Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

What to do if and when crossover happens – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,378

I am these days wary of Opinium's methodology when last week TSE indicated no change in raw data, but a modest swing from Labour to Con. I will be less sceptical if the raw data is also trending towards the Cons/Reform/LDs.

That said I suspect Opinium are on the more realistic and dropping Labour level.

Opinium have dropped Labour's level from 41% on 24 May to 42% now.

Seriously, nothing has changed with Opinium's Labour level for months - everything is MOE.
  • ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,149

Scott_xP said:

@Phillip_Blond
    Significant chat that Sunak may resign - can’t believe that myself. But I can imagine the stress is immense and it will only grow. When Reform get crossover they will start arguing that a Conservative vote is a wasted ballot and then …. it will only get worse.

Interesting,

How well-connected to current Tory sources is Philip Blond, I wonder ?
    Not very I’d imagine
  • AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,415
    darkage said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Still think that Sunak needs to man up and take on Farage. Farage is a one trick pony.

It's a trick Sunak has no meaningful counter to, and the Tory base know it - Farage would eat him alive.
    Someone needs to start telling the truth about Farage's zero immigration thing: it's stupider and more harmful than any policy Corbyn ever came up with.

Farage is Corbyn on coke.
    It's zero net immigration, not zero immigration. Arguably it is far too liberal.
    net zero immigration. Quite a good line.

The problem is that surely the correct policy should really be to encourage young people to move and settle in the UK and start families here; either that or you have to massively incentivise people to have children, which they aren't doing in sufficient numbers at present.
    The simplest way of getting to net zero immigration would be to force people to emigrate on their 68th birthday...
  • bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,631
    I was going to say “don’t die wondering” but we might want the NRR I guess.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627
    edited June 8
    Looking at the table.

England can't realistically qualify if they lose this.

And they have lost this. They have to hit all the remaining balls for 6.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    MattW said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Jonathan said:

Nunu5 said:

Jonathan said:

So Farage is a damp squib, that’s what the polls seem to say. Someone needs to kick Sunak out of his depression.

I think we need to wait a little longer for the D day effect
    It’s interesting that Daily Mail of all things has a leading story predicting a Labour majority in the 400s. They normally hide this stuff.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13509231/conservatives-election-wipeout-labour-majority-mail-sunday-poll.html

"His constituents living in Catterick Garrison previously said his decision to ditch the commemoration on June 6 was 'disgusting'."

He could be unseated. Seriously. Was already showing as being more marginal than people thought. He represents a major garrison town and shat on the armed forces...
    I don't think I've used my image today yet. The % of veterans in Richmond constituency in 2021.

Presumably active armed forces in Catterick Garrison (the biggest one, allegedly), are on top of this 8%.

I note the ones on the list are all major military bases so presumably veterans settle where they know.
    How many soldiers does Catterick Garrison have?
    around 13,000 people

Catterick Garrison is also home to the Army Medical Services Training Centre and the Royal Army Veterinary Corps Training Centre. The garrison has a population of around 13,000 people, including military personnel and their families.

From Google Nugget.

So together that is ~10k adults on base, and ~8k off base, so in an electorate of ~84,000 that is just over 20%. Hmm.

I can't find Richmond (Yorks) in the constituency markets. On Betfair X Rishi is 30/100, which is lower than I would expect.
    Bet 365 has Lab on 3.25 to take the seat FWIW.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    England need to watch their NRR here. They aren't even trying to get close.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112

Nunu5 said:

Here's an interesting question, for those left leaning who support PR.

If you could have PR BUT the first election under it led to a guaranteed Tory/Reform Coalition, would you still have it or keep FPTP?

I'd want PR on a point of principle. It is then up to the voters to decide what to do with real democracy.
    The only argument against PR is continuity. We’ve been FPTP for centuries so why change. On any logical understanding of democracy PR of some sort is a no brainer.

And multi member constituencies under STV preserve the local MP link while protecting you from the bad luck of a shit one. Imagine if you were a resident of Clacton or South West Norfolk after the next election and needed to talk to your MP about something like the local hospital.
  • DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 1,127
    edited June 8
    dixiedean said:

Having made my PR statement I favour STV in multi member constituencies of between 3 and 5. Like Ireland. That would keep the traditional Parties together.

