Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How will a criminal conviction impact on WH2024? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086
    edited February 27

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    3h
    Trump is still leading Biden in every single swing state.

https://twitter.com/FrankLuntz/status/1762511985705681138

Terrifying. Sure, things might change, but there's a lot of just hoping/assuming it will. I don't think people have woken up to just how much the politics dial has shifted in the US. Things they once would have thought unthinkable - like violence and ignoring the law to win - are now mainstream opinions.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,802
    algarkirk said:

This says so much about the lack of class with Lee Anderson and Reform.

A fucking Holiday Inn?

Have some dignity, don't lower yourself with a Holiday Inn.

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

Former Tory deputy chairman Lee Anderson held private 'one to one' talks with Richard Tice, the leader of the Reform UK party, at a Holiday Inn hotel, at junction 28 of the M1 in South Normanton, Derbyshire on Sunday, 24 hours after he lost the Tory whip.

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1762525720813736010

Would you have preferred a Premier Inn?
    I always use Premier Inns

Mind you I stayed in a holiday in in Kelowna in Canada when my eldest was married and it was very good
    They do the job, as do Holiday Inn. You *generally* get what you pay for; and what you pay is a heck of a lot less than you pay for the sort of tosserific high-class shitbag of a hotel that @TheScreamingEagles and @Leon appear to love.

We've had one bad experience in a Holiday Inn or Premier Inn; and that was in York when Mrs J was running a marathon and the room flooded the night before. But the (I think solitary) night staff member was very good and, if not sorted the mess out, made it so we could get a reasonable night's sleep.

Compared to B&B's, where we've had tremendous value and some hilariously poor experiences. Or high-class hotels, where you simply don't get what you pay for. Fine if you're on a trip of a lifetime, or on an expenses account, but sh*t if you're paying.

There's a reason why Premier Inn and Holiday Inn exist; and the people who poor scorn on them are just wannabe snobs, and can be ignored as such.
    In the nominations for worst hotel in the country I offer up the Halifax Travelodge. The address should be a giveaway: Gate 9, Dean Clough Industrial Park.

Tbf I haven't had the dubious pleasure of staying there recently but when I did stay, if you made the mistake of including breakfast they gave that to you in a carrier bag at check-in, and it included a long-life 'bread' roll, tub of cereal, UHT milk, and some other shite.
    Travelodges where they do proper breakfast are fine. The carrier bag sort are, yes, awful.

There is something about Premier Inn etc breakfasts that are just wonderful, especially if you are not in a hurry and you have space for about 4000 calories to last you the day. They are slightly special, considering how down market the whole thing is, while dinners are, at best, very ordinary.
    My impression is that premier inns vary dramatically due to how old they are, they don't seem to get refurbished for 30 years. I wouldn't bother with the evening food but the breakfast is good value at £10.99, although even that is pretty cheap (cheap eggs, sausages, tomato) at least that has been my recent experience, not as good as it once was.
  • Options
    Plaid come out against the Speaker and 86 have signed the notice confidence motion

Not sure where this is going
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,879
    Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Apple has canceled its electric car project after working on it for nearly 10 years.

Apple made the disclosure internally Tuesday, surprising the nearly 2,000 employees working on the project.

https://twitter.com/SawyerMerritt/status/1762555106313048099

Shame. Would have been interesting to see what they came up with. But probably the right move for the company in general. Stock up 0.8% on the news.
    Good to see Apple focusing on its core business.
    Generating colossal amounts of cash ?
    Pruning a non core business.
    Or is the whole empire about to crumble?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,079
    Nigelb said:

Apple has canceled its electric car project after working on it for nearly 10 years.

Apple made the disclosure internally Tuesday, surprising the nearly 2,000 employees working on the project.

2000 people employed for 10 years and producing nothing? Were they working for the MOD procurement office?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086
    Nothing to worry about.

Former Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull:

“When you see Trump with Putin, as I have on a few occasions, he’s like the 12-year-old boy that goes to high school and meets the captain of the football team. ‘My hero!’ It’s really creepy.”

https://twitter.com/RpsAgainstTrump/status/1762546091935891668?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

Never mind all the other reasons, Trump is just a weird dude.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,806

Ex Blair advisor to Social Market think tank. The prep for a Starmer government goes on...

Theo Bertram
    @theobertram
    ·
    4h
    After 14 years in the technology sector working on global public policy issues, I am looking forward to returning to UK politics and public policy. Starting in May, I’m excited to be joining the
    @SMFthinktank
    as its new Director.

https://twitter.com/theobertram/status/1762493500418080777

In 2010, when the Tories (and Clegg) assumed the reins it seemed quite easy - get rid of the daft Labour policies, tighten things up a little, and the worries associated with Brown's splurge will fade away. It's not quite clear why that didn't quite work out, but it didn't.

Then the Tories have a majority of their own - again the obvious seems to fail in the delivery.

Nonetheless, if I was a Labour thinker, I'd be bloody terrified about the issues facing the (surely) next government.

