Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tonight Ed Miliband is a step closer to Downing Street

Comments

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

AndyJS said:

It's odd how UKIP haven't made any impact or effort in counties like Worcestershire and Warwickshire. I think it's more to do with poor organisation rather than a lack of potential support.

UKIP got >600 second place results. Perhaps they just fell short?

https://twitter.com/GawainTowler/status/330333469945253889
    i wonder how big a difference an extra 2-3% would make?
    Hopefully we'll get the answer to that next May! :-)
    I dunno. Over the last few years things have moved about ten times slower than i thought they would but now they seem to be going twice as fast as i thought so i wonder if things might go a bit quicker than that if the polling start heading toward crossover.
    It's certainly looking good.

Maybe the Eurozone will implode and change the cards?

There's that as well but i'm wondering even sooner than that i.e. if there might be a biggish jump in the yougov polling in the next few days.
    Crossover with the Conservatives, or crossover with the LDs?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#Graphical_summary
  • Options
    It's not just David Davies with the helpful advice:

Tory councillor: dishonest Cameron has ditched our values. No wonder people are voting Ukip I lost my seat in the Ukip surge because David Cameron has ditched our core values and no-one believes he will give us a referendum on Europe.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/local-elections/10035060/Tory-councillor-dishonest-Cameron-has-ditched-our-values.-No-wonder-people-are-voting-Ukip.html
  • Options
    Roger said:

I'm sure it's been mentioned but Nick Robinson took his lead from Mike and told the 'extraordinary' story of how five times as many UKIP voters didn't get their children vaccinated as voters of the other parties. He was using it as an illustration that UKIPers don't trust the establishment. (In fact it just confirmed what most of us already know-it's a party that attracts flat earthers and fruitcakes).

Have you ever considered becoming a benevolent dictator? That way you could be sure of elections producing the right result.

• Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

AndyJS said:

It's odd how UKIP haven't made any impact or effort in counties like Worcestershire and Warwickshire. I think it's more to do with poor organisation rather than a lack of potential support.

I dunno. Over the last few years things have moved about ten times slower than i thought they would but now they seem to be going twice as fast as i thought so i wonder if things might go a bit quicker than that if the polling start heading toward crossover.

There's that as well but i'm wondering even sooner than that i.e. if there might be a biggish jump in the yougov polling in the next few days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election#Graphical_summary
    Conservatives. It's not really my area of knowledge but if it's 25 plays 23 in the locals then i'd have thought there's a chance of a tipping point coming up.
  • Options
    2015 entirely about the Tories ability to reclaim UKIP votes.
  • Options
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

AndyJS said:

Conservatives. It's not really my area of knowledge but if it's 25 plays 23 in the locals then i'd have thought there's a chance of a tipping point coming up.
    Now that would be fun!

• Options
    Here's what happened in Surrey:

Seats Votes
    Conservative 58 40%
    Liberal Democr 9 16%
    UKIP 3 22%
    Residents Assoc 8 7%
    Labour 1 11%
    The Green Party 1 2%

So the Tory vote was far more efficient than the other parties' votes. True, there were several UKIP near misses - but their vote was very inefficient.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Corby constituency:

Lab 10867 40.2%
    Con 8589 31.7%
    UKIP 3575 13.2%
    LD 1996 7.4%
    Ind 933 3.4%
    BNP 872 3.2%
    Grn 234 0.9%
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

AndyJS said:

Now that would be fun!

yeah, all politics aside the headless chicken race on telly would be a scream
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited May 2013
    tim said:

Tony Gallagher ‏@gallaghereditor
    Cameron in an Eton mess: David Davis pleads for no more old boy advisors in v sharp commentary for @telegraph splash tmrw

There's going to be a concerted effort in the party and the press to blame the Chumocracy.

But what is there to blame Cameron for, tim?

His party exceeded all expectations today. And the general view is that the Conservative Party is more rather than less likely to lead a government after 2015 as a result of this year's local election results.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    BTW for those under the strange misapprehension that Cammie had apologised for calling UKIP and Farage "fruitcakes, loonies and closet racists", he didn't.

When asked directly if he stood by it he refused to answer and simply said it was a bad idea.

That's your fop chumocracy arrogance right there. A simple sorry never occurred to Cammie.
  • Options

Here's what happened in Surrey:

Seats Votes
    Conservative 58 40%
    Liberal Democr 9 16%
    UKIP 3 22%
    Residents Assoc 8 7%
    Labour 1 11%
    The Green Party 1 2%

So the Tory vote was far more efficient than the other parties' votes. True, there were several UKIP near misses - but their vote was very inefficient.

Anne JPG made the point the other day that an inefficient/ widespread vote has the potential to suddenly turn up big wins, like the crossover proposed below by Mr Jones.

• Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

AndybJS said:

That's exactly the joker in the pack that makes this UKIP surge so potentially threatening to the political establishment. All bets are off on the next economic eurogasm - Farage can have a field day with it all if he plays his cards right.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    The establishment feels the power of the people

Ukip's Nigel Farage is an anti-politician who embodies many of the characteristics that people feel are absent from his mainstream rivals

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/telegraph-view/10035707/The-establishment-feels-the-power-of-the-people.html
  • Options

I think it may just as important to Lib Dems.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

AndybJS said:

That's exactly the joker in the pack that makes this UKIP surge so potentially threatening to the political establishment. All bets are off on the next economic eurogasm - Farage can have a field day with it all if he plays his cards right.
    I think a big influx of EU immigrants helps UKIP, but the Eurozone imploding could take away their strongest policy, by forcing a referendum, or dissolving the EU.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    hunchman said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

AndybJS said:

Whilst I agree with you that there is a high probability of an "economic eurogasm", I am not convinced that it would play into Farage's hands.

When a major political crisis or opportunity arises, it tends to benefit the established parties. This applies even when minor parties are most closely identified with the causes of the event.

A typical example would be Northern Ireland where the conditions for the Good Friday Agreement were advanced by minor parties but the benefits and final negotiations were taken over by the main players.

If a massive crisis arises in Europe shaking the foundations of the EU it will be Cameron who negotiates any resolution with his counterparts. Farage is Rosencrantz not Hamlet.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

AndyJS said:

Actually it's more to do with boots on the ground and that for UKIP this election was an all out effort. Putting up 1720 candidates was a major miracle for a party the size of UKIP.
    In a way AndyJS' remark on organisation was pertinent. My daughter in law, living in Wiltshire joined UKIP as a member about 3 weeks ago. She told me that while she received a mass of lit and posters, the party branch is only really getting started and is depending on a very few but enthusiastic local people. I suspect that is now the picture in a lot of west country areas and accounts for the very moderate performance by candidates as compared with the east of the country.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,463

I think it may just as important to Lib Dems.
    In South Shields, UKIP came from nowhere to get 24%.
    The LDs went down by 13%, the Tories by 10%.
  • Options
    itdoesntaddupitdoesntaddup Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    On voting systems:

Clearly Labour will hang on to FPTP until the grim death. UKIP might once have wondered how they were ever going to get traction without a change in the system, but I suspect no longer: AV or some form of PR will look like only offering a short term advantage that would be eclipsed by the benefit of FPTP if they become a major party: they would hardly want a Lib/Lab/Con opposition able to outvote them under PR. The Lib Dems will look for anything that gives them Banzhaf power - i.e. balancing votes in hung parliaments. I doubt Conservatives have a clue what might work for them.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    AveryLP said:

hunchman said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

AndybJS said:

Whilst I agree with you that there is a high probability of an "economic eurogasm", I am not convinced that it would play into Farage's hands.

When a major political crisis or opportunity arises, it tends to benefit the established parties. This applies even when minor parties are most closely identified with the causes of the event.

A typical example would be Northern Ireland where the conditions for the Good Friday Agreement were advanced by minor parties but the benefits and final negotiations were taken over by the main players.

If a massive crisis arises in Europe shaking the foundations of the EU it will be Cameron who negotiates any resolution with his counterparts. Farage will Rosencrantz not Hamlet.

So you're saying Cameron needs to create a crisis to save his skin ? Sending Osborne to Europe would certainly do it.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

AndyJS said:

Actually it's more to do with boots on the ground and that for UKIP this election was an all out effort. Putting up 1720 candidates was a major miracle for a party the size of UKIP.
    In a way AndyJS' remark on organisation was pertinent. My daughter in law, living in Wiltshire joined UKIP as a member about 3 weeks ago. She told me that while she received a mass of lit and posters, the party branch is only really getting started and is depending on a very few but enthusiastic local people. I suspect that is now the picture in a lot of west country areas and accounts for the very moderate performance by candidates as compared with the east of the country.
    For the 2014 locals, they're going to need ~8000 candidates. Is that do-able?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_local_elections,_2010
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    AveryLP said:

Avery, I am not always sure when the analysis stops and the satire begins but as this is the second time you've made this comment it might be worth pointing out that the GFA was the culmination of a process led by the two mainstream political parties of the time. They only became minor parties afterwards.
  • Options

MikeK said:

AndyJS said:

For the 2014 locals, they're going to need ~8000 candidates. Is that do-able?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_local_elections,_2010
    From where they are today they can expect more financial backers, more members and more defectors from other parties.
  • Options
    Wonder when the pass over will be of ukip membership going above the conservatives,today must have done wonders for ukip membership with the results and publicity.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

hunchman said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

AndybJS said:

If a massive crisis arises in Europe shaking the foundations of the EU it will be Cameron who negotiates any resolution with his counterparts. Farage will Rosencrantz not Hamlet.

So you're saying Cameron needs to create a crisis to save his skin ? Sending Osborne to Europe would certainly do it.
    Cameron could do with the right kind of crisis - after all Maggie had her Falklands - but he doesn't need it. It is just a long boring slog to get the country to the position where there are real political options. A bit like deferring a decision on where to holiday until the credit card debts are paid off.

