Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Spread betting on the White House race – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,075
edited 5:50AM in General
imageSpread betting on the White House race – politicalbetting.com

Sporting Index have opened their spreads on the White House race. I am a huge fan of spread betting but I realise this isn’t for everybody as you can lose substantially more than your stake but spread betting is political betting loins are girded.

Read the full story here

Comments

• AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,271
    Budget beckons
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,712
    2nd like Pakistan.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,817
    Congratulations @JohnO
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,812

Budget beckons

Thoughts and prayers for you.

First full month of Reeves & Starmer and GDP is up.
    This is every day sexism/misandry..

Carol Vorderman: Starmer accepting free clothes would be understandable if he was a woman

The Left-wing activist added that it was a ‘rookie error’ for the PM to accept £2,400 from Lord Alli to pay for glasses

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/10/10/carol-voderman-keir-starmer-free-glasses-woman-lord-alli/
    So Sue Gray will be missing from todays Regional Conference because she is "taking a break".

Understandable I guess given her unceremonious dumping last week but it begs the question will she actually end up doing the role ?
    edited 6:06AM

Carol Vorderman: Starmer accepting free clothes would be understandable if he was a woman

The Left-wing activist added that it was a ‘rookie error’ for the PM to accept £2,400 from Lord Alli to pay for glasses

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/10/10/carol-voderman-keir-starmer-free-glasses-woman-lord-alli/

She's got a book to plug. Apparently it is not very good. I have not read it. The reviews precede it.

Taz said:

Congratulations @JohnO

Yup.

First Tory gain from the Lib Dems since the election IIRC.

Clearly it was our lunch last week wot won it.
    Everybody loves a Lawyer !!!!

Budget beckons

Thoughts and prayers for you too.

Youll get hammered on tax

Presumably when Miss Vorderman was on TV 100 episodes at a time and never in the safe outfit twice, she had a rich friend lend a credit card to run down Kensington High St, and never used a wardrobe service to lend her 100 dresses billed to the production?

Budget beckons

GMB poll with Survation this morning not good for labour.

SKS is massively unpopular and only a third of labour voters think they are doing a good job.

It is early days and they can redeem it but the budget is critical.

Budget beckons

This where my bank/tax advisers/accountants earn their money with their tax minimisation strategies.

Taz said:

Congratulations @JohnO

Yup.

Perhaps you should have lunched with James Cleverley instead
    I have been offered dinner with Bobby J.
    Taz said:

So Sue Gray will be missing from todays Regional Conference because she is "taking a break".

Understandable I guess given her unceremonious dumping last week but it begs the question will she actually end up doing the role ?

Anyone want to guess she quietly ends up there but in a non-exec role, turning up for a couple of meetings a month but still with the full £170k salary?

Taz said:

Congratulations @JohnO

Yup.

Dont go
  • SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 678

Taz said:

Congratulations @JohnO

Yup.

Are you involved with a development that needs planning permission?
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,641

Taz said:

Congratulations @JohnO

Yup.

Do you have a mickey mouse sweatshirt you could wear?

Budget beckons

This where my bank/tax advisers/accountants earn their money with their tax minimisation strategies.
    If we had a simple tax regime you wouldnt need them
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,433
    Trump raised $160m in September. That compares with $248m in the same month in 2020 when he also did a lot more rallies. Harris's figures are not released yet but her total fundraising is believed to have passed $1bn. American elections are insane.

Money doesn't win elections but Harris has spent quite a lot of her money on GOTV and ground operations rather than the never ending adverts that people seem to tune out. That might move the dial a bit in the ultra close states. The biggest fall in Trump's fund raising is in the small donations. Perhaps another sign that the enthusiasm gap between Harris and Trump is starting to grow, something else that could move some of these marginal states.

But its all maybe this, maybe that. Good luck to those who go into spread betting on this election. Its way too unpredictable for me.
    edited 6:23AM

Taz said:

Congratulations @JohnO

Yup.

No, but this is the current watch face on my Apple Watch.

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,632
    The economy expanded by 0.2% in the month after flatlining for two months before, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said. However, the ONS warned the "broader picture" in the UK was one of "slowing growth".

There isn't exactly much growth to slow.

Taz said:

Congratulations @JohnO

Yup.

