Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The latest Tory leadership betting – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,761

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Stride and Tugendhat - irrelevant

Cleverly, Badenoch and Patel - hopelessly flawed in different ways but each has one strong point compared with the others

Jenrick is just bad. Bad for the country in the unlikely event a Conservative Party led by him gets into power. But bad I think for the Conservatives too. He is naturally the favourite to win.

What are the respective strong points of Cleverly, Badenoch and Patel?
    Cleverly - relatively normal person compared with the others. The safe choice when maybe they don't need a safe choice
    Badenoch - clever debater. Will challenge the Labour Party
    Patel - Willingness to face up to the problems with the party. What it actually needs right now.
    Badenoch will rally the troops, but when the country is looking for opposition on the economy, education and NHS, will she get side-tracked on cultural stuff (which is super important, but not something that scores at the top of concerns for many voters)?
    More likely just go missing.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,781

tlg86 said:

The Democrat convention looking very Sheffield, 1992.

Well, alright!
    Apparently the Harris campaign signed up 15k volunteers in Florida since Monday, so … yes.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649

Trump now focusing on calling the VP, "Comrade Kamala".

He was tweeting this out the other day:
    Not sure he was wise to: some smart aleck in the Dems will inevitably retaliate by putting Trump at a Nuremberg rally.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,517
    Sandpit said:

kjh said:

MattW said:

CCTV of Bayesian yacht going down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws2ZuiNCFOg

(Not brilliant quality)

Has @Luckyguy1983 opined yet on the probability of two individuals who humiliated the US tech industry dying in two freak accidents within days of each other?
    Yes, I think it reeks.
    You think the global elite conjured up a tornado/waterspout off the coast of Sicily, maybe?
    Foul play, however complicatedly and expensively contrived, seems considerably more probable than the natural mini-disaster you suggest. Eliminate the impossible and all that.
    You do understand, don't you, that improbable things happen all the time. In fact they have to. The probability of you winning the lottery (assuming you have bought a ticket) is immensely improbable, but it happens most weeks to someone. So unlikely events happen all the time. You only notice them when they do. Not all the times that they don't. You don't walk around going I just noticed a lot of improbable things not happening. Once they do happen the probability is no longer very very small but 1 and occasionally that happens.

There is no way that humans can contrive a waterspout to destroy a massive yacht. Yet you think that is more probable. And why would they even if they could. It is much easier to contrive a scenario where he falls out of a window, gets food poisoning or knocked down by a car.

The latter of course is what happened to his colleague. Now that is much easier to contrive, but of course it is also an event that is more probable to happen anyway. For both events to happen so close together is improbable, but we are back to the issue before which is:

Improbable events happen all the time. You notice improbable events happening. You don't notice the vastly more improbable events not happening.
    Derren Brown taught me probability.

Still love the film of him tossing a coin heads 10 times in a row.
    Yes I remember that. And damn it another post that says what I said better and in many many less words.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,275
    mercator said:

kamski said:

Nigelb said:

The NYT “fact checking” convention speech gag lines would be quite funny if they were doing it as satire.
    https://x.com/JamesFallows/status/1826301237144199352

But what is Pritzker's point? That we should value billionaires' opinions more than anyone else's? Are Democrats saying the Republicans may have been taken over by rich anti-democratic oligarchs, but don't worry we've got just as many billionaires on our side?
    Gov. Pritzker's point is that saying Trump is a really a rich guy (or a really rich guy) is phoney baloney.
    Call me petit bourgeois if you will but to me a Boeing 757 says rich. It may be on a payment plan but lenders are usually not shy about repossession if payment is not kept up.

Funny (or not) coming from a guy who sends love notes to commies such as Xi and Kim, and gives frequent oral relief to neo-commie & DJT bestie Mad Vlad.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,349
    kjh said:

Sandpit said:

kjh said:

MattW said:

CCTV of Bayesian yacht going down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws2ZuiNCFOg

(Not brilliant quality)

Has @Luckyguy1983 opined yet on the probability of two individuals who humiliated the US tech industry dying in two freak accidents within days of each other?
    Yes, I think it reeks.
    You think the global elite conjured up a tornado/waterspout off the coast of Sicily, maybe?
    Foul play, however complicatedly and expensively contrived, seems considerably more probable than the natural mini-disaster you suggest. Eliminate the impossible and all that.
    You do understand, don't you, that improbable things happen all the time. In fact they have to. The probability of you winning the lottery (assuming you have bought a ticket) is immensely improbable, but it happens most weeks to someone. So unlikely events happen all the time. You only notice them when they do. Not all the times that they don't. You don't walk around going I just noticed a lot of improbable things not happening. Once they do happen the probability is no longer very very small but 1 and occasionally that happens.

There is no way that humans can contrive a waterspout to destroy a massive yacht. Yet you think that is more probable. And why would they even if they could. It is much easier to contrive a scenario where he falls out of a window, gets food poisoning or knocked down by a car.

