Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Just two weeks to go before the Iowa caucuses – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,697
edited January 8 in General
imageJust two weeks to go before the Iowa caucuses – politicalbetting.com

The first event in this year’s White House Race takes place in just a fortnight when the Republican Party holds its caucuses in Iowa. This is very different from an ordinary primary because what happens is that Republican voters have to attend caucuses at the local Precinct centre in order to meet and cast their votes for the candidate they want to be selected

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,537
    edited January 2
    Getting the nomination, and losing election more convincing than last time, should, at last, see Trump’s hold over the GOP start to fracture, flake and drop off.

But if he is shocked in the caucuses and primaries, how exactly he reacts to having genuine opponent is likely to be memorable. 🫠

EDIT. First 😝
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

Getting the nomination, and losing election more convincing than last time, should, at last, see Trump’s hold over the GOP start to fracture, flake and drop off.

But if he is shocked in the caucuses and primaries, how exactly he reacts to having genuine opponent is likely to be memorable. 🫠

EDIT. First 😝

I hope you're right, but I fear there's lots of wishful thinking there, sadly.

It's entirely possible, even probable, that if he gets the nomination he'll win the Presidency again, especially as the incumbent, who is pretty incompetent and clearly well past whatever competence he once had, refuses to step aside for a new generation.

In which case the Free World, with an erratic America and powerful, aggressive dictatorships around the world, is in uncharted territory, at any rate since the 1930s.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    For Trump to lose Iowa would be such a magnificent polling failure, I can't think of any precedent for a polling failure that big.

I guess if people are naming him to pollsters to show they support him but they don't really want him to be president?

Or I guess SCOTUS could say he was disqualified but that has to be low-single-digit probability in itself, it would be extra weird for it to happen so quickly, and they'd probably vote for him anyway.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,478
    Forget Trump. The interesting question is who comes second: DeSantis or Haley? A few threads back, in response to reports that RDS was running out of money, that based on polling he could come second in Iowa and would then withdraw rather than be beaten by Haley in New Hampshire just a week later. This would allow RDS to endorse Trump and hope to pick up the MAGA vote next time round, four years from now.

But if it now looks as if Haley can beat RDS in Iowa as well, the man is toast and might as well go back now to his day job of running Florida into the ground.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Actually it seems like there hasn't been any polling for a couple of weeks so we could be missing the Asa Hutchinson surge or whatever.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Article from about 18 months ago.

"Cashless society is killing off the traditional coin-operated public phone box"

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-10952227/Cashless-society-killing-phone-box-one-call-save-yours.html

I thought they were all being used as hotels for asylum seeking books these days

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927
    The header graph doesn’t make sense. How was Trump over 80% and DeSantis over 40% until last week? Haley was 10% too, that’s a rather massive over-round.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    edited January 2
    How much do the Iowa caucuses really matter? Trump lost in 2016 and still went on to win the nomination. And delegates are appointed proportionally so unless Trump wins a victory as big as his ego all three of him, DS and Haley are likely to get something from it.

The New Hampshire primary is likely to be more significant but unless Haley wins it or comes so close she frightens Trump into actually punching her I don’t think it will stop him.

As we saw rather graphically on the last thread, the Republicans are way past reason on the subject of Trump (or Biden, for that matter).
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"Cashless society is killing off the traditional coin-operated public phone box"

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-10952227/Cashless-society-killing-phone-box-one-call-save-yours.html

I thought they were all being used as hotels for asylum seeking books these days

Or defibrillators.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,908
    ydoethur said:

How much do the Iowa caucuses really matter? Trump lost in 2016 and still went on to win the nomination. And delegates are appointed proportionally so unless Trump wins a victory as big as his ego all three of him, DS and Haley are likely to get something from it.

The New Hampshire primary is likely to be more significant but unless Haley wins it or comes so close she frightens Trump into actually punching her I don’t think it will stop him.

As we saw rather graphically on the last thread, the Republicans are way past reason on the subject of Trump (or Biden, for that matter).

