Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Things to put on the side of a bus? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,686
edited December 2023 in General
Things to put on the side of a bus? – politicalbetting.com

? BREAKING: First Minister @NicolaSturgeon Scotland’s independence referendum will be held on the 19th of October 2023.??????? The campaign is on! Join over half a million people and pledge your support for Scottish independence at https://t.co/2gUjKuELTC pic.twitter.com/YZGCdCCZRB

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First like No in 2014.
  • Options
    Consecutive threads on Scotland today, you can all thank me now.
  • Options
    AverageNinjaAverageNinja Posts: 1,169
    edited December 2023
    I am AverageNinja. And I am number three.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    edited December 2023
    Damn. I missed it.

Who won?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,264
    DavidL said:

Damn. I missed it.

Who won?

The Labour Party.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Damn. I missed it.

Who won?

Scotland.

Part of me wished it had gone ahead, like four months after Sturgeon was arrested.

That would have been pure comedy gold.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780

Consecutive threads on Scotland today, you can all thank me now.

I'll save my undoubted gratitude for another time.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Lady Haldane determined that Alister Jack (who he?) could overturn the decision of parliament arrived at democratically with cross party support "just because". Haldane knows her law obviously. I'm not sure it's a great constitutional outcome, which is why no-one has triggered a Section 35 before.

Not sure about great constitutional outcome is a meaningful description either way. The ability to do this was left in deliberately and thereforr part of the intended constitutional settlement. Obviously it was felt it should be rarely used hence it not being done up to this point, and like or dislike the law in question people may have mixed feelings about using s.35.

But it is a part of the devolution arrangements even if not used before so really we've not really progressed or regressed at all, it's just the same arguments about whether there should still be that ability or not, since if in the same country of course something like this exists, which the Scottish public remains stubbornly split on.

I was surprised there wasn't more 'don't like the law but the override was wrong' furore though. Possibly due to the bill itself being confusingly called no big deal but also vital somehow?

• Options

DavidL said:

Damn. I missed it.

Who won?

Scotland.

Part of me wished it had gone ahead, like four months after Sturgeon was arrested.

Speaking of, when are they going to confirm nothing is going to come of that whole mess other than Murrell beimg shown as clearly incompetent?

I get financial stuff takes time but come on, get a move on one way or another.
  • Options
    Any sign of Opinium yet?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Damn. I missed it.

Who won?

Scotland.

Speaking of, when are they going to confirm nothing is going to come of that whole mess other than Murrell beimg shown as clearly incompetent?

Police Scotland said back in August it was impossible to predict the timeline as the investigation has gone beyond the original allegations.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/aug/03/impossible-to-predict-how-long-snp-finances-investigation-will-take-says-police-chief
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Damn. I missed it.

Who won?

Scotland.

Maybe not yet......

Here's your first look at tomorrow's Sunday Mail front page, which leads on detectives who are investigating the purchase of a top-of-the-range Jaguar as part of their fraud probe into SNP finances.

https://x.com/Sunday_Mail/status/1733610868795945267?s=20
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,856
    edited December 2023
    I see the Times is reporting that last week’s income threshold announcement was rushed out to stop Jenrick from resigning.

So basically failed on day one.

I feel like the only reason it is not causing greater controversy is that nobody expects the rules to be implemented, because the government is as incompetent as it is malevolent.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,841

I see the Times is reporting that last week’s income threshold announcement was rushed out to stop Jenrick from resigning.

I feel like the only reason it is not causing greater controversy is that nobody expects the rules to be implemented, because the government is as incompetent as it is malevolent.

