Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

This is bad for Badenoch – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,060
edited July 4 in General
imageThis is bad for Badenoch – politicalbetting.com

Kemi Badenoch may be unable to stand in a future Conservative leadership contest because of delays in sending out postal votes in her constituency ??https://t.co/uj93BKLkyb

Read the full story here

Comments

• DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    First!!!!
    This article of course assumes there is an immediate vacancy. Not an issue yet.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,451
    edited July 3
    Second...class...like the mail the postal votes were sent by.

Second...class...like the mail the postal votes were sent by.

I see what you did there.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,946
    It also means if she narrowly lost in a wipeout scenario she could get a second munch
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,692
    What's the concern here?

That the Tories would elect a new leader before the by-election, or that Badenoch wouldn't win a by-election?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,646

It also means if she narrowly lost in a wipeout scenario she could get a second munch

Gerry Malone waves hello.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,383
    Chris said:

What's the concern here?

That the Tories would elect a new leader before the by-election, or that Badenoch wouldn't win a by-election?

The former, is my reading.
    On a wider front, how many seats are going to be up for a legal challenge due to postal vote delays?
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,131
    DougSeal said:

If Sunak loses the GE, he'll be running his own VC firm in silicon Valley by the end of the year.

Voters don't like being told you got it wrong.
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 3
    On Topic: Replay in August?

By when no.1 in the chart will be the Chairman of Royal Mail singing "Tomorrow Belongs to Me"

Jokes apart, this could be a grade 1 scandal. My relative in Somerset still hasn't got their postal ballot.

malcolmg said:

guybrush said:

It takes some nerve to suggest tax rises will be an issue under Labour when income taxes under the blue team are now at a record high.

Personally, I would happily take the hit on my bank balance for good governance and less corruption.

For the 1000% time untrue.....unless you are on extremely rich. Lowest for 50 years if on average earnings.
    Certainly not if you are NOT rich but on above average earnings, tax is eye watering.
    They aren't at record highs for above average earnings. They are higher. For the very wealthy and big business is where a bulk of the direct tax hit has been and are up there at historic levels.

The problem is poor wage growth, high inflation, high interest rates, indirect taxation, means everybody is feeling much poor(er).
    You say these things like they are unrelated.

Putting taxes to record levels on businesses etc suppresses both wages and growth.
    No I am not. It is also why I am not that convinced Starmer has a great plan to get growth.
    You’re right but worth rolling the dice. Got nowt to lose.
    I think Rachael Reeves is a decent candidate for chancellor. But I haven't seen anything that screams how to get this magical growth and the concern is the party will want to drag Starmer leftward. I can't see him for instance ever getting rid of the £100k a year cliff edge, you can do that without giving the rich a free pass, but it would boost productivity.

Blair had headroom for tax rises and actually a lot of his cabinet weren't that left anyway.
    If he was clever he could get rid of the 45p tax and all the cliff edges and make the inheritance tax limit £500k (incorpodating residence allowance) and throw a bit of red meat to the backbenches in return (like five new council tax bands for mansions and 50p inheritance tax on value of estates over £2 million, knowing that getting rid of the 45p tax band and all the cliff edges cost more than they bring in.

The mail and telegraph comments from both their columnists would be epic. Better than Leon stuck on a ferry and accidentally locked in the bar store.
    There is a whole load of crap that has been built up in the system that is primed for reform. And of course you could do the thing that should have been done ages ago, combine NI+IC. You could even get more tax out of it.

The problem is there will be winner and losers from changes and we seem to be stuck in this mode you really can't have that these days (unless its the very rich losing). It why the Tories didn't take any decisive steps to sort out cliff edges.
    Indeed. I make a fair bit of money out of Tax + NI being different, because part of my pay is a one off bonus.

Most of it only gets taxed at a marginal rate of 22% (instead of 28% now or 32% previously).

20% income tax. Plus 2% National Insurance, because that is done monthly (or weekly if weekly paid) not yearly, so virtually all the bonus is above the higher rate threshold for that month so gets taxed at 2%.

Additional pension voluntary contributions ensure I'm not in the 40% tax band, which in your 50s amount to a savings plan that is tax exempt going both in and out.
    Chris said:

What's the concern here?

