Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What we think about Reform – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• The statement says it is only freebie clothes, does this mean if Starmer wants some new specs or some Oasis tickets, Lord Alli is still on speed dial?

This story will run and run as at each event or football match Starmer will be asked who paid for it

Indeed, now Reeves and Rayner have admitted they have also been taking lots of freebies the questions will just keep coming as with Lammy, Streeting, Miliband and others

This threatens to become Partygate 2 or Freebiegate 1
    It’s more like Donkeygate 2
    Whatever it is, it is a shocking revelation on Starmer and his cabinet who thought they could accept freebies of tens of thousands of pounds and in his case one hundred thousand plus pounds

Lots of labour mps are dismayed, and indeed furious, at these revelations and once you 'Ratner' your brand you know what follows
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    viewcode said:

Foxy said:

It appears Reeves and Rayner have both accepted thousands of pounds worth of free clothes which weren't labelled as such in the register of Interests, apparently because they were registered as support for work duties

How on earth have Labour got into this mess ?

Its the cover-up that gets you.
    They shouldn't skirt the issue, no matter how it suits them not to do so.
    But what if they are not cape-able?
    I am sure they could a dress it if they chose.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500

mercator said:

It appears Reeves and Rayner have both accepted thousands of pounds worth of free clothes which weren't labelled as such in the register of Interests, apparently because they were registered as support for work duties

How on earth have Labour got into this mess ?

They were just following the Leader
    Did you see my Essay on Portable Nutrition yesterday?
    I did. Thanks for the advice, which seems very sensible

But I'm still going to take my three tins of soup with me! I plan to do most of my eating in pubs so I won't need much portable food

I'm considering drinking whisky on camping nights, so I won't have to carry quite so much beer with me and I'll have the space and strength to bear the weight of the soup

Cullen Skink and Scotch sounds like a pretty awesome camping dinner to me
    Some of these pouch stew type meals aren't as bad as one would imagine. Also cask strength whisky packs more punch per kg :)

Can we have Rishi back please?

I think he's a rare find in the packets of snap crackle and pop.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,668

On topic: not much.

Lee Anderson is just the sort of scruffy, nasty little bigot who populated the pubs in the industrial town I grew up in. One of the big advantages of his moving to Reform is we rarely see him on the telly now: he simply preaches to the converted at gatherings of the cult.

An even bigger long term advantage if him and all his kind move over. No more Labour Governments.

• mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,533

The statement says it is only freebie clothes, does this mean if Starmer wants some new specs or some Oasis tickets, Lord Alli is still on speed dial?

This story will run and run as at each event or football match Starmer will be asked who paid for it

Indeed, now Reeves and Rayner have admitted they have also been taking lots of freebies the questions will just keep coming as with Lammy, Streeting, Miliband and others

Reminds me a lot of the start of the Blair government. I didn't like it then either. On the other hand it "seems worse" because "Labour aren't supposed to be like that" and we will all get used to the slow corrosive effect it has and it will deliver diminishing returns.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,611

This joke, told in many American states, may amuse some of you:

Here's the Washington state version: Why did Walla Walla get the state prison, and Pullman got Washington State University?

Walla Walla had the first pick;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walla_Walla,_Washington
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pullman,_Washington

(Could there be a UK equivalent? I have no idea.)

Not exactly, but:

Why did the Scots get the oil and the Irish potatoes?

The Irish had first choice.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,715
    AnneJGP said:

Starmer, Reeves and Rayner will not accept any further donations for clothes

Closing the stable door after the horse has bolted springs to mind

That phraseology makes them sound like an overstocked charity shop.
    Refusing any more 50 Shades of Sue Grey either.....
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,454

The statement says it is only freebie clothes, does this mean if Starmer wants some new specs or some Oasis tickets, Lord Alli is still on speed dial?

Whatever it is, it is a shocking revelation on Starmer and his cabinet who thought they could accept freebies of tens of thousands of pounds and in his case one hundred thousand plus pounds

Lots of labour mps are dismayed, and indeed furious, at these revelations and once you 'Ratner' your brand you know what follows
    I think you might be overegging it just a teensy weensy bit.

‘Labour donor gives First Lady clothing allowance’ is not much of a story, is it?
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643

Yet the Racing Post was very complimentary about the Prime Minister and Lady Victoria attending the St Leger at Doncaster last Saturday. The course first extended an invitation to then LOTO Starmer in 2022 but he couldn't attend either then because of the Queen's death and in 2023 because of a prior engagement.

