Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Bad news for the we want Boris back crew – politicalbetting.com

124»

Comments

• Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,550
    MarqueeMark - The mini-nuke project that was canceled was from a different company (NuScale) in a different state (Idaho), using different technology, without the backing of a Gates. (I don't know enough details to know whether that cancelation decision was appropriate. NuScale still appears to have other projects for developing its technology.
    https://www.nuscalepower.com/en
    https://www.terrapower.com/
  • Options
    Every tory interviewed today bangs on about the £28billion that Reeves no longer says will be invested in the first few years of Labour administration.

This is clearly a line to take.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,991

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

The characterisation of letting people die showing no leadership is incorrect. Not having another lockdown would have been the tough decision and would have been extremely brave of the government and it would have required extraordinary leadership to actually do it. In the end Boris chose the easy option and bankrupted the nation so that a few over 80s could extend their lives by another few months.

I still don't understand why people in vulnerable categories couldn't have been told to stay at home, while people not in vulnerable categories could carry on as normal.
    Because the young go out, catch COVID, come home and kill the middle aged and elderly.

That's like deciding to switch to driving on the right and staggering the roll out with odd numbered cars switching first
    My wife needed to shield. So I needed to shield too. Call me overly cautious, but I didn't want to kill her.
    I think some don’t live in the real world. The idea that society is segmented, and oldies only live with and interact with other oldies is absurd. And yet many (presumably young people) still say only the vulnerable should have been locked down, as if that was possible.

Hindsight is wonderful. Judge peoples decisions by what was known at the time.
    But there was never a detailed plan about how you could do shielding of the vulnerable and let the rest carry on working and going to school.

No one in authority bothered to even try.

It was dismissed as ravings of a few lunatics like Bhattacharya (Stanford).

It is a disgrace that there was no team at No 10 and Public Dishealth England wargaming an alternative like this.

You couldn't, that's why.

But that's not a reason why we should have closed schools and locked down people, it was a horrendous mistake.

We should have accepted that a perfect shielding was impossible and that people would die.

"The NHS being overwhelmed" is bollocks too, the NHS is always overwhelmed, that's why there's things like triage, NICE, waiting lists etc

If the NHS gets overwhelmed then triage to determine who can best be helped and wish the others luck.
    Would you have been that sanguine if one of your children was turned away?
    Children are turned away all the time. We've been waiting nine months for an appointment for my daughter since she was referred to the hospital and we're still waiting. That's what the NHS does all the time, nothing original.

There's no blank cheque.
    My ex waited almost 10yrs for treatment for depression. And then was found drowned in the bottom of a lake in a disused quarry.

It's not just children who are being failed but count naught towards the stats.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,473
    edited November 2023

Every tory interviewed today bangs on about the £28billion that Reeves no longer says will be invested in the first few years of Labour administration.

I'm not sure where you are going with this. I am assuming she is suggesting if £28b is spent on tax cuts, it can't be spent again. Which seems fair enough.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    edited November 2023

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

The characterisation of letting people die showing no leadership is incorrect. Not having another lockdown would have been the tough decision and would have been extremely brave of the government and it would have required extraordinary leadership to actually do it. In the end Boris chose the easy option and bankrupted the nation so that a few over 80s could extend their lives by another few months.

I still don't understand why people in vulnerable categories couldn't have been told to stay at home, while people not in vulnerable categories could carry on as normal.
    Because the young go out, catch COVID, come home and kill the middle aged and elderly.

That's like deciding to switch to driving on the right and staggering the roll out with odd numbered cars switching first
    Its the circle of life, people get old, and die.

Its sad. Mourn them and move on.

We're not meant to be immortal. People die, its not the end of the world.

Well, it literally is for those that die 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    ohnotnow said:

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

My wife needed to shield. So I needed to shield too. Call me overly cautious, but I didn't want to kill her.
    I think some don’t live in the real world. The idea that society is segmented, and oldies only live with and interact with other oldies is absurd. And yet many (presumably young people) still say only the vulnerable should have been locked down, as if that was possible.

Hindsight is wonderful. Judge peoples decisions by what was known at the time.
    But there was never a detailed plan about how you could do shielding of the vulnerable and let the rest carry on working and going to school.

No one in authority bothered to even try.

It was dismissed as ravings of a few lunatics like Bhattacharya (Stanford).

It is a disgrace that there was no team at No 10 and Public Dishealth England wargaming an alternative like this.