The latter of course is what happened to his colleague. Now that is much easier to contrive, but of course it is also an event that is more probable to happen anyway. For both events to happen so close together is improbable, but we are back to the issue before which is:

Improbable events happen all the time. You notice improbable events happening. You don't notice the vastly more improbable events not happening.
    Derren Brown taught me probability.

Still love the film of him tossing a coin heads 10 times in a row.
    Yes I remember that. And damn it another post that says what I said better and in many many less words.
    It’s a real coin, and the camera doesn’t cut.

I’ve shown that film to so many people, and none of them get that
    what they’re actually watching is the last 20 seconds of a film that was ten hours long
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,742

I think Walz's "Donald Dump" more likely to stick.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,611
    edited August 21

Funny (or not) coming from a guy who sends love notes to commies such as Xi and Kim, and gives frequent oral relief to neo-commie & DJT bestie Mad Vlad.
    Does it follow from this that you see Jan 6th as an attempted communist revolution?
  • No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,389

The thing is Trump has a very short attention span and so will be calling her something else next week.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,567
    Eabhal said:

tlg86 said:

Well, alright!
    American conventions are always ridiculously upbeat hyper entertainment rather than 'composite motion x'.
    Unless it's the RNC one, which resembled an auction at a wake.
    Bravo for "auction at a wake", which is a wonderful image, all the better for sounding like the title of John Peel's latest fave indie pop single.

Also works as a description of the Conservative Leadership Election.

Does it follow from this that you see Jan 6th as an attempted communist revolution?
    Don't be silly.

Communist revolutions are usually better organised, and feature workers not unemployed losers in cow costumes.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,028
    Good evening

Does anyone know what on earth Chelsea are doing in the transfer market with apparently over 40 players and signing more on contracts upto 9 years in length, whilst having a squad of only 21 players and seemingly in chaos

Indeed Chelsea players apparently have 197 years of contracts

Sterling has had his number 7 shirt taken from him and told he is not part of any squad

I have no idea how this conforms to fair play rules or even makes sense

I do not support Chelsea thankfully but it surely cannot go on
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    tlg86 said:

All of Trumps rallies since 2016 have been Sheffield 1992 homages, except for the most recent crowd- free events.

tlg86 said:

All of Trumps rallies since 2016 have been Sheffield 1992 homages, except for the most recent crowd- free events.
    The Sheffield rally didn't have the YMCA soundtrack.
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

Except Trump has far higher negatives than Major 1992 did
    And the convention looks nothing like Sheffield 1992.
    (Apart from anything else, it’s massively more professional in terms of media values.)

I get that it might look hubristic to our eyes, but I really don’t think that’s how it comes across in the US.
    No doubt @SeaShantyIrish2 will weigh in on that.
    Weighing in to say, that US national political conventions are NOT one-off one-day deals, but multi-day quadrennial events, and have been since 1831 when the (saddly defunct*) Anti-Masonic Party held the first one on this side of the Atlantic (and Pacific).

Both 2024 Republican and Democratic National Conventions very tame in comparison to mid-and-late 19th century, and early-to-mid 20th. When the convention itself was truly THE decider of who(m) got POTUS and VP nomination.

In last half-century, national convention have morphed into totally made-for-TV infomercials, with two major strategic purposes and target audiences: base party & candidate supporters; and b) Independent and otherwise undecided voters. Goal is to rev-up the former, getting them volunteering, donating AND actually voting; and to persuade the latter, either positively toward their canidate(s) or negatively versus the opposition.

I see the point about Manchester, judging (from afar) based on bombast and hoopla. HOWEVER, actually Sheffield Rally 1992 is FAR removed from Chicago DNC 2024:

> Shefield Rally was one-day, whereas Chicago DNC occurs over four days.
    > former took place on the eve of UK GE, while latter is months ahead of (even) early voting in US.
    ydoethur said:

Not sure he was wise to: some smart aleck in the Dems will inevitably retaliate by putting Trump at a Nuremberg rally.
    I doubt it.
    They already have Jan 6th, or Charlottesville; it would be a waste of effort.

I don’t think the GOP attacks are landing, as they’re obvious nonsense unless you’re a true believer. Comrade Bernie, perhaps; Kamala… no.

And Trump’s just flailing around, in the hope something connects.

tlg86 said:

Perhaps that's where Kinnock went wrong.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273

Good evening

Does anyone know what on earth Chelsea are doing in the transfer market with apparently over 40 players and signing more on contracts upto 9 years in length, whilst having a squad of only 21 players and seemingly in chaos

Sterling has had his number 7 shirt taken from him and told he is not part of any squad

TIL that Romelu Lukaku is a Chelsea player still. Apparently.

Good evening

Am so wrapped up in politics right now (even more than per usual) that at first blush, thought you were talking about "what on earth Chelsea CLINTON is doing".

tlg86 said:

"Young man, I was once in your shoes"

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,429

tlg86 said:

Would have been worth another 2%
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,261
    So, Kennedy pulls out since it wasn't helping his fellow nutjob. What a surprise.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,215
    Cookie said:

MattW said:

Creative.

