Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Replacing the irreplaceable – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,019
    A
    Selebian said:

Phil said:

Builders are woke now apparently:

“Woke” has become completely meaningless now. Just a vague all encompassing term for “things the right doesn’t like”, including (apparently) talking to your colleagues about feelings.

(This particular headline is deranged, in case it wasn’t already obvious.)

Builder who did our extension is something of an opera buff and and an avid Radio 4 listener. Mind you, he also lives down our street, so very much #oneofus

I had to pretend to be more cultured than I am when talking to him!
    A friend from school works on the rigs and keeps an extraordinarily detailed log of all the migrating birds that use them as a rest spot. Lots of goldcrests.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,418
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Anti-wokeism is decomposing into a kind of right-wing Corbynism.

Walk to work? WOKE
    Eat cereal for breakfast? WOKE
    Interested in military history? WOKE
    Steel toe caps? WOKE

Beware 5 syllable Tories: "Oh, Oliver Dowden..."

Control borders? FASCIST
    Leave the EU? FASCIST
    Reduce benefits for three kids? FASCIST
    Vote Tory? FASCIST
    Be male, white and over 40? FASCIST

etc
    So come the day of your anti-woke revolution I don't get carted off to to the football stadium on the back of a HiLux truck because I am "male, white and over 40". Gratifying to learn!
  • Options
    Perhaps like most people, there are different kinds of builders because there are different kinds of people
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,429
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Phil said:

“Woke” has become completely meaningless now. Just a vague all encompassing term for “things the right doesn’t like”, including (apparently) talking to your colleagues about feelings.

Woke never meant anything.

We need to find a new phrase for what most people are, let's say "not twats"
    It is noticeable that the people most wound up about the word "Woke" are, for the want of a better word, the Woke
    Do you think that discussing your feelings or liking history is woke?

You're woke, congratulations.
    No, it's ridiculous

But it's ridiculous in the same way any attempt to deport foreign criminals is labelled as "Fascist", or any Tory policy about, say, anything, is also called "Fascist"

Fascist is a painfully overused word, laughably so at times (as is the use of "Woke" here); but does Fascism exist? Absolutely, and it needs to be labelled as such, so we can perceive the danger

Same goes for "Wokeness". Label it, crush it
    There's a ghost of a point there but the indiscriminate use of 'Woke' is orders of magnitude greater than 'Fascist'.
    Also nonsense. Wanky students have been shouting FASCIST at anything they don't like for decades. Remember Rik Mayall's character in The Young Ones

That tendency has only grown over time, not diminished. The only difference is that the right now has a boo-word of its own, absurd on the periphery, but very serious when well-aimed: Woke
    Rather proves my point. That was done for laughs to send up a niche habit, which it still is. By contrast the misuse of Woke is all over the place, inc the mainstream right-wing press (source of our current example).
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

How on earth does this bit of driving result in 'no arrests'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12880327/moment-car-crashes-mother-daughter-pushchair.html#comments

The car has hit the pole on the other side of the road.

Stop being so WOKE.

Why weren't the mother and baby wearing high-vis, or at least a helmet? Drivers should have the freedom to drive on the pavement without pedestrians and Belisha Beacons getting in the way.

Next you'll be suggesting 20mph limits like Mark effing Drakeford.
    It's crackers that the driver didn't even get 3 points for this. Perhaps a driving awareness course would be seen as too trivial a punishment for such an incident (Or a few points) so basically the driver gets away with it because of the sheer awfulness of their driving meaning an appropriate censure (Dangerous / careless driving) requires a higher bar than going 24 mph through a 20.
    A one year driving ban, with an extended re-test, at the very least. Didn't brake at all.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12880327/moment-car-crashes-mother-daughter-pushchair.html#comments

Stop being so WOKE.

Why weren't the mother and baby wearing high-vis, or at least a helmet? Drivers should have the freedom to drive on the pavement without pedestrians and Belisha Beacons getting in the way.

It's crackers that the driver didn't even get 3 points for this. Perhaps a driving awareness course would be seen as too trivial a punishment for such an incident (Or a few points) so basically the driver gets away with it because of the sheer awfulness of their driving meaning an appropriate censure (Dangerous / careless driving) requires a higher bar than going 24 mph through a 20.
    A one year driving ban, with an extended re-test, at the very least. Didn't brake at all.
    WOKE
  • Options
    LOL. A Jewish friend ordered his Christmas turkey but got a substitution – of a butter-basted turkey (mixing milk and meat is not kosher) with pork stuffing, wrapped in bacon.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The interesting (and regrettable) thing is the way that so many British people have allowed themselves to be infected by an American phenomenon like Woke vs anti-Woke.