Much more likely Starmer would have the Welsh system, constituencies of six members, closed party list d'Hondt. Like the worst kind of PR.

DavidL said:

Unless Scotland/Oman is cancelled, the NRR is more irrelevant than a DfE policy on safeguarding.
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,251
    MattW said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Jonathan said:

Nunu5 said:

Jonathan said:

So Farage is a damp squib, that’s what the polls seem to say. Someone needs to kick Sunak out of his depression.

It’s interesting that Daily Mail of all things has a leading story predicting a Labour majority in the 400s. They normally hide this stuff.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13509231/conservatives-election-wipeout-labour-majority-mail-sunday-poll.html

"His constituents living in Catterick Garrison previously said his decision to ditch the commemoration on June 6 was 'disgusting'."

He could be unseated. Seriously. Was already showing as being more marginal than people thought. He represents a major garrison town and shat on the armed forces...
    I don't think I've used my image today yet. The % of veterans in Richmond constituency in 2021.

Presumably active armed forces in Catterick Garrison (the biggest one, allegedly), are on top of this 8%.

I note the ones on the list are all major military bases so presumably veterans settle where they know.
    around 13,000 people

Catterick Garrison is also home to the Army Medical Services Training Centre and the Royal Army Veterinary Corps Training Centre. The garrison has a population of around 13,000 people, including military personnel and their families.

From Google Nugget.

So together that is ~10k adults on base, and ~8k off base, so in an electorate of ~84,000 that is just over 20%. Hmm.

I can't find Richmond (Yorks) in the constituency markets. On Betfair X Rishi is 30/100, which is lower than I would expect.
    Our resident squaddie, Dura Ace, tells us that there wasn't much reaction to the D-Day thing from those in service.

Not sure Rishi is entirely safe though. I expect he's lost the pensioner vote locally.
    54 off of 12 balls - should be a doddle
    Six sixes off this penultimate over and we can… lose with dignity.

54 off of 12 balls - should be a doddle

Yes it is.

For Australia.
  • NovoNovo Posts: 60
    MattW said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Jonathan said:

Nunu5 said:

Jonathan said:

around 13,000 people

From Google Nugget.

I commented about this yesterday.There is also an RAF base at Leeming. I managed to get £25 on Labour at 7-2.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,454
    DM_Andy said:

dixiedean said:

Having made my PR statement I favour STV in multi member constituencies of between 3 and 5. Like Ireland. That would keep the traditional Parties together.

Much more likely Starmer would have the Welsh system, constituencies of six members, closed party list d'Hondt. Like the worst kind of PR.

That's not d'Hondt but deliberately buggered d'Hondt - or does Scotland only have the latter? The one which gives the opposite effec to FPTP.
    DM_Andy said:

dixiedean said:

Which is why we need to elect plenty of Lib Dems in this parliament to make the case.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Unless Scotland/Oman is cancelled, the NRR is more irrelevant than a DfE policy on safeguarding.
    Does the NRR from the No Result with Scotland count?
    ydoethur said:

Looking at the table.

England can't realistically qualify if they lose this.

And they have lost this. They have to hit all the remaining balls for 6.

If England and Scotland both beat Oman it may well come down to NRR which is why England are being foolish here.
    dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Does the NRR from the No Result with Scotland count?
    No - it's zero
    Novo said:

MattW said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Jonathan said:

Nunu5 said:

Jonathan said:

around 13,000 people

From Google Nugget.

I commented about this yesterday.There is also an RAF base at Leeming. I managed to get £25 on Labour at a 7-2.
    It isn’t that simple. Many won’t live/vote there for a start.
  • MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    DavidL said:

biggles said:

Need another 20 run over, now, to even make the Aussies sweat.

Wouldn't be enough. Australia's bowling much smarter than England's was.
    England middle order batting quite securely now. Should still be there at tea.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    dixiedean said:

You would either have to have huge constituencies or an enormous number of MPs under that system.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,541

I am these days wary of Opinium's methodology when last week TSE indicated no change in raw data, but a modest swing from Labour to Con. I will be less sceptical if the raw data is also trending towards the Cons/Reform/LDs.

That said I suspect Opinium are on the more realistic and dropping Labour level.

Opinium have dropped Labour's level from 41% on 24 May to 42% now.