As for sending Osborne to the Europe this is an option but we need to wait until 2017, before his job is done here.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

hunchman said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

AndybJS said:

For a short while, the public might cling to the established parties like what happened in 2008, but sooner or later the feelings of disgust will come to the fore I think. The establishment will make out that they've got things under control, and then events will show most clearly that they haven't. Or at least I think that's how things could play out.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

hunchman said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

AndybJS said:

Cameron could do with the right kind of crisis - after all Maggie had her Falklands - but he doesn't need it. It is just a long boring slog to get the country to the position where there are real political options. A bit like deferring a decision on where to holiday until the credit card debts are paid off.

As for sending Osborne to the Europe this is an option but we need to wait until 2017, before his job is done here.

LOL Mr P. I somehow think Mr Cameron has few real political options within his own party let alone the country.

As for GO heading to Europe I think that will be long before 2017 and to kill some spare time rather than working.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
  • Options
    Steve Peters is amazing - you saw all his genius come to the fore there when Ronnie won that last frame. That would never have happened before Ronnie getting help from SP. Can't see Ronnie losing this now.
  • Options
    RicardohosRicardohos Posts: 258
    The Daily Telegraph is not going to be happy reading for Cameron. The headline is 'Cameron's Eton Mess'
  • Options
    Here in Britain, this animus is directed towards mainstream political parties, the police and judiciary, the BBC and the media in general, local and national government. Politicians such as Kenneth Clarke who caricatured Ukip’s members as “clowns” simply make their point for them by displaying a lofty disdain for the ordinary voter, an infuriatingly elitist “we know best” attitude.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/telegraph-view/10035707/The-establishment-feels-the-power-of-the-people.html

The article then pretty does what it accuses Clarke of doing by trying to pigeon hole UKIP supporters down to three convenient issues and dismissing the wider concerns about the rotten state of the British establishment. Even the bloody Telegraph doesn't get it (it is a Freakshow insider after all).
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,992
    UKIP need a couple of thousand in2014.
  • Options

The Daily Telegraph is not going to be happy reading for Cameron. The headline is 'Cameron's Eton Mess'

You mean this one:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/local-elections/10037011/Local-elections-David-Camerons-Eton-mess.html

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Neil said:

AveryLP said:

Avery, I am not always sure when the analysis stops and the satire begins but as this is the second time you've made this comment it might be worth pointing out that the GFA was the culmination of a process led by the two mainstream political parties of the time. They only became minor parties afterwards.
    I was aware that my analogy would not bear the full weight of (near) native analysis, Neil.

But there is enough element of truth in it to make a general point. It was really only when Paisley sat down with Adams that the real deal was on, even though I accept what you say about the shift in party fortunes prior to this event.

And no, I am not an expert on this difficult subject so will, on principle, defer to any better reasoned or more factually based application.

And my post was intended to be provocatively flippant rather than deliberately satirical!
  • Options
    Three things Cameron can do that will bring voters back to him (It would mean the end of the coalition ;-) )

1 - Abu Qatada on a plain to Jordan 2 - put emergency EU powers on no open borders with Romania/Bulgaria 3 - bring forward the EU referendum to a earlier date.

Go nuclear cammers ;-)
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Neil said:

AveryLP said:

I was aware that my analogy would not bear the full weight of (near) native analysis, Neil.

But there is enough element of truth in it to make a general point. It was really only when Paisley sat down with Adams that the real deal was on, even though I accept what you say about the shift in party fortunes prior to this event.

And no, I am not an expert on this difficult subject so will, on principle, defer to any better reasoned or more factually based application.

And my post was intended to be provocatively flippant rather than deliberately satirical!
    Please Avery just leave it.
  • Options
    Roger said:

I'm sure it's been mentioned but Nick Robinson took his lead from Mike and told the 'extraordinary' story of how five times as many UKIP voters didn't get their children vaccinated as voters of the other parties. He was using it as an illustration that UKIPers don't trust the establishment. (In fact it just confirmed what most of us already know-it's a party that attracts flat earthers and fruitcakes).

Does that include those with no children?

Your report is an inaccurate travesty. Nick Robinson, who seemed to be particularly fired up anti-UKIP, did not say this. Please correct it.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

UKIP need a couple of thousand in2014.

Wins?

• Options

Roger said:

Does that include those with no children?

Your report is an inaccurate travesty. Nick Robinson, who seemed to be particularly fired up anti-UKIP, did not say this. Please correct it.
    Didn't know there were many Kippers in Swansea??
  • Options

Three things Cameron can do that will bring voters back to him (It would mean the end of the coalition ;-) )

1 - Abu Qatada on a plain to Jordan 2 - put emergency EU powers on no open borders with Romania/Bulgaria 3 - bring forward the EU referendum to a earlier date.

