Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Shots fired at Trump – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,497
    Good morning, everyone.

Quite the news to see first thing.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,372
    The BBC disinformation correspondent has spoken. Well worth the license fee.

https://x.com/mariannaspring/status/1812267214336094515?s=61
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,211
    Sandpit said:

Oh sh!t, that was not the news to wake up to.

Come on America, let’s do democracy at the ballot box, not with lawyers and guns.

January 6th says 'Hi!'

I'm glad Trump survived; but not surprised. The devil takes care of his own, after all.

As for gut reactions to the politics: it makes a Trump win much more likely, but not a certainty. I think it makes it harder for the Dems to replace Biden, and harder for Biden to step down. And it makes any Trump presidency much more vindictive and nasty - and many will be cheering him along.

It's not a time to be a minority in the USA.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,221
    Leon said:

I imagine most of PB does not follow Trumpite Twitter. I do. I also follow left wing American Twitter at equal weight. So you get both sides. That’s how to use Twitter, unless you are a fucking sheep

That says absolutely nothing about the quality of what you follow.
    Judging by your posts, a great deal of it is pretty shitty.

And Twitter, in any event, is unrepresentative of the outside world. It's a very useful source for news, and a pretty abysmal one for political opinion.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 79,961
    The FBI says it is unable release the name of the man who is suspected of shooting Trump at this time.

They say the man has been “tentatively identified” but that DNA and biometrics tests must be done to conclusively confirm his identity.

“We are not prepared at this time to release the identity of the potential shooter. We are in the process of doing the confirmation. Once we get the confirmation we will release the name officially to the press,” FBI special agent Kevin Rojek said.

“It’s a matter of doing biometric confirmations. There was no identification on the individual. We are looking at photographs right now. We are trying to run his DNA and get biometric confirmation."

The FBI also could not immediately ascertain what type of firearm was used and how many shots were fired.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,221

Its slightly weird how the media are avoiding the use of assassination attempt. Rather saying things like "shooting at Trump rally".

Wolf Blitzer on CNN called it an assassination attempt.
    Much of the media is cautious about labelling stuff until they know the facts - see the 'pellet gun' nonsense from earlier to understand why.

The FBI are now calling it an assassination attempt.
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I imagine most of PB does not follow Trumpite Twitter. I do. I also follow left wing American Twitter at equal weight. So you get both sides. That’s how to use Twitter, unless you are a fucking sheep

And Twitter, in any event, is unrepresentative of the outside world. It's a very useful source for news, and a pretty abysmal one for political opinion.
    Twitter has a very, very low signal-to-noise ratio in any controversial topic. There are insightful debates and analysis on any topic, but they get drowned out with the incredibly partisan rubbish that says nothing, but riles the 'right' people up. And that's without the problem of bots (which oddly enough, Musky Baby has not fixed).

It's very easy to get sucked down a rabbit hole where you *think* you are looking at both sides, but are really only seeing different arguments on one side. Even for people with legendary 'high' IQs.... ;)
    edited July 14
    Nigelb said:

Its slightly weird how the media are avoiding the use of assassination attempt. Rather saying things like "shooting at Trump rally".

Wolf Blitzer on CNN called it an assassination attempt.
    Much of the media is cautious about labelling stuff until they know the facts - see the 'pellet gun' nonsense from earlier to understand why.

The FBI are now calling it an assassination attempt.
    Except the US really aren't cautious. They were speculating all sorts of things about reasons why he was shot, what weapons, was Trump really shot at all, etc.
  • As expected. He was hardly going to issue a statement saying "Damn - missed"
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,078
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

It's also pointless: Trump Twitter is 5% of the US, and Left Wing Twitter another 5%. The idea that you can somehow guage the mood of the nation based on some loonies is... insane.

The FBI says it is unable release the name of the man who is suspected of shooting Trump at this time.

They say the man has been “tentatively identified” but that DNA and biometrics tests must be done to conclusively confirm his identity.

“We are not prepared at this time to release the identity of the potential shooter. We are in the process of doing the confirmation. Once we get the confirmation we will release the name officially to the press,” FBI special agent Kevin Rojek said.

“It’s a matter of doing biometric confirmations. There was no identification on the individual. We are looking at photographs right now. We are trying to run his DNA and get biometric confirmation."

The FBI also could not immediately ascertain what type of firearm was used and how many shots were fired.