Are you seriously suggesting as Prime Minister, Starmer shouldn't accept any invitation to attend any sporting event?
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,454

Can we have Rishi back please?

QTWTAIN
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,611

AnneJGP said:

They will find a way to thrash it out.

With that Manhattan trip, they are trying to Rayner their brand.
  • I have to give Labour 9/10 for comedy gold. They are shitting the bed harder than I thought possible.

But however bad they get, however inept and tone deaf they are, they're still not as calamitous as the Sunak, TRUSS or Johnson administrations.

No wonder it drives CR mad.
    ydoethur said:

AnneJGP said:

They are bound to.
  • stodge said:

Yet the Racing Post was very complimentary about the Prime Minister and Lady Victoria attending the St Leger at Doncaster last Saturday. The course first extended an invitation to then LOTO Starmer in 2022 but he couldn't attend either then because of the Queen's death and in 2023 because of a prior engagement.

Are you seriously suggesting as Prime Minister, Starmer shouldn't accept any invitation to attend any sporting event?
    I think the suggestion is that it will be difficult for him to continue accepting the gifts because he will be questioned about his hypocrisy

He's a multi millionaire who can afford to pay for these things himself, and if he actually possesses any of the principles he has prolifically pronounced then he damn well should pay his own way
  • The statement says it is only freebie clothes, does this mean if Starmer wants some new specs or some Oasis tickets, Lord Alli is still on speed dial?

‘Labour donor gives First Lady clothing allowance’ is not much of a story, is it?
    You are in denial
  • MattW said:

Interesting policy proposal from Anne Widdicombe at the Reform Rally:

Put prisoners in disused holiday camps, Ann Widdecombe tells Reform conference
    Prisoners should be put in disused holiday camps, Ann Widdecombe has told the Reform UK conference.

I wonder how that will go down with voters in Clacton, Skegness, Boston and Great Yarmouth ? :wink:

That's the sort of policy where, if Labour proposed it, Reform would deride it as Labour sending prisoners on holiday.
    It was only a few days ago that someone on here was suggesting putting prisoners in hotels, citing the use of hotels for Asylum Seekers as a justification. Maybe someone in Reform is reading PB and harvesting all the dumbest ideas.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,603

ydoethur said:

AnneJGP said:

They are bound to.
    Their credibility is hanging by a thread.
  • stodge said:

I think the suggestion is that it will be difficult for him to continue accepting the gifts because he will be questioned about his hypocrisy

He's a multi millionaire who can afford to pay for these things himself, and if he actually possesses any of the principles he has prolifically pronounced then he damn well should pay his own way
    I think most sensible people can see the difference between personal gifts like clothing etc and jollies to sporting events which have defintely been a part of politics since long befoe you or I were a twinkle in the postman's eye.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,419

ydoethur said:

AnneJGP said:

They are bound to.
    Their credibility is hanging by a thread.
    You are on the button there - got them sewn up.
  • stodge said:

No of couse not

As PM he should attend events by invitation in the national interest, but following Arsenal and Taylor Swift concerts are not the same at all

stodge said:

He was invited by the raceocurse to attend - his wife was brought up in the area. Should he have refused or found out the cost and paid the racecourse or made a donation to the Injured Jockeys Fund or what?

This was again an invitation, he didn't ask to attend. I simply don't see the issue.

Rishi Sunak went to Catterick races which are in his constituency - do you think he paid or was he invited by the racecourse as the local MP?
  • I have to give Labour 9/10 for comedy gold. They are shitting the bed harder than I thought possible.

But however bad they get, however inept and tone deaf they are, they're still not as calamitous as the Sunak, TRUSS or Johnson administrations.

What must be driving the Daily Mail headline writers mad is the way every time they try to whip up an anti-Labour storm some real news breaks out and distracts everyone's attention.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

Have we reported this to the police like we did Currygate?
  • KnightOutKnightOut Posts: 115
    Omnium said:

DavidL said:

The Reform Acts of 1832, 1867 and 1918 in particular were a good thing. The latest manifestation not so much.

I do think it's a bit of an act still on the part of Farage and co. Whilst I thought quite well of Farage when he was championing the ills of the EU, I think he and his friends are now just seeking power for power's sake.
    Twas always this.

I strongly suspect he'd prefer to have narrowly lost the EURef so he could carry on campaigning indefinitely while remaining on board the MEP gravy train.

