Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

You can’t handle the truth – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,991
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Quite interesting Ashcroft polling on the nuances of US public perceptions in supporting Israel and Ukraine, and how Trump fans differ:

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2023/12/my-latest-us-polling-and-what-it-means-on-ukraine/

What should we make of the cancellation of Zelensky's speech to the Senate? While there are Senators who are sceptical about Ukraine funding, the main obstacle is the House, so I'm not sure why he called it off.

Probably because of this:
    https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4343929-senate-republicans-ukraine-funding-tempers-flare-classified-briefing/
    The US / Ukraine situation is entirely based on money politically, when most of the actual aid being sent to Ukraine is simply transfers of old stockpiles of kit that was about to be scrapped anyway, with the numbers making no sense whatsoever in reality.
    Indeed.
    But without further Congressional approval, the US will have to stop sending pretty well all military aid by the end of this month.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,961
    Partygate covers reports of events on:

15 May 2020
    20 May 2020
    18 June 2020
    19 June 2020
    an unspecified date in September 2020
    13 November 2020
    27 November 2020
    15 December 2020
    17 December 2020
    18 December 2020
    14 January 2021
    16 April 2021

plus allegations of more (basically every Friday).

The police issued 126 Fixed Penalty Notices, so that is 126 times someone broke the law, plus there were another 24 FPNs for the Conservative Party party hosted by Shaun Bailey. There are allegations of a large number of further incidents never being looked at by the police.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,561
    edited December 2023

Sandpit said:

Incidentally, I was only one of two swimmers when I went to the pool this morning. I chatted to the lifeguard and another staff member, and said: "Have I gone wrong and ended up in the Marie Celeste?"

They looked at each other, and asked: "What's that?"

Two women in their twenties had not heard of the Marie Celeste. I find that quite incredible.

They seemed to quite enjoy the story when I told them it.

I mentioned yesterday that I was now being assisted by carers. It often surprises my wife and myself, when we make reference to something which we regard as common knowledge, how often our carers look at us blankly and say that they've never heard of whatever it is.
    I was watching a video yesterday by an American cultural commentator lady, who said that she was born after 9/11. :open_mouth:

I’m 45 and feeling very old!
    I was still working then; seems a long, long time ago.
    I've been retired longer than I held any particular job!
    Finally you found a role that no-one is going to sack you from? Except him upstairs, obvs.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Clare Wilson
    @ClareWilsonMed
    A PR firm has just sent me a list of the "best countries to move to, to lose weight", because they have lowest national BMI, and their number one country is Ethiopia

:o

Speaking of weight loss - I’m on Wegovy after trying Ozempic. Definitely lost some weight … but much more interestingly it has really changed my desire for booze

I reckon it’s roughly halved my intake. I still enjoy a glass - or indeed several - but then I stop. My desire is sated much quicker. Its truly odd

These things could be absolute wonder drugs as long as it doesn’t turn out they all give you brain cancer
    We're grateful for the current guinea pigs engaged in the large scale, long term trial which will help determine that.

So thanks.
    I'm confused (or perhaps Leon is). Ozempic is Wegovy. Both are semaglutide.
    Different dosage levels (and separate FDA authorisations) for the two brand names, I think ?
    Wegovy is the higher dose.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,812
    16% is close to the approval rate Trump gets in the UK

https://www.statista.com/statistics/879835/british-perceptions-on-donald-trump/
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,917

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Clare Wilson
    @ClareWilsonMed
    A PR firm has just sent me a list of the "best countries to move to, to lose weight", because they have lowest national BMI, and their number one country is Ethiopia

Speaking of weight loss - I’m on Wegovy after trying Ozempic. Definitely lost some weight … but much more interestingly it has really changed my desire for booze

I reckon it’s roughly halved my intake. I still enjoy a glass - or indeed several - but then I stop. My desire is sated much quicker. Its truly odd

These things could be absolute wonder drugs as long as it doesn’t turn out they all give you brain cancer
    We're grateful for the current guinea pigs engaged in the large scale, long term trial which will help determine that.

So thanks.
    The recommended dosage regime is different, but its the same stuff.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,437
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Clare Wilson
    @ClareWilsonMed

So thanks.
    Different dosage levels (and separate FDA authorisations) for the two brand names, I think ?
    Same drug, same mode of action, expect very similar side effects. I suspect Leon has not realised its the same drug (apols if wrong).
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,465

15 May 2020
    20 May 2020
    18 June 2020
    19 June 2020
    13 November 2020
    27 November 2020
    15 December 2020
    17 December 2020
    18 December 2020
    14 January 2021
    16 April 2021

The police issued 126 Fixed Penalty Notices, so that is 126 times someone broke the law, plus there were another 24 FPNs for the Conservative Party party hosted by Shaun Bailey. There are allegations of a large number of further incidents never being looked at by the police.

Absolutely. The politicians didn't believe in the laws, or that there was such a ferocious health hazard. Not Boris, not Shaun Bailey, not Keir Starmer.

Of course there was a health hazard but not one that justified the laws by way of response that the government introduced.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Clare Wilson
    @ClareWilsonMed

So thanks.
    Same drug, same mode of action, expect very similar side effects. I suspect Leon has not realised its the same drug (apols if wrong).
    It's the same drug - but we might see adverse effects more rapidly with the higher dose ?
    Not to worry Leon, or anything.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Clare Wilson
    @ClareWilsonMed

So thanks.
    It's the same drug - but we might see adverse effects more rapidly with the higher dose ?
    Not to worry Leon, or anything.
    Its certainly a generous act of him to undertake post authorisation medical trials.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

I have said often enough - because it is true - that conflicts of interest are at the heart of most scandals. Yesterday's evidence at the Post Office Inquiry provides yet another example. Two in fact.

The investigators were given bonuses based on how much money they recovered from subpostmasters. So of course they had no incentive to find out the cause of the discrepancies and every incentive to pursue them for money. No wonder they did no proper investigations.

Added to that the Post Office had to pay money to Fujitsu to get the necessary information to find out what was happening so they had an extra incentive not to to investigate and not to disclose.

Christ knows who signed off on such an egregiously bad policy. The senior lawyers probably. I have no polite words for those responsible, whoever they are.

As yesterday’s witness, who unlike many that have been before, didn’t seem to be a complete idiot, said, Fujitsu were on a very favourable deal, being paid a penny for every single transaction done at every sub post office in the country, and then able to charge the Post Office extra whenever they needed to look at their own data.
    The data stuff gets me totally confused.

Surely there was a data dictionary supplied, and the software was running on PO hardware, to which their admins could run SQL queries either directly or from an approved report designer?

It was a bespoke piece of software, not something Fujitsu expected to sell to anyone else. Did they host it all themselves, and put a bunch of additional charges in the contract that the PO thought they’d never have to pay in practice?

