Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Is this the strategy Sunak should follow to win the election? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Gone drinking in Chorlton.
    "Card only". Bloody hipsters.
    Still, I quite like the art on the wall:

Someone needs to get Forton's hexagonal restaurant tower back up and running. It symbolises the mood of national optimism last witnessed in the 1960s.
    I also quite liked the convention of naming service stations after the nearest tiny hamlet. None of this Lancaster or Birmingham North or Bolton West bollocks - which I'm happy to see was a fad which has been thought better of.
    Of which the worst example is Leicester Forest East, which is west of Leicester and treeless.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,555
    Chris said:

Ugh, an actual Tory MP wrote this.

On my new substack I write about the economics of migration.

Britain should aim to be the "grammar school of the western world", with lower and more selective immigration.

Recent high and unselective immigration has coincided with poor productivity growth in the UK (1/)

https://twitter.com/NeilDotObrien/status/1727741350387310932

Always satisfying to see someone pontificating about educational standards doing something as nonsensical as labelling a plot of "GDP per capita" in units of 1%.
    I think everyone would assume it's meant to say growth. Fine if you want to be a pedantic teacher but doesn't suggest you have much to say.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Someone needs to get Forton's hexagonal restaurant tower back up and running. It symbolises the mood of national optimism last witnessed in the 1960s.
    I also quite liked the convention of naming service stations after the nearest tiny hamlet. None of this Lancaster or Birmingham North or Bolton West bollocks - which I'm happy to see was a fad which has been thought better of.
    Of which the worst example is Leicester Forest East, which is west of Leicester and treeless.
    Love it. The only thing that would be better is if it was in fact also nearer Glasgow than Leicester.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,065
    The createstreets twitter account

https://nitter.net/createstreets

Make Britain Pretty Again
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,122
    My son just had an idea for a new Netflix series. Zombie mermaids.

What do you reckon?
    viewcode said:

This appears not to be a joke. The collapse not just in design quality (that’s too obvious to need saying) but in any conception of mankind as having moral dignity is heartbreaking
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,969
    edited November 2023
    Imagine being stuck in a jungle with Nigel Farage and @Scott_xP rowing over Brexit day in and day out...

#StuffOfNightmares
    TimS said:

My son just had an idea for a new Netflix series. Zombie mermaids.

What do you reckon?

5 years too late for the peak of the Zombie craze.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,370
    Cyclefree said:

Army on the streets of Dublin tonight. Some serious anger out there.

Edited: it's been confirmed that the attacker was an Algerian national. What his migration status was I don't know.

BBC concentrating on the far-right angle in Dublin.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,373
    edited November 2023
    Footlocker, its always trainers these people feel the need to liberate during a protest...

https://x.com/JOEdotie/status/1727799739817529687?s=20
  • MuesliMuesli Posts: 202
    Cookie said:

This is from Conor McGregor, with 10 million followers on Twitter:

https://x.com/thenotoriousmma/status/1727800056835621033

Innocent children ruthlessly stabbed by a mentally deranged non-national in Dublin, Ireland today. Our chief of police had this to say on the riots in the aftermath. Drew, not good enough. There is grave danger among us in Ireland that should never be here in the first place, and there has been zero action done to support the public in any way, shape or form with this frightening fact. NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Make change or make way. Ireland for the victory 🇮🇪 God bless those attacked today, we pray 🙏

How does Conor McGregor - a commentator from a country with 5 million - gain 10 nillion followers? Apologies if I have grossly misunderstood.
    Are you perhaps getting Conor McGregor (MMA fighter) mixed up with Conor McNamara (sports commentator)?

Footlocker, its always trainers these people feel the need to liberate during a protest...

Hi resale value and easy to transport I guess.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,762
    kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Love it. The only thing that would be better is if it was in fact also nearer Glasgow than Leicester.
    Why is Watford Gap so far from Watford?
    edited November 2023
    kle4 said:

Hi resale value and easy to transport I guess.
    But but they are supposed to be protesting or something....
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

Edited: it's been confirmed that the attacker was an Algerian national. What his migration status was I don't know.

