Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Kemi Badenoch remains the favourite to succeed Sunak – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• nico679nico679 Posts: 5,909
    FF43 said:

nico679 said:

carnforth said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Based on this graphic We Think also appear to be conflating refugees with immigrants.

Regardless the poll makes for depressing reading . Wtf has happened to this country ?
    Mass immigration happened.
    Immigration from the wrong non EU countries happened . There’s a reluctance for many in the media to just say it out loud.
    Why not say what you really mean out loud?
    I don’t have a problem putting it bluntly . These recent riots are anti Muslim , the rioters couldn’t give a fig about white European Christians.

The main issue in the EU is not about FOM but immigration from outside the block.
    Putting it even more bluntly most racists endorsing violence are Brexiteers. Those guys hate the EU.
    Well I doubt there were too many Remainers in the mobs running riot .
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,915
    DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

The natural resonance of views like that should be between 8-15% of the population, max.

The fact it's now between 30-35% should be of grave concern to all, and an indication something is seriously wrong.

The most likely response is simply that a bigger proportion of the population simply gets written off as racist and quasi-fash, and everything continues precisely as before.

Before we make generalisations about the general population, what are the number for DKs/did not say?
    Surely those are questions for which even 'don't know' should be an unacceptable response. I see no way to emiliorate or mitigate those numbers. The idea that a third of our citizens think it is acceptable to attack refugees to get the attention of polticians is mind blowing.

Can you not understand how it has happened? How we have reached this appalling state of affairs?

Britons have consistently voted for much much lower migration for decades, and it has never happened. No government has delivered it. The brexit vote itself was a cry of pain, from many, on this issue. And AGAIN it was ignored, indeed the stupid Tories TRIPLED immigration

All that plus the boats, and various integration problems, many of them horrendous

You and I both revile these answers, I cannot wrap my head around them, but they tell us we need - finally - to actually do what the public wants. Get migration down under 100,000. Stop the boats. We cannot wish this polling away with fainting fits
    If you get migration down to under 100,000 then this country collapses. Do you not get this? The asylum seeker numbers are tiny compared to legal migration and the legal migration numbers are where they are because we NEED those people.

Whether they come from India or Poland, it doesn't matter. We NEED the immigration just to keep the country, and particularly our NHS and social care, running. If you want someone to wipe your arse in a decade when you are drooling in a bath chair then you, personally, NEED those immigrants. If you want someone to try and fix that alcohol raddled liver and deal with your terminal flatulance then you NEED those immigrants.

There are many things we and the politicians can do to improve integration - as I have said before, look at Norway - but we won't do them as long as we see immigration as a curse rather than a necessity and a benefit.

It’s not need. It’s choices.

80% of arse wipers in old age homes are U.K. born.

We chose not to educate 100% of the medical staff the NHS requires. The government mandates the number of places to educate and train doctors and nurses.

We chose to have an economy built on cheap labour. When, during COVID, the conditions in the Leicester garment trade were exposed, actual politicians said we can’t enforce health and safety or minimum wage without damaging the business.

We chose a taxation system that favours cheap labour over investment in productivity.

Choices, eh?
    Im so old I can remember when the country aimed for a high wage high productivity economy.
    That's never been more than a platitude. The politician is not yet born who would say the goal is a low wage low productivity economy.
    Why do they need to say it ? It's what they have produced.
    You seemed to be saying there were some good old days when we aimed for the fabled "high wage high skill" economy as opposed to now where we don't.
    Yes.

Too many now consider pay rises a bad thing. That was not always the case.
    Pay rises are a good thing if they are paid for by productivity increases. They are sharing the gains. But wage increases in the absence of increased productivity is simply inflationary. What troubles me at the moment is that productivity doesn't seem to feature in the public sector wage increases that are being handed out.
    You are touching on something called Baumol's cost disease.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,797
    Some daft polls today.

Here’s one asking which Presidential candidate is weird.
    https://x.com/keithboykin/status/1823027604930379780
  • DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

The natural resonance of views like that should be between 8-15% of the population, max.

The fact it's now between 30-35% should be of grave concern to all, and an indication something is seriously wrong.

The most likely response is simply that a bigger proportion of the population simply gets written off as racist and quasi-fash, and everything continues precisely as before.

Before we make generalisations about the general population, what are the number for DKs/did not say?
    Surely those are questions for which even 'don't know' should be an unacceptable response. I see no way to emiliorate or mitigate those numbers. The idea that a third of our citizens think it is acceptable to attack refugees to get the attention of polticians is mind blowing.

Can you not understand how it has happened? How we have reached this appalling state of affairs?

Britons have consistently voted for much much lower migration for decades, and it has never happened. No government has delivered it. The brexit vote itself was a cry of pain, from many, on this issue. And AGAIN it was ignored, indeed the stupid Tories TRIPLED immigration

All that plus the boats, and various integration problems, many of them horrendous

You and I both revile these answers, I cannot wrap my head around them, but they tell us we need - finally - to actually do what the public wants. Get migration down under 100,000. Stop the boats. We cannot wish this polling away with fainting fits
    If you get migration down to under 100,000 then this country collapses. Do you not get this? The asylum seeker numbers are tiny compared to legal migration and the legal migration numbers are where they are because we NEED those people.

