Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Careless Rishi – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    AverageNinjaAverageNinja Posts: 1,169

"No state is ever denied the right to defend itself". Absolutely, but with strict UN rules of engagement. I would suggest Bibi is probably not following those rules.

Everyone here knows they aren't.
  • Options

You never have but I wasn’t suggesting you were. I was suggesting by not calling me one you were wrong. I absolutely was in my support of Corbyn. He was and is a racist and I was a racist for supporting him. That’s a matter of great shame to me but at least I am honest enough to admit it. So many others have not.

Can Palestinians conceive a state that doesn't want to destroy its neighbour?
    Vile but not unsurprising. Imagine replacing that for Jews and you would rightly be calling me racist.

That’s a line crossed for me. You’re out.
    The Israelis gave they keys to the Gazans nearly twenty ago

They voted for the jew killing terrorists

What makes the next Palestinian state different?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,979
    TimS said:

Taz said:

TimS said:

@TimS

Sorry if this is teaching Granny, but I have a tip for the Yorkshire Pudding.

Sift the plain flour through a sieve into the bowl, but when you do so, hold the sieve well above the bowl. This is not to remove lumps from the flour (you don't get any these days) but it allows air into it. The result is a light, airy pudding which rises pleasantly and gives that neat crust that is to die for.

Apologies if you knew this already.

PS. And don't forget the pinch of salt.

I’ve not tried that. Will do so. I do always use the salt as that makes the surface glossy.

My trick is basically as many eggs as humanly possible, plus one for luck.
    What recipe do you follow ?

I do Mary Berry.

35g flour
    1 egg
    75ml milk

Proportionally.
    TimS “cooking for boys”. I use 6 eggs, a bit of water and a bit of milk, and bung in some flour with a pinch of salt.
    I use soda water, as it makes for a light batter that rises well. Beat in plenty of air and let the mixture rest for a while before using it too, it improves the structure.

Important to have the oil in the baking tray as hot as possible before adding the batter, almost at smoke point.

Fearnley-Whiiingstalls trick of adding chunks of onion and apple to a toad in the hole is a good twist, if non-canonical.

• Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,902
    I can see Galloway winning this on a historically low turnout. I wish I couldn’t.
  • Options

I'm curious how @AverageNinja reconciles the legitimate objective of destroying Hamas with desire to end the conflict.

Israel doesn't need to end the conflict, it needs to win the conflict, that means nowhere in land they control should be safe harbour for Hamas. Not Rafah, not anywhere.

If people want safe refuge away from the conflict, it needs to be outside the warzone. Same as every other war in history.

The conflict will not end long term until Palestine is established, I cannot see how that can possibly be disputed by anyone?

You are absolutely right about Hamas but everything else I think you’re wrong. When David Cameron wants to establish Palestine but not the current Israeli government. Which is why I said that they are not really interested in actually ending the conflict.

Destroying Hamas yes, ending it and ensuring peace, no. Don’t see what is controversial about that.
    You may have missed Sky's report tonight that a ceasefire deal has been agreed by all parties but Netanyahu refuses to agree as it would be the end of him

A two state solution is the only answer but unfortunately it seems further away then ever but to be fair Sunak and Cameron are very much in favour of this answer

It is up the Israeli's to deal with Netanyahu as any outside intervention, other than through diplomacy will only end in more tears
    How could it have been agreed by all parties when the leader of the nation that was attacked hasn't agreed? Isn't the county that was attacked a party to the conflict and doesn't their elected leader get a say on whether an agreement is reached or not?

Considering Hamas hasn't been destroyed yet and the hostages haven't been released yet, it would be very weak of Netanyahu to end the conflict prematurely.
    According to Sky it has been agreed, including by many Israeli's, but Netanyahu is scared of his right wing and will not agree

This is a very volatile position for Netanyahu to be in, and I expect the US and UK and others to lean heavily on him, not least in views of Sunak and Cameron's comments today
    So its not been agreed then.

Agreed is when Israel agrees, following its democratic institutions, not when some Israelis agree.

Israel is a democracy and it has an elected government, saying that Israel agrees to something because some Israelis agree is like saying in 2019 the UK agreed to remain in the EU because that's what Starmer, Swinson and Grieve wanted.
  • Options

"No state is ever denied the right to defend itself". Absolutely, but with strict UN rules of engagement. I would suggest Bibi is probably not following those rules.

Bullshit.

They are.

Name one rule of engagement being broken.
    Name one rule of engagement saying Hamas can't be targeted in Rafah.
    Name one more proportional way of destroying Hamas before this conflict ends than what Israel is doing.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,473

Barty seems to be struggling with that idea.
  • Options

I'm curious how @AverageNinja reconciles the legitimate objective of destroying Hamas with desire to end the conflict.

Israel doesn't need to end the conflict, it needs to win the conflict, that means nowhere in land they control should be safe harbour for Hamas. Not Rafah, not anywhere.

If people want safe refuge away from the conflict, it needs to be outside the warzone. Same as every other war in history.

The conflict will not end long term until Palestine is established, I cannot see how that can possibly be disputed by anyone?

You are absolutely right about Hamas but everything else I think you’re wrong. When David Cameron wants to establish Palestine but not the current Israeli government. Which is why I said that they are not really interested in actually ending the conflict.