You couldn't, that's why.

But that's not a reason why we should have closed schools and locked down people, it was a horrendous mistake.

We should have accepted that a perfect shielding was impossible and that people would die.

"The NHS being overwhelmed" is bollocks too, the NHS is always overwhelmed, that's why there's things like triage, NICE, waiting lists etc

If the NHS gets overwhelmed then triage to determine who can best be helped and wish the others luck.
    Would you have been that sanguine if one of your children was turned away?
    Children are turned away all the time. We've been waiting nine months for an appointment for my daughter since she was referred to the hospital and we're still waiting. That's what the NHS does all the time, nothing original.

There's no blank cheque.
    My ex waited almost 10yrs for treatment for depression. And then was found drowned in the bottom of a lake in a disused quarry.

It's not just children who are being failed but count naught towards the stats.
    That's awful. I am sorry.

Did she really have to wait ten years? Incredible. I am presuming - probably wildly - that she was blocked by GP gatekeepers?
  • Options

I'm not sure where you are going with this. I am assuming she is suggesting if £28b is spent on tax cuts, it can't be spent again. Which seems fair enough.
    I'm saying they plan to attack Ed Miliband's £28billion green plan even though Reeves has spotted the danger and spread it over a number of years.

Early sign of the GE campaign.

Labour == Big Spending.

etc etc etc.

1992 campaign redux.

Or is it Small Boats?

They dont seem sure.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,138
    Foxy said:

This enquiry is pretty shitty stuff really isn't it?

Its only purpose in life seems to be to make everyone aghast at how awful the Tories are, rather than whether lockdowns were effective, proportionate and fair, whether the Nightingale programme should have been abandoned sooner, whether covid patients should have been treated in separate hospitals, which treatment protocols lead to the best results in covid sufferers, whether travel restrictions should have come in sooner, later, or not at all - you know, actual useful information.

Instead we're getting the awful uncouth Tory show. I already know how uncouth, unprofessional and shit Boris's No. 10 outfit was; I care about it only inasmuch as it may have lead to a tendency to kick key political decisions to 'experts' who I suspect had been captured by lockdown-mania.

I am in a rare moment of agreement.

The key points for the enquiry should be what worked, what didn't, and a cost benefit assessment. Useful lessons from these are essential.

The political gossip and who called whom a fuckwit when arguing about the above is titillating but not much use as there are no lessons to learn.
    There is, though, a certain value in observing in some detail how bad politicians are at making hard decisions.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

I'm saying they plan to attack Ed Miliband's £28billion green plan even though Reeves has spotted the danger and spread it over a number of years.

Early sign of the GE campaign.

Labour == Big Spending.

etc etc etc.

1992 campaign redux.

Or is it Small Boats?

They dont seem sure.
    Thanks.

Interesting if we are considering costs. The Rwanda fiasco is according to Jenrick going ahead irrespective of cost. I suspect we will see one plane with a hundred asylum seekers on board , for our 14Om taxpayer pounds. The Government win, and the programme can be shelved.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

kle4 said:

I think Nigel Farage could do very well out of I'm a celebrity. It's not my cup of tea, so I won't be watching, but it feels like a very canny decision. The thing is with Farage, he's very wily and a consummate battle-scarred politician. If the producers try to manipulate the show to make him look bad (not saying they would), they are going to fall very flat - they'd be up way past their bedtime playing politics with Farage.

Then if he does end up with newfound fame and adulation, what does he do? Go back to Reform and finish off the Tory Party?

I've kind of assumed the plan was always to take a more prominent political role again if the circumstances were right. Farage seems pretty canny to me, and at least as far as most people are concerned he's not been constantly popping up bemoaning this or that for the last few years, his career has had periods of relative quiet and others of very high profile, which lends itself to extending his usefulness as a political actor, whereas others have come and gone in the same period.
    Brexit was being argued about on tonight's episode. Serieix vs Farage.

Rest of them walked away to do washing up as they "had enough" of brexit arguing.

That is probably a good snapshot of the uk public frankly.
    Fair play to Sirieix - he’s up against a man whose whole career has been based on one argument, about Brexit.
    He was good. Farage finally said something about agreeing to disagree. Not, I think, because he felt he was losing but because he knew the public dont want hear too much about it.