Is the second part of this comment any more reliable than the first?
    So it's been reported. But who knows. One attack does not normally result in riots so there must be more to this.
    The far right have been making trouble for months over the number of refugees/asylum seekers arriving in Ireland. There was an attack on the tents of homeless asylum seekers. There are regularly demonstrations whenever the government finds some new accommodation to house arrivals in.

Obviously the story has been put about that the perpetrator was from abroad, but it's irresponsible to repeat something like that which hasn't been confirmed.

I'm surprised that you would do so.
    I read a report that the Justice Minister had confirmed it. It turns out that this is not correct. Which is why I then said "So it's been reported. But who knows. One attack does not normally result in riots so there must be more to this."

Presumably the attacker has been arrested so the authorities do now know who they are.
  • Andy_JS said:

Cyclefree said:

But surely they are "mostly peaceful".....
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,040
    edited November 2023
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

0.5km as the crow flies.

edited November 2023

Reminder of what Kay Burley had to say earlier.

'Does Israel not think that Palestinian lives are valued as highly as Israeli lives.'

This was in reference to the fact that Israel was willing to trade 150 prisoners for 50 hostages. First of all the comment would seem to be unbelievably stupid. As the Israeli spokesman pointed out they would have swapped one for one if they could. Was Burley simply being obsessive about Israel's preparedness to be disproportionate - at least in the sense of killing more civilians in Gaza than there were Israeli civilians killed on 7 October?

Whatever the truth, it's live TV and people sometimes say stupid things (cf Richard Madeley). We get the usual twitterstorm, the cancellation mob, the climbdown, the apology, the nervous wait before we hear what the employer has to say. And yet........ we didn't. Burley's offensive remarks don't appear to have been of interest to anyone other than a few Israel supporters and antisemitism hawks. The selective nature of our collective outrage is one of the contemporary public sphere's most puzzling characteristics.

And of course Burley has form, lots of it. But free pass, no problem. But Lawrence Fox says he doesn't want to shag somebody, close the channel down, close it down now, Newsnight arranges special panel who all think it should be shut. Where is OFCOM, get the regulator involved....its the biggest news story in the UK, in the world, for days....

Andy_JS said:

Cyclefree said:

People are only mostly peaceful in a riot if there is a trendy cause attached.
    edited November 2023
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Cyclefree said:

People are only mostly peaceful in a riot if there is a trendy cause attached.
    They also seem to require liberating trainers and iPhones to show their support for the cause....
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

0.5km as the crow flies.

It was a very silly name to choose
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,912
    Cookie said:

I've noticed that many shops in Aus have a small float and don't accept transactions in cash explicitly to protect their staff from violent robberies. Assume it helps with the insurance too.
  • Times reporting a 4 point increase in conservative share (still 19% behind) and treasury looking to a February budget must increase the speculation of a May GE
  • Andy_JS said:

Cyclefree said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2022–23_Irish_anti-immigration_protests
    The Tory on Question Time sounds totally out of touch, living in cloud cuckoo land.
    edited November 2023
    https://x.com/Kscott_94/status/1727793741040144691?s=20

Youth of today, weak as piss. Can't even throw a cone.
  • A man's been arrested after a Jewish woman's car was set alight in north London.

https://x.com/LBCNews/status/1727802847150936575?s=20
  • A lot of Guardian readers on my Twitter timeline shocked that Irish people are rioting wouldn't have coped well in 1916.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465

Times reporting a 4 point increase in conservative share (still 19% behind) and treasury looking to a February budget must increase the speculation of a May GE

Yes...from 21 to 25. As I said a couple of days ago, they've had a week when they were dominating the news without any scandals, so a bit of a bounce was likely. I wouldn't expect it to go much further for now.
  • China says no new viruses have been found, increase in illnesses caused by flu, Mycoplasma pneumoniae, RSV and COVID

https://x.com/BNOFeed/status/1727789994595496388?s=20

That's a relief, glad they are really trustworthy over these things.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,861
    rcs1000 said: "(It also might mean that UK universities, who benefit from higher fees from foreign students, are prioritising revenues over educating the native population.)"

That occurs in the US, too, of course. And there is some evidence that it occurs betweeen American states, as well.

Here's a hypothetical example, that explains how that might work: Joe and John Smith are cousins with similar high school records, Joe living in Washington state, and John In Oregon. Each cousin applies to both the University of Washington and the University of Oregon. Oddly, Washington accepts John and Oregon accepts Joe, but neither is accepted by their home state university.

