Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Could one of the gruesome twosome win the Tory leadership? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,415

Well that was a bit of a shit show at the end of the session in the cricket. They go in with only Brook out and could have come out and gone T20 mode for an hour or so and game out of reach of WI. Instead, if they collapso quickly, game on.

I was at the ground yesterday. Fantastic day of test cricket, especially the 6s by the WI number 11.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,891

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jenrick was at Cambridge with Braverman and they got on, if she backs him rather than defects to Reform that suggests she thinks he will reach out to Farage voters.

At the moment the momentum is with Jenrick, he had a good interview in the Telegraph yesterday which highlighted his provincial upbringing and working class parents. He can appeal to the right of the party by promising to be tougher on immigration for example while also he was the only leadership contender who backed Sunak over Truss so can appeal to some former Sunak loyalist MPs too.

I expect the final 2 picked by MPs to be Jenrick and Tugendhat as it stands, with Jenrick then winning the membership vote to become Tory leader

Good morning

And so ends the conservative party
    What utter rubbish. 38% of voters voted for the Tories and Reform on July 4th, more than the 33% who voted for Labour
    Time for my regular reminder that the right have never won a majority of the post-war vote:

In 2015 the DUP got 0.6% and the UUP 0.4%. So the combined right of centre Tory, UKIP, DUP and UUP UK voteshare was 50.4% and a majority. Plus the 8% who voted LD were voting for an Orange Book, free market, Cleggite Liberal party too
    I concede on 2015 with the DUP/UUP vote. I deliberately left nationalists and the NI vote out but yes, the DUP/UUP are clearly of the right.

Personally, I'm not going to accept that the LDs have ever been right of centre but I acknowledge that it's in the eye of the beholder to some extent.

Anyway, to correct my earlier assertion: "The right have only once won a majority of the post-war vote".
    The left have never won a majority of the post war vote, not even once like the right, if we take the LDs, SDP/Alliance and Liberals as centre not right nor left then.

Closest they got was 48.8% for Attlee's Labour in 1951
    If you do that you are just ignoring reality.
    Take a look at this recent list of answers to the polling question "please indicate if you would NEVER vote for a party proposing the following policies"
    https://x.com/TypeForVictory/status/1814654140443717985

The answers do not really suggest a left/right dichotomy in the electorate.
    That dichotomy is probably far more of an artefact of FPTP.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,383
    Andy_JS said:

There probably isn't a single ordinary person who finds the Albert Memorial offensive.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/07/20/albert-memorial-considered-offensive-royal-parks/

I find it offensive to good taste, it's pig-ugly.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,466

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Interesting quote from the Chancellor:

"If we could unlock just 1% of the money in defined contribution schemes - and invest that in more productive assets [and] fast-growing British companies - that’d be £8bn to help finance growth and prosperity and wealth creation here in Britain.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c4ng5n0my0zo

Perhaps Reeves could start off by publicly investing her own money in 'productive assets'.

And then announce that all public sector pensions will henceforth be dependent upon the return on 'productive assets'.
    Is the Reeves scheme markedly different from Jeremy Hunt's? I share the general scepticism that there is an untapped mass of world-beating British industry, but I get the intent.
    Wasn't Hunt's an ISA ?

If so then investing would be from personal choice.

Defined contribution pensions are more towards obligatory for many people.

Now if Reeves would suggest an optional extra pension aimed at investing in UK assets and businesses then that would be worthwhile.

In fact that could be linked with putting a maximum pension cap into a 'standard' pension scheme.
    Be interesting to know how many people actually taken advantage of this ISA. I haven't rushed out looking to stick any of my spare cash in it.
    Zero. Just consultation so far. Didn't get launched before Mr Sunak pulled the chain on the electoral cistern. So down the toilet for now, I believe.

Was going to be 5K addition to the normal 20K pa, but spent on UK stocks and shares.

Buit thanks for mentioning it. I had clean forgotten it, and am doing my annual tax etc sort out, so good to have it checked.

https://www.ajbell.co.uk/isa/uk-isa
    I think it's quite likely ISA limit goes down to £10k from 2025 and the 'British ISA' will be dropped. Hopefully the 'Help to Buy ISA' or whatever it is which simply fuels house prices will be dropped too
    That last has been stopped, at least for new entrants, some years back. But the fountain is still flowing:

https://www.gov.uk/help-to-buy-isa

"If you already have a Help to Buy ISA

You can pay in up to £200 each month.

The government will top up your savings by 25% (up to £3,000) when you buy your first home.

If you are buying with someone who also has a Help to Buy ISA, both of you will get the 25% bonus.

You can pay into the ISA until November 2029. You can claim the 25% bonus until November 2030."

• No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,395

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

"If we could unlock just 1% of the money in defined contribution schemes - and invest that in more productive assets [and] fast-growing British companies - that’d be £8bn to help finance growth and prosperity and wealth creation here in Britain.

Perhaps Reeves could start off by publicly investing her own money in 'productive assets'.

And then announce that all public sector pensions will henceforth be dependent upon the return on 'productive assets'.
    Is the Reeves scheme markedly different from Jeremy Hunt's? I share the general scepticism that there is an untapped mass of world-beating British industry, but I get the intent.
    Wasn't Hunt's an ISA ?

Now if Reeves would suggest an optional extra pension aimed at investing in UK assets and businesses then that would be worthwhile.

In fact that could be linked with putting a maximum pension cap into a 'standard' pension scheme.
    Be interesting to know how many people actually taken advantage of this ISA. I haven't rushed out looking to stick any of my spare cash in it.
    Zero. Just consultation so far. Didn't get launched before Mr Sunak pulled the chain on the electoral cistern. So down the toilet for now, I believe.

Was going to be 5K addition to the normal 20K pa, but spent on UK stocks and shares.

Buit thanks for mentioning it. I had clean forgotten it, and am doing my annual tax etc sort out, so good to have it checked.