The NY Post reporting his name.

https://x.com/collinrugg/status/1812349524465303969?s=61
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 52,980
    Well hopefully this is the incident that causes everyone in the US to tone down the rhetoric somewhat. Even now there’s some terrible words being spoken online, they all need to take a step back and realise that we end up with an actual civil war if people can’t keep their language in check.

One photographer actually managed to get a photo of the bullet that hit Trump. It’s fair to say that the outcome could very easily have been different today.

https://x.com/tpostmillennial/status/1812290278168105036

As expected. He was hardly going to issue a statement saying "Damn - missed"
    Why would he given it’s his Vice President after all !!
  • Thanks to all the overnight posters. I had gone to bed shortly before this kicked off and the overnight posts were a concise (and at times entertaining) summary of events that will spare me wasting time reading a lot of hyperbolic crap elsewhere.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,995
    Reports are that the shooter was Thomas Crooks. Reports that he was a registered Republican and others saying he had donated to the Biden campaign.
    I know presidents have been assassinated in the past, but is this the first serious (and nearly successful) assassination attempt on an ex-president, or on a presidential candidate?
    I’m not quite I’m sure I agree this picture wins the Trumpdozer the election but this picture will certainly be symbolic and historic.

https://x.com/tvkev/status/1812268479049027607?s=61
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,644
    It's a pity he didn't get slotted because just imagine the sheer chaos of the imminent Republican convention - which would now be brokered. Every right wing fuckpiece with a pulse would ripping their rivals limb from limb for a chance to the be the candidate. Five star entertainment.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,463

I know presidents have been assassinated in the past, but is this the first serious (and nearly successful) assassination attempt on an ex-president, or on a presidential candidate?

RFK was a strong contender for the 1968 Dem candidate.

Thanks to all the overnight posters. I had gone to bed shortly before this kicked off and the overnight posts were a concise (and at times entertaining) summary of events that will spare me wasting time reading a lot of hyperbolic crap elsewhere.

I guess Leon did bail out comparatively early.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,897

Leon said:

Leon said:

They’ve tried to bankrupt him. Ok fine. They’ve tried to bend the law to put him in jail. Ok but hmmm really weird. Now they’ve tried to kill him but failed

So, fuck it, vote Trump. The other lot are WORSE

Don't be silly. Trump is America's Mussolini. He is not the answer. Biden is utterly incapable of being President. Now. But Trump is also incapable, and arguing him vs Biden ignores his endless lunacy.
    I think the democrats are now a worse choice. Willing to jail and murder people, and conspire to hide a mad President then foist him on the voters AGAIN

VOTE TRUMP
    "willing to jail and murder people" is Project 2025 sir. Trump would be the end of the west. It can't be Biden either.
    Leon is one step away from literally becoming a Qanon supporter, right? Can we still save him?
    that horse bolted long ago
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,644

George Wallace also caught four rounds, but survived, while campaigning to be the Dem candidate in 1972.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,772
    edited July 14
    I've been having a look at some of the hot takes, videos on twitter and Reddit. A summary:

1) The SS snipers were looking at the guy and didn't shoot. I'm not sure - I think they are looking in a different direction and then pivot round to the right when the shots start.

2) I think the snipers take a single shot after 6 by the shooter.

3) I reckon it will be a local gun nut (young, mental health issues, perhaps incel type) who took an opportunity. No real politics behind it, but rumours registered Republican.

4) SS chief will have to resign. Crazy he was allowed up onto that roof and the SS didn't have eyes on it.

5) The main conspiracy will be around SCOTUS' "Official Act"

6) This tweet from Biden on assault rifles was beautifully timed: https://x.com/JoeBiden/status/1812166350049026070?t=2VaDK9gNahunONtRZzMiuw&s=19

7) Biden response pretty solid and cogent. More evidence that whatever he has is intermittent.

8) the flag/fist photo is one of the greatest in American history
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,494

A named 20-y-o from PA, according to the BBC
    edited July 14
    One for photo geeks. Analysis of why the image that’s going around the world at the moment, is as good as it is.

https://x.com/dvdaltizer/status/1812294212840280325

Congratulations to photographer Evan Vucci, who ran towards the stage as the shots rang out. He’s a PA photog based in Washington, and follows all the politicians around.
    Dura_Ace said:

George Wallace also caught four rounds, but survived, while campaigning to be the Dem candidate in 1972.
    I did see a tweet which I now can't find, gist of which was:

This is a shocking new development in US politics!!!

