Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Understanding the exit poll – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    biggles said:

boulay said:

The nineties called and want their opening ceremonies back. Just need Diana Ross to bugger up a penalty kick now.

It not exactly Nessun Dorma like the last one is it?
    That was a World Cup.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,570
    edited June 14
    4% of the Scottish population is in Germany for the tournament??

I guess they’ll be back home in time to vote.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    https://x.com/pickardje/status/1801655415576449149

one senior Labour figure tells me he believes Reform will come second in most of the Red Wall - behind his party - relegating Tories to third place in those areas
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,946
    C'mon Ally's Army!
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,601
    👍 Scotland 👍
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,631
    Foxy said:

biggles said:

boulay said:

The nineties called and want their opening ceremonies back. Just need Diana Ross to bugger up a penalty kick now.

It not exactly Nessun Dorma like the last one is it?
    That was a World Cup.
    No (well yes but that’s not the one I’m referring to) Italy opened the Covid delayed euros and did it then too. Raised the roof.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    Why do the Scottish football fans sing flower of Scotland in a painfully higher pitch than the rugby fans?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314
    TimS said:

Sandpit said:

TimS said:

Rishi continues on that spectrum between tone deaf and utterly shameful:

I asked Sunak if he could assure Zelensky that 🇬🇧 will support 🇺🇦 no matter what the election result, he replied: "I can only assure him of what I would do if I were prime minister." Suggested Labour's failure to commit to a timetable on defence spending creates uncertainty.

https://x.com/hugogye/status/1801675472008286509?s=46

That’s a true statement, but not the right answer.

The right answer is that both himself and his main opponent are on the same page when it comes to Ukraine, and he is sure that Mr Starmer will honour his promises if the election were to go his way.
    I just don’t think Sunak understands foreign affairs or diplomacy. He’s never shown an interest in it, and he doesn’t have meaningful experience.

What you write above would be a no brainer for politicians attuned to diplomacy. I just don’t think he gets it. Hence D-Day.
    Yes, he has a total blind spot when it comes to history and international affairs. Why should I spend the day just shaking hands with people when I could be looking at my spreadsheets?
    Come on Nigel, it’s your song.

one senior Labour figure tells me he believes Reform will come second in most of the Red Wall - behind his party - relegating Tories to third place in those areas

Tories will be ok with that if they hold up in the blue wall more, the red wall is gone, gone, gone
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/south-sudan-beats-scotland-4-1-201102083523

"An SSFA spokesman said: “We were slightly disappointed in the scoreline and we need to do more to convert our chances. A 4-1 victory over Scotland should not give our next opponents a false sense of security.”

Tories will be ok with that if they hold up in the blue wall more, the red wall is gone, gone, gone
    Would also tell us something about the underlying realignment for next time and the time after.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    2-1 Germany, I reckon.
    biggles said:

Would also tell us something about the underlying realignment for next time and the time after.
    Indeed. Labour may struggle to fight a three plus front war in future
  • If the Tories do merge/get swallowed by Reform I suppose you could get the Conservative name back. The wonderfully paradoxical Conservative Reform Party?

Only problem is the initials for that are CRP…

Conservative Reform Alliance Pary
    Is that Gibraltar vs Wales match still going on? Have Wales scored yet?
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,446

The recent presentation at the British Polling Council gave details of the exit poll methodology

https://www.britishpollingcouncil.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2024/06/LSE-BPC-Shedding-Light-on-the-General-Election-Final-v3.pdf

• Fieldwork by Ipsos
    • Analysis - John Curtis, Steve Fisher, Jouni Kuda, Jon Mellon, Rob Ford, Patrick English, Albert Ward
    • Around 24,000 respondents in 130 polling stations
    • Same polling stations as in 2019
    • Analyse change in party vote share in each location
    • Estimate regression models based on constituency characteristics
    • Apply model to all constituencies to obtain predicted vote share for each constituency
    • Convert predicted vote share into estimated probability party wins each constituency
    • Exit poll prediction is sum of estimated probabilities for each constituency
    I would have thought that the points of uncertainty would be
    1. Are the polling stations representative? Given the significant change in the political world, the polling stations may not be as useful in a normal election with small changes. If there are uniform changes throughout the UK it may not matter, but if the changes are localised and variable it makes it more difficult. This suggests that there may be greater challenges predicting the smaller parties.
    2. Is the regression model fit for purpose?
    3. They identify the change in constituencies, and changes in polling stations as new issues.
    The methodology is proven and mostly unchanged as is the team.
    They would hope to have a good coverage of the different characteristics along which change sin vote might vary - so a good geographical spread, a good spread of income, job mix, age, education, etc.