Or not so oddly, if you look up the universites' prices for in-state and out-of-state tuition.

(The schools are roughly similar academically -- though please don't pass that thought on to my oldest brother-in-law, who is a proud UW graduate.)
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,036
    Muesli said:

Cookie said:

This is from Conor McGregor, with 10 million followers on Twitter:

https://x.com/thenotoriousmma/status/1727800056835621033

Innocent children ruthlessly stabbed by a mentally deranged non-national in Dublin, Ireland today. Our chief of police had this to say on the riots in the aftermath. Drew, not good enough. There is grave danger among us in Ireland that should never be here in the first place, and there has been zero action done to support the public in any way, shape or form with this frightening fact. NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Make change or make way. Ireland for the victory 🇮🇪 God bless those attacked today, we pray 🙏

How does Conor McGregor - a commentator from a country with 5 million - gain 10 nillion followers? Apologies if I have grossly misunderstood.
    Are you perhaps getting Conor McGregor (MMA fighter) mixed up with Conor McNamara (sports commentator)?
    Quite possibly!
    edited November 2023
    Looks like around a third of Dutch voters chose populist parties of one type or another. PVV 23.7%, BBB 4.7%, FvD 2.2%, JA21 0.7%. Also 2.1% for the Calvinist party, which is categorised as pretty conservative on most issues.

https://www.trouw.nl/verkiezingen/tweede-kamerverkiezingen-2023-hoe-is-er-gestemd-in-uw-gemeente~be91966c/

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

0.5km as the crow flies.

No it wasn't. There may be a large Watford in Hertfordshire but Watford Gap is a gap between the hills in Northants. It was moderately well known well before the M1.

I also love Leicester Forest East, because it's fun to say.
  • viewcode said:

Look like they're recommending ugly terraces without any gardens, nothing pretty about it.

Seems to be more about making Britain petty again.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,555
    Thinking about the big march on Sunday, I was sent a message to state that they are arranging travel from various cities - though not my own, Cardiff. Trains as ever on Sunday will be tricky. I assume a Saturday march was a no no for the police.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,861
    Minor point: In the US, the Monday after "Black Friday" is not color coded. Instead it is called "Cyber Monday", because that's the day retailers encourage office workers to spend the day shopping for Christmas on line -- instead of working.

(For the record: I've never paid much attention to either Black Friday, or Cyber Monday, and don't plan to this year.)

China says no new viruses have been found, increase in illnesses caused by flu, Mycoplasma pneumoniae, RSV and COVID

https://x.com/BNOFeed/status/1727789994595496388?s=20

That's a relief, glad they are really trustworthy over these things.

Just seen the reports about a childhood pneumonia outbreak. Sounds quite serious.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,583
    Previous YouGov was 44/21.

So looks like tonight is 44/25.

viewcode said:

Look like they're recommending ugly terraces without any gardens, nothing pretty about it.

Looks beautiful to me and I'd happily live somewhere like that.

On the multifaith shed: I'm drunk, so please forgive the rudeness, but really, why must we create spaces for people to talk to their imaginary friends? At least in smoking sheds people talk to other smokers. I applaud Bristol airport for treating religion with the contempt it deserves.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,480
    edited November 2023
    Cookie said:

viewcode said:

On the multifaith shed: I'm drunk, so please forgive the rudeness, but really, why must we create spaces for people to talk to their imaginary friends? At least in smoking sheds people talk to other smokers. I applaud Bristol airport for treating religion with the contempt it deserves.
    I find it depressing. Straight out of the building into the street, no open air private space for families or guests or anything else.

No space or gap between homes, not even semi detached.

We can do much better than that. Every home in my cul de sac has their own spaces, without being crammed into shitty terraces.

Still, if you like it then good for you. Builders should be able to build your style, and my style, and let people decide.

EDIT: Though on religion, I totally agree with you.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,054
    edited November 2023
    Cookie said:

viewcode said:

Much of our greatest architecture is comprised of Christian cathedrals and churches and there are also some beautiful historical temples and mosques across the world.

Even in the UK on the last census most of us still have religion. You secularists can be as rude as you want but we religious do not deserve to be given what looks like a portaloo to pray and practice our faith!

