Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How will a criminal conviction impact on WH2024? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,879

This says so much about the lack of class with Lee Anderson and Reform.

A fucking Holiday Inn?

Have some dignity, don't lower yourself with a Holiday Inn.

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

Former Tory deputy chairman Lee Anderson held private 'one to one' talks with Richard Tice, the leader of the Reform UK party, at a Holiday Inn hotel, at junction 28 of the M1 in South Normanton, Derbyshire on Sunday, 24 hours after he lost the Tory whip.

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1762525720813736010

Would you have preferred a Premier Inn?
    I always use Premier Inns

Mind you I stayed in a holiday in in Kelowna in Canada when my eldest was married and it was very good
    They do the job, as do Holiday Inn. You *generally* get what you pay for; and what you pay is a heck of a lot less than you pay for the sort of tosserific high-class shitbag of a hotel that @TheScreamingEagles and @Leon appear to love.

We've had one bad experience in a Holiday Inn or Premier Inn; and that was in York when Mrs J was running a marathon and the room flooded the night before. But the (I think solitary) night staff member was very good and, if not sorted the mess out, made it so we could get a reasonable night's sleep.

Compared to B&B's, where we've had tremendous value and some hilariously poor experiences. Or high-class hotels, where you simply don't get what you pay for. Fine if you're on a trip of a lifetime, or on an expenses account, but sh*t if you're paying.

There's a reason why Premier Inn and Holiday Inn exist; and the people who poor scorn on them are just wannabe snobs, and can be ignored as such.
    I ended up using Premier Inn a lot in the year before the pandemic, and I can't say I'd ever choose to stay there if I could avoid it, or pay my own money to do so, but it was for work, and over the course of the year I exhausted all the alternatives in the area and, except for a couple of airbnbs that were rarely available, all the other options were worse.

Conclusion being that the standard of hotel accommodation in suburban London is shockingly low.
    Pb should do an away weekend to Pontins. Three quarters will have left in shock before Saturday morning!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    kle4 said:

How much will a criminal conviction impact Trump? Not as much as the polls suggest it will is my view. He's primed his supporters to believe it is all a hoax, so I don't buy that such a large number will suddenly wake up and realise he is not fit. Especially not when he will already be the nominee (or as good as) by then. They know, as the GOP knows, that they will certainly lose if they junk him, and enough despise Biden to keep most of his voters with him even post conviction.

Add to that he almost certainly won't be convicted in the Georgia case or the Mar-a-Lago case by the time of the election, because they will probably be delayed to post or during election (we shall find out soon apparently about the MAL case, but the motions are such that there is not really time). The DC election interference case might possibly get to trial by the late summer, but that's not certain yet depending how long the Supreme Court takes. And the New York case is apparently the weakest of the cases, so I don't think anyone can be super confident that he will be convicted.

Georgia is more likely to happen before November than you suggest. The Supreme Court are due to pronounce this week on Trump's bizarre "absolute immunity" claim - probably waiting on a dissenting judgment. Once he has no immunity, Georgia goes ahead.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,198

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

Former Tory deputy chairman Lee Anderson held private 'one to one' talks with Richard Tice, the leader of the Reform UK party, at a Holiday Inn hotel, at junction 28 of the M1 in South Normanton, Derbyshire on Sunday, 24 hours after he lost the Tory whip.

Mind you I stayed in a holiday in in Kelowna in Canada when my eldest was married and it was very good
    They do the job, as do Holiday Inn. You *generally* get what you pay for; and what you pay is a heck of a lot less than you pay for the sort of tosserific high-class shitbag of a hotel that @TheScreamingEagles and @Leon appear to love.

We've had one bad experience in a Holiday Inn or Premier Inn; and that was in York when Mrs J was running a marathon and the room flooded the night before. But the (I think solitary) night staff member was very good and, if not sorted the mess out, made it so we could get a reasonable night's sleep.

Compared to B&B's, where we've had tremendous value and some hilariously poor experiences. Or high-class hotels, where you simply don't get what you pay for. Fine if you're on a trip of a lifetime, or on an expenses account, but sh*t if you're paying.