To a large extent the "Woke v anti-Woke" is a confection created by illustrious right-wing-beacon journalists like our very own Leon.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,652

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Phil said:

It is noticeable that the people most wound up about the word "Woke" are, for the want of a better word, the Woke

No, it's ridiculous

But it's ridiculous in the same way any attempt to deport foreign criminals is labelled as "Fascist", or any Tory policy about, say, anything, is also called "Fascist"

Fascist is a painfully overused word, laughably so at times (as is the use of "Woke" here); but does Fascism exist? Absolutely, and it needs to be labelled as such, so we can perceive the danger

Once, like dentists once did, you drill down, opinions are individual and nuanced and don't come in packages, and are subject to endless alteration and drift.

It isn't really possible, except with very dim people, to know what it means to describe them with words like woke, reactionary, traditionalist, right, left, centre and so on. Like others I use them, but they rarely help a lot except in a very precise context.

Lots of huffing and puffing about the Daily Mail etc describing everything as woke. The DM does not exist to extend, advance and nuance debate. It exists to sell papers and a website to sell readers to advertisers. Like so many others. This relies on easy lies and generalisations.
    I am huffing and puffing because their headline shuns the idea of men opening up about their feelings which we know is one of the biggest preventers of male suicide. So yes I will stick by what I said thank you.

I would hope you would also support men opening up, as I am sure you too care about suicide rates in men and how appalling it is.
    Of course. I agree 100% with you both in idea and practice. I hope you agree with me too.
  • Options

Mr. Phil, it's weirder than that.

Since when was being into history a left wing thing, or contrary to being on the right?

Since the right became consumed with idiocy, c 2016.
  • Options
    Phil said:

Also a useful reminder that the Daily Mail hates and despises the working class.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Pulpstar said:

Eabhal said:

Pulpstar said:

Stop being so WOKE.

Rishi is the driver's friend. It's a free country, if we want to do this we jolly well should be able to do this. No speed limits, no stop signs on Rishi's Highway to Hell.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Phil said:

No, it's ridiculous

Once, like dentists once did, you drill down, opinions are individual and nuanced and don't come in packages, and are subject to endless alteration and drift.

It isn't really possible, except with very dim people, to know what it means to describe them with words like woke, reactionary, traditionalist, right, left, centre and so on. Like others I use them, but they rarely help a lot except in a very precise context.

Lots of huffing and puffing about the Daily Mail etc describing everything as woke. The DM does not exist to extend, advance and nuance debate. It exists to sell papers and a website to sell readers to advertisers. Like so many others. This relies on easy lies and generalisations.
    I am huffing and puffing because their headline shuns the idea of men opening up about their feelings which we know is one of the biggest preventers of male suicide. So yes I will stick by what I said thank you.

I would hope you would also support men opening up, as I am sure you too care about suicide rates in men and how appalling it is.
    Of course. I agree 100% with you both in idea and practice. I hope you agree with me too.
    I do :)
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Phil said:

Mr. Phil, it's weirder than that.

Since when was being into history a left wing thing, or contrary to being on the right?

Indeed!

I do wonder if this is a result of some kind of metric driven headline writing. The DM knows that “woke” headlines drive website hits, so now everything is woke.
    It's almost certainly GPT4 writing these headlines.
    Whoever writes the Mail headlines, it supports my thesis that online headlines are now getting much longer, leaving behind the constraints of physical newspapers.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,713
    Leon said:

Phil said:

Oh the irony and complete lack of self awareness.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

Anti-wokeism is decomposing into a kind of right-wing Corbynism.

Walk to work? WOKE
    Eat cereal for breakfast? WOKE
    Interested in military history? WOKE
    Steel toe caps? WOKE

Beware 5 syllable Tories: "Oh, Oliver Dowden..."