Seriously, nothing has changed with Opinium's Labour level for months - everything is MOE.
    The only number to change has been "time until the next election"- three and a half weeks and falling.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,845
    edited June 8
    On Philip Blond, he might not be totally out of the loop.

A quick bit of digging reveals that James Forsyth, for instance, has a senior position on Blond's Respublica thinktank's advisory board, and James Forsyth is something of a Sunak insider. So if he claims that there's "chat": of Sunak considering resigning, there might be something in it.
    DM_Andy said:

dixiedean said:

It would be a hard no from me for any closed list system.
    Exception being some form of top up system. Say 500 FPTP and a rebalancing 150 proportionally.
    Even then I'd favour the best polling losers rather than a Party List.
    Australia only on 99.9% chance of winning, a bit like Labour then.
    edited June 8
    First projection of the overall Euro election results:

https://x.com/europeelects/status/1799536712168673450?s=46

Solid rise for the populist right but hardly a revolution. Roughly in line with Refuk polling here.

Biggest losers the greens.

DavidL said:

biggles said:

Need another 20 run over, now, to even make the Aussies sweat.

Wouldn't be enough. Australia's bowling much smarter than England's was.
    England middle order batting quite securely now. Should still be there at tea.
    Exactly like Middlesex. They often bat for the draw in the Blast.
  • NovoNovo Posts: 60
    biggles said:

Novo said:

MattW said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Jonathan said:

Nunu5 said:

Jonathan said:

around 13,000 people

From Google Nugget.

I commented about this yesterday.There is also an RAF base at Leeming. I managed to get £25 on Labour at a 7-2.
    If you drive through the Camp that’s not the impression you get. Loads of people living on site.

Australia only on 99.9% chance of winning, a bit like Labour then.

Nah, its not nearly as close as that.
  • Clutch_BromptonClutch_Brompton Posts: 699
    Savanta poll is the mirror of the Opinium one. Following a movement to Con last week it has swung back this. Savanta does move around a little more but this was by far the Cons friendliest poll and it now has a 20% margin. We are back to everyone having a lead of over 15% - which was where we were before the campaign

Savanta leads - 17, 18, 18, 21, 15, 18, 16, 18, 17, 17, 14, 20

This is in a context where Cons have posted their lowest percentage with one regular pollster and have matched their lowest Truss era poll in two others.
  • wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,946
    edited June 8
    DM_Andy said:

dixiedean said:

I'd probably go for a holyrood style system but modified. 500 FPTP constituencies plus 100 top up proportional seats across the regions and nations (9 regions, 3 nations, 7 to 10 each) and 'up to' 33 additional members - every party exceeding 3% of the national vote gets a guaranteed MP
    Edit - plus I'd offer Gibraltar a referendum on joining the UK, retaining their existing arrangement but getting 1 MP.
    Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

You would either have to have huge constituencies or an enormous number of MPs under that system.
    A lot of the constituencies would be county or small city size - not too bad.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040
    dixiedean said:

It’s a matter of principle. If an election resulted in the victory of parties to which I was opposed, so be it!
    Some interesting comments tonight - especially @Richard_Tyndall - and food for thought.

Slightly surprisingly, nobody seems to be necking the Buckfast either, seeing as it's Saturday.
    Just 50 required off the last over, no problem.
    TimS said:

First projection of the overall Euro election results:

https://x.com/europeelects/status/1799536712168673450?s=46

Solid rise for the populist right but hardly a revolution. Roughly in line with Refuk polling here.

Biggest losers the greens.

The “grand coalition” is gone though, so presumably the liberals or greens get more of a say on the agenda.

ECR will have to have some rapporteurs I think, from memory.
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077

dixiedean said:

It’s a matter of principle. If an election resulted in the victory of parties to which I was opposed, so be it!
    My problem with it is that in coalitions minor parties can become disproportionately powerful.

Fact is, there’s no perfect system.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481
    Novo said:

biggles said:

Novo said:

MattW said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Jonathan said:

Nunu5 said:

Jonathan said:

around 13,000 people

From Google Nugget.