Was Jenrick also wanting to split up families . Generally the crueller the policy the happier he is ! I’m surprised the new spouse proposals aren’t getting more coverage . Even by Tory standards the policy is despicable.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071

I thought I'd invented a new portmanteau - 'malcompetent' - but it turns out that it has already been used to describe George W. Bush.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,237
    I don’t expect Sindyref2 until the second half of the 2030s, at the earliest

And there is a high chance it will never happen, as sociopolitical and techno-economic changes render such things irrelevant

2014 was THE moment, as Salmond sensed
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    Sort of Scotland related:

Tory peer Michelle Mone 'regrets' getting caught denying links with PPE firm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-67674683
  • Options
    Leon said:

I don’t expect Sindyref2 until the second half of the 2030s, at the earliest

And there is a high chance it will never happen, as sociopolitical and techno-economic changes render such things irrelevant

2014 was THE moment, as Salmond sensed

2016 was probably the Brexit moment too, as Farage sensed.

Some you win, some you lose.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,429
    From the last thread.

Tidal has a number of advocates of PB. There seems to be a systematic bias against it in the permanent structures of government. For example a couple of reports are repeatedly passed around by the civil service claiming ludicrous cost estimates and that such schemes require insane amounts of concrete (CO2 emissions).

The later seems to assume that a tidal pond would be gigantic concrete gravity dam. Which I don’t think anyone is proposing.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,856
    These are truly dire times.

Britain seems to be governed by the Broadmoor Amateur Players, Scotland is a corrupt, one-party fiefdom, so is Wales, and Northern Ireland doesn’t even have a government.

Things can only get better?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,955

From the last thread.

Tidal has a number of advocates of PB. There seems to be a systematic bias against it in the permanent structures of government. For example a couple of reports are repeatedly passed around by the civil service claiming ludicrous cost estimates and that such schemes require insane amounts of concrete (CO2 emissions).

The later seems to assume that a tidal pond would be gigantic concrete gravity dam. Which I don’t think anyone is proposing.

That's what I liked about the Rainey proposal. You don't need to concrete over anything, unlike turbines which need to run at a high speed and water to be compressed into tight streams, you just have a huge amount of steel water wheels running at a low speed across the severn, which also mitigates environmental impact.

The low price they come up with per GWH is based on a ridiculously low estimate of the cost of constructing, transporting and installing the steel water wheels, but even if you double it, you still come out with something that's cheaper than offshore wind or nuclear.

His proposal passes the sniff test based on my armchair understanding, so I'm surprised it hasn't seen more traction.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,354
    kle4 said:

FF43 said:

Lady Haldane determined that Alister Jack (who he?) could overturn the decision of parliament arrived at democratically with cross party support "just because". Haldane knows her law obviously. I'm not sure it's a great constitutional outcome, which is why no-one has triggered a Section 35 before.

Not sure about great constitutional outcome is a meaningful description either way. The ability to do this was left in deliberately and thereforr part of the intended constitutional settlement. Obviously it was felt it should be rarely used hence it not being done up to this point, and like or dislike the law in question people may have mixed feelings about using s.35.

But it is a part of the devolution arrangements even if not used before so really we've not really progressed or regressed at all, it's just the same arguments about whether there should still be that ability or not, since if in the same country of course something like this exists, which the Scottish public remains stubbornly split on.

I was surprised there wasn't more 'don't like the law but the override was wrong' furore though. Possibly due to the bill itself being confusingly called no big deal but also vital somehow?

It's probably because one of the big criticisms of the law - that it would prevent (mainly) women's orgs that currently limit access on the basis of sex in Scotland from doing so - is a big justification for the s. 35 order when applied to England. So if your objection to the law is that, which in many cases it is. You'll probably be fairly sympathetic to the reasons for the challenge, even if quite pro-devolution/indy.
  • Options
    This Government is so utterly out of depth and out of time. It is now doing less than the Brexit Government of 2016-2019.

Why not just call the election?

Can we really go on for another year without the government being able to pass any laws? Is there now precedent to call an election or does Rishi get to wait as long as he wants?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983

This Government is so utterly out of depth and out of time. It is now doing less than the Brexit Government of 2016-2019.

Can we really go on for another year without the government being able to pass any laws? Is there now precedent to call an election or does Rishi get to wait as long as he wants?

He can call an election at any time up to December gets to wait until the 5 years is up which would be December 16th 2024.