Whether they come from India or Poland, it doesn't matter. We NEED the immigration just to keep the country, and particularly our NHS and social care, running. If you want someone to wipe your arse in a decade when you are drooling in a bath chair then you, personally, NEED those immigrants. If you want someone to try and fix that alcohol raddled liver and deal with your terminal flatulance then you NEED those immigrants.

There are many things we and the politicians can do to improve integration - as I have said before, look at Norway - but we won't do them as long as we see immigration as a curse rather than a necessity and a benefit.

We chose not to educate 100% of the medical staff the NHS requires. The government mandates the number of places to educate and train doctors and nurses.

We chose to have an economy built on cheap labour. When, during COVID, the conditions in the Leicester garment trade were exposed, actual politicians said we can’t enforce health and safety or minimum wage without damaging the business.

We chose a taxation system that favours cheap labour over investment in productivity.

Choices, eh?
    Im so old I can remember when the country aimed for a high wage high productivity economy.
    That's never been more than a platitude. The politician is not yet born who would say the goal is a low wage low productivity economy.
    You seemed to be saying there were some good old days when we aimed for the fabled "high wage high skill" economy as opposed to now where we don't.
    Yes.

Pay rises are a good thing if they are paid for by productivity increases. They are sharing the gains. But wage increases in the absence of increased productivity is simply inflationary. What troubles me at the moment is that productivity doesn't seem to feature in the public sector wage increases that are being handed out.
    One begets the other though.

We have full employment, so supply and demand should see wages rising and the least efficient jobs that can not afford to pay for higher wages get culled as a result.

Simply adding more and more unskilled people in order to "fill the vacancies" won't do that, and will just create new jobs. Letting wages rise and the least productive jobs die will boost our productivity in and of itself - as well as then motivating employers to engage in automation.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,435
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Choices, eh?
    We actually used to. In the old style - apprenticeships etc.

But these fell out of fashion. The New Plan was everyone would go to uni and everyone would have a high powered job at Goldman Sachs. The factories would all be automated. See the Economist in about 1988.

The breakdown of the class and financial barriers between The Professions and the flat ‘at world came just as the polys and unis merged.

So now we have a world where a plumber earns more than many graduates. What we have a vast demand for is a hybrid - working with hands but with skills. Think CNC operator vs old style lathe work. Which is exactly what we don’t teach or train.

Instead we have people getting degrees to do jobs which weren’t degree credentialed very long ago. At high cost to them.
  • Nigelb said:

Some daft polls today.

When "weird" is an attack line being used, I don't think its remotely daft to be polling on it.

That 55% to 39% say that Trump is weird in AZ, GA, MI, NC, PA and WI is pretty damning for Trump.
  • VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,521

Phillips P. OBrien
    @PhillipsPOBrien

More polls out that show Harris with a large lead in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan. If she carries all 3, she should win the election. https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/

Published tables from Independent Centre with polling in Pennsylvania Michigan and Wisconsin https://cdn.prod.website-files.com/65fc824cf835683ce2d3549b/66ba4069b73a13894a56414d_Independent Center - Battleground States Poll 2024.pdf
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,332
    Eabhal said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Choices, eh?
    Yes.

You are touching on something called Baumol's cost disease.
    Yes, that is definitely a feature. If the NHS wants to retain dentists, for example, it needs to pay the going rate for a dentist even if those doing NHS work are not improving their productivity (this example is very much in my mind because I have got a letter from my dentist today saying that she can no longer offer NHS treatment). Hey ho.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,493
    This tells you the current situation with universities as A level results come out on Thursday

https://x.com/katherineschof8/status/1823044334108774655

Prof Katherine Schofield 🇬🇧🇦🇺
    @katherineschof8
    ·
    4h
    Crucial reminder to A Level students & parents:

If you don’t get the grades you were expecting contact your first choice university immediately.

This year they are VERY LIKELY to take you anyway.

Don’t be discouraged! It’s an excellent year for student choice.

Good luck all!

Basically grabbing every penny they can to delay the inevitable final outcome..
  • MJWMJW Posts: 1,634

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Based on this graphic We Think also appear to be conflating refugees with immigrants.

Yet the British people think a reduction in immigration in health and social care s a bad thing. Even Conservative and Reform voters.

To say that Britons are conflicted over immigration is an understatement.
    We want doctors. Not the extended family of students.
    The vast majority of these are not doctors, they are working in carehomes etc.
    Though, again, 81% of care workers are British.

If care homes want to attract more people, they should pay better wages.

I have every respect for wait staff, but its ridiculous that people wiping bums and taking care of people for a living pays less than eg waiting on tables does.
    You've hit on the central problem with discussion of immigration, which is politicians/media never wanting to properly discuss tradeoffs and choices rather than a moral test of whether you're a "good person" and like it/dislike it, and vice versa.

Lots of social care is paid for by councils, which bore the brunt of post-2010 cuts, and many of which are in financial difficulty. So they're going to commission the care they have to pay for by law on the cheap. Which will mean it generally comes from contractors who don't pay well so they can win a contract by lowballing the costs. So if you want to make care an attractive permanent career we probably have to pay a bit more in tax.

Similarly, if you want fewer foreign students here then either we let a load of universities go under and significantly cut places, we put up tuition fees, or we provide funds from central government.

Or whisper it quietly, but being in the EU and having free movement may have helped keep immigration numbers lower (after an initial influx in 2004) than are now as people who can come and go to work as they pleased from Europe tended to move back.