Once you get something you want you are doomed to not being able to want it.
  • stodge said:

I think most sensible people can see the difference between personal gifts like clothing etc and jollies to sporting events which have defintely been a part of politics since long befoe you or I were a twinkle in the postman's eye.
    Sporting events he has to attend as PM eg ENG v IRE the other day with the tea sock or whoever, sure

Arsenal tickets, entitled prick should pay for his own security
  • mercatormercator Posts: 815

It

mi

This being about the fifth consecutive day you have had to say that, suggests otherwise. So does the fact that of your 7 words 2 are misleading and 2 simply wrong.

I am looking forward to the Sundays. The story is the perfect size - small scale so we can relate to it because we all buy clothes but envy inducing because we don't buy them £5000 a time at the expense of a business associate of our spouse. I'm pretty certain the Great British Journalist will find us some more treats.

MattW said:

Prisoners should be put in disused holiday camps, Ann Widdecombe has told the Reform UK conference.

I wonder how that will go down with voters in Clacton, Skegness, Boston and Great Yarmouth ? :wink:

That's the sort of policy where, if Labour proposed it, Reform would deride it as Labour sending prisoners on holiday.
    It was only a few days ago that someone on here was suggesting putting prisoners in hotels, citing the use of hotels for Asylum Seekers as a justification. Maybe someone in Reform is reading PB and harvesting all the dumbest ideas.
    Many, many years ago I stayed in a hotel near Aberdeen that was called, from memory, The Alton Skene Dhu. Or something like that.

It was the most horrendously depressing place I have ever seen. The locals claimed that it was built as a prison, but Human Rights legislation prevented its use. This seemed implausible, since no-one could ever have imagined keeping prisoners in those conditions.

For balance, Sunak did stabalise the economy with Hunt but as seems to be the case now being demonstarted by Starmer, Sunak was very poor at politics
    It is quite interesting how swiftly Labour are starting to look like a pound-shop alternative to a prior joke-shop government.

Treasury - Reeves has only really said that her own sums didn't add up
    Foreign Office - Lammy's not allowed out without a responsible diplomat from another nation alongside him.
    Home Office - wibble, wibble. More uncontrolled immigration than ever before.
    Transport - Money all round, but nobody can get around.
    Defence - HMS Boaty McBoatface has been recalled as it represents the most potent undersea capability currently not in dry dock awaiting condemnation that the RN has.

With that Manhattan trip, they are trying to Rayner their brand.
    Watched The French Connection the other day (great film, car chase overrated) and someone comes out of Ratners early in that but it's a different sort. New York deli.
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,943
    mwadams said:

Reminds me a lot of the start of the Blair government. I didn't like it then either. On the other hand it "seems worse" because "Labour aren't supposed to be like that" and we will all get used to the slow corrosive effect it has and it will deliver diminishing returns.
    I remember the very start of the Blair government. The morning after the GE people were going round with broad smiles (or glum faces depending on their politics), but the optimism was palpable.
  • Starmer to relaunch government by promising a belt and braces approach to corruption

He's hoping that this will cause his critics to zip it.
  • Starmer, Reeves and Rayner will not accept any further donations for clothes

Have we reported this to the police like we did Currygate?
    What has that got to do with Starmer and the cabinet taking tens of thousands of freebies and his mps dismayed at the damage he is inflicting on his party ?
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228

MattW said:

Moving on from Ann's policy, which I can't really judge given the rather scant information, I am a little surprised at the apparent storms of protests that are said to accompany proposed prison building in 'x' poor consitituencies. Why? Successful prison breaks seem vanishingly rare, and if successful, the escapees would hardly be likely to make a protracted nuisance of themselves - it would seem to be the best way to lose their newfound freedom.

Apart from that rare negative, isn't the rest of it pretty much good to very good for the local economy?
    I think most every community objects to prisons in their area
    We had a prison in the middle of Bedford. It caused us no problems at all.
  • stodge said:

stodge said:

He was invited by the raceocurse to attend - his wife was brought up in the area. Should he have refused or found out the cost and paid the racecourse or made a donation to the Injured Jockeys Fund or what?

This was again an invitation, he didn't ask to attend. I simply don't see the issue.

Rishi Sunak went to Catterick races which are in his constituency - do you think he paid or was he invited by the racecourse as the local MP?
    Multi millionaire socialists can afford to choose whether to dip into their own deep pockets

Slalom has chosen unwisely on clothes, specs, Arsenal tickets; he has exposed himself as a blatant hypocrite

And he's falsely declared his and his wife's wardrobes as office expenses

Do you think he should ever now be able to avoid the question 'who paid for that?'?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,455
    The Georgia State Election Board voted on Friday to force counties to hand-count all ballots cast on Election Day, a move critics say could significantly delay the reporting of results in the battleground state and inject chaos into the post-election period.

