Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Ken Clarke is dead right on the Rwanda bill – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,688
edited February 4 in General
Ken Clarke is dead right on the Rwanda bill – politicalbetting.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Dictatorships tend not to go with the elected bit, unless they've rigged it. Which is why Trump was trying to avoid the transfer of power on January 6th after he lost.

We have an election this year, where Ken and everyone else can register their displeasure at the supposed "dictatorship".

And then he can moan about Elected Dictatorship by Woke.

• Options
    edited January 30
    The Office for National Statistics just forecast that between today and 2036 Britain's population will grow by 6.6 million people --6.1 million of which will be due to international net migration.

That is bigger than the combined current populations of Greater Manchester, the West Midlands and Leeds.

That looks like the battleground for the next election to me.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,305

The Office for National Statistics just forecast that between today and 2036 Britain's population will grow by 6.6 million people --6.1 million of which will be due to international net migration.

Is there any difference between Labour and Tory on the issue?

The issue will impact how many votes both parties lose to Reform, but I can't see it moving the dial between them much at all.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,956

Now do the number of houses that will be built over this time. The number of new schools, hospitals, new motorways, new train capacity, etc.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,695

That is bigger than the combined current populations of Greater Manchester, the West Midlands and Leeds.

The main parties have nothing to say on this subject.
  • Options
    As I said last night, Ken Clarke is the greatest PM we never had.

And

One of the reasons I am a Thatcherite is this quote from the Iron Lady.

‘The legal system we have and the rule of law are far more responsible for our traditional liberties than any system of one man one vote. Any country or government which wants to proceed towards tyranny starts to undermine legal rights and undermine the law.’
  • Options

Dictatorships tend not to go with the elected bit, unless they've rigged it. Which is why Trump was trying to avoid the transfer of power on January 6th after he lost.

We have an election this year, where Ken and everyone else can register their displeasure at the supposed "dictatorship".

This is astonishingly naive.

Just remind me how Hitler, Putin, Modi, Orban, Erdoğan for example first came to power?
    They rigged it. By blocking opponents, for example. How many true proponents of democracy does Putin allow to stand against him?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,488
    edited January 30

Not sure the Tories can make it a battleground given the mass immigration we’ve delivered, a bit like being criticised by Keith Richards for drinking too much booze and doing too many drugs.
  • Options

This is astonishingly naive.

Just remind me how Hitler, Putin, Modi, Orban, Erdoğan for example first came to power?
    They rigged it. By blocking opponents, for example. How many true proponents of democracy does Putin allow to stand against him?
    Jacob Rees-Mogg admitted the Tories rigged the voter ID rules.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008

Not sure the Tories can make it a battleground given the mass immigration we’ve delivered, a bit like being criticised by Keith Richards for drinking too much booze and doing too many drugs.
    They’ve been trying to Stop the Boats, though.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,779
    kyf_100 said:

Now do the number of houses that will be built over this time. The number of new schools, hospitals, new motorways, new train capacity, etc.
    How about we build a fast train line from London to Manchester and then connect it to the North? Not sure what we could call it though.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122

And

‘The legal system we have and the rule of law are far more responsible for our traditional liberties than any system of one man one vote. Any country or government which wants to proceed towards tyranny starts to undermine legal rights and undermine the law.’

That Thatcher quote is bollocks, just a rehash of Hayekian dislike of democracy. We had the rule of law for a long time before most people enjoyed liberties of any description. It is entirely possible for a legal system to oversee tyranny and oppression, as for instance in the case of the Atlantic slave trade. I have some respect for the second sentence in the quotation, less for the first.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,673
    Alliance leader Naomi Long on the DUP deal: “There is nothing in the deal that wasn't available in 2018 under Theresa May.”
  • Options

The really worrying thing about that is the fact that 2036 is fewer than twelve years away.

WTF!?!

Where due my youth go?
  • Options

And

That Thatcher quote is bollocks, just a rehash of Hayekian dislike of democracy. We had the rule of law for a long time before most people enjoyed liberties of any description. It is entirely possible for a legal system to oversee tyranny and oppression, as for instance in the case of the Atlantic slave trade. I have some respect for the second sentence in the quotation, less for the first.
    And there are plenty of democracies without individual liberties that we take for granted too. Neither democracy nor rule of law is sufficient alone and it would be hard to choose one over the other without further context.
  • Options

The really worrying thing about that is the fact that 2036 is fewer than twelve years away.

