Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Too many tweets, Part I – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,492
    Nigelb said:

I agree with the thrust of this article.
    If Hungary were applying fur EU membership today, it would be firmly rejected.

The EU’s capitulation to the Hungarian PM’s blackmail is a grave mistake. He seeks to reshape the bloc in his image
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/dec/17/viktor-orban-hungary-eu-ukraine-vladimir-putin
    ...This sets a perilous precedent: extortionists always come back to demand more. What is the EU’s gameplan? Are leaders willing to hand out huge sums of money and send Orbán out of the room whenever a unanimous decision looms?

The fact that just hours after absenting himself from the negotiations on accession, Orbán used his veto anyway to block €50bn in funding for Ukraine shows the wiles he is capable of. The accession process for any new member state is long and complex, and requires unanimity every step of the way. EU leaders are shockingly naive if they believe they have secured lasting support in exchange for their money. Orbán is likely to repeat this tactic, again and again, as he leverages Ukraine to unblock more money for his regime...

..The timing of the EU’s concession to Orbán is particularly disastrous, coinciding with Hungary’s “sovereignty protection bill” – a shockingly oppressive piece of legislation threatening journalists and civil society organisations with jail if they participate in international funding programmes. Its sole aim is to suppress dissent, muzzle independent media and quash opposition parties. The commission’s decision practically rubber-stamps this law and fails to muster a grain of solidarity with remaining independent voices in Hungary.

Hungary is indeed going to be a running sore for the EU but much of the money they are extorting (let's not kid ourselves) is money that the EU should have paid but withheld because they were being naughty. The EU need to get tougher and use Article 7 to suspend the voting rights of Hungary. This might be easier given that Hungary can no longer assume that Poland will back them.

The EU will regret not having the capacity in the Treaties to expel a member who no longer meets the democratic requirements. Of course if they try to introduce that in the next Treaty Hungary will not agree.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,664

Are there any genuine circumstances in which I can wear a balaclava that won't make me look like a bank robber?

In the last few years I don't suppose you can safely wear one when visiting Balaclava.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kle4 said:

The homes/migrants one is just confusing given the full throated nimbyism strategy based around promising to stop more housing.

Yes, my initial reading was 'Labour will build new homes, but it won't help because they'll let in so many migrants'. To which I thought 'at least they're getting it half-right'. I've only just realised that wasn't the intended implication. Possibly because I don't recognise the person/ character SKS is being portrayed as. But I can't be the only one who doesn't.
    What is it based on? I sort of assumed it was some sort of meme but didn't really get it either.

The problem with these, in my view, isn't that they are negative as such. It's that they are a bit sh1t.
  • Options
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,035
    Cookie said:

kle4 said:

The homes/migrants one is just confusing given the full throated nimbyism strategy based around promising to stop more housing.

Yes, my initial reading was 'Labour will build new homes, but it won't help because they'll let in so many migrants'. To which I thought 'at least they're getting it half-right'. I've only just realised that wasn't the intended implication. Possibly because I don't recognise the person/ character SKS is being portrayed as. But I can't be the only one who doesn't.
    The meme uses two images of pop star Drake, from the video of his 2016 song 'Hotline Bling'. But memes are a bit like football chant melodies, I suspect a lot of people use them without realising their origin.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,217
    edited December 2023
    algarkirk said:
    Do these people really want Oxford and Cambridge super teams competing in the competition? I've always assumed it was done to give the others a chance.

Or do they want Oxford and Cambridge to enter just one college each?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,064
    algarkirk said:
    Prof Coffield does have a point. Durham and at least nominally some other universities also have a collegiate system so it's clearly unreasonable to let Oxbridge have multiple bites but not those. Something has to give.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,338

Cookie said:

kle4 said:

What is it based on? I sort of assumed it was some sort of meme but didn't really get it either.

The problem with these, in my view, isn't that they are negative as such. It's that they are a bit sh1t.
    At first glance I thought it meant:
    "Under the Conservatives Britain has built 100,000 new homes and let in 100,000 illegal immigrants" which made no sense. I suppose it's supposed to mean Starmer is against building new homes and in favour of letting in illegal immigrants.
    So there are 2 problems. First - the message is very unclear. Second - if people recognise that there aren't enough new homes being built and too many illegal immigrants arriving they are going to blame the government mainly.

At best the Conservative message seems to be "we are shit but Labour probably won't be better so don't give them a chance"
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,064
    tlg86 said:

algarkirk said:
    Do these people really want Oxford and Cambridge super teams competing in the competition? I've always assumed it was done to give the others a chance.

I suspect the issue is more the problem of getting the team selected in the first place. That is such a random and tricky process that it gives plenty of scope for the actual teams to fight it out. The current system gives Oxford a few dozen chances to get a winning team ...
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,750
    A

TimS said:

Foxy said:

The Tory party comms are just a sad reflection on where the party is after it was trashed by Boris Johnson and the congenital liars and wreckers of Vote Leave. The whole operation is like Downing Street the morning after a Lockdown party, piles of vomit in the corner, broken garden furniture and everyone looking worse for wear. They need a period in opposition to nurse their hangovers.

Thing is, in the days of Vote Leave and Vote Boris, the social media stuff worked. This time, it doesn't seem to be doing so. What's the difference? Off the top.of my head, I can think of three possibilities.

