Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A week is a long time in politics – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,159
    kinabalu said:

So is this why Toto Wolf looked grimfaced at the chequered flag? Did he know they'd screwed up?

What a sickener for George Russell.

With the additional weight Russell may not have been able to make the 1 stop work and definitely wouldn't have been able to keep Lewis behind him, I think he's lost a podium here but definitely not the win.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    DougSeal said:

boulay said:

Ok, having crashed and burned re the plane report I’ve just heard another good one, re the footage of the Manchester airport kick off, 5 live news pushed the line by the lawyer that nobody deserves to be kicked by a policeman, it was a fight between two men and three police and no mention of the police being the ones attacked violently.

To give it the chef’s kiss the BBC say they haven’t been able to verify the footage. They were however accepting of the footage of the kick by the rozzer.

As far as I can tell, having watched both videos, the police were indeed violently attacked, then the suspect was kicked afterwards having been tazered and restrained. He'd fought the law and the law had won. Once that had happened punishment and retribution was for the courts, not the cop.
    Perpetrators on the ground can still be a threat (see Germany a few weeks ago). I think it's just about the right side of the line given how violent the perpetrator had been. I can understand the police not wanting to take any chances.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,650
    Gah. The airport car has failed. 2009 Hyundai i30. Have washed both cars and opened its bonnet to top up screen wash. Bloody primary latch won't latch - keeps defaulting to open. Can see the wire pulling below the spring when you pull the release handle, can push the latch down with a screwdriver and the spring is tensioning. It just won't latch...

Git.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,316
    kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

I apologise to PB for finding it odd that the news felt the need to say that the two dead from a two person plane crashing in a field were the people on the plane.

I should of course have factored in all the immense range of possibilities where a plane crash was bad enough that it killed one of the occupants and someone on the ground, who just happened to be unluckily in that field, but one of the occupants was not killed.

I shall go and educate myself by watching a plane crash investigation series and then commit seppuku for my error.

Pedantic bastards.

You do know PB stands for pedantic betting?

Edit - also it’s worth pointing out a two seater doesn’t have to have two people in it.
    Also when does a passenger become the co-pilot? There's a grey area there. Potentially anyway.
    There’s a *lot* of case law on that one. Start from the point that a pilot should have a pilot’s licence appropriate for the plane he’s flying.
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,867

Harris's biggest negative for me is that nasal drone - I just can't quite escape from thinking Janice from Friends...

It's a trivial reason to dislike someone because of their voice, but now you mention it Trump's voice is really annoying.
    What he says is worse, of course.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,965
    edited July 28

Nunu5 said:

kyf_100 said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:
    Speaking as one of those liberal lefty types who are supposed to lap this sort of thing up it was stupid, inflammatory, and needlessly offensive without any artistic merit at all. Shock for the sake of shock.
    Yes it was pretty dire. The dramaturgy was bad in a basic way. And the supposedly “shocking” bits weren’t at all shocking, because modern art is always like this now, it’s become the salon art of today. The approved art of the elite - boring and predictable. Drag artists. Yawn

The NYT called it “bloated and humourless” which is as good a description as any

Celine was good, however. A powerful moment
    To get away with something like that it has to be generally excellently good (or funny) and stay just on the right side of a very faintly drawn line.

For example, Life of Brian, which still has the power to get rigid humourless types apoplectic with outrage and uniquiely has managed to get a new generation of secular puritans just as outraged as it got an old generation of religious puritans outraged 40 years ago, but for a reason that went over anyones head unless they were familiar with far left loon social politics 40 years ago, that first emerged into the public consciousness in inner London Loony Left councils a year or two after the film came out.
    Rule #1 of comedy and satire. You can take the piss out of pretty much anything, so long as you make it funny. But it has to be funny, and the more controversial the subject the higher the bar is for the funny.
    Try doing the Life of Brian but satirising Muhammad instead of Jesus...

Quite why we make an exception for a specific religion's right to be offended is beyond me. Even South Park didn't dare go there.
    Charlie hebdo
    The Manchester Airport police almost certainly "offended Islam" somewhere along the way

Light blue t-shirt was just being a good Muslim when he broke the policewoman's nose
    or maybe there are just idiots in every community. Why is only Islam linked to the actions of it's followers? We don't do that with Judaism (Palestinian genocide) or Christianity (Iraq, etc).
    There is no Palestinian genocide; it's a figment of fervent antisemitic (and limited) imagination

Saddam became Public Enemy No.1 by invading Kuwait

Kuwait wasn't a Christian stronghold
    As someone in the US Administration said at the time, "Do you think we would bother about Kuwait if it was producing carrots?"
  • BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,695
    FF43 said:

Nunu5 said:

kyf_100 said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:
    Speaking as one of those liberal lefty types who are supposed to lap this sort of thing up it was stupid, inflammatory, and needlessly offensive without any artistic merit at all. Shock for the sake of shock.
    Yes it was pretty dire. The dramaturgy was bad in a basic way. And the supposedly “shocking” bits weren’t at all shocking, because modern art is always like this now, it’s become the salon art of today. The approved art of the elite - boring and predictable. Drag artists. Yawn

The NYT called it “bloated and humourless” which is as good a description as any

To get away with something like that it has to be generally excellently good (or funny) and stay just on the right side of a very faintly drawn line.