The lessons in general, of public sector procurement learned here, will be significant. Did the PO actually have database-as-a-service where every query had a cost attached?
    I never got anywhere near it (thank god), but from the evidence given by multiple people at the inquiry, it seems like the PO got the routine accounting output routinely, but if they wanted to run any sort of query to extract background data from the system, someone had to ring up Fujitsu and then pay for the privilege. Which does seem bizarre - if true, that the PO people couldn’t interrogate their own system and had to jump through hoops and incur cost to dig deeper into their own data, is surely a major contributor to what happened?
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,464
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

I fear @JosiasJessop is right, and Venezuela is about to go to war on Guyana

Unless America intervenes it will be a total walkover. Guyana has an army of 5000 men. Venezuela has 200,000

Brazil is more likely to intervene directly. Venezuela is also going to be going up against China, not militarily but in most other ways. The Chinese have a very close relationship with the current Guyanese regime.
    This could be an interesting test of China and their claims of increasing their worldwide influence. Do they actually have that influence, if they can’t defend it militarily?

It's something that a lot of regimes who have got close to China will be watching very closely. When push comes to shove, what can Beijing do to protect them?

Beijing can wield absolutely colossal economic power: more than America

It is the largest trader in the world, biggest importer and exporter etc. Many countries are dependant on Beijing for their continued prosperity. Plus Beijing has massive debt leverage

Eg Brazil really relies on China for trade. Beijing could pressure Brazil to thwart Guyana

Of course this all presumes China isn’t in on this. The whole thing might be part of the Xi Putin plan to overturn the western world order. Which is working quite well so far
    I agree. We assumed that opening our markets to the Chinese* would help us influence them but forgetting that it also allows China to influence us.

*Other illiberal societies are available.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,367
    edited December 2023

Incidentally, I was only one of two swimmers when I went to the pool this morning. I chatted to the lifeguard and another staff member, and said: "Have I gone wrong and ended up in the Marie Celeste?"

Two women in their twenties had not heard of the Marie Celeste. I find that quite incredible.

I mentioned yesterday that I was now being assisted by carers. It often surprises my wife and myself, when we make reference to something which we regard as common knowledge, how often our carers look at us blankly and say that they've never heard of whatever it is.
    A friend of mine, who teaches history at university, says he has long since stopped making "fun" references to Blackadder, as most students haven't heard of it let alone ever seen an episode.

I don't find the thing about people never having heard of the Mary Celeste at all surprising. It was a fairly well known little tale when I was growing up, but these things get displaced by others over time and aren't the same across cultures. It isn't something anyone needs to know about, and doesn't have any historical significance. There are lots of similar stories where what happened exactly has never been established, and while the answer is probably mundane if unlucky, the lack of conclusive evidence invites fanciful speculation. These little tales come into favour and fall out of it again.
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,961
    TOPPING said:

15 May 2020
    20 May 2020
    18 June 2020
    19 June 2020
    13 November 2020
    27 November 2020
    15 December 2020
    17 December 2020
    18 December 2020
    14 January 2021
    16 April 2021

Absolutely. The politicians didn't believe in the laws, or that there was such a ferocious health hazard. Not Boris, not Shaun Bailey, not Keir Starmer.

Of course there was a health hazard but not one that justified the laws by way of response that the government introduced.
    Starmer believed in the law and followed the law. That's why there were no FPNs for him or his staff.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,997
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Quite interesting Ashcroft polling on the nuances of US public perceptions in supporting Israel and Ukraine, and how Trump fans differ:

https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2023/12/my-latest-us-polling-and-what-it-means-on-ukraine/

What should we make of the cancellation of Zelensky's speech to the Senate? While there are Senators who are sceptical about Ukraine funding, the main obstacle is the House, so I'm not sure why he called it off.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4343929-senate-republicans-ukraine-funding-tempers-flare-classified-briefing/
    The US / Ukraine situation is entirely based on money politically, when most of the actual aid being sent to Ukraine is simply transfers of old stockpiles of kit that was about to be scrapped anyway, with the numbers making no sense whatsoever in reality.
    Indeed.
    But without further Congressional approval, the US will have to stop sending pretty well all military aid by the end of this month.
    Oh indeed, both sides in the US are being idiots (what do you mean, the day ends in ‘Y’?). The solution, in a split Congress, comes from putting resources into sorting out the US/Mexco border, which is where the House Republicans want to see ‘the money’ spent. In practice, that means National Guard troops sent to the border, which again has almost no marginal cost.
  • Options

A friend of mine, who teaches history at university, says he has long since stopped making "fun" references to Blackadder, as most students haven't heard of it let alone ever seen an episode.

I don't find the thing about people never having heard of the Mary Celeste at all surprising. It was a fairly well known little tale when I was growing up, but these things get displaced by others over time and aren't the same across cultures. It isn't something anyone needs to know about, and doesn't have any historical significance. There are lots of similar stories where what happened exactly has never been established, and while the answer is probably mundane if unlucky, the lack of conclusive evidence invites fanciful speculation. These little tales come into favour and fall out of it again.
    Sounds about right.

Vogons dropped off the cultural radar of A Level physicists a few years ago. Now you can't do anything with "Ironic" by Alanis Morissette.

Blooming kids.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,617
    On Boris, my view is that the catalyst for his downfall began with the disgraceful Owen Paterson episode, which many seem to forget, and Partygate and Pinchergate just solidified antipathy towards him. His egregious behaviour in defence of his mate pissed off quite a number of Tory MPs as well as many discerning members of the public.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

15 May 2020
    20 May 2020
    18 June 2020
    19 June 2020
    13 November 2020
    27 November 2020
    15 December 2020
    17 December 2020
    18 December 2020
    14 January 2021
    16 April 2021

Starmer believed in the law and followed the law. That's why there were no FPNs for him or his staff.
    Others will disagree but I think there was evidence that could have resulted in a FPN for him, but Starmer's pledge to resign if one was issued was politically very astute. No way a plod would want to trigger that when there was an easy way out (no FPN).

Starmer is pretty decent at politics on the whole.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

15 May 2020
    20 May 2020
    18 June 2020
    19 June 2020
    13 November 2020
    27 November 2020
    15 December 2020
    17 December 2020
    18 December 2020
    14 January 2021
    16 April 2021

Oh he believed in the laws of course he did. He is a lawyer. But he manifestly did not believe in the rationale behind the laws otherwise he simply wouldn't have gathered as he did with his co-workers.