The new rule, which passed on a 3-2 vote, runs counter to extensive legal advice from the top election official and law enforcement officials in the state.

NY Times
  • rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

Moving on from Ann's policy, which I can't really judge given the rather scant information, I am a little surprised at the apparent storms of protests that are said to accompany proposed prison building in 'x' poor consitituencies. Why? Successful prison breaks seem vanishingly rare, and if successful, the escapees would hardly be likely to make a protracted nuisance of themselves - it would seem to be the best way to lose their newfound freedom.

Apart from that rare negative, isn't the rest of it pretty much good to very good for the local economy?
    The problem seems to be in building new ones
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,603
    mercator said:

Starmer to relaunch government by promising a belt and braces approach to corruption

Before you make cheap jokes about the Prime Minister I think you should walk a mile in his shoes, sorry, Lord Alli's shoes.
    "I would love to still be able to walk a mile, but as Prime Minister I have to make other transport arrangements. I think most people would say 'fair dos' if I get carried in a sedan chair with protective glass."
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228

rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

The problem seems to be in building new ones
    I understand that.

When I lived on Leman Street in East London, we had a halfway house for teens coming out of youth detention centres. They were not great neighbours.
    rcs1000 said:

MattW said:

For every successful escape there are a great many that fail.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,899
    edited September 20
    This Labour government are going to end up being deeply unpopular because they replicate the last Conservative administration so closely. The SNP are surging as a result, even with Swinney as leader.

There is little joy in this for anyone except for the minor parties. Reform, Lib Dems, Greens, SNP will taste blood.

This budget must be the most important for a decade.
    AnneJGP said:

mwadams said:

I remember the very start of the Blair government. The morning after the GE people were going round with broad smiles (or glum faces depending on their politics), but the optimism was palpable.
    Absolutely

Those were the days of Campbell creating rumours about Major tucking his shirt into his underwear. Where we are now you can see the same tactic working against the PM, with added chortledom about who paid for the garments. He is a great comic creation.

stodge said:

No of couse not

As PM he should attend events by invitation in the national interest, but following Arsenal and Taylor Swift concerts are not the same at all
    Where would you class horse racing? It's a national sport but there isn't an England horse racing team for example. The Leger is one of the five classics - I'd argue if the Prime Starmer attended the Grand National or the Derby or Cheltenham Gold Cup these can be considered national sporting events.

I'm trying to understand where the "line" is - the provision of "invitations" to events has happened throughout political history. Prince William went to Taylor Swift - I don't suppose he paid. Was the invitation to Starmer made available only after July 5th or was there a standing invitation to the occupant of No.10 - would Rishi Sunak have attended had he still been Prime Minister, should he?

I'm not bothered about clothes particularly - the point is whether Lord Alli was under any impression the gifts would be advantageous in terms of policy or pursuing a personal political agenda. It's possible to give something and expect nothing in return - most of us do it most of the time. If I donate £500 to the Liberal Democrats, do I expect a say in Party policy? I'd expect a Thank You but that's about it.

The issue isn't the gifts but the pre-election comments from Labour about wanting to "clean up politics" and this looks like hypocrisy and we all love a bit of hypocrisy from our political leaders.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,274

mercator said:

Starmer to relaunch government by promising a belt and braces approach to corruption

Before you make cheap jokes about the Prime Minister I think you should walk a mile in his shoes, sorry, Lord Alli's shoes.
    "I would love to still be able to walk a mile, but as Prime Minister I have to make other transport arrangements. I think most people would say 'fair dos' if I get carried in a sedan chair with protective glass."
    Do you think Starmer uses the phrase "fair dos" normally, or do you think he thought it was something folksy to say?
  • In "That buys a lot of newly-slimline suits" news,

The Conservative leadership contender Robert Jenrick has accepted £75,000 in donations from an indebted company, which received an undisclosed lump sum from an untraceable BVI-listed entity.