You dont often see Keir Starmer on a watch. Did you get it from the Labour shop ?
    edited 6:32AM
    DavidL said:

Trump raised $160m in September. That compares with $248m in the same month in 2020 when he also did a lot more rallies. Harris's figures are not released yet but her total fundraising is believed to have passed $1bn. American elections are insane.

Money doesn't win elections but Harris has spent quite a lot of her money on GOTV and ground operations rather than the never ending adverts that people seem to tune out. That might move the dial a bit in the ultra close states. The biggest fall in Trump's fund raising is in the small donations. Perhaps another sign that the enthusiasm gap between Harris and Trump is starting to grow, something else that could move some of these marginal states.

But its all maybe this, maybe that. Good luck to those who go into spread betting on this election. Its way too unpredictable for me.

The amount of money in US politics is possibly only second to the amount of money in US healthcare, as something totally unfathomable to people from elsewhere. I think HIllary Clinton has the record, spending more than $2bn in 2016.

Living in one of the swing States must be absolutely terrible right now, with constant TV ads and phone calls from politicians or their representatives.

Agree 100% on spread betting, especialy on things like EC votes where there could be wild swings one way or another. I think I’d stick to simple bets with small numbers, such as how many Biden 2020 States go to Trump in 2024, which is almost certain to be in the 0-5 range!
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,725
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

The amount of money in US politics is possibly only second to the amount of money in US healthcare, as something totally unfathomable to people from elsewhere. I think HIllary Clinton has the record, spending more than $2bn in 2016.

Living in one of the swing States must be absolutely terrible right now, with constant TV ads and phone calls from politicians or their representatives.

Agree 100% on spread betting, especialy on things like EC votes where there could be wild swings one way or another. I think I’d stick to simple bets with small numbers, such as how many Biden 2020 States go to Trump in 2024, which is almost certain to be in the 0-5 range!
    Probably more value the other way - how many Trump 2020 states Harris picks up.

North Carolina would be a good bet to start, given the chaos engulfing the Republicans there.
    Awesome catch from Jack Leach there.

Taz said:

Congratulations @JohnO

Yup.

You dont often see Keir Starmer on a watch. Did you get it from the Labour shop ?
    Jenrick has the same watch but unfortunately the face is entirely black.
    Wicket! Getting close to a truly remarkable win.
    DavidL said:

England win!
    And another wicket!
    Top of the unwanted statistics, no team has ever scored 550 first time out and then gone on to lose by an innings.
    Sandpit said:

Top of the unwanted statistics, no team has ever scored 550 first time out and then gone on to lose by an innings.

I would hate to be Shan Masood right now.

What may save his captaincy is literally nobody else wants it.

DavidL said:

England win!
    One of the most remarkable wins by an England side that I have ever seen. Pakistan seemed to think that they would get chances when England played Bazball on a flat wicket but Root and Brook just ground them into the dust.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,260

Everyday imbecility, at least.
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

England win!
    One of the most remarkable wins by an England side that I have ever seen. Pakistan seemed to think that they would get chances when England played Bazball on a flat wicket but Root and Brook just ground them into the dust.
    Magnificent bowling from Leach too. 4-30 must be worth 7-70 on a decent pitch.

(Amusingly the Sky scorecard is showing Naseem 'st Leach b Leach.'
    Cookie said:

To think that she used to be famous for using her brain.
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,262
    Thanks TSE. I am taking your advice on this.

Presumably you know where to send the invoice?
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,405

Taz said:

Congratulations @JohnO

Yup.

Dont go
    No, do go. I can't wait for the PB report.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 69,269
    Taz said:

Accurately reflecting government engagement with, and interest in the regions.
    ydoethur said:

FPT

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

https://x.com/ppollingnumbers/status/1844419029534114026

#New General Election poll - Swing State's

Arizona - 🔴 Trump +3
    Georgia - 🔴 Trump +5
    Michigan - 🔴 Trump +1
    Nevada - 🔴 Trump +3
    N. Carolina - 🔴 Trump +1
    Pennsylvania - 🔴 Trump +1
    Wisconsin - 🔴 Trump +1

McLaughlin (🔴) #F - LV - 10/9

Your posting only Trump biased polls is really pissing me off.

Trump may well win, but based on your input it appears more of a foregone conclusion than reality.
    William was funny once. These days he is just a garden variety Trumpian shill.
    He always has been, see 2016.

