Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

We need more bureaucracy – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    SkiddawSkiddaw Posts: 19
    SWISSINTERNATIONAL update on vaccine harm awareness.

What started as a murmur of concern many months ago is now reaching a fever pitch of concern.

It is quite fascinating to note that the public distrust of conventional media is now reflected in this alpine community of significant and broad opinion formers.

May we thank all those who have made possible the communication of truths that saves lives.

The reality of the international banking and business communities has changed now they find themselves personally effected by the crimes that have been perpetuated. They are not happy about it and recognise the betrayal. They are now starting to act.

@elonmusk

@Najadi4Justice

@RWMaloneMD

https://x.com/JohnMappin/status/1765783430233538867?s=20
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,380
    Skiddaw said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

I don't believe in guilt by association, but Jeez..

Man of the people, totally normal person
    @RobertKennedyJr after being asked about flying on JEFFREY EPSTEIN'S plane:

"So and I run into everybody in New York. I mean, I knew Harvey Weinstein, I knew Roger Ailes, I knew -- O.J. Simpson came to my house. Bill Cosby came to my house.”

https://twitter.com/Lis_Smith/status/1765564202851139851

"Ghislaine was always wonderful to me."

No doubt.

Addendum - Am starting to think, that RFKjr is gonna underperform Kanye West. Certainly appears less qualified.
    He's also a leading anti-vaxx scammer, who causes serious damage to public health, while making a very good living off it.

Lower than a snake's belly.
    Interesting view. The problem with this is huge numbers of people now know theres a problem with the covid vaccine. Even my dad said how many dementia care homes are going up and linked the explosion in dementia cases to the covid jab . There are also people on this board like malcolmg now open about their problems with the covid jab. Leon also linked to something yesterday about how they are covering up myocarditis cases.
    What a debut, a little derivative perhaps, but right to the soon to be banned nub.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,893
    sarissa said:

There are serious issues around the use of AI decision-making potentially leading to discrimination in breach of The Equality Act 2010 and similar legislation. The track record of government departments in not appreciating the knock-on effects until a major scandal erupts is a major concern.

I wouldn't worry about, if they implement it badly, they will just hide it away from us for a decade, and then spend another decade avoiding an inquiry before finally holding the inquiry and then failing to implement the recommendations. By then the AI will have taken over regardless.
  • Options
    This is what anti vaxer leon posted yesterday.

Simple logic 101…if the results were favorable to the vaccine it would be blasted everywhere. Instead it’s hidden. Obviously it’s not favorable and so bad every page was redacted.

This is pure unadulterated farce.

“Safe & Effective”…the greatest lie ever told.

https://x.com/DowdEdward/status/1765870346471977003?s=20
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,530
    Skiddaw said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

"So and I run into everybody in New York. I mean, I knew Harvey Weinstein, I knew Roger Ailes, I knew -- O.J. Simpson came to my house. Bill Cosby came to my house.”

No doubt.

Addendum - Am starting to think, that RFKjr is gonna underperform Kanye West. Certainly appears less qualified.
    He's also a leading anti-vaxx scammer, who causes serious damage to public health, while making a very good living off it.

Interesting view. The problem with this is huge numbers of people now know theres a problem with the covid vaccine. Even my dad said how many dementia care homes are going up and linked the explosion in dementia cases to the covid jab . There are also people on this board like malcolmg now open about their problems with the covid jab. Leon also linked to something yesterday about how they are covering up myocarditis cases.
    Antivax in the first post :open_mouth: Do they teach you nothing?

In fairness, the Covid jab could be linked to increased dementia, by keeping more people alive long enough to develop it :wink:
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,142

kinabalu said:

mwadams said:

kjh said:

Roger said:

@SandyRentool was asking yesterday about the latest Jeremy Hunt newsreader slip. Social media has done its job and here it is:-
    https://twitter.com/i/status/1765734561407737974

An easy mistake to make
    His parents did their best calling him Jeremy. They might as well have called him Eric and be done with it.
    Mike or Isaac would be worse still.
    I'm sure some parents wouldn't work it out when naming their child. I knew both a Richard Head and a Richard Whittington. The first might not have been a thing when they named their child (I have no idea), but the second definitely was.
    Neville Neville (Gary and Phil's dad) always baffles me.

What would you name your son Neville when his surname is Neville?

It is akin to Sir Keith Joseph naming his son Joseph (which he didn't); or Diane James xMEP naming her son James.
    You've lived a good life, enjoyed all the many benefits of the Neville name, why not super charge that for your kid?
    Jimmy James seems quite prevalent. ETA: as a stage name
    There was that quintessential figure of 1970s asset stripping capitalism, Roland "Tiny" Rowland. The double name added to his shady allure.
    Johnnie Johnson (with spelling variations) not uncommon, including 2 distinguished RAF pilots and my art school tutor.

