Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Thoughts and prayers for Donald Trump watching Fox News, meanwhile on CNN – politicalbetting.com

13»

Comments

• darkagedarkage Posts: 5,198
    Regarding the 'public sector pay increase', I don't know if it will impact on me. However, what I do know is that, as has been the case for the last year I have been doing the job, I can just leave and almost immediately double my wage working as a contractor, for which there still appears to be unlimited demand. Also, when I worked previously as a contractor, the 5% annual pay increases were automatic and negotiated by the agency.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,393
    GIN1138 said:

KnightOut said:

It's not true that only wealthy pensioners who don't need the Winter Fuel Allowance and won't miss it are the only ones affected.

There is a significant group of older people out there who are poor, but for whom 'benefits' are stigmatised or simply mysterious. Those who don't get Pension Credits because they don't know how to claim the benefit, don't feel 'right' in doing so, don't know they're entitled to it, and so on. Some are 'too proud' to even want to know. And are poorer because of it.

We have this collective idea that the poorest people in society are those 'on benefits'. But the very poorest group of all are those who are entitled to, but missing out on, these benefits.

The problem with making Benefit X conditional on being an existing recipient of Benefit Y is that it will result in this gap getting ever wider.

There are also a lot of pensioners who don't qualify for pension credit and who are part of the just about managing.
    There are also a lot of workers who don't qualify and who are not managing.

Why should they be taxed to give money to those who have neither earned nor need the money?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,853

HYUFD said:

Nunu5 said:

The judges must release the identity of the killer. Otherwise there will be a massive racist conspiratorial fervor. It's in the public interest

If the rumours on twitter are true it will not calm immigration concerns at all, he was also reportedly on a security agency watch list and clearly radicalised though obviously not confirmed
    Believe nothing on Twitter/X. Most of the posts are bots and could easily be foreign directed. Expect everything to be disinfo unless from a reputable source, although no reputable source will be naming the individual.
    The Telegraph reports the alleged killer moved to Stockport with his Rwandan parents aged 6

https://x.com/Suffragent_/status/1818028146794578220
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nunu5 said:

The judges must release the identity of the killer. Otherwise there will be a massive racist conspiratorial fervor. It's in the public interest

If the rumours on twitter are true it will not calm immigration concerns at all, he was also reportedly on a security agency watch list and clearly radicalised though obviously not confirmed
    Believe nothing on Twitter/X. Most of the posts are bots and could easily be foreign directed. Expect everything to be disinfo unless from a reputable source, although no reputable source will be naming the individual.
    The Telegraph reports the alleged killer moved to Stockport with his Rwandan parents aged 6

You snipped out that he was "originally from Cardiff" but referenced the nationality of his parents - why?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,134
    GIN1138 said:

KnightOut said:

It's not true that only wealthy pensioners who don't need the Winter Fuel Allowance and won't miss it are the only ones affected.

There is a significant group of older people out there who are poor, but for whom 'benefits' are stigmatised or simply mysterious. Those who don't get Pension Credits because they don't know how to claim the benefit, don't feel 'right' in doing so, don't know they're entitled to it, and so on. Some are 'too proud' to even want to know. And are poorer because of it.

We have this collective idea that the poorest people in society are those 'on benefits'. But the very poorest group of all are those who are entitled to, but missing out on, these benefits.

The problem with making Benefit X conditional on being an existing recipient of Benefit Y is that it will result in this gap getting ever wider.

There are also a lot of pensioners who don't qualify for pension credit and who are part of the "just about managing"
    https://www.theguardian.com/society/article/2024/jul/29/up-to-2m-pensioners-will-struggle-without-winter-fuel-help-say-campaigners
    edited July 29

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nunu5 said:

You snipped out that he was "originally from Cardiff" but referenced the nationality of his parents - why?
    As it was a factual statement, I didn't say he was born and raised in Rwanda even if his parents were
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nunu5 said:

As it was a factual statement, I didn't say he was born and raised in Rwanda even if his parents were
    It was part of a longer original factual statement.

That he was originally from Cardiff was the original leading pat of the original factual statement, but you omitted that.

I find it interesting what you choose to omit and what you choose to repeat.
  • DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 656

Everything is fine

Bruno Maçães
    @MacaesBruno
    The IDF has removed units from the war of extermination in Gaza in order to fight armed militias threatening to take over a military base in order to ensure the military’s right to rape Palestinian prisoners

https://x.com/MacaesBruno/status/1818048917352694264

Strange. I don't speak hebrew but if I click "translate this post" on the one he's quoting it doesn't say that.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nunu5 said:

It was part of a longer original factual statement.

