Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Were you up for Liz Truss? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,438

https://archive.md/TTblH

How Starmer slaughtered the Tories Inside Labour's march to victory

Thanks, that was interesting - especially the role the dodgy betting played (which is not the obvious one, or at least not mainly).
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,494
    Foxy said:

TimS said:

So this was a useful test of the idea of RefCon and LLG blocs. A PR voting pattern in a FPTP election.

Final scores on the doors are LLG 52.7%, RefCon 38%. But the polls were GB and this is UK with 2.5% going to Northern Ireland, so the adjusted GB numbers are LLG 54, RefCon 39. That's somewhat higher for RefCon than the polls, and lower for LLG. So a polling miss on left vs right.

What has this election told us about tactical voting? It's that Labour and the Lib Dems have got their tactical dance so in-step that they are practically operating as a single party. Extreme efficiency. But little or no evidence of any tactical voting between Labour and Green, and virtually none between Con and Reform.

That tactical vote surely cannot account for the difference between 35% and 41% can it?
    I think the clue was there in the poll (was it @IanB2 who posted it?) Showing 39% LAB, but only 30% were real Lab, the rest preferring other parties as first choice, mostly Green. It looks to me that about half decided to go with their real preference.
    I agree - we forget how late many ordinary voters start to pay attention. There will be a fair few who'd intended to vote Labour tactically, who revisited it in the runup to polling day and since it was clear Labour would win by miles, went back to their original preference. You can see this in a lot of the seats Labour won, where the LibDem vote wasn't really squeezed. Similarly the Greens chalked up some decent results in Labour held seats; in many they overtook the LibDems.

• Big questions for how the Tories go up against this.
  • SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 7,057
    edited July 5

BBC having one big 1997 circle-jerk.

Raworth disappointed there's no redux - it's raining, there's no flags waving in Downing Street etc.

One suspects rules have changed a bit on who is allowed into downing street.

Didn't they have pretty tight security even at the time? There was an IRA mortar attack on the Cabinet in 1991 and, although the threat had lessened by 1997, there wasn't yet a ceasefire in place and it certainly wasn't like the old days when you could wander down and have your photo taken.
  • Eabhal said:

Big shout out to Robert.

We had over 5,000 comments in the 12 hours after the exit poll came out and the PB servers coped.

And to you, impressed by the number of threads you spammed out overnight and the efficient closure of comments.
    Last night was the fourth general election night I edited PB.

I am getting the hang of things.
    Yeah your moderation was decent.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    Jeremy Hunt concession speech:

https://x.com/michaelsavage/status/1809150399816839537

Would be a good interim leader while the Tories work out what they are for. If they pick Braverman we’ll know “not a lot”.
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,772
    Charles seems to take a bit longer over this kind of thing.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,969
    edited July 5

HYUFD said:

Dignified resignation speech from Rishi, he also confirmed he would resign as PM

Morning Mr HYUFD. You must be feeling a bit relieved this morning. Could have worse for the Conservatives in Essex.
    Could have been better - Priti could have lost!
    My thoughts exactly!

What shook me was both Southend seats going red. East I could understand; it was close a couple of times when I was involved in the past, but David Amess and the Channon family’s’in house’ seat…..Wow.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,527

I wonder if these Hamas Independents will formally set themselves up as a party? Ahead of ReFuk and Green in seat numbers if they do.

God you're tedious.

Worrying about Palestinians doesn't make you a Hamas supporter in the same worrying about Israel and her people doesn't make you a genocide enabler.
    Are you suggesting genocide is occurring in Gaza?

And did you see Jess Phillips acceptance speech?

https://x.com/_jack_carson/status/1809088902835085353
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,003

I wonder if these Hamas Independents will formally set themselves up as a party? Ahead of ReFuk and Green in seat numbers if they do.

God you're tedious.

Worrying about Palestinians doesn't make you a Hamas supporter in the same worrying about Israel and her people doesn't make you a genocide enabler.
    I look forward to their condemnation of the terrorists then.
    Have you condemned Netanyahu?
  • sarissasarissa Posts: 1,949

How many seats are the Scottish Tories on?