I think it's quite likely ISA limit goes down to £10k from 2025 and the 'British ISA' will be dropped. Hopefully the 'Help to Buy ISA' or whatever it is which simply fuels house prices will be dropped too
    As a "regular" ISA user, the annual limit is only an issue when investing a lump sum (e.g. tax-free cash from a pension ), my monthly contribution does not threaten the limit.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,624
    HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

The Tories hold just five seats with majorities of over 10,000.
    The LibDems hold 25 seats and Labour hold 115 seats with 10,000+ majorities.

The Tories are in a desperate position. How can they make it worse?

Easy. By electing Braverman or Jenrick as leader.
    A quick modelling exercise on the recent results shows that if the Tories elect Braverman or Jenrick as leader and lose 10% of their support to Lab and LDs then they lose an extra 30 seats or so. But if they gain back 10% of RUF support they gain back 20 seats. It's a bit of a wash.

But I don't think the future of the Tory party depends on arithmetic. It depends much more on behaviour. Poor behaviour is what has caused their recent defeat. If it continues, they won't recover. The entitled antics of Victoria Atkins yesterday is not a good omen.

The LIbDems, on the other hand, I think will provide a model of how to oppose with constructive suggestions and mutually respectful behaviour. I think (and hope) that Labour will respond in kind. But if the Tories act like spoiled brats, encouraged by Farage heckling from the back, then there is no hope for them.

The 2024 Tory vote is their core vote, they aren't losing any more of it or at most a trickle to the LDs. If they gain Reform votes, especially after a pact with Reform in seats where the Tories were second and the Tory and Reform combined vote was bigger than Labour they gain over 100 seats plus
    I love modelling with spreadsheets. I have all the data and as many assumptions as you like. But I think the future of the Tory Party is more dependent on behaviour and personalities than arithmetic. Is the Tory membership collectively capable of choosing a winning leader? I suspect not.

The Tory membership chose Cameron and Boris, the only Conservative majority winners this century
    Both turned out to be short term gain for long term pain.

That’s hardly an endorsement of the membership’s judgement.

Although given that the average Tory member is now aged over 70, maybe it was an optimal play from their own perspective?
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,873

Andy_JS said:

There probably isn't a single ordinary person who finds the Albert Memorial offensive.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/07/20/albert-memorial-considered-offensive-royal-parks/

As is the case for most things constructed in the Victorian era.

The Palace of Westminster is a monstrous carbuncle.
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jenrick was at Cambridge with Braverman and they got on, if she backs him rather than defects to Reform that suggests she thinks he will reach out to Farage voters.

At the moment the momentum is with Jenrick, he had a good interview in the Telegraph yesterday which highlighted his provincial upbringing and working class parents. He can appeal to the right of the party by promising to be tougher on immigration for example while also he was the only leadership contender who backed Sunak over Truss so can appeal to some former Sunak loyalist MPs too.

I expect the final 2 picked by MPs to be Jenrick and Tugendhat as it stands, with Jenrick then winning the membership vote to become Tory leader

Good morning

What utter rubbish. 38% of voters voted for the Tories and Reform on July 4th, more than the 33% who voted for Labour
    Time for my regular reminder that the right have never won a majority of the post-war vote:

In 2015 the DUP got 0.6% and the UUP 0.4%. So the combined right of centre Tory, UKIP, DUP and UUP UK voteshare was 50.4% and a majority. Plus the 8% who voted LD were voting for an Orange Book, free market, Cleggite Liberal party too
    I concede on 2015 with the DUP/UUP vote. I deliberately left nationalists and the NI vote out but yes, the DUP/UUP are clearly of the right.

Personally, I'm not going to accept that the LDs have ever been right of centre but I acknowledge that it's in the eye of the beholder to some extent.

Anyway, to correct my earlier assertion: "The right have only once won a majority of the post-war vote".
    The left have never won a majority of the post war vote, not even once like the right, if we take the LDs, SDP/Alliance and Liberals as centre not right nor left then.

Take a look at this recent list of answers to the polling question "please indicate if you would NEVER vote for a party proposing the following policies"

That's hardly surprising - the questions do not test a left/right dichotomy.

However, since the emergence of democracy in this country and most others voters have been offered a choice between what we would broadly say is left or right.

Sure, the whole political window has moved to the left over the years, particularly socially but also economically, but within the window the main division has always been and continues to be left v. right.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,935
    edited July 21
    Andy_JS said:

Yep .. which is why they've created historical context vis a single blog article.

Telegraph is way overboard here.

I find the auto-lobotomies imposed on anyone who writes for the Telegraph offensive.

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

However, since the emergence of democracy in this country and most others voters have been offered a choice between what we would broadly say is left or right.

Sure, the whole political window has moved to the left over the years, particularly socially but also economically, but within the window the main division has always been and continues to be left v. right.
    Three axes (at least):

Economic left-right
    Social liberal-conservative
    Authoritarian-Libertarian

I'm essentially a 1,1,1

Farage is a 2,2,2
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,528
    London is BACK!

This time as a shit-hole apparently.

https://x.com/GerryHassan/status/1814999726695030809

edited July 21

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

Three axes (at least):

Economic left-right

I'm essentially a 1,1,1

Farage is a 2,2,2
    You think that if Reform came to power, they would be libertarian rather than authoritarian?

Let’s hope that never gets put to the test!
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,657
    https://x.com/madrid_mike/status/1814689555997733078

Astonishing numbers from Pew Research with Latino voters who are now:

Biden: 36
    Trump:36
    RFK: 24

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

Three axes (at least):

Economic left-right

I'm essentially a 1,1,1

Farage is a 2,2,2
    You may be in for a nasty shock if you think Farage is Libertarian on the Authoritarian-Libertarian scale.