Both.

The special election court for Oldham East & Saddleworth made their decision six months after the 2010 election, Phil Woolas went down the appellate route which delayed things and the by election took place eight months after the general election.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,232
    Barclay is more likely next Tory leader than Badenoch in my view, with Tory MPs putting Tugendhat with him to members. On Badenoch's seat, if a postal vote is postmarked as sent before polling day it should be included

On a wider front, how many seats are going to be up for a legal challenge due to postal vote delays?

At least 45 constituencies are affected by postal delays, including Braintree in Essex, where James Cleverly, the home secretary, is standing. Grant Shapps has also raised concerns about postal voting delays in his Welwyn Hatfield constituency in Hertfordshire, where he is defending a majority of 11,000.
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077
    edited July 3
    One of the things that happens in a sea-change election is the time it takes for the penny to drop, and I’m not referring to the soon-to-be-ex member for Portsmouth North.

In 48 hours the Conservatives will cease to be relevant in British politics.

It may interest some on here who next leads them but it will have no relevance for this country. For whoever is chosen by the party faithful will lead them to another crushing defeat.

Look to the leader after the leader after the next leader. That’s the one who ‘may’ be relevant again for this country and not before.

The country is voting for Change. Bye-Bye tories for a generation.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,678
    HYUFD said:

Barclay is more likely next Tory leader than Badenoch in my view, with Tory MPs putting Tugendhat with him to members. On Badenoch's seat, if a postal vote is postmarked as sent before polling day it should be included

How? Once the counting has begun and the return made, that's it.

Of course, we could get rid of election night counts. But waiting three weeks for Royal Mail to get its finger out seems excessive.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,439
    Big changes in the past 24 hours in the Democrat Nomination market Stateside: Biden now only 49% chance, as Dem-leaning media are going after him and many of his own team are now leaking like a sieve.

• bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,294
    HYUFD said:

But you’d then have to delay the count until the Monday after while you wait for the postal votes to finish arriving!
  • eekeek Posts: 27,578
    edited July 3

potentially a few. There will be obvious ones such as North West Essex where they weren't sent out in time but it's probably possible to claim a problem in any constituency where the majority is less than unreturned postal votes...

And those by-elections will be fun to watch...
    As I posted on here yesterday, some councils are worried that postal vote returns are at historically low levels but while that could be due to the post it is more likely due to postal voters sitting it out imo.

I assume every council will be logging the number of requests they are getting for 'my postal vote hasn't arrived'; there are ways and means of dealing with most of those. What can never be know AFAIK is how many got lost in the post back to the council.

Since returns are more likely to be delayed than lost, what is to stop the council keeping all the late returns and checking to see if they would have affected the outcome... and only having a re-run if the winner would have bee changed had all the postal votes arrived back in time?
    Also, isn't she the minister responsible for the Royal Mail?
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,181
    Heathener said:

One of the things that happens in a sea-change election is the time it takes for the penny to drop, and I’m not referring to the soon-to-be-ex member for Portsmouth North.

It may interest some on here who next leads them but it will have no relevance for this country. For whoever is chosen by the party faithful will lead them to another crushing defeat.

Look to the leader after the leader after the next leader. That’s the one who ‘may’ be relevant again for this country and not before.

I wish I shared your optimism.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,637
    Apparently there are about 2600 votes that were sent out late due to a council cockup.

Last time, Badenoch's majority was 27000. If it's close enough for Kemi B to be in any sort of doubt, there won't be much of a Conservative party to lead.

At least 45 constituencies are affected by postal delays, including Braintree in Essex, where James Cleverly, the home secretary, is standing. Grant Shapps has also raised concerns about postal voting delays in his Welwyn Hatfield constituency in Hertfordshire, where he is defending a majority of 11,000.
    At least 45 constiuencies are *known to be* affected by postal vote delays...
    edited July 3

Heathener said:

The next Conservative Prime Minister is almost certainly not yet an MP.

Starmer, Cameron, Blair . . . for the past half a century every new PM who has brought their party back into Downing Street was not yet an MP when the party lost office.
    Absolutely right.

We don’t often see eye-to-eye but you’re spot on.