I thought that only the Dems distributed their delegates proportionately, whereas the Reps had a winner takes all distribution.
  • Options
    AverageNinjaAverageNinja Posts: 1,169
    Thank you for your response @isam. Agreed about CHB, a total prat. But we are worse off without him. Oh well.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

ydoethur said:

I thought that only the Dems distributed their delegates proportionately, whereas the Reps had a winner takes all distribution.
    No.

Here’s the result from 2016:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Iowa_Republican_presidential_caucuses

Everything I’ve seen suggests it’s the same this time, although if you know better from a reliable source I’m happy to be corrected.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,807
    Sandpit said:

The header graph doesn’t make sense. How was Trump over 80% and DeSantis over 40% until last week? Haley was 10% too, that’s a rather massive over-round.

Probably last matched price and no-one backed RDS between Jun-Nov. It is a very low liquidity market.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,303
    Good morning again all. I shall try again today, wishing you all a Happy New Year.

Could anyone give me a brief résumé of pb regulars’ health over the past two months, without breaking confidences etc.? I was concerned about a couple of people who were suffering from various things at the time when I went away.

I know OGH had a fall, which sounded very nasty.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Good morning again all. I shall try again today, wishing you all a Happy New Year.

Could anyone give me a brief résumé of pb regulars’ health over the past two months, without breaking confidences etc.? I was concerned about a couple of people who were suffering from various things at the time when I went away.

OGH had a fall and a hospital stay.

OKC is suffering from various ailments and is using a wheelchair.

Big G North Wales has had heart problems and needs a pacemaker.

Happy new year to you as well.

(You will note I nobly resisted using annoying acronyms!)
  • Options
    edited January 2
    ydoethur said:

Heathener said:

Thanks so much yd. Much appreciated.

Really sorry to hear about the issues for all three. @Big_G_NorthWales is a concern :(

I may be heading off again for a time but hope they, and all on here, have as good a year as possible.

Oh, and my only prediction for 2024, apart from the obvious one about Labour winning, is that I don’t think Sunak has the courage to go for Spring. He’s a ditherer so I expect him to flail around until October or even November. It will be a mistake.
  • Options
    edited January 2
    Oh and Liverpool or Man City for the EPL title.

Liverpool were very good last night. They’ve only lost once this season and that was a highly dubious one at the THFC stadium.

@TSE shameless sucking up for a brownie point or two.

Also, is Eddie Howe in danger? For those who bet on football, is he the next Premier League manager to face the sack? Or perhaps Thomas Frank?
  • Options
    Interesting story in the fight against AI-generated fake images.

Camera manufacturers Canon, Nikon, and Sony, are to introduce digital signatures to their professional-grade cameras, so that photojournalists and media outlets can verify them as authentic.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Technology/Nikon-Sony-and-Canon-fight-AI-fakes-with-new-camera-tech
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Probably last matched price and no-one backed RDS between Jun-Nov. It is a very low liquidity market.
    Ah yes, maybe. Only £1200 traded in eight months!
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,807
    Heathener said:

Liverpool were very good last night. They’ve only lost once this season and that was a highly dubious one at the THFC stadium.

Also, is Eddie Howe in danger? For those who bet on football, is he the next Premier League manager to face the sack? Or perhaps Thomas Frank.

Howe should be the favourite. Doubt it will be Frank, their form also down to injuries but Benham et al will allow for that whereas the Saudis won't care. Ten Haag also must be close to going but get the feeling Ratcliffe wants to change from a position of stability rather than throw everything in the air at once.
  • Options
    On topic - sort of…

• Options
    MattW said:

Heathener said:

ydoethur said:

Heathener said:

Really sorry to hear about the issues for all three. @Big_G_NorthWales is a concern :(

I may be heading off again for a time but hope they, and all on here, have as good a year as possible.

Oh, and my only prediction for 2024, apart from the obvious one about Labour winning, is that I don’t think Sunak has the courage to go for Spring. He’s a ditherer so I expect him to flail around until October or even November. It will be a mistake.
    On the upside, my Docs are happy and I am getting back to normal after chemo. Starting to do some new things again, which is nice.

Checkups have just been stepped down to a phone call every 6 weeks, and my white cell boosting jabs have been stepped down to one a week from three a week a couple of months ago, as apparently I had too many now - there are acceptable limits at both top and bottom ends.

