Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Things to put on the side of a bus? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,843

It is not hard to find these facts about Nikki Haley's husband:
    "Haley is an officer with the South Carolina Army National Guard and specializes in security cooperation.[2]

In January 2012, Haley was deployed on a yearlong tour of duty in Afghanistan as a captain in the South Carolina Army National Guard.[3][4][5] The unit served in Helmand Province as an agribusiness development team helping Afghan farmers improve farming techniques and develop cash crops to replace opium poppies.[6] Haley served as a liaison between the military and civilian authorities.[7] He is thought to have been the first spouse of a governor to serve on active duty in a war zone."
    source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Haley_(soldier)

BTW, he was adopted at the age of four, so he didn't have the greatest start in life.

(Her daughter is a nurse, married to a football player, and her son is finishing up at Villanova. source: https://people.com/all-about-nikki-haley-family-7965486 )

That's one thing I find interesting.

The Trumpites have moved house to living down the rabbit hole.

How will it end? If / when Trump is locked up for a couple of decades, a kind of Usonian Noriega, what will happen to the Republican Party?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,231

The “sending your kids to war” I guess is based on her being UN ambassador?

I think he's just adopting the generic anti-neocon position that Trump originally staked out in 2015/16.
  • Options

On thread
    Things to put on the side of a bus, preferably all London Buses.

Fulham 5 West Ham 0

Happy days.

Whilst I am happy for you, Square, may I suggest it would be a bad idea to plaster it on the side of a London bus.

Nobody would believe it.
  • Options

OK, why do so many Scots believe that “Scotland sends more to Westminster than it gets back in public spending”?

Have leaders of the SNP been making that claim, without being "fact-checked"? Or what?

Reckon that a majority of Washington State residents outside Seattle/King County think the same thing with respect to to their tax dollars with respect to the Emerald City and environs.

Even though it ain't so, as media reports from time to time.

In fact, the belief of country mice, that they are subsidizing they are subsidizing city rats, is hardly a new thing. Rather, a very old thing . . . and hardly limited to Caledonians . . .
    Hmmm... I'm not sure the 'Scotland = country, England = city' analogy works at all. Both countries have an urbanisation rate of 83%.
    I actually used word "peripheral" in my comment but edited it out.

In case of Scotland, it's not a case of rural versus urban (as you point out) but rather periphery versus center. With center = Westminster.

Believe this was factor in support for Brexit in Northern England and Wales? With center = Brussels.

Of course, on THIS issue, Scotland votes against Brexit. But the political psychology for Scots was different, and much more akin to that of the Irish, at least those in Republic of Ireland?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,882

Oh, and has someone fallen into the Bermuda Triangle?

??
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,338
    "Saxony-Anhalt, a state in Germany has done what many around the country are calling for: If you want to be a citizen of Germany, you need to pledge allegiance to Israel. The legality of this remains unclear."

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-debates-tying-citizenship-to-israel-loyalty/a-67673872
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,843

OK, why do so many Scots believe that “Scotland sends more to Westminster than it gets back in public spending”?

Have leaders of the SNP been making that claim, without being "fact-checked"? Or what?

Reckon that a majority of Washington State residents outside Seattle/King County think the same thing with respect to to their tax dollars with respect to the Emerald City and environs.

In fact, the belief of country mice, that they are subsidizing they are subsidizing city rats, is hardly a new thing. Rather, a very old thing . . . and hardly limited to Caledonians . . .
    Hmmm... I'm not sure the 'Scotland = country, England = city' analogy works at all. Both countries have an urbanisation rate of 83%.

In case of Scotland, it's not a case of rural versus urban (as you point out) but rather periphery versus center. With center = Westminster.

Believe this was factor in support for Brexit in Northern England and Wales? With center = Brussels.

Of course, on THIS issue, Scotland votes against Brexit. But the political psychology for Scots was different, and much more akin to that of the Irish, at least those in Republic of Ireland?
    What will the key election questions be in Scotland?
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162

MattW said:

Bermuda said:

Theres also Vivek in the usa. Watch this.

JUST IN: Vivek Ramaswamy holds up a ‘NIKKI IS CORRUPT’ sign during the Republican debate and shames Haley on stage for being willing to send Americans to die so she can “buy a bigger house.”

Brutal 🔥

“I don’t have a woman problem. You have a corruption problem and I think that that's what people need to know. Nikki is corrupt.”

“This is a woman who will send your kids to die so she can buy a bigger house.”

https://x.com/CollinRugg/status/1732593214081978586?s=20

2 in one day! We are spoilt.

Who's kids has she sent (would she send) to die, where, and how did (would?) she do it?

How does this translate to corruption and a bigger house?

Is Ramaswamy performing the Indian "Enough Rope to Hang Myself" trick?
    It was bullshit.

Basically when she quite as UN ambassador she was $1m in debt. In the next 7 years she went from that position to a Forbes estimate of $8m net assets.

From disclosure she spent a year on the board of Boeing ($300k), wrote two books (O’Reilly estimated $400k), made 11 paid speeches ($2.3m). She also bought a house for $2.4m but - according to O’Reilly - “there’s no way she could get that large a mortgage”

He then insinuated she was corrupt because she went straight from being Governor of South Carolina (and giving tax breaks to attract Boeing to the state) to become a director of Boeing. Ignoring the fact that there was a 2 year+ gap between the roles.

While I agree with your analysis, the Boeing connection IS interesting. Given significant (and strategic) shift in the corporation's operations from . . . wait for it . . . Washington State to South Carolina.

Which has had so far mixed results for Boeing, with quality-control issues curdling the bean-counters' cream) but mostly positives for the Palmetto State.

Certainly Boeing bigwings (and boneheads) are appreciative of Nikki Haley's past (non-corrupt) services and her continuing clout in SC politics.