Five, all holds or notional hold (Gordon), Dross the loser
    DRoss played a blinder.

Now finds himself as a back bencher in Holyrood.
    More time for running the line in football matches!
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,580

BBC having one big 1997 circle-jerk.

Raworth disappointed there's no redux - it's raining, there's no flags waving in Downing Street etc.

One suspects rules have changed a bit on who is allowed into downing street.
    The cheering, jubilant crowd that day were all Labour Party functionaries as it turned out. The young David Miliband was amongst their number.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,439

Labour losing the Hamas sympathisers is a big part of the reason they're fit for, and won, office.
    PMQs will be something of a pain for Starmer with quite an array of minor groups. Greens, Reform, Corbyn, the new Palestine related independents, residual and angry SNP, and the strange wooliness that only the LDs can do. I forsee quite a lot of international travel ahead for him. Poor Angela.
  • Off topic but relates to a rather more important election this year. Biden's latest gaffe.

Apparently he is now a black woman. Completely incoherent. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/biden-kamala-harris-black-woman-president-gaffe-b2574597.html
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,622

DRoss played a blinder.

Has DRoss actually resigned as ScotCon leader? I thought he said that he *would* resign *if* he was elected in ANME.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,774
    Nunu5 said:

So anyone who opposes the genocide is a Hamas supporter? You disgusting twat
    I think calling it a genocide is going down the same line as calling people Hamas supporters. I think Israel has probably gone too far, but I also don't know what else they could do. There are still hostages in Gaza. The Gazan leadership would drop a nuke on Israel in seconds if they could.
    I'd cycle to Buck House, take the armoured Jag on the way back (bike on the roof). I might get Olof Palmed but tootling down the Mall would be worth it.
    sarissa said:

DRoss played a blinder.

More time for running the line in football matches!
    I wonder how Mr Duguid must be feeling. I don't suppose he is impressed, to say the least.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,378
    We have no Prime Minister.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,837
    Nunu5 said:

No. Just those who don't condemn the terrorists and their evil acts.

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,277

God you're tedious.

No, I was just pointing out the stupidity of your comment that to have concern about the Palestinians made you a Hamas supporter.

Your language is the language of Netanyahu which should make you reflect.
  • So I think the Labour majority is as of right now 176, just three shy of Blair 1997.

I don't know what the final two seats are but my guess of them matching Blair is not looking too bad.

Nunu5 said:

No. Just those who don't condemn the terrorists and their evil acts.

Have you condemned Netanyahu and his evil acts?
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,946

DRoss played a blinder.

Has DRoss actually resigned as ScotCon leader? I thought he said that he *would* resign *if* he was elected in ANME.
    Yes, he resigned the leadership 'after the GE", he agreed to leave holyrood if elected in ANME
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,574

We have recalled Agent Truss from the field, her work is complete.

https://x.com/timfarron/status/1809102027756052708

Now that’s a bit naughty
    It is. She is a broken woman. Everything she has ever wanted politically has crumbled into dust.

I would walk across broken glass to vote against her, but have some compassion.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,687

Nunu5 said:

I think calling it a genocide is going down the same line as calling people Hamas supporters. I think Israel has probably gone too far, but I also don't know what else they could do. There are still hostages in Gaza. The Gazan leadership would drop a nuke on Israel in seconds if they could.
    "what else they could do"?

Not target the civilian population.

I'm sure one will turn up soon!
    edited July 5

Big questions for how the Tories go up against this.

In one sense there are very big questions and in another there is a single, pretty simple question:

Absorb RefUK or kill them?

I know you then go on to "how?" but the Tory problem will be there will be violent disagreement on that basic point.

If the King wants to give me a call then I am willing to serve.
    edited July 5

HYUFD said:

Dignified resignation speech from Rishi, he also confirmed he would resign as PM

Morning Mr HYUFD. You must be feeling a bit relieved this morning. Could have worse for the Conservatives in Essex.
    My thoughts exactly!
    And IDS, who deserved to lose after his arrogant hubristic victory speech. Every other person can see that he was bloody lucky to be running against two Labour candidates who split the vote exactly equally, so he gave us a lecture about how it was all down to his own brilliance and hard work.

