Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Replacing the irreplaceable – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,882

Leon said:

Leon said:

What do we think PB: is Trump stupid?

I'm gonna say No. He's not an intellectual, he's not even particularly educated, but he strikes me as cunning and conniving, and clever in a businessman-doing-deals kinda way. He also has emotional intelligence, he knows how to work a crowd, or press emo buttons, or get people so mad they lose it in response to him. Unfortunately he uses it all for malign purposes

You remind me of him
    Fuck off, I'm intellectual!
    Perhaps you need to re-invent yourself then as this current iteration is an idiot.
    He's tried that before, it never works.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Well the jury took their time but I am sorry to report that the overcrowding situation in Scottish jails just got worse.

Nicola Sturgeon has been convicted already?
    In the court of PB, guilty until proven innocent, unless the infinitely innocent is Boris Johnson.
    Did anyone on here claim that Boris was innocent of anything? I don't recall it. Some may have challenged the seriousness of various events but I don't recall anyone suggesting he was innocent.
    I think they claimed (and claim) not much to see, time to move on.
  • Options
    Sympathies to all those hard working people in Scotland including @DavidL who will be hammered by SNP's lunatic 45% tax rate from £75,000pa! 😡😡😡
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,723

Leon said:

Leon said:

I'm gonna say No. He's not an intellectual, he's not even particularly educated, but he strikes me as cunning and conniving, and clever in a businessman-doing-deals kinda way. He also has emotional intelligence, he knows how to work a crowd, or press emo buttons, or get people so mad they lose it in response to him. Unfortunately he uses it all for malign purposes

You remind me of him
    Perhaps you need to re-invent yourself then as this current iteration is an idiot.
    He's tried that before, it never works.
    Just a couple of times….

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,037
    edited December 2023

isam said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Well the jury took their time but I am sorry to report that the overcrowding situation in Scottish jails just got worse.

In the court of PB, guilty until proven innocent, unless the infinitely innocent is Boris Johnson.
    Did anyone on here claim that Boris was innocent of anything? I don't recall it. Some may have challenged the seriousness of various events but I don't recall anyone suggesting he was innocent.
    My take is that Johnson genuinely believed that they had tried to comply with the regulations. The events that we have seen photos off suggest that this is broadly true. He was not at the riotous parties (if indeed they happened as depicted in the recent TV drama).

Most people think that Johnson did not in fact adhere to the guidelines, but I can believe that he thought he had.
    He, or someone close to him, had the official photographer cover the ‘ambushed with a cake’ party - so I can’t believe he thought it was against the rules
    ...that applied to him.
    Yes. I don’t really care about the PB consensus, I think the rules should have been different for those working at No10 than they were for us, who in the main were working from home or sitting around taking furlough money. They were in the office with people every day, trying to deal with the pandemic
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Any case (Leon) do you think it helps the (in your mind's eye) good and noble fight against the likes of Critical Race Theory to have the word Woke stripped of all meaning other than 'things about the modern world that irritate the Spectator and the Daily Mail'? I'd have thought the opposite myself.

No, because the word Fascist - despite being misused and overused 8 trillion times a day - has not lost all meaning, not at all, see @david_herdson's eloquent appraisal of Trump below

Ditto Woke

This isn't quantum robotics. Try and keep up
    Trump reminds us there are clever fascists (Hilter obvs, Stalin) and stupid fascists (e.g. Mussolini).

The latter are very nasty and pose a threat but the former a catastrophically dangerous.

Fortunately Trump is stupendously stupid. Still much better he ends up in clink than in the White House again though.
    Mussolini was not stupid, he was bright and charismatic, and inspired adoration in his early followers

I'm not sure Trump is stupid, either. He's fecking weird and creepy, but stupid? Hmmm. Dunno
    Perhaps stupid is the wrong word. Inept maybe.

Clever, stupid, inept, adept, bright, dim, etc. are very ill-defined terms - Hitler was clever in many ways but made some pretty dumb decisions, after all.

