Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Could one of the gruesome twosome win the Tory leadership? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,056
edited August 4 in General
Could one of the gruesome twosome win the Tory leadership? – politicalbetting.com

? Ex-home secretary faces calls to pull out of Conservative leadership race in favour of Robert JenrickRead more ?https://t.co/RtvcHbrP5N pic.twitter.com/qbCC3wUviB

Read the full story here

Comments

• Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,175
    Second like the moderate with the Tory members.
  • SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,727
    *Betting post*

England are currently 248/3.

OVER/UNDER (435.5)10/11 on Ladbrokes

I feel that England have to play extraordinary to add close to 200 runs to reach 436.

Apologies if am wrong.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,494
    FPT

"Reeves hints at above-inflation public sector pay rise"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c4ng5n0my0zo

There's no money - except for our buddies... ;)

Of course, and our taxes will go up to pay for it.
    I've got little issue with tax increases - and I now you differ on this. I'm just unsure whether this is the 'best' way of spending the extra money.
    Extra taxation on private sector workers to pay for wage hikes for public sector workers will squeeze the former but do nothing for the productivity of the latter.
    Actually it might do. At the moment, the public sector spends a lot (I mean, A LOT) on agency staff. Not just to cover absence, but to cover failures to recruit. They're expensive and even when they're good, they're new to the building so are less effective than permanent staff.

I'm not saying that improving permanent staff numbers by paying more would be cheaper than the status quo, but it's not impossible that it would be more productive.
    This.

Even the idiots at Douche Bank figured out that it is cheaper to hire a permanent employee for 10 years, rather than trying to get a contractor or a string of contractors for that time.

The fact that you don’t spend half the time retraining people and trying to work out all the stuff they knew but didn’t write down before they left, is a cherry on top.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,936
    edited July 21
    Going forth and conking out.

Randolf Churchill (ish). 'They will fight- and they will be Right'.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500
    My hopes of a first post have been dashed. Makes me feel sixth.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,543

FPT

I've got little issue with tax increases - and I now you differ on this. I'm just unsure whether this is the 'best' way of spending the extra money.
    Extra taxation on private sector workers to pay for wage hikes for public sector workers will squeeze the former but do nothing for the productivity of the latter.
    Actually it might do. At the moment, the public sector spends a lot (I mean, A LOT) on agency staff. Not just to cover absence, but to cover failures to recruit. They're expensive and even when they're good, they're new to the building so are less effective than permanent staff.

I'm not saying that improving permanent staff numbers by paying more would be cheaper than the status quo, but it's not impossible that it would be more productive.
    This.

Even the idiots at Douche Bank figured out that it is cheaper to hire a permanent employee for 10 years, rather than trying to get a contractor or a string of contractors for that time.

The fact that you don’t spend half the time retraining people and trying to work out all the stuff they knew but didn’t write down before they left, is a cherry on top.
    Worth saying that one of the reasons a lot of NHS consultants turn to Contracting is to avoid the paperwork that is imposed on permanent employees - the fix for that is to increase admin staff not better pay.

And I'm one of those contractors but my skills lie in a complex bit of software so you can't really train someone up quickly to use it. Also I want to get your system working correctly and then bugger off to the next client...
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,383
    SMukesh said:

*Betting post*

I feel that England have to play extraordinary to add close to 200 runs to reach 436.

Apologies if am wrong.

I'm afraid you are wrong: "England have to play extraordinarily..."

P. B. Pedant
    Braverman is to be avoided at all costs. I suspect anyone aligning themselves with her will regret doing so as she'll surely undermine them down the road.
    edited July 21
    FPT:
    Taz said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

eek said:

Slight problem there is that the NHS is still losing staff who are resigning and teacher training numbers for this year are at "we have a serious problem here" level
    I'm not sure you would solve that even if you paid them what train drivers get paid (it hasn't stopped widespread cancellations due to train driver shortages).
    That's not a good example as the lack of train drivers was an explicit Tory Government policy, don't recruit or train new drivers because its costs money to train them...
    although to be fair, ‘don’t recruit or train new teachers’ seems to have been the policy of the DfE for the last four years, including two botched reorganisations of teacher training.

It’s one reason why I’ll believe this figure of ‘6,500 new teachers’ when they’re actually in classrooms and not one second before.
    Be interested in your thoughts on this. . It’s quite a depressing read but seems full of Daily Mail cliches. Came across it in a twitter thread about the changes in e schooling being proposed which people seem to either think is great or will punish the majority who want to learn.

https://im1776.com/2021/12/28/we-dont-need-no-education/
    He has some points. However it reads like someone who does not know the world outside teaching very well. A kind of teaching-focused traditional British made-up self-hatred.

If you like compare with the "English rivers are full of shit" or "English privatised trains are shit" lines, whilst "look what public ownership of railways / rivers has done in Scotland", when actually the Scottish version has the same questions, but the complainer wants to have a lazy pop at "Tory Government" or find a self-justification for their demands, and the Scottish Gov has perhaps chosen not to publish information (they do that).

Point that out, like the JSO Five deserving their prison time, and there will be lots of shouting coming back, but the question not addressed.