Now, a problem we have is that politicians have long echoed voters' overall sentiments - which broadly want to cut immigration. Without being honest about the ways you'd do that, what they'd mean, why you might want to differ, and offering that choice. So you end up in the ludicrous situation whereby the Tories get a reputation for being thoroughly beastly to immigrants, while trebling immigration.

If you want to seriously cut immigration you can, but it's probably by rejigging our economy and social sphere so it's less dependent on it being able to plug gaps, rather than blood and thunder statements about sending boats (a small proportion of overall numbers, if one that causes outsized difficulties) back.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,762

eek said:

Foxy said:

Yet the British people think a reduction in immigration in health and social care s a bad thing. Even Conservative and Reform voters.

If you want qualified experienced doctors you need accept their family otherwise they won't come.

Equally if you want the £75,000 or so it costs a student to come to the UK to study for a degree there may be a quid pro quo involved.

Reading the papers over the weekend it does seem that many people are happy to pay £20,000+ to get a work permit in the UK, it's just a shame that the last Government wasn't bright enough to collect the money itself and instead like "agents" overseas pocket the money instead.
    if we want qualified experienced doctors we should train more and stop importing them
    And pay them enough to keep them 😀
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,294
    A depressingly accurate TwiX description of the Britain that awaits us

"They're going to have China style censorship without any of the perks like fast trains, shiny skyscrapers, and a safe society relatively free of violent crime lol."
  • VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,521

Phillips P. OBrien
    @PhillipsPOBrien

More polls out that show Harris with a large lead in Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Michigan. If she carries all 3, she should win the election. https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/

Published tables from Independent Centre with polling in Pennsylvania Michigan and Wisconsin https://cdn.prod.website-files.com/65fc824cf835683ce2d3549b/66ba4069b73a13894a56414d_Independent Center - Battleground States Poll 2024.pdf
    Redfield & Wilton national polling https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/joe-biden-administration-approval-ratings-and-hypothetical-voting-intention-7-august-2024/

Nigelb said:

Some daft polls today.

When "weird" is an attack line being used, I don't think its remotely daft to be polling on it.

That 55% to 39% say that Trump is weird in AZ, GA, MI, NC, PA and WI is pretty damning for Trump.
    It’s all lies.
    https://x.com/AntiToxicPeople/status/1823055951811031372
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,231

Trump is gonna completely implode...

Nick Bryant
    @NickBryantNY

“Her moment”

@TIME new cover

https://x.com/NickBryantNY/status/1822998713083822108

I think Time once did Hitler as their Man of the Year so they are not a great barometer of what to follow.
    So, you're saying Harris is going to win the election, exterminate the Jews, abolish democracy, and finally invade Russia?
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,763

Pagan2 said:

Anyone who said yes to any of those questions is racist and quasi-fash and should be written off.
    Aaaaaand.. there we have it.
    You disagree?

You think that someone answering that it is acceptable to use violence is not racist?
    It doesn't mean they are racist at all in fact. If your governement won't do what the majority wants then you have two choices. Bullet box or ballot box. If the ballot box doesn't work then you only have the former option. Doesn't matter what the topic is...if you ignore a sizeable majority and what they ask of you sooner or later they will stop voting and start hitting
    And if they start hitting foreigners, or using bullets, then yes they are racists.
    I did not claim they always aimed right I was merely observing that when your vote doesn't seem to matter no matter what you vote for then violence is the only option. A violence that is often however misplaced and aimed at the wrong targets
    Leon said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Regardless the poll makes for depressing reading . Wtf has happened to this country ?
    Mass immigration happened.
    Immigration from the wrong non EU countries happened . There’s a reluctance for many in the media to just say it out loud.
    What precisely are the wrong non EU countries?
    These recent riots are anti Muslim. And of course their ire is directed at those communities and by extension those coming on boats who they clump together as all being Muslim .
    At the moment those on the boats mostly are Muslim: Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan and Syria are the main sources, I believe

For a while there was a wave of Vietnamese but that seems to have stopped
    Yep, fleeing tyrannical governments and war zones.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,708
    edited August 12

So this seems to be the explanation/excuse for the reduction in gold medals:

UK Sport chair Katherine Grainger says Great Britain's success in Paris is "extraordinary", but Team GB have moved past the era of "winning at all costs".

The five-time Olympic medal winner says creating a positive environment for the athletes is just as important as finishing on the podium.

"It is about winning well, not winning at any cost," Grainger, who leads the body responsible for allocating funding to sports for each Olympic cycle.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/articles/c15gzzx1q5zo

Pretty atrocious attitude. It seems Team GB should move on from the era of Katherine Grainger - and fast.
    British Rowing essentially told her (and her ilk) to do one. And brought back heavy end seat racing*. Hence the golds.

*The practise of swapping people in and out of the boat and in different positions to see if it goes faster. Considered fairly brutal since you can be dropped from the boat at any time, if someone makes the boat go faster.
    Is her whoe job to dribble around making Team GB not win gold medals?
    Think DfE - her job is for team GB to win gold medals.

However….
    Time to get rid. She should be pleased to be let go - tell her it's the equivalent of receiving a bronze medal.
    stodge said:

£2.5 billion a year on providing hotels for asylum seekers.

It's not a huge amount in Government terms - Newham alone spends £40 million a year on the provision of temporary accommodation for homeless British people.