You wouldn't need a law saying it was illegal to jump off the white cliffs of Dover, would you.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,896

It's a sign of age when you realise your amusing sitcom references might not actually mean anything to people you're talking to. It's only recently I've clocked this. Some of the media outlets are the worst at this. Not just Blackadder quotes, but other common ones are "I don't believe it" from OFITG (or indeed references to Victor Meldrew), dead parrot sketch or four candles references, Les Dawson accents when talking about "my mother in law", "to me, to you, to me, to you", "that's you that is", "oh no, what a personal disaster", "Don't tell 'im, Pike", "Don't panic Mr Mannering" and "they don't like it up-em sir".
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Clare Wilson
    @ClareWilsonMed

So thanks.
    The most common side effects of Wegovy® may include nausea, diarrhoea, vomiting, constipation, stomach (abdomen) pain, headache, tiredness (fatigue), upset stomach, dizziness, feeling bloated, belching, gas, stomach flu, heartburn, runny nose or sore throat. Wegovy® may cause serious side effects, including possible thyroid tumors, including cancer. Wegovy® may cause serious side effects, including inflammation of your pancreas (pancreatitis), gallbladder problems, increased risk of low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) in patients with type 2 diabetes, kidney problems (kidney failure), serious allergic reactions, change in vision, increased heart rate, and depression or thoughts of suicide.

What for? Just to lose weight? Just eat and drink less.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,682

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Clare Wilson
    @ClareWilsonMed

So thanks.
    Sure. I just got given a different brand
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,456

Leon said:

It’s just got a lovely buzzy welcoming vibe

It looks like an upmarket execution chamber.

Not to worry, @Leon can check out any time he likes...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

I have said often enough - because it is true - that conflicts of interest are at the heart of most scandals. Yesterday's evidence at the Post Office Inquiry provides yet another example. Two in fact.

The investigators were given bonuses based on how much money they recovered from subpostmasters. So of course they had no incentive to find out the cause of the discrepancies and every incentive to pursue them for money. No wonder they did no proper investigations.

Added to that the Post Office had to pay money to Fujitsu to get the necessary information to find out what was happening so they had an extra incentive not to to investigate and not to disclose.

Christ knows who signed off on such an egregiously bad policy. The senior lawyers probably. I have no polite words for those responsible, whoever they are.

As yesterday’s witness, who unlike many that have been before, didn’t seem to be a complete idiot, said, Fujitsu were on a very favourable deal, being paid a penny for every single transaction done at every sub post office in the country, and then able to charge the Post Office extra whenever they needed to look at their own data.
    The data stuff gets me totally confused.

Surely there was a data dictionary supplied, and the software was running on PO hardware, to which their admins could run SQL queries either directly or from an approved report designer?

It was a bespoke piece of software, not something Fujitsu expected to sell to anyone else. Did they host it all themselves, and put a bunch of additional charges in the contract that the PO thought they’d never have to pay in practice?

The lessons in general, of public sector procurement learned here, will be significant. Did the PO actually have database-as-a-service where every query had a cost attached?
    I never got anywhere near it (thank god), but from the evidence given by multiple people at the inquiry, it seems like the PO got the routine accounting output routinely, but if they wanted to run any sort of query to extract background data from the system, someone had to ring up Fujitsu and then pay for the privilege. Which does seem bizarre - if true, that the PO people couldn’t interrogate their own system and had to jump through hoops and incur cost to dig deeper into their own data, is surely a major contributor to what happened?
    Absolutely. Given the context, this should actually be a key point of the inquiry, that the PO were worried about the costs they’d incur to properly investigate discrepancies in data.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Clare Wilson
    @ClareWilsonMed

So thanks.
    Sure. I just got given a different brand

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Clare Wilson
    @ClareWilsonMed

So thanks.
    You’re wrong
  • Options
    edited December 2023

On Boris, my view is that the catalyst for his downfall began with the disgraceful Owen Paterson episode, which many seem to forget, and Partygate and Pinchergate just solidified antipathy towards him. His egregious behaviour in defence of his mate pissed off quite a number of Tory MPs as well as many discerning members of the public.

That, and the disastrous Peppa pig speech around the same time - which may have been the ‘scales fall from eyes’ moment for many, when his loveable rogue turned into bumbling incompetent - were when the Vi and leadership rating polls turned south.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,542
    TOPPING said:

15 May 2020
    20 May 2020
    18 June 2020
    19 June 2020
    13 November 2020
    27 November 2020
    15 December 2020
    17 December 2020
    18 December 2020
    14 January 2021
    16 April 2021

Yes, the problem wasn't that ministers and government officials were behaving inappropriately. The problem was the laws/guidelines/terror campaigns they were imposing on the rest of us. The impacts of these will go on for decades.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Clare Wilson
    @ClareWilsonMed

So thanks.
    The most common side effects of Wegovy® may include nausea, diarrhoea, vomiting, constipation, stomach (abdomen) pain, headache, tiredness (fatigue), upset stomach, dizziness, feeling bloated, belching, gas, stomach flu, heartburn, runny nose or sore throat. Wegovy® may cause serious side effects, including possible thyroid tumors, including cancer. Wegovy® may cause serious side effects, including inflammation of your pancreas (pancreatitis), gallbladder problems, increased risk of low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) in patients with type 2 diabetes, kidney problems (kidney failure), serious allergic reactions, change in vision, increased heart rate, and depression or thoughts of suicide.

I am a self confessed alcoholic. A highly functional alcoholic but still, an alcoholic

I joke about it, and I don’t particularly stress about it (because I function, and I enjoy booze) - nonetheless I am aware it is probably sub optimal for my health etc

This stuff halves my booze intake without my even trying. Not something I can normally do without a grave effort and intense boredom - followed by relapse

Indeed despite its expense wegovy probably pays for itself as I normally drink so much pricey red wine

I’ve noticed it here in Bangkok. I’ll have half a bottle of red with contentment… but then I just stop. Drink the rest the next day. That’s absolutely not normal for me
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Clare Wilson
    @ClareWilsonMed

So thanks.

You should try reading the list of side effects on a packet of aspirin.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    And I am not imagining this

“Ozempic seems to curb cravings for alcohol. Here's what scientists think is going on”

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2023/08/28/1194526119/ozempic-wegovy-drinking-alcohol-cravings-semaglutide

If this drug cures obesity and tackles alcoholism (and other addictions?!) it will be one of the most amazing discoveries in the history of pharmacology

“With the drug's surge in popularity, doctors and patients have begun to notice a striking side effect of these drugs: They appear to reduce people's cravings for alcohol, nicotine and opioids. They may also reduce some types of compulsive behaviors, such as gambling and online shopping.”
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,056
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

15 May 2020
    20 May 2020
    18 June 2020
    19 June 2020
    13 November 2020
    27 November 2020
    15 December 2020
    17 December 2020
    18 December 2020
    14 January 2021
    16 April 2021

Oh he believed in the laws of course he did. He is a lawyer. But he manifestly did not believe in the rationale behind the laws otherwise he simply wouldn't have gathered as he did with his co-workers.

