Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Timing is everything – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,710
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

George Galloway on Keir Starmer.

“If Keir Starmer becomes the Prime Minister, within six months, Britain will be at war. I mean an actual war with British troops deployed. Don’t arm these dangerous people with a super-majority in Parliament.”

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/george-galloway-keir-starmer-labour-rochdale-rishi-sunak-b1165461.html

Why do you insist on giving oxygen to this odious individual?
    I won't mention him again.
    Don’t be bullied. It’s an open forum and you can say what you like unless the mods forbid it. @Anabobazina is not a moderator
    Neither are you. But as we can apparently say what we like:

As far as I am concerned @Leon, you can go and rot in Hell.

What you said to me yesterday was not robust debate. It was not politics. It was plain and simply nasty.

Go to Hell.
    Get over it. I had far worse from that drunken piece of shit Ishmael, I followed RCS’s advice and ignored the soppy twat.

It’s good advice. Scroll past. Why care about what some anonymous person on the net says or thinks about you. They cannot affect your life unless you let it get to you.
    We seem to be going through a period where everyone wants everyone else banned. If people dont like whats being said just dont come on the site.
    Sorry but that’s a silly remark. This site is supposed to be better than most social media and Mike Smithson didn’t found it just to be an online trolling zone. You are undoubtedly supporting Leon because he is hard right like yourself. But that’s ‘disappointing.'

Political views? Fine. Personal and/or home life abuse? Not alright.
    So much air. So much head.
    Not your most impressive response Alan, if I may say. It’s a serious point and what Leon wrote to JJ (and others) was vile and personal abuse. It had absolutely nothing to do with the foundations of this forum.
    You have no idea why people come on this forum so claiming you do is garbage. people are on here for a variety of reasons and it's one of the attractions that you get to understand views which are not your own. You are clearly struggling with that bit.

If I understand some of your posts you are claiming you will bugger off after 4th July and make no further contribution
    so two weeks today you are history. Quite why you think everyone is going to change their behaviour on that timescale is optimistic to say the least. So the site will have to struggle on without you.

You have given it your best Flora Poste efforts and failed. Have a break.
    I’ll leave aside the misogyny of your last part although I’ve had to look it up.

I’m glad you put the caveat, ‘If I understand’ because you’re right, you don’t. I’m on this site primarily because I enjoy betting on politics which is why this forum was founded and, like other forums the world over, it has a definable raison d’etre. That doesn’t mean everyone has to bet to be here, of course.

After July 4th there are fewer betting opportunities for me. I personally find betting on the next Conservative leader market to be fool’s gold because you’re not betting from reason but betting to guess how the Conservative Party membership will vote. That’s not an area I trust myself on sufficiently to risk money.

I have also previously made a lot on the US Presidential but I think this time I may sit it out.

The third reason though is more nuanced. I suspect strongly that after July 4th the landscape will look and feel very different. The froth and bubble about which we get so excited is going to abate. A strong Labour win will be exciting for a few days and then it won’t be. We will become used to the (complete) change of Government. I don’t especially want to spend a lot of time that might be put to better use debating or arguing with a predominantly older demographic, many of whom are on the right, when the country is moving on. I don’t need to spend a lot of my life on here.

xx
    Good morning @Heathener

Your final paragraph is very succinct, but my only hope is that predictions on how well Farage and the right do are not born out in the ballot boxes two weeks today
    Good morning Big G.

I share your fear on this. I may have mis-read the mood. We (nearly all) may have.

I do think it’s bad of the BBC not to invite Farage to tonight’s debate. I don’t like him but ostracising him for his views feeds the disenchantment. Does anyone know their reasoning?
    Just because he is the one getting lots of publicity he is not main stream and the other smaller parties would be entitled to challenge his inclusion
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,497
    Good morning, everyone.

If it's the 'face the public' event Farage is not present for that might be better for him to miss than some others.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,439
    Sandpit said:

FPT:

Leon left Ukraine just a couple of weeks too early to take the first ferry from Ukraine to Georgia since the February 2022 invasion.

https://kyivindependent.com/ukraine-restores-ferry-service-with-georgia/

Remember, Russia said they would treat any ship heading towards, or leaving from, a Ukrainian port as part of the war effort, but their attempt to enforce a blockade has completely collapsed, and they are defeated in the Black Sea.

Brilliant news! That the entire Black Sea Fleet is either on the bottom of the sea, damaged, or stuck in port in Novorossiysk, is a major victory for Ukraine.

Next challenge is to properly take out the Kerch Bridge, leave it so the repairs will take years.
    It's reassuring that they've taken the global warming issues to heart. In the past they've sailed their fleets half way round the world in order to have them scrapped under the Japanese. This new Ukrainian route seems much better.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,088
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

“If Keir Starmer becomes the Prime Minister, within six months, Britain will be at war. I mean an actual war with British troops deployed. Don’t arm these dangerous people with a super-majority in Parliament.”