One is that the meme artists are less good. Another is that we, as an audience have grown wiser to this sort of thing. The third is that, apart from the remaining loyalists, we don't want to believe Conservative messaging, and approach anything any of them say with suspicion.

One of the problems Team Sunak has is that they are trapped in the public opinion equivalent of quicksand. The more noise they make, the more the "just make it stop" segment of the population will hate them.
    The dirty war on Social Media is going to be a feature of all elections from now on. Best done by willing and deniable fellow travellers.

I suspect the Russian Troll farms will be mobilised again, but not in favour of the Tories this time because of Ukraine. Neither will they like Labour. I anticipate that they will be briefed to go negative, or support the right and left wing fringes.
    "not in favour of the Tories this time"

What makes you think they were in favour of the Tories last time? A Corbyn government might have suited Russia quite well.

(Then again, I believe the Russian trolls are often more interested in spreading discord and argument over any specific agenda.)
    Breaking up the EU would have been Russia's priority last time. The less said about donations and getting sons of KGB men into the House of Lords, the better. Secondary to that, as you say, any discord is better than harmony.
    The Russians will struggle to know how best to influence the next election. There is no obvious pro-Kremlin party, unlike in the US or much of Europe. Something we can be proud and relieved about. I assume they will look to magnify Reform UK messaging as well as anything encouraging overall disillusionment.

Their best bet at the moment is probably stirring the pot on Israel & Gaza and encouraging those new Islamist parties.
    While that’s true, there is a potential problem for Russia, given their Moslem minority. I suspect they’ll they’ll troll in favour of the Right of the Conservatives and Reform.
    Kadyrov is a bigger power in Russia than before the war. Keeping him happy means keeping his people happy.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

algarkirk said:

Loads of unis could no doubt enter multiple teams with similar potential for success. It's always been weird and it's long past time that it changed.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,019

Sandpit said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

The Tory party comms are just a sad reflection on where the party is after it was trashed by Boris Johnson and the congenital liars and wreckers of Vote Leave. The whole operation is like Downing Street the morning after a Lockdown party, piles of vomit in the corner, broken garden furniture and everyone looking worse for wear. They need a period in opposition to nurse their hangovers.

Thing is, in the days of Vote Leave and Vote Boris, the social media stuff worked. This time, it doesn't seem to be doing so. What's the difference? Off the top.of my head, I can think of three possibilities.

One is that the meme artists are less good. Another is that we, as an audience have grown wiser to this sort of thing. The third is that, apart from the remaining loyalists, we don't want to believe Conservative messaging, and approach anything any of them say with suspicion.

One of the problems Team Sunak has is that they are trapped in the public opinion equivalent of quicksand. The more noise they make, the more the "just make it stop" segment of the population will hate them.
    The dirty war on Social Media is going to be a feature of all elections from now on. Best done by willing and deniable fellow travellers.

I suspect the Russian Troll farms will be mobilised again, but not in favour of the Tories this time because of Ukraine. Neither will they like Labour. I anticipate that they will be briefed to go negative, or support the right and left wing fringes.

What makes you think they were in favour of the Tories last time? A Corbyn government might have suited Russia quite well.

(Then again, I believe the Russian trolls are often more interested in spreading discord and argument over any specific agenda.)
    Breaking up the EU would have been Russia's priority last time. The less said about donations and getting sons of KGB men into the House of Lords, the better. Secondary to that, as you say, any discord is better than harmony.
    The Russians will struggle to know how best to influence the next election. There is no obvious pro-Kremlin party, unlike in the US or much of Europe. Something we can be proud and relieved about. I assume they will look to magnify Reform UK messaging as well as anything encouraging overall disillusionment.

Their best bet at the moment is probably stirring the pot on Israel & Gaza and encouraging those new Islamist parties.
    Their main aim is polarisation and discord, so they’ll be happily arguing the most extreme points of debate on almost any subject, trying to redefine language and the range of acceptable opinions.
    even with Russia's oil and gas sales, I can see them promoting extreme environmental groups because of the discord and disruption they cause. IMV Putin's a very short-term thinker.
    Yes, there’s almost certainly outside influence on the more disruptive environmental campaigns, and the more extreme Palestine supporters. On the other side, they’ll be arguing that Net Zero is unaffordable to average people, and pushing the extremes of the anti-immigration arguments.

Expect to see many of the more extreme Amercian tactics of negative compaigning cross the Pond next year, while the actual American election is going to be a total sh!t-show of misinformation.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,911
    Roger said:

FPT

Golly, Israel has fcuked up enough to turn PB pin-up chubby Ben Wallace against them.

Can we look forward to an about turn from the ever more versatile Sir Keir if only not to be seen appearing to the right of Rishi?
    Holds breath
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,217
    Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

algarkirk said:

I suspect the issue is more the problem of getting the team selected in the first place. That is such a random and tricky process that it gives plenty of scope for the actual teams to fight it out. The current system gives Oxford a few dozen chances to get a winning team ...
    I sort of hope these people get their way just to find out what happens.