Destroying Hamas yes, ending it and ensuring peace, no. Don’t see what is controversial about that.
    You may have missed Sky's report tonight that a ceasefire deal has been agreed by all parties but Netanyahu refuses to agree as it would be the end of him

A two state solution is the only answer but unfortunately it seems further away then ever but to be fair Sunak and Cameron are very much in favour of this answer

It is up the Israeli's to deal with Netanyahu as any outside intervention, other than through diplomacy will only end in more tears
    How could it have been agreed by all parties when the leader of the nation that was attacked hasn't agreed? Isn't the county that was attacked a party to the conflict and doesn't their elected leader get a say on whether an agreement is reached or not?

Considering Hamas hasn't been destroyed yet and the hostages haven't been released yet, it would be very weak of Netanyahu to end the conflict prematurely.
    According to Sky it has been agreed, including by many Israeli's, but Netanyahu is scared of his right wing and will not agree

This is a very volatile position for Netanyahu to be in, and I expect the US and UK and others to lean heavily on him, not least in views of Sunak and Cameron's comments today

Agreed is when Israel agrees, following its democratic institutions, not when some Israelis agree.

Israel is a democracy and it has an elected government, saying that Israel agrees to something because some Israelis agree is like saying in 2019 the UK agreed to remain in the EU because that's what Starmer, Swinson and Grieve wanted.
    Netanyahu is the one blocking a deal and it is upto Israel's allies to continue diplomatic means to make him see sense
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,135
    edited February 12
    DavidL said:

Careless Rishi?

Not the best of timing perhaps.

"We're standing by our candidate who said some terrible things"

What? Really?

"Well no, not really."

So we now have a Parliamentary by election that Labour should walk without a candidate who the party itself can support. Careless would be an extremely generous description. Following on from the Green £28bn it is starting look Starmer really doesn't know what he is doing. And he's not even PM yet.

He's blundering from one U-turn to the next, calculating along the way what decision he thinks is most likely to get him into power. He's not at all bothered about what policies he does or doesn't ditch, or whatever new ones he might make up on the hoof, along the way - and there's no particular reason to suppose he'll be any different as Prime Minister. Just the same as the one we have at the moment, actually. Careering about like a wobbly shopping trolley, with no interest in anything at all except squatting uselessly in Downing Street for as long as possible. It's just about being Prime Minister for the sake of it. Existing, but doing nothing of any conceivable worth.

I don't know what motivates these people, I can only imagine that being Prime Minister is the summit of a political career and they're satisfied with just having made it, seeing how long they can sit there and which of their predecessors they can outlast before getting the boot, and then retiring to write a vacuous and pathetic memoir. Neither use nor ornament, the lot of them.
  • Options

Bullshit.

They are.

Name one more proportional way of destroying Hamas before this conflict ends than what Israel is doing.
    You are being a dick Bart.
  • Options

Netanyahu is the one blocking a deal and it is upto Israel's allies to continue diplomatic means to make him see sense

Probably the first and only time I have ever agreed with this poster.
  • Options

Netanyahu's objective is to destroy Hamas.

The fact Hamas hasn't been destroyed yet blocks a deal.

I am no fan of Netanyahu, and want him gone, but there is not a snowballs chance in hell he should agree to a deal as long as a single Hamas fighter or supporter still lives and fights or supports Hamas in the whole of Gaza unless or until they surrender unconditionally.

Which is the same of what we demanded of the Germans and Japanese. Unconditional surrender.
  • Options

Bullshit.

They are.

He's got a massive blind-spot. To not be able to call out Netanyahu's appalling actions over many years is enough evidence of that.

Not a problem for me, he's appalling, Hamas are appalling. Hamas more appalling.
  • Options

Trouble is that Netanyahu seeing sense is the end of his politcal career, at best. And the worst case scenario involves a long visit to one of those funny hotels with bars on the windows.

Strong incentive not to see sense under those circumstances.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,943
    Foxy said:

TimS said:

Taz said:

TimS said:

@TimS

Sift the plain flour through a sieve into the bowl, but when you do so, hold the sieve well above the bowl. This is not to remove lumps from the flour (you don't get any these days) but it allows air into it. The result is a light, airy pudding which rises pleasantly and gives that neat crust that is to die for.

I’ve not tried that. Will do so. I do always use the salt as that makes the surface glossy.

I do Mary Berry.

35g flour
    1 egg
    75ml milk

Proportionally.
    TimS “cooking for boys”. I use 6 eggs, a bit of water and a bit of milk, and bung in some flour with a pinch of salt.
    I use soda water, as it makes for a light batter that rises well. Beat in plenty of air and let the mixture rest for a while before using it too, it improves the structure.

Important to have the oil in the baking tray as hot as possible before adding the batter, almost at smoke point.

Fearnley-Whiiingstalls trick of adding chunks of onion and apple to a toad in the hole is a good twist, if non-canonical.

6-egg hole mix ready for tomorrow (always good to leave it a day in the fridge). This is a mix of t65 and t45 flour.

Allergen-packed. I should really add some peanuts to go with the gluten, dairy and eggs.
  • Options

Bullshit.

They are.

Why?

Because you can't answer my questions?
    Because I speak an uncomfortable truth.

