Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The kaleidoscope has been shaken. The pieces are in flux. – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,323
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Obama planning big splash intervention in favour of Kamala reports NBC news.

GOP operatives concerned if Kamala picks Shapiro.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/republicans-see-gov-josh-shapiro-harris-super-strong-vp-contender-rcna163322

That means the GOP operatives are worried about Kelly, and prefer Shapiro.

They’re both great picks for Harris, but Kelly in particular has one hell of a back story as a test pilot and astronaut.
    I think Arizona is lost to the Democrats, irrespective of who the Democratic VP candidate is. By contrast, Pennsylvania is much larger and more in play. If the Democrats win Pennsylvania, it's very hard for Trump to win be presidency. Not impossible,obv, but hard
    Really? Any two of AZ MI or WI would be enough according to 270toWin.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,673
    edited July 26
    My fun photo quota for the Day: Donald Trump's High Heels.

Recall the 'My shoes ! my shoes!' when he was stopping the Secret Service take him away after he was nearly shot? How much height are Cuban heels and a bouffant wig worth?

Has anyone ever measured his claimed height of 6' 3"? Is it in the medical records he won't release? Perhaps, like many of the things about him, it's a fairy story.

https://nomoretrump.quora.com/Does-Donald-Trump-wear-elevator-shoes-8
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 52,980
    tlg86 said:

I see the Liverpool-supporting Mayor of London is lobbying for Premier League games to be played in the USA. Didn't see that in his manifesto this year.

Presumably that includes the cost of the 200 “carbon-neutral” flights to get get the 40,000 home fans over to the USA to watch the match?
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,055
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

When Pundits Play Both Sides: A Tale of Two Kamala Harris Columns

https://www.readtpa.com/p/when-pundits-play-both-sides-a-tale
    On Tuesday, July 9, Wall Street Journal opinion columnist Jason L. Riley published a piece urging Democrats to dump President Joe Biden from the top of the presidential ticket and replace him with Vice President Kamala Harris. Aptly titled “Kamala Harris Would Be the Best Democratic Choice,” the article made a fairly straightforward argument that Biden was a “problem that need[ed] to be solved,” and that Harris was the party’s best option at this stage of the campaign.

Fast forward just two weeks, and Riley's tune has changed so dramatically it would give even the most nimble political gymnast whiplash. On July 23, Riley penned a new column with the telling title: "Kamala Harris Isn't the Change Democrats Need." This stunning reversal in such a short span of time raises serious questions about the nature of political punditry and the cynicism that often underlies it...

No PB commenter would ever do so shameful a thing.

The whole of the American MSM (bar Fox News) has spent the last week totally gaslighting the electorate. Hundreds of articles critical of Harris have been deleted or amended, and they’re all full bore behind the new candidate they were roasting only a few weeks ago.
    Praise the Lord for Fox News and Truth Social.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 4,990
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/republicans-see-gov-josh-shapiro-harris-super-strong-vp-contender-rcna163322

They’re both great picks for Harris, but Kelly in particular has one hell of a back story as a test pilot and astronaut.
    I think Arizona is lost to the Democrats, irrespective of who the Democratic VP candidate is. By contrast, Pennsylvania is much larger and more in play. If the Democrats win Pennsylvania, it's very hard for Trump to win be presidency. Not impossible,obv, but hard
    Not that hard. For example Trump wins Georgia, Arizona, Nevada, and one of Michigan or Wisconsin.

Admittedly Trump seems to be polling better in Pennsylvania than Michigan and Wisconsin, so maybe Pennsylvania will be the tipping point state.

Contrary to @HYUFD Harris was polling better than Biden against Trump in Pennsylvania.

I don't think Harris is a good candidate and was rubbish in the primaries 4 years ago, but she seems to have a better chance of beating Trump than Biden does.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,200
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Harris will do better than Biden with blacks, Latinos and women and less well with older white men. How that breaks down State wise is very hard to predict but I would expect Arizona and New Mexico to become far more competitive.

Women is the big one. I still think this will be the abortion election and the anger against the SC overturning Roe will be much better marshalled by Kamala than Biden could have managed. She needs a big lead amongst women to offset other areas of weakness.

I think New Mexico is now well out of the Republicans reach, but that the Democrats are toast in Arizona. (Although I expect them to hold the Senate seat because Lake will underperform Trump by 4-5 points.)
    Why are the Democrats toast in Arizona?
    Leon said:

Looks pretty grisly in Paris. The whole tgv network derailed? Those are the arteries of France

“Astonishment more than cacophony at Montparnasse station. Several thousand travelers wait, stunned, and scrutinize the notice board where 90% of departures are pending #TGV @sudouest”

https://x.com/julienrousset/status/1816743301761933720?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

What’s not being seen, is the tens of thousands of people with tickets to the opening ceremony stuck all over Europe who need to be in Paris tonight. .

I hope the organisers have a contingency plan to fill unoccupied seats tonight?
  • LeonLeon Posts: 52,701
    edited July 26
    kjh said:

Leon said:

If this sabotage continues and “succeeds” then it could be the end of the Games as we know them. Who would ever want to host if there’s a major chance of disaster?

Short memory there @Leon . Do you not remember Munich? The biggest deterrent is the cost, but people now seem to be more realistic and the games are better for it. I was concerned for London for both cost and terrorist reasons, but we pulled off an excellent games. I guess a combination of (surprising) skill and luck.

Re your post on where you are in France. I went there and loved it and not a tourist in sight, but that was 25 years ago, so now probably pretty meaningless, but glad you seem to have found it similar.
    I just drove across 20km of gorgeous Aveyron scenery to Saint Affrique. Verdant valleys and limestone cliffs and thick green woods and hilltop towns and… all deserted, in the bright warm sun
  • LeonLeon Posts: 52,701
    Le Purge
    kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Not that hard. For example Trump wins Georgia, Arizona, Nevada, and one of Michigan or Wisconsin.