If you drive through the Camp that’s not the impression you get. Loads of people living on site.
    Temporarily....
  • Clutch_BromptonClutch_Brompton Posts: 699
    On topic - am I alone in thinking there won't be a Ref/Con cross-over this weekend or anytime this campaign. There can always be a rogue poll and Redfield Wilton or YouGov are friendly to Ref but a pattern of polls putting Ref second seems very unlikely. D-Day was bad but short of Sunak turning up in full nazi re-enactors uniform it wasn't going to do that.
  • HeathenerHeathener Posts: 7,077
    Carnyx said:

Some interesting comments tonight - especially @Richard_Tyndall - and food for thought.

Slightly surprisingly, nobody seems to be necking the Buckfast either, seeing as it's Saturday.

I’ve enjoyed it on here tonight

WIll turn in soon so night all

xx

Just 50 required off the last over, no problem.

England got a wide, they just need 30 more.
    Novo said:

biggles said:

Novo said:

MattW said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Jonathan said:

Nunu5 said:

Jonathan said:

around 13,000 people

From Google Nugget.

Not at the weekend/permanently.

Depends what we are discussing. Catterick is kids. There for a while only and registered at their parents if old enough to vote. Leeming will see lots go home at the weekend.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528

A quick bit of digging reveals that James Forsyth, for instance, has a senior position on Blond's Respublica thinktank's advisory board, and James Forsyth is something of a Sunak insider. So if he reports "chat": of Sunak considering resigning, there might be something in it.

"something of a Sunak insider" - they were at school together and Sunak was best man at his wedding

edited June 8
    Posted on www.espncricinfo.com:

Leon: "NRR? If Scotland win tomorrow, England are out " Not quite. They've still got to face Australia

Is he moonlighting?
  • CleitophonCleitophon Posts: 465
    edited June 8
    If you want to.know why the country is in the state it is in, look no further than to the tory campaign. The same talent running that, is running the country ...all of it🤯🤯🤯🤯 I am surprised the bloody wheels haven't come off altogether.

• DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084
    Scott_xP said:

@Phillip_Blond
    Significant chat that Sunak may resign - can’t believe that myself. But I can imagine the stress is immense and it will only grow. When Reform get crossover they will start arguing that a Conservative vote is a wasted ballot and then …. it will only get worse.

The other day I said Rishi looked deflated on the D-Day apology interview so it would not surprise me if he wants to throw in the towel but I really cannot see it actually happening. What would be the point?
    Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

The constituencies would be bigger, sure. But that isn't an insurmountable issue. Take a look at some of the Canadian FPTP ones. No reason why you couldn't speak to your MP Online.
    Cumbria would probably be a 5 member constituency. So would the City of Manchester.
    You could also speak with an MP more likely to "get" your particular issue.
    My previous MP was more loyal than @ HYUFD. No point lobbying him, or moaning about a government policy that adversely affected me.
    The Conservative government, in whichever iteration it was at the time, was always correct, wise and benevolent.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,089
    edited June 8
    Heathener said:

Carnyx said:

I’ve enjoyed it on here tonight

WIll turn in soon so night all

xx
    Sleep well and thanks for the discussion.
    I apologise for my wild optimism earlier. The winning margin was 36 not 20. England conceded far too many runs, especially in the power play. They need to drop Bairstow. He is out of sorts. Australia look the best team in the tournament for me.
    Heathener said:

dixiedean said:

My problem with it is that in coalitions minor parties can become disproportionately powerful.

Fact is, there’s no perfect system.
    In FPTP minor cabals within parties become disproportionately powerful. Only we get no say at all in those.

On topic - am I alone in thinking there won't be a Ref/Con cross-over this weekend or anytime this campaign. There can always be a rogue poll and Redfield Wilton or YouGov are friendly to Ref but a pattern of polls putting Ref second seems very unlikely. D-Day was bad but short of Sunak turning up in full nazi re-enactors uniform it wasn't going to do that.

The minus 4 in Deltapoll tonight will make bums squeaky, but it could just be a knee jerk (and is only minus 2 from the 2 previous Deltas before last during the campaign), but a sustained Reform second place now seems unlikely.
    edited June 8
    geoffw said:

A quick bit of digging reveals that James Forsyth, for instance, has a senior position on Blond's Respublica thinktank's advisory board, and James Forsyth is something of a Sunak insider. So if he reports "chat": of Sunak considering resigning, there might be something in it.

"something of a Sunak insider" - they were at school together and Sunak was best man at his wedding

Well quite.