It's his about turn over the EU that has changed.
    Oh indeed, but an amusing Trumpian. Now it’s just cherry-picked dubious polling. Not great on a betting site.
    1. He's smarter than you, and occasionally rather amusing

2. This site has a RIDICULOUS anti-Trump bias. I don't just mean most here want Trump to lose, I mean people consistently and only post polls, news, insights, opinions - that favour Harris and the Dems and, even more, show what an abject eejit Trump is and how he is BOUND to lose, because of this that and the other and blah blah bleurgh

PB is ideally neutral, in toto, so people can draw conclusions and make bets. If @williamglenn is boosting Trump then he is providing a salutary counter-service to us all
    Trump is a perfect arsehole, he should be in an orange suit. A real wrong un.
    He will be in an orange suit. In an earlier age he would have been up for breaking rocks until he expired.

Or for execution after a trial for treason, if the USA legal system could have got itself out of a twist.
    What on earth did he do that was treasonous ?
    Try to prevent a democratic election result being declared.
    By asking people to peacefully protest?

"I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard."

If he was going to have a coup, as implied by another poster, you know him being the president of the USA and all, you think he might have managed more than that weirdo with the animal skin and a staff. You know, like maybe some weapons? A few tanks. A few friendly senior military and civilian police forces?
    He did not 'ask people to peacefully.' He incited a riot to try and overturn the result of an election he had lost because he was emotionally hurt at being rejected.

Among other things, he also tried to falsify election returns and made threats to senior officials including his own vice-president.

Anyone who thinks that doesn't amount to an attempted coup has either not bothered to look at what happened or is so incredibly stupid they would pay $44 billion for Twitter.
    Literally literally literally asked people to peacefully and patriotically protest.
    ’Literally literally literally’ that is not true.

Here’s what he actually said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55640437

So he ordered them to ‘fight’ to ‘stop the steal.’

Suggesting he told them to protest ‘peacefully’ in this context is a little bit like Irving’s claim that Hitler never ordered the Holocaust.
    'Literally' could be true; Trump is not an accomplished reader.
    Sandpit said:

Presumably when Miss Vorderman was on TV 100 episodes at a time and never in the safe outfit twice, she had a rich friend lend a credit card to run down Kensington High St, and never used a wardrobe service to lend her 100 dresses billed to the production?
    Have you gone Leon on us ?

Thanks TSE. I am taking your advice on this.

Presumably you know where to send the invoice?

Is this good time to mention that SPIN have given me an exclusive 0800 number with my own dedicated relationship manager to take my bets if the website ever goes down?
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,654

Taz said:

Congratulations @JohnO

Yup.

I am of an age where I'd now just prefer dinner and a desert.
    edited 7:00AM
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

FPT

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

https://x.com/ppollingnumbers/status/1844419029534114026

#New General Election poll - Swing State's

Arizona - 🔴 Trump +3
    Georgia - 🔴 Trump +5
    Michigan - 🔴 Trump +1
    Nevada - 🔴 Trump +3
    N. Carolina - 🔴 Trump +1
    Pennsylvania - 🔴 Trump +1
    Wisconsin - 🔴 Trump +1

McLaughlin (🔴) #F - LV - 10/9

Your posting only Trump biased polls is really pissing me off.

Trump may well win, but based on your input it appears more of a foregone conclusion than reality.
    William was funny once. These days he is just a garden variety Trumpian shill.
    He always has been, see 2016.

It's his about turn over the EU that has changed.
    Oh indeed, but an amusing Trumpian. Now it’s just cherry-picked dubious polling. Not great on a betting site.
    1. He's smarter than you, and occasionally rather amusing

2. This site has a RIDICULOUS anti-Trump bias. I don't just mean most here want Trump to lose, I mean people consistently and only post polls, news, insights, opinions - that favour Harris and the Dems and, even more, show what an abject eejit Trump is and how he is BOUND to lose, because of this that and the other and blah blah bleurgh

PB is ideally neutral, in toto, so people can draw conclusions and make bets. If @williamglenn is boosting Trump then he is providing a salutary counter-service to us all
    Trump is a perfect arsehole, he should be in an orange suit. A real wrong un.
    He will be in an orange suit. In an earlier age he would have been up for breaking rocks until he expired.