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/george-galloway-keir-starmer-labour-rochdale-rishi-sunak-b1165461.html

Don’t be bullied. It’s an open forum and you can say what you like unless the mods forbid it. @Anabobazina is not a moderator

What you said to me yesterday was not robust debate. It was not politics. It was plain and simply nasty.

Go to Hell.
    Get over it. I had far worse from that drunken piece of shit Ishmael, I followed RCS’s advice and ignored the soppy twat.

It’s good advice. Scroll past. Why care about what some anonymous person on the net says or thinks about you. They cannot affect your life unless you let it get to you.
    We seem to be going through a period where everyone wants everyone else banned. If people dont like whats being said just dont come on the site.
    Sorry but that’s a silly remark. This site is supposed to be better than most social media and Mike Smithson didn’t found it just to be an online trolling zone. You are undoubtedly supporting Leon because he is hard right like yourself. But that’s ‘disappointing.'

Not your most impressive response Alan, if I may say. It’s a serious point and what Leon wrote to JJ (and others) was vile and personal abuse. It had absolutely nothing to do with the foundations of this forum.
    You have no idea why people come on this forum so claiming you do is garbage. people are on here for a variety of reasons and it's one of the attractions that you get to understand views which are not your own. You are clearly struggling with that bit.

If I understand some of your posts you are claiming you will bugger off after 4th July and make no further contribution
    so two weeks today you are history. Quite why you think everyone is going to change their behaviour on that timescale is optimistic to say the least. So the site will have to struggle on without you.

I’ll leave aside the misogyny of your last part although I’ve had to look it up.

I’m glad you put the caveat, ‘If I understand’ because you’re right, you don’t. I’m on this site primarily because I enjoy betting on politics which is why this forum was founded and, like other forums the world over, it has a definable raison d’etre. That doesn’t mean everyone has to bet to be here, of course.

After July 4th there are fewer betting opportunities for me. I personally find betting on the next Conservative leader market to be fool’s gold because you’re not betting from reason but betting to guess how the Conservative Party membership will vote. That’s not an area I trust myself on sufficiently to risk money.

I have also previously made a lot on the US Presidential but I think this time I may sit it out.

The third reason though is more nuanced. I suspect strongly that after July 4th the landscape will look and feel very different. The froth and bubble about which we get so excited is going to abate. A strong Labour win will be exciting for a few days and then it won’t be. We will become used to the (complete) change of Government. I don’t especially want to spend a lot of time that might be put to better use debating or arguing with a predominantly older demographic, many of whom are on the right, when the country is moving on. I don’t need to spend a lot of my life on here.

xx
    I cant see how Cold Comfort Farm is remotely mysoginist. Try reading.

And then try understanding. Youre here for the political betting - good luck - lots of other posters are not. Some posters like malc will bet on horses not politics and will swap tips. Some posters are here for the exchange of views - like myself.

This site is one of the longer lasting sites, so it must be doing something right even in those arid years when we didnt have your "guidance", Im sure we'll do quite well post $th July and when you leave how about making a decent contribution to site funds before you leave ?

You’d be so much better if you dropped the snide stuff. It’s unnecessary and doesn’t add value to your comments. I do read. I mean, I’m an author after all. But I had to remind myself about CCF as it’s a long time since I read it. There’s something naaaaasty in the woodshed, and all that.

It really amuses me though this assumption that because I joined in 2021, the elders are better. But are they? Did I …?

Have a nice day. Be kind, play fair. It makes the world a better place.

xx
    You'd be better off too if you didnt call posters mysoginist, hard right etc. but there you go.

Still you have only 2 weeks to put up with PB so enjoy the summer.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,497
    Some escalation in the South China Sea as Chinese and Filipono personnel clash:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cgee719kqpdo
  • Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Go to Hell.

xx
    Good morning @Heathener

Your final paragraph is very succinct, but my only hope is that predictions on how well Farage and the right do are not born out in the ballot boxes two weeks today
    Good morning Big G.

I share your fear on this. I may have mis-read the mood. We (nearly all) may have.

I do think it’s bad of the BBC not to invite Farage to tonight’s debate. I don’t like him but ostracising him for his views feeds the disenchantment. Does anyone know their reasoning?
    The only thing that will stop this in it's tracks is a total farageasm with him leading the polls and people start factoring in the possibility of them actually winning in their voting choice.
  • maxhmaxh Posts: 1,038

Taz said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Go to Hell.

Thanks for the advice, but nah. @Leon made a post stating essentially his comments about Ukraine meant more because he had been there. I disagreed, essentially stating I didn't report very well.

@Leon then goes off on one, doubting the parentage of my child in a real nasty way. And he isn't man enough to realise he's gone too far and apologise.