So maybe Phiiip Blond really does know something.
  • londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,601
    We can still get through if we win our last two group games

#optimism
    Just had a look at the candidates for Sunak’s constituency. There are THIRTEEN in all, including four Independents.

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

My borough, Lewisham, has 3 seats. One multi member constituency here would make sense. London has 73, so if we instead had between 20 and 25 across the city I don’t think that would be an issue at all.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084
    edited June 8

Scott_xP said:

@Phillip_Blond

Interesting,

Wrong question, since Tory sources have been repeatedly blindsided by Rishi who seems to be consulting no-one outside a very small team, even assuming he speaks to them.

ETA but see WhisperingOracle's revelation of a possible link from Blond to James Forsyth to Rishi.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

My borough, Lewisham, has 3 seats. One multi member constituency here would make sense. London has 73, so if we instead had between 20 and 25 across the city I don’t think that would be an issue at all.
    Some counties would have just one seat.
    dixiedean said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

The constituencies would be bigger, sure. But that isn't an insurmountable issue. Take a look at some of the Canadian FPTP ones. No reason why you couldn't speak to your MP Online.
    Cumbria would probably be a 5 member constituency. So would the City of Manchester.
    You could also speak with an MP more likely to "get" your particular issue.
    My previous MP was more loyal than @ HYUFD. No point lobbying him, or moaning about a government policy that adversely affected me.
    The Conservative government, in whichever iteration it was at the time, was always correct, wise and benevolent.
    What's more.
    I believe it's time for a Labour government. So I will vote for them.
    Unfortunately, my only option to express this desire is to cast a vote for Ian Lavery.
    I can only think of a couple of Labour candidates I'd less like to express my confidence in.
    I can think of plenty of others in the Tories (and other Parties) I'd be more proud to say was my
    MP.
    But I can't express my wish to vote Labour by voting for anyone else.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    edited June 8

MattW said:

Foxy said:

MattW said:

Jonathan said:

Nunu5 said:

Jonathan said:

around 13,000 people

From Google Nugget.

Our resident squaddie, Dura Ace, tells us that there wasn't much reaction to the D-Day thing from those in service.

Not sure Rishi is entirely safe though. I expect he's lost the pensioner vote locally.
    I don't understand why the pensioner voter should be so exercised by Sunak's fairly minor error. Unless they are circa 84/85 everyone avoided National Service, and they'd be approaching 100 to have served during WW2.

Come on Rishi, come out fighting. It's not like the horror-struck journeyman hacks pulled on the khaki and did their bit for King and country, so they are in no position to condemn either.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,226
    AlsoLei said:

darkage said:

Farooq said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Still think that Sunak needs to man up and take on Farage. Farage is a one trick pony.

It's a trick Sunak has no meaningful counter to, and the Tory base know it - Farage would eat him alive.
    Someone needs to start telling the truth about Farage's zero immigration thing: it's stupider and more harmful than any policy Corbyn ever came up with.

Farage is Corbyn on coke.
    It's zero net immigration, not zero immigration. Arguably it is far too liberal.
    net zero immigration. Quite a good line.

The problem is that surely the correct policy should really be to encourage young people to move and settle in the UK and start families here; either that or you have to massively incentivise people to have children, which they aren't doing in sufficient numbers at present.
    The simplest way of getting to net zero immigration would be to force people to emigrate on their 68th birthday...
    Overseas care homes and overseas jails.

Should be worth a few hundred thousands emigrants.

Can be funded through the foreign aid budget.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

Rutland will feel abolished.
    edited June 8

Scott_xP said:

@Phillip_Blond

Interesting,

Wrong question, since Tory sources have been repeatedly blindsided by Rishi who seems to be consulting no-one outside a very small team, even assuming he speaks to them.
    We could speculate all night I suppose, but even from a quick preliminary scout about it does look as if some members of Sunak's brand of innermost circle that you're describing might also be known to Philip Blond.

On your question of why, if he is considering this, I think it would to be partly to protect his reputation and not receive all the blame.
    Has there been any Conservative politicians revealing that they didn't know that Sunak would come home early ?

