Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why the local elections could bring some temporary respite to Sunak – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,692
edited April 28 in General
Why the local elections could bring some temporary respite to Sunak – politicalbetting.com

… the main reason for my new scepticism about massive Con losses is that while as shorthand it's acceptable to say the seats were last fought at the Tory high tide of 2021, that is a simplification. A third of the seats up in May were last fought in 2019, 2022 or 2023… 2/5

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,796
    First, and there's not the slightest hope that Sunak will get any consolation from the locals. Much the reverse.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,012
    The expectations for May 2nd are so low, any result that leaves them with more than one councillor and doesn't involve a cabinet minister publicly shitting on a picture of the Princess of Wales will feel like a fucking triumph.

I feel like the tories are so fucked out, brain-dead and exhausted that they can't even be bothered to oust Big Rish no matter what.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,835
    Second, with the additional downside for the Tories that in many places it will clarify the tactical argument between Labour and LDs as to who is best placed to beat them.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,006
    Omnium said:

First, and there's not the slightest hope that Sunak will get any consolation from the locals. Much the reverse.

I don’t think the Tories will lose the council seats many expect them to.

But I can’t see them retaining many of the mayoral seats - North Yorkshire is probably the only good news story they will get and that’s an expected win
  • Options
    eek said:

Omnium said:

But I can’t see them retaining many of the mayoral seats - North Yorkshire is probably the only good news story they will get and that’s an expected win
    Oooh, a bet - choose what you think is a fair consensus line and I'll bet you 20 pounds that they do worse than that.

Proceeds to PB.

(There's no rush about the line - just PM me, and it'll be good)
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,615
    FPT - Nigelb said:
    Mr Communication Skillz

After repeatedly denying that the fall in small boat crossings last year had anything to do with the weather, Rishi Sunak's spokesperson now blames rising small boat crossing numbers on... the weather.
    https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1775119772365045955

SSI - Note that in late 1942 - early 1943, the Luffwaffe blamed "the weather" for their failure to supply the German 6th Army in Stalingrad.

Back then, the Wehrmacht was in roughly same strategic situation, that CUP HMG is dealing with (just as badly) in 2024.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,723
    Dura_Ace said:

The expectations for May 2nd are so low, any result that leaves them with more than one councillor and doesn't involve a cabinet minister publicly shitting on a picture of the Princess of Wales will feel like a fucking triumph.

I feel like the tories are so fucked out, brain-dead and exhausted that they can't even be bothered to oust Big Rish no matter what.

Penny's rampant gladius says that you're wrong.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,289
    Interesting. What I do now think likely is that the longer he leaves the GE, the worse things will get for him and the Party.

If there’s any possible way of spinning May 2nd then he should go straight to the country in June.

If he doesn’t, and I’m not expecting him to have the courage, then I’m beginning to think they face Armageddon in the autumn.
  • Options
    More Voter Fraud from The Experts . . . the GOP (Grifters on Parade):

AP (via Seattle Times) - Iowa woman sentenced in ballot box stuffing scheme to support husband

SIOUX CITY, Iowa (AP) — The wife of an Iowa county supervisor was sentenced Monday to four months in jail after being convicted in a scheme to stuff the ballot box to support her husband’s unsuccessful campaign for a congressional seat.

Kim Taylor also was ordered to serve four months’ home confinement following her release from prison and to pay $5,200, KTIV-TV reports.

Prosecutors said Taylor, a Vietnam native who was convicted in November of 52 counts related to voter fraud, approached numerous voters of Vietnamese heritage with limited English comprehension and filled out and signed election forms and ballots on behalf of them and their English-speaking children.

They said the scheme was designed to help her husband, Jeremy Taylor, a former Iowa House member, who finished a distant third in the 2020 race for the Republican nomination to run for Iowa’s 4th District congressional seat. Despite that loss, he ultimately won election to the Woodbury County Board of Supervisors that fall.

No one testified to seeing Kim Taylor personally sign any of the documents, but her presence in each voter’s home when the forms were filled out was the common thread through the case.

Jeremy Taylor, who met his wife while teaching in Vietnam, has not been charged but has been named as an unindicted co-conspirator.

SSI - Here are the results of the primary in question, note emphasizes the stupidity of the convicted election fraudster, seeing as how her hubby had even less chance of winning that primary than (for example) Hillary Clinton.