He even went on to criticise some of his colleagues for "thinking it was all about being in Westminster" - effectively telling his losing colleagues that if only they'd been as good an MP as he is, they wouldn't have lost. I bet they really appreciate that.
  • Test

Test

I wish you wouldn't do that...
    edited July 5

Nunu5 said:

Purely hypothetical. It's Israel who've killed 40,000.
  • What are the two remaining seats? Are they probable Labour or Tory gains?
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405

Test

Abort and await The Letter.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 6,637
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

My thoughts exactly!
    And IDS, who deserved to lose after his arrogant hubristic victory speech. Every other person can see that he was bloody lucky to be running against two Labour candidates who split the vote exactly equally, so he gave us a lecture about how it was all down to his own brilliance and hard work.
    IDS was the one 1983 type result. Pity for them there weren't 250 more.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,581
    edited July 5
    So 121 Con MPs - which means 41 needed to make the Leadership Final 2. (40 would guarantee 2nd=).

@HYUFD - have you done an analysis yet re who will make the Final?

Has Braverman got the numbers?
  • KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,917
    edited July 5

What are the two remaining seats? Are they probable Labour or Tory gains?

One is a recount in Basildon. Potential Reform GAIN.

https://x.com/oflynnsocial/status/1809144510561034348
    That was quick:

• What are the two remaining seats? Are they probable Labour or Tory gains?

One is a recount in Basildon. Potential Reform GAIN.
    Thanks and the other?
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,211

God you're tedious.

No, I was just pointing out the stupidity of your comment that to have concern about the Palestinians made you a Hamas supporter.

Having concerns for the Palestinians is fine.
    Having concerns for the Jews in Israel is fine.

When you put one of those as your top priority, in this country, over everything else - then it's very easy to appear a Hamas or Bibi supporter.

And I see a worrying amount of people whose 'concern' for the Palestinians appears to trump everything else that is happening in the world. And yes, I would class many of those people as Hamas supporters.

I do hope these new 'independent' MPs will look after the interests of all their constituents, even Jewish ones.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,416
    edited July 5
    IanB2 said:

moonshine said:

Right now that’s done. Next PM predictions. I’ll stick my neck out and predict Boris Johnson.

Starmer isn't going to hand over to Johnson!
    Maybe one of Johnson's children. Perhaps Wilfred.
    edited July 5

DRoss played a blinder.

Don't think so. A quick check yields only this (and a Northern Scot story). He hgas promised to resign as party leader [edit] after the election full stop, as well as MSP if he got to keep the MP gig. But maybe he will suddenly decide he has changed his mind. Not being a MP any more, see. Plenty of time.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ceddenl8xz4o

LibDem/SNP and Reform/Tory, I think?

Basildon South
    Inverness, Skye & Ross West
  • Farooq said:

Basildon and Inverness
    Could be reform and lib dem
    Okay so I am projecting:

Labour majority of 174. So just five shy of Blair.

My assumption that the Tories would under-perform seems to have been validated.
    #GeneralElectionNow
    #Trotsout
    mwadams said:

rkrkrk said:

Is bigjohnowls on? Happy to donate £50 to charity of his choice - I offered a bet Starmer would outperform Corbyn... he was right!

Corbyn 262 seats
    Starmer 412 seats!
    Don't forget, Magic Grandpa had a majestic win in 2017 which for technical reasons didn't involve him moving into Downing Street.

Whereas Sir K. has had a tragic failure which, for equally technical reasons, has resulted in the largest number of Labour MPs and a shift to the Government benches.
    Given the Tories have been blaming both of them for UKG policy for the last 14 years, it hardly seems to matter.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,837

God you're tedious.

I look forward to their condemnation of the terrorists then.
    Have you condemned Netanyahu?
    I've always thought he was an evil fecker.

• FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,527

God you're tedious.

What comment of mine? Do you need to get some sleep?
    Farooq said:

It's fun to see the commentary on the SNP swing all the way back the other way. After 2015 there were shrill voices complaining of a one party state (when they got 50% of the vote). Now it's talk of annihilation (and they're heading for about 30% of the vote I think).

One of the reasons I don't like FPTP is the unjust seat distributions (honestly, 56/59 seats was insane), but the other aspect is how exaggerated the effects, and therefore the reactions, are.

None of this will dent the Labour joy or the SNP pain -- a huge number of seats have changed hands. But in the cold light of day it's looking like SNP have a decent base to build back on. If they can keep their fucking fingers out of tills/young boys/expenses/jail!

ANME: final update. We did it, we shifted the Tories out! Big thanks to Rochdale for helping with that. I'm certain with a non-existent campaign from the Lib Dems the Tories would have clung on. Finishing last shouldn't be a mark of shame, it was a small contribution but a big effect. I'm delighted we have an MP who isn't Conservative or Reform.

Future: my vote is immediately back in play, and the rules have changed. The Tories have had the kicking they so richly deserved and needed. My priority is probably going to be back to Europe again next election. Immediate favourites will be Lib Dem and SNP, but we'll see how policy stances develop. I'm much less likely to vote tactically next time, but we're going to have to keep an eye on whether the Tories lurch rightwards. I could vote again to keep them out if they're still a shitshow or worse. But I think they'll turn towards the light.

How do you see yourself voting with your Holyrood votes in 2026?

(Tell me to feck off if you don't want to answer, heck tell me to feck off if you do want to answer.)

I think the Holyrood election of 2026 could re-energise Scottish nationalism.
  • The Tories on 121 really is awful. But with the current electorate, maybe bet on a Tory landslide next time.
    edited July 5
    Patrick O'Flynn saying Reform won the first count in Basildon South by 127 but recount underway.
    IanB2 said:

Reform/Lab with Tory a close third (all within 1000)
  • I feel dirty, I agree with bad Al Campbell.

Starmer and Reeves have to go for planning reform, to go for growth, and they have a mandate for it.

If they do, they'll get growth and they'll have done the right thing.

If they don't, the UK will continue to languish.

It is time.

Build those phone masts.
  • James_MJames_M Posts: 103
    The Conservative Keighley and Ilkley win was very impressive, especially as the Labour candidate was an ex-MP. I had heard Moore was effective and while I will bow to @SandyRentool's analysis I think he must be underselling Moore's popularity given how much he bucked the trend.
    Chris said:

Nunu5 said:

Gaza obviously matters to a significant segment of the population, not by any means all Muslim, but I think there is more to it than that. There is a feeling (very much like Red wall Reform voters) that Labour has taken them for granted for far too long and failed to invest in their communities. The two have a lot in common.
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,716

Big questions for how the Tories go up against this.

In one sense there are very big questions and in another there is a single, pretty simple question:

Absorb RefUK or kill them?

I know you then go on to "how?" but the Tory problem will be there will be violent disagreement on that basic point.
    Reform may kill themselves. A year from now, they may have vanished in a myriad of factions.

But, let's say they're here for the duration. IMHO, to start with, take a leaf out of the left's book. Encourage tactical voting among right wing voters. Where Reform are best placed to go after Labour, let them do so. Labour will ultimately do stuff that pisses off right wing voters, who will want to remove the local Labour MP. Every Labour loss, even if it is to Reform, is a benfit to the Conservatives.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,581
    edited July 5
    You really do wonder what will happen next.

The Lab Govt is starting with 34% support. If they lose support then surely a Hung Parliament is almost certain next time. Even without a deal, the Con and Ref votes should be a bit more efficient as it will be obvious in each seat which of them is the strongest challenger.

Of course if the Govt does well and gains support then they will be re-elected.
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,601
    Good to see all the counts done overnight now. I recall only a few elections ago there was talk of moving to counting the following day and indeed many counts were done so.