Or for execution after a trial for treason, if the USA legal system could have got itself out of a twist.
    What on earth did he do that was treasonous ?
    Try to prevent a democratic election result being declared.
    By asking people to peacefully protest?

"I know that everyone here will soon be marching over to the Capitol building to peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard."

If he was going to have a coup, as implied by another poster, you know him being the president of the USA and all, you think he might have managed more than that weirdo with the animal skin and a staff. You know, like maybe some weapons? A few tanks. A few friendly senior military and civilian police forces?
    He did not 'ask people to peacefully.' He incited a riot to try and overturn the result of an election he had lost because he was emotionally hurt at being rejected.

Among other things, he also tried to falsify election returns and made threats to senior officials including his own vice-president.

Anyone who thinks that doesn't amount to an attempted coup has either not bothered to look at what happened or is so incredibly stupid they would pay $44 billion for Twitter.
    Literally literally literally asked people to peacefully and patriotically protest.
    ’Literally literally literally’ that is not true.

Here’s what he actually said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55640437

So he ordered them to ‘fight’ to ‘stop the steal.’

Suggesting he told them to protest ‘peacefully’ in this context is a little bit like Irving’s claim that Hitler never ordered the Holocaust.
    'Literally' could be true; Trump is not an accomplished reader.
    I suppose in theory Wilderness2 could argue he was right since Trump did use the words 'peacefully and patriotically' after telling people to fight to stop the steal.

But - that was clearly him trying to dodge responsibility after inciting a riot. You don't tell people to fight 'peacefully.' If he didn't want them to riot, he wouldn't have said those other things first.

It was a bit like David Duke or a certain SDS sufferer saying 'I'm not an antisemite, but...'

Taz said:

Congratulations @JohnO

Yup.

You've not the women I go on dates with.
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Why do I always notice the typo about six minutes and 30 seconds after the post, and then why does someone always spot it?
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Why do I always notice the typo about six minutes and 30 seconds after the post, and then why does someone always spot it?
    This is pedanticbetting.com. Spotting mistakes is what we do.
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Only when it's mildly amusing.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,247
    Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Carol Vorderman might have been suggesting women wear glasses as fashion items. It is hard to be sure without having seen the whole speech but the Telegraph gives us:-

“I just didn’t quite understand that. I could understand it more if he was a woman, but why do you need more than one or two pairs of glasses, was he sitting on them?”

Confession: I'm currently using four pairs of glasses, each at a different focus. In aggregate they cost a damn sight less than £2,400.

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

Carol Vorderman might have been suggesting women wear glasses as fashion items. It is hard to be sure without having seen the whole speech but the Telegraph gives us:-

“I just didn’t quite understand that. I could understand it more if he was a woman, but why do you need more than one or two pairs of glasses, was he sitting on them?”

Confession: I'm currently using four pairs of glasses, each at a different focus. In aggregate they cost a damn sight less than £2,400.
    He should have gone to Barnard Castle.
    edited 7:08AM
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Yes the problem with autocorrect is that it doesn’t just leave the typo, it almost always leaves a valid word in place of it, which can often make the problem worse! It would be better if the browser worked like a word processor, and left a red line under a word it didn’t recognise. That said, the new IOS18 is a lot better than earlier versions at predictive text and autocorrect.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,989

Taz said:

Congratulations @JohnO

Yup.

What like the Bedouin? Loitering with intent?
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Yes the problem with autocorrect is that it doesn’t just leave the typo, it almost always leaves a valid word in place of it, which can often make the problem worse! It would be better if the browser worked like a word processor, and left a red line under a word it didn’t recognise.
    Aha, time to give this a runout.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewziegler/autocorrect-fails-of-the-decade
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

F*** no! When autocorrect inserts a rogue apostrophe the sky falls in on the poster.

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

I just got a natty pair of +3.5 readers from Home Bargains for 99p. Some of the more expensive models were £1.49.
    Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Anyone want to guess she quietly ends up there but in a non-exec role, turning up for a couple of meetings a month but still with the full £170k salary?
    It's only Taxpayers money.

