Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Some potential betting surprises on Thursday? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,878
edited July 4 in General
Some potential betting surprises on Thursday? – politicalbetting.com

NEW I'm hearing Labour officials are worried about a smattering of unexpected losses on polling day, even if they win big overall.Key vulnerabilities include Thangam Debbonaire, Shabana Mahmood, ex-Reeves aide Heather Iqbal, ex-Starmer aide Chris Ward.https://t.co/u4RjqbRWUk

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,387
    First
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 116,567
    edited June 30
    FPT
    Scott_xP said:

@Gabriel_Pogrund
    EXCL 🚨 Tory student group held black-tie dinner two weeks ago where members sang German marching song used by the Nazis in WW2

Warwick Uni Conservative Association sorry after dancing to “Erika” — used by SS and Wermacht and today white supremacists

https://x.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1807335824230396037

Always said Coventry University was a dump like the city, raze it to the ground.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,016
    edited June 30
    Third! Wonderfully, that could be the Tories next week.
  • Options
    Woop woop first cherry popped. It's a whole new world out there.
  • Options
    Who cares about a few Labour losses, if they have a humungous majority?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,345
    Maybe I am just not seeing it but I remain fairly confident the Tories will come second, albeit even further behind than they were in 2005. I think the Lib Dems will disappoint but will end up the third largest party ahead of the SNP who will be around 20. I expect Reform to get next to no seats, on a level with the Greens.

And I expect Labour to have a massive majority making losing power in 2029 difficult if not impossible in these more volatile times.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 29,696
    The most likely Lab loss is perhaps Sheffield Hallam to the LDs.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

FPT

Scott_xP said:

@Gabriel_Pogrund
    EXCL 🚨 Tory student group held black-tie dinner two weeks ago where members sang German marching song used by the Nazis in WW2

Warwick Uni Conservative Association sorry after dancing to “Erika” — used by SS and Wermacht and today white supremacists

Always said Coventry University was a dump like the city, raze it to the groud.
    You know who else tried to raze Coventry..
    Twinned with Rotterdam, for a reason.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,632
    edited June 30
    At what level of Tory seats would a merger with Reform be probable?

And at what level, a reverse takeover?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I live in the seats and the Lib Dems are throwing everything at it, I would have seen it as a potential gain if Laura Gordon was still the Lib Dem candidate.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 65,113
    ...indicates the country is pretty volatile when it comes to voting at general elections..

Confirms, rather than indicates.
    Volatility has been with us fir quite some time now.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,345

The fact that Hamas apologists don't want to vote Labour is a feature, not a bug.

Indeed, it is why millions of more centrist voters are either willing to vote Labour or quite relaxed about them winning. Starmer's positioning on this has been immaculate.
  • Options

That could gift the LibDems the Home Counties for a very long time.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,103
    @Benpointer FPT

Similar considerations here, Ben. I'm really glad I don't live just down the road and have to decide whether to oppose the excellent Alex Chalk in Cheltenham. No such problems with Lazy Laurence Robertson here in Tewkesbury, where the Yellow Diamonds continue to proliferate.

We took a trip out to Pershore last night and were surprised to see the same patterns there. I can just about buy Gloucestershire as a new Liberal fiefdom, but Worcestershire ffs? Not a Blue, Red, or Green flag in sight. I checked when I got home and the various sources confirmed my assumption that West Worcestershire is about as Tory as it gets. If you want to back The Peril you can get 33/1, no problem. Yet they definitely seem to be Trying There.

A misallocation of resources or something in the wind?

Not sure, but the local LDs are quite bullish about Tewkesbury, so I'm satisfied now that I didn't lead you guys astray when I put this up as a bet a couple of weeks ago.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,946
    If Labour come in under 40, especially if they are at Kellners 37, there will probably be a dozen or so at risk of indies, Galloway etc. 37% is not a dominant national polling figure and vulnerable to localised insurgency over issues. Local difficulties (Birmingham), very poor LE results (Oldham, Blackburn, Rochdale etc).
    I think there will be a dusting and at least one big shock.
    None of this will change the overall narrative
    I've been backing Yakoob to win since he announced.
  • Options

It's not happening, One Nation or Foaming Brexiteers, we believe in NATO, helping Ukraine and defeating Putin.