Republican 2020 Primary for US House, Iowa 4th Congressional District (source NYT)
    Randy Feenstra
    36,797 45.7%
    Steve King (incumbent)
    28,977 36.0
    Jeremy Taylor
    6,295 7.8
    Bret Richards
    5,983 7.4
    Steven Reeder
    2,463 3.1%
  • Options
    Gut microbiome and metabolome profiling in Framingham heart study reveals cholesterol-metabolizing bacteria
    https://www.cell.com/cell/abstract/S0092-8674(24)00305-2
    Accumulating evidence suggests that cardiovascular disease (CVD) is associated with an altered gut microbiome. Our understanding of the underlying mechanisms has been hindered by lack of matched multi-omic data with diagnostic biomarkers. To comprehensively profile gut microbiome contributions to CVD, we generated stool metagenomics and metabolomics from 1,429 Framingham Heart Study participants. We identified blood lipids and cardiovascular health measurements associated with microbiome and metabolome composition. Integrated analysis revealed microbial pathways implicated in CVD, including flavonoid, γ-butyrobetaine, and cholesterol metabolism. Species from the Oscillibacter genus were associated with decreased fecal and plasma cholesterol levels. Using functional prediction and in vitro characterization of multiple representative human gut Oscillibacter isolates, we uncovered conserved cholesterol-metabolizing capabilities, including glycosylation and dehydrogenation. These findings suggest that cholesterol metabolism is a broad property of phylogenetically diverse Oscillibacter spp., with potential benefits for lipid homeostasis and cardiovascular health...
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,018
    Heathener said:

Interesting. What I do now think likely is that the longer he leaves the GE, the worse things will get for him and the Party.

If there’s any possible way of spinning May 2nd then he should go straight to the country in June.

If he doesn’t, and I’m not expecting him to have the courage, then I’m beginning to think they face Armageddon in the autumn.

While the by-election is being called because the last MP left ‘under a cloud’ I suspect the result in Blackpool South will be at least as significant as the locals. The Reform candidate is, apparently a local charity worker who also does, or perhaps did, some preaching. Might, or then again, might not have a following.
    On the face of it the LibDem doesn’t seem to be a good choice; a former London local government councillor. Industrial Lancashire isn’t, allegedly anyway, that friendly to people who speak Estuary, although I never had any problems in Manchester when I worked there 60 years ago.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,264
    Wouldn't it be great if the Tories lose 350 seats and Street and Houchen and Hall and up pops Andrew Bowie with his usual huge sincerity to tell the media hacks what a terrible result this is for Keir Starmer?
  • Options
    Simon_PeachSimon_Peach Posts: 409
    eek said:

Omnium said:

Given that it is York and North Yorkshire, and that the latest MRP shows Julian Smith losing his seat and Sunak just holding on, the Conservatives may struggle. Sensibly, their candidate - Keane Duncan, a local politics wunderkind - is avoiding the minor detail that he is the Conservative candidate from his election material…
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,694
    When the Tories won the Uxbridge by-election, the headlines screamed “Tory win”. More considered analyses noted that they’d held on to Uxbridge, but there’d been a significant swing against them, enough to, if repeated nationally, deprive them of their majority.

I feel the same will apply here. Maybe on a considered analysis, the local election results won’t be as bad as they could’ve been for the Tories, but that message won’t cut through. It will be “Tory losses” in the headlines. Headline writers and the public are not psephologists.

What the Tories will need to look good is something high-profile, which means Houchen and/or Street hanging on.
  • Options
    Spokane Spokesman-Review (via Seattle Times) - Are potatoes vegetables? WA Sen. Cantwell and Gov. Inslee think so

. . . . In the United States, the government sorts food into five categories: dairy, fruit, grains, protein and vegetables. Potatoes are classified as a vegetable.

But a federal government agency called the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee is considering reclassifying potatoes as a grain when it updates its dietary guidelines for 2025.

U.S. senators from Washington and Idaho joined a group of 12 other national lawmakers to send a letter to that advisory committee, urging it to keep potatoes classified as vegetables.

enators Maria Cantwell, D-Wash.; James Risch, R-Idaho; and Mike Crapo, R-Idaho, all signed the letter showing opposition to reclassifying potatoes as grains.

“Since the inception of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, it has classified potatoes correctly as a vegetable,” the letter reads. “There is no debate about the physical characteristics of the potato and its horticultural scientific classification. Unlike grains, white potatoes are strong contributors of potassium, calcium, vitamin C, vitamin B6, and fiber.”

The group of 14 senators argued that reclassifying potatoes as grains would confuse consumers and retailers. . . .

The National Potato Council argued in the letter that potatoes offer more of a nutritional punch than wheat and other grains, noting that potatoes have more potassium than bananas. A medium baked potato contains 15% of the daily recommended value of dietary fiber, 27% of the daily recommended value of vitamin B6 and 28% of the daily recommended value of vitamin C, the letter reads.

