Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A personal note from Mike Smithson – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited November 2023 in General
imageA personal note from Mike Smithson – politicalbetting.com

PBers will notice that I have not been active recently. Just over a fortnight ago I had a fall which is not a very good thing for someone approaching their 78th birthday.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    All the best
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,442
    Get well soon, Mr Smithson.

It is the only thing that will save us from Global Annihilation.

@TSE running PB!?!? Sell everything! To the bunkers!
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,290
    Noooooooooo not @TSE

It will be nuclear war by January. Or aliens, natch

Hope the recovery continues, OGH
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    Leon said:

Noooooooooo not @TSE

Surprised you're not offering AI to take over!
  • Options
    Leon said:

Noooooooooo not @TSE

Why not both?

Nuclear War with Aliens?
  • Options
    Glad to hear Mike you are on the mend.

Looking forward to next year's frenzy of political betting.
  • Options
    GWS, and try to avoid falling over again would be my advice.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    Best wishes Mike.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Get well soon Mike OGH.
  • Options
    Hope you get well soon, Mr. Smithson.
  • Options

Get well soon, Mr Smithson.

It is the only thing that will save us from Global Annihilation.

@TSE running PB!?!? Sell everything! To the bunkers!

The bunkers. Slurp.

Sorry- thought you were proposing a toast.

Beyond that, get well soon OGH, for all our sakes.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    Keep steady Mike
  • Options
    I’ve got the same dilemma AGAIN

Pool or sea?

• Options
    In fact the dilemma is even worse this time because I’ve realised the main hotel pool is about 10 yards to my right

So my dilemma is private pool, big pool, or sea

How the fuck are you meant to know what to do? It’s ridiculous.
  • Options
    Might go sea. Go mad
  • Options
    Or pool to start with. Both
  • Options
    Maybe pool, sea, big pool, sea again, cocktail, pool, beer, pool, sea, tequila sunrise, sea, big pool, look at hummingbird, sea, pool, pool, pool, caiprinha, mojito, coma
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,649
    Get well soon Mike.
  • Options
    All the best Mike
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your fall and wishing you a speedy recovery. As you say, you certainly have a lot of political betting opportunities to incentivise your recovery!
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    Best wishes to Mike.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Speedy recovery Mike. Yes, big year coming up in politicsville. Much to hope for, much to dread.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,037
    All the best Mike. Hope you recover quickly.
  • Options
    Beaches are nice

You can sit around and do stuff, especially if you have some kind of towel or rug. Sometimes have a drink

Then you can walk over and go in the sea and then come out again
  • Options
    Leon said:

Maybe pool, sea, big pool, sea again, cocktail, pool, beer, pool, sea, tequila sunrise, sea, big pool, look at hummingbird, sea, pool, pool, pool, caiprinha, mojito, coma

Meanwhile in London. Michaelmas Term lately over, and the Lord Chancellor sitting in Lincoln’s Inn Hall. Implacable November weather. As much mud in the streets as if the waters had but newly retired from the face of the earth, and it would not be wonderful to meet a Megalosaurus, forty feet long or so, waddling like an elephantine lizard up Holborn Hill.

Smoke lowering down from chimney-pots, making a soft black drizzle, with flakes of soot in it as big as full-grown snow-flakes gone into mourning, one might imagine, for the death of the sun. Dogs, undistinguishable in mire. Horses, scarcely better; splashed to their very blinkers. Foot passengers, jostling one another’s umbrellas in a general infection of ill-temper, and losing their foot-hold at street-corners, where tens of thousands of other foot passengers have been slipping and sliding since the day broke (if the day ever broke), adding new deposits to the crust upon crust of mud, sticking at those points tenaciously to the pavement, and accumulating at compound interest.

• Options
    Sorry to hear this Mike. Best of luck in making a full recovery.

We are all very luck to have @TheScreamingEagles running the site.
  • Options
    Take it easy, Mike.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Best of luck, Mike.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    All the very best, Mike, and many thanks to TSE.
  • Options

Mike, TSE, RCS,

The thought occurs that there are quite a few of us on here who are retired with a bit of time to spare, and many with IT skills and experience. If there's ever a need for more support or input to keep the site going I am sure there would be willing and skilled volunteers (or semi-skilled in my case).

Just put the call out.

Appreciate it.