Reform are even bigger threats to national security than the CND.
  • Options
    Who will be the most geographically isolated (non scots) Tory MP? I reckon McVey in Tatton unless they pull off a miracle in Pembrokeshire
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,462
    Leicester East is an interesting one too. Don't under estimate the power of Vaz!
  • Options
    Saw my first Tory placard yesterday, hats off to Helen Grant in Maidstone.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Who will be the most geographically isolated (non scots) Tory MP? I reckon McVey in Tatton unless they pull off a miracle in Pembrokeshire

Whichever one wins their seat, obviously
    Well played sir
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Rochdale to Gorgeous George
  • Options
    Conservatives Delenda Est week is under way.
  • Options

FPT

Scott_xP said:

@Gabriel_Pogrund

Always said Coventry University was a dump like the city, raze it to the ground.
    Perhaps the Luftwaffe should pay another visit, this time by invitation.
  • Options
    Farage didn't get an apology from the BBC.

So he is going on Sky and GB news instead. Ie not frit. Just boycotting the (so-called) BBC
  • Options

FPT

Scott_xP said:

@Gabriel_Pogrund

They haven't taken up the longstanding invitation to Slough yet.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,550

So he is going on Sky and GB news instead. Ie not frit. Just boycotting the (so-called) BBC

The famously rigorous GB News? Lol.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,970
    “Even the greats such as Thatcher and Cameron lost only one to seat each when they took power in 1979 and 2010” — there’s an extraneous “to” there.

I don’t think we’ll see lots of these Labour losses to the left/Greens, but I think we’ll see a few. (I suppose I should define a few… 1-3.)

Thursday night is going to be very boring in the sense that we all know Starmer is the next PM, but there are lots of contests involving the minor parties that should provide entertainment. I don’t think it really matters to Labour if they lose a seat or 2 to the Greens, but it matters hugely to the Greens whether they win 0 seats, 1 seat or >1 seat. Ditto Reform UK. Plaid and Alliance numbers could also be consequential.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,892
    Foxy said:

Leicester East is an interesting one too. Don't under estimate the power of Vaz!

14/1 Bet365
  • Options
    Jess Phillips has been particularly emotional on twitter this week. Not sure if that's just Jess being Jess or if she's feeling the pressure in Yardley. I'm much much less convinced she's in any trouble than I was a few weeks ago but Birmingham is going to be odd, the Street results showed that, and the Pakistani/Bangladeshi polling (prior to Bengaligate) with a large representation in the city makes me wonder.
    I'm prepared to look far more stupid on that one than Yakoob who I think is at worst 50/50 to win
  • Options
    Farooq said:

And he's hoping to be treated more gently as a result of his Trumpian sulk with the BBC.
    The man is a giant baby.
    At Sky?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,632
    Tres said:

Saw a couple in Salisbury but still no Tory posters in North Dorset.
  • Options

Result!
  • Options

Jess Phillips has been particularly emotional on twitter this week. Not sure if that's just Jess being Jess or if she's feeling the pressure in Yardley. I'm much much less convinced she's in any trouble than I was a few weeks ago but Birmingham is going to be odd, the Street results showed that, and the Pakistani/Bangladeshi polling (prior to Bengaligate) with a large representation in the city makes me wonder.
    I'm prepared to look far more stupid on that one than Yakoob who I think is at worst 50/50 to win

A few constiutency polls with Galloways lot as a named party rather than other would be useful
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,541

The fact that Hamas apologists don't want to vote Labour is a feature, not a bug.

The key voters in this election are the several million strong corps of usually Tory voters who will give Labour 1 vote by voting Reform or staying at home, or 2 votes by voting Labour.

If Labour gave houseroom for 10 seconds to the pro Hamas brigade, those several million votes would coalesce around voting Tory to keep them out. There are literally 200 seats at stake over this wholly negative issue, over which the UK government has no power.
  • Options

If Labour come in under 40, especially if they are at Kellners 37, there will probably be a dozen or so at risk of indies, Galloway etc. 37% is not a dominant national polling figure and vulnerable to localised insurgency over issues. Local difficulties (Birmingham), very poor LE results (Oldham, Blackburn, Rochdale etc).

How much will his previous comments have hurt him: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/24/birmingham-election-candidate-akhmed-yakoob-apologises-for-deeply-disturbing-remarks-about-women ?
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,602

Highly unlikely, even with St David's Cathedral in the constituency. No miracles here. The Crabb will have to scurry away sideways.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

The key voters in this election are the several million strong corps of usually Tory voters who will give Labour 1 vote by voting Reform or staying at home, or 2 votes by voting Labour.