There's a reason why Premier Inn and Holiday Inn exist; and the people who poor scorn on them are just wannabe snobs, and can be ignored as such.
    Yeah Premier Inn is the business. Comfy bed, nice breakfast, parking, what else do you need?
    A good concierge service for starters.
    What even is that? I've always seen these concierge desks next to check in, in fancy hotels I stay in for work, and never understood what they do.
    Will get you tickets for shows/events that are sold out, ditto restaurant reservations.

They are the guys I ring before my romantic stays at a hotel.

Recently they helped ensure there were 144 roses, chocolates, etc in our room for our Valentine's Day long weekend.
    Thanks, you've confirmed I have no use for their services.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,257

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

I ended up using Premier Inn a lot in the year before the pandemic, and I can't say I'd ever choose to stay there if I could avoid it, or pay my own money to do so, but it was for work, and over the course of the year I exhausted all the alternatives in the area and, except for a couple of airbnbs that were rarely available, all the other options were worse.

Conclusion being that the standard of hotel accommodation in suburban London is shockingly low.
    Pb should do an away weekend to Pontins. Three quarters will have left in shock before Saturday morning!
    Did a week at the Pontins near Rhyl as a schoolboy in the 90s - on a school geography field trip. Quite the eye-opener, and it's not like we were posh.
  • Options

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

Yeah Premier Inn is the business. Comfy bed, nice breakfast, parking, what else do you need?
    What even is that? I've always seen these concierge desks next to check in, in fancy hotels I stay in for work, and never understood what they do.
    Will get you tickets for shows/events that are sold out, ditto restaurant reservations.

Recently they helped ensure there were 144 roses, chocolates, etc in our room for our Valentine's Day long weekend.
    One time I forgot to bring my suit, they arranged for a tailor to visit me in the hotel and provide me with a quality suit within 4 hours.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086

kle4 said:

How much will a criminal conviction impact Trump? Not as much as the polls suggest it will is my view. He's primed his supporters to believe it is all a hoax, so I don't buy that such a large number will suddenly wake up and realise he is not fit. Especially not when he will already be the nominee (or as good as) by then. They know, as the GOP knows, that they will certainly lose if they junk him, and enough despise Biden to keep most of his voters with him even post conviction.

Add to that he almost certainly won't be convicted in the Georgia case or the Mar-a-Lago case by the time of the election, because they will probably be delayed to post or during election (we shall find out soon apparently about the MAL case, but the motions are such that there is not really time). The DC election interference case might possibly get to trial by the late summer, but that's not certain yet depending how long the Supreme Court takes. And the New York case is apparently the weakest of the cases, so I don't think anyone can be super confident that he will be convicted.

Georgia is more likely to happen before November than you suggest. The Supreme Court are due to pronounce this week on Trump's bizarre "absolute immunity" claim - probably waiting on a dissenting judgment. Once he has no immunity, Georgia goes ahead.
    Hasn't the DA there (dealing with her own stuff right now too) suggests she needs months for that case though, and was looking to start late Summer? So conviction pre election would still be challenging.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,505

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

In the nominations for worst hotel in the country I offer up the Halifax Travelodge. The address should be a giveaway: Gate 9, Dean Clough Industrial Park.

Tbf I haven't had the dubious pleasure of staying there recently but when I did stay, if you made the mistake of including breakfast they gave that to you in a carrier bag at check-in, and it included a long-life 'bread' roll, tub of cereal, UHT milk, and some other shite.
    That's par for the course for travelodge. Definitely a budget option. I know someone who quit a company because they asked them to stay at a travelodge when travelling for work.
  • Options
    ajbajb Posts: 124
    edited February 27
    Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

@Jim_Miller

I would advise anyone going to a job interview to avoid anything advertising political or personal beliefs: no LBG flag, no gang motif, no crucifix or Star of David, no BLM badge, no extinction rebellion or anything else.

Someone's personal beliefs and hobbies are their own. If someone feels the need to advertise them, irrespective of what they are, raises the question with me of you are more committed to the job, or to something else.

And my job is to hire people who are going to devote themselves 100% to the success of my enterprise. To do anything else is to anywhere abrogate my responsibility to my shareholders.

I don't think your "responsibility to your shareholders" would hold up in court as a defence against unlawful direct discrimination.