And her stint as UN Ambassador further enhanced her value.

All this is FAR from a serious or even semi
    -serious impediment for a POTUS candidate. But as in case of Mitt Romney, this is kind of corporate-government connection that raises eyebrows (as opposed to watering them) and inspires attack ads.
    The move to South Carolina wasn’t really about the tax breaks (nice though they were) - it was because it is a union free state. Boeing thought they could screw the workers but didn’t realise that aircraft manufacturing is harder than just regular assembly line stuff

(And given Boeing now has 10s of thousands of employees in SC having a senior SC politician on the board makes sense. And it helps that she is a woman and a minority as well. Plus I’m sure she made some interesting contacts in her time as UN ambassador - if anything that’s slightly more concerning that she could move straight from that role to a big defence company)
  • Options

Periphery versus centre is definitely a thing. Also, rebel against the established order.
  • Options

Indeed. Had a much more sensible, and quasi-plausible, approach to entering the PB debate.

But I smelled a rat from the get-go, as did others.
  • Options
    MattW said:

What will the key election questions be in Scotland?
    Price of sheep innards & other fixings for Hogmanay?
  • Options

??
    Bermuda Triangle It makes people disappear
    Bermuda Triangle Don't go too near
    But she Doesn't see my angle
    And she thinks I'm being dumb
    So Bermuda Triangle
    Here we come!

https://youtu.be/Ibpu0mTFXuo
  • Options

MattW said:

Bermuda said:

JUST IN: Vivek Ramaswamy holds up a ‘NIKKI IS CORRUPT’ sign during the Republican debate and shames Haley on stage for being willing to send Americans to die so she can “buy a bigger house.”

Brutal 🔥

“I don’t have a woman problem. You have a corruption problem and I think that that's what people need to know. Nikki is corrupt.”

Who's kids has she sent (would she send) to die, where, and how did (would?) she do it?

It was bullshit.

Basically when she quite as UN ambassador she was $1m in debt. In the next 7 years she went from that position to a Forbes estimate of $8m net assets.

From disclosure she spent a year on the board of Boeing ($300k), wrote two books (O’Reilly estimated $400k), made 11 paid speeches ($2.3m). She also bought a house for $2.4m but - according to O’Reilly - “there’s no way she could get that large a mortgage”

He then insinuated she was corrupt because she went straight from being Governor of South Carolina (and giving tax breaks to attract Boeing to the state) to become a director of Boeing. Ignoring the fact that there was a 2 year+ gap between the roles.

While I agree with your analysis, the Boeing connection IS interesting. Given significant (and strategic) shift in the corporation's operations from . . . wait for it . . . Washington State to South Carolina.

Which has had so far mixed results for Boeing, with quality-control issues curdling the bean-counters' cream) but mostly positives for the Palmetto State.

Certainly Boeing bigwings (and boneheads) are appreciative of Nikki Haley's past (non-corrupt) services and her continuing clout in SC politics.

-serious impediment for a POTUS candidate. But as in case of Mitt Romney, this is kind of corporate-government connection that raises eyebrows (as opposed to watering them) and inspires attack ads.
    The move to South Carolina wasn’t really about the tax breaks (nice though they were) - it was because it is a union free state. Boeing thought they could screw the workers but didn’t realise that aircraft manufacturing is harder than just regular assembly line stuff

(And given Boeing now has 10s of thousands of employees in SC having a senior SC politician on the board makes sense. And it helps that she is a woman and a minority as well. Plus I’m sure she made some interesting contacts in her time as UN ambassador - if anything that’s slightly more concerning that she could move straight from that role to a big defence company)
    "Boeing thought they could screw the workers but didn’t realise that aircraft manufacturing is harder than just regular assembly line stuff."

Indeed. And pretty freaking remarkable for an AEROSPACE TECHNOLOGY corporation!!!

Why??? Because Boeing let a pack of over-promoted bean-counters run the show . . . damn near into the ground.

Today the engineers are (mostly) back in the helm. Which is good news for Boeing AND for airline passengers.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

??
    So Bermuda Triangle
    Here we come!

That is unmitigated shit

Almost Radiohead levels
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,350
    CatMan said:

CatMan said:

kinabalu said:

CatMan said:

DougSeal said:

boulay said:

The arrogance of the Royal Family.

They send Christmas cards, not with pictures of robins, snowmen or Santa, but with photos of themselves.

What’s worse is that when they stick e tenner in the card for your present it’s also got their picture on. It’s all about them.
    Correction: ". . . IF they stick a tenner in the card . . ."

What are the odds of receiving 10-pounds gratis from The Royal Family?
    My aunt has sent me a tenner in a Christmas card every year for at least 40 years.
    Would have been nice of her to keep up with inflation.

According to the BoE Inflation Calculator (https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator), £10 in 1983 is £32.49 now. You should sue her for loss of earnings!
    More than £32.49 surely?
    Yes. I can't be arsed to work it out, but it must be hundred of pounds. But for some strange reason DougSeal doesn't want to pursue legal action against her elderly aunt. Takes all sorts I suppose.
    Err I mean "His" elderly Aunt. I think my French lessons are affecting my subconscious.
    Don't worry. We seals are far less hung up on the gender binary than you humans. Or at least Leon.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,981

??
    So Bermuda Triangle
    Here we come!

That is unmitigated shit

Almost Radiohead levels
    Reminiscent of later era Joy Division.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eld9wMh7c1g
  • Options
    Speaking of signs of the times (whether on side of bus or not) NYT had story about Starbucks wanting to reopen negotiations with employee union. (Thus repudiating Seattle's favorite hate object = Howard Schultz.)