Funny thing is, there are certain Oxford colleges I hope lose (cough Merton cough) and it's a bit like cheering on Man Utd's opponents in Europe.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:
    One silly old fool with a bee in his bonnet, who thinks Amol Rajan runs the programme, who thinks the BBC makes the programme (which started on ITV) and has records of every entrant for 61 years, and would be allowed to disclose them even if it did have.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

Their main aim is polarisation and discord, so they’ll be happily arguing the most extreme points of debate on almost any subject, trying to redefine language and the range of acceptable opinions.
    even with Russia's oil and gas sales, I can see them promoting extreme environmental groups because of the discord and disruption they cause. IMV Putin's a very short-term thinker.
    I think this is the point - the agenda is neither here nor there; the purpose is to sow discord in democratic societies with freedom of expression.
  • Options

Are there any genuine circumstances in which I can wear a balaclava that won't make me look like a bank robber?

Only if you are eight years old.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,394
    algarkirk said:
    Perhaps they can have 2nd class University Challenge on daytime tv
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    There's an Alan Botney spesh with Russell T Davies tonight for the Whovians on here.

Which reminds me, while Yentob is essentially beyond parody, he was the subject of my favourite of the Guardian's Long Reads pieces.

"If you have enjoyed any of the following in the last 48 years: Cracked Actor, Yentob’s 1974 documentary about David Bowie; Omnibus; Arena; films such as Chelsea Hotel and The Orson Welles Story; The Late Show; Have I Got News for You?; Absolutely Fabulous; Noel’s House Party; Holby City; Wallace and Gromit; Pride and Prejudice; Ballykissangel; the cancellation of Eldorado; the expansion of EastEnders to three nights a week; the films of Adam Curtis; CBeebies; Life on Mars; The Office; The Thick of It; QI; Sherlock; Strictly Come Dancing; on and on and on and on – then you, along with the loyal readers of Britain’s rightwing press, have been enjoying the work and creative decisions of Alan Yentob."

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/dec/13/alan-yentob-last-impresario-bbc
  • Options

On topic, yes.

All PR messaging requires credibility in the message and the messenger. I don't think CCHQ understand the extent to which they're lacking on both points.

They've also reached the point where they can't just play negative. They've been in power for 13 years. Government failures are their failures. Pointing out a vacuum of policy in the opposition - even where legitimate - isn't an adequate response when their own policies on those same policy areas are so obviously failing.

The public understand this too. I expect to hear '14 years' being used a lot in Labour's campaign messaging.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

Extreme groups tend to provoke a reaction against what they're agitating for, and discredit more moderate groups by association, so there's not necessarily a conflict in the Kremlin's interest there anyway.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162

Nigelb said:

Regarding the header, who are the 600k or so deluded souls that actually follow the account ?

Political obsessives, journos, and saddos.
    Those categories intersect quite a lot!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

TimS said:

Foxy said:

Extreme groups tend to provoke a reaction against what they're agitating for, and discredit more moderate groups by association, so there's not necessarily a conflict in the Kremlin's interest there anyway.
    Plus Putin remembers (and reveres) the High Old Times when the USSR used to fund every oppositional group they could, in the West
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,250
    TimS said:

Foxy said:

If I were the Kremlin, I'd boost the narrative that the Kremlin is manipulating things. It's the best way to stir the pot and damage people's confidence in the political process.
  • Options

War in Crimea?
  • Options

On topic, yes.

All PR messaging requires credibility in the message and the messenger. I don't think CCHQ understand the extent to which they're lacking on both points.

They've also reached the point where they can't just play negative. They've been in power for 13 years. Government failures are their failures. Pointing out a vacuum of policy in the opposition - even where legitimate - isn't an adequate response when their own policies on those same policy areas are so obviously failing.

And whilst there aren't any explicit punishments for political lies, the loss of credibility is an implicit medium term one.

Part of what happened in 2016 and 2019 was a group of political outsiders hacking the system to get the outcome they wanted. Their hack was to lie much more outrageously than normal politicians.

As outsiders, they didn't recognise that the cost of doing that was always going to come back and bite the perpetrators on the bum. Perhaps the only surprise was that it happened so soon.
  • Options

Foxy said:

You say all that, but Boris was very firmly against Russia wrt Ukraine; and the Conservatives under May were very strong over Salisbury. Compared to the Labour leader at the time, who seemed to want to blame anyone but Russia.
    Jeremy Corbyn called for tighter sanctions than were enacted by Conservatives. Whether he did so as an alternative to war or as a cynical exercise to cut off Conservative funding is left as an exercise for the reader, but he did.

Russia invaded Ukraine in 2021 and fully expected Ukraine to fall within days (remember the stories of officers taking dress uniforms). Two reasons Ukraine would not have been a factor in 2019.
    Oh come off it! Remember Corbyn wanted us to send a sample of the agent to Russia? What did he think they'd say? "It's us, guv!" or "That's an American/British/whatever agent" ? He sowed doubt about origin when we needed consensus.

Russia had everything it needed to become a great power after the calamities of the 1990s - aside from one thing. Leadership. Instead of trying to use its resources to raise Russia up, Putin and his cronies decided to steal, and to reduce everyone else down to their level. That's what he's truly interested in: not raising Russia up, but reducing everyone else.

And Ukraine, or Georgia, or a/n/other, would have been a factor. Putin is a fascist imperialist, and he'd know he might want to attack somewhere soon. It's not as if he had not already done so, is it?
    My first reaction to “send a sample of the agent to Russia” was whether they would want a finger or an ear…

• Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,392
    edited December 2023
    Glasgow council rejects a development on a patch of derelict land to put in a retail and restaurant development

"Members of the council's planning committee have now elected to reject the plans, stating they are not in accordance with the council’s Development Plan or the “global climate and nature crisis”.