One question I don't hear answered on education, which I hope someone here can answer, is why England is back up the PISA tables after a dip?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,139
    Jenrick was at Cambridge with Braverman and they got on, if she backs him rather than defects to Reform that suggests she thinks he will reach out to Farage voters.

At the moment the momentum is with Jenrick, he had a good interview in the Telegraph yesterday which highlighted his provincial upbringing and working class parents. He can appeal to the right of the party by promising to be tougher on immigration for example while also he was the only leadership contender who backed Sunak over Truss so can appeal to some former Sunak loyalist MPs too.

I expect the final 2 picked by MPs to be Jenrick and Tugendhat as it stands, with Jenrick then winning the membership vote to become Tory leader
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,603

SMukesh said:

*Betting post*

Apologies if am wrong.

P. B. Pedant
    It's a big opportunity for England today. We don't often beat West Indies in a Test series! That being said we will probably get to around 350. This sets a target of 300 which really should be enough for us to win assuming it stays dry into tomorrow.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,547
    Pro_Rata said:

Second like the moderate with the Tory members.

Have they actually agreed the system for the vote this time? I seem to recall the Tory Board were planning to meet to review this two candidates system.

Could make a huge difference to betting
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,235

SMukesh said:

*Betting post*

Apologies if am wrong.

P. B. Pedant
    To be even more pedantic it should be exceptionally rather than extraordinarily.

An extraordinary event being much more unlikely than an exceptional event.
  • maxhmaxh Posts: 1,062
    eek said:

FPT

This.

Worth saying that one of the reasons a lot of NHS consultants turn to Contracting is to avoid the paperwork that is imposed on permanent employees - the fix for that is to increase admin staff not better pay.

And I'm one of those contractors but my skills lie in a complex bit of software so you can't really train someone up quickly to use it. Also I want to get your system working correctly and then bugger off to the next client...
    Which sounds like a good use of contractors. Employing agency staff to cover for a failure to recruit permanent teachers (often the same staff that might have been available for permanent contracts were the conditions within teaching different), notsomuch.
    HYUFD said:

Jenrick was at Cambridge with Braverman and they got on, if she backs him rather than defects to Reform that suggests she thinks he will reach out to Farage voters.

At the moment the momentum is with Jenrick, he had a good interview in the Telegraph yesterday which highlighted his provincial upbringing and working class parents. He can appeal to the right of the party by promising to be tougher on immigration for example while also he was the only leadership contender who backed Sunak over Truss so can appeal to some former Sunak loyalist MPs too.

I expect the final 2 picked by MPs to be Jenrick and Tugendhat as it stands, with Jenrick then winning the membership vote to become Tory leader

As an under 50 middle ranking former minister Jenrick would match the profile of William Hague and Ed Miliband who became Conservative and Labour leaders respectively after their parties lost power in 1997 and 2010
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,081
    HYUFD said:

Good morning

And so ends the conservative party
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,548
    It'd probably take Labour being led by a Corbyn for me to consider voting for a Conservative Party led by a Braverman.
  • SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,727
    Blood Hunt on Laura K now. Didn`t do any meaningful interviews during the election campaign.

I wonder if he might be planning a Leadership run.
    Trump supporters wearing T shirts with 'I'm voting for the Felon' at his rally last night in Michigan

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c4ngwzd4y83o
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,466
    MattW said:

FPT:

Taz said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

eek said:

Slight problem there is that the NHS is still losing staff who are resigning and teacher training numbers for this year are at "we have a serious problem here" level
    I'm not sure you would solve that even if you paid them what train drivers get paid (it hasn't stopped widespread cancellations due to train driver shortages).
    That's not a good example as the lack of train drivers was an explicit Tory Government policy, don't recruit or train new drivers because its costs money to train them...
    although to be fair, ‘don’t recruit or train new teachers’ seems to have been the policy of the DfE for the last four years, including two botched reorganisations of teacher training.

It’s one reason why I’ll believe this figure of ‘6,500 new teachers’ when they’re actually in classrooms and not one second before.
    Be interested in your thoughts on this. . It’s quite a depressing read but seems full of Daily Mail cliches. Came across it in a twitter thread about the changes in e schooling being proposed which people seem to either think is great or will punish the majority who want to learn.

https://im1776.com/2021/12/28/we-dont-need-no-education/
    He has some points. However it reads like someone who does not know the world outside teaching very well. A kind of teaching-focused traditional British made-up self-hatred.

If you like compare with the "English rivers are full of shit" or "English privatised trains are shit" lines, whilst "look what public ownership of railways / rivers has done in Scotland", when actually the Scottish version has the same questions, but the complainer wants to have a lazy pop at "Tory Government" or find a self-justification for their demands, and the Scottish Gov has perhaps chosen not to publish information (they do that).

Point that out, like the JSO Five deserving their prison time, and there will be lots of shouting coming back, but the question not addressed.

