Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Rwandan discussions – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,187

Leon said:

Very soon, Labour will not be able to nominate gay candidates in constituencies with large Muslim minorities

https://x.com/madz_grant/status/1725083671437185265?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

Well done, the British left. You utter utter morons

Very soon? That's an 8 year old poll just saying.
    You think they have all recanted since then and now love gays
  • Options
    Money cannot continue to be poured into the NHS – Wes Streeting
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/nhs-wes-streeting-louis-money-liverpool-b2447872.html

There doesn't seem to be any betting on next Chancellor of the Exchequer (Ladbrokes had a market up for about five minutes recently iirc) but if there were, what price Wes Streeting who also said: the case he would have to make to Rachel Reeves if she becomes chancellor?

If.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,023
    edited November 2023
    Pulpstar said:

Nigelb said:

FPT

Despite all the ramping of wind power being cheap why do we need to subsidise the industry ?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/11/16/coutinho-boost-subsidies-wind-farm-projects-auction-flop/

Wind fans please explain.
    Costs for wind are mostly upfront, so the cost of debt is a much larger part of the overall cost.

The cost of debt has recently increased by a large amount. This makes wind relatively more expensive than it was previously.

I'm pretty confident that the technology will continue to develop and drive costs down.
    Nah. Corporate bigwigs think they have HMG by the balls and have upped their ransom demands.
    The old strike price would have meant building capacity at a loss, so no one bid.
    Increasing it to a point where capacity gets built isn't giving in to a "ransom demand", it's just how the market works.

Cost of finance and raw materials (notably steel) are up massively since the last round.

Current wholesale commodity price for UK electricity is currently around 100p per kWh, incidentally.
    https://www.businesswisesolutions.co.uk/energy-market-snapshot/

Note Luckyguy was arguing against building surplus capacity when it was much cheaper to do so.

Planning your national energy infrastructure isn't a one year project, and we've done it pretty poorly for the last decade. But wind (and tidal) are resources which aren't going to run out, and ought not to have to crater our balance of payments for the next few decades, which importing gas will.

Apologies but you've made an important typo in your workings - Leccy is around £100/MwH which is 10 pence per kilowatt Hour.

Wholesale around £1/KwH would completely screw everything over.

Sorry, brain fade.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,437
    148grss said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

She, of course, said white people couldn't use it - that would be different. And that's the whole point.

So the whole point is to cast white people as the out-group?
    Like, in this situation white people could be considered an "out-group", in the same way you could argue when queer people reclaim slurs straight people are an "out-group" - in that they too cannot use that slur.

Does this just boil down to white / straight people being annoyed that it isn't socially acceptable for them to say slurs or use stereotypes? Do people just get angry at seeing people make jokes or use language about their own community that it wouldn't be acceptable for them to use, because of historical and political context, and just get mad for no reason? Can white / straight people only understand language usage as a battle that they win or lose, as zero sum? Is that what the issue is here?
    No, its double standards.
    If by "double standard" you mean there is a different context for its usage within the community and outside of the community - then yeah, duh.

Is it a double standard for a man to call his female partner "babe" and it not be an issue, but for the same woman to be annoyed if someone else called her "babe"?
    So much of this stuff just boils down to 'don't be a dick', as immortalised by the Last Leg. Treat people with respect. Be polite. Etc. My cricket team is an exceptionally abusive place - to its own players. We mock mercillously, take the piss etc. I think sometimes our opponents find it a bit strange. An yet its actually about closeness of the players that we do this. We wouldn't to a newer player who was not yet fully into swing of things.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,939

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/nhs-wes-streeting-louis-money-liverpool-b2447872.html

There doesn't seem to be any betting on next Chancellor of the Exchequer (Ladbrokes had a market up for about five minutes recently iirc) but if there were, what price Wes Streeting who also said: the case he would have to make to Rachel Reeves if she becomes chancellor?

If.

If Hunt is standing down at the GE, I would expect another Tory Cancellor in post for the campaign.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,229
    148grss said:

148grss said:

She, of course, said white people couldn't use it - that would be different. And that's the whole point.

Like, in this situation white people could be considered an "out-group", in the same way you could argue when queer people reclaim slurs straight people are an "out-group" - in that they too cannot use that slur.