State Sen. Mark Schoesler, R-Ritzville, is a farmer from Eastern Washington who says he has represented the state’s potato lobby for his entire political career. He called the conversation about reclassifying potatoes as a grain “idiotic and ignorant,” saying any government agency pushing to do so should be defunded.

“They have an ax to grind, a vendetta against potato producers,” Schoesler said. “Don’t they have something better to do?”

SSI - And who say's bipartisanship is dead in Washington DC or in WA State?

As you may already have guessed, WA is a major potato-growing state, with spuds coming from section of eastern WA around Moses Lake. But NOT as big a producer as neighboring Idaho, which for years has been (in)famous for the proud motto "Famous Potatoes" emblazoned on its auto license plates.

https://www.amazon.com/Replica-License-Potatoes-Embossed-Novelty/dp/B0BKLTP9NB?th=1
  • Options
    kjh said:

Sitting in hospital having just had my trigger finger op (very minor op). The notes they had for me were for someone else with the same name. Still got that sorted and they didn't amputate my leg by accident so all is well. Waiting to be discharged now.

Isn’t that problem alleged to be ‘evidence’ of Viking ancestry?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919
    kjh said:

Sitting in hospital having just had my trigger finger op (very minor op). The notes they had for me were for someone else with the same name. Still got that sorted and they didn't amputate my leg by accident so all is well. Waiting to be discharged now.

:open_mouth:
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,266
    edited April 2

Wouldn't it be great if the Tories lose 350 seats and Street and Houchen and Hall and up pops Andrew Bowie with his usual huge sincerity to tell the media hacks what a terrible result this is for Keir Starmer?

In suspect Street will win. His frequent disassociation with his party will work in his favour.

Although Lord Ben Houchen of Teesport Scandal pretends not to be a Tory, that lie is quite difficult to deliver.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,512
    FPT: For Topping (and others), the findings in this book:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Millionaire_Next_Door

"Most of the millionaire households that they profiled did not have the extravagant lifestyles that most people would assume. This finding is backed up by surveys indicating how little these millionaire households have spent on such things as cars, watches, clothing, and other luxury products/services. Most importantly, the book gives a list of reasons for why these people managed to accumulate so much wealth (the top one being that "They live below their means")."

(One finding that may amuse some of you: Scots families in the US were, at the time of the study, about twice as likely to be millionaires as English families.)
  • Options

When the Tories won the Uxbridge by-election, the headlines screamed “Tory win”. More considered analyses noted that they’d held on to Uxbridge, but there’d been a significant swing against them, enough to, if repeated nationally, deprive them of their majority.

I feel the same will apply here. Maybe on a considered analysis, the local election results won’t be as bad as they could’ve been for the Tories, but that message won’t cut through. It will be “Tory losses” in the headlines. Headline writers and the public are not psephologists.

What the Tories will need to look good is something high-profile, which means Houchen and/or Street hanging on.

What the Tories will need to look good is something high-profile, which means an unexpected gain somewhere.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,817
    edited April 2
    The other thing that could stem Tory losses is the variation due to mayoral cycles in some of the metros.

So, 2021 was a decent cycle for Labour in Greater Manchester, slipstreaming a little from an Andy Burnham at the peak of his powers and decent turnout

Conversely, in the West Midlands, I suspect the Tories over performed.

Will be interesting to say if such nuances slant the overall picture.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,060
    @SkyNews

BREAKING: JK Rowling's comments about new hate crime laws "are not assessed to be criminal", police have said, as they confirmed no further action would be taken
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,280
    edited April 2

Heathener said:

While the by-election is being called because the last MP left ‘under a cloud’ I suspect the result in Blackpool South will be at least as significant as the locals. The Reform candidate is, apparently a local charity worker who also does, or perhaps did, some preaching. Might, or then again, might not have a following.
    On the face of it the LibDem doesn’t seem to be a good choice; a former London local government councillor. Industrial Lancashire isn’t, allegedly anyway, that friendly to people who speak Estuary, although I never had any problems in Manchester when I worked there 60 years ago.
    Yep, Blackpool has the potential to answer the question, are Reform going to be a big factor at the GE? I'm unable to root for a Yes despite it being the Cons who will likely benefit if it's a No.
  • Options
    kjh said:

That is gross incompetence of a high order, you should register a complaint with the hospital administration AND with higher authority (perhaps via you MP).

Wondering how many other patients have been affected by suchlike?

For example . . .