One question I don't hear answered on education, which I hope someone here can answer, is why England is back up the PISA tables after a dip?
    A sudden shift to selecting the best, as so often in centrally imposed metrics, combined perhaps with dodgy stats, I seem to recall. This does seem to be the case.

https://schoolsweek.co.uk/pisa-2022-rise-in-maths-but-warning-over-inflated-results/

HYUFD said:

Good morning

What utter rubbish. 38% of voters voted for the Tories and Reform on July 4th, more than the 33% who voted for Labour
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

As an under 50 middle ranking former minister Jenrick would match the profile of William Hague and Ed Miliband who became Conservative and Labour leaders respectively after their parties lost power in 1997 and 2010
    Jenrick Telegraph interview

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/07/20/robert-jenrick-interview-right-wing-views/
  • eekeek Posts: 27,543
    SMukesh said:

Blood Hunt on Laura K now. Didn`t do any meaningful interviews during the election campaign.

I wonder if he might be planning a Leadership run.

He spent the election campaign trying to keep his seat - which I think he did via a piece of luck (when the water in the village was fixed on the day before the election) as much as anything else. So I can see why Hunt wasn't a major feature of the campaign.

I also question whether he wants to be leader as he will now never by PM - so it may be a question of setting the direction of the leadership...
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,891
    Dura_Ace said:

Jenrick is what you get when you order a Matt Gaetz from Temu.

Given some of the allegations against Gaetz, that might border on the libellous, even for as dodgy a politician as Jenrick.
    edited July 21
    Cicero said:

I don´t like to intrude on private grief, but the struggle for the "soul" of the Tory party seems a bit pointless when so many the membership is still hankering after Farage. The fact is that chasing after Reform is a fools errand, and will hollow out the Tory vote even more.

The Lib Dems made a breakthrough on a highly concentrated vote, to the point that several previously solid Tory seats are looking impregnably Lib Dem even at the next election, so strong are the majorities. Now the Lib Dems can fan out, and by recapturing their previous voters, they can gain even more rural and wealthier seats across the country, and that must surely be the nightmare for the Tory knights of the shires. The reality is that Reform represents a certain amount of "None of the above" rather than merely disaffected Tories. What turned off the wealthier and more educated ex-Tory voters was not just the incompetence but the hectoring and arrogant tone that so many ministers adopted, even when their policies were revealed as gimmickry and garbage.

That hectoring tone is continuing in this internal debate, and is a complete turn off. I note that Steve Baker seems to have undergone a Damascene conversion in this regard, and if the Tories are ever going to recover, they will need to recapture their reputation for civility as well as probity. The point about a stiff upper lip, is that no one knows when they have got you beaten. Unless the Tories can reset the tone of their debate, it will be a very long time before they are taken seriously ever again. Politics is moving on, and with the Lib Dems on the march, the Tories need to run to stay still, never mind make progress.

It is likely to be several leaders before the Tories return to power, so no wonder few are really listening.

The LDs got 12% on July 4th, below even Reform who got 14%.

The LDs did well by taking almost all the Tory Remain seats left in southern England and most of the Tory seats they won in 1997 and 2001 and 2005 but that is their peak.

Indeed in a few seats they won the Tory and Reform vote was bigger than the vote the new LD MP got
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Jenrick Telegraph interview

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/07/20/robert-jenrick-interview-right-wing-views/
    Bro has been on the Ozempic AND stopped wearing a tie ready for his leadership tilt. Commitment.
    edited July 21
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

What utter rubbish. 38% of voters voted for the Tories and Reform on July 4th, more than the 33% who voted for Labour
    You are deluding yourself by combining conservative with Reform voters but then you only see a right wing view closely aligning Reform and Trump
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,279
    HYUFD said:

Trump supporters wearing T shirts with 'I'm voting for the Felon' at his rally last night in Michigan

Probably just reworked from 2016 with "felon" instead of "pussy grabber".

They're a rancid crew, the Trump base.
    edited July 21

SMukesh said:

*Betting post*

Apologies if am wrong.

P. B. Pedant
    It's a big opportunity for England today. We don't often beat West Indies in a Test series! That being said we will probably get to around 350. This sets a target of 300 which really should be enough for us to win assuming it stays dry into tomorrow.
    The memory of the West Indies glorious cricket history is deep in memory but increasingly long gone.

Since 2000 the series record has been:

England 8
    West Indies 3
    Drawn 1

The West Indies haven't won a series in England since 1988.

SMukesh said:

*Betting post*

Apologies if am wrong.

P. B. Pedant
    I make it that since 2000, the results are:

England won 8 series.
    Windies won 2 series.
    One series drawn.

Did you grow up, like me, in the 1970s or 1980s, and the memories are burnt in with a blowtorch? :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wisden_Trophy_records
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,608
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

They are a basket of deplorables.
    HYUFD said:

He's my bet at 14 - so that's performing well.

He'll run from the Right then tack to the centre if he wins, don't you think? Take a leaf from SKS?
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,603
    MattW said:

SMukesh said:

*Betting post*

Apologies if am wrong.

P. B. Pedant
    I make it that since 2000, the results are:

England won 8 series.
    Windies won 2 series.
    One series drawn.

Did you grow up, like me, in the 1970s or 1980s, and the memories are burnt in with a blowtorch? :wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wisden_Trophy_records
    I didn't realise we had won so many since 2000! Absolutely re 1970s and 1980s.
  • MustaphaMondeoMustaphaMondeo Posts: 152

FPT

This.