Stanley missed a trick in naming BJ, denying us the chance to coin Should Have Used A Johny Johnson.

Edit: actually I read that neither of the fly boys was actually christened John, 'Johnny' was just the nickname for anyone named Johnson.
    My name is Yon Yonson, I come from Wisconsin, I work in a lumber mill there...
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,713

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Also, Corbyn acted as a cover, you see the Tories doing badly now but they've been doing virtually identical things even when Johnson was in charge. They just hated Corbyn more.

2019 will come to be seen as an outlier. If you look at it in those terms, 2010, 2015, 2017 look far more logical of a measure of how popular the Tories actually are.

Will the 2019 General Election have the same historical context for the Conservatives as the 1906 one had for the Liberals...?
    No, not unless Reform overtake the Tories as the main party of the right as Labour overtook the Liberals as the Conservatives main opposition back then
    What if the LDs became the official opposition (Not my view and unlikely but possible if the Tories really collapse). With the loss of exposure and funding and a much higher profile LD presence the Tories could get replaced that way. It would be odd that Labour replaced the Liberals if the LDs then replaced the Tories.
    They won't certainly not on vote share at most it would be a temporary second on seats like today's PP poll which has Reform just 5% behind the Tories on vote share splitting the right. However from that either Reform overtake the Tories as the main party on the right, the Tories see them off or the Tories and Reform merge so either way the LDs are not longer term going to be main opposition to Labour on their current 10 to 11%
    Well as I said I don't expect it to happen. I have posted here several times recently that with them on circ 10% I don't expect them to win a huge number of Tory seats just the obvious targets, BUT we are talking hypotheticals AND if by a freak the LDs do become the official opposition their poll rating will rocket and the Tories will slump further. Then we have 4 - 5 years of them being in opposition and getting a high profile for a change and the Tories in fighting.

Under those circumstances I would expect them to replace the Tories.

If they do become the official opposition you can't expect their poll rating to stay at 10%. It just won't.
    Long term we will not have a situation where both main parties are ostensibly on the centre to centre-left. This was something oft predicted after 1997, and then, like now, it doesn’t make sense.

There could be a freak anomaly after the next GE, if it really is a Tory catastrophe, but that won’t hold forever. The right will be back in some guise.
    In reply to both you and @hyufd's post if (and I accept this is an unlikely hypothetical) it were to happen I would expect a LD opposition not to be on the left of a Labour government generally but a pragmatic opposition. I think we could see an Orange Book type opposition.

And specifically for @HYUFD re current poll ratings as I said before these are meaningless if such a radical change happened as it would be such a significant change. People aren't that political. If the LDs were in opposition and behaved properly and the Tories were now a rump with infighting the LD rating would soar. It is a bit like the days of old where they got 30% poll ratings, but when it came to the crunch people didn't vote for them because they didn't believe they could win. That scenario I think would return after such a GE.

If the Tories get their act together after such an event and if the LDs screw it up it may not last, but really predicting poll rating on current ratings with such a radical change is just madness in my view. People like winners.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,460
    Skiddaw said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No doubt.

Oh dear.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kjh said:

Roger said:

@SandyRentool was asking yesterday about the latest Jeremy Hunt newsreader slip. Social media has done its job and here it is:-

An easy mistake to make
    His parents did their best calling him Jeremy. They might as well have called him Eric and be done with it.
    I'm sure some parents wouldn't work it out when naming their child. I knew both a Richard Head and a Richard Whittington. The first might not have been a thing when they named their child (I have no idea), but the second definitely was.

It is akin to Sir Keith Joseph naming his son Joseph (which he didn't); or Diane James xMEP naming her son James.
    I picture him as a small child coming back from playing in the muddy garden. Mother not too pleased.

"Neville Neville, your face is a mess!"
    Apparently they've also torn their dress, although the question of how could they know is not addressed.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,192
    Skiddaw said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No doubt.

"huge numbers of people now know theres a problem with the covid vaccine. "

They do not 'know' this. People read a load of alarmist sh*t, spread by idiots on websites, and believe it for whatever reason. They do not go deep into the data to see if there is actually any truth in the claims, because they requires knowledge and intelligence.
  • Options
    British MP Philip Davies: "Young and previously healthy people are dying at home from cardiac-related events, and we do not know why... We do not know if [Covid vaccination] is the cause or not, because the data is not being released. Until certain data sets are released, it is impossible to rule that theory in or out."