@Leon is the sort of poster that destroys sites. He's already seen off other good posters, and yet he hangs around, like a paedophile outside a girls' school.

So yeah @Leon can fuck off and die as far as I'm concerned. It'll be interesting to see how far I can push this 'free speech' stuff before I get my first ever ban. ;)
    Please let it go, even if for no other reason that this feud stinks up the site for the rest of us. Whatever you said to him and he said to you originally will soon be lost in the thousands of posts per day here. You might also want to steer clear of the p-word after the Barton/Vine kerfuffle landed some huge bills because the judge did not believe in metaphor.
    Added to that, your response is precisely what feeds @Leon's trolling JJ
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,222

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Go to Hell.

Yes, you're a windup merchant, too.
    Less fluent than Leon, but a bit less abusive, TBF.
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Go to Hell.

xx
    Good morning @Heathener

Good morning Big G.

Just because he is the one getting lots of publicity he is not main stream and the other smaller parties would be entitled to challenge his inclusion
    It does really concern me though. Suppose their support really is around 15-20%, surely that alone should merit his inclusion?

Don’t get me wrong, I loathe his politics, but it feels to me all wrong to ostracize him. Doesn’t it play into part of their whole anti-Westminster anti-establishment complaint?

I’d rather see Farage put under the spotlight than pretending he doesn’t exist.
    Nigelb said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Go to Hell.

Yes, you're a windup merchant, too.
    Less fluent than Leon, but a bit less abusive, TBF.
    Do not poke the bear.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,211
    murali_s said:

On the latest opinion polls, nothing much has changed. I still expect Farage and his band of fascists to get 3 seats max, while the Tories should be comfortably in the 100-150 seat band.

Things may change, let’s see how it pans out.

For some time now, my own view has been a stonking Labour majority. I have seen nothing to change my mind on this, and much to reinforce the view.

I don't think it'll quite be an extinction-level event for the Conservatives, but it'll be nearer that than a no overall majority. And it's getting to the stage where the Labour majority might be so big it could potentially be harmful to the country.

But will I try to persuade people to vote for the tories because of this? No, no way. They have got into this position due to their own actions and inactions, and the ego of Johnson and the monomania of the Europhobes. They have put good governance of their party, and the country, well behind their own personal ambitions and petty squabbles.

They deserve a good grubbing. I can only hope that SKS uses his massive majority (supermajority?) wisely.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,673
    edited June 20
    Foxy said:

@Leon is a drunken narcissist troll.

Best to simply scroll by.

If we're on @Leon , I think it's time for a name change to a Roman moniker.

I'm still quite taken with the parable of the Gadarene Swine, which has a lot of good leonesque things in it. As the antagonist said:

"My name is Legion; for we are many." *

Someone mentioned cryptic crosswords: @Leon adds verbal judo as his centerpiece (6).

(https://bible.oremus.org/?passage=Mark 5:1–20&version=nrsv) *
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 52,980
    Omnium said:

Sandpit said:

FPT:

Leon left Ukraine just a couple of weeks too early to take the first ferry from Ukraine to Georgia since the February 2022 invasion.

https://kyivindependent.com/ukraine-restores-ferry-service-with-georgia/

Remember, Russia said they would treat any ship heading towards, or leaving from, a Ukrainian port as part of the war effort, but their attempt to enforce a blockade has completely collapsed, and they are defeated in the Black Sea.

Brilliant news! That the entire Black Sea Fleet is either on the bottom of the sea, damaged, or stuck in port in Novorossiysk, is a major victory for Ukraine.

Next challenge is to properly take out the Kerch Bridge, leave it so the repairs will take years.
    It's reassuring that they've taken the global warming issues to heart. In the past they've sailed their fleets half way round the world in order to have them scrapped under the Japanese. This new Ukrainian route seems much better.
    Much more efficient. If they have any ships or bridges left that they need to scrap, we’ll happily send them some more Storm Shadow and ATACMS rockets. 🚀

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Go to Hell.

xx

And then try understanding. Youre here for the political betting - good luck - lots of other posters are not. Some posters like malc will bet on horses not politics and will swap tips. Some posters are here for the exchange of views - like myself.

This site is one of the longer lasting sites, so it must be doing something right even in those arid years when we didnt have your "guidance", Im sure we'll do quite well post $th July and when you leave how about making a decent contribution to site funds before you leave ?

You’d be so much better if you dropped the snide stuff. It’s unnecessary and doesn’t add value to your comments. I do read. I mean, I’m an author after all. But I had to remind myself about CCF as it’s a long time since I read it. There’s something naaaaasty in the woodshed, and all that.

It really amuses me though this assumption that because I joined in 2021, the elders are better. But are they? Did I …?

xx
    You'd be better off too if you didnt call posters mysoginist, hard right etc. but there you go.

