Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Were you up for Liz Truss? – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Tim_in_RuislipTim_in_Ruislip Posts: 387
    edited July 5

Decent Majority

Let Starmer get on with it.

Normal people will now tune out of politics for a few years.

So long as labour don't fuck it up, the party will get re-elected in 2029.

That is all.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,622

Fuck no!

Rehman Chishti lost his seat, that's a bigger moment than Liz Truss losing.

He was nailed on to succeed Sunak.

Yeah I saw that. No more Chisti time
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,772
    eek said:

Eabhal said:

I feel dirty, I agree with bad Al Campbell.

Starmer and Reeves have to go for planning reform, to go for growth, and they have a mandate for it.

If they do, they'll get growth and they'll have done the right thing.

If they don't, the UK will continue to languish.

It is time.

Build those phone masts.
    Its not just phone masts, its everything.

Houses, phone masts, factories, shops, roads, rails, cycle paths, reservoirs, sewage treatment, you name it we need to stop NIMBYs from blocking it.
    You may be right but you expose the weakness of your attempt to base yourself on libertarianism because if you want to build roads, rails, cycle paths, reservoirs it's not just nimbies abusing the planning system you are up against, it's landowners who quite often would like there not to be roads, rails, cycle paths, reservoirs on their land. I thought everyone should be allowed to do exactly as they please with their own property?
    There is relatively little problem buying land for development - getting the land for HS2 was comparatively straight forward.
    Apparently the costs of HS2 wasn't so much NIMBYism or the land but the political uncertainty associated with the project.

And the contractors were right to be sceptical.
    The cost of HS2 is down to the fact it's in tunnels all the way from Birmingham to London which costs 3-4 times more than building the route on land...

You also have the fact we simply don't know how to run construction projects in this country - you really need a 20 year outline of potential projects so that companies can invest in people and machinery knowing what they will be doing 5 years hence with security well beyond that.
    I don't know we have are having a long pause in the trams project in Edinburgh. Surely cheaper to keep chugging along at a steady rate.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,594
    Farooq said:

Still waiting for a coupe of results to finalise the competition results. It might be tomorrow at this rate because I've got a birthday party to go to later.

Can you pixelate the names of some of the posters with comedy answers? Asking for a friend who wishes to remain anonymous…
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,880
    tyson said:

stjohn said:

I'm pleased with the result. But I'm not sure how I'm going to cope with with five more years of Alastair Campbell.

And Mandelson.....the Dark Lord returns...just when you thought you'd seen the last of him, he's back, and stronger than ever...
    Anyone involved on the last Labour government who is not still in the game can ne ignored really. We're not short of political commentators.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,378

kle4 said:

Starmer and Reeves have to go for planning reform, to go for growth, and they have a mandate for it.

It is time.

Build those phone masts.

Houses, phone masts, factories, shops, roads, rails, cycle paths, reservoirs, sewage treatment, you name it we need to stop NIMBYs from blocking it.
    You may be right but you expose the weakness of your attempt to base yourself on libertarianism because if you want to build roads, rails, cycle paths, reservoirs it's not just nimbies abusing the planning system you are up against, it's landowners who quite often would like there not to be roads, rails, cycle paths, reservoirs on their land. I thought everyone should be allowed to do exactly as they please with their own property?
    Can't someone have libertarian leanings which influence their positions without being some kind of sovereign rights anarchist?
    Yes to leanings, no to a You can do whatever you like, no exceptions, when it comes to building on your own land, ticket which I think is Bart's position. If you can say the greater good demands a road across your land you can also say the greater good demands an absence of new houses on your land.
    What are you talking about?

I have no qualms with people refusing to build on their own land. Its their land, their choice.

Not sure what point you're trying to prove, nobody is saying people should be forced to develop their land against their free will.

Why is he in a German car?

Because the UK no longer builds cars which we will supply to the government in a suitable spec.

Beautifully symbolic of our decline.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,946
    Nuke letters need sending Keir, get on it
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,757
    Here we go. Keir on the move.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,772
    Eabhal said:

Must be a security issue with Starmer going in via the Foreign Office

I think he might have just got confused by the Downing Street LTN.
    Maybe he needed a quick wee and it was an awkward question to ask the King?
  • KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,917

Because the UK no longer builds cars which we will supply to the government in a suitable spec.

Yep.
    Is Steve Bray in the reception line?
    Bit tragic PM.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,880
    Let's nor forget Starmer is the oldest PM at the start of his term for 50-60 years.

He won't last a year, the old codger.
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,185
    FF43 said:

darkage said:

I just had a look at my Linkedin feed. There are a lot of 'professionals' engaging in a bit of defamation/slander against Reform UK, calling them racist, against multiculturalism, etc. They are doing this on the false assumption that everyone reading their feed agrees with them and taking the absence of criticism as validation for their views. But actually a lot of the people reading these outbursts voted for Reform UK and many more will be sympathetic to them.