"We understand that the MHRA (the UK's equivalent of the US FDA) has collected and already shared this data with pharmaceutical companies, to enable those companies to produce post-authorisation safety studies for their products, so I see no reason why it cannot also be shared with parliamentarians and the public right away."

"I hope that the Minister will provide some reassurance that the data will be forthcoming as soon as possible, and that the Government do not give the impression that there is something to hide.

https://x.com/CartlandDavid/status/1763562732199006434?s=20
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,055
    sarissa said:

There are serious issues around the use of AI decision-making potentially leading to discrimination in breach of The Equality Act 2010 and similar legislation. The track record of government departments in not appreciating the knock-on effects until a major scandal erupts is a major concern.

Albania to speed up EU accession using ChatGPT
    https://www.euractiv.com/section/politics/news/albania-to-speed-up-eu-accession-using-chatgpt/
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,750

sarissa said:

Yes, 'AI' has an alarming track record of just perpetuating in-built biases from the datasets that it uses. And attempts to remove this can also lead to issues.
    Ever since the days of Expert System (remember them?)....

• Options

Skiddaw said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No doubt.

They do not 'know' this. People read a load of alarmist sh*t, spread by idiots on websites, and believe it for whatever reason. They do not go deep into the data to see if there is actually any truth in the claims, because they requires knowledge and intelligence.
    Well i defer to your intelligence. Millions seeing their relatives suffering must be imagining it.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

kjh said:

Roger said:

An easy mistake to make

I picture him as a small child coming back from playing in the muddy garden. Mother not too pleased.

Yes, but "Hot tramp, I love you so!" is somewhat less appropriate.
    Yes I wasn't going there. Or indeed with "torn your dress" and risk opening up the You Know What debate.
  • Options
    Talking of which, thanks @Leon for the additional post yesterday re the redacted 'CDC document'. All I can glean from that is that it was some response to a FOI request - without having any idea of the request or the document (or indeed whether it is a CDC response at all) it's hard to judge.

Here, if we can't release anything useful then we just refuse (and I've done that a few times - where people have asked for information at identifying level for study participants for example) but maybe the American way is to release a fully redacted document instead.

As posted by others, the CDC do have plenty of documents on this on their website and there are plenty of other studies too.
  • Options

Skiddaw said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No doubt.

+1
  • Options
    They are terrified of where this goes from here.

Don't be so sure that anyone has control of the narrative...

The appearance of free fall, maybe because it is free fall.

The greatest crime in humanity has been committed, karma won't hold back forever.

https://x.com/wolsned/status/1763338680448717084?s=20
  • Options
    Skiddaw said:

Skiddaw said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No doubt.

Well i defer to your intelligence. Millions seeing their relatives suffering must be imagining it.
    1) A place crashes on the Ukraine/Republic of China border. Which side do you bury the survivors?
    2) Anecdotes defer to hard data - in this case the Yellow Card system.
  • Options
    Skiddaw said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No doubt.

You Fell for that ?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,849
    edited March 8
    kinabalu said:

kjh said:

Roger said:

An easy mistake to make

James James Morrison Morrison Wetherby George Dupree?
  • Options
    This is dr aseem malhotra on the pandemic of the vaccine injured.

https://x.com/Nohj_85/status/1763204469104234609?s=20
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,849

Skiddaw said:

Skiddaw said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No doubt.

1) A place crashes on the Ukraine/Republic of China border. Which side do you bury the survivors?
    Colin?
  • Options

Skiddaw said:

Skiddaw said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No doubt.

Well i defer to your intelligence too. Someone who was totally wrong about the ukraine war.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,211
    kjh said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Also, Corbyn acted as a cover, you see the Tories doing badly now but they've been doing virtually identical things even when Johnson was in charge. They just hated Corbyn more.

2019 will come to be seen as an outlier. If you look at it in those terms, 2010, 2015, 2017 look far more logical of a measure of how popular the Tories actually are.

