Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Spread betting on the White House race – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,820
    Elon Musk predicting a wonderful human future from his own inventions is the epitome of the Mandy Rice-Davies defence.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,898

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Reeves has left this budget far too long. The last chancellor that left it as long as Reeves is doing (When a complete change of Gov't takes place) was Barber.

2010 GE 6 May, budget 22 June
    1997 GE May 2, budget 2 July
    1979 GE May 3, budget 12 June
    1974 GEs Feb & October, budgets March, July & November !
    1970 GE June, budget March 1971

Well parliament was sin recess for 2-3 months immediately after the election. She could hardly do it in the summer, or in conference season.

To a great degree, she was bound by the election date.

(And she'll now be happy that she waited – because she gets to do it against a backdrop of growth in the economy)
    The growth rate has slowed from a 2.5% annualised rate before the election to a 1% annualised rate today, the consensus is that Labour are directly responsible for the slowdown with the overly negative rhetoric. It's not a very happy backdrop of growth, more a technical one.
    'the consensus'... hmm. I suspect Rachel will be happy with the technicality of... the economy actually returning to growth, rather than chit-chat.
    Returning after she killed it off, despite inheriting a growth rate of 2.5%, you don't like to hear it but she's useless and so is Starmer. By the end of this 5 years you will have the same buyer's remorse as @Leon, he's just got the cojones to admit it now, you're just in a constant state of denial about how badly everything is going.
    It's bizarre that you are writing her off before she has even published her Budget. Give her a chance for crying out loud.
    How disingenuous of PB posters to claim Labour has inherited a grown rate of 2.5%. Hasn't there also been a downgrading of growth since Labour came to power for May and June?

This golden legacy guff is utter nonsense. It was also widely accepted that Sunak went early because the economic KPIs were predicted to trend South.

Now Labour's start has been painfully slow and there is not much to write home about yet, but claiming the "golden legacy" has been blown in 100 days, when Reeves hasn't done ANYTHING of note yet is just an enormous pair of hairy bollocks.

PB Tories may be able to come back in a year or two and gloat, but bellyaching about policy that hasn't yet been announced is ludicrous.

She certainly didn’t inherit a “golden economic legacy” that is indeed bollocks. But it is also true she has made a bad situation WORSE by spooking everyone
    So much so that the economy has er, returned to growth under her watch. You proved last night (as if there was much lingering doubt) that mathematics isn't your strong point. I suggest you similarly steer clear of economics. Your holiday reviews are good. Stick to that.
    lol. You are SO prickly and defensive
    edited 11:30AM
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Productivity is about to explode, worldwide

Will it make the average person in western countries better off?
    Elon Musk (for it is he that makes these incredible robots) said last night “there’s an 80% chance of a utopian outcome” - or words to that effect. ie global superabundance. A robot worker for everyone. All boring tasks automated

Let’s not think about the 20% downside risk. Not pleasant

However, it will be quite a change and painful in some ways. Many millions of jobs are about to disappear
    So what is the utopian outcome? That the robot does all my ironing and manages to put the duvet cover on the duvet without the cat getting in there? This strikes me as a relatively small upside, even if it is 80% likely, for a downside of robots which wipe out humanity.
    And call me a flinty old northern class warrior, but I don't really like the idea of having a slave, even a robot one. I still blanche at the concept of using Siri or any of its brethren. I'm not even 100% comfortable about interacting with waiters.
    Do you feel awkward demanding your toaster make toast?
  • MattWMattW Posts: 22,106
    Dopermean said:

MattW said:

Ministers to consider scrapping short jail terms
    https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cvgx01wyprzo

I find it interesting again that Timpson is basically invisible from this.

It refers to less than 6 month sentences.

One aspect of that is what happens to drivers (of whatever vehicles) who kill or seriously injure. They tend to receive sentences less than, that, often suspended, and jail is one of very few serious deterrents.

Will it also mean no suspended sentences less than 6 months?
    Could be easily solved by increasing their sentences, that would at least keep them off the road for a bit before some of them are driving despite being disqualified.
    It's going to need careful thought.

Another alternative at the lower end could be tags and curfews, or heavier sentences but suspended for longer than the current 2 years which would give a heavy incentive to better long-term behaviour which would have a major benefit for public safety.

In Ireland aiui they can suspend a sentence for a decade or more.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Reeves has left this budget far too long. The last chancellor that left it as long as Reeves is doing (When a complete change of Gov't takes place) was Barber.

Well parliament was sin recess for 2-3 months immediately after the election. She could hardly do it in the summer, or in conference season.

(And she'll now be happy that she waited – because she gets to do it against a backdrop of growth in the economy)
    The growth rate has slowed from a 2.5% annualised rate before the election to a 1% annualised rate today, the consensus is that Labour are directly responsible for the slowdown with the overly negative rhetoric. It's not a very happy backdrop of growth, more a technical one.
    'the consensus'... hmm. I suspect Rachel will be happy with the technicality of... the economy actually returning to growth, rather than chit-chat.
    Returning after she killed it off, despite inheriting a growth rate of 2.5%, you don't like to hear it but she's useless and so is Starmer. By the end of this 5 years you will have the same buyer's remorse as @Leon, he's just got the cojones to admit it now, you're just in a constant state of denial about how badly everything is going.
    It's bizarre that you are writing her off before she has even published her Budget. Give her a chance for crying out loud.
    How disingenuous of PB posters to claim Labour has inherited a grown rate of 2.5%. Hasn't there also been a downgrading of growth since Labour came to power for May and June?

This golden legacy guff is utter nonsense. It was also widely accepted that Sunak went early because the economic KPIs were predicted to trend South.

Now Labour's start has been painfully slow and there is not much to write home about yet, but claiming the "golden legacy" has been blown in 100 days, when Reeves hasn't done ANYTHING of note yet is just an enormous pair of hairy bollocks.

