Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A personal note from Mike Smithson – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    A Colorado judge ruled on Friday that former President Donald J. Trump could remain on the primary ballot in the state, rejecting the argument that the 14th Amendment prevents him from holding office again — but doing so on relatively narrow grounds that lawyers for the voters seeking to disqualify him said they would appeal.

NY Times
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

For Steely Dan enthusiasts, this is a great NPR interview from a couple of decades ago.
    https://www.npr.org/2014/04/18/304552322/steely-dan-on-piano-jazz

Starts out a little slow, but picks up fast. Includes Josie and Black Friday performed live.

Thanks for that.

I’m not a great fan of those cosy discussion programmes that are used to display talking heads’ wonderful personalities but I do like Add to Playlist on R4. Last night they had some jazz piano including the Dan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001sdyx?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,107

Did Boris Johnson’s circle try to ‘fix’ who became head of Ofcom?
    A potential cover-up I unearthed in the weeds of Nadine Dorries’s book remains a mystery. It has damaged the BBC, the broadcast regulator, and the process of public appointments

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/63982/boris-johnson-nadine-dorries-ofcom

Not much unearthing required by former Guardian editor Alan Rusbridger. He read about it in Nadine's book, or possibly the serialisation or coverage of the serialisation of Nadine's book.

Anyway, Nad got her way over the wily fixers and Boris appointed her nominee, Michael Grade, who luckily enough is a Tory anyway.

Isn’t it a government appointment by statute?

So what is the definition of “fixing”?

Choosing a candidate the guardian doesn’t like?

Try reading the article before making flip comments.
    The allegation is that Johnson's circle tried improperly to influence Dorries.

The Guardian wouldn't like either of the candidates, FWIW.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,438

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Maybe pool, sea, big pool, sea again, cocktail, pool, beer, pool, sea, tequila sunrise, sea, big pool, look at hummingbird, sea, pool, pool, pool, caiprinha, mojito, coma

The fifth consecutive "me, me, me" post from @Leon.

It's not always about you. Where's the "off topic" button? Oh it's gone.

Best wishes OGH.
    It was an existential riff on the quiddity of life

Also, beaches. = nice
    Yeah, it really cheers the rest of us up here in wet, windswept chaotic old Blighty.
    But isn’t it cheering to know that at least one pb-er is basking in glorious sunshine on a long, exquisite, white sand beach, knowing that in about an hour, as the sun sets over the Bay of Thailand, he will be having free cocktails? Doesn’t that - just a tiny bit - lift your spirits as you stare at the cold relentless drizzle?

Why be such a sourpuss? In a very real sense you are with me, via my endless descriptions, pointless comments and annoying photos
    Bay of Thailand? I thought you were in Colombia.
    Cambodia

Koh Rong island in the Bay of Thailand

I STRONGLY recommend Cambodia at the moment. It is still empty post Covid. So it’s cheap and the beaches - as you can see - are blissfully quiet

I met a French couple kayaking today and they said even Angkor Wat is quiet. They had Ta Prohm (the famous temple with the tree growing out of the wall) to themselves

That’s basically unheard of. And paradoxically travel WITHIN Cambodia has never been easier, thanks to gleaming new Chinese roads. And the food is vastly improved from 5-10 years ago
    The food wasn’t bad when we went, 10 or so years ago. The roads, though, were dreadful!
    And Angkor Wat was indeed busy.
    It was also quiet 28 years ago when I visited Angkor Wat.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,941
    Look after yourself Mike. As I approach 80 I am noticing a tendency to feel a little dizzy if I move suddenly - could a fall be the next stage?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

For Steely Dan enthusiasts, this is a great NPR interview from a couple of decades ago.

Starts out a little slow, but picks up fast. Includes Josie and Black Friday performed live.

Thanks for that.

