Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Stodge’s third and final look at the locals – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,703

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

Andy_JS said:

"Inside Labour’s immigration dilemma
    The party might keep the Rwanda plan until it has agreed a returns policy with the EU.

By Andrew Marr"

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/labour/2024/04/would-labour-keep-the-rwanda-scheme

I hope Rwanda is binned on day one, assuming Labour wins.
    Along with this latest hideous attack on people with disabilities (including mental health).

Rishi Sunak belongs to that old Indian businessman mentality of Master-Slave, spuriously justified on the basis of caste but really nothing more than dog-eats-dog.

It’s profoundly un-British.
    Hmm this post I find vaguely problematic in criticising a British PM of immigrant stock for being "profoundly un-British".
    I think it’s very important to name it. Evil under the sun knows no distinction of race, creed, or colour. It exists everywhere on earth. It is the job of all good people to call it out.
    Your turn of phrase was unfortunate.

I doubt you meant your comment to be a racial slur, more a personal sleight against Sunak, but you know what a bunch of snowflakes we have on here.
    Yep good point. Delicate petals us all. Just a slip of the tongue I have no doubt. British PM of Indian descent is "un-British". I mean who hasn't by mistake used a racist slur of this type.
    Perhaps it was satire, like "letter boxes" ,"bank robbers".and "water melon smiles".
    She's deadly serious.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,635
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

viewcode said:

kinabalu said:

I've spent some time with the Cass Report and I cannot for the life of me see why it's being touted as some killer document that settles the Trans debate once and for all in favour of the 'antis' faction (or 'sex realists' if we must). To me it just looks like a series of sensible sounding recommendations about improving the care offered to children presenting with gender distress.

I think it can be both, if you were to accept that many of the "sex realists" were good faith critics of what was the status quo, and didn't fit the trans-hating caricature that their opponents created.
    The whole point and unifying principle of gender critical thought is that trans women are not women, usually phrased as "trans women are men" or "TWAM". Opinions vary as what is to be done with them, with at one end believing that they are to be dealt with politely but no further (eg calling them "her" in social situations but not allowed to use toilets), and others believing that they are not to be so characterised in any circumstances. But in no case is the status of "woman" to be bestowed upon them regarding single-sex situations.
    If a person believes the concept of Gender (as something potentially different to Birth Sex) is a load of old cobblers it follows that they feel the same about the Transgender identity. Doesn't it?
    If gender is about identifying as a man or a woman then it's obvious that the concept is not a load of old cobblers.

If it goes beyond 'identifying as' and into the realm of 'I actually am' then it is a load of old cobblers.
    That's becoming semantics though. Born female, id as male, transition to male, live your life as a male, die as a male ... what WERE you?

The answer to that is not a slamdunk imo.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,769
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

SNP MP Kirsty Blackman said: “Fewer people dislike John Swinney than dislike Kate Forbes”

A ringing endorsement.

Not being disliked as much as others can sometimes be a winning strategy, ask John Major or Starmer. Even if like them and Swinney you are as dull as ditchwater
    Insult to ditchwater
    Major at least had some charisma in person and on the stump (albeit he had Edwina whereas the other 2 seem to have no skeletons)
    Charisma on the stump, Edwina on his stump !!
  • Options
    Twickbait_55Twickbait_55 Posts: 116
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

Apologies if this has been posted already (clue: I don’t spend much time on here!) but today’s More in Common poll has their lowest ever Conservative share of the vote (24%) and it is the largest Labour lead at 19% published by the firm.*

More in Common have generally had the tories higher than most other firms, and the Labour lead lower.

This is hardly good news for the Conservatives coming into the locals.

* Well, they had one other 19% Labour lead in June 2023 off a smaller sample size

Equally I'm only able to jump in/out PB and add comment from time to time, although I check in a couple of times daily.

Indeed, this is a bad poll for the Tories from MiC. Results of course will be leavened as not all councils are on full election, but it really isn't looking good.
    Can I just say (sorry I am not able to spend much time on PB because I have a fabulously interesting and varied life and you would be so envious of me if only you knew how fabulous and interesting it actually was and can you believe that people actually spend huge amounts of time, even when they are so called "travelling" on PB posting pictures of beer and temples and dogs and so forth whereas my time is infinitely more worthily spent and if you could only imagine how busy and fabulous and interesting I am you would weep.) I see the Cons are down in the polls.
    Erm . . .
    Topping: I am guessing that somewhat rude comment was directed at my answer to Heather on his comments.

