Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Bad news for the we want Boris back crew – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,725

Its always fun when Leon "discovers" a theory we've all known about and spoken about for years, then acts as if it is groundbreaking and reads far too much into it.

Er, I’m not claiming to have “discovered” the wisdom of crowds. I’m applying it to the lab leak argument

It is genuinely interesting that the crowd in every country polled now says: Lab Leak
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819

Its always fun when Leon "discovers" a theory we've all known about and spoken about for years, then acts as if it is groundbreaking and reads far too much into it.

And doesn't understand where it is and is not applicable, and what confounding factors can and cannot apply.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,815

I'm cancelling my Disney+ subscription.

Home Alone isn't *that* bad
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,943

Labour leads by 19% nationally.

Tied lowest Conservative % since Sunak became PM.

Westminster VI (19 Nov.):

Labour 43% (–)
    Conservative 24% (-3)
    Liberal Democrat 14% (+2)
    Reform UK 7% (-1)
    Green 5% (-1)
    SNP 4% (+1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 12 Nov.

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1726646589245321644

The strange recent death of the Greens continues to flummox me. They'd been scoring upper single figures with most pollsters for a couple of years with virtually zero news coverage. Now, in a fortnight when the Labour party is in turmoil over Israel-Gaza and with the Greens the usual repository for disaffected Labour leftists, they're falling backwards.

Meanwhile the Lib Dems, who've not had any notable coverage or good news in recent days and were bricking it about the return of Dave, are rising across the board. 14% is one of the highest LD scores for some time. I think that may be a reaction to the Suella and stop the boats stuff, though that's just conjecture.

Ref down too. Weird polling. (perhaps just MoE)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,129
    CatMan said:

So I take it "alea jacta est" isn't a reference to the Album of an Austrian Power Metal Band?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alea_Jacta_Est

I had to give up Latin at 15 because I wanted to go to the science 4th.
  • Options

This would be a far better country - and probably a far less divided one - if Boris Johnson had been born in a council house.

Johnson is quite like a council estate benefit scrounger of tabloid imagination - numerous kids by different mothers, lazy and feckless, thinks the world owes him a living, permanently skint, can't hold down a job, unkempt appearance, engages in drunken shouting matches waking the neighbours... Perhaps he could star in a remake of Shameless.
    Puts his "what about the inheritance of poor little Wilfred" moan into perspective.

If little Wilfred didn't have so many siblings, there would be a lot more in the pot for him.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,072
    edited November 2023
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

I'd be interested in the overlap between people who rated Boris Johnson and people with a Maths A level at B or above. Quite small I'd imagine.

kinabalu said:

I'd be interested in the overlap between people who rated Boris Johnson and people with a Maths A level at B or above. Quite small I'd imagine.

@isam is his biggest fan and makes his living by assessing probability and risk.

I don’t think I am his biggest fan; I just think people who were gutted by Remain losing the referendum projected a lot of their anger into him, making those who didn’t have a big opinion on him seem like fans. I’m not sure I ever made a gushing comment about him, as in him being a genius, or master strategist, more that he was a good example of my theory of personality going a long way, which upset the establishment, both political and PB.

I suppose him being the one that got Brexit over the line made him a bit of a hero of my cause, so I leapt to his defence when his haters saw everything he did through the prism of bitter hatred.

Policy wise he didn’t seem particularly right wing as PM; if it had been a Labour leader doing as he did I doubt many Centrist would have minded

As for A-Levels, a rather Corbyn-esque C & E for me, English Lit & Psychology

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    stodge said:

Didn't one of the great fictional POTUS, Josiah Bartlet, once opine:

"You have a lot of help, you listen to everybody and then you call the play"

That presumably is the essence of leadership - being able to give equal weight both to the opinions you like and the opinions you don't. Perhaps the problem is leaders surround themselves with advisers who act more in an affirmatory than controversial fashion.

I assume it's also the competing priorities in play. The reason PMs don't trust Cabinet Ministers who may shine and then be after their job, or good advice from a source they don't like or wish to empower. Advisers who have their own agendas, or follow an order precisely even if the leader hasn't thought it through, or focus on factional opponents more than actions.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Labour leads by 19% nationally.

Tied lowest Conservative % since Sunak became PM.

Westminster VI (19 Nov.):

Labour 43% (–)
    Conservative 24% (-3)
    Liberal Democrat 14% (+2)
    Reform UK 7% (-1)
    Green 5% (-1)
    SNP 4% (+1)
    Other 1% (–)

Changes +/- 12 Nov.

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1726646589245321644

The strange recent death of the Greens continues to flummox me. They'd been scoring upper single figures with most pollsters for a couple of years with virtually zero news coverage. Now, in a fortnight when the Labour party is in turmoil over Israel-Gaza and with the Greens the usual repository for disaffected Labour leftists, they're falling backwards.

Meanwhile the Lib Dems, who've not had any notable coverage or good news in recent days and were bricking it about the return of Dave, are rising across the board. 14% is one of the highest LD scores for some time. I think that may be a reaction to the Suella and stop the boats stuff, though that's just conjecture.

Ref down too. Weird polling. (perhaps just MoE)
    A couple of polls are showing a minor SNP bounce back. Could be nothing. Tiny samples

But I wonder if the appointment of Dave “solemn vow” Cameron has annoyed some Scots back to the Nats
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    edited November 2023
    stodge said:

By the way, next Conservative poll at 30% or higher, NOT tonight with Redfield & Wilton.