That he was originally from Cardiff was the original leading pat of the original factual statement, but you omitted that.

I find it interesting what you choose to omit and what you choose to repeat.
    Think what you want, he was also allegedly on an MI6 watch list having been radicalised, 'from Cardiff' or not
  • DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 656
    edited July 29
    darkage said:

Regarding the 'public sector pay increase', I don't know if it will impact on me. However, what I do know is that, as has been the case for the last year I have been doing the job, I can just leave and almost immediately double my wage working as a contractor, for which there still appears to be unlimited demand. Also, when I worked previously as a contractor, the 5% annual pay increases were automatic and negotiated by the agency.

This doesn't surprise me at all. An equivalent public sector role to mine when I looked at it was paying less than a 1/3rd. I am entirely for these pay rises, they're essential to get talent.

(That doesn't mean we shouldn't be firing a lot of non jobs at the same time if they exist. I've no clue.)
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,185

Everything is fine

Bruno Maçães
    @MacaesBruno
    The IDF has removed units from the war of extermination in Gaza in order to fight armed militias threatening to take over a military base in order to ensure the military’s right to rape Palestinian prisoners

Strange. I don't speak hebrew but if I click "translate this post" on the one he's quoting it doesn't say that.
    He was a good follow on Brexit and the Pandemic, but he's had a shocker on Gaza.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,472

Everything is fine

Bruno Maçães
    @MacaesBruno

Who said it did?
    Feel free to provide your own interpretation of events.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nunu5 said:

Or Southport rather
  • TresTres Posts: 2,621
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nunu5 said:

Nah, Southport. Stockport is what all the racists in Twitter are saying.
    edited July 29

darkage said:

This doesn't surprise me at all. An equivalent public sector role to mine when I looked at it was paying less than a 1/3rd. I am entirely for these pay rises, they're essential to get talent.

(That doesn't mean we shouldn't be firing a lot of non jobs at the same time if they exist. I've no clue.)
    Not sure doctors should be getting a 22% pay rise though, way above what the average taxpaying worker and indeed most public sector workers are getting
    Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nunu5 said:

It really doesn't matter what you call it, if it turns out he was a radicalised extremist on an MI6 watch list questions will be asked
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,185
    HYUFD said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nunu5 said:

It really doesn't matter what you call it, if it turns out he was a radicalised extremist on an MI6 watch list questions will be asked
    It's the watchlist not the 24 hour surveillance list.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,134
    HYUFD said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nunu5 said:

The only people claiming that are no names on twitter who have also been making other wild claims that have turned out to be definitely incorrect and also how would they know about MI6 watch lists.

HYUFD said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nunu5 said:

The only people claiming that are no names on twitter who have also been making other wild claims that have turned out to be definitely incorrect and also how would they know about MI6 watch lists.
    Are you saying that people who can't tell the difference between Stockport and Southport and only want to racebait may not be the most reputable people to listen to?
  • YokesYokes Posts: 1,309
    edited July 29

Everything is fine

Bruno Maçães
    @MacaesBruno

Who said it did?
    Feel free to provide your own interpretation of events.
    Let me clear it up for you all.

IDF investigation into treatment of Palestinian prisoners at a particular base. Investigation reports serious abuses against prisoners. Police go to site and a standoff between an IDF unit on the base plus local supporters who all seem to be have decided to be wearing their kippahs has ensued. Two battlions of the IDF have reportedly been sent to the base with Lt General Halevi, who is IDF Chief of Staff calling it 'anarchy' that such a stand off should occur. Reportedly he is going to site himself.

In short he is intending to end the standoff and deal with it. Chances are local unit or members within will be stood down and the locals supporting them will be ejected.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,421
    edited July 29
    carnforth said:

HYUFD said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nunu5 said:

Domestic terrorists would be watched by MI5 in any case.

Mistaking Stockport for Southport and obsessed with MI6? Has our usual Saturday visitor got a few bots on X?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,505
    https://x.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1817920448253854046

“Kyiv Post obtained an exclusive photo Monday, July 29 from sources in Ukraine’s defense and security sector showing Tuareg rebels posing with a Ukrainian flag after having just dealt a major defeat to Russian state-funded Wagner mercenaries in Mali”
  • YokesYokes Posts: 1,309

carnforth said:

HYUFD said:

Tres said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nunu5 said:

Domestic terrorists would be watched by MI5 in any case.