If Labour gave houseroom for 10 seconds to the pro Hamas brigade, those several million votes would coalesce around voting Tory to keep them out. There are literally 200 seats at stake over this wholly negative issue, over which the UK government has no power.
    We don't have any power over the Ukraine issue either. But dosen't stop them deluding themselves that it is still 1911.
  • Options

Highly unlikely, even with St David's Cathedral in the constituency. No miracles here. The Crabb will have to scurry away sideways.
    Agreed. Very unlikely but one of 4 they have (barely) more than 1% chance of in Wales
  • Options
    Farooq said:

It's not happening, One Nation or Foaming Brexiteers, we believe in NATO, helping Ukraine and defeating Putin.

Reform are even bigger threats to national security than the CND.
    For now.

If the defeat is a bad as some predict (not me), then a wholescale repudiation of policy is possible. Which policy areas survive and which are ditched depends on the composition of who's left (I have no idea) and how insane the membership truly are (uh oh).

A (further) lurch towards insular, nativist, fuck-business nationalism is easily imaginable. In my view, there's a higher risk of sensibles regretting their Conservative vote than sensibles regretting their Labour vote.
    Seems to me that the LibDems need to move further toward a business/middle-class friendly economic policy whilst hanging onto their liberalism and social progessiveness. If the Tories get pulled economically left and socially right by Reform, there's a clear gap in the market for sensible, practical yet progressive politics.
  • Options

How much will his previous comments have hurt him: https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/24/birmingham-election-candidate-akhmed-yakoob-apologises-for-deeply-disturbing-remarks-about-women ?
    That is true, but enough to change the result? I'm doubtful. We will see
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,826

Not Frit??? KGB News treats Farage like Candyfloss, while Sky tries not to mention his loathsome views on Ukraine and Russia.

He's just playing the Trump/MAGA anti media card. However I think we are wise to this now.
  • Options

Tres said:

Saw a couple in Salisbury but still no Tory posters in North Dorset.
    There's a field round here that has one.
  • Options

FPT

Scott_xP said:

@Gabriel_Pogrund

They haven't taken up the longstanding invitation to Slough yet.
    Too close to Windsor.

Be hell on if they hit their own family.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,502
    I can't really trust myself to predict anything. I know what I want to happen, and there are indications (to me) that it may happen, but who knows?
  • Options

A few constiutency polls with Galloways lot as a named party rather than other would be useful
    They've been pumping out rather selective 'based on doorstep convo' figures all week. You'll be amazed to hear they're looking very good
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,550
    Cheap talk from Labour here. If they win all these seats, nobody will say "they got those predictions wrong".
  • Options

maxh said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Anecdotally I don’t know anyone that is voting Tory. My friends and family are a very mixed group of right and left and probably half are Tories - or can be persuaded that way sometimes

Usually a few of them will admit this. Now none. I suppose one or two might be hiding it - must be - but that does concur with the polls. 20% could be what they get. Which is virtual wipeout?

🤞🙏

I know quite a few who will vote Tory, particularly Indian doctors, but also old school Tories like my uncle in Lake.

There are a lot of low information voters at a GE who don't see the polls etc.
    Fair enough. I do wonder how many Tories will crawl back to them at the end. eg my sister (really quite Tory) has gone awfully quiet. Usually she’s happy to tell us her vote (Tory). For the last year she’s been denouncing them

Now she’s all quiet. Hmmm. I suspect she’s reluctantly returning to the fold. If there are 2-3 million like her the Tories will be fine. Defeated but fine
    I voted Tory yesterday because I like and respect my local MP. Pure constituency vote though.
    This.

I think this will be more widespread than people realise, or the polls suggest. It's a very logical position for a committed Conservative (gives a 'liked and respected' base for the Tories to rebuild from, so I hope plenty of Tories do it).

I've bet accordingly, including on rcs's tip last night about the value for 150-199 Con seats (still available for 8 at smarkets). Worth noting, though, that my betting record is dire, so perhaps do the opposite.
    Lots of "liked and respected" Lib Dem MPs lost their seats in 2015.
    The Tories' 2024 is the LiIb Dems' 2015.
    I actually quite respect our Tory MP Simon Hoare. A one-nation moderate, does his best for the constituency, no doubt. Not a mover or shaker but not a swivel-eyed loon either.