I’m not a great fan of those cosy discussion programmes that are used to display talking heads’ wonderful personalities but I do like Add to Playlist on R4. Last night they had some jazz piano including the Dan.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001sdyx?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile
    No talking heads in the NPR piece - the interviewer is herself a jazz pianist, who also plays in the program.
  • Options

A potential cover-up I unearthed in the weeds of Nadine Dorries’s book remains a mystery. It has damaged the BBC, the broadcast regulator, and the process of public appointments

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/63982/boris-johnson-nadine-dorries-ofcom

Not much unearthing required by former Guardian editor Alan Rusbridger. He read about it in Nadine's book, or possibly the serialisation or coverage of the serialisation of Nadine's book.

Anyway, Nad got her way over the wily fixers and Boris appointed her nominee, Michael Grade, who luckily enough is a Tory anyway.

No, choosing a candidate the Secretary of State did not like. She was given a choice of two candidates; she nominated the "wrong" candidate; mysterious plotters changed her nomination; she saved the day by phoning the Prime Minister.

You might recall a similar tale with Jim Hacker and bishops.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,212
    Get well soon Mike. Could have been a lot worse, my wife's sister under 70 fell 3-4 weeks ago and broke left hip and arm in 3 places, still lying in hospital.
    No great consolation for you but good nothing broken.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,128
    slade said:

Look after yourself Mike. As I approach 80 I am noticing a tendency to feel a little dizzy if I move suddenly - could a fall be the next stage?

Tendency to fall, in the elderly, also seems to be associated with the number of medications taken. I don’t think, when I was professionally concerned with such things, that there was differentiation between prescribed and non-prescribed medications, although one would expect prescribed ones to be more likely.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Why did Dorries think she was there if it wasn't to be improperly influenced by Boris?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,725

slade said:

Tendency to fall, in the elderly, also seems to be associated with the number of medications taken. I don’t think, when I was professionally concerned with such things, that there was differentiation between prescribed and non-prescribed medications, although one would expect prescribed ones to be more likely.
    My niece, who has done some nursing, says it is a significant moment in life when you go from just “falling over” to “having a fall”, even though they are exactly the same
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Thanks for that.

No talking heads in the NPR piece - the interviewer is herself a jazz pianist, who also plays in the program.
    I was thinking more of other programmes in the R4 stable.
    Kermode, I’m looking at you.
  • Options

A Colorado judge ruled on Friday that former President Donald J. Trump could remain on the primary ballot in the state, rejecting the argument that the 14th Amendment prevents him from holding office again — but doing so on relatively narrow grounds that lawyers for the voters seeking to disqualify him said they would appeal.

NY Times

Nigelb said:

Why did Dorries think she was there if it wasn't to be improperly influenced by Boris?
    You've got me there.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,160
    @OGH, please don't worry. The important thing is your continued existence. please don't let any concerns about the site effect that.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

NY Times

Nigelb said:

You've got me there.
    The correct answer is that there is a flaw in the question. She didn't think.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Thanks for that.

I was thinking more of other programmes in the R4 stable.
    Kermode, I’m looking at you.
    I do like "Add to Playlist", though. An underappreciated gem.
    (Which I thought I wouldn't.)
  • Options

NY Times

The significance is the finding of fact - which I don't think Trump's lawyers have challenged.

The legal grounds will be appealed,
  • Options
    The government yesterday published:-

Evaluation of Sport Survival Package

Research report evaluating the impact of the Sport Survival Package (COVID-19 funding for sport clubs and organisations)

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/evaluation-of-sport-survival-package
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,520

NY Times

Yes the a judge said he had been guilty of insurrection against the US but fell outwith the category of people the amendment dealt with which was basically former officers in the US army.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,927
    malcolmg said:

Get well soon Mike. Could have been a lot worse, my wife's sister under 70 fell 3-4 weeks ago and broke left hip and arm in 3 places, still lying in hospital.

