Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Holidays can be cancelled of course – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,811
    nico679 said:

Apparently Badenoch says there should be space for forgiveness re Hester .

I’m sure she’d be also saying this if a Labour donor was involved !

Actually I would say that's the most half hearted defence of Hester Badenoch could make while staying on message.

The message is the problem and Badenoch is relatively uninvolved in that.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,139
    Leon said:

OK, PB Tropical Fruit Quiz, again

On the left, crisp fresh green mango. On the right crisp light beer

Is that a custard apple in the middle? If so, why is it orangey yellow, not green?

Girlie looking stuff for a lightweight
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,872
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Is that a custard apple in the middle? If so, why is it orangey yellow, not green?

African Custard Apple is yellow.
    Also known as a pitahaya. That’s what Sainsbury’s calls them.
    Or Waitrose (dragon fruit there).

£3.60 each at our Waitrose, outrageous!

I mean, it's got to be cheaper to get someone to fly you to South America hasn't it?
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,683

GIN1138 said:

carnforth said:

Will it be 1993 in reverse this time around? Polling for the October 2025 Canadian elections:

CPC: 46% (+12)
    LPC: 25% (-8)
    NDP: 15% (-3)
    BQ: 6% (-2)
    GPC: 4% (+2)
    PPC: 2% (-3)
    Others: 2%

Mainstreet Research / March 9, 2024 / n=1274 / MOE 2.7% / IVR

(% Change With 2021 Federal Election)

Another "time for a change" election. Trudeau and the Liberals have been around for a long time...
    Am I misremembering, or haven’t the Canadian Tories turned away from Trumpist populism and gone more One Nation? If so, is this a model our own country’s Conservatives might want to look at?
    Might want to wait until next Canuckian GE, to see how it works out for Team Blue in the Great White North?
  • Options

Corbetts Cross stormed away from just after two out to take the last race. Blew Apple Away (3rd) away, and everyone away.

Just three wins from my 7 bets today. It’s something to try and build on I suppose.

3 out of 7 at Cheltenham is good going
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

I mean, it's got to be cheaper to get someone to fly you to South America hasn't it?
    Cheapskate
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,903

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Ask Leon to bring a couple back.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,482
    edited March 12
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

No need!

https://www.leonsfruitshop.co.uk/
    https://www.leonsfruitshop.co.uk/product/custard-apples/
    https://www.leonsfruitshop.co.uk/product/dragon-fruits-4-99-each/
  • Options
    Germany's last solar module manufacturer.

Our data center just landed in Goodyear, Arizona. Odd situation, while we are forced to shutting down our top-notch Germany module factory because policy makers won’t agree on creating an EU level playing field, the U.S. got a strong vision for their strategic solar industry.
    https://twitter.com/GunterErfurt/status/1767611330880548888
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,688
    Leon said:

Call that a beer. This a beer.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,604
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

carnforth said:

Will it be 1993 in reverse this time around? Polling for the October 2025 Canadian elections:

CPC: 46% (+12)
    LPC: 25% (-8)
    NDP: 15% (-3)
    BQ: 6% (-2)
    GPC: 4% (+2)
    PPC: 2% (-3)
    Others: 2%

Mainstreet Research / March 9, 2024 / n=1274 / MOE 2.7% / IVR

(% Change With 2021 Federal Election)

Another "time for a change" election. Trudeau and the Liberals have been around for a long time...
    Am I misremembering, or haven’t the Canadian Tories turned away from Trumpist populism and gone more One Nation? If so, is this a model our own country’s Conservatives might want to look at?
    Of course. Elections are always won from the center left or center right (except in very unusual circumstances)
    It's centre, and I am surprised you've never shared this extensive knowledge of Canadian politics with us before.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

https://www.leonsfruitshop.co.uk/product/pitahiya-4-99-each/
  • Options
    edited March 12
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Well clearly it wasn't. I seem to have forgotten how to post a picture, but it was a pint of Broadside. A proper pint.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,181
    AlsoLei said:

On topic, the key reason to bet against May has nothing to do with holidays.

Many Tory MPs will be of the view that things are likely to get worse into the Autumn as the "running scared" narrative grows, and it may well be true that the best time to go for the Tory Party is now - they won't win, but may get a bit of credit for the surprise move, and limit the losses.

But Sunak doesn't face the same calculation. For him, the difference between May and November is six extra months as PM. He'll probably lose either way, and he's never going to get to be PM again. So it makes little difference how heavy his party's defeat is. Also, whilst November would probably produce a worse result, there is an outside chance of some event intervening between now and then. It's very unlikely, and any surprise could be a bad surprise just as much as it could be a good surprise. But it's more likely to happen over the course of eight months than it is over less than two.

Assumes he wants to be/cares about being PM for an extra six months.

Which is far from clear.
    This is the thing I keep wondering about.

He doesn't seem to enjoy the job. He's not interested in the business or sport of politics. He has no history in the party - no long years of activism before he became an MP. There's nothing in his past that would engender the sort of doomed-but-dogged loyalty of the John Major sort.

We all assume that he's got plans outside of parliament after the election. Indeed, there's some question about whether he ever did actually give up that green card. In a year's time, he'll be in California - and will be much happier there.