Well it just seemed rather too easy to single out a young female fictional character as a put-down. It’s not the first time you’ve been misogynistic towards me but perhaps you don’t realise you’re doing it?
  • Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Go to Hell.

xx
    Good morning @Heathener

Good morning Big G.

It does really concern me though. Suppose their support really is around 15-20%, surely that alone should merit his inclusion?

Don’t get me wrong, I loathe his politics, but it feels to me all wrong to ostracize him. Doesn’t it play into part of their whole anti-Westminster anti-establishment complaint?

I’d rather see Farage put under the spotlight than pretending he doesn’t exist.
    That was what did for Griffin. Thrived on being blackballed and imploded when the BBC caved and let him on Question time.
  • El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,238
    While Leon is the main subject of discussion, I see the "I Will Fucking Haymaker You If You Mention Agile Again" guy has written about AI in the same style and it is fantastic.

https://ludic.mataroa.blog/blog/i-will-fucking-piledrive-you-if-you-mention-ai-again/

“No, what I hate is the people who have latched onto it, like so many trailing leeches, bloated with blood and wriggling blindly. Before it was unpopular, they were the ones that loved discussing the potential of blockchain for the business. They were the ones who breathlessly discussed the potential of 'quantum' when I last attended a conference, despite clearly not having any idea what the fuck that even means.”
    @Alanbrooke can you please explain to me, without being snide please, in what way Nigel Farage is not hard right in your opinion?
  • MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,753
    murali_s said:

On the latest opinion polls, nothing much has changed. I still expect Farage and his band of fascists to get 3 seats max, while the Tories should be comfortably in the 100-150 seat band.

Things may change, let’s see how it pans out.

I started this campaign thinking the Tory floor was about 170-180. That feels a bit high now, but there are still going to be many constituencies - maybe 150-200 where unusually, three or more parties may be in serious contention. That could be Con/Lib/Ref or Con/Lab/Ref or even with SNP thrown into the mix. In these constituencies it could literally be a hair’s breadth between the contenders and it’s impossible to guess which way the chips will fall, it’ll be local factors, demographics and TV. UNS is utterly dead for this election, which makes it utterly fascinating. But as a betting proposition, a minefield. My best guess.

Con 135
    LibDem 57
    Lab 410
    SNP 20
    RefUK 3
    Green 2
    PC 3
    Other 2
    Norn Ire 18
    Heathener said:

@Alanbrooke can you please explain to me, without being snide please, in what way Nigel Farage is not hard right in your opinion?

Perhaps you can start off by defining what hard right is, that way we'll be on the same page.
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Go to Hell.

xx

xx

Well it just seemed rather too easy to single out a young female fictional character as a put-down. It’s not the first time you’ve been misogynistic towards me but perhaps you don’t realise you’re doing it?
    Dont be ridiculous. I think of you as a child not a woman.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,438
    edited June 20
    Ghedebrav said:

mwadams said:

Ghedebrav said:

James Cleverly ‘lacks appetite’ for Conservative Party leadership contest

The home secretary is popular with centrists and is predicted to keep his Braintree seat but he has told friends he won’t be putting himself forward

Suella Braverman, his predecessor as home secretary, has been deserted by key allies who predict she may not enter the contest due to a lack of support since her departure from government last November.

Allies believe that even if she did decide to run, it would not be a serious bid and motivated more by trying to secure a senior role in the shadow cabinet.

https://www.thetimes.com/uk/politics/article/james-cleverly-lacks-appetite-for-conservative-party-leadership-contest-ntmxghcbk

Tbf if the rumours are true that he’s started collecting Adepta Sororitas for his Warhammer hobby he’ll need to spend a lot of his spare time painting anyway.
    So many angry nuns. Especially if he magnetised all the weapons options like I did. Madness.
    As a Genestealer Cult enjoyer, I’m afraid I have little sympathy.
    OTOH I can see that it's not a bad hobby to have to calm down in the evenings, losing oneself in doing something with the hands.

Edit: I see some of us could do with a hobby to calm down at other times of the day, as well.

Maybe one or two of us could use an extra coffee
    My one true vice.

Two things I could never go without. Coffee. And moisturiser.

Always start with a long black. Then try to graduate to a soya flat white or soya latte. Everything that Lee Anderson apparently hates. I expect he’s not very into moisturiser either :smiley:
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,268

Taz said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Go to Hell.

Then eventually there is no site left! Successful online communities require some degree of moderation, as per the work of Jenny Preece (“Online Communities: Designing Usability, Supporting Sociability”, John Wiley & Sons, 2000). Where you draw the lines is, of course, the difficult bit.
    I'm comfortable with where the line is currently. Plenty of posters have been banned from pb.com where the mods have deemed it necessary.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,372
    Heathener said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Go to Hell.

I don’t think that’s particularly sensitive and caring @Taz and, if I may says so, it’s not really for you to tell someone to get over it. It was a really vile under-the-skin provocation.