The facts are 1 in 7 of the electorate voted reform, 1 in 3 of the electorate voted labour. It is not some mad fascist fringe movement. Reform UK are a mainstream party representing a significant quantum of public opinion.

These statements aren't necessarily a contradiction. It's quite possible for a racist and fascist party to get 1 in 7 of the vote. 1 in 7 would be too many people for a civilised and inclusive society. The consolation is 6 out of 7 don't vote for them.
    The reform party have a centre right manifesto which is a slightly more unrealistic/impractical/uncosted version than the conservative party manifesto. It is true that some of their supporters have extreme and offensive views. The tactic of the 'liberal establishment' is to find a random candidate or supporter with such views and then 'out' the party as racist/fascist, and then whip up the masses with appeals to trying to stop 'fascism'. It is worth noting, in observation, that this tactic is not really applied to the other parties when extremists are found in their own ranks, ie the conservative party, the labour party, the green party etc.

If we really have free speech, then people should be allowed to say what they think, and their comments should not be used against the political parties they are affiliated with, as long as the parties in question make clear that they are personal views that are not shared by the party. I agree with Farage about this. If you don't let this process happen, then you are going to radicalise people further, and the reaction on the right will just become more and more extreme.

• Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,716
    edited July 5
    Looking at the Northern Ireland results in detail, the UUP were only 2,000 away from winning East Antrim (just behind Alliance who were second), and had a pretty strong third place in Lagan Valley. They might well re-emerge as a significant force. Alliance got a good result in Lagan Valley, but remain vulnerable due to a big Unionist lead in the seat. Unionists defeated them in East Belfast and North Down surprisingly easily. My guess is that North Down voters want a light orange MP, and that was not Stephen Farry.

SDLP still look secure in Foyle (with aid of Unionist tactical voting), and South Belfast (with the aid of Sinn Fein tactical voting).
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    Live from Downing Street: Watch my first speech as Prime Minister

https://x.com/keir_starmer/status/1809190270271111569
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,150

Symbolic only of the world's obsession with SUVs. If people still bought large saloons, Jaguar would still make a suitable XJ. The spec demands a conventional fuel saloon IIRC.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,811
    Farooq said:

Still waiting for a coupe of results to finalise the competition results. It might be tomorrow at this rate because I've got a birthday party to go to later.

Inverness won't be holding a recount until tomorrow, so feel free to clock off.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,493
    I was happily asleep. I think she was probably afraid she'd blub. I think the negatives of walking off probably outweighed the negatives of sobbing on live telly, so I don't really blame her.

I understand her activities outside frontline politics had built her a nest egg, and I'm sure she'll be fine as a commentator, polemicist etc.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,416

I still remember 2nd May 1997. That amazing afterglow where you walk around with a big grin on your face. Today I have that same grin - and not just "a Labour landslide". A LD resurrection - best result since 1918. And death to the SNP.

A new dawn has broken, has it not?

It doesn't feel like that to me.

The vile Faragista and Hamas victories leave a disgusting taste in the mouth.
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405

kle4 said:

It is time.

Build those phone masts.

Can't someone have libertarian leanings which influence their positions without being some kind of sovereign rights anarchist?
    Yes to leanings, no to a You can do whatever you like, no exceptions, when it comes to building on your own land, ticket which I think is Bart's position. If you can say the greater good demands a road across your land you can also say the greater good demands an absence of new houses on your land.

I have no qualms with people refusing to build on their own land. Its their land, their choice.

Not sure what point you're trying to prove, nobody is saying people should be forced to develop their land against their free will.
    But that happens every single time a road or railway or reservoir is built. How do you do HS2 without mass compulsory purchase?
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,273

They should get over the tragic Puritanism and have Bentleys for senior figures. Any other country would happily let their leaders be driven in top marque cars, especially if that country is associated with that brand.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,352
    We’re back!
    Very gracious of Starmer.
    Farooq said:

biggles said:

Farooq said:

Can you pixelate the names of some of the posters with comedy answers? Asking for a friend who wishes to remain anonymous…
    I won't shame myself those who finish low down. I'll focus on the top few.
    Actually, there’s a point. If I can’t win, I want the wooden spoon!
    edited July 5
    I don't like this turning what is now a Prime Ministerial statement into another Labour rally.
    Nice tribute to Rishi

• Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,716

I still remember 2nd May 1997. That amazing afterglow where you walk around with a big grin on your face. Today I have that same grin - and not just "a Labour landslide". A LD resurrection - best result since 1918. And death to the SNP.

Fast forward to 2029, and Reform are leading in the polls on 29%, closely followed by the Workers' Party on 25%.
    boulay said:

They should get over the tragic Puritanism and have Bentleys for senior figures. Any other country would happily let their leaders be driven in top marque cars, especially if that country is associated with that brand.
    Yes, Bentley and Rolls both still make suitable cars. And now Bentley has gone downmarket and sits very much below Rolls, it would be fine.
  • AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,415
    eek said:

Eabhal said:

It is time.