Farage later ate camel nipples tonight.
    I'm A Celebrity 2023: TV viewing figures fall by two million for opening show

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67449085
    May or may not be boosted with tonight's episode opening with Farage's naked backside in the open air natural shower
    There are some things I want to see on telly and some things I don't and Nigel Farage's naked arse would definitely be at the bottom of my list... In fact it wouldn't even make my list.
    We should not seek to judge HYUFD's fetishes. (Though I had rather that I'd not heard the details.)
  • Options
    Significant win for Biden.

https://twitter.com/LaurenKGurley/status/1726607861093167353
    Ford, GM & Stellantis workers have voted by 64% in favor of ratifying their contract deals, UAW says.

Contracts offer larger wage increases than UAW workers have received in the past 22 yrs combined.

Close-ish vote likely due to very high expectations from members..
  • Options
    Argentina - the domino that is about to take down the world economy into another massive crisis?

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Ford, GM & Stellantis workers have voted by 64% in favor of ratifying their contract deals, UAW says.

Contracts offer larger wage increases than UAW workers have received in the past 22 yrs combined.

Will he get any thanks though?

America economy is doing pretty good yet ordinary joes are fed up and negative and think everything is going to shit economy wise. The polls just dont match the finance situation.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

This enquiry is pretty shitty stuff really isn't it?

Its only purpose in life seems to be to make everyone aghast at how awful the Tories are, rather than whether lockdowns were effective, proportionate and fair, whether the Nightingale programme should have been abandoned sooner, whether covid patients should have been treated in separate hospitals, which treatment protocols lead to the best results in covid sufferers, whether travel restrictions should have come in sooner, later, or not at all - you know, actual useful information.

Instead we're getting the awful uncouth Tory show. I already know how uncouth, unprofessional and shit Boris's No. 10 outfit was; I care about it only inasmuch as it may have lead to a tendency to kick key political decisions to 'experts' who I suspect had been captured by lockdown-mania.

I am in a rare moment of agreement.

The key points for the enquiry should be what worked, what didn't, and a cost benefit assessment. Useful lessons from these are essential.

The political gossip and who called whom a fuckwit when arguing about the above is titillating but not much use as there are no lessons to learn.
    There is, though, a certain value in observing in some detail how bad politicians are at making hard decisions.
    And some politicians are extraordinarily bad at making appropriate decisions. Johnson has come across from testimony by inquiry witnesses as having the common sense of Ronald McDonald. Sunak too is barely a notch below. Yet still they continue to have client journalists blowing smoke up their respective posteriors.
  • Options
    On the plus side, they sometimes have sex for 13 hours.

Caught not quite in the act: church cameras reveal bat sex ritual
    Experts say video provides first evidence of a mammal mating without penetration
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/2023/nov/20/caught-not-quite-in-the-act-church-cameras-reveal-bat-sex-ritual
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,809

Argentina - the domino that is about to take down the world economy into another massive crisis?

Argentina has been dysfunctional so long that there is nearly no international investment in their economy. What there is, is of the high risk/high return type.

At this point, downward for Argentina is limited to structural collapse of the kind that South Africa is looking at - power grid goes down finally etc.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    Love tomorrow’s Mirror headline.

SUNAK: LET PEOPLE DIE

Makes it look like it’s in the Autumn Statement. That’s brave policy making.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    Nigelb said:

On the plus side, they sometimes have sex for 13 hours.

Caught not quite in the act: church cameras reveal bat sex ritual
    Experts say video provides first evidence of a mammal mating without penetration
    https://www.theguardian.com/science/2023/nov/20/caught-not-quite-in-the-act-church-cameras-reveal-bat-sex-ritual

Without penetration? That’s an amazing aim.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Love tomorrow’s Mirror headline.

SUNAK: LET PEOPLE DIE

Makes it look like it’s in the Autumn Statement. That’s brave policy making.

Eat Out To Help Covid Out!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,154
    According to the BBC, 56% of Argentinians just voted for a far-right candidate.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,031
    edited November 2023
    Andy_JS said:

According to the BBC, 56% of Argentinians just voted for a far-right candidate.

Doesn't appear to be aggro on the Falklands, if anyone was wondering. Starmer continues to be a lucky admiral.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024

Nigelb said:

Will he get any thanks though?

America economy is doing pretty good yet ordinary joes are fed up and negative and think everything is going to shit economy wise. The polls just dont match the finance situation.

There’s a lot more American people primarily feeling the negative effects of cumulative inflation, than there are feeling the positive effects of the economic recovery, even if on paper growth is up and inflation is down.
This discussion has been closed.