Have a good break if you take one.
    Gosh, Matt. Rooting for you on the road to recovery. I hope you feel better week by week from here. x
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,095
    Sandpit said:

On topic - sort of…

• Options

Heathener said:

Also, is Eddie Howe in danger? For those who bet on football, is he the next Premier League manager to face the sack? Or perhaps Thomas Frank.

Howe should be the favourite. Doubt it will be Frank, their form also down to injuries but Benham et al will allow for that whereas the Saudis won't care. Ten Haag also must be close to going but get the feeling Ratcliffe wants to change from a position of stability rather than throw everything in the air at once.
    Woy is the best bet in the sack race, in my view. Ten Hag and Howe are helped by relatively limited set of mid-season options seen as "world class" whereas Palace aren't shopping in that market.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,728
    Iowa, unlike most places, does allocate delegates proportionally. There’s not even any minimum threshold. So, yes, we can expect Trump, DeSantis and Haley to all pick up delegates, maybe even Ramaswamy.

That’s the order polling has them in: T, DeS, H, R, Christie, Hutchinson. Showing how unimportant endorsements are, DeSantis has the most endorsements of Iowa elected GOP politicians, including the Governor.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    Heathener said:

ydoethur said:

Heathener said:

We need to look after Big_G, for the outcome of the next election rests upon him. Or at least, upon his ilk.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    The Korean opposition leader is very lucky to be alive after this attack.

Main opposition party chief attacked during visit to Busan
    https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=366185
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

The Korean opposition leader is very lucky to be alive after this attack.

Main opposition party chief attacked during visit to Busan
    https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=366185

An unfortunate choice of headline, in that context.

2024 general elections likely to be neck-and-neck race
    https://m.koreatimes.co.kr/pages/article.asp?newsIdx=366062

The President currently has approval ratings which make Biden's look good, but there's a general lack of trust in politicians, so it's likely to be a close election.
    The opposition leader is under criminal indictment.
    ...polls, conducted between Dec. 26 and 27, revealed that 35 percent of 1,000 people aged 18 and above who were surveyed remain undecided about which party candidate to vote for in their constituency in the upcoming elections. Another 29 percent said they would vote for a PPP candidate, while 25 percent voiced support for a DPK candidate.

Among the respondents, 30 percent agreed that the DPK should win the elections to help indicate the public's disapproval of Yoon's government, while 26 percent believed that the PPP should win, thereby showing their distrust of the main opposition party. However, another 22 percent said both sides deserve the public's disapproval...

• Options
    RattersRatters Posts: 796
    ydoethur said:

OFSTED cancels all inspections except emergency safeguarding ones while its staff are trained.
    https://www.theguardian.com/education/2024/jan/02/ofsted-bows-to-pressure-and-halts-inspections-after-ruth-perrys-suicide

I hope Oliver remembers to include the safeguarding and GDPR training that’s also not been happening, and to get the DBS mess and some actual safeguarding procedures sorted.

At least he seems to understand the problem. On the BBC this morning he was not pulling his punches about the state of the organisation and the reputational damage it has suffered. A refreshing contrast to Spielman. Let’s see if he follows up.

It does seem to be starting on the right foot. Whether he is able to follow through with the required organisational change will of course take longer to assess.

I'm intrigued given your expertise in this area: would you say school Ofsted reports should be taken with a pinch of salt, or are they barely worth considering? From a parent's perspective, that is.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    IanB2 said:

Heathener said:

ydoethur said:

Heathener said:

We need to look after Big_G, for the outcome of the next election rests upon him. Or at least, upon his ilk.
    Whether Sunak can wrestle back the likes of @Big_G_NorthWales or not is the difference between a respectable defeat and a massacre for the Tories. The former would make them competitive in 2028, the latter would not.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Crazy predictions for 2024.

10) @Leon will be proved right about something.

This prediction was written by AI...
  • Options
    edited January 2
    Ratters said:

ydoethur said:

OFSTED cancels all inspections except emergency safeguarding ones while its staff are trained.
    https://www.theguardian.com/education/2024/jan/02/ofsted-bows-to-pressure-and-halts-inspections-after-ruth-perrys-suicide

I hope Oliver remembers to include the safeguarding and GDPR training that’s also not been happening, and to get the DBS mess and some actual safeguarding procedures sorted.