For example, Life of Brian, which still has the power to get rigid humourless types apoplectic with outrage and uniquiely has managed to get a new generation of secular puritans just as outraged as it got an old generation of religious puritans outraged 40 years ago, but for a reason that went over anyones head unless they were familiar with far left loon social politics 40 years ago, that first emerged into the public consciousness in inner London Loony Left councils a year or two after the film came out.
    Rule #1 of comedy and satire. You can take the piss out of pretty much anything, so long as you make it funny. But it has to be funny, and the more controversial the subject the higher the bar is for the funny.

Quite why we make an exception for a specific religion's right to be offended is beyond me. Even South Park didn't dare go there.
    Charlie hebdo
    The Manchester Airport police almost certainly "offended Islam" somewhere along the way

Light blue t-shirt was just being a good Muslim when he broke the policewoman's nose
    or maybe there are just idiots in every community. Why is only Islam linked to the actions of it's followers? We don't do that with Judaism (Palestinian genocide) or Christianity (Iraq, etc).
    There is no Palestinian genocide; it's a figment of fervent antisemitic (and limited) imagination

As someone in the US Administration said at the time, "Do you think we would bother about Kuwait if it was producing carrots?"
    Even if they were Christian carrots
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

So is this why Toto Wolf looked grimfaced at the chequered flag? Did he know they'd screwed up?

With the additional weight Russell may not have been able to make the 1 stop work and definitely wouldn't have been able to keep Lewis behind him, I think he's lost a podium here but definitely not the win.
    Isn't GR's weight loss likely due to excessive plank wear through Eau Rouge caused by and combined with tyre weight loss doing the one stop ?
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500

FF43 said:

Nunu5 said:

kyf_100 said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Charlie hebdo

So in tins and delivered by schoolchildren for Harvest Festival, and generally beyond their sell-by dates?
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    Pagan2 said:

Nunu5 said:

kyf_100 said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Charlie hebdo

Or maybe because even surveys done by the guardian show a lot of muslims (not all by a long way but sufficient to cause concern) have views that are not copacetic with western values
    What's that got to do with the lad punching up police officers. Under Islam he would be dealt with more harshly
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    DougSeal said:

boulay said:

Ok, having crashed and burned re the plane report I’ve just heard another good one, re the footage of the Manchester airport kick off, 5 live news pushed the line by the lawyer that nobody deserves to be kicked by a policeman, it was a fight between two men and three police and no mention of the police being the ones attacked violently.

To give it the chef’s kiss the BBC say they haven’t been able to verify the footage. They were however accepting of the footage of the kick by the rozzer.

As far as I can tell, having watched both videos, the police were indeed violently attacked, then the suspect was kicked afterwards having been tazered and restrained. He'd fought the law and the law had won. Once that had happened punishment and retribution was for the courts, not the cop.
    They attacked the police several times, including the policewoman - who got her nose broken. I imagine tempers were running quite high and in a moment of extreme adrenaline - or simply just to make sure a violent dangerous man IN AN AIRPORT was really down - the violent attacker got kicked

Again, in any other country those attackers would likely be shot dead by armed police. We have to cut our coppers some slack in brawls like this. The cops were armed. They did NOT reach for their guns despite intense provocation

That is commendable. Instead the copper is suspended

Meanwhile, silence from all the loud pundits who said “this is a racist police attack”
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,089
    tlg86 said:

DougSeal said:

boulay said:

Perpetrators on the ground can still be a threat (see Germany a few weeks ago). I think it's just about the right side of the line given how violent the perpetrator had been. I can understand the police not wanting to take any chances.
    Nah. Look at how he goes down once he is tazered. It was sack of potatoes time. There was no way he was a threat at that point. Besides, if he was then there were a plenty of other, legal and safe, ways he could have been restrained which didn't involve a random boot to the head. There are no indications he was carrying a weapon of any sort, nor had he tried to use one previously. Just his fists. It was clearly excessive force.