Cookie said:

viewcode said:

I find it depressing. Straight out of the building into the street, no open air private space for families or guests or anything else.

We can do much better than that. Every home in my cul de sac has their own spaces, without being crammed into shitty terraces.

Still, if you like it then good for you. Builders should be able to build your style, and my style, and let people decide.
    We have very different tastes in urbanism!
    I was actually thinking earlier what an interesting experiment you and I could have had given a blank slate of land and people keen to move to a city. You could have designed your low-density car based city, I could have designed my high density public transport and walking based city and we'd see which did best.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,907
    edited November 2023

Times reporting a 4 point increase in conservative share (still 19% behind) and treasury looking to a February budget must increase the speculation of a May GE

Yes...from 21 to 25. As I said a couple of days ago, they've had a week when they were dominating the news without any scandals, so a bit of a bounce was likely. I wouldn't expect it to go much further for now.
    The YouGov was likely conducted 21 and 22 November when there was all the fanfare for the Autumn Statement and before the wheels started coming off it and then today’s immigration figures . This May election talk by some in the media and some so called sources seems delusional.

I don’t buy it at all . Sunak will hang on hoping something pops up. Perhaps the latest nutjob in Argentina might start a war and Sunak can channel his Wartime Leader routine !

Just seen MikeL post . 22 and 23 November . My point still stands . I expect later polls to show the Tories going nowhere .
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,583
    edited November 2023
    YOUGOV (THE TIMES):

Lab 44 (=)
    Con 25 (+4)
    LD 10 (=)
    Reform 9 (-1)
    Green 7 (-1)
    SNP 4 (=)
    PC 1 (=)
    Others 1 (-1)

Sample: 2,069
    Fieldwork: 22/23 Nov (change vs 14/15 Nov)

- Highest Con share with YouGov since mid Sept
    - Three points below highest Con share with YouGov under Sunak
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,165
    As others have pointed out, the Bristol prayer shed is incredibly British.

I pointed out on here that I was struck, when returning to London in summer, how so much of the aesthetic seemed “drearily municipal”.

Bristol Airport is owned by a Canadian pension fund. It’s very obvious that it is run by people who don’t give a flying fuck - no pun intended - for the humans who have to use it.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,792
    Cookie said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

0.5km as the crow flies.

No it wasn't. There may be a large Watford in Hertfordshire but Watford Gap is a gap between the hills in Northants. It was moderately well known well before the M1.

Many decades ago I remember a decent steak restaurant at the Trowell services, a little further north.

A quick google seems to confirm this memory.
    https://motorwayservices.uk/History:Trowell
    ...In 1977 Egon Ronay made a rare positive comment about the services, describing the food as "almost good on occasion". It was the only place which he said was trying to provide a "comfortable, restful, pleasant restaurant", and appreciated the "extensive" menu. The café was not as good was the waitress service, but was still clean with prompt service...
    edited November 2023

As others have pointed out, the Bristol prayer shed is incredibly British.

I pointed out on here that I was struck, when returning to London in summer, how so much of the aesthetic seemed “drearily municipal”.

Bristol Airport is owned by a Canadian pension fund. It’s very obvious that it is run by people who don’t give a flying fuck - no pun intended - for the humans who have to use it.

Actually I have flown to / from there a number of times, and it isn't a bad airport at all. Its generally pretty neat and tidy and seems to run fine, at least in my limited experience. Appears to have had a large amount of investment over the past few years and its the local eco mob who are stopping even further investment.

Many many many far worse ones.
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

viewcode said:

I was actually thinking earlier what an interesting experiment you and I could have had given a blank slate of land and people keen to move to a city. You could have designed your low-density car based city, I could have designed my high density public transport and walking based city and we'd see which did best.
    Why cities? I'd rather design low density (but well-connected) towns than cities.

Interesting looking at market prices in the North West, its not a perfect proxy but it seems the market indicates that people generally think that terraces are the worst option, not the best one.

Most of the sales in North West over the past year were semi-detached properties which on average sold for £243,348. Terraced properties had an average sold price of £168,638 and detached properties averaged at £432,816.
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices-in-north-west.html

Seems like people like the idea of having a space of their own and not being crammed in with others.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,122
    edited November 2023
    Cookie said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

0.5km as the crow flies.