Control borders? FASCIST
    Leave the EU? FASCIST
    Reduce benefits for three kids? FASCIST
    Vote Tory? FASCIST
    Be male, white and over 40? FASCIST

etc
    Quite. Anti-wokeism is at that level.
    When "Woke" is used as the Mail is using it in that absurd headline: Yes, I agree

But anti-Wokeism is very important and very necesary when aimed at the evils of true Wokeness, like American Uni presidents unable to condemn "calls for the genocide of Jews" - an outrage which springs directly from their Woke ideologies of intersectionality, oppression, and anti-colonialism
    Be fair. They said they would be able to condemn it depending on context.

Unfortunately, the representative questioning was a complete imbecile more intent on grandstanding and shouting out the answers rather than providing the opportunities for the uni presidents to condemn themselves further. The obvious follow-up was to ask for examples of when it would be appropriate, after supplying the first two, of drama and education (both of which, crucially, put the calls into the mouths of others - though even that needs caution in how it's done).
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Phil said:

That is basically Leon to a, erh, T
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,735
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Immigration is killing Biden

US inflation falling like a stone doesn't seem to have helped him - so it probably won't here. The "cost of living crisis" as a phrase will outlive inflation.

(Theory: the public understand that falling inflation doesn't mean prices are falling well enough - middle class condescension notwithstanding.)
    Images like this will destroy Biden’s campaign

“BREAKING: Video from a contact on the ground in Eagle Pass, TX right now shows a mass of thousands of migrants waiting to be processed by Border Patrol after they crossed illegally today. I’ve spent hundreds of days there over the last 2+ years and I’ve never seen it like this.”

https://x.com/billmelugin_/status/1736928008433537100?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
    To too many Dems that's seen as a good thing.

They would rather Trump wins than have any form of border control.
    Immigration is possibly going to be THE issue across the west for the next few years
    It certainly will if you have anything to do with it.
    Yes, I’m personally driving UK net migration to 1.3m every two years, that’s when I’m not burning down asylum centres in Ireland, bulldozing ethnic ghettoes in Denmark, getting the far right elected in Sweden and forcing 10,000 people to try and break into America every day. I call it multitasking
    Who said progressives don’t like productivity?
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,975

LOL. A Jewish friend ordered his Christmas turkey but got a substitution – of a butter-basted turkey (mixing milk and meat is not kosher) with pork stuffing, wrapped in bacon.

A friend makes porridge with oat milk and had raised the question of whether this is kosher. Thou shalt not boil a (goat) kid in its mother’s milk.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,040
    Despite being uncomfortable with the Mein Kampf rhetoric, most of them will still endorse him.

Senate Republicans recoil at Trump ‘poisoning the blood of our country’ remarks
    https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4366896-senate-republicans-recoil-at-trump-poisoning-the-blood-of-our-country-remarks/

"I think it’s unhelpful rhetoric" is about as far as they will go in 'recoiling'.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,629
    This country is going to the dogs.
    Like most of us, I yearn for the days when builders talked about nothing but tits and football.
    I blame the Woke, infesting decent hard-working builders' minds.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,386
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Phil said:

No, it's ridiculous

There's a ghost of a point there but the indiscriminate use of 'Woke' is orders of magnitude greater than 'Fascist'.
    Also nonsense. Wanky students have been shouting FASCIST at anything they don't like for decades. Remember Rik Mayall's character in The Young Ones

That tendency has only grown over time, not diminished. The only difference is that the right now has a boo-word of its own, absurd on the periphery, but very serious when well-aimed: Woke
    Rick:
    Neil, are these lentils South African?!

Neil:
    well... ummm

Rick:
    You Bastard! You complete and utter bastard! why dont you just go out and become a Policeman? Become a Pig? there's no difference you know?! I suppose you hate gay people too! Hippie!
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,386
    Selebian said:

Phil said:

Builder who did our extension is something of an opera buff and and an avid Radio 4 listener. Mind you, he also lives down our street, so very much #oneofus

I had to pretend to be more cultured than I am when talking to him!
    The intellectual Scaffolders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJa7VzfWJQg
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Despite being uncomfortable with the Mein Kampf rhetoric, most of them will still endorse him.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4366896-senate-republicans-recoil-at-trump-poisoning-the-blood-of-our-country-remarks/

"I think it’s unhelpful rhetoric" is about as far as they will go in 'recoiling'.