So the main risk would be if there was an axis along which vote changes were markedly different, that they hadn't sampled, or didn't have in their regression model. Maybe if, somehow, they'd only sampled areas that still mostly got their news from the BBC, and so missed areas with more people who got their news from youtube. (But I don't see how that would happen).

Obvs, they're not going to have the coverage to pick up local effects due to particularly good candidates, or independent campaigns, so they're not going to provide a great steer on how well the Ashfield Independents will do.

The biggest risk, as with normal opinion polls, is a non-response bias. if, say, 10% of the people they asked to participate refused to do so, and those were mostly Reform voters who distrusted the exit poll as part of "them", then that would skew the results.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112

biggles said:

It potentially gives Reform the regional concentration you need under FPTP to make progress. See Lib Dems, SNP and Plaid.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    That’s a Scotland team packed full of…. Football players
    boulay said:

Why do the Scottish football fans sing flower of Scotland in a painfully higher pitch than the rugby fans?

Doesn't really work anyway except at Murrayfield or Twickenham.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,962
    Most unpopular commitment in the various manifestos is Labour's commitment to votes at 16. Something I find utterly bizarre, not just because I live in a country where votes start at 16 and is completely uncontroversial. But people elsewhere are very negative.

https://twitter.com/mattholehouse/status/1801591460279546003
    TimS said:

biggles said:

It potentially gives Reform the regional concentration you need under FPTP to make progress. See Lib Dems, SNP and Plaid.
    Yes, it also pushes the Tories into the Midlands and South plus rural Yorkshire.
    What a fascinating election. Will make projections into 2029 very tricky!
    edited June 14

biggles said:

Actually, here’s a thought. What if Reform/Tories don’t formally merge so much as end up in different geographies like the CDU/CSU in Germany or Liberals/Nats in Australia? They then form a less formal alliance.

Cameroons in the SW and the Home Counties. Farage in Essex and the red wall.
  • Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Don’t bet against Sir John. The official exit poll has been ridiculously accurate for the past few elections, and hasn’t really failed since 1992, when they predicted Major to be a few seats short rather than a few seats over the line.

What was the exit poll for Brexit ref? Surely there was one? Or were they all private??
    I don't believe so - because it was a one-off. They couldn't compare with past EU referendum patterns and so could not hope for a reliable result

boulay said:

Doesn't really work anyway except at Murrayfield or Twickenham.
    It was just weirdly high pitched. Now I’m no fan of flower of Scotland because of too many losses I’ve had to watch to Scotland in the Six Nations but it’s a fine song that just rises above a dirge at The rugby by virtue of being sung by lots of people but that was just unpleasant.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420

boulay said:

boulay said:

Heathener said:

boulay said:

Heathener said:

Carnyx said:

Heathener said:

Heathener said:

Meanwhile, I have been 'exit polled’. It was in 2015 when I had just voted for Cameron’s Conservatives (@TSE take note!).

And there WAS a man outside with a clipboard asking how I had just voted. It was part of the official exit poll - he showed me the ID.

(And, no, his address wasn’t in Ibadan ;) )

I guess they've refined their techniques since then. Continuous improvement is a good attitude we could all usefully adopt.

But you have to admit to possible error, which people often find difficult.
    Yes indeed.

I was registered at the time in Norfolk and unbeknown to me that particularly polling station is on the exit poll roster. IIRC they sampled every 10th person leaving the polling station or something like that (I asked them ‘why me?’). Anyway it was all official and I felt quite excited at being part of the famous 10pm tally.

I wouldn’t bet against Curtice and team either!

But I would note that they have their work cut out this time because there could be more tactical voting than ever before and likely some curious anomalous swings going on.
    Pleasant interview with Sir J here this very afternoon, raising the same issue.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jun/14/elections-guru-john-curtice-exit-polls
    Curtice sounds like a lovely chap. And the son of a carpenter (has a certain historical ring to it).

I quite like this ‘my dad was a X, Y, Z’ fad at the moment, but it’s good to see his mum getting a mention: market researcher.