Admittedly Trump seems to be polling better in Pennsylvania than Michigan and Wisconsin, so maybe Pennsylvania will be the tipping point state.

Contrary to @HYUFD Harris was polling better than Biden against Trump in Pennsylvania.

I don't think Harris is a good candidate and was rubbish in the primaries 4 years ago, but she seems to have a better chance of beating Trump than Biden does.
    She was rubbish in the primaries as she was too centrist in a crowded primary, competing in Biden's lane for the moderates and didn't have his name recognition. Not sure it is particularly relevant where she now has the name recognition and being more centrist is a positive.
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

On Tuesday, July 9, Wall Street Journal opinion columnist Jason L. Riley published a piece urging Democrats to dump President Joe Biden from the top of the presidential ticket and replace him with Vice President Kamala Harris. Aptly titled “Kamala Harris Would Be the Best Democratic Choice,” the article made a fairly straightforward argument that Biden was a “problem that need[ed] to be solved,” and that Harris was the party’s best option at this stage of the campaign.

Fast forward just two weeks, and Riley's tune has changed so dramatically it would give even the most nimble political gymnast whiplash. On July 23, Riley penned a new column with the telling title: "Kamala Harris Isn't the Change Democrats Need." This stunning reversal in such a short span of time raises serious questions about the nature of political punditry and the cynicism that often underlies it...

The whole of the American MSM (bar Fox News) has spent the last week totally gaslighting the electorate. Hundreds of articles critical of Harris have been deleted or amended, and they’re all full bore behind the new candidate they were roasting only a few weeks ago.
    Can you give links to these hundreds of articles please?
    In a way it makes more sense if Trump was hit by shrapnel than a bullet, because you'd expect a bullet to do more damage even if you were only grazed by one.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13674611/FBI-probes-Trump-really-struck-bullet-claims.html

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

She was rubbish in the primaries as she was too centrist in a crowded primary, competing in Biden's lane for the moderates and didn't have his name recognition. Not sure it is particularly relevant where she now has the name recognition and being more centrist is a positive.
    Because she was a shit campaigner who turned voters off?
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,188
    It's a bit weird that the French did not want to borrow the Victory for their flotilla down the Seine. After all, it was originally a French ship.

Foss said:

So its an old scholl physical attack on France's infrastructure rather than cyber. Some lost tourists looking for the French equivalent of Salisbury?

So far. If Russia is willing to sponsor a some terrorism then they’re likely to sponsor more.
    At the risk of sounding like Leon, it’s time we in the west started getting our revenge on Russia, preferably in ways that embarrass Putin and make him look weak.
    I wonder what the power supply system for the Moscow Metro look like… 👀
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Looks pretty grisly in Paris. The whole tgv network derailed? Those are the arteries of France

“Astonishment more than cacophony at Montparnasse station. Several thousand travelers wait, stunned, and scrutinize the notice board where 90% of departures are pending #TGV @sudouest”

https://x.com/julienrousset/status/1816743301761933720?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

What’s not being seen, is the tens of thousands of people with tickets to the opening ceremony stuck all over Europe who need to be in Paris tonight. .

It'll take a lot of helicopters and private jets.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,072
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Texas is going through a demographic change that is somewhat analogous to the English South coast. It's becoming more like California, not least because lots of Californians are moving there. It won't switch to the Dems for this election but feasible over the next ten years I think.

Except most of the Californians moving to Texas are conservatives seeking lower taxes, cheaper homes and less woke not liberals
    How do you explain Arizona turning purple?
    Arizona voted for Clinton in 1996, Texas voted for Dole. Arizona has long been a lean Republican swing state
    Nevertheless, as Californians have moved to Arizona, it has become increasingly Democrat.
    Trump got a higher voteshare in Arizona in 2020 than Dole got in Arizona in 1996
    Remind me, did Ross Perot stand in 1996? And which was his best performing state?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,806
    kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Depends which poll you read and in Arizona and Nevada Trump is polling even better against Harris than he was against Biden.

So it makes sense as RCS says for her to pick Shapiro rather than Kelly as VP as Pennsylvania is a more likely win for her, with Shapiro and high black turnout in Philadelphia than Arizona is and has more EC votes
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 26
    Sandpit said:

Foss said:

So its an old scholl physical attack on France's infrastructure rather than cyber. Some lost tourists looking for the French equivalent of Salisbury?

So far. If Russia is willing to sponsor a some terrorism then they’re likely to sponsor more.
    At the risk of sounding like Leon, it’s time we in the west started getting our revenge on Russia, preferably in ways that embarrass Putin and make him look weak.
    I wonder what the power supply system for the Moscow Metro look like… 👀
    Probably more resilient than western ones due to:

1) Communism meant no value engineering.
    2) Institutionalised Paranoia adding extra redundancy.
    kamski said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Because she was a shit campaigner who turned voters off?
    Turned left wing (by US standards) primary voters off.
    kenObi said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

If this sabotage continues and “succeeds” then it could be the end of the Games as we know them. Who would ever want to host if there’s a major chance of disaster?

Short memory there @Leon . Do you not remember Munich? The biggest deterrent is the cost, but people now seem to be more realistic and the games are better for it. I was concerned for London for both cost and terrorist reasons, but we pulled off an excellent games. I guess a combination of (surprising) skill and luck.

Re your post on where you are in France. I went there and loved it and not a tourist in sight, but that was 25 years ago, so now probably pretty meaningless, but glad you seem to have found it similar.
    Indeed.