A very interesting geographical feature, the Watford gap. Canal, railway and roads all pass through it, and it marks the physical and cultural boundary between the South East and the Midlands. Like a British defile de Donzere.
    MikeL said:

YOUGOV (THE TIMES):

Lab 44 (=)
    Con 25 (+4)
    LD 10 (=)
    Reform 9 (-1)
    Green 7 (-1)
    SNP 4 (=)
    PC 1 (=)
    Others 1 (-1)

The Times is spinning this as a good poll for the Tories? Goodness me.
    MikeL said:

YOUGOV (THE TIMES):

Lab 44 (=)
    Con 25 (+4)
    LD 10 (=)
    Reform 9 (-1)
    Green 7 (-1)
    SNP 4 (=)
    PC 1 (=)
    Others 1 (-1)

Swwwwwwingbaaaaaaaaaaack?
    HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

viewcode said:

Much of our greatest architecture is comprised of Christian cathedrals and churches and there are also some beautiful historical temples and mosques across the world.

Even in the UK on the last census most of us still have religion. You secularists can be as rude as you want but we religious do not deserve to be given what looks like a portaloo to pray and practice our faith!
    Well I apologise for my rudeness about your sincere faith which you don't really bother anyone with.

And I agree: I have all sorts of misgivings about religion, but it has certainly been responsible for some splendid architecture. In most British towns and villages the parish church will be in the top five best buildings.
    But I don't see why public buildings should have to accommodate the religious. Many people like watching football but public buildings don't feel the need for a football room.
    Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

viewcode said:

Well I apologise for my rudeness about your sincere faith which you don't really bother anyone with.

And I agree: I have all sorts of misgivings about religion, but it has certainly been responsible for some splendid architecture. In most British towns and villages the parish church will be in the top five best buildings.
    But I don't see why public buildings should have to accommodate the religious. Many people like watching football but public buildings don't feel the need for a football room.
    Try reading the Equality Act and the ECHR and you'll get a clue.
    MikeL said:

YOUGOV (THE TIMES):

Lab 44 (=)
    Con 25 (+4)
    LD 10 (=)
    Reform 9 (-1)
    Green 7 (-1)
    SNP 4 (=)
    PC 1 (=)
    Others 1 (-1)

At least some bounce then post autumn statement but 25%, 5% even below the 1997 Tory voteshare, is not going to see Sunak call an early election. He will wait until next autumn most likely
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,708

Cookie said:

viewcode said:

No space or gap between homes, not even semi detached.

EDIT: Though on religion, I totally agree with you.
    My current digs gives straight on to the pavement. Having lived in houses with various types of gardens, I don't really miss a front garden. Back gardens yes, they're like extended living spaces, allotments, kids play spaces, but unless you're a keen gardener tending your hollyhocks and Michelmas daisies, or your 1950s clipped square of grass and begonias, why would you seriously miss a front garden?
    Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

viewcode said:

No-one is forcing you to go there or use it. So why does it bother you so?
    edited November 2023
    HYUFD said:

MikeL said:

YOUGOV (THE TIMES):

Lab 44 (=)
    Con 25 (+4)
    LD 10 (=)
    Reform 9 (-1)
    Green 7 (-1)
    SNP 4 (=)
    PC 1 (=)
    Others 1 (-1)

At least some bounce then post autumn statement but 25%, 5% even below the 1997 Tory voteshare, is not going to see Sunak call an early election. He will wait until next autumn most likely
    If Con + is the direction of travel after the autumn statement we may see a more "favourable" pollster for Con giving Labour a single digit lead... Wonder if Opinium have a poll coming out this weekend?
    TimS said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

0.5km as the crow flies.

A very interesting geographical feature, the Watford gap. Canal, railway and roads all pass through it, and it marks the physical and cultural boundary between the South East and the Midlands. Like a British defile de Donzere.
    It’s also in the North, as it were, of Northamptonshire.
    Northants is really an Anglian, rather than Midlands, county.

25 is an appalling percentage for the Tories. It really is nothing to be pleased about.
    edited November 2023
    I wasn't mistaken over investment in Bristol airport...