Story was illustrated with pic of workers picking a Seattle Starbucks store. With one holding this sign:

"Seize the Beans of Production!"
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,350

Speaking of signs of the times (whether on side of bus or not) NYT had story about Starbucks wanting to reopen negotiations with employee union. (Thus repudiating Seattle's favorite hate object = Howard Schultz.)

Story was illustrated with pic of workers picking a Seattle Starbucks store. With one holding this sign:

I see what they did there.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,525
    CatMan said:

I don't know why ydoethur hates Ofsted so much. They seem like a perfectly competent organization.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/dec/10/ofsted-chief-should-quit-now-says-ruth-perrys-sister-as-briefing-memo-is-revealed

"Ruth Perry’s family has called on Ofsted’s chief inspector to resign immediately after it was revealed its lead inspectors will spend just 90 minutes on a briefing to address concerns raised by the headteacher’s suicide.

Julia Waters, Perry’s sister, said the “shocking” response showed that Amanda Spielman had “lost the plot” as chief inspector and should resign now ahead of her term finishing at the end of the year.

A coroner last week concluded that Ofsted’s inspection of Perry’s school contributed to her death. After the verdict Spielman announced a delay to inspections this week for training on “recognising and responding to visible signs of anxiety” during visits by the regulator.

However, an internal Ofsted memo, seen by the Guardian, shows that the “national briefing” planned for Monday will be a 90-minute online webinar and Q&A session, followed by a 30-minute regional “forum for follow-up” online meeting."

I disagree profoundly with Professor Waters.

As if Amanda Spielman ever had a plot.
  • Options

??
    So Bermuda Triangle
    Here we come!

Yes I know what the Bermuda Triangle is (supposed to be). But what's the context of your post? Who's disappeared?
  • Options

I can't abide Starbucks, but I'm willing to forgive somebody who can make a pun like that just about anything.

Well, not working for OFSTED, maybe.
  • Options

??
    So Bermuda Triangle
    Here we come!

Yes I know what the Bermuda Triangle is (supposed to be). But what's the context of your post? Who's disappeared?
    Oh.

Our new friend Bermuda, who presumably wasn't from Bermuda, but somewhere colder.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,210

They send Christmas cards, not with pictures of robins, snowmen or Santa, but with photos of themselves.

They always have, if you get a card from the Royals you want a festive picture of them on.

Former PMs like the Blairs also send such personalised cards
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

??
    So Bermuda Triangle
    Here we come!

That is unmitigated shit

Almost Radiohead levels
    I never understood the appeal of Concorde Nose.
  • Options

??
    So Bermuda Triangle
    Here we come!

Oh.

Our new friend Bermuda, who presumably wasn't from Bermuda, but somewhere colder.
    Not very acute, was s/he?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,210
    Given the current poll swing from SNP to Labour zero chance of any indyref2 anytime soon
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,980
    HYUFD said:

They always have, if you get a card from the Royals you want a festive picture of them on.

If I get a card from the royals I want a cheque on it.
  • Options
    Mean Girls is a superb film. I am ready to be judged.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,568
    Late in the day, today’s Sunday Rawnsley:

Four successive Tory prime ministers have been and gone, each arriving at Number 10 brandishing promises to deliver a better Britain, each departing a humiliated failure and leaving Britain in a worse place than they found it. Now, in another zoom around the Tory doom loop, a fifth prime minister is struggling to keep his head above water in a raging tempest of division and chaos self-generated by the Conservatives.

Research recently unveiled by Professor Jane Green, a political scientist at Oxford, suggests that the disintegration of support for the Tories is much less down to ideology than it is about a collapse of trust in their competence.

On Planet Tory, the struggle over the Rwanda legislation is being waged as if it is existential. Seen from Planet Earth, this is another and especially startling example of their incompetence. Their sole achievement has been to expel from the UK bagloads of taxpayers’ money without anything to show for it.

It is a rare government that does not commit any blunders and past ones have perpetrated some shockers as well. What marks this one out when you survey the 13-year span of Tory rule is the gobsmacking quantity of their fumbles, foul-ups, flops and fiascos. Every day makes it look more certain that Tory government is destined for the grave. It will be buried under the crushing weight of their sheer, blithering and boundless incompetence.

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Cfox said:

Trump on the path of revenge here.

NEW: Donald Trump is seeking revenge against Joe Biden and political enemies, telling them to "be very careful" after they "opened up a Pandora's box" by indicting him. 2024: The revenge tour The comments came during the New York Young Republicans Gala. "They rigged and stole the election of 2020, and since Biden has gotten in he is weaponizing government against his political opponents like a raging third world tyrant." "He’s opened up a Pandora’s box that will never let our country be the same. I can only say to Joe, Be very careful what you wish for, but you have done is a terrible thing."

https://x.com/CollinRugg/status/1733927591286133117?s=20

Hmmm... and how is Moscow?
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

If you get a card and a cheque from the royals we've all paid for it.
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

And @Anabobazina will never speak to you again...
  • Options

Mine are of a snowy mountain landscape.

With dog for scale.
  • Options

"The Guardians" had "City" and "COUNTY".
  • Options
    edited December 2023

??
    So Bermuda Triangle
    Here we come!

Oh.

Sorry that one must have passed me by.

I saw @Budlite take flight. He didn't land - he was banned.

I missed @Bermuda, were his posts short?
  • Options

How Lohan can you get?!
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,091
    Bermuda said:

I dont like the sound of this at all.

The
    @guardian
    has learned a major anti-Ukraine conference will be held in Washington, DC tomorrow.

@Heritage
    Foundation will bring together Hungarian President Viktor Orbán’s team & Republican congressmen to strategize how to end US support for Ukraine.

https://x.com/DougKlain/status/1733878005137625174?s=20

Hungary should be out of the EU. Sadly with Slovakia now run by another nutjob it won’t be possible to at least suspend them as that needs unanimous support from the remaining members . Thankfully Poland has been saved from disaster . Another term of PiS would have been the end for democracy there .

• Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,896
    IanB2 said:

With dog for scale.
    The big question is: does anyone here send out those comedy Christmas circulars, about how wonderfully clever and successful their children are?

A declining phenomenon it seems. We only now receive one of those each year.
  • Options
    AverageNinjaAverageNinja Posts: 1,169
    edited December 2023
    Why so many Russian trolls? Is there something interesting about Sundays?
  • Options

Why so many Russian trolls? Is there something interesting about Sundays?

It's an Orthodox routine these days.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    kamski said:

"Saxony-Anhalt, a state in Germany has done what many around the country are calling for: If you want to be a citizen of Germany, you need to pledge allegiance to Israel. The legality of this remains unclear."

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-debates-tying-citizenship-to-israel-loyalty/a-67673872

It's not quite allegiance, just recognition of right to exist. All the same, it seems dangerous to start making citizenship dependent on opinion, however widely it's shared.
  • Options
    Yesterday Nick Palmer mention that, back in the day, he worked as Euro coordinator for Eugene McCarthy's independent, third-party campaign for POTUS in 1976, after he left the Democratic Party.

Here is what EMcC's wiki page says about that campaign:

1976 presidential campaign

After his 1972 campaign, McCarthy left the Democratic Party, and ran as an Independent candidate for president in 1976. During that campaign, he took a libertarian stance on civil liberties, promised to create full employment by shortening the work week, came out in favor of nuclear disarmament, attacked the Internal Revenue Service, and said whom he would nominate to various Cabinet posts if elected. Mainly, however, he battled ballot access laws he deemed too restrictive and encouraged voters to reject the two-party system.

His numerous legal battles during the election, along with a strong grassroots effort in friendly states, allowed him to appear on the ballot in 30 states and eased ballot access for later third-party candidates. His party affiliation was variously listed on ballots as "Independent," "McCarthy '76," "Non-Partisan," "Nom. Petition," "Nomination," "Not Designated," and "Court Order". Although he was not on the California and Wyoming ballots, he was recognized as a write-in candidate in those states. In many states, he did not run with a vice-presidential nominee, but he came to have a total of 15 running mates in states where he was required to have one. At least eight of his running mates were women.

Nationally, McCarthy received 740,460 votes, 0.91% of the total, finishing third in the election. His best showing came in Oregon, where he received 40,207 votes, 3.90% of the vote.

SSI - Worth noting that Gene McCarthy's 1976 race as an Independent had the potential for affecting the outcome, given the narrow margin of Jimmy Carter's victory over Gerald Ford. By taking votes (mostly) from the Democrats (though many EMcC voters likely would have just skipped voting).

Indeed, based on numbers below (source Congressional Quarterly) believe it highly likely that McCarthy contributed to Ford winning three states (excluding OK) with total of 18 electoral votes

> Iowa (8 EV) Ford margin over Carter +12,932; McCarthy = 20,051 (1.6%)
    > Maine (4 EV) Ford margin +4,041; McCarthy = 10,874 (2.3%)
    > Oklahoma (8 EV) Ford margin +13,266; McCarthy = 14,101 (1.3%)
    > Oregon (6 EV) Ford margin +1,713; McCarthy = 40,207 (3.9%)

McCarty's highest vote total was recorded in Massachusetts = 65,603 (2.3%)

No idea how many votes that NPxMP won for EMcM via absentees!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

??
    So Bermuda Triangle
    Here we come!

Oh.

Not very acute, was s/he?
    That's a grave accusation.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,131
    kyf_100 said:

??
    So Bermuda Triangle
    Here we come!

That is unmitigated shit

Almost Radiohead levels

I...don't know how to process that.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

CatMan said:

CatMan said:

kinabalu said:

CatMan said:

DougSeal said:

boulay said:

What’s worse is that when they stick e tenner in the card for your present it’s also got their picture on. It’s all about them.
    Correction: ". . . IF they stick a tenner in the card . . ."

What are the odds of receiving 10-pounds gratis from The Royal Family?
    My aunt has sent me a tenner in a Christmas card every year for at least 40 years.
    Would have been nice of her to keep up with inflation.

According to the BoE Inflation Calculator (https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator), £10 in 1983 is £32.49 now. You should sue her for loss of earnings!
    More than £32.49 surely?
    Yes. I can't be arsed to work it out, but it must be hundred of pounds. But for some strange reason DougSeal doesn't want to pursue legal action against her elderly aunt. Takes all sorts I suppose.
    Err I mean "His" elderly Aunt. I think my French lessons are affecting my subconscious.
    Don't worry. We seals are far less hung up on the gender binary than you humans. Or at least Leon.
    If I make a joke about seals being flippers, do I get accused of bad taste?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

With dog for scale.
    Does you canine companion also send out Christmas cards including scenic scene?

With human for scale.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,398

Dave the best.

and the figure now dominating the government’s top table discussions is David Cameron — Lord Cameron of Chipping Norton — whose clear eye for political strategy and messaging has impressed colleagues since his return as foreign secretary last month....

...Cameron’s deployment comes after ministers said the former prime minister dominates cabinet. “He asks the right questions and what the strategy is and the messaging and some ministers seem not to have thought about these things,” said one. “Then offers his views. He is already the class act in cabinet.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rishi-sunak-tory-party-rwanda-bill-david-cameron-s8n8kfb92

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options

On thread

Fulham 5 West Ham 0

Happy days.

West Ham 24 points
    Fulham 21 points
  • Options
    TimS said:

IanB2 said:

With dog for scale.
    The big question is: does anyone here send out those comedy Christmas circulars, about how wonderfully clever and successful their children are?

Ditto we only get one now.