At risk of me being called WOKE, is this perhaps a bit FASCIST?
  • Options

A friend makes porridge with oat milk and had raised the question of whether this is kosher. Thou shalt not boil a (goat) kid in its mother’s milk.
    I used to have a discussion with a friend about whether bacon flavour crisps are kosher, given that they are 100% chemical, or vegan, depending on your point of view.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

The trusty old "not words I myself would have chosen but ..." formulation.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,675
    edited December 2023
    Average earnings by age and region
    https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/cbp-8456/

A new report from those nice people at the Commons Library.
  • Options
    Any case (Leon) do you think it helps the (in your mind's eye) good and noble fight against the likes of Critical Race Theory to have the word Woke stripped of all meaning other than 'things about the modern world that irritate the Spectator and the Daily Mail'? I'd have thought the opposite myself.
  • Options
    Looks like the police have been shamed into doing something about the roly poly driver

https://twitter.com/adamtranter/status/1737088527945421089?t=c1Q8E2jJ4fKV3IiCegM3dg&s=19
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 596
    Back on topic - The Welsh Labour Leadership rise is not a shoe-in for Vaughan Gething. He might be the heir apparent being pushed by UK Labour but he is not well liked (because he is arrogant and condescending - not because of his skin colour).
    His competition Jeremy Miles actually has far more backing from MSs (17 to 10?) and the party members - with Gething more reliant on MPs and Unions. I think Miles will win but it will be close.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,869
    edited December 2023

Eabhal said:

Nigelb said:

Been there. Did it seven years ago. Unfortunately, I think the article no longer is accessible? Anyway, it started like this -

Fascist. It’s a word that could have been designed to be spat out as an insult. The first syllable invites you to screw up your face and the second is little more than a glorified hiss. And a very good insult it is, one that’s easily thrown at anyone seeking to implement liberty-curtailing or discriminatory policies.

The problem is that’s it’s been so readily used as an insult for so long that it’s easy to miss the real thing when it rears its ugly head. And in America, it has reared its ugly head. Donald Trump won his election with a platform and behaviour that was essentially classically fascist.

Some will of course bridle at this. It’s one thing to laugh at him; it’s another make such a comment in earnest. After all, if we’re serious in that analysis, what does that sat about the electorate that picked him? Were they taken in? Did they not notice? Or did the dark side of the Land of the Free reassert itself in a spiritual echo of the Jim Crow laws, McCarthyism and the genocide of the Native Americans?

But facts are facts. Among the key aspects of fascism are a leadership cult; an intolerance of liberalism, legal process and democracy; the myth of the nation’s special destiny, that destiny being under threat and the leader as saviour; the identification of enemy groups, within and without, as hostile to the concept of the nation, and the demonization of those groups; an intolerance of the traditional elite and a courting of the working and lower-middle classes in opposition to them, emphasising the victim status of the ordinary man and woman and encouraging their anger; and a tolerance for and at times advocacy of the legitimacy of violence to solve problems.

Trump’s language and statements during the presidential campaign ticks pretty much every box. What marked him out as distinct from other presidential candidates past and present was his lack of restraint and his apparent lack of concern for the potential consequences of statements which were at best pandering to bigotry and at worst dog-whistles to violence.
    That's a shame. When I'm offline, at least until a recent clean up, PB reverted for me to being a cached copy of a 2017 Alastair Meeks article, Predicting Politics Better, which was published when I first got my phone.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Looks like the police have been shamed into doing something about the roly poly driver

https://twitter.com/adamtranter/status/1737088527945421089?t=c1Q8E2jJ4fKV3IiCegM3dg&s=19

It would be nice to see how the car came to be on the wrong side of the road in the first place absent some form of seizure.

But on following your link I noticed Lord Bethell is trending. People are wondering exactly how a man who lost all his Whatsapps for Covid mysteriously recovered one about La Mone. Oops.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,058
    Eabhal said:

Roly poly as in rollover, or roly poly as in non-slim bystander who comes along to help stop traffic?
  • Options

Perhaps like most people, there are different kinds of builders because there are different kinds of people

Woke builders and real builders? Woke people and real people?

I've seen a fair number of opera loving wrong 'uns on Grand Designs. Grand Designs is woke builder central!
  • Options

Eabhal said:

It would be nice to see how the car came to be on the wrong side of the road in the first place absent some form of seizure.