So in theory it could be over a year ....
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,264

From the last thread.

You, of all people, should be aware that government figures on infrastructure projects seldom bear any relationship to the facts...
  • Options

Britain seems to be governed by the Broadmoor Amateur Players, Scotland is a corrupt, one-party fiefdom, so is Wales, and Northern Ireland doesn’t even have a government.

Well done NI is all that I think we can say. The tidiest solution of all. Don't bother.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

From the last thread.

That's what I liked about the Rainey proposal. You don't need to concrete over anything, unlike turbines which need to run at a high speed and water to be compressed into tight streams, you just have a huge amount of steel water wheels running at a low speed across the severn, which also mitigates environmental impact.

The low price they come up with per GWH is based on a ridiculously low estimate of the cost of constructing, transporting and installing the steel water wheels, but even if you double it, you still come out with something that's cheaper than offshore wind or nuclear.

His proposal passes the sniff test based on my armchair understanding, so I'm surprised it hasn't seen more traction.
    Low speed turbines are a thing, and are more efficient. The can also be put below the “surf zone” - where water and air mix. The massive momentary loading from waves, in that zone, destroys things very efficiently.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

From the last thread.

You, of all people, should be aware that government figures on infrastructure projects seldom bear any relationship to the facts...
    Yes - the later report (on the concrete) is a classic example of generating bullshit to kill something you don’t like.
  • Options

Who says that the government can't pass laws? The problem is not their capability (the next tranche of Rwanda nonsense will sail through the Commons) to pass laws, the problem is that they have either poor plans or no ideas.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    DavidL said:

Well done NI is all that I think we can say. The tidiest solution of all. Don't bother.
    Some of the indy scots quite rightly claim scotland should be able to call a referendum when they want else they are captive. However the other side of this is the rest of us should be able to call a referendum to say yeah we no longer want that part of the union....I don't see anyone advocating for this...i am pretty sure the best route to scottish independence is a referendum the other side of the border
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,956
    FPT
    DavidL said:

Do they even sell Tennents in the States?

Indeed they do. In Pennsylvania it is sold as a premium import in fancy glass bottles...
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

FPT

DavidL said:

Indeed they do. In Pennsylvania it is sold as a premium import in fancy glass bottles...
    I can believe that as americans consider bud light to be beer instead of bottled urine
  • Options
    Saudi Arabia set to take control of Heathrow
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/saudi-arabia-set-to-take-control-of-heathrow-bg2pl3c29 (£££)

More British infrastructure sold off abroad. Heathrow's current owners being, oh, China, Qatar, Spain, Canada and so on.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heathrow_Airport_Holdings

Still, the important thing is Heathrow is free from the dead hand of the (British) state. Foreign states are fine. I for one welcome our Saudi overlords.
  • Options
    I see Disney+ are advertising their Christmas playlists, including "Festive Favourite" Films

Yippee Ki-Yay
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Who says that the government can't pass laws? The problem is not their capability (the next tranche of Rwanda nonsense will sail through the Commons) to pass laws, the problem is that they have either poor plans or no ideas.
    Based on the media reports today, the Government's flagship policy on Rwanda is currently not going to pass a vote. So yes, they can't pass laws.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

FPT

DavidL said:

No wonder the NYT is always so rude about us.
  • Options
    OT Masterchef fans can try the winning grub.

TOM HAMBLET X CAMELLIA
    Hooray! MasterChef: The Professionals winner Tom Hamblet is taking residency as Head Chef of Camellia restaurant between 3rd January – 31st March 2024 to showcase and share with you his dishes inspired by his time on MasterChef: The Professionals 2023.

Take a look at the dinner menu below inspired by the challenges from the show. The dishes are subject to small changes due to seasonality and sourcing the best produce on the day.

https://www.exclusive.co.uk/south-lodge/experiences/tom-hamblet-x-camellia/
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    edited December 2023
    Scott_xP said:

I see Disney+ are advertising their Christmas playlists, including "Festive Favourite" Films

Yippee Ki-Yay

Watched on Friday night - it's a Christmas Movie no matter what a certain dodgy lawyer on this site claims.