My old boss used to tell the story of interviewing someone who volunteered, during the interview, that they were a furry. Which he then had to try not to be distracted by for the rest of the interview. Fortunately there were enough obvious other, work related reasons that they weren't a match, that he didn't need to worry about the question of avoiding discrimination. But why would you mention that in an interview? Apart from anything else, it makes it hard to focus on anything you said afterwards.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,976

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

One time I forgot to bring my suit, they arranged for a tailor to visit me in the hotel and provide me with a quality suit within 4 hours.
    Which cost how much, to the nearest bag of sand?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

The John Wick series explains it well
    "Yeah... not really!"
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,878
    Paging PB Neolibs:

Polling by DeltaPoll for Channel 4 News suggests that three quarters of voters want to see taxes retained where they are now, or increased, because they care more about funding public services. In its summary of the findings C4 News says:

The poll of 1,500 UK voters, conducted between 23-26 February is released today ahead of the spring budget 2024 next week.
    The new data shows that more than four in ten respondents (41%) believed that taxes and public spending should be kept at the level they are now. A further third (34%) said they would like to see taxes increased with greater spending on public services, while one in seven (14%) believed that taxes and public spending should be reduced. Among Conservative voters, that figure rose only marginally to one in six (17%).
    When asked to rank a list of economic priorities, voters placed cutting taxes fourth (11%), after growing the economy (23%), reducing inflation (22%), and investing in public service (12%), with 8% choosing to prioritise reducing the national debt, a cornerstone of shadow chancellor Rachel Reeves’ economic policy.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2024/feb/27/lee-anderson-sadiq-khan-conservatives-islamophobia-post-office-uk-politics-live
  • Options
    carnforth said:

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

Did a week at the Pontins near Rhyl as a schoolboy in the 90s - on a school geography field trip. Quite the eye-opener, and it's not like we were posh.
    They have not improved.....
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,614

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

144 roses? That's gross.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Hasn't the DA there (dealing with her own stuff right now too) suggests she needs months for that case though, and was looking to start late Summer? So conviction pre election would still be challenging.
    She has said she will put off her holidays to make herself available in July. Plenty of time to prepare the case for that start and get jury selection sorted.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

I think it was £1,200.
  • Options

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

144 roses? That's gross.
    Indeed.

I am a hopeless romantic.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,479
    nico679 said:

TimS said:

nico679 said:

tlg86 said:

Has Guido got Rayner in a corner?

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1762528491528929519

@GuidoFawkes
    Let me explain the confusion; box 10 is where she originally registered the birth and can't be changed. She got married and now was re-registering the birth with her married surname and her new address in box 13.

Sorry, what is the problem?
    The problem is the right wing press are desperate .
    Isn't it a question of her paying capital gains tax on a non-primary residence? Something a lot of MPs were done for during the expenses scandal.
    If that’s true then she is out. If.
    Maybe it was a genuine mistake when filling out the form . It does seem strange to run this story months before an election . You’d think if it was so explosive they’d save it for nearer the time .
    I dont get it. I am probably being thick.

What is Q10? The usual address of whom? It looks like the usual address of the mother but that doesn't seem right. If it is then she entered two different on same form, so why didn't the registar say something when she went to hand it in?

• Options

Zoë Grünewald
    @zoe_grunewald
    ·
    16m
    What did I find in Rochdale? A town demanding a politician who will put their interests for once. Palpable anger with the Labour council. Missing candidates. And the workers party, who sent the @Independent
    away after just one door-knock.

https://independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/rochdale-by-election-gaza-galloway-ali-b2501449.html

https://twitter.com/zoe_grunewald/status/1762545591580549348
  • Options

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

144 roses? That's gross.
    Indeed.

144 = 12 dozen = a gross. But now I've had to explain it, it's rubbish.
  • Options

nico679 said:

TimS said:

nico679 said:

tlg86 said:

@GuidoFawkes
    Let me explain the confusion; box 10 is where she originally registered the birth and can't be changed. She got married and now was re-registering the birth with her married surname and her new address in box 13.

Isn't it a question of her paying capital gains tax on a non-primary residence? Something a lot of MPs were done for during the expenses scandal.
    Maybe it was a genuine mistake when filling out the form . It does seem strange to run this story months before an election . You’d think if it was so explosive they’d save it for nearer the time .

What is Q10? The usual address of whom? It looks like the usual address of the mother but that doesn't seem right. If it is then she entered two different on same form, so why didn't the registar say something when she went to hand it in?