If anybody has ideas for guest threads message me.
  • Options
    I’m surprised they aren’t more popular. Beaches. There’s virtually no one here. Look

I reckon I’m the first person to realise this: beaches are nice. Lots of space and you can swim and stuff

Could be money in it
  • Options
    BTW, SpaceX may well be launching their massive SH/SS rocket at around 13.00 today (UK time).
  • Options
    If anyone is interested, I think this is an investment opportunity

You find a really nice beach, like this one, with warm sun and soft surf and white sand. Then you build a hotel RIGHT BY THE BEACH!! Call it a “resort”

So it’s easy for people to go down to the sea and come out again and sit on towels or special long chairs

Message me on vanilla
  • Options
    Leon said:

I’m surprised they aren’t more popular. Beaches. There’s virtually no one here. Look

I reckon I’m the first person to realise this: beaches are nice. Lots of space and you can swim and stuff

Could be money in it

Plenty beaches las empty as that to be found on the west coast ofScotland
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Best wishes for your continued recovery OGH
  • Options
    Get well soon Mike!
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    TimS said:

Leon said:

Meanwhile in London. Michaelmas Term lately over, and the Lord Chancellor sitting in Lincoln’s Inn Hall. Implacable November weather. As much mud in the streets as if the waters had but newly retired from the face of the earth, and it would not be wonderful to meet a Megalosaurus, forty feet long or so, waddling like an elephantine lizard up Holborn Hill.

Smoke lowering down from chimney-pots, making a soft black drizzle, with flakes of soot in it as big as full-grown snow-flakes gone into mourning, one might imagine, for the death of the sun. Dogs, undistinguishable in mire. Horses, scarcely better; splashed to their very blinkers. Foot passengers, jostling one another’s umbrellas in a general infection of ill-temper, and losing their foot-hold at street-corners, where tens of thousands of other foot passengers have been slipping and sliding since the day broke (if the day ever broke), adding new deposits to the crust upon crust of mud, sticking at those points tenaciously to the pavement, and accumulating at compound interest.

The greatest opening chapter to a novel ever.
  • Options

Leon said:

The fifth consecutive "me, me, me" post from @Leon.

It's not always about you. Where's the "off topic" button? Oh it's gone.

Best wishes OGH.
    It was an existential riff on the quiddity of life

Also, beaches. = nice
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756
    Mike

hope you have a speedy recovery

Take it easy for a bit
  • Options

TimS said:

Leon said:

No wonder Dickens moved to France
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,221
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Best wishes OGH.

Also, beaches. = nice
    Yeah, it really cheers the rest of us up here in wet, windswept chaotic old Blighty.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756

Mike, TSE, RCS,

The thought occurs that there are quite a few of us on here who are retired with a bit of time to spare, and many with IT skills and experience. If there's ever a need for more support or input to keep the site going I am sure there would be willing and skilled volunteers (or semi-skilled in my case).

Just put the call out.

Appreciate it.

If anybody has ideas for guest threads message me.
    we need one on Scotland or Wales
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801

Leon said:

Could be money in it

Plenty beaches las empty as that to be found on the west coast ofScotland
    There's one aboiut 40km long along the west coast of South Uist - okay, interrupted by the odd rocky headland, but still. And with the machair behind the dunes with its flowers in season.
  • Options
    Get well soon Mike OGH.

Good morning

Seems we have both been in the wars recently Mike, and best wishes to you and take care

I have had a couple of falls recently, but fortunately did not end up in hospital, and I am more aware and pleased I fitted handrails everywhere in the house and garden recently

It seems our family are going through a phase of emergency hospital visits with myself a month ago, our youngest granddaughter 10 days ago who is now OK, and last night another of our granddaughters admitted at 4.00am and is waiting for the surgeons to take out her appendix later today

Oh dear, good luck to your granddaughter in surgery today.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Best wishes OGH.

Also, beaches. = nice
    Yeah, it really cheers the rest of us up here in wet, windswept chaotic old Blighty.
    But isn’t it cheering to know that at least one pb-er is basking in glorious sunshine on a long, exquisite, white sand beach, knowing that in about an hour, as the sun sets over the Bay of Thailand, he will be having free cocktails? Doesn’t that - just a tiny bit - lift your spirits as you stare at the cold relentless drizzle?