You wouldn't need a law saying it was illegal to jump off the white cliffs of Dover, would you.
    Er, there was such a law for many centuries, in E&W (not sure about Scotland, de facto practice certainly differed there, at any rate). Only repealed in recent decades, partly because of the deleterious effect on the family and their finances.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,429
    IanB2 said:

That, and the disastrous Peppa pig speech around the same time - which may have been the ‘scales fall from eyes’ moment for many, when his loveable rogue turned into bumbling incompetent - were when the Vi and leadership rating polls turned south.
    The Peppa thing was big because what that did was reveal his contempt for everyone. Even people not previously ill disposed to him started to think, "hang on, this bloke is just taking the piss".
  • Options

Sounds about right.

Vogons dropped off the cultural radar of A Level physicists a few years ago. Now you can't do anything with "Ironic" by Alanis Morissette.

Blooming kids.
    Do you find you have to read manga to keep up?
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

For reasons with which I won't bore anyone, I've been a big user of the NHS over the past couple of days.

My experience of both GP and Hospital services - very good, the staff remain the biggest asset in the face of a huge workload and once you're in "the system" and begin to figure out how it works, it does work. There's a lot of waiting - the word patient is hugely apposite - but you get to the top of the queue in time.

How the various A&E departments function is a mystery - what they are like on a Saturday evening is beyond my imagination. It seems people rock up with everything and nothing and the triaging aspect looks key. One of the doctors told me a large proportion of people didn't need to be there. There's a huge requirement for public health education and regrettably this was one of the areas cut by Osborne and the coalition.

75 years on and no one is saying the NHS is perfect, far from it. The alternative, as in many countries, where you pay for even the most basic medical service, isn't something with which I'm comfortable. Unfortunately, as long as we continue to aspire to European levels of public services on American levels of taxation, we're going to struggle.

The Norwegian health service seemed outstanding, from my contacts with it last summer. Their hospitals have walk-in ‘first aid’ centres, which work like A&Es but don’t, I think, deal with the serious stuff. In two different towns I went in, got triaged, saw a doctor, was examined and had some routine blood test and got the result, both times back on the street with a prescription within an hour. And with an EHIC it cost about £18 a time. Each of the centres had more staff than patients.

How they deal with more serious stuff, I don’t know, but those first aid centres reminded me of the Leave Campaign video that showed us what the post-Brexit NHS would be like.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

15 May 2020
    20 May 2020
    18 June 2020
    19 June 2020
    13 November 2020
    27 November 2020
    15 December 2020
    17 December 2020
    18 December 2020
    14 January 2021
    16 April 2021

Er, there was such a law for many centuries, in E&W (not sure about Scotland, de facto practice certainly differed there, at any rate). Only repealed in recent decades, partly because of the deleterious effect on the family and their finances.
    Yes we laugh about it don't we. But it is absurd. Isn't it an offence to commit suicide or somesuch.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Clare Wilson
    @ClareWilsonMed

So thanks.

You should try reading the list of side effects on a packet of aspirin.
    Hopefully it doesn’t include headaches.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,706
    edited December 2023

That is a shame, not least because my sister-in-law gets a top up to her pension from the royalties on the repeats of a certain episode of Blackadder.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Indeed.
    Oh indeed, both sides in the US are being idiots (what do you mean, the day ends in ‘Y’?). The solution, in a split Congress, comes from putting resources into sorting out the US/Mexco border, which is where the House Republicans want to see ‘the money’ spent. In practice, that means National Guard troops sent to the border, which again has almost no marginal cost.
    I don't think it's as simple as that.
    The Republicans are refusing a straight vote on aid for Ukraine, and insisting on a Senate vote for the House border bill, which involves rather more than sending National Guards to the border.

In their own words, if the administration does not adopt Republican policy wholesale, they will veto Ukraine aid.
    CORNYN: “There’s a misunderstanding on the part of Sen. Schumer and some of our Democratic friends. This is not a traditional negotiation, where we expect to come up with a bipartisan compromise on the border. This is a price that has to be paid in order to get the supplemental.”
    https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1731785802156220744

Note also that this is the party, which when it controlled both Houses of Congress, and the Presidency, from 2017 to 2019, did nothing about it.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,092
    Afternoon all.
  • Options
    Leon said:

“Ozempic seems to curb cravings for alcohol. Here's what scientists think is going on”

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2023/08/28/1194526119/ozempic-wegovy-drinking-alcohol-cravings-semaglutide

If this drug cures obesity and tackles alcoholism (and other addictions?!) it will be one of the most amazing discoveries in the history of pharmacology

“With the drug's surge in popularity, doctors and patients have begun to notice a striking side effect of these drugs: They appear to reduce people's cravings for alcohol, nicotine and opioids. They may also reduce some types of compulsive behaviors, such as gambling and online shopping.”

We don't have much evidence on the long term use of semaglutide. I have a colleague who is on it for diabetes and he is less convinced by it. The changes to his enjoyment of life are not worth the benefits.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

15 May 2020
    20 May 2020
    18 June 2020
    19 June 2020
    13 November 2020
    27 November 2020
    15 December 2020
    17 December 2020
    18 December 2020
    14 January 2021
    16 April 2021

Yes we laugh about it don't we. But it is absurd. Isn't it an offence to commit suicide or somesuch.
    Sorry for not being clear: My fault. I meant the more general offence of suicide, in all seriousness.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I've been wondering about this too. I am thin but drink too much. Not in binges, just chronically, like a typical Frenchman of 50 years ago. Do you need a prescription? I assume so.

Maybe government should pump some into the water supply, like flouride (yes I appreciate you're supposed to inject it but I'm sure Novo Nordisk are working on something orally administered). It could be the solution to our chronic health and social care problem. And football hooliganism image problem. But bodybuilders, wrestlers and rugby forwards would need to stick to mineral water.
  • Options

Leon said:

We don't have much evidence on the long term use of semaglutide. I have a colleague who is on it for diabetes and he is less convinced by it. The changes to his enjoyment of life are not worth the benefits.
    What has he lost? I still enjoy food just as much - but I eat less. And I still enjoy booze almost as much

I think it has probably diminished (but not flattened) my libido. But that’s probably a good thing at my distinguished age
  • Options
    Leon said:

Next: amazing cure for addiction to conspiracy theories
  • Options
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Clare Wilson
    @ClareWilsonMed

So thanks.