I've yet to hear a coherent answer to the primary question of how you "stop the boats". The toughest of Tory Home Secretaries failed miserably and with Rwanda (or similar) seemingly off the table what is or should be the solution?

I'm sure plenty have draconian solutions and the real immigration question is the level of legal immigration about which we can do something (if Starmer so wished).

There is clearly a need for a much more rapid processing of asylum applications which seemed to atrophy in the last months of the previous Government (Rwanda?).

They were not tough Home Secretaries. And though some were inclined to be tough, they were undermined by the wider Government, in the forms of the Prime Minister/s and the Home Office. We were left with grandstanding and performative harshness, like Jenrick's painted-over murals and May's 'Go Home' vans.
  • Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Anyone who said yes to any of those questions is racist and quasi-fash and should be written off.
    You disagree?

You think that someone answering that it is acceptable to use violence is not racist?
    It doesn't mean they are racist at all in fact. If your governement won't do what the majority wants then you have two choices. Bullet box or ballot box. If the ballot box doesn't work then you only have the former option. Doesn't matter what the topic is...if you ignore a sizeable majority and what they ask of you sooner or later they will stop voting and start hitting
    And if they start hitting foreigners, or using bullets, then yes they are racists.
    I did not claim they always aimed right I was merely observing that when your vote doesn't seem to matter no matter what you vote for then violence is the only option. A violence that is often however misplaced and aimed at the wrong targets
    Your vote does matter.

Its just that the racists lost the last election, they didn't win it.
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

You disagree?

I thought you refused to vote.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,514

Nick Bryant
    @NickBryantNY

“Her moment”

@TIME new cover

I think Time once did Hitler as their Man of the Year so they are not a great barometer of what to follow.
    Just so.

• rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,489
    Cookie said:

Just arrived home. God it's good to be back. Two highlights of the journey:
    1) Red Kites in the Chilterns on the M40. I've done this journey periodically over the last 15 years - they appear to be much more widely spread than in previous years; there was a good 10 mile gap between the first and last ones I saw.
    2) Seeing some hills: after a week in the low countries, Kent looked Alpine. My goodness this country is beautiful.
    3) The sunset - which conveniently timed itself to arrive just as I arrived at the start of home home i.e. where Staffordshire runs into Cheshire. It was a symphony: pale blues and plums and pinks and peaches and purples and gold and fire; and it went on for the rest of the journey home. I was mesmerised. It seemed a pity to have to turn away from it at Junction 19, but it was still there in the west when we turned onto the M60.

It wasn't all idyllic of course. One daughter had to hild a tissue under another's nose to stem a nose bleed in the back seat, and there was cat sick all over the landing when we got home. But still. Good to be back.

Probably from a surfit of birds.

rcs1000 said:

Nick Bryant
    @NickBryantNY

“Her moment”

@TIME new cover

So, you're saying Harris is going to win the election, exterminate the Jews, abolish democracy, and finally invade Russia?
    On the latter, she'll be late. Ukraine already there.
    Leon said:

"They're going to have China style censorship without any of the perks like fast trains, shiny skyscrapers, and a safe society relatively free of violent crime lol."

It's not depressingly accurate though.

We don't have China like censorship. We have rules against incitement of mob violence.

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Choices, eh?
    Yes.

We have full employment, so supply and demand should see wages rising and the least efficient jobs that can not afford to pay for higher wages get culled as a result.

Simply adding more and more unskilled people in order to "fill the vacancies" won't do that, and will just create new jobs. Letting wages rise and the least productive jobs die will boost our productivity in and of itself - as well as then motivating employers to engage in automation.
    Except we don't have full employment in reality. We have something like 9m people of working age who are not working. For some this is a choice because they have care responsibilities for the young or the old but for too many it seems to be almost giving up and persuading themselves that they can't.

I agree that we want better wages to incentivise those people back into the workforce. We need to widen the gap between a life on benefits and a life in work. We need to stop subsidising very low paid work with state benefits. Increasing the elasticity of the supply of labour, as we did with freedom of movement, accentuates all of these problems and removes the drive you describe to improve the productivity of labour.

Leon said:

No it isn't.

Get a bloody grip.

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

You disagree?

Your vote does matter.

Its just that the racists lost the last election, they didn't win it.
    Both labour and tories have promised to be tough on immigration, I probably don't need to cite tory stuff but Ed millibrand even commissioned a mug for it. Then they had the votes and did exactly the opposite....thats a vote counting is it in your world. In mine if vote because they say they will do A and not B then after the votes are counted they do B anyway......well thats my vote not counting
    Cookie said:

Just arrived home. God it's good to be back. Two highlights of the journey:
    1) Red Kites in the Chilterns on the M40. I've done this journey periodically over the last 15 years - they appear to be much more widely spread than in previous years; there was a good 10 mile gap between the first and last ones I saw.
    2) Seeing some hills: after a week in the low countries, Kent looked Alpine. My goodness this country is beautiful.
    3) The sunset - which conveniently timed itself to arrive just as I arrived at the start of home home i.e. where Staffordshire runs into Cheshire. It was a symphony: pale blues and plums and pinks and peaches and purples and gold and fire; and it went on for the rest of the journey home. I was mesmerised. It seemed a pity to have to turn away from it at Junction 19, but it was still there in the west when we turned onto the M60.