As demonstrated by a different dodgy lawyer in Miracle on 34th Street that I've just finished watching...
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Scott_xP said:

FPT

DavidL said:

I can believe that as americans consider bud light to be beer instead of bottled urine
    Hence the Monty Python joke about American beer being like making love in a canoe: fucking close to water.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Yippee Ki-Yay

There was a lovely story about someone whose child came back from kindergarten stomping around the house shouting Yippee Ki-Yay. They inadvertently completed the phrase and the child learnt a new word....
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,626

Saudi Arabia set to take control of Heathrow
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/saudi-arabia-set-to-take-control-of-heathrow-bg2pl3c29 (£££)

More British infrastructure sold off abroad. Heathrow's current owners being, oh, China, Qatar, Spain, Canada and so on.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heathrow_Airport_Holdings

Still, the important thing is Heathrow is free from the dead hand of the (British) state. Foreign states are fine. I for one welcome our Saudi overlords.

Plenty of dead hands in Saudi. The ones that have been chopped off.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,354
    Off topic, but if Chelsea's FFP case concludes this season (unlikely, but possible), they might well be a decent outside bet for relegation.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,797
    edited December 2023
    DavidL said:

Consider the last thirteen years
    • 2010-2015: Con/LD, Cameron. Large majority, streamlined decision making. Policies were enacted in good time. But the policies caused problems (every solution generates new problems) and unaddressed problems festered.
    • 2015-2016: Con maj, Cameron. Most policies on hold due to Brexit ref.
    • 2017-2019: Con/DUP, May. Most policies on hold due to Brexit.
    • 2019-2019: Con min, Johnson. Most policies on hold until Brexit.
    • 2019-2020: Con maj, Johnson. Most policies on hold until Brexit. Then Brexit!
    • 2020-2021: Con maj, Johnson. Most policies on hold due to Covid.
    • 2021-2022: Con maj, Johnson. Most policies on hold due to Johnson.
    • 2022-2022: Con maj, Truss. Policies enacted! Pound collapses! Oh godsdammit!
    • 2022-2023: Con maj, Sunak. Most policies on hold/cancelled due to Culture War.
    The Conservatives seem to have forgotten how to do government, at a basic level. Its little triumphs (2-pound bus fare, lots of new train stations) are being ignored in the face of Big Things (15-minute cities!) that are conspiracy theories.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,056

Neither Median or Mode. Are you Mean?
  • Options

Give the COVID enquiry, what about Exponential Ninjas?
  • Options

I am an extremely nice chap.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 3,934

I am an extremely nice chap.
    With perfectly Correct manners perhaps?
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,771
  • Options
    The arrogance of the Royal Family.

They send Christmas cards, not with pictures of robins, snowmen or Santa, but with photos of themselves.
  • Options
    Portcullis House needs overhaul to ‘prevent glass falling on to people’
    Report warns of urgent need to address ‘severe structural failings’ in roof of Westminster’s parliamentary office building

Squeaky-bum time for PBers who bet on the old Parliament building to fall down first.

This bit is destined for HIGNFY:-
    It now appears that the building was constructed without providing easy access to the roof for workers. Maintenance requires abseiling teams, and a drone has been used to help visual inspections. “The original design of the building did not fully consider the need for safe access on the exterior of the main roof,” says the report dated August 2023.
  • Options
    CatMan said:
    These days, the cat would die, everyone would be arrested and there would probably be a judge led enquiry into what happened.

Note: working at height without protection (hard hat, safety ropes etc) is stupid.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,629

From the last thread.

Well there are proposals which would make sense alongside such a project.
    http://euanmearns.com/the-seawater-pumped-hydro-potential-of-the-world/
    The Scottish proposal probably won't ever happen, but it would be amazing.
  • Options

Report warns of urgent need to address ‘severe structural failings’ in roof of Westminster’s parliamentary office building

Squeaky-bum time for PBers who bet on the old Parliament building to fall down first.