WTF!?!

Where due my youth go?
    Davos?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    “Ken Clarke is dead…”

Was a little concerned for a minute there.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008

WTF!?!

Where due my youth go?
    You should worry!
  • Options

Alliance leader Naomi Long on the DUP deal: “There is nothing in the deal that wasn't available in 2018 under Theresa May.”

The DUP are the biggest cucks in UK politics.

I know some get exercised by Starmer’s lies but nothing will ever top Boris Johnson going to the DUP conference and telling them no UK PM could put a border in the Irish Sea then won an election and put a border in the Irish Sea.
  • Options

Ineffectively, admittedly. But come the election campaign, it will count for something, versus a Labour Party whose innate sensibilities are "let them come".

I can see it being where the wheels come off Starmer's election campaign, in the same way they came off May's in 2017. It feeds into concerns about housing, NHS, education, transport. When the underlying unease in the country is that "everything is broken", the idea of having 10% more people in every train carriage, on every NHS waiting list, in every classroom, on every motorway, waiting for every rental property to come available - that is hardly the shiny hope of "things can only get better" that Tony Blair rode to 10 Downing Street.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679

Ineffectively, admittedly. But come the election campaign, it will count for something, versus a Labour Party whose innate sensibilities are "let them come".

I can see it being where the wheels come off Starmer's election campaign, in the same way they came off May's in 2017. It feeds into concerns about housing, NHS, education, transport. When the underlying unease in the country is that "everything is broken", the idea of having 10% more people in every train carriage, on every NHS waiting list, in every classroom, on every motorway, waiting for every rental property to come available - that is hardly the shiny hope of "things can only get better" that Tony Blair rode to 10 Downing Street.
    How do you "stop the boats"? This country has already made people wait in Calais before they can claim asylum, now they're planning to make them wait in Rwanda. And, of course, the vast majority of immigration isn't the boats nor is it illegal.
  • Options

WTF!?!

Where due my youth go?
    Davos?
    I’ve been to Davos, the real action is at the Bilderberg conferences, much better food and ladies of questionable morals.

Oh and proper A List cast.
  • Options

It’s in an odd battleground. OK, on one side you’ve got Reform UK with a clear “one in, one out” policy, and on the other you’ve got Labour saying the numbers are a bit high and they’ll bring them down, but they’re OK with immigration and their main solution is more housebuilding.

The weird bit, however, is that you have the Conservatives saying these numbers are way too high, while simultaneously being directly responsible for the numbers being what they are. So, do voters go with what the Tories say or what the Tories do? Or do all voters, whatever their views on immigration, see the Tories as having failed on this?

Were I the Conservative Party, I’d be doing everything possible to move the public discussion on to any other topic!
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,591

And

He's only 3 years older than Mr Biden, and 6 older than Mr Chump if I have it right !
  • Options
    So, who was the first human to sign up as a Neuralink guinea pig?

https://www.reuters.com/technology/neuralink-implants-brain-chip-first-human-musk-says-2024-01-29/

(Presumably it’s actually someone with a serious neurological illness and a very poor quality of life, happy to donate their living body to science for as long as they’re still alive).
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079

And

The Hayekian dislike of democracy is the same as the OnlyLivingBoy dislike of democracy: people might vote for illiberal things.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,448

And

Indeed - opposition to the abolition of slavery included the idea that abolition undermined the rights of… slave owners.

“ If we submit ourselves to law, even submit to losing freedoms, the freedom to oppress, for instance, we may discover other freedoms previously unknown to us.”
  • Options
    We should listen to the IMF because the last time we didn’t Liz Truss fucked the economy and I was fewer than 48 hours from activating Operation Dynamo and that’s a very bad thing.

• Options
    Another war crime, beamed onto our screens for everyone to see

https://twitter.com/muhammadshehad2/status/1752233848262295844

Article 37. – Prohibition of perfidy

1. It is prohibited to kill, injure or capture an adversary by resort to perfidy. Acts inviting the confidence of an adversary to lead him to believe that he is entitled to, or is obliged to accord, protection under the rules of international law applicable in armed conflict, with intent to betray that confidence, shall constitute perfidy. The following acts are examples of perfidy:

(a) The feigning of an intent to negotiate under a flag of truce or of a surrender;
    (b) The feigning of an incapacitation by wounds or sickness;
    (c) The feigning of civilian, non-combatant status; and
    (d) The feigning of protected status by the use of signs, emblems or uniforms of the United Nations or of neutral or other States not Parties to the conflict.
  • Options