Someone that says "After 14 years in the technology sector working on global public policy issues" strikes me as not the right person.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,962
    McConnell makes the case for the Ukraine-Israel-Taiwan bill, saying that “we have a time problem” with Russia making advances, and that the “best way” to get this done would be “for the House to take up the Senate bill.”
    https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1762559734370935243

Schumer on what he told Johnson regarding Ukraine aid: “I said if you are the one stopping this, no matter what the immediate consequence is, two year from now and for the rest of your life you will regret it.” He says it would be a turning point for America.
    https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1762561719463719269

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,878
    edited February 27

Paging PB Neolibs:

Polling by DeltaPoll for Channel 4 News suggests that three quarters of voters want to see taxes retained where they are now, or increased, because they care more about funding public services. In its summary of the findings C4 News says:

The poll of 1,500 UK voters, conducted between 23-26 February is released today ahead of the spring budget 2024 next week.
    The new data shows that more than four in ten respondents (41%) believed that taxes and public spending should be kept at the level they are now. A further third (34%) said they would like to see taxes increased with greater spending on public services, while one in seven (14%) believed that taxes and public spending should be reduced. Among Conservative voters, that figure rose only marginally to one in six (17%).
    When asked to rank a list of economic priorities, voters placed cutting taxes fourth (11%), after growing the economy (23%), reducing inflation (22%), and investing in public service (12%), with 8% choosing to prioritise reducing the national debt, a cornerstone of shadow chancellor Rachel Reeves’ economic policy.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2024/feb/27/lee-anderson-sadiq-khan-conservatives-islamophobia-post-office-uk-politics-live

I wonder if they were asked if 'taxes should go up' or if 'their taxes should go up'? Lots of people seem to be happy to see others pay more tax whilst being opposed to their own taxes going up.
    Yeah, maybe, I haven't seen the question.

Doesn't that work the other way too though? Only 14% said they thought taxes should be cut - presumably they weren't assuming that would only be other people's taxes cut.

My brother surprised me the other day. He voted Tory in 2019 (liked Boris, wanted Brexit done) he's in the working but struggling category but said he'd prefer to pay a bit more tax and have public services that work.

I really do wonder if the Tories have got this whole 'tax cuts' thing right.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Sandpit said:

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

Former Tory deputy chairman Lee Anderson held private 'one to one' talks with Richard Tice, the leader of the Reform UK party, at a Holiday Inn hotel, at junction 28 of the M1 in South Normanton, Derbyshire on Sunday, 24 hours after he lost the Tory whip.

Mind you I stayed in a holiday in in Kelowna in Canada when my eldest was married and it was very good
    They do the job, as do Holiday Inn. You *generally* get what you pay for; and what you pay is a heck of a lot less than you pay for the sort of tosserific high-class shitbag of a hotel that @TheScreamingEagles and @Leon appear to love.

We've had one bad experience in a Holiday Inn or Premier Inn; and that was in York when Mrs J was running a marathon and the room flooded the night before. But the (I think solitary) night staff member was very good and, if not sorted the mess out, made it so we could get a reasonable night's sleep.

Compared to B&B's, where we've had tremendous value and some hilariously poor experiences. Or high-class hotels, where you simply don't get what you pay for. Fine if you're on a trip of a lifetime, or on an expenses account, but sh*t if you're paying.

There's a reason why Premier Inn and Holiday Inn exist; and the people who poor scorn on them are just wannabe snobs, and can be ignored as such.
    Yeah Premier Inn is the business. Comfy bed, nice breakfast, parking, what else do you need?
    A good concierge service for starters.
    What even is that? I've always seen these concierge desks next to check in, in fancy hotels I stay in for work, and never understood what they do.
    Will get you tickets for shows/events that are sold out, ditto restaurant reservations.

They are the guys I ring before my romantic stays at a hotel.

Recently they helped ensure there were 144 roses, chocolates, etc in our room for our Valentine's Day long weekend.
    Thanks, you've confirmed I have no use for their services.
    One time I forgot to bring my suit, they arranged for a tailor to visit me in the hotel and provide me with a quality suit within 4 hours.
    Which cost how much, to the nearest bag of sand?
    I think it was £1,200.
    £1,200? Just think of the number of train rides I could have bought with that :lol:
    About a third of one:

Fares: London to Venice or Verona From £3,353

https://www.seat61.com/venice-simplon-orient-express.htm
    Plus the chance of meeting Poirot.
    Provided you don't get murdered on the way.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,079
  • Options
    The one thing I would say about some of the comments earlier is that, if employers avoid people who are politically active, which I suspect they probably do; then it makes the situation with finding decent councillors even more problematic.
  • Options
    darkage said:

algarkirk said:

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

In the nominations for worst hotel in the country I offer up the Halifax Travelodge. The address should be a giveaway: Gate 9, Dean Clough Industrial Park.

Tbf I haven't had the dubious pleasure of staying there recently but when I did stay, if you made the mistake of including breakfast they gave that to you in a carrier bag at check-in, and it included a long-life 'bread' roll, tub of cereal, UHT milk, and some other shite.
    Travelodges where they do proper breakfast are fine. The carrier bag sort are, yes, awful.

There is something about Premier Inn etc breakfasts that are just wonderful, especially if you are not in a hurry and you have space for about 4000 calories to last you the day. They are slightly special, considering how down market the whole thing is, while dinners are, at best, very ordinary.
    My impression is that premier inns vary dramatically due to how old they are, they don't seem to get refurbished for 30 years. I wouldn't bother with the evening food but the breakfast is good value at £10.99, although even that is pretty cheap (cheap eggs, sausages, tomato) at least that has been my recent experience, not as good as it once was.
    If I had to spend an unplanned night away I would always look for a Premier Inn as in our experience they have consistently been excellent with their comfy beds, parking, and meal deals
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,635
    tlg86 said:

nico679 said:

TimS said:

nico679 said:

tlg86 said:

Has Guido got Rayner in a corner?