HYUFD said:

But you’d then have to delay the count until the Monday after while you wait for the postal votes to finish arriving!
    Which risks a US style fiasco
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,636
    DougSeal said:

If the Tories/Sunak are sensible, he will stay on while they sort out where their party goes in the aftermath, and enabling a good amount of time for an autumn leadership election. It won't be fun for Sunak at the despatch box, but the alternative of plunging straight into a rushed and divisive leadership vote without letting the dust settle on the GE would be foolish.
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    rkrkrk said:

DougSeal said:

If Sunak loses the GE, he'll be running his own VC firm in silicon Valley by the end of the year.
    Thing about running your own VC firm is the punters need to think you're a good person to entrust their C to. Would you? It's more likely he will fail upwards to a Cleggy type position where a megacorp will pay him a lorra millions as a trophy.

ydoethur said:

Also, isn't she the minister responsible for the Royal Mail?

Yup. Minister for the post office too.

Imagine not voting for the Lib Dems because Sir Ed Davey was Post Office Minister a decade ago but happy to vote Tory after they gave Paula Vennells a gong.
    I was thinking more if the RM have cocked things up, it's her fault.

Although if I read the header aright the local council are the ones who've messed up here.
    The brave don't wait for the final MRPs...... WOOLIES FINAL CALL
    LABOUR 399 (38%)
    CONSERVATIVE 134 (26%)
    LD 38 (11%)
    SNP 20 (3%)
    SF 6
    DUP 6
    REFORM 5 (13%)
    PC 3
    GREEN 3 (5%)
    INDEPENDENTS 3 (corbyn, yakoob, iqbal in Dewsbury)
    ALLIANCE 2
    SDLP 2
    UUP 2
    WORKERS GB 2 (more than 225,000 total votes)

LABOUR MAJORITY 148

SDP will get over 75,000 votes, 0 seats
  • Tories seats in this election. One third of what they currently have to 165 max. So say 144 may be about right. 65 for the Lib Dems. 410 Labour and then the others.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,838
    edited July 3
    HYUFD said:

That's not the rule. We are not California.

Postal votes have to be recieved (not postmarked) by the end of the day on July 4th.

It is wrong to change the rules mid election.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,999
    The first vulture has started picking at the corpse of the Conservative Party:

“Thursday’s vote is now all about forming a strong enough opposition,” she writes.

One needs to read the writing on the wall: it’s over, and we need to prepare for the reality and frustration of opposition.”

Braverman blames the situation on a fracture within the Conservative Party resulting from a rise in Nigel Farage’s Reform UK.

It is notable that Labour’s vote share has not markedly increased in recent weeks, but our vote is evaporating from both Left and Right.

The critics will cite Boris (Johnson), Liz (Truss), Rwanda, and, I can immodestly predict, even me as all being fatal to our ‘centrist’ vote.

The reality is rather different: we are haemorrhaging votes largely to Reform. Why? Because we failed to cut immigration or tax or deal with the net zero and woke policies we have presided over for 14 years.

We may lose hundreds of excellent MPs because of our abject inability to have foreseen this inevitability months ago: that our failure to unite the Right would destroy us.”

Braverman says the Tories need “a searingly honest post-match analysis”, “because the fight for the soul of the Conservative Party will determine whether we allow Starmer a clear run at destroying our country for good or having a chance to redeem it in due course.

“Indeed, it will decide whether our party continues to exist at all.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2024/jul/03/uk-general-election-2024-live-updates-tories-labour-polls-boris-johnson?filterKeyEvents=false&page=with:block-6684f3658f08b8c654ee3a51#block-6684f3658f08b8c654ee3a51
    HYUFD said:

You know that PVs have to arrive before close of polls to be counted.

I doubt it will be a big issue, unless the result there really is on a knifeedge. The balance of PVs won't be hugely different from the on-the-day votes.
    IanB2 said:

DougSeal said:

It won't be fun for Sunak at the despatch box
    That’s pessimistic of you for a LibDem supporter … ;)
    IanB2 said:

DougSeal said:

If the Tories/Sunak are sensible, he will stay on while they sort out where their party goes in the aftermath, and enabling a good amount of time for an autumn leadership election. It won't be fun for Sunak at the despatch box, but the alternative of plunging straight into a rushed and divisive leadership vote without letting the dust settle on the GE would be foolish.
    I can see a slight issue with this....
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,152
    DougSeal said:

After the Cameron to May handover was foreshortened by voluntary withdrawals, perhaps Rishi will be encouraged to remain leader until close to conference in October.

