the director of the Academy for Cultural Diplomacy, said attendees were having lunch at the meeting in the historic lakeside city of Ohrid when Mr Salmond died.

“He came together with Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh, also from the Alba Party in Scotland, and they were eating,” he told Times Radio.

“Later on, Tasmina told me she was having trouble opening the ketchup and she reached over and said: ‘Hey, can you give me a hand?’ And he was helping her with that when literally he fell back in his chair, totally out of the blue, without warning.

“Next to him was the former chief executive of the stock exchange of Cyprus, and he basically took him in his arms. He was convinced, he told me later, that immediately he was unconscious. So we don’t think Alex actually suffered any pain, thank God. He felt his heart and he couldn’t feel the heart rate then.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/10/14/alex-salmond-died-while-opening-bottle-of-ketchup/

Good way to go; no pain, no lingering. Hard on the relatives, and those around though.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,570
    nico679 said:

There has been a change in Michigan as to when early votes can be tabulated so this means the result there will come in much more quickly than in previous elections .

Michigan is also for the first time allowing in person early voting after voters approved a constitutional amendment in 2022.

Could be a good early pointer. It's more of a must win for Harris than Trump I think though.