But on following your link I noticed Lord Bethell is trending. People are wondering exactly how a man who lost all his Whatsapps for Covid mysteriously recovered one about La Mone. Oops.
    Yeah, how does that happen?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,231

Eabhal said:

Except the screenshot he posted isn't of a WhatsApp message but a standard text message taken from an iPhone.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Except the screenshot he posted isn't of a WhatsApp message but a standard text message taken from an iPhone.
    Take it up with TwiX. I'd never heard of Lord Bethell until a few minutes ago.
  • Options
    Science experiment:
    I can be sat in my office downstairs and hear a big thud above my head. With nobody other than the cats in the house. Wifey was in here with me earlier and we heard a big thud.
    She's just been upstairs and borrowed* our heaviest cat and thrown him to the floor where we are hearing the noise from. Downstairs in the office I hear nothing.

So, unexplained big bangs whilst the house is empty. Can't be produced by the cats even if they hurl themselves off a bed...
  • Options

Science experiment:
    I can be sat in my office downstairs and hear a big thud above my head. With nobody other than the cats in the house. Wifey was in here with me earlier and we heard a big thud.
    She's just been upstairs and borrowed* our heaviest cat and thrown him to the floor where we are hearing the noise from. Downstairs in the office I hear nothing.

So, unexplained big bangs whilst the house is empty. Can't be produced by the cats even if they hurl themselves off a bed...

Do not trust cats to play ball with your experiments. They can land heavily when they want to.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Interesting that they weren't deleted, er, I mean lost when he changed his phone.

Sunak, Johnson and Bethel, are the Rebekah Vardys of British politics.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Eabhal said:

Nigelb said:

Been there. Did it seven years ago. Unfortunately, I think the article no longer is accessible? Anyway, it started like this -

Fascist. It’s a word that could have been designed to be spat out as an insult. The first syllable invites you to screw up your face and the second is little more than a glorified hiss. And a very good insult it is, one that’s easily thrown at anyone seeking to implement liberty-curtailing or discriminatory policies.

The problem is that’s it’s been so readily used as an insult for so long that it’s easy to miss the real thing when it rears its ugly head. And in America, it has reared its ugly head. Donald Trump won his election with a platform and behaviour that was essentially classically fascist.

Some will of course bridle at this. It’s one thing to laugh at him; it’s another make such a comment in earnest. After all, if we’re serious in that analysis, what does that sat about the electorate that picked him? Were they taken in? Did they not notice? Or did the dark side of the Land of the Free reassert itself in a spiritual echo of the Jim Crow laws, McCarthyism and the genocide of the Native Americans?

But facts are facts. Among the key aspects of fascism are a leadership cult; an intolerance of liberalism, legal process and democracy; the myth of the nation’s special destiny, that destiny being under threat and the leader as saviour; the identification of enemy groups, within and without, as hostile to the concept of the nation, and the demonization of those groups; an intolerance of the traditional elite and a courting of the working and lower-middle classes in opposition to them, emphasising the victim status of the ordinary man and woman and encouraging their anger; and a tolerance for and at times advocacy of the legitimacy of violence to solve problems.

Trump’s language and statements during the presidential campaign ticks pretty much every box. What marked him out as distinct from other presidential candidates past and present was his lack of restraint and his apparent lack of concern for the potential consequences of statements which were at best pandering to bigotry and at worst dog-whistles to violence.
    What's different this time is that he's dropped the dog whistles, and is adopting openly nazi rhetoric.
    And is arguing for the overthrow of the rule of law.

Last time round it was just about possible to argue that this was hyperbolic rhetoric without real intent. Not so now.
    I do not see how anyone didn't believe this was where we would inevitably get to.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,488
    Well the jury took their time but I am sorry to report that the overcrowding situation in Scottish jails just got worse.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Interesting that they weren't deleted, er, I mean lost when he changed his phone.

Depending on how the phone was backed up it's definitely possible that the iMessage history would be restored on the new phone but not the WhatsApp messages.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,629
    DavidL said:

Well the jury took their time but I am sorry to report that the overcrowding situation in Scottish jails just got worse.