Come the election campaign, the Tories will try and make it count for something, but all Labour has to do is remind people that, whatever the Tories say, they’ve done the opposite. They’ve not stopped the boats; they’ve chosen to have record high immigration to the country.
  • Options
    Imran Khan sentenced to 10 years in prison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB6IOWHzdZg
  • Options
    edited January 30
    148grss said:

1. It is prohibited to kill, injure or capture an adversary by resort to perfidy. Acts inviting the confidence of an adversary to lead him to believe that he is entitled to, or is obliged to accord, protection under the rules of international law applicable in armed conflict, with intent to betray that confidence, shall constitute perfidy. The following acts are examples of perfidy:

(a) The feigning of an intent to negotiate under a flag of truce or of a surrender;
    (d) The feigning of protected status by the use of signs, emblems or uniforms of the United Nations or of neutral or other States not Parties to the conflict.

I trust you’ll be voting Tory at the next election.

Britain is ready to bring forward the moment when it formally recognises a Palestinian state, the foreign secretary has suggested.

Lord Cameron said Palestinians had to be given a political horizon to encourage peace in the Middle East.

He is beginning his fourth visit to the region since being appointed foreign secretary in November.

The UK has a responsibility to set out what a Palestinian state would look like, he told a Westminster reception.

The Palestinian people would have to be shown "irreversible progress" towards a two-state solution, Lord Cameron said.

"As that happens, we - with allies - will look at the issue of recognising a Palestinian state, including at the United Nations," he told the Conservative Middle East Council.

"That could be one of the things that helps to make this process irreversible."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-68137220.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,997
    148grss said:

Alleged from what I saw unless they captured "the dozen" and were able to guarantee who they were or am I missing something.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801

I know some get exercised by Starmer’s lies but nothing will ever top Boris Johnson going to the DUP conference and telling them no UK PM could put a border in the Irish Sea then won an election and put a border in the Irish Sea.
    What worries me is the Tories on PB and elsewhere presenting a deal with the DUP as a HUUUUUUGE ACHIEVEMENT.

We've been there before, as indeed you show.
  • Options

148grss said:

Britain is ready to bring forward the moment when it formally recognises a Palestinian state, the foreign secretary has suggested.

Lord Cameron said Palestinians had to be given a political horizon to encourage peace in the Middle East.

He is beginning his fourth visit to the region since being appointed foreign secretary in November.

The UK has a responsibility to set out what a Palestinian state would look like, he told a Westminster reception.

The Palestinian people would have to be shown "irreversible progress" towards a two-state solution, Lord Cameron said.

"As that happens, we - with allies - will look at the issue of recognising a Palestinian state, including at the United Nations," he told the Conservative Middle East Council.

I did see this and it has quite surprised me.

Thankfully there are other parties who currently support recognising a Palestinian state that are also not completely terrible in every other way.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,014
    148grss said:

The problem with (c) is everyone does it.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801

kyf_100 said:

How about we build a fast train line from London to Manchester and then connect it to the North? Not sure what we could call it though.
    The Rishi Railway?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kyf_100 said:

The Rishi Railway?
    RR1?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,206
    148grss said:

Allegedly.
  • Options
    148grss said:

148grss said:

Thankfully there are other parties who currently support recognising a Palestinian state that are also not completely terrible in every other way.
    Dave is awesome and Starmer will retain Dave as Foreign Secretary after the election.
  • Options

148grss said:

148grss said:

Dave is awesome and Starmer will retain Dave as Foreign Secretary after the election.
    I mean that would be a worst of both worlds situation in my head, but does kind of fit Starmer to a tee so I can't dismiss it as entirely impossible...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

What worries me is the Tories on PB and elsewhere presenting a deal with the DUP as a HUUUUUUGE ACHIEVEMENT.

We’ve had the oven ready Brexit deal (sic) and the Windsor Agreement, third time lucky ?
  • Options
    148grss said:

From his twitter he looks a supremely unbiased source of news.

Not.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,736
    Mildly hilarious that the Rwandan effective dictator is getting worried about the reputational risks of an asylum arrangement with the UK. Even the £400 million for not doing anything much has its costs.

Ken Clarke is the only member of the Lords that is "present" in that chamber. Everyone else is asleep, or possibly dead.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,491
    Andy_JS said:

There's not a lot they can say.

