Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Bad news for the we want Boris back crew – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,471

MaxPB said:

The characterisation of letting people die showing no leadership is incorrect. Not having another lockdown would have been the tough decision and would have been extremely brave of the government and it would have required extraordinary leadership to actually do it. In the end Boris chose the easy option and bankrupted the nation so that a few over 80s could extend their lives by another few months.

I suspect Max you are a couple of decades behind me, so were a much lower risk group than someone like myself who was then in my mid/late fifties, and at a reasonably high risk of succumbing to COVID had I caught the virus.

If it meant I survived the pandemic bring on bankrupting the country.

Of course, some of the braver members of our community who, now the panic is over are blase about lockdowns, barricaded themselves in a hermetically sealed basement in Penarth for the duration.
    Another pandemic is almost a certainty so we need a much better answer than that next time.

Bankrupting the country would also cost a huge number of lives and livelihoods.

We're still struggling with the fallout from the last one.
    Well apparently those politicians who got all the big call right jettisoned the pandemic reaction plan in 2016. I suspect we are probably in a position to react more positively if there is a next time.

Although some of the key features which could mitigate economic inactivity through lost days from more mundane contagious diseases, like the common cold and post vaccination COVID strains, could have been encouraged by Government such as stringent personal hygiene, the use of masks and hand gels available in every public use building. That sort of behaviour isn't even encouraged in hospital. And to be clear, if you're not wearing your mask, neither am I.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,976

rcs1000 said:

theProle said:

Leon said:

Fairly bad news for the Back Rishi Crew, too:

The “good innings” and “lack of leadership” extract from Vallance’s diary shown to the Covid inquiry (see 3.05pm) also quotes Vallance quoting Dominic Cummings (DC), the PM’s chief adviser at the time, saying, “Rishi [Sunak] thinks just let people die and that’s okay.”

This was 25 October 2020. Sunak was chancellor at the time.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2023/nov/20/pensioners-winter-fuel-payments-autumn-statement-rishi-sunak-patrick-vallance-covid-inquiry-david-cameron-keir-starmer-michael-gove-david-lammy-uk-politics-latest

Vallance is deeply implicated in the conspiracy - for that is what it was - to silence debate around the possibility of “lab leak”. To make it socially impermissible to discuss. They did this to protect the poor virologists, and the future of science, and relations with China

He deserves zero respect
    Rather like Cummings, whilst one may have limited respect for Vallance, that doesn't mean he hasn't got interesting things to say, or relevant notes from the time.

Incidentally, I had some rather tedious filing to do so listened to most of the 2-3 hour interview with Cummings someone posted yesterday. Fascinating - his analysis of the problems of Whitehall is spot on, but his only solution being to burn the system to the ground and run everything via super-bright young things recruited from startups seems rather less practical.
    The one thing I've learned from many years of business is that revolutions are usually an absolute disaster. (I am often temped to short any company that trumpets anything as transformative.)

You get from A to B by a process of rapid, small iterations*.

And if something doesn't work, you reverse it.

Human beings are very bad at being able to foresee the results of actions. So the more you bundle into any particular change, the more likely it is to go wrong.

Not only that, but by making changes small, you minimize the likelihood and severity of organizational opposition. And you also make it much more likely that changes stick.

This is true of climate change mitigation (and which is why Extinction Rebellion and the like are self defeating) and change inside organizations like the civil service.

* I hate to say it, but this is what SpaceX does.
    Yup - nearly all Big Bang projects fail.
    Well, Argentina is going for it.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,921
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

I'd be interested in the overlap between people who rated Boris Johnson and people with a Maths A level at B or above. Quite small I'd imagine.

*Raises hand*

But it depends what you mean by “rated”. He got the referendum won. He avoided a second referendum that would have been lost. He ensured a hard-ish Brexit. He turns out to have kept our lockdown as short as was ever going to be possible, albeit more by luck than judgement.

He was very useful.
    And he's trashed the Tory brand for a generation meaning I'm happy too. A little something for everyone.

Edit: Well done on that Maths.
    Ooo I’ll have some of your benefit too. Labour hasn’t quite got there, but my dream scenario was to Brexit and then vote for “Blue Labour” governments.
    Mind too. I thought Boris’s govt was a bit like that, or maybe I just hoped it would be. Covid got in the way, so we will never know

If only Sir Keir wasn’t the arch second referendum chaser, as well as being an unlikeable liar, I’d love to vote for them again. Would feel like coming home. I had to ask my parents if they’d hate me if I voted Conservative in 2019.

Bring back Ed Miliband and Maurice Glasman!
    Your 2nd ref point is strong and authentic. A committed leaver such as yourself is entitled to hold that grudge against SKS until their dying day.

But the point about lying, no, you don't really feel that. You can't feel that because as a Boris Johnson supporter you by definition have a high tolerance for mendacity in politics.
    Seems strange, but the difference is that it was factored in with Boris - we knew he had form for lying, and that was the rough to his kind of devil may care smooth; he was a bounder and we knew it.

With Sir Keir, he has built a reputation as honest, loyal, quite pious in tone… but is as bigger liar in his political life as Boris. Aside from the leadership pledge lies & the Brexit snideyness, the ‘men can have a cervix’/oh no they can’t, the vegetarianism when he eats animals, the knighthood when he said he was a Republican; it’s all so… I can’t thinking the word… annoying! Just 100% the kind of person I don’t like in life
    You talk of Boris as if you loved him and so could forgive all his foibles. That's what 'factored in' really means.
    At the same time the slightest "transgression" from Starmer is used as a stick with which to beat him. There's almost a dossier of this seeming hypocrisy yet we are to believe Boris has never been a liar, hypocite or undermined the position of a previous Party leader.

It's a view...
  • Options
    Meanwhile in Macedonia. FFS!
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I dont' think politicians should need to be a maths wizz to be on the front benches, they don't need to have demonstrable experience in that field, but I do think they need to have a good level of comprehension of economic and financial matters, and so develop those skills if they want to hold serious posts. You might not get a post in the Treasury but collectively ministers need to be at least a little financially savvy.