Sorry to hear that. What were you up for?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Nicola Sturgeon has been convicted already?
  • Options

DavidL said:

Perhaps her campervan could be redeployed as a prison cell to ease the overcrowding problem.
  • Options

Science experiment:

Probably caused by expansion of boards that are tight on each other and move suddenly when the pressure is too much. Or a poltergeist of course.
  • Options

DavidL said:

If only.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Depending on how the phone was backed up it's definitely possible that the iMessage history would be restored on the new phone but not the WhatsApp messages.
    Whenever I have changed my phone, the old phone when synchronised with the new phone transfers everything across including my WhatsApps. This is quite important to me as video I generate for work is transferred to others who need to see it via WhatsApp. I thus retain a record of transmission. I understand the transfer from Android to Apple and vice- versa may mot be quite so straightforward.

Anyway my post was a quip about the similarity between Vardy and our most senior law makers, rather than an earnest critique of your boys.

Still your technical defence was much appreciated.
  • Options

kjh said:

Leon said:

Phil said:

That is basically Leon to a, erh, T
    That sheep has been Sean, eh?
  • Options

DavidL said:

In the court of PB, guilty until proven innocent, unless the infinitely innocent is Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,695
    kinabalu said:

Any case (Leon) do you think it helps the (in your mind's eye) good and noble fight against the likes of Critical Race Theory to have the word Woke stripped of all meaning other than 'things about the modern world that irritate the Spectator and the Daily Mail'? I'd have thought the opposite myself.

No, because the word Fascist - despite being misused and overused 8 trillion times a day - has not lost all meaning, not at all, see @david_herdson's eloquent appraisal of Trump below

Ditto Woke

This isn't quantum robotics. Try and keep up
  • Options

Science experiment:

I love your ghost

Have you thought of writing to Danny Robins, the producer creator of "Uncanny" the podcast?

His holy grail is ongoing hauntings: he'd jump at your case
  • Options

Science experiment:

Can I just say that I was shockingly amused by the idea of your wife going upstairs, finding a sleepy cat and throwing it at the floor for an experiment. I have a very warped sense of humour I think.
  • Options

Science experiment:

Can I just say that I was shockingly amused by the idea of your wife going upstairs, finding a sleepy cat and throwing it at the floor for an experiment. I have a very warped sense of humour I think.
    I think too much about economics. I was wondering if it bounced.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Whenever I have changed my phone, the old phone when synchronised with the new phone transfers everything across including my WhatsApps. This is quite important to me as video I generate for work is transferred to others who need to see it via WhatsApp. I thus retain a record of transmission. I understand the transfer from Android to Apple and vice- versa may mot be quite so straightforward.

Anyway my post was a quip about the similarity between Vardy and our most senior law makers, rather than an earnest critique of your boys.

When you transfer directly from one iPhone to another it will copy everything, but if you haven't got the previous phone and are restoring from a backup it depends what is in the backup. Previously I don't think WhatsApp had an iCloud back-up feature so wouldn't have been included.

Of course it's entirely possible that he's lying about losing the phone, but it's not qute the smoking gun people are claiming.
  • Options

DavidL said:

In the court of PB, guilty until proven innocent, unless the infinitely innocent is Boris Johnson.
    Did anyone on here claim that Boris was innocent of anything? I don't recall it. Some may have challenged the seriousness of various events but I don't recall anyone suggesting he was innocent.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,037
    We’ve been having builders and tradesmen round for about two and a half years, and there’s not been one yet who’s anywhere near as woke as me
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Did anyone on here claim that Boris was innocent of anything? I don't recall it. Some may have challenged the seriousness of various events but I don't recall anyone suggesting he was innocent.
    He should have resigned just for being
    investigated according to Sir Keir, who didn’t resign when he was investigated
  • Options

Eabhal said:

When you transfer directly from one iPhone to another it will copy everything, but if you haven't got the previous phone and are restoring from a backup it depends what is in the backup. Previously I don't think WhatsApp had an iCloud back-up feature so wouldn't have been included.

Of course it's entirely possible that he's lying about losing the phone, but it's not qute the smoking gun people are claiming.
    Doesn't everyone sync from phone to phone assuming they have both phones? I am assuming Johnson had both in his possession because MI5, alarmed at his cavalier use of the number on phone 1, bought him another.

Bethel and Sunak may indeed have lost theirs on a ferry in the Channel.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,438

Eabhal said:

Although the SNP seems to have similar challenges...
  • Options
    Nasa beams cat video from deep space with laser
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-67721671

While we are discussing our feline friends.
  • Options
    isam said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Stop trying to make fetch happen, it isn't going to happen
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

My take is that Johnson genuinely believed that they had tried to comply with the regulations. The events that we have seen photos off suggest that this is broadly true. He was not at the riotous parties (if indeed they happened as depicted in the recent TV drama).