PB Tories may be able to come back in a year or two and gloat, but bellyaching about policy that hasn't yet been announced is ludicrous.

She certainly didn’t inherit a “golden economic legacy” that is indeed bollocks. But it is also true she has made a bad situation WORSE by spooking everyone
    So much so that the economy has er, returned to growth under her watch. You proved last night (as if there was much lingering doubt) that mathematics isn't your strong point. I suggest you similarly steer clear of economics. Your holiday reviews are good. Stick to that.
    I'll take no lectures from The Subsampler General, the perma-drunk innumerate who thinks the British Crime Survey is a list of reported crimes.

LOL indeed!
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,263
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Elon Musk (for it is he that makes these incredible robots) said last night “there’s an 80% chance of a utopian outcome” - or words to that effect. ie global superabundance. A robot worker for everyone. All boring tasks automated

However, it will be quite a change and painful in some ways. Many millions of jobs are about to disappear
    So what is the utopian outcome? That the robot does all my ironing and manages to put the duvet cover on the duvet without the cat getting in there? This strikes me as a relatively small upside, even if it is 80% likely, for a downside of robots which wipe out humanity.
    And call me a flinty old northern class warrior, but I don't really like the idea of having a slave, even a robot one. I still blanche at the concept of using Siri or any of its brethren. I'm not even 100% comfortable about interacting with waiters.
    Do you feel awkward demanding your toaster to make toast?
    Inevitably... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRq_SAuQDec
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,140
    Pulpstar said:

rkrkrk said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

To do so for carbon capture, which is literally of negative economic benefit in terms of what it delivers, is plain insanity.

Who on earth has managed to get in the Gov'ts ear about carbon capture ? Even the eco-left likes of Monbiot and Dale Vince think it's a non starter, along with everyone else.
    The petrochemical industry.
    I don't know much about this area, but it is notable to me that it's not just industry that wants this. The Committee on Climate Change are supportive of carbon capture, the IPCC also etc. Ed Miliband might be wrong, but I find it hard to believe he is captured by industry.
    CoCC lead by Emma Pinchbeck: She's obviously intelligent (Oxford Classics) & concerned about climate change but doesn't have a science background.
    I mean she's the manager yes. But the committee itself has plenty of scientists on it.

Elon Musk predicting a wonderful human future from his own inventions is the epitome of the Mandy Rice-Davies defence.

The Chinese are briskly making robots almost as good as Musk’s (maybe better in some ways). And they are doing it with an eye on the market - making these things cheap enough that the average person will be able to buy one. Maybe under £10k

Remember we will happily spend £20-30k on a car

This is the best comparison for the advent of true humanoid robots able to do most human tasks - it is like the advent of the motor car. Which transformed human life
    edited 11:30AM

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

I'll take no lectures from The Subsampler General, the perma-drunk innumerate who thinks the British Crime Survey is a list of reported crimes.

LOL indeed!
    The next five years will be painful for you as you struggle - with increasing anguish - to defend this abject, stupid, venal and cowardly government

lol. Indeed.
    Strange story of the day. Anyone need a peg leg?

Everest climber's foot believed to be found after 100 years

A foot believed to belong to a British climber who went missing 100 years ago has been found on Mount Everest, in a discovery that may solve one of mountaineering's biggest mysteries.

Andrew Comyn "Sandy" Irvine had attempted to climb Everest in June 1924 with his partner when the pair vanished. While his partner's remains were eventually retrieved, Irvine's body was never discovered.

But last month a team of climbers filming a National Geographic documentary stumbled on the foot, revealed by melting ice on a glacier.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cy0g2p47xd5o
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,989

Nick Clegg is back to complaining about the EU:

https://x.com/nickclegg/status/1844415308812939668

We’re expanding Meta AI to more countries, including Brazil and the UK. Unfortunately, we still can't roll it out in the EU because of the regulatory uncertainty we face there. I hope the new Commission looks afresh at these issues, consistent with President Von Der Leyen’s aim of completing the EU’s digital Single Market, so Europeans can benefit from this new wave of technologies.

I don't use Meta much, but do not want them scraping my posts over the years as fuel for their AI, so they can target me better for manipulation and advertising.

Indeed it is a further reason to avoid Social Media, if any further reason was needed.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

LOL indeed!
    The next five years will be painful for you as you struggle - with increasing anguish - to defend this abject, stupid, venal and cowardly government

lol. Indeed.
    Laughable deflection – again!

(By the way, I kind of agree with you about robots. I'd quite like a home help bot to put the bins out)
  • StereodogStereodog Posts: 593
    Leon said:

The Chinese are briskly making robots almost as good as Musk’s (maybe better in some ways). And they are doing it with an eye on the market - making these things cheap enough that the average person will be able to buy one. Maybe under £10k

This is the best comparison for the advent of true humanoid robots able to do most human tasks - it is like the advent of the motor car. Which transformed human life
    I've been trying to think what use I'd put a personal robot to and I've come to the conclusion that it would be bloody irritating in my flat. I wouldn't trust it to do the cooking as it doesn't have any taste buds. I wouldn't let it take the rubbish out as someone might nick it. It could do the dusting but then I'd have to put up with a lumbering humanoid in my small space (my husband is bad enough). It's worth remembering that not all innovative technology ends up becoming ubiquitous. Robots could be the new smartphones or they could end up being the new 3D TVs, too much of a faff for the benefits they give.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,815
    Sandpit said:

We’re expanding Meta AI to more countries, including Brazil and the UK. Unfortunately, we still can't roll it out in the EU because of the regulatory uncertainty we face there. I hope the new Commission looks afresh at these issues, consistent with President Von Der Leyen’s aim of completing the EU’s digital Single Market, so Europeans can benefit from this new wave of technologies.