Philip Hoban, of Northcote Crescent in Leeds, was then said to have imitated the manner in which Muslim people pray, in "order to mock their religion", Judge Kearl added.

The court was told Hoban had been making slurs referencing Allah.

He denied this in a police interview, instead saying he was chanting about a man called "Alan".

(The phrase shouted by the crowd was "who the f*ck is Allah?")
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c0rwzr4egp0o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaPepCVepCg

I assume he did other stuff and as usual the headline is missing something, but is mocking religion not permitted?

Someone had better tell the Monty Python crew [although admittedly they didn't do their stuff outside Westminster Abbey].
    Yes, while that all sounds unpleasant behaviour, none of it sounds criminal.
    And religion is bloody stupid and ought to be mocked. The more sincerely it is believed in, the greater the importance of freedom to mock it.
    I get the general feeling that many people may have silently come to the conclusion it is better not to discuss these things in a public forum, at least for the time being. However, if we are at the stage where mocking religion is a criminal offence, then it is reasonable to conclude that the 'liberal establishment' are an existential danger to western civilisation. It is not a big leap from this to move to the position that the alternatives to the liberal establishment, however unpleasant they are, are worth trying.
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

I doubt it.

I don’t think the GOP attacks are landing, as they’re obvious nonsense unless you’re a true believer. Comrade Bernie, perhaps; Kamala… no.

Funny, that's what Stormy said...
    Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Well, alright!
    Apparently the Harris campaign signed up 15k volunteers in Florida since Monday, so … yes.
    Your regular reminder there is an abortion amendment on the ballot in Florida. Increases motivation of Dem activists and voters.

tlg86 said:

I preferred the Native American to the Cortina driving Sales Rep. character.

I hate to confess this but the young Mandelson bears a remarkable similarity to the very much younger svelte Mexicanpete, even down to the Village People moustache. Perhaps that is why I have subliminally gone for the fat old bastard look in later life.

• EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,911
    edited August 21

From the wall to wall coverage of the sunk yacht, it seems that BLM stands for Billionaires Lives Matter.

If this had been a fishing boat or a cargo ship, 30 second news report.

Or indeed some migrants. There are some estimates of 30,000 dead or missing in the Med over the last 10 years.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018

From the wall to wall coverage of the sunk yacht, it seems that BLM stands for Billionaires Lives Matter.

I can understand it getting some attention, but the wall to wall coverage has been ridiculous.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,539

But... fishermen are the little people. Barely even worth a 30 minute 1-2-1 interview on a prime-time news show. This guy was rich enough to go to the same parties as my executive producer. Important people.

(Sorry - I've spent > 6hrs in zoom today talking about p*sh. I'm in a cynical frame of mind.)
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,507

Makes a nice break from Taylor Swift news.

I am not sure about that because in this case it raises serious questions about similar vessels, their design and safety, and of course tragedies such as this also put in peril those who go to their rescue and lessons need to be learnt

I do not see it as a rich man's story, but more a nautical one but then I and my family have many connections with the sea and family members lost at sea
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,332
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Well, alright!
    Your regular reminder there is an abortion amendment on the ballot in Florida. Increases motivation of Dem activists and voters.
    Also a very significant percentage of all US veterans live in Florida and those Medal of Honor comments caused real irritation.
    darkage said:

Cookie said:

MattW said:

Creative.

Philip Hoban, of Northcote Crescent in Leeds, was then said to have imitated the manner in which Muslim people pray, in "order to mock their religion", Judge Kearl added.

He denied this in a police interview, instead saying he was chanting about a man called "Alan".

I assume he did other stuff and as usual the headline is missing something, but is mocking religion not permitted?

Someone had better tell the Monty Python crew [although admittedly they didn't do their stuff outside Westminster Abbey].
    And religion is bloody stupid and ought to be mocked. The more sincerely it is believed in, the greater the importance of freedom to mock it.
    I get the general feeling that many people may have silently come to the conclusion it is better not to discuss these things in a public forum, at least for the time being. However, if we are at the stage where mocking religion is a criminal offence, then it is reasonable to conclude that the 'liberal establishment' are an existential danger to western civilisation. It is not a big leap from this to move to the position that the alternatives to the liberal establishment, however unpleasant they are, are worth trying.
    The problem is not religion so much as there is a certain kind of bright eyed* holy men who could turn any creed into light, recreational genocide.

This is why I toy with the idea of Unitarian Fundamentalism.

But then I remember that some idiot will take it seriously.

*i alway imagined the “bright eyes” meant something like

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

I doubt it.

It's quite fascinating watching it from afar. He's beginning to remind me of one of those battery-powered yapping dog toys who's got stuck in the corner and just keeps, bafflingly, battering forward a step - BARK - back a step -BARK - forward a step - ....
    kinabalu said:

So, Kennedy pulls out since it wasn't helping his fellow nutjob. What a surprise.