Even in relative youngsters falling is an under-rated risk. I fell on the stairs this summer (not down the stairs, just on the stairs while walking down with a cat in my arms) and broke 4 ribs. Spent 2 nights in hospital and was in pain until, well, now.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

NY Times

Yes the a judge said he had been guilty of insurrection against the US but fell outwith the category of people the amendment dealt with which was basically former officers in the US army.
    Thank heavens for those bone spurs.
  • Options
    TimS said:

malcolmg said:

Even in relative youngsters falling is an under-rated risk. I fell on the stairs this summer (not down the stairs, just on the stairs while walking down with a cat in my arms) and broke 4 ribs. Spent 2 nights in hospital and was in pain until, well, now.
    Cats normally walk by themselves. Just not necessarily where you want them to.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

NY Times

That isn't what it says.
    No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may, by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability

Whether the much broader categories highlighted includes the office of President is a matter which almost certainly will be litigated before the SC.

Note the President is also Commander in Chief of the armed forces.
  • Options
    TimS said:

malcolmg said:

And was the cat grateful? Was it ****.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,395
    edited November 2023
    slade said:

1) Don't move suddenly
    2) Rest, then take Blood pressure over several days and different times
    3)See your doctor with this info pronto to assess whst blood pressure tablets u r on and if not on one , what you should be on..... if req
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

NY Times

That isn't what it says.
    No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may, by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability

Whether the much broader categories highlighted includes the office of President is a matter which almost certainly will be litigated before the SC.

Supreme Court will have to decide in the end.

So Trump will be on the ballot.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,995
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

@Leon assume you've been keeping up with the rats leaving the sinking ship at OpenAI? Not seen a company throw talent away like that in a long time. Microsoft speed running the Nokia business plan IMO.

I have. And I’ve heard rumours
    A famous "artist's impression" of org charts at the big tech companies.

https://i.insider.com/4e0b340dcadcbbdd35120000?width=1300&format=jpeg&auto=webp

Evidently Microsoft doing their best to live up to their reputation...
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,671
    All the very best for a speedy and full recovery Mike.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,939
    Good luck Mike! By coincidence I went to see 'Anatomy of a Fall' yesterday. I won't spoil it by telling you the ending except to say it was gripping!

While you recuperate you could try reading Nadine Dorries 'The Plot'. I bought it as an audiobook . The thought of spending hours with 'Nads' in a sedentary position didn't appeal. In film terms I'd describe it as 'Fifty Shades of Grey' meets 'Biggles Goes to War'.

It's absolute rubbish but at least you'll be familiar with the characters
  • Options

TimS said:

malcolmg said:

Probably jumped clear, landed on all four paws and walked away without looking back.
  • Options

TimS said:

malcolmg said:

Probably jumped clear, landed on all four paws and walked away without looking back.
    Yes, pretty much. But it managed to scratch me and draw blood on the way down, for good measure.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,217
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

@Leon assume you've been keeping up with the rats leaving the sinking ship at OpenAI? Not seen a company throw talent away like that in a long time. Microsoft speed running the Nokia business plan IMO.

Battling Business Units!
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,725
    edited November 2023
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

It really is quite odd. The FT is reporting that lots of other OpenAI staff - some senior - are quitting to follow Altman. So it’s more like a schism than a sacking or a coup

Hmmmm
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,427
    I’m really sorry to hear about your fall Mike @MikeSmithson

This is to wish you a good and speedy recovery.

This site is never quite the same without you, its founder. I always appreciate your gentle and level threads.

Much love

xx
  • Options
    Penddu2Penddu2 Posts: 597
    Leon said:

Maybe pool, sea, big pool, sea again, cocktail, pool, beer, pool, sea, tequila sunrise, sea, big pool, look at hummingbird, sea, pool, pool, pool, caiprinha, mojito, coma

When is the hooker scheduled,?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,473
    edited November 2023

Leon said:

slade said:

My niece, who has done some nursing, says it is a significant moment in life when you go from just “falling over” to “having a fall”, even though they are exactly the same
    It was a fall that finished off my 95-year-old mother-in-law. A lifelong Democrat she regained consciousness in hospital and asked about the previous day's election. 'Trump won,' she was told. "That's terrible," she groaned, and promptly expired. Sane to the end, that's how I want to go. But not as young as 95, obviously.
    In good company. Leonard Cohen died when Trump was elected. Part of me did too for a while.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

NY Times

That isn't what it says.