As I posted on here yesterday, some councils are worried that postal vote returns are at historically low levels but while that could be due to the post it is more likely due to postal voters sitting it out imo.

I assume every council will be logging the number of requests they are getting for 'my postal vote hasn't arrived'; there are ways and means of dealing with most of those. What can never be know AFAIK is how many got lost in the post back to the council.

Since returns are more likely to be delayed than lost, what is to stop the council keeping all the late returns and checking to see if they would have affected the outcome... and only having a re-run if the winner would have bee changed had all the postal votes arrived back in time?

The figures quoted overnight didn't look unusually low? Nowadays a lot of people like to take their PVs to the polling station on the day.
    FF43 said:

The first vulture has started picking at the corpse of the Conservative Party

Please withdraw that wicked slur on vultures. They are useful creatures who do a valuable job of work removing carrion that might otherwise cause a health hazard.

Braverman is, er, not...
    Nigelb said:

They've actually gone for Vote Conservative or the Kitten Gets it
    https://x.com/AdamBienkov/status/1808262231735321027

Followed by a consituency map showing correlation between constituencies with Labour MPs and outbreaks of hair lice?
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,178
    Start of today's Wiki 18 pollster average was still: Lab 40.2, Con 20.3 - not much move in the last 2 weeks.

With a few polls added so far this morning, we are at: Con 20.6, Lab 39.9, LD 11.2, Ref 16.3, Grn 6.1

Maybe 39-21 by close of business tonight? I don't expect much more than that.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,670
    Only the Tory media strategy can save Badenoch!

If you vote LibDem, Starmer will eat your cute puppy or cuter kitten.

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1808385238655025546

He will! CR sez so!
  • The brave don't wait for the final MRPs...... WOOLIES FINAL CALL
    LABOUR 399 (38%)
    CONSERVATIVE 134 (26%)
    LD 38 (11%)
    SNP 20 (3%)
    SF 6
    DUP 6
    REFORM 5 (13%)
    PC 3
    GREEN 3 (5%)
    ALLIANCE 2
    SDLP 2
    UUP 2

LABOUR MAJORITY 148

Very good prediction. Lib Dems may do better.

What can never be know AFAIK is how many got lost in the post back to the council.

Anyone who wants to check can nip down the Town Hall and ask to inspect the record of which postal votes came back and which didn't. And the political parties can buy a copy of the complete list, if they want to do ther own checking of members and supporters.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,529

And what a by election that was. I have so many stories from it. It was tremendous fun. We were all invited in for the declaration by the police and also entertainment provided by Screaming Lord Such at the party afterwards.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,489
    Think the Conservatives have bigger problems if Saffron Walden is within a thousand votes
    ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

Please withdraw that wicked slur on vultures. They are useful creatures who do a valuable job of work removing carrion that might otherwise cause a health hazard.

Braverman is, er, not...
    She is damaging her wing of the party ;)
    kjh said:

And what a by election that was. I have so many stories from it. It was tremendous fun. We were all invited in for the declaration by the police and also entertainment provided by Screaming Lord Such at the party afterwards.
    Please share them.

LABOUR 399 (38%)
    CONSERVATIVE 134 (26%)
    LD 38 (11%)
    SNP 20 (3%)
    SF 6
    DUP 6
    REFORM 5 (13%)
    PC 3
    GREEN 3 (5%)
    ALLIANCE 2
    SDLP 2
    UUP 2

LABOUR MAJORITY 148

Very credible - and would be a disappointment for the LibDems, despite achieving their objective of regaining third party status, given how much these MRP forecasts have pumped up their predictions of a yellow tsunami.

Apparently there are about 2600 votes that were sent out late due to a council cockup.

Last time, Badenoch's majority was 27000. If it's close enough for Kemi B to be in any sort of doubt, there won't be much of a Conservative party to lead.

'...sent out late...'

How late? Are there rules about when they need to be sent out?