"Let me explain the confusion; box 10 is where she originally registered the birth and can't be changed. She got married and now was re-registering the birth with her married surname and her new address in box 13."
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,505

nico679 said:

TimS said:

nico679 said:

tlg86 said:

@GuidoFawkes

It's the address she put on the form when she first registered the birth in 2009. From a comment it then seems she married the father, and so reregistered the birth, or updated the registration, in 2010, at which point she gave a different address, presumably they'd moved, don't know, don't care.

I guess it then depends on which of these two properties were sold, and when, and whether capital gains tax should have been paid on the sale, and whether this shines any light on the matter.
  • Options

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

144 roses? That's gross.
    Indeed.

144 = 12 dozen = a gross. But now I've had to explain it, it's rubbish.
    Oh I got it.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

nico679 said:

TimS said:

nico679 said:

tlg86 said:

@GuidoFawkes

"Let me explain the confusion; box 10 is where she originally registered the birth and can't be changed. She got married and now was re-registering the birth with her married surname and her new address in box 13."
    So what?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,688
    Scott_xP said:

The John Wick series explains it well
    The dry cleaning was only 3/5
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,976
    edited February 27

nico679 said:

TimS said:

nico679 said:

tlg86 said:

@GuidoFawkes

It's the address she put on the form when she first registered the birth in 2009. From a comment it then seems she married the father, and so reregistered the birth, or updated the registration, in 2010, at which point she gave a different address, presumably they'd moved, don't know, don't care.

I guess it then depends on which of these two properties were sold, and when, and whether capital gains tax should have been paid on the sale, and whether this shines any light on the matter.
    It’s 2009 again, and we’re debating MPs’ expenses!
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,076

Paging PB Neolibs:

Polling by DeltaPoll for Channel 4 News suggests that three quarters of voters want to see taxes retained where they are now, or increased, because they care more about funding public services. In its summary of the findings C4 News says:

The poll of 1,500 UK voters, conducted between 23-26 February is released today ahead of the spring budget 2024 next week.
    The new data shows that more than four in ten respondents (41%) believed that taxes and public spending should be kept at the level they are now. A further third (34%) said they would like to see taxes increased with greater spending on public services, while one in seven (14%) believed that taxes and public spending should be reduced. Among Conservative voters, that figure rose only marginally to one in six (17%).
    When asked to rank a list of economic priorities, voters placed cutting taxes fourth (11%), after growing the economy (23%), reducing inflation (22%), and investing in public service (12%), with 8% choosing to prioritise reducing the national debt, a cornerstone of shadow chancellor Rachel Reeves’ economic policy.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2024/feb/27/lee-anderson-sadiq-khan-conservatives-islamophobia-post-office-uk-politics-live

I fear Labour are going to say they’ll keep any Tory tax cuts if elected and that will cause huge problems for non protected public services . Reeves obsession with the debt and refusal to leave some room for tax increases on higher earners is going to cause a host of problems .
  • Options

carnforth said:

nico679 said:

TimS said:

nico679 said:

tlg86 said:

@GuidoFawkes

So what?
    Apparently it pertains to where her ordinary residence was, and therefore whether cap gains was due on the sale of the council flat.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,607
    edited February 27
    scooped by ydoethur
  • Options
    ajb said:

Chris said:

rcs1000 said:

@Jim_Miller

I would advise anyone going to a job interview to avoid anything advertising political or personal beliefs: no LBG flag, no gang motif, no crucifix or Star of David, no BLM badge, no extinction rebellion or anything else.

Someone's personal beliefs and hobbies are their own. If someone feels the need to advertise them, irrespective of what they are, raises the question with me of you are more committed to the job, or to something else.

And my job is to hire people who are going to devote themselves 100% to the success of my enterprise. To do anything else is to anywhere abrogate my responsibility to my shareholders.

I don't think your "responsibility to your shareholders" would hold up in court as a defence against unlawful direct discrimination.
    My old boss used to tell the story of interviewing someone who volunteered, during the interview, that they were a furry. Which he then had to try not to be distracted by for the rest of the interview. Fortunately there were enough obvious other, work related reasons that they weren't a match, that he didn't need to worry about the question of avoiding discrimination. But why would you mention that in an interview? Apart from anything else, it makes it hard to focus on anything you said afterwards.
    Had to look 'a furry' up, which I did with some trepidation, but not as bad as I feared.