It's all a lot more complex than my post suggested, I accept that.
    Hitler was able to assimilate a lot of information, for instance technical specs on weapons etc. He lacked a broader analysis - he tended to be very focussed on certain things. He did not travel much outside Germany (save his Paris visit in 1940) and has no conception of the strength of the British Navy and latterly Air Force in 1940. He was a reckless gambler that won a few big wins early in his career and became deluded as to the reasons for success.

He was a brilliant orator, and reportedly a very good mimic. He could be good company, and there is no doubt that many of his inner circle idolised him.

Mussolini was trapped in a poor nation trying to play at the high stakes table. By siding with the Nazis he doomed his country and regime. If he had stayed neutral, or even joined the allies he could have ruled far longer, but the lure of a new Roman empire was too strong.
    On the subject of orators, where have they all gone? And why?

Hitler, Churchill, FDR, JFK, Lloyd George by all accounts, who can compare today?

Even Thatcher, Reagan, Blair and Obama leave today's politicians sounding like hesitant kids on their first day at top school.

Am I missing any greats today?
  • Options
    Scotland introduces 45% band for 75k-125k earners.

Yuk.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,127
    isam said:

isam said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

He should have resigned just for being
    investigated according to Sir Keir, who didn’t resign when he was investigated
    Stop trying to make fetch happen, it isn't going to happen
    I’ll do as I please, but what is fetch?
    In the 2004 film "Mean Girls" one character scolds her friend for using the term "fetch" as a synonym for "cool."
    • Gretchen: "That is so fetch!"
    • Regina: "Gretchen, stop trying to make fetch happen! It's not going to happen!"
    It is used as a shorthand to berate somebody pushing a point beyond plausibility.

The clip is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pubd-spHN-0
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,373

isam said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Hit tip to the "fetch" reference
    I'm not the only one who doesn't understand the reference!
    Although appropriate to the ghost debate I assume it is not this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhYofF6GJWc
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,675
    edited December 2023
    isam said:

isam said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

My take is that Johnson genuinely believed that they had tried to comply with the regulations. The events that we have seen photos off suggest that this is broadly true. He was not at the riotous parties (if indeed they happened as depicted in the recent TV drama).

Most people think that Johnson did not in fact adhere to the guidelines, but I can believe that he thought he had.
    He, or someone close to him, had the official photographer cover the ‘ambushed with a cake’ party - so I can’t believe he thought it was against the rules
    ...that applied to him.
    Yes. I don’t really care about the PB consensus, I think the rules should have been different for those working at No10 than they were for us, who in the main were working from home or sitting around taking furlough money. They were in the office with people every day, trying to deal with the pandemic
    But when doctors and nurses working on the front line in hospitals asked if they could have staff Christmas parties in 2020 they were told no by the government.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

...that applied to him.
    It's a view with integrity at least. Johnson should have made it clear when setting the rules that they didn't apply to No 10 though. (Which would have been terribly damaging of course.)
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,057

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Any case (Leon) do you think it helps the (in your mind's eye) good and noble fight against the likes of Critical Race Theory to have the word Woke stripped of all meaning other than 'things about the modern world that irritate the Spectator and the Daily Mail'? I'd have thought the opposite myself.

No, because the word Fascist - despite being misused and overused 8 trillion times a day - has not lost all meaning, not at all, see @david_herdson's eloquent appraisal of Trump below

Ditto Woke

Trump reminds us there are clever fascists (Hilter obvs, Stalin) and stupid fascists (e.g. Mussolini).

The latter are very nasty and pose a threat but the former a catastrophically dangerous.

Fortunately Trump is stupendously stupid. Still much better he ends up in clink than in the White House again though.
    Mussolini was not stupid, he was bright and charismatic, and inspired adoration in his early followers

I'm not sure Trump is stupid, either. He's fecking weird and creepy, but stupid? Hmmm. Dunno

Clever, stupid, inept, adept, bright, dim, etc. are very ill-defined terms - Hitler was clever in many ways but made some pretty dumb decisions, after all.