Because there must have numerous senior Conservatives who knew that he was going to - Cameron and Shapps for starters.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,866
    DM_Andy said:

dixiedean said:

That would be my choice. But slightly larger constituencies. Say 8 members each.
    Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

With 3 or more MPs. More representation.
    edited June 8
    This has been fairly widely reported today: https://www.ft.com/content/2a957523-c747-4191-be1d-bf174b2e359a

£800 of tax rises whoever wins the election. And yes, that is a year, not over 4 years. I do recall writing the same on here on Thursday. This may come from a think tank but anyone looking at the deficit could surely see this.

So, on Sunak's measure this is £3,200 not £2000 and his party would have to do it too. We are spending truly absurd amounts of money compared with our income. It cannot go on.
  • AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 1,415

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

Yes, you'd think it would appeal to traditionalists: use existing counties and boroughs as constituencies with 3-5 MPs each. Very few changes needed, and it would avoid the worst of the "Cumbernauld, Kilsyth and Kirkintilloch South"-type names that we have today.
    One thing that isn't mentioned much is how young Sunak is.

Born in 1980 so almost in the 'millennial' generation.

I wonder if Sunak has ever read a Commando comic, built an Airfix model or watched a B&W war film on a Sunday afternoon.
    Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

Hmmmm
    Norwich South, Norwich North, Norfolk South
    Mid Norfolk, SW Norfolk, NW Norfolk
    Great Yarmouth, North Norfolk, Broadland and Fakenham

That works
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954

There's still time for that!
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,604

So far there has been an absence of heavyweight commentators on the right embracing the nihilism about the Tory party.
    DavidL said:

This has been fairly widely reported today: https://www.ft.com/content/2a957523-c747-4191-be1d-bf174b2e359a

£800 of tax rises whoever wins the election. And yes, that is a year, not over 4 years. I do recall writing the same on here on Thursday. This may come from a think tank but anyone looking at the deficit could surely see this.

So, on Sunak's measure this is £3,200 not £2000 and his party would have to do it too. We are spending truly absurd amounts of money compared with our income. It cannot go on.

It can go on until the point when the entire country is owned by foreigners.

Then it comes to a hard stop.

One thing that isn't mentioned much is how young Sunak is.

Born in 1980 so almost in the 'millennial' generation.

I wonder if Sunak has ever read a Commando comic, built an Airfix model or watched a B&W war film on a Sunday afternoon.

I was just about to enumerate those three in precisely that order - although I was going to refer to a Frog Spitfire and Junkers.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813
    DavidL said:

We can afford the spending but, once again, this can only be done by soaking assets and that will piss off rich old people, who are the one constituency whom nobody dare cross. And so, on we all go, circling the plughole.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053
    Heathener said:

pigeon said:

🚨NEW Westminster Voting Intention for Sunday @Telegraph

📈20pt Labour lead - highest since Jan

🌹Lab 46 (+4)
    🌳Con 26 (-2)
    ➡️Reform 11 (+2)
    🔶LD 10 (+1)
    🌍Green 3 (-1)
    🎗️SNP 2 (-1)
    ⬜️Other 3 (-2)

2,095 UK adults, 5-7 June

(chg 31 May-2 June)

https://x.com/Savanta_UK/status/1799494098526822476

Any poll showing CON 25+ is good for them at the moment. Maybe MAYBE a chance to move to late 20s by the end
    At this point, we remember once again that Con has never polled sub-30% at a GE in their whole history. They scrape that, then it's 1997 redux rather than ELE, and they live to fight another day.

OTOH Sunak is a vastly inferior politician than Major, starting from a much worse position, of course.
    What is ELE please?
    "Extinction Level Event". An event so devastating it makes the population in question non-sustainable. Like the dinosaur-killing rock. Coined and popularised in the Film "Deep Impact" (1998)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0silSyYFPM
    AlsoLei said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

Yes, you'd think it would appeal to traditionalists: use existing counties and boroughs as constituencies with 3-5 MPs each. Very few changes needed, and it would avoid the worst of the "Cumbernauld, Kilsyth and Kirkintilloch South"-type names that we have today.
    Herefordshire?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,999
    pigeon said:

DavidL said:

We can afford the spending but, once again, this can only be done by soaking assets and that will piss off rich old people, who are the one constituency whom nobody dare cross. And so, on we all go, circling the plughole.
    Not just them, their children too who are counting on inheriting those assets and in any case they can't cover indefinite higher and higher spending anyway
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Not seeing this. If England beat Namibia and Oman and Scotland lose to Australia (big if I accept) then NRR is everything.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866

AlsoLei said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

Herefordshire?
    What's it called?