All sorts of sectors of the economy would collapse without people coming here and doing our jobs. That's especially true for health and social care, where the ultimate employer is... wait for it... HM Government.

Lots of people like the idea of reducing immigration... that's understandable. But I'll happily wager a shiny sixpence that they wouldn't like the knock on effects of reducing it to the extent they wish.
  • Options
    FPT...

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Population predicted to rise to 74 million.

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1752283330484056127

Why do you hang on to that utter (k)nob's every last word?
    Is he wrong?
    We need another 10 million people to pay off the debt run up by boomers. But first we need to convince millennials and gen-xers that it will be a thoroughly good thing. It's going quite well, I'd say.
    From the actual source. The ONS

“Over the 15 years between mid-2021 and mid-2036, the UK population is projected to grow by 6.6 million people.

This includes 541,000 more births than deaths and international net migration of 6.1 million people.”

Utter insanity. Any party that promises to stop this, and does it, will win big. That’s not the Tories, they cannot be trusted

We may have to start our own party
    I've never got the argument that "students" should drop out of the migration figures because they are only here for a temporary course: firstly, if they were, they'd be netted out of the migration figures anyway and, secondly, it's quite clear that the majority stay so they need to be.
    The majority do not stay. What tosh. Why come here and post nonsense?
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602
    IPSOS latest polling from 17-23 Jan just out. It tends to go under the radar because it takes a few more days delay to get out, being telephone polling.

https://www.ipsos.com/sites/default/files/ct/news/documents/2024-01/ipsos-politicial-monitor-uk-charts-january-2024.pdf

22% Lab lead, up 5% since December, Labour to 49% on the headline measure.

Reform surprisingly at only 4%. I am not sure if Ipsos prompt for Reform. It is a massively different figure from normal internet based polling drawn from sample panels.

Truly shocking figures for Sunak personally. Only 26% think he would make the most capable PM, the lowest figure for any Conservative PM since 2010, not a patch on what Liz Truss managed. Starmer has a 13% lead on that measure.
  • Options

FPT...

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Is he wrong?
    We need another 10 million people to pay off the debt run up by boomers. But first we need to convince millennials and gen-xers that it will be a thoroughly good thing. It's going quite well, I'd say.

“Over the 15 years between mid-2021 and mid-2036, the UK population is projected to grow by 6.6 million people.

This includes 541,000 more births than deaths and international net migration of 6.1 million people.”

Utter insanity. Any party that promises to stop this, and does it, will win big. That’s not the Tories, they cannot be trusted

I've never got the argument that "students" should drop out of the migration figures because they are only here for a temporary course: firstly, if they were, they'd be netted out of the migration figures anyway and, secondly, it's quite clear that the majority stay so they need to be.
    Is that not the whole point? Maybe I've been doing this wrong....
  • Options

Carnyx said:

We’ve had the oven ready Brexit deal (sic) and the Windsor Agreement, third time lucky ?
    I presume this will be something pretty close to the Windsor Agreement and, basically, the DUP have backed down (or seen sense would be a better way of putting it!).
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,401
    The truth is our current economic and social infrastructure would probably fall over without large immigration each and every year. The Tories, and Labour to be fair, would obviously do something about it if there were an answer - electorally it's a big problem.

The question is: why this wasn't the case in the 1990s - were the demographics simply much more favourable? - and how do we spend over the 10-20 years so it becomes no longer necessary through structural reform?

In the meantime, immigration is more carefully controlled - and university "students" need clamping down on, and HMG will have to step in to fund those universities more so they are not as reliant on them.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,649

And

It's not entirely wrong, though. There is no democracy - and no civil society - without the rule of law.
  • Options
    You can probably draw a direct relationship between government cutbacks to university funding in 2010-2011 and a rise in immigration via student numbers subsequently.
  • Options
    I see Kate Forbes has flung Sturgeon and Useless under the bus at COVID enquiry.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,430

148grss said:

Not.
    Aside from playing the man rather than the ball, are you disputing his account of what happened, the IDF's account, or the text of the Geneva Convention?
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948
    edited January 30

It’s in an odd battleground. OK, on one side you’ve got Reform UK with a clear “one in, one out” policy, and on the other you’ve got Labour saying the numbers are a bit high and they’ll bring them down, but they’re OK with immigration and their main solution is more housebuilding.