It's why I could not be an MP, as I simply find economic matters very hard to grasp even when explained to me, and despite all the other roles an MP has I think they should, with a bit of effort, understand that sort of thing.

Of course, they often make believe they don't understand things like the deficit or debt, so it is hard to judge.

A shoutout for the Politics, Philosophy and ECONOMICS degree then?
    The first P stands for Philosophy.

(The second for Pedantry.)
    Alphabetically “Pedantry” comes first
  • Options

They should have had a penalty earlier for Maguire's magic.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

eek said:

@AnasSarwar
    ·
    1h
    Tomorrow @ScottishLabour will vote for an immediate ceasefire.

And other than handwringing and virtue signalling, what will that actually achieve?

This is where Phillips was foolish last week. She sacrificed some excellent work on UK women's rights for something of no realistic benefit to the people of Gaza, because Bibi couldn't give two hoots about what some gobby Brummie thinks.
    I think in the case of Phillips and co they sacrificed a few things now for an easy election campaign come the next election
    Nothing stopping Starmer reappointing them after the election, too.
    Phillips will be back imo.

"Keir can I have a word?"
    "Sure Jess."
    "Well you know my constituency is ..."
    "You need to rebel on Gaza?"
    "I think I do. I'm getting hammered."
    "Ok. So go for it. It's fine."
    "Really?"
    "Yes. Just pop me a resignation, get yourself reelected next year and then we'll have a chat."
    "Cheers boss."
    I entirely support democracy but its bad and disappointing people feel they need to do the wrong thing to appeal to bigots in their constituency.

Jess Phillips has been until the past week long been one of my favourite Labour MPs, one of the few of that party I could respect in Corbyn's years, its a real shame to see her do what she's done this past week. Its a shame she didn't feel she could stand up to those bigots rather than kowtow to them.
    The sheer arrogance of this post is astounding.

You have a firm view on the Israeli action in Gaza that you have shared repeatedly. I am sure your view is sincerely held and I respect it.

Is it not possible that Phillips also has a sincere view that is different to yours?

No, you assume that your view is the only possible view to hold and that Phillips must therefore be deliberately compromising her principles and kowtowing to bigots in her constituency.

Arrogance.
    Now just wait one second. Perhaps you may want to re-read the post I was responding to, which would have been visible to you, before you respond to me in that way.

"Sure Jess."
    "Really?"
    "Yes. Just pop me a resignation, get yourself reelected next year and then we'll have a chat."
    "Cheers boss."

If Jess Phillips is being sincere here in throwing in her lot with Richard Burgon etc then I would feel less of her (as kle4 suggested) but for a totally different reason.

As it happens, I think @kinabalu hit the nail on the head and that is her reason for acting that way. Which as I said, is disreputable, but happens in democracies.

But if you want to have a go at someone for insinuating that she is insincere, it wasn't me that started that train of thought.
  • Options

Ooops!
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,547
    edited November 2023
    Because "The Wisdom of Crowds" is sometimes misunderstood, I thought I should provide this very brief review of when it works:
    "1. It is possible to describe how people in a group think as a whole.
    2. In some cases, groups are remarkably intelligent and are often smarter than the smartest people in them.
    3.The three conditions for a group to be intelligent are diversity, independence, and decentralization.'
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wisdom_of_Crowds

There is more, but the most important condition is probably independence. The title of the original book is somewhat misleading, since real crowds (or even, these days, internet crowds) almost always weaken, or even destroy, independence.

I was a little surprised by some earlier comments, since I thought the requirement for independence was understood by most educated people.

(Military experts may want to correct me on this, but I believe some militaries, before making a command decision, poll their officers -- beginning with the most junior, and working up to the most senior. This is another way of achieving some degree of independence.)
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,049
    ohnotnow said:

Sunak and politics 101.

Dont plan to do major economic speech on day Vallance rocks up at Covid gig to say Boris could not understand a basic graph.

It wasn't a basic graph. It had more than one line on it. In different colours too. Sheesh - give the guy some credit.
    Boris had previously been totally confused by Lib Dem graphs.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,100
    edited November 2023
    Who do you believe Mr I do not recall, or Patrick Vallance .

• Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

I dont' think politicians should need to be a maths wizz to be on the front benches, they don't need to have demonstrable experience in that field, but I do think they need to have a good level of comprehension of economic and financial matters, and so develop those skills if they want to hold serious posts. You might not get a post in the Treasury but collectively ministers need to be at least a little financially savvy.

It's why I could not be an MP, as I simply find economic matters very hard to grasp even when explained to me, and despite all the other roles an MP has I think they should, with a bit of effort, understand that sort of thing.

Of course, they often make believe they don't understand things like the deficit or debt, so it is hard to judge.

Pedant!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,779
    Foxy said:

rcs1000 said:

theProle said:

Leon said:

Fairly bad news for the Back Rishi Crew, too:

The “good innings” and “lack of leadership” extract from Vallance’s diary shown to the Covid inquiry (see 3.05pm) also quotes Vallance quoting Dominic Cummings (DC), the PM’s chief adviser at the time, saying, “Rishi [Sunak] thinks just let people die and that’s okay.”

This was 25 October 2020. Sunak was chancellor at the time.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2023/nov/20/pensioners-winter-fuel-payments-autumn-statement-rishi-sunak-patrick-vallance-covid-inquiry-david-cameron-keir-starmer-michael-gove-david-lammy-uk-politics-latest

Vallance is deeply implicated in the conspiracy - for that is what it was - to silence debate around the possibility of “lab leak”. To make it socially impermissible to discuss. They did this to protect the poor virologists, and the future of science, and relations with China

He deserves zero respect
    Rather like Cummings, whilst one may have limited respect for Vallance, that doesn't mean he hasn't got interesting things to say, or relevant notes from the time.