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

Three axes (at least):

Economic left-right

I'm essentially a 1,1,1

Farage is a 2,2,2
    You may be in for a nasty shock if you think Farage is Libertarian on the Authoritarian-Libertarian scale.
    What kind of authoritarian policies do you think he would implement if given the chance?

I thought that story sounded very fishy...

@bbcnews deliberately held back truth about dog attack story - whitewashing a family of terrorists and then butchering an IDF statement to make sure YOU never got to hear about it.

https://x.com/mishtal/status/1814930617080881243

Funny how these threads always have the same ending.

David Collier
    @mishtal
    3h
    Finally, Please support my hard hitting and unique research if you can. Help to the fight back. Subscribe to me here or sSupport my Patreon- https://patreon.com/davidcollier or donate via PayPal/CC https://paypal.com/paypalme/davidhcollier
    - thank you!!!! END
    Nonetheless the argument about the omitted context is convincing. David Collier is committed to a particular view, but that (nor appeals for support) does not prevent some of his points being cogent.

• IcarusIcarus Posts: 983
    Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

A quick modelling exercise on the recent results shows that if the Tories elect Braverman or Jenrick as leader and lose 10% of their support to Lab and LDs then they lose an extra 30 seats or so. But if they gain back 10% of RUF support they gain back 20 seats. It's a bit of a wash.

But I don't think the future of the Tory party depends on arithmetic. It depends much more on behaviour. Poor behaviour is what has caused their recent defeat. If it continues, they won't recover. The entitled antics of Victoria Atkins yesterday is not a good omen.

The LIbDems, on the other hand, I think will provide a model of how to oppose with constructive suggestions and mutually respectful behaviour. I think (and hope) that Labour will respond in kind. But if the Tories act like spoiled brats, encouraged by Farage heckling from the back, then there is no hope for them.

The 2024 Tory vote is their core vote, they aren't losing any more of it or at most a trickle to the LDs. If they gain Reform votes, especially after a pact with Reform in seats where the Tories were second and the Tory and Reform combined vote was bigger than Labour they gain over 100 seats plus
    I think you may have hit core membership numbers, but actually I think your core voter numbers can indeed still shrink. The Lib Dems are more likely to gain more total voters after a Parliament where they have stronger resources than ever before to out out their message. They now have resources to deploy for research that they have never had before. Unlike the Tories the Lib Dems know that no one owes them a living and their MPs are a generally impressive and highly motivated bunch.
    500,000 people die every year. 80% of them are the Tories core voters! They need to attract new voters aged 18 -24. I cannot see them managing to do that! Sell Telegraph shares!!
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,108

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

Three axes (at least):

Economic left-right

I'm essentially a 1,1,1

Farage is a 2,2,2
    Although there are some honorable exceptions (RichardTyndall springs to mind, as do others), Libertarians in the UK are usually social conservatives who want their drug-or-sex-of-choice legalised :)
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954

I'm begging people to use some discernment.

RFK is not going to get anywhere near 24% with Latinos. This isn't a snipe at you William but rather at the polling companies that produce such absurd results.

• tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,024
    Puff piece in the Guardian with Lewis Goodall:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jul/21/nobody-can-be-entirely-impartial-lewis-goodall-on-poverty-politics-and-the-bbc

I remember hearing [former chancellor] Ken Clarke being interviewed fairly recently. He was reflecting on Black Wednesday. And he said: well, it was obviously politically damaging, but the economic effects were very benign.” Goodall was on a run when listening. “I stopped in my tracks. It was not long after my grandad died and I was angry. I welled up. No, I thought, they weren’t benign. Thousands and thousands of people lost their homes.” Major political moments, Goodall understands, can be experienced differently.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Wednesday

By 7:00 pm that evening, Lamont announced Britain would leave the ERM and rates would remain at the new level of 12%; however, on the next day the interest rate was back to 10%.
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

Three axes (at least):

Economic left-right

I'm essentially a 1,1,1

Farage is a 2,2,2
    You think that if Reform came to power, they would be libertarian rather than authoritarian?

I was careful to say Farage, rather than Reform. Anderson is a different kettle of fish.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,651
    edited July 21
    Andy_JS said:

did it yesterday and it's the bleeding telegraph, can we skip the obvious boomer clickbait
    Nunu5 said:

RFK is not going to get anywhere near 24% with Latinos. This isn't a snipe at you William but rather at the polling companies that produce such absurd results.

Yes, I think you have to just use any numbers for RFK as a proxy for none of the above or don't know. It's the tie between Biden and Trump that is more significant.

In 2016, Hillary Clinton had a three-to-one advantage over Trump among Latino voters on the same survey:

https://www.pewresearch.org/race-and-ethnicity/2016/10/11/the-latino-vote-in-the-2016-presidential-election/
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,919
    If Jenrick wins does that mean compassionate Conservatism has returned !

“ I ordered the painting over of those welcoming cartoon murals for the refugee kids because I’m a loathsome soulless cxnt !

• EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,938
    Nunu5 said:

Well, the polling companies can't just fabricate numbers because they don't think the RFK supporters will actually end up voting that way.

That's our job.
    FAFO

Hungary facing fuel crisis as Ukraine turns up heat on Russian oil supplies
    Sky-high prices and electricity shortages could hit Hungarians within “weeks” after Kyiv imposed a partial ban on Russian oil passing through its territory.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/hungary-fuel-crisis-ukraine-sanctions-russian-oil-imports-lukoil-central-europe/

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

Three axes (at least):

Economic left-right

I'm essentially a 1,1,1

Farage is a 2,2,2
    What kind of authoritarian policies do you think he would implement if given the chance?
    Closing down a free press, defunding organisations he disagrees with (e.g. the BBC, NHS), 10k additional prisoners, cutting funding to universities deemed to have 'political bias', increasing use of Stop and Search...
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,607
    I am really enjoying swimming in Max Verstappen's salty tears this afternoon.
  • Nigelb said:

FAFO

Sky-high prices and electricity shortages could hit Hungarians within “weeks” after Kyiv imposed a partial ban on Russian oil passing through its territory.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/hungary-fuel-crisis-ukraine-sanctions-russian-oil-imports-lukoil-central-europe/

Invasion of Transcarpathia incoming
    edited July 21

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

Three axes (at least):

Economic left-right

I'm essentially a 1,1,1

Farage is a 2,2,2

I was careful to say Farage, rather than Reform. Anderson is a different kettle of fish.
    Farage, like Johnson, simply jumped on a passing horse merely because it happened to be heading in the direction he wanted to go. Whether it will finish its run at his intended destination is another matter entirely.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,130
    edited July 21

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Wasn't Hunt's an ISA ?