By the way, who the hell is training the police these days in unarmed combat? They looked like they had never had to deal with a violent target before. My 5 foot 2 inch daughter knows better defensive techniques from her personal safety training than these supposedly trained police officers.

• MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,159
    edited July 28
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

Isn't GR's weight loss likely due to excessive plank wear through Eau Rouge caused by and combined with tyre weight loss doing the one stop ?
    Unlikely, teams take all of that into account and if it was tyre wear then it's a huge fuck up by Mercedes to not bring him in for a second stop on lap 45.

I think Mercedes just ran an underweight car due to some kind of setup issue. You could see it when he crossed the line Toto knew already.
    ydoethur said:

Nunu5 said:

kyf_100 said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Charlie hebdo

Well, ‘we on PB’ don’t on the whole. But plenty out there do.
    OK? And? They're wrong as well. I thought we're smarter than that
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,094
    boulay said:

Aiui the BBC Verify unit said they'd checked five or six videos but had not had time to do this last one.

Nunu5 said:

kyf_100 said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Charlie hebdo

Yes we do - try saying "The Crusades were nothing to do with Christianity, just the actions of some misguided followers"....

The Iraq wars (recent) were nothing to do with religion.

Question for the Hive Mind - is Shinto fundamentally racist or does it just have a lot of racist followers?
    Bush implicitly used his religion to justify the Iraq war. But I see u are making my point for me.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    tlg86 said:

DougSeal said:

boulay said:

They can be but having seen both videos I have formed the conclusion that in this case they were not. People on the ground can be restrained by means other than kicking them repeatedly in the head. What the posts on here have shown is that people are justifying this because his prior acts justified retribution. Saying an officer of the state can mete out retribution in that manner is the thin edge of a very large wedge.
    In how many countries is attacking armed police not an immediate death sentence?
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,094
    Tory leadership election. Just a reminder that nominations close and will be announced tomorrow afternoon. (You probably already knew that but I've had to look it up.)
    If the Israeli massacre on Gaza is not a genocide, then nothing is a genocide. Those bastards have murdered so many women and children it shames everyone who supports them and actually shows the hypocrisy of the west. Muslim lives are worth less than others it seems
    edited July 28
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

boulay said:

They attacked the police several times, including the policewoman - who got her nose broken. I imagine tempers were running quite high and in a moment of extreme adrenaline - or simply just to make sure a violent dangerous man IN AN AIRPORT was really down - the violent attacker got kicked

Again, in any other country those attackers would likely be shot dead by armed police. We have to cut our coppers some slack in brawls like this. The cops were armed. They did NOT reach for their guns despite intense provocation

Meanwhile, silence from all the loud pundits who said “this is a racist police attack”
    If this were you or I in a fight outside a pub and we were caught on camera delivering that kick after the guy was flat out on the ground we would be done for GBH at least. No matter who had started the fight. The same should apply, even more so, to the police. Theyt are supposed to be trained to deal with these situations. Losing their tempers is certainly no excuse - not for us and not for them.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379

Gah. The airport car has failed. 2009 Hyundai i30. Have washed both cars and opened its bonnet to top up screen wash. Bloody primary latch won't latch - keeps defaulting to open. Can see the wire pulling below the spring when you pull the release handle, can push the latch down with a screwdriver and the spring is tensioning. It just won't latch...

Git.

Tie it down with a bit of string?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,735
    Nunu5 said:

When will the media love fest for Starmer end? This is just bias now.

https://x.com/keiranpedley/status/1816933324268441881

Just proves it isn't hair. It's a plastic helmet.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,978

Wonder if Walid Jumblatt will be gracing our TV screens again soon.

He retired a year or so ago, his son is now the leader of the party.
  • I see France and Saudi have told citizens to leave Lebanon immediately.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,650
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

Usually there is an in lap, with drivers instructed to pick up rubber. Why? Because they want the additional weight.

In this case there was no in lap. Cars turned immediately right after La Source to travel the wrong way up the pit lane. No opportunity to pick up rubber, and George with his very worn tyres came a cropper. With a normal in lap he'd have been ok...
    Nunu5 said:

If the Israeli massacre on Gaza is not a genocide, then nothing is a genocide. Those bastards have murdered so many women and children it shames everyone who supports them and actually shows the hypocrisy of the west. Muslim lives are worth less than others it seems

If you believe everything that Hamas tells you..
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,458

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

boulay said:

If this were you or I in a figt outside a pub and we were caught on camera delivering that kick after the guy was flat out on the ground we would be done for GBH at least. No matter who had started the fight. The same should apply, even more so, to the police. Theyt are supposed to be trained to deal with these situations. Losing their tempers is certainly no excuse - not for us and not for them.
    Indeed. As I was taught by my father, as I was taught by my peers at school, you fight when you must. But you never kick a man when he’s down.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,258
    tlg86 said:

DougSeal said:

boulay said:

That's a stretch. The kick looked visceral not calculated. However the context is important. I'd say it mitigates but doesn't excuse.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,762
    Nunu5 said:

Pagan2 said:

Nunu5 said:

kyf_100 said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Charlie hebdo

Or maybe because even surveys done by the guardian show a lot of muslims (not all by a long way but sufficient to cause concern) have views that are not copacetic with western values
    What's that got to do with the lad punching up police officers. Under Islam he would be dealt with more harshly
    Nothing to do with punching up police officers merely saying that there is an undercurrent in the more working class muslim community that doesn't accept our values and will think this acceptable, I think to be honest though the same is true of the more working class white community and any other race and creed. The police and western values are seen as the enemy
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 28

FF43 said:

Nunu5 said:

kyf_100 said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Charlie hebdo

Didn't Hitler say he would have invaded Ireland if it had as many Oil wells as it has Holy wells?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,735

By the way, who the hell is training the police these days in unarmed combat? They looked like they had never had to deal with a violent target before. My 5 foot 2 inch daughter knows better defensive techniques from her personal safety training than these supposedly trained police officers.

According to Eddie Izzard, has been that way for decades...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dpGxDPfqJA
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

Usually there is an in lap, with drivers instructed to pick up rubber. Why? Because they want the additional weight.

In this case there was no in lap. Cars turned immediately right after La Source to travel the wrong way up the pit lane. No opportunity to pick up rubber, and George with his very worn tyres came a cropper. With a normal in lap he'd have been ok...
    Seems like a poor regulation. They should weigh the cars then weigh the tyres. Finishing on severely degraded tyres shouldn't be punished, and picking up crap on the outlap shouldn't allow what would be otherwise underweight cars to pass a weigh test
    DougSeal said:

In how many countries is attacking armed police not an immediate death sentence?

A sentence is something that is handed down by a court. The police are entitled to act in self defence - which they did when they successfully tazered the guy. What they did after that was retribution. Which is against the law. You may not think much of the law but that's what gives the police the power to do what they do.
    He broke a policewoman's nose by punching her really hard in the face

He violently assaulted two other policemen

He might have had a concealed weapon

He should have been shot dead
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

boulay said:

Which loud pundits?
    Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

I apologise to PB for finding it odd that the news felt the need to say that the two dead from a two person plane crashing in a field were the people on the plane.

I should of course have factored in all the immense range of possibilities where a plane crash was bad enough that it killed one of the occupants and someone on the ground, who just happened to be unluckily in that field, but one of the occupants was not killed.

I shall go and educate myself by watching a plane crash investigation series and then commit seppuku for my error.

Pedantic bastards.

Edit - also it’s worth pointing out a two seater doesn’t have to have two people in it.
    Also when does a passenger become the co-pilot? There's a grey area there. Potentially anyway.
    There’s a *lot* of case law on that one. Start from the point that a pilot should have a pilot’s licence appropriate for the plane he’s flying.
    Right. But say I'm the single passenger and the pilot has a heart attack. I take over the controls and with some help from ground control I bring her down on one piece. Not impossible on one of my good days. Was I the co-pilot there?

DougSeal said:

A sentence is something that is handed down by a court. The police are entitled to act in self defence - which they did when they successfully tazered the guy. What they did after that was retribution. Which is against the law. You may not think much of the law but that's what gives the police the power to do what they do.

This is just idiotic and is what leads to all those cases in the US where the police end up shooting unarmed and, often entirely innocent people (more often than not black for some strange reason)

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

boulay said:

If this were you or I in a fight outside a pub and we were caught on camera delivering that kick after the guy was flat out on the ground we would be done for GBH at least. No matter who had started the fight. The same should apply, even more so, to the police. Theyt are supposed to be trained to deal with these situations. Losing their tempers is certainly no excuse - not for us and not for them.
    He was - arguably - making sure the guy didn’t get back up. Imagine if the guy had got back up and had then killed someone - then that would be the cop’s fault for not protecting the public

Frankly, as they were armed police and the attackers launched their assault IN AN AIRPORT the police should have shot at least one of them dead, if not all. End of story

• WillGWillG Posts: 2,366
    Nunu5 said:

No, even if Gaza is not a genocide, the Holocaust very much still is.
    MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

Well maybe. But he's gone from 'fabulous tense gritty win' to nul points in a heartbeat and all after the actual race and through no fault of his own.