Wasn't he angling for a piece of the Democrat action not three weeks ago, but they blew him out?
    Eabhal said:

Or indeed some migrants. There are some estimates of 30,000 dead or missing in the Med over the last 10 years.
    They’re not all missing. The Libyan Coastguard have found lots. And kept them.
    Eabhal said:

The Zico sank in Mozambique on April 7th with the loss of over 100 lives.

I wonder how many people on here were even aware of it? I don't recall any news reports.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,769
    DougSeal said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

(Apart from anything else, it’s massively more professional in terms of media values.)

I get that it might look hubristic to our eyes, but I really don’t think that’s how it comes across in the US.
    They all look like that. Every 4 years. Kinnock’s mistake was trying to make his rally look like an American convention, which was off putting to our eyes. In the US this is par for the course.
    There's precious little evidence that the Sheffield rally had any effect on the election anyway, either positive or negative. People looked around for a reason Labour lost unexpectedly and couldn't think of anything else.

Personally I doubt it shifted many if any votes at all.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018

I am not sure about that because in this case it raises serious questions about similar vessels, their design and safety, and of course tragedies such as this also put in peril those who go to their rescue and lessons need to be learnt

I do not see it as a rich man's story, but more a nautical one but then I and my family have many connections with the sea and family members lost at sea
    But it's hardly the Herald of Free Enterprise, is it?
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528
    Fishing said:

DougSeal said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

They all look like that. Every 4 years. Kinnock’s mistake was trying to make his rally look like an American convention, which was off putting to our eyes. In the US this is par for the course.
    There's precious little evidence that the Sheffield rally had any effect on the election anyway, either positive or negative. People looked around for a reason Labour lost unexpectedly and couldn't think of anything else.

Personally I doubt it shifted many if any votes at all.
    Could have moved some otherwise non-voters into action

• CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,456

darkage said:

Cookie said:

MattW said:

Creative.

The problem is not religion so much as there is a certain kind of bright eyed* holy men who could turn any creed into light, recreational genocide.

This is why I toy with the idea of Unitarian Fundamentalism.

But then I remember that some idiot will take it seriously.

*i alway imagined the “bright eyes” meant something like

Well, given how the Unitarians were persecuted by Tories and Anglicans, one might have expected ... but no, they did boring things like found successful businesses and pay for art galleries and soup kitchens.

Good evening

The long contracts are to do with FFP rules, to amortised the signing fee over a longer period.

I have watched Enzo-ball for the last season and Maresca has a very definite system that he stick to, with an inverted right fullback, and playing out from the back with a goalie playing with his feet. Some players simply don't suit his system so will be redundant. Either to be sold or loaned out. He will need a UEFA cup team too.

It does make a mockery of teams like mine, Forest etc getting points deduction while the "big six" get off Scotland free.

The thing is Trump has a very short attention span and so will be calling her something else next week.
    Has there been any reports of how the funding is going between the two? I'd imagine there must be people who'd have funded MAGA at least thinking 'hrmmmmm...' at this stage before signing a cheque.
    edited August 21
    ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

I wonder how many people on here were even aware of it? I don't recall any news reports.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/08/mozambique-ferry-disaster-sinking-death-toll-nampula-province

But not to deny your basic point, and SandyR's.

Even the number of fisherfolk drowned in the UK is too many.
    edited August 21
    tlg86 said:

It is loss of life at sea and we have lost family members at sea for their bodies never to be recovered and their widows wondering if they may walk through the door again someday

All lives at sea matter and indeed is why our son is following his family connections by becoming the helm of Llandudno lifeboat and risking his own and his crews lives to save others
    ohnotnow said:

But... fishermen are the little people. Barely even worth a 30 minute 1-2-1 interview on a prime-time news show. This guy was rich enough to go to the same parties as my executive producer. Important people.

(Sorry - I've spent > 6hrs in zoom today talking about p*sh. I'm in a cynical frame of mind.)
    Also: given that an increasing number of UK fisherfolk are from what one used to call the third world, the comparison might be extended further ...
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,965
    kinabalu said:

Who canned Kennedy? Was it the man himself or his supposed running mate with the GoogleDosh ?

tlg86 said:

It is loss of life at sea and we have lost family members at sea for their bodies never to be recovered and their widows wondering if they may walk through the door again someday

All lives at sea matter and indeed is why our son is following his family connections by becoming the helm of Llandudno lifeboat and risking his own and his crews life to save others
    Indeed. And it must be a relief not to have to worry if HMG is going to prosecute him for saving the Wrong Kind of People At Sea.
    FF43 said:

kinabalu said:

Who canned Kennedy? Was it the man himself or his supposed running mate with the GoogleDosh ?
    I thought it was Lee Harvey Oswald?

Exactly.

AND talk about The Great Equalizer. Including in this case that, unlike most of the time when big fishing boats or cargo ships sink, the rich owner is among the casualties.