Does this just boil down to white / straight people being annoyed that it isn't socially acceptable for them to say slurs or use stereotypes? Do people just get angry at seeing people make jokes or use language about their own community that it wouldn't be acceptable for them to use, because of historical and political context, and just get mad for no reason? Can white / straight people only understand language usage as a battle that they win or lose, as zero sum? Is that what the issue is here?
    Perhaps "shit posters" should define themselves as a community. That way they can get away with being offensive and develop new intersectional alliances.

You would sadly be excluded because you are far too earnest, but you could be an ally to the shit posting community.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,688
    edited November 2023
    The gay Muslim tweet argument has gone down the wrong road

The original point is this: a time is coming when Labour will - when choosing candidate for a heavily Muslim constituency - avoid choosing a gay candidate. Heck, it might have happened already. It will definitely happen in the future as the Muslim population grows

Eventually that will affect politics and the gay community as a whole: London is now “twice as homophobic” as the UK average (IIRC) - it’s obvious why that is

This is why I believe a party for conservative Muslim voters would be a GOOD thing. Within a PR system, ideally

Then larger parties won’t have to compromise on completely core values
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Stocky said:

With interest rates on savings of over 5% and inflation below 5% now I think I'm right in saying that this is the first time since the credit crunch of 2008 that there has been a real rate of interest in the UK

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/FR.INR.RINR?locations=GB

Yes, I think that is correct, unless we had deflation at some point.
    We did very briefly in 2015.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,183
    edited November 2023
    Rwanda II: The Return seems to revolve around those that fail their asylum application no longer being sent back to their origin country. Where then are they sent? To the UK?

The way I read it, is that those that pass their asylum claim will be settled in Rwanda; whereas those who fail it will be onshored in the UK.

So better to fail it (assuming you prefer the UK to Rwanda)?
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,796

148grss said:

Sean_F said:

148grss said:

Sandpit said:

148grss said:

This

Just because it’s coming from black and Asian people, doesn’t mean it’s not horrifically racist.
    I’ll be brutally honest.

I get more angry when someone calls me a coconut than when I get called a Paki.
    Really? I'm pretty sure my wife would say the opposite. Although neither happens with any frequency these days.
    The people who use the term coconut should know better.

I was talking to my Nigerian boss about this. She thinks it is fine for that term to be used within the community, like when calling out people who leverage their identity to do things that hurt their community (like she said amongst her friend group it wouldn't be uncommon to refer to a politician like Kemi Badenoch that way). She, of course, said white people couldn't use it - that would be different. And that's the whole point.
    "Coconut" is generally considered a racial slur, there's even case law on the point.
    Yes, and interestingly that case law is about a black woman using the term. Despite it being, from my understanding (and my Nigerian bosses telling), a term that originated in the Afro-Caribbean community.

Like, the n-word is a slur that I think would be considered criminal in certain circumstances. Is it a crime for young black men to go up to each other and say "what's up my n-word"? Clearly not.
    And what about a white friend of said young black men? Presumably its all context.
    I would argue yes - although I know many people who would be very uncomfortable with that, myself included. Like there is the half-joke about "giving you the n-word pass", where someone says "it's okay, you can say it". Again, in that situation I wouldn't imagine it criminal or bigoted. But then if you were the white friend you have to know in what situation it's okay and what situation it isn't.
  • Options
    Leon said:

The original point is this: a time is coming when Labour will - when choosing candidate for a heavily Muslim constituency - avoid choosing a gay candidate. Heck, it might have happened already. It will definitely happen in the future as the Muslim population grows

Eventually that will affect politics and the gay community as a whole: London is now “twice as homophobic” as the UK average (IIRC) - it’s obvious why that is

This is why I believe a party for conservative Muslim voters would be a GOOD thing. Within a PR system, ideally

Yes, but your premise is based on 8 year old data, and the example you highlighted was of queer muslims chatting about homophobia in the muslim community - people who wouldn't want to support a homophobic party, muslim or otherwise.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Definite thaw in relations seems to be confirmed.

Chinese President Xi Jinping signaled that China will send new pandas to the United States, calling them “envoys of friendship between the Chinese and American peoples.”
    https://twitter.com/seungminkim/status/1725133350300491853

(Would be nice if they could just leave the poor pandas alone, though.)
  • Options

Rwanda II: The Return seems to revolve around those that fail their asylum application no longer being sent back to their origin country. Where then are they sent? To the UK?

The way I read it, is that those that pass their asylum claim will be settled in Rwanda; whereas those who fail it will be onshored in the UK.

The Rwanda plan was: send them to Rwanda.