Apart from the 4 US presidents who were assassinated, the 2 wounded, the numerous assassination attempts and plots on presidents and the presidential candidates killed or wounded.
    edited July 14
    tlg86 said:

Reports are that the shooter was Thomas Crooks. Reports that he was a registered Republican and others saying he had donated to the Biden campaign.

Twitter is full of absolute stuff that is all over the place e.g. some bloke recording a video of himself pretending to be the shoot have gone viral. I am giving it a wide breath.
    IanB2 said:

A named 20-y-o from PA, according to the BBC
    The press appear to all have a name for him, but it’s unstandable that the police want to be absolutely sure before saying anything.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,461

Theodore Roosevelt was shot in the chest in 1912.

tlg86 said:

Twitter is full of absolute stuff that is all over the place e.g. some bloke recording a video of himself pretending to be the shoot have gone viral. I am giving it a wide breath.
    Sky have reported that he was a Republican. The donation to Biden is something I've only seen on Twitter.
    Our government will be gutted to is Sunday. Perfect day to bury bad news.
    Initial pointers seem to suggest the shooter was a non-MAGA Republican.

Early days though.

And no, it wouldn’t altogether surprise me if Trump’s campaign had set it up. But it seems unlikely.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,687
    ydoethur said:

Early days though.

And no, it wouldn’t altogether surprise me if Trump’s campaign had set it up. But it seems unlikely.

Trump has never struck me as the martyr type.
    edited July 14
    ydoethur said:

Early days though.

Aren't non-MAGA republican all about 80 years old* and have seen what sensible republican president can be, which means they aren't very keen on Trump antics.

* a bit of hyperbole, but older wiser heads, often comfortably off / retired. So his shtick of Vvvvvchina stealing all your jobs doesn't quite work for them.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,476
    I think, like many, this makes a Trump win more likely. I also think it moves the story on from Biden and gives him a good way of avoiding dropping out - no time for more uncertainty, change etc.

I don't want either of these results. But I have to call it as I see it.

I am glad it was not more serious and hope Trump recovers well.

Like others I would like to see Trump defeated at the ballot box.

tlg86 said:

Thankfully Leon is smashed, or asleep, or both, right now. The depths to which he can drag this site we will find out later.
    edited July 14
    IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

Thankfully Leon is smashed, or asleep, or both, right now. The depths to which he can drag this site we will find out later.
    You have mentioned the name that should not be named, now the genie will rise from the bottle.
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Early days though.

And he wasn’t seriously hurt.

He won’t have set it up himself anyway, even if it was a setup, given he’s so gaga now.

But I think it unlikely. More likely it was a lone desperado with a gun.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,741

Biden declines to call it an assassination attempt.

https://x.com/techno_fog/status/1812282103028973822

It is very strange this reluctance to use that term.

It was a mostly peaceful rally....
    Because until you know the motive, “assassination” is a loaded term. You don’t want to colour the assessment of the crime with false terminology

Dura_Ace said:

Apart from the 4 US presidents who were assassinated, the 2 wounded, the numerous assassination attempts and plots on presidents and the presidential candidates killed or wounded.
    I'm slightly bemused by a plaque on the wall in my local town that proclaims that the assassin of Spencer Perceval was born nearby.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Bellingham
    https://st-neots.ccan.co.uk/content/catalogue_item/historical-plaque-on-cross-house-in-st-neots-for-john-bellingham-who-assasinated-spencer-percival-prime-minister-p-ibbett

Because until you know the motive, “assassination” is a loaded term. You don’t want to colour the assessment of the crime with false terminology

You obviously weren't watching the coverage they were explored every conspiracy theory, reasoning, etc etc etc.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,323
    Well, that's depressing news to wake up to.
    Trump’s plane arrived back in New Jersey, and he walked off unaided.

https://x.com/tpostmillennial/status/1812349950640243050
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Early days though.

He won’t have set it up himself anyway, even if it was a setup, given he’s so gaga now.

If it was a set up, the secret service must surely have been involved. Either they allowed it to happen or, more likely, they did a very poor job at assessing the risk of the site.
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Early days though.

If it was a set up, the secret service must surely have been involved. Either they allowed it to happen or, more likely, they did a very poor job at assessing the risk of the site.
    A few months ago there was scuttlebutt that the Secret Service were annoyed that Trump wasn't following their 'advice' on where/when to campaign from a safety viewpoint.
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Early days though.