Odd, and a strange thing to offer up at an interview. Not a protected characteristic though, so no risk of discrimination.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Paging PB Neolibs:

I fear Labour are going to say they’ll keep any Tory tax cuts if elected and that will cause huge problems for non protected public services . Reeves obsession with the debt and refusal to leave some room for tax increases on higher earners is going to cause a host of problems .
    An example of one party setting the agenda for the next. Who does that more successfully? The Tories economically for Labour, or Labour socially for the Tories?
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,868
    edited February 27

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

Do they arrange the "company" for the "romantic stay"?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,963

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

144 chocolates ?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,397

kle4 said:

He's on tape trying to intimidate officials into fixing the vote in his favour. A 'perfect phone call' he says, in bullying gangster mode. Yes it is. It's perfect for the prosecution. He'll have Georgia on his mind without a doubt. State not Federal, so forget about the 'pardon myself' nonsense.

Bottom line is the USA will have lost all respect for itself if it somehow re-elects this ignorant cruel narcissistic deceitful exploitative misogynistic shambles of a man for another go at trashing the place. I refuse to believe they will.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Paging PB Neolibs:

Maybe. Personally, I hope Labour are simply being coy about tax rises, which will have to come imo.

Reeves' obsession with the debt, if true, is not a reason to avoid tax rises - quite the opposite.
  • Options

Incidentally, one of the things I love about staying in cheap hotels is talking to the staff and/or the other guests during breakfast. They're often fascinating.

As an example, in North Wales I once met some blokes from Newcastle who worked for BT. Apparently every year inner-city engineers have to work for a week or so in the countryside, to get used to working on overhead lines, whilst countryside-based engineers go to the city to work on underground lines. I got the impression it was a bot of a jolly for them.

People are so fascinating.

My eldest was a BT engineer 30 years ago working here in the North Wales countryside and mountains
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

144 chocolates ?
    Is 100 close enough?

https://www.rococochocolates.com/products/an-extravagance-of-chocolates
  • Options
    edited February 27
    Labour seem to think they have to keep telling everyone how fiscally responsible they are . Times have changed , the Tories can’t lecture anyone about the economy and the public aren’t obsessed with tax cuts .

Reeves seriously gets on my nerves . We don’t want a Tory chancellor ! She needs to remember what party she’s in .
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

144 chocolates ?
    And 144 etceteras too?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,213

nico679 said:

TimS said:

nico679 said:

tlg86 said:

@GuidoFawkes

The first address on Vicarage Road is the council house that she purchased.

The second address is her husband's house which she says she never lived at even after they got married:

https://twitter.com/AngelaRayner/status/1762219592095563994

@AngelaRayner
    We mutually decided to maintain our existing residences to reflect our circumstances.

Every family is different but it worked for us and we brought up our boys in a caring environment, surrounded by love.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,039

nico679 said:

tlg86 said:

@GuidoFawkes

Depends on the timings; one is allowed a certain period of time. And in any case how do the newspapers get at tax records one way or another?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,428
    edited February 27
    carnforth said:

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

Pontins in Prestatyn closed suddenly in November 2023

https://www.rhyljournal.co.uk/news/23972694.pontins-explains-prestatyn-sands-holiday-park-closed/
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,153
    Am I the only person on here who talks to strangers in hotels?

And at the swimming pool, or at the supermarket checkout, or just when out and about in public...
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,607
    edited February 27

Incidentally, one of the things I love about staying in cheap hotels is talking to the staff and/or the other guests during breakfast. They're often fascinating.

As an example, in North Wales I once met some blokes from Newcastle who worked for BT. Apparently every year inner-city engineers have to work for a week or so in the countryside, to get used to working on overhead lines, whilst countryside-based engineers go to the city to work on underground lines. I got the impression it was a bot of a jolly for them.

Presumably so that when the chips are down, all hands are on deck. One reason the electricity was back on so soon after the great storm of 1987 was the CEGB bussed down hundreds of engineers from up north to the home counties.
  • Options

carnforth said:

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

Pontins in Prestatyn closed suddenly in November 2023

https://www.rhyljournal.co.uk/news/23972694.pontins-explains-prestatyn-sands-holiday-park-closed/
    Surprised it lasted that long. A week there or a week in Alicante for not much more? No contest.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Labour seem to think they have to keep telling everyone how fiscally responsible they are . Times have changed , the Tories can’t lecture anyone about the economy and the public aren’t obsessed with tax cuts .