I have said from day one of this conflict that Hamas need to be destroyed and eliminated. That every Hamas fighter and supporter needs to be killed unless or until Hamas surrenders unconditionally. Just as has happened with prior existential conflicts.

Nothing has changed to make me waver from those principles.

Israel has an absolute right to follow through on those objectives in the most proportional way possible. They are doing so. As long as they continue to do so, as long as anyone still fights for or supports Hamas, then I will stand by that view.
  • Options

Bullshit.

They are.

Why?

I have said from day one of this conflict that Hamas need to be destroyed and eliminated. That every Hamas fighter and supporter needs to be killed unless or until Hamas surrenders unconditionally. Just as has happened with prior existential conflicts.

Israel has an absolute right to follow through on those objectives in the most proportional way possible. They are doing so. As long as they continue to do so, as long as anyone still fights for or supports Hamas, then I will stand by that view.
    You can say all of this and say that the Israeli Government is appalling. Literally nobody thinks they are anything but. Biden today called their leader an "asshole". He is right.
  • Options

Trouble is that Netanyahu seeing sense is the end of his politcal career, at best. And the worst case scenario involves a long visit to one of those funny hotels with bars on the windows.

Certainly that is true but it cannot continue indefinitely
  • Options

Bullshit.

They are.

He's got a massive blind-spot. To not be able to call out Netanyahu's appalling actions over many years is enough evidence of that.

Not a problem for me, he's appalling, Hamas are appalling. Hamas more appalling.
    Excuse me.

I can and have called out Netanyahu's appalling actions over many years.

Doesn't mean he's wrong here though. Even a broken clock can be right.

Also doesn't mean that he's a fascist. I dislike him, but I'm not so juvenile as to call everyone I dislike a fascist.
  • Options

I'd hate to foster agreement with a poster who wants the democratically elected Israeli government "removed" by "The West"

I ask again; how and by whom?
  • Options
    TimS said:

Foxy said:

TimS said:

Taz said:

TimS said:

@TimS

I do Mary Berry.

35g flour
    1 egg
    75ml milk

Proportionally.

6-egg hole mix ready for tomorrow (always good to leave it a day in the fridge). This is a mix of t65 and t45 flour.

Allergen-packed. I should really add some peanuts to go with the gluten, dairy and eggs.
    And tahini and fish.

Very glad not to be doing an allegen study any more.
  • Options

Bullshit.

They are.

It's an equality of appalling. Hamas in terms of their butchery, Bibi by dint of sheer numbers.
  • Options

Bullshit.

They are.

Why?

You can say all of this and say that the Israeli Government is appalling. Literally nobody thinks they are anything but. Biden today called their leader an "asshole". He is right.
    Netanyahu is an asshole.

Israel should continue fighting.

Hamas need to be destroyed.

Palestinians do not have a right to a state today.

All of these are true.

Hopefully in the future Israel will be led by a leader who's not an asshole.

Hopefully in the future Palestinians and Catalans and Kurds will have a state of their own.

But the immediate priority is the destruction of Hamas.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819
    TimS said:

Taz said:

TimS said:

@TimS

I do Mary Berry.

35g flour
    1 egg
    75ml milk

Proportionally.
    Flour-and-sausage omelette, by TimS.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,245
    pigeon said:

DavidL said:

Careless Rishi?

What? Really?

"Well no, not really."

So we now have a Parliamentary by election that Labour should walk without a candidate who the party itself can support. Careless would be an extremely generous description. Following on from the Green £28bn it is starting look Starmer really doesn't know what he is doing. And he's not even PM yet.

He's blundering from one U-turn to the next, calculating along the way what decision he thinks is most likely to get him into power. He's not at all bothered about what policies he does or doesn't ditch, or whatever new ones he might make up on the hoof, along the way - and there's no particular reason to suppose he'll be any different as Prime Minister. Just the same as the one we have at the moment, actually. Careering about like a wobbly shopping trolley, with no interest in anything at all except squatting uselessly in Downing Street for as long as possible. It's just about being Prime Minister for the sake of it. Existing, but doing nothing of any conceivable worth.

I don't know what motivates these people, I can only imagine that being Prime Minister is the summit of a political career and they're satisfied with just having made it, seeing how long they can sit there and which of their predecessors they can outlast before getting the boot, and then retiring to write a vacuous and pathetic memoir. Neither use nor ornament, the lot of them.
    It's quite possible the LAB lead really falls away as people focus on the election. They will probably still win but could be as close as 38 - 32. There really is no real enthusiasm for LAB.
  • Options

Bullshit.

They are.

Excuse me.

Also doesn't mean that he's a fascist. I dislike him, but I'm not so juvenile as to call everyone I dislike a fascist.
    I don't call everyone I don't like a fascist. But he fulfils all the criteria for being one. He has the same tendencies as Putin.

I have not seen you once ever call out anything Netanyahu has done as bad in this conflict. Not one.
  • Options

Next Knesset elections are due in October 2026.
  • Options

Netanyahu is an asshole.

All of these are true.

Hopefully in the future Palestinians and Catalans and Kurds will have a state of their own.

I think they absolutely do. Not with Hamas involved of course but it is essential that they be allowed to have a state of their own.
  • Options

Bullshit.