It now appears that the building was constructed without providing easy access to the roof for workers. Maintenance requires abseiling teams, and a drone has been used to help visual inspections. “The original design of the building did not fully consider the need for safe access on the exterior of the main roof,” says the report dated August 2023.

This is the sort of nonsense that CDM* is supposed to avoid.

*Construction (Design & Management) Regulations
  • Options

I wonder how the mahogany interiors, made from illegally sourced mahogany, are holding up.
  • Options

Well theres always Trump waiting in the wings to rescue us.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,571
    CatMan said:
    Silly Ginger.

Life would be better in that setup in Georgia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katskhi_pillar
  • Options
    Dominic Cummings making some interesting observations on the ukraine war.

1/ not long ago I was seen in sw1 as an ‘extremist’ for being so anti-putin. When I suggested maybe putin had blown up the Moscow flats to justify Chechnya invasion it was seen then as ‘mad conspiracy theory’.
    2/ I’m not celebrating. I’m v sad about how the west raised the issue of nato from 2008 and doomed Ukraine and hundreds of thousands dead and tortured. It never needed to happen. We shd have left UKR neutral as everyone agreed after 1991
    3/ I said from the start the two most likely scenarios by far were a/ nuclear crisis at least as bad as Cuba or b/ what’s happening - disaster and Nato has to slink away

The whole strategy never made sense and was based on terrible *political* assessments and the absolute refusal in the west I’ve discussed 100 times to face industrial capacity & procurement

People much better than POB including
    @LawDavF
    made fundamental errors about *political priorities* and the nature of the West, never mind Putin

POB and others shd go through their comments & and analyse their *political* errors

https://x.com/Dominic2306/status/1732874693894390229?s=20
  • Options
    viewcode said:

DavidL said:

• 2010-2015: Con/LD, Cameron. Large majority, streamlined decision making. Policies were enacted in good time. But the policies caused problems (every solution generates new problems) and unaddressed problems festered.
    • 2022-2023: Con maj, Sunak. Most policies on hold/cancelled due to Culture War.
    The Conservatives seem to have forgotten how to do government, at a basic level. Its little triumphs (2-pound bus fare, lots of new train stations) are being ignored in the face of Big Things (15-minute cities!) that are conspiracy theories.
    Is there a list of new train stations? Any north of Watford?

All I want at mine is for wheelchair users to be able to cross from Platform 1 to Platform 2 without having to make a 90 minute journey via Nottingham or Chesterfield to do it.
  • Options
    The only person on pb who has been at all correct on the ukraine war has been Leon and even he still overestimates Ukraine. This is Putin this week looking very chipper.

Putin doesn’t sound like a man who’s interested in a negotiated peace in Ukraine:

“They’re running out [of weapons]… They don’t have anything, they have no future. But we do have a future.”

(This is a newly released clip from his Kremlin awards ceremony for troops on Friday)

https://x.com/francis_scarr/status/1733826361897136303?s=20
  • Options
    Really shocking details about the situation in Ukrainian army from Ukrainian journalist and blogger in exile Anatolii Sharii.

Due to lack of manpower there are already many people in Ukrainian army who aren't fit to serve, nevertheless they've been mobilized.

First they're being told that they won't end up on the front lines, potentially just doing some office job or delivering supplies.

However when they end up in the army their commander can decide to do whatever he wants to with them, including sending a man with one leg to storm the trenches.

According to Ukrainian politician and current military commander Roman Kostenko this does happen. Giving one example with a soldier telling he isn't physically able to put the bulletproof vest, let alone carry the weight of it and running to storm the Russian positions.

Sharii confirms all of such soldiers are dead men walking with no chance of survival due to their health issues which should have been enough not to draft them into the army.

Sharii's sources on the Russian side tell him that the quality of Ukrainian prisoners of war is shocking, a horror. There's impression that some of those POWs are mentally challenged, some in bad physical state, not fit enough to be recruited.