As a "regular" ISA user, the annual limit is only an issue when investing a lump sum (e.g. tax-free cash from a pension ), my monthly contribution does not threaten the limit.
    £20,000 is about right imo since that will mop up savings once the mortgage is paid off and the kids have left. Assuming the idea is to have people invest rather than spend their excess income on exotic holibobs and mid-life crisis sports cars.

The average mortgage repayment is £1,300 a month or £16,000-ish a year.
    https://www.finder.com/uk/mortgages/mortgage-statistics
    Only the 7th time in test history that the first 3 innings have reached 400 runs, 1st time since 2009, and 1st time in England since 1938.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_five_live_sports_extra
    edited July 21
    I've got enough photos of the day today for most of the week.

This is the best one - The King Charles III Bollard.

God Save The King !!

https://x.com/ArchdeaconLuke/status/1815004887534432767

(Archdeacon Luke is Luke Miller "Archdeacon of London, Prolocutor @Synod, Rector @bythewardrobe, Area Chaplain @SeaCadetsLondon Married to @jacquiAMiller". He'll be living round the corner from St Pauls, probably.)
    edited July 21
    Nigelb said:

FAFO

I'm surprised they have been so tolerant for two years.

Also, moves are afoot by NATO etc, spearheaded by Mr Starmer, to address the "shadow tanker fleet" which is estimated to be carrying £50bn of oil for Russia per annum. Since a lot of those use Black Sea ports, I am surprised that Ukraine has not been droning the returning empties.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-07-18/europe-agrees-new-crackdown-on-russian-oil-tanker-shadow-fleet
    MattW said:

God Save The King !!

(Archdeacon Luke is Luke Miller "Archdeacon of London, Prolocutor @Synod, Rector @bythewardrobe, Area Chaplain @SeaCadetsLondon Married to @jacquiAMiller". He'll be living round the corner from St Pauls, probably.)

I think I will get a dog and take him for its regular walk near that bollard so he can do his business.

It is my protest against the racist Albert Memorial.

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

Three axes (at least):

Economic left-right

I'm essentially a 1,1,1

Farage is a 2,2,2
    Farage is a libertarian himself but most of his supporters aren't.
    MattW said:

God Save The King !!

That photo needs a dog cocking its leg against the bollard. For scale.
    edited July 21
    MattW said:

God Save The King !!

(Archdeacon Luke is Luke Miller "Archdeacon of London, Prolocutor @Synod, Rector @bythewardrobe, Area Chaplain @SeaCadetsLondon Married to @jacquiAMiller ". He'll be living round the corner from St Pauls, probably.)

Now all we need is a BMW to test it.

And an appearance in James Bond and Dr Who.
    MattW said:

Nigelb said:

FAFO

I'm surprised they have been so tolerant for two years.

Also, moves are afoot by NATO etc, spearheaded by Mr Starmer, to address the "shadow tanker fleet" which is estimated to be carrying £50bn of oil for Russia per annum. Since a lot of those use Black Sea ports, I am surprised that Ukraine has not been droning the returning empties.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-07-18/europe-agrees-new-crackdown-on-russian-oil-tanker-shadow-fleet
    They gave them notice, and lots of time to prepare.
    Evidently Orban thought he didn’t need to.
    edited July 21
    nico679 said:

If Jenrick wins does that mean compassionate Conservatism has returned !

“ I ordered the painting over of those welcoming cartoon murals for the refugee kids because I’m a loathsome soulless cxnt !

Robert Jenrick is the thinking forgetful man's Conservative.

In his Telegraph puff piece, Jenrick waxes lyrical about his constituency home:-

He insists this is the place he regards as his home, and that he breathes “a sigh of relief” every time he gets off the train at Newark Northgate station.
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/07/20/robert-jenrick-interview-right-wing-views/

But during Covid, he fled to his Herefordshire pile, probably breaking Covid regulations on the way.

The Housing Secretary has been accused of flouting lockdown rules again after it emerged he travelled from his London residence to his 'second' home just days after urging the nation to 'stay at home'.

Robert Jenrick, who is Tory MP for Newark in Nottinghamshire, has defended escaping 150 miles from London to his £1.1million mansion in Herefordshire, where his family are staying.

The cabinet minister said he and his wife Michal Berkner - a partner at City law firm Cooley LLP - and children consider the country retreat their family home and he had moved back there after he was no longer needed in Westminster.

Mr Jenrick also owns a £2.5million townhouse less than a mile from the Houses of Parliament while also renting a £2,000-a-month property in his constituency - which he bills to the taxpayer.

His official website does not mention his Grade I listed country house at all, instead saying: "Robert is married to Michal, and together they have three young daughters.

"They live in Southwell near Newark, and in London."

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/cabinet-minister-robert-jenrick-breaks-21844275
    A bonus one I have not seen before - the McBollard.