Reeves seriously gets on my nerves . We don’t want a Tory chancellor ! She needs to remember what party she’s in .

She is terrified of the Truss effect
  • Options
    carnforth said:

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

Rhyl. Nothing like Australia.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOBhf8f7cXM
  • Options
    More trouble for the Tories .

Accusations that sexual assault allegations are not being properly investigated against a sitting MP.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

More trouble for the Tories .

Accusations that sexual assault allegations are not being properly investigated against a sitting MP.

Probably tickled the wrong box.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,366

Paging PB Neolibs:

We’ve got to tax the bankers bonuses to fund rNHS. 👍
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,256

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

tell you where to get hookers and blow basically
  • Options

Presumably so that when the chips are down, all hands are on deck. One reason the electricity was back on so soon after the great storm of 1987 was the CEGB bussed down hundreds of engineers from up north to the home counties.
    That was exactly it. They jokingly described something like not remembering how to get the ladder down off the top of the van, because they never needed it in the city. Probably an exaggeration, but makes sense to an extent.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,537

nico679 said:

Yes, and isnt it ever so ironic that it took a Tory leader, voted for by Tory members, to prove the foolhardiness of trying to buck the markets….
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

nico679 said:

Yes, and isnt it ever so ironic that it took a Tory leader, voted for by Tory members, to prove the foolhardiness of trying to buck the markets….
    And a former Lib Dem
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,896

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

I once had the rather lovely east European receptionist come into my bedroom at 2am at the morning at the Dean Clough Travelodge. Now that's what I call concierge service.

Disappointingly she had got the wrong room and had come in to what she thought was an empty room for a kip. I don't know who was more surprised.

Next morning she was deeply embarrassed, and rather relieved when I made it clear I had no intention of reporting the event to her managers.
    The thing you miss out is how long she stayed in your room…
  • Options
    edited February 27

nico679 said:

TimS said:

nico679 said:

tlg86 said:

@GuidoFawkes

"It's the address she put on the form when she first registered the birth in 2009"

Is it?

That's what Guido says it is. But that's not what the form says. The form asks for the address if different to place of childbirth (not clear whose) and then at 13 asks for the address of the informant (in this case the mother).

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,802
    edited February 27

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

I wonder if he meant it to leak.

That's within about 3 miles of where he grew up, and his school; there will be multiple people working there who knew him in the 1970s / 1980s.

As Holiday Inns go, that one's OK - it was built by someone else as a 4*. Corporate, but comfortable. Bloody stupid place for a confidential meeting.

Go up one Junction to 27, and he could have had a former Dakota hotel, by David Coulthard, if those are OK. I think there was one there.
  • Options

That was exactly it. They jokingly described something like not remembering how to get the ladder down off the top of the van, because they never needed it in the city. Probably an exaggeration, but makes sense to an extent.
    And I doubt they carried their ladder for miles across fields, rivers and hills to get to the source of the fault and in terrible weather at times
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,397
    edited February 27
    nico679 said:

I know what you mean but until the poll lead becomes a GE win the watchword is Risk - as in keep it to an absolute minimum.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

I think it was £1,200.
    £1,200? Just think of the number of train rides I could have bought with that :lol:
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,008
    edited February 27
    carnforth said:

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

I lost my virginity at Pontins at Squires Gate Blackpool a wee while ago. It's quite a story which I won't tell here.

It was in the early 60s.
  • Options
    edited February 27

And at the swimming pool, or at the supermarket checkout, or just when out and about in public...

You're not that nutter on the bus ?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,912
    Evening all :)

This may sound callous but there will be those more concerned about the health of CONSTITUTION HILL than King Charles III this evening. The Champion Hurdle favourite scoped dirty after a poor piece of work at Kempton and it's going to be the proverbial "race against time" to get the horsr ready for the big race a fortnight day.

Kempton is on the border of Greater London and Surrey and today's released YouGov polling for Queen Mary College shows London remains a solidly Labour city. Sadiq Khan leads his Conservative rival Susan Hall by 25 points (49-24) in polling for the Mayoral election on May 2nd which, some would have us believe, will also be polling day in the General Election.