The Spott Fitness has no employees, has never made a profit, and its most recent accounts show it owes £332,000, raising questions about the ultimate source of the funds.

https://www.tortoisemedia.com/2024/09/20/robert-jenricks-top-donor-received-loan-from-untraceable-bvi-firm/
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,584
    UK PM Keir Starmer, Angela Rayner and Rachel Reeves will not accept any further donations for clothing after donor row
  • stodge said:

stodge said:

No of couse not

Where would you class horse racing? It's a national sport but there isn't an England horse racing team for example. The Leger is one of the five classics - I'd argue if the Prime Starmer attended the Grand National or the Derby or Cheltenham Gold Cup these can be considered national sporting events.

I'm trying to understand where the "line" is - the provision of "invitations" to events has happened throughout political history. Prince William went to Taylor Swift - I don't suppose he paid. Was the invitation to Starmer made available only after July 5th or was there a standing invitation to the occupant of No.10 - would Rishi Sunak have attended had he still been Prime Minister, should he?

I'm not bothered about clothes particularly - the point is whether Lord Alli was under any impression the gifts would be advantageous in terms of policy or pursuing a personal political agenda. It's possible to give something and expect nothing in return - most of us do it most of the time. If I donate £500 to the Liberal Democrats, do I expect a say in Party policy? I'd expect a Thank You but that's about it.

The issue isn't the gifts but the pre-election comments from Labour about wanting to "clean up politics" and this looks like hypocrisy and we all love a bit of hypocrisy from our political leaders.
    The Prime Minister should be using top sports events to entertain visiting leaders

He shouldn't be wasting time enjoying them
    stodge said:

stodge said:

No of couse not

There's a 2,000,000 gn 2 year old having a maiden run somewhere shortly. Bloodstock is big money and support for the industry is AOK.
  • stodge said:

stodge said:

No of couse not

Snip

Snip
    Alli immediately got a No10 pass with no government job to go with it

Ultimate access with zero accountability

What would LotO Slalom have said about that?
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,899

Scott_xP said:

He's right about the TV licence reminder letter though. Capita send out ever threatening red inked letters that have no legal power, often inaccurate and borderline harassment. They should be ripped up live on every stage in the land.
    They could actually pick up a lot of votes from the renting classes with this. I get a flood of letters every time I move flat, apparently getting raided by a crack TV licensing assault team next week.

stodge said:

stodge said:

Multi millionaire socialists can afford to choose whether to dip into their own deep pockets

Slalom has chosen unwisely on clothes, specs, Arsenal tickets; he has exposed himself as a blatant hypocrite

Do you think he should ever now be able to avoid the question 'who paid for that?'?
    The fact he's a multi millionaire is of no relevance - if he wasn't would it make any difference?

I do agree the hypocrisy looks bad but it never looks good. I'm less bothered about his wife's wardrobe - the role of Prime Minister's "other" has no official status and where she gets her clothes is of little interest to me. As for the Prime Minister, that's different but as I've said elsewhere, it's perfectly possible to give something and expect nothing in return.

That means the issue is false declarations which will be dealt with by Parliament in terms of whether any rules have been broken and any sanction required.

It's strange - we seem to want leaders who are so wealthy they can't be "bought" but it turns out we've not found that particular Croesus as yet.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,308
    Nigelb said:

Unambiguous evidence that there is a market for SMRs, if they can be delivered promptly.

Three Mile Island is pretty knackered, and they are paying top dollar.

BREAKING: BLOCKBUSTER MICROSOFT DATACENTER DEAL RESURRECTING THREE MILE ISLAND NUCLEAR PLANT

Microsoft and nuclear plant owner Constellation have agreed to a massive, unprecedented deal to restart the closed Three Mile Island by 2028 to power its datacenters, per the New York Times.

The deal? Microsoft purchasing as much power as possible from its 880 MW reactor over 20 years for prices rumored to be above $100 per MWh.

Most famous for its 1979 meltdown, TMI closed in 2019 because of cheap fossil fuels and tech companies refusing at the time to consider buying its electricity to meet clean energy goals.

https://x.com/energybants/status/1837087635208294640

Get on with the SMRs, the first buyers might indeed end up being data centres rather than utilities.

As said yesterday, I dislike governments picking winners as much as anyone, but UK Gov should have invested the hell into Rolls Royce SMR tech years ago.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,958

They are not allowed to accept these gifts as they are now in government. There's an irony here. They get beaten up for not following rules that didn't apply to them because they weren't in government but claim credit for doing what they have to do, and were going to do, anyway.
    edited September 20

In "That buys a lot of newly-slimline suits" news,

The Conservative leadership contender Robert Jenrick has accepted £75,000 in donations from an indebted company, which received an undisclosed lump sum from an untraceable BVI-listed entity.