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

boulay said:

Which loud pundits?
    eg That dude from the Met. Dal Babu

https://x.com/aethelswin/status/1817283774675140998?s=46&t=JkfxbHe62CiS_-1M2e4fCA

DougSeal said:

This is just idiotic and is what leads to all those cases in the US where the police end up shooting unarmed and, often entirely innocent people (more often than not black for some strange reason)
    Yours is the idiotic view

What's the point of armed police at airports if they're not allowed to shoot when attacked?

Do you really want airports with no meaningful anti-terrorist security?

I'm not getting on a plane anywhere that you're King
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,026

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

boulay said:

Which loud pundits?
    Did you not see the protests in Manchester in which some hastily-made BLM banners were making pretty much exactly that point?

Commendably, Burnham has been very keen to reserve judgement until all facts are known. Equally commendably, the victims family have been keen to keep a lid on it. Apparently there are many family members in the police and presumably they are well aware the victim is a massive loose cannon and a liability.
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

boulay said:

If this were you or I in a figt outside a pub and we were caught on camera delivering that kick after the guy was flat out on the ground we would be done for GBH at least. No matter who had started the fight. The same should apply, even more so, to the police. Theyt are supposed to be trained to deal with these situations. Losing their tempers is certainly no excuse - not for us and not for them.
    Indeed. As I was taught by my father, as I was taught by my peers at school, you fight when you must. But you never kick a man when he’s down.
    If it's a sports fight the rules of the individual sport regulate the situation. If it's not then if you are the aggressor you shouldn't be, and adhering to arbitrary rules to satisfy yourself you are fighting like a gentleman is bollocks. If you are the victim it's your right and duty to kick the absolute shit out of him until you have rendered him no longer a threat, then stop.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

boulay said:

He was - arguably - making sure the guy didn’t get back up. Imagine if the guy had got back up and had then killed someone - then that would be the cop’s fault for not protecting the public

Frankly, as they were armed police and the attackers launched their assault IN AN AIRPORT the police should have shot at least one of them dead, if not all. End of story

Imagine if they’d put shackles on his hands and feet to prevent him getting up after being tazered rather than the of the pointless but visually spectacular method of giving him brain damage. Wouldn’t have got the usual suspects on here their kicks but would have done the job.

And you’re in favour of summary executions now? Doesn’t surprise me somehow.
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

boulay said:

Philisophical question:

If a particular poster on PB were shot, would that count as multiple homicide?
    Genuine, wholehearted LOL. Bravo.
    It ought to be said: stamping on a man's head is not to be commended and is clearly a bad thing. But also, if that man had just broken your female colleague's nose, seriously, how many of us would have been even that restrained? I think he showed admirable restraint under the circumstances.
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

boulay said:

Imagine if they’d put shackles on his hands and feet to prevent him getting up after being tazered rather than the of the pointless but visually spectacular method of giving him brain damage. Wouldn’t have got the usual suspects on here their kicks but would have done the job.

And you’re in favour of summary executions now? Doesn’t surprise me somehow.
    As @BlancheLivermore says, what is the point of armed police at an airport protecting the public if they are never allowed to use those arms to protect the public - or even themselves? What if this wild assault was a way to neutralise the armed cops while someone else went on a knife-killing spree? The coppers could not have known. Shoot
    the people attacking them
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,615

boulay said:

Aiui the BBC Verify unit said they'd checked five or six videos but had not had time to do this last one.
    What a surprise.
    Cookie said:

It ought to be said: stamping on a man's head is not to be commended and is clearly a bad thing. But also, if that man had just broken your female colleague's nose, seriously, how many of us would have been even that restrained? I think he showed admirable restraint under the circumstances.

They’re police officers. We entrust them with considerable power and in return expect them to exercise that power with restraint.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,763

Do you want that here ?
    I don't.

Once this campaign gets going properly, Harris will draw away. I honestly don’t think this will even be close in the end.

She’s not the perfect candidate. But she will be steady, and steady is what America needs.

On other matters, great to see Wagner getting a proper kicking in the Sahara. Irrespective of who did it.

Including the GreyZone blogger apparently.
    Who’d be a copper with PB’s pathetic army of chaise-longue lawyers second guessing everything you do in a moment of extreme violence against you, in a truly dangerous context

It’s decadent and ridiculous. No one will ever join the police. Or if they do they won’t tackle anyone from an ethnic minority for fear of being seen as racist - a mindset which led, we now know, to the Manchester Arena bombing
    DougSeal said:

A surprising number of unreformed teenage Judge Dredd fans on PB.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,594
    edited July 28
    DougSeal said:

Cookie said:

They’re police officers. We entrust them with considerable power and in return expect them to exercise that power with restraint.
    Let's be honest. If that bloke at Manchester Airport had been a Tommy Robinson type then those now calling for his head to have been blown off would now be pining for the days of Dixon of Dock Green.
    DougSeal said:

Cookie said:

I am guessing you have never been on the wrong side of the police
    At the risk of going the full Leon, what's going on here ?