With respect, I enjoy looking into PB and commenting from time to time as I am interested in politics and psephology and have been for a long time. Regarding posting pictures of fabulous temples and glorious holidays and suchlike, no I don't tend to do this. I'm not much of a one for social media or indeed showing off. So you are knocking on a closed door there.

I'm usually too knackered, I work ingovernment running sheltered housing for elderly people, perhaps for your somebody similar your mother or grandparents...

Not everybody lives in some contrived Fantasyland.
    Yeah v interesting.
    Oh, so you are just a rude person then.

Sadly, this is what sometimes ruins the usually intelligent and interesting debate on PB. Snippy and smart arsed commentary. I'd love for you to have to do my job for a day, you wouldn't last five minutes and the (elderly social housing) residents would be all the worse for it.

It could be your own...
  • Options

kinabalu said:

I've spent some time with the Cass Report and I cannot for the life of me see why it's being touted as some killer document that settles the Trans debate once and for all in favour of the 'antis' faction (or 'sex realists' if we must). To me it just looks like a series of sensible sounding recommendations about improving the care offered to children presenting with gender distress.

What it does do is completely derail the “no debate” “science is settled” “affirmative care” model defended, predominantly by middle aged, mid-life transitioned men. You see their “late realisation of their true selves” is bolstered by the evidence of “trans kids” - of which there may be some, but probably nothing like the numbers put on the chemical castration, surgical mutilation conveyor belt as currently practiced. I’m sure you read the bits in Cass where she comments on mental health comorbidities and how practitioners have no idea which child will persist in their trans status and which will desist - often turning out gay. Puberty is often a great solution to gender distress - you could view it as a human right.
    The paucity of long term evidence on medical transitioning and the prevalence of other issues along with gender distress, yes. I was not surprised by either of those findings.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,893
    kle4 said:

I know he threatened Trump with jail in the Order, but will he dare do it? Because Trump will violate again, no question.

Presumably he is doing everything by the book.

Place the gag order.

Place the fine and warn of jail time.

Jail time...
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

Apologies if this has been posted already (clue: I don’t spend much time on here!) but today’s More in Common poll has their lowest ever Conservative share of the vote (24%) and it is the largest Labour lead at 19% published by the firm.*

More in Common have generally had the tories higher than most other firms, and the Labour lead lower.

* Well, they had one other 19% Labour lead in June 2023 off a smaller sample size

Equally I'm only able to jump in/out PB and add comment from time to time, although I check in a couple of times daily.

Indeed, this is a bad poll for the Tories from MiC. Results of course will be leavened as not all councils are on full election, but it really isn't looking good.
    Can I just say (sorry I am not able to spend much time on PB because I have a fabulously interesting and varied life and you would be so envious of me if only you knew how fabulous and interesting it actually was and can you believe that people actually spend huge amounts of time, even when they are so called "travelling" on PB posting pictures of beer and temples and dogs and so forth whereas my time is infinitely more worthily spent and if you could only imagine how busy and fabulous and interesting I am you would weep.) I see the Cons are down in the polls.
    Erm . . .
    Topping: I am guessing that somewhat rude comment was directed at my answer to Heather on his comments.

With respect, I enjoy looking into PB and commenting from time to time as I am interested in politics and psephology and have been for a long time. Regarding posting pictures of fabulous temples and glorious holidays and suchlike, no I don't tend to do this. I'm not much of a one for social media or indeed showing off. So you are knocking on a closed door there.

I'm usually too knackered, I work ingovernment running sheltered housing for elderly people, perhaps for your somebody similar your mother or grandparents...

Yeah v interesting.

Sadly, this is what sometimes ruins the usually intelligent and interesting debate on PB. Snippy and smart arsed commentary. I'd love for you to have to do my job for a day, you wouldn't last five minutes and the (elderly social housing) residents would be all the worse for it.