The weird bit, however, is that you have the Conservatives saying these numbers are way too high, while simultaneously being directly responsible for the numbers being what they are. So, do voters go with what the Tories say or what the Tories do? Or do all voters, whatever their views on immigration, see the Tories as having failed on this?

Were I the Conservative Party, I’d be doing everything possible to move the public discussion on to any other topic!
    The only long term sustainable position on a small and already overcrowded island is net zero immigration. By a happy coincidence for the Tories, not only is this ultimately inevitable, but it would be fairly popular with voters in general, and really popular with both their base, and all the red wall swing voters they won last time.
    The weird thing is that the Tories are so fixated on the headline GDP numbers they haven't gone for this.

As it is, they seem determined to push their core voters to Reform whilst alienating everyone else as well.

On the plus side for them, if they manage to avoid Reform totally eating their lunch, winning against a wildly unpopular KS in 5 years time with a main policy of net zero migration is going to be extremely easy.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,302

Is there any difference between Labour and Tory on the issue?

The issue will impact how many votes both parties lose to Reform, but I can't see it moving the dial between them much at all.
    The Tories are going to implode in the next GE

Labour will be deeply unpopular within a year, because of this issue (and others) - our problems are too grave

If ever a hard right party is going to arise, and take over the Tories, and finally do something about this absurdity, it is 2024-2029

Ins’allah
  • Options

And

The Hayekian dislike of democracy is the same as the OnlyLivingBoy dislike of democracy: people might vote for illiberal things.
    I have no dislike of democracy. I don't always like its outcomes but I have always supported it 100% as a system of government. It is clearly better than any alternative. I'm surprised you think otherwise to be honest.
    Followers of Hayek, eg the Chilean "Chicago Boys", have had a much patchier record in this regard than I have.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,061

WTF!?!

Where due my youth go?
    Davos?
    I’ve been to Davos, the real action is at the Bilderberg conferences, much better food and ladies of questionable morals.

Oh and proper A List cast.
    Theirs ladies have excellent morals.

Their virtue is negotiable though
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,322
    148grss said:

148grss said:

Morning 148. I see this also in the article: "At the same time, there would have to be a new Palestinian authority "stood up quickly" with "technocratic and good leaders" able to govern Gaza, he said."

So win-win - Hamas leadership would have to leave Gaza and, presumably, displaced as its government also.

What's not to like.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,264
    The main Democratic super PAC supporting President Biden’s re-election bid, Future Forward, is beginning this week to reserve $250 million in advertising across the most important battleground states, a blitz that it says is the largest single purchase of political advertising by a super PAC in the nation’s history.

ny times
  • Options

FPT...

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Is he wrong?

given they have no records of in or out how do you work that one out. Shedloads bringing their families with them and guaranteed they are not leaving given the huge population increases
  • Options

You can probably draw a direct relationship between government cutbacks to university funding in 2010-2011 and a rise in immigration via student numbers subsequently.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/international-education-strategy-2023-update/international-education-strategy-2023-progress-update

It is government policy from 2019 and re-affirmed regularly since then including 2023.

Then they moan about it and say Labour have no plan.........and wonder why voters go to Reform or Labour.

Just bonkers I'm afraid.
  • Options

And

And there are plenty of democracies without individual liberties that we take for granted too. Neither democracy nor rule of law is sufficient alone and it would be hard to choose one over the other without further context.
    Yes both need to be present. I have a strong sense that democracy is the more important of the two, even for the protection of the rights of minorities. But perhaps that reflects a British-centric viewpoint, living in a country that has had the rule of law a lot longer than it has had democracy.
  • Options
    edited January 30

The main Democratic super PAC supporting President Biden’s re-election bid, Future Forward, is beginning this week to reserve $250 million in advertising across the most important battleground states, a blitz that it says is the largest single purchase of political advertising by a super PAC in the nation’s history.

ny times

And in the meantime they will be up against deep fake videos on small groups of social media which will have a bigger impact.
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 948

Andy_JS said:

There's not a lot they can say.

All sorts of sectors of the economy would collapse without people coming here and doing our jobs. That's especially true for health and social care, where the ultimate employer is... wait for it... HM Government.

Lots of people like the idea of reducing immigration... that's understandable. But I'll happily wager a shiny sixpence that they wouldn't like the knock on effects of reducing it to the extent they wish.
    Trouble with this logic is we're just running a ponzi scheme which requires more immigration each year to keep up with itself. At some point the music is going to stop, and it come crashing to earth, so we might as well get it over with. The longer we leave it the worse it will get.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

FPT...