A McDonalds bag which turns into a table when you put it on a bollard.

https://x.com/WorldBollard/status/1813607709411095015
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,677
    edited July 21
    tlg86 said:

Puff piece in the Guardian with Lewis Goodall:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jul/21/nobody-can-be-entirely-impartial-lewis-goodall-on-poverty-politics-and-the-bbc

I remember hearing [former chancellor] Ken Clarke being interviewed fairly recently. He was reflecting on Black Wednesday. And he said: well, it was obviously politically damaging, but the economic effects were very benign.” Goodall was on a run when listening. “I stopped in my tracks. It was not long after my grandad died and I was angry. I welled up. No, I thought, they weren’t benign. Thousands and thousands of people lost their homes.” Major political moments, Goodall understands, can be experienced differently.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Wednesday

By 7:00 pm that evening, Lamont announced Britain would leave the ERM and rates would remain at the new level of 12%; however, on the next day the interest rate was back to 10%.

Yes, odd piece. I’m awaiting his elevation to the sainthood based on it.

The political leanings of Robbie Gibb, or implied ones are mulled over in his spat with Goodall but the fact Goodall was a labour activist is not really dwelled upon. Appoint a Tory to a major position on the BBC howls of derision. Appoint a labour activist/former labour activist like Goodall and barely a murmur although he appears thin skinned.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/article/2024/jul/21/bbc-tory-witch-hunt-lewis-goodall-newsnight-journalist
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,760

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

Three axes (at least):

Economic left-right

I'm essentially a 1,1,1

Farage is a 2,2,2
    Closing down a free press, defunding organisations he disagrees with (e.g. the BBC, NHS), 10k additional prisoners, cutting funding to universities deemed to have 'political bias', increasing use of Stop and Search...
    Doesn't look like defunding the NHS to me.

NHS

The NHS Needs Urgent Reform
    “Patients first.
    Rapid care.
    Cutting waste -
    an NHS to be
    proud of
    again.”

NHS PLEDGES COSTS
    = £17 BILLION PA
    REFORM UK 2024 7

Despite record extra funding in
    recent years, NHS healthcare
    outcomes have declined. While
    still free at the point of delivery,
    our healthcare needs major
    reforms to improve results and
    enjoy zero waiting lists.

CRITICAL REFORMS NEEDED IN THE
    FIRST 100 DAYS:

End Doctor and Nurse Shortages

All frontline NHS and social care staff to pay zero
    basic rate tax for 3 years. This will help retain existing
    staff and attract many who have left to return. End
    training caps for all UK medical students. Write off
    student fees pro rata per year over 10 years of NHS
    service for all doctors, nurses and medical staff.

Use Independent Healthcare Capacity

We will harness independent and not-for-profit
    health provision in the UK and overseas.
    Tax Relief of 20% on all Private Healthcare
    and Insurance. This will improve care for all by relieving pressure
    on the NHS. Those who rely on the NHS will enjoy
    faster, better care. Independent healthcare capacity
    will grow rapidly, providing competition and
    reducing costs.
    Thereafter:

Put Patients in Charge With a New NHS
    Voucher Scheme

NHS Patients will receive a voucher for private
    treatment if they can’t see a GP within 3 days.
    For a consultant it would be 3 weeks. For an
    operation, 9 weeks. Services will always be free
    at the point of use.

Improve Efficiency. Cut Waste and
    Unnecessary Managers

Operating theatres must be open on weekends.
    Rotas must be planned further in advance. Nail
    down better prices using economies of scale.
    Review all NHS Private Finance Contracts for
    significant savings potential. Charge those who fail
    to attend medical appointments without notice.
    Abolish the NHS Race and Health Observatory.

Save A&E

Cut waiting times with a campaign of ‘Pharmacy
    First, GP Second, A&E Last’. We will offer tax
    incentives for new pharmacies and those who
    employ more staff to assist in relieving pressure
    on A&E.

Excess Deaths and Vaccine Harms

Public Inquiry
    Excess deaths are nearly as high as they were
    during the Covid pandemic. Young people are
    over-represented.

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,426
    There are free tickets going for the cricket tomorrow....

I would do but I have a two hour meeting with HR tomorrow in Manchester.

Link?
    edited July 21
    Nunu5 said:

Link?
    Huge queue on the website. Trent Bridge website, tickets.

Might have been better if they'd made it a token payment, such as £2.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,677

Andy_JS said:

A memorial to a Prince Albert is quite something.

Andy_JS said:

Nunu5 said:

Link?
    Huge queue on the website. Trent Bridge website, tickets.

Might have been better if they'd made it a token payment, such as £2.
    Ok thanks.

I don't think it's worth going to Nottingham.....
  • No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,395
    Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

Three axes (at least):

Economic left-right

I'm essentially a 1,1,1

Farage is a 2,2,2
    Libertarians are not anti-immigration.
    Taz said:

Andy_JS said:

A memorial to a Prince Albert is quite something.

A PUBLIC memorial to a Prince Albert!

That's the sort of thing that gets you on the nonce jotter.
    These salty tears are fucking amazing.

Inject them directly into my veins.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,024
    Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

Three axes (at least):

Economic left-right

I'm essentially a 1,1,1

Farage is a 2,2,2
    Most 'libertarians' are not libertarians either.

There are big question marks over many 'liberals' as well.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,024

Andy_JS said:

I love it. It's individual elements are so ugly they cross over when combined into being attractive again.
  • MattW said:

A bonus one I have not seen before - the McBollard.

A McDonalds bag which turns into a table when you put it on a bollard.

https://x.com/WorldBollard/status/1813607709411095015

https://youtu.be/ecsmBFUtMyc?feature=shared
    Prince Philip WAS named in top-secret FBI documents about the Profumo affair in the early 1960s
    The papers show the FBI had been told the Duke of Edinburgh was personally 'involved' with Christine Keeler and Mandy Rice-Davies, the two women at the centre of the sex scandal that brought down the government.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13655375/Prince-Philip-named-secret-FBI-documents-Profumo-affair.html

The Crown scene of Prince Philip & Sir Anthony Blunt
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaFM9F4tW2s

Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

Three axes (at least):

Economic left-right

I'm essentially a 1,1,1

Farage is a 2,2,2
    Libertarians are not anti-immigration.
    That all depends on where a person's Libertarianism fits with their position on the other two axes.
    On topic.