It could be your own...
    zzzzz
  • Options
    edited April 30
    viewcode said:

kinabalu said:

viewcode said:

kinabalu said:

I think it can be both, if you were to accept that many of the "sex realists" were good faith critics of what was the status quo, and didn't fit the trans-hating caricature that their opponents created.
    The whole point and unifying principle of gender critical thought is that trans women are not women, usually phrased as "trans women are men" or "TWAM". Opinions vary as what is to be done with them, with at one end believing that they are to be dealt with politely but no further (eg calling them "her" in social situations but not allowed to use toilets), and others believing that they are not to be so characterised in any circumstances. But in no case is the status of "woman" to be bestowed upon them regarding single-sex situations.
    If a person believes the concept of Gender (as something potentially different to Birth Sex) is a load of old cobblers it follows that they feel the same about the Transgender identity. Doesn't it?
    I don't know, sorry. I assume there is somebody somewhere who will say "yes", and somebody somewhere who will say "no". :(
    Or yes AND no from the same person even.

(sorry I wasn't expecting you to be Solomon there, more just floating some tentative logic)
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,743

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

Erm . . .

Yeah v interesting.

It could be your own...
    Field Marshal Topping is often rude to his subordinates. It goes with the territory. Attention!
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

Erm . . .

Yeah v interesting.

It could be your own...
    Field Marshal Topping is often rude to his subordinates. It goes with the territory. Attention!
    At least you have correctly identified the relationship between us.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,772
    Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

I know he threatened Trump with jail in the Order, but will he dare do it? Because Trump will violate again, no question.

Presumably he is doing everything by the book.

Place the gag order.

Place the fine and warn of jail time.

Jail time...
    He's left wiggle room - 'not tolerate continued wilfull violations', 'if necessary and appropriate under the circumstances' - which is only sensible.

I don't envy the role. Jail the man for not taking down the posts quick enough? Probably not going to happen. Jail for direct attacks? Justified, but the shit will hit the fan.

Of course it's all needless, since Trump has no need to violate the gag orders to attack witnesses and the like, he can get just as much mileage from complaining he cannot say things, and countless people and media will do all the attacking he needs.

Even a 1 night stint in jail might be illuminating though. Especially as he may not get prison time as a sentence even if he is convicted in this case (though it is possible).
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,840
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

isam said:

Sir Keir will fall apart under scrutiny in the campaign debates.

I think Madeley is quite a good interviewer, plenty don’t, but could the Labour leader look any more shifty and evasive here? The blinking, the Partridge smirk, the repetition. So evasive

https://youtu.be/CbnyjcYGw_M?si=5G_k2NaUauMjD72L

But he's up against Sunak. And Davey. And TBC from the SNP.

So he'll look like a titan.
    Personally I don’t think he will out perform Sunak in the debates.
    I think Sunak would do quite well in the debates: while he's been a poor leader, he's no idiot, and is used to thinking on his feet. He'll also do better in an environment where he just needs to calmly keep repeating a few talking points. And, of course, his dullness will work to his advantage: what great personal failing can be laid at Sunak's feet.

This, of course, depends on there being debates. With Starmer twenty points up, why would he risk them?
    Sunak was very poor in the Tory leadership hustings. Unlike Truss, who did a different version of her stump speech to each event, he stuck to his 3 stupid lines delivered in an oddly high pitched, patronising tone. 'Our Wimmin!' etc. I haven't really watched any of his Commons duels with Starmer, as I have paint drying that I'd prefer to watch, but I don't hear great things, and I don't see why GE debates will reveal any hitherto unseen form.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

Erm . . .

Yeah v interesting.

It could be your own...
    Generals often just talk, but workers do the work.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

Erm . . .

Yeah v interesting.

It could be your own...
    OK I am going to allow you to have the last word here.

Go for it and make it a good 'un.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,020
    UPDATE | John Swinney said the party found itself in a 'different and more difficult situation' than it was 12 months ago – when he decided not to run.

https://x.com/stvnews/status/1785355822354096606?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,072
    Heathener said:

Anyway, I’ll leave that one there. I’m very happy to call out evil wherever it exists across all colours, creeds, and races. Including my own.

But we have a fabric of social conscience and welfare in this country which that nasty piece of work wants to dismantle.

Judgement comes.

You are a shameful racist using disgusting tropes about brown people.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,135
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

Erm . . .

Yeah v interesting.

It could be your own...

You've been demoted from Field Marshall to General in the space of a few minutes!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,020
    NEW: John Swinney is the preferred choice to replace Humza Yousaf as first minister among SNP members.
    Among the general public, people prefer Kate Forbes for the role, a new Ipsos poll has found.

Both are seen as better picks than Anas Sarwar or Douglas Ross.

https://x.com/scotnational/status/1785356146083004891
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,753
    viewcode said:

...it "wouldn't be my style" to ignore the voices telling him to run this time...