Its a dick waving contest to host.

I'd imagine all the oil & gas middle east states are absolutely desperate to hold it.
    Probably think they could host the winter olympics as well.
    https://www.skidxb.com/ :D
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,476

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

I’m not sure previous campaigns are a brilliant pointer because the circumstances of each campaign is different.

Biden ran three times (four if you count this year).

He was only successful once.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 26,939
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Other way round in this case. The older article praised Kamala, presumably to undermine Biden. Now she's got the nod, she is being attacked.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,378

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

stodge said:

theProle said:

Nigelb said:

Re Black Hole...as Paul Johnson from the IFS has said now with the OBR and more data than ever available there is no unknown surprise of a black hole. Excluding some rounding around the edge, all the numbers that are required are available to all. Its all theatre to claim you have only just discovered it.

No - it won't be a surprise to them because they were telling the truth during the election campaign and before. Meanwhile, Hunt was telling us that everything was wonderful - a delusion he carried forward to the King's Speech debate earlier this week.
    Actually both Labour and the Tories were extremely reticent about addressing the implied 'black hole' in the finances which every financial commentator recognised was implied by Hunt's existing tax & spending plans.

Reeves is now fessing up to what everyone paying attention already knew.
    Which makes her as least as much of a lying scumbag as the previous government.

My big gripe is with all the "Broken Britain" memes. I live in a small town that's rapidly being wrecked by excessive housebuilding without the construction of matching infrastructure ...
    Sorry but there is no such thing as "excessive housebuilding".

We have a chronic housing shortage and there is nowhere in the country with a surplus of housing, so there is no "excessive" anywhere.

You may have a problem of a lack of infrastructure, many places do, but that is a reason to demand more infrastructure not fewer homes when we have a chronic housing shortage.
    At last there seems to be a recognition of the importance of infrastructure in the housing/housebuilding crisis rather than the meaningless "build, build, build" mantra.

I'm more than happy to see hundreds of thousands of new homes built as long as the supporting infrastructure is in place and that's not just utilities or transport. It's making sure the existing community infrastructure of schools, libraries, health facilities, refuse collection and all the rest of the areas the pro-building lobby doesn't seem to either consider or think important are also in place or planned (I've used the "P" word, I'll be in trouble for that).

House builders and developers already contribute to this via Section 106 payments but these need to be ramped up as a development is far more than just the bricks, mortar and pipework. As an aside, there needs to be much rigorous inspection of newbuilds given the horror stories coming out about the poor quality of construction.
    Sorry, but no "as long as".

Build, build, build is the only solution.

Yes we need other investments too, but they need to happen on top of (not before or instead of, or conditional upon or vice-versa) more housing.

Section 106 should be totally abolished in my view. All taxpayers equally should pay for new public infrastructure not just new home buyers. Private new infrastructure should be owned by the buyer privately, that's all they should be paying for.
    So you want to build huge estates with no facilities and no compulsion to provide them in the hope that they get built some time in the future. You are mad.

Thatcher had this right 40 years ago. Those who profit should pay. Developers make vast sums from housing and they should be the ones to contribute to the services that help them make those profits. Section 106 should be reformed but mostly to make the compulsion on builders stronger. They should be the ones carrying the burden not the tax payer.

The taxpayer will already be carrying the increased burden going forward for the actual staffing and running of those facilities. They should not be paying out for the actual infrastructure as well.
    Barty ignores the externalities of his build, build, build vision. He says build anywhere in the middle of the field down the road, not understanding that to supply water and power and whatnot to the middle of that field will require amendment to the existing infrastructure of existing residents and I am sure he is enough of a democrat to appreciate that those locals should have a say in the development of that existing infrastructure.
    There are no externalities is why.

People require housing and services. The people are already in this country.

Building houses doesn't increase the demand for services, it just lowers the shortage of supply of housing. The demand for services remains the same, since the population remains the same.
    You said you wanted to build anywhere. That involves externalities. Not in the middle of cities, but some of the places you have said you want to build, build, build.
    No it doesn't. Since demand for services comes from people, not houses, and there isn't anywhere in the country that has a surplus of homes currently, so everywhere would benefit from more construction currently, there are no externalities.

All taxpayers should pay taxes equally. All taxpayers should pay equally for public services, not only those who live in a new home paying for them.
    You can't build a house without an outlet to the sewerage system, unless you want to go backj to the good old pre-Bazalgette days.

So it's houses not people that demand the capital cost of services. Ditto power, water, broadband. All need to be installed collectiveluy before people come in.

Later runnign cost is another matter, sure. But that is not what we are talking about when it comes to house *building*.
    Ditto libraries, schools, surgeries. Furthermore, they are all tied to a location, and that location is relatively small. Having public services five miles away is way less useful than having them within walking distance.

(The answer is probably that everywhere needs more capital spending than it gets at the moment, but that's down to a political choice that has been endorsed at multiple elections.)
    People have this thing called cars.

Having public services 5 miles away is much better than not having them at all.
    kamski said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Not if they've all been deleted, obviously.

Nevertheless, it is a claim that requires evidence: screenshots of articles that are no longer available.
    Sandpit said:

kenObi said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Indeed.

I'd imagine all the oil & gas middle east states are absolutely desperate to hold it.
    Downhill would be about 8 seconds.

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

stodge said:

theProle said:

Nigelb said:

Re Black Hole...as Paul Johnson from the IFS has said now with the OBR and more data than ever available there is no unknown surprise of a black hole. Excluding some rounding around the edge, all the numbers that are required are available to all. Its all theatre to claim you have only just discovered it.