I am a self confessed alcoholic. A highly functional alcoholic but still, an alcoholic

I joke about it, and I don’t particularly stress about it (because I function, and I enjoy booze) - nonetheless I am aware it is probably sub optimal for my health etc

This stuff halves my booze intake without my even trying. Not something I can normally do without a grave effort and intense boredom - followed by relapse

Indeed despite its expense wegovy probably pays for itself as I normally drink so much pricey red wine

I’ve noticed it here in Bangkok. I’ll have half a bottle of red with contentment… but then I just stop. Drink the rest the next day. That’s absolutely not normal for me
    Which dosage were/are you on ?

Ozempic
    https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2022/209637s012lbl.pdf
    DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙
    Start at 0.25 mg once weekly. After 4 weeks, increase the dose to 0.5 mg once weekly.
    If additional glycemic control is needed, increase the dose to 1 mg once weekly after at least 4 weeks on the 0.5 mg dose (2.1).
    If additional glycemic control is needed, increase the dose to 2 mg
    once weekly after at least 4 weeks on the 1 mg dose (2.1)
    Administer once weekly at any time of day, with or without meals
    (2.1).
    If a dose is missed administer within 5 days of missed dose (2.1).
    Inject subcutaneously in the abdomen, thigh, or upper arm (2.2).

DOSAGE FORMS AND STRENGTHS∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙
    Injection: 2 mg/3 mL (0.68 mg/mL) available in:
    Single-patient-use pen that delivers 0.25 mg or 0.5 mg per injection (3) Injection: 2 mg/1.5 mL (1.34 mg/mL)
    available in:
    Single-patient-use pen that delivers 0.25 mg or 0.5 mg per injection (3). Injection: 4 mg/3 mL (1.34 mg/mL)
    available in:
    Single-patient-use pen that delivers 1 mg per injection (3).
    Injection: 8 mg/3 mL (2.68 mg/mL) available in:
    Single-patient-use pen that delivers 2 mg per injection (3)

Wegovy
    https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2022/215256s005lbl.pdf
    Administer WEGOVY once weekly, on the same day each week, at any time of day, with or without meals (2.2).
    Inject subcutaneously in the abdomen, thigh or upper arm (2.2).
    In patients with type 2 diabetes, monitor blood glucose prior to starting and during WEGOVY treatment (2.2).
    Initiate at 0.25 mg once weekly for 4 weeks. In 4 week intervals, increase the dose until a dose of 2.4 mg is reached (2.3).
    The maintenance dose of WEGOVY is 2.4 mg once weekly (2.3).

DOSAGE FORMS AND STRENGTHS ∙∙∙∙∙∙∙∙
    Injection: pre-filled, single-dose pen that delivers doses of 0.25 mg, 0.5 mg, 1 mg, 1.7 mg or 2.4 mg (3).
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

stodge said:

For reasons with which I won't bore anyone, I've been a big user of the NHS over the past couple of days.

My experience of both GP and Hospital services - very good, the staff remain the biggest asset in the face of a huge workload and once you're in "the system" and begin to figure out how it works, it does work. There's a lot of waiting - the word patient is hugely apposite - but you get to the top of the queue in time.

How the various A&E departments function is a mystery - what they are like on a Saturday evening is beyond my imagination. It seems people rock up with everything and nothing and the triaging aspect looks key. One of the doctors told me a large proportion of people didn't need to be there. There's a huge requirement for public health education and regrettably this was one of the areas cut by Osborne and the coalition.

75 years on and no one is saying the NHS is perfect, far from it. The alternative, as in many countries, where you pay for even the most basic medical service, isn't something with which I'm comfortable. Unfortunately, as long as we continue to aspire to European levels of public services on American levels of taxation, we're going to struggle.

The Norwegian health service seemed outstanding, from my contacts with it last summer. Their hospitals have walk-in ‘first aid’ centres, which work like A&Es but don’t, I think, deal with the serious stuff. In two different towns I went in, got triaged, saw a doctor, was examined and had some routine blood test and got the result, both times back on the street with a prescription within an hour. And with an EHIC it cost about £18 a time. Each of the centres had more staff than patients.

How they deal with more serious stuff, I don’t know, but those first aid centres reminded me of the Leave Campaign video that showed us what the post-Brexit NHS would be like.
    Labour's Wes Streeting has been looking at similar arrangements in Australia, although aiui some hospitals already have similar not-quite A&E departments here.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

I've been wondering about this too. I am thin but drink too much. Not in binges, just chronically, like a typical Frenchman of 50 years ago. Do you need a prescription? I assume so.

Maybe government should pump some into the water supply, like flouride (yes I appreciate you're supposed to inject it but I'm sure Novo Nordisk are working on something orally administered). It could be the solution to our chronic health and social care problem. And football hooliganism image problem. But bodybuilders, wrestlers and rugby forwards would need to stick to mineral water.
    As a oligo-peptide I think oral administration is always going to be challenging (our GI tract is pretty good at digesting peptides - think protein in the diet).
  • Options

Leon said:

As with all drugs, it's a case of weighing the benefits against the disbenefits.
    The use case for Leon seems to be quite a strong one, TBF.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,065
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Indeed.
    There would definitely be a deal there on the border nonsense if Biden wanted one. This way he, or rather the handlers who open his Werther's Orginals for him, can force Ukraine to negotiate an end to this phase of the SMO so it's not an election issue and they can blame the Republicans.

Otherwise the voters are going to wonder if this is the best possible use of $30bn cash and $40bn in military hardware.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

Carnyx said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

15 May 2020
    20 May 2020
    18 June 2020
    19 June 2020
    13 November 2020
    27 November 2020
    15 December 2020
    17 December 2020
    18 December 2020
    14 January 2021
    16 April 2021

Sorry for not being clear: My fault. I meant the more general offence of suicide, in all seriousness.
    Ah I see. Yes I thought so. Ridiculous really.
  • Options
    Claims traders profited from attack inaccurate, says Israel
    TASE said the authors of the report had miscalculated the sums, showing the value of the share prices in agorot, similar to pennies, instead of Israeli shekels.

"Therefore they calculate a profit of NIS 3.2bn (£680m) when in practice the profit was only NIS 32m (£6.8m)," TASE's head of trade Yaniv Pagot told the publication Globes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-67628380

Oops if true.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Clare Wilson
    @ClareWilsonMed

So thanks.

Ozempic
    Start at 0.25 mg once weekly. After 4 weeks, increase the dose to 0.5 mg once weekly.
    If additional glycemic control is needed, increase the dose to 1 mg once weekly after at least 4 weeks on the 0.5 mg dose (2.1).
    (2.1).