Perfect comic timing. (See posts just above).
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,143
    If you watch "Ask The Audience" on a Russian edition of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, the audience sometimes deliberately votes for the wrong answer in order to be obnoxious to the contestant. Says something about the character of Russians.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,494
    edited November 2023
    biggles said:

kinabalu said:

*Raises hand*

But it depends what you mean by “rated”. He got the referendum won. He avoided a second referendum that would have been lost. He ensured a hard-ish Brexit. He turns out to have kept our lockdown as short as was ever going to be possible, albeit more by luck than judgement.

He was very useful.
    And he's trashed the Tory brand for a generation meaning I'm happy too. A little something for everyone.

Edit: Well done on that Maths.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,923
    I'll analyse the billhooks out of the R&W tables later - but I'm immediately struck by Lab/LD/Green 62% Conservative/Reform 31%.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

If you watch "Ask The Audience" on a Russian edition of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, the audience sometimes deliberately votes for the wrong answer in order to be obnoxious to the contestant. Says something about the character of Russians.

Hahahah

Is that true? I do love the Russians - sometimes - with their darkness and cynicism
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,150

Given that the question if very incumbent-friendly, Starmer's lead here is notable ...

At this moment, which of the following do Britons think would be the better Prime Minister for the UK? (19 November)

Keir Starmer 43% (+2)
    Rishi Sunak 28% (-3)

Changes +/- 12 Nov

https://twitter.com/RedfieldWilton/status/1726649182604177413

I see from the chart that Sunak is actually in third place, behind "Don't Know".

Quite an achievement for a sitting prime minister.

(Rishi: "I am standing up, actually!")
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,225
    stodge said:

I'll analyse the billhooks out of the R&W tables later - but I'm immediately struck by Lab/LD/Green 62% Conservative/Reform 31%.

So Con/Reform over 30% even if Con alone isn't
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Home Alone isn't *that* bad
    Home Alone is Die Hard for children.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Given that the question if very incumbent-friendly, Starmer's lead here is notable ...

At this moment, which of the following do Britons think would be the better Prime Minister for the UK? (19 November)

Keir Starmer 43% (+2)
    Rishi Sunak 28% (-3)

Changes +/- 12 Nov

I see from the chart that Sunak is actually in third place, behind "Don't Know".

Quite an achievement for a sitting prime minister.

(Rishi: "I am standing up, actually!")
    "The Germans' nickname for me is the Little Man??"
  • Options

This would be a far better country - and probably a far less divided one - if Boris Johnson had been born in a council house.

Johnson is quite like a council estate benefit scrounger of tabloid imagination - numerous kids by different mothers, lazy and feckless, thinks the world owes him a living, permanently skint, can't hold down a job, unkempt appearance, engages in drunken shouting matches waking the neighbours... Perhaps he could star in a remake of Shameless.
    Perhaps why Boris was the first Conservative leader in history to win more DE unskilled working class and unemployed voters than Labour at GE2019? And may well be the last Tory leader to win that class
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,710
    edited November 2023
    I was lucky enough to tour Speaker's House recently, and the greatest sight was the official portrait of John Bercow, with a blank panel they kept in anticipation of putting his peerage there.

https://twitter.com/yuanyi_z/status/1726629176692883778
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,715
    Leon said:

Er, I’m not claiming to have “discovered” the wisdom of crowds. I’m applying it to the lab leak argument

It is genuinely interesting that the crowd in every country polled now says: Lab Leak
    Awesome logic. We now know why you follow so many conspiracy theories because that is what they rely upon. Convince the gullible in the crowd.
  • Options

CatMan said:

So I take it "alea jacta est" isn't a reference to the Album of an Austrian Power Metal Band?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alea_Jacta_Est

I had to give up Latin at 15 because I wanted to go to the science 4th.
    The letter "J" was very rarely used in Classical times..
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

*Raises hand*

But it depends what you mean by “rated”. He got the referendum won. He avoided a second referendum that would have been lost. He ensured a hard-ish Brexit. He turns out to have kept our lockdown as short as was ever going to be possible, albeit more by luck than judgement.

He was very useful.
    And he's trashed the Tory brand for a generation meaning I'm happy too. A little something for everyone.

Ooo I’ll have some of your benefit too. Labour hasn’t quite got there, but my dream scenario was to Brexit and then vote for “Blue Labour” governments.
  • Options

Die Hard is THE BEST CHRISTMAS FILM ever made!
  • Options

Leon said:

Was Churchill a maths whizz or a genius at quantum physics? I rather doubt it

He was great with words, he had charisma and a gift for leadership. He was bold, and a fine judge of character, he was emotionally intelligent, and he was self confident (to a fault, some would say)

I’m ignoring his flaws for this argument.

He was perfect for wartime. Sometimes you need chemists, sometimes you need warriors

I think that he used matchsticks to help count when he was Chancellor of the Exchequer?
    No, that was Home
  • Options

Batman Returns is the second-best Christmas Action film after Die Hard.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    biggles said:

kinabalu said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

*Raises hand*

He was very useful.

Ooo I’ll have some of your benefit too. Labour hasn’t quite got there, but my dream scenario was to Brexit and then vote for “Blue Labour” governments.
    Mind too. I thought Boris’s govt was a bit like that, or maybe I just hoped it would be. Covid got in the way, so we will never know

If only Sir Keir wasn’t the arch second referendum chaser, as well as being an unlikeable liar, I’d love to vote for them again. Would feel like coming home. I had to ask my parents if they’d hate me if I voted Conservative in 2019.

Bring back Ed Miliband and Maurice Glasman!

• Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Awesome logic. We now know why you follow so many conspiracy theories because that is what they rely upon. Convince the gullible in the crowd.
    “I have initiated several discussions”

That’s going to be your epitaph

Here lieth @kg whatever. Some guy. He was on pb a bit

He initiated several discussions
  • Options
    edited November 2023

I was lucky enough to tour Speaker's House recently, and the greatest sight was the official portrait of John Bercow, with a blank panel they kept in anticipation of putting his peerage there.

https://twitter.com/yuanyi_z/status/1726629176692883778

That must sting whenever he visits Parliament and sees it.

Oh wait.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

We have only had 1 PM with a science degree, Thatcher.

It isn't a requirement for the job, what is needed is top science advisers in the civil service who can break down complex scientific analysis and data in a way the PM can make a decision from it and a PM who is able to analyse complex problems and come to an effective decision from it

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Angela Merkel was a chemist by profession. Given the esteem in which she isn't held by many in here, does this invalidate the hypothesis?
    Merkel's degree was in Physics, rather than Chemistry like Thatcher but yes both were scientists
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,943
    stodge said:

More in line with last week's post-reshuffle polls before the cluster of 3 at the end of the week with much lower LLG-RefCon leads. 5 has 30+ leads, the last 3 had mid 20s leads.

By the way LLG was 60% in 1997, 59% in 2001, 58.2% in 2005 and 53% in 2010. More stable than Lab or Tory shares.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

stodge said:

So Con/Reform over 30% even if Con alone isn't
    Why do you persistently assume every Reform vote is going to go back to the Conservatives at the next election? What little polling evidence there is (from R&W) oddly enough suggested in a forced choice only 24% of Reform voters would vote for a Conservative candidate if there was no Reform candidate in their constituency. 16% would vote Labour and at least half wouldn't vote at all.

The potential shift from Reform to Conservative is therefore 2%, not 7%.

A more prescient question is or are the 2019 Conservative voters who are Don't Knows at this time. That is where you should be targeting your activities not worrying about Reform.

Tonight's R&W poll splits the 2019 Conservative vote as 55% Conservative, 16% Don't Know, 12% Labour and 7% Reform. The last time I looked, 16 was a larger number than 7 - I suspect this is the grouping being targeted by Hunt and Sunak this week not those who are now backing Reform.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,225
    isam said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

*Raises hand*

He was very useful.

Mind too. I thought Boris’s govt was a bit like that, or maybe I just hoped it would be. Covid got in the way, so we will never know

If only Sir Keir wasn’t the arch second referendum chaser, as well as being an unlikeable liar, I’d love to vote for them again. Would feel like coming home. I had to ask my parents if they’d hate me if I voted Conservative in 2019.

Lord Glasman is an interesting figure, but has been somewhat quiet of late. It would be good to hear more from him.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,400

Johnson was born in 1964, so must have done Maths O level. If you passed that you really should have a basic level of numeracy.

Isn't the basic problem that not only isn't he's crap at maths - lots of people, even highly educated ones are - and we don't need politicians to be able to grasp Fermat's Last Theorem. But that he either lacked a basic grasp of concepts even non-mathematicians should be able to pick up with a bit of a refresher from someone with that expertise, or discarded them when they didn't accord with his gut and what he wanted to be true at any given moment. Hence why he veered about all over the place rather than working out a strategy that tried to optimised the government's desired outcomes.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

eek said:

@AnasSarwar
    ·
    1h
    Tomorrow @ScottishLabour will vote for an immediate ceasefire.

And other than handwringing and virtue signalling, what will that actually achieve?

This is where Phillips was foolish last week. She sacrificed some excellent work on UK women's rights for something of no realistic benefit to the people of Gaza, because Bibi couldn't give two hoots about what some gobby Brummie thinks.
    I think in the case of Phillips and co they sacrificed a few things now for an easy election campaign come the next election
    Nothing stopping Starmer reappointing them after the election, too.
    Phillips will be back imo.

"Keir can I have a word?"
    "Sure Jess."
    "Well you know my constituency is ..."
    "You need to rebel on Gaza?"
    "I think I do. I'm getting hammered."
    "Ok. So go for it. It's fine."
    "Really?"
    "Yes. Just pop me a resignation, get yourself reelected next year and then we'll have a chat."
    "Cheers boss."
    I entirely support democracy but its bad and disappointing people feel they need to do the wrong thing to appeal to bigots in their constituency.

Jess Phillips has been until the past week long been one of my favourite Labour MPs, one of the few of that party I could respect in Corbyn's years, its a real shame to see her do what she's done this past week. Its a shame she didn't feel she could stand up to those bigots rather than kowtow to them.
    You know I don't discuss Gaza with you. Other topics are fine though. So it's nothing personal.
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Boris Johnson is history either way, I think the most relevant and concerning comment is this one actually:

Lack of science expertise in gov - Valance says 10% of the civil service fast stream have a STEM degree (90% arts/humanities) so:

"routine consideration of science in policy formulation is not where it needs to be"

That's 90% of the civil service aren't from a STEM background explains a lot really. The figure will be even higher in the media too I'm sure.

Hardly that surprising, most with a STEM background go into the City or Industry where the pay is higher than the civil service.

Most civil servants beyond say the Treasury or parts of Health and aspects of DWP don't actually need to be brilliant at science and maths, what is important though is that high quality civil servants trained in STEM subjects are recruited to those departments
    A good understanding of statistics and logic should be useful for all other than junior civil servants.
    Helpful maybe but a degree in History or international relations would probably be more useful at the FCO, in Law at the Home Office or Justice, in public administration or Medicine for Health, an MBA at Business, in Geography at Transport etc
  • Options
    edited November 2023

isam said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

*Raises hand*

He was very useful.