I really, really hope he loses though. I'll be voting tactically for the LibDem candidate.
    I've seen some MRPs where the Tories are reduced to around 50 seats and North Dorset is one of them.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

We don't have any power over the Ukraine issue either. But dosen't stop them deluding themselves that it is still 1911.
    British Manpads were critical in stopping your tanks at the beginning of the full scale invasion and the UK has supplied training and materiel like Storm Shadow that has all but destroyed your Black Sea fleet.
  • Options

It remains unthinkable. At no level will it happen. Reform is a tainted brand for all centrist voters. The issue is not a merger, it is detoxing the Tory brand.
  • Options
    ukelectukelect Posts: 140
    For those who missed it before and haven't yet had enough of forecasts, including of individual seats mentioned elsewhere in this and previous threads, the latest UK-Elect forecast has now been released at https://www.ukelect.co.uk/HTML/forecasts/20240630ForecastUK.html. (UK-Elect has been one of the most accurate pre-election forecasts at several past elections.)

It shows Labour 424 seats, Conservative 126, Liberal Democrat 53, SNP 17, Plaid Cymru 4, Reform UK 4, and Green 3, giving an overall Labour majority of 200.

That forecast uses the current UK-Elect default forecasting settings, using the actual candidate list and taking some account of constituency opinion polls, by-elections since 2019, Brexit referendum leave/remain percentages, incumbency, and tactical voting among other factors. This forecast combines various methods, including both proportional and UNS elements. The forecast top three in every constituency can be found here: https://www.ukelect.co.uk/20240630ForecastUK/UKTop3Forecast.csv

This is a very strange election. Almost nobody in the real world seems to mentions it, unless to wish it was all over, and I have seen far fewer election posters than in any previous General Election. Possibly because where I spend most of my time (Southampton / Eastleigh / Winchester) contains several formerly marginal and fiercely-contested seats that now seem like certain Labour or highly probable Liberal Democrat wins.
  • Options

I can tell you that as well as Rochdale, with bet365 they are second favourites (at 10s to 20s range) in

Birmingham Yardley
    Ealing North
    Blackburn
    Luton South
  • Options

I can't really trust myself to predict anything. I know what I want to happen, and there are indications (to me) that it may happen, but who knows?

Trust your instincts, Lucky. If they say it's unpredictable, they're probably right.

My instincts are saying the same as yours. I wouldn't bet the house on anything. My stakes have been modest, and on the whole I am on at good odds, so I'm sticking rather than twisting now.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,732
    IanB2 said:

You really are making every effort to ramp the Lib Dems' prospects in just about every post you make. Were you doing the same in 2019 during the Swinson Surge?
  • Options

@Benpointer FPT

Similar considerations here, Ben. I'm really glad I don't live just down the road and have to decide whether to oppose the excellent Alex Chalk in Cheltenham. No such problems with Lazy Laurence Robertson here in Tewkesbury, where the Yellow Diamonds continue to proliferate.

We took a trip out to Pershore last night and were surprised to see the same patterns there. I can just about buy Gloucestershire as a new Liberal fiefdom, but Worcestershire ffs? Not a Blue, Red, or Green flag in sight. I checked when I got home and the various sources confirmed my assumption that West Worcestershire is about as Tory as it gets. If you want to back The Peril you can get 33/1, no problem. Yet they definitely seem to be Trying There.

Not sure, but the local LDs are quite bullish about Tewkesbury, so I'm satisfied now that I didn't lead you guys astray when I put this up as a bet a couple of weeks ago.

Posters/placards very often aren't a good indication of who's going to win.
  • Options
    FPT
    Leon said:

Re expectations of the GE2019, here's what PB had to say either side of the exit poll:

https://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/12/12/a-big-rumour-to-get-everyone-going-before-the-exit-poll-at-10pm/

Some PBers predicting a hung parliament plus this:

For what it's worth, I hear canvassing returns today have given Labour an internal projected vote share of 36.2%. Their number crunchers are saying its now 50/50 between a a hung parliament and a small Tory majority.

https://x.com/tnewtondunn/status/1205242626548674563?s=20

Nice find. The idea everyone on pb and around Britain was calmly predicting a massive Tory majority is outright nonsense
    I also remember the smelling salts being required round here at 10pm in 2015.

As I keep saying. When you need to win about 120 seats to get a majority of one (140 seats if you take boundary changes into account) it is a huge task, however crap the opposition.