Hitler was able to assimilate a lot of information, for instance technical specs on weapons etc. He lacked a broader analysis - he tended to be very focussed on certain things. He did not travel much outside Germany (save his Paris visit in 1940) and has no conception of the strength of the British Navy and latterly Air Force in 1940. He was a reckless gambler that won a few big wins early in his career and became deluded as to the reasons for success.

He was a brilliant orator, and reportedly a very good mimic. He could be good company, and there is no doubt that many of his inner circle idolised him.

Mussolini was trapped in a poor nation trying to play at the high stakes table. By siding with the Nazis he doomed his country and regime. If he had stayed neutral, or even joined the allies he could have ruled far longer, but the lure of a new Roman empire was too strong.

Hitler, Churchill, FDR, JFK, Lloyd George by all accounts, who can compare today?

Even Thatcher, Reagan, Blair and Obama leave today's politicians sounding like hesitant kids on their first day at top school.

Mick Lynch?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,229

Yuk.

Ironically the SNP might never get 45% again.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,188

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Ditto Woke

Ed Davey?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

isam said:

isam said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

In the 2004 film "Mean Girls" one character scolds her friend for using the term "fetch" as a synonym for "cool."
    • Regina: "Gretchen, stop trying to make fetch happen! It's not going to happen!"
    It is used as a shorthand to berate somebody pushing a point beyond plausibility.

Oh I see. 19 years ago. I am more behind the times than I thought! Or it didn’t really catch on
  • Options

Yuk.

Marginal tax rate in Scotland of 67% from £100k to £125k?

45% IT plus effective 20% more due to withdrawal of personal allowance + 2% NI??

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,229

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Ditto Woke

Vivek Ramaswamy? ;)
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Ditto Woke

Mick Lynch?
    Er... no. Good in an interview but not really a top class orator.

How much is down to speech writers? (I suspect the 'greats' wrote their own.)

One of the greatest ever orations must be Mark Antony's, written by his hack speechwriter Shakespeare.
  • Options

Yuk.

45% IT plus effective 20% more due to withdrawal of personal allowance + 2% NI??

Sounds it. That’s a triple whammy if I ever saw one.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Ditto Woke

Ed Davey?
    I suspect if there are any world class orators in politics today we haven't yet heard of them.

But we will, we will.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,896
    viewcode said:

isam said:

isam said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

These days as I've learned from my 10 year old daughter, "slay" is the word. So slay (as an adjective) has actually happened and presumably someone somewhere online first coined the term.
  • Options

isam said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Hit tip to the "fetch" reference
    I'm not the only one who doesn't understand the reference!
    Nobody tell them please.

You go Glen Coco
    Not telling them is soooo fetch

Sympathies to all those hard working people in Scotland including @DavidL who will be hammered by SNP's lunatic 45% tax rate from £75,000pa! 😡😡😡

That sounds like a marvellous campaign issue...
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,896
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Ditto Woke

Ed Davey?
    Suella Braverman was, ahem, quite effective in her Tory conference speech.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

...that applied to him.
    But when doctors and nurses working on the front line in hospitals asked if they could have staff Christmas parties in 2020 they were told no by the government.
    They were asking for parties? Was no one taking this virus seriously???
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,687
    Oysters! SHEEKEYS!!
  • Options

Yuk.

Never been a better time to be a consultant...
  • Options
    TimS said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

isam said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

These days as I've learned from my 10 year old daughter, "slay" is the word. So slay (as an adjective) has actually happened and presumably someone somewhere online first coined the term.
    Thanks for the tip-off about the Morrisons 2010 English sparkler btw. Bottles still avail at my nearest store.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,813

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Ditto Woke

That new Argentinian president seems to be pretty animated. Does that count?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,070
    edited December 2023

Yuk.

Shame IR35 means most of them are now inside so will be subject to this increase.

Got to say I really don’t think it’s going to raise the figures the Scottish Government hopes it does - I suspect it’s going to raise £90m max while really annoying the people impacted
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Can you imagine, if you could get Shakespeare to write your political speeches today.