"It adds that the plans were in opposition with the "Tackling the climate and nature crises" policy and "Climate mitigation and adaption", adding, "the proposal fails to give significant weight to the global climate and nature crisis or to consider how the surface water would be managed or take account of future risks of climate change."

No wonder nothing much gets built in the UK

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/glasgow-plans-for-retail-and-restaurant-development-in-east-end-rejected-by-council/ar-AA1lFoXq?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=dc4b48d603884f329c76935c24b053d6&ei=17

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,055

War in Crimea?
    Downhill skiing; F1 driving...

Note, there is a distinction to be drawn between the classic balaclava, and the three hole (eyes and mouth) version preferred by gangsters.
  • Options
    ajbajb Posts: 124
    Roger said:

OT. The Israeli's under Netanyahu are committing hara-kiri in plain sight. Their reputation world wide has been trashed. Perhaps one of the best reasons to think twice before supporting a proportional voting system when you have such a factional population.

The problem with Israel's system is that it's 100% party list based. The whole country is one big constituency. Which means that to get into the knesset, you need to either have your own political (or celebrity) cachet already, or be a party hack. So incentives are for the knesset to be divided, even more than in other countries, between ego-driven maniacs and bootlickers. There is not much fertile middle ground for conscientious public servants.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,666

An absolute corker of the misleading poll genre coming thru doors in St Clements this w/e. Would make a Lib Dem blush! For the record Labour won easily in May. Independent 2nd and Green Party a distant 3rd.

https://twitter.com/MartinStott65/status/1736495065822871588/photo/1

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/popshopamerica/recycle-old-flyers-in-super-cute-ways/
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,713
    edited December 2023
    ajb said:

Roger said:

OT. The Israeli's under Netanyahu are committing hara-kiri in plain sight. Their reputation world wide has been trashed. Perhaps one of the best reasons to think twice before supporting a proportional voting system when you have such a factional population.

The problem with Israel's system is that it's 100% party list based. The whole country is one big constituency. Which means that to get into the knesset, you need to either have your own political (or celebrity) cachet already, or be a party hack. So incentives are for the knesset to be divided, even more than in other countries, between ego-driven maniacs and bootlickers. There is not much fertile middle ground for conscientious public servants.
    Yes don't write off PR (or a system more proportionate than FPTP) by comparing to a crap PR system. Lists are an awful system for several reasons.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,460
    Disengaged Battlers. That's a new one on me. Is it a good thing? Is a Disengaged Battler something to be?
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,530
    kjh said:

O/t:

Just seen a red rainbow; only a partial one due to cloud. I've only ever seen the phenomenon once before.

Photo or it didn't happen, preferably with dog for scale and a half-empty glass of beer.
    Not a piccie of it at its best, but the only one I have that will be hard to geolocate, given it was taken from my front door.

Where is the dog?
    End of the rainbow, digging up the gold.
  • Options
  • Options

Foxy said:

You say all that, but Boris was very firmly against Russia wrt Ukraine; and the Conservatives under May were very strong over Salisbury. Compared to the Labour leader at the time, who seemed to want to blame anyone but Russia.
    Jeremy Corbyn called for tighter sanctions than were enacted by Conservatives. Whether he did so as an alternative to war or as a cynical exercise to cut off Conservative funding is left as an exercise for the reader, but he did.

Russia invaded Ukraine in 2021 and fully expected Ukraine to fall within days (remember the stories of officers taking dress uniforms). Two reasons Ukraine would not have been a factor in 2019.
    Oh come off it! Remember Corbyn wanted us to send a sample of the agent to Russia? What did he think they'd say? "It's us, guv!" or "That's an American/British/whatever agent" ? He sowed doubt about origin when we needed consensus.

Russia had everything it needed to become a great power after the calamities of the 1990s - aside from one thing. Leadership. Instead of trying to use its resources to raise Russia up, Putin and his cronies decided to steal, and to reduce everyone else down to their level. That's what he's truly interested in: not raising Russia up, but reducing everyone else.

And Ukraine, or Georgia, or a/n/other, would have been a factor. Putin is a fascist imperialist, and he'd know he might want to attack somewhere soon. It's not as if he had not already done so, is it?
    You've sidestepped that Corbyn called for stronger sanctions, also that Tories were taking Russian money. And as it was, the Western response to Salisbury was led by America, not Britain. Arguably this was just realpolitik when Russia seemed scarier.

Russia's little helpers in the last few years have been Conservative, not Labour, and the big prize was Brexit which weakened and split both Britain and Europe.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Disengaged Battlers. That's a new one on me. Is it a good thing? Is a Disengaged Battler something to be?

No.

https://www.britainschoice.uk/segments/disengaged-battlers/
  • Options
    Maid Mir.I.Am Chair of one of the “Five Houses” of the ruling Conservatives under investigation for "significant damage to the reputation" of the Commons and its members.” 😟

https://news.sky.com/story/tory-mp-miriam-cates-under-investigation-by-parliaments-standards-watchdog-13033359

Dirty business from Number 10 Dirty Tricks Unit and the Whips to knobble and tie up those who disagree with them? 😠
  • Options

kinabalu said:

No.

Sounds like Rishi Sunak:
    "Disengaged Battlers are focused on the everyday struggle for survival. They have work, but often it is insecure or involves irregular hours."
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,537
    Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:
    Prof Coffield does have a point. Durham and at least nominally some other universities also have a collegiate system so it's clearly unreasonable to let Oxbridge have multiple bites but not those. Something has to give.
    To be fair, however, both London and Wales entered teams by college rather than by university even before they split up.