Stir Crazy (1980) - Cover Your Jewels Scene
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvnWjkHgWEw
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,831

kjh said:

What, amputating people's legs? Very Viking thing to do, surely.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,968
    edited April 2
    Survation have a London poll out (apols if posted already)
    Khan 44
    Hall 26
    Others single figs

And London Westminster
    Lab 52
    Con 21
    LD 11

About 7.5% swing ConLab and 4% swing ConLD from 2019
  • Options

In suspect Street will win. His frequent disassociation with his party will work in his favour.

Although Lord Ben Houchen of Teesport Scandal pretends not to be a Tory, that lie is quite difficult to deliver.
    A 5% swing topples Street. National polling suggests a swing since 2021 of much more than 5%. If he holds on, he will be a Tory hero and hopefully a model for the rest of the party. He’ll also be the most powerful Conservative Party politician in the country in 2025.
  • Options

Spokane Spokesman-Review (via Seattle Times) - Are potatoes vegetables? WA Sen. Cantwell and Gov. Inslee think so

. . . . In the United States, the government sorts food into five categories: dairy, fruit, grains, protein and vegetables. Potatoes are classified as a vegetable.

But a federal government agency called the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee is considering reclassifying potatoes as a grain when it updates its dietary guidelines for 2025.

U.S. senators from Washington and Idaho joined a group of 12 other national lawmakers to send a letter to that advisory committee, urging it to keep potatoes classified as vegetables.

enators Maria Cantwell, D-Wash.; James Risch, R-Idaho; and Mike Crapo, R-Idaho, all signed the letter showing opposition to reclassifying potatoes as grains.

“Since the inception of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, it has classified potatoes correctly as a vegetable,” the letter reads. “There is no debate about the physical characteristics of the potato and its horticultural scientific classification. Unlike grains, white potatoes are strong contributors of potassium, calcium, vitamin C, vitamin B6, and fiber.”

The group of 14 senators argued that reclassifying potatoes as grains would confuse consumers and retailers. . .

And me.

They are root vegetables. In what way are they grains - even metaphorically ?
  • Options

"Most of the millionaire households that they profiled did not have the extravagant lifestyles that most people would assume. This finding is backed up by surveys indicating how little these millionaire households have spent on such things as cars, watches, clothing, and other luxury products/services. Most importantly, the book gives a list of reasons for why these people managed to accumulate so much wealth (the top one being that "They live below their means")."

(One finding that may amuse some of you: Scots families in the US were, at the time of the study, about twice as likely to be millionaires as English families.)

Scrooge McDuck syndrome?

Perhaps worth noting that a million bucks today, just ain't what it used to be.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@SkyNews

BREAKING: JK Rowling's comments about new hate crime laws "are not assessed to be criminal", police have said, as they confirmed no further action would be taken

What does Joanne have to do to get arrested? Answers in no less than 1300 pages.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kjh said:

What, amputating people's legs? Very Viking thing to do, surely.
    Heads, surely!
    But no, trigger finger problems.
  • Options

A 5% swing topples Street. National polling suggests a swing since 2021 of much more than 5%. If he holds on, he will be a Tory hero and hopefully a model for the rest of the party. He’ll also be the most powerful Conservative Party politician in the country in 2025.
    And he'd need to be front and centre of their West Mids GE campaign
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

The group of 14 senators argued that reclassifying potatoes as grains would confuse consumers and retailers. . .

And me.

Nature of their usage and nutrient content. As the bulk starch element, like pasta, polenta, rice, bread.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,280
    Scott_xP said:

@SkyNews

Not sure they should have commented at all.
  • Options

His profile will buck the trend. He makes light of the Conservative connection and. I suspect his polling material barely hints at the Conservative Party. He has been working with Burnham and seems a decent guy.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,144

Scott_xP said:

@SkyNews

What does Joanne have to do to get arrested? Answers in no less than 1300 pages.
    It seems her carefully constructed content wasn't enough to get her a day in court (obv.), and yet allows her to arbitrarily apply this "judgement" to everything else she's ever said and/or done, for the benefit of the court of public opinion.

The legislation in question remains dreadful and it is no surprise that the police have decided that NFA is an excellent general-purpose response.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,240
    Scott_xP said:

@SkyNews

Will they log it as a NCHI though 🤔
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883

@DominoR87778
    Number of people England who voted Labour at a GE

2017: Corbyn 11.4 mill
    1997: Blair 11.3 mill
    1992: Kinnock 9.6 mill
    2019: Corbyn 9.2 mill
    2001: Blair 9.1 mill
    2015: Miliband 8.1 mill
    2005: Blair 8.0 mill
    2010: Brown 7.0 mill

Whilst against the whole establishment
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,448
    OT shopping sitrep. No Covid masks. The many foodbank donation bins were full to overflowing, presumably due to Ramadan with help from Easter and Passover.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,896
    edited April 2
    kjh said:

I think I'd make a bit of a fuss about that.