Some of us may have said at the time, that the biggest benefit of leaving the EU was not having to go along with whatever was their next mad idea.
    Yes. Our government is more than capable of producing enough mad ideas on its own.

Same applies for everyday incompetence of course.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,712
    MattW said:

A foot believed to belong to a British climber who went missing 100 years ago has been found on Mount Everest, in a discovery that may solve one of mountaineering's biggest mysteries.

Andrew Comyn "Sandy" Irvine had attempted to climb Everest in June 1924 with his partner when the pair vanished. While his partner's remains were eventually retrieved, Irvine's body was never discovered.

But last month a team of climbers filming a National Geographic documentary stumbled on the foot, revealed by melting ice on a glacier.

The stat is still that 10% of Everest climbers don’t make it back. There’s now hundreds of bodies on the last leg of the climb, which everyone has to pass on the way up and back down, too high to up to safely recover.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,654
    Leon said:

I was unable to use Advanced Voice Mode in Switzerland this week. Needed to reboot and go via a glitchy VPN

Soon as I landed in the UK - fine

This Brexit benefit is real
    FFS. Get an education. Switzerland is, as of earlier today at least, NOT in the EU.
    edited 11:44AM

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

LOL indeed!

lol. Indeed.

(By the way, I kind of agree with you about robots. I'd quite like a home help bot to put the bins out)
    I’d - honestly - like your opinion on this

Here is Optimus dancing.

https://x.com/itskimjava/status/1844605971416359026?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

Here is Optimus chatting as he serves a drink

https://x.com/optimusai_token/status/1844596378309198152?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

There’s a big argument on Reddit and TwiX as to how real this is. As in: how autonomous these robots are. There seems to be some element of tele-operation - a human somewhere is probably helping - “telling” the robot how to respond. But no one knows to what extent and others are claiming it’s entirely autonomous (this seems unlikely)

What do you think?

Either way the fact robotics has advanced with such explosive speed -truly exponential - is stunning. These will surely be consumer products this decade. A robot in your house doing chores
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,085
    Leon said:

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqCCubrky00
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,261
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Do you feel awkward demanding your toaster to make toast?
    Inevitably... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRq_SAuQDec
    Best thing about that clip: Lister's pronunciation of 'croissant' as 'crassont'. I'd always found the French pronunciation terribly unsatisfactory. I will adopt Lister's version in future.
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

No, but I would if I had to talk to it.
    Simply depressing the lever is fine. Pressing a few buttons is fine. But anything involving voice activation starts to feel a little like I am a colonial planation owner demanding things of my underlings.
    Stereodog said:

Leon said:

I've been trying to think what use I'd put a personal robot to and I've come to the conclusion that it would be bloody irritating in my flat. I wouldn't trust it to do the cooking as it doesn't have any taste buds. I wouldn't let it take the rubbish out as someone might nick it. It could do the dusting but then I'd have to put up with a lumbering humanoid in my small space (my husband is bad enough). It's worth remembering that not all innovative technology ends up becoming ubiquitous. Robots could be the new smartphones or they could end up being the new 3D TVs, too much of a faff for the benefits they give.
    Er, as with vehicles they won’t all come in one size. For smaller houses you’d have smaller robots

I also have a small flat. So I guess my robot will be child sized. Quite creepy to think about but we will all want one as they will be so useful
    Sandpit said:

LOL EU biometric border system delayed again, this time indefinitely.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/10/11/eu-fingerprint-checks-delayed-indefinitely/

So it's rather like our post Brexit import controls and inspections, indefinitely suspended?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,502
    Have you tried asking Alexa that?
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,889
    rkrkrk said:

Pulpstar said:

rkrkrk said:

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

To do so for carbon capture, which is literally of negative economic benefit in terms of what it delivers, is plain insanity.

Who on earth has managed to get in the Gov'ts ear about carbon capture ? Even the eco-left likes of Monbiot and Dale Vince think it's a non starter, along with everyone else.
    The petrochemical industry.
    I don't know much about this area, but it is notable to me that it's not just industry that wants this. The Committee on Climate Change are supportive of carbon capture, the IPCC also etc. Ed Miliband might be wrong, but I find it hard to believe he is captured by industry.
    CoCC lead by Emma Pinchbeck: She's obviously intelligent (Oxford Classics) & concerned about climate change but doesn't have a science background.
    I mean she's the manager yes. But the committee itself has plenty of scientists on it.
    Carbon capture:

One means to generate dispatchable, low carbon electricity
    One means to produce low carbon hydrogen
    The only way to decarbonise cement and lime production
    A way to get net-negative emissions from Energy from Waste plants, where around half the CO2 is biogenic (which can then offset emissions from other sectors such as aviation)

That's why £22bn has been allocated. As a first tranche.

Leon said:

I was unable to use Advanced Voice Mode in Switzerland this week. Needed to reboot and go via a glitchy VPN

FFS. Get an education. Switzerland is, as of earlier today at least, NOT in the EU.
    But the reason Switzerland is also excluded from AVM is because it is regarded as under the aegis of EU law when it comes to this technology. You twat
    edited 11:51AM
    Interestingly mixed reply from the Transport Minister to a PQ on cycling for children. Pokes the dead Tory bear, and broadens it to include 'drivers'. We await detail.

Wera Hobhouse
    “Road safety is one of the main reasons why young people do not cycle. This is particularly true for cities like Bath where historic infrastructure makes it very difficult. What will the government do to help young cyclists particularly to make it safer, and make roads safer in Bath?”

Louise Haigh
    “I’m grateful to her for raising that point and it sits at the heart of our ambition to develop the new road safety strategy.”

“The previous government pursued poisonous culture wars against road users of all descriptions. We are determined to take back streets for pedestrians, cyclists, and drivers. And that will be at the heart of our new ambition for the road safety strategy.”