One thought that does occur to me is if he does now drop dead from natural causes - not impossible with delayed shock for an elderly and already quite frail man - the Secret Service will be blamed. ‘They failed first time, now they came back to finish him.’

But theMAGA crowd would have e thought that anyway.
  • StereodogStereodog Posts: 561

Dura_Ace said:

I'm slightly bemused by a plaque on the wall in my local town that proclaims that the assassin of Spencer Perceval was born nearby.

https://st-neots.ccan.co.uk/content/catalogue_item/historical-plaque-on-cross-house-in-st-neots-for-john-bellingham-who-assasinated-spencer-percival-prime-minister-p-ibbett
    Hey he’s the only famous person us St Neots folk have apart from that very tall man in the 19th century.
    edited July 14
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Early days though.

He'd certainly have to have been a genius marksman to shoot that close and miss.

The conspiracies will inevitably focus on how the guy got so near and such a good vantage point so easily, given the ultra-heavy ultra-paranoid security that always surrounds US presidents

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Early days though.

A few months ago there was scuttlebutt that the Secret Service were annoyed that Trump wasn't following their 'advice' on where/when to campaign from a safety viewpoint.
    Supposed they said no to this site because of a flat roof building nearby. Even if Trump overruled them, surely you just stick some officers around that building to make sure no one goes on it.
    Stereodog said:

Dura_Ace said:

Hey he’s the only famous person us St Neots folk have apart from that very tall man in the 19th century.
    TBF I'm struggling to think of anyone else.... ;)

I'm very fond of St Neots. It's a shame all the banks are closing, as it means I don't go there quite as often as I used to (except to the swimming pool, that is).
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Early days though.

Supposed they said no to this site because of a flat roof building nearby. Even if Trump overruled them, surely you just stick some officers around that building to make sure no one goes on it.
    And *on* the roof as well. Yes, it's an absolute ****-up by the Secret Service; time will tell how much of a ****=up it was.
    edited July 14
    We are lucky, our crazies just take to annoying everybody by playing stupid music at a million decibels....not taking pot shots at a rally.
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405

We are lucky, our crazies just take to annoying everybody by playing stupid music at a million decibels....not taking pot shots at a rally.

It's not luck, it's gun control

I do hope horrible crossbows will be controlled asap.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 9,938
    Maybe America should make it harder for people to get guns?
    Stereodog said:

Dura_Ace said:

Not that famous even in st Neots if they can't spell him
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,511
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Sky have reported that he was a Republican. The donation to Biden is something I've only seen on Twitter.
    Gonna mention this despite it being totally speculative (ie basically made up) because it's very on-topic: It seems to be a $15 on the date of Biden's inauguration. One reason to do this otherwise weird thing would be if you lost a bet on whether Biden would be inaugurated.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,349

Chances of meaningful gun control coming out of this?

I suppose it's possible to construct a timeline where Trump says "I was attacked by a gunman, therefore control guns", but I'm not sure it's likely.

And the stupid partisanship of the gun debate in the US feels like one of the first steps on the path that has ended up where they gave ended up.

Thanks to all the overnight posters. I had gone to bed shortly before this kicked off and the overnight posts were a concise (and at times entertaining) summary of events that will spare me wasting time reading a lot of hyperbolic crap elsewhere.

I woke up just before Radio 4 handed over to the World Service

“We’ll go to the world service soon with the latest dramatic updates on the breaking news in the US… but first sailing by”.. and then the metrological forecasts… and then the handover … and then the intro to the next programme …

Indeed, although let’s not forget about David Amess, Jo Cox and others killed or injured by idiots in recent times.

A country with poor mental health and easy availability of guns is a bad combination though, as we have seen tonight.

The suggestion is that the gunman was on a flat roof next to the rally’s location, roughly 400’ from the stage. If that’s correct, it points to one hell of a failure by the security team around the former president that no-one had eyes on such an obvious place. A couple of regular local cops could have done the job. Hindsight’s a wonderful thing, but the head of the Secret Service must be more than slightly worried about their position right now.

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Gonna mention this despite it being totally speculative (ie basically made up) because it's very on-topic: It seems to be a $15 on the date of Biden's inauguration. One reason to do this otherwise weird thing would be if you lost a bet on whether Biden would be inaugurated.
    A genius bit of thinking.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 11,967
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Early days though.

It still always impresses me how rarely assassins manage to get close to US presidents, given the prevalence of guns there and the huge global target on the POTUS head.
  • Sandpit said:

One for photo geeks. Analysis of why the image that’s going around the world at the moment, is as good as it is.