(As an aside, this is another argument for FTPA.)
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,942
    Heathener said:

You cannot possibly know that. Who thought at Christmas 2019 that labour would be on the cusp of a huge majority just 4 and a half years later?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,982
    FF43 said:

“Thursday’s vote is now all about forming a strong enough opposition,” she writes.

One needs to read the writing on the wall: it’s over, and we need to prepare for the reality and frustration of opposition.”

Braverman blames the situation on a fracture within the Conservative Party resulting from a rise in Nigel Farage’s Reform UK.

It is notable that Labour’s vote share has not markedly increased in recent weeks, but our vote is evaporating from both Left and Right.

The critics will cite Boris (Johnson), Liz (Truss), Rwanda, and, I can immodestly predict, even me as all being fatal to our ‘centrist’ vote.

The reality is rather different: we are haemorrhaging votes largely to Reform. Why? Because we failed to cut immigration or tax or deal with the net zero and woke policies we have presided over for 14 years.

We may lose hundreds of excellent MPs because of our abject inability to have foreseen this inevitability months ago: that our failure to unite the Right would destroy us.”

Braverman says the Tories need “a searingly honest post-match analysis”, “because the fight for the soul of the Conservative Party will determine whether we allow Starmer a clear run at destroying our country for good or having a chance to redeem it in due course.

I'm pretty confident in saying there's zero chance of that happening.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,405
    ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

Braverman is, er, not...
    Attacking her party leader and campaign before polls close will be seen as extraordinarily bad form, whatever her intention or private view. I can only assume she fears a defeat (despite her seat looking reasonably safe?) and wants to get on the record while she's still a 'someone'?
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,178
    On topic: Badenoch should be making serious representations to the cabinet minister with overview of Royal Mail if this nobbles her.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,294

LABOUR 399 (38%)
    CONSERVATIVE 134 (26%)
    LD 38 (11%)
    SNP 20 (3%)
    SF 6
    DUP 6
    REFORM 5 (13%)
    PC 3
    GREEN 3 (5%)
    ALLIANCE 2
    SDLP 2
    UUP 2

LABOUR MAJORITY 148

I think you’re delusional over Workers Party/Gaza-focused independents!
    Heathener said:

That has already happened. With respect to the Sunak / @Casino_Royale tantrum about tax, nobody at all is listening. Nobody. The party has lost all credibility to be able to attack anybody on tax and spend. The reason why the polls haven't moved is because the Tory campaign has been gaff after gaff after gaff, and has now reduced itself to pleeeeeeaase don't let Keir Starmer fuck and then eat your puppy.

Cease to be relevant in 48 hours? Once this is over and this election becomes something that people study in the decades to come, the question will be at which point did the Tories cease to be relevant.

I'm going with the Truss budget.
    IanB2 said:

What can never be know AFAIK is how many got lost in the post back to the council.

Anyone who wants to check can nip down the Town Hall and ask to inspect the record of which postal votes came back and which didn't. And the political parties can buy a copy of the complete list, if they want to do ther own checking of members and supporters.
    I did not know that. Does that mean that, for example, I could check if my father-in-law voted? Seem a bit intrusive and counter to secret ballots.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,037

Not many given the average majority size.

A lot of fiery talk at present, it will be interesting to see how big a problem there actually proves to have been. Hopefully not as much as the worst predictions.
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,676

Heathener said:

Starmer, Cameron, Blair . . . for the past half a century every new PM who has brought their party back into Downing Street was not yet an MP when the party lost office.
    I’m old enough to remember people saying that about Labour in the long ago era of 2021.
    IanB2 said:

The figures quoted overnight didn't look unusually low? Nowadays a lot of people like to take their PVs to the polling station on the day.
    What am I missing here? What's the point of taking your postal vote to the polling station rather than voting in person?
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,523

'...sent out late...'

Two-thirds of the elections held during the era of the FTPA were years earlier than stipulated by law. Arguably the FTPA would make the situation worse, by creating an expectation of Parliaments running to term.

Councils should be ready for an election at all times.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,560
    biggles said:

Heathener said:

I’m old enough to remember people saying that about Labour in the long ago era of 2021.
    It must only be three or four years ago that we were discussing which Labour MPs were going to defect to the Conservatives...