Lord Glasman is an interesting figure, but has been somewhat quiet of late. It would be good to hear more from him.
    Did you listen to his interview w Giles Fraser? Made a good case for left wing Brexit I seem to remember

https://youtu.be/Pa5vsa1FLKY?si=YHNOteEk1KcCm7YO
  • Options
    TimS said:

stodge said:

More in line with last week's post-reshuffle polls before the cluster of 3 at the end of the week with much lower LLG-RefCon leads. 5 has 30+ leads, the last 3 had mid 20s leads.

By the way LLG was 60% in 1997, 59% in 2001, 58.2% in 2005 and 53% in 2010. More stable than Lab or Tory shares.
    Perhaps tellingly, in those examples the liberals were eating up some of what we might have now thought the expected Tory vote. Hmm
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,547
    Off topic, but important: "Vladislav Kanyus, a young man from Kemerovo in southwestern Siberia, brutally killed his ex-girlfriend Vera Pekhteleva, torturing, suffocating and stabbing her for hours.

He was sentenced in July 2022 to 17 years after a high-profile trial that reignited a national conversation in Russia about the lack of protections against domestic violence and law enforcement indifference to such cases. But then Pekhteleva’s bereaved mother, Oksana, received a photo of Kanyus — not in prison but in a military uniform surrounded by other Russian soldiers.

Her daughter’s murderer was pardoned by President Vladimir Putin in exchange for taking up arms in Ukraine."
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/11/18/putin-pardon-criminals-murderer-ukraine/

If there is any good news in this grim story, I suppose it is that it shows how short Putin is of men willing to fight for him.
  • Options
    MJW said:

Johnson was born in 1964, so must have done Maths O level. If you passed that you really should have a basic level of numeracy.

Isn't the basic problem that not only isn't he's crap at maths - lots of people, even highly educated ones are - and we don't need politicians to be able to grasp Fermat's Last Theorem. But that he either lacked a basic grasp of concepts even non-mathematicians should be able to pick up with a bit of a refresher from someone with that expertise, or discarded them when they didn't accord with his gut and what he wanted to be true at any given moment. Hence why he veered about all over the place rather than working out a strategy that tried to optimised the government's desired outcomes.
    Lacked the humility and diligence required for an intelligent person to operate effectively in a field they're unfamiliar with.
  • Options
    Hmm. I do find it quite shocking that Boris didn’t understand “doubling times”. That’s not advanced maths

But I wonder as to the veracity of Vallance’s report. It is bound to be self serving; he also comes across as quite pig-headed and unobservant - may simply have misread Bojo
  • Options

Off topic, but important: "Vladislav Kanyus, a young man from Kemerovo in southwestern Siberia, brutally killed his ex-girlfriend Vera Pekhteleva, torturing, suffocating and stabbing her for hours.

He was sentenced in July 2022 to 17 years after a high-profile trial that reignited a national conversation in Russia about the lack of protections against domestic violence and law enforcement indifference to such cases. But then Pekhteleva’s bereaved mother, Oksana, received a photo of Kanyus — not in prison but in a military uniform surrounded by other Russian soldiers.

Her daughter’s murderer was pardoned by President Vladimir Putin in exchange for taking up arms in Ukraine."
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2023/11/18/putin-pardon-criminals-murderer-ukraine/

If there is any good news in this grim story, I suppose it is that it shows how short Putin is of men willing to fight for him.

Hopefully, he also didn’t last long.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

“I have initiated several discussions”

That’s going to be your epitaph

Here lieth @kg whatever. Some guy. He was on pb a bit

He initiated several discussions
    Lol. You had to put effort in getting my name wrong as kjh is a sequence on the keyboard.
  • Options
    The Sadiq Khan haters have been proven right after all, he's blocking a Las Vegas style sphere from London! What an outrage!

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/msg-sphere-stratford-plans-sadiq-khan-las-vegas-b1121565.html
  • Options

isam said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

*Raises hand*

He was very useful.

He’s not been quiet. He’s come out and condemned all the anti Semitism on the Left
  • Options

Penile battalions seem to have had a long history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penal_military_unit
  • Options
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Yes bit of a 'tell' that.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Boris Johnson is history either way, I think the most relevant and concerning comment is this one actually:

Lack of science expertise in gov - Valance says 10% of the civil service fast stream have a STEM degree (90% arts/humanities) so:

"routine consideration of science in policy formulation is not where it needs to be"

That's 90% of the civil service aren't from a STEM background explains a lot really. The figure will be even higher in the media too I'm sure.

Hardly that surprising, most with a STEM background go into the City or Industry where the pay is higher than the civil service.

Most civil servants beyond say the Treasury or parts of Health and aspects of DWP don't actually need to be brilliant at science and maths, what is important though is that high quality civil servants trained in STEM subjects are recruited to those departments
    A good understanding of statistics and logic should be useful for all other than junior civil servants.
    Helpful maybe but a degree in History or international relations would probably be more useful at the FCO, in Law at the Home Office or Justice, in public administration or Medicine for Health, an MBA at Business, in Geography at Transport etc
    Yep fair point. Ideally you want people who are specialists in their field, but with a basic understanding of logic and stats so they can comprehend the arguments being put to them by advisors and specialists.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Hmm. I do find it quite shocking that Boris didn’t understand “doubling times”. That’s not advanced maths

But I wonder as to the veracity of Vallance’s report. It is bound to be self serving; he also comes across as quite pig-headed and unobservant - may simply have misread Bojo

To be honest, very few people really get doubling times and exponential growth. Compound interest and whatnot.

And it's not particularly about doing the maths. It's that it doesn't match our intuition, and everyone (even boffins) operate on intuition most of the time.

See the legend of the king, the rice and the chessboard. Or the riddle about lily pads and a pond.
  • Options

Leon said:

To be honest, very few people really get doubling times and exponential growth. Compound interest and whatnot.