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1762528491528929519

@GuidoFawkes
    Let me explain the confusion; box 10 is where she originally registered the birth and can't be changed. She got married and now was re-registering the birth with her married surname and her new address in box 13.

Sorry, what is the problem?
    The problem is the right wing press are desperate .
    Isn't it a question of her paying capital gains tax on a non-primary residence? Something a lot of MPs were done for during the expenses scandal.
    If that’s true then she is out. If.
    Maybe it was a genuine mistake when filling out the form . It does seem strange to run this story months before an election . You’d think if it was so explosive they’d save it for nearer the time .
    I dont get it. I am probably being thick.

What is Q10? The usual address of whom? It looks like the usual address of the mother but that doesn't seem right. If it is then she entered two different on same form, so why didn't the registar say something when she went to hand it in?

It's the address she put on the form when she first registered the birth in 2009. From a comment it then seems she married the father, and so reregistered the birth, or updated the registration, in 2010, at which point she gave a different address, presumably they'd moved, don't know, don't care.

I guess it then depends on which of these two properties were sold, and when, and whether capital gains tax should have been paid on the sale, and whether this shines any light on the matter.
    The first address on Vicarage Road is the council house that she purchased.

The second address is her husband's house which she says she never lived at even after they got married:

https://twitter.com/AngelaRayner/status/1762219592095563994

@AngelaRayner
    We mutually decided to maintain our existing residences to reflect our circumstances.

Every family is different but it worked for us and we brought up our boys in a caring environment, surrounded by love.
    "I thought 10,000 swords must have leaped from their scabbards, to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult. But the age of chivalry is gone." Edmund Burke on Angela Rayner, Taylor Swift and Marie-Antoinette.
  • Options

Plaid come out against the Speaker and 86 have signed the notice confidence motion

Nowhere.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

McConnell makes the case for the Ukraine-Israel-Taiwan bill, saying that “we have a time problem” with Russia making advances, and that the “best way” to get this done would be “for the House to take up the Senate bill.”
    https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1762559734370935243

Schumer on what he told Johnson regarding Ukraine aid: “I said if you are the one stopping this, no matter what the immediate consequence is, two year from now and for the rest of your life you will regret it.” He says it would be a turning point for America.
    https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1762561719463719269

Better argument to make to Speaker-Preacher Mike, is that failing to aid Ukraine will postpone - NOT hasten - Armageddon.

Thus delaying the rapture of The Rapture.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nothing to worry about.

Former Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull:

“When you see Trump with Putin, as I have on a few occasions, he’s like the 12-year-old boy that goes to high school and meets the captain of the football team. ‘My hero!’ It’s really creepy.”

https://twitter.com/RpsAgainstTrump/status/1762546091935891668?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

Never mind all the other reasons, Trump is just a weird dude.

An even weirder, creepier dude than Malcolm Turnball.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

2000 people employed for 10 years and producing nothing? Were they working for the MOD procurement office?
    I'm fairly sure they'll have produced quite a lot of stuff about integrating Apple products into cars - which will have some future value.

Had it been MOD scale mismanagement, it would have been at least 20k employees.
    Possibly 200k.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    3h

Terrifying. Sure, things might change, but there's a lot of just hoping/assuming it will. I don't think people have woken up to just how much the politics dial has shifted in the US. Things they once would have thought unthinkable - like violence and ignoring the law to win - are now mainstream opinions.
    This is precisely why I think Trump will win. Only a handful of states matter, and they are voting Trump. If correct then only a legal bar to standing can stop him.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,428
    edited February 27

Nowhere.
    It is not a good look to have lost two of the minor parties when he consistently promotes them ( apart from last Wednesdays decision)

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-politics-sunak-starmer-general-election-vote-labour-tories-speaker-sky-news-politics-hub-12593360
  • Options
    darkage said:

algarkirk said:

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

I don't know whether I'm just getting old or what but these days if I'm going to have a full cooked breakfast, I really want it to be top notch. Cheap hotel cooked breakfasts don't really cut it.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,879

Paging PB Neolibs:

Polling by DeltaPoll for Channel 4 News suggests that three quarters of voters want to see taxes retained where they are now, or increased, because they care more about funding public services. In its summary of the findings C4 News says:

The poll of 1,500 UK voters, conducted between 23-26 February is released today ahead of the spring budget 2024 next week.
    The new data shows that more than four in ten respondents (41%) believed that taxes and public spending should be kept at the level they are now. A further third (34%) said they would like to see taxes increased with greater spending on public services, while one in seven (14%) believed that taxes and public spending should be reduced. Among Conservative voters, that figure rose only marginally to one in six (17%).
    When asked to rank a list of economic priorities, voters placed cutting taxes fourth (11%), after growing the economy (23%), reducing inflation (22%), and investing in public service (12%), with 8% choosing to prioritise reducing the national debt, a cornerstone of shadow chancellor Rachel Reeves’ economic policy.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2024/feb/27/lee-anderson-sadiq-khan-conservatives-islamophobia-post-office-uk-politics-live