At least he seems to understand the problem. On the BBC this morning he was not pulling his punches about the state of the organisation and the reputational damage it has suffered. A refreshing contrast to Spielman. Let’s see if he follows up.

It does seem to be starting on the right foot. Whether he is able to follow through with the required organisational change will of course take longer to assess.

I'm intrigued given your expertise in this area: would you say school Ofsted reports should be taken with a pinch of salt, or are they barely worth considering? From a parent's perspective, that is.
    Unfortunately, the answer is it depends rather a lot on the inspection team.

And since you are given no information about the inspectors other than their names - no statistics on how far their judgements are borne out by subsequent inspections, for example, or how many safeguarding breaches they have been accused (it should be none but that's not the way OFSTED works) - I would say that parents should probably not rely on them.

They might be useful as part of research into a school before visiting it so you know what to look for, as events like Caversham where the report was essentially made up are still in my experience comparatively rare.

But even allowing for that inspectors tend only to see what they're looking for, and in any case the rigidity of the criteria they use means the school reflects the criteria rather than whether your particular child would find the school a good place to be.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

Are you sure? He said he was an alien...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,554
    Well.

Mhairi Black has said she was always “uncomfortable” with the SNP’s singular reliance on Nicola Sturgeon’s personality to promote the party.

The nationalists’ deputy leader at Westminster said that her former leader’s departure from office was “quite healthy because I’m a big believer in politics should be about policy as opposed to personality”.

Black said that she has not missed Sturgeon since Scotland’s longest-serving first minister quit last spring but predicted that she would “still have a part to play in future years”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sturgeon-cult-of-personality-was-uncomfortable-says-black-5gv7rqtqs
  • Options

Well.

Mhairi Black has said she was always “uncomfortable” with the SNP’s singular reliance on Nicola Sturgeon’s personality to promote the party.

The nationalists’ deputy leader at Westminster said that her former leader’s departure from office was “quite healthy because I’m a big believer in politics should be about policy as opposed to personality”.

Black said that she has not missed Sturgeon since Scotland’s longest-serving first minister quit last spring but predicted that she would “still have a part to play in future years”.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sturgeon-cult-of-personality-was-uncomfortable-says-black-5gv7rqtqs

Pontius Pilate feels her pain...

I wonder what's about to burn through now?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,521

Andy_JS said:

In London, I can’t remember the last time I saw a phone box that was actually a phone box. Rather than repurposed.
  • Options
    edited January 2
    ydoethur said:

Ratters said:

ydoethur said:

Unfortunately, the answer is it depends rather a lot on the inspection team.

And since you are given no information about the inspectors other than their names - no statistics on how far their judgements are borne out by subsequent inspections, for example, or how many safeguarding breaches they have been accused (it should be none but that's not the way OFSTED works) - I would say that parents should probably not rely on them.

They might be useful as part of research into a school before visiting it so you know what to look for, as events like Caversham where the report was essentially made up are still in my experience comparatively rare.

But even allowing for that inspectors tend only to see what they're looking for, and in any case the rigidity of the criteria they use means the school reflects the criteria rather than whether your particular child would find the school a good place to be.
    That sounds a fair judgment from my experience, too.

As an aside, this morning's announcement from the new guy in charge is at least an admission of how deeply in denial Spielman was.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Just to give everyone a bit of a giggle here is a list of things that definitely will not happen because they are so very very silly.

1) Vladimir Putin will come up with a new policy on the Ukraine war which involves withdrawal of all Russian troops and not killing people.
    2) The Supreme Court will rule 8-0 that Donald Trump as a mad dangerous fascist who has tried to overthrow the government of the United States is ineligible to be president under the 14th amendment.
    3) Clarence Thomas will honourably recuse himself from every case involving Donald Trump.
    4) The republican nominee will be somebody sane and the democratic nominee will be somebody aged below 107. The winner will be decided by an arm wrestle rather than all that boring and outdated nonsense with the Electoral College so the Russians/Republicans can’t rig the vote.
    5) Rishi Sunak will call an election at an opportune moment.
    6) Inspired however by the enthusiastic endorsement of @bigJohnowls, Keir Starmer will win an overall majority of around 250.
    7) Despite their shattering defeat, the Tories see sense and elect Penny Mordaunt as their new leader rather than a complete nut case (the complete nut case in question being Suella Braverman)
    8) Jos Buttler and Ben Stokes will resign. The England cricket team led by Zak Crawley will win every single test plus a one day international against a scratch team from Outer Mongolia.
    9) Lancashire will have their finest ever year in the championship inspired by their new coach Dale Benkenstein.
    And finally, just in case you thought I was serious:

You were doing well until 10)

Put the crack pipe back in the locker where you found it ;-)
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

Are you sure? He said he was an alien...
    Woke? Trans?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Just to give everyone a bit of a giggle here is a list of things that definitely will not happen because they are so very very silly.

1) Vladimir Putin will come up with a new policy on the Ukraine war which involves withdrawal of all Russian troops and not killing people.
    2) The Supreme Court will rule 8-0 that Donald Trump as a mad dangerous fascist who has tried to overthrow the government of the United States is ineligible to be president under the 14th amendment.
    3) Clarence Thomas will honourably recuse himself from every case involving Donald Trump.
    4) The republican nominee will be somebody sane and the democratic nominee will be somebody aged below 107. The winner will be decided by an arm wrestle rather than all that boring and outdated nonsense with the Electoral College so the Russians/Republicans can’t rig the vote.
    6) Inspired however by the enthusiastic endorsement of @bigJohnowls, Keir Starmer will win an overall majority of around 250.
    7) Despite their shattering defeat, the Tories see sense and elect Penny Mordaunt as their new leader rather than a complete nut case (the complete nut case in question being Suella Braverman)
    8) Jos Buttler and Ben Stokes will resign. The England cricket team led by Zak Crawley will win every single test plus a one day international against a scratch team from Outer Mongolia.
    9) Lancashire will have their finest ever year in the championship inspired by their new coach Dale Benkenstein.

Could have been worse. The original one was 'The DfE will be right about something.'
  • Options
    A
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Could have been worse. The original one was 'The DfE will be right about something.'
    They have been right about something.

They got their name right on their website.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    A of ’shit’ on R4 atm. Entirely connectedly they’re interviewing Cleverly.
  • Options
    A
    ydoethur said:

Well.

Is that the sound of someone being thrown under the bus camper van?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

In London, I can’t remember the last time I saw a phone box that was actually a phone box. Rather than repurposed.
    I am loving the idea that it was a cashless society and not mobile phones that killed off phone boxes.
  • Options

@IanDunt

Cleverley is by far one of the most impressive communicators on the government front bench. But even in his case, there is this very clear sense of entitlement, arrogance and bitter resentment.

Really very common with this lot, from Sunak on down. The slightest questioning, and this properly - seemingly personally - angry response emerges.
  • Options

A

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Really?

They say they are *for* education.

Although I suppose that's an issue around performance rather than nomenclature.
  • Options
    edited January 2
    ydoethur said:

Well.

I was more thinking Saint Peter.

How many times will Mhairi Black deny Nicola Sturgeon before the cock crows?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I am loving the idea that it was a cashless society and not mobile phones that killed off phone boxes.
    Indeed. Especially since even vending machines are going cashless.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

To be honest, universal landlines probably didn't exactly help either.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@IanDunt

Cleverley is by far one of the most impressive communicators on the government front bench. But even in his case, there is this very clear sense of entitlement, arrogance and bitter resentment.

Really very common with this lot, from Sunak on down. The slightest questioning, and this properly - seemingly personally - angry response emerges.
    When Grant Shapps is second, that's a low bar.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@IanDunt

Shouldn't that be 'improperly angry' ?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

@IanDunt

When Grant Shapps is second, that's a low bar.
    David Cameron is the government’s best communicator by far, the rest look like dwarves trying to play basketball with Andre the Giant.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

A

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Really?

It’s an aspirational thing. Come on, you must have done the courses on how you deal with the kids who are really, really behind? You don’t condemn, you praise, set achievable intermediary goals, don’t say they will never….?