And many people online can’t just gloss past abuse. If you are thick-skinned enough, be thankful.

Well firstly Josias is no angel, has been rude to me more than once. These things happen. Do I care about Josias's finer feelings. Not in the slightest. I am giving feedback and advice. It is up to them to accept or otherwise.

Secondly, yeah, I am thick skinned enough not to care. I have had alot of provocation and abusive comments on here even down to the size of my manhood and how many times I have intimacy with my wife. Why should I care what some idiot who does not know me, will never know me, and never meet me thinks or says. Says more about them.
  • The background is thatl people know things are not as they should be and life for many is hard, the Tories are despised and Labour are dull, worthy and untrusted, but not planning radical change, so have been flocked to like a poor harbour in a major storm on "there is no alternative" grounds.

In that situation, someone charismatic who can make people feel good and vote for something and that they are actually being listened to (however attainable or unattainable it is) can make ground extraordinarily fast.

Especially with the media and so many people treating it as a presidential election, as if they were voting for the leader not the party.

Heathener said:

Perhaps you can start off by defining what hard right is, that way we'll be on the same page.
    Okay fair response and you’re on but I’m just off out to meet up with a friend for the day (no not surrey ex-tory lol) so laters okay?
  • Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,164
    As I said fairly long windedly yesterday, we should be looking at other countries with elements of FPTP in their system for how political realignment might work.

In France, the hard right are working hard to sell their pragmatism and hardness, the centre have crushed the centre-right and a fairly left alliance has emerged.

In Italy, a hard right that sold both their pragmatism and their hardness leads a broad right alliance, whilst the traditional centre left and left struggle to bring a large enough alliance with the populist left and centre to counter.

In the US the duopoly holds. with the left party winning from what Europeans would consider centre or centre right, and a hard right party that is not yet engaging with pragmatism threatening success.

The likely UK course is closest to the French I think, of a split right struggling and a harder right element eventually having to sell their pragmatism, of a stronger centre taking in the Cameroons, and of a clearly left of centre alternative, but it will take a decade at least to play out.

Foxy said:

@Leon is a drunken narcissist troll.

Best to simply scroll by.

Now that is good advice.

I do not mind Leon, and find some of his input interesting. But no one is compelled to read or interact with him or anyone.
    maxh said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Go to Hell.

Thanks for the advice, but nah. @Leon made a post stating essentially his comments about Ukraine meant more because he had been there. I disagreed, essentially stating I didn't report very well.

@Leon then goes off on one, doubting the parentage of my child in a real nasty way. And he isn't man enough to realise he's gone too far and apologise.

@Leon is the sort of poster that destroys sites. He's already seen off other good posters, and yet he hangs around, like a paedophile outside a girls' school.

So yeah @Leon can fuck off and die as far as I'm concerned. It'll be interesting to see how far I can push this 'free speech' stuff before I get my first ever ban. ;)
    Please let it go, even if for no other reason that this feud stinks up the site for the rest of us. Whatever you said to him and he said to you originally will soon be lost in the thousands of posts per day here. You might also want to steer clear of the p-word after the Barton/Vine kerfuffle landed some huge bills because the judge did not believe in metaphor.
    Added to that, your response is precisely what feeds @Leon's trolling JJ
    When Leon goes OTT, the best response is always to blank him completely.
    You're not going to match him for abuse, unless you're as completely lacking in inhibition as he is, and reason is a waste of time.
    He tends to sulk off it that happens.

The rest of the time he's pretty good conversation.
    Taz said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Go to Hell.

I don’t think that’s particularly sensitive and caring @Taz and, if I may says so, it’s not really for you to tell someone to get over it. It was a really vile under-the-skin provocation.

And many people online can’t just gloss past abuse. If you are thick-skinned enough, be thankful.

Well firstly Josias is no angel, has been rude to me more than once. These things happen. Do I care about Josias's finer feelings. Not in the slightest. I am giving feedback and advice. It is up to them to accept or otherwise.

Secondly, yeah, I am thick skinned enough not to care. I have had alot of provocation and abusive comments on here even down to the size of my manhood and how many times I have intimacy with my wife. Why should I care what some idiot who does not know me, will never know me, and never meet me thinks or says. Says more about them.
    Just remember youve been called much worse things by much better people, and youre still here :smiley:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Go to Hell.

xx

xx

See, that kind of comment isn’t great is it? How much better if you’d paused and thought, ‘erm maybe no need to post that.'
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Okay fair response and you’re on but I’m just off out to meet up with a friend for the day (no not surrey ex-tory lol) so laters okay?
    Have fun.
    Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Go to Hell.

xx
    I am not excited about a labour win. I am concerned about it. The lesser of two evils is still an evil.

I have no doubt they will come for my savings and pensions. Their lack of honesty on tax is concerning.