Pete Souza was the Official Chief White House Photographer for the entire Presidency of Barack Obama.

He took over 2 MILLION photos of Obama, as well as photos of Reagan & Bush.

Today Musk suspended his account for posting this AP photo.

https://x.com/daveryder/status/1817378066722685158
    DougSeal said:

Cookie said:

Yes, and I think they showed considetable restraint under the citcumstances. Could you have been that restrained? I couldn't. Honestly, your picking the wrong villain here.

DougSeal said:

Cookie said:

Let's me honest. If that bloke at Manchester Airport had been a Tommy Robinson type then those now calling for his head to have been blown off would now be pining for the days of Dixon of Dock Green.
    We would not be having this conversation as the news wouldn't have given it the time of day.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    boulay said:

DougSeal said:

Leon said:
    It was like a teenager trying to shock their parents, nothing clever or witty about it.

Also so many LGBT people have been fighting for ages to be treated well, equally, and be accepted so creating such a target for idiots to beat them with and making such a statement is completely counterproductive.
    The French have a history of satire which goes way beyond ours.The UK would never have had a Charlie Hebdo. If you don't like it fine but don't make the excuse that it's not funny.It's about French culture not a Benny Hill repeat. It reminded me of the 'Je Suis Charlie' march attended by Netanyahu when the Ultra Orthodox newspapers in his own country airbrushed Angela Merkel out of the shot because she was a woman!.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/14/israeli-newspaper-hamevaser-merkel-women-charlie-hebdo-rally
  • EPGEPG Posts: 6,637

I see the PB twats are out in force this evening.

I am passing an immediate sentence on their twattery.

With extreme prejudice.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,116

Git.

My car experience of the last month has been awful.

Car nicked from outside the house at the start of the month, second time in 3 years. Tracked to a place nearby, police don’t bother to look until next morning, by which time it’s gone.

Claim on insurance and go about quickly finding a replacement as we had a weekend away (this weekend) and a trip to France planned. Bought a replacement used car and got it delivered, finally, on Friday an hour before we set off for our weekend.

Halfway there it decided the gearbox was going to develop a fault. Limped in to our destination in North Norfolk. Now it’s been towed away but they can’t replace the part for a month. So we’re without a car again.

Meanwhile the stolen car turns up. Taken to the pound. Insurance were supposed to get it to a body shop to repair the inside where the tracker was ripped out, but they forgot. So it’s still in the pound.

DougSeal said:

What's the point of armed police at airports if they're not allowed to shoot when attacked?

Perhaps they should be forgiven the kick but disciplined for eshewing the kill in favour of making an arrest. Great big softies.
    Cookie said:

DougSeal said:

Cookie said:

Yes, and I think they showed considetable restraint under the citcumstances. Could you have been that restrained? I couldn't. Honestly, your picking the wrong villain here.
    I think we should expect high standards from the police. They are trained, after all. However, I think a degree of leeway should be shown. They are the ones dealing with it in the heat of the moment.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,520
    edited July 28
    The reason why the police kicking a prone person in the head is the death of Dalian Atkinson at the hands of the police is so sickening, see the death and aftermath section.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalian_Atkinson#Personal_life
    Nigelb said:

Pete Souza was the Official Chief White House Photographer for the entire Presidency of Barack Obama.

Allegedly 2023 photo sadly

Once this campaign gets going properly, Harris will draw away. I honestly don’t think this will even be close in the end.

She’s not the perfect candidate. But she will be steady, and steady is what America needs.

On other matters, great to see Wagner getting a proper kicking in the Sahara. Irrespective of who did it.

That's my view too on WH24. I don't want it to be close and now that Trump has a viable opponent I don't think it will be. He's unelectable.
    EPG said:

With extreme prejudice.
    Indeed, saying somebody should be shot dead crosses a line, something OGH banned another poster for.

There’s a distinction between saying ‘he was lucky he wasn’t shot dead’.
    Pagan2 said:

DougSeal said:

Cookie said:

I am guessing you have never been on the wrong side of the police
    I have been on he wrong side of the police. In two countries - this one and Russia. One of the reasons I became a lawyer. I’ve seen a lot more of the world and it’s shit side than you think and, in all likelihood, you have.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,316
    kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

boulay said:

Pedantic bastards.

Right. But say I'm the single passenger and the pilot has a heart attack. I take over the controls and with some help from ground control I bring her down on one piece. Not impossible on one of my good days. Was I the co-pilot there?
    No, you’re most definitely a passenger, you said so yourself. If you don’t have a licence you’re not a pilot.