This is very similar to the leads Khan enjoyed over Shaun Bailey in early March 2021 polling but in the end Khan's final majority was less than five points so plenty of caution advised. Conservative strength in the spring and early summer of 2021 in London wasn't picked up until quite late and I remember the Conservative candidate in the East Ham Central by election polling 30%.

Then, of course, the Conservatives were 9-10 points ahead in the national polls, not 20 points behind and I'm struggling to see how the changed national dynamics are going to help Hall. Of course, were a GE to occur on May 2nd it would increase turnout but that would in London favour Khan.

The 21% of Undecided voters could close the building if they moved en bloc to the Conservatives but there's no evidence of that and it may well be many will stay at London or vote for one of the minor party candidates.

In any case, the Queen Mary College sponsored poll had even worse news for the Conservatives at Westminster level with Labour leading 52-17 and 10% backing each of the LDs, Greens and Reform. The main move has been to Reform which is four points higher than the last poll.

In December 2019, London voted 48% Labour, 32% Conservative and 15% Liberal Democrat so the swing is 9.5% to Labour. With changed boundaries, it's not easy to predict but we could end up with the number of Conservative MPs in London down to single figures.

We can see Hall enjoys greater support than the Conservatives and that's interesting while Khan polls about where Labour is and the minor party Mayoral candidates are slightly behind their parties.
  • Options

nico679 said:

The Truss Effect . I like it , at least the poor thing will have a claim to fame when they’re teaching economics.
  • Options
    Apple has canceled its electric car project after working on it for nearly 10 years.

Apple made the disclosure internally Tuesday, surprising the nearly 2,000 employees working on the project.

https://twitter.com/SawyerMerritt/status/1762555106313048099
  • Options
    edited February 27
    Nigelb said:

As an American pointed out to me in a dirty little bar in Granada, it's hard to get a Briton to begin talking. But once they start...
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,666
    edited February 27
    Whatever the HoC has just done, the smart politicalbetting position is there are no further by elections this parliament.

The Tory government, correctly, will rule anymore as too close to the General Election to waste money on, regardless when it comes.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,806
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

The Truss Effect . I like it , at least the poor thing will have a claim to fame when they’re teaching economics.
    Only Truss can do the Truss effect properly. It is in fact the only thing she can do properly.

(She had all the rope in the world, which was a mistake, because she chose to hang everybody)
  • Options

Whatever the HoC has just done, the smart politicalbetting position is there are no further by elections this parliament.

The Tory government, correctly, will rule anymore as too close to the General Election to waste money on, regardless when it comes.

I don’t think they can, until either the date is set, or parliament is in its last six months?
  • Options
    Lady Gabriella Marina Alexandra Ophelia Kingston Has died aged 42. Is most likely what is affecting William today 😢
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Apple has canceled its electric car project after working on it for nearly 10 years.

Apple made the disclosure internally Tuesday, surprising the nearly 2,000 employees working on the project.

TBF I thought that was cancelled a couple of years ago. Was it ever officially announced?
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,806

Sandpit said:

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

I think it was £1,200.
    £1,200? Just think of the number of train rides I could have bought with that :lol:
    Not very many!

• Options
    edited February 27
    IanB2 said:

I don’t think they can, until either the date is set, or parliament is in its last six months?
    I’ll hand over to the PB experts 🙂 didn’t Labour hold off for years in the 70s? The weirdo bloke who went missing.
  • Options
    edited February 27

Sandpit said:

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

I think it was £1,200.
    About a third of one:

Fares: London to Venice or Verona From £3,353

https://www.seat61.com/venice-simplon-orient-express.htm
  • Options

Lady Gabriella Marina Alexandra Ophelia Kingston Has died aged 42. Is most likely what is affecting William today 😢

Her husband I think?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,008
    edited February 27

It's her husband Thomas who has died aged 45.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Shame. Would have been interesting to see what they came up with. But probably the right move for the company in general. Stock up 0.8% on the news.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Shame. Would have been interesting to see what they came up with. But probably the right move for the company in general. Stock up 0.8% on the news.
    Good to see Apple focusing on its core business.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

It's her husband Thomas who has died aged 45.
    Yes husband. 😥
  • Options

Nigelb said:

You pipped me to it.
  • Options

Media are saying it is not related to William's issue
  • Options

nico679 said:

If she's terrified of the Truss Effect, even more reason to raise taxes to improve public services while reducing debt.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

You pipped me to it.
    You are going to pad this out with punning?
  • Options
    edited February 27

IanB2 said:

I’ll hand over to the PB experts 🙂 didn’t Labour hold off for years in the 70s? The weirdo bloke who went missing.
    Convention is that the defending party moves the writ, but if they take the **** the convention can be (and, I vaguely recall, has been) broken. Going missing isn’t sufficient to call a by-election, sadly, as otherwise that lying clown would have been gone much earlier.
  • Options
    Ex Blair advisor to Social Market think tank. The prep for a Starmer government goes on...