Am thinking less about fat cats, and more about "The Perfect Storm" AND "Captains Courageous".
    Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

All lives at sea matter and indeed is why our son is following his family connections by becoming the helm of Llandudno lifeboat and risking his own and his crews life to save others
    Indeed. And it must be a relief not to have to worry if HMG is going to prosecute him for saving the Wrong Kind of People At Sea.
    He nor the crews never gave it a moments though

Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

He nor the crews never gave it a moments though
    Good for them. But even so, just the risk of prosecution and a criminal record ...
    ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

kinabalu said:

I thought it was Lee Harvey Oswald?
    That's what the want you to think...
    ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

You'll be asking about the wars in Sudan or Myanmar next. Madness. The media is like a lighthouse with gooped up bearings - can only shine a light on one thing at a time and quite often gets stuck.

Write out 300 times - "The news is : Yacht rich people, Gaza, possibly Ukraine at a pinch if they put on a show."

(And obviously a feature or two based on the producers current hobby/interests)

Foxy said:

Good evening

The long contracts are to do with FFP rules, to amortised the signing fee over a longer period.

I have watched Enzo-ball for the last season and Maresca has a very definite system that he stick to, with an inverted right fullback, and playing out from the back with a goalie playing with his feet. Some players simply don't suit his system so will be redundant. Either to be sold or loaned out. He will need a UEFA cup team too.

It does make a mockery of teams like mine, Forest etc getting points deduction while the "big six" get off Scotland free.
    It does make you wonder what incentive a player has who is guaranteed a 7 to 9 year contract to bother if he becomes a fringe player
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/apr/08/mozambique-ferry-disaster-sinking-death-toll-nampula-province

That is a subject very close to our family and through the generations
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

Britons were involved, which always draws interest.

I remember the Leicester Mercury's local angle on the Bali bombing: "Bali bomb kills 200, Leicester family flies home with holiday ruined."
    ohnotnow said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

You'll be asking about the wars in Sudan or Myanmar next. Madness. The media is like a lighthouse with gooped up bearings - can only shine a light on one thing at a time and quite often gets stuck.

Write out 300 times - "The news is : Yacht rich people, Gaza, possibly Ukraine at a pinch if they put on a show."

One can always tell the ones with huntin estate in Scotland - furious diatribes about land access proposals, deer control, revolting islanders/tenants, Commie stuff like that.

But it can be a lot closer to home. London commuter trains, and, in the Fleet Street days, a remarkable interest in the Cannon Street to Petts Wood services (that being where a lot of hacks settled).
  • mercatormercator Posts: 815

Epic Spartism

95% of the English population of 4 million live at subsistence level and die before 40, but here's these rich Londoners flocking to a play about the first world problems of this nepo Danish poshboi.

I apologise if I am wrong and you have a history of drawing attention to all these drowned fishermen prior to them becoming rhetorically relevant.

Foxy said:

Good evening

It does make you wonder what incentive a player has who is guaranteed a 7 to 9 year contract to bother if he becomes a fringe player
    Oh, he'll always be employed in Edinburgh for a month a year. Given the stuff people put out already, he can't be any worse.

tlg86 said:

All lives at sea matter and indeed is why our son is following his family connections by becoming the helm of Llandudno lifeboat and risking his own and his crews lives to save others
    Kudos and Blessings to your son, even IF some of the folk he saves do NOT know how to pronounce "LLandudno" properly.

As for the missing at sea, very similar re: missing in war, particularly the wondering that a lost loved one might actually still be alive, wondering if they might walk through the door one day, and fearing that they are still in grave misfortune. I know from my own family, how this affects people - especially mothers, sisters, daughters.

Something that most folks don't really understand UNLESS they experience it.
    Carnyx said:

ohnotnow said:

Also: given that an increasing number of UK fisherfolk are from what one used to call the third world, the comparison might be extended further ...
    The BBC (to their credit) did this piece the other day on that subject :

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cd9dnk34k41o

Dozens of workers from around the world may have been trafficked into the UK to work for a small family-owned Scottish fishing firm, a BBC investigation has revealed.

Thirty-five men from the Philippines, Ghana, India and Sri Lanka were recognised as victims of modern slavery by the Home Office after being referred to it between 2012 and 2020.

The workers were employed by TN Trawlers and its sister companies, owned by the Nicholson family, based in the small town of Annan on the southern coast of Scotland.

The TN Group denied any allegation of modern slavery or human trafficking and said its workers were well treated and well paid.

---

I for one entirely believe them.

Foxy said:

Good evening

I agree, having seen enough duff signings over the years to not want anyone on more than 3 years.
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Good evening

I agree, having seen enough duff signings over the years to not want anyone on more than 3 years.
    Antony at Man Utd is a classic
    Funniest news story of the day, for me anyway.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/08/21/rioter-who-skipped-court-to-holiday-in-dubai-is-jailed/

A rioter who skipped court to go on a week-long birthday holiday to Dubai has been jailed.