Currently paying £3.5k per week to cover for 2x40k jobs. I see that and I wonder why we have any staff at all. I’d be agency in their shoes.

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

They are a basket of deplorables.
    You said it. Bit of 'unPC' truth-telling from HRC there.
    edited July 21
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

Time for my regular reminder that the right have never won a majority of the post-war vote:

edited July 21
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

He'll run from the Right then tack to the centre if he wins, don't you think? Take a leaf from SKS?
    Possibly, I would though also expect Jenrick to try and do a deal with Farage at the next general election so the Tories don't put up a candidate or if they do only a paper one in seats where Reform were second to Labour or the LDs. That would be in return for Farage not running a Reform candidate or only a paper candidate in seats where the Tories were second to Labour or the LDs.

He is also friends with Poilievre in Canada and would try and follow his success for Conservatives there
    https://order-order.com/2024/05/28/jenrick-in-canada-rather-than-campaigning/
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Jenrick is what you get when you order a Matt Gaetz from Temu.

Given some of the allegations against Gaetz, that might border on the libellous, even for as dodgy a politician as Jenrick.
    Matt Gaetz seems to be a little shittier than all the other MAGA Shits.

I would not like to be Mr Starmer, having to manage the relationship with the USA if Trump gets back in, with another soul-for-sale lying MAGA shit who has hardly spent time outside politics or the military one heartbeat away.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

Time for my regular reminder that the right have never won a majority of the post-war vote:

Thinking that you can add the Lib/SDP/LibDem total to Labour's is even more inaccurate to thinking that you can add the Reform vote to the Conservatives.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

In part its those that wish to claim the Reform votes as lost Tories that are the problem. Chasing populism will ensure their demise.
    edited July 21

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

Thinking that you can add the Lib/SDP/LibDem total to Labour's is even more inaccurate to thinking that you can add the Reform vote to the Conservatives.
    Indeed. It was to point out how silly HY's argument is that I pulled this together.

TBH I used to believe the line that Britain was a fundamentally conservative country whose default choice of government is centre-right but the evidence suggests it actually more centre-left.

Edit: For clarity "SDP" in these charts is the old-style 1980s SDP, not today's irrelevant parody SDP .

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

I would remind you that in 1983 a majority of Alliance voters preferred the Tories over Labour.

Plus in 2015 all Lib Dem votes were a vote to keep David Cameron as PM.
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Possibly, I would though also expect Jenrick to try and do a deal with Farage at the next general election so the Tories don't put up a candidate or if they do only a paper one in seats where Reform were second to Labour or the LDs. That would be in return for Farage not running a Reform candidate or only a paper candidate in seats where the Tories were second to Labour or the LDs.

He is also friends with Poilievre in Canada and would try and follow his success for Conservatives there
    To me that looks possible if the Tories take a Right Turn as a party, avoid civil war, don't split in any meaningful measure, and Nigel plays ball.

On the other side, it would be determined quite heavily by 1 - Does this Government succeed and 2 - How well Lib Dems dig in in their constituencies across the South.
    What the eff? A Cambridge educated lawyer banging on about his working class roots? People with class do not talk about class.

Jenrick is also attempting to broaden his appeal, having this weekend talked openly about his upbringing and his parents’ working-class backgrounds.

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/politics/article/tories-know-why-they-lost-but-who-will-pull-them-from-the-dustbin-3fbg6z5dj
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,677
    Interesting piece from Sonia Sodha on the Just Stop Oil sentences this week to,which there have been some rather hysterical responses.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/jul/21/yes-five-years-in-jail-is-too-harsh-but-the-just-stop-oil-five-shouldnt-have-done-it

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

I would remind you that in 1983 a majority of Alliance voters preferred the Tories over Labour.

If the LDs were positioned politically where the old Liberals used to be they could very well be in government now.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,514

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

Try redoing the data highlighting with the Liberals/Lib Dems listed (as they claim to be) as the centre and not either the left or the right.

Especially since the LDs/Liberals have often been closer to the right than the left.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

And if you go further back then LibDems were often only elected in the 1950s with Conservative support:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bolton_West_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Elections_in_the_1950s
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huddersfield_West_(UK_Parliament_constituency)#Elections_in_the_1950s
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,170

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

Try redoing the data highlighting with the Liberals/Lib Dems listed (as they claim to be) as the centre and not either the left or the right.

Especially since the LDs/Liberals have often been closer to the right than the left.
    The statement “the right have never won a majority of the post war vote” would still be true.
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Possibly, I would though also expect Jenrick to try and do a deal with Farage at the next general election so the Tories don't put up a candidate or if they do only a paper one in seats where Reform were second to Labour or the LDs. That would be in return for Farage not running a Reform candidate or only a paper candidate in seats where the Tories were second to Labour or the LDs
    As Keir Starmer looks on to another 5 years

Starmer has had an excellent start and it seems, as he looks over the wreckage of the conservative party, he intends taking the best bits ( and there are some) and adopting them going forward thereby delivering a devastating coup d'etat on any thoughts the conservatives may have of winning again in 2029

Conservatives underestimating Starmer do so at their peril and moving to the right might be their only remaining space, but as in the left, is the road to the political wilderness

If in doubt - witness Jeremy Corbyn

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

Indeed. It was to point out how silly HY's argument is that I pulled this together.