Bristol Airport invests £60m in transport hub and car park
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-66914873

More improvements at Bristol Airport with a £3.5m renovation of its air traffic control tower
    http://www.bristol-business.net/more-improvements-at-bristol-airport-with-an-3-5m-renovation-of-its-air-traffic-control-tower/

Royal opening of £8.6 million Bristol Airport development
    https://www.tbebathandsomerset.co.uk/royal-opening-of-8-6-million-bristol-airport-development/

And the bus shelter, I mean multi-faith prayer facility, of course.
    Cyclefree said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

viewcode said:

No-one is forcing you to go there or use it. So why does it bother you so?
    It looks like a depressing human bin. It’s a bureaucratic monstrosity.
    Cyclefree said:

25 is an appalling percentage for the Tories. It really is nothing to be pleased about.
    I’m moderately pleased about it.

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

viewcode said:

Why cities? I'd rather design low density (but well-connected) towns than cities.

Interesting looking at market prices in the North West, its not a perfect proxy but it seems the market indicates that people generally think that terraces are the worst option, not the best one.

Most of the sales in North West over the past year were semi-detached properties which on average sold for £243,348. Terraced properties had an average sold price of £168,638 and detached properties averaged at £432,816.

Seems like people like the idea of having a space of their own and not being crammed in with others.
    Hm - not sure like is being compared with like there! The NW has plenty of terraces which are cheap because they are either small, or in run down post-industrial areas, or both.
    But compare prices for a 'posh' terrace in, say, Chorlton, where I have been tonight with prices for a semi and the terrace will win - not because it is a terrace per se but because it is better located: terraces can be built at a higher density so there are more of them close to the centre: semis are further out in less fashionable areas.
    There are also Edwardian and Victorian semis in central areas who behave more like terraces in market terms! And are at higher densities. It's complicated.
    Cyclefree said:

It's better for Con than the last time they attempted to deliver a mini-budget in the autumn 😂
    The multifaith space seems pretty clearly a shelter for people who need to pray to Mecca at certain times of day. If that were me, I'd probably be glad to be out of the rain. A Christian doesn't need an assigned place to pray, though spaces can sometimes be conducive to prayer, because the prayer is an inner grace, not an outward action. You can be praying in your head whilst walking down the road. You can't with Islam because it's the action that is the key not the intention. They've called it a multifaith space to avoid some form of backlash. Mission failed.

The multifaith space seems pretty clearly a shelter for people who need to pray to Mecca at certain times of day. If that were me, I'd probably be glad to be out of the rain. A Christian doesn't need an assigned place to pray, though spaces can sometimes be conducive to prayer, because the prayer is an inner grace, not an outward action. You can be praying in your head whilst walking down the road. You can't with Islam because it's the action that is the key not the intention. They've called it a multifaith space to avoid some form of backlash. Mission failed.

Don’t you need to kneel to pray to Mecca?
    It doesn’t even look like it has a weather-proof floor.
    edited November 2023

Its not a large airport, no need for it to be in the car park at all. Nowhere is more than a few minutes to the main terminal.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,762
    Cookie said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

viewcode said:

Hm - not sure like is being compared with like there! The NW has plenty of terraces which are cheap because they are either small, or in run down post-industrial areas, or both.
    But compare prices for a 'posh' terrace in, say, Chorlton, where I have been tonight with prices for a semi and the terrace will win - not because it is a terrace per se but because it is better located: terraces can be built at a higher density so there are more of them close to the centre: semis are further out in less fashionable areas.
    There are also Edwardian and Victorian semis in central areas who behave more like terraces in market terms! And are at higher densities. It's complicated.
    My first house was a 2 up 2 down Edwardian Terrace in Leicester, straight onto the street from the front room, small yard out the back. Great community.

Bit small once Fox jr started running about, but great for a young couple
    Cyclefree said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

viewcode said:

Neither of those really justify why we should indulge the religious. They say that we should but don't really, for me, provide a satisfactory reason for doing so.
  • OT. This seems like a bloody great idea from Germany. Good for both countries and playing to each others strengths and needs. I wonder how long it will take for the politicians to screw it up?

https://www.politico.eu/article/germany-and-uk-in-talks-over-400-mile-hydrogen-pipeline-under-the-north-sea/#

You put a prayer mat down. I haven't really looked at the floor. Still marginally better than getting pissed on from above as well as kneeling in a puddle.