“Perrie Fisher, 29, was criticised by a judge for his “cavalier attitude” to justice as he sentenced him to two years and five months for his violent conduct outside an asylum seeker hotel.

“Winchester Crown Court was told Fisher wore an England flag as he threw a scooter and bicycle wheels and kicked footballs at the windows of the building, shouting abuse at migrants.

“Fisher, a father of one, did not react as he was sentenced after admitting charges of violent disorder and failing to surrender himself at court.

“He had flown to Dubai despite being charged for his role in the violence that took place outside Potters International Hotel, Aldershot, Hants, on July 31, two days after the Southport killings.”

So much to unpack there. Starting with Potters Hotel, once the annual scene of the darts world championship, now being used to house asylum-seekers, and finishing with who the f*** goes on holiday to Dubai in August?
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,911
    edited August 21
    ohnotnow said:

Carnyx said:

ohnotnow said:

Dozens of workers from around the world may have been trafficked into the UK to work for a small family-owned Scottish fishing firm, a BBC investigation has revealed.

Thirty-five men from the Philippines, Ghana, India and Sri Lanka were recognised as victims of modern slavery by the Home Office after being referred to it between 2012 and 2020.

The workers were employed by TN Trawlers and its sister companies, owned by the Nicholson family, based in the small town of Annan on the southern coast of Scotland.

The TN Group denied any allegation of modern slavery or human trafficking and said its workers were well treated and well paid.

---

Having a friend in the Merchant Navy is a real eye-opener. All sorts of absolutely horrific stuff happens to these people, particularly to those from the Philippines. Flattened under containers, tossed overboard, life-changing burns and so on.
    ohnotnow said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

It’s not just that he was rich - though that’s a part of it.
    It’s that he’d only just won his freedom after the legal proceedings in the US, and was campaigning to amend the ridiculously unbalanced extradition laws, so had become a bit of a public figure.

It wouldn’t have seen half as much coverage had it just been the poor old banker guy.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,354
    FF43 said:

kinabalu said:

Are there any links? It doesn't appear on his Twitter account.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910

Foxy said:

Good evening

I think the vast majority love playing football and want to play, but there will always be some happy to take the money.
    He’s seen the tapes.
    “BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA...”
    https://x.com/RpsAgainstTrump/status/1826330337275703424
    Eabhal said:

ohnotnow said:

Carnyx said:

ohnotnow said:

---

Having a friend in the Merchant Navy is a real eye-opener. All sorts of absolutely horrific stuff happens to these people, particularly to those from the Philippines. Flattened under containers, tossed overboard, life-changing burns and so on.
    Even the Red Funnel to the Isle of Wight is staffed by Filipino sailors now. It seems very difficult to recruit Britons to these jobs nowadays.
    Carnyx said:

ohnotnow said:

But isn’t that because native U.K.ians are too lazy to get up off their piles of £50 notes (benefits) and be slave labour on death traps where the centre of gravity and the centre of buoyancy are a bit too friendly?
    Sandpit said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/08/21/rioter-who-skipped-court-to-holiday-in-dubai-is-jailed/

A rioter who skipped court to go on a week-long birthday holiday to Dubai has been jailed.

“Perrie Fisher, 29, was criticised by a judge for his “cavalier attitude” to justice as he sentenced him to two years and five months for his violent conduct outside an asylum seeker hotel.

“Winchester Crown Court was told Fisher wore an England flag as he threw a scooter and bicycle wheels and kicked footballs at the windows of the building, shouting abuse at migrants.

“Fisher, a father of one, did not react as he was sentenced after admitting charges of violent disorder and failing to surrender himself at court.

“He had flown to Dubai despite being charged for his role in the violence that took place outside Potters International Hotel, Aldershot, Hants, on July 31, two days after the Southport killings.”

So much to unpack there. Starting with Potters Hotel, once the annual scene of the darts world championship, now being used to house asylum-seekers, and finishing with who the f*** goes on holiday to Dubai in August?

I have some limited sympathy. Everyone knows that justice takes flipping ages in the U.K. how could anyone expect to be in court so fast?
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Eabhal said:

Britons were involved, which always draws interest.

I remember the Leicester Mercury's local angle on the Bali bombing: "Bali bomb kills 200, Leicester family flies home with holiday ruined."
    Shane McGowan was born in Kent because his family were here from Ireland visiting extended family over Christmas. When he died some of the local press went with "Kent pop-star dies".

They eventually moved over and he got a scholarship to Westminster, but didn't last long.
    I have lived long enough to see a former U.S. president make a dick joke about another former U.S. president and it is a worthy, subtle and gracefully delivered dick joke. If after I am departed from this vale, anyone claims I died unhappy they are lying.
    https://x.com/AoDespair/status/1826304750679458134
  • SteveSSteveS Posts: 153
    Foxy said:

Eabhal said:

ohnotnow said:

Carnyx said:

ohnotnow said:

---

Even the Red Funnel to the Isle of Wight is staffed by Filipino sailors now. It seems very difficult to recruit Britons to these jobs nowadays.
    … at the wage that the companies are prepared to pay. International waters and a free market innit.