The Tories have lost the right to govern. They deserve to be booted out. However Labour could easily blow it.

Morning all!

Maybe one or two of us could use an extra coffee and a nice early stroll in the sun this morning :-)

Done the latter; just on with the former.
    Good morning, Casino.

Taz said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Go to Hell.

Just remember youve been called much worse things by much better people, and youre still here :smiley:
    I know my place, I'm ever so humble (doffs cap)

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Go to Hell.

xx

xx

More bore than bear.
    Taz said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Go to Hell.

Have I bene rude to you? I honestly cannot remember interacting with you much in the past.

If I have, sorry.
    Nigelb said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Go to Hell.

xx

xx

More bore than bear.
    Idle morning Mr b ?
    Could have been last summer; Biden dragging his feet over allowing Ukraine to have F16s was one of his bigger mistakes on Ukraine.

‘It is all lining up’: Plan for Ukraine to finally start using F-16 jets this summer
    After delays in delivery and training pilots and ground staff, Netherlands says Ukraine should get first planes in summer
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/jun/20/it-is-all-lining-up-plan-for-ukraine-to-finally-start-using-f-16-jets-this-summer

Nigelb said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Go to Hell.

xx

xx

More bore than bear.
    Idle morning Mr b ?
    Whiling away the time over coffee.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,218

Morning all!

Maybe one or two of us could use an extra coffee and a nice early stroll in the sun this morning :-)

Summer appears to have finally arrived in London:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2643743

Has anyone told Leon?
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,716
    Can Reform truly be on 24% of the vote.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,273
    I’m so nice that I’ve scrolled the Daily Mail so you don’t have to.

A good summary from Ashcroft on the situation. Not hugely in depth but worth a read.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13548343/LORD-ASHCROFT-not-Tory-policies-people-dont-like-Tory-party.html
  • CiceroCicero Posts: 2,966
    Taz said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Go to Hell.

xx
    I am not excited about a labour win. I am concerned about it. The lesser of two evils is still an evil.

I have no doubt they will come for my savings and pensions. Their lack of honesty on tax is concerning.

The Tories have lost the right to govern. They deserve to be booted out. However Labour could easily blow it.
    I think This is very much the general view across the country...
    Nigelb said:

Could have been last summer; Biden dragging his feet over allowing Ukraine to have F16s was one of his bigger mistakes on Ukraine.

‘It is all lining up’: Plan for Ukraine to finally start using F-16 jets this summer
    After delays in delivery and training pilots and ground staff, Netherlands says Ukraine should get first planes in summer
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/jun/20/it-is-all-lining-up-plan-for-ukraine-to-finally-start-using-f-16-jets-this-summer

That should make a massive difference. It has taken time to train the pilots, and start indentifying the planes before getting them equipped with the right avionics and bomb fitments, but F-16 is superior to anything the Russians have available. Air superiority over large parts of the war zone in Eastern and Southern Ukraine would totally change the course of the conflict.

Nigelb said:
    Laboiur are fielding Rachel Reeves.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,273
    Haha. Todd Boehly has been following the Euros and instructed Chelsea to put in a £100 million bid for Own Goal having looked at the list of top scorers.
  • TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,869
    With all this polling news, it’s times like this that I miss Jack’s ARSE.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,268
    Sean_F said:

Given the earlier polling that showed a preference for Farage over Sunak among then current Tory voters I think it's certainly possible. And there will be a fair chunk of people who wouldn't normally have any truck with him, or his politics, but might well get swept up in a feeling of voting for someone to shake things up a bit.
    edited June 20
    Painting planes now.

That could make for a fun civil lawsuit, easily a million or two in damage there, plus loss of use, and an aviation operator won’t blink at throwing five figures at the lawyers to get the ball rolling. Hope none of these kids got bought a nice house by mummy and daddy.
    Didn't have this on my climate change bingo card.

Climate change could make fungi more dangerous
    https://www.science.org/content/article/climate-change-could-make-fungi-more-dangerous
    Scientists have long worried that Earth’s rising temperatures could make fungi more dangerous to humans. Now researchers in China may have stumbled upon evidence to support that idea.

In a survey of fungal infections in Chinese hospitals, the researchers discovered a fungus not previously reported in humans sickening two patients. The pathogen was already resistant to the two most common anti-fungal drugs—and when they exposed it to higher temperatures, it quickly developed resistance against a third, leaving it essentially untreatable with current medicines.

The finding “supports the idea that global warming may contribute to the evolution of this fungal pathogen or other new fungal pathogens,” says co-author Linqi Wang, a microbiologist at the Institute of Microbiology of the Chinese Academy of Sciences.

“This is a remarkable and truly unexpected finding, which bodes badly for the future,” says David Denning, an infectious diseases researcher at the University of Manchester who was not involved in the study.