Single-patient-use pen that delivers 0.25 mg or 0.5 mg per injection (3) Injection: 2 mg/1.5 mL (1.34 mg/mL)
    available in:
    Single-patient-use pen that delivers 0.25 mg or 0.5 mg per injection (3). Injection: 4 mg/3 mL (1.34 mg/mL)
    available in:

Wegovy
    Administer WEGOVY once weekly, on the same day each week, at any time of day, with or without meals (2.2).
    In patients with type 2 diabetes, monitor blood glucose prior to starting and during WEGOVY treatment (2.2).
    Initiate at 0.25 mg once weekly for 4 weeks. In 4 week intervals, increase the dose until a dose of 2.4 mg is reached (2.3).

Injection: pre-filled, single-dose pen that delivers doses of 0.25 mg, 0.5 mg, 1 mg, 1.7 mg or 2.4 mg (3).
    What TF is this post designed to tell us.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

What has he lost? I still enjoy food just as much - but I eat less. And I still enjoy booze almost as much

I think it has probably diminished (but not flattened) my libido. But that’s probably a good thing at my distinguished age
    He can no longer drink alcohol (no more than a pint), his sleep is affected (large waking spells at night).

But its all good news as all the fatties are stealing the semaglutide supply so he will run out shortly...
  • Options

TOPPING said:

15 May 2020
    20 May 2020
    18 June 2020
    19 June 2020
    13 November 2020
    27 November 2020
    15 December 2020
    17 December 2020
    18 December 2020
    14 January 2021
    16 April 2021

Others will disagree but I think there was evidence that could have resulted in a FPN for him, but Starmer's pledge to resign if one was issued was politically very astute. No way a plod would want to trigger that when there was an easy way out (no FPN).

Starmer is pretty decent at politics on the whole.
    Yes, he put immense pressure onto Plod with that statement, and they knew that any charge would have to stick right up to the Supreme Court, even though it was the equivalent of a parking ticket.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

As with all drugs, it's a case of weighing the benefits against the disbenefits.
    He might not say this if a years usage increased the risk of liver cancer by a significant amount. (As an example)
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Sounds about right.

Blooming kids.
    TikTok, probably.
    I can't be bothered - but like DuraAce, I have a slightly more detailed knowledge of K-pop than most my age.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Indeed.
    There would definitely be a deal there on the border nonsense if Biden wanted one. This way he, or rather the handlers who open his Werther's Orginals for him, can force Ukraine to negotiate an end to this phase of the SMO so it's not an election issue and they can blame the Republicans.

Otherwise the voters are going to wonder if this is the best possible use of $30bn cash and $40bn in military hardware.
    That's a load of balls, IMO.
  • Options
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Clare Wilson
    @ClareWilsonMed

So thanks.

I remember you describing the benefits as wanting fewer puddings. Which didn't immediately strike me as a benefit, because I love puddings. I don't want not to want them.

It reminds me of the old broccoli joke: “I don’t like broccoli – and I’m glad I don’t like it – because if I liked it, I’d eat it – and I hate the stuff.”

Mind you, I would like not to feel hungry all the time. And I could certainly do to lose a few stone.

OTOH, by the age of 48, I already have that relationship with alcohol. I love a beer, I enjoy cider, wine, whisky ... but I can't remember the last time I was drunk. I blame kids - the threat of a hangover with young children brought a hidden self-regulating mechanism which I didn't know I possessed and now can't override. One drink is usually fine nowadays; more than three almost unheard of. The me of my late teens wouldn't recognise me now.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,826
    TimS said:

It's a sign of age when you realise your amusing sitcom references might not actually mean anything to people you're talking to. It's only recently I've clocked this. Some of the media outlets are the worst at this. Not just Blackadder quotes, but other common ones are "I don't believe it" from OFITG (or indeed references to Victor Meldrew), dead parrot sketch or four candles references, Les Dawson accents when talking about "my mother in law", "to me, to you, to me, to you", "that's you that is", "oh no, what a personal disaster", "Don't tell 'im, Pike", "Don't panic Mr Mannering" and "they don't like it up-em sir".
    Well ... Frasier is coming back.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frasier_(2023_TV_series)

Not that I ever found him amusing - but my BBC employed landlord at the time did.

Including Nicholas Lyndhurst as co-star.

Has anybody watched the reboot?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I never realised that Leon’s BMI is up there with his IQ
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

He might not say this if a years usage increased the risk of liver cancer by a significant amount. (As an example)
    Well indeed - but on the other hand, there's a not insignificant cancer risk for someone of his prior alcohol intake. Along with several other nasties.

Eating and drinking less, and exercising more under your own steam is clearly to be preferred, but for an awful lot of people, that's not very realistic.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Clare Wilson
    @ClareWilsonMed

So thanks.

Ozempic
    (2.1).

available in:
    available in:

Wegovy

What the FDA approved dosages are for the drug.
    There was some argument over the difference between the brand names.

I was just curious about how much of this shit Leon is pumping into himself.
  • Options
    MattW said:

TimS said:

Not that I ever found him amusing - but my BBC employed landlord at the time did.

It’s the subject of a boycott in the States, as a new generation of ‘viewers’ have found out that Kelsey Grammer is a Republican. https://edition.cnn.com/2023/12/05/entertainment/kelsey-grammer-interview-donald-trump-scli-intl/index.html
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,523

IanB2 said:

stodge said:

Labour's Wes Streeting has been looking at similar arrangements in Australia, although aiui some hospitals already have similar not-quite A&E departments here.
    'Minor injuries units' - at least, that's what they're called here. Our local hospital, which acts as a satellite for York and only does day-case, scans and recuperation has one. Absolute dream, you can bet on being seen within half an hour or less, typically.

My son suffered from pulled elbow repeatedly between about 13 months and 4.5 years. We had, I think, five trips to the unit during that time, always seen within 30 minutes and normally out within 40 - the one exception being where there was a chance of a fracture (he'd fallen off a swing shortly before the injury became apparent) and we got sent up to York A&E for the x-ray to rule that out as it out of hours for the x-ray facility at the local hospital.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Sounds about right.

Blooming kids.
    TikTok, probably.
    I can't be bothered - but like DuraAce, I have a slightly more detailed knowledge of K-pop than most my age.
    Some BlackPink news today. They're not splitting up. That's how big they are. Imagine the coverage if they were splitting up.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

If you hate injections don’t worry. You can’t even feel them. A tiny needle which is 3mm long, it’s like touching a spike on a holly leaf. Literally
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,109
    MattW said:

TimS said:

I've seen clips on YouTube. Surprisingly good, although it does have a tint of "here's a memberberry you'll recognise" - Lilith was in it for an episode. The premise is rock-solid - Frasier is a pretentious twat, does a thing, it goes wrong, there's a happy ending - and they haven't messed with the basics, just put him in a new setting. Rodney is also surprisingly good and carries off the witty banter quite well. I miss Niles and Daphne, but they aren't essential.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Sounds about right.