Video: https://x.com/Wera_Hobhouse/status/1844325754236014812
    Considering that the only full months figures for GDP are for growth of 0.2% in August, the only full month of Starmer /Reeves, it is surely a bit early to call a collapse in the economy.

Not that I would credit Labour, as I suspect it was a bit of bounceback from the economy sapping crap weather of early summer.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

But the reason Switzerland is also excluded from AVM is because it is regarded as under the aegis of EU law when it comes to this technology. You twat
    Please don't smack down my superior intellect compared to your own with factual evidence.
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Simply depressing the lever is fine. Pressing a few buttons is fine. But anything involving voice activation starts to feel a little like I am a colonial planation owner demanding things of my underlings.
    I know what you mean but we will soon get used to it, I suspect

It must have felt equally odd for the first people using telephones. Indeed I have read that it did. You are talking into a machine yet a recognisable disembodied human voice responds even though they are not present - that’s deeply strange when you consider it. Yet it didn’t stop us adopting telephones with extreme eagerness
    Leon said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Er, as with vehicles they won’t all come in one size. For smaller houses you’d have smaller robots

I also have a small flat. So I guess my robot will be child sized. Quite creepy to think about but we will all want one as they will be so useful
    Genuine question but what do you envisage it doing for you other than walking around looking cool?

I ask this because it's obvious that one of the major technical challenges is getting robots to walk properly and use their hands. Most of the tasks that I'd want to automate (like my personal emails) would be better served by a very sophisticated AI built into a computer rather than a robot. Even that bar tending clip you posted is only cool in a Dr Johnson's dog kind of way. You'd be much better having an AI driven dispenser connected to a load of different drinks that could mix stuff when asked
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,085
    Scott_xP said:

Have you tried asking Alexa that?
    She blushed.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 69,270
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

There is a middle ground, likelier at least in the shorter term, of course.
    Where 90% of such robots are owned by 0.1% of the population.
    Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Genuine question but what do you envisage it doing for you other than walking around looking cool?

I ask this because it's obvious that one of the major technical challenges is getting robots to walk properly and use their hands. Most of the tasks that I'd want to automate (like my personal emails) would be better served by a very sophisticated AI built into a computer rather than a robot. Even that bar tending clip you posted is only cool in a Dr Johnson's dog kind of way. You'd be much better having an AI driven dispenser connected to a load of different drinks that could mix stuff when asked
    You’re wrong. Look at the dexterity they now have in robot hands

https://x.com/sawyermerritt/status/1844638183449104493?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

Doing chores

https://x.com/teslaconomics/status/1844612862876291210?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

It’s still glitchy and clunky and it’s not obvious how much - in that second clip - is truly autonomous. Nonetheless it is amazing they can do this and that robotics has advanced at such tremendous speed (this is pure capitalism - the Chinese are right behind and competition is fierce)

Again I make the comparison with the motor car. I imagine the very first consumer motor cars were pretty desperate things. But it didn’t take long for them to improve dramatically. And robotics is advancing much faster than motor vehicle tech back then
    edited 12:00PM
    Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

As was the case with cars

But the real money was in making cars for the masses. The model T Ford. There will be a model T Ford of house-bots
    Foxy said:

I don't use Meta much, but do not want them scraping my posts over the years as fuel for their AI, so they can target me better for manipulation and advertising.

Indeed it is a further reason to avoid Social Media, if any further reason was needed.
    The counter argument to that is, if all sensible people do as you do, AIs will be trained on the ravings of lunatics.
    Would you prefer that ?
    Leon said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

https://x.com/sawyermerritt/status/1844638183449104493?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

Doing chores

https://x.com/teslaconomics/status/1844612862876291210?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

It’s still glitchy and clunky and it’s not obvious how much - in that second clip - is truly autonomous. Nonetheless it is amazing they can do this and that robotics has advanced at such tremendous speed (this is pure capitalism - the Chinese are right behind and competition is fierce)

Again I make the comparison with the motor car. I imagine the very first consumer motor cars were pretty desperate things. But it didn’t take long for them to improve dramatically. And robotics is advancing much faster than motor vehicle tech back then
    Yes I'm not disputing that the technology is amazing but what do you imagine a personal house robot doing for you personally?

I always wanted one of those aibo robot dog things but I was under no illusion that it would be useful so I never bought one.

At the moment I feel like the technology needed to get a robot to walk and use it's hands is so involved that unless there is a very specific use for it then most people and organisations will make use of AI enabled devices instead. For example it would be ridiculous over engineering to have a robot in a call centre physically picking up a phone. You'd just automate it using AI.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,178
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

The counter argument to that is, if all sensible people do as you do, AIs will be trained on the ravings of lunatics.
    Would you prefer that ?
    AI is already trained on the ravings of lunatics, as anyone still left on X ought to realise.
  • FossFoss Posts: 937
    edited 12:06PM
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

If it's sub-sentient then it's not a slave.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,632
    edited 12:08PM
    Gang smuggled £200m of cocaine in banana boxes
    https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c9dyevplgz2o

Albanian speaking gang, I bet multiples of that money has been through the car washes and "Turkish" barbers.
    edited 12:09PM
    Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Doing chores

Yes I'm not disputing that the technology is amazing but what do you imagine a personal house robot doing for you personally?

I always wanted one of those aibo robot dog things but I was under no illusion that it would be useful so I never bought one.

