Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Thoughts and prayers for Donald Trump watching Fox News, meanwhile on CNN – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,030
edited August 4 in General
Thoughts and prayers for Donald Trump watching Fox News, meanwhile on CNN – politicalbetting.com

I’m sure Trump will enjoy watching Fox today as they review their latest polls. pic.twitter.com/8GbIap6Erh

Read the full story here

Comments

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,995
    FPT:

tlg86 said:

It's all well and good the police asking people not to speculate on Southport, but what do they expect?

People to have some common sense and not be racist?
    This is just about as bad as it gets. Saying "we don't think it's terrorism" is pretty insulting. This is the very definition of terrorism irrespective of who the perpetrator is and what their motives might be.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,266
    Second.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,740
    edited July 29
    First, and I’m not even a Cambridge educated lawyer.
    Edit. That’s why I'm only third.
    Second.

If you were you'd have got a Third.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,480
    What's the more reliable indicator in these states:

Favourability, or headline voting intention?

Edit. Thats why I'm only third.

First, in the same way the Tories will be 'first' if they pick Jenrick as leader?
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 9,994
    FPT...

How did Tommy Robinson just get on the EuroStar, especially with much increased pre-departure checks?

He was stopped by police, but apparently they weren't allowed to stop him! :shrugemoji:
    I thought he had just been arrested under terrorism legislation? I presumed that would be bail with condition not to be leaving the country and that you can't just walk onto EuroStar if that's the case?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cjerxd00rlxo

The court heard the police officers who had held Yaxley-Lennon had no power to stop him leaving the UK.
    Arhh so the court deemed he has basically been falsely arrested again. The use of counter-terrorism powers did seem extreme, I presumed there was more going on, but sounds like the police messed up again.
    I don't see how you reach that conclusion. The police made a decision. I'm not aware of the court inputting into that decision, but IANAL.
    Sorry I misread that it was his lawyers were claiming this, although the court have delayed any arrest warrant for now, so obviously they don't deem it was necessary to have him arrested.

The initial reporting was weird about being arrested under terrorism legislation combined with the (delayed) arrest warrant for the other case, so how would anybody be able to just then walk onto a train. It sounds like he was being a dick about stop and search, but then police realising they shouldn't really have arrested him under that legislation and hence why no bail conditions, and could leave on the Eurostar back to where ever he lives these days (I think Majorca).

For a bankrupt that hasn't had a job for years, he seems to live a very luxury life unencumbered by money worries.
    He was released on bail (albeit unconditional bail). If the police had realised that "they shouldn't really have arrested him under that legislation", wouldn't he just have been released fully?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,133
    edited July 29
    tlg86 said:

FPT:

tlg86 said:

It's all well and good the police asking people not to speculate on Southport, but what do they expect?

This is just about as bad as it gets. Saying "we don't think it's terrorism" is pretty insulting. This is the very definition of terrorism irrespective of who the perpetrator is and what their motives might be.
    It is also easy to insert some detail like not terrorism inspired / motivated by religious fundamentalism (or similar terminology) etc if you want to fill the vaccum.
    tlg86 said:

FPT:

tlg86 said:

OED.

"the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims".

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,360
    ydoethur said:

Prior to Labour Day it is favourability, then after Labour Day headline voting intention.

However if there is a big disconnect (see Cameron and Miliband in 2015) then go with favourability.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,895
    edited July 29
    Lets hope Harris can carry though through the Dem convention and campaign.
    tlg86 said:

FPT:

tlg86 said:

Well, apart from the fact that maybe it isn't.

ydoethur said:

Prior to Labour Day it is favourability, then after Labour Day headline voting intention.

However if there is a big disconnect (see Cameron and Miliband in 2015) then go with favourability.
    If we take that rule, Trump is more buggered than a rent boy in the Kremlin.
    dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

FPT:

tlg86 said:

OED.

"the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims".

You go and quote that at the families.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,393
    Thoughts and prayers for HYUFD too.