Will the 2019 General Election have the same historical context for the Conservatives as the 1906 one had for the Liberals...?
    No, not unless Reform overtake the Tories as the main party of the right as Labour overtook the Liberals as the Conservatives main opposition back then
    What if the LDs became the official opposition (Not my view and unlikely but possible if the Tories really collapse). With the loss of exposure and funding and a much higher profile LD presence the Tories could get replaced that way. It would be odd that Labour replaced the Liberals if the LDs then replaced the Tories.
    They won't certainly not on vote share at most it would be a temporary second on seats like today's PP poll which has Reform just 5% behind the Tories on vote share splitting the right. However from that either Reform overtake the Tories as the main party on the right, the Tories see them off or the Tories and Reform merge so either way the LDs are not longer term going to be main opposition to Labour on their current 10 to 11%
    Well as I said I don't expect it to happen. I have posted here several times recently that with them on circ 10% I don't expect them to win a huge number of Tory seats just the obvious targets, BUT we are talking hypotheticals AND if by a freak the LDs do become the official opposition their poll rating will rocket and the Tories will slump further. Then we have 4 - 5 years of them being in opposition and getting a high profile for a change and the Tories in fighting.

Under those circumstances I would expect them to replace the Tories.

If they do become the official opposition you can't expect their poll rating to stay at 10%. It just won't.
    Long term we will not have a situation where both main parties are ostensibly on the centre to centre-left. This was something oft predicted after 1997, and then, like now, it doesn’t make sense.

There could be a freak anomaly after the next GE, if it really is a Tory catastrophe, but that won’t hold forever. The right will be back in some guise.
    In reply to both you and @hyufd's post if (and I accept this is an unlikely hypothetical) it were to happen I would expect a LD opposition not to be on the left of a Labour government generally but a pragmatic opposition. I think we could see an Orange Book type opposition.

And specifically for @HYUFD re current poll ratings as I said before these are meaningless if such a radical change happened as it would be such a significant change. People aren't that political. If the LDs were in opposition and behaved properly and the Tories were now a rump with infighting the LD rating would soar. It is a bit like the days of old where they got 30% poll ratings, but when it came to the crunch people didn't vote for them because they didn't believe they could win. That scenario I think would return after such a GE.

If the Tories get their act together after such an event and if the LDs screw it up it may not last, but really predicting poll rating on current ratings with such a radical change is just madness in my view. People like winners.
    Even in such a scenario the LDs would still be behind the Tories and Reform on votes even if ahead on seats. Reform would likely take over the Tories reuniting the right Canada style in one party if we kept FPTP or they would form a coalition with PR like the centre right and populist right in NZ, Italy and Sweden and Spain. Farage would end up ultimately Leader of the Opposition not Davey
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,450
    kinabalu said:

Skiddaw said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No doubt.

Oh dear.
    Good morning

Is it Saturday?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

mwadams said:

kjh said:

Roger said:

An easy mistake to make

You've lived a good life, enjoyed all the many benefits of the Neville name, why not super charge that for your kid?
    There was that quintessential figure of 1970s asset stripping capitalism, Roland "Tiny" Rowland. The double name added to his shady allure.
    Johnnie Johnson (with spelling variations) not uncommon, including 2 distinguished RAF pilots and my art school tutor.

Stanley missed a trick in naming BJ, denying us the chance to coin Should Have Used A Johnny Johnson.

Edit: actually I read that neither of the fly boys was actually christened John, 'Johnny' was just the nickname for anyone named Johnson.
    Johnny Johnson, I quite like that.

Then there was the ultimate (although fictional) example of Major Major Major Major in Catch22.
  • Options

Skiddaw said:

Skiddaw said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No doubt.

The biggest negative side effect of the vaccines is the millions of conspiracy theorists it has produced!
    Or the millions of realists it has produced. The vaccine was rushed through way too quick.
  • Options
    Skiddaw said:

Skiddaw said:

Skiddaw said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No doubt.

Well i defer to your intelligence too. Someone who was totally wrong about the ukraine war.
    Day 744 of Putin's 3 day war and Ukraine is still there.
  • Options
    AlsoLeiAlsoLei Posts: 716

Regarding government IT projects, rather than trying to build Skynet we should stick to specifying data interchange formats between different systems and let a thousand flowers bloom.

We also need to separate development from support. One reason the same handful of firms win all the projects is that only they have the capacity to support a userbase of tens of thousands, whereas most successful software was originally developed by small teams.

On your second point, that is happening to some extent - I've worked on a number of public sector software projects as part of the sort of small team that you describe. The only problem is that immediately after delivery, the software gets handed over to AtoS or Capita for maintenance and support... and they inevitably run it into the ground.

Ideally, that support capability would be provided in-house within the Civil Service, but it seems to be impossible to make that happen. GDS got fairly close, but they seem to have lost most of their momentum over the past 4-5 years.
  • Options
    Like i said i think leon on this board is now antivax. Malcolmg also. I hope robert changes his views too.
  • Options
    edited March 8
    Dura_Ace said:
    It's also an object lesson in how little most politicians understand about their own place of work and its rules and procedures.
  • Options

Skiddaw said:

Skiddaw said:

Skiddaw said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No doubt.