"Not Cumbernauld"
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796

Jonathan said:

Nunu5 said:

Jonathan said:

Probably given to the Mail by their ambitious new journalist Boris Johnson who just happens to have a full page article today
    HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

DavidL said:

Not just them, their children too who are counting on inheriting those assets and in any case they can't cover indefinite higher and higher spending anyway
    All the more reason to increase IHT and other capital taxes to pay for the transition period, some would say.

It's not as if they worked for those assets, especially with house price inflation so regionally uneven.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,270
    Heathener said:

So what’s happened to the massive surge from this most popular politician in the entire history of the human race?

As ever, the far right flatter to deceive

(same with the far left btw)

Is Nigel Farage simply NOT nearly anti-Woke enough, tooooooo much the Libtard?

I mean he once graced (if that's the word) the EUROPEAN parliament!

DavidL said:

It can go on until the point when the entire country is owned by foreigners.

Then it comes to a hard stop.
    In net terms we passed that point a while ago. Its what happens when you ignore a serious deficit for more than 20 years.
    MattW said:

Andy_JS said:

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

dixiedean said:

Rutland will feel abolished.
    It is only half a current FPTP seat anyway.
    biggles said:

TimS said:

Farooq said:

Nunu5 said:

Here's an interesting question, for those left leaning who support PR.

If you could have PR BUT the first election under it led to a guaranteed Tory/Reform Coalition, would you still have it or keep FPTP?

I don't know if "left leaning" applies to me (centrist globalist liberal according to the tribes thing) but yes. If Con + Ref got over 50% of the vote and could stomach working together, then that's a deal. Yeah, it'd be a gross government from my point of view, but it would be a reflection of the country's wishes.
    If Tory + Reform was over 50% then probably under FPTP we’d be labouring under a huge Tory majority. So yes, PR.
    I would suggest that PR wound realign a lot of parties and Labour, the Tories, and the Liberals would split. My guess is Reform would tend to get kept out by a Thatcherite/Cameroon/Cleggite coalition. The Cleggites would always be in power as they’d also help Labour keep out the Corbynites.
    The Thatcherites would want to form a government with Reform first and might merge with them. The Cameroons and Cleggites would probably eventually merge. The social democrat wing of the LDs would stay distinct but deal with Labour and the Greens first
    pigeon said:

DavidL said:

But is it?
    The rich old people are used to getting their own way.
    It looks like that generation are going to lose an Election for the first time in their adult lives.
    There'll be much wailing and gnashing of false teeth.
    But an incoming government won't be beholden to their votes.
    It's why I want as big a Labour majority as possible. Starmer can afford then to be brave.
    I have no great expectations he will.
    But then that's on him and we can hold him to account.
  • pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,813
    HYUFD said:

pigeon said:

DavidL said:

In that case they can go without the triple lock and can put up with waiting a decade to get their dodgy joints replaced. But they won't tolerate that either.

The grey vote is entitled, and cakeist, and very large. So we are stuck, circling the plughole.
  • DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 1,127
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

I listened to Any Questions and Any Answers today and Paul Johnson was making this very point. Any Answeres was all DDay initially but then several callers on the subject of finances. So it seems at least someone is taking notice, even if not mainstream.

Anyone who thinks there is scope for major tax cuts is delusional, or confident they won't be in government in a months time.
    Exactly why the Tories can promise anything they like.

edited June 8
    DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

ydoethur said:

DougSeal said:

DougSeal said:

🚨NEW Westminster Voting Intention for Sunday @Telegraph

📈20pt Labour lead - highest since Jan

🌹Lab 46 (+4)
    🌳Con 26 (-2)
    ➡️Reform 11 (+2)
    🔶LD 10 (+1)
    🌍Green 3 (-1)
    🎗️SNP 2 (-1)
    ⬜️Other 3 (-2)

2,095 UK adults, 5-7 June

(chg 31 May-2 June)

https://x.com/Savanta_UK/status/1799494098526822476

There’s not a lot left to be said.
    Well, there is because something can be saved from that.

But I'm now in a place where I wonder just how much more damage Sunak can do in the next 4 weeks.