Build those phone masts.

There is relatively little problem buying land for development - getting the land for HS2 was comparatively straight forward.
    Apparently the costs of HS2 wasn't so much NIMBYism or the land but the political uncertainty associated with the project.

And the contractors were right to be sceptical.
    The cost of HS2 is down to the fact it's in tunnels all the way from Birmingham to London which costs 3-4 times more than building the route on land...

You also have the fact we simply don't know how to run construction projects in this country - you really need a 20 year outline of potential projects so that companies can invest in people and machinery knowing what they will be doing 5 years hence with security well beyond that.
    Not just that it's in tunnel - it's the type of tunnel. Originally was meant to be done using cut & cover, but NIMBYism shifted it to deep-level bored tunnel, quadrupling the cost again.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,876

I was happily asleep. I think she was probably afraid she'd blub. I think the negatives of walking off probably outweighed the negatives of sobbing on live telly, so I don't really blame her.

I understand her activities outside frontline politics had built her a nest egg, and I'm sure she'll be fine as a commentator, polemicist etc.

Doesn't she get a lifelong pension for serving 49 days as PM?
  • EPGEPG Posts: 6,637

Live from Downing Street: Watch my first speech as Prime Minister

https://x.com/keir_starmer/status/1809190270271111569

Upon advice from PB Tories he will be announcing the one-party state.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    It's absolutely bonkers how much more marginal Britain has become.

With most results in, the average seat majority looks to be about 6,700, down from 11,200 in 2019.

We have a Labour landslide, yet at the constituency level seats are tighter than any point since 1945 #GE24 

https://x.com/tomhcalver/status/1809090481311064314?
    Any day one announcements I wonder.

I don't like this turning what is now a Prime Ministerial statement into another Labour rally.

Okay they've stopped the cheering now.
    What a surprise. no bleating out from Steve Bray...makes a change

I wonder what all the grifters on Twitter and in real life will move on to now... and who the new grifters will be.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,876
    My god Starmar is dull lol...

What a twat that man is. Hopefully he's left forever.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 6,637

It's absolutely bonkers how much more marginal Britain has become.

With most results in, the average seat majority looks to be about 6,700, down from 11,200 in 2019.

We have a Labour landslide, yet at the constituency level seats are tighter than any point since 1945 #GE24 

https://x.com/tomhcalver/status/1809090481311064314?

The BoJo prophylactic replaced by SKS's dinky austerity fake Christmas tree.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,277

NEW THREAD

• wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,946
    Bored now. Give me free stuff
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,806
    @AlboMP
    Congratulations to my friend and new UK Prime Minister
    @Keir_Starmer
    on his resounding election victory - I look forward to working constructively with the incoming @UKLabour
    Government

https://x.com/AlboMP/status/1809082518597218409
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,806
    Businesslike statement from Starmer outside No 10 but lacking colour and flair. Pleased he was not arrogant and reached out to show he would govern for those who did not vote Labour too. Now he sets about appointing his Cabinet
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,378

kle4 said:

It is time.

Build those phone masts.

But that happens every single time a road or railway or reservoir is built. How do you do HS2 without mass compulsory purchase?
    Compulsory purchases should be a last resort and very rarely used.

If land is purchased, as it often is, then its up to the new owner what happens on that land, not the old owner.

That should happen voluntarily, not by force, almost all the time.
    GIN1138 said:

My god Starmar is dull lol...

Dull is a vote winner, I think, after the past few years.

It's what he does that matters, as he's just said.
    edited July 5
    He's bloody good at this prime minister stuff.

58th Prime Minister of our great country...

Sir Kier Starmer.

it took a lot of effort, from lots of us.nBut we did it...

I disagree for two reasons:
    1) In a democracy you get what you vote for. These candidates won their elections
    2) The best way to defeat extremism is to expose it to the light of public scrutiny. The BNP rapidly died after they won council elections and were exposed at utter tools. Galloway in and out of Rochdale in 20 minutes. Watch the fun as the light shines on Farage and the independent lot.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,208
    Magnificent speech.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,416
    viewcode said:

EPG said:

Best gains by party? Leicester East, Aberdeenshire - Moray, North Herefordshire, Boston if Basildon doesn’t come through? And which ones for Lab/Lib?

NW Cambridgeshire for Labour
    Tewkesbury or Witney for the LibDems
    For the Greens? Bristol Central and one or more of Waveney Valley, Brighton Pavilion and North Herefordshire

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/12273/chronicle-of-a-bet-foretold-thin-gruel-politicalbetting-com
    North Herefordshire is unbelievable. I lived in the Leominster constituency for years, and I thought Wiggin was there until they carried him out in old age in a box.
  • Good speech from SKS I thought.

Not flash, just Keir.
    Farooq said:

STARMER OUTside Number 10

Fixed that for you
This discussion has been closed.