No - it won't be a surprise to them because they were telling the truth during the election campaign and before. Meanwhile, Hunt was telling us that everything was wonderful - a delusion he carried forward to the King's Speech debate earlier this week.
    Actually both Labour and the Tories were extremely reticent about addressing the implied 'black hole' in the finances which every financial commentator recognised was implied by Hunt's existing tax & spending plans.

My big gripe is with all the "Broken Britain" memes. I live in a small town that's rapidly being wrecked by excessive housebuilding without the construction of matching infrastructure ...

We have a chronic housing shortage and there is nowhere in the country with a surplus of housing, so there is no "excessive" anywhere.

You may have a problem of a lack of infrastructure, many places do, but that is a reason to demand more infrastructure not fewer homes when we have a chronic housing shortage.
    At last there seems to be a recognition of the importance of infrastructure in the housing/housebuilding crisis rather than the meaningless "build, build, build" mantra.

I'm more than happy to see hundreds of thousands of new homes built as long as the supporting infrastructure is in place and that's not just utilities or transport. It's making sure the existing community infrastructure of schools, libraries, health facilities, refuse collection and all the rest of the areas the pro-building lobby doesn't seem to either consider or think important are also in place or planned (I've used the "P" word, I'll be in trouble for that).

House builders and developers already contribute to this via Section 106 payments but these need to be ramped up as a development is far more than just the bricks, mortar and pipework. As an aside, there needs to be much rigorous inspection of newbuilds given the horror stories coming out about the poor quality of construction.

Yes we need other investments too, but they need to happen on top of (not before or instead of, or conditional upon or vice-versa) more housing.

Section 106 should be totally abolished in my view. All taxpayers equally should pay for new public infrastructure not just new home buyers. Private new infrastructure should be owned by the buyer privately, that's all they should be paying for.
    So you want to build huge estates with no facilities and no compulsion to provide them in the hope that they get built some time in the future. You are mad.

Thatcher had this right 40 years ago. Those who profit should pay. Developers make vast sums from housing and they should be the ones to contribute to the services that help them make those profits. Section 106 should be reformed but mostly to make the compulsion on builders stronger. They should be the ones carrying the burden not the tax payer.

The taxpayer will already be carrying the increased burden going forward for the actual staffing and running of those facilities. They should not be paying out for the actual infrastructure as well.
    Barty ignores the externalities of his build, build, build vision. He says build anywhere in the middle of the field down the road, not understanding that to supply water and power and whatnot to the middle of that field will require amendment to the existing infrastructure of existing residents and I am sure he is enough of a democrat to appreciate that those locals should have a say in the development of that existing infrastructure.

Building houses doesn't increase the demand for services, it just lowers the shortage of supply of housing. The demand for services remains the same, since the population remains the same.
    You said you wanted to build anywhere. That involves externalities. Not in the middle of cities, but some of the places you have said you want to build, build, build.
    No it doesn't. Since demand for services comes from people, not houses, and there isn't anywhere in the country that has a surplus of homes currently, so everywhere would benefit from more construction currently, there are no externalities.

All taxpayers should pay taxes equally. All taxpayers should pay equally for public services, not only those who live in a new home paying for them.
    You can't build a house without an outlet to the sewerage system, unless you want to go backj to the good old pre-Bazalgette days.

So it's houses not people that demand the capital cost of services. Ditto power, water, broadband. All need to be installed collectiveluy before people come in.

Later runnign cost is another matter, sure. But that is not what we are talking about when it comes to house *building*.
    Ditto libraries, schools, surgeries. Furthermore, they are all tied to a location, and that location is relatively small. Having public services five miles away is way less useful than having them within walking distance.

(The answer is probably that everywhere needs more capital spending than it gets at the moment, but that's down to a political choice that has been endorsed at multiple elections.)

Given those in need of things like doctors often cannot drive, that is not a good solution
    rcs1000 said:

kamski said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Nevertheless, it is a claim that requires evidence: screenshots of articles that are no longer available.
    Rule #1: Nothing is ever deleted from the internet.

Anyone who claims a mass deletion is usually full of shit.
    edited July 26
    kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

I think it’s hard but not impossible to see a scenario where Trump loses PA but holds on to both MI and WI. Particularly WI.

Of course that doesn’t help Harris if she’s lost NC, GA, NV and AZ and Trump wins one of MI, WI and PA, because she’d have lost at that point.

The interesting one for me is GA. Harris appears to be a bit more competitive here based on the limited polling. If she gets GA into play then the map opens up a lot more for her.
    Eabhal said:

What's the chance Macron loses it and concludes the opening ceremony with the destruction of the Kerch bridge?

Streamed live from the bomber planes, on the massive screen in the stadium? Yes please!

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

stodge said:

theProle said:

Nigelb said:

Given those in need of things like doctors often cannot drive, that is not a good solution
    Don't be silly, those who can't drive for medical reasons usually can't walk a mile either.

For those who can't drive, getting a taxi is far better than saying walk.

I know this site has loads of people who hate private transport, but it exists.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,375
    I think Macron is going to swim the Seine in his speedos then get into a Raf Dassault and do a top gun raid style on the Kerch bridge before parachuting into the stadium this evening.

rcs1000 said:

kamski said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Rule #1: Nothing is ever deleted from the internet.

Anyone who claims a mass deletion is usually full of shit.
    My point was that a link to an article that doesn't exist doesn't prove anything.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,806
    edited July 26

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

She was rubbish in the primaries as she was too centrist in a crowded primary, competing in Biden's lane for the moderates and didn't have his name recognition. Not sure it is particularly relevant where she now has the name
    recognition and being more centrist is a positive.
    Buttigieg and Bloomberg as well as Biden were more centrist than Harris in the 2020 Democratic primaries, she was only more centrist
    than Sanders and Warren
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,725
    Eabhal said:

What's the chance Macron loses it and concludes the opening ceremony with the destruction of the Kerch bridge?

rcs1000 said:

kinabalu said:

So that's it then. Michelle is not running.