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Is he wrong?

given they have no records of in or out how do you work that one out. Shedloads bringing their families with them and guaranteed they are not leaving given the huge population increases
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/internationalmigration/topicspecificmethodology details, at great length, the methodologies used by the ONS for immigration figures.

You say it is "guaranteed they are not leaving". OK, if it's guaranteed, prove it.
  • Options
    I see Michelle Obama is down to 9/1 for the Democratic nomination.

Just what on earth are people smoking?
  • Options
    edited January 30

Biden has a Bob Dole moment and it flows from there.
  • Options

148grss said:

Not.
    Aside from playing the man rather than the ball, are you disputing his account of what happened, the IDF's account, or the text of the Geneva Convention?
    I would suggest his bollox unsubstantiated report
  • Options
    PB BRAINS TRUST

Has any PB-er ever been to the Stans of Central Asia?

I AM DESPERATE TO GET TO THE STANS OF CENTRAL ASIA

I am making some nice money what with working so hard and halving my drinking and I am prepared to SPUNK IT all over some travel to the last corners of the the globe I do not know. The STANS rank high. I intend to go this summer

However it would be nice if I could get the Knappers Gazette to commission me to write about the “Rhyolite Sex Ticklers of Samarkand” so if any well travelled PBer thinks there is a story to be written about the STANS please tell me, and I will pray for you at the confluence of the Mekong and the Tonle Sap

The mountains of heaven: Tien Shan, that’s gotta be amazing. But what’s the angle?

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,466
    I am not Ken Clarke's biggest fan (nothing personal against him, just strongly disagree with his politics) but largely I agree with him here on the Rwanda - yes asylum applications probably should be processed outside of destination, but the choice of Rwanda is puzzling. My guess is it was a 'quick fix' because Rwanda already had some sort of asylum industry set up and other countries did not? I am also puzzled that they cannot come back from Rwanda. It seems fairly simple and fair to me to bring back successful applicants on the planes that the others went out on (preferably far lighter on the return trip). It would still massively deter bogus claimants (providing the system was rigorous), and would mean Rwanda wouldn't 'fill up'.

My conclusion is a bit different though - I think the policy should at least be tried to see if it works.
  • Options

148grss said:

Not.
    I think you know, but clearly suggesting his account of events may not be the whole truth.
  • Options
    theProle said:

The only long term sustainable position on a small and already overcrowded island is net zero immigration. By a happy coincidence for the Tories, not only is this ultimately inevitable, but it would be fairly popular with voters in general, and really popular with both their base, and all the red wall swing voters they won last time.
    The weird thing is that the Tories are so fixated on the headline GDP numbers they haven't gone for this.

As it is, they seem determined to push their core voters to Reform whilst alienating everyone else as well.

On the plus side for them, if they manage to avoid Reform totally eating their lunch, winning against a wildly unpopular KS in 5 years time with a main policy of net zero migration is going to be extremely easy.
    I agree. I had this thought today

The pro-immigration lobby - a truly unholy alliance of the far left, the Woke left, the Remainers, and Tory neo-liberal right wing big business - have pushed the British (a genuinely tolerant bunch) to the edge of that tolerance, and almost over the edge. We are seeing cities transformed in short years, and still they push for MORE immigration

The centre cannot hold, this will all fall apart. Expect MAJOR ructions and a serious push for zero net migration. One in, one out
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    148grss said:

So, yesterday you claimed that Hamas's refusal to comply with the ICJ's demand to release the hostages was "understandable", even though presumably we're all agreed that hostage taking is a war crime.

Is this also understandable - perhaps because attempting to use a hospital as a shelter is itself a war crime, and the IDF were trying (successfully, by the looks of things!) to minimise civilian casualties, or does this game only work one way?

Or is "perfidy" that much worse than hostage taking?
  • Options
    Leon said:

PB BRAINS TRUST

I am making some nice money what with working so hard and halving my drinking and I am prepared to SPUNK IT all over some travel to the last corners of the the globe I do not know. The STANS rank high. I intend to go this summer

However it would be nice if I could get the Knappers Gazette to commission me to write about the “Rhyolite Sex Ticklers of Samarkand” so if any well travelled PBer thinks there is a story to be written about the STANS please tell me, and I will pray for you at the confluence of the Mekong and the Tonle Sap

The mountains of heaven: Tien Shan, that’s gotta be amazing. But what’s the angle?