For some reason this isn't polling he's been quoting.
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    tlg86 said:

FPT:

tlg86 said:

Do not speculate = On no account think about Keith Vaz. Also, I am not sure what the police are for any more, but surely not to give us instructions about our mental processes?
    tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

FPT:

tlg86 said:

OED.

Your misunderstanding of what words mean isn't the families' problem. Don't claim their grief as if you own it.
    viewcode said:

RobD said:

Foxy said:
    Robert Jenrick? Kill me now.
    Bloke's a Cambridge educated lawyer.

We'd be lucky to have him.
    Because the track record for PM lawyers is good?

Thinks
    Churchill was a soldier politician, Attlee was a politician, Eden was ?, Macmillan was a soldier and publisher, D-H was a lord, Wilson was a don and statistician, Callaghan was a sailor, Thatcher a scientist and barrister, Major a banker, Blair a barrister, Brown a lecturer, Cameron in the media, May a banker, Johnson a commentator, Truss an accountant(!), Sunak a merchant banker

So you need a soldier or a scientist. Who's the closest?
    Attlee was a barrister, before he became a soldier.
    tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

FPT:

tlg86 said:

OED.

Why on Earth would I be so unkind? It's not like it would make any difference.
    tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

FPT:

tlg86 said:

OED.

Sublimely irrelevant
    edited July 29

FPT...

How did Tommy Robinson just get on the EuroStar, especially with much increased pre-departure checks?

He was stopped by police, but apparently they weren't allowed to stop him! :shrugemoji:
    I thought he had just been arrested under terrorism legislation? I presumed that would be bail with condition not to be leaving the country and that you can't just walk onto EuroStar if that's the case?

The court heard the police officers who had held Yaxley-Lennon had no power to stop him leaving the UK.
    Arhh so the court deemed he has basically been falsely arrested again. The use of counter-terrorism powers did seem extreme, I presumed there was more going on, but sounds like the police messed up again.
    I don't see how you reach that conclusion. The police made a decision. I'm not aware of the court inputting into that decision, but IANAL.
    Sorry I misread that it was his lawyers were claiming this, although the court have delayed any arrest warrant for now, so obviously they don't deem it was necessary to have him arrested.

The initial reporting was weird about being arrested under terrorism legislation combined with the (delayed) arrest warrant for the other case, so how would anybody be able to just then walk onto a train. It sounds like he was being a dick about stop and search, but then police realising they shouldn't really have arrested him under that legislation and hence why no bail conditions, and could leave on the Eurostar back to where ever he lives these days (I think Majorca).

For a bankrupt that hasn't had a job for years, he seems to live a very luxury life unencumbered by money worries.
    He was released on bail (albeit unconditional bail). If the police had realised that "they shouldn't really have arrested him under that legislation", wouldn't he just have been released fully?
    Perhaps, seems a huge stretch to arrest somebody under terrorism legislation for objecting to stop and search. If they really had something on him, he isn't going to be allowed unconditional bail. I think it will just all get dropped, as he already in big trouble with the courts of something more serious.

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

FPT:

tlg86 said:

OED.

Your misunderstanding of what words mean isn't the families' problem. Don't claim their grief as if you own it.
    Anyone with children or nieces/nephews will feel this very keenly. I cannot imagine what they're going through tonight.
    I think I'll use that Farage photo in the next few days.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,472
    22nd?
    A Tutu..

I think I'll use that Farage photo in the next few days.

Trigger warning...
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

FPT:

tlg86 said:

OED.

Anyone with children or nieces/nephews will feel this very keenly. I cannot imagine what they're going through tonight.
    They will, yes. Does you arguing over the definition of "terrorism" help any of us?

FPT...

Perhaps, seems a huge stretch to arrest somebody under terrorism legislation for objecting to stop and search. If they really had something on him, he isn't going to be allowed unconditional bail. I think it will just all get dropped, as he already in big trouble with the courts of something more serious.
    I remain not a lawyer, but I am in favour of police arresting people resisting stop and search at the Channel Tunnel terminal.
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

FPT:

tlg86 said:

OED.