One day the DfE will be educated. Today is not that day.
  • Options

Well.

I thought that SNP policy had evolved from independence being quite a good idea in theory but maybe not just yet plus whatever insanity the Greens have come up with this week to independence being quite a good idea but those Greens are a bit embarrassing, aren't they?

Which, in fairness to Yousless, is a very small step in the right direction.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

They’ve been cashless for years.

I even had a cabbie tell me off for trying to pay him with cash.

He hates carrying cash as it is a security risk and the nearest branch is 40 mins away.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

A

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Really?

It’s an aspirational thing. Come on, you must have done the courses on how you deal with the kids who are really, really behind? You don’t condemn, you praise, set achievable intermediary goals, don’t say they will never….?

One day the DfE will be educated. Today is not that day.
    It's not about whether they're educated. They've all been educated.*

It's about whether they're for education or against it.

*The best argument for private schools is that they somehow got the likes of Spielman, Gribbell and Acland-Hood through a-levels. They must be fecking amazing to do that given how dim they all are.
  • Options
    On the topic of thin skinned politicians.

Boebert faults Ryan Reynolds, Barbra Streisand for her district switch
    https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4384160-boebert-faults-ryan-reynolds-barbra-streisand-district-switch/
    ...“It’s coming from Hollywood when you have Barbra Streisand coming in and donating to the Democrat, when you have Ryan Reynolds coming in and donating to the Democrat,” she said. “It shows you that Hollywood is trying to buy their way into Congress.”
    According to Federal Election Commission filings, Streisand donated $1,000 to Frisch’s campaign in April, while Reynolds donated $500 in March...

• Options
    Nigelb said:

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4384160-boebert-faults-ryan-reynolds-barbra-streisand-district-switch/
    ...“It’s coming from Hollywood when you have Barbra Streisand coming in and donating to the Democrat, when you have Ryan Reynolds coming in and donating to the Democrat,” she said. “It shows you that Hollywood is trying to buy their way into Congress.”
    According to Federal Election Commission filings, Streisand donated $1,000 to Frisch’s campaign in April, while Reynolds donated $500 in March...

If it's not for sale, why has she sold out by switching to the 4th district?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

It’s funny isn’t it. For years the GOP used the money is free speech argument when it came to donations but now they are getting outspent by the Dems….
  • Options

If the Tories are to make Isandlwana look like a below average result they really, urgently need someone to get a grip of the messaging. And their first task will surely be to ensure that Cleverly is very, very rarely available for interview. Of course, finding suitable candidates for taking his place is not entirely straightforward...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

If the Tories are to make Isandlwana look like a below average result they really, urgently need someone to get a grip of the messaging. And their first task will surely be to ensure that Cleverly is very, very rarely available for interview.
    Richi could sack him
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,472

Andy_JS said:

They’ve been cashless for years.

I even had a cabbie tell me off for trying to pay him with cash.

He hates carrying cash as it is a security risk and the nearest branch is 40 mins away.
    It's changed quickly though.

Ten years ago I remember you had to have cash to get a cab, or you couldn't get home.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,284
    First client day of 2024 (as we use the English calendar not Scottish...). Amongst other things I am determined to shed the excess weight I am carrying - need to drop an exciting
    32kg to get back to my fighting weight of summer 2020.

Debilitating cough doesn't help!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

The last time I think Iowa meant something was when it went heavily for Obama (over Clinton) in 2008.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,728
    It is central to Trump’s appeal and to his self-image that he’s a “winner”, so losing in Iowa — which seems unlikely, but is possible — could be important, more important for Trump than for a run-of-the-mill candidate.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

The last time I think Iowa meant something was when it went heavily for Obama (over Clinton) in 2008.
    And what it meant then was that Hilary really had no idea how to organise a ground campaign and Obama and his team did. It is truly a bizarre system and it is extraordinary that Iowa persists with it rather than something even vaguely democratic.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    If you’re finding the hysteria of flint knappers a bit boring, try ‘international man of history’ Niall Ferguson for some proper catastrophising.

https://x.com/nfergus/status/1741547139304755343?s=61&t=LYVEHh2mqFy1oUJAdCfe-Q
  • Options