And it's not particularly about doing the maths. It's that it doesn't match our intuition, and everyone (even boffins) operate on intuition most of the time.
    Ponzi schemes offering guaranteed 2% weekly returns and the like rely on it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The Sadiq Khan haters have been proven right after all, he's blocking a Las Vegas style sphere from London! What an outrage!

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/msg-sphere-stratford-plans-sadiq-khan-las-vegas-b1121565.html

It may not be popular with some on here but it will be popular in Newham and around Stratford where the two Green Councillors have been working hard in opposition. The Greens have a real chance of chasing home Labour at the next election and while this week's by-election in Plaistow North probably isn't their best territory, the Green will probably outpoll both the LD and Conservativer candidates.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,473
    edited November 2023
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Fairly bad news for the Back Rishi Crew, too:

The “good innings” and “lack of leadership” extract from Vallance’s diary shown to the Covid inquiry (see 3.05pm) also quotes Vallance quoting Dominic Cummings (DC), the PM’s chief adviser at the time, saying, “Rishi [Sunak] thinks just let people die and that’s okay.”

This was 25 October 2020. Sunak was chancellor at the time.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2023/nov/20/pensioners-winter-fuel-payments-autumn-statement-rishi-sunak-patrick-vallance-covid-inquiry-david-cameron-keir-starmer-michael-gove-david-lammy-uk-politics-latest

Vallance is deeply implicated in the conspiracy - for that is what it was - to silence debate around the possibility of “lab leak”. To make it socially impermissible to discuss. They did this to protect the poor virologists, and the future of science, and relations with China

He deserves zero respect
    Oh no, not the lab leak again. And all after holiday snaps, Liz Truss's S&M necklace, "what three words" and AI.

Today we celebrate all of Leon's greatest hits. A bit like Leon's version of the Beatles Red and Blue albums.
    The weird thing is, you all know my tracks. My greatest hits. See @kjh above

Yet I can’t name any of yours. Not one. And I bet no one else can, either

You are like formless shades in an ether, you come and go and no one cares, and when you are gone no one will notice

No because I, for a post or two stick to the topic and then go wildly off piste, but mainly in response to another poster's deviation from topic. I don't hijack the thread.

You do of course recall my main PB pet hate. Barstewards using autism as a casual slur. I f*****' hate that.

But, yes other than that I try to keep my idiosyncrasies to myself.

Edit. Oh yes, and having been to a grammar school, I f****' hate grammar schools too.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Leon said:

See the legend of the king, the rice and the chessboard. Or the riddle about lily pads and a pond.
    I was going to post the same. Another example is the number of g g g g ... grandparents you have once you get back to the years 1800, 1500, 800 etc.

And understanding weight change when linear measures change eg cat, human, elephant and explaining why fleas can jump high, cats don't break their legs when jumping boff a high wall, etc, etc
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

The “good innings” and “lack of leadership” extract from Vallance’s diary shown to the Covid inquiry (see 3.05pm) also quotes Vallance quoting Dominic Cummings (DC), the PM’s chief adviser at the time, saying, “Rishi [Sunak] thinks just let people die and that’s okay.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2023/nov/20/pensioners-winter-fuel-payments-autumn-statement-rishi-sunak-patrick-vallance-covid-inquiry-david-cameron-keir-starmer-michael-gove-david-lammy-uk-politics-latest

Vallance is deeply implicated in the conspiracy - for that is what it was - to silence debate around the possibility of “lab leak”. To make it socially impermissible to discuss. They did this to protect the poor virologists, and the future of science, and relations with China

He deserves zero respect
    Oh no, not the lab leak again. And all after holiday snaps, Liz Truss's S&M necklace, "what three words" and AI.

Today we celebrate all of Leon's greatest hits. A bit like Leon's version of the Beatles Red and Blue albums.

You are like formless shades in an ether, you come and go and no one cares, and when you are gone no one will notice

No because I, for a post or two stick to the topic and then go wildly off piste, but mainly in response to another poster's deviation from topic. I don't hijack the thread.

You do of course recall my main PB pet hate. Barstewards using autism as a casual slur. I f*****' hate that.

Edit. Oh yes, and grammar schools. I f****' hate grammar schools too.
    Another phrase for “hijacking a thread” is “saying something interesting that people want to talk about”

That’s all it is. There is no rule about staying on topic. PB would be unreadable if there was. The joy of this splendid forum is the ceaseless variety. The glory of the garden. And long may it remain so - and all credit to the moderators for keeping it diverse - and using such a light touch

An off topic comment will only “hijack a thread” if others find it engaging and diverting - so maybe you and @kjh could try that tactic and get your own back. Be engaging and diverting. It is, after all, always good to try new things?
  • Options
    stodge said:

kle4 said:

It may not be popular with some on here but it will be popular in Newham and around Stratford where the two Green Councillors have been working hard in opposition. The Greens have a real chance of chasing home Labour at the next election and while this week's by-election in Plaistow North probably isn't their best territory, the Green will probably outpoll both the LD and Conservativer candidates.
    Who has ended up moving into the old Olympic Park flats?

Is it be natural green voters, priced out of Hackney? Or is it normal voters who don't have a collective memory of Labour Always Wins?