So pretty much everyone, then? And even the childless and lacking fecund siblings probably don't feel good about it either.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,230
    Ha ha! Bye bye Donald.
    edited July 29

PB is at its worst when the usual Neighbourhood Watch suspects emerge to pontificate after incidents like this (Southport, Manchester Airport, etc. etc.) with the usual schtick: "I don't want to speculate, but..... " (speculation follows, usually trying to pin blame on some group or other).

Who has been speculating in this case? Leon seems AFK today.

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

FPT:

tlg86 said:

OED.

So pretty much everyone, then? And even the childless and lacking fecund siblings probably don't feel good about it either.
    Can someone check on the childless cat ladies?
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,529

PB is at its worst when the usual Neighbourhood Watch suspects emerge to pontificate after incidents like this (Southport, Manchester Airport, etc. etc.) with the usual schtick: "I don't want to speculate, but..... " (speculation follows, usually trying to pin blame on some group or other).

The incident sounds ghastly. I don't know why the police feel it necessary to say 'not thought to be terror related' unless they worry someone might think it is and do a copycat?

A 17 year old man from Cardiff. No idea what any of it means.
    On topic I don't think it will be even close and Kamala is still a huge value bet. Not topping up, but only because I have a reasonable sum on at 11.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,356
    So you’re saying Harris looks excellent value at 2.64 ?

The incident sounds ghastly. I don't know why the police feel it necessary to say 'not thought to be terror related' unless they worry someone might think it is and do a copycat?

No, they don't want people going out and setting fire to mosques is why they say that.

Thing is, if they're saying "not thought to be terror related", then they very much do know what it's related to. They should say.

On topic I don't think it will be even close and Kamala is still a huge value bet. Not topping up, but only because I have a reasonable sum on at 11.

It’s Man City v Luton (who coincidentally also play in orange). Though admittedly most people had a soft spot for Luton.
    Presidential Polling Among Suburban Women:

Current Poll:
    Harris: 52%
    Trump: 40%

Last Biden Poll:
    Biden: 44%
    Trump: 41%

HarrisX / July 25, 2024 / n=3013

https://x.com/USA_Polling/status/1817003578399297923

JD ‘Catlady’ Vance is not going to help with this.
  • Ha ha! Bye bye Donald.

There's always 2028.
    Nigelb said:

So you’re saying Harris looks excellent value at 2.64 ?

You talkin' to me?

If yes then yes, that's what I am saying.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,240

DavidL said:

The election in the US has gone from a foregone conclusion in favour of the Donald to a genuine toss up and, from Trump's point of view, the direction of travel is not favourable.

To say that I am both delighted and relieved at this would be an understatement.

But the finishing post is some distance away and, as Pidcock proved incredibly today, it ain't over until its over.

I don't think its a genuine toss up.

Kamala has the "big mo" and should be odds-on favourite in my view.
    Right now I would agree. Things are moving in her favour. But she has questions to answer (not least about letting a mental incompetent remain President on her watch) and miles to go before she sleeps.
    edited July 29

No, they don't want people going out and setting fire to mosques is why they say that.
    Its worth noting that even when there has been Islamist terrorism, for all the fears of the authorities, the backlash seems to always be overwhelming people spouting off on social media rather than burning down places of worship. People in the UK generally don't respond with flaming torches. Even the "far-right", I have heard experts been interviewed and said of those who the authorities actual fear might do something violent, we are talking 10s of people, possibly low 100s.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,251
    Nigelb said:

Current Poll:

Last Biden Poll:

Doesn't look good for Trump.

But that's an argument for denying terrorism on every occasion. Perhaps a bit more of a stiff upper lip after Manchester, the Finsbury Park attack wouldn't have happened? Or not. Who knows?

I disagree, I think they say not terror related because the individual is known to them and they have already decided the motive (usually mental health) but they daren't say it.