Those not fit to serve who nevertheless get drafted are for example get promised to operate drones far from the front lines but in reality those are lies. There aren't enough drones and already trained people for this task.

Sharii states that the US is most likely done with Ukraine.

Biden administration wants the EU to finance and arm Ukraine but EU itself is also in bad shape.

However either Zelensky doesn't understand that the US wants him to end the war at any cost for Ukraine or he doesn't want to end it believing EU help will be enough or the US leadership will change its mind.

His goal is to create the illusion that Ukraine is still advancing, still able to win the war.

But for it to happen he will need as much manpower as he can find, even people with one leg or arm.

He wants to show that he's still useful for the US and NATO.

The cost for this approach will be brutal for Ukrainian population.

https://x.com/talkrealopinion/status/1733867584175415782?s=20
  • Options
    There seems to be a recently joined Russian troll?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,201
    FPTP and (later) on topic.

@Leon . Sorry to hear of your ill health. Have I got this right? You went to Bangkok for your enhancement operation, your old boy started bleeding and a Thai nurse cured you of cancer, all on the same day. You wouldn't get that kind of service on the NHS! Not even with the £315m a day on the side of a bus added in.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    MJW said:

Off topic, but if Chelsea's FFP case concludes this season (unlikely, but possible), they might well be a decent outside bet for relegation.

Man U look like an outside chance for relegation without any help from anybody.
  • Options
    Intelligent people like rcs have to reflect about how they got the ukraine war so wrong. Maybe learn from the likes of Leon.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786
    Budlite said:

The only person on pb who has been at all correct on the ukraine war has been Leon and even he still overestimates Ukraine. This is Putin this week looking very chipper.

Putin doesn’t sound like a man who’s interested in a negotiated peace in Ukraine:

“They’re running out [of weapons]… They don’t have anything, they have no future. But we do have a future.”

(This is a newly released clip from his Kremlin awards ceremony for troops on Friday)

https://x.com/francis_scarr/status/1733826361897136303?s=20

Yeah right - so Leon is bored!
  • Options
    Putin isn't increasing the size of the Russian army and record military budget to hold some villages in Donbass.

There will be big moves in Ukraine eventually, bigger than 24th February 2022.
    10:36 PM · Dec 9, 2023
    ·
    Views

https://x.com/talkrealopinion/status/1733616554367938653?s=20
  • Options
    Budlite said:

Putin isn't increasing the size of the Russian army and record military budget to hold some villages in Donbass.

·
    Views

Gone already. Bye-bye
  • Options
    wow I make a comment about budlight and suddenly a troll appears I guess putin is a worshipper of me
  • Options

Finishing laughing 30 minutes later.

Have you actually met someone who reads the telephone directories of guff that are generated under CDM?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

FF43 said:

I may have got this wrong, and I am certain people can put me right about this. Isn't the real problem quite simple. There are different views about how to deal with the whole biological sex/gender thing, and the process of transition, but what doesn't make sense in a small mobile state is to have different laws about it in different bits. Because it is unavoidable then that in some cases a person will be lawfully male in England and lawfully female in Scotland. Which, as they say, would be repugnant to the intellect; and for those of us living near the border where some people cross it daily, odd.
  • Options

Cunning, very cunning. I'm amazed that someone hasn't shot you already.
  • Options

@Leon . Sorry to hear of your ill health. Have I got this right? You went to Bangkok for your enhancement operation, your old boy started bleeding and a Thai nurse cured you of cancer, all on the same day. You wouldn't get that kind of service on the NHS! Not even with the £315m a day on the side of a bus added in.

Would an extra £35m a day make the difference?
  • Options

I wonder how the mahogany interiors, made from illegally sourced mahogany, are holding up.
    If only they'd learned the lessons of the Crystal Palace, or umpteen Victorian Stations. Probably.
  • Options

Budlite said:

·
    Views

Gone already. Bye-bye
    He chose poorly in attacking @rcs1000 and using Dom Cummings as a source.