Mistaking Stockport for Southport and obsessed with MI6? Has our usual Saturday visitor got a few bots on X?
    More domestic suspects are watched by the police force in that area than will be watched by MI5 and other supporting outfits. The proportion of active person-person intensive observation versus watchlist is a mere fraction. A lot of watchlist people are usually just observed on an opportunistic basis.

• Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,251
    Allan Lichtman, whose model has correctly predicted the winner of every American presidential election since 1984, says Harris is on course to win as things stand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG1tEH77tzA
    Andy_JS said:

Allan Lichtman, whose model has correctly predicted the winner of every American presidential election since 1984, says Harris is on course to win as things stand.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/historian-predicted-election-1984-reveals-likely-win-trump-harris-matchup
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,406
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/historian-predicted-election-1984-reveals-likely-win-trump-harris-matchup
    He had Biden to win also, which I think would have eventually turned out to be correct but wouldn't have revealed itself in polling in the way the Harris seemingly is doing.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,406
    Marianne Williamson has suspended her campaign for the Democratic nomination.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,356
    GIN1138 said:

Yokes said:

I'd not crow too much. Unlike 2020 where Trump always looked like he would lose, he is very much in this one.

Yeah, I'm not sure how this one will go. In 2016 I always knew it would be Trump. In 2020 I always thought Biden.

I'm genuinely unsure about 2024.
    I don't think anyone is certain of Trump losing; it's a coin toss for now.
    But the comparison is really with a week or so back when everyone was certain Biden would lose.
    edited July 30
    'He’s got the Midwest grit, the Midwest sensibility’: Why Tim Walz is suddenly in the hunt for VP
    https://www.politico.com/news/2024/07/29/tim-walz-kamala-harris-vp-pick-00171746

Roy Cooper has withdrawn from consideration.
    Fox News polls have found ties or virtual ties in the 3 most important battleground states of MI, PA, WI.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 20,949
    Andy_JS said:

If memory serves he has the best record of the modellers. His closest rival is Helmut Norpoth (who shat the bed in 2020, for covid reasons), and he's also predicting POTUS Harris
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 20,949
    Nigelb said:

'He’s got the Midwest grit, the Midwest sensibility’: Why Tim Walz is suddenly in the hunt for VP
    https://www.politico.com/news/2024/07/29/tim-walz-kamala-harris-vp-pick-00171746

Godsdammit! Roy Cooper was my pick. Also he can deliver South Carolina. Shapiro (not that one) could deliver Pennsylvania. Walz can deliver...Minnesota? Yay?
    Pulpstar said:

Marianne Williamson has suspended her campaign for the Democratic nomination.

Can't say I've heard of her before.
  • WillGWillG Posts: 2,366
    viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

Godsdammit! Roy Cooper was my pick. Also he can deliver South Carolina. Shapiro (not that one) could deliver Pennsylvania. Walz can deliver...Minnesota? Yay?
    Roy Cooper is from North Carolina.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 26,966
    ydoethur said:

viewcode said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:
    Robert Jenrick? Kill me now.
    Bloke's a Cambridge educated lawyer.

We'd be lucky to have him.
    Because the track record for PM lawyers is good?

Thinks
    Churchill was a soldier politician, Attlee was a politician, Eden was ?, Macmillan was a soldier and publisher, D-H was a lord, Wilson was a don and statistician, Callaghan was a sailor, Thatcher a scientist and barrister, Major a banker, Blair a barrister, Brown a lecturer, Cameron in the media, May a banker, Johnson a commentator, Truss an accountant(!), Sunak a merchant banker

So you need a soldier or a scientist. Who's the closest?
    Attlee was a barrister, before he became a soldier.
    And Cameron was in public relations rather than the creative or business side of media. Like, erm, Priti Patel.

Cleverly: soldier
    Tugendhat: soldier (spy?)
    Priti: PR
    Jenrick: Cambridge-educated lawyer
    Kemi: computers which is a sort-of science
    Mel Who?: Oxford PPE like Cameron; President of the Oxford Union like Boris

Pulpstar said:

There's a name going round social media but I think it's someone mucking as it translates to "My apartment"

This basically bursts the bubble of most of the nonsense going around on social media.

The youth, who cannot be named for legal reasons and is originally from Cardiff, moved to the Southport area with his Rwandan parents when he was aged six.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/07/29/southport-major-incident-stabbing-police/
    The good people of Cardiff must be wondering why their town is even mentioned if he left aged six.