Incidentally, I had some rather tedious filing to do so listened to most of the 2-3 hour interview with Cummings someone posted yesterday. Fascinating - his analysis of the problems of Whitehall is spot on, but his only solution being to burn the system to the ground and run everything via super-bright young things recruited from startups seems rather less practical.
    The one thing I've learned from many years of business is that revolutions are usually an absolute disaster. (I am often temped to short any company that trumpets anything as transformative.)

You get from A to B by a process of rapid, small iterations*.

And if something doesn't work, you reverse it.

Human beings are very bad at being able to foresee the results of actions. So the more you bundle into any particular change, the more likely it is to go wrong.

Not only that, but by making changes small, you minimize the likelihood and severity of organizational opposition. And you also make it much more likely that changes stick.

This is true of climate change mitigation (and which is why Extinction Rebellion and the like are self defeating) and change inside organizations like the civil service.

* I hate to say it, but this is what SpaceX does.
    Yup - nearly all Big Bang projects fail.
    Well, Argentina is going for it.
    I could also... restructure... Argentina radically. A few nanoseconds is all it would take. It would certainly sweep away the old order.

Not sure how many Argentines would survive the process, but hey....
  • Options

ohnotnow said:

Sunak and politics 101.

Dont plan to do major economic speech on day Vallance rocks up at Covid gig to say Boris could not understand a basic graph.

It wasn't a basic graph. It had more than one line on it. In different colours too. Sheesh - give the guy some credit.
    Boris had previously been totally confused by Lib Dem graphs.
    To be fair, Lib Dem bar charts confuse many Lib Dems.
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,162

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Pedant!
    Sigh.

That was sort of the point…
  • Options
    edited November 2023

I've just seen the Maguire "penalty", and I don't believe that is a penalty either. But then I grew up in the era of Nobby Stiles, Johnny Giles, Big Jack, Norman Hunter, Alan Ball, Bryan Kidd, Kenny Burns, Chopper Harris, and my personal favourite Paddy Mulligan. With today's propensity for referees handing out penalties, every match would finish 45 all with those fellows playing, and all penalty goals.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Pedant!
    Sigh.

That was sort of the point…
    Oh dear, dear, dear. Take some irony pills!
  • Options
    Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,547
    There's good news from Kemmerer, Wyoming: The small town is beginning to have faith in Bill Gates's promise to build a nuclear reactor there, which will provide jobs to replace the town's dwindling coal jobs.
    "But in a community idling in the latter half of its latest boom-bust cycle, misgivings have taken a back seat to optimism — and a dawning acceptance that a region built on coal, oil and gas may have little choice but to embrace a new identity. Amid empty downtown storefronts, a chic mercantile is about to open and a new coffee shop churns out lattes. Worn bungalows are selling quickly. A housing development is in the works."
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/11/20/kemmerer-wyoming-coal-nuclear-bill-gates/ (I like the article's picture of the four deer crossing a main road in the town.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kemmerer,_Wyoming

(One more thing to blame "Czar" Putin for. The plant was originally going to use fuel from recycled Russian nuclear weapons. Now that is no longer available, it will have to find sources here in the uS, which will delay the starting time two years.)
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,715

Leon said:

Hmm. I do find it quite shocking that Boris didn’t understand “doubling times”. That’s not advanced maths

But I wonder as to the veracity of Vallance’s report. It is bound to be self serving; he also comes across as quite pig-headed and unobservant - may simply have misread Bojo

There's a valuable aphorism along the lines of 'If you can't explain a concept successfully to a layman, you either don't understand it yourself, or you don't want them to understand it.'. Perhaps Vallance didn't understand the science himself, and that's why he failed to explain it.
    Well that is nonsense isn't it. My son tries to explain quantum computing to me, plus lots of other stuff and I have a maths degree but I don't get it. There is loads of maths and physics I just couldn't explain to a layman because it isn't that simple. Loads of people just can't get their head around calculus, not even the most basic concept. Just the idea to some of imaginary numbers is beyond comprehension for most people.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,139
    MaxPB said:

The characterisation of letting people die showing no leadership is incorrect. Not having another lockdown would have been the tough decision and would have been extremely brave of the government and it would have required extraordinary leadership to actually do it. In the end Boris chose the easy option and bankrupted the nation so that a few over 80s could extend their lives by another few months.

I still don't understand why people in vulnerable categories couldn't have been told to stay at home, while people not in vulnerable categories could carry on as normal.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,671
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Hmm. I do find it quite shocking that Boris didn’t understand “doubling times”. That’s not advanced maths

But I wonder as to the veracity of Vallance’s report. It is bound to be self serving; he also comes across as quite pig-headed and unobservant - may simply have misread Bojo

There's a valuable aphorism along the lines of 'If you can't explain a concept successfully to a layman, you either don't understand it yourself, or you don't want them to understand it.'. Perhaps Vallance didn't understand the science himself, and that's why he failed to explain it.
    Well that is nonsense isn't it. My son tries to explain quantum computing to me, plus lots of other stuff and I have a maths degree but I don't get it. There is loads of maths and physics I just couldn't explain to a layman because it isn't that simple. Loads of people just can't get their head around calculus, not even the most basic concept. Just the idea to some of imaginary numbers is beyond comprehension for most people.
    That depends the degree to which one wishes to be informed. You can't become an expert on something just because someone is good at explaining it, but you can gain sufficient grasp of the basic concepts involved to appreciate that their recommendations are grounded in those concepts. I strongly suspect that Vallance both rather enjoyed bamboozling Boris with the science, and wasn't massively confident in it himself. As you suggest, even within the same overarching subject, disciplines differ widely, so one wouldn't blame him.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

I still don't understand why people in vulnerable categories couldn't have been told to stay at home, while people not in vulnerable categories could carry on as normal.
    The short version is that it is impossible to seperate them.
  • Options
    England equalise against Macedonia 1-1
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

Because the young go out, catch COVID, come home and kill the middle aged and elderly.

That's like deciding to switch to driving on the right and staggering the roll out with odd numbered cars switching first
  • Options

This enquiry is pretty shitty stuff really isn't it?