TBH I used to believe the line that Britain was a fundamentally conservative country whose default choice of government is centre-right but the evidence suggests it actually more centre-left.

Edit: For clarity "SDP" in these charts is the old-style 1980s SDP, not today's irrelevant parody SDP .
    All countries are centrist.

Its just that the centre moves, followed by the main parties.
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 21
    Taz said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

You also need to remember that both of those jobs are rather less flexible than most equivalent office jobs. You have to be at school between 8 and 4 (sometimes later) if you are a teacher. You have to be on the wards if you are a doctor. Meanwhile hybrid working elsewhere is becoming increasingly normal. Reduced travel time and expenses might add between 6 and 7% to value of salary for such jobs.
    (Does a quick check on the daily cost and time of my commute) yes, that's pretty plausible. And that's before you factor in the value people put on a bit of flexibility.

Office jobs in schools used to get away with paying less because school hours/term time was gold-standard family friendliness. The rise of hybrid work has blown that out of the water.
    Yes Teaching. Doctoring and Nursing is a blue collar job like train driving working on the front line, that is treated as a profession.

Although if you saw the dickensian way junior doctors and teachers are treated you would have your doub'ts on the profession bit.
    How are they treated ? What makes it Dickensian ? They are professions of which I know little. So I don’t really opine on them.
    Junior Doctors. Little better than dogs. The medical profession is incredibly heirachical. I had a girlfriend who was a junior doctor and was quite shocked at the hours expected to work and attitude if you were ill (expected basically to carry on) and general confrontational attitude to staff that was like a 1970s car factory.

Teaching. More of a lottery. Working in a school is in some regards like working for a small business. In the latter, so much depends on the personality of the owner, in the former the personality of the headteacher. Plus a school will go on a lot longer than a small business when said person is incompetent (lot of family and friends in the profession).
  • MustaphaMondeoMustaphaMondeo Posts: 152
    If the Conservatives want to be relevant again, rather than aimless losers they need a set of principles.

Reform are proper dumb, they have cornered the unthinking and viscerally reactive voters that propped up the Tories for decades. Though I accept that their haters also came from Labour ranks too.

Principles. It’s gonna be difficult. Cruelty is not a winner. As proven by SKS vs Braverman.

The Telegraph may call it soul. I’d say that has already been sold. Time to forge another, based on doing something worthwhile.

• OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,063
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning one and all!

I was always under the impression that the Conservative Party, as the main supporter of FPTP, was opposed to deals with other parties, although in the 40’s and 50’s there were a couple of deals in Northern industrial-ish seats to keep Labour at bay.
    It’s clear though that over the last few years traditional party loyalties have changed, or perhaps reset, as they did around 100 years ago.
    I would like to see a move towards some form of proportional representation, perhaps starting with the multi-member wards in local government.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,251
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Possibly, I would though also expect Jenrick to try and do a deal with Farage at the next general election so the Tories don't put up a candidate or if they do only a paper one in seats where Reform were second to Labour or the LDs. That would be in return for Farage not running a Reform candidate or only a paper candidate in seats where the Tories were second to Labour or the LDs
    I would have thought that there were two different options for the Conservatives:

1. Go right, and shore up the threat from Reform. The goal being to return them to zero MPs, and therefore to be the sole right wing party in the UK.
    2. Go Central, and enter into some kind of pact with Reform.

I think the first is by far the most sensible option. The second option is absolutely fraught with danger, because there is the very real risk that Reform starts out polling you.
    BYD’s Americas head said that BYD plans to build a factory in Mexico but stresses that this is for the Mexican market and not for export to the US.

She said the US market is too complicated, including the politics, whereas in China if you don’t go electric, “you have no future.”

https://x.com/kyleichan/status/1814761756062806173
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,251
    Nigelb said:

BYD’s Americas head said that BYD plans to build a factory in Mexico but stresses that this is for the Mexican market and not for export to the US.

She said the US market is too complicated, including the politics, whereas in China if you don’t go electric, “you have no future.”

BP is forecasting that total oil demand peaks next year, and then declines.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,524
    Omnium said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

If the LDs were positioned politically where the old Liberals used to be they could very well be in government now.
    Much as I wish that were true it was never a prospect under FPTP (except in coalition)
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,853
    HYUFD said:

Do you approve of Jenrick’s actions in the Desmond situation?

"We’ve made it way too complicated. It’s super simple: these are very rich men who have decided to back the Republican Party that tends to do good things for very rich men,”
    Pete Buttigieg

Trump: Elon Musk gives me $45 million a month. We have to make life good for people like him

• StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,853
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Neither of whom was overwhelmingly successful

• DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,130

What the eff? A Cambridge educated lawyer banging on about his working class roots? People with class do not talk about class.

Jenrick is also attempting to broaden his appeal, having this weekend talked openly about his upbringing and his parents’ working-class backgrounds.