Not because it had caused harm or to be awkward but because it must be a risk for future patients and should be fixed.

The chances of anyone actually listening or changing their broken process must be pretty low though (one of the many problem with the NHS).
  • Options
    edited April 2

@DominoR87778

2017: Corbyn 11.4 mill (Lost)
    1997: Blair 11.3 mill. (Won)
    1992: Kinnock 9.6 mill. (Lost)
    2019: Corbyn 9.2 mill. (Lost)
    2001: Blair 9.1 mill. (Won)
    2015: Miliband 8.1 mill. (Lost)
    2005: Blair 8.0 mill. (Won)
    2010: Brown 7.0 mill. (Lost)

And your point is?
  • Options

Street is toast. He will lose to labour and as for Houchen he would even lose this time if labour put up the weak candidate they had last time.
  • Options

kjh said:

Not because it had caused harm or to be awkward but because it must be a risk for future patients and should be fixed.

The chances of anyone actually listening or changing their broken process must be pretty low though (one of the many problem with the NHS).
    It should be logged as a near miss. If you write to them and say you expect them to do a root cause analysis of what happened, they might.
  • Options

Khan 44
    Hall 26
    Others single figs

And London Westminster
    Lab 52
    Con 21
    LD 11

So Khan is considerably less popular than his party in London and the reverse applies to Hall.

Interesting.
  • Options

I guess one shouldn’t be judged by one’s partner but in Andy Street’s case it’s quite difficult to avoid the toxicity involved.
  • Options
    Microsoft warns deepfake election subversion is disturbingly easy
    Simple stuff like slapping on a logo fools more folks and travels further

https://www.theregister.com/2024/04/02/microsoft_election_ai_fakes/
  • Options

kjh said:

A few years ago, yours truly went to my local health provider for some blood work ordered by my doctor.

The procedure at the lab, was for staff to ask patients NOT just about their names BUT also for their date of birth.

Turned out that another guy also at the lab for tests, also had my same first and last name; but different DOB.

Thankfully they checked BOTH names AND birth dates.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Khan 44
    Hall 26
    Others single figs

And London Westminster
    Lab 52
    Con 21
    LD 11

So Khan is considerably less popular than his party in London and the reverse applies to Hall.

Interesting.
    Hall opinion poll votes in London are just 'not Khan'. There is nothing popular about Hall.
  • Options
    edited April 2
    O/t football is heading for a big problem.

This isn’t about something woke (as if I’d mind that). It’s a serious issue.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68713327

Raphael Varane: Man Utd and France defender says heading has 'damaged his body’
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    edited April 2

Thanks - doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

My point was that for many of the country most PB commentator's lifestyles represent extravagance beyond imagination.

So what? For many in India, the lifestyle of those on the minimum wage represents the same thing.

And so on. I might think how bonkers to spend £100,000 on a watch. But someone who either values owning a smart watch more than me or who has a net worth higher than mine might think nothing of it.
  • Options
    Taz said:

Khan 44
    Hall 26
    Others single figs

And London Westminster
    Lab 52
    Con 21
    LD 11

Interesting.
    Same pattern with Bailey. I think the Tories would probably take both those results as "ok in the current climate'
  • Options

kjh said:

A few years ago, yours truly went to my local health provider for some blood work ordered by my doctor.

The procedure at the lab, was for staff to ask patients NOT just about their names BUT also for their date of birth.

Turned out that another guy also at the lab for tests, also had my same first and last name; but different DOB.

Name and DOB are better but might not be sufficient.

Admittedly it is a low probability event to have 'twins' in the same hospital but as Mrs Flatlander will tell you (a saga with HMRC which I recounted on here a while back) there is still a non-zero chance of confusion.

I thought this was what patient wrist bands were for?
  • Options
    Taz said:

Khan 44
    Hall 26
    Others single figs

And London Westminster
    Lab 52
    Con 21
    LD 11

Interesting.
    The highest favourability rating is not quite Hall’s, but Rob Blackie’s.
  • Options

kjh said:

This is part of my problem with the NHS. Can anyone say that more funding will help such an institutional disregard at the individual level for peoples' well-being.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,835

@DominoR87778

And the population and therefore the electorate grow over time, significantly so after 25 years or more..
  • Options

kjh said:

Admittedly it is a low probability event to have 'twins' in the same hospital but as Mrs Flatlander will tell you (a saga with HMRC which I recounted on here a while back) there is still a non-zero chance of confusion.