(There's something a bit similar further east. Some of Labour's best results in Havering were in the new build areas where there was less memory of the usual local madness.)
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,371
    Can we stop the @Leon pile-on now? The poor guy is like a kid in a room full of adults trying to impress and should be treated accordingly. I think he does very well in spite of everything.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,070
    Anyone else think this sounds awfully like Michael Crick questioning Richard Nixon at the Oxford Union in 1978?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnMY9y_iwlY
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

He deserves zero respect

Another phrase for “hijacking a thread” is “saying something interesting that people want to talk about”

That’s all it is. There is no rule about staying on topic. PB would be unreadable if there was. The joy of this splendid forum is the ceaseless variety. The glory of the garden. And long may it remain so - and all credit to the moderators for keeping it diverse - and using such a light touch

An off topic comment will only “hijack a thread” if others find it engaging and diverting - so maybe you and @kjh could try that tactic and get your own back. Be engaging and diverting. It is, after all, always good to try new things?
    I have better things to do than post here endlessly. I have a life outside of PB much as I enjoy it.
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,547
    Off topic, but also important: 'A Senate panel announced Monday it subpoenaed the CEOs of Elon Musk’s X, Discord and Snap to testify at a hearing on children’s online safety next month after “repeated refusals” by the tech companies to cooperate with its investigation into the matter.
    . . .
    The committee said that in a “remarkable departure from typical practice,” it had to “enlist the assistance of the U.S. Marshals Service to personally serve the subpoenas” to the CEOs of Discord and X, formerly Twitter, after their chief executives “further refused to cooperate.”

The hearing is set to focus on child sexual exploitation online.'

(Other tech executives had already agreed to testify, however reluctantly, in this biapartisan investigation.)
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

He deserves zero respect

One poster's "saying something interesting that other people want to talk about " is another poster's vision of mind- numbing drear-fest Purgatory.

Thank you for the invitation but I have no desire to hijack a thread. No one wants to read my s**** anyway.

P.S. I've fallen into your trap haven't I? I'm talking about you. Damn!
  • Options

kinabalu said:

eek said:

@AnasSarwar
    ·
    1h

And other than handwringing and virtue signalling, what will that actually achieve?

This is where Phillips was foolish last week. She sacrificed some excellent work on UK women's rights for something of no realistic benefit to the people of Gaza, because Bibi couldn't give two hoots about what some gobby Brummie thinks.
    I think in the case of Phillips and co they sacrificed a few things now for an easy election campaign come the next election

"Sure Jess."
    "Really?"
    "Yes. Just pop me a resignation, get yourself reelected next year and then we'll have a chat."
    "Cheers boss."
    I entirely support democracy but its bad and disappointing people feel they need to do the wrong thing to appeal to bigots in their constituency.

Jess Phillips has been until the past week long been one of my favourite Labour MPs, one of the few of that party I could respect in Corbyn's years, its a real shame to see her do what she's done this past week. Its a shame she didn't feel she could stand up to those bigots rather than kowtow to them.
    The sheer arrogance of this post is astounding.

You have a firm view on the Israeli action in Gaza that you have shared repeatedly. I am sure your view is sincerely held and I respect it.

Is it not possible that Phillips also has a sincere view that is different to yours?

No, you assume that your view is the only possible view to hold and that Phillips must therefore be deliberately compromising her principles and kowtowing to bigots in her constituency.

Arrogance.
    It might be correct, it might not be - is this the only occasion people cannot speculate that a politician might be acting with different motivations than they state publicly? I feel pretty confident it happens a lot.

I've no idea of Phillips' motivations, but given bartholmew's own position he might well think less of her if she is sincere.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Can we stop the @Leon pile-on now? The poor guy is like a kid in a room full of adults trying to impress and should be treated accordingly. I think he does very well in spite of everything.

lol. I really don’t need defending!

What I do need is sleep. My Gazette editor has emailed and they want 1200 words on Neolithic Khmer sex gizmos by noon tomorrow. So I must refresh my brain

Night night

• Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

What I do need is sleep. My Gazette editor has emailed and they want 1200 words on Neolithic Khmer sex gizmos by noon tomorrow. So I must refresh my brain

Night night
    You might want to recharge your irony detection meters overnight too!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

Keir Starmer 43% (+2)
    Rishi Sunak 28% (-3)

Changes +/- 12 Nov

Also striking that Sunak's rating is down while the "competency" (competence?) rating is markedly up (+6). People feeling that they may not like Cameron but he's competent?
  • Options
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Night night

You see! So brave despite it all.
  • Options
    Leon said:

DougSeal said:

Night night

(I think that might have gone over his head)
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,779
    edited November 2023

Leon said:

Isn't the problem that reality is grainier than the maths? For example, the lily pads will only double in area if they're evenly distributed across the pond. Otherwise they'll pile up in a heap in a corner around the first one. Similarly with Covid. Just because it doubled from Monday to Wednesday doesn't mean it will double again by Friday. People are clustered in groups, sitting at home, not running around freely looking for innocent victims to infect. It's like simplistic economic theory: we all know how we're expected to behave in a marginal situation, but we also know that lots of people don't. Politicians, for all their innumeracy, are inherently sceptical about plausibly simple theories. Or, at least, they ought to be.
  • Options

Penile battalions seem to have had a long history:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penal_military_unit
    Fnar, fnar
  • Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 951
    Leon said:

He deserves zero respect
    Rather like Cummings, whilst one may have limited respect for Vallance, that doesn't mean he hasn't got interesting things to say, or relevant notes from the time.

Incidentally, I had some rather tedious filing to do so listened to most of the 2-3 hour interview with Cummings someone posted yesterday. Fascinating - his analysis of the problems of Whitehall is spot on, but his only solution being to burn the system to the ground and run everything via super-bright young things recruited from startups seems rather less practical.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,220
    "Footage of Houthi forces hijacking the ship Galaxy Leader in the Red Sea yesterday."

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1726641686309400988

Piracy using helicopters...