It's not the deliver so much as the content that makes a great speech. Within reason?

As Will is not available, Starmer should maybe ask Richard Curtis or Ben Elton to write his speeches.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

...that applied to him.
    It's a view with integrity at least. Johnson should have made it clear when setting the rules that they didn't apply to No 10 though. (Which would have been terribly damaging of course.)
    He could have made it optional for anyone who was having to work in a confined environment.

The guys working on the rigs had to do their 13 hour shifts, eat in a mess together and then spend the other 11 hours alone in their rooms as all communal areas apart from the mess - TV rooms, cinemas, smokos and gym - were shut off for almost a year. 3 weeks on a rig under those circumstances and I am surprised there weren't jumpers. It makes Johnson's claims about stressful working environments sound very hollow.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,822
    Leon said:

Oysters! SHEEKEYS!!

Not so great these days.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,354
    eek said:

Yuk.

Shame IR35 means most of them are now inside so will be subject to this increase.

Got to say I really don’t think it’s going to raise the figures the Scottish Government hopes it does - I suspect it’s going to raise £90m max while really annoying the people impacted
    They should ask Jon Rahm for some money, he likes playing golf in Scotland and can definitely afford £90 million
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,437
    edited December 2023
    eek said:

Yuk.

Happily my industry and the nature of the services I provide with clients means that I am outside IR35 (with the paperwork to prove it). Not that I have an actual contract with the current main client...
  • Options
    eek said:

Yuk.

snip

And having to pay the employer's portion as wll.
  • Options

eek said:

Yuk.

Happily my industry and the nature of the services I provide with clients means that I am outside IR35 (with the paperwork to prove it).
    I was the same for a decade. I even had 2 HMRC inspections during that time.

Then they made the end user responsible for deciding who was inside and outside and all the clients looked at the possible liabilities and just put everyone inside under blanket decisions.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,926

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Ditto Woke

Dan Hannan gives a very good speech, although I disagree with him on almost everything. William Hague very good too, although I suppose he in the past now.

Most need time to practice though. I think Angela Rayner could turn into a top political orator over time.
  • Options
    There appear to be SIX income tax rates in Scotland now?

19% 20% 21% 42% 45% and 48%??
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Ditto Woke

Why? Because speeches is not how politics is done now. It's not how opinion is moved, either with the public or among colleagues, and both have the chance now to respond.while a speech is still ongoing.

Relatedly, it's also because people's attention span has shortened drastically in the electronic age. Chances are that many of those great speeches of the past, were they made now, even in the same circumstances (to the extent that's possible), wouldn't go down half as well because they'd be far too long and people would drift off before the crucial moments.

One exception to that would be the Gettysburg address - which ironically was panned at the time for being insultingly *short* (the main speaker at the event went on for about an hour; no-one remembers his speech now).
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,723

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Ditto Woke

Why? Because speeches is not how politics is done now. It's not how opinion is moved, either with the public or among colleagues, and both have the chance now to respond.while a speech is still ongoing.

Relatedly, it's also because people's attention span has shortened drastically in the electronic age. Chances are that many of those great speeches of the past, were they made now, even in the same circumstances (to the extent that's possible), wouldn't go down half as well because they'd be far too long and people would drift off before the crucial moments.

One exception to that would be the Gettysburg address - which ironically was panned at the time for being insultingly *short* (the main speaker at the event went on for about an hour; no-one remembers his speech now).
    Think the other speech was nearer 2 hours…
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,070

eek said:

Yuk.

snip

Technically that’s more to do with the agency advertising the wrong rate but getting them to fix it would be impossible. Heck explaining to an agency that you should include pension deductions when writing key information documents is beyond their ability to understand
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,254

Ironically the defining moment of May's premiership was a speech. Sadly.
  • Options

Nasa beams cat video from deep space with laser
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67721671

While we are discussing our feline friends.

IIRC, one of our most celebrated and publicized alien visitors/invaders, namely Alf, was a renowned cat lover.