So what's keeping him in the job? What makes him want to continue on for an extra six months?

It can't even be a sense of pride in doing the right thing, or being willing to take one for the team - the team would be better served by a May election.

I simply can't understand why he would delay. And yet all the signs are that that's exactly what he's going to do!
    Indeed. If I were him, I’d cut and run. I suspect Mrs Sunak agrees with me too.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,607

Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

£5 per yellow dragon fruit! I am clearly profiteering

Out here they are 50p each
  • Options

Nice to see that Badenoch is calling for forgiveness for the Tories' biggest donor as he's apologised. I remember she definitely took the same line on eg Labour's Rochdale candidate, who said something less bad and apologised for it rather more than Hester has. Pathetic.

Again, the purported appeal of Bad Enoch remains lost on the multitude.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,013

nico679 said:

Let’s be political about this, the Story was a Guardian exclusive. The timing is so obvious, spike the Extremism Action about to be announced - Gove defying legal advice to use Parliamentary Privilege to name and shame and get Labour wriggling and squirming and in trouble - possibly as the rabbit out the hat before calling an election on divisive anti extremism campaign.

How long have the guardian - or Labour who slipped it to them - sat on this story in a safe?
    Not literally sitting in a safe on it, you know what I mean. It’s metaphor.
    You are clearly overthinking this. What has happened is that the fine upstanding person who heard these words was so shocked, dumbfounded and angry to the point of going mute that in all the years since they heard these words they couldn’t tell anyone about the vile man and his diatribe.

There is no way the guardian or anyone who cared about doing the right thing would have sat on this story for political reasons because that would suggest that political opportunism is more important than publicly shaming someone who said something that might be considered racist as well as an inappropriate word about shooting a politician.

That would be crazy and cynical and suggest that the politics is more important than rooting out bad apples.
  • Options
    kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Well clearly it wasn't. I seem to have forgotten how to post a picture, but it was a pint of Broadside. A proper pint.
    The lack of proper ale outside England is a genuine problem. Why don’t other countries do beer properly? That can of crap Leon is supping looks shit.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,788
    edited March 12

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

On Sunday PM I was out for a couple of hours visiting Bennerley Viaduct ("The Iron Giant !!") and auditing anti-wheelchair barriers on part of the towpath of the Erewash Canal to see why it can't be reached by everyone who has a right to do so *, with a view to getting them removed.

I ran across a big Marks and Spencer food hall in ILKESTON of all places, where BREL used to have a big base !! Less up-itself than other self-styled high end places, and some quite good value items. But dead easy to run up a £40 bill seemingly by osmosis.

* Delightful route, high quality surface at least for the several miles I walked both ways, some mobility aids unlawfully excluded for at least 3 decades by the look of it by squeeze plate barriers with about 75-80cm width gaps.

• Options
    AlsoLei said:

Many Tory MPs will be of the view that things are likely to get worse into the Autumn as the "running scared" narrative grows, and it may well be true that the best time to go for the Tory Party is now - they won't win, but may get a bit of credit for the surprise move, and limit the losses.

But Sunak doesn't face the same calculation. For him, the difference between May and November is six extra months as PM. He'll probably lose either way, and he's never going to get to be PM again. So it makes little difference how heavy his party's defeat is. Also, whilst November would probably produce a worse result, there is an outside chance of some event intervening between now and then. It's very unlikely, and any surprise could be a bad surprise just as much as it could be a good surprise. But it's more likely to happen over the course of eight months than it is over less than two.

Assumes he wants to be/cares about being PM for an extra six months.

Which is far from clear.
    This is the thing I keep wondering about.

He doesn't seem to enjoy the job. He's not interested in the business or sport of politics. He has no history in the party - no long years of activism before he became an MP. There's nothing in his past that would engender the sort of doomed-but-dogged loyalty of the John Major sort.

We all assume that he's got plans outside of parliament after the election. Indeed, there's some question about whether he ever did actually give up that green card. In a year's time, he'll be in California - and will be much happier there.

So what's keeping him in the job? What makes him want to continue on for an extra six months?

It can't even be a sense of pride in doing the right thing, or being willing to take one for the team - the team would be better served by a May election.

I simply can't understand why he would delay. And yet all the signs are that that's exactly what he's going to do!
    Partly status, partly he thinks he's doing a difficult job reasonably well in challenging circumstances He's not interested in the political game but he has this notion of being UK CEO. He does have political beliefs - very right wing ones actually - and maybe sees this as an opportunity to implement a few. He sees decisions like permanently shutting down HS2 as the hard decisions that no-one else is prepared to make rather the wrong decisions they actually are.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

On Sunday PM I was out for a couple of hours visiting Bennerley Viaduct ("The Iron Giant !!") and auditing anti-wheelchair barriers on part of the towpath of the Erewash Canal to see why it can't be reached by everyone who has a right to do so *, with a view to getting them removed.

I ran across a big Marks and Spencer food hall in ILKESTON of all places, where BREL used to have a big base !! Less up-itself than other self-styled high end places, and some quite good value items.