Congratulations to photographer Evan Vucci, who ran towards the stage as the shots rang out. He’s a PA photog based in Washington, and follows all the politicians around.

He would be up on a health and safety charge for endangering himself over here...
    TimS said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Early days though.

It still always impresses me how rarely assassins manage to get close to US presidents, given the prevalence of guns there and the huge global target on the POTUS head.
    Isn't the silly stat something like 25% of US presidents have been shot? Although that has now gone up.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,837
    Sandpit said:

He just pointed at Trump's face and got lucky with the rest.

No way was he composing the picture.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,574

Sandpit said:

No, but he did crop it well afterwards, probably adjusted the colour balance and exposure too.

That's digital imaging for you.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,493
    Morning all. Interesting snippet from Kate Andrews:

In an interview with the BBC, one bystander stated that he and others had tried to point out to the police and secret service that there was a shooter crawling on a nearby roof.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/trump-is-now-a-living-martyr/

You obviously weren't watching the coverage they were explored every conspiracy theory, reasoning, etc etc etc.
    Of course they were.

But the at doesn’t mean Biden or the FBI should. That’s why the FBI used the phrase “what we are now calling an assassination”

• CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,438

Stereodog said:

Dura_Ace said:

Evidently poor St Neot doesn't count, either.
    edited July 14

Sandpit said:

I’ll go with he’s been doing the job for decades, and knows instinctively where to point the camera in such a pressured situation, and I’ll add a bit of the AP picture desk being really good at post-production, knowing that a little rotation or cropping can make a big difference to how any given image comes across.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,157
    I wonder how many fools are destroying their career by publicly regretting on twatter that Trump wasn't killed.

Of course they were.

But the at doesn’t mean Biden or the FBI should. That’s why the FBI used the phrase “what we are now calling an assassination”

I didn't say they should. I was talking about the ridiculousness of some of the media who went from Trump falls over headline to shots at Trump rally while speculating on all sorts of stuff, but missing the point somebody tried to assassinate him.
    edited July 14

I wonder how many fools are destroying their career by publicly regretting on twatter that Trump wasn't killed.

Lots. That and the tiktok....
    edited July 14

Of course they were.

I didn't say they should. I was talking about the ridiculousness of some of the media who went from Trump falls over headline to shots at Trump rally while speculating on all sorts of stuff, but missing the point somebody tried to assassinate him.
    This collage of headlines would be quite hillarious, if the subject wasn’t so serious.

https://x.com/tpostmillennial/status/1812375040828039298

CNN: “Secret Service rushes Trump off stage after he falls at rally”, is surely one of their stupidest headlines of all time?
    Carnyx said:

Stereodog said:

Dura_Ace said:

Evidently poor St Neot doesn't count, either.
    Apparently there are marks on the ground pointing out where part of the priory was. I've never found them.
    edited July 14
    Sandpit said:

Of course they were.

This collage of headlines would be quite hillarious, if the subject wasn’t so serious.

CNN: “Secret Service rushes Trump off stage, after he falls at rally”, is surely one of their stupidest headlines of all time?
    If it wasn't been live streamed and they were reporting this 2nd / 3rd hand they might have some defence....but there was live video stream of the whole thing.

The headline might as well been "overweight man with fake (golf) handicap falls over."
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,157
    Sandpit said:

Similarities to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_the_Flag_on_Iwo_Jima
    Stereodog said:

Dura_Ace said:

Though Saint Neot himself was an interesting fellow. His miracles included adjusting door furniture and restoring grilled fish to life.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Neot_(monk)
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,528

Sandpit said:

Of course they were.

CNN: “Secret Service rushes Trump off stage, after he falls at rally”, is surely one of their stupidest headlines of all time?
    If it wasn't been live streamed and they were reporting this 2nd / 3rd hand they might have some defence....but there was live video stream of the whole thing.

The headline might as well been "overweight man with fake (golf) handicap falls over."
    "overweight convict", please.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,528
    You've got to hand it to Trump, he took a bullet for his commitment to lack of control over American youth buying semi-automatic weapons.

Idiot.
    Interview with an eye witness on the Beeb.

Secret Service asleep at the wheel ?

https://x.com/peterbale/status/1812286286931317096?s=61
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,673

Chances of meaningful gun control coming out of this?