👍
    IanB2 said:

Didn't Basildon used to have a Nazi MP? The one who opened a bondage emporium when he was ousted from parliament.
    Farooq said:

It's fun to see the commentary on the SNP swing all the way back the other way. After 2015 there were shrill voices complaining of a one party state (when they got 50% of the vote). Now it's talk of annihilation (and they're heading for about 30% of the vote I think).

One of the reasons I don't like FPTP is the unjust seat distributions (honestly, 56/59 seats was insane), but the other aspect is how exaggerated the effects, and therefore the reactions, are.

None of this will dent the Labour joy or the SNP pain -- a huge number of seats have changed hands. But in the cold light of day it's looking like SNP have a decent base to build back on. If they can keep their fucking fingers out of tills/young boys/expenses/jail!

ANME: final update. We did it, we shifted the Tories out! Big thanks to Rochdale for helping with that. I'm certain with a non-existent campaign from the Lib Dems the Tories would have clung on. Finishing last shouldn't be a mark of shame, it was a small contribution but a big effect. I'm delighted we have an MP who isn't Conservative or Reform.

Future: my vote is immediately back in play, and the rules have changed. The Tories have had the kicking they so richly deserved and needed. My priority is probably going to be back to Europe again next election. Immediate favourites will be Lib Dem and SNP, but we'll see how policy stances develop. I'm much less likely to vote tactically next time, but we're going to have to keep an eye on whether the Tories lurch rightwards. I could vote again to keep them out if they're still a shitshow or worse. But I think they'll turn towards the light.

I think that's a decent take.

That graph Horse posted is fascinating - much of it is FPTP and vote efficiency and how it varies. That's the riules of the FPTP game, which to be fair to both parties the LDs and SNP have always decried.

That was quick:

Hopefully he's recovered from his severe case of candidateitis, thinking he might lose his seat when he was actually clear by over 12,000!
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405

Off topic but relates to a rather more important election this year. Biden's latest gaffe.

Apparently he is now a black woman. Completely incoherent. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/biden-kamala-harris-black-woman-president-gaffe-b2574597.html

Look I want him to be incontrovertibly senile and moved out of Kamala's way, but he is just stumbling over the point that he was VP to a black man and now has a black woman as VP. Let's not exaggerate.
    edited July 5
    Foxy said:

Now that’s a bit naughty
    It is. She is a broken woman. Everything she has ever wanted politically has crumbled into dust.

Oh come on. That's a cheeky running joke from Farron based on Truss's Lib Dem past, and nothing more. If you're a politician and you're affected by that, you're most certainly in the wrong career.

At every election, a load of political careers end, or are at least very significantly set back. If you're giving a victory speech, you can be magnanimous etc. But you want to win and it means your opponent losing by definition. Truss or any other ex-MP can go and have a nice holiday and get on with the rest of their lives. Worse things happen at sea and it's the nature of the business.

Plus the old girl will always be an ex-PM, albeit with an asterisk. That'll get her a damned sight better table at the restaurant than, say, an unsuccessful Lib Dem ex-leader at the nadir of the party's fortunes.
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,601

Eabhal said:

Big shout out to Robert.

We had over 5,000 comments in the 12 hours after the exit poll came out and the PB servers coped.

And to you, impressed by the number of threads you spammed out overnight and the efficient closure of comments.
    Last night was the fourth general election night I edited PB.

I am getting the hang of things.
    You did a top job. My LD colleagues were impressed at the quality and speed of the updates I was able to give them.
    Hello Rochdale

Hope you enjoyed the campaign and thanks for keeping us posted! 👍
    Stockton, Redcar and Middlesborough/Cleveland along with Darlington were all above par efforts even if only one a hold, very close to a cluster of seats in Houchen land
    Sir John Curtice:

The Tories lost it, rather than Labour won it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c2x0g8nkzmzo
    Chris said:

IanB2 said:

Didn't Basildon used to have a Nazi MP? The one who opened a bondage emporium when he was ousted from parliament.
    You're straying into the realms of libel and slander here, and the former MP in question has successfully sued.
    Chris said:

IanB2 said:

Sorry - I was wrong, it was a shirt shop.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,880
    So after some early thought they might not be too far off 1997 the LD successes in the South have meant the Tories are not too far off the upper end of my expected range of 115.