The ship is apparently Japanese-operated, British-owned. The hijackers claim it is Israeli...
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162
    Leon said:

Leon said:

He deserves zero respect

Personally I measure my worth by other things than whether I am remembered on an internet blog

• Options
    Football... must... have... football...
  • Options
    isam said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

*Raises hand*

He was very useful.

Your 2nd ref point is strong and authentic. A committed leaver such as yourself is entitled to hold that grudge against SKS until their dying day.

But the point about lying, no, you don't really feel that. You can't feel that because as a Boris Johnson supporter you by definition have a high tolerance for mendacity in politics.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

@AnasSarwar
    ·
    1h

They want a cessation of hostilities against Michael Matheson?
    It's also notably asn example of Slab trying to adopt SNP policies to survive, and **** the Union (at least where the Labour Party is concerned) and SKS.

As there is n o separate Scottish Labour Party in reality (vide EC), this means that a large province of the Labour Party is declaring rebellion under its uneasy satrap. Yet the money is still controlled from London.

Doublethink.
    bunch of useless arse licking sockpuppets.
    So what do you really think?

• Options
    Cookie said:

I'm not denying that Boris isn't exactly God's gift to hard science, but the testimony of Patrick Vallance - who hardly covered himself in glory in the pandemic with his grasp of the modelling - isn't actually as damning as all that.
    When we get the views of someone who actually called some of it right, it'll be worth listening to.

So when is St. Boris (the man who got ALL the big calls right) giving what we might casually call "evidence"?
  • Options
    stodge said:

By the way, next Conservative poll at 30% or higher, NOT tonight with Redfield & Wilton.

An obvious outlier. I suspect we can ignore it, unlike Opinium, the gold standard.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I dont' think politicians should need to be a maths wizz to be on the front benches, they don't need to have demonstrable experience in that field, but I do think they need to have a good level of comprehension of economic and financial matters, and so develop those skills if they want to hold serious posts. You might not get a post in the Treasury but collectively ministers need to be at least a little financially savvy.

It's why I could not be an MP, as I simply find economic matters very hard to grasp even when explained to me, and despite all the other roles an MP has I think they should, with a bit of effort, understand that sort of thing.

Of course, they often make believe they don't understand things like the deficit or debt, so it is hard to judge.

A shoutout for the Politics, Philosophy and ECONOMICS degree then?
    To a point, Lord Copper. Students can drop economics completely after the first year, before the hard sums start.
    https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/philosophy-politics-and-economics
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,049

Cookie said:

I'm not denying that Boris isn't exactly God's gift to hard science, but the testimony of Patrick Vallance - who hardly covered himself in glory in the pandemic with his grasp of the modelling - isn't actually as damning as all that.
    When we get the views of someone who actually called some of it right, it'll be worth listening to.

So when is St. Boris (the man who got ALL the big calls right) giving what we might casually call "evidence"?
    Given that Boris is a psittacus mortuus politically, the most telling comment from today’s evidence was “DC says ‘Rishi thinks just let people die and that’s okay’.

“This all feels like a complete lack of leadership.”
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,405

kinabalu said:

eek said:

@AnasSarwar
    ·
    1h

"Sure Jess."
    "Really?"
    "Cheers boss."

Isn’t it terrible when one’s heroes don’t quite live up to expectations. Very sad.
  • Options

The Muppet Christmas Carol is the best Christmas film without a gunfight.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,049

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I dont' think politicians should need to be a maths wizz to be on the front benches, they don't need to have demonstrable experience in that field, but I do think they need to have a good level of comprehension of economic and financial matters, and so develop those skills if they want to hold serious posts. You might not get a post in the Treasury but collectively ministers need to be at least a little financially savvy.

It's why I could not be an MP, as I simply find economic matters very hard to grasp even when explained to me, and despite all the other roles an MP has I think they should, with a bit of effort, understand that sort of thing.

Of course, they often make believe they don't understand things like the deficit or debt, so it is hard to judge.

A shoutout for the Politics, Philosophy and ECONOMICS degree then?
    To a point, Lord Copper. Students can drop economics completely after the first year, before the hard sums start.
    https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/course-listing/philosophy-politics-and-economics
    Basic economics. Supply and demand. We have had an oversupply of Conservative leaders, and insufficient demand.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,143
    edited November 2023

Anyone else think this sounds awfully like Michael Crick questioning Richard Nixon at the Oxford Union in 1978?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnMY9y_iwlY

Yes, I think it could be him. Well spotted.

Edit: it is indeed him, if one of the comments is to be believed. He would have been 20 at the time. 30th November 1978.
  • Options

North Macedonia (wherever that is) to the rescue!
  • Options

"Footage of Houthi forces hijacking the ship Galaxy Leader in the Red Sea yesterday."

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1726641686309400988

Piracy using helicopters...

The ship is apparently Japanese-operated, British-owned. The hijackers claim it is Israeli...

Half the Royal Navy in the general area and no-one remembered the Houthis?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    The characterisation of letting people die showing no leadership is incorrect. Not having another lockdown would have been the tough decision and would have been extremely brave of the government and it would have required extraordinary leadership to actually do it. In the end Boris chose the easy option and bankrupted the nation so that a few over 80s could extend their lives by another few months.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

*Raises hand*

He was very useful.

Your 2nd ref point is strong and authentic. A committed leaver such as yourself is entitled to hold that grudge against SKS until their dying day.

But the point about lying, no, you don't really feel that. You can't feel that because as a Boris Johnson supporter you by definition have a high tolerance for mendacity in politics.
    Seems strange, but the difference is that it was factored in with Boris - we knew he had form for lying, and that was the rough to his kind of devil may care smooth; he was a bounder and we knew it.