Unless? ...

She's just playing the long game.
    If Macron were to destroy the Kerch Bridge, I would hope that even TSE would be pro France.
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,364
    Even given that Trump is borderline barmy, why should that make the Democrat's actions for the last two or three years acceptable? And why should we believe them now? I remember asking a couple of friends, who had an interest in US politics, last year how they would hide Biden's zombie shuffle, and his being away with the Fairies.

I'm in my mid-seventies and occasionally meet up with old friends. Most are bright, and as I remember, but some aren't, and there's no hiding it. My wife finished her nursing career caring for the demented, and assumed some time ago that Biden was one of the afflicted.

A case for sympathy, not being used as a place-holder for someone else's career prospects. That's been a disgrace, and heads should roll for it. But they won't. Had they kept the pretence going, they still had to keep him out the lime light totally, but when the men with the money ever met him, the game would be up. As finally happened.

edited July 26
    kamski said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Here’s a good starting point.
    https://x.com/drewholden360/status/1816247920477270428

And I’ll use my image of the day on this one:

CD13 said:

Even given that Trump is borderline barmy, why should that make the Democrat's actions for the last two or three years acceptable? And why should we believe them now? I remember asking a couple of friends, who had an interest in US politics, last year how they would hide Biden's zombie shuffle, and his being away with the Fairies.

I'm in my mid-seventies and occasionally meet up with old friends. Most are bright, and as I remember, but some aren't, and there's no hiding it. My wife finished her nursing career caring for the demented, and assumed some time ago that Biden was one of the afflicted.

A case for sympathy, not being used as a place-holder for someone else's career prospects. That's been a disgrace, and heads should roll for it. But they won't. Had they kept the pretence going, they still had to keep him out the lime light totally, but when the men with the money ever met him, the game would be up. As finally happened.

So, the Democrats were subverting the will of the people by allowing the person who won the Presidential election to continue in power? And therefore, Americans should vote for someone who actively tried to subvert the 2020 Presidential election via slates of fake electors.

I just want to check, because that seems to be what you're saying.
    HYUFD said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

She was rubbish in the primaries as she was too centrist in a crowded primary, competing in Biden's lane for the moderates and didn't have his name recognition. Not sure it is particularly relevant where she now has the name
    recognition and being more centrist is a positive.
    Buttigieg and Bloomberg as well as Biden were more centrist than Harris in the 2020 Democratic primaries, she was only more centrist
    than Sanders and Warren
    And the wings were dominated by Biden vs Sanders who between them got about 80% of the vote and 95% of the delegates. Everyone else was crowded out, more by name recognition than quality of campaign. Buttigieg probably ran the best campaign.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,725
    Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

It'll take a lot of helicopters and private jets.
    Rishi shouldn’t have a problem getting there on time, then.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,349
    Pulpstar said:

I think Macron is going to swim the Seine in his speedos then get into a Raf Dassault and do a top gun raid style on the Kerch bridge before parachuting into the stadium this evening.

We had James Bond in the 2012 opening ceremony...
    Pulpstar said:

"Je suis le James Bond Francais," as Macron has been known to mutter.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,501
    edited July 26

Sandpit said:

kenObi said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Indeed.

I vaguely recall somewhere in the middle east was thinking about the winter Olympics. I can sort of imagine building the ski jump, bobsleigh, biathlon and slalom, courses in doors although they would be an enormous size and cost, but I just can't image the downhill or Super G is possible.

PS Just giggled at imagining the ski jumpers banging their heads on the roof.
    CD13 said:

Vote Trump for sanity.
  • Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 678
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

Cicero said:

Cicero said:

Oh Dear.

This is on a par with the sort of things that happened in Ireland in 1921.

"France’s train network sabotaged in ‘massive arson attack’ hours ahead of Olympics opening ceremony
    Services on several routes cancelled after TGV facilities damaged, country’s rail operator says

“SNCF was the victim of several simultaneous malicious acts overnight,” the national train operator said, adding that the attacks affected its Atlantic, northern and eastern lines."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/07/26/france-train-network-sabotaged-olympics/

Actually it happened in France before, on the 5th/6th of June 1944.
    It was the only language they understood
    The Russians are cruising for a hell of a kicking. This more or less open sabotage will lead to blow back. I came back from France yesterday and the mood towards Russia is increasingly hostile. If there is a successful sabotage, I think the DGSE will really go after the organisers as well as the perpetrators.
    What makes you think it is the Russians?
    Because the French government warned of a direct threat a couple of days ago when they arrested a sleeper agent.
    Obviously signalling what might happen.
    Good points
    You all have one-track minds.
    That's hard to gauge.
    No need to get cross.
    HO OO
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,897
    Sandpit said:

I think Sun Belt and Rust Belt are different problems for the Harris team to solve.

Sun Belt is Democrat cities and deeply conservative hinterland. You're not going to get anyone to change their minds. It's all about firing up the Democrat cities and near suburbs.

In the Rust Belt it's about changing minds and getting blue collar workers who previously voted Democrat and moved to Trump to move back again.
    Sandpit said:

kamski said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

So nothing deleted then?

Amendments happen all the time, and they've been honest about the fact they've made one (so the reader can judge the validity of the amendment), but you claimed stuff was being deleted.

What's been deleted?

Putting side-by-side articles that disagree with each other, neither of which is deleted, is not remotely a case of deleting stuff.
    kjh said:

Sandpit said:

kenObi said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Indeed.