Probably, but it's not completely certain.
    A couple of the recent appointees very occasionally show non partisan tendencies. And might decide it's an opportunity to signal their unequivocal independence of Trump.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Musk at war with advertisers. Who provide most of the income to Twitter...

"Premium+ also has no ads in your timeline.

Many of the largest advertisers are the greatest oppressors of your right to free speech."

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1725707584555143602

Edit: and later:
    "Yup. Premium+ is a great way to support free speech and not support those “woke” organizations"
  • Options
    Good luck with that.

Elon Musk to file ‘thermonuclear lawsuit’ as advertisers desert X
    Social media firm boss says he will sue media watchdog that said ads were being placed alongside antisemitic content
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/nov/18/elon-musk-to-file-thermonuclear-lawsuit-as-advertisers-desert-x

They did, of course, cite evidence for their story, so it will be interesting to see the basis of his threatened suit.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,916
    Ouch! I hope you have a speedy and full recovery mike.
    Gruß aus Berlin.
  • Options
    Also I'm not sure what's meant by 'thermonuclear' in this context.

Extremely hot air ?
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,941

slade said:

I am on Ramipril, Doxazosin, Lercanidipine, and Atorvastatin. Had my annual check up recently and the nurse was very happy with my blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
  • Options
    An ad on the radio just now got me thinking about American cultural imports in the last decade. There have been many: the rate has definitely accelerated. To name just a few:

- Black Friday (that’s what triggered the thought)
    - “Season” rather than series
    - the final, grinding Bakhmut-style victory of “ATM”
    - “Woke”
    - “Culture war”
    - “Incel”
    - “Passed” instead of died (or even passed away)
    - “STEM”
    - A whole plethora of baseball expressions, like “circle back”

I could go on. During that time all we’ve managed in return is to give them “close of play”
  • Options
    And in "Good Musk News", the next Starship flight is live on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1dRKZEWQvrXxB
  • Options
    slade said:

slade said:

I am on Ramipril, Doxazosin, Lercanidipine, and Atorvastatin. Had my annual check up recently and the nurse was very happy with my blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
    Good; just don’t trip over any loose rugs, or similar. Loose rugs and upstairs toilets were what used, in my day, to be regarded as other risk factors.
  • Options
    Icarus said:

Falls are not all bad - I got up too quickly on a flight from Sydney - -collapsed on the floor and was moved to business class. My wife says that I should have said that I didn't want to be seperated from her! Best of luck Mike just take things a bit more gently.

Surely icarus should not be saying falls aren't too bad? :smile:
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

It really is quite odd. The FT is reporting that lots of other OpenAI staff - some senior - are quitting to follow Altman. So it’s more like a schism than a sacking or a coup

Hmmmm
    There's something of an exodus.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

slade said:

It was a fall that finished off my 95-year-old mother-in-law. A lifelong Democrat she regained consciousness in hospital and asked about the previous day's election. 'Trump won,' she was told. "That's terrible," she groaned, and promptly expired. Sane to the end, that's how I want to go. But not as young as 95, obviously.
    In good company. Leonard Cohen died when Trump was elected. Part of me did too for a while.
    "That's no way to say goodbye..."
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,456
    edited November 2023
    slade said:

slade said:

I am similar but when I had my DVT a month ago, and emergency hospital admittance, it was discovered I had atrial fibrillation alongside other issues and AF is being treated as is my DVT with apixaban while I await the cardiologist appointment

Throughout, and in hospital, my blood pressure has been excellent and gave no indication of what has followed
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Hmmmm
    There's something of an exodus.
    Did true AI genesis come first ?
  • Options

slade said:

slade said:

I am similar but when I had my DVT a month ago, and emergency hospital admittance, it was discovered I had atrial fibrillation alongside other issues and AF is being treated as is my DVT with apixaban while I await the cardiologist appointment

Throughout, and in hospital, my blood pressure has been excellent and gave no indication of what has followed
    A-fib is a risk factor for blood clots, I think ?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,976

slade said:

1) Don't move suddenly
    3)See your doctor with this info pronto to assess whst blood pressure tablets u r on and if not on one , what you should be on..... if req
    If moving suddenly causes dizziness, it might well be BPPV rather than BP.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/benign-paroxysmal-positional-vertigo-bppv#:~:text=Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a problem in the,sensation of spinning or movement.