HYUFD said:

Nunu5 said:

I've got a hundred followers on TwiX, adding one a day or so, despite having never tweeted anything. Presumably it's a bot army building its credibility.
    viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

The 'can deliver' a state thing is seriously over-egged IMO.
    But Shapiro is favourite, even if there's a whole lot of 'but he's Jewish' going on.

It's just that Walz has put himself in contention. Also has the advantage of bekng the same age as Harris, and therefore not a threat to the ambitions of the next generation.

• Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,502
    Good morning, everyone.

F1: Sainz to Williams is finally announced. That's a very good driver lineup for a backmarker team.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/ck5gw7n0gplo

Also, more surprisingly, Perez is apparently keeping his seat.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/cw0yzjzxdjpo
    Trump complaining that gasoline prices are too low.
    https://x.com/RpsAgainstTrump/status/1818027475445878866
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,456
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

Two of the kids have died. This is a rare instance where the death penalty makes sense to me, it's cut and dried and society gains nothing by keeping this absolute **** locked up for 60+ years.

Hopefully a prison warden will let slip the identity and the other prisoners will deal with him.

Two children who have had their lives snatched away from them, two families absolutely devastated tonight. I can't imagine how horrible it must be for those parents who put their kids in the daycare not realising what was about to happen.

Every parent in the country is horrified by this, I know my wife and I both are, life in jail just doesn't seem to be enough. If it was my child that had been murdered I'd want to pull the trigger myself.

Respectfully disagree.
    Two children have died.
    Killing a third won't make it any better.
    At 17 if a person doesn't know not to murder children and babies then their moral compass will never be correct. He is a psychopath and I don't see what society gains by having him locked up for 60+ years.
    Society gains by not having the death penalty.

Miscarriages of justices happen. There is no death penalty system in the world, ever, that doesn't risk executing an innocent person.

A wrongly convicted person can be released, even after decades. A wrongly executed person can't be brought back to life.
    As I said, rare instance.
    Like Stefan Kiszko?

Guilty of abducting, raping and murdering little Leslie Moleseed, only it turned out he didn't. But the police thought he was "odd" so he must be guilty.

Hanging and flogging Home Secretary David Waddington was his Defence Barrister, who also thought him "odd" and hence guilty.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,913
    edited July 30
    ohnotnow said:

GIN1138 said:

If Jeremy Hunt wanted to throw his hat in the ring for Con leadership, I don't think he's done his chances any harm at all with his response to Reeves statement.

If not, the new leader should keep him on as shadow Chancellor.

Didn't the deadline close today? Today's performance certainly gets him a seat in the Lords (and a few boardrooms) when he stands down mind you.
    I don't think Hunt's intervention yesterday was the tour de force people make it out to be. It's a very confused message: Labour did know what a bad state he left the finances in; actually the finances were great; doesn't explain why Labour would want to raise taxes unnecessary except that's what they always do.

Nevertheless he's the only Conservative actively challenging the new incumbents, so brownie points for that.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,687
    Nigelb said:

"Lying Kamala"? "Crazy Kamala"?

Not gifted with much awareness of irony.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,097

FPT...

How did Tommy Robinson just get on the EuroStar, especially with much increased pre-departure checks?

He was stopped by police, but apparently they weren't allowed to stop him! :shrugemoji:
    I thought he had just been arrested under terrorism legislation? I presumed that would be bail with condition not to be leaving the country and that you can't just walk onto EuroStar if that's the case?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cjerxd00rlxo

The court heard the police officers who had held Yaxley-Lennon had no power to stop him leaving the UK.
    Arhh so the court deemed he has basically been falsely arrested again. The use of counter-terrorism powers did seem extreme, I presumed there was more going on, but sounds like the police messed up again.
    I don't see how you reach that conclusion. The police made a decision. I'm not aware of the court inputting into that decision, but IANAL.
    Sorry I misread that it was his lawyers were claiming this, although the court have delayed any arrest warrant for now, so obviously they don't deem it was necessary to have him arrested.

The initial reporting was weird about being arrested under terrorism legislation combined with the (delayed) arrest warrant for the other case, so how would anybody be able to just then walk onto a train. It sounds like he was being a dick about stop and search, but then police realising they shouldn't really have arrested him under that legislation and hence why no bail conditions, and could leave on the Eurostar back to where ever he lives these days (I think Majorca).