With Sir Keir, he has built a reputation as honest, loyal, quite pious in tone… but is as bigger liar in his political life as Boris. Aside from the leadership pledge lies & the Brexit snideyness, the ‘men can have a cervix’/oh no they can’t, the vegetarianism when he eats animals, the knighthood when he said he was a Republican; it’s all so… I can’t thinking the word… annoying! Just 100% the kind of person I don’t like in life

• Options

North Macedonia (wherever that is) to the rescue!
    I seem to dimly recall that N Macedonia was rated by @Leon as having the most attractive women in the world plus stunning scenery.

But I confess I could have mis-remembered.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,584
    edited November 2023

The Muppet Christmas Carol is the best Christmas film without a gunfight.
    Can't we move the dial and debate N Year films?

The Apartment wins hands down imho.

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,797
    rcs1000 said:

theProle said:

Leon said:

He deserves zero respect
    Rather like Cummings, whilst one may have limited respect for Vallance, that doesn't mean he hasn't got interesting things to say, or relevant notes from the time.

Incidentally, I had some rather tedious filing to do so listened to most of the 2-3 hour interview with Cummings someone posted yesterday. Fascinating - his analysis of the problems of Whitehall is spot on, but his only solution being to burn the system to the ground and run everything via super-bright young things recruited from startups seems rather less practical.
    The one thing I've learned from many years of business is that revolutions are usually an absolute disaster. (I am often temped to short any company that trumpets anything as transformative.)

You get from A to B by a process of rapid, small iterations*.

And if something doesn't work, you reverse it.

Human beings are very bad at being able to foresee the results of actions. So the more you bundle into any particular change, the more likely it is to go wrong.

Not only that, but by making changes small, you minimize the likelihood and severity of organizational opposition. And you also make it much more likely that changes stick.

This is true of climate change mitigation (and which is why Extinction Rebellion and the like are self defeating) and change inside organizations like the civil service.

* I hate to say it, but this is what SpaceX does.
    Yup - nearly all Big Bang projects fail.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

theProle said:

Leon said:

He deserves zero respect

The one thing I've learned from many years of business is that revolutions are usually an absolute disaster. (I am often temped to short any company that trumpets anything as transformative.)

Human beings are very bad at being able to foresee the results of actions. So the more you bundle into any particular change, the more likely it is to go wrong.

Not only that, but by making changes small, you minimize the likelihood and severity of organizational opposition. And you also make it much more likely that changes stick.

This is true of climate change mitigation (and which is why Extinction Rebellion and the like are self defeating) and change inside organizations like the civil service.

Wise words.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

rcs1000 said:

theProle said:

Leon said:

He deserves zero respect

Although they sometimes point and pave the way.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    MaxPB said:

The characterisation of letting people die showing no leadership is incorrect. Not having another lockdown would have been the tough decision and would have been extremely brave of the government and it would have required extraordinary leadership to actually do it. In the end Boris chose the easy option and bankrupted the nation so that a few over 80s could extend their lives by another few months.

I suspect Max you are a couple of decades behind me, so were a much lower risk group than someone like myself who was then in my mid/late fifties, and at a reasonably high risk of succumbing to COVID had I caught the virus.

If it meant I survived the pandemic bring on bankrupting the country.

Of course, some of the braver members of our community who, now the panic is over are blase about lockdowns, barricaded themselves in a hermetically sealed basement in Penarth for the duration.

Edit. Of course Sunak was also a young man at the time. So it's no wonder he was quite comfortable to see old scumbags like me drop off the perch. With all due respect that is not "leadership".
  • Options

MaxPB said:

I suspect Max you are a couple of decades behind me, so were a much lower risk group than someone like myself who was then in my mid/late fifties, and at a reasonably high risk of succumbing to COVID had I caught the virus.

If it meant I survived the pandemic bring on bankrupting the country.

Of course, some of the braver members of our community who, now the panic is over are blase about lockdowns, barricaded themselves in a hermetically sealed basement in Penarth for the duration.
    Another pandemic is almost a certainty so we need a much better answer than that next time.

Bankrupting the country would also cost a huge number of lives and livelihoods.

We're still struggling with the fallout from the last one.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,671
    Leon said:

There's a valuable aphorism along the lines of 'If you can't explain a concept successfully to a layman, you either don't understand it yourself, or you don't want them to understand it.'. Perhaps Vallance didn't understand the science himself, and that's why he failed to explain it.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,797
    kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

theProle said:

Leon said:

He deserves zero respect

Although they sometimes point and pave the way.
    Go The Otherway, mostly.
  • Options
    Sunak and politics 101.

Dont plan to do major economic speech on day Vallance rocks up at Covid gig to say Boris could not understand a basic graph.

• Options
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

*Raises hand*

He was very useful.

Seems strange, but the difference is that it was factored in with Boris - we knew he had form for lying, and that was the rough to his kind of devil may care smooth; he was a bounder and we knew it.

With Sir Keir, he has built a reputation as honest, loyal, quite pious in tone… but is as bigger liar in his political life as Boris. Aside from the leadership pledge lies & the Brexit snideyness, the ‘men can have a cervix’/oh no they can’t, the vegetarianism when he eats animals, the knighthood when he said he was a Republican; it’s all so… I can’t thinking the word… annoying! Just 100% the kind of person I don’t like in life
    You talk of Boris as if you loved him and so could forgive all his foibles. That's what 'factored in' really means.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,989

Sunak and politics 101.

Dont plan to do major economic speech on day Vallance rocks up at Covid gig to say Boris could not understand a basic graph.

It wasn't a basic graph. It had more than one line on it. In different colours too. Sheesh - give the guy some credit.
This discussion has been closed.