First client day of 2024 (as we use the English calendar not Scottish...). Amongst other things I am determined to shed the excess weight I am carrying - need to drop an exciting

Well done, that makes me feel better about only having to lose 22kg. Going to make a real effort this year, just as soon as the Christmas chocolates are finished.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

DavidL said:

If the Tories are to make Isandlwana look like a below average result they really, urgently need someone to get a grip of the messaging. And their first task will surely be to ensure that Cleverly is very, very rarely available for interview.
    Richi could sack him
    Well, obviously in any vaguely competent government he would have done but here we are dealing with the dregs and sackings for incompetence or rank stupidity would set a dangerous precedent.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,666

EDIT. First 😝

IAHIR the current "Number of Republican Candidates for President who have received death threats" is three.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283

If you’re finding the hysteria of flint knappers a bit boring, try ‘international man of history’ Niall Ferguson for some proper catastrophising.

Seems quite reasonable point of view to me.

Ukraine is the test and the west is failing.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283

ydoethur said:

Buttigieg doing very well in Iowa but such a mess in vote counting that there was no result until the caravan had moved on.

May have made all the difference in later primaries. We will never know.
  • Options
    Have we noted that Tom Scott has gone on undefined sabbatical from Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DKv5H5Frt0

Tom Scott - just another of the phalanx of world-defining people from Mansfield !!
  • Options

Seems quite reasonable point of view to me.

Ukraine is the test and the west is failing.
    I don't think that the West, and in particular the US, has failed in Ukraine. But there is a fear that it might, particularly if Trump were re-elected at which point it will be faites vos jouz for all of America's erstwhile allies, including us.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@IanDunt

He's communicating his diminishing reputation very impressively.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,971

Thank you for your response @isam. Agreed about CHB, a total prat. But we are worse off without him. Oh well.

Oh I wouldn’t say we were worse off without him, even if we were without him!

But fancy you and he asking the same question about poor old Plato?!
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,845

ydoethur said:

Though if Iowa Democrats had counted efficiently in 2020, maybe Buttigieg's campaign would have had more momentum.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,284
    DavidL said:

Well done, that makes me feel better about only having to lose 22kg. Going to make a real effort this year, just as soon as the Christmas chocolates are finished.
    That all stopped as the piper welcomed the new year. We have *loads* left, but all with long dates. So it can all stay in the pantry for now...
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,845
    DavidL said:

Good luck guys. I am aiming to drop 6kg, which would take me from light-heavy to middleweight. Last winter I was a cruiserweight.
    What's this, though? Another box of matchmakers? Don't mind if I do.
  • Options

Trying and failing to access Ferguson's article led to this chart which is quite interesting:

https://twitter.com/opinion/status/1205645070726242305/photo/1

Basically, carbon emissions would have fallen since 2007 but for the increases in China and India. The US and the EU have both done rather well but the net effect is still increasing emissions.
  • Options
    edited January 2
    I'll predict - having had a quick look at the trials and judgements Trump is facing in January - that the wheels are finally going to start to come off.

And that some of it *may* be in time to have an impact for the Iowa caucuses.

There are both Civil and Criminal cases in New York for a start.

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,971
    I mean this in a totally non derogatory way, but I watched this video for ten seconds or so because I couldn’t tell if it was a man or a woman being interviewed, decided it was a young man… and it’s Mhairi Black. Could be a 23 year old from a Scottish Indie band

https://x.com/timesradio/status/1742096773223510097?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q
  • Options
    MattW said:

I'll predict - having had a quick look at the trials and judgements Trump is facing in January - that the wheels are finally going to start to come off.