For a bankrupt that hasn't had a job for years, he seems to live a very luxury life unencumbered by money worries.
    He was released on bail (albeit unconditional bail). If the police had realised that "they shouldn't really have arrested him under that legislation", wouldn't he just have been released fully?
    Perhaps, seems a huge stretch to arrest somebody under terrorism legislation for objecting to stop and search. If they really had something on him, he isn't going to be allowed unconditional bail. I think it will just all get dropped, as he already in big trouble with the courts of something more serious.
    Reading the piece carefully, one comes to the conclusion that any police stop and search at a border is under the anti-terrorism legislation, as opposed to just this particular individual.

They stopped him, searched him despite him being a dick about it for some time, but didn’t have a reason to formally detain him (he hadn’t actually missed a court appearance and wasn’t officially wanted) so had to let him leave.

He’ll probably show up on TV watching the Olympic swimming this afternoon.
    Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

The 'can deliver' a state thing is seriously over-egged IMO.
    But Shapiro is favourite, even if there's a whole lot of 'but he's Jewish' going on.

It's just that Walz has put himself in contention. Also has the advantage of bekng the same age as Harris, and therefore not a threat to the ambitions of the next generation.

Tim Walz shows the problem with this market, as does JD Vance. VP picks can seem arbitrary to the outsider, and names move in and out of the frame seemingly at random.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,010

rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

Jeremy Hunt has written to the Cabinet Secretary:

https://x.com/Jeremy_Hunt/status/1818011536335704150

There is a clear issue here: either the spending plans in Estimates signed off by Senior Civil Servants and presented to Parliament are incorrect, or the document the Chancellor has produced to the House today is incorrect.

I'm not quite sure what to make of this. If Reeves is right about the current state of finances, and I assume she is, then I think Hunt is right then surely some civil servants are in big trouble also?

Responsibility of chief accounting officer was a very big deal for perm secs when I was in govt.
    https://x.com/annemcelvoy/status/1818018964414325208

Labour will be regretting that Jeremy Hunt didn’t lose his seat.
    Hunt should have stood for leader.
    FF43 said:

ohnotnow said:

GIN1138 said:

If Jeremy Hunt wanted to throw his hat in the ring for Con leadership, I don't think he's done his chances any harm at all with his response to Reeves statement.

Didn't the deadline close today? Today's performance certainly gets him a seat in the Lords (and a few boardrooms) when he stands down mind you.
    I don't think Hunt's intervention yesterday was the tour de force people make it out to be. It's a very confused message: Labour did know what a bad state he left the finances in; actually the finances were great; doesn't explain why Labour would want to raise taxes unnecessary except that's what they always do.

Nevertheless he's the only Conservative actively challenging the new incumbents, so brownie points for that.
    Hunt is shadow chancellor. Challenging the actual chancellor is his job.
  • IcarusIcarus Posts: 977

rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

There is a clear issue here: either the spending plans in Estimates signed off by Senior Civil Servants and presented to Parliament are incorrect, or the document the Chancellor has produced to the House today is incorrect.

I'm not quite sure what to make of this. If Reeves is right about the current state of finances, and I assume she is, then I think Hunt is right then surely some civil servants are in big trouble also?

Responsibility of chief accounting officer was a very big deal for perm secs when I was in govt.

No who seriously wants to be PM would want to be the first Conservative leader after the defeat. It is a thankless 18 -24 month role.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,016
    Chris said:

Nigelb said:

"Lying Kamala"? "Crazy Kamala"?

Not gifted with much awareness of irony.
    Nothing seems to change the polling in this race. Biden talking to long-dead foreign leaders didn't, Trump getting convicted barely changed anything, Biden's disastrous debate performance hardly registered, and now even Dems changing candidate hasn't changed the polls much. A better nickname for Harris isn't going to do it.

There's, what, 45+% of those who can be bothered to vote who'll vote for Trump come what may, and 45+% against Trump.

So it's going to be close.

Or are there lots of potential voters who are sick of current politics who'll actually turn out for Harris and put an end to the Trump era, but aren't showing up yet in the polls? It'd make sense to me, but the US is a strange country.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,379

rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

He'd have made a lot of sense, especially in a Michael Howard "minding the shop while the next generation work out which of them are actually any good" role.

However, that requires the Conservative Party to

a) have the self-awareness to recognise that they are more likely (not definitely, but more likely) picking a LotO to stand down in 2028 than a PM for 2029

b) forgive him for unwinding the whackier excesses of Truss

c) forgive him for opposing Boris in 2019

and I don't personally think any of those is on the cards
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,724

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nunu5 said:

Stockport now?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,591

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

Two of the kids have died. This is a rare instance where the death penalty makes sense to me, it's cut and dried and society gains nothing by keeping this absolute **** locked up for 60+ years.