We don't care what happens when they get there. On paper they are then able to apply for asylum there. If they fail on paper they get shipped back to wherever - which I believe is one of the areas the SC has ruled is illegal on many fronts. Of course @Leon et al will tell you that would never happen as nobody will come here if they are to be sent to Rwanda.

So I don't think the detail was ever considered. This was a crayon drawing of a "policy"
  • Options

148grss said:

148grss said:

Perhaps "shit posters" should define themselves as a community. That way they can get away with being offensive and develop new intersectional alliances.

You would sadly be excluded because you are far too earnest, but you could be an ally to the shit posting community.
    That already exists. That's why I can go on reddit right now and see groups like "teenshitposting" or "cricketshitposting" or "shitpostinglatam". Others don't have shit posting in the title - I'm in me_irlgbt; essentially a queer shit posting community.

Is this just old people shouting at kids on their lawn?
  • Options
    148grss said:

Leon said:

Yes, but your premise is based on 8 year old data, and the example you highlighted was of queer muslims chatting about homophobia in the muslim community - people who wouldn't want to support a homophobic party, muslim or otherwise.
    But the evidence on homophobia in London is much more recent

And the most homophobic place IN London?

Tower Hamlets

https://www.eastlondonadvertiser.co.uk/news/crime/20950638.homophobic-hate-crime-rates-tower-hamlets-among-highest-london/
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,229
    https://metro.co.uk/2023/10/20/london-appeal-to-find-six-men-after-gay-couple-assaulted-19693459/

Images of six men have been released following a homophobic assault on a gay couple in East London.

It happened at around 5.30pm on October 1, when two men in their 20s were walking along High Road, Chadwell Heath.

The couple were targeted by a gang and one of them viciously attacked one of the men with a ‘wooden panel with nails in it’.
  • Options

The whole policy is just fecking stupid from start to finish.

The only way I might even consider Rwanda being used (and I am still not convinced about it at all) would be as a destination for asylum seekers who have failed their applications in the UK.

But even then there are all sorts of issues which would almost certainly make it unworkable.
  • Options
    148grss said:

Leon said:

It also assumes that homophobia trumps all other considerations.

For example, I am opposed to cannabis legalisation, but it is far down the batting order of issues that I would consider when choosing between candidates.

Incidentally a lot of homophobia in other communities too, not least Ulster Presbyterians.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,150

Foxy said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Home Secretary James Cleverly has defended emergency laws to revive plans to fly asylum seekers to Rwanda, as a former Supreme Court justice said the measures would be extraordinary.
    Lord Sumption said the move "won't make any difference" after the Supreme Court ruled the policy was unlawful.
    Mr Cleverly disagreed with the criticism and said a new treaty with Rwanda would allow flights to depart.
    He did not deny previously describing the Rwanda policy as "batshit".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67436841

Sunak seems to be scaling new heights of stupidity over this.

It has to be said that I am now starting to sense Trussian levels of panic in the government now.

As absolutely bonkers as it sounds, maybe we are going to be on Prime Minister no.4 of the Parliament soon.
    According to the same article, even Priti Patel is saying it will be difficult to get the "emergency batshit" legislation through the Lords.
    But isn't this the point? Its about having the 'blob' stopping the Government from stopping the Boats. Its classic culture wars.
    When you say "blob" presumably you mean "law"?
    Its not my opinion - I think the plan is ludicrous. But the idea of having a government stymied by the courts and the Lords and thus unable to enact its policy is exactly the conflict that the right of the party wants.
    There's a huge difference between the Lords not passing something and the court saying something is illegal.

The courts are just following the law as enacted, to best of their abilities. The Lords is part of the law making process. If they block something then that is their constitutional right and the Commons adjust the Act in question or it does the Parliament Act thing.
    The Commons can't now do "the Parliament Act thing" this side of then next general election for legislation that hasn't yet been introduced.

(Yes, technically it can - but it couldn't then fit the election before Xmas 2024 meaning the campaign would have to go over Xmas/NY, and even then, there's only about a maximum for 4 weeks' leeway).
    If Sunak has become sufficiently detached from reality, perhaps he could seek to create several hundred new peers?
  • Options

https://metro.co.uk/2023/10/20/london-appeal-to-find-six-men-after-gay-couple-assaulted-19693459/

Images of six men have been released following a homophobic assault on a gay couple in East London.

It happened at around 5.30pm on October 1, when two men in their 20s were walking along High Road, Chadwell Heath.