Its only purpose in life seems to be to make everyone aghast at how awful the Tories are, rather than whether lockdowns were effective, proportionate and fair, whether the Nightingale programme should have been abandoned sooner, whether covid patients should have been treated in separate hospitals, which treatment protocols lead to the best results in covid sufferers, whether travel restrictions should have come in sooner, later, or not at all - you know, actual useful information.

Instead we're getting the awful uncouth Tory show. I already know how uncouth, unprofessional and shit Boris's No. 10 outfit was; I care about it only inasmuch as it may have lead to a tendency to kick key political decisions to 'experts' who I suspect had been captured by lockdown-mania.

Yes, it contrasts strongly with the PO inquiry.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380

kinabalu said:

eek said:

@AnasSarwar
    ·
    1h

And other than handwringing and virtue signalling, what will that actually achieve?

This is where Phillips was foolish last week. She sacrificed some excellent work on UK women's rights for something of no realistic benefit to the people of Gaza, because Bibi couldn't give two hoots about what some gobby Brummie thinks.
    I think in the case of Phillips and co they sacrificed a few things now for an easy election campaign come the next election

"Sure Jess."
    "Really?"
    "Cheers boss."
    I entirely support democracy but its bad and disappointing people feel they need to do the wrong thing to appeal to bigots in their constituency.

Jess Phillips has been until the past week long been one of my favourite Labour MPs, one of the few of that party I could respect in Corbyn's years, its a real shame to see her do what she's done this past week. Its a shame she didn't feel she could stand up to those bigots rather than kowtow to them.

You have a firm view on the Israeli action in Gaza that you have shared repeatedly. I am sure your view is sincerely held and I respect it.

Is it not possible that Phillips also has a sincere view that is different to yours?

No, you assume that your view is the only possible view to hold and that Phillips must therefore be deliberately compromising her principles and kowtowing to bigots in her constituency.

Arrogance.
    Now just wait one second. Perhaps you may want to re-read the post I was responding to, which would have been visible to you, before you respond to me in that way.

"Sure Jess."
    "Really?"
    "Cheers boss."

If Jess Phillips is being sincere here in throwing in her lot with Richard Burgon etc then I would feel less of her (as kle4 suggested) but for a totally different reason.

As it happens, I think @kinabalu hit the nail on the head and that is her reason for acting that way. Which as I said, is disreputable, but happens in democracies.

But if you want to have a go at someone for insinuating that she is insincere, it wasn't me that started that train of thought.
    Of all the arguments one can consider about the Gaza situation, "What does Burgon think so I can think the opposite?" must win the triviality prize, sheesh. It's not a straight left/right issue, and I see no reason to think she's not sincere (possibly because I agree with her).
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,912

I'm cancelling my Disney+ subscription.

Die Hard is THE BEST CHRISTMAS FILM ever made!
    Batman Returns is the second-best Christmas Action film after Die Hard.
    The Muppet Christmas Carol is the best Christmas film without a gunfight.
    No Albert Finney version much better and better scrooge than Michael Caine
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,509
    Foxy said:

Its only purpose in life seems to be to make everyone aghast at how awful the Tories are, rather than whether lockdowns were effective, proportionate and fair, whether the Nightingale programme should have been abandoned sooner, whether covid patients should have been treated in separate hospitals, which treatment protocols lead to the best results in covid sufferers, whether travel restrictions should have come in sooner, later, or not at all - you know, actual useful information.

Instead we're getting the awful uncouth Tory show. I already know how uncouth, unprofessional and shit Boris's No. 10 outfit was; I care about it only inasmuch as it may have lead to a tendency to kick key political decisions to 'experts' who I suspect had been captured by lockdown-mania.

I am in a rare moment of agreement.

The key points for the enquiry should be what worked, what didn't, and a cost benefit assessment. Useful lessons from these are essential.

The political gossip and who called whom a fuckwit when arguing about the above is titillating but not much use as there are no lessons to learn.
    This is only one section though, focussing on decision making. There will be other sections, and hopefully a clearer appraisal of what worked and didn’t and consideration of other nations approaches. It also doesn’t help that th3 media is doing what it does and focussed on the minutia of he said, she said etc, rather than bigger pictures.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,671
    I think Nigel Farage could do very well out of I'm a celebrity. It's not my cup of tea, so I won't be watching, but it feels like a very canny decision. The thing is with Farage, he's very wily and a consummate battle-scarred politician. If the producers try to manipulate the show to make him look bad (not saying they would), they are going to fall very flat - they'd be up way past their bedtime playing politics with Farage.

Then if he does end up with newfound fame and adulation, what does he do? Go back to Reform and finish off the Tory Party?

• Options

@AnasSarwar
    ·
    1h

I yield to no one in acknowledging the calculating insincerity of Anas, but it’s for how many hoots Scottish voters give, not the conscience of the Bibi.
  • Options

I've just seen the Maguire "penalty", and I don't believe that is a penalty either. But then I grew up in the era of Nobby Stiles, Johnny Giles, Big Jack, Norman Hunter, Alan Ball, Bryan Kidd, Kenny Burns, Chopper Harris, and my personal favourite Paddy Mulligan. With today's propensity for referees handing out penalties, every match would finish 45 all with those fellows playing, and all penalty goals.
    Well I'm confused because I thought the penalty wasn't and the one that wasn't was.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

eek said:

@AnasSarwar
    ·
    1h

"Sure Jess."
    "Really?"
    "Cheers boss."

Arrogance.

"Sure Jess."
    "Really?"
    "Cheers boss."

Of all the arguments one can consider about the Gaza situation, "What does Burgon think so I can think the opposite?" must win the triviality prize, sheesh. It's not a straight left/right issue, and I see no reason to think she's not sincere (possibly because I agree with her).
    I think Jess is sincere, and in polling a ceasefire is popular across all parties and age groups. It isn't a fringe position.