They are.

Excuse me.

I don't call everyone I don't like a fascist. But he fulfils all the criteria for being one. He has the same tendencies as Putin.

I have not seen you once ever call out anything Netanyahu has done as bad in this conflict. Not one.
    He's done bad things prior to this conflict and I wanted him to lose the last election.

I don't think he's done bad things in this conflict so have had nothing to call out. That's like demanding I call out Zelensky. What for?
  • Options
    We're back onto beergate levels of "this is the end of Keir Starmer" I see.
  • Options

Netanyahu is an asshole.

All of these are true.

I think they absolutely do. Not with Hamas involved of course but it is essential that they be allowed to have a state of their own.
    Why?

Do the Kurds?
    Do the Basques?
    Do the Tamils?
    Do the Catalans?

Or is it only the Palestinians?
  • Options

Netanyahu is an asshole.

All of these are true.

Why?

Do the Kurds?
    Do the Basques?
    Do the Tamils?
    Do the Catalans?

I think the conflict will only end with the establishment of a Palestinian state. That much was clear before Hamas's terrible actions.

Right now the Israeli Government are creating more death, more destruction in the long term by denying their right to ever exist.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,510

I'd hate to foster agreement with a poster who wants the democratically elected Israeli government "removed" by "The West"

And if Israel, why not Russia?
  • Options

Netanyahu is an asshole.

All of these are true.

Why?

Do the Kurds?
    Do the Basques?
    Do the Tamils?
    Do the Catalans?

I think the conflict will only end with the establishment of a Palestinian state. That much was clear before Hamas's terrible actions.

Right now the Israeli Government are creating more death, more destruction in the long term by denying their right to ever exist.
    That's not what I asked.

You said the Palestinians have a "right" to a state.
    Do the Kurds have that same "right"? Do the Tamils?

Or is there something magically unique about the Palestinians? Or the Israelis?
  • Options

Netanyahu is an asshole.

All of these are true.

Why?

Do the Kurds?
    Do the Basques?
    Do the Tamils?
    Do the Catalans?

I definitely have to wonder how many terrorists/freedom fighters are being created by Israel’s actions now. Was there another way? There had to be something better than this.
  • Options

Netanyahu is an asshole.

All of these are true.

Why?

Do the Kurds?
    Do the Basques?
    Do the Tamils?
    Do the Catalans?

That's not what I asked.

Do you really want to discuss whether there should be an Israeli state?
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,551

It was disappointing, though not surprising - cos that's what party leaders do - that his first instinct was to support him. But fair play, he's not-too-belatedly done the right thing here. Corbyn wouldn't have done.
  • Options

Netanyahu is an asshole.

All of these are true.

Why?

Do the Kurds?
    Do the Basques?
    Do the Tamils?
    Do the Catalans?

I definitely have to wonder how many terrorists/freedom fighters are being created by Israel’s actions now. Was there another way? There had to be something better than this.
    I absolutely think the actions they have taken will in the long term create far more problems than this terrible conflict. Their strategy is entirely self-defeating. But Netanyahu seems a bit thick.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

It was disappointing, though not surprising - cos that's what party leaders do - that his first instinct was to support him. But fair play, he's not-too-belatedly done the right thing here. Corbyn wouldn't have done.
    To be honest, I feel like Sir Keir has been MIA during this whole thing. Has he personally said anything?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,666
    edited February 12
    Although Andy Haldane is wrong about ploughing on with a £140B of green investment that is unaffordable right now, I am more favourable about of his idea’s of splitting the Treasury in two.

Public finances separate from staying course on long term planning and investment is the gist of it.

I think it’s wrong that it was too easy for Sunak to scrap HS2. If it’s wrong for governments to have control of interest rates, and so can cut them in run up to elections, it had to be equally wrong that cross party policy built up over decades, and supported by local leaders of all political persuasions, can be victim to an unpopular Prime Minister and the clique of advisors and image consultants around him.

Split the treasury. Create a growth and long term plan body, include local and regional leaders in the long term plan entity AND remove some power from government and Downing Street into that entity too.

“Andy Haldane would do if he ran the government, he tells Sophy Ridge he'd "split the Treasury in two".
    Half of it would manage the public finances, and the other would be a "separate economic or growth ministry".
    "We need a singular focus now on growth," he says.
    "And that means a ministerial singular focus on growth.
    "And that will mean doing something different at the Treasury than is the case currently."
    He would also seek to give more power to local leaders to let them "become masters of their own destiny".
    "That, I think, is where the energy is in the country right now," he says.
    "And that's where the potential is greatest to unlock people, unlock communities, and to grow them in the national economy."
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,822
    edited February 12

Netanyahu is an asshole.

All of these are true.

Why?

Do the Kurds?
    Do the Basques?
    Do the Tamils?
    Do the Catalans?

That's not what I asked.

Do you really want to discuss whether there should be an Israeli state?
    No, because why would we? Are you implying there should be a discussion? Are you implying that's in any doubt?

There is an Israeli state. Existing states have a right to exist.