Admittedly the London colleges and the federal institutions of Wales were far bigger than Oxbridge colleges.
  • Options
    Is it really only two years since PB was transfixed by the daily updates on the number of booster vaccinations given, with an emerging Omicron sub-plot to keep things interesting?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,441

Just go into the bank wearing a full face crash helmet. No one will ever know you have a balaclava beneath it.
  • Options

Just go into the bank wearing a full face crash helmet. No one will ever know you have a balaclava beneath it.
    I think this is bad ad visor.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,460

kinabalu said:

No.

Ah Mrs May's JAMs.
  • Options
    Not sure I've done the seven groups test before - maybe I have.

'Established Liberals', which doesn't come as a surprise - and, I'd guess, common on here along with the Progressive Activists.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,394
    ydoethur said:

I doubt you will be allowed on.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,976
    ajb said:

Roger said:

Being one constituency also glosses over how a significant chunk of the electorate do not live in Israel, but are in illegal West Bank settlements, while their Palestinian neighbours do not get to vote in Israeli elections.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

You could be ride.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

'Established Liberals', which doesn't come as a surprise - and, I'd guess, common on here along with the Progressive Activists.

Perhaps unsurprisingly it seems I am a Progressive Activist!
  • Options
    Selebian said:

kinabalu said:

No.

Sounds like Rishi Sunak:
    "Disengaged Battlers are focused on the everyday struggle for survival. They have work, but often it is insecure or involves irregular hours."
    Sunak probably more worried about Disengaged Butlers.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

That is the least of one's worries

The greatest difficulty one would encounter is finding a bank that hasn't been permanently closed.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,009
    Selebian said:

I'm a Progressive Activist

"Far more active in posting about politics on social media than any other group"
  • Options
    There's a metaphor somewhere in this.

This penguin is the world's highest-ranking military animal.

Major General Sir Nils Olav III, Baron of the Bouvet Islands is a king penguin who resides in Edinburgh Zoo, Scotland and is the mascot and colonel-in-chief of the Norwegian King's Guard.

https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1736658108322042352
  • Options
    I can't help feeling this is economically sub-optimal.

Water firms use up to 28% of bill payments to service debt in areas of England
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/dec/18/water-firms-use-up-to-28-percent-of-bill-payments-to-service-debt-in-areas-of-england
  • Options
    edited December 2023

kinabalu said:

No.

This set of 7 segments is idealistic to an remarkable degree. There are no categories, SFAICS, covering the varied terrain of: unemployable layabouts, career criminals, small scale dealers, useless selfish gits, the invincibly ignorant, people with tinted car windows, addicts of daytime telly, those whose custom keeps proper drinking pubs open during the day, MUFC supporters and lots of other characters who brighten our days. It is delusional to miss them out and fails to capture the reality of how life actually is for people.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

That is the least of one's worries

The greatest difficulty one would encounter is finding a bank that hasn't been permanently closed.
    Hell Or High Water
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Selebian said:

"Far more active in posting about politics on social media than any other group"
    Appears I am too, though tbh I feel more in common with the description of Civic Pragmatists. I actually share pretty much nothing political on social media fwiw, and I really don't think I could be described as much of an activist. Obviously it is not a great tool for individual diagnosis, but more helpful for looking at societal trends.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

No.

This set of 7 segments is idealistic to an remarkable degree. There are no categories, SFAICS, covering the varied terrain of: unemployable layabouts, career criminals, small scale dealers, useless selfish gits, the invincibly ignorant, people with tinted car windows, addicts of daytime telly, those whose custom keeps proper drinking pubs open during the day, MUFC supporters and lots of other characters who brighten our days. It is delusional to miss them out and fails to capture the reality of how life actually is for people.
    Don't they broadly fall into various other categories? The write-ups of each category are somewhat kind, but you can quite easily imagine the worst examples of each, and none of them are pleasant.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

No.

Don't they broadly fall into various other categories? The write-ups of each category are somewhat kind, but you can quite easily imagine the worst examples of each, and none of them are pleasant.
    Yes to your second sentence. But No to the first. None of the 7 categories remotely capture the lives and attitudes of loads of people.

• Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Barnesian said:

Selebian said:

Appears I am too, though tbh I feel more in common with the description of Civic Pragmatists. I actually share pretty much nothing political on social media fwiw, and I really don't think I could be described as much of an activist. Obviously it is not a great tool for individual diagnosis, but more helpful for looking at societal trends.
    Also kind of disliked some of the binaries offered; I think obedience and good manners are still important for kids, for example - though being creative and self-reliant will be important for them in the long run.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/dec/18/water-firms-use-up-to-28-percent-of-bill-payments-to-service-debt-in-areas-of-england

Last time I looked with the back of an envelope at the debt situation of Thames Water it looked to me as if something is going to pop and that much of the south east will be managing without water for a few years. It was obviously unsustainable.

As water is both regulated and (obvs) essential, it doesn't take much imagination to work out who is going to pay for any necessary salvage work after all its investors have taken their losses.