And in a mess and nearly defeated after losing tens of thousands of men.
  • Options
    Skiddaw said:

Skiddaw said:

Skiddaw said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No doubt.

The biggest negative side effect of the vaccines is the millions of conspiracy theorists it has produced!
    Or the millions of realists it has produced. The vaccine was rushed through way too quick.
    The action of a realist is not to repeatedly open accounts on an obscure website trying in vain to convince us about the perils of vaccines...............and then using malcolmg and leon as examples of the voice of reason we should listen to......
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,037
    edited March 8
    The vaccine made me feel worse than I’ve ever felt in my life by a factor of at least fifty. It killed a friend of a friends wife almost immediately. My Dad has had untold jabs and has had shingles for nearly two years now, along with quite a few elderly people we know who are repeat jabbers. There are definitely some side effects; the AZ jab isn’t considered good enough for the UK anymore is it?

I don’t think I would have had a jab at all had my girlfriend not been pregnant in summer 2021, and we were being told, falsely as it turned out, that my being vaccinated would mean I couldn’t pass covid on to her should I catch it. Obviously the fear that our unborn baby might be harmed should I not be jabbed won out
  • Options

Skiddaw said:

Skiddaw said:

Skiddaw said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No doubt.

The action of a realist is not to repeatedly open accounts on an obscure website trying in vain to convince us about the perils of vaccines...............and then using malcolmg and leon as examples of the voice of reason we should listen to......
    Oh i dont expect to suddenly change your mind. Just asking questions.
  • Options
    edited March 8
    AlsoLei said:

Regarding government IT projects, rather than trying to build Skynet we should stick to specifying data interchange formats between different systems and let a thousand flowers bloom.

We also need to separate development from support. One reason the same handful of firms win all the projects is that only they have the capacity to support a userbase of tens of thousands, whereas most successful software was originally developed by small teams.

On your second point, that is happening to some extent - I've worked on a number of public sector software projects as part of the sort of small team that you describe. The only problem is that immediately after delivery, the software gets handed over to AtoS or Capita for maintenance and support... and they inevitably run it into the ground.

Ideally, that support capability would be provided in-house within the Civil Service, but it seems to be impossible to make that happen. GDS got fairly close, but they seem to have lost most of their momentum over the past 4-5 years.
    There are the following kinds of software

1) Actively developed
    2) Dead

(there are a tiny number of tools that haven't been changed in decades, but that's pretty much irrelevant for this.

The belief that you develop a bespoke application like buying a truck, run it until it falls apart, then buy a new one, is part of the problem.

You need an in-house function (an internal consultancy is often a good model) that includes on going support of the applications. What you do every damn day is "core business".
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,064

kinabalu said:

Skiddaw said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No doubt.

Oh dear.
    Good morning

Is it Saturday?
    Just about, somehwere in the middle of the Pacific?
  • Options
    Yes it seems we have isam too. Well done mate.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,192
    Skiddaw said:

Skiddaw said:

Skiddaw said:

Skiddaw said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No doubt.

And in a mess and nearly defeated after losing tens of thousands of men.
    Nowhere near 'nearly defeated'.

And as for the number of men being killed: if you don't want them to be killed, tell Putin to get his fascist army out of Ukraine. Because if he 'wins', there'll be many more Ukrainian deaths.

Some people seem to be saying to Ukraine: "Just sit back and take the punishment beating. You're not a 'real' country anyway..."
  • Options
    Skiddaw said:

Skiddaw said:

Skiddaw said:

Skiddaw said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No doubt.

Oh i dont expect to suddenly change your mind. Just asking questions.
    Why bother when you have no interest in the answers?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Skiddaw said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No doubt.

Oh dear.
    Good morning

Is it Saturday?
    I hope you are well mate.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,189
    MattW said:

kinabalu said:

kjh said:

Roger said:

An easy mistake to make

James James Morrison Morrison Wetherby George Dupree?
    Took great care of his mother, though he was only three.
  • Options

Skiddaw said:

Skiddaw said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No doubt.

You keep asking this question (1) but it seems simple enough to me: :wink:
    China.
    Reasoning: China would have no problem burying the survivors if they had inconvenient stories to tell. Ukraine would, I think, have judicial opposition to such a move.

(I do applaud your forward-thinking recognition of 'Russia' as really just being part of Ukraine and there, therefore, actually being a Ukraine-China border)
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,803

IanB2 said:

This jumping course is getting a lot disqualified this morning; just Bliss from Diss who finishes with five faults so far.