I do place *some* of the blame for the Conservative's travails on Covid. Just some, and far from all. It just has not been a pleasant five years, and I do wonder how many incumbents of democracies have suffered, and are suffering, because of its political effects.

LABOUR 399 (38%)
    CONSERVATIVE 134 (26%)
    LD 38 (11%)
    SNP 20 (3%)
    SF 6
    DUP 6
    REFORM 5 (13%)
    PC 3
    GREEN 3 (5%)
    ALLIANCE 2
    SDLP 2
    UUP 2

LABOUR MAJORITY 148

I think you’re delusional over Workers Party/Gaza-focused independents!
    It's stretching it, I know, but I'm allowing a bit of room for that protest vote. I'm pretty relaxed about being way off base
    edited July 3

Heathener said:

That has already happened. With respect to the Sunak / @Casino_Royale tantrum about tax, nobody at all is listening. Nobody. The party has lost all credibility to be able to attack anybody on tax and spend. The reason why the polls haven't moved is because the Tory campaign has been gaff after gaff after gaff, and has now reduced itself to pleeeeeeaase don't let Keir Starmer fuck and then eat your puppy.

Cease to be relevant in 48 hours? Once this is over and this election becomes something that people study in the decades to come, the question will be at which point did the Tories cease to be relevant.

Yes I do in a way agree with you.

However, as of right now they are still the Government, still have the Prime Minister, other ministers in position, and they still hold a significant part of the media narrative - at least with the old school MSM.

Ontologically it takes time for people to shift. We’ve been used to a Conservative Gov’t in one form or other for 14 years. Now we are about to enter an equally long, or longer, Labour one (sorry @turbotubbs ). The shift from blue to red is about to happen but we’re not quite there yet.

That’s all I meant.

You’re right of course too. It’s just a question of time.
  • Only the Tory media strategy can save Badenoch!

He will! CR sez so!

I have been thinking of a few places to hide away your way. Where would pick from my list. Forest of Bowland.The hills near Great Harwood, Ramsbottom, Around Clitheroe. The glorious countryside near to Lancaster heading towards the Yorkshire border?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,423

Once this is over and this election becomes something that people study in the decades to come, the question will be at which point did the Tories cease to be relevant.

Brexit
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,940
    edited July 3
    Some councils sent out postal votes two weeks early others didn’t . Surely it should be the same time across the country .

Even if these missing postal votes are small in number it’s disgraceful that some voters will be disenfranchised.
    edited July 3

IanB2 said:

I did not know that. Does that mean that, for example, I could check if my father-in-law voted? Seem a bit intrusive and counter to secret ballots.
    Yes, who has voted and who has not is actually public information, although you are supposed to give a reason and the parties simply say "electoral purposes". You could certainly go in and check your own entry - they might look dimly if you wanted to check someone else without their permission, and that might, I guess, get refused as the Representation of the Peoples Act is specific about the reasons for accessing this data, and its candidates, registered parties and elected representatives that have priveleged rights of access.

I have always bought a copy of the "who's voted" list for every election I've stood in - it only costs about £15 or so. It's very useful information, allowing you to calibrate what people say to you on the doorstep and identifying those people who always vote and those who never bother. You'd be surprised how many people when canvassed insist they always vote a certain way, when I can see that they never vote at all, or conversely claim to be completely disinterested in politics and determined non-voters, when I can see that they voted last time. Or people who come to you wanting casework done and introduce themselves by saying "I voted for you last time!" when I can see that they didn't vote at all!

If there's a concern about the PVs after this election, in a close result, getting the list will be the first thing the party agent does.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,578

He will! CR sez so!

I have been thinking of a few places to hide away your way. Where would pick from my list. Forest of Bowland.The hills near Great Harwood, Ramsbottom, Around Clitheroe. The glorious countryside near to Lancaster heading towards the Yorkshire border?
    I think you've confused him with someone who doesn't live north of Aberdeen...
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,423
    Any talk of Richi staying on as leader assumes he keeps his seat...
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,982
    Pro_Rata said:

On topic: Badenoch should be making serious representations to the cabinet minister with overview of Royal Mail if this nobbles her.