I wonder if they were asked if 'taxes should go up' or if 'their taxes should go up'? Lots of people seem to be happy to see others pay more tax whilst being opposed to their own taxes going up.
    At the last count there were 23m people happy to see others pay more tax but not their own, and a further 21m who love to point this out every time anyone suggests increasing taxes.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,482
    viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

Can we hire them for the DfE? Would be a step forward if they did nothing for ten years.
  • Options

darkage said:

algarkirk said:

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

I don't know whether I'm just getting old or what but these days if I'm going to have a full cooked breakfast, I really want it to be top notch. Cheap hotel cooked breakfasts don't really cut it.
    I haven't had a cooked breakfast in decades - continental style are fine with me with weetabix and fruit and coffee
  • Options

Nowhere.
    It is not a good look to have lost two of the minor parties when he consistently promotes them ( apart from last Wednesdays decision)
    No, it's all been a real blemish on Hoyle's copybook but unless Sunak decides to join the no confidence motion it's not happening imo.

It only took a couple of days to disappear from the headlines and will soon be forgotten by all except politics nerds like us.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,051
    Channel 4 News — "Lee Anderson says ‘dozens of Tory MPs’ back him over Sadiq Khan comments"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No7evaiMj-M
  • Options

darkage said:

algarkirk said:

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

I haven't had a cooked breakfast in decades - continental style are fine with me with weetabix and fruit and coffee
    I have recently got into greek yoghurt with seeds, nuts and honey. Also like a good scandi open sandwich for breakfast, and we quite often do a vegetable frittata.

I never have cereal these days - they never stand by me.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,152
    Allegedly, Russia is banning the export of gasoline for six months from March 1st.

If true, how much is it a result of no-one buying Russian refined oil products (as opposed to crude), and how much a result of some rather fortunate incidents at Russian refineries?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Channel 4 News — "Lee Anderson says ‘dozens of Tory MPs’ back him over Sadiq Khan comments"

I do not find that a surprise whatsoever
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    3h

I think this is ultimately best explained as the search for order amidst chaos. And it may well be how democracy ends.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

MR-D applies
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,393

He has to go

All roads lead to the Moggster.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

Nowhere.
    No, it's all been a real blemish on Hoyle's copybook but unless Sunak decides to join the no confidence motion it's not happening imo.

It only took a couple of days to disappear from the headlines and will soon be forgotten by all except politics nerds like us.
    It's not being forgotten by MPs though. Real anger at him.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,202

He has to go

All roads lead to the Moggster.
    If Hoyle went it would be Dame Eleanor Laing who would almost certainly be elected to replace him
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,880

Nigelb said:

Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Shame. Would have been interesting to see what they came up with. But probably the right move for the company in general. Stock up 0.8% on the news.
    Good to see Apple focusing on its core business.
    Generating colossal amounts of cash ?
    Pruning a non core business.
    Or is the whole empire about to crumble?
    Or are they going to pear back unproductive areas in order to generate seed capital?
  • Options
    The insanity of our pension system

I received a letter from the DWP saying that as I was nearing 80 I would receive an automatic pension increase from 5th March

Apparently it is 25p per week - yes I am not joking

What is the point ?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,666
    edited February 27

Get rid of him. Install a speaker with a spine who won’t keep getting rolled over. I think I posted this a year ago, and the facts havn’t changed. I don’t like him.

Though the pressure speaker was put under last week is complicated, if minor opposition parties are merely shameless opportunists like the SNP. Imagine if shinfayn IRA took up their seats to cause as much mischief and shameless opportunism as they absolutely could - it would be identical to this SNP bloc.

The SNP in parliament are just opportunists, and see the events in Gaza as a means of stopping Labour’s advance in Scotland. Their motion was designed to make it hard for the Labour frontbench to support (with references to Israel inflicting “collective punishment”) but hard for Labour MPs not to support as failure to walk through the SNP’s lobbies would be portrayed as failing to back a ceasefire. This left Labour cornered, with the risk of Shadow Cabinet resignations and many more accusations and genuinely damaging evidence of Sir Keir Starmer flip-flopping if he changed approach. At this point, Labour came up with a wheeze: produce their own motion that backs a ceasefire, but presents it in a more balanced way. Labour MPs could then say that they had voted for a ceasefire without defying their whips. The problem is that this motion, the sane one to bring members of all parties to speak as one for Britain, would not normally be called by the Speaker. So Follow convention, even though SNP are bastardising convention and don’t care a toss about London Parliament just taking the piss, or do the right thing and try to make the vote on something MPs across the house could honestly support without feeling under pressure from the extremists that the home office and government are allowing to mass outside the building?

Even a speaker with a backbone would have found it a tough day if the MPs come intent to act like a rabble.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,972
    Apols if this has been covered, but a bit of a blast (ahem) from the past :

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68415892

Daniela Klette: Alleged Red Army Faction member held after 30 years

Alleged Red Army Faction (RAF) fugitive Daniela Klette has been arrested by German police after more than 30 years in hiding.

The 65-year-old was tracked down on Monday evening in the Berlin district of Kreuzberg.

A second person, whose identity has not yet been confirmed, has also been arrested.

Ms Klette is renowned for allegedly being part of the far-left armed group which terrorised Germany for decades.

She is accused of attempted murder and a string of serious robberies.