The whole debate is pointless though. Neither Israel nor Hamas care what motions are passed in our Parliament.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,548

kinabalu said:

eek said:

@AnasSarwar
    ·
    1h

"Sure Jess."
    "Really?"
    "Cheers boss."

Arrogance.

"Sure Jess."
    "Really?"
    "Cheers boss."

It's nonsensical anyway.

It implies Burgon thinks, and such we know is not the case.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

@AnasSarwar
    ·
    1h

"Sure Jess."
    "Really?"
    "Cheers boss."

Arrogance.

"Sure Jess."
    "Really?"
    "Cheers boss."

It's nonsensical anyway.

It implies Burgon thinks, and such we know is not the case.
    I now have a complex scheme to utilise the stupidity of Burgon and the DfE in a perpetual motion machine.

Bit like this - https://youtu.be/Z8yW5cyXXRc?si=hGv_dr_IVZboJxRR

• Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,787
    Bozo ordered lockdown a week too late. His statement to the nation the week before had me shouting at the TV with incomprehension.

His delay cost a lot of lives.
  • Options
    England finish 1-1 against Macedonia. Italy also qualify (only just!) for the Euros after a 0-0 draw against Ukraine.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087

I think Nigel Farage could do very well out of I'm a celebrity. It's not my cup of tea, so I won't be watching, but it feels like a very canny decision. The thing is with Farage, he's very wily and a consummate battle-scarred politician. If the producers try to manipulate the show to make him look bad (not saying they would), they are going to fall very flat - they'd be up way past their bedtime playing politics with Farage.

Then if he does end up with newfound fame and adulation, what does he do? Go back to Reform and finish off the Tory Party?

I've kind of assumed the plan was always to take a more prominent political role again if the circumstances were right. Farage seems pretty canny to me, and at least as far as most people are concerned he's not been constantly popping up bemoaning this or that for the last few years, his career has had periods of relative quiet and others of very high profile, which lends itself to extending his usefulness as a political actor, whereas others have come and gone in the same period.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

@AnasSarwar
    ·
    1h

"Sure Jess."
    "Really?"
    "Cheers boss."

Arrogance.

"Sure Jess."
    "Really?"
    "Cheers boss."

I think Jess is sincere, and in polling a ceasefire is popular across all parties and age groups. It isn't a fringe position.

The whole debate is pointless though. Neither Israel nor Hamas care what motions are passed in our Parliament.
    Jess is vittue signalling. And staying on the right side of her antisemitic constituents.

Neither is a good place to be.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,283

I think Nigel Farage could do very well out of I'm a celebrity. It's not my cup of tea…

“I'm a celebrity. It's not my cup of tea” could be a new hit format. Take celebrities and put them in uncomfortable situations.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

The key points for the enquiry should be what worked, what didn't, and a cost benefit assessment. Useful lessons from these are essential.

The political gossip and who called whom a fuckwit when arguing about the above is titillating but not much use as there are no lessons to learn.
    It was inevitable we were always going to get that, it being what is of interest to politicians, the media, and let's be honest the public as well. My hope was that we'd get that froth but that some actually useful lessons would come through as a side consequence.

I've not paid close enough attention to know if that seems likely, but I'm never optimistic about that. That people bitch in messages and that the power players were more chaotic and uncertain behind closed doors than they admitted in public does not strike me as an especially useful insight, so I hope we get more.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,921

I've had some involvement in the enquiry at local Government level and the central theme is about the response to the pandemic and the co-ordination between central and local Government as well as how groups like Local Resilience Forums responded to the developing emergency.

The fact remains the Conservatives were in Government (who remembers talk of a Government of National Unity?) and therefore as the decision makers the enquiry is asking how decisions were taken and on what bases, what kind of criteria were used and what advice was given and taken. It's not an esoteric discussion on lockdowns per se but the processes and rationales by which the decisions to impose both the initial and subsequent lockdowns were taken.

There's a more interesting point at work - sometimes these enquiries aren't meant to be rational and legalistic but cathartic, a chance for those who suffered to vent at those who they believed caused their suffering. Government functions on the basis of accountability to the electorate and that accountability is being demonstrated by this enquiry but if you are looking for other answers, you may be looking in the wrong place.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,046
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

@AnasSarwar
    ·
    1h

"Sure Jess."
    "Really?"
    "Cheers boss."

Arrogance.

"Sure Jess."
    "Really?"
    "Cheers boss."

Nor do either of them want a ceasefire.
    So, the argument is moot anyways.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

I think Nigel Farage could do very well out of I'm a celebrity. It's not my cup of tea…

“I'm a celebrity. It's not my cup of tea” could be a new hit format. Take celebrities and put them in uncomfortable situations.
    Like four British celebs being given a cup of tea which is not their order, and seeing which one cracks and speaks up first about not getting the right one. Such awkwardness and tension!

Sorry, I was taking it a bit literally there.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

Because the young go out, catch COVID, come home and kill the middle aged and elderly.

That's like deciding to switch to driving on the right and staggering the roll out with odd numbered cars switching first
    My wife needed to shield. So I needed to shield too. Call me overly cautious, but I didn't want to kill her.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

He did end restrictions sooner than many others wanted, however, which was braver than some however.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Which, notably, politicians do not seem to give a shit about.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

Its the circle of life, people get old, and die.

Its sad. Mourn them and move on.

We're not meant to be immortal. People die, its not the end of the world.

Removing civil liberties, closing schools etc to prevent old people from getting sick was a horrendous mistake.
  • Options

I'm cancelling my Disney+ subscription.

Die Hard is THE BEST CHRISTMAS FILM ever made!
    Batman Returns is the second-best Christmas Action film after Die Hard.
    The Muppet Christmas Carol is the best Christmas film without a gunfight.
    No Albert Finney version much better and better scrooge than Michael Caine
    I've never been more shocked and outraged by anything I've ever read on here.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

My wife needed to shield. So I needed to shield too. Call me overly cautious, but I didn't want to kill her.
    I think some don’t live in the real world. The idea that society is segmented, and oldies only live with and interact with other oldies is absurd. And yet many (presumably young people) still say only the vulnerable should have been locked down, as if that was possible.