There is no Palestinian state. Potential future states have no right to exist, they are potential future states.
  • Options
    Rishi Sunak is currently on GB News, violating all Ofcom rules.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,902
    https://twitter.com/cnorthwood/status/1757149217632510160

“Just heard an update from the Rochdale Lib Dem campaign HQ... The campaign is ramping up, some interesting canvassing returns so far and this will really make this a free-for-all. Remember it's historically a Lab/Lib marginal.”
  • Options

I dislike Sunak but what rule is being broken? If he was on Sky News would that violate any rules?
  • Options

Netanyahu is an asshole.

All of these are true.

How can they be trusted, again, to have a state that borders Israel?

Why won't they vote for leaders who will build rocket factories so that they can kill jews?

The Palestinians will not settle for less than From The River To The Sea

That mindset has been enabled through the UNRWA for more than three quarters of a century
  • Options

Bullshit.

They are.

Excuse me.

It's an uncomfortable label to pin on an Israeli Prime Minister, even a maverick one. We might see over the next months whether Bibi ticks all the boxes, or not.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469

Can we place Rochdale Labour in the By-elections hall of fame for poor choices of candidate. Had they all just transferred from Sheffield Hallam or something?

I thought Rochdale was tricky for them. Now I suppose they can try to wave off a defeat as 'exceptional circumstances'. Not sure I accept that. Meanwhile, on a probable very low turnout, if Galloway can get his people to turn out then who knows?

Galloway has won a by election in the past. I wouldn't rule out him doing it again. Sadly
    The voters are in a mood to kick against the pricks whoever they are. Starmer risks being treated as the incumbent even before he enters No 10. That's his problem - he really doesnt look like a positive change candidate in the way that Tony Blair did.
  • Options
    https://x.com/JibbaJabb/status/1757139833120559196

Rishi Sunak confronted by angry audience members over adverse reactions to the COVID vaccine. #GBNews
  • Options

No, he'll probably be the next Prime Minister. Likely another completely useless one, but he'll get to play with the train set for a bit, which is the aim of the exercise.

pigeon said:

DavidL said:

Careless Rishi?

What? Really?

"Well no, not really."

It's quite possible the LAB lead really falls away as people focus on the election. They will probably still win but could be as close as 38 - 32. There really is no real enthusiasm for LAB.
    Yep, low turnout (which strongly favours the Tories as it'll drive the median age of the electorate up even more,) resulting in a hung parliament. The Conservatives are so useless that it'll most likely persuade enough of their backers to switch sides or stay at home to rob them of a majority, but there exists no positive reason to endorse any of the alternatives. Except for voters in Scotland minded to pull the plug on Britain, who can always stick with the equally useless SNP to protest the fact.

Labour 300, Con 260, SNP 40, LD 25. One term of total non-achievement, followed by a prompt return to Toryism.
  • Options

Netanyahu is an asshole.

All of these are true.

How can they be trusted, again, to have a state that borders Israel?

Why won't they vote for leaders who will build rocket factories so that they can kill jews?

The Palestinians will not settle for less than From The River To The Sea

That mindset has been enabled through the UNRWA for more than three quarters of a century
    The UNRWA like Hamas should not exist after this conflict.
  • Options

And if Israel, why not Russia?
    Or Iran?
  • Options

Do Ofcom rules apply if no-one is actually watching?
  • Options

As a matter of interest which rules prevent him, Starmer, or Davey appearing on GBNews anymore than Sky or BBC ?
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,779
    Apparently the virtue-signalling here tonight can be seen from space.
  • Options

https://x.com/JibbaJabb/status/1757139833120559196

Rishi Sunak confronted by angry audience members over adverse reactions to the COVID vaccine. #GBNews

Bit harsh on Sunak. I’d blame those absolute roasters at Oxford Uni for that.
  • Options

“Just heard an update from the Rochdale Lib Dem campaign HQ... The campaign is ramping up, some interesting canvassing returns so far and this will really make this a free-for-all. Remember it's historically a Lab/Lib marginal.”

Wasn't Cyril Smith their mp once
  • Options

Can we place Rochdale Labour in the By-elections hall of fame for poor choices of candidate. Had they all just transferred from Sheffield Hallam or something?

I thought Rochdale was tricky for them. Now I suppose they can try to wave off a defeat as 'exceptional circumstances'. Not sure I accept that. Meanwhile, on a probable very low turnout, if Galloway can get his people to turn out then who knows?

Galloway has won a by election in the past. I wouldn't rule out him doing it again. Sadly
    The voters are in a mood to kick against the pricks whoever they are. Starmer risks being treated as the incumbent even before he enters No 10. That's his problem - he really doesnt look like a positive change candidate in the way that Tony Blair did.
    That's because he's an empty shell and a total do-nothing. Labour are in it for the salaries and the limos, nothing more.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

No, he'll probably be the next Prime Minister. Likely another completely useless one, but he'll get to play with the train set for a bit, which is the aim of the exercise.

pigeon said:

DavidL said:

Careless Rishi?

What? Really?

"Well no, not really."

Yep, low turnout (which strongly favours the Tories as it'll drive the median age of the electorate up even more,) resulting in a hung parliament. The Conservatives are so useless that it'll most likely persuade enough of their backers to switch sides or stay at home to rob them of a majority, but there exists no positive reason to endorse any of the alternatives. Except for voters in Scotland minded to pull the plug on Britain, who can always stick with the equally useless SNP to protest the fact.