It is worth noting too whether BP drops on standing too as "postural hypotension" may cause dizziness and falls. It is a side effect of a number of medications.

There is also interesting work on nocturnal dips in blood pressure and ischaemia events.

Mechanical falls happen at all ages, but it becomes more frequent with a variety of sensory impairments, and the impact of falls much worse with age.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

slade said:

slade said:

Yes hence apixaban (blood thinners) is one of the first lines of treatment
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    TimS said:

An ad on the radio just now got me thinking about American cultural imports in the last decade. There have been many: the rate has definitely accelerated. To name just a few:

- “Woke”
    - “Culture war”
    - “Incel”
    - “STEM”

I could go on. During that time all we’ve managed in return is to give them “close of play”

They still occasionally toe the line.

And there's no need for a kerfuffle over it.
    https://www.huffpost.com/entry/britishisms-in-american-english_n_5b69a9ede4b0b15abaa73cff/amp
  • Options
    Foxy said:

slade said:

1) Don't move suddenly
    If moving suddenly causes dizziness, it might well be BPPV rather than BP.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/benign-paroxysmal-positional-vertigo-bppv#:~:text=Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a problem in the,sensation of spinning or movement.

It is worth noting too whether BP drops on standing too as "postural hypotension" may cause dizziness and falls. It is a side effect of a number of medications.

There is also interesting work on nocturnal dips in blood pressure and ischaemia events.

Mechanical falls happen at all ages, but it becomes more frequent with a variety of sensory impairments, and the impact of falls much worse with age.

As far as I am aware a fall was the cause of the late, great, Sir Bobby Charlton's death
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    Nigelb said:

Good luck with that.

Social media firm boss says he will sue media watchdog that said ads were being placed alongside antisemitic content
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/nov/18/elon-musk-to-file-thermonuclear-lawsuit-as-advertisers-desert-x

They did, of course, cite evidence for their story, so it will be interesting to see the basis of his threatened suit.

I imagine the actual basis is that Elon, like a lot of company owners, is a snowflake bully used to using his money to grind people down from making or sustaining criticisms. But no doubt his lawyers will be able to craft something more substantive.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

NY Times

That isn't what it says.

That, I think, is the basis of the appeal. My understanding is that the Judge has taken the view that the amendment was to prevent former officers and elected officials in the Confederacy from standing but FWIW I agree that it seems somewhat wider than that.

In any sane country the fact that he had been found to have been an insurrectionist would be enough to make the rest of it academic.
  • Options
    Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Hmmmm
    ChatGPT is frankly, complete crap, even compared to where it was a couple of months ago, reading more and more like a rote-boilerplate-generator unable to step out of its generic-assistant's tone of voice. Note how we've all stopped talking about it on here.

I noticed that I only used it 10 times last month, and was about to cancel my subscription. Then I found out they'd linked it to DALLe and you can use it to create incredibly verbose prompts for detailed images, with really excellent results. So they have my subscription fee for now. But I hardly use it at all, except for the most mundane boilerplate text. "Write me a complaint letter to BT, etc"

Competition cannot come soon enough. The corporate LLMs are all hobbled, and the hobbyist ones aren't nearly smart enough, or simple enough to run.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Good luck with that.

I imagine the actual basis is that Elon, like a lot of company owners, is a snowflake bully used to using his money to grind people down from making or sustaining criticisms. But no doubt his lawyers will be able to craft something more substantive.
    Without commenting on the merits of his current spat, I'd note that his earlier litigation relating to Twitter ended up costing him several tens of billions.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

NY Times

That isn't what it says.