Only been to Turkmenistan. There might be an interesting story on how the reputation of the completely bonkers Turkmenbashi - the one who renamed the days of the week after the members of his family and had a golden statue of himself rotating towards the sun - has fared since his demise. "What happens to a cult of personality when the personality moves on?"
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

148grss said:

Not.
    You can see from the Tweet that it is substantiated but here you are:-
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/watch-israeli-soldiers-in-disguise-raid-west-bank-hospital-to-kill-three-hamas-terrorists/ar-BB1htPdV
  • Options

She has said no way. But...

If her Party/nation called, would she really throw that chance away? Be interesting to see some polling. But you'd have to think she'd make a fascinating first female President.
  • Options
    FPT
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Bored again

BUT TODAY I AM ALLOWED TO DRINK

hahahah

But what if you choose not to ?
    I would literally expire from the tedium

Tomorrow another dry day. And so it goes

Getting an AWFUL lot of work done, tho
    I haven't had a drink for 18 months. It does make life very boring. But you sleep better.
  • Options

Leon said:

PB BRAINS TRUST

Only been to Turkmenistan. There might be an interesting story on how the reputation of the completely bonkers Turkmenbashi - the one who renamed the days of the week after the members of his family and had a golden statue of himself rotating towards the sun - has fared since his demise. "What happens to a cult of personality when the personality moves on?"
    Nice, and obregado, but I’m thinking of more travel-y ideas

Was Turkmenistan fun? Highlights? Unknown corners?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

What's not clear to me is why it flows to Michelle Obama and not his perfectly adequate Vice President. Or if you have a way for it to flow around Kamala Harris, why it doesn't instead flow to some other famous American non-politician like Oprah Winfrey or Taylor Swift.
  • Options
    edited January 30

malcolmg said:

148grss said:

Not.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/watch-israeli-soldiers-in-disguise-raid-west-bank-hospital-to-kill-three-hamas-terrorists/ar-BB1htPdV
    Were those Hamas terrorists (© MSN) in the hospital having hip replacements?
  • Options

What's not clear to me is why it flows to Michelle Obama and not his perfectly adequate Vice President. Or if you have a way for it to flow around Kamala Harris, why it doesn't instead flow to some other famous American non-politician like Oprah Winfrey or Taylor Swift.
    Swift won't be 35 until after the election, but before the inauguration, so does that mean she's eligible?

She'd clearly be a great president, but there would be concerns the work would get in the way of her music.
  • Options

President Swift could turn round the fortunes of the US quite rapidly.
  • Options
    Have just read about Sunak's visit to This Morning.

Rejoice!

Britain has turned a corner, away from the misery of the last 14 years of Labour governments. He has a plan. So of course he is confident that he can win the election. The alternative is that we go back to square one and suffer again that Labour government we have had since 2010.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

FPT

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Bored again

BUT TODAY I AM ALLOWED TO DRINK

hahahah

But what if you choose not to ?
    I would literally expire from the tedium

Tomorrow another dry day. And so it goes

Getting an AWFUL lot of work done, tho
    I haven't had a drink for 18 months. It does make life very boring. But you sleep better.
    Is this for medical reasons AAMOI. I ask because many of my friends have cut down drinking significantly, as have I. One has given it up completely but does from time to time bemoan the absence of a good glass of burgundy, or whatever. I have no idea why they don't just have the odd glass of wine.

I get the "all or nothing" mentality but it seems illogical. My friend doesn't think that one glass will lead to 10 pints of snakebite and five bottles of a decent red.
  • Options

Rejoice!

Britain has turned a corner, away from the misery of the last 14 years of Labour governments. He has a plan. So of course he is confident that he can win the election. The alternative is that we go back to square one and suffer again that Labour government we have had since 2010.

You have to admire his eternal optimism in the face of 20 point Labour leads in the polls.
  • Options

I am not Ken Clarke's biggest fan (nothing personal against him, just strongly disagree with his politics) but largely I agree with him here on the Rwanda - yes asylum applications probably should be processed outside of destination, but the choice of Rwanda is puzzling. My guess is it was a 'quick fix' because Rwanda already had some sort of asylum industry set up and other countries did not? I am also puzzled that they cannot come back from Rwanda. It seems fairly simple and fair to me to bring back successful applicants on the planes that the others went out on (preferably far lighter on the return trip). It would still massively deter bogus claimants (providing the system was rigorous), and would mean Rwanda wouldn't 'fill up'.