DavidL said:

The election in the US has gone from a foregone conclusion in favour of the Donald to a genuine toss up and, from Trump's point of view, the direction of travel is not favourable.

To say that I am both delighted and relieved at this would be an understatement.

But the finishing post is some distance away and, as Pidcock proved incredibly today, it ain't over until its over.

The turnaround has been so huge, people can’t bring themselves to believe it. But it’s true, and it’s only going one way from now until November.
    Nigelb said:

Current Poll:

Last Biden Poll:

The question really is why any woman would want to vote for a self-admitted "pussy grabber" ?
    tlg86 said:

But that's an argument for denying terrorism on every occasion. Perhaps a bit more of a stiff upper lip after Manchester, the Finsbury Park attack wouldn't have happened? Or not. Who knows?

I disagree, I think they say not terror related because the individual is known to them and they have already decided the motive (usually mental health) but they daren't say it.
    There is absolutely no reason why you, or other social media commentators, are owed a running commentary on what the police are doing. What is wrong with having some patience and some humility?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,591
    tlg86 said:

Maybe they actually want to make some enquires before drawing conclusions. Shocking as that may be...
    GIN1138 said:

Nigelb said:

Current Poll:

Last Biden Poll:

The question really is why any woman would want to vote for a self-admitted "pussy grabber" ?
    + convicted of sexual assault. For some reason most women don’t find that very appealing.
    Foxy said:

tlg86 said:

Maybe they actually want to make some enquires before drawing conclusions. Shocking as that may be...
    So, why rule out terrorism?
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,996

Ha ha! Bye bye Donald.

There's always 2028.
    Trump will be 82 then. Older than Biden is now.

It’s Man City v Luton (who coincidentally also play in orange). Though admittedly most people had a soft spot for Luton.
    Where's @Ave_it ?

GIN1138 said:

Nigelb said:

Current Poll:

Last Biden Poll:

+ convicted of sexual assault. For some reason most women don’t find that very appealing.
    Most women don't but he still gets 40% of "suburban women" saying they will vote for him, which is extraordinary really.
    edited July 29
    I think the reason for "not terror related" is simple.
    It signals it's a one off. No accomplices or sympathisers at large.
    So not the start of a series of events.
    edited July 29
    Awks, from the Labour Chief Secretary to the Treasury in Nov 2023.

The Paymaster General has suggested stripping some older people of the Winter Fuel Payment.

I’ve written to the Chancellor asking him to clarify whether he is considering this for the Autumn Statement.

Pensioners mustn’t be forced to bear the brunt of Tory economic failure.

https://x.com/darrenpjones/status/1726503349036748968
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,135
    Nigelb said:

Current Poll:

Last Biden Poll:

CORRECTION - JD "Kitty-litter" Vance.

OR if you prefer: JDK-LV

The Paymaster General has suggested stripping some older people of the Winter Fuel Payment.

I’ve written to the Chancellor asking him to clarify whether he is considering this for the Autumn Statement.

That was before they "looked at the books" ;)
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Right now I would agree. Things are moving in her favour. But she has questions to answer (not least about letting a mental incompetent remain President on her watch) and miles to go before she sleeps.
    Lots of reasons not to worry about the mental incompetence. For a start it's not proven (he is still potus) and secondly she's not his assistant or understudy, she is off doing VP stuff in a different state if not country 98% of the time. The people on Biden's personal team are in the firing line before she is. Unless it turns out he ordered an all out nuking of Beijing back in February and she personally had to countermand it.
    GIN1138 said:

Nigelb said:

Current Poll:

Last Biden Poll:

I’ve got no answer to that.

US right wing media is full of this kind of stuff at the moment.