See also the Dover ferries

Carnyx said:

ohnotnow said:

But isn’t that because native U.K.ians are too lazy to get up off their piles of £50 notes (benefits) and be slave labour on death traps where the centre of gravity and the centre of buoyancy are a bit too friendly?
    Daughter of a friend of mine works as crew on super yachts. She is pretty well paid, and the owners are only there a few weeks a year, but it is constant work as everything has to be perfect when they suddenly fly in. An awful lot of polishing to be done.
    edited August 21

Carnyx said:

ohnotnow said:

On the issue of emoluments *alone* (not implying anything about the ships themselves), this is a nicely understated comment in a Parliament committee from the boss of P&O Ferrioes, which famously sacked its UK crews in favour of less expensive matelots:

https://www.ft.com/content/68713a8e-c353-40b9-b7c1-6b3c4501c36f

'Total hourly pay started from £4.87 after including guaranteed overtime, bonuses and holiday pay, Hebblethwaite said. He added that although it was “considerably ahead” of international minimum standards, he could not himself live on that amount.'

(Not sure of HMG (last lot) ever did anything about it.)

• ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,256
    Nigelb said:

I have lived long enough to see a former U.S. president make a dick joke about another former U.S. president and it is a worthy, subtle and gracefully delivered dick joke. If after I am departed from this vale, anyone claims I died unhappy they are lying.
    https://x.com/AoDespair/status/1826304750679458134

The accompanying hand gestures were superbly subtle.
    SteveS said:

Foxy said:

Eabhal said:

ohnotnow said:

Carnyx said:

ohnotnow said:

---

… at the wage that the companies are prepared to pay. International waters and a free market innit.

The Solent is international waters?!
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,650
    Good evening from The Regal Moon in Rochdale. I have a pretty poor opinion of the town I grew up in, but couldn't resist booking a night at the new Hampton by Hilton (I'm a Hilton whore) as Rochdale is close enough to tomorrow's client customer meeting.

The town centre is a strange place. They're obviously trying very hard to redevelop it - the hotel and adjacent apartment blocks. They've built a new shopping and leisure area, with the 80s shopping centre now abandoned to YouTuber urban explorers, a 70s shopping centre half shuttered and a main shopping street that features a shuttered Poundworld (went pop in 2018!!!) prominently amongst the other shuttered shop fronts.

Whilst the accents are reassuringly nostalgic (I don't sound Lancashire and haven't for a long time), its somewhat surreal to be sat here. With apologies for the Leonesque travelogue, though I have refrained from both the alcohol photo or the I KNOW EVERYTHING YOU ARE SO STUPID ramping.
    SteveS said:

Foxy said:

Eabhal said:

ohnotnow said:

Carnyx said:

ohnotnow said:

---

The Red Funnel never leave the Solent, though an element of time travel is involved. It takes you back a couple of decades.

Sandpit said:

I have some limited sympathy. Everyone knows that justice takes flipping ages in the U.K. how could anyone expect to be in court so fast?
    1) takes part in Islamophobic violence
    2) flies to Dubai on holiday

What’s the betting that this genius doesn’t know that Dubai is….

Sandpit said:

…f***ing hot in August?
    In case any PBers may be wondering, how the 2024 Democratic National Convention compares with the 1924 DNC a century ago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1924_Democratic_National_Convention

Night (including night-riders) versus Day pretty much sums it up.

Battles are reported in the Bryansk region Ukraine appears to have crossed the border in another location!
    https://x.com/WarMonitor3/status/1826329810500760016

Sandpit said:

Met up with an old friend from Stockton (on the Ardnamurchan peninsula, as you do...). He wa talking about the Middlesbrough riots and how some of the people who had been out trashing the place and aggressively stopping non-whites from driving then went to get a Kebab from an Asian takeaway and got taxis driven by asian taxi drivers. Stories going all round the community from cab drivers in the immediate aftermath.

This is the displayed stupidity of these modern patriots. They don't like the forrin being in their town. Unless they need a kebab or a taxi. Or a doctor.
    Nigelb said:

Battles are reported in the Bryansk region Ukraine appears to have crossed the border in another location!

Vyazma next and then set targets beyond Moscow…

Good evening from The Regal Moon in Rochdale. I have a pretty poor opinion of the town I grew up in, but couldn't resist booking a night at the new Hampton by Hilton (I'm a Hilton whore) as Rochdale is close enough to tomorrow's client customer meeting.

The town centre is a strange place. They're obviously trying very hard to redevelop it - the hotel and adjacent apartment blocks. They've built a new shopping and leisure area, with the 80s shopping centre now abandoned to YouTuber urban explorers, a 70s shopping centre half shuttered and a main shopping street that features a shuttered Poundworld (went pop in 2018!!!) prominently amongst the other shuttered shop fronts.