It doesn't seem to be them responsible, according to the header:
    ..more than 2,600 postal ballots were not sent out in time because of a “human error”. The head of the local council said he is “mortified” by the mistake and will consider his position...
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405

IanB2 said:

DougSeal said:

I can see a slight issue with this....
    If genny lecs being called early was Sunak responding to an attempt to O'Grady him (and even if it wasn't) I foresee a repeat, with Sunak jumping on Friday morning before successor to O'Grady announcing he has enough letters for a VONC.
    FF43 said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2024/jul/03/uk-general-election-2024-live-updates-tories-labour-polls-boris-johnson?filterKeyEvents=false&page=with:block-6684f3658f08b8c654ee3a51#block-6684f3658f08b8c654ee3a51

So the best case for the Tories seems to be that they narrowly avoid an ELE... and spend the next 10-15 years wandering off into a right-wing wilderness.

Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

Heathener said:

You cannot possibly know that. Who thought at Christmas 2019 that labour would be on the cusp of a huge majority just 4 and a half years later?
    People always overreact, it's election season.

How long did it take the Canadian Tories to recover from wipeout in 1993? It took over a decade and a merger, but that's not that unusual a period out of office for us, and the Tories probably won't drop to single figures.

That's a political generation by some arguments, but Tories returning in 2-3 cycles could also just be, well, normal.
  • CJtheOptimistCJtheOptimist Posts: 274
    IanB2 said:

Why would people do that? Surely the reason for choosing a postal vote is because you can't /don't want to go to the polling station?
    Jonathan said:
    Love that. Sunak as a dogbox. Galloway "sold to Russia"

HYUFD said:

Mate, I give you 10 out of 10 for effort.

Your party called a snap election it wasn't ready for. Is running scare adverts that Starmer will eat your kitten. And is going to be taken down by the inability of your client vote (75+) being unable to have their postal votes counted because the country you govern is so broken that we can't even organise those properly.

There is a reason so many people want to grind the Tories into the dirt...
    Brilliant!

He will! CR sez so!

Bowland definitely. Beautiful, hidden, varied.

'...sent out late...'

Two-thirds of the elections held during the era of the FTPA were years earlier than stipulated by law. Arguably the FTPA would make the situation worse, by creating an expectation of Parliaments running to term.

Councils should be ready for an election at all times.
    A well run one is.
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,238
    Heathener said:

The dearly beloved BBC will ensure the Conservatives are still relevant. Even if the election results in 100 LibDems and 35 Tories (spoiler: not going to happen), an organisation that has employed Laura Kuenssberg, Andrew Neill and Rob Burley is not going to suddenly decide its future is in analysing centrism.

No, day after day they will report on the psychodrama of the Conservatives turning inwards on themselves as if it means something. And then it becomes self-fulfilling. If you keep talking about the Conservatives as if they're relevant, then people will, one day, vote Conservative again. It's more than they deserve, but BBC News is too addicted to the soap opera of it all to know any better.
    edited July 3

guybrush said:

It takes some nerve to suggest tax rises will be an issue under Labour when income taxes under the blue team are now at a record high.

Personally, I would happily take the hit on my bank balance for good governance and less corruption.

It doesn't take some nerve at all.

Let's consider an example, where tax starts out at a level of 100 and Party A is a low tax party and Party B is a high tax party:

1) Party A pledges to lower tax from 100 to 90
    2) Party A experiences two big black swan events and interest rates spike so actually raises tax to 115 to cover the debt and at the same time people are hit in the wallet by inflation
    3) Party B stays quiet on specifics but makes clear it is still interested in higher tax on the right things and people
    4) Party A pledges that it would like to lower tax back down to 105 in the medium-long term

That lots of supporters of Party A are angry doesn't mean that it isn't an issue when Party B comes along and further raises tax to 140.

If you want lower tax you should still rationally vote Party A over Party B, even if you're pissed off, and anything else is an emotional decision you'll later pay for with cold hard cash.
    The problem Casino that you refuse to acknowledge, and I'd have more faith in what you're saying if you'd at least acknowledge it, is that its not the black swan events that have caused our tax rises so much.