Why be such a sourpuss? In a very real sense you are with me, via my endless descriptions, pointless comments and annoying photos
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    Hope to see you back in good form soon, Mike.
  • Options
    I can see when I’m not wanted

I’m going for a swim IN THE SEA
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003
    Leon said:

If only.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

TimS said:

Leon said:

Interestingly, on checking, too early for the Crystal Palace (Sydenham) Megalosaurus - which was Richad Owen's mammal-based reconstruction. Not the older, Gideon Mantell, lizard-based reconstruction. Dickens's wording does point to the latter.

https://www.mediastorehouse.co.uk/science-photo-library/1838-megalosaurus-iguanodon-martin-6346659.html
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

Leon said:

Could be money in it

Plenty beaches as empty as that to be found on the west coast of Scotland
    That's Leon's next trip planned then.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689

Leon said:

Best wishes OGH.
    Somethings are better on Instagram, particularly as I don't use it.

Best wishes Mike, hope my colleagues are treating you well.
  • Options
    Leon said:

I’m going for a swim IN THE SEA

Yes @Leon. Get in the sea.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Best wishes OGH.

Also, beaches. = nice
    But isn’t it cheering to know that at least one pb-er is basking in glorious sunshine on a long, exquisite, white sand beach, knowing that in about an hour, as the sun sets over the Bay of Thailand, he will be having free cocktails? Doesn’t that - just a tiny bit - lift your spirits as you stare at the cold relentless drizzle?

Why be such a sourpuss? In a very real sense you are with me, via my endless descriptions, pointless comments and annoying photos
    No.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,193
    Get well soon Mike.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Best wishes OGH.

Also, beaches. = nice
    Bright sun here in SE Scotland, after a brief squall of rain.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Could be money in it

Plenty beaches as empty as that to be found on the west coast of Scotland
    That's Leon's next trip planned then.
    Lots of flints to be knapped there!
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Best wishes OGH.

Also, beaches. = nice
    Bright sun here in Dubai, after a brief squall of rain.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

BTW, SpaceX may well be launching their massive SH/SS rocket at around 13.00 today (UK time).

Note to Elon - spend more time on the rockets, and less on the open antisemitism and conspiracy theories. Wouldn't be the first to do that.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Best wishes OGH.

FWIW I like @Leon travel postings.

• Options
    Stay well, Mike. Thanks for everything and to TSE too, he has been doing great work although will be too modest to want it mentioned.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Best wishes OGH.

Also, beaches. = nice
    You can stare at the Met Office's dynamic 15-min forecasts and prepare to dash outside when it shows an upcoming clear spell

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Best wishes OGH.

Also, beaches. = nice
    Not here. The sky is grey here. And all the leaves are brown.
  • Options

Stay well, Mike. Thanks for everything and to TSE too, he has been doing great work although will be too modest to want it mentioned.

Yes he overdoes the modesty imo. It gets in the way sometimes.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited November 2023
    Sorry to hear you had a fall, Mike. Get well soon and know we're all thinking of you.

I suppose TSE has done well. Still has terrible fashion sense, mind. 😂
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Note to Elon - spend more time on the rockets, and less on the open antisemitism and conspiracy theories. Wouldn't be the first to do that.
    Whereas Tory Bruno, the head of rocket company ULA, is brilliant on social media.

As an aside, ULA is currently up for sale, and the rumours are that the buyer is going to be Bezos's Blue Origin. Which will be quite a shake-up of the market. I really hope Bruno stays on.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    All the best Mike!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Best wishes OGH.

Also, beaches. = nice
    You'd be safe and warm, if you were in LA.
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 599
    edited November 2023
    I'm sorry to hear about your fall. I hope your hospital stay proved satisfactory.

An 87-year-old friend recently fell backwards on the stairs and hit his head. His wife drove him to the local hospital, which checked him out and said he was OK. The next day he had a headache and felt woozy. She returned him to the hospital, which this time carried out a scan. They found he had a fractured skull, a bleed to the brain and a fractured hip.

I do hope your hospital was more efficient. Best wishes for speedy recovery.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    @Leon assume you've been keeping up with the rats leaving the sinking ship at OpenAI? Not seen a company throw talent away like that in a long time. Microsoft speed running the Nokia business plan IMO.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Best wishes OGH.

Also, beaches. = nice
    Yes. Although when I went there the last time I took a walk where I shouldn't have and I felt only one of those two things.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Best wishes OGH.

Also, beaches. = nice

Bay of Thailand? I thought you were in Colombia.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,689

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Best wishes OGH.