Fungi cause less human disease than bacteria or viruses for two reasons: The human immune system is very adept at thwarting them, and they generally don’t grow well at mammals’ high body temperatures. The past few decades, however, fungal infections have become more common because more people are living with weakened immune systems as a result of the HIV epidemic and drugs that suppress the immune system.

Several entirely new fungal infections have also emerged in humans in recent years..
    Sandpit said:

Painting planes now.

That could make for a fun civil lawsuit, easily a million or two in damage there, plus loss of use, and an aviation operator won’t blink at throwing five figures at the lawyers to get the ball rolling. Hope none of these kids got bought a nice house by mummy and daddy.
    One can but hope. I notice none of them has the courage to protest in your part of the world :smiley:
    'A second Conservative candidate is being looked into by the Gambling Commission over a bet relating to the timing of the general election, the BBC can reveal.

Laura Saunders is the party’s candidate in Bristol North West and has worked for the party since 2015.'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cd11j1q3y13o
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,741
    Heathener said:

Question: why wasn’t Nigel Farage invited to join tonight’s BBC debate?

That’s really really bad in my opinion.

Likely a pre agreed formula based on numbers of seats, candidates etc
    Nigelb said:

https://www.science.org/content/article/climate-change-could-make-fungi-more-dangerous
    Scientists have long worried that Earth’s rising temperatures could make fungi more dangerous to humans. Now researchers in China may have stumbled upon evidence to support that idea.

In a survey of fungal infections in Chinese hospitals, the researchers discovered a fungus not previously reported in humans sickening two patients. The pathogen was already resistant to the two most common anti-fungal drugs—and when they exposed it to higher temperatures, it quickly developed resistance against a third, leaving it essentially untreatable with current medicines.

The finding “supports the idea that global warming may contribute to the evolution of this fungal pathogen or other new fungal pathogens,” says co-author Linqi Wang, a microbiologist at the Institute of Microbiology of the Chinese Academy of Sciences.

“This is a remarkable and truly unexpected finding, which bodes badly for the future,” says David Denning, an infectious diseases researcher at the University of Manchester who was not involved in the study.

Fungi cause less human disease than bacteria or viruses for two reasons: The human immune system is very adept at thwarting them, and they generally don’t grow well at mammals’ high body temperatures. The past few decades, however, fungal infections have become more common because more people are living with weakened immune systems as a result of the HIV epidemic and drugs that suppress the immune system.

Several entirely new fungal infections have also emerged in humans in recent years..

Just as long as they dont do their research in Wuhan ,,,,,,
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,528

With all this polling news, it’s times like this that I miss Jack’s ARSE.

The risk is it would be wobbling all over the place....
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,527
    Nigelb said:

This is precisely the plot of The Last of Us, which is utterly terrifying if you've not seen it.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,323
    Morning all - beautiful day here this morning in Dorset.

The weather is set fair, the polls are holding, the Tories are doomed. What a lovely June we're having.

Sandpit said:

Painting planes now.

One can but hope. I notice none of them has the courage to protest in your part of the world :smiley:
    They’d get a few weeks’ free accommodation, which is really nice at this time of year with no aircon, followed by a free ride on one of those flying thingys they claim to despise so much.
    THis thread has had orange paint sprayed on it and is closed to the public.

Taz said:

Heathener said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Go to Hell.

Have I bene rude to you? I honestly cannot remember interacting with you much in the past.

If I have, sorry.
    Don't worry about it. It is not a problem. We have interacted a few times. Sometimes people say things on social media they wouldn't in real life.

I have moderated a Dr Who forum and I can tell you modding is not easy. You do not want to disrupt the flow of debate but also you do not want it turning feral.

I only had to ban one person, a holocaust denier.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,277

NEW THREAD

Nigelb said:

I wonder if we will ever see Cordyceps in human beings. That would be something else !!!!
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 47,970

bobbob said:

Is this illegal ? Any one know of any one else being convicted of “insider betting” ? A Met investigation is obviously different

My understanding is that a wager/bet is a form of contract based on a future uncertain event. The event must be both in the future, and uncertain. So, if the policeman overheard something, or was told something, which meant that the future event was no longer uncertain, then the bet is voidable by the other party - presumably the poor honest hardworking bookie.

The problem for the policeman is that in attempting to place the bet, he was acting dishonestly - he knew that the event was no longer uncertain, but pretended that it was. So the Met might well come down on him like a ton of bricks.
    A more serious concern is that protective details need the trust of the people they are supposed to protect.

If you can’t speak openly in front of them, they can’t protect you properly.

In the mind of every politician, going forward will be “we need a place without the protection detail in the room”

Which is why I think Misconduct in A Public Office fits the crime.
    This may also become important in the likely upcoming establishment clause cases.