I vaguely recall somewhere in the middle east was thinking about the winter Olympics. I can sort of imagine building the ski jump, bobsleigh, biathlon and slalom, courses in doors although they would be an enormous size and cost, but I just can't image the downhill or Super G is possible.

Yep Saudi Arabia is going to host the Asian Winter Games at a cost of $500bn. The downhill will be outside (I have no idea how).
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,995

Pulpstar said:

We had James Bond in the 2012 opening ceremony...
    They should have Inspector Clouseau.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,497
    Mr. kjh, some of Saudi Arabia's 'projects' are mental. Not least The Line.
    Mr RCS 1000,

I'm no fan of Trump, and I'd be pleased to see him beaten. But I'm asking what was the reasoning behind pushing Biden to stay on despite his illness? And more importantly, his obvious illness. It meant that Kamala took a back seat. I don't have a medical degree, but the optics were bound to get steadily worse.

• NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,214
    Sandpit said:

kamski said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

So you're saying that an outlet which got called out for repeating an incorrect GOP talking point, and issued a correction, was gaslighting the electorate on behalf of the GOP ?
    Sandpit said:

kamski said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

So the gaslighting amounts to at least one news source that I've never heard of openly amending describing Harris as "border czar"?

Who's gaslighting who here?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,459
    DavidL said:

It's a bit weird that the French did not want to borrow the Victory for their flotilla down the Seine. After all, it was originally a French ship.

Victory was built at Chatham Dockyard in 1758.

I think you might be confusing it with Temeraire, which wasn’t French but was named after a captured French 74.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 47,962
    a
    kjh said:

kjh said:

Sandpit said:

kenObi said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Indeed.

Yep Saudi Arabia is going to host the Asian Winter Games at a cost of $500bn. The downhill will be outside (I have no idea how).
    To be fair, the $500 Billion is actually the price tag for the their mad Neom project. The Winter Games are just a side hustle.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,148
    MattW said:

Recall the 'My shoes ! my shoes!' when he was stopping the Secret Service take him away after he was nearly shot? How much height are Cuban heels and a bouffant wig worth?

Has anyone ever measured his claimed height of 6' 3"? Is it in the medical records he won't release? Perhaps, like many of the things about him, it's a fairy story.

If you want to gain height, you wear shoes with height built up on the inside and normal looking heels.

If you wear cuban heels, you're either doing it for style or comfort.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,016
    CD13 said:

Mr RCS 1000,

I'm no fan of Trump, and I'd be pleased to see him beaten. But I'm asking what was the reasoning behind pushing Biden to stay on despite his illness? And more importantly, his obvious illness. It meant that Kamala took a back seat. I don't have a medical degree, but the optics were bound to get steadily worse.

The mistake is in the way you frane your question. The only person who could decide the matter was Biden himself. No one else was constitutionally able to firce him out against his will.

And the main person pushing him to stay on was his wife. We think in terms of big politcial movements and events but this was an entirely personal family decision - both to stay and eventually to leave. No one else was able to force the matter. Many peoplke, including some on here, have claimed it was nothing more than Jill Biden's reluctance to give up the trappings of First Lady.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,644
    kjh said:

kjh said:

Sandpit said:

kenObi said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Indeed.

It snows regularly in the Asir mountains in Saudi. No idea if there are any ski resorts there.
    "Hospitals have gone unchecked for up to 10 years

‘Stunned’ Wes Streeting says the Care Quality Commission is unfit for purpose" (£)

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/healthcare/article/hospitals-have-gone-unchecked-for-up-to-10-years-3bz5bhrf0
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,507
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

I think you might be confusing it with Temeraire, which wasn’t French but was named after a captured French 74.
    No - Victory was ordered in 1758. She wasn’t launched until 1765.
    Mr Tyndall,

Thanks for the information. My wife actually brought up his wife, and I did wonder about her feelings on the issue. The Soviets used to parade the elder statesmen and I used to wonder why they did that. One or two looked stuffed. Politics seems a nasty old business. It works on gut feelings. One reason I've never gambled on it.

Why do I come here then? Because of the civilised discourse.

edited July 26
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

kamski said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

So you're saying that an outlet which got called out for repeating an incorrect GOP talking point, and issued a correction, was gaslighting the electorate on behalf of the GOP ?
    No, I’m saying that an outlet that’s repeatedly used a particular phrase to describe a role given to Ms Harris, is now doing its best to retract that three years later, on behalf of the Dems, and in response to GOP attacks.

They’re not the only outlet to have done the same. It’s an Orwellian attempt to rewrite history.
    CD13 said:

Mr RCS 1000,

Human beings follow the path of least resistance. People with dementia also have good days and bad days, and their progression can be both uneven and slow. They also typically don't realize the extent of their cognitive decline.

It's also human nature to cover for your boss.

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

kamski said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

No, I’m saying that an outlet that’s repeatedly used a particular phrase to describe a role given to Ms Harris, is now doing its best to retract that three years later, on behalf of the Dems, and in response to GOP attacks.

They’re not the only outlet to have done the same.
    Spin != deletion.
    DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Didn’t know that.

Good to know government procurement was just as inept in the 18th century as it is now.

Mr. kjh, some of Saudi Arabia's 'projects' are mental. Not least The Line.

Ahhh. It all appears to be part of the same thing (Trojena, Neom City, etc). I know nothing about any of this. It seems that the skiing will be on the Sarawat Mountains. If you google any pictures of them they lack one obvious essential thing. However apparently they have produced artificial snow there. I have skied on many runs with snowmaking machines and they are fine, but I am not sure how easy that is on runs that are steep enough for a downhill and you need the right conditions to use them. Having said that downhill racers are nutters that like runs that are very icy rather than what I would call good skiing snow. In fact downhill runs are often sprayed with water (the hooligans) before a race.
    Windies 3 down.