Most people think that Johnson did not in fact adhere to the guidelines, but I can believe that he thought he had.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

By a strange coincidence the poster directly after you is a proponent of the "Boris was ambushed by cake" thesis.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Eabhal said:

If you haven’t backed up your what’s apps, I don’t
    think messages that haven’t been backed up transfer. It’s happened to me, I’ve lost loads of messages that way. If your phone stops working and you temporarily use another, when you revert to your old phone, the WhatsApp’s from the temporary one are missing

Doesn’t mean people can’t use it as an excuse
  • Options
    edited December 2023

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

My take is that Johnson genuinely believed that they had tried to comply with the regulations. The events that we have seen photos off suggest that this is broadly true. He was not at the riotous parties (if indeed they happened as depicted in the recent TV drama).

Most people think that Johnson did not in fact adhere to the guidelines, but I can believe that he thought he had.
    He, or someone close to him, had the official photographer cover the ‘ambushed with a cake’ party - so I can’t believe he thought it was against the rules
  • Options

isam said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I’ll do as I please, but what is fetch?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,888
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

No, because the word Fascist - despite being misused and overused 8 trillion times a day - has not lost all meaning, not at all, see @david_herdson's eloquent appraisal of Trump below

Ditto Woke

Trump reminds us there are clever fascists (Hilter obvs, Stalin) and stupid fascists (e.g. Mussolini).

The latter are very nasty and pose a threat but the former a catastrophically dangerous.

Fortunately Trump is stupendously stupid. Still much better he ends up in clink than in the White House again though.
  • Options
    Rishi is answering questions at the Liaison Committee
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxXBkS2YD2g
  • Options
    isam said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Fortunate really, and a misstep by Starmer, as Starmer was exonerated, unlike Johnson who was guilty as charged. Perhaps that is the moment Starmer should have called for Johnson's resignation.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Science experiment:

I think too much about economics. I was wondering if it bounced.
    Schrödinger's did.

And didn't.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Ditto Woke

Trump reminds us there are clever fascists (Hilter obvs, Stalin) and stupid fascists (e.g. Mussolini).

The latter are very nasty and pose a threat but the former a catastrophically dangerous.

Fortunately Trump is stupendously stupid. Still much better he ends up in clink than in the White House again though.
    Mussolini was not stupid, he was bright and charismatic, and inspired adoration in his early followers

I'm not sure Trump is stupid, either. He's fecking weird and creepy, but stupid? Hmmm. Dunno
  • Options
    isam said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

He, or someone close to him, had the official photographer cover the ‘ambushed with a cake’ party - so I can’t believe he thought it was against the rules
    ...that applied to him.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

It's like slang from England
  • Options
    isam said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Goodness me you're deluded my friend.
  • Options

Science experiment:

As a long time Fortean, and someone who is fascinated by anything like this I love to hear about your experiences. I have never experienced anything that would be described as paranormal. The closest I have come would be seeing a barn owl at night that my Austrian aunt perceived as the ghost of an elderly lady crossing the road and seeing an ABC in the field next to the house that turned out to be just another largish black cat. Perhaps the only genuine uncanny experience was an encounter with Pan whilst walking alone on Salisbury Plain. I was walking home from the old iron age fort (Yarnbury) by the A303 to Shrewton, when I was suddenly overcome by an intense feeling that I was not welcome. I have never had this sensation before or since and have lived in this part of the world all my life. I walked/ran as fast as I could and was not happy again until well inside the village. But that could all have been in my head.

As a long term skeptic I cannot believe that you have a ghost, but I also cannot easily explain your experiences.
  • Options
    What do we think PB: is Trump stupid?