You don't *need* to pray to Mecca at all. What will happen if you don't?

OT. This seems like a bloody great idea from Germany. Good for both countries and playing to each others strengths and needs. I wonder how long it will take for the politicians to screw it up?

https://www.politico.eu/article/germany-and-uk-in-talks-over-400-mile-hydrogen-pipeline-under-the-north-sea/#

The next election cycle in each?
    edited November 2023
    Sources have have said the man suspected of carrying out the stabbing is an Irish citizen, who has lived in the country for 20 years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-67512628

Why did the authorities act all so weird. They will have known this fairly quickly and yet for hours they do the weird dance and into the void comes the troublemarkers, and still even an hour or two ago they were still doing the no comment.
    Andy_JS said:

MikeL said:

YOUGOV (THE TIMES):

Lab 44 (=)
    Con 25 (+4)
    LD 10 (=)
    Reform 9 (-1)
    Green 7 (-1)
    SNP 4 (=)
    PC 1 (=)
    Others 1 (-1)

The Times is spinning this as a good poll for the Tories? Goodness me.
    Well, it kind of is a good poll for them at the moment. That says a lot about the state of their prospects, but is technically true.
    At least he wasn't collecting it personally from a shady dude with a briefcase of cash for a change.
    Certainly not, it helps fund works on historic duchy buildings, a great legacy from those who died with no will or family to leave it to
    Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

viewcode said:

Virtually every public house does indeed have a room with a TV for watching football

Cyclefree said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

viewcode said:

Then maybe both of those are outdated and need serious revision. I don't see why belief in Middle Eastern Sky Fairies should confer protection and privilege when belief in, for example, The Flying Spaghetti Monster or Liverpool Football Club, does not.
    Religion is a human constant. The urge to believe in the divine and the life hereafter is an central part of many people's lives, and human nature being what it is those beliefs will differ. This difference and the inability of people to cope with it has caused catastrophically large wars throughout history and deaths innumerable. To prevent this we eventually decided to grit our teeth, tolerate the differences and make those reasonable accommodations that would enable us to rub alongside each other without mounting yet another holy war/pogrom/jihad/crusade.

Admittedly I wasn't expecting it to end up with a multifaith bus shelter, but there y'go. 😃
    Thread: https://x.com/chriso_wiki/status/1727774486756237686?s=46&t=L9g_woCIqbo1MTuBFCK0xg

A cannibal serial killer who is said to have murdered 13 people and filled his refrigerator with human flesh has been pardoned by Vladimir Putin and sent to fight in Ukraine. The decision has caused shock on Russian social media networks…

… . Only this week, it became known that Putin had pardoned a Satanist cannibal, Nikolai Ogolobyak, who had killed and eaten four teenagers.
    edited November 2023

Cyclefree said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

viewcode said:

Then maybe both of those are outdated and need serious revision. I don't see why belief in Middle Eastern Sky Fairies should confer protection and privilege when belief in, for example, The Flying Spaghetti Monster or Liverpool Football Club, does not.
    As in the past people have been persecuted, even killed for their expression or not of a particular religion or faith, see the Holocaust.

Beyond the odd riot to control the state has never persecuted football supporters nor have private businesses

Thread: https://x.com/chriso_wiki/status/1727774486756237686?s=46&t=L9g_woCIqbo1MTuBFCK0xg

A cannibal serial killer who is said to have murdered 13 people and filled his refrigerator with human flesh has been pardoned by Vladimir Putin and sent to fight in Ukraine. The decision has caused shock on Russian social media networks…

… . Only this week, it became known that Putin had pardoned a Satanist cannibal, Nikolai Ogolobyak, who had killed and eaten four teenagers.

Anything for the Motherland, looks like Putin is now opening the jails to ensure fresh recruits for the front
  • Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759
    Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

viewcode said:

What harm does it do you, if an organisation creates a space for prayer?
    Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

viewcode said:

But I don't see why public buildings should have to accommodate the religious...
    Because i) they use them, ii) they pay taxes, and iii) they *are* the public... 😃

Let's be honest: he'll fit right in... ☹️
  • Sources have have said the man suspected of carrying out the stabbing is an Irish citizen, who has lived in the country for 20 years.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-67512628

Why did the authorities act all so weird. They will have known this fairly quickly and yet for hours they do the weird dance and into the void comes the troublemarkers, and still even an hour or two ago they were still doing the no comment.