* Delightful route, high quality surface at least for the several miles I walked both ways, some mobility aids unlawfully excluded for at least 3 decades by the look of it by squeeze plate barriers with about 75-80cm width gaps.

I know of Ilkeston. You’d think it might come up a bit since they reopened the railway (ten minutes to central Nottingham from there). But the M&S surprises me!
  • Options
    edited March 12

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

The lack of proper ale outside England is a genuine problem. Why don’t other countries do beer properly? That can of crap Leon is supping looks shit.
    We’ve had this debate. First - the beer I’m drinking is surprisingly good if you just want a light thirst quencher in 36C heat. You don’t want Guinness, do you?

Also, you can now find excellent craft ales all around the world - and especially in the USA, which probably has the best beer on the planet. Even an average American liquor store will have a proper selection of IPAs, amber ales, good pilsners, fruit beers, stouts etc - likewise any supermarket
  • Options
    kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Yes I agree. I like Belgium beers and New England beers but they are still cold and fizzy which beer shouldn't be. Broadside in Southwold and Shere Drop anywhere around Dorking beat anything from anywhere. I'm sure others from around the UK will have their favourites. Nothing better than a proper UK real ale from a hand pump.
    It’s total bollocks. American beer is brilliant
  • Options
    Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

We’ve had this debate. First - the beer I’m drinking is surprisingly good if you just want a light thirst quencher in 36C heat. You don’t want Guinness, do you?

Also, you can now find excellent craft ales all around the world - and especially in the USA, which probably has the best beer on the planet. Even an average American liquor store will have a proper selection of IPAs, amber ales, good pilsners, fruit beers, stouts etc - likewise any supermarket
    Cask ale > craft ale.

By a mile.

Most craft is gassy over-hopped shit.

Some craft stouts are nice.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Yes I agree. I like Belgium beers and New England beers but they are still cold and fizzy which beer shouldn't be. Broadside in Southwold and Shere Drop anywhere around Dorking beat anything from anywhere. I'm sure others from around the UK will have their favourites. Nothing better than a proper UK real ale from a hand pump.
    Fizzy.
  • Options
    edited March 12

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

I ran across a big Marks and Spencer food hall in ILKESTON of all places, where BREL used to have a big base !! Less up-itself than other self-styled high end places, and some quite good value items.

I know of Ilkeston. You’d think it might come up a bit since they reopened the railway (ten minutes to central Nottingham from there). But the M&S surprises me!
    I think Nottingham and Derby are re-growing suburbs, and Rolls-Royce is a big economic base for Derby - they are getting billions over time from AUKUS projects around reactors for the submarines, including the Ozzie ones, and it's a long-term project that is unlikely to be pulled by Short-Term Rishi.

Barrow and possibly Glasgow (though I think they are mainly benefiting from frigate production, so maybe not) are also getting a boost.

Bennerley is being done by a local voluntary group; it is taking time, but they seem to be making a very good job - their paths are more wheel-chair etc friendly than for example those around RHS Bridgewater.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,666
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

Let’s be political about this, the Story was a Guardian exclusive. The timing is so obvious, spike the Extremism Action about to be announced - Gove defying legal advice to use Parliamentary Privilege to name and shame and get Labour wriggling and squirming and in trouble - possibly as the rabbit out the hat before calling an election on divisive anti extremism campaign.

How long have the guardian - or Labour who slipped it to them - sat on this story in a safe?
    I thought it would be more damaging closer to an election. But certainly you make a good point re the Gove issue. Unless the Tories hand back the donation then they just look like total hypocrites.
    Sunak walked out to the podium and a launched/patronised us with a sort of “back to basics” let’s save our politics and way of life by saying and doing the right thing, turning down the dial on division, campaign. Who would ever have guessed that would blow up in Tory faces 🤷‍♀️
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,855
    Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

But then you drink lager so your opinion is suspect
  • Options
    Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Some is. There are plenty of craft breweries in the States. Their IPAs can be way over hopped - and I'm someone who likes their beer flowery.
  • Options

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Fizzy.
    Again this is nonsense. You don’t travel much do you?

America has an astounding variety of beer now

It’s not all Bud Lite and Coors. That began to change about 30 years ago
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,134
    Off-topic:

following a debate on here the other day, here's an interesting video from 'What's up with shipping' about the US/British Gaza Pier scheme. Interesting if you're into that sort of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98_gzyt9N-Y
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

No need!

https://www.leonsfruitshop.co.uk/
    https://www.leonsfruitshop.co.uk/product/custard-apples/
    https://www.leonsfruitshop.co.uk/product/dragon-fruits-4-99-each/
    Thanks to SP's timely expose, we now know (also visa versa) that "L" has been shamelessly exploiting scurvy PB UKers (are they any other kind?) touting his own global fruitmongering, to further bloat his profits AND your innards!

Flaunting his flagrant (if not fragrant) flint-knappery in our freaking faces, just ain't effing enough?
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,073
    Apparently there are more allegations to come re Hester .

When will the spineless gimp be making a statement ?