Typically a black swan event leads to a recession, mass unemployment and then countercyclical spending continuing after the recession. But we haven't had that this time, we're at full employment.

But despite being at full employment, with unemployment today lower than it was in 2010, we are spending more on welfare than we did in 2010 as a proportion of GDP.

Why is that? Its not because of unemployment, unemployment is low.

The Tories have ceased to be a party that wants to cut taxes, they've been taken over by people who want to ratchet up welfare but they call that welfare "the triple lock plus".

In the medium-long term, our taxes will only continue to rise under the Conservatives, until the Conservatives say enough is enough and we can not continue with the triple lock plus and ever higher, unfunded spending.
    I agree with Casino on the specific point. Neither party is honest about tax. There will need to be more of it. But if your concern is less tax ahead of everything else, you will get a smidgen less tax with the Conservatives than with Labour.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,439
    edited July 3

biggles said:

Heathener said:

It must only be three or four years ago that we were discussing which Labour MPs were going to defect to the Conservatives...

I do place *some* of the blame for the Conservative's travails on Covid. Just some, and far from all. It just has not been a pleasant five years, and I do wonder how many incumbents of democracies have suffered, and are suffering, because of its political effects.
    Incumbents pretty much everywhere in the Western world are in trouble, because events of the past five years have totally screwed public finances and inflation has led to cost of living issues. Voters don’t feel better off than they were at the last election, quite the opposite in many cases.

Heathener said:

Too many to choose from.

I'm going for Partygate.
    kle4 said:

Heathener said:

People always overreact, it's election season.

I was accused of that over 2 years ago on here when I insisted that a Labour landslide was coming.

Some people are seriously underestimating the visceral loathing of the current Conservatives. I’ve also fallen into the trap these past few weeks, probably by spending too long on here rather than out and about.

They trashed their reputation for economic competence (or any competence) and that won’t return for a generation.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,321
    Sandpit said:

biggles said:

Heathener said:

Incumbents pretty much everywhere in the Western world are in trouble, because events of the past five years have totally screwed public finances and inflation has led to cost of living issues. Voters don’t feel better off than they were at the last election, quite the opposite in many cases.
    No different to the GFC but Labour got the blame for that for nigh on 14 years.
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

That's not the rule. We are not California.

Postal votes have to be recieved (not postmarked) by the end of the day on July 4th.

It is wrong to change the rules mid election.
    Absolutely. I think that American rule is barmy myself, but various challenges to it in 2020 were fruitless because you cannot change the rules in the middle of the game. Our election officials certainly cannot decide such a thing.
  • Only the Tory media strategy can save Badenoch!

He will! CR sez so!

Bowland definitely. Beautiful, hidden, varied.
    It is a beautiful area.
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,159

IanB2 said:

Why would people do that? Surely the reason for choosing a postal vote is because you can't /don't want to go to the polling station?
    I applied for a permanent postal vote during Covid. As it happens, I made my mind up long ago and I'm going to be away tomorrow, so I posted it back about 10 days ago. However, if it was a closer election where I wanted to make a late decision, I might leave it to election day.

IanB2 said:

Some people select it for convenience and flexibility.
    edited July 3
    FF43 said:

IanB2 said:

What am I missing here? What's the point of taking your postal vote to the polling station rather than voting in person?
    Some people don't trust the post. Some people like the feeling of participation that going down the polls gives. Some people put the ballot behind the clock and only remember when it comes on the news that it's polling day. Some people want to see the whole campaign before making up their mind at the last minute. Some people never really wanted a postal vote but are stuck with one either because they applied for one once but mistakenly ticked the 'perpetual' box, or were pestered into getting one by their preferred political party. Some people have a PV because their working arrangements are variable and unpredictable, and only find out they'll be home on polling day nearer the time. Some people have forgotten about it and are reminded by political canvassers or knockers up who are calling on postal voters to remind them to vote. Etc.
    Anyway, before we write the Tories off, shouldn't we get an update from Casino on what's 'cutting through' on the doorstep / with my work colleagues?
    Scott_xP said:

Once this is over and this election becomes something that people study in the decades to come, the question will be at which point did the Tories cease to be relevant.

Brexit
    They won a majority of 80 in December 2019...
This discussion has been closed.