Daily Wire host goes on strange sexist rant: “Women cannot take care of themselves”

https://www.mediamatters.org/daily-wire/daily-wire-host-goes-strange-sexist-rant-women-cannot-take-care-themselves
    ANDREW KLAVAN (DAILY WIRE HOST): Now, I don't believe in making great generalities about things — what they call totalizing principles, like life is about this or society is about this. But sometimes, it's kinda like being the blind man with the elephant, you're only seeing one side of it. But sometimes that helps. Sometimes you're just taking a look at one side of things, and that's what I'm gonna do now. There is a sense in which the central purpose of every society is to figure out the distribution of women because women are valuable. They're valuable not just for their company and for their way of looking at things and for sex, which is a lot of fun, but also because they are the only path there is to continuing your genetic inheritance. That is the way it is. When men want women on this kind of basic animalistic, just life level, to reproduce. Right? So the most obvious way to distribute women is to give all the women to the strongest man. Right? So you get — reproduce from the strongest person. That's the way gorillas — many gorillas, silverbacks live. The one guy gets all the girls. And the problem with that is it sounds like a good idea, but it's unstable because, obviously, all the other guys finally get think to themselves, oh, I know what we'll do. We'll get together and we'll kill the main guy, the alpha guy, and we'll steal the woman. And that's why those governments are unstable. That's how you get Magna Carta..
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,116
    Two of the kids have died. This is a rare instance where the death penalty makes sense to me, it's cut and dried and society gains nothing by keeping this absolute **** locked up for 60+ years.

Hopefully a prison warden will let slip the identity and the other prisoners will deal with him.

Two children who have had their lives snatched away from them, two families absolutely devastated tonight. I can't imagine how horrible it must be for those parents who put their kids in the daycare not realising what was about to happen.

Every parent in the country is horrified by this, I know my wife and I both are, life in jail just doesn't seem to be enough. If it was my child that had been murdered I'd want to pull the trigger myself.

Dare we hope that we get the '"... independent review" of the triple lock' next then?

Dare we hope that we get the '"... independent review" of the triple lock' next then?
    Means test the state pension entirely.
    Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

Nigelb said:

Current Poll:

Last Biden Poll:

Daily Wire host goes on strange sexist rant: “Women cannot take care of themselves”

https://www.mediamatters.org/daily-wire/daily-wire-host-goes-strange-sexist-rant-women-cannot-take-care-themselves
    ANDREW KLAVAN (DAILY WIRE HOST): Now, I don't believe in making great generalities about things — what they call totalizing principles, like life is about this or society is about this. But sometimes, it's kinda like being the blind man with the elephant, you're only seeing one side of it. But sometimes that helps. Sometimes you're just taking a look at one side of things, and that's what I'm gonna do now. There is a sense in which the central purpose of every society is to figure out the distribution of women because women are valuable. They're valuable not just for their company and for their way of looking at things and for sex, which is a lot of fun, but also because they are the only path there is to continuing your genetic inheritance. That is the way it is. When men want women on this kind of basic animalistic, just life level, to reproduce. Right? So the most obvious way to distribute women is to give all the women to the strongest man. Right? So you get — reproduce from the strongest person. That's the way gorillas — many gorillas, silverbacks live. The one guy gets all the girls. And the problem with that is it sounds like a good idea, but it's unstable because, obviously, all the other guys finally get think to themselves, oh, I know what we'll do. We'll get together and we'll kill the main guy, the alpha guy, and we'll steal the woman. And that's why those governments are unstable. That's how you get Magna Carta..
    Yes, I'm pretty sure that's we learnt in school about the Magna Carta.
    Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

Nigelb said:

Current Poll:

Last Biden Poll:

Imagine how the right will react if Kamala defeats Trump... The explosion will be a sight to behold.
    edited July 29

I knew you and @MaxPB would be celebrating the fuel allowance being axed for most pensioners as you hate old people! 😂
    GIN1138 said:

I knew you and @MaxPB would be celebrating the fuel allowance being axed for most pensioners as you hate old people! 😂
    Quite so.

Seems a bit myopic. Bart n Max are tadpoles who have really got it in for frogs.

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Lots of reasons not to worry about the mental incompetence. For a start it's not proven (he is still potus) and secondly she's not his assistant or understudy, she is off doing VP stuff in a different state if not country 98% of the time. The people on Biden's personal team are in the firing line before she is. Unless it turns out he ordered an all out nuking of Beijing back in February and she personally had to countermand it.
    Even then, heroic Kamala saves the world!