The second person to be arrested, a man who appears to be in the same age range as Ms Klette's robbery accomplices, was carrying fake identification. Police have not yet determined his identity.
  • Options

The insanity of our pension system

I received a letter from the DWP saying that as I was nearing 80 I would receive an automatic pension increase from 5th March

Apparently it is 25p per week - yes I am not joking

What is the point ?

Tickbox - checked!
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,039
    edited February 27

Get rid of him. Install a speaker with a spine who won’t keep getting rolled over. I think I posted this a year ago, and the facts havn’t changed. I don’t like him.

Though the pressure speaker was put under last week is complicated, if minor opposition parties are merely shameless opportunists like the SNP. Imagine if shinfayn IRA took up their seats to cause as much mischief and shameless opportunism as they absolutely could - it would be identical to this SNP bloc.

The SNP in parliament are just opportunists, and see the events in Gaza as a means of stopping Labour’s advance in Scotland. Their motion was designed to make it hard for the Labour frontbench to support (with references to Israel inflicting “collective punishment”) but hard for Labour MPs not to support as failure to walk through the SNP’s lobbies would be portrayed as failing to back a ceasefire. This left Labour cornered, with the risk of Shadow Cabinet resignations and many more accusations and genuinely damaging evidence of Sir Keir Starmer flip-flopping if he changed approach. At this point, Labour came up with a wheeze: produce their own motion that backs a ceasefire, but presents it in a more balanced way. Labour MPs could then say that they had voted for a ceasefire without defying their whips. The problem is that this motion, the sane one to bring members of all parties to speak as one for Britain, would not normally be called by the Speaker. So Follow convention, even though SNP are bastardising convention and don’t care a toss about London Parliament just taking the piss, or do the right thing and try to make the vote on something MPs across the house could honestly support without feeling under pressure from the extremists that the home office and government are allowing to mass outside the building?

Even a speaker with a backbone would have found it a tough day if the MPs come intent to act like a rabble.
    Hmm. It's not the SNP who wrecked convention. And you are denying members of parliament of the UK any valid agency. You're not being a good unionist.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,257

darkage said:

algarkirk said:

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

The trick here, to make the best of a bad job, is to make something else with the hot stuff: sausage sandwich, bacon sandwich etc. Then eke it out with cereals, fruit, pastries.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I've noticed around London over the past few days there are Palestinian flags hanging up everywhere, on lampposts, on public property everywhere, just as there were chants of 'from the river to sea'. It does feel like you would get lynched if you hung up an Israeli flag. Not wishing to align myself in any way with Lee Anderson but it makes you wonder why the Police don't and can't intervene.

• Options

darkage said:

algarkirk said:

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

I have recently got into greek yoghurt with seeds, nuts and honey. Also like a good scandi open sandwich for breakfast, and we quite often do a vegetable frittata.

I never have cereal these days - they never stand by me.
    Shakshuka has filled the cooked breakfast hole for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EAGxWpg2-k

• Options

Nowhere.

Vote in the Moggster. He will kick the **** out of Starmer, but very politely. He might even insist Starmer answers Rishi's questions every week at PMQs. Starmer never answers Rishi's questions!
  • Options
    darkage said:

Andy_JS said:

I've noticed around London over the past few days there are Palestinian flags hanging up everywhere, on lampposts, on public property everywhere, just as there were chants of 'from the river to sea'. It does feel like you would get lynched if you hung up an Israeli flag. Not wishing to align myself in any way with Lee Anderson but it makes you wonder why the Police don't and can't intervene.
    It's not a crime to hang up a Palestinian flag is it?
  • Options
    darkage said:

Andy_JS said:

I had the police stop me to ask about some stolen laminate flooring from a communal area in the block the other day. Three weeks after it had happened. Maybe if you hang up a flag, get attacked they might intervene a few months down the line. Depending which HR courses they're able to skip.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

tlg86 said:

nico679 said:

TimS said:

nico679 said:

tlg86 said:

Has Guido got Rayner in a corner?

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1762528491528929519

@GuidoFawkes
    Let me explain the confusion; box 10 is where she originally registered the birth and can't be changed. She got married and now was re-registering the birth with her married surname and her new address in box 13.

Sorry, what is the problem?
    The problem is the right wing press are desperate .
    Isn't it a question of her paying capital gains tax on a non-primary residence? Something a lot of MPs were done for during the expenses scandal.
    If that’s true then she is out. If.
    Maybe it was a genuine mistake when filling out the form . It does seem strange to run this story months before an election . You’d think if it was so explosive they’d save it for nearer the time .
    I dont get it. I am probably being thick.

What is Q10? The usual address of whom? It looks like the usual address of the mother but that doesn't seem right. If it is then she entered two different on same form, so why didn't the registar say something when she went to hand it in?

It's the address she put on the form when she first registered the birth in 2009. From a comment it then seems she married the father, and so reregistered the birth, or updated the registration, in 2010, at which point she gave a different address, presumably they'd moved, don't know, don't care.

I guess it then depends on which of these two properties were sold, and when, and whether capital gains tax should have been paid on the sale, and whether this shines any light on the matter.
    The first address on Vicarage Road is the council house that she purchased.

The second address is her husband's house which she says she never lived at even after they got married:

https://twitter.com/AngelaRayner/status/1762219592095563994

@AngelaRayner
    We mutually decided to maintain our existing residences to reflect our circumstances.