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/politics/article/tories-know-why-they-lost-but-who-will-pull-them-from-the-dustbin-3fbg6z5dj

Over in America, a lawyer who grew up poor just landed the VP slot with The Donald. This might explain Jenrick's tactic.
  • Inteesting. Philip Reeve who wrote the novel Mortal Engines is a Monty Python fan. Here is an article he wrote about Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

I wonder where he got the Mortal Engines idea from. Perhaps he was reflecting on the meaning of life?

https://philipreeveblog.blogspot.com/2021/12/monty-python-and-holy-grail.html?m=1

Taz said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

You also need to remember that both of those jobs are rather less flexible than most equivalent office jobs. You have to be at school between 8 and 4 (sometimes later) if you are a teacher. You have to be on the wards if you are a doctor. Meanwhile hybrid working elsewhere is becoming increasingly normal. Reduced travel time and expenses might add between 6 and 7% to value of salary for such jobs.
    (Does a quick check on the daily cost and time of my commute) yes, that's pretty plausible. And that's before you factor in the value people put on a bit of flexibility.

Office jobs in schools used to get away with paying less because school hours/term time was gold-standard family friendliness. The rise of hybrid work has blown that out of the water.
    Yes Teaching. Doctoring and Nursing is a blue collar job like train driving working on the front line, that is treated as a profession.

Although if you saw the dickensian way junior doctors and teachers are treated you would have your doub'ts on the profession bit.
    How are they treated ? What makes it Dickensian ? They are professions of which I know little. So I don’t really opine on them.
    Junior Doctors. Little better than dogs. The medical profession is incredibly heirachical. I had a girlfriend who was a junior doctor and was quite shocked at the hours expected to work and attitude if you were ill (expected basically to carry on) and general confrontational attitude to staff that was like a 1970s car factory.

Teaching. More of a lottery. Working in a school is in some regards like working for a small business. In the latter, so much depends on the personality of the owner, in the former the personality of the headteacher. Plus a school will go on a lot longer than a small business when said person is incompetent (lot of family and friends in the profession).
    At what date was the Junior Doctor your girlfriend, out of interest?
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

A credible forecast.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,391

Over in America, a lawyer who grew up poor just landed the VP slot with The Donald. This might explain Jenrick's tactic.
    He's running for deputy leader ?
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

I appreciate this is you hypothesising @HYUFD and you may well be right, although I can't see tacking to the centre and also doing a deal with Reform can work. They seem mutually exclusive.

If the Tories move to the right, which I fully expect them to do (although as with both Labour [to the left] and Conservatives [to the right] they normally correct themselves in time), they will solidify the LD base all over the South and South West and fill in most of the remaining blue with yellow in these areas.

I never understand why both the right of the Tories and the left of Labour always think they lost because they weren't left wing or right wing enough. It is weird (again I know that isn't necessarily your view @hyufd)
  • rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

I would have thought that there were two different options for the Conservatives:

1. Go right, and shore up the threat from Reform. The goal being to return them to zero MPs, and therefore to be the sole right wing party in the UK.

I think the first is by far the most sensible option. The second option is absolutely fraught with danger, because there is the very real risk that Reform starts out polling you.
    Do you mean enter into some pact with the Libdems?

The danger with (1) is that you become a poundshop Reform and people (especially in currently Labour held marginal seats) prefer the real Fargle.

The danger with (2) is that you become a poundshop Liberal Party and people prefer the Libdems. Especially as the latter won't be troubled by the compromises of office any time soon,

The election went perfectly for Farage. He got his senior officers in getting a toehold. If he had 30 MPs all sorts of unsuitable paper candidate crazies would have got in and strangled them at birth. Labour having a big majority (mainly Farages doing) means no election any time soon. So he has four years to build and professionalise the party, then capitalise on Labours regulating instincts stopping them turning things round. If he succeeds the Tories are done for. It is of course a very big "if".
  • Scott_xP said:

You finished your rather long shifts removing blue screens of death one by one.

Trellix must be very happy right now.
  • MattW said:

Taz said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

At what date was the Junior Doctor your girlfriend, out of interest?
    Mid 90s. Hopefully things have improved a bit.
    Amazed me that you had some of the brightest young people in the country who had given up 7 years of their youth to a fearsome training course and they were treated the way a 1970s station master treated station porters (on both sides of the atlantic).
    Joe Biden speaking publicly through the years — from 1979 to 2024
    https://x.com/ydeigin/status/1814796628123152569/

If Biden stays in, variations in this will be every GOP campaign ad.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,528
    edited July 21

Is the adjective Vanceian a thing yet, and has Jenrick taken to wearing eye liner?
    edited July 21

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

The danger with (1) is that you become a poundshop Reform and people (especially in currently Labour held marginal seats) prefer the real Fargle.

The danger with (2) is that you become a poundshop Liberal Party and people prefer the Libdems. Especially as the latter won't be troubled by the compromises of office any time soon,

The election went perfectly for Farage. He got his senior officers in getting a toehold. If he had 30 MPs all sorts of unsuitable paper candidate crazies would have got in and strangled them at birth. Labour having a big majority (mainly Farages doing) means no election any time soon. So he has four years to build and professionalise the party, then capitalise on Labours regulating instincts stopping them turning things round. If he succeeds the Tories are done for. It is of course a very big "if".
    I agree with a lot of that in particular Reform not getting 30 MPs. if they had it would have been a nightmare for them with all sorts of inappropriate behaviour and splits. Keep it professional with the key players.