Trebles all round

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

My mental image of @DecrepiterJohnL is now this:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

F*** no! When autocorrect inserts a rogue apostrophe the sky falls in on the poster.
    Yes, I've taken autocorrect off. I'd rather people think me a clumsy typer than someone who can't apostrophise correctly.
    edited 7:18AM
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Yes the problem with autocorrect is that it doesn’t just leave the typo, it almost always leaves a valid word in place of it, which can often make the problem worse! It would be better if the browser worked like a word processor, and left a red line under a word it didn’t recognise.

Some crackers on there.

As for autocorrect one I found funny was someone message a friend who said they would meet them later after they had been out for a wank. Of course they meant walk. They'd wank inside you'd like to think.
    Nigelb said:

Taz said:

Accurately reflecting government engagement with, and interest in the regions.
    Touche

Taz said:

Congratulations @JohnO

Yup.

Dont go
    No, do go. I can't wait for the PB report.
    Take a food taster, though.
    Foxy said:

Taz said:

Congratulations @JohnO

Yup.

The Bedouin were loitering within tent, surely?

Taz said:

Congratulations @JohnO

Yup.

Take some powdered laxatives !!!!
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,419
    Is JohnO running for Tory leader?
    edited 7:22AM
    Foxy said:

Taz said:

Congratulations @JohnO

Yup.

I see what you did there. How convenient for me that we were in the midst of a discussion about autocorrect!
    Taz said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Some crackers on there.

As for autocorrect one I found funny was someone message a friend who said they would meet them later after they had been out for a wank. Of course they meant walk. They'd wank inside you'd like to think.
    About 20 years ago I sent my Mum a text saying.

‘I’ll be coming home tonight’

However autocorrect turned it in to

‘I’ll be coming good tonight’

So my Mum replied with

‘What do you mean you’ll be coming good tonight?’

I still have PTSD with that.
    Taz said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Trebles all round
    Did we ever get to the bottom of what exactly 1,160 people do at Ofgem, as mentioned yesterday?

I’m rapidly becoming of the opinion that there needs to be a zero-based Budget, and that whole departments should be torn up and either rebuilt from scratch or their functions transferred elsewhere.

Taz said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Some crackers on there.

So my Mum replied with

Did you have a hard time explaining it?

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

I've three sets of focus over two pairs of bifocals. Plus prescription sunglasses.

But I can see the attraction of a really short focus pair for fine mechanical work like camera lens disassembly.

So four pairs isn't ridiculous if you've got crap vision (insert political gag as desired).
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,323
    Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Trebles all round
    Did we ever get to the bottom of what exactly 1,160 people do at Ofgem, as mentioned yesterday?

I’m rapidly becoming of the opinion that there needs to be a zero-based Budget, and that whole departments should be torn up and either rebuilt from scratch or their functions transferred elsewhere.
    Perhaps but as always it won’t be as simple as “no unintended consequences”. People do rely on Ofgem to deal with complaints against energy suppliers and simply getting rid of them will likely make that process slower or more difficult which will be another example of British state infrastructure or services grinding to a halt.

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

That's why I cut folk slack over its/it's these days. Butcher's, not so much.
    edited 7:34AM

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Trebles all round

Perhaps but as always it won’t be as simple as “no unintended consequences”. People do rely on Ofgem to deal with complaints against energy suppliers and simply getting rid of them will likely make that process slower or more difficult which will be another example of British state infrastructure or services grinding to a halt.
    Ofgem does not investigate complaints against energy suppliers, as I found when I tried to get them to look into these constant false bills from British Gas. They sent a email claiming - falsely - that although they could investigate under GDPR laws they could not notify me of the outcome of any such investigation. What they really meant was, they had no intention of investigating.

This is why energy companies can get away with what they do. Heck, even when it did investigate and found they were all keeping people waiting deliberately for an hour on the phone to force them to give up, it only put them all on 'notice to improve.' Which, I might add, they haven't.

It is an utter waste of time and money. Put the energy firms under Trading Standards and things would change rapidly.

When it comes to investigations of complaints, the Ombudsman does that, although again the energy companies make it as difficult as possible to refer them.

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Trebles all round

The thing is that customer complaints go to the Ombudsman, rather than to Ofgem.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-64521159

I’m yet to see a convincing argument why Ofgem shouldn’t be a few dozen people, and it’s one of hundreds of such quangoes.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,975
    Sometimes you do really need to look at cross tabs .

A quite extraordinary weighting from reg voters to likely voters occurs in the TIPP insights which had Harris 4 points up in Pennsylvania.