Every family is different but it worked for us and we brought up our boys in a caring environment, surrounded by love.
    "I thought 10,000 swords must have leaped from their scabbards, to avenge even a look that threatened her with insult. But the age of chivalry is gone." Edmund Burke on Angela Rayner, Taylor Swift and Marie-Antoinette.
    Taylor Swift is going to spend the Summer in our great country. She will lift our economy out of recession 🤑
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,912

I have to say one of the advantages of living in London are the multitude of really good cafes offering a decent cooked breakfast. Without wishing to make too much of a point, I found Portuguese and Turkish owned and run cafes right up there with the best.

My barometer is mushrooms - if mushrooms are done well, everything else is usually good. One thing that does let some places down is cheap ingredients - supermarket sausage and bacon is disappointing so I rarely have it but I'm not averse to black pudding, white pudding, kidneys or fried onions if offered.

I also don't go with a "set" breakfast - create your own, they don't mind.

A good breakfast, decent coffee and a copy of the Racing Post - what more does anyone need to start the day?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930

If it gets to 100 he'll have to go, surely?
  • Options

stodge said:

I have to say one of the advantages of living in London are the multitude of really good cafes offering a decent cooked breakfast. Without wishing to make too much of a point, I found Portuguese and Turkish owned and run cafes right up there with the best.

My barometer is mushrooms - if mushrooms are done well, everything else is usually good. One thing that does let some places down is cheap ingredients - supermarket sausage and bacon is disappointing so I rarely have it but I'm not averse to black pudding, white pudding, kidneys or fried onions if offered.

A good breakfast, decent coffee and a copy of the Racing Post - what more does anyone need to start the day?
    Breakfast in the company of my beloved wife of near 60 years together
    I've never had the pleasure of breakfast with your wife but if you two are ever down the Barking Road, let me know and I'll treat you at my local cafe.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

If it gets to 100 he'll have to go, surely?
    Martin went on 20
  • Options

darkage said:

Andy_JS said:

They're all the rage in Ilford, also spotted a load in Leyton the other day.
  • Options

Me neither. But given the way the SNP are being treated, just to favour Labour, any small party is going to be worried. It astounds me the LDs haven't cottoned on yet.
  • Options

darkage said:

Andy_JS said:

They could cook something up if they wanted to, public order, littering, something like that. Instead they seem to come out with every kind of reason to not to get involved or do anything.
  • Options
    stodge said:

stodge said:

Breakfast in the company of my beloved wife of near 60 years together
    I've never had the pleasure of breakfast with your wife but if you two are ever down the Barking Road, let me know and I'll treat you at my local cafe.
    That is a lovely comment
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,505
    carnforth said:

darkage said:

algarkirk said:

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

The trick here, to make the best of a bad job, is to make something else with the hot stuff: sausage sandwich, bacon sandwich etc. Then eke it out with cereals, fruit, pastries.
    Even though it wasn't my money I ended up not buying the breakfast at Premier Inn because I just didn't like it. One jar of jam and a supply of scones and I had a breakfast I enjoyed a lot more.

There was one group of consultants I was on a deployment with that always booked the second-closest Marriott to the client site, necessitating a 30 minute Uber in each direction on the A1, because they'd found out the breakfast team at the more distant hotel was distinctly better. Now that was a good hotel breakfast.
  • Options
    darkage said:

darkage said:

Andy_JS said:

They could cook something up if they wanted to, public order, littering, something like that. Instead they seem to come out with every kind of reason to not to get involved or do anything.
    Like they have time to sit and watch every street to see who puts up flags 24/7? What do you want, DNA sampling of every flag to see who put it up?

*puzzled*
  • Options
    edited February 27
    Carnyx said:

Me neither. But given the way the SNP are being treated, just to favour Labour, any small party is going to be worried. It astounds me the LDs haven't cottoned on yet.
    Plaid's 3 mps joining the vonc is significant support

PMQs could be interesting tomorrow
  • Options
    edited February 27
    Carnyx said:

Hmm. It's not the SNP who wrecked convention. And you are denying members of parliament of the UK any valid agency. You're not being a good unionist.
    “You're not being a good unionist.”

You piss taking joker! In what way have SNP come to London Parliament to be good unionists? 🤣 They deserve every parliamentary slap down their trouble making deserves!

Make me speaker.
  • Options
    darkage said:

darkage said:

Andy_JS said:

They could cook something up... ?!

Is that the sort of police state you want to live in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chOtJdiBZR4
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,860

I amazed how little people on this site appear to care about the safety of MPs. After the Speaker admitted last week that he'd changed procedures because of fears over safety Harriet Harman has suggested more working from home so MPs don't feel under so much pressure.

Is it seriously coming to this? No doubt as with antisemitism we'll get plenty of 'isn't it awful but what can we do about it?' responses.

Well mp's seem to care little about our safety so six of one half a dozen of the other
  • Options
    darkage said:

Andy_JS said:

I'm not sure where you have been. In my part of town, there was a spate of flags hung from lamp posts in certain roads (the Wards with the larger Muslim populations as distinct from my part of Newham which is more Hindu) but Newham Council got them removed very quickly and while you see Palestinian flags in some businesses it's not as overt as it was a few weeks back.