• Options
    Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

I said I enjoyed it, but it is fizzy and it is cold. I toured several breweries when I was there. A lot of wheat beers, a lot of citrus, a lot of stout, but nothing compared to say Broadside. And really cinnamon sugar around the top of a glass of beer. Really? That isn't proper beer.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Actually my preferred beer is a craft IPA

But in a really really hot climate I will definitely have a light lager

Don’t like stout. Can’t stand Guinness. No idea why

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,874
    kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

I used to live not far from Banks's brewery and their brewery pub had their Mild on hand pump. A magnificent pint.

Despite my adopted city, I am not a fan of Everards beers, though Old Original is a good winter warmer albeit with nailed on hangover.

In the tropics a light lager is fine, if anonymous.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Stout goes well with fish, and shellfish in particular. The smokiness sets off the seafood nicely and is a classic combination with oysters.
  • Options

There are a couple of other factors to consider.

Sunak still thinks that he has a chance of winning. Some of his recent moves may seem a bit erratic, but they're predicated on that belief and that attempts to find an angle that discredits Labour and make the government look better could actually matter. A similar calculation, perhaps related to the Rwanda policy, for example, might lead to an earlier election as part of a desperate gambit to create an election campaign narrative more favourable to the Tories.

A lot of Tory MPs just aren't going to care either way. Perhaps they're ready to move on into a post-Parliamentary career, or a few more months sounding out alternatives would suit them, but I'd guess there's many of them who have made their peace with defeat, in addition to those not standing for re-election. Perhaps this would overall tend towards favouring an early election, just to get it done and move on, but I don't think they're going to be that motivated to press the case for a particular date that strongly one way or another.
    I spoke to an MP the other day who told me dozens of Tory MPs are desperate to go. Whether that affects Rishi of course is unknown.
    I would want to be 'free' asap
    Mentally totting up 6 months of better incomes Rishi is depriving them, is NOT a good reason to go early. The decision, using all the science, modelling, and consulting many wise politico’s as possible, is simply about the policy targetting in month campaign, that avoids what looks like an historic meltdown to 99-149 seats.

When seat polling predicted Lib Dem meltdown, people just refused to believe it, is the danger here. Because although polls and MRP still say it is that historic, there is an air of not believing it.
    We also had every sign of a SNP landslide coming in 2015 but both Scot Lab and the Scot Cons seem to have been convinced that it couldn't be THAT bad.
  • Options
    edited March 12
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

I said I enjoyed it, but it is fizzy and it is cold. I toured several breweries when I was there. A lot of wheat beers, a lot of citrus, a lot of stout, but nothing compared to say Broadside. And really cinnamon sugar around the top of a glass of beer. Really? That isn't proper beer.
    Fizzy & Cold ≡ NOT BEER.
  • Options

nico679 said:

Let me introduce you to politics
    Or to be more specific - incompetent politics
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,016
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Stout goes well with fish, and shellfish in particular. The smokiness sets off the seafood nicely and is a classic combination with oysters.
    Happy memories of stout and smoked salmon sandwiches in Dublin.
  • Options
    edited March 12
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

But it’s like saying France doesn’t do good wine because it doesn’t make ice-wine

In America there is an infinite variety of beer - even, yes, some English style cask ale served cellar cold

https://www.leaningcaskbrewing.com/cask

But they also have a billion varieties we don’t. eg Colorado fruit beers - some yuk some lovely. Nothing like them in the UK? Or I’ve never found them anyway

Etc
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,454
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Don't be a twat. You need a decent white wine with that stuff.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Tried it. Didn’t like it

Might just be coz I drank a fair bit of it aged 18. That always puts you off
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,806
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Happy memories of stout and smoked salmon sandwiches in Dublin.
    Guinness and crab sandwiches at Sweetings.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,016
    edited March 12
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

I ran across a big Marks and Spencer food hall in ILKESTON of all places, where BREL used to have a big base !! Less up-itself than other self-styled high end places, and some quite good value items. But dead easy to run up a £40 bill seemingly by osmosis.

Ooh, proper wrought iron too on checking, not mild steel. Think of the amount of hammering and rolling to make that lot. I've been to the Meldon Viaduct on Dartmoor but never knew about this one. Nice treat.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Yes on that we have a rare agreement

Oysters and Guinness? Ugh. That’s a recipe for vomiting

And I adore oysters
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

nico679 said:

Timing with exclusives is always difficult. The longer you wait, the greater the chance someone else, quite legitimately, also gets hold of the story, prints it, and you lose 100% of the kudos. These things matter to media and journos infinitely more than they do to the public.
    He made the remarks five years ago, interesting they come to light this week Gove goes into the commons and, against legal advice, paints a picture of the British Left and Union Movement as extremist, such as the union’s funding Labour also support and fund extremism, like solidarity with Palestine they have possibly given larger payments from union member subs to Hamas leadership, than even Netanyahu’s government siphoned off funds for the Hamas leadership. It’s at least possible timing of this news story is the British Left trying to soften the punches coming their way? 💁‍♀️

Now, if I were a Stasi Bully, I would make a list of every PBer who picks up what Gove will tell Parliament and runs with it - like the fascist on Dads Army started a little list. 😈 Gove will certainly blow up PB into life. It’s possibly the Tories key theme for an April General Election campaign, smoking out Starmer as either on the governments side against extremism, or the side of the extremists who fund his political party.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,395
    Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

A Guinness hangover is a uniquely distressing thing. That's why I gave it up. Haven't had one for many years now.