I'll cling to that due to be so wrong about SNP seats, here's hoping they don't get into double figures. Alba, well, what need be said?

Reform disappointed in some ways but they got a handful in and the Tories need to crush them or absorb them to get back inside a generation.

LDs made FPTP work for them, showing they at last get the system they hate.

Greens also proved themselves in seats and voteshare. I'm sure Lucas was fine but she was a sideshow. Now they are a force.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 47,969

Scott_xP said:

Still, the political prospects for Liz Truss are much better than for Scottish nationalism.

This, surely, was an opportunity for Sturgeon to admit some responsibility for the state of Scotland and the anger of an electorate let down by her government. Humility, however, is not a trait that comes easily to the former first minister. When Joanna Cherry, who had just lost her Edinburgh seat, said that the policy failings of Sturgeon’s government, the lack of debate within the party and Sturgeon’s style of leadership had contributed to the SNP’s defeat, Sturgeon only smiled thinly and shook her head. “Often you find in these kind of positions you are neither the hero or the villain,” she said. “Of course I take my share of responsibility, but to say it is all my fault is too easy a solution.”

What, then, was her solution? “Look,” she said, “it’s never a mistake that the party of independence puts that front and central in their campaign. Not enough though has been given to make the case and win over the undecided and the strategy to deliver.”

Independence, she added, had not gone away, and “it would be a great mistake to think this election result has killed it off”. In other words, if you find yourself in a hole, keep digging.

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/scotland/article/nicola-sturgeons-night-of-humiliation-98k9kljbg
    My highlight of last night was her face when the exit poll came out.

That's a woman thinking, "We used to need a 50 seater coach to transport our MPs around, now we could do it in a decent sized campervan... I wish I had one."
    A Vauxhall Zafira and a Corsa would suffice.
    Sadly, it seems that the maximum configuration for the Niesmann + Bischoff ‘iSmove’ is 5 seats with seatbelts etc.

Good to see all the counts done overnight now. I recall only a few elections ago there was talk of moving to counting the following day and indeed many counts were done so.

👍

We're lucky in that we're a country where it's practical to have the election, count the votes, and (most of the time...) know the winner by six the next morning. No mucking about, job jobbed. IMV the longer the election process - I'm looking at you, US Presidential elections - the more the chances of chicanery and chaos.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,497
    Mr. F, there's a difference, though, in that encouraging Reform to grow provides a rival to the Conservatives. Is that something they want in the long term?

I feel dirty, I agree with bad Al Campbell.

Starmer and Reeves have to go for planning reform, to go for growth, and they have a mandate for it.

If they do, they'll get growth and they'll have done the right thing.

If they don't, the UK will continue to languish.

They will use the massive landslide to do some bad or stupid stuff. Hopefully they'll also use it for something good and transformative like this, it causes so many additional issues.

Mr. F, there's a difference, though, in that encouraging Reform to grow provides a rival to the Conservatives. Is that something they want in the long term?

Labour has learned to adapt to a left wing rival (the Lib Dems), that can win in seats they can't win in. The Conservatives can do the same.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 6,637
    Foxy said:

Chris said:

Nunu5 said:

Gaza obviously matters to a significant segment of the population, not by any means all Muslim, but I think there is more to it than that. There is a feeling (very much like Red wall Reform voters) that Labour has taken them for granted for far too long and failed to invest in their communities. The two have a lot in common.
    I mentioned earlier an anecdote on ITV from Anushka Asthana. She went to the Muslim Wall seats during the campaign - by the way, I remember near-zero coverage from the main media about these seats. And she said that although Gaza was a key issue, the two-child benefits cap came up very often. Now, that all being said, in places like Knowsley and Bootle, you saw a distributed Green/Reform gain rather than a surge for one particular independent from the most vocal religious group.
  • Now is the time to build, they have a massive majority.