The risk is higher because some people born outside the UK don’t have known dates of birth, so they all get lumped in to the first of the month or the first of the year.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

I thought this was a known thing.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kjh said:

This is part of my problem with the NHS. Can anyone say that more funding will help such an institutional disregard at the individual level for peoples' well-being.
    Yes, and I say that as someone who has taught a module in Patient Safety for many years. Because it’s not about an “institutional disregard”, it’s about individuals making errors in certain conditions. For example, if staffing is low on a ward, individuals are more likely to be interrupted during a task, a major cause of these sorts of errors.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,215

kjh said:

That is gross incompetence of a high order, you should register a complaint with the hospital administration AND with higher authority (perhaps via you MP).

For example . . .

As OKC will know very well nothing happens in the NHS without lots of checking (e.g. date of birth). Odds of same name plus DoB are minuscule, so chances of missing legs not high.
  • Options
    CleitophonCleitophon Posts: 222
    "made of more resilient stuff"

Pure metaphysics....

Yet another "why the numbers aren't the numbers" post in PB 🙄🙄🙄
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,204
    Nigelb said:

Dura_Ace said:

Penny's rampant gladius says that you're wrong.
    Not to mention Shappsy’s extravagantly plumped up syrup.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,888
    Scott_xP said:

@SkyNews

Wasn't this already known up front? Specifically, that the exposition of gender critical thought was not within the remit of the thing.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

kjh said:

Yes, and I say that as someone who has taught a module in Patient Safety for many years. Because it’s not about an “institutional disregard”, it’s about individuals making errors in certain conditions. For example, if staffing is low on a ward, individuals are more likely to be interrupted during a task, a major cause of these sorts of errors.
    Uh-huh.

Well you have done the study. More money will prevent someone putting the wrong name on a patient's notes.

I'm sure it would also prevent the eg contaminated blood scandal and suchlike.
  • Options
    edited April 2

Microsoft warns deepfake election subversion is disturbingly easy
    Simple stuff like slapping on a logo fools more folks and travels further

https://www.theregister.com/2024/04/02/microsoft_election_ai_fakes/

Yes, the US elections are going to be a total and utter sh!t-show of fakery.

The UK election will be the same online, but thankfully there isn’t the pervasive negative TV campaigning we see in the States.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,495

@DominoR87778

And your point is?
    Let me have a go…

Something
    Something
    Sir Keith “Kid Starver & Genocide” Starmer is the worst Blue Tory ever
    Something

Do I win a cookie?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

@SkyNews

They can act expeditiously when they want to it appears..
  • Options

kjh said:

My NHS experience of the past couple of years is of always being asked for my date of birth first, which presumably then pops up candidate names on the NHS computer, then name, and finally partial address. (Sometimes it worries me that people nearby can hear all this but I suppose it is better than having the wrong leg lopped off.)
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

And me.

Nature of their usage and nutrient content. As the bulk starch element, like pasta, polenta, rice, bread.
    No, it’s mental. It’s a classic anti potato agenda .
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

@SkyNews

Also, it saves every single journalist asking them every single day till the hacks get an answer.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,888

@DominoR87778

You need to do percentage of those who voted, not just the absolute value. The point is not just to get the most votes than the previous leaders, it's to get more votes than the leader of the other party.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,516

@DominoR87778

And the population and therefore the electorate grow over time, significantly so after 25 years or more..
    John Major's 1992 score of 14.1 million votes still hasn't been beaten.
  • Options

@DominoR87778

And your point is?
    Let me have a go…

Something
    Something
    Something

Do I win a cookie?
    I think you probably do, and Green Party membership until Starmer is deposed.
  • Options
    edited April 2

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

And me.

Doesn't mean it's completely wrong. The claim that grains don't provide fibre tout court is crap (so to speak), but then we eat a lot of wholegrains. And vitC content is fairly low, really dependinng on how fresh they are and how cooked. It is only really important if you eat only burgers and chips. Even then, it's possible to develop scurvy IIRC.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    viewcode said:

@DominoR87778

You need to do percentage of those who voted, not just the absolute value. The point is not just to get the most votes than the previous leaders, it's to get more votes than the leader of the other party.
    Not if you're a Corbynista. That would represent compromise with the electorate. The number of people you provoke / push to vote against you is not a consideration. Elections are not about winning; they're about expressing support as one might for a petition or rally.
  • Options

@DominoR87778

And your point is?
    One of the interesting things about those numbers (as they repeatedly turn up) is that they suggest that once people decide they *aren't* voting for a party they don't vote. So you can win a decent majority (66) with just 8m votes.
  • Options

kjh said:

For example . . .