But in fairness we look forward to hearing how you are getting along each year.
  • Options

TimS said:

IanB2 said:

With dog for scale.

Carl narrowly missed that rugby scholarship but Jennifer’s loving her gap year.
  • Options

Cfox said:

NEW: Donald Trump is seeking revenge against Joe Biden and political enemies, telling them to "be very careful" after they "opened up a Pandora's box" by indicting him. 2024: The revenge tour The comments came during the New York Young Republicans Gala. "They rigged and stole the election of 2020, and since Biden has gotten in he is weaponizing government against his political opponents like a raging third world tyrant." "He’s opened up a Pandora’s box that will never let our country be the same. I can only say to Joe, Be very careful what you wish for, but you have done is a terrible thing."

Speaking of Cfox's trusted media source, Collin Rugg, check out THIS gem:

JUST IN: After blasting the media for their coordinated smear campaign, Alex Jones tells Elon Musk that he'd like to use X to raise millions of dollars for gun safety awareness for Sandy Hook families.

This is the side of Alex Jones the media will never show you.

"The media ran a year of articles attacking [Sandy Hook victims] in my name, saying things I never said as a straw man, enraging them against me."

"They've been victimized, they've been manipulated by a PR operation and so I would love to come on X with the families."

"I'd love to raise money on this show or your show, Elon, or any of them. I'd love to come on here and raise them $10 million for gun safety awareness next week."

https://twitter.com/CollinRugg/status/1733935206942539989?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

My wife and I should get a personal card from the King next May for 60 years of marriage, but would have preferred it from the late Queen
  • Options

Dave the best.

and the figure now dominating the government’s top table discussions is David Cameron — Lord Cameron of Chipping Norton — whose clear eye for political strategy and messaging has impressed colleagues since his return as foreign secretary last month....

...Cameron’s deployment comes after ministers said the former prime minister dominates cabinet. “He asks the right questions and what the strategy is and the messaging and some ministers seem not to have thought about these things,” said one. “Then offers his views. He is already the class act in cabinet.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rishi-sunak-tory-party-rwanda-bill-david-cameron-s8n8kfb92

Without going through the whole Cabinet to check, there cannot be many besides Cameron with experience of half-way normal government, given that the past half dozen years were spent dealing first with Brexit and then Covid, and Jeremy Corbyn's Boris Johnson's purge of the relatively sane.

The key to Cameron might be found in this video from the end of his first term.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9hqE5HVVQk
  • Options
    TimS said:

TimS said:

IanB2 said:

With dog for scale.

Carl narrowly missed that rugby scholarship but Jennifer’s loving her gap year.
    I like the way the one we get covers the whole family but is written entirely in the 3rd person, presumably by the family robot.
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

My wife and I should get a personal card from the King next May for 60 years of marriage, but would have preferred it from the late Queen
    IIRC one of your family has to request it... you may like to tip them the wink to avoid disappointment.

Many congrats though! Like me, you must have been only 20 when you married?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,448
    edited December 2023

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

IIRC one of your family has to request it... you may like to tip them the wink to avoid disappointment.

Our daughter has it in hand and I was 20 and my wife 24
  • Options
    TimS said:

IanB2 said:

With dog for scale.

"We are so proud of our lovely, fantastic children! Our oldest, Beelzebub, will be eligible for work release in six months thanks to time off for so-so behavior. And the baby of the family, Jezebel, has just received a very prestigious scholarship in modern media production from OnlyFans University!"
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,869
    viewcode said:

kyf_100 said:

??
    So Bermuda Triangle
    Here we come!

That is unmitigated shit

Almost Radiohead levels

Wait till you realise the vice versa video also exists:

https://youtu.be/OokDhevymOI?si=d8WGWMRO59jUlIXV
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

I was 20 and Mrs P. was 23! A few years after your wedding mind!
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,393

On thread

Fulham 5 West Ham 0

Happy days.

Whilst I am happy for you, Square, may I suggest it would be a bad idea to plaster it on the side of a London bus.

Nobody would believe it.
    Add a link to the highlights...
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

Mazel tov!

Speaking of getting personal card for Head of State upon personal landmarks such as advanced age and long marriage, when I first moved to Seattle, rented a room from a gentleman (truly) in his 90s.

I mentioned to him that he was old enough to receive a personal note from the President.

"I used to get one of those," he replied.

Turned out he was referring to the card(s) that he and his (late) wife just to received after they celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

IanB2 said:

Four successive Tory prime ministers have been and gone, each arriving at Number 10 brandishing promises to deliver a better Britain, each departing a humiliated failure and leaving Britain in a worse place than they found it. Now, in another zoom around the Tory doom loop, a fifth prime minister is struggling to keep his head above water in a raging tempest of division and chaos self-generated by the Conservatives.

Research recently unveiled by Professor Jane Green, a political scientist at Oxford, suggests that the disintegration of support for the Tories is much less down to ideology than it is about a collapse of trust in their competence.

On Planet Tory, the struggle over the Rwanda legislation is being waged as if it is existential. Seen from Planet Earth, this is another and especially startling example of their incompetence. Their sole achievement has been to expel from the UK bagloads of taxpayers’ money without anything to show for it.

It is a rare government that does not commit any blunders and past ones have perpetrated some shockers as well. What marks this one out when you survey the 13-year span of Tory rule is the gobsmacking quantity of their fumbles, foul-ups, flops and fiascos. Every day makes it look more certain that Tory government is destined for the grave. It will be buried under the crushing weight of their sheer, blithering and boundless incompetence.

I don't think it takes a lot of research to work out that competence is a bigger issue than policy.