Hopefully a prison warden will let slip the identity and the other prisoners will deal with him.

Two children who have had their lives snatched away from them, two families absolutely devastated tonight. I can't imagine how horrible it must be for those parents who put their kids in the daycare not realising what was about to happen.

Every parent in the country is horrified by this, I know my wife and I both are, life in jail just doesn't seem to be enough. If it was my child that had been murdered I'd want to pull the trigger myself.

Respectfully disagree.
    Two children have died.
    Killing a third won't make it any better.
    At 17 if a person doesn't know not to murder children and babies then their moral compass will never be correct. He is a psychopath and I don't see what society gains by having him locked up for 60+ years.
    Society gains by not having the death penalty.

Miscarriages of justices happen. There is no death penalty system in the world, ever, that doesn't risk executing an innocent person.

A wrongly convicted person can be released, even after decades. A wrongly executed person can't be brought back to life.
    As I said, rare instance.
    Like Stefan Kiszko?

Guilty of abducting, raping and murdering little Leslie Moleseed, only it turned out he didn't. But the police thought he was "odd" so he must be guilty.

Hanging and flogging Home Secretary David Waddington was his Defence Barrister, who also thought him "odd" and hence guilty.
    Or Letby?

Should she have had the hood and noose?
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 9,994
    darkage said:

With the death penalty, I am coming to the view that it is just something that we have to do; it isn't what I want, but it is needed in order to reset the circuit on criminal justice policy. At the moment we have created a system of very long and whole life jail sentences because there is an idea that some prisoners don't have any possibility of redemption or rehabilitation. But these jail sentences (ie where there is no hope of progress through the system and no chance of release) are actually a form of torture. People need to face up to the question whether these people should instead be executed rather than just kept away forever. What purpose is keeping them alive serving?

So, we need the death penalty as a form of mercy for people who have committed the worst crimes?

Everything is fine

Bruno Maçães
    @MacaesBruno

You can read BBC coverage of events at https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c2q07kd3ld6o
    edited July 30

FF43 said:

ohnotnow said:

GIN1138 said:

Hunt is shadow chancellor. Challenging the actual chancellor is his job.
    Jeremy Hunt tweets about the contradiction between the Chancellor's numbers and those signed off by himself and the Conservative government:-

Following statements made in the House, I have written to the Cabinet Secretary on the concerning contradiction between the Main Estimates put before Parliament last week and the document presented by the Chancellor today.

Tweet includes letter to Cabinet Secretary.

Everything is fine

Bruno Maçães
    @MacaesBruno

The most moral army in the world under the guidance of Smodrich and Gvir have been misbehaving -if you call raping and torturing Palestinian prisoners misbehaving-and surprisingly some Israeli citizens are crying foul. Most not. The result is likely to be that the Lebanese provide the distraction. The good news is that Netanyahu can sail on regardless. Phew!
    HYUFD said:

darkage said:

Not sure doctors should be getting a 22% pay rise though, way above what the average taxpaying worker and indeed most public sector workers are getting
    It’s 22% over 2 years and after a long period of below inflation pay rises.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,128
    Just watching Reeves on Sky. Barefaced lies.

You should pace yourself better.

We have a decade of Reeves as Chancellor to look forward to.

While the Tories select between the sextet of numpties.
    edited July 30
    Foxy said:

Oh not in the least, Reeves is vulnerable to her 180 degree turns no point in letting her off the hook.

She;s burning up her credibility at a fair rate of knots,

Looking forward to the hash she'll make of October,

• JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,280
    Foxy said:

Which is an interesting response, as you do not deny she lied.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,343

Sorry but there is no way that cutting the Winter Fuel allowance was planned - and that tells me all I needed to know - that the finances were well and truely screwed.

She's really got to you hasn't she? Whan did it start? Were you refused planning permission for Ludlow High Street's fifth Conservative Club?
    Over the years my view on the death penalty has swung to and fro.

But yesterday's story from Southport... it just makes me want to bring it back.

Except the perpetrator was apparently only 17.

dixiedean said:

You would think, given a career of indolence, followed by a long retirement on a huge pension that folk would be fighting each other to work in the Public Sector.
    Given that we are all rational actors in the market place.
    But, strangely, they aren't.
    That paradox has never been quite resolved.
    Mysterious.