GIN1138 said:

Quite so.

Seems a bit myopic. Bart n Max are tadpoles who have really got it in for frogs.

They'll be frogs themselves one day lol...
    Jeremy Hunt has written to the Cabinet Secretary:

https://x.com/Jeremy_Hunt/status/1818011536335704150

There is a clear issue here: either the spending plans in Estimates signed off by Senior Civil Servants and presented to Parliament are incorrect, or the document the Chancellor has produced to the House today is incorrect.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,336

@Leon's banned currently I believe?
    GIN1138 said:

I don't hate old people.

I don't believe in taxing people to give unearned benefits to those who neither have earned, nor need, nor deserve them.

What possible reason is there to tax someone who is going to work for a low income, in order to give those taxes to those who are well off and have neither earned nor need of that money?
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Quite so.

And I won't want to take my kids or grandkids income off them to take stuff I've never earned.
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Quite so.

Eternal tadpolehood a possibility, at least spiritually.
    Harris campaign hits Trump again over debate ‘backtrack’

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4798367-harris-campaign-trump-debate/
    … Campaign communications director Michael Tyler said, in a statement first shared with The Hill, that Harris will be at ABC’s Sept. 10 debate — to which Trump and President Biden had both previously agreed — regardless of the former president’s attendance.
    “As Vice President Harris said last week, the American people deserve to hear from the two candidates running for the highest office in the land and she will do that at September’s ABC debate,” Tyler said. “If Donald Trump and his team are saying anything other than ‘we’ll see you there,’ — and it appears that they are — it’s a convenient, but expected backtrack from Team Trump. Vice President Harris will be there on September 10th — we’ll see if Trump shows.”..

• FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,529

Has that happened in the past? Maybe it has but I don't remember it.
  • gettingbettergettingbetter Posts: 529
    MaxPB said:

And if you have paid voluntary contributions to make up a few years when you didn't pay enough NI would you pay that back?
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,490
    MaxPB said:

Two of the kids have died. This is a rare instance where the death penalty makes sense to me, it's cut and dried and society gains nothing by keeping this absolute **** locked up for 60+ years.

Hopefully a prison warden will let slip the identity and the other prisoners will deal with him.

Two children who have had their lives snatched away from them, two families absolutely devastated tonight. I can't imagine how horrible it must be for those parents who put their kids in the daycare not realising what was about to happen.

Every parent in the country is horrified by this, I know my wife and I both are, life in jail just doesn't seem to be enough. If it was my child that had been murdered I'd want to pull the trigger myself.

Fully agreed. Problem is, with each swing of the political pendulum, you’d end up with Chakrabati types in and around Cabinet commuting the sentences.

Has he been banging on about the AIs again?

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Quite so.

Eternal tadpolehood a possibility, at least spiritually.
    https://www.americanscientist.org/blog/from-the-staff/the-giant-tadpole-that-never-got-its-legs
    GIN1138 said:

Not true, I'd increase the state pension by 50% overnight and pay for it with a special rate of tax on high pension incomes. Target the public sector fatcats retiring on £50k-80k DB pensions.
    Nigelb said:

Harris campaign hits Trump again over debate ‘backtrack’

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4798367-harris-campaign-trump-debate/
    … Campaign communications director Michael Tyler said, in a statement first shared with The Hill, that Harris will be at ABC’s Sept. 10 debate — to which Trump and President Biden had both previously agreed — regardless of the former president’s attendance.
    “As Vice President Harris said last week, the American people deserve to hear from the two candidates running for the highest office in the land and she will do that at September’s ABC debate,” Tyler said. “If Donald Trump and his team are saying anything other than ‘we’ll see you there,’ — and it appears that they are — it’s a convenient, but expected backtrack from Team Trump. Vice President Harris will be there on September 10th — we’ll see if Trump shows.”..