I think there was another march in the High Street last Saturday but with Thames Water digging up large parts, it's fair to say whatever inconvenience the pro-Palestinian marchers caused paled into insignificance compared to the weeks of irritation caused by our water supplier.
  • Options
    RichardrRichardr Posts: 82

Nowhere.

Vote in the Moggster. He will kick the **** out of Starmer, but very politely. He might even insist Starmer answers Rishi's questions every week at PMQs. Starmer never answers Rishi's questions!
    You realize that it is called Prime Minister's Questions, and that means it is questions to the PM, not the other way.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

On which subject, I wrote to my MP to request tickets for the HoC public galley for PMQs and have tickets for 13th March, so looking forward to that (assuming Sunak doesn't avoid it).
  • Options
    Richardr said:

Nowhere.

You realize that it is called Prime Minister's Questions, and that means it is questions to the PM, not the other way.
    @Mexicanpete is being sarcastic
  • Options
    darkage said:

darkage said:

Andy_JS said:

Loud flag in a built up area...
  • Options

Carnyx said:

On which subject, I wrote to my MP to request tickets for the HoC public galley for PMQs and have tickets for 13th March, so looking forward to that (assuming Sunak doesn't avoid it).
    Second day of Cheltenham.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

After 2010 you are still astonished by the LD's choices?
  • Options
    Cooked breakfasts versus cooked up charges - it's a typical PB evening!
  • Options
    edited February 27

Carnyx said:

You piss taking joker! In what way have SNP come to London Parliament to be good unionists? 🤣 They deserve every slap down their trouble making deserves!

Make me speaker.
    You believe in the union, presumably - so that means all MPs of all parties are treated equally. All of them.

The moment that rule is breached - the union is heading down the plughole. Because some constituents have their voted-in MP treated as second class.

It's as simple as that. The SNP were not allowed to have their opposition day because it did not suit another party. And the Speaker grovelled to the other party. No longer neutral.

Now, extend that to PC. The LDs, Greens, any minority party, including the Tories after the election (probably). See?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,704
    So, which is the Premier Inn where the nubile Eastern European receptionist pays you a visit in the small hours?

Just want to know for my notebook.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Second day of Cheltenham.
    And we know Sunak is a betting man...

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2024/feb/06/pm-piers-morgan-1000-tv-bet-rishi-sunak
  • Options
    Richardr said:

Nowhere.

Well he doesn't answer any either.
  • Options

So, which is the Premier Inn where the nubile Eastern European receptionist pays you a visit in the small hours?

Just want to know for my notebook.

It's a Travelodge - Gate 9, Dean Clough Industrial Park, Halifax.

Just don't take the breakfast option.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Name them.
    Or does he mean ‘about 14 or so’ ?
  • Options
    edited February 27
    This is Liz Savile Roberts letter to the Speaker

Not good look for him

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1762566010266136833?t=xaqZS5EOz4EzPggG7nTZVg&s=19
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,482

darkage said:

darkage said:

Andy_JS said:

They could cook something up... ?!

Is that the sort of police state you want to live in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chOtJdiBZR4
    Quite right. We leave that sort of thing to the Republicans.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

You piss taking joker! In what way have SNP come to London Parliament to be good unionists? 🤣 They deserve every slap down their trouble making deserves!

Make me speaker.
    You believe in the union, presumably - so that means all MPs of all parties are treated equally. All of them.

The moment that rule is breached - the union is heading down the plughole. Because some constituents have their voted-in MP treated as second class.

It's as simple as that. The SNP were not allowed to have their opposition day because it did not suit another party. And the Speaker grovelled to the other party. No longer neutral.

Now, extend that to PC. The LDs, Greens, any minority party, including the Tories after the election (probably). See?
    🤣 oh dear. That is so desperate.

“ that means all MPs of all parties are treated equally‘

If they come on loudly stated mission to try and disrupt and break that system, they deserve zero respect and help from that system in breaking it.

What else do you expect when you come on such a mission? 😂
  • Options

Paging PB Neolibs:

Doesn't that work the other way too though? Only 14% said they thought taxes should be cut - presumably they weren't assuming that would only be other people's taxes cut.

My brother surprised me the other day. He voted Tory in 2019 (liked Boris, wanted Brexit done) he's in the working but struggling category but said he'd prefer to pay a bit more tax and have public services that work.

What public services for the majority of people. Doctors I can never see till I am better, police that wont bother to turn up if my house is burgalled? The only public service I seem to get is a bin service and defence which is paltry
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Perhaps a glance at their current polling will tell them that their brave stance is bringing tens of millions of centrist once Tory voters cheering them on as they return to the fold of the true faith. Surely a Tory majority of 300 is in sight.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,202
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Make me speaker.

On current polls Labour may win more MPs in Scotland than the SNP anyway, so what the SNP think would be irrelevant to the Union as they no longer are the main party in Scotland.

• Options
    Sir Christopher Choke is up to his old tricks trying to delay legislation again I see:

MP Sir Christopher Chope tries to block cat abduction offence

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68418951
  • Options

Not good look for him

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1762566010266136833?t=xaqZS5EOz4EzPggG7nTZVg&s=19

Mmm.Is that the aroma of beer and curry?

(This time though it might just work)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Make me speaker.

On current polls Labour may win more MPs in Scotland than the SNP anyway, so what the SNP think would be irrelevant to the Union as they no longer are the main party in Scotland.