Iain Dale: "I wonder when she [Suella Braverman] mentioned the word cranks, whether she was actually looking in the mirror at the time."

https://x.com/GleraVista/status/1815021782954324470
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,859
    viewcode said:

DavidL said:

The Tories need to go on a HUNT for a new leader that will be listened to and vaguely coherent. This temptation to a bit of self indulgence just shows that they have not learned the lessons of a comprehensive defeat. The voters they lost to Labour and the Lib Dems cost far more seats than the votes lost to Reform.

I see what you did there... :)

He [Hunt] saw what was happening in his seat, deployed sufficient time and resources to head off the problem, and won. That's rather impressive when you think about it.
    It cost him £100,000 of his own money too, iirc. Shame - from your point of view - that all the other Tory losers were not motivated to do the same....
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,760

Prince Philip WAS named in top-secret FBI documents about the Profumo affair in the early 1960s
    The papers show the FBI had been told the Duke of Edinburgh was personally 'involved' with Christine Keeler and Mandy Rice-Davies, the two women at the centre of the sex scandal that brought down the government.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13655375/Prince-Philip-named-secret-FBI-documents-Profumo-affair.html

The Crown scene of Prince Philip & Sir Anthony Blunt
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaFM9F4tW2s

They would say that, wouldn't they?
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

Three axes (at least):

Economic left-right

I'm essentially a 1,1,1

Farage is a 2,2,2

There's very little left to be libertarian about now that gay is actually legal, and weed de facto. Barty tries it and collides with the problem that lib about one thing (say cars) implies coercive communism about others (say private land you need for road building).
    Aaron Sorkin suggests that the Democrats should nominate Mitt Romney...

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/21/opinion/biden-west-wing-aaron-sorkin.html
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,513
    TimS said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

Try redoing the data highlighting with the Liberals/Lib Dems listed (as they claim to be) as the centre and not either the left or the right.

Especially since the LDs/Liberals have often been closer to the right than the left.
    The statement “the right have never won a majority of the post war vote” would still be true.
    Indeed, but neither I believe have the left which by falsely aggregating LDs into the left the chart implies they regularly have.

Oh and by falsely aggregating them the highlighting shows red as the most popular most often when I don't believe that's the case either.
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 21

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

Three axes (at least):

Economic left-right

I'm essentially a 1,1,1

Farage is a 2,2,2

There's very little left to be libertarian about now that gay is actually legal, and weed de facto. Barty tries it and collides with the problem that lib about one thing (say cars) implies coercive communism about others (say private land you need for road building).
    You are joking. Try volunteering to do something and the state is crawling all over it with everything from health and safety to DBS checks.

You cant even make clothes then give them to a charity shop later because all sorts of rehulatory things.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,494
    a

Sorkin - surely he should be advocating a Hispanic Ex-Marine, currently serving in Congress, as the nominee?
    Lando Norris is being a bit of a twat isn't he?

No wonders he's such good mates with Max Verstappen.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,651

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

Three axes (at least):

Economic left-right

I'm essentially a 1,1,1

Farage is a 2,2,2

You are joking. Try volunteering to do something and the state is crawling all over it with everything from health and safety to DBS checks.

You cant even make clothes then give them to a charity shop later because all sorts of rehulatory things.
    hark at the sick and dangerous edgelords
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,139

Romney is too much of a fiscal conservative for the Democratic left, if he ran as an Independent though he could stop a lot of Haley voters voting for Trump by getting their support instead
    Loving Max Verstappen's engineer telling he was talking shite.
    The Dutch twat gets his just desserts.

Loving Max Verstappen's engineer telling he was talking shite.

HAHAHAHAHAHA
    This is the greatest F1 race ever.

Max Verstappen having a meltdown and his engieneer telling him to stop talking shite.
    Also loving the shitshow happening at McLaren.

Nunu5 said:

Yes, I think you have to just use any numbers for RFK as a proxy for none of the above or don't know. It's the tie between Biden and Trump that is more significant.

In 2016, Hillary Clinton had a three-to-one advantage over Trump among Latino voters on the same survey:

https://www.pewresearch.org/race-and-ethnicity/2016/10/11/the-latino-vote-in-the-2016-presidential-election/
    Will help Trump in Arizona and Nevada but Biden can still win the rustbelt swing states and Georgia even with those numbers as Hispanics are a tiny percentage of the population there
    edited July 21

He has a point, though.
    He’s faster than Piastri. But really he ought to have let him through, and then overtaken him again.

Bad management by McLaren, though.
    They should have given him the hard word right at the start.

Also, a shit way to take your first win.
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,987
    Icarus said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

I think you may have hit core membership numbers, but actually I think your core voter numbers can indeed still shrink. The Lib Dems are more likely to gain more total voters after a Parliament where they have stronger resources than ever before to out out their message. They now have resources to deploy for research that they have never had before. Unlike the Tories the Lib Dems know that no one owes them a living and their MPs are a generally impressive and highly motivated bunch.
    500,000 people die every year. 80% of them are the Tories core voters! They need to attract new voters aged 18 -24. I cannot see them managing to do that! Sell Telegraph shares!!
    Well, quite
    edited July 21
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

He's my bet at 14 - so that's performing well.

He'll run from the Right then tack to the centre if he wins, don't you think? Take a leaf from SKS?
    Possibly, I would though also expect Jenrick to try and do a deal with Farage at the next general election so the Tories don't put up a candidate or if they do only a paper one in seats where Reform were second to Labour or the LDs. That would be in return for Farage not running a Reform candidate or only a paper candidate in seats where the Tories were second to Labour or the LDs
    I would have thought that there were two different options for the Conservatives:

1. Go right, and shore up the threat from Reform. The goal being to return them to zero MPs, and therefore to be the sole right wing party in the UK.
    2. Go Central, and enter into some kind of pact with Reform.