However I can't see them professionalising the party. They don't have grassroots, they don't have campaigning infrastructure and I just can't see them getting it. of course I might be completely wrong. Just because they don't have it now, it doesn't mean they can't create it, but there is very little evidence of that happening.

One thing I am pretty confident of predicting: I will be very surprised if Clacton sees very much of Nigel Farage.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,130
    Nigelb said:

The same was tried, in more half-hearted fashion, with GW Bush, whose speech had declined markedly since his Texas days. He completed two terms in the White House.
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 21
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Because no one wants it or because the easy finds are starting to decline and the cost will get high enough to put people off?

As I understand it, US in particular will soon have production falling fast as the Permian declines (shale exhausts quite fast) and I have seen it posited by insiders that Saudi's periodic production cuts in recent years are more about allowing depleted fields to "rest" before increasing production again than politics
    edited July 21
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Peak! Oil!

Ha!

For those who don’t remember, Peak Oil was a scare thing about the world being about to run out of oil, next week.

rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

Because no one wants it or because the easy finds are starting to decline and the cost will get high enough to put people off?

As I understand it, US in particular will soon have production falling fast as the Permian declines (shale exhausts quite fast) and I have seen it posited by insiders that Saudi's periodic production cuts in recent years are more about allowing depleted fields to "rest" before increasing production again than politics
    Demand per person is falling faster than population growth. Mostly efficiency at the moment, but electrification is bringing to bite into demand.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,364

HYUFD said:

Good morning

Labour will be absolutely delighted if the Dulux man wins.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

All countries are centrist.

Its just that the centre moves, followed by the main parties.
    “There go the people. I am their leader, so I must follow them.”
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,987
    HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

I don´t like to intrude on private grief, but the struggle for the "soul" of the Tory party seems a bit pointless when so many the membership is still hankering after Farage. The fact is that chasing after Reform is a fools errand, and will hollow out the Tory vote even more.

The Lib Dems made a breakthrough on a highly concentrated vote, to the point that several previously solid Tory seats are looking impregnably Lib Dem even at the next election, so strong are the majorities. Now the Lib Dems can fan out, and by recapturing their previous voters, they can gain even more rural and wealthier seats across the country, and that must surely be the nightmare for the Tory knights of the shires. The reality is that Reform represents a certain amount of "None of the above" rather than merely disaffected Tories. What turned off the wealthier and more educated ex-Tory voters was not just the incompetence but the hectoring and arrogant tone that so many ministers adopted, even when their policies were revealed as gimmickry and garbage.

That hectoring tone is continuing in this internal debate, and is a complete turn off. I note that Steve Baker seems to have undergone a Damascene conversion in this regard, and if the Tories are ever going to recover, they will need to recapture their reputation for civility as well as probity. The point about a stiff upper lip, is that no one knows when they have got you beaten. Unless the Tories can reset the tone of their debate, it will be a very long time before they are taken seriously ever again. Politics is moving on, and with the Lib Dems on the march, the Tories need to run to stay still, never mind make progress.

It is likely to be several leaders before the Tories return to power, so no wonder few are really listening.

The LDs got 12% on July 4th, below even Reform who got 14%.

The LDs did well by taking almost all the Tory Remain seats left in southern England and most of the Tory seats they won in 1997 and 2001 and 2005 but that is their peak.

Indeed in a few seats they won the Tory and Reform vote was bigger than the vote the new LD MP got
    Only a very few, and next time the Lib Dems have incumbent advantage. By all means go down the Reform rabbit hole. After the last few years, I certainly don't think the Tories deserve to survive, let alone prosper.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,873

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Good morning

That explains why the LD vote collapsed in 2015.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,544
    edited July 21

Nigelb said:

The same was tried, in more half-hearted fashion, with GW Bush, whose speech had declined markedly since his Texas days. He completed two terms in the White House.
    There is no comparison between the situation with GWB (58 at the start of his second term) and Biden.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,426
    I thought that story sounded very fishy...

@bbcnews deliberately held back truth about dog attack story - whitewashing a family of terrorists and then butchering an IDF statement to make sure YOU never got to hear about it.

https://x.com/mishtal/status/1814930617080881243
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,544
    edited July 21
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

I appreciate this is you hypothesising @HYUFD and you may well be right, although I can't see tacking to the centre and also doing a deal with Reform can work. They seem mutually exclusive.

If the Tories move to the right, which I fully expect them to do (although as with both Labour [to the left] and Conservatives [to the right] they normally correct themselves in time), they will solidify the LD base all over the South and South West and fill in most of the remaining blue with yellow in these areas.

I never understand why both the right of the Tories and the left of Labour always think they lost because they weren't left wing or right wing enough. It is weird (again I know that isn't necessarily your view @hyufd)
    The Tories lost mainly because they were incompetent, of course. The problem is that competency is hard to demonstrate in opposition when it is still the same faces in charge.