Hindsight is wonderful. Judge peoples decisions by what was known at the time.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I've kind of assumed the plan was always to take a more prominent political role again if the circumstances were right. Farage seems pretty canny to me, and at least as far as most people are concerned he's not been constantly popping up bemoaning this or that for the last few years, his career has had periods of relative quiet and others of very high profile, which lends itself to extending his usefulness as a political actor, whereas others have come and gone in the same period.
    Brexit was being argued about on tonight's episode. Serieix vs Farage.

Rest of them walked away to do washing up as they "had enough" of brexit arguing.

That is probably a good snapshot of the uk public frankly.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

Removing civil liberties, closing schools etc to prevent old people from getting sick was a horrendous mistake.
    I believe in the urgency of the situation the first lockdowns were justified, but restrictions were too quickly reimposed later and then went on too long when more was known and treatment/prevention was higher.

I would hope that an inquiry might cause reflection on whether legislation was necessary, or if voluntary compliance can be shown to be just as effective, and measures such as applied to schools which even at the time seemed poor, could be improved by what we know now.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

I think some don’t live in the real world. The idea that society is segmented, and oldies only live with and interact with other oldies is absurd. And yet many (presumably young people) still say only the vulnerable should have been locked down, as if that was possible.

People can choose to shield as best as they can, that's free will.

Those who chose not to, shouldn't have been forced to.

And young people's education should never have been messed with.

Dicking around with education that will affect people potentially for the rest of their life, 70+ more years, is not worthwhile to prevent some people from getting sick or dying from entirely natural causes.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

Covid killed people of ALL ages. If you fail to understand that, there is no hope of a regional debate on this. It also made young people very unwell, and they were the ones who got the chance of ventialation. (You don’t ventiallate 80 year olds). The greatest risk with covid was crashing the system and people dying of other things because the NHS was overwhelmed.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,396
    Boris Fuck off. Cummings Fuck off.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

Covid killed people of ALL ages. If you fail to understand that, there is no hope of a regional debate on this. It also made young people very unwell, and they were the ones who got the chance of ventialation. (You don’t ventiallate 80 year olds). The greatest risk with covid was crashing the system and people dying of other things because the NHS was overwhelmed.
    People of all ages get sick and die.

So what?

Life goes on.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

But there was never a detailed plan about how you could do shielding of the vulnerable and let the rest carry on working and going to school.

No one in authority bothered to even try.

It was dismissed as ravings of a few lunatics like Bhattacharya (Stanford).

It is a disgrace that there was no team at No 10 and Public Dishealth England wargaming an alternative like this.

• Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,933

kle4 said:

Rest of them walked away to do washing up as they "had enough" of brexit arguing.

Fair play to Sirieix - he’s up against a man whose whole career has been based on one argument, about Brexit.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,576
    edited November 2023
    TimS said:

kle4 said:

Fair play to Sirieix - he’s up against a man whose whole career has been based on one argument, about Brexit.
    He was good. Farage finally said something about agreeing to disagree. Not, I think, because he felt he was losing but because he knew the public dont want hear too much about it.

Farage later ate camel nipples tonight.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

Dicking around with education that will affect people potentially for the rest of their life, 70+ more years, is not worthwhile to prevent some people from getting sick or dying from entirely natural causes.
    The effects are education are overstated. Once you leave school, go to uni or get a job, it rarely matter what GCSE grade you got, or what class of degree. We’ve been mitigating for covid effects at Uni for years and are gradually winding it back now (rightly). Too many are seeking to use it as an excuse for not doing the work.

No doubt we should have worked harder to keep education going better. But it was an unprecedented situation.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

So what?

Life goes on.
    Do you believe we should try to save lives generally? It sounds like you jus5 don’t give a shit.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

But there was never a detailed plan about how you could do shielding of the vulnerable and let the rest carry on working and going to school.

It is a disgrace that there was no team at No 10 and Public Dishealth England wargaming an alternative like this.

You couldn't, that's why.

But that's not a reason why we should have closed schools and locked down people, it was a horrendous mistake.

We should have accepted that a perfect shielding was impossible and that people would die.

"The NHS being overwhelmed" is bollocks too, the NHS is always overwhelmed, that's why there's things like triage, NICE, waiting lists etc

If the NHS gets overwhelmed then triage to determine who can best be helped and wish the others luck.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

So what?

Life goes on.
    Do you believe we should try to save lives generally? It sounds like you jus5 don’t give a shit.
    Within reason.
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370

Just be literal. Guess their favoured cup of tea.

Farage will claim to be a builder’s man but once unsupervised is having Earl Grey.

He makes and offers you the builders, and you have to guess if it fits. If you say it does and you’re wrong then he says “that’s not my cup of tea”.

Hit format right there.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,933

TimS said:

kle4 said:

He was good. Farage finally said something about agreeing to disagree. Not, I think, because he felt he was losing but because he knew the public dont want hear too much about it.

I’m sure camel nipples are fine. Likewise any meaty part of a mammal. I would struggle with live insects. Dead cooked ones are bad enough, I’ve tried beetly/ crickety things a couple of times and not a fan.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

Partly because the proponents of this all seem to be young, ‘why should I stop doing what I like’ types, rather than anything else. It’s not unlike people wanting higher taxes on everyone else. Other people should lockdown so I don’t have to. How would you cope at work if all those told to shield did so? How many teachers, doctors, nurses, road hauliers was that?
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,382
    edited November 2023
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Which, notably, politicians do not seem to give a shit about.
    Oh, they do.

They know there is a massive governmental failing at the heart of the scandal, and wish this to be kept as quiet as possible. Their chances of doing so are enhanced by the fact there is more than one government of more than one color at fault. Also, the legal system failed dismally, as did many senior legal people.

They all have a vested interest in the inquiry dragging on endlessly, which is how it is shaping at the moment.