The only people apparently unaware of this is the Tories, as they continue to pursue an utterly fruitless policy of sending Paddington Bear to Rwanda while about 30 million people are worried about getting a appointment to see a GP and the other 30 million are working out how to pay the rent/mortgage.
    Yebbut if they send a few hapless refugees to Rwanda all that will be fixed, shirley?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,728

MattW said:

Bermuda said:

Brutal 🔥

It was bullshit.

"Boeing thought they could screw the workers but didn’t realise that aircraft manufacturing is harder than just regular assembly line stuff."

Indeed. And pretty freaking remarkable for an AEROSPACE TECHNOLOGY corporation!!!

Why??? Because Boeing let a pack of over-promoted bean-counters run the show . . . damn near into the ground.

Today the engineers are (mostly) back in the helm. Which is good news for Boeing AND for airline passengers.
    And astronauts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_Starliner

Still not in service.
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

Mazel tov!

Speaking of getting personal card for Head of State upon personal landmarks such as advanced age and long marriage, when I first moved to Seattle, rented a room from a gentleman (truly) in his 90s.

I mentioned to him that he was old enough to receive a personal note from the President.

Turned out he was referring to the card(s) that he and his (late) wife just to received after they celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.
    The bar is higher in the UK - 100th birthday or 60th wedding anniversary. And only one card for each mind, don't expect another card on your 101st!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,106
    O/T

Was anyone at the opening of the new Brent Cross West station today? Geoff Marshall video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdybq0_R_g4
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,338

kamski said:

It's not quite allegiance, just recognition of right to exist. All the same, it seems dangerous to start making citizenship dependent on opinion, however widely it's shared.
    'Under the new guidelines, applicants would have to sign a declaration that they "recognize Israel's right to exist and condemn any efforts directed against the existence of the state of Israel."'

It seems a bit pointless, and possibly counter-productive. And probably unique for a citizenship process to explicitly require approval of another country?
  • Options

Cfox said:

Speaking of Cfox's trusted media source, Collin Rugg, check out THIS gem:

JUST IN: After blasting the media for their coordinated smear campaign, Alex Jones tells Elon Musk that he'd like to use X to raise millions of dollars for gun safety awareness for Sandy Hook families.

This is the side of Alex Jones the media will never show you.

"The media ran a year of articles attacking [Sandy Hook victims] in my name, saying things I never said as a straw man, enraging them against me."

"They've been victimized, they've been manipulated by a PR operation and so I would love to come on X with the families."

"I'd love to raise money on this show or your show, Elon, or any of them. I'd love to come on here and raise them $10 million for gun safety awareness next week."

https://twitter.com/CollinRugg/status/1733935206942539989?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet
    The gun safety awareness message presumably being don't send your 6- or 7-year-olds to school on the day the town psycho turns up with semi-automatic assault weapons, even if it is a hoax.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

Was anyone at the opening of the new Brent Cross West station today? Geoff Marshall video.

Weather was shite, so I plan to take my pics tomorrow (also hopefully fewer Youtubers clogging up the platforms :lol: ).
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

Geoff Marshall was presumably.

Serious question: it's a new station, why can't they set the platform height to give step-free access?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

O/T

Weather was shite, so I plan to take my pics tomorrow (also hopefully fewer Youtubers clogging up the platforms :lol: ).
    What a way to spend International Mountain Day…
  • Options

MattW said:

Bermuda said:

Brutal 🔥

It was bullshit.

Despite being an avowed Trainist, I'm worried I might be developing an unhealthy obsession with the new 777-9 (due in service in 2025). I even got the 1:400model already.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

O/T

Serious question: it's a new station, why can't they set the platform height to give step-free access?
    Because of passing fast trains (East Midlands, fast Thameslinks).
  • Options
    kamski said:

kamski said:

'Under the new guidelines, applicants would have to sign a declaration that they "recognize Israel's right to exist and condemn any efforts directed against the existence of the state of Israel."'

It seems a bit pointless, and possibly counter-productive. And probably unique for a citizenship process to explicitly require approval of another country?
    Is that those damn wokists the Saxony-Anhalt CDU at work again?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

O/T

Because of passing fast trains (East Midlands, fast Thameslinks).
    How would a higher platform affect them?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,131
    Pro_Rata said:

viewcode said:

kyf_100 said:

??
    So Bermuda Triangle
    Here we come!

That is unmitigated shit

Almost Radiohead levels

Wait till you realise the vice versa video also exists:

https://youtu.be/OokDhevymOI?si=d8WGWMRO59jUlIXV
    That's...possibly worse
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,106

Andy_JS said:

O/T

I meant anyone else apart from Geoff Marshall (or those on his video).
  • Options

MattW said:

Bermuda said:

Brutal 🔥

It was bullshit.

Despite being an avowed Trainist, I'm worried I might be developing an unhealthy obsession with the new 777-9 (due in service in 2025). I even got the 1:400model already.
    Here's a story to get you back on the (nearly) straight and narrow:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2023/dec/09/europes-geography-kind-of-reshaped-as-paris-berlin-night-train-returns
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

HYUFD said:

Mazel tov!

The bar is higher in the UK - 100th birthday or 60th wedding anniversary. And only one card for each mind, don't expect another card on your 101st!

> The White House will send greetings only to United States citizens for special occasions as outlined below.
    > Whenever possible, all greetings will be mailed from the White House approximately 14 days prior to the event. All baby's birth greetings will be sent after the event.

The guidelines for some of the most commonly requested greetings are as follows:
    > Baby’s Birth Greeting: available for babies within a year of the birth date. Please make your request after the baby is born.
    > Birthday Greeting: available for civilians celebrating their 80th (or greater) birthday and veterans celebrating their 70th (or greater) birthday. Please make your request at least 6 weeks in advance of the birthday.
    > Retirement Greeting: available for 20 years of service or longer.
    > Wedding Greeting: If you would like to receive your wedding greeting before the event, please make your request at least 6 weeks in advance of the date and submit using maiden names.
    > Wedding Anniversary Greeting: available to couples who are celebrating their 50th (or greater) wedding anniversary. Please make your request at least 6 weeks in advance of the anniversary.

https://raskin.house.gov/presidential-greetings-congressional-commendations

Perhaps worth noting, that when Abe Lincoln was President, it was customary and traditional (and visa versa) on occasion for any reasonably-respectable citizen (interpreted liberally for semi-sober White people) to gain entry to the White House and meet the President.