And there is more than one opposition in this election. A completely different opposition in Scotland (the SNP) and both Galloways lot and Farages Lot eating into votes south of the border (as well as the Greens and Libdems)

The opinion polls are currently the Tories greatest asset as if they convince voters the result is a foregone conclusion, voters are far more likely to sit at home or vote with their heart not with their tactical head, whether that is for Green, Reform, SNP or Galloway or Lib Dem.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 26,502
    John Redwood offers some clarity on the 'one nation' takeover of the Government (I use inverted commas because Disraeli would have been repulsed by these chumps), and how this election will be the public's verdict on 'one nationism'.

https://johnredwoodsdiary.com/2024/06/28/one-nation-conservatism/

There were discussions with Ministers who decided it was best to run a largely One Nation policy. Ministers argued that the threat to the Conservative party came from Labour and Lib Dems to the left so it was important to move in their direction. They wanted to improve relations with the EU, follow international law as interpreted by internationalists, follow Bank and OBR orthodoxy and regulate more against possible harms. Critics of these views accepted they had lost the internal argument and supported the leadership going into an election.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,896
    Tim barely coherent this morning.

ForgottenGenius
    @ExStrategist
    Stephen Flynn is will be a picture on Friday morning after losing half of his MP's.
    Does he have any look other than smug?
    Tune and find out.

Cuts rather a sad figure these days, howling into the void on X about the unions, Owen Jones and the EssEnnPee. At least we know who he thinks are the real enemies of Labour.
  • Options

I think you’re consistently overestimating the chances of the Gaza-focused left. We’ve had constituency polls in 2 seats with such candidates standing and they aren’t doing great.

In Holborn & St Pancras, Feinstein was on a mere 6%. In Islington N, Corbyn was on 29%, versus Labour on 43%. If Corbyn is that behind, is Yakoob going to do a lot better?

Yakoob got 11% in the mayoral election, 20% in Birmingham alone: not bad, but that was in a low turnout election. In Ladywood, it’s a straight fight between him and Labour. Low information voters will vote Labour.
  • Options
    "Tim Shipman
    @ShippersUnbound

1/ NEW: The first ever mega-poll by @jamesjohnson252 and JL Partners gives Labour 450 seats and a majority of 250. The Tories are reduced to 105 seats. All the details in our live feed here: https://thetimes.com/uk/politics/article/general-election-latest-news-live-sunak-voters-starmer-phrvd6xr2"

https://x.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1807343906650034578
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

@Benpointer FPT

Indeed. I've never seen a single Tory placard or poster in Norwich South at any election but they've always come second on towards 30% (until this time!)
  • Options
    LloydBanksLloydBanks Posts: 44
    My hunch is that both Yakoob (his comments on women will not have alienated his vote as much as the media thinks) and Debonnaire (the far left cheerleading for Greens, especially wrt Gaza and the transfer of nutcases from Labour to Green, will repel more voters than it attracts) will win
  • Options
    On topic, I would say that Labour might be in trouble where facing a credible Green challenge. I'm expecting Thamgam Thingamebob to save the next Speaker the trouble of learning how to pronounce her name.

I'd be less concerned about the Gaza thing. It's a UK GE ffs.

I've actually bought Greens on the spreads. They were cheap, if nothing else.

I would sell Reform, but I'm a scaredy cat.
  • Options
    edited June 30
    edit
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,369
    Cicero said:

algarkirk said:

British Manpads were critical in stopping your tanks at the beginning of the full scale invasion and the UK has supplied training and materiel like Storm Shadow that has all but destroyed your Black Sea fleet.
    MANPADs aren't used on armour, they are anti-aircraft weapons.

The BSF have 5 x Guided Missile Frigates, 4 x Kilos and many assorted pleasure craft in the Black Sea. "All but destroyed" is a load of shit you have just made up.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

maxh said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Anecdotally I don’t know anyone that is voting Tory. My friends and family are a very mixed group of right and left and probably half are Tories - or can be persuaded that way sometimes

Usually a few of them will admit this. Now none. I suppose one or two might be hiding it - must be - but that does concur with the polls. 20% could be what they get. Which is virtual wipeout?

🤞🙏

I know quite a few who will vote Tory, particularly Indian doctors, but also old school Tories like my uncle in Lake.