After the weighting to likely voters Trump leads by 1 point .

The Philadelphia reg vote went from being 134 respondents to 12 in likely voters !

Her original margin in that county went from beating Trump 55 points to just 20 points !

Sandpit said:

Cookie said:

I just got a natty pair of +3.5 readers from Home Bargains for 99p. Some of the more expensive models were £1.49.
    +3.5! I thought my vision was bad.

I spent a whole £15 the other night on a pair of glasses from Boots off the shelf. They are amazing and better than my prescription glasses. I was talking to my Dad last night about this - apparently he doesn't bother at all with opticians any more and just gets them off the internet for £10 a pair or thereabouts.

Italians furious at Israeli "intentional" targetting of their bases in Lebanon

"After speaking with his Israeli counterpart Yoav Gallant and the Israeli ambassador to Italy earlier in the day, Crosetto reiterated that the Italian government does not believe the justification that the attack was a mistake or an accident. Italy therefore demands “real explanations as quickly as possible.”

As Ansa reported, UNIFIL's interpretation of the Israeli attack on the UN mission's bases, according to senior security sources familiar with the Middle East dossier, is that it was aimed at "forcing its withdrawal" to avoid having "unwanted witnesses" to Tel Aviv's military "future plans" in Lebanon."

https://www.euractiv.com/section/politics/news/italy-strongly-condemns-israeli-strikes-in-lebanon-targeting-italian-bases/

One excellent reason, among several, to vote for Harris over the Trumpdozer is that the Republicans are far more likely to allow Israel a free hand in the middle east to do what they want and fuck the consequences. As can be seen from Mike Pompeo's recent comments on Social Media.
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Trebles all round

Ofgem does not investigate complaints against energy suppliers, as I found when I tried to get them to look into these constant false bills from British Gas. They sent a email claiming - falsely - that although they could investigate under GDPR laws they could not notify me of the outcome of any such investigation. What they really meant was, they had no intention of investigating.

This is why energy companies can get away with what they do. Heck, even when it did investigate and found they were all keeping people waiting deliberately for an hour on the phone to force them to give up, it only put them all on 'notice to improve.' Which, I might add, they haven't.

It is an utter waste of time and money. Put the energy firms under Trading Standards and things would change rapidly.

When it comes to investigations of complaints, the Ombudsman does that, although again the energy companies make it as difficult as possible to refer them.
    If we had a proper socialist government they would re-nationalise with minimal compensation to shareholders. How about reimbursing the shareholder at privatisation day values taking account of inflation? Although to be honest when OUR utilities were privatised on our behalf we didn't see any compensation. F*** 'em!
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,227
    DavidL said:

Michael Lewis was on the radio talking about Sam Bankman-Fried who was the biggest donor to both Biden and McConnell in the 2020 cycle and Bankman-Fried argued what was surprising is how little money is raised given the number of billionaires and how their interests and wealth can be impacted by govt.

Also note his donations to Democrats were public but his (equal) donations to Republicans were what he called dark. So don't trust the gap in the numbers.

And two of the world's very richest men, Putin and Musk, who also control the news we get more than almost any other individuals, are heavily into Trump.
    nico679 said:

A quite extraordinary weighting from reg voters to likely voters occurs in the TIPP insights which had Harris 4 points up in Pennsylvania.

The Philadelphia reg vote went from being 134 respondents to 12 in likely voters !

Her original margin in that county went from beating Trump 55 points to just 20 points !

All that means, though, is that the pollster doesn't weight for likely voters. Trying then to reweight the poll is statistically dodgy; best simply to asterisk it.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,247
    25 days to bonfire night aka the American election.
    Any guesses who said this ?