For example, on New Year's Day. An ordeal for POTUS to be sure, but also a privilege. AND sterling opportunity for any politico worth his salt and other byproducts.

During one of these occasions during Lincoln's presidency, Fredrick Douglass turned up but was initially denied entrance by gatekeepers. On grounds that, respectable and renowned though he was, he was NOT White. However, one of the President's personal secretaries intervened, Douglass joined the presentation line, and ended up having a short but significant conversation with Lincoln.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

IanB2 said:

I don't think it takes a lot of research to work out that competence is a bigger issue than policy.

The only people apparently unaware of this is the Tories, as they continue to pursue an utterly fruitless policy of sending Paddington Bear to Rwanda while about 30 million people are worried about getting a appointment to see a GP and the other 30 million are working out how to pay the rent/mortgage.
    I know its fashionable to regard yourself as a victim of something or everything these days but do you really think the entire population is worried about either their housing costs or their access to public services ?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,034

Believe that Vivek Ramaswamy's strategy is to be even more of a shithead than Donald Trump.

Somewhat similar to Ron DeSantis strategy of trying to out-wing-nut DJT ideologically, but with bonus for VR, that he hopes it just might get him a spot on Trump 2024 ticket, or at least a cabinet position in 2025.

On the theory that #45 will like the cut of his jib, and pick an multi-cultural mini-me.

VR has certainly been as nasty as his role model, and thus earned massive dislike.

Problem is that, while Trump is mostly disliked/despised by non-GOPers, Ramaswamy on the other hand has made himself heartily disliked by most Republicans.

Note that Ted Cruz also attempted same tactic in 2016. And got his foul head handed to him.

He is also, of course, among the long list of shitheads being funded by billionaire Thiel (who risibly claims to have retired from politics).
  • Options
    MattW said:

It is not hard to find these facts about Nikki Haley's husband:
    "Haley is an officer with the South Carolina Army National Guard and specializes in security cooperation.[2]

In January 2012, Haley was deployed on a yearlong tour of duty in Afghanistan as a captain in the South Carolina Army National Guard.[3][4][5] The unit served in Helmand Province as an agribusiness development team helping Afghan farmers improve farming techniques and develop cash crops to replace opium poppies.[6] Haley served as a liaison between the military and civilian authorities.[7] He is thought to have been the first spouse of a governor to serve on active duty in a war zone."
    source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Haley_(soldier)

BTW, he was adopted at the age of four, so he didn't have the greatest start in life.

(Her daughter is a nurse, married to a football player, and her son is finishing up at Villanova. source: https://people.com/all-about-nikki-haley-family-7965486 )

That's one thing I find interesting.

The Trumpites have moved house to living down the rabbit hole.

How will it end? If / when Trump is locked up for a couple of decades, a kind of Usonian Noriega, what will happen to the Republican Party?
    They’ll manage.

In case it hasn't sunk in: Republican members of Congress are going to have private, closed-door meetings with reps of Putin's closed ally in Europe, to plan how to end aid to our ally Ukraine, all hosted by a foundation working to end US democracy.
    https://twitter.com/capitolhunters/status/1733940161522881023
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,771
    TimS said:

IanB2 said:

With dog for scale.

Replaced by the folk who phone in to Classic FM on Christmas morning to boast about how many people they are catering for with their Christmas Dinner. I'm sure that some are just taking the piss.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

MattW said:

Bermuda said:

Brutal 🔥

It was bullshit.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2023/dec/09/europes-geography-kind-of-reshaped-as-paris-berlin-night-train-returns
    They are absolutely right about the joy of the journey, and the importance of these sorts of long overnight services. There are few opportunities to travel slowly but in comfort in Europe anymore. There’s what? The Santander or Bilbao ferry. A couple of sleeper trains including the Caledonian sleeper. One or two long Mediterranean ferry journeys, the best being those run by Greek companies. But that’s pretty much it.

The trans-Siberian is now out of reach of course (though people who’ve gone on it told me it got a bit boring), the overnight Ankara-Tehran train - with the ferry over Lake Van midway through - that I’d planned for a special occasion is now also out of reach for similar
    geopolitical reasons. There’s a long train through Morocco but I don’t think it’s overnight. And the overnight Dakar to Ziguinchor ferry which I was planning to take next Autumn as part of a Senegal trip has been mothballed since July.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

algarkirk said:

IanB2 said:

I know its fashionable to regard yourself as a victim of something or everything these days but do you really think the entire population is worried about either their housing costs or their access to public services ?
    Non sequitur.
    People are perfectly capable of working out when their government is persistently incompetent. They don’t have the regard themselves as victims to seek a better alternative.
  • Options
    Re: Greetings from POTUS, am wondering IF Donald Trump is still sending them out?

Almost certainly yes . . . as come-on's for fundraising letters . . .

"Sign up for monthly donation of $25 and receive your very own personalized greeting from Our 45th President, on durable paper made from recycled MAGA hats, suitable for framing . . . which is what that SOB Joe Biden is trying to do to President Trump!"
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,262

MattW said:

Bermuda said:

Brutal 🔥

It was bullshit.

Curious lack of french connections here. France - Italy night trains, for example. The link to Spain presumably difficult because of guages.