Labour 300, Con 260, SNP 40, LD 25. One term of total non-achievement, followed by a prompt return to Toryism.
    38 - 32 is rather possible, but I’m still raotflmfao at your 300-260 seat numbers from 38-32.

38-32 would deliver an eighty Starmer majority and Tories below 200 seats with the amount of tactical vote in addition to that swing.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

That's because he's an empty shell and a total do-nothing. Labour are in it for the salaries and the limos, nothing more.
    Which is true for the Tories too.

And time for a change means Labour will win. Probably rightly so.

Despite Starmer being an unprincipled shit. Or because he is.
  • Options

Cookie said:

To be honest, I feel like Sir Keir has been MIA during this whole thing. Has he personally said anything?
    Making paper planes?
  • Options

Netanyahu is an asshole.

All of these are true.

Why?

Do the Kurds?
    Do the Basques?
    Do the Tamils?
    Do the Catalans?

Never mind the Cossacks.
  • Options

Do Ofcom rules apply if no-one is actually watching?
    A fair point.

Unfortunately they do and the moderation of this debate is entirely contrary to the rules Ofcom have made. I use "moderation" very loosely.
  • Options

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

DavidL said:

Careless Rishi?

What? Really?

"Well no, not really."

38 - 32 is rather possible, but I’m still raotflmfao at your 300-260 seat numbers from 38-32.

38-32 would deliver an eighty Starmer majority and Tories below 200 seats with the amount of tactical vote in addition to that swing.
    You seem to be assuming an immense amount of tactical voting. Why would there be? Some grand alliance of progressive voters all so desperate to be rid of the Tories that they'll troop down to the polling stations in their droves to back a unity candidate? No, not when there is zero enthusiasm for the alternative.

Low turnout, apathy, and Green voters in particular sticking to their guns rather than endorsing continuity Conservatism. That's what we can expect from the next election.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,022

No brainer. They really have to chuck the kitchen sink at this one.
  • Options
    Good news from the Middle East today as two hostages taken since 7 October have been rescued by Israelis going into Rafah. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-68271340

Excellent news and well done Israel. How many more hostages have been taken to Rafah.

To everyone who is against Israel having free operational room to go into Rafah, what should have happened to these hostages? Should they not have been rescued.

There must be no safe harbour for Hamas anywhere in Gaza. There must be nowhere Hamas can take Israelis to in Gaza that they can't be rescued from.

If civilians want safe harbour, that's outside of the conflict zone, or nowhere.
  • Options
    Back in planet reality.

Lowest Conservative % since Sunak became PM.

Just two points above lowest under Truss.

Westminster VI (11 Feb):

Labour 46% (+1)
    Conservative 21% (-3)
    Reform UK 12% (–)
    Liberal Democrat 11% (+2)
    Green 5% (+1)
    SNP 3% (–)
    Other 2% (–)

Changes +/- 4 Feb

https://x.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1757087174779183560
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,135
    edited February 12
    Worth a read for those betting on the presidential markets.

Democrats Might Need a Plan B. Here’s What It Looks Like.
    The political and procedural steps for how to pick a new presidential nominee.
    https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/02/12/joe-biden-democrat-plan-b-nominee-00140790

Confirms what I’ve been saying - that it’s entirely Biden’s decision.

… there is a path that enables him to leave with dignity and on his terms. It begins with letting the Democratic primary campaign run its course, ending June 4, the date the last group of states holds its primaries. Biden would finish as the undisputed victor, with far more than the 1,968 pledged delegate votes necessary to claim the nomination.

And then Biden would announce he would not accept the nomination and release his delegates to back a different nominee. He could insist he’s still fit to serve out another term but that he accepts the public’s concerns with a president who would be 86 at the end of a second term. He could remind voters that he has always said he was a bridge to a future generation of Democratic leaders. The economy is on track, he could note, and argue that he defeated Trump once and protected American democracy. He met his duty.

At that point, the scramble would begin among potential successors. Not long after Biden’s announcement, a spate of private polls testing various candidates in the general election would suddenly be floated to establish different figures’ Trump-slaying credentials. Between June 4 and Aug. 19, when the party’s convention begins in Chicago, senior Democrats would jockey for position to replace Biden in the kind of battle not seen in decades in American politics...
  • Options

I agree with you all - what’s obvious today is Netanyahu doesn’t accept his political career is over and ending in ignominy. Soon as he does, he can start making smarter decisions for the long term of his country.
  • Options

Back in planet reality.

Westminster VI (11 Feb):

Labour 46% (+1)
    Conservative 21% (-3)
    Reform UK 12% (–)
    Green 5% (+1)
    SNP 3% (–)
    Other 2% (–)

Changes +/- 4 Feb

Starmer has all the integrity of Johnson and will probably win a Johnson-style healthy majority too.

If Sunak continues the way he has, it might even be with my vote.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,537
    edited February 12

Netanyahu is an asshole.

All of these are true.

Why?

Do the Kurds?
    Do the Basques?
    Do the Tamils?
    Do the Catalans?

The Palestinians were given (the makings of) a state nearly 20 years ago. Settlers were dragged literally kicking and screaming out of Gaza and the keys were handed over to the Palestinians.