"Now, I'm gonna make it real -- very quick it's gonna go. But to bring it to that level I guess I'll need a little more time but I won't have that time but I'm gonna have, I'm gonna hand it over to people. We're gonna make this country so strong."
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,491
    Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Trebles all round

I feel like we need a new department to look into the running of other departments and quangos/regulators. Maybe call it the 'Department of Administrative Affairs' :wink:

I do agree, as noted elsewhere, that it's not obvious why we need a specific ombudsman (moving away from OfGem now) for each industry. It would appear to be more efficient to either roll it into a general complaints arbitrator across a range of industries or to have the regulators also enforce their rules in specific cases, rather than just issue fines for firms being consistently on the naughty step.
    nico679 said:

I’m becoming increasingly sceptical of the US polling. It’s in everyone’s interest to show it as a close race in the last few weeks, and I suspect that political organisations are commissioning several polls and then publishing only the one most favourable to their party or candidate.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,575
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

That's why I cut folk slack over its/it's these days. Butcher's, not so much.
    I repeatedly mix their and there up when posting even though I fully understand the difference. I don't know why. And the number of times I miss 'not' out of a post and post the complete opposite of what I want is frustrating (Did it yesterday).
    Nigelb said:

nico679 said:

All that means, though, is that the pollster doesn't weight for likely voters. Trying then to reweight the poll is statistically dodgy; best simply to asterisk it.
    But they did weight , they had several screener questions . And those in Philadelphia were 75% likely to vote .
  • eekeek Posts: 27,678

Taz said:

Congratulations @JohnO

Yup.

So common - I used to have Minnie Mouse but have since switched to the Snoopy animations
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,391
    Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Trebles all round

I posted two recent activities by OfGem yesterday, helping consumers get refunds and smoothing some forthcoming technical transitions. You can see plenty more here: https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/news-and-views/press-releases
    Sandpit said:

nico679 said:

I’m becoming increasingly sceptical of the US polling. It’s in everyone’s interest to show it as a close race in the last few weeks, and I suspect that political organisations are commissioning several polls and then publishing only the one most favourable to their party or candidate.
    Agreed . There’s just too many biased polls , most of which come from GOP supporting companies . A lot depends on whether this election behaves like 2020 or 2022 .
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,391
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Trebles all round

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/press-release/ovo-pay-ps237-million-customer-complaint-failures
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,239
    edited 7:55AM
    I was reading some comments on this website about crime in London, muggings etc. You can now see the crime reports at road level. There is obviously violence, theft and anti-social behaviour, a few reports a month in 'hotspots'; typically around council estates. However I am not persuaded 'things are getting worse' when compared with accounts of the 1980's/1990's when anti social behaviour was not even defined as a crime. The accounts in Iain Sinclairs books of his period house in Hackney being perpetually burgled come to mind and the dystopia of living in a new build in Hackney Wick enclosed by a motorway in the pre regeneration days. I just don't think this is something that still goes on.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,227
    Nigelb said:

"Now, I'm gonna make it real -- very quick it's gonna go. But to bring it to that level I guess I'll need a little more time but I won't have that time but I'm gonna have, I'm gonna hand it over to people. We're gonna make this country so strong."

"I have more complaints on grocery. The word grocery. You know, it's sorta simple word, but it sorta means like everything you eat. The stomach is speaking. It always does. And, uh, I have more complaints about that. Bacon and things going up."

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Trebles all round

I posted two recent activities by OfGem yesterday, helping consumers get refunds and smoothing some forthcoming technical transitions. You can see plenty more here: https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/news-and-views/press-releases
    I see eight press releases in the last three months on that page, and only 22 so far this year. An organisation of more than 1,000 people should surely be announcing something at least weekly?

Nigelb said:

"I have more complaints on grocery. The word grocery. You know, it's sorta simple word, but it sorta means like everything you eat. The stomach is speaking. It always does. And, uh, I have more complaints about that. Bacon and things going up."
    This kind of stuff is why the youtube skits of a drunk/stoned guy having a rant (quoting Trump) work so well :lol:
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Sandpit said:

Taz said:

Trebles all round

I see eight press releases in the last three months on that page, and only 22 so far this year. An organisation of more than 1,000 people should surely be announcing something at least weekly?
    There was a bit in the Telegraph article (re people being out of office) about site visits etc. Do OfGem get involved in any physical inspections of things etc/engineering compliance? If so then I can well see the staffing levels. If it's just market regulation then it's harder to see exactly what that many people do - there could be an awful lot of paperwork being shuffled around between companies and OfGem, but the utility of that might be questioned.

This is part of the problem, we're not really sure what a lot of the regulators do. Do OfWat do site inspections, water testing etc, water quality in rivers near outflows etc?
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,568

Taz said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Some crackers on there.

So my Mum replied with

Perhaps she thought/hoped all the time, money and care invested in your upbringing might be coming to fruition. Just think of it that way, better for your PTSD..