My grandma used to wash her hair in stout btw. Mackesons. You could always try that instead of drinking it. Her hair always looked ok.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,142

... It’s possibly the Tories key theme for an April General Election campaign, smoking out Starmer as either on the governments side against extremism, or the side of the extremists who fund his political party.

On the government's side against extremism?

Do they have a plan to keep the horde of swivel-eyed crazies on the Tory backbenches out of public sight during the election campaign?
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,245
    edited March 12
    A rare political betting post. I am of the understanding that the Sunak’s want to reach the 2yr mark in downing st
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

How much is coal in Newcastle.
  • Options
    My own favorite food-with-beer paring, is a classic New Orleans oyster po'boy (dressed with lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise, ketchup & tabasco to taste) washed down with an cold can of Dixie beer.

NOTE that a few year ago, this classic New Orleans lager (typical of old-school US big-city beers) changed its name to Faubourg. Wages of Woke?

Don't recall many Black people, back in the day, spurning this brew for using the D-word. But that was then.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

A Guinness hangover is a uniquely distressing thing. That's why I gave it up. Haven't had one for many years now.

My grandma used to wash her hair in stout btw. Mackesons. You could always try that instead of drinking it. Her hair always looked ok.
    Hah. Excellent anecdote

Similarly, a friend of mine had a gypsy grandfather who used fish oil from a sardine tin as a form of hair wax. Apparently it’s very good for that…. But he smelt of sardines all the time

Win some lose some
  • Options

algarkirk said:

nico679 said:

Timing with exclusives is always difficult. The longer you wait, the greater the chance someone else, quite legitimately, also gets hold of the story, prints it, and you lose 100% of the kudos. These things matter to media and journos infinitely more than they do to the public.
    He made the remarks five years ago, interesting they come to light this week Gove goes into the commons and, against legal advice, paints a picture of the British Left and Union Movement as extremist, such as the union’s funding Labour also support and fund extremism, like solidarity with Palestine they have possibly given larger payments from union member subs to Hamas leadership, than even Netanyahu’s government siphoned off funds for the Hamas leadership. It’s at least possible timing of this news story is the British Left trying to soften the punches coming their way? 💁‍♀️

Now, if I were a Stasi Bully, I would make a list of every PBer who picks up what Gove will tell Parliament and runs with it - like the fascist on Dads Army started a little list. 😈 Gove will certainly blow up PB into life. It’s possibly the Tories key theme for an April General Election campaign, smoking out Starmer as either on the governments side against extremism, or the side of the extremists who fund his political party.
    Culture war issues won't win the election, but Truss's private members bill on trans (biological males to be banned from ladies' loos (which I take to mean pre-reassignment surgery males, correct me if I'm wrong)) seems like a reasonable straw the Government should clutch. It's a very rare issue where Labour is on the wrong side of the public and the Tories are on the right side.
  • Options

My own favorite food-with-beer paring, is a classic New Orleans oyster po'boy (dressed with lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise, ketchup & tabasco to taste) washed down with an cold can of Dixie beer.

NOTE that a few year ago, this classic New Orleans lager (typical of old-school US big-city beers) changed its name to Faubourg. Wages of Woke?

Don't recall many Black people, back in the day, spurning this brew for using the D-word. But that was then.

I love the food in Nawlins. Best food in the USA - from the cheap sandwich bars to the poshest restaurants. All good, often great

And I am never happier than sitting down to oysters in the French quarter. I’ve even learned to eat them the NOLA way, on top of a saltine cracker, doused with Tabasco and lemon

Also: gumbo. Magnificent

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,454
    Guinness was also famously used to spruce up top hats.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

I always braise meat in stout, or a brown beer, it’s scientifically proven to soften the meat as well as make great jus
  • Options
    edited March 12
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

But it’s like saying France doesn’t do good wine because it doesn’t make ice-wine

In America there is an infinite variety of beer - even, yes, some English style cask ale served cellar cold

But they also have a billion varieties we don’t. eg Colorado fruit beers - some yuk some lovely. Nothing like them in the UK? Or I’ve never found them anyway

Etc
    I visited a lot of breweries there and I mean a lot. There was some interesting flavours but a lot of repetition of wheat, citrus and stout and all fizzy and cold. I got bored.

I'm drinking Adnams as I am in Southwold and have mainly had Broadside because of time of year. In the summer I would have Southwold bitter when hot. I have also tried tonight 2 other beers - Tally ho, flat as a pancake and very strong barley wine but from a hand pump. Delicious. and a new beer Balmy Days, very light, but not fizzy which might replace Southwold bitter as my summer beer.

Beer shouldn't be fizzy. It should be cool, but not freezing, unless you are in a really hot place and then it is to cool and refresh you and not for taste.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,636
    Have we done this?

I know one or two Tories were excited by this at the time but two out of the three deputies are Tories.

Exclusive:

All three Commons deputy speakers unanimously rule that no vote will be allowed on referring Keir Starmer to privileges committee over the Gaza ceasefire debate.

Tory, SNP and Plaid Cymru MPs had requested an investigation alleging the Labour leader pressured him to select the party’s amendment.