At the moment I feel like the technology needed to get a robot to walk and use it's hands is so involved that unless there is a very specific use for it then most people and organisations will make use of AI enabled devices instead. For example it would be ridiculous over engineering to have a robot in a call centre physically picking up a phone. You'd just automate it using AI.
    Yes I agree with most of that

However I disagree on the usefulness of a small humanoid robot doing all the chores. I live alone and have a busy life. It would be amazing if there was a tireless child sized robot doing all the boring stuff

Cleaning and ironing and washing and fixing and binning and Putting stuff away. And doing it 24/7. And living under my bed or in the wardrobe. It could do things while I am away. Maybe take care of
    repairs

That would be brilliant. I wouldn’t have to pay a cleaner and it would be far superior to a cleaner

I will totally pay Elon £20k if he can make one of those
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,986
    MattW said:

Interestingly mixed reply from the Transport Minister to a PQ on cycling for children. Pokes the dead Tory bear, and broadens it to include 'drivers'. We await detail.

Wera Hobhouse
    “Road safety is one of the main reasons why young people do not cycle. This is particularly true for cities like Bath where historic infrastructure makes it very difficult. What will the government do to help young cyclists particularly to make it safer, and make roads safer in Bath?”

Louise Haigh
    “I’m grateful to her for raising that point and it sits at the heart of our ambition to develop the new road safety strategy.”

“The previous government pursued poisonous culture wars against road users of all descriptions. We are determined to take back streets for pedestrians, cyclists, and drivers. And that will be at the heart of our new ambition for the road safety strategy.”

Video: https://x.com/Wera_Hobhouse/status/1844325754236014812

That's not a "mixed reply". That's a veritable cart of horse shit.

Pedestrians aren't safe from bikes or cars.

Bikes aren't safe from cars.

Cars aren't safe from politicians.
    Have to share this.

Odd, funny, sweet, mad.
    BBC footage of some bloke who sets up radio station in 1974 Stevenage to broadcast exclusively to…his wife.

https://x.com/bbcarchive/status/1844664238666834127?s=46&t=L9g_woCIqbo1MTuBFCK0xg
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,621
    Packing and unloading the dishwasher is something a household robot could do.
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

But the real money was in making cars for the masses. The model T Ford. There will be a model T Ford of house-bots
    Assuming anyone still earning to be able to pay for them.
    I'm wondering about a more dystopian type of capitalism, with no - or at least vastly reduced - requirement for labour.
    Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

I'd rather write my own e-mails and have a bog and bath cleaning bot than the other way around.

Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Would you prefer that ?
    AI is already trained on the ravings of lunatics, as anyone still left on X ought to realise.
    And yet, it could be still worse.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,553
    Leon said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Doing chores

Yes I agree with most of that

However I disagree on the usefulness of a small humanoid robot doing all the chores. I live alone and have a busy life. It would be amazing if there was a tireless child sized robot doing all the boring stuff

Cleaning and ironing and washing and fixing and binning and Putting stuff away. And doing it 24/7. And living under my bed or in the wardrobe. It could do things while I am away. Maybe take care of
    repairs

That would be brilliant. I wouldn’t have to pay a cleaner and it would be far superior to a cleaner

I will totally pay Elon £20k if he can make one of those
    If he can make one that welds well we might be interested.

Have to share this.

Odd, funny, sweet, mad.
    BBC footage of some bloke who sets up radio station in 1974 Stevenage to broadcast exclusively to…his wife.

https://x.com/bbcarchive/status/1844664238666834127?s=46&t=L9g_woCIqbo1MTuBFCK0xg

Called Caroline ?
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,384
    MattW said:

Hopefully they will find the camera that will prove Mallory was first to summit Everest.
    Andy_JS said:

The latest fashion in the US is to have two dishwashers, so that you take dishes out of one as you need them, and by the time you need it for dirty dishes it’s almost empty.
    edited 12:15PM
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Assuming anyone still earning to be able to pay for them.
    I'm wondering about a more dystopian type of capitalism, with no - or at least vastly reduced - requirement for labour.
    It provokes a trillion questions. eg Why on earth are we importing millions of migrants “to do the work” when in fact all the work will be done by robots? Even - especially - nursing and social care?

It’s like importing millions of people to look after horses and carry sedan chairs in about 1895. It’s insane
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,975
    The WSJ has some new swing state polling out today .

Somewhat bizarre results .

Harris up two points in Arizona , Georgia and Michigan .

Tied in North Carolina and Wisconsin .

Down 1 point in Pennsylvania and down 6 in Nevada !

I can’t see how she can be ahead in Arizona and down that much in Nevada .
    Elon certainly knows how to get the internet Leon hyped....
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

The latest fashion in the US is to have two dishwashers, so that you take dishes out of one as you need them, and by the time you need it for dirty dishes it’s almost empty.
    Most UK household kitchens are too small for dual dishwashers though. I'd have thought Musk would want to try and get decent welding robots with his Mars plans and all. Apparently the current lot don't cut it according to our foreman.
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

We're going down that route. At present, there is never not a queue of dirty crockery waiting for the next available dishwashing cycle. I reckon on average I do three loads a day.
    I still intend to put the clean stuff away afterwards though!
  • theakestheakes Posts: 918
    Must not forget Lib Dem Gain from Conservative at Ealing plus their big swings from Labour at Sothampton, which they won, and Preston. Green gain from Labour at Leeds pretty useful.

I’m hardly alone here. These vids have been watched by tens of millions in a few hours

The revolutionary potential of truly effective humanoid robotics is obvious. It renders much of our socio-political discourse otiose

So many problems will be solved by this. But new problems will arise
    edited 12:28PM
    Leon said:

I’m hardly alone here. These vids have been watched by tens of millions in a few hours

The revolutionary potential of truly effective humanoid robotics is obvious. It renders much of our socio-political discourse otiose

I don't mean to be funny, but they aren't better than what Boston Dynamics have shown for years.

They moved very slowly, waves their arms around and one poured a drink from a static position that was carefully arranged....and I have seen people at the event say it had a human assistant.
    Leon said:

How many of those views are bots watching bots in order to inflate viewer numbers and Musks ego?
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Had two dishwashers for 12years now. Makes life so much easier, especially when you have people for dinner. You aren't still fannying about with washing up in the morning then.
  • kenObikenObi Posts: 113

Albanian speaking gang, I bet multiples of that money has been through the car washes and "Turkish" barbers.