Theo Bertram
    @theobertram
    ·
    4h
    After 14 years in the technology sector working on global public policy issues, I am looking forward to returning to UK politics and public policy. Starting in May, I’m excited to be joining the
    @SMFthinktank
    as its new Director.

https://twitter.com/theobertram/status/1762493500418080777
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,014

Nigelb said:

Generating colossal amounts of cash ?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

You pipped me to it.
    You are going to pad this out with punning?
    Yes, iPad when I want to.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,202
    Nigelb said:

It's no longer necessary now that you can put on a headset and pretend to travel.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

carnforth said:

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

I lost my virginity at Pontins at Squires Gate Blackpool a wee while ago. It's quite a story which I won't tell here.

It was in the early 60s.
    That's quite an age to be losing your virginity!

Oh sorry, you mean the 1960s.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,635

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

In the nominations for worst hotel in the country I offer up the Halifax Travelodge. The address should be a giveaway: Gate 9, Dean Clough Industrial Park.

Tbf I haven't had the dubious pleasure of staying there recently but when I did stay, if you made the mistake of including breakfast they gave that to you in a carrier bag at check-in, and it included a long-life 'bread' roll, tub of cereal, UHT milk, and some other shite.
    Travelodges where they do proper breakfast are fine. The carrier bag sort are, yes, awful.

There is something about Premier Inn etc breakfasts that are just wonderful, especially if you are not in a hurry and you have space for about 4000 calories to last you the day. They are slightly special, considering how down market the whole thing is, while dinners are, at best, very ordinary.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

Generating colossal amounts of cash ?
    Pruning a non core business.
  • Options

If it is William helping out family in this difficult moment for them, it would mean the utter rubbish discussion on PB earlier today was wrong utter rubbish.
  • Options

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    3h
    Trump is still leading Biden in every single swing state.

https://twitter.com/FrankLuntz/status/1762511985705681138
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Convention is that the defending party moves the writ, but if they take the **** the convention can be (and, I vaguely recall, has been) broken. Going missing isn’t sufficient to call a by-election, sadly, as otherwise that lying clown would have been gone much earlier.
    We might be getting weirdo missing blokes muddled?
  • Options

Ex Blair advisor to Social Market think tank. The prep for a Starmer government goes on...

Theo Bertram
    @theobertram
    ·
    4h
    After 14 years in the technology sector working on global public policy issues, I am looking forward to returning to UK politics and public policy. Starting in May, I’m excited to be joining the
    @SMFthinktank
    as its new Director.

https://twitter.com/theobertram/status/1762493500418080777

The centrist dad equivalent of Tufton Street?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Hey, I once met a gf on a D6 bus. It was winter ?93?, and the bus slid on ice coming up to Mile End and hit a lamppost. We all had to get off early. I'd occasionally chatted to a very nice lady, and I leant her my umbrella as she had a longer walk to her work. I said she could give it me back when she saw me next on the bus, but she asked for my phone number and address. :)
  • Options

If it is William helping out family in this difficult moment for them, it would mean the utter rubbish discussion on PB earlier today was wrong utter rubbish.
    Somethings never change !!!!!
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,635

Sandpit said:

A fucking Holiday Inn?

BREAKING on @GBNEWS now,

I think it was £1,200.
    About a third of one:

Fares: London to Venice or Verona From £3,353

https://www.seat61.com/venice-simplon-orient-express.htm
    Plus the chance of meeting Poirot.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,031
    edited February 27

Paging PB Neolibs:

I wonder if they were asked if 'taxes should go up' or if 'their taxes should go up'? Lots of people seem to be happy to see others pay more tax whilst being opposed to their own taxes going up.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,080

Nigelb said:

Pipped at the post
This discussion has been closed.