It wasn't all idyllic of course. One daughter had to hild a tissue under another's nose to stem a nose bleed in the back seat, and there was cat sick all over the landing when we got home. But still. Good to be back.

Red Kites seem to love the M40 at the Chilterns. There's a patch of the A6 in Leices the same,

It's on a bit of slope of an escarpment, so I think generates an updraft for them.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,373
    edited August 12
    3 years for grabbing a police baton and running off with it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c990yn1xkxmo

"At Plymouth Crown Court, a man who grabbed a police officer's baton and ran off with it was jailed for three years. Guy Sullivan, 43, of New George Street, Plymouth, admitted a charge of violent disorder relating to the violence in the city on 5 August. The court heard a lone officer had been using his baton to push back protesters around him, when Sullivan came behind the officer and grabbed the baton out of his hands."

Leon said:

No it isn't.

Get a bloody grip.
    Feels EXACTLY like that, to me. That is where we are headed
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,972
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

We don't have China like censorship. We have rules against incitement of mob violence.
    Chinese social media is a cesspit. I doubt it's any better than X/Twitter.
    FF43 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

But its a cesspit of right think not wrong think
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Choices, eh?
    Yes.

Except we don't have full employment in reality. We have something like 9m people of working age who are not working. For some this is a choice because they have care responsibilities for the young or the old but for too many it seems to be almost giving up and persuading themselves that they can't.

I agree that we want better wages to incentivise those people back into the workforce. We need to widen the gap between a life on benefits and a life in work. We need to stop subsidising very low paid work with state benefits. Increasing the elasticity of the supply of labour, as we did with freedom of movement, accentuates all of these problems and removes the drive you describe to improve the productivity of labour.

Is it really better for society to have unpaid carers forced into the paid economy, to look after other people's children and old folks rather than their own families?
    Andy_JS said:

"At Plymouth Crown Court, a man who grabbed a police officer's baton and ran off with it was jailed for three years. Guy Sullivan, 43, of New George Street, Plymouth, admitted a charge of violent disorder relating to the violence in the city on 5 August. The court heard a lone officer had been using his baton to push back protesters around him, when Sullivan came behind the officer and grabbed the baton out of his hands."

The appeal courts are going to be quite busy. Of course, if removing the baton put that police officer at any kind of risk....

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

Foxy said:

They won't come in that case and they mostly have choices. If you were working abroad for a number of years would you leave your family behind?
    Our son did in 2003 and remains abroad now living in Canada
    His family is still in the UK?
    Yes apart from his wife
    People are different I guess. I wouldn't want to do that.
    DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

The appeal courts are going to be quite busy. Of course, if removing the baton put that police officer at any kind of risk....
    Presumably appealing against the sentence, as he did plead guilty so can't appeal against the conviction.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,909
    DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

On the face of it that does seem a pretty harsh sentence . But you’re unlikely to get much sympathy from the public .
    Leon said:

Leon said:

No it isn't.

Get a bloody grip.
    Thank God you're not a person predisposed to any kind of wild overreaction.
    nico679 said:

DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

On the face of it that does seem a pretty harsh sentence . But you’re unlikely to get much sympathy from the public .
    Apart from the 39% of the public who think it's justified to attack refugees if it makes politicians pay attention
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Choices, eh?
    Yes.

Wages going up while benefits are frozen is a good way to incentivise people to work.

Better than freezing wages while benefits go up.

For too long lately pay rises have been considered a bad thing, not a good one.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,912
    eek said:

This tells you the current situation with universities as A level results come out on Thursday

@katherineschof8
    ·
    4h

If you don’t get the grades you were expecting contact your first choice university immediately.

Good luck all!

The universities already have the results and will be deciding if a student is in or out well in advance of Thursday. Best to check via UCAS to see if you are in with lower than expected grades.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    I've just carried out some private polling, as follows:

You are obliged to punch somebody in the face - you have no choice. But you can choose whether to punch:
    a) a random refugee, or
    b) Nigel Farage.
    What's your choice?

99.4% said b).
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,435
    edited August 12
    Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

A Chinese colleague, at work, showed me some of the staggering racism that is prevalent on Chinese social media.

EDIT: very unsurprisingly, the Chinese state doesn't seem to have any problem with pronounced Islamaphobia.

You are obliged to punch somebody in the face - you have no choice. But you can choose whether to punch:
    a) a random refugee, or
    b) Nigel Farage.
    What's your choice?

99.4% said b).

What does private polling mean?
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,912
    Andy_JS said:

a) a random refugee, or
    b) Nigel Farage.
    What's your choice?

99.4% said b).

Made up?
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,539
    =
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

No it isn't.

Get a bloody grip.
    Tell that to the Alien AI overlords from the EU who overtook us at least twice in the past year!
    edited August 12
    Andy_JS said:

a) a random refugee, or
    b) Nigel Farage.
    What's your choice?

99.4% said b).

In this instance, it means I am trying to make some desperately poor cringeworthy joke and I am failing

eek said:

@katherineschof8
    ·
    4h

Good luck all!

The universities already have the results and will be deciding if a student is in or out well in advance of Thursday. Best to check via UCAS to see if you are in with lower than expected grades.
    Yes, many universities would rather accept "near misses" who actually want to be on the course than put the place into the lottery of clearing.

The Universities got the results yesterday, and will get the second choices tomorrow, so will know how many places are filled by Thursday when the candidates get their results.

• Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,102
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I disagree, but at least you are willing to have the argument, tho you could drop the pointless ad hominem

I think the costs in cohesion and crime etc are now too great. We have to accept the economic pain that comes with severely limited migration, and the government needs to be honest with the public. "OK we will bring it down, but it will be painful"

Mass migration was always a ponzi scheme in the end, bound to collapse, especially in a crowded country like the UK
    The ad hominem was to make you feel relaxed and at home given it is your normal modus operandi on here. I thought you would appreciate the gesture :)
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,576

a) a random refugee, or
    b) Nigel Farage.
    What's your choice?

99.4% said b).

Even joking about violence towards either groups (refugees and politicians) is pretty low.

rcs1000 said:

Nick Bryant
    @NickBryantNY

“Her moment”

@TIME new cover

On the latter, she'll be late. Ukraine already there.
    When it comes to world wars the Americans usually are.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,572
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

No it isn't.

Get a bloody grip.
    Was it an overreaction?

Those dentists were probably really hot.
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Choices, eh?
    Yes.

Is it really better for society to have unpaid carers forced into the paid economy, to look after other people's children and old folks rather than their own families?
    Obviously. Otherwise the market would have found a more optimal solution.

I think that's how it works.

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

No it isn't.

Get a bloody grip.
    Was it an overreaction?

I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar with that part of YouPorn
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

No it isn't.

Get a bloody grip.
    The correct reaction to the last month in Britain is, unfortunately, deep gloom and bleak pessimism, verging on despair. If anything I is bein' a bit too cheery
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

No it isn't.

Get a bloody grip.
    Was it an overreaction?

You're missing out.
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Choices, eh?
    Yes.

Incentivised does not equal forced.

Like all things there is a balance to be struck.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,861
    DavidL said: "Except we don't have full employment in reality. We have something like 9m people of working age who are not working."

In the US, we have a similar problem. Most of those not working are men, who have checked out of a productive life. Possibly a sore point: Is something similar happening in th UK?

(For the numbers check out Nicholas Eberstadt's Post-Pandemic Edition of "Men without Work".)
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

No it isn't.

Get a bloody grip.
    The correct reaction to the last month in Britain is, unfortunately, deep gloom and bleak pessimism, verging on despair. If anything I is bein' a bit too cheery
    Or course you are.

Can I suggest a little lie down?
    Hilariously Humza Yousaf is still trying to harangue Musk and Musk is now threatening to reveal private messages by Yousaf which show him to be an “even greater racist in private”

So there is some entertainment as the entire nation collapses
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    RobD said:

a) a random refugee, or
    b) Nigel Farage.
    What's your choice?

99.4% said b).

Even joking about violence towards either groups (refugees and politicians) is pretty low.
    Not nearly as low as trying to set fire to hotels housing asylum seekers and staff.
    At least mine was a joke, clearly.
  • Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

No it isn't.

Get a bloody grip.
    Characteristic bollocks from you, as normal.

We have seen in the past month an horrific crime, to which the attacker was arrested and charged - and a once-a-decade riot that has seen rioters get arrested and go to jail. Just like in 2011.

Nothing pessimistic about that, just part and parcel of living in a free society that sometimes crime happens and the criminal justice system has to do its job.

Meanwhile for the rest of the population life goes on, the Olympics have been entertaining, Britain has won lots of medals - and oh yes, did I mention that life goes on?

Enjoy the last of the summer weather, because before long it will be autumn and then we'll be heading towards Christmas, with life still going on and these summer riots behind us once more.
    edited August 12

DavidL said: "Except we don't have full employment in reality. We have something like 9m people of working age who are not working."

In the US, we have a similar problem. Most of those not working are men, who have checked out of a productive life. Possibly a sore point: Is something similar happening in th UK?

(For the numbers check out Nicholas Eberstadt's Post-Pandemic Edition of "Men without Work".)

No, employment rate for men in the UK in May 2024 was 77.1% for men, 71.7% for women.

These are pretty close to all time highs. We are only beaten by the Dutch, the Germans, New Zealand, Japan and Scandinavia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_by_employment_rate

Yes, and it has been much more marked or noticed since Covid. A lot of it seems to be connected with chronic conditions that get worse as the delays for treatment grow ever longer but I also wonder if there were a lot of people who had really boring jobs that they would have carried on if their lives had not been disrupted by Covid close downs and really can't face going back.
    Leon said:

Hilariously Humza Yousaf is still trying to harangue Musk and Musk is now threatening to reveal private messages by Yousaf which show him to be an “even greater racist in private”

I think if Musk does that, then twitter is dead. His somewhat cra-cra lawsuits over the past couple of weeks have been odd enough - but if ever politician, celeb, journalist and regular pleb think their DM's are fair game to him, then I think it's all over.
  • DavidL said:

Yes, and it has been much more marked or noticed since Covid. A lot of it seems to be connected with chronic conditions that get worse as the delays for treatment grow ever longer but I also wonder if there were a lot of people who had really boring jobs that they would have carried on if their lives had not been disrupted by Covid close downs and really can't face going back.
    So those who do actually work for a living getting a pay rise for working is a good thing, then, is it not?
    In the New York Post a couple of days ago.

"UK police commissioner threatens to extradite, jail US citizens over online posts: ‘We’ll come after you’"

https://nypost.com/2024/08/10/media/uk-police-commissioner-threatens-to-extradite-jail-us-citizens-over-online-posts-well-come-after-you/
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Choices, eh?
    Yes.