Fair enough. I do wonder how many Tories will crawl back to them at the end. eg my sister (really quite Tory) has gone awfully quiet. Usually she’s happy to tell us her vote (Tory). For the last year she’s been denouncing them

Now she’s all quiet. Hmmm. I suspect she’s reluctantly returning to the fold. If there are 2-3 million like her the Tories will be fine. Defeated but fine
    I voted Tory yesterday because I like and respect my local MP. Pure constituency vote though.
    This.

I think this will be more widespread than people realise, or the polls suggest. It's a very logical position for a committed Conservative (gives a 'liked and respected' base for the Tories to rebuild from, so I hope plenty of Tories do it).

I've bet accordingly, including on rcs's tip last night about the value for 150-199 Con seats (still available for 8 at smarkets). Worth noting, though, that my betting record is dire, so perhaps do the opposite.
    I actually quite respect our Tory MP Simon Hoare. A one-nation moderate, does his best for the constituency, no doubt. Not a mover or shaker but not a swivel-eyed loon either.

I really, really hope he loses though. I'll be voting tactically for the LibDem candidate.
    I've seen some MRPs where the Tories are reduced to around 50 seats and North Dorset is one of them.
    North Dorset stays Tory according to all of these

https://inglesp.github.io/apogee/constituencies/E14001388/

but the variance exemplifies the wildness of the polling data and the conclusions drawn.

Eg, for North Dorset
    Focaldata: Tory 33 LD 30 (so actually marginal)
    Ipsos: Tory 42 LD 17. (And Labour second on 22)
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

maxh said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

🤞🙏

This.

North Dorset stays Tory according to all of these

https://inglesp.github.io/apogee/constituencies/E14001388/

but the variance exemplifies the wildness of the polling data and the conclusions drawn.

Eg, for North Dorset
    Focaldata: Tory 33 LD 30 (so actually marginal)
    Ipsos: Tory 42 LD 17. (And Labour second on 22)
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's one seat where all the models get it wrong, and the LDs win.
  • Options

On topic, I would say that Labour might be in trouble where facing a credible Green challenge. I'm expecting Thamgam Thingamebob to save the next Speaker the trouble of learning how to pronounce her name.

I'd be less concerned about the Gaza thing. It's a UK GE ffs.

I've actually bought Greens on the spreads. They were cheap, if nothing else.

I would sell Reform, but I'm a scaredy cat.

What’s difficult to pronounce about Thangam Debbonaire? People are more like to get Kemi Badenoch wrong, and to move on to party names, no-one pronounces Alba correctly.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,274
    edited June 30
    There are a few Guy Opperman banners along the A1 in South Northumberland. No Tory branding visible other than the colours.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

@Benpointer FPT

Indeed. I've never seen a single Tory placard or poster in Norwich South at any election but they've always come second on towards 30% (until this time!)
    Oh, agreed, but they do tell you something.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,462
    edited June 30

FPT

Leon said:

Re expectations of the GE2019, here's what PB had to say either side of the exit poll:

https://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/12/12/a-big-rumour-to-get-everyone-going-before-the-exit-poll-at-10pm/

Some PBers predicting a hung parliament plus this:

For what it's worth, I hear canvassing returns today have given Labour an internal projected vote share of 36.2%. Their number crunchers are saying its now 50/50 between a a hung parliament and a small Tory majority.

https://x.com/tnewtondunn/status/1205242626548674563?s=20

Nice find. The idea everyone on pb and around Britain was calmly predicting a massive Tory majority is outright nonsense
    I also remember the smelling salts being required round here at 10pm in 2015.

As I keep saying. When you need to win about 120 seats to get a majority of one (140 seats if you take boundary changes into account) it is a huge task, however crap the opposition.

And there is more than one opposition in this election. A completely different opposition in Scotland (the SNP) and both Galloways lot and Farages Lot eating into votes south of the border (as well as the Greens and Libdems)

The opinion polls are currently the Tories greatest asset as if they convince voters the result is a foregone conclusion, voters are far more likely to sit at home or vote with their heart not with their tactical head, whether that is for Green, Reform, SNP or Galloway or Lib Dem.

My prediction shortly before the Exit poll hit from that thread:

"The Brexit referendum is a fine example of this. Markets often behave as a flock of panicking sheep.

I haven't altered my betting position (360/201/42/21/ others), at least not yet, but I have teeed up a reverse ferret if needed!"

And after:

"looks like no reverse ferret needed by Foxy,

360/201/42/21 not too far out.