The Spott Fitness has no employees, has never made a profit, and its most recent accounts show it owes £332,000, raising questions about the ultimate source of the funds.

https://www.tortoisemedia.com/2024/09/20/robert-jenricks-top-donor-received-loan-from-untraceable-bvi-firm/

I initially read that as "slime suits" news".
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,011
    edited September 20
    FF43 said:

They are not allowed to accept these gifts as they are now in government. There's an irony here. They get beaten up for not following rules that didn't apply to them because they weren't in government but claim credit for doing what they have to do, and were going to do, anyway.
    It is public perception that is so damaging to them

In "That buys a lot of newly-slimline suits" news,

That's completely different. Surely you can see that?

More seriously I am sure everyone is at it and I would not bet a penny against someone unearthing a Tory MP clothing donee (except statistics is on their side because there's so few of them). But to govern is to be the focus of attention.

A lot of the point is we are looking at small scale administrative incompetence (if SKS had declared the stuff properly and on time we would know north about it) and big picture strategic incompetence (there's nothing to talk about during the interminable phoney war before October 30) as well as coordinated petty dishonesty (lady klouseau's knickers are not an office expense. It's striking that all the recipients made *exactly the same mistake* describing the donations. What are the odds?
    mercator said:

These boots are made for walkin'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM1kzbAgo_E

FF43 said:

Don't worry they have five years to recover.
    mercator said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

No of couse not

There's a 2,000,000 gn 2 year old having a maiden run somewhere shortly. Bloodstock is big money and support for the industry is AOK.
    That would be GALVESTON, a colt by Frankel out of Bizzarria. He went through the Tattersalls ring last autumn and was bought by M V Magnier and is being trained by Aidan O'Brien.

He had his debut yesterday at Naas in a 7 furlong maiden, was backed in to 4/6 favourite and finished last.

He's got a long way to go to get back his price tag but the Coolmore operation can afford the old dud.
  • stodge said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

The fact he's a multi millionaire is of no relevance - if he wasn't would it make any difference?

I do agree the hypocrisy looks bad but it never looks good. I'm less bothered about his wife's wardrobe - the role of Prime Minister's "other" has no official status and where she gets her clothes is of little interest to me. As for the Prime Minister, that's different but as I've said elsewhere, it's perfectly possible to give something and expect nothing in return.

That means the issue is false declarations which will be dealt with by Parliament in terms of whether any rules have been broken and any sanction required.

It's strange - we seem to want leaders who are so wealthy they can't be "bought" but it turns out we've not found that particular Croesus as yet.
    We had one of those fairly recently, didn't we? Thingybob. Eat out to help out. Didn't have an umbrella, despite all his spondoolicks.

Ultimately, the only way to avoid politicians and parties being bought is for the state to buy them up for the nation, like stately homes, and we're collectively unwilling to pay.
    stodge said:

stodge said:

No of couse not

I'm not bothered about clothes particularly - the point is whether Lord Alli was under any impression the gifts would be advantageous
    Downing Street pass for example.

If you don't understand what a good gifts and hospitality policy looks like I suggest you obtain one from an NHS hospital.

Personal gifts are usually a taxable benefit hope SKS has recorded them on his HMRC paperwork.

stodge said:

stodge said:

No of couse not

Snip

Snip
    Alli immediately got a No10 pass with no government job to go with it

Ultimate access with zero accountability

What would LotO Slalom have said about that?
    In the interest of balance I think Cameron let that awful Greensill man set up an actual office in No 10. It's fascinating what OEdom let's you get away with.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,230
    lol @ FreeGearKier

What a pointlessly damaging and avoidable debacle
    It's amazing that a Government with such a huge majority is already mired in controversies and according to some polls in the 20s for VI

stodge said:

stodge said:

No of couse not

I'm not bothered about clothes particularly - the point is whether Lord Alli was under any impression the gifts would be advantageous

If you don't understand what a good gifts and hospitality policy looks like I suggest you obtain one from an NHS hospital.

Personal gifts are usually a taxable benefit hope SKS has recorded them on his HMRC paperwork.
    The Conservative Party need to report this to HMRC and the police. Durham Constabulary and GMP will be amenable to investigate.
  • BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,695
    edited September 20
    stodge said:

mercator said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

No of couse not

That would be GALVESTON, a colt by Frankel out of Bizzarria. He went through the Tattersalls ring last autumn and was bought by M V Magnier and is being trained by Aidan O'Brien.