CD13 said:

Mr RCS 1000,

The mistake is in the way you frane your question. The only person who could decide the matter was Biden himself. No one else was constitutionally able to firce him out against his will.

And the main person pushing him to stay on was his wife. We think in terms of big politcial movements and events but this was an entirely personal family decision - both to stay and eventually to leave. No one else was able to force the matter. Many peoplke, including some on here, have claimed it was nothing more than Jill Biden's reluctance to give up the trappings of First Lady.
    I think its more than a bit unfair on Jill.

In my experience denial of decline runs deep and expands to spouses as much as the person in decline.
    West Indies throwing away a strong position again.

Mind the ball Wood bowled would have got out better batsmen than the unfortunate McKenzie, and that’s not to disparage McKenzie.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,461
    carnforth said:

MattW said:

If you want to gain height, you wear shoes with height built up on the inside and normal looking heels.

If you wear cuban heels, you're either doing it for style or comfort.
    Well it’s not style in this case obvs.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,449
    edited July 26
    kamski said:

Sandpit said:

kamski said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

So the gaslighting amounts to at least one news source that I've never heard of openly amending describing Harris as "border czar"?

https://x.com/reuters/status/1374945387275022339

Reuters 2021: “President Joe Biden put Vice President Kamala Harris in charge of efforts to stem the flow of migrants at the U.S.-Mexico border, which has led to a surge of unaccompanied children and an overcrowding of processing facilities”
    Mr. kjh, yeah, I think the Octagon or whatever they've called it is nearby. It's absolutely crackers.

They've rightly identified that the UAE has thrown money at big projects but those things made sense. In the same way a competition for e-sports can make sense. But making a city that's a line in the northwest of Saudi Arabia is crazy. It's the least efficient shape possible and is already way over the astronomical budget.

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

DougSeal said:

Cicero said:

Cicero said:

Oh Dear.

This is on a par with the sort of things that happened in Ireland in 1921.

"France’s train network sabotaged in ‘massive arson attack’ hours ahead of Olympics opening ceremony
    Services on several routes cancelled after TGV facilities damaged, country’s rail operator says

“SNCF was the victim of several simultaneous malicious acts overnight,” the national train operator said, adding that the attacks affected its Atlantic, northern and eastern lines."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2024/07/26/france-train-network-sabotaged-olympics/

Actually it happened in France before, on the 5th/6th of June 1944.
    It was the only language they understood
    The Russians are cruising for a hell of a kicking. This more or less open sabotage will lead to blow back. I came back from France yesterday and the mood towards Russia is increasingly hostile. If there is a successful sabotage, I think the DGSE will really go after the organisers as well as the perpetrators.
    What makes you think it is the Russians?
    Because the French government warned of a direct threat a couple of days ago when they arrested a sleeper agent.
    Obviously signalling what might happen.
    Good points
    You all have one-track minds.
    That's hard to gauge.
    No need to get cross.
    No raillery from me.
    Why? Not your station in life?
    Are the French
    kamski said:

Sandpit said:

kamski said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

https://x.com/reuters/status/1374945387275022339

Reuters 2021: “President Joe Biden put Vice President Kamala Harris in charge of efforts to stem the flow of migrants at the U.S.-Mexico border, which has led to a surge of unaccompanied children and an overcrowding of processing facilities”
    So not deleted there either, its still there.

Though considering numbers are subsequently falling, I'm curious why Harris getting blame for a problem that arose before she was appointed and now its falling?
    .Leader of Mexico's Sinaloa drug cartel arrested in Texas
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c4ng4g31x1wo
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 20,923
    HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Texas is going through a demographic change that is somewhat analogous to the English South coast. It's becoming more like California, not least because lots of Californians are moving there. It won't switch to the Dems for this election but feasible over the next ten years I think.

Except most of the Californians moving to Texas are conservatives seeking lower taxes, cheaper homes and less woke not liberals
    Indeed. We had this in the 80's in the UK with people moving to Conservative areas. The presumption by commentators was that it would make them more Labour. But the exact opposite happened.
    CNN 2021: Vice President Kamala Harris is at the helm of the Biden administration’s effort to fix the crisis at the southern border, but what does her role actually entail? We’ll get some insights from CNN’s White House Correspondent @ArletteSaenz 8amE on @InsidePolitics

https://x.com/abbydphillip/status/1383424220873433091
    Politico 2021: President Biden announced today that Vice President Kamala Harris will be the White House's point person on immigration issues at the nation's southern border.

https://x.com/politico/status/1374792140950229005
    NBC 2021: VP Harris will be now leading the administration's efforts at the southern border and with Mexico and the Northern Triangle countries. WH says she'll be focused on stemming the flow of irregular migrants to the US and establishing of a strategic partnership with these countries.

https://x.com/yamiche/status/1374791641786155015
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

You're right. A misremembered fact. Oh well. I will let the French off on this occasion.
    edited July 26
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

Indeed. We had this in the 80's in the UK with people moving to Conservative areas. The presumption by commentators was that it would make them more Labour. But the exact opposite happened.
    While some of them are conservative it appears some of them are Democrats fleeing the mess democrat state/municipality has made but unable to work out the connection and voting for democrat loony left in Arizona.

(it is one of the things that makes right wing culture warriors there very cross).
    edited July 26
    ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Didn’t know that.

Good to know government procurement was just as inept in the 18th century as it is now.
    It was more complicate than that. She was ordered as a replacement for a wrecked ship - which left the RN missing one first rate in their planned lineup.

Then peace broke out. So work was halted and she was covered over and left on the slip - standard procedure at the time. A half built ship could wait for decades without much issue. The only cost was a watchman or two to keep an eye on things.