Nice article. Thank you for linking it.

xx
    What your father did is surely less important than how they were. Not going to say what mine did but he was a magnificent man, loving, funny, gave shedloads to charity but more importantly gave his time to people who needed help. I remember being in a car with him when I was a fit and healthy 21 year old and we saw a motorcyclist hit by a car at a junction and I swear I could not have acted and run over to help faster than my father did, stopped the car and just ran out to help the kid.

He would have been him if he had been a milkman, an accountant or a king.

So the whole “my father was a toolmaker” stuff is irrelevant - there have been arsehole toolmakers and arsehole people with other jobs.
    +1

What a lovely man he sounded. Did the kid make it? :(

Footie time for me now.

xx
    The kid sadly didn’t make it, in his hurry to help him my father forgot to put the car in neutral and the handbrake on and it kept going and ran the guy over. Sad times. Only joking, yes he did.

Pedantically leaving the car in gear, or park if automatic, would have saved the day.
    Yes, in my fantasy comedy accidental death scenario I didn’t think about the best way to leave the car set up. I should have said “drive” not neutral.
    You had automatics growing up? You lucky bastard. We had a 3 wheel supermarket trolley we had to double declutch. And push backwards oop t'ills.
    You ‘ad ‘trolley? Luuuuuxuuuuuury!

{pry bars open a double case of magnums of Chateau de Chassilier}

We were poor. But ‘appy…..
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    biggles said:

biggles said:

Actually, here’s a thought. What if Reform/Tories don’t formally merge so much as end up in different geographies like the CDU/CSU in Germany or Liberals/Nats in Australia? They then form a less formal alliance.

And at least partly like Labour and Lib Dems.

Frankly the UK could do with more regionalist parties. We are way too centralised. It would push us to greater devolution.

I'm standing by my hunch that the Portillo moment will be a prominent Labour MP losing to Reform. An Yvette Cooper or an Ed Miliband.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

C'mon Ally's Army!

Is that a good omen?

Wasn't that Argentina 1978 when Willie Johnston was sent home in disgrace?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,722

If the Tories do merge/get swallowed by Reform I suppose you could get the Conservative name back. The wonderfully paradoxical Conservative Reform Party?

Would it still be the political party at prayer? Holy CRAP?
  • RattersRatters Posts: 1,007
    TimS said:

One of those fun political quizzes based on the manifestos.

Says I should vote Lib Dem, surprise surprise.

https://www.thetimes.com/article/285d9d36-830a-4847-b237-4cdc780edf38?shareToken=6b258d21f828373c026aaf27b17bb412

15 out of 17 for Lib Dems.

Their opposition to building on the green belt the main let down. Hopefully Labour do that part of their manifesto (house building etc) given they are the only party not beholden to the leafy suburbs.

C'mon Ally's Army!

Is that a good omen?

I, for one, have been blasting out Del Amitri’s “Don’t Come Home Too Soon” all evening.
    Interesting advertising pitchside for BYD. The “Chinese Tesla” that the EU have just slapped a 38% tariff on imports.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,272

If the Tories do merge/get swallowed by Reform I suppose you could get the Conservative name back. The wonderfully paradoxical Conservative Reform Party?

On same truth-in-advertising principle as (in)famous Committee to Re-Elect the President = CREEP.
    Germany score
    Whoops
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    Sandpit said:

Interesting advertising pitchside for BYD. The “Chinese Tesla” that the EU have just slapped a 38% tariff on imports.

Am not sure I can watch Euro 2024, Lidl are one of the sponsors!

FFS!

Lidl!
    Boooo
    1-0 to Germany
    edited June 14
    Sandpit said:

They actually went very soft on BYD. It's only a tariff of 17.4%;.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_24_3231

C'mon Ally's Army!

Is that a good omen?

Indeed!

Sandpit said:

Am not sure I can watch Euro 2024, Lidl are one of the sponsors!

FFS!

Lidl!
    German supermarket. New branch opened in Ilford North a couple of months ago!
    lol

Germany are vastly superior

4:0
    Scotland to do a Sunak and leave early?

C'mon Ally's Army!

Is that a good omen?