Lindsay Hoyle recused himself - with his three deputies adjudicating.

In a letter obtained by The Times, they say: “The Speaker's role requires his conversations with Members to remain confidential. All parties should be able to rely on that confidentiality. Allowing matters of privilege to be raised on the content of confidential conversations would undermine that principle.”

They say the decision was taken based on advice and precedence.

https://twitter.com/breeallegretti/status/1767577002100367616
  • Options
    The gimp has spoken at last. Nothing to see , he apologized so can we just keep the cash now and move on .

• Options
    Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

And I adore oysters
    It really is a well known combination, with several oyster and stout festivals in Ireland.

One here in the Midwest USA too:

https://explorestlouis.com/event/schlafly-stout-and-oyster-festival/2024-03-08/

• Options
    edited March 12
    Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Ooh, proper wrought iron too on checking, not mild steel. Think of the amount of hammering and rolling to make that lot. I've been to the Meldon Viaduct on Dartmoor but never knew about this one. Nice treat.
    It's 400+m long. This year they are building a Visitor Centre, a ramp access at the other end, and bits and pieces.

The area has quite the tradition - remember the Butterley Company, which only closed in 2009. One of their last projects was the Falkirk Wheel.
  • Options

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

How much is coal in Newcastle.
    Ironically, it is imported from Columbia nowadays!
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 696

algarkirk said:

nico679 said:

Culture war issues won't win the election, but Truss's private members bill on trans (biological males to be banned from ladies' loos (which I take to mean pre-reassignment surgery males, correct me if I'm wrong)) seems like a reasonable straw the Government should clutch. It's a very rare issue where Labour is on the wrong side of the public and the Tories are on the right side.
    Er, this bill: https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/58-04/0035/230035.pdf ?

It doesn't mention toilets?

Just the usual creepy obsession with children and puberty.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Etc
    I visited a lot of breweries there and I mean a lot. There was some interesting flavours but a lot of repetition of wheat, citrus and stout and all fizzy and cold. I got bored.

I'm drinking Adnams as I am in Southwold and have mainly had Broadside because of time of year. In the summer I would have Southwold bitter when hot. I have also tried tonight 2 other beers - Tally ho, flat as a pancake and very strong barley wine but from a hand pump. Delicious. and a new beer Balmy Days, very light, but not fizzy which might replace Southwold bitter as my summer beer.

Beer shouldn't be fizzy. It should be cool, but not freezing, unless you are in a really hot place and then it is to cool and refresh you and not for taste.
    But you travelled around New England didn’t you?

American beer is as vastly varied as America

And much of the most interesting beer is out west. Colorado, California and Oregon etc

I’m as chauvinistic and patriotic as the next Englishman. Britain boasts some excellent and unique beer (and plenty of rubbish) and a noble brewing tradition. It’s in the top 10 of great beer countries

But for sheer variety and innovation the Americans have us beat, indeed they beat everyone. Even the Czechs

• Options
    edited March 12
    Chris said:

... It’s possibly the Tories key theme for an April General Election campaign, smoking out Starmer as either on the governments side against extremism, or the side of the extremists who fund his political party.

Do they have a plan to keep the horde of swivel-eyed crazies on the Tory backbenches out of public sight during the election campaign?
    Hey. It’s not my master plan. I’m not defending the master plan. It’s just that, it really seems to be their plan, otherwise why would Sunak launch it from the D Street lectern for the big exposure and Gove about to raise it to a whole new controversial divisive level?

It’s like in Galaxy Quest, whenever the table was empty of a plan, whatever plan they could come up with was “we’ll do that.”

It’s a special moment in British politics - an “anti division” campaign, invented and used to flag up/push divisions that can be politically exploited. The people employed by the party to help with the election are certainly earning every penny.
  • Options

Should add (thus I am) that personally the only way I'd recommend consuming (old) Dixie or "new" Faubourg beer, is either A. with an oyster po/boy as mentioned; or B. by pouring the rat-piss ice-cold over my feet during a Louisiana heat wave.
  • Options
    AlsoLei said:

algarkirk said:

nico679 said:

Er, this bill: https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/bills/cbill/58-04/0035/230035.pdf ?

My understanding is that the tightening up of the definition of sex to mean biological sex gives the necessary legal framework to restrict access to womens' spaces to biological males (and vice versa I guess).
  • Options
    Totally agree.

The Duchess of Sussex would “never” make a photograph editing mistake like the Princess of Wales, sources close to Meghan have claimed.

They also alleged that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex would have been “annihilated” by the press if they had released a doctored family portrait.

“This isn’t a mistake Meghan would ever make,” a source told the New York Post’s Page Six column. “She has a keen eye and freakish attention to detail.”

It came after the Princess apologised for editing a photograph of herself and her children that had been released to mark Mother’s Day.

The image was taken by the Prince of Wales during a 40-minute window last Friday, at the family’s home in Windsor.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2024/03/12/meghan-never-make-photo-editing-mistake-princess-wales/
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Fizzy.
    Again this is nonsense. You don’t travel much do you?