He will certainly make more mistakes. I'd far rather take the risk of David Cameron playing nightwatchman now, to be honest.
    Cameron can take over the campaign. He can, through some form of internal shenanigans, become leader of the Conservative Party. I have huge doubts as to whether he can become PM though, huge doubts. I don’t see how it works. So you’re running a campaign with no idea who will be PM if you win. How does that work unless you just admit defeat and say you want to be a strong opposition? I don’t get it.
    He can't become leader of the party.

Conservative Party Constitution, part iii section 10:

There shall be a Leader of the Party (referred to in this Constitution as “the Leader”) drawn from those elected to the House of Commons
    And because Lord Cameron cannot become leader of the Conservative Party, he cannot be Prime Minister.

Oliver Dowden is deputy PM so if Rishi were to fall under a bus, it would probably be he who takes over.
    But, right now, no-one is elected to the Commons.
    Yes, but the government is still the government, and the Prime Minister remains Prime Minister until he resigns, a few minutes before his successor is appointed.
    If Sunak resigned as PM the King would take his advice on his successor which, given there's a Tory government already in place as the King's ministers, would be a Tory until such time as the lay of the land of the new HoC was clear post election.

Whereupon another resignation and appointment might take place.
    Constitutionally it is not a “Tory” Government. That’s a convenient shorthand based on the fact that prime ministers are appointed based on their ability to command confidence in the House of Commons. The label we attached, for convenience, to that majority in the recent Parliament was the “Conservative” or “Tory” party. At the moment the PM is in place as a result of the outcome of the last election. There is no mechanism or precedent for a party that does not (by definition) command such confidence.

The Monarch’s role in appointing a prime minister is one of the remaining prerogative powers. The majority of those powers are exercised on his behalf by ministers, but the power to appoint prime ministers remains with the King. In the absence of any majority in the Commons, or any members of the Commons, appointing a member of one party over any other would be a nakedly political decision taken, as you accept, during an election campaign for the benefit of one party. The late Queen would never have done that and I sure as hell hope the current King wouldn’t either.

If Sunak resigned as PM all bets are off until the election. Charles may fancy doing it himself for a few weeks.
    No, the Monarch would take the least contentious decision which would be to appoint a member of the existing administration and not create a change where no mandate existed.

If a new HoC was elected that was different he would no longer have its confidence, so would resign, just as Sunak would have done in a month's time anyway.
    No way. The King appointing a PM nominated to help the Tories win votes DURING an election campaign? Least contentious? That’s as contentious as it comes, it could kill the both Tory Party and the Monarchy as institutions.
    Rubbish, the King appoints the PM who commands the support of the majority of MPs which at the moment is still the Tories. Most likely he would be appointing PM Starmer in a few weeks anyway.

In the unlikely scenario Sunak did resign it would only be as Tory leader anyway, Parliament is not sitting and he would stay caretaker PM until election day so no need for the King to be involved
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759
    Rishi Sunak combines supreme bad judgement, with sublime incompetence to lead. The greatest political idiot of our - or perhaps any other - day.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    edited June 8

Scott_xP said:

@Phillip_Blond

Interesting,

We could speculate all night I suppose, but even from a quick preliminary scout about it does look as if some members of Sunak's brand of innermost circle that you're describing might also be known to Philip Blond.

On your question of why, if he is considering this, I think it would to be partly to protect his reputation and not receive all the blame.
    I don't believe this notion of an extinction level event. Although it could well be on the cards if Sunak exits mid campaign.

Is there some extraordinary mechanism whereby Rishi could compel Chas to pull the 4th July election and reconvene Parliament under a new PM until 23rd January?

Scott_xP said:

@Phillip_Blond

Interesting,

I don't believe this notion of an extinction level event. It could well be on the cards if Sunak exits mid campaign.

Is there some extraordinary mechanism whereby Rishi could compel Chas to pull the 4th July election and reconvene Parliament under a new PM until 23rd January?
    No
    edited June 8

Scott_xP said:

@Phillip_Blond

Interesting,

I don't believe this notion of an extinction level event. It could well be on the cards if Sunak exits mid campaign.

But none of the MPs are MPs any more. Nio public mandate. That would mean KCIII appointed every single member of the HoC. Can't see that precedent working, can you?
This discussion has been closed.