We're going to the Argentine
    And we'll really shake em up
    When we win the world cup
    Cos Scotland are the greatest fitba team

Weirdly only 5 years before fatcha was called a colonialist pig for calling it the Argentine.
    Leon said:

lol

Germany are vastly superior

4:0

It only works for Scotland if you really mean it.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,574
    FF43 said:

Most unpopular commitment in the various manifestos is Labour's commitment to votes at 16. Something I find utterly bizarre, not just because I live in a country where votes start at 16 and is completely uncontroversial. But people elsewhere are very negative.

https://twitter.com/mattholehouse/status/1801591460279546003

Those who pushed for this in those countries might now be regretting their decision…
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437

Boooo

Oh dear. Scottish goalkeeping reminiscent of times past.
    Sandpit said:

Chinese audience for the footy?
    biggles said:

biggles said:

Could well be yeah. I think though its more likely we get a realignment. A populist split and a centrist option throwing their lot in with Norman Wisdom the comedy stunt leader
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139

Blue sky strategy to save the Tories: Liz Truss should sue for unfair dismissal and get herself reinstated as PM, then cancel the election because Sunak wasn't the legitimate PM and give herself six months to turn things around.

Neither was she.
  • Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 680

We couldn't beat a rock - but at least we weren't beaten by a supermarket. Twice.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,750
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Hillary into 30 for Dem nomination.......madness

The first debate is on June 27th, well before the convention. I’m still not convinced the Dems don’t swap Biden out if he turns up clearly not all with it.

But if they do swap him out, just about the worst person imaginable to replace him is Hillary Clinton.
    This shadowy group of people who can swap him out simply doesn't exist except in the minds of people who watch and follow too much MAGA.

Biden can't get pushed out, if he withdraws the nominee will be Harris.
    But Harris would now be a better bet than Biden I reckon. She can at least walk
    Both are, at least, sane.
    edited June 14

C'mon Ally's Army!

Is that a good omen?

Weirdly only 5 years before fatcha was called a colonialist pig for calling it the Argentine.
    Yes, they did for Cruyff and co but found the Ayatollah/Shah and Paddington too much
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,520
    Princess of Wales to make public appearance at Trooping the Colour.

A cautiously positive sign for her recovery , hopefully.
    biggles said:

C'mon Ally's Army!

Is that a good omen?

I, for one, have been blasting out Del Amitri’s “Don’t Come Home Too Soon” all evening.
    Glasgow rock bands are sadly as good at failing as Scottish football teams. Aztec camera, del Amitri, Fratellis. In the latter 2 cases football anthems seem to be the kiss of death.
    Penddu2 said:

We couldn't beat a rock - but at least we weren't beaten by a supermarket. Twice.
    Bejam are a tough nut to crack you know!
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,252

C'mon Ally's Army!

Is that a good omen?

Yes, they did for Cruyff and co but found the Ayatollah/Shah and Paddington too much
    Cruyff had retired by 1978.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,574

Or for Britain’s nascent cloning industry.

C'mon Ally's Army!

Is that a good omen?

Isn't that how General Galtieri referred to Kenny Burns?
    2:0

C'mon Ally's Army!

Is that a good omen?

He had? I was only little. I thought he played in 78, oh well
    Oh dear.
    This is sub optimal for Scotland

Sandpit said:

Chinese audience for the footy?
    Nope, they’re trying to sell them in Europe now, and the EU are trying to stop them becuase they’re way cheaper than their European-made competitors. The suggestion is that the Chinese government are subsidising these companies.
    Bye bye Scotland
    What do we reckon, a rugby score or a cricket score for Scotland?
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    nico679 said:

Ben Riley-Smith
    @benrileysmith
    NEW

Labour is now explicitly ruling out putting Capital Gains Tax on people’s main homes.

Labour spokesman: “No. Labour will not introduce capital gains taxes on primary residences. It’s a bad idea.”

===

Of course they are. It is electoral suicide.

They should have put taxes up on the highest earners and got rid of the two child benefit cap . They’ve backed themselves into a corner. The vast majority of the population don’t care about tax rises as long as they don’t effect them personally .
    Well duh
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272

C'mon Ally's Army!

Is that a good omen?

From internationals yes.
    He was the subject of a kidnap attempt.
    And decided to go lower profile.
    Played in the US and back in Holland till 1984.
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,601
    Any MRPs later?
    Perhaps Scotland should stick to the the cricket.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    This is going as well as the Tory campaign.
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,860
    dixiedean said:

Steve Clark the surprise secret mastermind behind Rishi’s campaign.

biggles said:

C'mon Ally's Army!