Imagine what would have happened to the region if the then government of Gaza had worked with the then willing Israeli government to make Gaza a success. For the Palestinians living there, for its neighbour Israel, for broader geopolitics in the region.

But no. The Gazans elected Hamas to power and Hamas had the stated intention of destroying Israel.

It has now started a war with Israel and is currently engaged in that war. Wars are ugly but Israel is simply prosecuting the war. Are there war crimes? Not that are immediately apparent but no doubt that will be decided by some court or other in time to come. Meanwhile, Israel believes it is fighting for its life so is unlikely to amend its war aims too readily.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,284
    @JohnRentoul

Sunak tells GB News audience in Newton Aycliffe it’s a choice between him and Starmer as PM

Bye, bye then...
  • Options
    @kaitlancollins

The Trump filing to the Supreme Court is in. He's asking them to temporarily block that unanimous decision from the DC Circuit that outright rejected his claims of broad immunity.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,940

Good news from the Middle East today as two hostages taken since 7 October have been rescued by Israelis going into Rafah. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-68271340

Excellent news and well done Israel. How many more hostages have been taken to Rafah.

To everyone who is against Israel having free operational room to go into Rafah, what should have happened to these hostages? Should they not have been rescued.

There must be no safe harbour for Hamas anywhere in Gaza. There must be nowhere Hamas can take Israelis to in Gaza that they can't be rescued from.

If civilians want safe harbour, that's outside of the conflict zone, or nowhere.

It involved 55 civilians getting killed. Quite a price unless you put very little value on Palestinian civilians.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,584
    Scott_xP said:

@JohnRentoul

Sunak tells GB News audience in Newton Aycliffe it’s a choice between him and Starmer as PM

Bye, bye then...

You sure? After the three or four days Starmer has had?

Maybe this is gonna be more competitive than we think.

• Options
    https://x.com/JohnRentoul/status/1757157181479096706

• Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,269

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1757065035845648704

Tucker Carlson: "It was a shock to me that Moscow, where I had never been before, the largest European city with 13 million people, was much nicer than any city in my country. I had no idea about that. It is much cleaner, safer, and prettier aesthetically. Its architecture, food, services are better than any city in the United States."

Moscow is the only city in Europe where I've had to bribe some police officers to allow me to continue going about my business.
  • Options
  • Options
    edited February 12
    Roger said:

It involved 55 civilians getting killed. Quite a price unless you put very little value on Palestinian civilians.
    That's Hamas's fault.

Every Palestinian casualty is Hamas's fault every bit as much as every Israeli casualty. They shouldn't have started this fight.

However the enemies civilians being used as human shields never has and never will be a reason not to fight a war, and yes it is proportionate to kill 55 of the enemies civilians (if they even were civilians) if its the only way of getting 2 of your own back.

In war, your own civilians are worth more than your enemies. Always have been, always will be.
  • Options

As a matter of interest which rules prevent him, Starmer, or Davey appearing on GBNews anymore than Sky or BBC ?
    Hour long special when there is a by-election might be an issue?

• Options

Back in planet reality.

Westminster VI (11 Feb):

Labour 46% (+1)
    Conservative 21% (-3)
    Reform UK 12% (–)
    Green 5% (+1)
    SNP 3% (–)
    Other 2% (–)

Changes +/- 4 Feb

Starmer has all the integrity of Johnson and will probably win a Johnson-style healthy majority too.

You are voting Sunak? I thought you couldn't bear him.
  • Options
    'I am doing everything in my political power to achieve this.'

Former Israeli PM Ehud Olmert tells
    @AndrewMarr9
    that 'change will happen sooner than people think' regarding Benjamin Netanyahu's tenure in charge of Israel.

https://x.com/LBC/status/1757121140626280608

Correct.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@JohnRentoul

Bye, bye then...

Has he only just realised this?
  • Options
    edited February 12

Back in planet reality.

Westminster VI (11 Feb):

Labour 46% (+1)
    Conservative 21% (-3)
    Reform UK 12% (–)
    Green 5% (+1)
    SNP 3% (–)
    Other 2% (–)

Changes +/- 4 Feb

You are voting Sunak? I thought you couldn't bear him.
    Hell no, I wasn't referring to Sunak as it, I know what pronoun he identifies as.

I'm saying it [Starmer's healthy majority win] might even be with my vote.

For the first time in twenty years I'm much more likely to vote Labour than Tory at the next election.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

@JohnRentoul

Bye, bye then...

You sure? After the three or four days Starmer has had?

Maybe this is gonna be more competitive than we think.

@Clintus_erectus

Replying to @fleetstreetfox
    It's like we are in a toxic relationship with Sunak. We've told him we are leaving, his bags are packed, it's him not us, it's over, we are done. He's asking us where we want to go on holiday in the summer.
  • Options

LOL. "Positive change candidate"?

I think he buried that this weekend when he scuttled his own flagship.

• Options

LOL. "Positive change candidate"?

I think he buried that this weekend when he scuttled his own flagship.

Do you honestly think this is the thing to move the dial?

This feels like beergate all over again to me.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162
    Taz said:

TimS said:

FPT

Gastronomic question for British (English, Scottish, Welsh or indeed N Irish) patriots.