Go nuclear cammers ;-)

He needs to grow a pair to implement all that :)
  • Options
    MirrorJames Times reporting Tory fears that @NadineDorriesMP will defect to #UKIP. Hopes surely?
  • Options

Even the bloody Telegraph doesn't get it (it is a Freakshow insider after all).

The Telegraph was one of the tory supporting papers that led the assault on the kippers and Farage. So you can't exactly be surprised there will be the slightest bit of introspection from them about the wisdom of that move.

What is interesting is that, although some on her did point out that it would likely be counterproductive, just how big a failure it was. The days of blanket monsterings from the papers by themselves destroying a leader or party are long gone. The press influence continues in it's decline and scare stories and attacks simply do not have the currency they once did.

Somewhat unfortunate for Cammie and Crosby since they were relying on the tory papers monstering little Ed and doing most of their job for them. I'm afraid not. Little Ed and Balls will have to dig their own hole, Cammie and Osbrowne will still have to avoid digging themselves any deeper and only then will any press hysteria/attacks get much credence.

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142
    hunchman said:

"The real problem for the tories is very simple indeed. Cameron doesn't want to win enough.
    He just doesn't have the killer instinct. It shouldn't be that much of a surprise since he failed to win a majority in 2010 so had to go running to Clegg to save him."

Indeed.

Cameron wants to be liked by his opponents and shown deference by his own supporters.

So desperate pandering to guardianistas, surrounding himself with people like himself and despisal of uppity proles.

A fascinating combination of insecurity and arrogance.

Its still amazing after the 2010GE election that Cameron didn't get the message that former mining seats with WWC disenchantment with Labour eg Wakefield, Penistone & Stocksbridge and the like offer the Conservatives far more opportunity long term compared to middle class urban seats that have been drifting away from them long term eg Leeds NE
    I do wonder if Cameron was so keen on a coalition in 2010 rather than a minority government followed by a push for a majority a year later because of the different types of constituency.

That is Cameron thought the people of Sheffield Hallam, Twickenham, Manchester Withington, Edinburgh West, Bristol West etc were the sort of people whose interests the Conservatives should be promoting in government.

As opposed to the people of Grimsby, Morley, Wakefield, Penistone, Halifax etc who would have become the key voters to a majority Conservative government.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Sunil, well at least one of them would be helpful ;-)
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    hunchman said:

AveryLP said:

hunchman said:

MrJones said:

MrJones said:

AndybJS said:

For a short while, the public might cling to the established parties like what happened in 2008, but sooner or later the feelings of disgust will come to the fore I think. The establishment will make out that they've got things under control, and then events will show most clearly that they haven't. Or at least I think that's how things could play out.
    hunchman

I find it difficult to envisage how 30% adult and 50% youth unemployment can be sustained in a contracting economy with banks stuffed fulled of overvalued assets. The problems Spain face will need Marshall plan type solutions based on broader based global agreements than just a US-Europe axis.

And I don't only see the downside as economic. There will be severe social tensions which may well escalate to semi-military conflict.

A solution to such problems will require at least Germany, the UK, the US, China and the OPEC countries to drive a solution. The only question is whether we are driven to it in reaction to a deepening crisis or whether it is possible to pre-empt it by wise prophylactic action.

Where are our global leaders? Their absence is both an opportunity and threat to the current poltical players.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Even the bloody Telegraph doesn't get it (it is a Freakshow insider after all).

The Telegraph was one of the tory supporting papers that led the assault on the kippers and Farage. So you can't exactly be surprised there will be the slightest bit of introspection from them about the wisdom of that move.

What is interesting is that, although some on her did point out that it would likely be counterproductive, just how big a failure it was. The days of blanket monsterings from the papers by themselves destroying a leader or party are long gone. The press influence continues in it's decline and scare stories and attacks simply do not have the currency they once did.

Somewhat unfortunate for Cammie and Crosby since they were relying on the tory papers monstering little Ed and doing most of their job for them. I'm afraid not. Little Ed and Balls will have to dig their own hole, Cammie and Osbrowne will still have to avoid digging themselves any deeper and only then will any press hysteria/attacks get much credence.

Well that proves your point because I really hadn't appreciated the Telegraph's leading role but there again after the disgraceful and salacious way they handled the expenses scandal its of no surprise. These days they are just as base as the Red Tops.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142
    To develop that my further.

It has been suggested before that Cameron would prefer to work with and rely upon Nick Clegg rather than say Nadine Dorries of Philip Davies.

I think he would also prefer to rely upon Nick Clegg's voters rather than those of Dorries and Davies let alone those he would need to win to achieve an overall majority.
  • Options
    samsam Posts: 727

Go nuclear cammers ;-)

What is this???! We live in the worst areas in England!

http://www.ehow.co.uk/slideshow_12237376_worst-uk-cities-towns-live.html?utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=outbrain

• Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413

If nothing else, one thing yesterday has shown is that it is the Cameroons who are in denial of reality.