Quite so. And as for all these 'public sector fatcats' on pensions of £50-80k a year, referenced earlier, I'd love to know how many of them there are - not many, I'd guess. I was a pretty highly paid civil servant, and my pension is nowhere near that sort of amount - indeed, it's well below average earnings.

There's a lot of myths around public sector pensions, centred around a pretty small number of very senior staff who happen to have large pensions. The reality is much more mundane for most of us - not that I'm complaining, I have a decent pension.
    The Telegraph says it’s a bit under 5,000: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/tax/taxpayers-to-foot-25bn-bill-for-public-sector-pension-boost/

That’s out of about 6 million public sector workers, so less than 1 in 1000.

Foxy said:

Which is an interesting response, as you do not deny she lied.
    I have no idea if she lied or not.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,360

NEW THREAD

eek said:

Sorry but there is no way that cutting the Winter Fuel allowance was planned - and that tells me all I needed to know - that the finances were well and truely screwed.
    It's the Chancellors job to sort out money. She has had all the info she needs to make decisions. Now three weeks after she said she was ready for the job she is saying she didnt understand numbers.

The major moves on the budget are rewarding her supporters for which she wants to pretend the unevitable tax rises to pay for it are someone elses fault.

I could respect her if she stood up and said she was raising taxes to pay for the £11+ billion pay awards she wants to make. But just sleazing back to Blairite spin says shes shifty and will let politics dictate her agenda. So much for Country first Party second.
    eek said:

It shows how irresponsible Hunt was to cut NI, without any funded source to cover the gap.

The Tories left scorched earth.

https://www.facebook.com/www.JOE.co.uk/videos/ian-hislop-revisits-his-encounter-priti-patel-over-the-death-penalty/366748804372081/
  • eekeek Posts: 27,343
    edited July 30

eek said:

It's the Chancellors job to sort out money. She has had all the info she needs to make decisions. Now three weeks after she said she was ready for the job she is saying she didnt understand numbers.

The major moves on the budget are rewarding her supporters for which she wants to pretend the unevitable tax rises to pay for it are someone elses fault.

I could respect her if she stood up and said she was raising taxes to pay for the £11+ billion pay awards she wants to make. But just sleazing back to Blairite spin says shes shifty and will let politics dictate her agenda. So much for Country first Party second.
    You don't respect her because she wears a red rosette - that's been blatantly obvious since early July.

You are then trying to seek reasons to attack her without grasping that most on here know she's been left a mountain of shite to clear up because Hunt cut NI using money that didn't exist...

But lets look at your points.

Many public sector areas are losing staff rapidly. I can think of multiple local councils who now have no senior planning offices because they've all left and the remaining ones are there out of their sense of duty (and a possible dislike of what they would need to do in private practice). Hence pay rises are essential.

And that problem was actually created by the Tory party - they decided that another year of below private sector pay increases for the public sector was fine - because it moved the figures into a position that allowed Hunt to cut 1p of NI.

Oh and the tax rises are coming but they can't be implemented in July because Reeves said a full OBR review would be required and that takes 6 weeks - hence the October budget. Yesterday was just fire fighting...

• Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,335
    Simply waking up every day knowing that the BoZo fan club are no longer in charge is a joy, but the meltdown from the usual suspects on here, this hard, this early, is an unexpected bonus
    Scott_xP said:

Simply waking up every day knowing that the BoZo fan club are no longer in charge is a joy, but the meltdown from the usual suspects on here, this hard, this early, is an unexpected bonus

Given you're a "natural Tory" at what point does the reality of what the new Labour government are doing start to overtake your colossal bitterness?
    Scott_xP said:

Who are the 'usual suspects' ?
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,241

Hunt very effective at undermining this yesterday. Clear, specific, measured and vouched. It remains a serious disappointment that he is not in the race to be leader.
    Icarus said:

rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

No who seriously wants to be PM would want to be the first Conservative leader after the defeat. It is a thankless 18 -24 month role.
    Lots of public service roles are thankless. Few get into the really big roles in Government, and then get thanked for it.

That doesn't mean they're still not very important.

"Let him have it Chris".

Christopher Craig who murdered a policeman after a robbery gone wrong wasn't yet 18. He was released after a life sentence. Derek Bentley, his accomplice was over 18 and was hanged despite being unarmed.

Did Bentley, who was already in custody mean let him have the gun, or the round?
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,904
    MaxPB said:

Awks, from the Labour Chief Secretary to the Treasury in Nov 2023.