Our French neighbour and her little girl are coming for dinner tomorrow and I’ve promised some classic British cooking. Main course and pudding are easy: I’m going toad in the hole (with a nod to it being shrove Tuesday) and some sort of nursery pudding. But what about a starter? I’m stuck.

All I can think of is seafood options but I’m not a fan of prawn cocktail, sceptical I’ll find any brown shrimps to “pot”, certainly won’t track down kippers or cockles. Or there are other non fishy things that won’t be found down the local Carrefour market like haggis or game pie. And Welsh rarebit has been blatantly culturally appropriated by the French as “le Welsh” and presented as a speciality of the Ch’tis.

Please advise. And don’t say melon and ham.

Waldorf salad.
    Sorry, we’re all out of Waldorfs.

Where’s Waldorf?
  • Options

'I am doing everything in my political power to achieve this.'

Former Israeli PM Ehud Olmert tells
    @AndrewMarr9
    that 'change will happen sooner than people think' regarding Benjamin Netanyahu's tenure in charge of Israel.

https://x.com/LBC/status/1757121140626280608

Correct.

Winning the war didn't keep Churchill in office, and Netanyahu is no Churchill.

More than one thing can be true simultaneously.

The war should be over when Israel wins unconditionally (just like we demanded the unconditional surrender of Germany) - and Netanyahu should be out of office soon after.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,157
    Trump SCOTUS filing to keep the DC trial on hold while he appeals to SCOTUS:
    https://bsky.app/profile/bradheath.bsky.social/post/3klasfpiyno2o

If I've got this right this initially goes to John Roberts, who can either decide it on his own or (more likely) put it to a vote. Then it needs 5 justices to agree that the trial should be paused while they decide whether to hear the case, then hear the case if that's what they decide. This is one more than you need to subsequently agree to actually hear the case, but I guess if there are four of them saying they'll probably want to hear it then there would be one more who would vote for the pause.
  • Options
    pigeon said:

pigeon said:

pigeon said:

DavidL said:

Careless Rishi?

What? Really?

"Well no, not really."

You seem to be assuming an immense amount of tactical voting. Why would there be? Some grand alliance of progressive voters all so desperate to be rid of the Tories that they'll troop down to the polling stations in their droves to back a unity candidate? No, not when there is zero enthusiasm for the alternative.

Low turnout, apathy, and Green voters in particular sticking to their guns rather than endorsing continuity Conservatism. That's what we can expect from the next election.
    🤣 you seem to be assuming NO tactical voting to get 300-260 from 38-32.

But my straightforward answer to you is yes, with LLG still over 60, and demonstrating voting tactically with razor precision in local elections and by elections for years now, we should all be expecting a large amount of razor sharp tactical voting butchering the Tory seat total come the General Election. That LLG is huge, there’s plenty of evidence of tactical voting in recent elections, and the main appetite and enthusiasm that is out there amongst the electorate is get Sunak out.
  • Options

Taz said:

TimS said:

FPT

Gastronomic question for British (English, Scottish, Welsh or indeed N Irish) patriots.

Our French neighbour and her little girl are coming for dinner tomorrow and I’ve promised some classic British cooking. Main course and pudding are easy: I’m going toad in the hole (with a nod to it being shrove Tuesday) and some sort of nursery pudding. But what about a starter? I’m stuck.

All I can think of is seafood options but I’m not a fan of prawn cocktail, sceptical I’ll find any brown shrimps to “pot”, certainly won’t track down kippers or cockles. Or there are other non fishy things that won’t be found down the local Carrefour market like haggis or game pie. And Welsh rarebit has been blatantly culturally appropriated by the French as “le Welsh” and presented as a speciality of the Ch’tis.

Waldorf salad.

Where’s Waldorf?
    I think she's married to Chuck
  • Options
    Rochdale:
    Labour ex candidate disgraced
    Green ex candidate disgraced
    RefUK candidate disgraced
    Galloway - meow
    Tory candidate whose party is a disgrace

Or do as the town has done so often, vote Liberal Democrat.
  • Options

Glen O'Hara
    @gsoh31
    ·
    56m
    Just like conservatives in the US Republican Party, Sunak will find you can't ride the angry and conspiracist tiger. It just turns round and eats you.

https://twitter.com/gsoh31
  • Options

Rochdale:
    Galloway - meow

Did we ever find out what the Green had done?

All I know he is something about past social media comments.

Honestly, why does anyone in public life go on social media?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,537
    It's a bit bizarre that a UK by-election is being fought and the major issue seems to be a war thousands of miles away not involving us.

wtf is that all about.
  • Options

Taz said:

TimS said:

FPT

Waldorf salad.

Where’s Waldorf?
    Hanging out with Statler?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

It's a bit bizarre that a UK by-election is being fought and the major issue seems to be a war thousands of miles away not involving us.

wtf is that all about.

War is more interesting than by-elections?
  • Options

Taz said:

TimS said:

FPT

Waldorf salad.

Where’s Waldorf?
    With Statler, in the box seats at the Muppet Theatre.

Or Anglo-American politics, as it is also known.
  • Options
    edited February 12

Rochdale:
    Galloway - meow

Late Liberal MP disgraced.

Paul Waugh ( Starmer's man) may be the Labour candidate come the election.
This discussion has been closed.