I guess it takes a special skill to bust an outfit that has a monopoly of an essential commodity but it can be done with effort.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    edited December 2023
    We've been in the new Marriott in Goa for almost a week and I have to say, it's easily one of the best hotels I've stayed in. We've got a family suite and it's absolutely lovely and it's only about £350 per night for the room including an incredible breakfast every morning. They also have evening childcare for toddlers which gives us the ability to enjoy a properly timed dinner reservation and we just pick Jen up and take her up to the room when we're done.

The amenities are absolutely brilliant too, the pool on the rooftop is amazing, has a great view and the bar staff are incredibly attentive.

@Leon if the gazette is still sending you out on travel reviews I'd highly recommend requesting the JW Marriott at Vagator Beach. It's a tiny bit of luxury in an otherwise vibrant and very Indian bit of north Goa. There's also a couple of really incredible restaurants nearby and absolutely loads of amazing south Indian restaurants. Also if you want to roll back the years and go for an all night rave I've been told by other guests this is the place to do it. Not that I'm interested in such things now that I've got a kid and another one on the way...

I think if we went to the middle east the same hotel quality would be 2-3x the price.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

No.

Yes to your second sentence. But No to the first. None of the 7 categories remotely capture the lives and attitudes of loads of people.

I'm not sure if you're arguing to have thousands of categories or just these seven plus one for arseholes.

But I'm not really whatever it is you are after is meaningful. These sorts of categorisations seek to group people in a reasonably limited number of groups using something like linear discriminant analysis. So the idea is that group membership is reasonably predictive of your view on X, Y and Z.

Does it work for every case in the sense of being 100% predictive of everything, and is every group blurb perfectly descriptive of all members? No, clearly not, but to do that you'd need to have many thousands of groups, which would make it pointless.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

Last time I looked with the back of an envelope at the debt situation of Thames Water it looked to me as if something is going to pop and that much of the south east will be managing without water for a few years. It was obviously unsustainable.

As water is both regulated and (obvs) essential, it doesn't take much imagination to work out who is going to pay for any necessary salvage work after all its investors have taken their losses.

I guess it takes a special skill to bust an outfit that has a monopoly of an essential commodity but it can be done with effort.
    If only Thames Water can hang on for a year, we can pin this failure on Starmer (assuming he wins).
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,142

kinabalu said:

No.

It doesn't have "Neurotic Analysts". I am underrepresented. :(
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Nigelb said:

If only Thames Water can hang on for a year, we can pin this failure on Starmer (assuming he wins).
    If Sunak really is frit and bins off plan A (2nd May) for a later election, we're bound to see similar bullshittery with regards to councils.

A deadly combination of a Tory government who slashed direct funding to zero and Tory councils encouraged to invest in property to fill the cash black hole has so many of them teetering on the edge. We're going to see another bonfire of Tory councils in May, so any that go pop in June onwards will definitely be the fault of the new Labour / LD administrations who have obviously broken the finances on day 1.

They tried that approach this year and were roundly laughed at. But will do so again given the chance because the party sneeringly assumes everyone is a moron.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

No.

I'm not sure if you're arguing to have thousands of categories or just these seven plus one for arseholes.

But I'm not really whatever it is you are after is meaningful. These sorts of categorisations seek to group people in a reasonably limited number of groups using something like linear discriminant analysis. So the idea is that group membership is reasonably predictive of your view on X, Y and Z.

Does it work for every case in the sense of being 100% predictive of everything, and is every group blurb perfectly descriptive of all members? No, clearly not, but to do that you'd need to have many thousands of groups, which would make it pointless.
    I think your first sentence captures it pretty well, making 8 categories, the eighth being the group of people who clearly belong to none of the 7 groups.

My point is that this group is not small, and certainly not insignificant. Taken as a whole their lives give gainful if taxing and unrewarding employment to multitudes.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    Just looking at today's thread and there's a lot of poor statistics from the first series of tweets. At subsample level loads of those variations with the identified groups are non significant.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,717
    MaxPB said:

We've been in the new Marriott in Goa for almost a week and I have to say, it's easily one of the best hotels I've stayed in. We've got a family suite and it's absolutely lovely and it's only about £350 per night for the room including an incredible breakfast every morning. They also have evening childcare for toddlers which gives us the ability to enjoy a properly timed dinner reservation and we just pick Jen up and take her up to the room when we're done.

The amenities are absolutely brilliant too, the pool on the rooftop is amazing, has a great view and the bar staff are incredibly attentive.

@Leon if the gazette is still sending you out on travel reviews I'd highly recommend requesting the JW Marriott at Vagator Beach. It's a tiny bit of luxury in an otherwise vibrant and very Indian bit of north Goa. There's also a couple of really incredible restaurants nearby and absolutely loads of amazing south Indian restaurants. Also if you want to roll back the years and go for an all night rave I've been told by other guests this is the place to do it. Not that I'm interested in such things now that I've got a kid and another one on the way...

I think if we went to the middle east the same hotel quality would be 2-3x the price.

Ta!

I’ve been looking for a way to get the Gazette to send be to Goa/South India - that could be it
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

Foxy said:

Tighter sanctions would have done nothing to deter Russia.

Military assistance (since 2014), something that Corbyn steadfastly opposes, has enabled Ukraine to resist (in addition to the courage of its own people).
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

No.

I think your first sentence captures it pretty well, making 8 categories, the eighth being the group of people who clearly belong to none of the 7 groups.