FWIW I like @Leon travel postings.

I don't mind the odd one, but the relentless narcissism of repeated posts is a bit wearing.
  • Options
    Very best wishes to you Mike. Here's to a full and rapid recovery.

And thanks to TSE too, who does and sterling job and takes my teasing well.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about your fall. Get well soon, Mike!
  • Options
    edited November 2023

kle4 said:

Whereas Tory Bruno, the head of rocket company ULA, is brilliant on social media.

As an aside, ULA is currently up for sale, and the rumours are that the buyer is going to be Bezos's Blue Origin. Which will be quite a shake-up of the market. I really hope Bruno stays on.
    Sadly, there are few possibilities where Tory is actually given full decision making authority. The parents of ULA keep trying to turn off even the SMART project for Vulcan. As they see it, spending money on R&D is bad.

In additional insanity, they also believe that ULA shouldn’t do reusability, since that’s what they (the parents) think they can sell to the US Taxpayers. See the X38. Yes, this completely ignore the large, stainless steel, elephant in the room.

Blue buying ULA - not sure that will improve either. The management at Blue could do with wholesale replacement - but it would be unlikely to be Tory bringing in his guys.

The hedge fund buyout sounds horribly plausible - fly the Vulcan contracts out, gut the company.

• Options
    Did Boris Johnson’s circle try to ‘fix’ who became head of Ofcom?
    A potential cover-up I unearthed in the weeds of Nadine Dorries’s book remains a mystery. It has damaged the BBC, the broadcast regulator, and the process of public appointments

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/63982/boris-johnson-nadine-dorries-ofcom

Not much unearthing required by former Guardian editor Alan Rusbridger. He read about it in Nadine's book, or possibly the serialisation or coverage of the serialisation of Nadine's book.

Anyway, Nad got her way over the wily fixers and Boris appointed her nominee, Michael Grade, who luckily enough is a Tory anyway.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Best wishes OGH.

Also, beaches. = nice

Cambodia
  • Options
    I won't link to it, but this is the sort of Musk fanboism that would be laughable if it was not so darned dangerous:

"Today 𝕏 and Elon faced a lot of adversity. Apple, Comcast, Disney, IBM, Lionsgate, Paramount, Warner Brothers, NBC universal, and the European Commission all pulled advertisement funding on 𝕏 because Elon has taken a stand against every form of racism.

This will not stop Elon however.

Tomorrow at 8am EST Starship will once again rise as a testament to adversities inability to stop Elon.

Nothing will stop humanity, nothing will stop SpaceX, nothing will stop 𝕏, and nobody can stop Elon.

Elon, you’re a hero of mine. It’s incredible to watch the work you do!"

No, they pulled advertising because your hero is an @sshat.

(BTW, I really wish I'd chosen a PB username of sshat, just for when people @'ed me...)
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,685
    Best wishes OGH.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Best wishes OGH.

Also, beaches. = nice

Cambodia
    He misread the departure board and got on the wrong plane?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    For Steely Dan enthusiasts, this is a great NPR interview from a couple of decades ago.
    https://www.npr.org/2014/04/18/304552322/steely-dan-on-piano-jazz

Starts out a little slow, but picks up fast. Includes Josie and Black Friday performed live.
  • Options
    I’m back

*basks in welcoming smiles*

*politely asks PB to stop cheering and sit down*
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,828

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Best wishes OGH.

Also, beaches. = nice
    Perhaps one could stop into a church. If worried about being ejected one could pretend to pray. Apparently the preacher likes the cold, because people entering the church are gonna stay because of it.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

@Leon assume you've been keeping up with the rats leaving the sinking ship at OpenAI? Not seen a company throw talent away like that in a long time. Microsoft speed running the Nokia business plan IMO.

I have. And I’ve heard rumours
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,056
    Hope you are feeling better Mike
  • Options

kle4 said:

Sadly, there are few possibilities where Tory is actually given full decision making authority. The parents of ULA keep trying to turn off even the SMART project for Vulcan. As they see it, spending money on R&D is bad.

In additional insanity, they also believe that ULA shouldn’t do reusability, since that’s what they (the parents) think they can sell to the US Taxpayers. See the X38. Yes, this completely ignore the large, stainless steel, elephant in the room.

Blue buying ULA - not sure that will improve either. The management at Blue could do with wholesale replacement - but it would be unlikely to be Tory bringing in his guys.