But they certainly give a shit.
  • Options
    TimS said:

TimS said:

kle4 said:

I’m sure camel nipples are fine. Likewise any meaty part of a mammal. I would struggle with live insects. Dead cooked ones are bad enough, I’ve tried beetly/ crickety things a couple of times and not a fan.
    A pizza had scorpions on it.

• Options

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

But that's not a reason why we should have closed schools and locked down people, it was a horrendous mistake.

We should have accepted that a perfect shielding was impossible and that people would die.

"The NHS being overwhelmed" is bollocks too, the NHS is always overwhelmed, that's why there's things like triage, NICE, waiting lists etc

If the NHS gets overwhelmed then triage to determine who can best be helped and wish the others luck.
    Would you have been that sanguine if one of your children was turned away?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

The effects are education are overstated. Once you leave school, go to uni or get a job, it rarely matter what GCSE grade you got, or what class of degree. We’ve been mitigating for covid effects at Uni for years and are gradually winding it back now (rightly). Too many are seeking to use it as an excuse for not doing the work.

No doubt we should have worked harder to keep education going better. But it was an unprecedented situation.
    No, the effects on education are understated, especially for the most vulnerable who struggled most during lockdown.

For those who were in a well off middle class household, then yes it was less, and by looking at the uni perspective you've already filtered out many of those who were worst affected as those who did badly from lockdown aren't coming your way.

Which is not just those who were in A Levels when there was Covid. Those who were in Year 7 or 8 when Covid hit are now coming up to final exams in school now and those who were let down during Covid have not caught up.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

Would you have been that sanguine if one of your children was turned away?
    Children are turned away all the time. We've been waiting nine months for an appointment for my daughter since she was referred to the hospital and we're still waiting. That's what the NHS does all the time, nothing original.

There's no blank cheque.
  • Options
    TimS said:

TimS said:

kle4 said:

Some vegetarian camel nipple substitute for me, please!
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,927
    The deckchairs have been rearranged; the ship is still sinking.

Nine polls since the reshuffle and the average Labour lead in those nine polls compared with each pollster's previous poll is...

Unchanged on 20.4%.

Cons and Lab both down 1.3% when averaged across those nine polls. (LD up 1%; SNP up 0.8%; Reform up 0.4%; others up 0.2%.)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

There's good news from Kemmerer, Wyoming: The small town is beginning to have faith in Bill Gates's promise to build a nuclear reactor there, which will provide jobs to replace the town's dwindling coal jobs.
    "But in a community idling in the latter half of its latest boom-bust cycle, misgivings have taken a back seat to optimism — and a dawning acceptance that a region built on coal, oil and gas may have little choice but to embrace a new identity. Amid empty downtown storefronts, a chic mercantile is about to open and a new coffee shop churns out lattes. Worn bungalows are selling quickly. A housing development is in the works."
    source$: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2023/11/20/kemmerer-wyoming-coal-nuclear-bill-gates/ (I like the article's picture of the four deer crossing a main road in the town.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kemmerer,_Wyoming

(One more thing to blame "Czar" Putin for. The plant was originally going to use fuel from recycled Russian nuclear weapons. Now that is no longer available, it will have to find sources here in the uS, which will delay the starting time two years.)

This is the cancellation of the US mini nukes, after costs rose 53%:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-11-08/first-us-small-nuclear-project-canceled-after-costs-climb-53?leadSource=uverify wall
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,400
    kle4 said:

Foxy said:

It was inevitable we were always going to get that, it being what is of interest to politicians, the media, and let's be honest the public as well. My hope was that we'd get that froth but that some actually useful lessons would come through as a side consequence.

I've not paid close enough attention to know if that seems likely, but I'm never optimistic about that. That people bitch in messages and that the power players were more chaotic and uncertain behind closed doors than they admitted in public does not strike me as an especially useful insight, so I hope we get more.
    The other difficulty is that if one's to get to the truth as to why some stuff worked and other stuff didn't, how decisions were taken, what was throwing money away and what was a really effective intervention, you need as much as possible out there - which also includes the bitchy stuff.

Otherwise you get the sanitised version where everyone covers for each other and an 'official' version of history that parks anything that says we messed up. Especially important too given many WhatsApps wouldn't be released, ever, if not here.

Obviously while the inquiry is ongoing, that means the media pick up on the bitchy tittle-tattle - it gets clicks, sells papers, and gives blowhards something to prattle on about on TV and radio. But you'd hope those writing the conclusion can ignore all that, sift through it and use it to come up with some good recommendations of what to do and what not to in future.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,059
    edited November 2023
    stodge said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

I'd be interested in the overlap between people who rated Boris Johnson and people with a Maths A level at B or above. Quite small I'd imagine.

*Raises hand*

But it depends what you mean by “rated”. He got the referendum won. He avoided a second referendum that would have been lost. He ensured a hard-ish Brexit. He turns out to have kept our lockdown as short as was ever going to be possible, albeit more by luck than judgement.

He was very useful.
    And he's trashed the Tory brand for a generation meaning I'm happy too. A little something for everyone.

Ooo I’ll have some of your benefit too. Labour hasn’t quite got there, but my dream scenario was to Brexit and then vote for “Blue Labour” governments.
    Mind too. I thought Boris’s govt was a bit like that, or maybe I just hoped it would be. Covid got in the way, so we will never know

If only Sir Keir wasn’t the arch second referendum chaser, as well as being an unlikeable liar, I’d love to vote for them again. Would feel like coming home. I had to ask my parents if they’d hate me if I voted Conservative in 2019.

Your 2nd ref point is strong and authentic. A committed leaver such as yourself is entitled to hold that grudge against SKS until their dying day.

But the point about lying, no, you don't really feel that. You can't feel that because as a Boris Johnson supporter you by definition have a high tolerance for mendacity in politics.
    Seems strange, but the difference is that it was factored in with Boris - we knew he had form for lying, and that was the rough to his kind of devil may care smooth; he was a bounder and we knew it.