Incentivised sounds a lot like forced in this context.
  • Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Choices, eh?
    Yes.

Incentivised sounds a lot like forced in this context.
    Not if widening the gap between work and benefits comes from paying more for working.
    DavidL said:

I've certainly noticed a fair few of my managerial layers basically doing a 'tune in, drop out' since the pandemic. Some who just spent the lockdowns pottering about in the garden and realising it had more personal value to them than updating Gantt charts and Planners, some who have been over-ruled by post-lockdown 'professional management' brought in (at great expense and zero gain) and just think "f*ck it".
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,550
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

I think if Musk does that, then twitter is dead. His somewhat cra-cra lawsuits over the past couple of weeks have been odd enough - but if ever politician, celeb, journalist and regular pleb think their DM's are fair game to him, then I think it's all over.
    All platforms will eventually die and at that point their only value will be the private message database, which will be sold. So if you want to send a message privately, you should only do it on a platform with end-to-end encryption. Anything in a database owned by a corporation will leak.

People will learn this eventually, if their governments don't ban end-to-end encryption first.

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

No it isn't.

Get a bloody grip.

We have seen in the past month an horrific crime, to which the attacker was arrested and charged - and a once-a-decade riot that has seen rioters get arrested and go to jail. Just like in 2011.

Nothing pessimistic about that, just part and parcel of living in a free society that sometimes crime happens and the criminal justice system has to do its job.

Meanwhile for the rest of the population life goes on, the Olympics have been entertaining, Britain has won lots of medals - and oh yes, did I mention that life goes on?

Enjoy the last of the summer weather, because before long it will be autumn and then we'll be heading towards Christmas, with life still going on and these summer riots behind us once more.
    A lot of people still don’t seem to have adjusted to the fact that we have a new government.
    They might think it’s crap, and ignoring the problems that they diagnose (which is an attitude not exactly alien to me too, on occasion), but they need to recognise their views are, for the time being, close to irrelevant.

That will change in time, but for now Starmer, with his Parliamentary majority, gets to try what he thinks he needs to do. And Leon’s take on that, along with mine, isn’t going to make any difference.

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

All platforms will eventually die and at that point their only value will be the private message database, which will be sold. So if you want to send a message privately, you should only do it on a platform with end-to-end encryption. Anything in a database owned by a corporation will leak.

People will learn this eventually, if their governments don't ban end-to-end encryption first.
    Thank goodness the UK government of various hues has never tried to do that!

For the sake of the /(children|freedom|democracy|oh-what-a-give-away)/!
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

No it isn't.

Get a bloody grip.

A lot of people still don’t seem to have adjusted to the fact that we have a new government.
    They might think it’s crap, and ignoring the problems that they diagnose (which is an attitude not exactly alien to me too, on occasion), but they need to recognise their views are, for the time being, close to irrelevant.

That will change in time, but for now Starmer, with his Parliamentary majority, gets to try what he thinks he needs to do. And Leon’s take on that, along with mine, isn’t going to make any difference.
    What is the point of this comment?

Do I expect my pungent critique of Starmer to topple the government? No. Do I think Labour are already showing signs of utter incompetence mixed with Wokeness plus a total inability to address issues of migration/asylum which will probably wreck them in the end? Yes

I’m stating that political opinion. That’s what we do on here
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

A very fair point. I suspect Musk knows this and he’s simply goading Yousaf
    edited August 12
    Leon said:

Strangely I don't find this hilarious at all. But you did tell me I was the most boring person on this site. That must be why.

Pagan2 said:

FF43 said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

A Chinese colleague, at work, showed me some of the staggering racism that is prevalent on Chinese social media.

EDIT: very unsurprisingly, the Chinese state doesn't seem to have any problem with pronounced Islamaphobia.
    The definition of rightthink there was as approved by the chinese state
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

No it isn't.

Get a bloody grip.

Do I expect my pungent critique of Starmer to topple the government? No. Do I think Labour are already showing signs of utter incompetence mixed with Wokeness plus a total inability to address issues of migration/asylum which will probably wreck them in the end? Yes

It’s not just you.
    The pontificating earlier on tonight was just railing at the moon.

On a brighter note, this is quite charming.
    https://x.com/positivesideofx/status/1822729137661919255
    Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Of all the people on planet Earth to goad - you'd think he'd be quite far down the list. "Who shall I troll:? Of all the failed leaders... Hrmmm... Let's go with the very dull & sub-par version of Liz Truss that even fewer people have heard of!"

edited August 12
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

No it isn't.

Get a bloody grip.
    Was it an overreaction?

I suppose the difference is you tell the dentist to "open wide".
  • Tim_in_RuislipTim_in_Ruislip Posts: 401
    edited August 12

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

I have the somewhat fatalistic assumption that any data that is entered onto a computer/recorded on any device has a non-negligible (even reasonable?) chance of ending up on the dark web, at some point.

Having never looked at the dark web, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but still the fear is there. And the future of tech points that way. And the incentives are real.

Reassure me, EiT.....?
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

Of all the people on planet Earth to goad - you'd think he'd be quite far down the list. "Who shall I troll:? Of all the failed leaders... Hrmmm... Let's go with the very dull & sub-par version of Liz Truss that even fewer people have heard of!"