Sounds like a ruff day. I might be barking up the wrong tree but suggest the competitors need a bit more pawsitivity.
    The could do with some Pal or Chum.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Skiddaw said:

Skiddaw said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No doubt.

China.
    Reasoning: China would have no problem burying the survivors if they had inconvenient stories to tell. Ukraine would, I think, have judicial opposition to such a move.

(I do applaud your forward-thinking recognition of 'Russia' as really just being part of Ukraine and there, therefore, actually being a Ukraine-China border)
    Ill have to answer that question one day.
  • Options
    Skiddaw said:

Skiddaw said:

Skiddaw said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No doubt.

Get your posts in quick, because once our friendly Californian moderator turns up, I fear you will be hastily removed to the cooler, along with all the rest of them.
  • Options
    Theres this.

Former Tottenham star Gareth Bale installs defibrillator at home after recent cardiac arrest scares - http://football.london

https://x.com/CartlandDavid/status/1763302284757229580?s=20
  • Options

Skiddaw said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No doubt.

What a debut, a little derivative perhaps, but right to the soon to be banned nub.
    Didn't invest the slow patient years necessary to build up his 'legend'.

Le Carre would be less than impressed.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,450
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Skiddaw said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No doubt.

Oh dear.
    Good morning

Is it Saturday?
    Just about, somehwere in the middle of the Pacific?
    My daughter in law is a British Columbia (BC) tourist expert for the government and was on a business trip to Australia when I had my 80th birthday on the 29th February, and she wished me a happy 80th birthday from Aus before my wife, family and friends and even I had realised the date had changed somewhere in the world !!!!
  • Options
    edited March 8
    The Russian troll is boring; can we get rid of him please ?

To elevate the conversation, here's an interesting paper on the genetics of domestication. The finding of heritable and widespread changes in gene expression, which seem to be able to occur over a single generation, is quite the surprise.
    The suggested explanation is also surprisingly simple.

A single generation of domestication heritably alters the expression of hundreds of genes
    https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms10676#Sec7
    The genetic underpinnings associated with the earliest stages of plant and animal domestication have remained elusive. Because a genome-wide response to selection can take many generations, the earliest detectable changes associated with domestication may first manifest as heritable changes to global patterns of gene expression. Here, to test this hypothesis, we measured differential gene expression in the offspring of wild and first-generation hatchery steelhead trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) reared in a common environment. Remarkably, we find that there were 723 genes differentially expressed between the two groups of offspring. Reciprocal crosses reveal that the differentially expressed genes could not be explained by maternal effects or by chance differences in the background levels of gene expression among unrelated families. Gene-enrichment analyses reveal that adaptation to the novel hatchery environment involved responses in wound healing, immunity and metabolism. These findings suggest that the earliest stages of domestication may involve adaptation to highly crowded conditions.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,919
    Why are the Putin apologists always also antivaxxers? Surely they'd be able to keep their cover a bit longer if they didn't immediately launch into the antivax idiocy. It's such an obvious giveaway.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Skiddaw said:

Skiddaw said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No doubt.

China.

No-one out Irredentists me.

You failed to notice that I'm talking about The Republic of China. Which is currently located on the island of Taiwan.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

To elevate the conversation, here's an interesting paper on the genetics of domestication. The finding of heritable and widespread changes in gene expression, which seem to be able to occur over a single generation, is quite the surprise.

A single generation of domestication heritably alters the expression of hundreds of genes
    The genetic underpinnings associated with the earliest stages of plant and animal domestication have remained elusive. Because a genome-wide response to selection can take many generations, the earliest detectable changes associated with domestication may first manifest as heritable changes to global patterns of gene expression. Here, to test this hypothesis, we measured differential gene expression in the offspring of wild and first-generation hatchery steelhead trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) reared in a common environment. Remarkably, we find that there were 723 genes differentially expressed between the two groups of offspring. Reciprocal crosses reveal that the differentially expressed genes could not be explained by maternal effects or by chance differences in the background levels of gene expression among unrelated families. Gene-enrichment analyses reveal that adaptation to the novel hatchery environment involved responses in wound healing, immunity and metabolism. These findings suggest that the earliest stages of domestication may involve adaptation to highly crowded conditions.

Not as boring as you mate. Do you ever say anything interesting.
  • Options

Why are the Putin apologists always also antivaxxers? Surely they'd be able to keep their cover a bit longer if they didn't immediately launch into the antivax idiocy. It's such an obvious giveaway.