That, I think, is the basis of the appeal. My understanding is that the Judge has taken the view that the amendment was to prevent former officers and elected officials in the Confederacy from standing but FWIW I agree that it seems somewhat wider than that.

In any sane country the fact that he had been found to have been an insurrectionist would be enough to make the rest of it academic.
    I'm sure he'll get to stand in the end, but it is all a bit incredible. There are loads of people, not even his worshippers, who will talk about how he needs to be beaten at the ballot box not any other way, which is a fine sentiment in theory, except it is also used by him and others to argue that he should be above the law - if the law did in fact mean he could not stand, his popularity as a candidate should not override that. If he has broken the law then he should indeed be charged and possibly convicted for that, even if he is a candidate.

People accept that at lower levels, no one believes you shouldn't charge lesser politicians if they have in fact committed crimes, yet for fear of seeming to take him down not through an election people not even from his base do still object to some consequences from his behaviour. Not as many as this time last year when he was still being investigated not charged, but still some.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

slade said:

slade said:

I am on apixaban for life after my little excitement with blood clots on my lungs. I think it slows you down a bit ( or I am just getting old).
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,283
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Hmmmm
    ChatGPT is frankly, complete crap, even compared to where it was a couple of months ago, reading more and more like a rote-boilerplate-generator unable to step out of its generic-assistant's tone of voice. Note how we've all stopped talking about it on here.

I noticed that I only used it 10 times last month, and was about to cancel my subscription. Then I found out they'd linked it to DALLe and you can use it to create incredibly verbose prompts for detailed images, with really excellent results. So they have my subscription fee for now. But I hardly use it at all, except for the most mundane boilerplate text. "Write me a complaint letter to BT, etc"

Competition cannot come soon enough. The corporate LLMs are all hobbled, and the hobbyist ones aren't nearly smart enough, or simple enough to run.
    How did it manage to get worse? Could there be an Elizabeth Holmes-style fraud involved somehow?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Good luck with that.

Without commenting on the merits of his current spat, I'd note that his earlier litigation relating to Twitter ended up costing him several tens of billions.
    He should never be allowed to forget, whilst preening about how great he thinks twitter is and his important plans for it, that he attempted to pull out of the deal. Either because he wanted out, or because he wanted to get a better deal.

In either case, he failed, and that doesn't speak well of his judgement, even if he was surely right that he could fire lots of people without it all instantly collapsing.

I believe he is suing the lawyers the previous owners retained who forced him to buy them out at the agreed price.
  • Options
    T-10 mins!
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Hmmmm

I've not tried it myself but understand ChatGPT is becoming popular with techies to write computer programs and scripts (and presumably with their employers who no longer need to fork out good money for people who can already do this). Writing programs and scripts is probably of more interest to the Microsoft people now running the show, rather than prose and poetry.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

NY Times

That isn't what it says.

I'm sure he'll get to stand in the end, but it is all a bit incredible. There are loads of people, not even his worshippers, who will talk about how he needs to be beaten at the ballot box not any other way, which is a fine sentiment in theory, except it is also used by him and others to argue that he should be above the law - if the law did in fact mean he could not stand, his popularity as a candidate should not override that. If he has broken the law then he should indeed be charged and possibly convicted for that, even if he is a candidate.

People accept that at lower levels, no one believes you shouldn't charge lesser politicians if they have in fact committed crimes, yet for fear of seeming to take him down not through an election people not even from his base do still object to some consequences from his behaviour. Not as many as this time last year when he was still being investigated not charged, but still some.
    I rather hope that he doesn’t get to stand, or at least there is enough doubt about that the Republicans come to their senses ( a long shot I admit).

The partisan defeat of his impeachment left him getting away with serious crimes and misdemeanours during which several people died. I think it is really important that the US determines that there are major political consequences for such behaviour.

It is a bit like crossing the Rubicon. Once one party has done it and got away with it everyone has a go.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024
    SpaceX Starship about to go.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

SpaceX Starship about to go.