Musk has had a beef with Yousaf ever since he found the notorious “whyte” speech a couple of years ago
    Great messaging for his campaign.

https://x.com/MeidasTouch/status/1823103114700083625
    The Miami Herald confirms that Donald Trump has in fact been using Jeffrey Epstein's plane to campaign since his plane experienced troubles.
    edited August 12
    Have BBC comedy shows like HIGNFY and the News Quiz started to mock the government yet? Maybe it's too early for them.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,514
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

I wonder what it is about a brown skinned Muslim with some woke tendencies that attracted the attention of Musk compared to say Truss?
    This is from a Telegraph journalist.

"Sam Ashworth-Hayes
    @SAshworthHayes

A friend visiting London has had their phone snatched. The phone is at a hotel six minutes walk from a police station, and the thief is using it to order delivery food, make trips on Uber, etc. He will absolutely be on CCTV.

The police have decided its not worth following up."

https://x.com/SAshworthHayes/status/1823003707174212081
    Andy_JS said:

"Sam Ashworth-Hayes
    @SAshworthHayes

A friend visiting London has had their phone snatched. The phone is at a hotel six minutes walk from a police station, and the thief is using it to order delivery food, make trips on Uber, etc. He will absolutely be on CCTV.

It’s this shit that is driving some people insane. Understandably
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    eek said:

@katherineschof8
    ·
    4h

Good luck all!

Have to try and make up some of the lost income from international students
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,067
    Updated Tory MP declarations of backing for next leader:

Jenrick 9
    Tugendhat 5
    Stride 5
    Badenoch 5
    Cleverly 4
    Patel 4
    https://conservativehome.com/2024/08/12/next-tory-leader-which-mp-is-backing-whom-cleverly-surges-ahead-to-two-supporters/
  • StereodogStereodog Posts: 570
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

No it isn't.

Get a bloody grip.

The public are more sensible than we give them credit for. Most people rightly accept that at the moment any problems with migration and asylum are bugger all to do with the new administration. That will and should change as time goes on though.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987
    HYUFD said:

Jenrick 9
    Tugendhat 5
    Stride 5
    Badenoch 5
    Cleverly 4
    Patel 4
    https://conservativehome.com/2024/08/12/next-tory-leader-which-mp-is-backing-whom-cleverly-surges-ahead-to-two-supporters/

Anything to glean from the known backers?
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,550

ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

I have the somewhat fatalistic assumption that any data that is entered onto a computer/recorded on any device has a non-negligible (even reasonable?) chance of ending up on the dark web, at some point.

Having never looked at the dark web, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, but still the fear is there. And the future of tech points that way. And the incentives are real.

Reassure me, EiT.....?
    No, I mean you're not really wrong. The dark web isn't exactly the problem; It just refers to a bunch of websites that are set up for anonymity, which is useful if you want to do something illegal, but also if you want privacy for any other purpose. If you want to illegally sell data you'd do that on the dark web where it's hard to trace you, but someone could also leak your data without anonymity, for example Elon Musk.

To leak your data they first have to get it. Somebody can get your data if
    1) They get hold of your device
    2) They have some software running on your device and stealing the data
    3) You send your data to someone else via a third-party and the third-party leaks it
    4) You send your data to someone else and that person leaks it by (1), (2), or (3)

It's really hard to be confident you're not going to fall victim to (2). There is just masses of software on a typical PC or phone, much of it is very bad, and just one mistake in the wrong place can let someone get at your data. This is particularly true if your adversary is a government agency, because they may have the ability to make whoever you get your software from send you bad software on purpose. If a government agency has your data they'll probably eventually leak it by accident as well. You can reduce the probability of this happening to you by normal IT security stuff like making sure you're getting updates and not installing weird stuff, but you can't get it to zero.

One that you should be able to control is (3). Hopefully in future all the popular software you'd normally use will have end-to-end encryption as standard, but right now almost nothing does. A good choice, which just got banned in Russia for being a good choice, is Signal.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987
    Andy_JS said:

"Sam Ashworth-Hayes
    @SAshworthHayes

I'm surprised. That the police didn't charge them with wasting their time by making a report, thus adding a crime to the records to make them look bad.
    Andy_JS said:

"Sam Ashworth-Hayes
    @SAshworthHayes

An entirely different person in a very similar mood

“For me it’s the government taking half the wages of my 9 hour day to subsidise zone 1 housing for the lime bike bandits that just tried to steal my phone for second time in two months & if I tweet accurately about who they or what should be done I risk going to prison”

https://x.com/g0adm/status/1823105907175067701?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

This feels like a vibe-shift. BAD for Starmer
  • StereodogStereodog Posts: 570
    HYUFD said:

Jenrick 9
    Tugendhat 5
    Stride 5
    Badenoch 5
    Cleverly 4
    Patel 4

Mel Stride is doing quite well for a complete non entity.
    HYUFD said:

Jenrick 9
    Tugendhat 5
    Stride 5
    Badenoch 5
    Cleverly 4
    Patel 4

So few have declared that we can't really make any judgements from this data.
    Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

No it isn't.

Get a bloody grip.

The public are more sensible than we give them credit for. Most people rightly accept that at the moment any problems with migration and asylum are bugger all to do with the new administration. That will and should change as time goes on though.
    I reckon it’s changed already. Because, riots
This discussion has been closed.