He had his debut yesterday at Naas in a 7 furlong maiden, was backed in to 4/6 favourite and finished last.

He's got a long way to go to get back his price tag but the Coolmore operation can afford the old dud.
    He's no Snaafi Dancer

"Snaafi Dancer (foaled February 25, 1982) is a Thoroughbred racehorse who was the first yearling to sell for more than US$10 million ($31.2 million in current dollars)

--

Snaafi Dancer never raced. It was reported that he was so slow in training that it would have been embarrassing to run him in public.
    He was retired to stud duty where he was discovered to have fertility problems. From two years of breeding, he sired only four foals, three of which raced with very limited success. Snaafi Dancer was last reported as being at a farm in Florida."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snaafi_Dancer
    stodge said:

mercator said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

No of couse not

So, nice money for Tatts even if he goes to Ireland

I like horses but don't have much interest in racing but there's footage of Frankel turning on the afterburners which almost brings tears to my eyes

stodge said:

Sporting events he has to attend as PM eg ENG v IRE the other day with the tea sock or whoever, sure

Arsenal tickets, entitled prick should pay for his own security
    FPT:

The amazing thing is that there’s other ways to do it.

He buys a seat and pays for it himself. A couple of policemen also need seats next to him, which are either charged to the security budget or paid by the club. A couple more policemen are close by but standing up, they have no need for tickets. He arrives right at the kickoff and leaves a couple of minutes early, hiding in a police room or other quiet place during half time. All perfectly doable with a little planning.

That he doesn’t see the optics of accepting a free £10k/match hospitality box, suggests that he’s very much putting the Champagne back into Champagne Socialism, which is going to go down like a cup of cold sick with the elctorate once everyone else’s taxes start going up while the upper echelons of the Party are living like kings.

FF43 said:

4 years and 36 weeks .maximum.

Also when negativity sets in its difficult to recover and when most of the Tories in that 9.5m who voted for him go home don't come looking for traditional Labour votes they have gone for a long time
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,958

FF43 said:

There is a discussion to be had on how you manage public perception. Might be more interesting for a politics site than the tedious "Starmer is shit" takes repeated ad nauseam on here.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,268
    As a Labour chap, I'm not happy about Starmer and freebygate - I think he's made an error(s). However, before people get too excited, I recommend a cursory look through the Register of Members' Interests. That reveals, unsurprisingly, that MPs of all parties benefit from being on the gravy train, with largesse being doled out in various forms, including 'hospitality', to wealthy MPs who aren't even known in their own party, by various commercial companies - gambling companies are very keen on this, for example. Because these are declared it's not anything like as egregious as the expenses scandal, but it's something the Standards Watchdog (or whatever it's called these days) may wish to take a look at.
    I'm not defending Starmer - he should set a (good) example.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,378

FF43 said:

4 years and 36 weeks .maximum.

Also when negativity sets in its difficult to recover and when most of the Tories in that 9.5m who voted for him go home don't come looking for traditional Labour votes they have gone for a long time
    Well that's your political aspirations well and truly f*cked then.
  • stodge said:

stodge said:

No of couse not

The Conservative Party need to report this to HMRC and the police. Durham Constabulary and GMP will be amenable to investigate.
    I don't think the conservative party need to do anything but sit back as Labour self combust
    stodge said:

stodge said:

No of couse not

It’s really simple. Does the politician have a role at the event or not?

If he’s there to present a trophy to the winner, or is there entertaining a visiting dignitary, then no problem.

If he’s just there of his own accord, or for political reasons, then it needs to be declared.

stodge said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

We had one of those fairly recently, didn't we? Thingybob. Eat out to help out. Didn't have an umbrella, despite all his spondoolicks.

Ultimately, the only way to avoid politicians and parties being bought is for the state to buy them up for the nation, like stately homes, and we're collectively unwilling to pay.
    There's an interesting question running through all this.

To what extent are MPs, Councillors or any elected representatives "public servants" ?

The "rules" for civil servants and local Government officers are quite clear in terms of hospitality and the relationship with Contractors and others and I believe there are protocols for Councillors when dealing with contract awards but what of MPs?

The Expenses Scandal showed the weakness of the previous regime but should elected MPs be subject to the same rules as local Government Officers? The rules for a backbencher or an opposition MP don't need to be as stringent as those for a Minister who has significant decision-making powers but then so does the Leader of a County Council so how do we align these safeguards to ensure we have as much transparency as possible?