There are some suggestions via Irish media that he was 'known' to authorities as a risk of knife violence, which is presumably why they are all busy trying to cover their arses.
    edited November 2023
    HYUFD said:

Anything for the Motherland, looks like Putin is now opening the jails to ensure fresh recruits for the front
    He's been allowing less serious prisoners out of jail ever since the start of the war if they agreed to fight, in order to boost numbers.
  • viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

viewcode said:

Religion is a human constant. The urge to believe in the divine and the life hereafter is an central part of many people's lives, and human nature being what it is those beliefs will differ. This difference and the inability of people to cope with it has caused catastrophically large wars throughout history and deaths innumerable. To prevent this we eventually decided to grit our teeth, tolerate the differences and make those reasonable accommodations that would enable us to rub alongside each other without mounting yet another holy war/pogrom/jihad/crusade.

Admittedly I wasn't expecting it to end up with a multifaith bus shelter, but there y'go. 😃
    We can rub along perfectly well without giving special priveleges and rights to one faction who choose to follow a particlar lifestyle whilst not confering those rights on everyone else who does not.

Everyone should be protected from persecution and discrimination irrespective of their religion (or increasingly their lack of it). I have no problem with anyone believing whatever idiocy they want to but don't believe that one particular form of mania should confer extra rights over any others.

Newark hosts the only permanent Odinist temple in the UK. Should they be given seats in the Lords and influence over our laws? Jedis? Pastafarians?
  • viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

viewcode said:

We can rub along perfectly well without giving special priveleges and rights to one faction who choose to follow a particlar lifestyle whilst not confering those rights on everyone else who does not.

Everyone should be protected from persecution and discrimination irrespective of their religion (or increasingly their lack of it). I have no problem with anyone believing whatever idiocy they want to but don't believe that one particular form of mania should confer extra rights over any others.

Newark hosts the only permanent Odinist temple in the UK. Should they be given seats in the Lords and influence over our laws? Jedis? Pastafarians?
    No. Yes. No
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,852
    TimS said:

Cookie said:

Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

Cookie said:

0.5km as the crow flies.

A very interesting geographical feature, the Watford gap. Canal, railway and roads all pass through it, and it marks the physical and cultural boundary between the South East and the Midlands. Like a British defile
    de Donzere.
    Why was Don there, to be defiled?
    edited November 2023

viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

viewcode said:

Everyone should be protected from persecution and discrimination irrespective of their religion (or increasingly their lack of it). I have no problem with anyone believing whatever idiocy they want to but don't believe that one particular form of mania should confer extra rights
    over any others.

Newark hosts the only
    permanent Odinist temple in
    the UK. Should they be given
    seats in the Lords and
    influence over our laws?
    Jedis? Pastafarians?
    46% of the UK population are
    still Christian on the last
    census, less than 5% of the
    fully appointed Lords are
    Bishops. Mostly they make
    sensible contributions to
    Lords debate, better than
    some of the Lords who get appointed to it now anyway
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,852
    Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

viewcode said:

But I don't see why public buildings should have to accommodate the religious. Many people like watching football but public buildings don't feel the need for a football
    room.
    It’s a commercial decision

Certain religions need to pray at specific times of the day. But other passengers react negatively to people praying in the middle of the concourse. So set aside a little room out of the way for them to use
  • Not at all. TSE tried to get all Republican uppity about it earlier until it was pointed out that it is actually run by a Cabinet Minister and is being done to improve the energy efficiency of old buildings.
    edited November 2023
    viewcode said:

Cyclefree said:

Cookie said:

HYUFD said:

Cookie said:

viewcode said:

A good book to read on this IMO is John Gray's "Seven Types of Atheism". He talks about it here. (Just as much about religion as atheism, arguably).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFzWtlGJXsY
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649

Not at all. TSE tried to get all Republican uppity about it earlier until it was pointed out that it is actually run by a Cabinet Minister and is being done to improve the energy efficiency of old buildings.
    Do we get the Cabinet minister to stand in the houses pumping out hot air?

If not, we're missing a trick.
This discussion has been closed.