Fried, boiled, grilled, roasted, stewed, sliced, diced AND raw - with or without fur.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,920

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Ditto Woke

Rishi Sunak!

Ater five days in Athens I came to the same conclusion most Athenian cartoonists have come to. Sunak is a philistine. A single afternoon here would have told him how intrinsic the marbles are to the Parthenon and Greek heritage.

The Acropolis dominates the skyline like no other monument I can think of. It's not like Stonehenge which is seen by the odd sheep. It's seen by 3.5 million Athenians daily

They've already given us something in return us in return? They use our language almost as much as their own
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,666
    Rishi doing well in the committee of committees committee meeting. Particularly strong on Rwanda today.

Q: There is no evidence [Rwanda] works.

Sunak says there is evidence; the returns agreement with Albania has led to 5,000 people going back, and Albanian arrivals falling by 90%.

90% fall from these scehmes. Some strong stats there for Rishi to smack that question into touch.
  • Options
    TimS said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

isam said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Can you provide an example from your darling daughter's lexicon?
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

Yuk.

snip

Technically that’s more to do with the agency advertising the wrong rate but getting them to fix it would be impossible. Heck explaining to an agency that you should include pension deductions when writing key information documents is beyond their ability to understand
    IR35 is horrible for some industries and less horrible for others. Happily I sent my own hours, and place of work, and project lists, and cover not only all my own costs but some of theirs up front, and substitute in an alternative set of hands to do some tasks who my company then pays for their labour...
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Ditto Woke

Mussolini only joined Hitler in 1940, after Germany's victories in northern Europe. He was backing what appeared to be the only game in town at the time - and in the short term, benefitted considerably from it, as Germany bailed his regime out in Greece (and prevented it getting into a probably even worse mess in Yugoslavia). And going by the state of the war at the time - with US and Soviet neutrality - you'd have to say that was the percentage option.
  • Options

Rishi doing well in the committee of committees committee meeting. Particularly strong on Rwanda today.

Sunak says there is evidence; the returns agreement with Albania has led to 5,000 people going back, and Albanian arrivals falling by 90%.

90% fall from these scehmes. Some strong stats there for Rishi to smack that question into touch.

Yes, sending people directly back to Albania is proof that a scheme to send people to Rwanda will work. Its the exact same thing.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Ditto Woke

NOBODY remembers Edward Everett's immortal TWO-hour oration? Fake news!

https://voicesofdemocracy.umd.edu/everett-gettysburg-address-speech-text/#:~:text=Sure I am, that, with,there beat in every loyal
  • Options

Surely that is evidence that Albania works, not that Rwanda works.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162

Eabhal said:

Looks like the police have been shamed into doing something about the roly poly driver

https://twitter.com/adamtranter/status/1737088527945421089?t=c1Q8E2jJ4fKV3IiCegM3dg&s=19

It would be nice to see how the car came to be on the wrong side of the road in the first place absent some form of seizure.

But on following your link I noticed Lord Bethell is trending. People are wondering exactly how a man who lost all his Whatsapps for Covid mysteriously recovered one about La Mone. Oops.

Someone else said that it was a Messenger post not a WhatsApp post
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,539
    edited December 2023
    Off topic: Which Haley said this about migrants?
    '“They’re like savages as well.” Haley added that migrants “don’t speak the language, and they look at Black people like we’re crazy.” In an attempt to excuse her rant, the NAACP leader said, “I’m trying not to be a n—-.'

This Haley: NAACP Illinois State Conference President Teresa Haley
    source: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/naacp-leader-slammed-for-racial-slurs-in-leaked-video/ar-AA1lJsXk?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=9a5fe1ebbfb645b0b884a69308c31599&ei=59

She has drawn some criticism for those remarks.

(Reminder: IMHO, it is a serious mistake to lump all immigrants, even all illegal immigrants, together, since the pluses and minuses they give our nations are so varied.)
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Perhaps. But not because of what she said.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,115

Apples and oranges applies, no?