My conclusion is a bit different though - I think the policy should at least be tried to see if it works.

As discussed on the previous thread, perhaps the idea should be for Western countries to get together and buy cheap one of those empty Chinese cities that their banks don’t want to totally write off, and operate it as a massive free zone under some form of agreed Western law?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

148grss said:

Not.
    I doubt it. This may shock you but Hamas terrorists are not nice people. That doesn't mean the IDF haven't been a bit naughty on this occasion.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Rejoice!

You have to admire his eternal optimism in the face of 20 point Labour leads in the polls.
    What else can he do? Besides, SOMETHING might turn up...
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

Swift won't be 35 until after the election, but before the inauguration, so does that mean she's eligible?

She'd clearly be a great president, but there would be concerns the work would get in the way of her music.
    Pretty sure it's the inauguration.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    edited January 30
    Leon said:

PB BRAINS TRUST

There's already been a good travel story of the Stans written, which is

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sovietistan-Turkmenistan-Kazakhstan-Tajikistan-Kyrgyzstan/dp/0857057774

and worth a read.

I spent a couple of weeks in Kyrgyzstan about 12 years ago, which was an interesting and enjoyable holiday (also about 3 days in Kazakhstan, as I went there by train - very flat).

I was on a (personal) guided tour, which helped with the travel, meals, bookings and so on. In some ways it's like a much wilder version of Switzerland. Phenomenal scenery, iffy politics, shepherds up mountains, lakeside towns, the world mostly passing it by. In other ways, less so. It's a semi-dry country, alcohol-wise (they brew some weird thing out of milk but I was suffering altitude sickness at the time after spending a night in a yurt above 3000m, so gave it a pass). As the Stans go, it's the most liberal still, though that also makes it the least safe but generally not dangerously so other than in identifiable areas of e.g. Bishkek.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

148grss said:

Not.
    I doubt it. This may shock you but Hamas terrorists are not nice people. That doesn't mean the IDF haven't been a bit naughty on this occasion.
    By killing terrorists? Who by some accounts (and who knows) were planning an attack?

Which was the naughty bit.
  • Options
    edited January 30
    Sandpit said:

As discussed on the previous thread, perhaps the idea should be for Western countries to get together and buy cheap one of those empty Chinese cities that their banks don’t want to totally write off, and operate it as a massive free zone under some form of agreed Western law?
    So we get a Uyghur refugee from China, give them asylum, and then send them off to China? And pay China an enormous wedge for this? Better than Labour, as they have no plan......
  • Options
    Ukrainians in UK shocked by shortage of dentists, survey finds
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/jan/30/ukrainians-uk-shocked-shortage-dentists-survey

Bloody Ukrainians, coming here, nicking our dentists and freelance language teachers.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,008
    Leon said:

PB BRAINS TRUST

You have asked this before and I have answered it before. That famously high IQ is in inevitable decline.

Chechnya is were the stories are. Islamic/OCG statelet and Russian satrapy.
  • Options

Pretty sure it's the inauguration.
    Yes, Inauguration Day. Same applies to AOC who’s almost exactly the same age as Miss Swift.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

PB BRAINS TRUST

Nice, and obregado, but I’m thinking of more travel-y ideas

Was Turkmenistan fun? Highlights? Unknown corners?
    To be fair, only saw Ashgabat, which was underwhelming. The country is 70% desert, so not hugely inviting. As mentioned previously, it does have the world's largest carpet, but I suspect the other Stans have more romance...

On the Stans, I did go up towards the high Himalayas in Pakistan in the days before the Taliban, which was exquisitely beautiful "Oooh - look over there - K2!" but I doubt it is doable now without serious risk to life and limb. One of the remarkable things up there was stopping and talking to people (when I say people - men) who looked like all other Pakistanis, but with piercing blue eyes - a throwback to when the armies of Alexander the Great wandered around there...
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Sandpit said:

“Ken Clarke is dead…”

Was a little concerned for a minute there.

If you open the right number of tabs on a desk/lap-top, that is exactly what you'll see!
  • Options

148grss said:

Not.
    I think you know, but clearly suggesting his account of events may not be the whole truth.
    It is all over the news, following the IDF's account. His spin is the Geneva Convention but the realpolitik is that Bibi, like Vladimir, will not end up in The Hague.
This discussion has been closed.