Oh, I wouldn't say that. This Cameroon predicted a 25% UKIP vote share in South Shields. OK, it turned out to be 24.21%, but I think it's a bit harsh to call an overestimate by 0.79% a 'denial of reality'.
  • Options

I think he would also prefer to rely upon Nick Clegg's voters rather than those of Dorries and Davies let alone those he would need to win to achieve an overall majority.

! Absolutely. The insults from Mr Cameron and Clarke seemed heartfelt.

• Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    As I said earlier over the next 2 years the most important thing for UKIP is how their new councilors perform. They will now be judged as equals to the three "main" parties by the press, and 140 new councilors with little or no party machine to help, will find being a councilor challenging. I am sure that some colorful inexperienced characters have been elected today, a lot I expect didn't expect to win (especially the chap who didn't even go to the count). In the past Farage has only had a few MEPS and a tiny number of councilors to lead and control. That has all changed now and he has become very high profile. Some of his MEPs really let him down in the past and that was out of a very small number. What he doesn't need are a few of his new councilors mucking up. If they perform well then he can rightfully say that they are a serious party delivering for their constituents. If the press (who will be watching much more closely now) get their teeth into a number of UKIP councilors not performing as a councilor should then it will put Farage in a very difficult position. I don't think going to a pub and smiling will then work. I think Nick P mentioned earlier a previous UKIP councilor who had never even voted at a council meeting. I am sure that local issues are not the first thing on the mind of a typical UKIP councilor. You cannot withdraw from the EU or reduce immigration at a local level. It will be interesting.
  • Options

Well that proves your point because I really hadn't appreciated the Telegraph's leading role but there again after the disgraceful and salacious way they handled the expenses scandal its of no surprise. These days they are just as base as the Red Tops.

It happily chipped in. Not entirely sure the expenses scandal is a good example of bad newspaper practice. It was a massive scoop and once it got running there was no shortage of papers using it (Red Top and broadsheet) since it absolutely played in to the existing perception and dissatisfaction about MPs and the main parties. Your point about Red Tops and the Telegraph is however 100% correct. The story WAS offered to the Red Tops yet they failed to see just how huge a story it potentially was. Big mistake.
  • Options
    Looks like the Tories would have held the Burton constituency:

(These county council division aggregates aren't a perfect comparison with the Burton constituency because Uttoxeter Rural includes Abbots Bromley, and Needwood Forest includes Branston).

Burton constituency, (including Uttoxeter Rural division but not Needwood Forest):

Con: 8,973 (39.5%)
    Lab: 7,999 (35.2%)
    UKIP: 4,356 (19.2%) {contested 5/7 divisions}
    LD: 376 (1.7%) {contested 3/7 divisions}
    Others: 1,020 (4.5%)

Changes since 2010:

Con: -5.0%
    Lab: +3.3%
    UKIP: +16.3%
    LD: -14.1%
    Others: -0.3%

Swing, Con to Lab: 4.2%.
  • Options
    The David Davis article:

Tories must start listening to ordinary voters, not their old school chums
    When Ukip gave the Conservative leadership a fright at the Eastleigh by-election, the knee-jerk response from the hierarchy was: “There will be no lurch to the Right!”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/local-elections/10037021/Tories-must-start-listening-to-ordinary-voters-not-their-old-school-chums.html

Davis writes:

But most of all we have to start convincing the people that we care about the things that matter to them.

In that respect, people matter as much as policies.

But then in talking about what issues matter he overlooks the two most symbolic issues of what he was talking about. Two freakin great elephants in the room that if they remain will ensure most UKIP voters will not forgive them. They are of course that insane energy policy with its ridiculous carbon targets and even moreso Camerons freakin moronic Aid targets which even Lord Ashcroft thinks is risible.

Until Cameron puts the British people before liberal elitist target culture then he is finished. He might as well go back to calling those voters closet rascists if he stands by such lunacy.
  • Options
    currystar said:

As I said earlier over the next 2 years the most important thing for UKIP is how their new councilors perform. They will now be judged as equals to the three "main" parties by the press, and 140 new councilors with little or no party machine to help, will find being a councilor challenging. I am sure that some colorful inexperienced characters have been elected today, a lot I expect didn't expect to win (especially the chap who didn't even go to the count). In the past Farage has only had a few MEPS and a tiny number of councilors to lead and control. That has all changed now and he has become very high profile. Some of his MEPs really let him down in the past and that was out of a very small number. What he doesn't need are a few of his new councilors mucking up. If they perform well then he can rightfully say that they are a serious party delivering for their constituents. If the press (who will be watching much more closely now) get their teeth into a number of UKIP councilors not performing as a councilor should then it will put Farage in a very difficult position. I don't think going to a pub and smiling will then work. I think Nick P mentioned earlier a previous UKIP councilor who had never even voted at a council meeting. I am sure that local issues are not the first thing on the mind of a typical UKIP councilor. You cannot withdraw from the EU or reduce immigration at a local level. It will be interesting.