I thought SNP would do well so should be some good constituency bets there, sadly including East Dunbartonshire"
  • Options

IanB2 said:

You really are making every effort to ramp the Lib Dems' prospects in just about every post you make. Were you doing the same in 2019 during the Swinson Surge?
    You're not really paying attention, are you? This below was just a couple of hours back. And every PB regular knows the opening posts in a thread are just for fun.
    IanB2 said:

If there is a swingback it would probably be at the LibDems' expense, with a string of near misses across the Home Counties, rather than Labour, which probably has its 400 seats nailed on. Late LibDem disappointment would fit with the pattern of previous elections, and there will invariably be people settled on voting LibDem who get squeezed back to the larger parties on polling day. Thus betting 'under' on the higher LibDem estimates is probably the same bet as 'over' on Tory.

• Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,566

You'd doubt the comments themselves will hurt him, but they are indicative of the fact he is a really nasty piece of work, and that's fairly apparent if you're paying close attention. If you're not monomaniacal about Gaza it's a significant reason to vote Labour to avoid having someone who is liable to be an embarrassment as an MP.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,886

There are a few Guy Opperman banners along the A1 in South Northumberland. No Tory branding visible other than the colours.

Hexham will be a really interesting result.
  • Options
    Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 442
    https://x.com/spectatorindex/status/1807222913134899611

Biden to consider his run at camp David
  • Options
    Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 442
    Even if Biden decides not to run Trump will have got a victory
  • Options

Sunday Times seat predictor says AMT will lose to Labour in North Northumberland, which I'll be keeping an eye on - Reform squeeze, vote drop, boundary changes and an Independent candidate with a lot of support in the north of the constituency is quite a complicated picture.
  • Options
    Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,602

Agreed. Very unlikely but one of 4 they have (barely) more than 1% chance of in Wales
    My hopes are that brecon and Radnor is lost to the libdems this time. I'm afraid Montgomery is likely to go labour I think.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Cicero said:

algarkirk said:

The BSF have 5 x Guided Missile Frigates, 4 x Kilos and many assorted pleasure craft in the Black Sea. "All but destroyed" is a load of shit you have just made up.
    Wrong on both statements - obviously touched a nerve.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Tim Shipman
    @ShippersUnbound

1/ NEW: The first ever mega-poll by @jamesjohnson252 and JL Partners gives Labour 450 seats and a majority of 250. The Tories are reduced to 105 seats. All the details in our live feed here: https://thetimes.com/uk/politics/article/general-election-latest-news-live-sunak-voters-starmer-phrvd6xr2"

The link is interesting. The seat by seat predictions seem to contain some mistakes (Christchurch is the speaker's seat; Grantham was Labour in 2019; Hexham will stay Tory - it won't) but is useful.

Its mode of presentation emphasises to the reader that most of the seats predicted to stay Tory do so only by tiny % points. MOE is real.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,813
    Greens are 80/1 to win Brighton Kempton and Peacehaven. Based on the tweet linked to in the header I have had £12.50 on the Greens - to win £1k.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,655
    Farooq said:

And he's hoping to be treated more gently as a result of his Trumpian sulk with the BBC.
    The man is a giant baby.
    Regardless it is Farage, the BBC are more biased than Goebbel's was.
  • Options
    Nunu5 said:

If he stands down, who's the most likely new candidate?
  • Options

Sunday Times seat predictor says AMT will lose to Labour in North Northumberland, which I'll be keeping an eye on - Reform squeeze, vote drop, boundary changes and an Independent candidate with a lot of support in the north of the constituency is quite a complicated picture.
    Chucking Morpeth in there is a bit of a wildcard. Voted quite strongly Tory last time, but that was against Ian Lavery.
  • Options

My hopes are that brecon and Radnor is lost to the libdems this time. I'm afraid Montgomery is likely to go labour I think.
    Brecon will be interesting, montgomery is gone red after betgate, Monmouth might yet be interesting
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I am hoping the whole NECA turns Red just for the bants
  • Options

I can tell you that as well as Rochdale, with bet365 they are second favourites (at 10s to 20s range) in

Birmingham Yardley
    Ealing North
    Blackburn
    Luton South
    I don't expect Galloway to hold on in Rochdale, remember that he won only 39% in a by-election even after Labour had disowned their own candidate. He attracts votes but also has the ability to unite people against him in repulsion. Labour will attract the latter votes.