The reason why the police kicking a prone person in the head is the death of Dalian Atkinson at the hands of the police is so sickening, see the death and aftermath section.

If the person kicked had died or suffered a serious injury, then I think that's a very different conversation.
    tlg86 said:

If the person kicked had died or suffered a serious injury, then I think that's a very different conversation.
    Apparently all the police were given a refresher course in how to deal with tasered people and reminded of the protocols.

Clear these coppers were not.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,468
    Nigelb said:

Was it Musk who did it, or Twitter? We now know Musk's line on this is the same as his fanbois: if something bad happens, it's Twitter or Tesla or SpaceX. If something good happens, it's HIM. ;)
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,849
    DougSeal said:

tlg86 said:

DougSeal said:

boulay said:

They can be but having seen both videos I have formed the conclusion that in this case they were not. People on the ground can be restrained by means other than kicking them repeatedly in the head. What the posts on here have shown is that people are justifying this because his prior acts justified retribution. Saying an officer of the state can mete out retribution in that manner is
    the thin edge of a very large wedge.
    It looks like an understandable overreaction in the heat of the moment.

That clearly requires investigation and appropriate disciplinary action.

But sacking him seems excessive
    edited July 28

Nigelb said:

I wondered about it being something like that.

If so, a community note explaining that would have dealt with it rather more effectively, surely ? As it is it's sparked off a load of nonsense.
    I can't see Souza having been deliberately misleading.

Community notes are actually one thing Musk has got right.

(Edit) Now seems he deleted his own account.
    Jeez. Embarrassing.
    DougSeal said:

tlg86 said:

How the fuck do you know whether your kick to the head will result in the recipient’s serious injury or not? I can only assume that you’ve recently been kicked in the head yourself. In any event I understand that the recipient here may have undergone serious injury. He was a wrongun but those who think the police should have carte blanche should think seriously about the world they are advocating.
    Okay, perhaps that comment isn't so smart, but I think the police have to have powers to defend themselves. They were on the receiving end of a proper hiding. They put themselves in harms way in a way that the rest of us don't have to.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,422

DougSeal said:

Consider the word “proportional”.

It’s an interesting word.
    DougSeal said:

tlg86 said:

How the fuck do you know whether your kick to the head will result in the recipient’s serious injury or not? I can only assume that you’ve recently been kicked in the head yourself. In any event I understand that the recipient here may have undergone serious injury. He was a wrongun but those who think the police should have carte blanche should think seriously about the world they are advocating.
    most ordinary people that aren't rich would welcome it frankly....we get robbed the police will give us a crime number but not turn up, same for being assaulted, having you car stolen....most would prefer the police to go in harder. I suspect you being in the justice system get better service from them.
    tlg86 said:

DougSeal said:

tlg86 said:

Okay, perhaps that comment isn't so smart, but I think the police have to have powers to defend themselves. They were on the receiving end of a proper hiding. They put themselves in harms way in a way that the rest of us don't have to.
    They do have the power to defend themselves. I’m not allowed to carry a taser around with me. The cop was, ans he used it successfully, then he decided to take the risk of brain damaging or even killing an incapacitated prisoner.
    edited July 28
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

I wondered about it being something like that.

If so, a community note explaining that would have dealt with it rather more effectively, surely ? As it is it's sparked off a load of nonsense.
    I can't see Souza having been deliberately misleading.

Community notes are actually one thing Musk has got right.

(Edit) Now seems he deleted his own account.
    Jeez. Embarrassing.
    Well it might have been deleted for him. It's ostensibly an AP photo and he and they should know all about EXIF metadata. So I am not completely writing the story off.
    TimS said:

Git.

My car experience of the last month has been awful.

Car nicked from outside the house at the start of the month, second time in 3 years. Tracked to a place nearby, police don’t bother to look until next morning, by which time it’s gone.

Claim on insurance and go about quickly finding a replacement as we had a weekend away (this weekend) and a trip to France planned. Bought a replacement used car and got it delivered, finally, on Friday an hour before we set off for our weekend.

Halfway there it decided the gearbox was going to develop a fault. Limped in to our destination in North Norfolk. Now it’s been towed away but they can’t replace the part for a month. So we’re without a car again.

Meanwhile the stolen car turns up. Taken to the pound. Insurance were supposed to get it to a body shop to repair the inside where the tracker was ripped out, but they forgot. So it’s still in the pound.
    My wife’s Audi A3 EV has been in for SEVEN MONTHS (this is the fourth time since last September. It occasionally shows a ‘drive system failure error’ and won’t start. But it will,then start and drive as Normal.