I don't have a problem with MPs accepting and declaring "freebies" and as I've said already, people often give something without expecting something in return. The problem starts when the declaration process isn't properly adhered to and more when there is the slightest suspicion the donor expects something "in return".
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,943

It's amazing that a Government with such a huge majority is already mired in controversies and according to some polls in the 20s for VI

Let's hope they are going to reverse the usual pattern - instead of starting well and sliding down, they'll recover from this dismal start and go on to great things for the country.

stodge said:

mercator said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

No of couse not

He's no Snaafi Dancer

"Snaafi Dancer (foaled February 25, 1982) is a Thoroughbred racehorse who was the first yearling to sell for more than US$10 million ($31.2 million in current dollars)

--

Snaafi Dancer never raced. It was reported that he was so slow in training that it would have been embarrassing to run him in public.
    He was retired to stud duty where he was discovered to have fertility problems. From two years of breeding, he sired only four foals, three of which raced with very limited success. Snaafi Dancer was last reported as being at a farm in Florida."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snaafi_Dancer
    Golly

I googled this horse and found he has his own Wikipedia page

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summoner_(horse)

My point being he won a classic by accident, turned out sterile, and was eventually bought by a friend of mine for £1 (one pound) as a hack. Nice little horse but whenever you travelled him in a trailer he managed to pull at least one shoe off.
    Those shirts Ali was getting SKS were far too tight looked like he could Buster Blood Vessel at any minute.

Suppose it would have been Bad Manners to complain
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,268
    Meanwhile, I read that Farage has said that bigots and racists are not welcome in the Reform Party. If he's serious, he should start by expelling Lee Anderson.
    Seriously.

stodge said:

stodge said:

No of couse not

I don't think the conservative party need to do anything but sit back as Labour self combust
    General Election now! We need a corruption -free Jenrick-Farage coalition. Peter Wright/Mossad where are you when we need you?
    On a complete tangent.

RIP Tony Soper.
  • Tim_in_RuislipTim_in_Ruislip Posts: 400
    edited September 20
    Important FT opinion view;

“The killers of Sander Thoenes have yet to face justice”

“On the anniversary of his death, we salute all those journalists determined to report the truth despite the risks — of which he was such a fine example.”

Unfortunately I can’t link/paste/share the full article.

Those shirts Ali was getting SKS were far too tight looked like he could Buster Blood Vessel at any minute.

Suppose it would have been Bad Manners to complain

Although it did encourage all but SKS fans to shout lip up fatty at him
  • I am guessing the usual Starmer bashers have been all over this story?

Wait, no?

Robert Jenrick, who is the favourite to be the next Conservative party leader, received £75,000 from a firm which has no employees, has never made a profit and has £332,000 in debts after taking a loan from an untraceable British Virgin Islands company

https://x.com/AdamBienkov/status/1837200185908142202

stodge said:

stodge said:

No of couse not

Last thing Conservatives want is for SKS to go anywhere.

Meanwhile, I read that Farage has said that bigots and racists are not welcome in the Reform Party. If he's serious, he should start by expelling Lee Anderson.
    Seriously.

...and himself. What about the Farage Riots? Who posted Andrew Tate bullshit that set the wheels in motion for Holiday Inns being set on fire.
    stodge said:

On a complete tangent.

RIP Tony Soper.

95 not a bad innings mind

Wait, no?

Robert Jenrick, who is the favourite to be the next Conservative party leader, received £75,000 from a firm which has no employees, has never made a profit and has £332,000 in debts after taking a loan from an untraceable British Virgin Islands company

I hope it scuppers his leadership bid

You know you want his support to go to Kemi

I am guessing the usual Starmer bashers have been all over this story?

Wait, no?

Opposition backbencher. Limelight is limelight.
  • Does PB have any Jenrickators?

MattW said:

Many, many years ago I stayed in a hotel near Aberdeen that was called, from memory, The Alton Skene Dhu. Or something like that.

It was the most horrendously depressing place I have ever seen. The locals claimed that it was built as a prison, but Human Rights legislation prevented its use. This seemed implausible, since no-one could ever have imagined keeping prisoners in those conditions.
    The old Oxford prison is now an hotel. It’s much nicer!

https://www.malmaison.com/locations/oxford/

Wait, no?

I hope it scuppers his leadership bid

You know you want his support to go to Kemi
    Trouble is that leadership campaigns aren't cheap.

A focus on probity and why donors are donating may not play out to the advantage of the next Leader of the Opposition.