Which one of our PB pungent pundits was punditing a week or so ago, that it was Kamala Harris who did NOT want to debate Donald Trump?

Yet another moronic MAGA-maniac talking point bites the dust!
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,088

Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

Nigelb said:

Current Poll:

Last Biden Poll:

Yes, I'm pretty sure that's we learnt in school about the Magna Carta.
    Poor old Magna. Always being used to justify the most ridiculous nonesense.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,844
    MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

Not true, I'd increase the state pension by 50% overnight and pay for it with a special rate of tax on high pension incomes. Target the public sector fatcats retiring on £50k-80k DB pensions.
    What about private sector fatcats retiring on £50k-80k DC pensions?
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,175
    MaxPB said:

Which would mean layabouts get it and workers don't.

Better perhaps to have maximum levels of state benefits which someone can receive during their lifetime.

Possibly also linked to how much tax an individual has paid.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,114
    tlg86 said:

There is a clear issue here: either the spending plans in Estimates signed off by Senior Civil Servants and presented to Parliament are incorrect, or the document the Chancellor has produced to the House today is incorrect.

I'm not quite sure what to make of this. If Reeves is right about the current state of finances, and I assume she is, then I think Hunt is right then surely some civil servants are in big trouble also?

Responsibility of chief accounting officer was a very big deal for perm secs when I was in govt.

Has that happened in the past? Maybe it has but I don't remember it.
    Not that I know of, so the policy must work!

Seriously, the police report huge upticks in hate crime against Muslims/Jews in response to events in Israel/Gaza. Not sure if this means real life incidents or includes online shittiness. But I would be surprised if saying This guy was an x terrorist did not lead to increased anti X crime. People apparently smash up BMWs every time Germany beat us on penalties.

Are you sure? Blanchelivermore posted earlier today, and was banned yesterday at same time as "Leon" for same reason.
    Just an impression you sometimes give off @MaxPB and @BartholomewRoberts Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick. 👍
    edited July 29
    MaxPB said:

Respectfully disagree.
    Two children have died.
    Killing a third won't make it any better.

Has he been banging on about the AIs again?
    No, I think it was OTT comments about the Manchester police incident.
    dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

Respectfully disagree.
    Two children have died.
    That would be a child that the government thinks should have the vote.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,505
    rkrkrk said:

tlg86 said:

I'm not quite sure what to make of this. If Reeves is right about the current state of finances, and I assume she is, then I think Hunt is right then surely some civil servants are in big trouble also?

Responsibility of chief accounting officer was a very big deal for perm secs when I was in govt.
    https://x.com/annemcelvoy/status/1818018964414325208

Labour will be regretting that Jeremy Hunt didn’t lose his seat.

Are you sure? @BlancheLivermore posted earlier today, and was banned yesterday at same time as "Leon" for same reason.
    I may be out of date then. Hopefully so, I wouldn't want to see them permanently banned.
    GIN1138 said:

Just an impression you sometimes give off @MaxPB and @BartholomewRoberts Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick. 👍

I've never said anything more than that pensioners should have the same tax rate as everyone else.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,198
    MaxPB said:

Does this comment attract a ban ? I would be interested in light of the discussions yesterday.
    But I actually agree with it to a point. It should be either a) 10 years in jail, b) life in a secure psychiatric hospital, or c) the death penalty. I don't see the point of a 60 year 'whole life' sentence, it is basically the same thing as a death sentence that we are too afraid to carry out. Either you have a policy of rehabilitation/redemption or you don't.

dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

Respectfully disagree.
    Two children have died.
    At 17 if a person doesn't know not to murder children and babies then their moral compass will never be correct. He is a psychopath and I don't see what society gains by having him locked up for 60+ years.
    edited July 29
    tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

MaxPB said:

Respectfully disagree.
    Two children have died.
    That would be a child that the government thinks should have the vote.
    Well indeed.
    But I don't.

However. Killing anyone doesn't make it better.
This discussion has been closed.