America has an astounding variety of beer now

It’s not all Bud Lite and Coors. That began to change about 30 years ago
    That's true.
    I stopped drinking beer sometime in the 90s and there was already excellent beer in the Bay Area.
    Irrelevant to me now, though.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

And I adore oysters
    It really is a well known combination, with several oyster and stout festivals in Ireland.

That may well be so, but I am with @TOPPING here

Cold dry white wine with oysters (not champagne) - nothing else. Probably Alvarinho

Stout is a ridiculous idea from people who don’t have any wine

• Options
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

It's 400+m long. This year they are building a Visitor Centre, a ramp access at the other end, and bits and pieces.

The area has quite the tradition - remember the Butterley Company, which only closed in 2009. One of their last projects was the Falkirk Wheel.
    They were only 10 miles away.

Also the former Stanton Works & Staveley Ironworks which were also close by.

I think from a heritage point of view it is all viewed locally as an extension the World Heritage site for Derwent Valley MIlls. That's big in Derbyshire, and for example a walking / cycling route is being developed along the length of the Derwent.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

And I adore oysters

Cold dry white wine with oysters (not champagne) - nothing else. Probably Alvarinho

Stout is amazing with fruit cake, a mature cheese and apple.
  • Options

Have we done this?

I know one or two Tories were excited by this at the time but two out of the three deputies are Tories.

Exclusive:

All three Commons deputy speakers unanimously rule that no vote will be allowed on referring Keir Starmer to privileges committee over the Gaza ceasefire debate.

Tory, SNP and Plaid Cymru MPs had requested an investigation alleging the Labour leader pressured him to select the party’s amendment.

In a letter obtained by The Times, they say: “The Speaker's role requires his conversations with Members to remain confidential. All parties should be able to rely on that confidentiality. Allowing matters of privilege to be raised on the content of confidential conversations would undermine that principle.”

Does Starmer no favours, and gives ScotNats, of both parties, what they wanted.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,607

Chris said:

Hey. It’s not my master plan. I’m not defending the master plan. It’s just that, it really seems to be their plan, otherwise why would Sunak launch it from the D Street lectern for the big exposure and Gove about to raise it to a whole new controversial divisive level?

It’s like in Galaxy Quest, whenever the table was empty of a plan, whatever plan they could come up with was “we’ll do that.”

It’s a special moment in British politics - an “anti division” campaign, invented and used to flag up/push divisions that can be politically exploited. The people employed by the party to help with the election are certainly earning every penny.
    Or alternatively, there isn't a plan, and Team Rishi are throwing random stuff at the wall in the hope that something, anything, sticks. A theory which is at least as consistent with the observations.

There is no secret door behind which the poltical ninjas are kept. Just a group of people making a living by dressing up as ninjas.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Etc

And much of the most interesting beer is out west. Colorado, California and Oregon etc

I’m as chauvinistic and patriotic as the next Englishman. Britain boasts some excellent and unique beer (and plenty of rubbish) and a noble brewing tradition. It’s in the top 10 of great beer countries

But for sheer variety and innovation the Americans have us beat, indeed they beat everyone. Even the Czechs

I will test that in May when I visit California, Nevada and Colorado. I hope you are proved right and hope I am proved wrong.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,013

Totally agree.

The Duchess of Sussex would “never” make a photograph editing mistake like the Princess of Wales, sources close to Meghan have claimed.

They also alleged that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex would have been “annihilated” by the press if they had released a doctored family portrait.

“This isn’t a mistake Meghan would ever make,” a source told the New York Post’s Page Six column. “She has a keen eye and freakish attention to detail.”

It came after the Princess apologised for editing a photograph of herself and her children that had been released to mark Mother’s Day.

The image was taken by the Prince of Wales during a 40-minute window last Friday, at the family’s home in Windsor.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2024/03/12/meghan-never-make-photo-editing-mistake-princess-wales/

Editing a photo is amateur hour compared to making up a high speed car chase through New York though.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

And I adore oysters

Stout is amazing with fruit cake, a mature cheese and apple.
    That certainly sounds better than stout and oysters
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,134
    MattW said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

I think from a heritage point of view it is all viewed locally as an extension the World Heritage site for Derwent Valley MIlls. That's big in Derbyshire, and for example a walking / cycling route is being developed along the length of the Derwent.
    I have a great fondness for the old Butterley works.

A story: when I was younger, my dad sent me to get a load of wet (unfired) bricks from Butterley brickworks. I couldn't find the blooming place!

(Unfired bricks are a really useful thing for certain arcane purposes.)
  • Options

Chris said:

Or alternatively, there isn't a plan, and Team Rishi are throwing random stuff at the wall in the hope that something, anything, sticks. A theory which is at least as consistent with the observations.

There is no secret door behind which the poltical ninjas are kept. Just a group of people making a living by dressing up as ninjas.
    You mean, like the Wizard of Oz? 😀

I ought to quit there for the day, I can’t top that one.
  • Options

Have we done this?