As OKC will know very well nothing happens in the NHS without lots of checking (e.g. date of birth). Odds of same name plus DoB are minuscule, so chances of missing legs not high.
    Perhaps I misread original comment, but wasn't it the PATIENT who caught the error and NOT hospital staff?

And "not high" chance of waking up with a missing leg . . . or whatever, ain't exactly reassuring.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

kjh said:

Uh-huh.

Well you have done the study. More money will prevent someone putting the wrong name on a patient's notes.

I'm sure it would also prevent the eg contaminated blood scandal and suchlike.
    The contaminated blood scandal is a very different kind of event, but not one I’ve looked into much, so no comment on the underlying problem there.

We have seen big issues with institutional disregard in a variety of bodies: public, quasi-private (Post Office) and private (Boeing).
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,516

@DominoR87778

And your point is?
    Let me have a go…

Something
    Something
    Something

Do I win a cookie?
    Well you would, except Evil Keir Starmer has taken all the cookies to give to his fat cat mates or something.
  • Options

kjh said:

My real first name is extremely unusual, although my second isn’t. Doing some genealogical research I found someone with the exact same name. Dead now, I’m sure.
    Quite often get my names reversed in hospital. I understand, and don’t get cross, until the ‘offending’ member of staff argues with me.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

And me.

Doesn't mean it's completely wrong. The claim that grains don't provide fibre tout court is crap (so to speak), but then we eat a lot of wholegrains. And vitC content is fairly low, really dependinng on how fresh they are and how cooked. It is only really important if you eat only burgers and chips. Even then, it's possible to develop scurvy IIRC.
    I have no objection to people discussing the merits or harms of spuds, it’s the lunacy of shoehorning a root vegetable into the grain category.
    It’s Lysenkoist.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Scott_xP said:

@SkyNews

Wasn't this already known up front? Specifically, that the exposition of gender critical thought was not within the remit of the thing.
    Point of JKR exercise was NOT search for Truth (legal or otherwise3) but rather pursuit of ideology.

Mission accomplished.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,047
  • Options

viewcode said:

@DominoR87778

Not if you're a Corbynista. That would represent compromise with the electorate. The number of people you provoke / push to vote against you is not a consideration. Elections are not about winning; they're about expressing support as one might for a petition or rally.
    Indeed winning would be a disaster. Jeremy pitched himself perfectly, winning hearts and minds in 2017 but not power. Perfect!
  • Options

kjh said:

For example . . .

Perhaps I misread original comment, but wasn't it the PATIENT who caught the error and NOT hospital staff?

And "not high" chance of waking up with a missing leg . . . or whatever, ain't exactly reassuring.
    Before any procedure the correct route is to check name and DOB. The mix up would be caught.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

And me.

I have no objection to people discussing the merits or harms of spuds, it’s the lunacy of shoehorning a root vegetable into the grain category.
    It’s Lysenkoist.
    At risk of incurring your wrath (righteous or otherwise) for quoting yet more from the article I previously quoted, here is rationale for reclassifying the humble spud:

At the center of the spud identity crisis lies one central question: Is it harmful to classify potatoes as a vegetable?

Those who say the answer to that question is “yes” argue that potatoes are nowhere near as nutrient-dense as other vegetables, and officially classifying them as such misleads people and gives them a spot on hundreds of thousands of public school lunch trays that would be better filled with something like broccoli or romaine lettuce.

In a study, Harvard’s School of Public Health compared potatoes’ effects on blood sugar to that of a can of soda or a handful of jelly beans.

“The roller-coaster-like effect of a high dietary glycemic load can result in people feeling hungry again soon after eating,” the study reads, “which may then lead to overeating.”

SSI - So blame the elitists who pahk their cahs in Hahvad Yahd . . .
  • Options
    edited April 2

@DominoR87778

And your point is?
    Let me have a go…

Something
    Something
    Something

Do I win a cookie?
    Well you would, except Evil Keir Starmer has taken all the cookies to give to his fat cat mates or something.
    He took the cookies from the mouths of starving children on the Gaza Strip and fed them to donkeys didn't he?
  • Options
    edited April 2

kjh said:

My real first name is extremely unusual, although my second isn’t. Doing some genealogical research I found someone with the exact same name. Dead now, I’m sure.
    Quite often get my names reversed in hospital. I understand, and don’t get cross, until the ‘offending’ member of staff argues with me.
    I *used* to get `Adam Matthews` as a result of family name/given name box transposition when transcribing a paper form to computers. Since everything has long since been computers-first-and-only, that has dropped to `almost never`.

ETA: I still call in a hit squad every time anyone calls me "Matt" though.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

And me.