So pay rent, business rates, electricity, wages, PAYE & NI etc to launder drug money ?

Seems an expensive way of doing it.

Why not just stick it in a suitcase and take to Dubai ?

https://www.nationalcrimeagency.gov.uk/news/cash-couriers-who-smuggled-millions-in-suitcases-are-sentenced.

Or just take it back to Albania

https://www.nationalcrimeagency.gov.uk/news/four-arrested-on-suspicion-of-smuggling-money-from-uk-to-albania

They had a proposal last year, that any foreign citizen or Albanian can deposit up to €2 million in non-declared money into the Albanian banking system while enjoying legal immunity and a 5-10% tax
    Why is the robot the same size and dimension as a human?

That seems pretty impractical to me.
    You probably want something like a cross between a cat and a Swiss Army knife.

Economy growing.

Leading the polls by 5pts despite doing unpopular (but necessary) stuff.

Parliamentary majority of 158.

Sir Keir should enjoy his Friday night dinner.

A mile wide, and an inch deep - that ice is cracking...
    Great to see the economy returning to growth under Rachel!
    That majority is a bit lower than when he started the 100 day march into government.
    Big question whether he survives 100 March days...
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,495
    edited 12:29PM

A new barber has appeared not far from me in an old takeaway joint. Been there a couple of months.

It looks like a barbers, there's someone there playing with a phone, but I'm yet to see a customer.

Bad business decision or money laundering? Your guess is as good as the fraud squad's.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,641
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Someone in I know in the energy industry was at drinks last night and he seems wholly unimpressed with the GB Energy scheme. He said it looks and sounds like a rehash of PFI with projects being build by the private sector and then purchased over 30-50 year periods by the state. What is it with Labour and PFI, they absolutely torched the finances last time with huge current spending required to fund all of these schemes and they just don't seem to have learned any lessons from it.

Some of us have been saying this for ages. The whole sovereign growth fund is just massive centralises PFI, it isn't as some might think from the name Norway or Saudi style wealth fund.
    Hasn’t pretty much every country with serious O&G revenues not ring-fenced the taxes, except for the UK and US?
    Another legacy of Mrs. T.
    As I keep reminding PB, many of our long term policy mistakes, and more intractable problems, have their genesis in the 1980s.
    Given it's been a pretty clear bi-partisan failure it would be nice to think that we could come up with a bipartisan solution.

I'm sure there'd still be dispute on the details, and other things not central to the fix, but is there a common core we could agree on that would put Britain on a better trajectory for the next few decades?
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,047
    Taz said:

So Sue Gray will be missing from todays Regional Conference because she is "taking a break".

Understandable I guess given her unceremonious dumping last week but it begs the question will she actually end up doing the role ?

£167K a year free money ( assuming no extra bung for silence) for doing nothing, will sit in a fancy office and toddle round the country now and again when it suits , nice number if you can get it.
    edited 12:30PM
    kenObi said:

So pay rent, business rates, electricity, wages, PAYE & NI etc to launder drug money ?

https://www.nationalcrimeagency.gov.uk/news/cash-couriers-who-smuggled-millions-in-suitcases-are-sentenced.

https://www.nationalcrimeagency.gov.uk/news/four-arrested-on-suspicion-of-smuggling-money-from-uk-to-albania

They had a proposal last year, that any foreign citizen or Albanian can deposit up to €2 million in non-declared money into the Albanian banking system while enjoying legal immunity and a 5-10% tax
    Because although its expensive to put cash in the till of a car wash or barber, the UK authorities have shown little to no willingness or ability to investigate and once its through the till its all legit money here in the UK. Its basically risk free way of doing it.
    Foss said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

No, it's an entirely personal complaint. I recognise the problem is with me.
    Have you tried copilot lately? It now tries to keep the conversation going and I feel very rude cutting it off.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,433

I will believe we are even getting past the starting post in the war on drugs the day such seizures have an impact on the street price. I have never seen any evidence that they do.

Budget beckons

Thoughts and prayers for you.

First full month of Reeves & Starmer and GDP is up.
    Thoughts and prayers for you too.

Youll get hammered on tax
    This where my bank/tax advisers/accountants earn their money with their tax minimisation strategies.
    Nice word for Dick Turpin tactics.
    malcolmg said:

Taz said:

So Sue Gray will be missing from todays Regional Conference because she is "taking a break".

Understandable I guess given her unceremonious dumping last week but it begs the question will she actually end up doing the role ?

£167K a year free money ( assuming no extra bung for silence) for doing nothing, will sit in a fancy office and toddle round the country now and again when it suits , nice number if you can get it.
    Don't forget the inevitable generous payout she'll no doubt of had on top.
    edited 12:33PM

A new barber has appeared not far from me in an old takeaway joint. Been there a couple of months.

It looks like a barbers, there's someone there playing with a phone, but I'm yet to see a customer.

Bad business decision or money laundering? Your guess is as good as the fraud squad's.
    Its an absolute joke. Everybody knows these places, its all in plain sight, we can all name at least one in our local area. The barbers, nail bars, the Eastern European shops with no stock, the American Candy Stores (those are Iranian / Iraqi I believe).

Taz said:

Congratulations @JohnO

Yup.

First Tory gain from the Lib Dems since the election IIRC.

Clearly it was our lunch last week wot won it.
    Perhaps you should have lunched with James Cleverley instead
    I have been offered dinner with Bobby J.
    Do you have a mickey mouse sweatshirt you could wear?
    No, but this is the current watch face on my Apple Watch.