The hedge fund buyout sounds horribly plausible - fly the Vulcan contracts out, gut the company.
    Blue buying it would be intriguing, especially give the recent change in BO's management.

As an aside, can you remember how people said that SpaceX's Artmeis lander would require 16 refuellings in orbit? And Musky Baby said, at the time NASA awarded them the contract, that it would just be three or four? Well, SpaceX has now admitted it will be "high teens", which will have to be done quickly to avoid boil-off in orbit.

It wasn't even a good lie; it was a stupid lie. Especially when Blu Origin made this infrographic. How the Musk Fanois laughed at the time...

https://twitter.com/astrogrant/status/1725533704246939719
  • Options
    By the way that volcano near Grindavik is still due to erupt imminently.

https://t.co/Twi4W2epdQ

No suggestion of anything too catastrophic though.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Best wishes OGH.

Also, beaches. = nice

Cambodia

Koh Rong island in the Bay of Thailand

I STRONGLY recommend Cambodia at the moment. It is still empty post Covid. So it’s cheap and the beaches - as you can see - are blissfully quiet

I met a French couple kayaking today and they said even Angkor Wat is quiet. They had Ta Prohm (the famous temple with the tree growing out of the wall) to themselves

That’s basically unheard of. And paradoxically travel WITHIN Cambodia has never been easier, thanks to gleaming new Chinese roads. And the food is vastly improved from 5-10 years ago
  • Options
    StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,056

Did Boris Johnson’s circle try to ‘fix’ who became head of Ofcom?
    A potential cover-up I unearthed in the weeds of Nadine Dorries’s book remains a mystery. It has damaged the BBC, the broadcast regulator, and the process of public appointments

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/politics/63982/boris-johnson-nadine-dorries-ofcom

Not much unearthing required by former Guardian editor Alan Rusbridger. He read about it in Nadine's book, or possibly the serialisation or coverage of the serialisation of Nadine's book.

Anyway, Nad got her way over the wily fixers and Boris appointed her nominee, Michael Grade, who luckily enough is a Tory anyway.

Isn’t it a government appointment by statute?

So what is the definition of “fixing”?

Choosing a candidate the guardian doesn’t like?

• Options
    Okay, here's something that's really annoyed me: a new road is being built from Caxton Gibbett (west of Cambridge) to the A1 at the Black Cat. The road is needed; and sadly there was another fatality on it yesterday.

The scheme was planned over a number of years, and planning granted. Then, at the last moment, an 'environmental' group put in a legal challenge to stop it. Then when that lost, they appealed. This challenge delayed work six months, when they were just about to start work.

The builders, Skanska, got awarded £24 million to compensate them for the delays.

That's £24 million, on top of the legal and other costs to fight the challenge.

This fuckwittery is one of the reasons why our infrastructure costs so much.

https://www.newcivilengineer.com/latest/national-highways-pays-skanska-additional-24m-for-a428-black-cat-scheme-after-legal-delays-16-11-2023/
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

You mean you've read someone sh*tposting on Twitter... ;)
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Best wishes OGH.

Also, beaches. = nice

Cambodia

Koh Rong island in the Bay of Thailand

I STRONGLY recommend Cambodia at the moment. It is still empty post Covid. So it’s cheap and the beaches - as you can see - are blissfully quiet

I met a French couple kayaking today and they said even Angkor Wat is quiet. They had Ta Prohm (the famous temple with the tree growing out of the wall) to themselves

That’s basically unheard of. And paradoxically travel WITHIN Cambodia has never been easier, thanks to gleaming new Chinese roads. And the food is vastly improved from 5-10 years ago
    The food wasn’t bad when we went, 10 or so years ago. The roads, though, were dreadful!
    And Angkor Wat was indeed busy.
  • Options
    The most prominent foreign nationality here on Koh Rong - at least in this fairly posh resort - is Brits

You have to admire the relentless British tourist. We’re everywhere. Either we still have the imperial spirit to conquer everywhere, and it is now sublimated into tourism, or we still have the perpetual and pathological need to escape our climate

Perhaps it is a mix of both
  • Options

Leon said:

MaxPB said:

You mean you've read someone sh*tposting on Twitter... ;)
    No. Bit more than that. But mum’s the word

I’m pretty sure the reality will be revealed quite soon
This discussion has been closed.