Exclusive:

The Tories were desperate to deflect attention away from their problems so they’ll be livid that the deputy speakers didn’t play ball . All in all it’s been a good day for Starmer .
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,903
    Evening all :)

Probably a deal of posturing but hard to see how a new Government will be formed in Portugal any time soon. The immediate aftermath has exposed some tensions within the Democratic Alliance (AD) over how to deal with the rise of Chega. The PPM (Monarchist) leader has said he can work with Chega but other Social Democrats have ruled that out while Chega leader Andre Ventura has said he won't pass an AD budget if he isn't involved in its creation.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,607

AlsoLei said:

algarkirk said:

nico679 said:

My understanding is that the tightening up of the definition of sex to mean biological sex gives the necessary legal framework to restrict access to womens' spaces to biological males (and vice versa I guess).
    As a private members bill, it only really takes a couple of opponents to stop it happening. (Is it Chris Chope who makes a sport of doing that?)

File under "likely to sink without trace".
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Have we done this?

Exclusive:

The Tories were desperate to deflect attention away from their problems so they’ll be livid that the deputy speakers didn’t play ball . All in all it’s been a good day for Starmer .
    Two different opinions for the punters 😀
  • Options
    boulay said:

Totally agree.

Editing a photo is amateur hour compared to making up a high speed car chase through New York though.
    The Duchess of Sussex is an actress.

The Princess of Wales will be a Queen.

:smile:
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,189
    Yes, I expect the general election to be in October rather than May
  • Options

Totally agree.

No, she would get an aide to spend 10 hours editing it to get the right look instead!
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Etc

I will test that in May when I visit California, Nevada and Colorado. I hope you are proved right and hope I am proved wrong.
    You may even find English style real ale. Its far from ubiquitous - but it exists

Denver has a great bar culture (the beat poets all drank there and you can still visit their pubs). Indeed I think the very first building in Denver was a tavern

The city only exists as a staging post to the west. There’s no strategic river crossing or anything. Someone just built a tavern and the city grew around that. Lots of good time girls came flocking

Sadly the downtown was still fucked by Covid when I was there. Deserted. Great shame as it’s one of the few western US cities with many blocks of preserved Victorian/1900s buildings

Hopefully it has revived and you will see it in a better state than I did
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Totally agree.

No, she would get an aide to spend 10 hours editing it to get the right look instead!
    Please show all due deference to the Duchess of Sussex.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Totally agree.

Please show all due deference to the Duchess of Sussex.
    That she is not an HRH in official terms now and below the pecking order behind HRH the Princess of Wales yes.

Plus 'Despite this, the Sussexes found themselves embroiled in their own picture controversy over a black and white image used for their 2019 Christmas card:

The image, sent to friends and colleagues from Canada, showed the Duke and Duchess in the background as their then seven-month-old son Archie crawled towards the camera.

There were claims at the time that the image appeared to have been edited, with Meghan’s face clearer than her husband’s. One newspaper even suggested her head had been “later added onto her body”.

The photograph was taken by actress Janina Gavankar, a friend of Meghan’s, who dismissed the “malicious” criticism as part of a media campaign.'

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-family/2024/03/12/meghan-never-make-photo-editing-mistake-princess-wales/#comment
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Hah. Excellent anecdote

Similarly, a friend of mine had a gypsy grandfather who used fish oil from a sardine tin as a form of hair wax. Apparently it’s very good for that…. But he smelt of sardines all the time

Win some lose some
    My grandfather used olive oil.
    Kept his hair until his death at 95.
  • Options

MattW said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

MattW said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

I have a great fondness for the old Butterley works.

A story: when I was younger, my dad sent me to get a load of wet (unfired) bricks from Butterley brickworks. I couldn't find the blooming place!

(Unfired bricks are a really useful thing for certain arcane purposes.)
    Looking at the wiki list, there are a lot of iron bridges and viaducts, and a couple of aquaducts.

I love that there is one called the Crumblin' Viaduct (Ok: Crumlin).

Not very many in Scotland afaics. Have they all been made into Irn Bru?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_railway_bridges_and_viaducts_in_the_United_Kingdom
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_canal_aqueducts_in_the_United_Kingdom

They all need to be made into walking, wheeling and cycling routes. Obviously.
  • Options
    boulay said:

Totally agree.

Failed cosmetic surgery?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,176

Totally agree.

That's a tacit admission that Meghan is absoltely obsessed with her image and managing the press.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Etc

You may even find English style real ale. Its far from ubiquitous - but it exists

Denver has a great bar culture (the beat poets all drank there and you can still visit their pubs). Indeed I think the very first building in Denver was a tavern

The city only exists as a staging post to the west. There’s no strategic river crossing or anything. Someone just built a tavern and the city grew around that. Lots of good time girls came flocking

Sadly the downtown was still fucked by Covid when I was there. Deserted. Great shame as it’s one of the few western US cities with many blocks of preserved Victorian/1900s buildings

Hopefully it has revived and you will see it in a better state than I did
    I worked near Denver for three months in 2011. Used to walk along 16th Street a LOT!
  • Options
    edited March 12

Totally agree.

Releasing modified photos Is neither here nor there, it's the mystery around her illness and disappearance that makes for the current interest*. When Louis was photoshopped into the picture of QEII with her great grandchildren it wasn't a scandal.

*particularly when the released photo seems to show a woman looking in radient good health in tight jeans after abdo surgery.
This discussion has been closed.