Is it just one persistent repeat poster?
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,639
    Skiddaw said:

May I just take this brief window of opportunity to welcome you to this site and at the same time say goodbye, because trolls like you don't last for long.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,803
    Nigelb said:

sarissa said:

Albania to speed up EU accession using ChatGPT
    https://www.euractiv.com/section/politics/news/albania-to-speed-up-eu-accession-using-chatgpt/
    Law and order acquis?: Solve by exporting gangs to UK
  • Options
    sarissa said:

IanB2 said:

This jumping course is getting a lot disqualified this morning; just Bliss from Diss who finishes with five faults so far.

Sounds like a ruff day. I might be barking up the wrong tree but suggest the competitors need a bit more pawsitivity.
    The could do with some Pal or Chum.
    Pal used to stand for Prolongs Active Life, as I recall. (No idea if it still does.) So possibly they are overfeeding on it. What they do need is some Winalot mixed in with it.
  • Options

Skiddaw said:

May I just take this brief window of opportunity to welcome you to this site and at the same time say goodbye, because trolls like you don't last for long.
    Oh i weep. I wanted to be on this site for weeks you know talking about minor opinion polls.
  • Options

Selebian said:

Skiddaw said:

Skiddaw said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No doubt.

China.

No-one out Irredentists me.

You failed to notice that I'm talking about The Republic of China. Which is currently located on the island of Taiwan.
    D'oh!

(And chapeau)
  • Options

I have my doubts that they're even Russian..
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Mm, interesting. More evidence for the argument that domestication is itself apt to be a speciation event.
  • Options
    edited March 8
    Skiddaw said:

Theres this.

Former Tottenham star Gareth Bale installs defibrillator at home after recent cardiac arrest scares - http://football.london

Bloke with net worth of over £100m spends £1k (0.001% of his wealth) on something that may save a life shocker. Must be a global conspiracy, no other "realistic" explanations available.
  • Options
    This morning, I asked
    @PennyMordaunt
    for a debate in government time on those who commit crimes against humanity and the appropriate punishment for those people.

The Leader of the House's response says it all! They all know what has and what is being perpetrated against the people.

https://x.com/ABridgen/status/1763174489670467720?s=20
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,634
    edited March 8
    Skiddaw rapidly heading towards skid row, I suspect.

Edit - done.
  • Options

bored leon? :wink:

Although he'd be more creative than Skiddaw and most of them. With Colin, I did wonder...
  • Options

Russian propaganda latches onto anything that causes division in the west.
    The anti-vaxx movement is particularly useful as it's essentially outside of normal politics (though it's a not insignificant part of Trump's constituency).
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,204
    Skiddaw said:

Skiddaw said:

Oh i weep. I wanted to be on this site for weeks you know talking about minor opinion polls.
    Dude, that is literally what this site is all about.
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,919
    edited March 8
    Selebian said:

Although he'd be more creative than Skiddaw and most of them. With Colin, I did wonder...
    Leon using ChatGPT maybe?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,573
    kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

A nice run there by Outlaw in the medium novice agility

Pity no betfair markets on this. We can't profit from your niche expertise.
    There were some years back, but it got stopped after suggestions of dodgy doggy goings on
  • Options
    Skiddaw said:

Like i said i think leon on this board is now antivax....

That's as good as proof that there's nothing in it...
  • Options
    Skiddaw said:

Theres this.

Then there's Novak Djokovic who won Wimbledon having refused the jab. In the process he beat several players who had had it.

That's a slamdunk QED right there. The damn thing might not kill you but it slows you down.
  • Options
    edited March 8
    IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

There were some years back, but it got stopped after suggestions of dodgy doggy goings on
    Ah yes, like with the greyhounds. It's easy to nobble a dog - you just overfeed it before the race.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,464

kinabalu said:

mwadams said:

kjh said:

Roger said:

An easy mistake to make

Stanley missed a trick in naming BJ, denying us the chance to coin Should Have Used A Johnny Johnson.

My uncle, who I was named after was called Ron Woodman, but at the time everyone called him Tim (short for Timber, get it?)
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,075
    Nigelb said:

The anti-vaxx movement is particularly useful as it's essentially outside of normal politics (though it's a not insignificant part of Trump's constituency).
    If it turns out that the vaccines do fuck you up, which seems at least possible as they were developed and tested over a bank holiday weekend, then we'll never know about it. It'll have to be covered up.
  • Options
    edited March 8
    Nigelb said:

One of the precious few things on the + side of his ledger is he didn't go down that route. Of course he would have done if he'd judged there to be (net) votes in it.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,813
    F1 News: "Saudi Arabian Grand Prix: Carlos Sainz ruled out and replaced by Oliver Bearman"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/68511360

Sainz has appendicitis. He was in practice yesterday, ouch!
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,169
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

If it turns out that the vaccines do fuck you up, which seems at least possible as they were developed and tested over a bank holiday weekend, then we'll never know about it. It'll have to be covered up.
    Of course you are an anti-vaxxer.
  • Options

Skiddaw said:

Skiddaw said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No doubt.