With Sir Keir, he has built a reputation as honest, loyal, quite pious in tone… but is as bigger liar in his political life as Boris. Aside from the leadership pledge lies & the Brexit snideyness, the ‘men can have a cervix’/oh no they can’t, the vegetarianism when he eats animals, the knighthood when he said he was a Republican; it’s all so… I can’t thinking the word… annoying! Just 100% the kind of person I don’t like in life
    You talk of Boris as if you loved him and so could forgive all his foibles. That's what 'factored in' really means.
    At the same time the slightest "transgression" from Starmer is used as a stick with which to beat him. There's almost a dossier of this seeming hypocrisy yet we are to believe Boris has never been a liar, hypocite or undermined the position of a previous Party leader.

It's a view...
    Who says so?

I said I knew what Boris was like, everyone knows it. The difference is that Sir Keir has also lied, flip flopped, been evasive, and has strangely flexible morals but it’s only me that notices or is bothered by it. Literally no one else on here cares, because he’s their man, whilst at the same time anyone who defends Boris, whilst acknowledging his faults, is a ‘fanboy’, ‘in love’ and the rest
  • Options

TimS said:

kle4 said:

I'm A Celebrity 2023: TV viewing figures fall by two million for opening show

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-67449085
  • Options

TimS said:

TimS said:

kle4 said:

Not sure you will be able to do the jungle programme with that attitude.

How are you with heights?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

A wider question is how easily the NHS could have been overwhelmed, and close it still is to being overwhelmed. Lack of spare capacity, since well before Covid. This also applies to most of our public services, because too many people won’t pay the taxes or pay for the investment required to fund them.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,218
    edited November 2023

TimS said:

kle4 said:

May or may not be boosted with tonight's episode opening with Farage's naked backside in the open air natural shower.

Whatever else one may think of Farage he has more charisma than Sunak or Starmer, Flynn or Davey and indeed current leader of his ReformUK Party, Richard Tice.

If he returned to lead ReformUK with voters fed up with the Tories but not greatly enthused by Starmer, he could make some inroads, especially in the debates
  • Options
    isam said:

stodge said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

*Raises hand*

He was very useful.

It's a view...
    Who says so?

I said I knew what Boris was like, everyone knows it. The difference is that Sir Keir has also lied, flip flopped, been evasive, and has strangely flexible morals but it’s only me that notices or is bothered by it. Literally no one else on here cares, because he’s their man, whilst at the same time anyone who defends Boris, whilst acknowledging his faults, is a ‘fanboy’, ‘in love’ and the rest
    The blind spot on this site about Boris was always astonishing.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    edited November 2023
    HYUFD said:

TimS said:

kle4 said:

May or may not be boosted with tonight's episode opening with Farage's naked backside in the open air natural shower
    There are some things I want to see on telly and some things I don't and Nigel Farage's naked arse would definitely be at the bottom of my list... In fact it wouldn't even make my list.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    HYUFD said:

TimS said:

kle4 said:

May or may not be boosted with tonight's episode opening with Farage's naked backside in the open air natural shower.

Whatever else one may think of Farage he has more charisma than Sunak or Starmer, Flynn or Davey and indeed current leader of his ReformUK Party, Richard Tice.

If he returned to lead ReformUK with voters fed up with the Tories but not greatly enthused by Starmer, he could make some inroads, especially in the debates
    However you colour Farage he is still a ****!

Not a word I would normally use lightly.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

kle4 said:

Your worst post. Ever.

Mention of "Farage's naked backside" should lead to a ban. Stomach-churning.
    There’s a niche for every fetish. I’m not googling this one though….
  • Options
    Inflation rate

Brazil 5%
    Argentina 140%
  • Options
    edited November 2023

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

kle4 said:

However you colour Farage he is still a ****!

Not a word I would normally use lightly.
    You *a*'* get away with that sort of language on here you know!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Inflation rate

Brazil 5%
    Argentina 140%

Boris would talk up how “world beating” it was…
  • Options
    biggles said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

kle4 said:

Your worst post. Ever.

Mention of "Farage's naked backside" should lead to a ban. Stomach-churning.
    There’s a niche for every fetish. I’m not googling this one though….
    I doubt whether even @TSE’s legendary dockside stepmom would want to see Farage’s arse.
  • Options

TimS said:

TimS said:

kle4 said:

Never having consumed a camel's nipple and not being a vegetarian I'm spectacularly unqualified to offer advice in this matter, but my preliminary suggestion would be the stalk end of an aubergine marinated in cold coffee.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

TimS said:

kle4 said:

May or may not be boosted with tonight's episode opening with Farage's naked backside in the open air natural shower
    There are some things I want to see on telly and some things I don't and Nigel Farage's naked arse would definitely be at the bottom of my list... In fact it wouldn't even make my list.
    I hope 'bottom of my list' was a pun or are you making a list of bottoms
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,221

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed. Risk segmentation was always the wisest approach, potentially, if it could be worked through. Nobody really tried.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,221
    stodge said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

*Raises hand*

He was very useful.

It's a view...
    It’s a view is the worst PB cliche of all time.

That’s a view you can have for nothing.
  • Options

stodge said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

*Raises hand*

He was very useful.

It's a view...

At the end of the day...
  • Options

stodge said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

biggles said:

kinabalu said:

*Raises hand*

He was very useful.

It's a view...

At the end of the day, Boris got ALL the big calls right!

(Two clichés for the price of one).
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    edited November 2023
    Lord Cameron donned the ermine and looked very regal today I notice.

I bet @TheScreamingEagles had a tear in his eye! :D
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Lord Cameron looking donned the ermine and looked very regal today I notice.

I bet @TheScreamingEagles had a tear in his eye! :D

...and moist underpants.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,989

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

Indeed. Risk segmentation was always the wisest approach, potentially, if it could be worked through. Nobody really tried.
    I'm picturing some public health medics in government saying "Well, you never know. Let's give it a whirl. Worst that happens is everyone's dead but has had a thorough eye test."
This discussion has been closed.