And, of course the nightstar link to the UK was aborted before the tunnel even opened. The nightstar stock was built, though. It's now in use in Canada.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

algarkirk said:

IanB2 said:

Non sequitur.
    People are perfectly capable of working out when their government is persistently incompetent. They don’t have the regard themselves as victims to seek a better alternative.
    Since forever surveys have shown people consistently rating their own financial position more positively than that of the country. At the moment most people think the country is fucked but they themselves are only struggling a bit.

However, for years people weren’t even assessing themselves as struggling. Whereas now they are. They may think the country is even more shafted but they’re not exactly raking it in themselves.

Though, as someone commented yesterday, the recent fall in petrol pump prices probably does have an effect.
  • Options

It’s my daughter’s favourite too.

She’s 11.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,944

algarkirk said:

IanB2 said:

Yebbut if they send a few hapless refugees to Rwanda all that will be fixed, shirley?
    If that actually happens, a Tory victory is then conditional on:

1) a few deportations then "Stopping the Boats"

2) that then overriding all other considerations in voters mins.

I would price that as:

Evens on deportations actually happening.
    10/1 on stopping the boats
    10/1 on that being the primary factor in voters minds.

So Sunak has bet the house on a 200/1 shot, with no back up plan.

It doesn't seem wise to me.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    carnforth said:

MattW said:

Bermuda said:

Brutal 🔥

It was bullshit.

Curious lack of french connections here. France - Italy night trains, for example. The link to Spain presumably difficult because of guages.

And, of course the nightstar link to the UK was aborted before the tunnel even opened. The nightstar stock was built, though. It's now in use in Canada.
    I had my first proper holiday with my now wife in 1996 in a month of train travel through Italy (she was an art student, I just came along and enjoyed the scenery) and we got there on the night sleeper from Paris gare de Lyon to Florence. Wonderful experience including the halt in the middle of the night at the border.

That map does make me think about planning a night train through Sweden to the far North.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

OK, so William in a Santa hat and Kate dressed as an elf.

But no, just a boring picture of the whole family dressed for Sunday lunch at a Toby Carvery.
  • Options

??
    So Bermuda Triangle
    Here we come!

Oh.

Sorry that one must have passed me by.

I saw @Budlite take flight. He didn't land - he was banned.

I missed @Bermuda, were his posts short?
    Pointed and often obtuse
  • Options

It’s my daughter’s favourite too.

She’s 11.
    Great taste from an early age. I make no apologies.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,262
    TimS said:

carnforth said:

MattW said:

Bermuda said:

Brutal 🔥

It was bullshit.

I had my first proper holiday with my now wife in 1996 in a month of train travel through Italy (she was an art student, I just came along and enjoyed the scenery) and we got there on the night sleeper from Paris gare de Lyon to Florence. Wonderful experience including the halt in the middle of the night at the border.

That map does make me think about planning a night train through Sweden to the far North.
    I've never been able to get a moment's sleep on night trains but I can't shake the romance of the idea.
  • Options

MattW said:

Bermuda said:

Brutal 🔥

It was bullshit.

Bah! What's the point of a night train? How can you see the scenery??
  • Options
    Foxy said:

algarkirk said:

IanB2 said:

If that actually happens, a Tory victory is then conditional on:

1) a few deportations then "Stopping the Boats"

2) that then overriding all other considerations in voters mins.

I would price that as:

Evens on deportations actually happening.
    10/1 on stopping the boats
    10/1 on that being the primary factor in voters minds.

So Sunak has bet the house on a 200/1 shot, with no back up plan.

It doesn't seem wise to me.
    Their only chance, I think, is in frightening people about how Labour will be even worse. They aren’t going to run on Tory success so expect some very very negative campaigning in the next year.
  • Options
    Twice as many people now think Rishi Sunak handled the pandemic badly than well, a new poll has revealed ahead of the prime minister’s crucial day of evidence to the Covid inquiry.

More than half — 52 per cent — of those asked in a YouGov survey for the Times said Sunak’s flagship Eat Out to Help Out scheme was a “bad idea,” with just a third — 32 per cent — saying it was a good idea....

...Sunak is also expected to face a tough line of questioning from Hugo Keith, the lead counsel of the inquiry, over the his failure to produce any of his WhatsApp messages from his time as chancellor.

He has told the inquiry that he has changed his phone several times over the last three years and does not have access to his messages as they were not backed up.

A source who worked closely with Sunak during the Covid pandemic said: “He’s going to get absolutely slaughtered over his failure to provide WhatsApps.”

A separate poll by Focaldata has revealed that 59 per cent of voters believe Sunak intentionally hid his WhatsApp messages from the Covid inquiry. Even among Conservative voters, 48 per cent believe he deliberately kept his the messages hidden.

The YouGov polling delivered better news for the prime minister on his estimated £400 billion of financial support handed to households and businesses during the pandemic.

More than a third — 35 per cent — said Sunak had given the “about the right level” of financial support, with 23 per cent saying it was too costly and 24 per cent saying he did not go far enough and more support should have been given. A majority — 52 per cent — of Conservative voters backed Sunak’s handling of financial support, while even a third of Labour supporters said he had got the right balance.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sunak-covid-inquiry-evidence-xz29jj6rd
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,944

MattW said:

Bermuda said:

Brutal 🔥

It was bullshit.

I have done the night train from Paris to Berlin. It was really quite comfy. Very smooth and efficient.

The night train from Krakow to Budapest was pretty grim though. Very hot, rattly and brakes squealed every few minutes.
  • Options

MattW said:

Bermuda said:

Brutal 🔥

It was bullshit.

Who cares about the scenery? It's what is on the front that matters!

Or on the back in the case of the Bristol - Glasgow overnight, that used to be banked up the Lickey Incline. A Hoover on the front and a pair of Syphons on the back - happy days!
This discussion has been closed.