It’s Lysenkoist.
    At risk of incurring your wrath (righteous or otherwise) for quoting yet more from the article I previously quoted, here is rationale for reclassifying the humble spud:

At the center of the spud identity crisis lies one central question: Is it harmful to classify potatoes as a vegetable?

Those who say the answer to that question is “yes” argue that potatoes are nowhere near as nutrient-dense as other vegetables, and officially classifying them as such misleads people and gives them a spot on hundreds of thousands of public school lunch trays that would be better filled with something like broccoli or romaine lettuce.

In a study, Harvard’s School of Public Health compared potatoes’ effects on blood sugar to that of a can of soda or a handful of jelly beans.

“The roller-coaster-like effect of a high dietary glycemic load can result in people feeling hungry again soon after eating,” the study reads, “which may then lead to overeating.”

Reclassify, but not as a grain. Spuds don’t gently rustle in the wind as they slowly ripen from green to yellow.
    Don’t abuse science.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,989

OT shopping sitrep. No Covid masks. The many foodbank donation bins were full to overflowing, presumably due to Ramadan with help from Easter and Passover.

Presumably because the regular volunteer who empties them is away?
  • Options

kjh said:

For example . . .

Before any procedure the correct route is to check name and DOB. The mix up would be caught.
    Yes, as I already noted from my own humble experience.

Possible third method of patient ID might be (for example) patient's address; OR in USA last four digits of social security number (or in UK the patient's NHS number?)
  • Options

kjh said:

For example . . .

Yes, as I already noted from my own humble experience.

Possible third method of patient ID might be (for example) patient's address; OR in USA last four digits of social security number (or in UK the patient's NHS number?)
    Purge
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Scott_xP said:

@SkyNews

Also, it saves every single journalist asking them every single day till the hacks get an answer.
    Looks like Jakes might have to take the nuclear option

• Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,070
    FPT

The problem with the Lords isn't the hereditaries, it's the assorted lumpen social democratic lobby fodder appointed by successive Governments cluttering up the joint.

The whole thing is a craven abdication of moral duty, and your girl after ten minutes as PM installed a hatful of no mark donor's to the HoL and Johnson before her rammed it full of starlets and the starstruck (for Johnson).
    I actually think that’s unfair to Truss.

You may not like their politics, but Elliott (led the Brexit campaign) and Moynihan (entrepreneur who built up PA Consulting) are definitely not “no mark donors”

Porter is a classical SPAD appointment so a bit meh.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,753
    edited April 2
    Anecdote: until this year I'd never seen anyone fare dodging when getting on the London Underground, even though I use it fairly often. So far this year I've seen it happen quite a few times, right in front of staff at the gates. People brazenly pushing their way through the barriers, seemingly safe in the knowledge that no-one will do anything about it.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,336
    edited April 2
    Heathener said:

Good evening

There is a lot of evidence the damage heading does to a footballer especially in later life

I was playing a football match in Edinburgh in 1962 when I was elbowed in the back of the neck

Apparently I played for another 10 minutes before collapsing on the field and an ambulance was called. In the ambulance I said to my now wife you are wearing an engagement ring and who are you engaged to, before collapsing back into unconsciousness

I woke about 3.00am in the trauma ward of Edinburgh Royal Infirmary being violently sick and had no idea what had happened

It took over 6 months to recall going out to the match and playing, and even today I cannot recall everything about that evening

I didn't play football again and this is one isolated incident

The time may come when heading is outlawed but the game would not be recognisable
  • Options

kjh said:

For example . . .

https://www.hssib.org.uk/patient-safety-investigations/wrong-site-surgery-wrong-patient/

226 incidents of wrong site surgery in 2019-20. Some of these were wrong patient.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/jun/03/wrong-woman-given-invasive-procedure-among-nhs-mixups
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,336

kjh said:

My NHS experience of the past couple of years is of always being asked for my date of birth first, which presumably then pops up candidate names on the NHS computer, then name, and finally partial address. (Sometimes it worries me that people nearby can hear all this but I suppose it is better than having the wrong leg lopped off.)
    It is quite useful when you have a 29th February date as I do as there are very much fewer patients on NHS records born on the 29th February
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

And me.

It’s Lysenkoist.

Reclassify, but not as a grain. Spuds don’t gently rustle in the wind as they slowly ripen from green to yellow.
    Don’t abuse science.
    Back in the days when GOPers where raving about so-called "junk science" allegedly used by personal-injury lawyers, the Reagan Administration infamously attempted to define ketchup as a vegetable (sorta):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketchup_as_a_vegetable
This discussion has been closed.