Blooming kids.
    TikTok, probably.
    Some BlackPink news today. They're not splitting up. That's how big they are. Imagine the coverage if they were splitting up.
    'They' being V and Jennie ?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,184
    viewcode said:

MattW said:

TimS said:

I've seen clips on YouTube. Surprisingly good, although it does have a tint of "here's a memberberry you'll recognise" - Lilith was in it for an episode. The premise is rock-solid - Frasier is a pretentious twat, does a thing, it goes wrong, there's a happy ending - and they haven't messed with the basics, just put him in a new setting. Rodney is also surprisingly good and carries off the witty banter quite well. I miss Niles and Daphne, but they aren't essential.
    I tried watching the actual show, and it was painfully unfunny. Kelsey Grammar's comic timing remains impeccable, but the writing is insipid and the characters dull.

Avoid.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’m not fat, I AM an alky

If all this drug did was reduce my food intake I’d stop tomorrow, I have lost the weight and I can keep it off. But the reduction in my boozing… hmm….
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

If you hate injections don’t worry. You can’t even feel them. A tiny needle which is 3mm long, it’s like touching a spike on a holly leaf. Literally
    I’m fine with injections. Just thinking about mass government-mandated treatment of our water supply to breed a buff, slim and non addicted nation.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

I’m fine with injections. Just thinking about mass government-mandated treatment of our water supply to breed a buff, slim and non addicted nation.
    If these drugs verify without awful side effects, they will become universal, worldwide

Obesity is such a global problem; this can essentially solve it
  • Options
    China’s Xi goes full Stalin with purge
    In a sign of instability in Beijing’s top ranks, foreign policy and defense officials are vanishing as Xi roots out perceived enemies.
    https://www.politico.eu/article/chinas-paranoid-purge-xi-jinping-li-keqiang-qin-gang-li-shangfu/
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

He can no longer drink alcohol (no more than a pint), his sleep is affected (large waking spells at night).

But its all good news as all the fatties are stealing the semaglutide supply so he will run out shortly...
    You say this blithely -

“He can no longer drink alcohol (no more than a pint)”

But imagine what that means to an actual alcoholic?
  • Options
    Interesting article.
    I didn't realise that the current uncertainty over Taiwan is very much of his making, five decades ago.

The Six Myths Kissinger Created About Himself — That Everyone Fell For
    https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2023/12/06/henry-kissinger-obituary-myths-00130266
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,164
    Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

I’m not fat, I AM an alky

If all this drug did was reduce my food intake I’d stop tomorrow, I have lost the weight and I can keep it off. But the reduction in my boozing… hmm….
    I did dry a November, with no alcohol. I've done dry months before, but this is the first one where there were a couple of days, about twenty days in, where I felt utterly miserable and really craved a drink.

I wonder if it as the time of year; I always find November/December to be the most depressing months, events aside.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

MattW said:

TimS said:

I tried watching the actual show, and it was painfully unfunny. Kelsey Grammar's comic timing remains impeccable, but the writing is insipid and the characters dull.

Avoid.
    Which brings us back to the thread header, my absolute favourite moment of Kelsey Grammer is as Sideshow Bob from the Simpsons:
    "You want the truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth-handler you! Bah! I deride your truth-handling abilities!"
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,164
    kjh said:

That is a shame, not least because my sister-in-law gets a top up to her pension from the royalties on the repeats of a certain episode of Blackadder.
    May I ask which one? As well as introducing my son to Die Hard, we've started Blackadder with Season 2, and now 3. (Yes, we missed out the first series for now). Some of the jokes are a little over his head, but he finds much of it hilarious.

And occasionally: "Oh, that's why you say that, dad!" (e.g. Sod Off Baldrick...)
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,978
    Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

MattW said:

TimS said:

Avoid.
    Which brings us back to the thread header, my absolute favourite moment of Kelsey Grammer is as Sideshow Bob from the Simpsons:
    "You want the truth? You can't handle the truth! No truth-handler you! Bah! I deride your truth-handling abilities!"
    Ever since Kelsey Grammer's appearance on Star Trek TNG, I've dreamed of a Frasier/Star Trek crossover episode where Frasier replaces Deanna Troi on an important diplomatic mission, with hilarious consequences.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Kelsey_Grammer?file=Morgan_Bateson.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

If these drugs verify without awful side effects, they will become universal, worldwide

Sone interesting economic implications too. There's already evidence in Walmart's results of an Ozempic effect, particularly in the Southern states. If similar drugs were to proliferate around the world it would materially reduce demand for food products, particularly cereals and meats. Good news for food importers and global inflation (and carbon emissions), bad news for meat and cereal exporters: Brazil, Australia, India, New Zealand, Canada, Poland, Ukraine, and of course the USA itself.
  • Options
    I’m experiencing Wegovy-ism right now

I haven’t eaten all day. I should be starving. Instead I’m milldly peckish

I’ve got a nice takeaway curry from the reliable restaurant next door, I’ve had two G&Ts and one glass of red

At this point normally I’d be wolfing down the rest of the food and demolishing the wine. Instead I feel sated 2/3 of the way into the curry and I am wondering if I will have more than two glasses of wine, as I am a tiny bit squiffy and that’s enough. At the same time I an not prowling the stews hunting for girls in hot pants

Everything is calmed. Maybe this drug just makes you old and/or boring. If it saves my liver I can cope with that, I can be old n boring. For a bit
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Clare Wilson
    @ClareWilsonMed

So thanks.

I remember you describing the benefits as wanting fewer puddings. Which didn't immediately strike me as a benefit, because I love puddings. I don't want not to want them.

It reminds me of the old broccoli joke: “I don’t like broccoli – and I’m glad I don’t like it – because if I liked it, I’d eat it – and I hate the stuff.”

Mind you, I would like not to feel hungry all the time. And I could certainly do to lose a few stone.