Is that a good omen?

Glasgow rock bands are sadly as good at failing as Scottish football teams. Aztec camera, del Amitri, Fratellis. In the latter 2 cases football anthems seem to be the kiss of death.
    Every so often I feel a strange urge to listen to Del Amitri, Waking hours in full. Only ever in autumn or winter. I’ve no idea why, I like it but not like other groups I listen to full albums by. Maybe it’s a good album or maybe it’s just associated with a time and place. Aztec Camera is just one song that gets played a lot at parties and is a classic, the Frattelis Chelsea Dagger is one of the most overplayed ordinary songs .
    RobD said:

Or for Britain’s nascent cloning industry.
    Gen LOL
    dixiedean said:

Does Rishi get to go to VAR?
    Anyone with an American accent should be banned from football commentary.
    Gilmore on. Roll some dice.
    IanB2 said:

Who is she?
    Germany utterly taking that Scottish defence apart though. Has the potential to be a punishment beating scoreline.
  • JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 682

What a shit opening ceremony

Farage at a new beer hall in Munich ??

Ein Volk .. Ein Party .. Ein Leader .. Ein Seat
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,252
    edited June 14
    dixiedean said:

C'mon Ally's Army!

Is that a good omen?

From internationals yes.
    He was the subject of a kidnap attempt.
    And decided to go lower profile.
    Played in the US and back in Holland till 1984.
    Yes, the point is he wasn’t in Argentina for the 1978 World Cup finals. Still a pretty decent Holland side and I can remember Archie Gemill putting Scotland 3-1 up with 20 minutes to go.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,722
    If Scotland can come back from this, Rishi can still be PM in mid-July.....
    Ghedebrav said:

Germany utterly taking that Scottish defence apart though. Has the potential to be a punishment beating scoreline.

Scotland giving them far too much space and time on the ball.
    IanB2 said:

Why?
    edited June 14
    This is what real countries do to Germany in Münich.

• ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,532
    boulay said:

biggles said:

C'mon Ally's Army!

Is that a good omen?

Every so often I feel a strange urge to listen to Del Amitri, Waking hours in full. Only ever in autumn or winter. I’ve no idea why, I like it but not like other groups I listen to full albums by. Maybe it’s a good album or maybe it’s just associated with a time and place. Aztec Camera is just one song that gets played a lot at parties and is a classic, the Frattelis Chelsea Dagger is one of the most overplayed ordinary songs .
    Momus is still going strong - cousin of the lead singer of Del Amatri.
    boulay said:

IanB2 said:

Why?
    Ian's still bitter over 1950.
    Foxy said:

Ghedebrav said:

Scotland giving them far too much space and time on the ball.
    They’re a yard behind, if they’re moving at all. Germany very bright and slick. An appealing team.
    This is so one sided its boring

boulay said:

IanB2 said:

Why?
    Or 1776.

If Scotland can come back from this, Rishi can still be PM in mid-July.....

Is he transferring to Labour?
    boulay said:

boulay said:

IanB2 said:

Why?
    Or 1776.
    Nah, 1776 was the year we decided we'd rather have India than America.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139
    Prediction: Starmer will be a one-term Prime Minister.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,532

C'mon Ally's Army!

Is that a good omen?

I have a faint memory of :

When we nick the world cup
    Cos Scotland are a rubbish fitba team
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,089
    eek said:

Just got Yougoved for specifics of how I would vote in my constituency with the named candidates. I presume this is for a future MRP poll?

Mentioned that to Mrs Eek so she went to Yougov. Didn’t get that question just who out of the last 5 PMs is responsible for the current Tory situation.

A harder decision than you would expect as all hold some responsibility albeit May only because of her desire to fix social care
    Yep I got that question. I put Sunak. Personally I believe that no matter how dire a situation you inherit there is always some scope to improve - perhaps even more so if the situation is really dire. The fact that Sunak has done nothing to improve things for the country as a wholeand has actually mangaed to make them worse says everything I need to know about him.

boulay said:

boulay said:

IanB2 said:

Why?
    Or 1776.
    Nah, 1776 was the year we decided we'd rather have India than America.
    It was the correct choice.
    Leon said:

The football tonight is no better
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,688
    Leon said:

Are you talking about the football or the election?
This discussion has been closed.