Change the 12v battery, the mechatronics and now they think the problem is with the EV battery. Been waiting for a part signed February !!

It’s under warranty and we have a 24 Reg version. I put a complaint in monthly.get an update and it continues. Will give it to the end of this month then escalate it.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500
    Pagan2 said:

DougSeal said:

tlg86 said:

most ordinary people that aren't rich would welcome it frankly....we get robbed the police will give us a crime number but not turn up, same for being assaulted, having you car stolen....most would prefer the police to go in harder. I suspect you being in the justice system get better service from them.
    Whilst the police may be to blame, there's definitely an element that we should generally give them more support. Just moral support. We should disapprove more of people arsing about and making the police's job more difficult for example.
    Pagan2 said:

DougSeal said:

tlg86 said:

Not really no. I’m not rich, employment law doesn’t really pay, and I’ve been wrongfully arrested in Canterbury, Kent for nicking a French tourist’s wallet, and punched by a cop in St Petersburg, Russia, who only let me go when I convinced him I was on the crew of Goldeneye doing post (this was in 1995) and gave him $20. I appreciate that in your ivory tower things are rosy out there but, really, they’re not.
    Pagan2 said:

DougSeal said:

tlg86 said:

Well, the “ordinary people” who didn’t get kicked in the head might welcome it.

The history of countries where such behaviour is how the police rolls tell us that when the police is just the biggest street gang, you are living in a shit hole.
    DougSeal said:

tlg86 said:

Exactly. One day they may end up on the receiving end of an out of control copper.

Condone this behaviour then we normalise it and excusing it because people don’t like the recipient is not good.
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

DougSeal said:

boulay said:

Philisophical question:

If a particular poster on PB were shot, would that count as multiple homicide?
    Genuine, wholehearted LOL. Bravo
    kinabalu said:

That's my view too on WH24. I don't want it to be close and now that Trump has a viable opponent I don't think it will be. He's unelectable.
    I’m still holding to our much mocked position that neither Biden nor Trip to Trumpton will stand. Are you?
    DougSeal said:

Pagan2 said:

DougSeal said:

tlg86 said:

Not really no. I’m not rich, employment law doesn’t really pay, and I’ve been wrongfully arrested in Canterbury, Kent for nicking a French tourist’s wallet, and punched by a cop in St Petersburg, Russia, who only let me go when I convinced him I was on the crew of Goldeneye doing post (this was in 1995) and gave him $20. I appreciate that in your ivory tower things are rosy out there but, really, they’re not.
    Arrested for robbing the French?

When did they make that a crime as opposed to the basis for the award of a knighthood?
    DougSeal said:

tlg86 said:

There have been some utterly moronic posts on here tonight by otherwise intelligent posters. Too much sun and too much wine/lager is my guess. Embarrassing but not irretrievable for them.
    Omnium said:

Pagan2 said:

DougSeal said:

tlg86 said:

Whilst the police may be to blame, there's definitely an element that we should generally give them more support. Just moral support. We should disapprove more of people arsing about and making the police's job more difficult for example.
    More and more people dont bother with the police except for the crime number....we have a phone number we ring, the goods get returned, the justice is private, no jury no trial no prison. Thats where we are heading more and more because the justice system is failing
  • tlg86 said:

Cookie said:

DougSeal said:

Cookie said:

I think we should expect high standards from the police. They are trained, after all. However, I think a degree of leeway should be shown. They are the ones dealing with it in the heat of the moment.
    Without doubt, the copper kicking the lad on the floor is unacceptable, but all the rozzers involved have taken a decent beating around the head (those boys can fight!) and absolutely weren't thinking in a calm dispassionate way, and were maybe even a bit concussed.
    The kicking copper does need a strong talking to and they all need a bit of a refresher in handling themselves in a ruck. If they'd been on top of their game, it wouldn't have escalated so violently and the two thugs need dealing with with the full weight of the law as well, for their behaviour before the kick.

EPG said:

With extreme prejudice.
    Indeed, saying somebody should be shot dead crosses a line, something OGH banned another poster for.

There’s a distinction between saying ‘he was lucky he wasn’t shot dead’.
    Fair play to you. Bring them back tomorrow when they have sobered up.

DougSeal said:

Pagan2 said:

DougSeal said:

tlg86 said:

Arrested for robbing the French?

When did they make that a crime as opposed to the basis for the award of a knighthood?
    Exactly the point I made.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,677

Nunu5 said:

When will the media love fest for Starmer end? This is just bias now.

https://x.com/keiranpedley/status/1816933324268441881

It's a plastic helmet.
    Please don't speak about our Prime Minister like that.

This discussion has been closed.