OTOH, by the age of 48, I already have that relationship with alcohol. I love a beer, I enjoy cider, wine, whisky ... but I can't remember the last time I was drunk. I blame kids - the threat of a hangover with young children brought a hidden self-regulating mechanism which I didn't know I possessed and now can't override. One drink is usually fine nowadays; more than three almost unheard of. The me of my late teens wouldn't recognise me now.
    My alcoholism was 'cured' by age and a 2nd marriage. Age because I could no longer function or recover as before. The 2nd marriage because an end to stupid level drinking was a condition of it. The main legacy of all that nonsense (apart from whatever internal damage there is) is I still hate to have just 1 drink. I don't want more than 3 these days but I do want that 3 (or 4 at a push) if I start. I won't have a drink at all if I know I can't have another couple. My other little quirk on this is I don't like to mix drinking and eating. I much prefer booze on an empty stomach.
  • Options
    TimS said:

My 12 year old niece was taking the mickey out of me the other day for the ever increasing grey hair I’m developing. I replied that I think it makes me look like George Clooney. Cue a blank look.
  • Options
    MattW said:

TimS said:

Watched a couple of eps. Suffered from trying to set up the new series all too quickly, and not a great start. Have not watched past ep 2 yet.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

MattW said:

TimS said:

Avoid.
    Kelsey Grammer also has a great singing voice. Here is Sideshow Bob singing HMS Pinafore:-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGwlQXv1o6o
  • Options
    TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Sone interesting economic implications too. There's already evidence in Walmart's results of an Ozempic effect, particularly in the Southern states. If similar drugs were to proliferate around the world it would materially reduce demand for food products, particularly cereals and meats. Good news for food importers and global inflation (and carbon emissions), bad news for meat and cereal exporters: Brazil, Australia, India, New Zealand, Canada, Poland, Ukraine, and of course the USA itself.
    The benefit to the USA of curing obesity will far far outweigh any downside to its food exporters. Ditto the UK, for that matter. We too are a bunch of fatties

I have some relatives on the drug. It works for most but one relative-in-law - who has an absolutely pathological problem with portion control and obesity (stemming from deep sad childhood issues) has not benefited at all. So it won’t cure everyone but it will greatly assist 90%?

A huge win for humanity, if so
  • Options
    Leon said:

I’ve got a nice takeaway curry from the reliable restaurant next door, I’ve had two G&Ts and one glass of red

At this point normally I’d be wolfing down the rest of the food and demolishing the wine. Instead I feel sated 2/3 of the way into the curry and I am wondering if I will have more than two glasses of wine, as I am a tiny bit squiffy and that’s enough. At the same time I an not prowling the stews hunting for girls in hot pants

Everything is calmed. Maybe this drug just makes you old and/or boring. If it saves my liver I can cope with that, I can be old n boring. For a bit

What I'd say to you - heartfelt - is don't worry so much that you'll be boring unless you're getting pissed. You're an engaging person, well read and travelled, plenty to say about lots of things. You don't need to drink to excess, or at all, in order to make an impression.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

What I'd say to you - heartfelt - is don't worry so much that you'll be boring unless you're getting pissed. You're an engaging person, well read and travelled, plenty to say about lots of things. You don't need to drink to excess, or at all, in order to make an impression.
    I shall break my vow of not talking to you and say Thanks. Appreciated
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

Sounds about right.

Blooming kids.
    TikTok, probably.
    'They' being V and Jennie ?
    You're the real deal and you've busted me. :smile:
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 844
    Wow Braverman. I had to pinch myself to remind me this was London 2023 and not Berlin 1933. Quite a dangerous woman.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Wahay! Thank the Lord. You can't go all 'mean girls' on here. This is PB.com.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Wahay! Thank the Lord. You can't go all 'mean girls' on here. This is PB.com.
    The vow was a joke. But then you took it seriously. So I couldn’t resist pretending it was real. Which is quite wanky of me, so at least Wegovy hasn’t destroyed my pleasure in petty and juvenile twattishness
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Clare Wilson
    @ClareWilsonMed

So thanks.

Ozempic
    (2.1).

available in:
    available in:

Wegovy

What the FDA approved dosages are for the drug.
    There was some argument over the difference between the brand names.

I was just curious about how much of this shit Leon is pumping into himself.
    How much difference can it make, when he’s so full of it already? ;)
  • Options
    Selebian said:

IanB2 said:

stodge said:

'Minor injuries units' - at least, that's what they're called here. Our local hospital, which acts as a satellite for York and only does day-case, scans and recuperation has one. Absolute dream, you can bet on being seen within half an hour or less, typically.

My son suffered from pulled elbow repeatedly between about 13 months and 4.5 years. We had, I think, five trips to the unit during that time, always seen within 30 minutes and normally out within 40 - the one exception being where there was a chance of a fracture (he'd fallen off a swing shortly before the injury became apparent) and we got sent up to York A&E for the x-ray to rule that out as it out of hours for the x-ray facility at the local hospital.
    When our kids were younger (and A&E trips were fairly frequent), we used to get seen quite quickly. This was in part at least because both our children are adopted, and hence are marked as 'At Risk' on the hospital information. Note that the 'At Risk' comes with them having been in care, not because of us! I got very used to the moment when a receptionist or nurse would be working through the initial process, and they'd see the notification on the screen, and their head would slowly turn towards me so they could give me a good looking over.
  • Options
    Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

The benefit to the USA of curing obesity will far far outweigh any downside to its food exporters. Ditto the UK, for that matter. We too are a bunch of fatties

I have some relatives on the drug. It works for most but one relative-in-law - who has an absolutely pathological problem with portion control and obesity (stemming from deep sad childhood issues) has not benefited at all. So it won’t cure everyone but it will greatly assist 90%?

A huge win for humanity, if so
    The extent to which ordinary Americans rely on fast food MacDs, KFCs, Taco Bells and the rest for their regular weekday dining often amazes. It isn’t the occasional treat/dirty secret/indulgence that it mostly is in the UK. A drug that makes them consume less of it is only going to improve things so far…
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Clare Wilson
    @ClareWilsonMed

So thanks.

My alcoholism was 'cured' by age and a 2nd marriage. Age because I could no longer function or recover as before. The 2nd marriage because an end to stupid level drinking was a condition of it. The main legacy of all that nonsense (apart from whatever internal damage there is) is I still hate to have just 1 drink. I don't want more than 3 these days but I do want that 3 (or 4 at a push) if I start. I won't have a drink at all if I know I can't have another couple. My other little quirk on this is I don't like to mix drinking and eating. I much prefer booze on an empty stomach.
    All day drinking sessions with all the lads are a rarity nowadays – but I always used to be baffled by the indifference with which eating was treated on these occasions. I enjoyed a whole day drinking as much as anyone else, but an adequate-to-good pub meal is a pleasure too – I seemed to be in a minority in insisting on eating, and downright odd for insisting on a pudding.
    Men eating puddings in the company only of other men seems to be seen as slightly girly. Which is odd, as in mixed company it seems more common for women to be the pudding-dodgers.
  • Options
    theakes said:

Wow Braverman. I had to pinch myself to remind me this was London 2023 and not Berlin 1933. Quite a dangerous woman.

She's getting a bit deluded and that was definitely intended to cosplay Rovers of Blood. Unfortunately a good public speaker though.
  • Options
    O/T but a nice bit of news - the wonderful National Library of Scotlands maps website has been extended to cover Ireland.

https://maps.nls.uk/additions/

Mostly the pre-indy maps and post-indy NI maps, but some military maps from WW2 ...
This discussion has been closed.