Yakoob I think should be favourite to win, if he does so he'll take over the mantle from Galloway as the vilest MP in the Commons. That said Shabana Mahmood is a decent person and her personal vote may still get her over the line. Yakoob is focusing his personal narcissicm on Ladywood and the campaigns of others of his ilk seem lower key by comparison with the wider Yakoob campaign in the mayoral election, so I can't see his lot picking up any seats elsewhere in the West Midlands.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,896
    Cicero said:

Dura_Ace said:

Cicero said:

algarkirk said:

Wrong on both statements - obviously touched a nerve.
    Eh? You do know what the AD in MANPAD stands for?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

If it stays Tory, the Tories will be doing pretty well, and could even keep a seat in Cumbria. Though I think it will all go Labour except for Tim Farron.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

There's a possibility that the entire NE region will.
    Wouldn't bet on it, mind.
  • Options
    edited June 30
    FPT

"XL bully shot after attacking and injuring a woman in Manchester

Police officers shot the dog after it attacked members of the public and injured a woman. Officers were unable to regain control of the XL bully before shooting it."

https://news.sky.com/story/xl-bully-shot-after-attacking-and-injuring-a-woman-in-manchester-13160980"
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Chucking Morpeth in there is a bit of a wildcard. Voted quite strongly Tory last time, but that was against Ian Lavery.
    Morpeth is full of whoppers, so who can say.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Cicero said:

algarkirk said:

MANPADs cost £3 for 10 from Asda and are designed for blokes who've had their prostrate operated on.

• Options
    algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

"Tim Shipman
    @ShippersUnbound

The link is interesting. The seat by seat predictions seem to contain some mistakes (Christchurch is the speaker's seat; Grantham was Labour in 2019; Hexham will stay Tory - it won't) but is useful.

Its mode of presentation emphasises to the reader that most of the seats predicted to stay Tory do so only by tiny % points. MOE is real.
    ChorleySurely?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 20,009
    edited June 30
    Was it @Heathener who was trying to find PB Headers from before the 2019 Election?

This is the archive page you want as a start - December 2019:
    http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2019/12/

There is iirc normally a monthly date archive table down the RHS on the politicalbetting.com (not vanilla) site, but that and the blogroll seem to have vanished afaics - perhaps @rcs1000 is running a shortened page to help performance during the Election period?

For future reference, Wordpress does all sorts of things that can be found by guessing urls but it is all configurable so unpredictable. If you are not a Geek I would recommend using the date based archive of the Internet Archive, which is well organised and has PB going back to 2004 including comments, and some decent search facilities if you look for them:

https://web.archive.org/web/20240000000000*/http://www6.politicalbetting.com/

(If that www6. causes problems start by putting politicalbetting.com into the search box.)

This is the first article I can find from Magic Mike, from 11 June 2004, about Ken Livingstone. The next one is I think about postal voting.

https://web.archive.org/web/20040519051338/http://www6.politicalbetting.com/
  • Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,845
    edited June 30

dixiedean said:

Birmingham Yardley
    Ealing North
    Blackburn
    Luton South
    I don't expect Galloway to hold on in Rochdale, remember that he won only 39% in a by-election even after Labour had disowned their own candidate. He attracts votes but also has the ability to unite people against him in repulsion. Labour will attract the latter votes.

Yakoob I think should be favourite to win, if he does so he'll take over the mantle from Galloway as the vilest MP in the Commons. That said Shabana Mahmood is a decent person and her personal vote may still get her over the line. Yakoob is focusing his personal narcissicm on Ladywood and the campaigns of others of his ilk seem lower key by comparison with the wider Yakoob campaign in the mayoral election, so I can't see his lot picking up any seats elsewhere in the West Midlands.
    On the ground, even my Tory/Lib Dem swithering parents are voting Labour to try and oust Galloway. Similar amongst their friends (affluent home owning retirees).

On another note, Hexham is an interesting one - never been anything other than Tory, if it goes they're in for an epic trouncing.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,813
    Andy_JS said:

Nunu5 said:

If he stands down, who's the most likely new candidate?
    Betfair latest odds for the DEM nomination

Biden 1.71-1.73
    Newsom 6.4-7.0
    M Obama 10.5-11
    Harris 12-13.6
    Whitmer 17.5-28
    H Clinton 38-46
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

"Tim Shipman
    @ShippersUnbound

ChorleySurely?
    Indeed. you would expect the Times to know that; and that Chope is at Christchurch and isn't the speaker.
This discussion has been closed.