I think the first is by far the most sensible option. The second option is absolutely fraught with danger, because there is the very real risk that Reform starts out polling you.
    Not if 2 only means the Tories standing down for Reform where Reform were second and Reform standing down for the Tories where the Tories were second
    Your plan has numerous problems including:

1) Conservative votes aren't as transferrable as you seem to think.

2) Reform votes aren't as transferrable as you seem to think

3) To get back into government the Conservatives need 300+ MPs they can rely on - Reform MPs cannot be relied upon.
    Reform MPs can be relied on more than Labour MPs they would replace to vote with the Tories though
    Can they ???

What will be the political views of any future potential Reform MP ?

Immigration frothing and some level of social conservatism seem likely but apart from that what ?

You only have to look at the mish-mash fantasies of the reform manifesto and the differences between that and what Reform voters actually want to see that they are utterly unreliable for any form of actual governance.
    The political views of any Reform MP will certainly be closer to the ERG and right of the Tories and most Tory members than a Labour MPs
    Its irrelevant.

A successful government depends on intellectual substance, hard work and a willingness to do difficult things at a cost.

And these attributes are where Reform would go missing.

To be fair to the LibDems, they were able to supply them during the coalition.
    All very well but without the votes united on the right by either pact or merger with Reform the Tories ain't getting near government again under FPTP. Post Brexit the LDs are unlikely to touch the Tories with a bargepole again for a generation
    That Cameron missed a generational chance to reshape our politics is certainly true. In an alternative universe, he didn’t break his promise to stay out of the AV referendum, didn’t use the coalition to cynically turn on his junior partner, and didn’t think that an EU referendum would be a surefire winner for remain.

More fundamentally, does it never occur to you that when your MPs got to the point where the judges, the BBC, the National Trust, parliamentary procedure, and our European neighbours and allies, were all painted as enemies, while the commonly accepted standards of expected behaviour from our national leaders were suddenly assumed to be of no consequence, were massive warning flags that - just maybe - your party had taken a wrong turn somewhere?

You may not have noticed all of this, but the decent voters of the Home Counties certainly did. And the hope will be that their new LibDem MPs will prove to be more effective defenders of small-c conservative England than has your own bunch of extremist right-wing wreckers.
    The Tories still won more South East and Home Counties MPs on July 4th than the LDs did. Just the LDs won almost all the Remain seats there and of course the Home Counties were narrowly Leave overall still in 2016 not Remain like London, just less Leave than the North, Wales and Midlands were
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

Three axes (at least):

Economic left-right

I'm essentially a 1,1,1

Farage is a 2,2,2

Edge cases, the serious battles are either lost (guns and cocaine) or won (gaiety and spliffs)

Also things have non obvious consequences. Donations to charity shops mainly cause pollution in west Africa
    Nigelb said:

He has a point, though.
    He’s faster than Piastri. But really he ought to have let him through, and then overtaken him again.

Bad management by McLaren, though.
    They should have given him the hard word right at the start.

Also, a shit way to take your first win.
    I was worried this would be the most boring F1 season but I was wrong.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163
    Cicero said:

Icarus said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Well, quite
    I will certainly never vote Conservative again until they clean out the loons like Braverman, Patel, Jenrick, etc.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,276
    edited July 21
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

He'll run from the Right then tack to the centre if he wins, don't you think? Take a leaf from SKS?
    Possibly, I would though also expect Jenrick to try and do a deal with Farage at the next general election so the Tories don't put up a candidate or if they do only a paper one in seats where Reform were second to Labour or the LDs. That would be in return for Farage not running a Reform candidate or only a paper candidate in seats where the Tories were second to Labour or the LDs
    I would have thought that there were two different options for the Conservatives:

1. Go right, and shore up the threat from Reform. The goal being to return them to zero MPs, and therefore to be the sole right wing party in the UK.

I think the first is by far the most sensible option. The second option is absolutely fraught with danger, because there is the very real risk that Reform starts out polling you.
    Not if 2 only means the Tories standing down for Reform where Reform were second and Reform standing down for the Tories where the Tories were second

3) To get back into government the Conservatives need 300+ MPs they can rely on - Reform MPs cannot be relied upon.
    Reform MPs can be relied on more than Labour MPs they would replace to vote with the Tories though
    Can they ???

Immigration frothing and some level of social conservatism seem likely but apart from that what ?

You only have to look at the mish-mash fantasies of the reform manifesto and the differences between that and what Reform voters actually want to see that they are utterly unreliable for any form of actual governance.
    The political views of any Reform MP will certainly be closer to the ERG and right of the Tories and most Tory members than a Labour MPs
    Its irrelevant.

A successful government depends on intellectual substance, hard work and a willingness to do difficult things at a cost.

All very well but without the votes united on the right by either pact or merger with Reform the Tories ain't getting near government again under FPTP. Post Brexit the LDs are unlikely to touch the Tories with a bargepole again for a generation
    That Cameron missed a generational chance to reshape our politics is certainly true. In an alternative universe, he didn’t break his promise to stay out of the AV referendum, didn’t use the coalition to cynically turn on his junior partner, and didn’t think that an EU referendum would be a surefire winner for remain.

More fundamentally, does it never occur to you that when your MPs got to the point where the judges, the BBC, the National Trust, parliamentary procedure, and our European neighbours and allies, were all painted as enemies, while the commonly accepted standards of expected behaviour from our national leaders were suddenly assumed to be of no consequence, were massive warning flags that - just maybe - your party had taken a wrong turn somewhere?