1) A place crashes on the Ukraine/Republic of China border.
    Key to comedy: incessant repetition spanning several years.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,813
    edited March 8

kinabalu said:

mwadams said:

kjh said:

Roger said:

An easy mistake to make

My uncle, who I was named after was called Ron Woodman, but at the time everyone called him Tim (short for Timber, get it?)
    My girlfriend's dad was named William Williams (although people just called him Bill thankfully)
  • Options
    Selebian said:

Why are the Putin apologists always also antivaxxers? Surely they'd be able to keep their cover a bit longer if they didn't immediately launch into as the antivax idiocy. It's such an obvious giveaway.

Skilful creativity might involve constructing a repetitive mediocrity.
    Might even be fun for the..er..knapper, not so much for the rest of us.
  • Options
    Skiddaw said:

Skiddaw said:

Can we talk about how Vladimir Putin looks like a flabby breasted Gollum? Is he still hiding at the long end of a dining table, being such a beta male he is so scared of germs?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

And also that Lamarck was right, at least to an extent. I fear he is still routinely mocked by those who know a little about evolution, but not a lot.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

I defer to your knowledge of military matters, but that's a bollocks a statement as anything our Russian trolls come out with. Which steps of testing were omitted?

(answer - none).
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,639
    Nigelb said:

Yes he was. Gone now.

Incidentally, my father was a teacher and in the Summer holidays took parties of school children hiking up mountains (something that probably wouldn't be possible nowadays given H&S). He loved the Lake District. But the one mountain he avoided was Skiddaw, I remember him saying that it was just a boring featureless slog from bottom to top.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,605

He has good stamina. But this is not an edifying event.

He has done nothing to convince me that he isn't far too old to hold any public office.

No one should be elected to office after their 75th birthday.

Good thing the Queen was unelected right through to her 96th birthday.
  • Options
    Skiddaw said:

Theres this.

You do realize that British political obsessives are a substantially higher level of intellect than American Trumpians? Do you really think that people on here are going to believe the logical chain "A single Welsh footballer had some heart issues, therefore there might be something wrong with vaccines"? As if people that excel in betting don't understand sample sizes? Or multiple potential causes of an effect? Or the fact footballers are a bit thick?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,605
    Dura_Ace said:

Skiddaw said:

Skiddaw said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No doubt.

@Dura_Ace is a Russian troll that slipped through the net?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

kinabalu said:

IanB2 said:

Ah yes, like with the greyhounds. It's easy to nobble a dog - you just overfeed it before the race.
    I think it's more that dog competitions are all judged. Although there are still occasional allegations of nobbling
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Skiddaw said:

Skiddaw said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No doubt.

Can someone explain this to me? I realise the 'funny' that the ROC is an island, Taiwan. But nor does Ukraine have a border with the PRC, it's nowhere near it, so the fact that one is Taiwan and the other mainland China would seem to be irrelevant?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,390
    The "death" of cash helps boost the treasuries revenues by £12 Billion

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/03/07/ftse-100-markets-budget-hunt-national-insurance-tax-cuts/
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Yes he was. Gone now.

Incidentally, my father was a teacher and in the Summer holidays took parties of school children hiking up mountains (something that probably wouldn't be possible nowadays given H&S). He loved the Lake District. But the one mountain he avoided was Skiddaw, I remember him saying that it was just a boring featureless slog from bottom to top.
    Coming up from the North West via Ullock Pike provides a decent route. The tourist route from Keswick is a grind, even from the carpark a but higher up (Latrigg). Also that route is a motorway now, so popular is it.
  • Options
    AverageNinjaAverageNinja Posts: 1,169
    edited March 8
    The
    Russian
    Bots
    Are
    Fuckers
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Skiddaw said:

Skiddaw said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

No doubt.

Can someone explain this to me? I realise the 'funny' that the ROC is an island, Taiwan. But nor does Ukraine have a border with the PRC,
    It did from 1918 to 1922 but I don't think that is part of the "joke".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_Ukraine
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Nigelb said:

I defer to your knowledge of military matters, but that's a bollocks a statement as anything our Russian trolls come out with. Which steps of testing were omitted?

(answer - none).
    Never defer to my knowledge. That's how you're fucking up.
This discussion has been closed.