• Options
    Budlite said:

Maybe learn from the likes of Leon.

How to spot a troll in 7 words or less...
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Would an extra £35m a day make the difference?
    No, money can't buy Bangkok (within 24 hours) cancer curing healthcare service of that quality. I'd rounded up based on recent inflation too.
  • Options
    MattW said:

If only they'd learned the lessons of the Crystal Palace, or umpteen Victorian Stations. Probably.
    Crystal Palace was a temporary building. Probably bloody difficult to clean the roof.

Paddington, which was inspired by it, was difficult to clean/fix IIRC.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,147
    Omnium said:

I feel dead sorry for AverageNinja and anyone else who joins on a weekend. The suspicion follows them around for weeks.
  • Options
    Has the government u-turned yet on the £38.7k earnings threshold being retrospectively applied to those with partners already in the UK?

Hayley, like other British people at risk of exile, is particularly concerned about proposals saying that people already in the UK will need to meet the higher threshold when they renew their visas.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/dec/10/fury-grows-over-tory-visa-rules-where-only-the-rich-dare-fall-in-love

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

Budlite said:

Fairplay to Leon he played the long game, 41,500 posts before declaring for Putin.
  • Options

MattW said:

Crystal Palace was a temporary building. Probably bloody difficult to clean the roof.

I'm not sure that the relocated Crystal Palace was regarded as temporary. There were some pretty non-temporary works around it that would suggest it wasn't. (Amazing tunnels)

Paddington wasn't inspired by Crystal Palace. Brunel clearly would have had Paddington as a bit special.

• Options

Scott_xP said:

Yippee Ki-Yay

There was a lovely story about someone whose child came back from kindergarten stomping around the house shouting Yippee Ki-Yay. They inadvertently completed the phrase and the child learnt a new word....
    Don't forget Christmas Star Trek, the Next Generation.

Make it so ! Make it so ! Make it so !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiSn2JuDQSc
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Budlite said:

The quality of russian trolls appears to be declining. Perhaps Putin really does have a manpower problem.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,147

Scott_xP said:

Budlite said:

The quality of russian trolls appears to be declining. Perhaps Putin really does have a manpower problem.
    I’m always available but he seems not to be interested in recruiting seals.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

MattW said:

I'm not sure that the relocated Crystal Palace was regarded as temporary. There were some pretty non-temporary works around it that would suggest it wasn't. (Amazing tunnels)

Paddington wasn't inspired by Crystal Palace. Brunel clearly would have had Paddington as a bit special.

I meant as originally constructed - its later life was a semi-accident. See Eiffel Tower.

Brunel stated on many occasions that he was very impressed by the Crystal Palace design, and that it inspired part of the Paddington design.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Omnium said:

I feel dead sorry for AverageNinja and anyone else who joins on a weekend. The suspicion follows them around for weeks.
    If the smart moves of these people are running an obvious toad and getting another toad to try to build credibility by criticising the first then we can be pretty relaxed. However they're not that daft (well they probably are, but let's assume not), and I hope RCS and co spot them.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,629
    Large parts of the GOP seem also to be a Russian troll operation these days.

Republicans to meet allies of Hungary’s Viktor Orbán on ending Ukraine aid
    Hungarian appearance at two-day event part of Orbán’s transatlantic attempt to bolster Russia’s war
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/dec/10/hungary-viktor-orban-republicans-ukraine-aidP
  • Options
    "Why do people always wait until January to get fit?"

BBC headline on website.

An article, involving research by Dr Somebody from Something University which, it will be acknowledged, is a question both of fantastic complexity, depth, and difficulty, combined with unparalleled global importance.

Has anyone any idea what this ground breaking stuff might reveal?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661
    At least we won't have to watch any more of their adverts.