The Paymaster General has suggested stripping some older people of the Winter Fuel Payment.

I’ve written to the Chancellor asking him to clarify whether he is considering this for the Autumn Statement.

Pensioners mustn’t be forced to bear the brunt of Tory economic failure.

https://x.com/darrenpjones/status/1726503349036748968

Dare we hope that we get the '"... independent review" of the triple lock' next then?
    Means test the state pension entirely.
    Increase tax for greedy gobshites more like

GIN1138 said:

Just an impression you sometimes give off @MaxPB and @BartholomewRoberts Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick. 👍

I've never said anything more than that pensioners should have the same tax rate as everyone else.
    You F***ing thick as mince idiot they already have the same tax rate as everyone else
    edited July 30

GIN1138 said:

Just an impression you sometimes give off @MaxPB and @BartholomewRoberts Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick. 👍

I am in agreement with Max and Bart. All benefits including child allowance and state pension should be means tested. At the same time end the myth about NI and accept it is just another tax. Scrap voluntary contributions and make the pension available to everyone who meets the means tested criteria irrespectve of how much they have worked or paid.
    Easy to say when you are loaded, amazing the fcukwits on here , dripping with money who pontificate about taxing poor pensioners on a pitiful pension. Especially given they have paid 50 years for it.

KnightOut said:

Didn't the winter fuel allowance come in for exactly those reasons that pensioners were struggling and often too proud or found it too difficult to access benefits that might help them? The thought was that 80-90 year olds having to fill in a load of paperwork all for £200-300 can be difficult and confusing. And it was just much easier / cheaper not to go through mean testing it.
    Liek most of the means tested crap , it costs more to administer than actually just pay it, see prescriptions in Scotland. Means testing cost more than giving all free.
    Scott_xP said:

It devalues the site unfortunately.

The Field Marshal has posted the same unhinged critique of Reeves about fifty times in the last 18 hours. And yet not a peep out of them when Johnson was bringing his party and the nation into disrepute and Truss soiled herself so badly she was forced out by 49 days.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,410
    Roger said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nunu5 said:

Stockport now?
    It might be nice, for a change, if people remembered there are victims here. Children have been killed, families bereaved, rather than trying to score cheap points over the ethnicity or origins of the perpetrator. The whole debate yesterday, on both sides, was rather depressing. Now it is being stoked up again today. Sad.

"Let him have it Chris".

Christopher Craig who murdered a policeman after a robbery gone wrong wasn't yet 18. He was released after a life sentence. Derek Bentley, his accomplice was over 18 and was hanged despite being unarmed.

Did Bentley, who was already in custody mean let him have the gun, or the round?
    Yes, I'm aware of the issues. I think I can perhaps put it like this: my rational side is pretty much against the death penalty; the arguments against it are manyfold and strong. Then something like yesterday's tragedy happen, and the emotional side takes over.

Scott_xP said:

The Field Marshal has posted the same unhinged critique of Reeves about fifty times in the last 18 hours. And yet not a peep out of them when Johnson was bringing his party and the nation into disrepute and Truss soiled herself so badly she was forced out by 49 days.
    This is just simply the reverse of how the Labour fanatics have behaved on here. It is amazing how, for instance, politicians flying around in helicopters or private jets suddenly became acceptable post July 5th as an example and Labour clearly can do no wrong. Reeves is an economic genius apparently.

You're just as bad as each other. Your own side are virtuous, your enemies lacking in virtue.

The Lib Dem fanatics, just as bad.
    malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

I've never said anything more than that pensioners should have the same tax rate as everyone else.
    You F***ing thick as mince idiot they already have the same tax rate as everyone else
    Morning Malc, hope you are well.
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 30
    Deleted
    HYUFD said:

darkage said:

It is a scandal, typical Labour though
    Taz said:

malcolmg said:

GIN1138 said:

Morning Malc, hope you are well.
    Morning Taz, yes doing well , come back on here and see all the rich gits still want pensioners even more impoverished than they are , unbelievable the arseholes you get on here.
    Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

This is just simply the reverse of how the Labour fanatics have behaved on here. It is amazing how, for instance, politicians flying around in helicopters or private jets suddenly became acceptable post July 5th as an example and Labour clearly can do no wrong. Reeves is an economic genius apparently.

You're just as bad as each other. Your own side are virtuous, your enemies lacking in virtue.

The Lib Dem fanatics, just as bad.
    Two cheeks of the same arse Taz.
This discussion has been closed.