"Voices"? "Voices"????

Look, we had Liz Truss as PM. Being batshit crazy is not a bar to high office.

And, if I wanted to be a little more controversial I could point out Kate Forbes believes she hears voices too.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,135
    New thread.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,753
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

@ProjectLincoln

Starting Topics:
    1. Judge Merchan has found Trump in contempt for 9 violations of the gag order in his election interference trial, fining him $1,000 each. He's also been threatened with jail time if he violates the order again. Trump has now violated his pretrial release conditions in all 4 of his criminal cases. He's testing the limits of the court and judicial system because he has no respect for the rule of law. None of this will matter to his supporters in the Republican Party who now view the rule of law as nothing but a speed bump in their path to absolute power.

2. In a new @Time interview, Trump lays out the most brazen, disturbing picture of what a second Trump term would look like yet. He tells Time he would “let red states monitor women’s pregnancies and prosecute those who violate abortion bans." When asked if he will pardon every one of the J6 insurrectionists, "absolutely yes." Nothing about Trump is normal and no one should think that he and President Biden are similar candidates. Biden respects the rule of law, individual rights, and democracy. Trump wants to make himself a dictator and destroy America by turning it into a fascist nation.

3. Trump's ongoing criminal trial continues to highlight his weaknesses on a national stage, and he can't slow it any longer. He tried to delay it but now everyone knows about his indiscretions, and his wife hates him. He's humiliated his family, and is sitting in cold courtrooms alone. His dementia is on full display, as he can barely stay awake in the middle of his own trial proceedings. Trump falls asleep in the courtroom because he stays up all night dejected, afraid and all alone. Try as he might, the only person to blame is Donald Trump.

The judge's comments on the finding of contempt were quite pointed, in essentially stating it's unfortunate $1000 is the maximum rather than something which might be proportionate to the wealth of a particular defendant, noting that the former is not much of a punishment for some. So it is $1000 per violation or jail, but he wishes he had more options.

There are still 4 more alleged subsequent breaches that have to be ruled upon. And, as you say, there will be more. It is the nature of the beast.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,757
    kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

viewcode said:

kinabalu said:

Well yes.
    It doesn't mean I'm not going to politely accede to someone who would rather I acted as if that person was the opposite sex.
    But to my mind having a secret and intangible 'who you really are' in your mind is no different to having a soul, and I don't believe in that either. My view is that you are basically your biology.
    Yes, I get that. But there is the condition of gender dysphoria (gender identity differing from birth sex). And the law (the GRA) recognizes this identity as valid.

So ... and I don't mean this in a bad way ... it doesn't matter what you believe, does it?
    It doesn't. I started out agreeing with your point - i.e. that if you think gender is a load of old cobblers you would think the same of the transgender identity.
    FWIW my view is that gender dysphoria is a mental issue which is being addressed as a physical issue. But as you say, it doesn't matter what I think.
  • Options
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

Erm . . .

Yeah v interesting.

It could be your own...

You've been demoted from Field Marshall to General in the space of a few minutes!
    I rest my case m' lud 😉
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,958
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

Erm . . .

Yeah v interesting.

It could be your own...
    The profoundly British toff-prole relationship, anathema to so much of the world?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,946
    edited May 2
    kinabalu said:

In principle the Cass Report has nothing to do with the rights and wrongs of gender identification and certainly has nothing to do with what it means to be a woman.

It is as you say a report on best practice for medical care. As such the audience is young people who are, or who think they are, of a different gender from the one they were born they were born with and are going through distress because of that, and their parents, medical practitioners and health policy makers. Most of us have no idea about best medical treatments.

I think Cass does have two problems. The people it is supposed to be helping are substantially hostile to it. By concentrating on treatments that should be stopped at least for now without proposing alternatives, the effect of Cass will be to limit treatment for those needing it, even though I don't think that's its intention.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 56,409
    Andy_JS said:

"Inside Labour’s immigration dilemma
    The party might keep the Rwanda plan until it has agreed a returns policy with the EU.

By Andrew Marr"

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/labour/2024/04/would-labour-keep-the-rwanda-scheme

Looooooolllll
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,677
    edited May 2

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Heathener said:

Erm . . .

Yeah v interesting.

It could be your own...
    He's just channeling Leon this morning.
    The original does it better.
This discussion has been closed.