"Smile Direct Club dentistry aligners firm shuts down"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67675431
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,797
    algarkirk said:

kle4 said:

FF43 said:

I may have got this wrong, and I am certain people can put me right about this. Isn't the real problem quite simple. There are different views about how to deal with the whole biological sex/gender thing, and the process of transition, but what doesn't make sense in a small mobile state is to have different laws about it in different bits. Because it is unavoidable then that in some cases a person will be lawfully male in England and lawfully female in Scotland. Which, as they say, would be repugnant to the intellect; and for those of us living near the border where some people cross it daily, odd.
    "small mobile state" -> "small state with intrastate mobility". The state does not move.

It's alright: everybody else hates me too :)
  • Options
    MattW said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

Is there a list of new train stations? Any north of Watford?

All I want at mine is for wheelchair users to be able to cross from Platform 1 to Platform 2 without having to make a 90 minute journey via Nottingham or Chesterfield to do it.
    https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/new-station-calendar.169424/
  • Options

Omnium said:

MattW said:

I meant as originally constructed - its later life was a semi-accident. See Eiffel Tower.

Brunel stated on many occasions that he was very impressed by the Crystal Palace design, and that it inspired part of the Paddington design.
    Brunel was part of the Crystal Palace committee. He built his station and I think it's very appropriate that his statue sits there.
  • Options

Finishing laughing 30 minutes later.

Have you actually met someone who reads the telephone directories of guff that are generated under CDM?
    The training I have received is sufficient to inform me to stay well clear!
  • Options
    I am not a troll!

I know that is what a troll would say - but I am not a troll! And that is also what a troll would say!

Recursion, activated
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Hungarian appearance at two-day event part of Orbán’s transatlantic attempt to bolster Russia’s war
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/dec/10/hungary-viktor-orban-republicans-ukraine-aidP

And of course theres Tucker Carlson who has also been interviewd by Russian tv. Heres his latest

Tucker says we are on a fast track towards assassination (of Trump)

Look.. I'm the furthest thing from a fear mongerer. Most people would actually call my views hopium.

But I gotta be real on this one... This would be my fear.

DJT is the only thing allowing most people to hang on to any hope still, at this point. If Trump were taken out.. The globalists would get exactly what they want.

Chaos in the streets.. UN soldiers.. Civil war.. Our worlds would turn inside out.

We know to much now. We won't let them get away with a JFK or a 9/11 again.. Not without a fight. And that's what I believe they want.

Dasting comments..

https://x.com/BrainStorm_Joe/status/1733223155877986755?s=20
  • Options
    Theres also Vivek in the usa. Watch this.

JUST IN: Vivek Ramaswamy holds up a ‘NIKKI IS CORRUPT’ sign during the Republican debate and shames Haley on stage for being willing to send Americans to die so she can “buy a bigger house.”

Brutal 🔥

“I don’t have a woman problem. You have a corruption problem and I think that that's what people need to know. Nikki is corrupt.”

“This is a woman who will send your kids to die so she can buy a bigger house.”

https://x.com/CollinRugg/status/1732593214081978586?s=20
  • Options

I am not a troll!

I know that is what a troll would say - but I am not a troll! And that is also what a troll would say!

Recursion, activated

Perhaps you protest too much.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976
    Bermuda said:

Nigelb said:

And of course theres Tucker Carlson who has also been interviewd by Russian tv. Heres his latest

Tucker says we are on a fast track towards assassination (of Trump)

Look.. I'm the furthest thing from a fear mongerer. Most people would actually call my views hopium.

But I gotta be real on this one... This would be my fear.

DJT is the only thing allowing most people to hang on to any hope still, at this point. If Trump were taken out.. The globalists would get exactly what they want.

Chaos in the streets.. UN soldiers.. Civil war.. Our worlds would turn inside out.

We know to much now. We won't let them get away with a JFK or a 9/11 again.. Not without a fight. And that's what I believe they want.

Dasting comments..

https://x.com/BrainStorm_Joe/status/1733223155877986755?s=20
    Globalists want chaos and Civil War?
    Why isn't it here then? Since they control all?
This discussion has been closed.