"Like" and "Agree".

• Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,363
    sam said:

Go nuclear cammers ;-)

http://www.ehow.co.uk/slideshow_12237376_worst-uk-cities-towns-live.html?utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=outbrain

Why don't you come and join us in leafy Wanstead, Sam? It's one of the UK's 10 nicest places to live:

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/10312001.Wanstead__one_of_best_places_to_live_/

Honest!

• Options
    @sam

Well they didn't ask me how "happy" I was!!!
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    How many former MPs have been newly elected yesterday?

Charlotte Atkins (Staffs Moorlands 97-10) and Brian Jenkins (Tamworth 96-10) in Staffs.
    David Borrow (South Ribble 97-10) in Lancashire (for a Preston division)
    Bill Olner (Nuneaton 92-10) in Warwickshire
    Richard Younger Ross (Teignbridge 2001-10) in Devon
    Ivan Henderson (Harwich 97-05) is elected in Essex
    Candy Atherton (Falmouth and Camborne 97-05) in Cornwall
    Elizabeth Shields of Reydale 1986 by-election comes back on North Yorkshire council.

who else?

• Options
    samonipadsamonipad Posts: 182
    edited May 2013

sam said:

Go nuclear cammers ;-)

Why don't you come and join us in leafy Wanstead, Sam? It's one of the UK's 10 nicest places to live:

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/10312001.Wanstead__one_of_best_places_to_live_/

Honest!

Is Wanstead so different from Ilford or Rommo??!

I actually live in Upminster don't you know?

Or Hupminister as tube drivers like to call it

Can't sign in on my iPad so used different account

• Options
    AveryLP said:

currystar said:

Some of his MEPs really let him down in the past and that was out of a very small number.

Hmmmmm all parties have a 'very small number' of MEP's. DIdn't the Tories have an MEP named Den Dover for example?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Den_Dover
  • Options
    Four Essex teachers interviewed on Newsnight. None voted! First one comments "there's not enough for like .... ".

Edukashun, edukashun, edukashun, eh ...
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Gedling constituency:
    Lab 42.6%% Con 26.86% UKIP 22.2% LD 6.4%

Burnley:
    Lab 45.5% LD 27.5% Con 11.4% UKIP 10.2% (only 3 divisions out of 3)

Chorley (1 ward is in a division with South Ribble constituncy wards. I used the 2011 locals for it. So probably understimating the UKIP by 1%)

Lab 45.94% Con 34.48% UKIP 17.97%

Pendle
    Lab 35.75% Con 32.34% LD 23.27%
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    MaxPB said:

The fact that the Cameroons are absolutely and utterly blind to the EU immigration issue and keep talking about net non-EU migration shows that they are completely missing the point and why UKIP are doing so well.

You remain in denial and watch the Cons lose the next election to Labour while UKIP splits the right wing vote.

Bangs head against brick wall Neither the Cameroons nor I are blind or in denial about anything. It is those who think there's some magic wand which can be waved to solve the problem who are in denial.

We (i.e the UK) are stuffed by past idiotic decisions, mostly but not exclusively taken by Blair and Brown. We have to start from the reality of where we are, not some alternate reality where Maastrict and Lisbon were never ratified.

OK, so let's assume a series of impossible obstacles can magically be removed, We need to assume (a) that Cameron magically gets a retrospective 2010 majority, and (b) that he calls an In/Out referendum which somehow manages to produce an Out result, and (c) that somehow, having achieved two impossible things, we then somehow miraculously manage to negotiate staying in the EEA without conforming to its rules. Or leave the EEA - but anyone who thinks an In/Out referendum can be won without a commitment to stay in in the EEA is far into La-La land.

As the SNP are finding, when push comes to shove, voters stay with nurse. They want comfort blankets.
  • Options
    currystar said:

The question is, have they planned for it? They need to ensure that new councillors are well supported with advice, starting with don't be controversial - be competent or be quiet. The next advice would be to report back on the issues they find are potential pegs to hang a policy on, and get the party working on agreed lines. They can't afford to take a Lib Dem attitude of pretending to be everything to everyone.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    @smithersjones2013

Hmmmmm all parties have a 'very small number' of MEP's. DIdn't the Tories have an MEP named Den Dover for example?

currystar penned the original post, sj.

In agreeing with him, I don't mean to infer that only UKIP will have rogue representatives just that their relative inexperience and location on the political spectrum combined with greater external scrutiny will lead to higher risks.
  • Options
    Is the BBC going to be extremely partisan against UKIP?

Yes.
  • Options
    JGForsyth Just read David Davis’s Telegraph piece. It is quite remarkable how much class tension there is in today’s Conservative parliamentary party.
  • Options
    samonipad said:

sam said:

Go nuclear cammers ;-)

Honest!

Is Wanstead so different from Ilford or Rommo??!