I'd like to think you're right, but his entire movement is fuelled by grievance, and the court stuff is grist to his mill.
  • Options
    isam said:

I mean this in a totally non derogatory way, but I watched this video for ten seconds or so because I couldn’t tell if it was a man or a woman being interviewed, decided it was a young man… and it’s Mhairi Black. Could be a 23 year old from a Scottish Indie band

https://x.com/timesradio/status/1742096773223510097?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

She's 29 but she's definitely from a Scottish Indie band. None bigger than the SNP.
  • Options

DavidL said:

That all stopped as the piper welcomed the new year. We have *loads* left, but all with long dates. So it can all stay in the pantry for now...
    Your fortitude makes you a hero in my eyes, talking of which, thanks very much, one of the last remaining fudges.
  • Options
    The leader of the opposition in South Korea has been stabbed in the neck:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/south-korean-opposition-leader-lee-jae-myung-stabbed-in-neck-82svdbgpg

I worry, I really do.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,879
    edited January 2
    Just to reassure our Tories even less: the rent crisis really is entering popular culture, with the modern equivalents of Dickens getting their teeth into it (including extra tenants' problems added to Sims):

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2024/jan/02/from-furious-to-farcical-uk-popular-culture-tackles-the-home-rental-crisis

'The mouldy new version of Sims may be in response to the reality that more and more gamers are living as renters, but it has proven too much for some. A trailer for the game showed a player retching from multiplying mould in a shower and sprouting luminescent mushrooms impervious to blasts with anti-mould spray, leading one player to ask the game’s creators on social media: “Can we turn off the mould? Sorry, it just grosses me out.”'
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Trying and failing to access Ferguson's article led to this chart which is quite interesting:

Basically, carbon emissions would have fallen since 2007 but for the increases in China and India. The US and the EU have both done rather well but the net effect is still increasing emissions.
    But some, although not all, that progress by the US and EU has been achieved precisely by outsourcing to China and India!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Your fortitude makes you a hero in my eyes, talking of which, thanks very much, one of the last remaining fudges.
    'Tablet' surely: unless it's imported fudge from south of the border.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Heroes is a series of branded mini bars including Fudges, Crunchies, Wispas, etc etc. Other chocolates are, all too sadly, also available.
  • Options

DavidL said:

But some, although not all, that progress by the US and EU has been achieved precisely by outsourcing to China and India!
    Very true, although possibly even more true in the previous decade rather than the last one.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    A less than happy start to 2024 in Japan...

Japan Airlines plane in flames on the runway at Tokyo's Haneda Airport

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-67862011

• Options
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Heroes is a series of branded mini bars including Fudges, Crunchies, Wispas, etc etc. Other chocolates are, all too sadly, also available.
    Obviously you are far more expert in sweeties than I am (though regrettably I get my calories in other ways anyway)!
  • Options
    jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 647
    MattW said:

There are both Civil and Criminal cases in New York for a start.

\None of the cases, other than the property valuation one in New York, are expected to finish until months down the line when most of the primary process is done.
    Yes, people watching non-Fox news will see evidence being given and analysed during the trials, but Fox will cover as little as possible, as will the right wing online sources.
    So by the time the verdicts come down, and anything seeps into the brains of the Trump supporters, it's high;y likely he'll be unassailable for the nomination.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,593

PB posters and readers are, on the whole, people who like making predictions - q.v. yesterday passim.

Front stage historians come in about three flavours: centres left and right, and national treasures like Lord Hennessey. Our lives of drudgery are adorned by their offerings.

N Ferguson has a living to make and a name to sustain as a rational, traditional centre right western and pro western historian. He does it well. There is nothing in his TwiX here that is irrational, implausible or impossible. It's what happens if a handful of trajectories are sustained globally.

He is not catastrophising.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,775
    edited January 2

DavidL said:

I'd be curious to see what percentage, I suspect its rather small actually, given that much carbon usage is for sunk domestic things like heating, transportation, other domestic usage etc and not just industry.

Which is why "cumulative" carbon emissions charts are absolute batcrap crazy nonsense. The fact that people in the UK heated their homes by burning coal in fireplaces in the past, and that our electricity was coal powered in the past, has absolutely nothing to do with emissions today.

EDIT: DavidL is quite right that it was probably a much bigger factor in the prior decade rather than the last decade. As recently as 2012 we were still primarily using coal in our own electricity, now we almost never do, the change in our carbon in the last decade has been quite real and not just outsoucing.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,593
    DavidL said:

Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

This is misconceived. Celebrations, a series of branded, objectively disgusting but subjectively appealing, mini bars, are far superior and are turned to as soon as the posh Christmas time high end brand truffles have run out (which is tomorrow).
This discussion has been closed.