You make the SNPs point with utter disdain for them
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

darkage said:

darkage said:

Andy_JS said:

Like they have time to sit and watch every street to see who puts up flags 24/7? What do you want, DNA sampling of every flag to see who put it up?

*puzzled*
    The problem with this attitude 'ah it is all harmless flag waving and chanting' is that it is fuelling a cycle of reaction which is going to lead to more and more polarisation. People quote the yougov poll on Andersons comments (20% of the public in support), 42% don't know) as evidence of a catastrophic political misjudgement but actually 20% is a lot higher than what Reform are generally polling at the moment and from their point of view there are major opportunities here, unfortunately lots of people are very receptive to Anderson's view of the world.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Make me speaker.

He is the tory party right or wrong candidate he has contempt for 96% of the country
  • Options

Not good look for him

Mmm.Is that the aroma of beer and curry?

(This time though it might just work)
    Well she is Welsh and is not holding any punches

Maybe leeks and daffodils as it is nearly 1st March
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,335
    Carnyx said:

How dare you refer to the LDs as a small party!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Make me speaker.

Hoyle was wrong, he was disrespectful to Scotland.

Nonetheless the SNP were mischievous in the wording and subject of their motion.

I'm with HY on this one.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Paging PB Neolibs:

What public services for the majority of people. Doctors I can never see till I am better, police that wont bother to turn up if my house is burgalled? The only public service I seem to get is a bin service and defence which is paltry
    Hah. You really are the most miserable old cynic.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

How dare you refer to the LDs as a small party!
    Yes minisucule or dwarf party would be better, or if you want to be woke maybe electorally challenged
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,201
    Olaf Scholz gets community noted on Twitter after he contradicts Emmanuel Macron.

https://twitter.com/Bundeskanzler/status/1762452584403529830
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,335

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Make me speaker.

🤣 oh dear. That is so desperate.

“ that means all MPs of all parties are treated equally‘

If they come on loudly stated mission to try and disrupt and break that system, they deserve zero respect and help from that system in breaking it.

What else do you expect when you come on such a mission? 😂
    If only they had the respect for the system like wot Lab does.

https://x.com/RobDunsmore/status/1761859830208250259?s=20
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

Paging PB Neolibs:

Hah. You really are the most miserable old cynic.
    Just stating truths, I get no public services anyway apart from bin collection. My car when I had one was broken into...I said to the police one of them lost their watch....the question asked was is it a good watch? When I said no a timex they suddenly lost interest in collecting it.

I am sick and tired of being told about public services being so crap because I never seem to benefit from any of them. I try and get an appointment for the doctor get one 3 weeks off which means chances are I am better by then....hell so bad I moved home a year ago and haven't even bothered registering with a doctor here because what the fuck is the point of a doctor I can't even see
  • Options
    stodge said:

darkage said:

Andy_JS said:

I'm not sure where you have been. In my part of town, there was a spate of flags hung from lamp posts in certain roads (the Wards with the larger Muslim populations as distinct from my part of Newham which is more Hindu) but Newham Council got them removed very quickly and while you see Palestinian flags in some businesses it's not as overt as it was a few weeks back.

I think there was another march in the High Street last Saturday but with Thames Water digging up large parts, it's fair to say whatever inconvenience the pro-Palestinian marchers caused paled into insignificance compared to the weeks of irritation caused by our water supplier.
    I've been seeing a lot of pro palestinian stuff but I don't live in London so can't keep up the same level of observation. What I would say is that there were some people chanting 'from the river to the sea...' and 'support the palestinian militias' through megaphones immediately after October 7th and the police stood around showing no interest which really stuck in my mind as a dark moment for liberal democracy.

The other, unrelated, thought that keeps coming to me is the usual stuff - why such interest in Palestine when there was no interest in the Uighurs who clearly suffered a far worse fate. Why aren't those in Gaza able to leave etc.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,704
    darkage said:

stodge said:

darkage said:

Andy_JS said:

I've been seeing a lot of pro palestinian stuff but I don't live in London so can't keep up the same level of observation. What I would say is that there were some people chanting 'from the river to the sea...' and 'support the palestinian militias' through megaphones immediately after October 7th and the police stood around showing no interest which really stuck in my mind as a dark moment for liberal democracy.

The other, unrelated, thought that keeps coming to me is the usual stuff - why such interest in Palestine when there was no interest in the Uighurs who clearly suffered a far worse fate. Why aren't those in Gaza able to leave etc.
    Palestine is where all left-wing prejudices meet.
  • Options
    Rishi Sunak braced for another by-election after ex-Tory MP Scott Benton suspended from Commons
    Parliament approves a 35-day suspension for Scott Benton, which could trigger a by-election in his Blackpool South constituency.

https://news.sky.com/story/rishi-sunak-braced-for-another-by-election-after-ex-tory-mp-scott-benton-suspended-from-commons-13082132
  • Options

Sir Christopher Choke is up to his old tricks trying to delay legislation again I see:

MP Sir Christopher Chope tries to block cat abduction offence

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-68418951

Reporter is Helen Catt.
  • Options

darkage said:

stodge said:

darkage said:

Andy_JS said:

Palestine is where all left-wing prejudices meet.
    We should deport all members of political parties to gaza and have a reset
This discussion has been closed.