You dont often see Keir Starmer on a watch. Did you get it from the Labour shop ?
    More like poundland
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,724

Don't cats have enough pointy bits as it is?
    edited 12:33PM

Leon said:

I don't mean to be funny, but they aren't better than what Boston Dynamics have shown for years.

They moved very slowly, waves their arms around and one poured a drink from a static position that was carefully arranged....and I have seen people at the event say it had a human assistant.
    Boston Dynamics are amazing. And yet Musk is overtaking them by developing robots that don’t do weird gymnastics or leap over tables - they pour drinks and slice fruit and stack dishwashers - ie they actually look highly useful

I’m guessing some human assistance is involved. But the fact that a robot can stand there in front of you and talk to you and make a drink IS incredible

As Musk said last night the revolutionary nature of the demo is in the proximity. He didn’t present videos or unveil inert gadgets - for once the robots weren’t only visible on a screen or otherwise walled off. They were THERE: he let these robots walk (yes, slowly, but walk) amongst crowds of people and people could interact with them and chat and play games
    edited 12:37PM

Because the world is designed for humans, so a robot-like-Gardenwalker can use all the same tools and appliances as Gardenwalker, without needing two of everything. It can feed your cat with your tin opener and Kitecat, and can sharpen a pencil with your Swiss Army knife, and sharpen your Swiss army knife with your own sharpening stone. The same applies to things like your robot catching a bus or driving a car to get @Leon and his robot-showgirl sex object back from the Groucho.

There's a lot in old Sci-Fi on that question.
    Aiming to get TSE onside ?

Harris says she supports Hamilton but can’t watch F1 while running for president
    https://www.racefans.net/2024/10/09/racefans-round-up-09-10-7/
    MattW said:

Because the world is designed for humans, so a robot-like-Gardenwalker can use all the same tools and appliances as Gardenwalker, without needing two of everything.

Its a little bit like we would never design self-driving cars the way they are being designed if we didn't have millions of human drivers on the road.

kenObi said:

Because although its expensive to put cash in the till of a car wash or barber, the UK authorities have shown little to no willingness or ability to investigate and once its through the till its all legit money here in the UK. Its basically risk free way of doing it.
    Walter White and his car wash…
    Cookie said:

Foss said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Have you tried copilot lately? It now tries to keep the conversation going and I feel very rude cutting it off.
    In all honesty, I've not. That's something I'd prefer to turn down before it ends up like Talkie-Toaster.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

LOL indeed!

lol. Indeed.

I’d - honestly - like your opinion on this

Here is Optimus dancing.

https://x.com/itskimjava/status/1844605971416359026?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

Here is Optimus chatting as he serves a drink

https://x.com/optimusai_token/status/1844596378309198152?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

There’s a big argument on Reddit and TwiX as to how real this is. As in: how autonomous these robots are. There seems to be some element of tele-operation - a human somewhere is probably helping - “telling” the robot how to respond. But no one knows to what extent and others are claiming it’s entirely autonomous (this seems unlikely)

What do you think?

Either way the fact robotics has advanced with such explosive speed -truly exponential - is stunning. These will surely be consumer products this decade. A robot in your house doing chores
    Well, on the first one. He's a shit dancer. I can think of many more people I'd rather large it with, such as Angela Rayner. I'm not sure what value an inert machine incapable of feeling or getting smashed adds to a party. So Rayner 1, Tesla 0 here.

The second one looks good, but it reminds me of the ads for Big Trak back in the 1980s. It looks cool but it's easy to program something to do this stuff when you have a studio and endless takes. In reality, he probably drops the groceries on the kid's board game and spills the martinis all over the guests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaZsfUX6U9s
    Nigelb said:

Aiming to get TSE onside ?

Harris says she supports Hamilton but can’t watch F1 while running for president
    https://www.racefans.net/2024/10/09/racefans-round-up-09-10-7/

Well there’s a race in Texas in a fortnight, maybe she should get herself there?

Trump has been to loads of NASCAR and Indycar races this year, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see him in Austin.
    malcolmg said:

Taz said:

You're looking at the wrong end of the telescope Malcolm. Paying Sue Gray £167k not to do anything is value. It prevents further damage.
    edited 12:40PM
    Blow to No 10's investment summit as port giant pulls £1bn announcement over P&O row

The government's Investment Summit has suffered a major blow after ports and logistics giant DP World pulled a scheduled announcement of a £1bn investment in its London Gateway container port, following criticism by members of Sir Keir Starmer's cabinet.

Sky News understands the Dubai-based company's investment was due to be a centrepiece of Monday's event, which is intended to showcase Britain's appeal to investors and will be attended by the prime minister and Chancellor Rachel Reeves.

DP World's investment in the port is now under review however, following criticism by Transport Secretary Louise Haigh and Deputy Prime Minister Angela Rayner of its subsidiary P&O Ferries.

https://news.sky.com/story/blow-to-no-10s-investment-summit-as-port-giant-pulls-1bn-announcement-over-pando-row-13231876
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,898
    MaxPB said:

Someone in I know in the energy industry was at drinks last night and he seems wholly unimpressed with the GB Energy scheme. He said it looks and sounds like a rehash of PFI with projects being build by the private sector and then purchased over 30-50 year periods by the state. What is it with Labour and PFI, they absolutely torched the finances last time with huge current spending required to fund all of these schemes and they just don't seem to have learned any lessons from it.

They're probably just at it. These companies would no doubt be hiring Milliband for after dinner speeches at £30,000 a pop after he left politics. A concept even more ridiculous as a form of entertainment than hiring TMay.
    Cookie said:

Foss said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

I'm a bit like you I think.

I hate staying in hotels. I have a cleaner that does my Dad's occasionally and if I'm accidentally there at the same time it feels terribly awkward to be sitting there (even if actually working) whilst someone else does some chores, even though they are being paid.