Or not! On hold
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,283
    TimS said:

- “Woke”
    - “Culture war”
    - “Incel”
    - “STEM”

We've given them Peppa Pig and TERF Island.
  • Options
    And it's off!
  • Options
    Looking a lot cleaner than last time
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

NY Times

That isn't what it says.

I rather hope that he doesn’t get to stand, or at least there is enough doubt about that the Republicans come to their senses ( a long shot I admit).

The partisan defeat of his impeachment left him getting away with serious crimes and misdemeanours during which several people died. I think it is really important that the US determines that there are major political consequences for such behaviour.

It is a bit like crossing the Rubicon. Once one party has done it and got away with it everyone has a go.
    Part of the reason some stated they did not impeach was that he could be held accountable without it. Then they, inevitably, have said he should not be accountable.

The next election could be very dirty and even violent - last time it was almost novel in its approach, the baseless legal challenges and then ridiculous claims (sure, the founders totally intended the VP could just decide the election themselves, that's democracy right?), and lots of people in key positions were not prepared to go along with it.

Now, although plenty of election deniers did not win their races (like Kari Lake in Arizona), the majority of GOP elected officials are election deniers, and this time they are going into the next election openly believing the last election was stolen, and that they would have gone along with the attempts to have states decertify results and so on. There's a real risk that they will follow through this time.

Some few have woken up as a result of 2020, like this former MAGA congressman, but not many have, even though it is just this simple.

In 2020, for the first time in American history, a sitting American President who lost an election refused to leave. That former President proved he hates America. That former President must never become President again.

And I don’t give a damn how old the current President is

https://nitter.net/WalshFreedom?cursor=DAABCgABF_N9fls__40KAAIX8Ok7o9fAXggAAwAAAAIAAA
  • Options
    All engines still running.
  • Options
    They've knocked that out the park. Well done SpaceX!
  • Options

Way to go!!
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Hmmmm

I've not tried it myself but understand ChatGPT is becoming popular with techies to write computer programs and scripts (and presumably with their employers who no longer need to fork out good money for people who can already do this). Writing programs and scripts is probably of more interest to the Microsoft people now running the show, rather than prose and poetry.
    You mean that they actually want it to be useful? What an outrageous idea.
  • Options
    Staging.
  • Options

Well, you jinxed that.
  • Options
    1st stage exploded.
  • Options

TimS said:

- “Woke”
    - “Culture war”
    - “Incel”
    - “STEM”

Not sure I have come across “circle back”. No doubt the loss is mine.

A promise to return to the issue at some later point. What does that have to do with baseball?
  • Options

Well, you jinxed that.
    They were not really expecting to get the first stage back. The main good things are:
    1) All engines worked without failure.
    2) The staging worked.

These are all massive pluses for the mission. We'll have to see why Stage 1 disintegrated, and what state the launch pad is in.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    This is an old one from last month, but saw this on Cringe Electoral Takes, and it's a truly outstanding example of the genre.

It says Source: General Election voting intentions from doorstep conversations with 2154 people across North Herefordshire between June 2022 and July 2023.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Well, you jinxed that.
    They were not really expecting to get the first stage back. The main good things are:
    1) All engines worked without failure.
    2) The staging worked.

These are all massive pluses for the mission. We'll have to see why Stage 1 disintegrated, and what state the launch pad is in.
    I think they've just lost it. Shortly before the 2nd stage engines were due to cut at 24,124 KM/H. A few thousand KM/H lower than orbital speed. :(
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 7,981
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

NY Times

That isn't what it says.

Probably, but it's not completely certain.
    A couple of the recent appointees very occasionally show non partisan tendencies. And might decide it's an opportunity to signal their unequivocal independence of Trump.
    I think the Republican-appointed judges will do what the Republican Party wants, which may not be the same as what Trump wants.

Of course, if the Supreme Court justices had the tinsiest ethical standards, those appointed by Trump would recuse themselves.

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,252
    With all best wishes, Mike, for a full and speedy recovery.

And much thanks to @TSE.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

NY Times

That isn't what it says.