Planning reform is essential.

No limits on phone masts in urban areas.

Sir John Curtice:

The Tories lost it, rather than Labour won it:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c2x0g8nkzmzo

That's been my view for well over a year. That Labour were heading for a stonking majority, and that SKS was uninspiring.

(Cue Leon mode)
    I WAS RIGHT !!!!!

Aliens! Woke! AI!
    (/cue Leon mode)

Sorry, I didn't stop Leon mode soon enough... ;)

Now is the time to build, they have a massive majority.

The top of Buckingham Palace would be perfect

Stockton, Redcar and Middlesborough/Cleveland along with Darlington were all above par efforts even if only one a hold, very close to a cluster of seats in Houchen land

Rod Liddle got almost 2,000 votes for the SDP in Middlesborough South & East Cleveland. Their best result was 2,000 votes and third place in Doncaster North.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,534

Free phone masts for all.
    So I've struck two private bets with friends in the world of politics/polling.

Labour to be polling in fourth place with a BPC registered pollster in a Westminster VI poll in the next 18 months (excluding any by Matt Goodwin)

Nigel Farage will not serve a full term as MP.

The morning after the 2019 GE I struck a very great bet with one of these people that Boris Johnson's tenure as PM would be shorter than Dave's.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,806
    MikeL said:

So 121 Con MPs - which means 41 needed to make the Leadership Final 2. (40 would guarantee 2nd=).

@HYUFD - have you done an analysis yet re who will make the Final?

Has Braverman got the numbers?

I think Barclay or Cleverly are the likeliest contenders to be next leader, I don't think Tory MPs will put Braverman in the last 2 and her former campaign manager Steve Barclay lost his seat
  • Eabhal said:

The top of Buckingham Palace would be perfect
    Actually would be a good spot to be honest.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 47,969
    RobD said:

Free phone masts for all.
    Mandatory phone mast on every school!
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,352

Worth capturing the moment

Foxy said:

Now that’s a bit naughty

Oh come on. That's a cheeky running joke from Farron based on Truss's Lib Dem past, and nothing more. If you're a politician and you're affected by that, you're most certainly in the wrong career.

At every election, a load of political careers end, or are at least very significantly set back. If you're giving a victory speech, you can be magnanimous etc. But you want to win and it means your opponent losing by definition. Truss or any other ex-MP can go and have a nice holiday and get on with the rest of their lives. Worse things happen at sea and it's the nature of the business.

Plus the old girl will always be an ex-PM, albeit with an asterisk. That'll get her a damned sight better table at the restaurant than, say, an unsuccessful Lib Dem ex-leader at the nadir of the party's fortunes.
    I can have compassion for Truss up to a point. Her removal as PM was brutal and her successor did no better, and initially she handled it with some impressive dignity.

But rebranding as some kind of economic guru with Trumpian tendencies was her own choice later and compounded her humiliation.
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

(Tell me to feck off if you don't want to answer, heck tell me to feck off if you do want to answer.)

Also, feck off.
    And I mean that nicely. Feck off to bed. You must be knackered.
    I went to bed between 6.15am and 10am.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,534
    Jonathan said:

Worth capturing the moment

What if Charles doesn’t offer to kiss hands? ;)
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,651

Farooq said:

Except they'll be defending 19 yrs in Govt! They've not long to float the ferries, dual the roads, and transform education.

And it's not evident that, say, replacing Swinney with Forbes will help much. She was very prominent as deputy fm during the campaign. Mind, you do wonder what would have happened if they'd stuck with Humza.
  • Keir Starmer's plan for his first 100 days in government

- Diplomatic push at Nato and EPC meeting
    - Planning reform blitz
    - Push for private investment
    - Lifting ban on onshore wind
    - Sue Gray has "20 bills" for King's Speech

https://x.com/PronouncedAlva/status/1809164454866591978
    Can Keir make it to August 22 and Lettuce Day?
  • Also, I would not be surprised if a lot of railway contracts/franchises hand back the keys early.
This discussion has been closed.