My point is that this group is not small, and certainly not insignificant. Taken as a whole their lives give gainful if taxing and unrewarding employment to multitudes.
    That's meaningless if the "other" group isn't, in itself, predictive of anything. Maybe the clientele of Wetherspoons at 11.30am on a Wednesday have similar views to burglars, who in turn have similar views to dope pedlars and the exceptionally selfish. But I'd not count on it, and presumably the statistical analysis does not support it. There is no real point, in this sort of analysis, to create a group for "doesn't fit that well in any group" if that group in itself has little or no predictive value.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469
    Taz said:

malcolmg said:

Leon said:

This is quite something. Whether you despise @VivekGRamaswamy or embrace his beliefs, he’s extremely good at this. Simultaneously folksy, charming, smart, lucid, and expressive. Doesn’t talk down; reminds me of a young Blair. Could easily be president within a decade

https://x.com/adamscrabble/status/1736453257587822834?s=61&t=GGp3Vs1t1kTWDiyA-odnZg

He is the holy grail for the GOP. The young articulate persuasive non-mad Trump

Heard him once and he is a total fanny. Faker than a three bob bit.
    I listened to him on the Merryn Somerset-Webb podcast last Spring and he was plugging a book on woke capitalism. Quite eloquent but struck me as a little bit bonkers.
    I note that Mitt Romney - one of the few sane Republicans - said that he would vote for any of the current non-Trump candidates for the Republican nomination, with the exception of Ramaswamy. So Vivek probably is bonkers. The little I've seen of him suggests another victim of Narcissistic Personality Disorder.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,196
    Taz said:

Glasgow council rejects a development on a patch of derelict land to put in a retail and restaurant development

"Members of the council's planning committee have now elected to reject the plans, stating they are not in accordance with the council’s Development Plan or the “global climate and nature crisis”.

"It adds that the plans were in opposition with the "Tackling the climate and nature crises" policy and "Climate mitigation and adaption", adding, "the proposal fails to give significant weight to the global climate and nature crisis or to consider how the surface water would be managed or take account of future risks of climate change."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/glasgow-plans-for-retail-and-restaurant-development-in-east-end-rejected-by-council/ar-AA1lFoXq?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=dc4b48d603884f329c76935c24b053d6&ei=17

These people are mentally deranged, obviously not enough brown envelopes
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,037
    MaxPB said:

Congratulations… it’s four times as hard!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    malcolmg said:

Taz said:

These people are mentally deranged, obviously not enough brown envelopes
    The councillors will then moan about poverty in Glasgow and hold out the begging bowl.

No doubt you're correct that a shortage of brown envelopes is involved.
  • Options
    Selebian said:

That surprises me. You trust the government and institutions? We need more cyclefree threads!
  • Options
    Taz said:

Isn't the killer line the final one of the article, "The proposal lacks an Ecological Appraisal. The proposal does not demonstrate that the loss of protected Amenity Greenspace would be able to be adequately replaced or result in an enhancement of the biodiversity on site, resulting in an unacceptable impact on the natural environment on the site."

Essentially, it's an incomplete application. Boringly, yes you do need to do the work as part of a planning application to demonstrate what the ecological impact is, and mitigate it. It isn't some kind of ludicrous ask, and hundreds of applicants do it successfully every day. This one clearly hasn't bothered.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,076

Taz said:

Isn't the killer line the final one of the article, "The proposal lacks an Ecological Appraisal. The proposal does not demonstrate that the loss of protected Amenity Greenspace would be able to be adequately replaced or result in an enhancement of the biodiversity on site, resulting in an unacceptable impact on the natural environment on the site."

Essentially, it's an incomplete application. Boringly, yes you do need to do the work as part of a planning application to demonstrate what the ecological impact is, and mitigate it. It isn't some kind of ludicrous ask, and hundreds of applicants do it successfully every day. This one clearly hasn't bothered.
    +1 - the only question I have is why wasn’t this application rejected on submission due to being incomplete, I suspect it only got as far as the committee because the council didn’t want to lose the application fee
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,009

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

No.

That's meaningless if the "other" group isn't, in itself, predictive of anything. Maybe the clientele of Wetherspoons at 11.30am on a Wednesday have similar views to burglars, who in turn have similar views to dope pedlars and the exceptionally selfish. But I'd not count on it, and presumably the statistical analysis does not support it. There is no real point, in this sort of analysis, to create a group for "doesn't fit that well in any group" if that group in itself has little or no predictive value.
    They may have "Do Not Vote" in common.
  • Options
    If the Scottish Government pretends it doesn't understand how the Barnett Consequentials work, what hope for the rest of us?

https://twitter.com/scotgov/status/1736370730051195272
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,713
    Leon said:

This is quite something. Whether you despise @VivekGRamaswamy or embrace his beliefs, he’s extremely good at this. Simultaneously folksy, charming, smart, lucid, and expressive. Doesn’t talk down; reminds me of a young Blair. Could easily be president within a decade

https://x.com/adamscrabble/status/1736453257587822834?s=61&t=GGp3Vs1t1kTWDiyA-odnZg

Well I was quite impressed and agree with everything you say, but then we get to the last minute and it turns out he is as mad as a box of frogs. I was expecting him to hug a bible and the American flag. Even having said that I still think your assessment is correct and that is a sad thing to say about the current GOP and the American nation.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,250
    https://x.com/thierrybreton/status/1736701607553692020

Today we open formal infringement proceedings against @X :

⚠️ Suspected breach of obligations to counter #IllegalContent and #Disinformation

⚠️ Suspected breach of #Transparency obligations

⚠️ Suspected #DeceptiveDesign of user interface

#DSA
  • Options
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/dec/18/tory-mp-miriam-cates-investigated-standards-watchdog

Quite striking statistic at the end, that of eight MPs currently under investigation for breaches of parliamentary standards, seven are Tories and the eighth was elected as a Tory. I know there are more Tory MPs than any other party but that still seems a disproportionate amount of (alleged) bad behaviour.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

algarkirk said:

kinabalu said:

No.