I actually live in Upminster don't you know?

Or Hupminister as tube drivers like to call it

Can't sign in on my iPad so used different account

At least Ilford North is still Tory, unlike Ilford South!

Wanstead is OK, could so easily have been ruined by the new A12, but at least that was built in a tunnel under the Green.
  • Options
    Chuckle-Umunna-Vision on Newsnight :)
  • Options
    So CCHQ's best person to put forward the Conservatives case on Newsnight is that old plodder Bob Neill on Newsnight. A man so laid back he almost lost his by election in a safe seat....
  • Options
    iainmartin1 .@DanHannanMEP Should @Nigel_Farage allow Clegg into the general election leaders' debates?

lol
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,020

I wouldn't hold your breath LD. Roger's whole modus operandi is to make false and unsupportable statements and then ignore those who point out he has misrepresented the facts in the hope that people will remember the original lie but not the rebuttals.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Former Labour MP Brian Jenkins won by 20 votes in Watling North (Staffordshire).

His (former) wife Joan Jenkins won the Wilnecote by-election by 17 votes.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

It happily chipped in. Not entirely sure the expenses scandal is a good example of bad newspaper practice. It was a massive scoop and once it got running there was no shortage of papers using it (Red Top and broadsheet) since it absolutely played in to the existing perception and dissatisfaction about MPs and the main parties. Your point about Red Tops and the Telegraph is however 100% correct. The story WAS offered to the Red Tops yet they failed to see just how huge a story it potentially was. Big mistake.
    Well its depends on your view but whilst the Telegraph was luxuriating in Duckhouses, Moats, Glitter loos and Trouser presses there were far more serious considerations (like the systematic abuse of the expenses system by the Labour Government) which the Telegraph decided was secondary and unimportant. As a result of which rather than seeing the overall cost of the expenses budget shrink instead we now have an even more costly (particularly with the creation of a specifically created 'Independent' Quango), less accountable and in some ways more opaque expenses system.
  • Options
    Farage tonight suggested to Schapps Umunna and Brake tht they agreed to leader debates before next years euro elections... Canny, how can they deny ukip that?
  • Options
    Poor Chuka thinks that Labour won Northamptonshire.
  • Options
    Tonight we have also had the usual Lib Dem spin from the party of the black knight, "its only a scratch" they say as they lose another 26.1% of the seats they were defending. They also indicate that the Conservatives have suffered more by losing 23.1%. Maths is not their strong point. The other claim is that the Lib Dems are doing much better in their strong holds. Such as Eastleigh where they lost 1/3 of their county councillors.... A party in denial.
  • Options
    Chuck not-to-be-compared-to-Obama** Ummuna, thinks Northamptonshire is a Labour gain ....

** Not by lazy journalists responding to a Wikipedia entry from a computer at Chuck's workplace.
  • Options
    samonipad said:

how can they deny ukip that?

By not having any debate before the Euros at all.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    KirstyBuchanan4 Chuka Umunna claims on Newsnight that Labour has "absolutely" got back support in the south - then talks about Sherwood, in Nottinghamshire.

Don't you just love chuka lol
  • Options
    itdoesntaddupitdoesntaddup Posts: 58
    edited May 2013

Chuckle-Umunna-Vision on Newsnight :)

Has he got a big....

watch?

http://order-order.com/2013/05/01/chuka-and-his-comedy-over-sized-watches/
  • Options

I wouldn't hold your breath LD. Roger's whole modus operandi is to make false and unsupportable statements and then ignore those who point out he has misrepresented the facts in the hope that people will remember the original lie but not the rebuttals.
    He has done this twice recently to me (Sam) the guy is unreal. He doesn't read any link and then passes a ridiculously judgemental left wing comment on what he thought it was
  • Options
    British politics over the next two years is going to be about just one thing: whether Farage gets a place in the 2015 leaders' debate.

Cameron, Miliband and Clegg are absolutely determined that it won't happen because they rightly suspect that Farage might come across better than they will.
  • Options
    Banging on about Europe. The master strategy continues unabated.
    Chris Deerin ‏@chrisdeerin

To kill off Ukip, David Cameron should hold an EU referendum in this parliament - Charles Moore in tmrw's @Telegraph http://soa.li/yjjd88L
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,171
    Tim - Some grammars eg in Wales took the top 45%, about the same as now do A Level and go to university
  • Options

currystar said:

The question is, have they planned for it? They need to ensure that new councillors are well supported with advice, starting with don't be controversial - be competent or be quiet. The next advice would be to report back on the issues they find are potential pegs to hang a policy on, and get the party working on agreed lines. They can't afford to take a Lib Dem attitude of pretending to be everything to everyone.
    They did well in Ramsey. Re-elected with an increased majority.

https://twitter.com/JGForsyth/status/330345010522374146
  • Options

currystar said:

Is that where Neighbours become good friends?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148
    Pretty biased structure to the Newsnight piece. Even the seating arrangement seemed designed to diminish Diane James.
  • Options

currystar said:

Is that where Neighbours become good friends?
    :-)
    +3 internet points.

• Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Banging on about Europe. The master strategy continues unabated.

Chris Deerin ‏@chrisdeerin

To kill off Ukip, David Cameron should hold an EU referendum in this parliament - Charles Moore in tmrw's @Telegraph http://soa.li/yjjd88L
    The recommendation is action, not talk.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    tim said:

@JGForsyth: Just read David Davis’s Telegraph piece. It is quite remarkable how much class tension there is in today’s Conservative parliamentary party..

Yes, hats off to the Labour media manipulators. They've done brilliantly well bringing class divisiveness - which had more or less died out in the UK - back as a key force. Admittedly the initial attempts at Crewe and Nantwich were so crude that they were just laughed off, but Labour didn't give up, they kept plugging away. It's not nice, and it's certainly disastrous for the country, but I guess that's politics.

What's less understandable is why Conservatives join in. Utter madness.
  • Options
    West Lancashire constituency

Lab 48.9 Con 32.8 UKIP 13.4 (missing 2 divisions out of 7) Green 4.1 (5 divisions)

A ward should be excluded but it's in a division with 3 other wards which are in this constituency. It's a small ward anyway, probably take 0.something away from Con judging by the 2011-12 result (a Con lead of 100-200 votes)
  • Options

Well its depends on your view but whilst the Telegraph was luxuriating in Duckhouses, Moats, Glitter loos and Trouser presses there were far more serious considerations (like the systematic abuse of the expenses system by the Labour Government) which the Telegraph decided was secondary and unimportant.

Not really the case. Had the Telegraph the records available to them they would indeed have had something that would make the expenses scandal look like a storm in a teacup. The most ironic thing about the expenses scandal was just how lucky an escape it was for MPs since those expenses revealed were the ones after there had been a tightening of the system. Before that it really was a free for all and a defacto bank for MPs to abuse in the most outrageous ways imaginable. Ways that would have put most of what was revealed in the shade. So yes, there was an untold story but the Telegraph only had a certain timeline of data to work with.

As a result of which rather than seeing the overall cost of the expenses budget shrink instead we now have an even more costly (particularly with the creation of a specifically created 'Independent' Quango), less accountable and in some ways more opaque expenses system.

Agree. IPSA is a joke and it is only a matter of time before we get another scandal. They have learned nothing except to be slightly more careful in their creative accounting and less forthcoming to the public.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    @RichardNabavi GuidoFawkes @JGForsyth Was the same under Thatcher. Posh wets full of noblesse obilge, middle class Thatcherites who could connect with electorate.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

currystar said:

Some of his MEPs really let him down in the past and that was out of a very small number.

currystar penned the original post, sj.

In agreeing with him, I don't mean to infer that only UKIP will have rogue representatives just that their relative inexperience and location on the political spectrum combined with greater external scrutiny will lead to higher risks.
    Perhaps but I'm not sure 'experience' is necessarily of any use if you lack common sense to go with it. I mean your Government's Deputy Prime Minister was a drunken yob who thought it cool to burn down a prize collection of cacti when he was young and the Shadow Chancellor .used to like to dress up in questionable costumes for parties (and of course he's not the only one). Of course then there are those who belong to drinking clubs which have a reputation for wrecking restaraunts and the Prime Minister himself has done many things which have caused offence'.

This is the thing the hatchet job thing has been done to death and the hysteria with which the Westminster Freakshow greets every new revelation is increasingly wearing so unless such revelations have some real potency and are not flippant then its probably not worth bothering. Not only that but UKIP are the mirror image of the politically crass Westminster Freakshow so many of the things which would create horror and disgust with the guardianista liberal elite of Islington and Notting Hill would actually possibly be considered a badge of honour. Westminster crass pedantry could as easily strengthen UKIP as it could expose their shortfalls.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    AndyJS said:

Former Labour MP Brian Jenkins won by 20 votes in Watling North (Staffordshire).
    His (former) wife Joan Jenkins won the Wilnecote by-election by 17 votes.

I noticed that many former MPs elected to the CCs were in their 60s and some even 70s. A spare time for retired men/women?

I guess having a proper (not flexible) job may not work well with the council's workload
    A research on the type of applicants for Cllr role in major parties could be interesting. How many of them are not retired-semiretired people or young hopefuls who want to use as a springboard for something higher (that actually usually happens in London Councils)....
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    Just watching Farage, fag and a pint, saying what he thinks... the others must look on with envy. 'There's a bloke, being himself, winning votes. Must be nice.'
  • Options

@RichardNabavi GuidoFawkes @JGForsyth Was the same under Thatcher. Posh wets full of noblesse obilge, middle class Thatcherites who could connect with electorate.

Ted Heath was from an almost identical social background to Margaret Thatcher.

Were they equally capable of connecting with the electorate?

This discussion has been closed.