Tacking to the centre doesn’t automatically win them LD seats back. Fishing in the same pool of centrist voters at this stage as Labour and the LDs is, in my mind, as risky if not more so than tacking to the right. They might be better off strategically shoring up their right flank in this Parliament. There is no easy fix.
    edited July 21

Nigelb said:

There is no comparison between the situation with GWB (58 at the start of his second term) and Biden.
    The anti-GWB thing was that he was stupid and inarticulate, not mentally in a decline.

I still remember the hilariously handbrake turn on Presidential fitness - with GWB, it was apparently a terrible thing that the President wasted so much time on exercise. Obama on the other hand….

Nigelb said:

The anti-GWB thing was that he was stupid and inarticulate, not mentally in a decline.
    Given the test of time, and the shit show of Trump and Biden, he ain't looking so stupid and inarticulate now...
    kjh said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

I agree with a lot of that in particular Reform not getting 30 MPs. if they had it would have been a nightmare for them with all sorts of inappropriate behaviour and splits. Keep it professional with the key players.

However I can't see them professionalising the party. They don't have grassroots, they don't have campaigning infrastructure and I just can't see them getting it. of course I might be completely wrong. Just because they don't have it now, it doesn't mean they can't create it, but there is very little evidence of that happening.

One thing I am pretty confident of predicting: I will be very surprised if Clacton sees very much of Nigel Farage.
    Farage is already bored with being an MP.

In many ways he is the opposite of Lee Anderson.
  • agingjb2agingjb2 Posts: 110
    I never vote Tory (or Labour) so I should be indifferent to the Tory leadership.

As it happens we still have a Tory MP and perhaps I would prefer that MP to be leader, for an imagined advantage to the constituency.

But my MP (for Romsey and Southampton North) is not in the running. So I will continue in my indifference.

Nigelb said:

Given the test of time, and the shit show of Trump and Biden, he ain't looking so stupid and inarticulate now...
    More that Trump has lowered the bar for bad presidents.

Since leaving office GWB has improved his image. The extremely gracious handover to Obama started that - the families became friends as a result of it.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,276

Nigelb said:

I still remember the hilariously handbrake turn on Presidential fitness - with GWB, it was apparently a terrible thing that the President wasted so much time on exercise. Obama on the other hand….
    The irony re GWB, and indeed Bill Clinton, is that they are both younger than Trump. Let alone Boden.

Nigelb said:

More that Trump has lowered the bar for bad presidents.

Since leaving office GWB has improved his image. The extremely gracious handover to Obama started that - the families became friends as a result of it.
    All previous candidates are looking a lot better. They said McCain was far too old and out of it. I watched those debates versus Obama, in comparison to Biden freezing and then them bickering over their golf handicaps, the McCain vs Obama debates look stellar conversations between two heavyweights.
    edited July 21
    Taz said:

Interesting piece from Sonia Sodha on the Just Stop Oil sentences this week to,which there have been some rather hysterical responses.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/jul/21/yes-five-years-in-jail-is-too-harsh-but-the-just-stop-oil-five-shouldnt-have-done-it

That's a really interesting, reasoned piece - engaging with the Judge's sentencing remarks rather than trying to dismiss them.

I have usually assessed Sonia Sodha as being slightly loopy in the Georges Monbiot sense - that is highlighting generally good causes but twisting the means of achieving them through self-importance / lack of respect for others.

In recent years I've seen her being more sensible on some R4 programmes; I'll read her more often.
    agingjb2 said:

I never vote Tory (or Labour) so I should be indifferent to the Tory leadership.

As it happens we still have a Tory MP and perhaps I would prefer that MP to be leader, for an imagined advantage to the constituency.

But my MP (for Romsey and Southampton North) is not in the running. So I will continue in my indifference.

I predict you will have a LD MP soon. She is my tip for defection to the LDs if the Tory party moves to the right.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,348
    SMukesh said:

*Betting post*

Apologies if am wrong.

I agree, because if they even get close to that they will be going gangbusters to get a declaration in. Its what they do and damn entertaining cricket it is.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,776
    kjh said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Labour will need to make a decision regarding places like Clacton, Skegness and Great Yarmouth. They will need to decide whether to try to improve them, and risk Reform taking the credit, or continue to ignore them, and further alienate their voters.
    edited July 21
    MattW said:

Taz said:

That's a really interesting, reasoned piece - engaging with the Judge's sentencing remarks rather than trying to dismiss them.

I have usually assessed Sonia Sodha as being slightly loopy in the Georges Monbiot sense - that is highlighting generally good causes but twisting the means of achieving them through self-importance / lack of respect for others.

In recent years I've seen her being more sensible on some R4 programmes; I'll read her more often.
    What hardly anybody in the media is mentioning is all these people have been found guilty in the past, some have even been been to prison before. The courts have tried suspended sentences, community sentences, banning orders etc, they are now repeat offenders and their stunts have got bigger and bigger.

Any other criminal, if they kept turning up in court with the same or worsening offensives, told by a judge suspended sentence or community service, don't want to see you again, and there are they again in a few months, after the 3-4-5th time are going to prison.
This discussion has been closed.