Whilst the accents are reassuringly nostalgic (I don't sound Lancashire and haven't for a long time), its somewhat surreal to be sat here. With apologies for the Leonesque travelogue, though I have refrained from both the alcohol photo or the I KNOW EVERYTHING YOU ARE SO STUPID ramping.

2 of my uncles and aunts lived in Rochdale, one near to Gracie Fields, and with my father ( Bolton born) founded a shirt factory in the town only for it to collapse in the depression

Sandpit said:

I don’t see a fundamental issue with not wanting Muslim immigration but also wanting to visit Muslim countries.

Nigelb said:

Vyazma next and then set targets beyond Moscow…
    They could go up to Latvia and cut off Belarus.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369

tlg86 said:

OMG, loved that Soft Cell Country album.
  • RichardrRichardr Posts: 94

Sandpit said:

There wasn't a court case as such though. He pleaded guilty, and so the only appearance in front of a judge is the sentencing. He'll have been given the date when pleading as part of his bail conditions, and also will have known that a custodial sentence was going to be the outcome.

If he'd have pleaded not guilty then the process would have taken "flipping ages".
    Richardr said:

Sandpit said:

There wasn't a court case as such though. He pleaded guilty, and so the only appearance in front of a judge is the sentencing. He'll have been given the date when pleading as part of his bail conditions, and also will have known that a custodial sentence was going to be the outcome.

If he'd have pleaded not guilty then the process would have taken "flipping ages".
    I was not being entirely serious.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273
    edited August 21
    Listening to Memoirs of a Midget by Walter de la Mare on R4 Extra.
    Had quite forgotten what a profoundly strange, bizarre and thoroughly affecting novel it is.
    Almost totally unread and unknown these days.
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,174
    edited August 21
    Duplicate
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,174
    edited August 21
    I've not really done many thoughts on actual politics in recent posts.

On the Tory leadership, nothing seems to me to offer that much break from the past. Personally, I do think they need to spend time going strongly rightwards, but properly work out all the dependencies, what is needed to achieve such a policy platform and then be pathologically honest in presenting that.

"Yes, we are going to squeeze immigration to the bone, and it will mean less healthcare but house prices will ease. Yes, we will keep an eye on third country processing, but with the prospect of successful asylum at the end. Other countries will have had 4-8-13 years to look at it, so we will know how it works. If need be we will leave the ECHR to do so, the left and our neighbours will complain bitterly but they will still deal with us etc"

Put in a real tough offer to Reforms fantasy until endless questions raised by that pathological honesty shoots their fox.

Won't make me vote for them, but necessary.

Either the worked through solutions will be so unpalatable that tacking back to the centre is demanded of them by their own, or bit will make sense and some of it will actually stick.

Realistically no one is offering that and probably only Cleverly realistically could if he wanted.
    Pro_Rata said:

I've not really done many thoughts on actual politics in recent posts.

On the Tory leadership, nothing seems to me to offer that much break from the past. Personally, I do think they need to spend time going strongly rightwards, but properly work out all the dependencies, what is needed to achieve such a policy platform and then be pathologically honest in presenting that.

"Yes, we are going to squeeze immigration to the bone, and it will mean less healthcare but house prices will ease. Yes, we will keep an eye on third country processing, but with the prospect of successful asylum at the end. Other countries will have had 4-8-13 years to look at it, so we will know how it works. If need be we will leave the ECHR to do so, the left and our neighbours will complain bitterly but they will still deal with us etc"

Put in a real tough offer to Reforms fantasy until endless questions raised by that pathological honesty shoots their fox.

Won't make me vote for them, but necessary.

Either the worked through solutions will be so unpalatable that tacking back to the centre is demanded of them by their own, or bit will make sense and some of it will actually stick.

Realistically no one is offering that and probably only Cleverly realistically could if he wanted.

Don't worry about it.

Neither have any of the Tory leadership candidates.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,045

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. will give a live address on Friday about “his path forward,” a spokeswoman for his independent presidential campaign said on Wednesday.

NY Times blog

A live address - attended by fifty fewer than Vance's gathering.

Most of the top two polling I have seen shows very little difference in terms of margin than when Kennedy Jnr is included.
    I think Kennedy dropping out helps Trump by about a point or 2 vs Harris, though it may depend on the state. Kennedy dropping out and endorsing Trump probably helps Trump a bit more than that. I know a couple of American anti-vaxer types who like Kennedy and don't like Trump, but if Kennedy says vote Trump I think they might, though there are others who would just stop liking Kennedy.

OTOH could Trump accepting Kennedy's endorsement hurt Trump with some voters? I don't see it.

I recommend John Oliver's piece on RFK the other day. It's not that funny but it seems Oliver has switched from comedy to serious journalism with a few jokes thrown in to sugar the pill.
This discussion has been closed.