Amy Coney Barrett may be poised to split conservatives on the Supreme Court
    Legal experts see signs of a “raging” philosophical debate among the court’s supermajority.
    https://www.politico.com/news/2024/06/19/amy-coney-barrett-supreme-court-conservatives-rift-00164047
    .. “The views of preceding generations can persuade, and, in the realm of stare decisis, even bind,” Barrett wrote, using the Latin term for the principle that courts should adhere to past rulings. “But tradition is not an end in itself — and I fear that the Court uses it that way here.”

Barrett, a Trump appointee, added what could be interpreted as a jab at the very premise of originalism, which has been a hallmark of the conservative legal movement for decades.

“It presents tradition itself as the constitutional argument. … Yet what is the theoretical justification for using tradition that way?” she wrote.

Barrett’s next critique amounts to fighting words among legal conservatives: She compared Thomas’ approach to the kind of amorphous, multi-pronged legal tests that conservatives frequently accuse liberal judges of concocting...

Unlike Alito and Thomas, Barrett is not an old man in a hurry.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,946
    edited June 20
    Sean_F said:

Theoretically yes but i'd expect we'd have been hearing much more anecdotal stuff from canvassers via the media. That we arent suggests to me no, and some of the general surge is normal non voters 'doing a brexit'. Now, will they turn out? Thats critical.
    Morning all
    Taz said:

Nigelb said:

I wonder if we will ever see Cordyceps in human beings. That would be something else !!!!
    Toxoplasmosis isn't far off, complete with dying on one's own and being eaten by one's 34 cats to complete the cycle.
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

That should make a massive difference. It has taken time to train the pilots, and start indentifying the planes before getting them equipped with the right avionics and bomb fitments, but F-16 is superior to anything the Russians have available. Air superiority over large parts of the war zone in Eastern and Southern Ukraine would totally change the course of the conflict.
    IMV F16's will make a significant difference only if they are fielded in enough quantity. And sadly, Ukraine is being drip-fed them. They won't be a wonder weapon for Ukraine, and they certainly will not win the war for them. They'll be useful, but little more than that.

But yes, they should ideally have been provided much earlier.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 47,970

Sandpit said:

One of the advantages of the UK no longer being in the EU, is that no-one is really talking about EU legislation any more.

Today’s EU debate is about their plan to ban encryption and read everyone’s messages. For the children, of course.

https://it.slashdot.org/story/24/06/19/2040238/eu-chat-control-law-proposes-scanning-your-messages---even-encrypted-ones

One thing that was very little discussed in the cold civil war the country had from 2015-19 was what that leaving would exclude us from future EU legislation and it's implications.

It won't be too long before things like Low Voltage and EU directives get replaced with updated ones as they do periodically.

At the moment we are accepting CE marking indefinitely and have done with a slew of EU reguldtions what British Standards have done with hundreds of European Norms (standards), that is prefix EN with BS in the title and change nothing else.

That position might not last if the EU make radical and intrusive changes to said directives.
    This was the very issue upon which the following was said -

“The laws of mathematics are very commendable, but the only law that applies in Australia is the law of Australia,”

Either you have online security or you have vulnerability. Pick one.

Politicians come from the Law or develop the legalistic mindset. Part of this is the belief that all information should accessible to the court on demand. The idea that something is beyond the reach of the Courts and Government is deeply terrifying.

Many years ago, I met with my MP to head off an earlier version of this same comedy. Among other things, they wanted to enforce 40 bit encryption in the NHS as a *maximum* - which was already proven to be farcically inadequate. I realised after 15 minutes or so that I was doing more harm than good - in his mind, the right of the State to have, ultimately, access to everything was paramount.

We have plenty here who will ban end to end encryption - see the bills heading through parliament that would try and enforce access.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,741

Sandpit said:

One of the advantages of the UK no longer being in the EU, is that no-one is really talking about EU legislation any more.

Today’s EU debate is about their plan to ban encryption and read everyone’s messages. For the children, of course.

https://it.slashdot.org/story/24/06/19/2040238/eu-chat-control-law-proposes-scanning-your-messages---even-encrypted-ones

One thing that was very little discussed in the cold civil war the country had from 2015-19 was what that leaving would exclude us from future EU legislation and it's implications.

It won't be too long before things like Low Voltage and EU directives get replaced with updated ones as they do periodically.

At the moment we are accepting CE marking indefinitely and have done with a slew of EU reguldtions what British Standards have done with hundreds of European Norms (standards), that is prefix EN with BS in the title and change nothing else.

That position might not last if the EU make radical and intrusive changes to said directives.
    If the directives are sensible we copy them

If not, we don’t

Simples
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,055

Sean_F said:

Theoretically yes but i'd expect we'd have been hearing much more anecdotal stuff from canvassers via the media. That we arent suggests to me no, and some of the general surge is normal non voters 'doing a brexit'. Now, will they turn out? Thats critical.
    Morning all
    Face to face you are going to get a lot of shy Refukkers.
This discussion has been closed.