Some say that the extra years of seasoning the main structural timbers helped give her a long useful life.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,942
    Oh no, here we go.

https://unherd.com/newsroom/labour-to-axe-university-free-speech-bill/

"...that the culture wars on university campuses “end here”" - that's rich that it.
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

You're right. A misremembered fact. Oh well. I will let the French off on this occasion.

Firstly you must always implicitly obey orders, without attempting to form any opinion of your own regarding their propriety. Secondly, you must consider every man your enemy who speaks ill of your king; and thirdly you must hate a Frenchman as you hate the devil.
  • AnthonyTAnthonyT Posts: 31
    ydoethur said:

And to go off topic straight away, this is pretty damning:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cjk3p4jnnl6o

I think many teachers will recognise the issues as reading across to OFSTED too.

As is this - https://www.thetimes.com/uk/scotland/article/financial-crisis-at-scottish-pharmacies-over-it-system-failures-9h766fjkx.
    edited July 26
    "Eco-mob and the far-left 'main suspects' behind Paris Olympics train chaos: 'Coordinated massive arson attack' that has paralyzed rail network hours before opening ceremony 'has hallmarks of protest groups' investigators say"

"The methods used to launch the massive 'coordinated arson attack' on rail installations across the country resemble those used by such radical groups in the past, the security source claimed."

https://mol.im/a/13676033

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Firstly you must always implicitly obey orders, without attempting to form any opinion of your own regarding their propriety. Secondly, you must consider every man your enemy who speaks ill of your king; and thirdly you must hate a Frenchman as you hate the devil.
    Horatio Nelson himself, no less.
    Stocky said:

Oh no, here we go.

"...that the culture wars on university campuses “end here”" - that's rich that it.

By dropping the right to freedom of speech?

More gaslighting.
    Nigelb said:

.Leader of Mexico's Sinaloa drug cartel arrested in Texas
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c4ng4g31x1wo

Quite a significant win for the Feds.
    ...Zambada is arguably the biggest drug lord in the world and certainly the most influential in the Americas.
    He had evaded authorities for decades, and as such, his arrest has come as a shock in Mexico.
    In a statement, US Secretary of Homeland Security Alejandro Mayorkas said the Sinaloa cartel "pioneered the manufacture of fentanyl and has for years trafficked it into our country, killing hundreds of thousands of Americans and devastating countless communities"...
  • jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 769
    edited July 26
    DavidL said:

No she wasn't! Ordered by Pitt the Elder in 1758.
    Andy_JS said:

"Hospitals have gone unchecked for up to 10 years

‘Stunned’ Wes Streeting says the Care Quality Commission is unfit for purpose" (£)

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/healthcare/article/hospitals-have-gone-unchecked-for-up-to-10-years-3bz5bhrf0

If only there were other ways of judging hospital quality, like say, deaths. He might still be right about the CQC though.
    Mr. Sandpit, war is peace, you know.
    Badenoch accuses rival campaign of dirty tricks
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/czrj832e973o

No names.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,116

MattW said:

The Obamas endorse Kamala. The video is a bit cringey.

https://x.com/kamalaharris/status/1816760632982622245

I'd say that's just a Usonian thing, where everything is a touch Mickey Mouse Club, and the Obamas being a little LibDem - wait until the tendency is clear and then stand in front of the crowd.
    We had been led to expect fireworks around the Obama endorsement. This video is rather a damp squib.
    Who(m) lead you to "expect fireworks around the Obama endorsement"?

Significant is NOT in any bells and whistles. It's in the fact that . . . wait for it . . . Barack Obama has endorsed Kamala Harris for the Democratic nomination for President of the United States.

Obama did it as soon as it was crystal clear, that Harris has secured a (super-super) majority of delegate and without ANY declared opponent.

Despite the best efforts of Trump-fluffers to claim that Obama was against Harris and opposed to her nomination and election.

Well, he's up and done it - surprise, surprise!
    Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Oh no, here we go.

More gaslighting.
    Freedom of speech is unnecessary when Truth and Justice have been defined by The Right People.

I still recall a friend at Uni - he was furiously threatened with all kinds of reprisals if he ran his software to analyse text (his thesis project) over the wrong texts.....
    Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Oh no, here we go.

More gaslighting.
    Here come the bits of Labour that annoy me. To be fair it was only a matter of time.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,507
    ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Didn’t know that.

You had to find enough trees for a very large vessel TBF.
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Horatio Nelson himself, no less.
    The legendary inventor, himself. Yes.
  • WillGWillG Posts: 2,366

NBC 2021: VP Harris will be now leading the administration's efforts at the southern border and with Mexico and the Northern Triangle countries. WH says she'll be focused on stemming the flow of irregular migrants to the US and establishing of a strategic partnership with these countries.

https://x.com/yamiche/status/1374791641786155015

"Regardless of whether the ban is lifted, apprehensions in July are continuing the downward trend, with June already being the lowest of the Biden administration, according to Customs and Border Patrol.

Statistics released by the agency this week showed that such apprehensions decreased by 29% in June, clocking in at 83,536. This compares to 117,901 in May and is the lowest tally since January 2021."

https://www.latintimes.com/border-crossings-have-dropped-so-much-they-are-nearing-threshold-lift-partial-ban-asylum-seeking-556584
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,116
    kamski said:

Sandpit said:

kamski said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Was well publicized that President Biden was designating Vice President as having some essentially undefined responsibility for The Border - with giving her the authority or resources to actually be a "border czar".

Which raised expectations - vague and unrealistic though they were - that appear to be unfulfilled.

This is indeed significant problem for Kamala Harris in 2024, along with the condition of US economy, not as analyzed by economists but felt & perceived by voters.
This discussion has been closed.