Part of the reason some stated they did not impeach was that he could be held accountable without it. Then they, inevitably, have said he should not be accountable.

The next election could be very dirty and even violent - last time it was almost novel in its approach, the baseless legal challenges and then ridiculous claims (sure, the founders totally intended the VP could just decide the election themselves, that's democracy right?), and lots of people in key positions were not prepared to go along with it.

Now, although plenty of election deniers did not win their races (like Kari Lake in Arizona), the majority of GOP elected officials are election deniers, and this time they are going into the next election openly believing the last election was stolen, and that they would have gone along with the attempts to have states decertify results and so on. There's a real risk that they will follow through this time.

Some few have woken up as a result of 2020, like this former MAGA congressman, but not many have, even though it is just this simple.

In 2020, for the first time in American history, a sitting American President who lost an election refused to leave. That former President proved he hates America. That former President must never become President again.

And I don’t give a damn how old the current President is

https://nitter.net/WalshFreedom?cursor=DAABCgABF_N9fls__40KAAIX8Ok7o9fAXggAAwAAAAIAAA
    Yes the Republic has been greatly weakened by his actions and the failure to hold him to account. That is why I think that the issue goes well beyond Trump himself. He has widened the scope of the conceivable in the most powerful country in the world. America really needs to come to terms with this.
  • Options
    That was awesome to watch.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

slade said:

slade said:

I am on apixaban for life after my little excitement with blood clots on my lungs. I think it slows you down a bit ( or I am just getting old).
    Yes - I expect to be on apixaban for life and my issues have slowed me down and is why politics is not something too high on my agenda at present
  • Options

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Hmmmm

How did it manage to get worse? Could there be an Elizabeth Holmes-style fraud involved somehow?
    Short answer, alignment. I.e. post facto filtering of answers to align with usage guidelines, tone of voice guidelines and or anything else openai wants.

The more alignment it goes through, the further you get from the natural answer it would spit out, which is usually superior.

Case in point, a lot of people were using it as a therapist and it gave quite deep psychological answers that demonstrated genuine insight. Now it spits out "you sound depressed! Have you tried heating healthier or getting more exercise?" Like it's clippy 2.0

There are regular threads on the chatgpt subreddit of lonely/depressed people who can't afford the cost of mental health treatment sharing jailbreaks to get their therapist back.

This is the same for more or less any "character" you used to be able to get it to play as, I was able to prompt it quite simply to "roleplay as a marketing director and analyse..." now it only spits out generic answers as "helpful assistant" that are usually pretty basic and unhelpful.

• Options
    Ooh, maybe they lost it.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Ooh, maybe they lost it.

They did. The telemetry froze at the same point the point on the screen appeared a little fuzzy. I miht be wrong, but I think it was a little short of orbital speed.

Still a successful test. (I called the first test a failure).
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Ooh, maybe they lost it.

They did. The telemetry froze at the same point the point on the screen appeared a little fuzzy. I miht be wrong, but I think it was a little short of orbital speed.

Still a successful test. (I called the first test a failure).
    Yep, successful test.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,671

Many of the largest advertisers are the greatest oppressors of your right to free speech."

"Yup. Premium+ is a great way to support free speech and not support those “woke” organizations"

What did he actually say? I heard a BBC report but they declined to repeat it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TimS said:

- “Woke”
    - “Culture war”
    - “Incel”
    - “STEM”

Not sure I have come across “circle back”. No doubt the loss is mine.

A promise to return to the issue at some later point. What does that have to do with baseball?
    It’s used when someone has set off for the next base but realises they won’t make it in time so turns around and “circles back” to where they were. Apparently.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

What did he actually say? I heard a BBC report but they declined to repeat it.
    I hate it when they do that. It means people have no idea what someone actually said and thus how bad it may be. The reader is expected to just accept it. In this case I know he has said stuff at least as or worse before. The man loves conspiracies.

But companies are more concerned about nazi posts apparently showing up next to their advertising than his comments.
This discussion has been closed.