I suppose it's possible to construct a timeline where Trump says "I was attacked by a gunman, therefore control guns", but I'm not sure it's likely.

And the stupid partisanship of the gun debate in the US feels like one of the first steps on the path that has ended up where they gave ended up.
    AFAICS gun control is Biden & the Dems vs The Supreme Court & MAGA in Congress.

So we have Biden doing restriction, and the Supreme Court reintroducing Bump Stocks.
    edited July 14
    We surely have to consider it inevitable now that Trump will be POTUS by January.

Are we witnessing the beginning of the end of Western democracy? I think we probably are. Dark times ahead.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,298

You've got to hand it to Trump, he took a bullet for his commitment to lack of control over American youth buying semi-automatic weapons.

Idiot.

If that American youth had been using a semi automatic, Trump (and a lot of other people on the stage) wouldn’t be around today
    And it gives the BBC an excuse to have Farage on.

Quite a few, it seems. Although classy replies from the likes of Obama.

Sandpit said:

Similarities to this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raising_the_Flag_on_Iwo_Jima
    Different vibe though. It is a photo of defiance, and it’s angry - it captures Trump as his supporters would see him, resilient under attack. It’s different from photos of triumph like Iwo Jima.

I am sure there will be a few, though I've yet to see one.
    IanB2 said:

I’m not sure they need an excuse.

Let’s count up beeb appearances of him and Ed Davey over the next 5 years.
    IanB2 said:

So what.

In this case I’d expect this is something he’d be able to contribute to given his links to Trump.

No, it’s been surprisingly hard to come by that kind of sentiment.

Sandpit said:

Of course they were.

Perhaps Newsweek’s is even worse:

“MAGA responds with outrage after Donald Trump injured at Pennsylvania rally”

https://x.com/libsoftiktok/status/1812350972116795550

That Twitter account is also collating posts of people making total morons of themselves on social media, and there’s a lot of them out there.
    eek said:

Idiot.

If that American youth had been using a semi automatic, Trump (and a lot of other people on the stage) wouldn’t be around today
    Semi automatic is one shot at a time, the automatic element is putting the next round in the chamber.

We surely have to consider it inevitable now that Trump will be POTUS by January.

Are we witnessing the beginning of the end of Western democracy? I think we probably are. Dark times ahead.

That's a bit hyperbolic, even Leonesque.

While Trump 2 The Return will be a bad thing, it won't be terminal for democracy in the USA and certainly not in the rest of the world. If Project 2025 happens it will be because the Americans wanted it.

Indeed the spread of democracy is one of the major trends of modern times. There is only one dictatorship in South America for example, and a lot of Africa and Asia are democracies too.
    edited July 14

There are loads of examples. There are mash-ups of tiktok videos of people losing their shit that the shooter missed.

Then there are people CO State Rep Steven Woodrow who is in big trouble, a university of British Columbia professor, etc etc etc.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,277

NEW THREAD

• MattWMattW Posts: 21,673
    edited July 14

Sandpit said:

He would be up on a health and safety charge for endangering himself over here...
    I think Altizer overeggs the premeditation of the exact photograph a little, especially the technical composition. The photog himself talks about the need to document history.

A pro-cam used by the press will be able to burst 20 or 30 photos per second, at shutter speeds of 1/5000 to 1/8000 of a second. So I'd suggest the positioning is careful, but he has a lot of pics to choose from.

That's not to take anything away from the photog, though.

The shots of the bullet in flight are startling.

https://x.com/thatcoderguyy/status/1812372083365621942
    https://www.nytimes.com/2024/07/14/us/politics/photo-path-trump-assassination.html
    Taz said:

Quite a few, it seems. Although classy replies from the likes of Obama.

Obama, and the other senior politicans, all understand just how real is the threat to their own lives. He still lives with round-the-clock security, and can’t go to the shops without dozens of policemen being involved in weeks of planning beforehand.

I read somewhere today that there are more than 6,000 officers in the Secret Service, looking after security for just a few dozen individuals.
    edited July 14
    Foxy said:

That's a bit hyperbolic, even Leonesque.

While Trump 2 The Return will be a bad thing, it won't be terminal for democracy in the USA and certainly not in the rest of the world. If Project 2025 happens it will be because the Americans wanted it.

Indeed the spread of democracy is one of the major trends of modern times. There is only one dictatorship in South America for example, and a lot of Africa and Asia are democracies too.
    I hope you're right Foxy but it all feels a bit depressing to me right now.
This discussion has been closed.