You may not have noticed all of this, but the decent voters of the Home Counties certainly did. And the hope will be that their new LibDem MPs will prove to be more effective defenders of small-c conservative England than has your own bunch of extremist right-wing wreckers.
    The Tories still won more South East and Home Counties MPs on July 4th than the LDs did. Just the LDs won all the Remain seats except Hunt's seat and of course the Home Counties were narrowly Leave overall still in 2016 not Remain like London, just less Leave than the North, Wales and Midlands were
    Labour won a plurality of seats in every single English region, though
    Can I vote Gianpiero Lambiase for driver of the day? Not sure anyone has overcome what he’s dealt with to finish in the points today 😂

https://x.com/bmet7/status/1815032760173474131
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,987

Cicero said:

Icarus said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Well, quite
    I will certainly never vote Conservative again until they clean out the loons like Braverman, Patel, Jenrick, etc.
    I think the chances are pretty high that they will not be able to reform themselves before the Lib Dems come and eat their lunch.
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 21

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

Three axes (at least):

Economic left-right

I'm essentially a 1,1,1

Farage is a 2,2,2

Edge cases, the serious battles are either lost (guns and cocaine) or won (gaiety and spliffs)

Also things have non obvious consequences. Donations to charity shops mainly cause pollution in west Africa
    And dent the profits of clothes selling multinationals who absolutely love multiple regulations.

Donations to charity shops also clothe half of west Africa.

As to the serious battles being lost and won. Wait until the government cant shift enough gilts to fund the Welfare State before saying that.

And a debate about why excess waste clothes get shipped abroad as the shoddy and mungo trade has gone would be more interesting than the ad-hom another poster responded with.
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Can they ???

Its irrelevant.

The Tories still won more South East and Home Counties MPs on July 4th than the LDs did. Just the LDs won almost all the Remain seats there and of course the Home Counties were narrowly Leave overall still in 2016 not Remain like London, just less Leave than the North, Wales and Midlands were
    Yes indeed. The recent election was a massive victory for the Conservatives.

Not!

You just cannot admit it, can you? Your party has become so extreme that a no-charisma manager like Starmer was able to beat you using a manifesto that was about as exciting as reading a loo roll.

You are part of the problem.
    edited July 21
    Hmmm. Quad bikes and AT buggies at 1am in Birmingham.

I'm really not sure what's going on, and why enforcement is impossible; the rules and guidance around tactical contact have been in place for years. Teenage hooligans out for kicks, or something more serious? I don't thin drug distributors would be seeking such attention.

(But it's amusing how the tweeter thinks that "cars" can be "terrorised".)

https://x.com/ShaunInBrum/status/1814459010470555952
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,548
    Ha. Feels like the only time I didn't tip Piastri to win, he does.

I backed that, and didn't tip due to instant buyer's remorse. Still a green weekend, though, for once.
    edited July 21
    I don't understand England tactics of having the fastest bowler in the world and not giving him the new ball. Nobody wants to face 95mph, they certainly don't want to face it cold.
    edited July 21
    MattW said:

Hmmm. Quad bikes and AT buggies at 1am in Birmingham.

I'm really not sure what's going on, and why enforcement is impossible; the rules and guidance around tactical contact have been in place for years. Teenage hooligans out for kicks, or something more serious? I don't thin drug distributors would be seeking such attention.

(But it's amusing how the tweeter thinks that "cars" can be "terrorised".)

https://x.com/ShaunInBrum/status/1814459010470555952

Its an American thing that is big on social media that clearly catching on here.
    edited July 21
    The daughter of Sir Geoffrey Boycott has Tweeted.

Thank you all for the well wishes, we’ve been blown away by the sheer number of them!

Unfortunately things have taken a turn for the worse and my Father has developed pneumonia and is unable to eat or drink so is back in hospital on oxygen and a feeding tube for the foreseeable.

https://x.com/GeoffreyBoycott/status/1815036416046375232
    edited July 21

The daughter of Sir Geoffrey Boycott has Tweeted.

Thank you all for the well wishes, we’ve been blown away by the sheer number of them!

Unfortunately things have taken a turn for the worse and my Father has developed pneumonia and is unable to eat or drink so is back in hospital on oxygen and a feeding tube for the foreseeable.

https://x.com/GeoffreyBoycott/status/1815036416046375232

That's not good news. I know he liked to dig in and doing some serious (bed) blocking at the crease, but don't that sounds very serious.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,777

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Can they ???

Its irrelevant.

Not!

You just cannot admit it, can you? Your party has become so extreme that a no-charisma manager like Starmer was able to beat you using a manifesto that was about as exciting as reading a loo roll.

It's not the extremism that was the problem. The Conservatives won in 2019 and were ahead for much of the start of the Parliament.

It was the perceived incompetence after the Truss budget. That turned normal mid-term blues into a catastrophe.
    edited July 21

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Can they ???

Its irrelevant.

Not!

Just 33% voted for Starmer, even fewer than voted for Corbyn in 2017, Blair in 2005 or Kinnock in 1992.

It was Tory votes lost to Reform that won Labour so many seats under FPTP not a massive rise in the Labour vote
  • HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Can they ???

Its irrelevant.

Not!

They are not extreme, they are believers in nothing apart from gaining and staying in power and will junk any doctrine, philosophy and people who get in the way of them doing that.

Two weeks ago it caught up with them.
    Cicero said:

Cicero said:

Icarus said:

Cicero said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Well, quite
    I think the chances are pretty high that they will not be able to reform themselves before the Lib Dems come and eat their lunch.
    The LDs got fewer votes than Reform did
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Can they ???

Its irrelevant.

OK, so if you don't want to engage brain, you and your buddies keep on attacking highly regarded British institutions, and see where it gets you....?
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,548
    For those who want some wibbling about the 2024 UK election results:
    https://medium.com/@rkilner/analysing-the-uks-2024-election-3fc186f6489e

The Greens had a vote almost as terribly inefficient as Reform.

Going by vote share, the Conservatives did as or slightly better than expected, and Labour much worse.

But vote share's irrelevant. Seats are what count.
This discussion has been closed.