Isn’t the present Dr Who a refugee from Rwanda? Or at least his parents were?
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,666

Yes, sending people directly back to Albania is proof that a scheme to send people to Rwanda will work. Its the exact same thing.
    You saying it’s not similar?

He also said they have a back up plan of other countries, not putting all their eggs in Rwanda.

Sensible to have back up plans, and not plough on with a difficult option too long ending up wasting money, you agree.

It’s also a waste of time for parliament to ask for full Rwanda costs, as Sunak explains when dealing with other countries, it’s too sensitive information to divulge.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,936

Apples and oranges applies, no?

Isn’t the present Dr Who a refugee from Rwanda? Or at least his parents were?
    Refugee from Gallifrey I believe, but travels without documents and notorious people smuggler of his "companions" with repeated illegal entry to the UK.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,254

Scott_xP said:

Perhaps. But not because of what she said.
    Explicitly because of what she said.

Unfairly she didn't write it.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,568
    Leon said:

Leon said:

You remind me of him
    To even get on the first step, you’d need way more self awareness and an understanding of how the world really works. A lifetime spent making stuff up for the frivolous entertainment of others has equipped you with neither.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,568

Can you imagine, if you could get Shakespeare to write your political speeches today.

It's not the deliver so much as the content that makes a great speech. Within reason?

As Will is not available, Starmer should maybe ask Richard Curtis or Ben Elton to write his speeches.

Ladies and gentlemen, noble citizens of this fair kingdom, lend me your attentive ears! As we traverse the corridors of power in this hallowed land, let us ponder upon the tumultuous tides that beset our nation. Verily, in this epoch of change, where the sun doth set and rise on our isle, we find ourselves at the crossroads of destiny.

Behold, the realm stands at the precipice, caught in the throes of political tempests that doth shake the very foundations of our governance. The stage upon which our leaders tread is fraught with the intrigues of courtly maneuverings and the discordant melodies of partisan strife. Yet, we, the denizens of this green and pleasant land, are not but passive players in this grand narrative.

To vote, or not to vote, that is the question! Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous policies, or to take arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing, end them? Nay, let us seize the ballot with vigor, for in our collective voices lies the power to shape the fate of our polity.

As we confront the challenges of our time, let unity be our guiding star. Forsooth, let not division be the legacy we bequeath unto generations yet unborn. The issues that assail us are as the Gordian knots of yore, demanding not only the keenest minds but also the valiant hearts that beat within each citizen.

In the tapestry of governance, let justice be the warp and compassion the weft, weaving a fabric that enshrouds our society in the mantle of equity. Let us not forget the call of duty, the clarion trumpets of responsibility that summon us to tend to the welfare of the many, not the few.

So, my fellow countrymen, let us embark upon this noble quest, not as disparate factions, but as one cohesive whole. For in unity, we find strength, and in strength, we shall overcome the vicissitudes that assail us. As the pages of history turn, let it be recorded that in this era, we, united and resolute, did carve a path to a brighter dawn for this sceptered isle.

Thus, with hearts enkindled and purpose unwavering, let us script a new act in the drama of our governance. Forsooth, the play is ours to write, and in the annals of time, may it be said that we were the architects of our own destiny!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,018
    edited December 2023

Off topic: Which Haley said this about migrants?
    '“They’re like savages as well.” Haley added that migrants “don’t speak the language, and they look at Black people like we’re crazy.” In an attempt to excuse her rant, the NAACP leader said, “I’m trying not to be a n—-.'

This Haley: NAACP Illinois State Conference President Teresa Haley
    source: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/naacp-leader-slammed-for-racial-slurs-in-leaked-video/ar-AA1lJsXk?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=9a5fe1ebbfb645b0b884a69308c31599&ei=59

She has drawn some criticism for those remarks.

(Reminder: IMHO, it is a serious mistake to lump all immigrants, even all illegal immigrants, together, since the pluses and minuses they give our nations are so varied.)

Pretty disgusting from her.
  • Options

You haven't experienced PB until you have read it in the original Klingon!
This discussion has been closed.