Though I don't have this problem with the experimental robot cleaner, admittedly.

Always prefer self catering.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,641
    Pulpstar said:

Scott_xP said:

@GdnPolitics

Robert Jenrick makes pitch to Tory centre with Cleverly frontbench offer

Cleverly would be wise to tell him to get effed.
    On the contary, they need to unite behind the new leader whoever that is
    If either Jenrick or Badenoch can get Cleverly onboard that'd be a massive boon. He's the clear frontrunner for shadow Chancellor I think.
    He can't count MPs! What makes you think he'd be better at counting billions?
    edited 12:43PM
    MattW said:

Because the world is designed for humans, so a robot-like-Gardenwalker can use all the same tools and appliances as Gardenwalker, without needing two of everything. It can feed your cat with your tin opener and Kitecat, and can sharpen a pencil with your Swiss Army knife, and sharpen your Swiss army knife with your own sharpening stone. The same applies to things like your robot catching a bus or driving a car to get @Leon and his robot-showgirl sex object back from the Groucho.

Imagine if @Leon pulled a robot and it turned out to be shaped like a wardrobe from Ikea.

He'd think he'd seduced Nicholas Soames by mistake :wink: , wearing beer-goggles.

Cookie said:

Foss said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

I hate staying in hotels. I have a cleaner that does my Dad's occasionally and if I'm accidentally there at the same time it feels terribly awkward to be sitting there (even if actually working) whilst someone else does some chores, even though they are being paid.

Though I don't have this problem with the experimental robot cleaner, admittedly.

Multiple surveys show that people often PREFER to interact with robots than with other humans. Less stressful. You can’t annoy or disappoint a robot - not yet, anyway
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

I know what you mean but we will soon get used to it, I suspect

It must have felt equally odd for the first people using telephones. Indeed I have read that it did. You are talking into a machine yet a recognisable disembodied human voice responds even though they are not present - that’s deeply strange when you consider it. Yet it didn’t stop us adopting telephones with extreme eagerness
    My understanding is that one of the first problems to address was how you start a conversation. At first, people simply picked up the phone and listened and waited. Which given the lack of dialling tones wasn't much help for whoever was on the other end. Bell favoured answering with a jaunty "Ahoy!", but it didn't catch on. "Hello" wasn't really a greeting back then - it was more a rhetorical question, a "what's going on here then". It became common in the same way Italians answer the telephone with 'pronto!' ('ready!') I think we get its current sense as a greeting from its use in answering the telephone.
    When I was small the household telephone was normally answered with the last four digits of your phone number in order that the caller could confirm to himself that he had dialled the right number (or at least if there was an errorthat ithad been early on in his dialling.)

Blow to No 10's investment summit as port giant pulls £1bn announcement over P&O row

The government's Investment Summit has suffered a major blow after ports and logistics giant DP World pulled a scheduled announcement of a £1bn investment in its London Gateway container port, following criticism by members of Sir Keir Starmer's cabinet.

Sky News understands the Dubai-based company's investment was due to be a centrepiece of Monday's event, which is intended to showcase Britain's appeal to investors and will be attended by the prime minister and Chancellor Rachel Reeves.

DP World's investment in the port is now under review however, following criticism by Transport Secretary Louise Haigh and Deputy Prime Minister Angela Rayner of its subsidiary P&O Ferries.

https://news.sky.com/story/blow-to-no-10s-investment-summit-as-port-giant-pulls-1bn-announcement-over-pando-row-13231876

Whoops.
    edited 12:46PM
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Foss said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Multiple surveys show that people often PREFER to interact with robots than with other humans. Less stressful. You can’t annoy or disappoint a robot - not yet, anyway
    Glad to hear I'm not a total freak, even if a partial one.

The problem is that if the robot becomes too human we are back to square 1.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,258
    Leon said:

I heard lots of rumblings within the tech/AI industries last night at a trade event that companies are worried that Labour will trade away AI regulatory sovereignty to the EU in any negotiation over the goods border controls. They all said pretty much in unison that the EU is determined to bring the UK into their regulatory net because they understand the threat that having a huge innovator right on their border that isn't beholden to their terrible regulations. It seems mad that rather than fix their regulatory errors the approach is to force other countries to adopt the backwards rules also they don't have to deal with any competition.

As it stands any European person or business interested in developing AI seriously hops over the channel or Irish sea to the UK and last night I spoke to a large European company that has basically told their existing AI dev team they have two options, redundancy or move to the UK to their existing base in Birmingham. Even speaking to the professionals from Europe they know it's bad, every single one of them sees how far EU countries are falling back right now and none of them have any answers beyond moving to the UK or US because they seem to recognise the EU isn't going to budge on the regulatory stance.
    MattW said:

The Asimov I Robot and Caves of Steel series in particular. Although I am not nearly as confident as Asimov was about being able to make the 3 laws of robotics central to the creation of AI:
    A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
    A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
    A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,486

Its an absolute joke. Everybody knows these places, its all in plain sight, we can all name at least one in our local area. The barbers, nail bars, the Eastern European shops with no stock, the American Candy Stores (those are Iranian / Iraqi I believe).
    And bars/pubs. A lot of it goes on there. The black economy is vast. If Vice were an official industry sector it'd be one of the biggest.
    Leon said:

Cookie said:

Foss said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

I'm sure I will inadvertently manage it.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,258
    Leon said:

In an ideal world we develop robots that wipe the arses of old people and clean toilets. Fundamentally the jobs that we currently import people from Africa and Asia to fill we should be looking at robotics and automation.

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Had two dishwashers for 12years now. Makes life so much easier, especially when you have people for dinner. You aren't still fannying about with washing up in the morning then.
    First Strictly Come Dancing celebrity eggs now cannibal dining.

The sheer decadence of celebrity living on the English Riviera!