An other group is useful if you are doing a multivariate analysis and want to include those people in the analysis.
  • Options
    eek said:

Taz said:

+1 - the only question I have is why wasn’t this application rejected on submission due to being incomplete, I suspect it only got as far as the committee because the council didn’t want to lose the application fee
    Possibly the developer pushed for it. It's not an uncommon tactic to put in a maximalist first application, knowing it'll be rejected, appeal to the Planning Inspectorate, and hope for them to decide "we agree with the Council on A, B and C, but disagree on X, Y and Z". You then close off issues X, Y and Z (as the Planning Inspectorate has found for you) and only need to compromise to a degree on A, B and C.

People see planning refusals and assume it's the Council being unreasonable. Sometimes that's true. But sometimes the developer has a bit of a kamikaze first run at it for the reason described.

• Options
    Some comment on why MIC don't have an eighth group for 'assholes'. It strikes me they already have two (possibly three) of their seven groups representing that widespread demographic.
  • Options

Some comment on why MIC don't have an eighth group for 'assholes'. It strikes me they already have two (possibly three) of their seven groups representing that widespread demographic.

Also, given we're British and like to maintain standards, it's important to note that we have 'arseholes' rather than 'assholes'.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,911

https://x.com/thierrybreton/status/1736701607553692020

Today we open formal infringement proceedings against @X :

⚠️ Suspected breach of obligations to counter #IllegalContent and #Disinformation

⚠️ Suspected breach of #Transparency obligations

⚠️ Suspected #DeceptiveDesign of user interface

#DSA

Announced on err X
  • Options

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/dec/18/tory-mp-miriam-cates-investigated-standards-watchdog

Quite striking statistic at the end, that of eight MPs currently under investigation for breaches of parliamentary standards, seven are Tories and the eighth was elected as a Tory. I know there are more Tory MPs than any other party but that still seems a disproportionate amount of (alleged) bad behaviour.

Your counting quantity, but what is the quality? For example is "significant damage to the reputation of the Commons and its members” merely sending Christmas Card using tax payer cash or a wrong logo?
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Well I was quite impressed and agree with everything you say, but then we get to the last minute and it turns out he is as mad as a box of frogs. I was expecting him to hug a bible and the American flag. Even having said that I still think your assessment is correct and that is a sad thing to say about the current GOP and the American nation.
    He says Jan 6 was an “inside job”. He’s flirted with 9/11 conspiracy theories. He believes in Great Replacement Theory. He says the climate change “agenda” is a hoax.

He wants to end aid to Ukraine, keep Ukraine out of NATO, and leave Russia in control of parts of Ukraine.

And… and!… he’s a vegetarian.
  • Options

Taz said:

Obviously political correctness gone mad.
    Actually went to an aprés funeral thing just round the corner from there a couple of weeks ago. The area could certainly do with a bit of an uplift but if there’s one thing the east end of Glasgow doesn’t need, it’s another ill considered, thrown up development that’ll look like downtown Gaza in 20 years time.
  • Options

Foxy said:

You've sidestepped that Corbyn called for
    stronger sanctions, also that Tories were taking Russian money. And as it was, the Western response to Salisbury was led by America, not Britain. Arguably this was just realpolitik when Russia seemed scarier.

Russia's little helpers in the last few years have been Conservative, not Labour, and the big prize was Brexit which weakened and split both Britain and Europe.
    Do you think America would have given a shit if we hadn’t insisted?

That was how we got the most effective response to Russia - and they got something in return
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,915

The only time I have worn a balaclava was when boating in mid-winter. I probably did look like a bank robber, but a narrowboat is such a rediculous choice of getaway vehicle, no one would have misaken me for one.
  • Options

Respectfully disagree. The 7 groups, it seems to me, are characterised by their essential decency and diverse forms of idealism. This by no means captures the extent of human diversity in our national life. See above.
  • Options

If the Scottish Government pretends it doesn't understand how the Barnett Consequentials work, what hope for the rest of us?

It’s also a sneaky dividing line to make Scots think they are hard done by

A below inflation rise isn’t great but sounds a lot better than a “real terms cut”.

• Options

Taz said:

Bear in mind that "brownfield" sites can sometimes possess considerable value for biodiversity and as amenities. Do we really want every town and city to be wall-to-wall tarmac and concrete? The fact that these developers didn't even bother to address the environmental impacts tells you a lot about them.
  • Options

It’s also a sneaky dividing line to make Scots think they are hard done by

A below inflation rise isn’t great but sounds a lot better than a “real terms cut”.

The point is UK Government budgets do not provide funding for specific policy areas in Scotland such as the NHS. The Scottish Government is free to spend the money it receives from UK government as a result of the autumn statement however it likes.

But don't let that get in the way of abit of grievance mongering.
  • Options
    Keir Starmer, woof woof, is it just me?
This discussion has been closed.