I'm gonna say No. He's not an intellectual, he's not even particularly educated, but he strikes me as cunning and conniving, and clever in a businessman-doing-deals kinda way. He also has emotional intelligence, he knows how to work a crowd, or press emo buttons, or get people so mad they lose it in response to him. Unfortunately he uses it all for malign purposes
  • Options

isam said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Hit tip to the "fetch" reference
  • Options
    Leon said:

I'm gonna say No. He's not an intellectual, he's not even particularly educated, but he strikes me as cunning and conniving, and clever in a businessman-doing-deals kinda way. He also has emotional intelligence, he knows how to work a crowd, or press emo buttons, or get people so mad they lose it in response to him. Unfortunately he uses it all for malign purposes

You remind me of him
  • Options

Leon said:

You remind me of him
    Fuck off, I'm intellectual!
  • Options

isam said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I'm not the only one who doesn't understand the reference!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Ditto Woke

Mussolini was not stupid, he was bright and charismatic, and inspired adoration in his early followers

I'm not sure Trump is stupid, either. He's fecking weird and creepy, but stupid? Hmmm. Dunno
    Perhaps stupid is the wrong word. Inept maybe.

Clever, stupid, inept, adept, bright, dim, etc. are very ill-defined terms - Hitler was clever in many ways but made some pretty dumb decisions, after all.

It's all a lot more complex than my post suggested, I accept that.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

You remind me of him
    Fuck off, I'm intellectual!
    Perhaps you need to re-invent yourself then as this current iteration is an idiot.
  • Options
    AverageNinjaAverageNinja Posts: 1,169
    edited December 2023

isam said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Nobody tell them please.

You go Glen Coco
  • Options
    A
    Leon said:

A fairly trivial number of actions/non-actions and he would be looking at winning the election without the high concurrent possibility of jail.
  • Options

DavidL said:

We can just hope that Nicola Sturgeon and Michelle Mone (poster girl of the 2014 No campaign) end up one day sharing a cell.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Ditto Woke

Clever, stupid, inept, adept, bright, dim, etc. are very ill-defined terms - Hitler was clever in many ways but made some pretty dumb decisions, after all.

Trump has gone a long way simply and partly because people have underestimated him, all the way through

We would be foolish to do it again
  • Options

isam said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

https://youtu.be/jjt9Qx9MBPk?si=wnU8_AiaxG8ctFmW&t=22
  • Options

isam said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Nobody tell them please.

You go Glen Coco
    Not telling them is soooo fetch
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,542
    edited December 2023
    Possibly on topic: From "No Laughing Matter", this joke:

A Welshman is shipwrecked on a desert island. Nobody vists the island for many a long year, but at last a ship comes nearby and its crew are astonished to find two fine chapels built there. On landing they find the shipwrecked Welshman and, consumed with curiosity, asked why he built two chapels.

'Well, you see,' he explained, This is the one I go to, and that's the one I don't go to'. (pp. 34-35)

So, would a shipwrecked Drakeford build just one chapel he wouldn't go to, or two? How many chapels would the contenders for his position each build?
  • Options
    Leon said:

This has been recommended to me - I've not watched it yet tbh, but it's Trump's 'Art of the Deal' ghost writer Tony Schwartz on Trump, from 2016.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxF_CDDJ0YI

Also worth a read is Mary Trump's 'Too much and Never Enough'. What Trump has in spades is self-confidence/self-delusion - extreme chutzpah if you will.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Ditto Woke

Hitler was able to assimilate a lot of information, for instance technical specs on weapons etc. He lacked a broader analysis - he tended to be very focussed on certain things. He did not travel much outside Germany (save his Paris visit in 1940) and has no conception of the strength of the British Navy and latterly Air Force in 1940. He was a reckless gambler that won a few big wins early in his career and became deluded as to the reasons for success.

He was a brilliant orator, and reportedly a very good mimic. He could be good company, and there is no doubt that many of his inner circle idolised him.

Mussolini was trapped in a poor nation trying to play at the high stakes table. By siding with the Nazis he doomed his country and regime. If he had stayed neutral, or even joined the allies he could have ruled far longer, but the lure of a new Roman empire was too strong.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

isam said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Fortunate really, and a misstep by Starmer, as Starmer was exonerated, unlike Johnson who was guilty as charged. Perhaps that is the moment Starmer should have called for Johnson's resignation.
    He called for it many times, he isn’t stupid - he knew not facing Boris at the GE was key to him ever becoming PM

• Options
    edited December 2023

isam said:

isam said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

It's like slang from England
    How’s the mental health by the way?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Ditto Woke

Trump has gone a long way simply and partly because people have underestimated him, all the way through

We would be foolish to do it again
    Yeah although he achieved f*ck-all as POTUS last time beyond screwing with America's psyche somewhat.

He's an inadvertent agent of chaos so best avoided.
This discussion has been closed.