The couple were targeted by a gang and one of them viciously attacked one of the men with a ‘wooden panel with nails in it’.

Now you’re just stereotyping. With, er, photos
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited November 2023

With all the advancement in technology, I am always struck just how shit CCTV cameras still are. I thought all these Chinese cameras were supposed to be dead good as they were developed to track and identify all their own undesirables.
  • Options
    148grss said:

isam said:

🥴🙄

Again, whilst I am not quite happy with Owen's response (partly the issue of X / Twitter character limits), I think the broad point is just. This seems like an example of people shitposting about their intersecting communities - the LGBTQ+ community and the muslim community - and it leaving that context and being used as a totem to show how homophobic muslims are. There are other, and better, examples of muslim homophobia - but they are typically in line politically with general right wing arguments in favour of homophobia (the kind of "they're too young to know", "it should be the parents decision", "its our religious belief" positions) that you could also apply to literally any people who are homophobic. It feels like these Tweets were taken specifically because they are detached from context and just references "the muslim community" and therefore targets the conversation solely on muslim people, and can ignore other kinds of homophobia, and that muslim homophobia (whilst potentially more prevalent) has essentially the same logic as typical conservative / religious homophobia.
    YAWN
  • Options
    Foxy said:

148grss said:

Leon said:

For example, I am opposed to cannabis legalisation, but it is far down the batting order of issues that I would consider when choosing between candidates.

Incidentally a lot of homophobia in other communities too, not least Ulster Presbyterians.
    Yeah. Who can forget the recent stream of brutal homophobic attacks in London, Manchester, Birmingham by marauding gangs of… Ulster Presbyterians
  • Options
    Leon said:

148grss said:

Leon said:

Tower Hamlets

https://www.eastlondonadvertiser.co.uk/news/crime/20950638.homophobic-hate-crime-rates-tower-hamlets-among-highest-london/
    You can point to somewhere where it is known that there are lots of muslims and say that there are hate crimes there - and that doesn't suggest a causal link; I would be interested in further data if that shows it to be true.

Hate crimes against LGBT+ people are up across the country, as well, which I doubt has any correlation to the muslim population, but again - would be happy to change my mind if the data suggested otherwise.
  • Options

We don't care what happens when they get there. On paper they are then able to apply for asylum there. If they fail on paper they get shipped back to wherever - which I believe is one of the areas the SC has ruled is illegal on many fronts. Of course @Leon et al will tell you that would never happen as nobody will come here if they are to be sent to Rwanda.

So I don't think the detail was ever considered. This was a crayon drawing of a "policy"
    If we're going to change the law to declare it's safe for Rwanda to ship them back to wherever, why not change the law to declare it's safe for us to ship them back to wherever? Then we wouldn't need to pay £170,000 per asylum seeker to send them to Rwanda.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

148grss said:

Leon said:

I went to university near Stoke - I didn't experience any homophobia from students, but Stokies - got a lot from Stokies.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,813
    India - Australia in the final then
  • Options

If they fail in their asylum bid, then surely returning them to their own country is fine. Isn't it only successful bids that shouldn't be returned?
  • Options
    Leon said:

why would they have to compromise if they have core values and principles, they should just tell Muslims to do one and ignore them.
  • Options
    The annual Christmas display in Bethlehem has been cancelled
    https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/christmas-bethlehem-cancelled-in-honour-palestinian-martyrs/

Bethlehem is in the West Bank.
  • Options
    Almost 4,500 officers have left policing during their probation period since 2019, with ‘nonsensical’ policing degrees being singled out as a reason why new recruits are leaving in their droves.
    https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/officer-exodus-4-500-leave-policing-in-their-probation-period/
  • Options
    Leon said:

Foxy said:

148grss said:

Leon said:

Yeah. Who can forget the recent stream of brutal homophobic attacks in London, Manchester, Birmingham by marauding gangs of… Ulster Presbyterians
    I mean, if you're in South London near (for example) Honor Oak and you're openly queer - I know I'm more afraid of a group of white guys in Chelsea shirts than I am of a group of muslim guys. Only one of those groups has threatened to batter my head in.
  • Options

Which is fine, until someone has to turn that crayon drawing into something real. (See all those who think that the Rwanda plan is to let successful claimants into the UK and use Rwanda for the failed claims.)

Then you either 'fess up (it was never going to work) or crayon over the crayon. And the government can't 'fess up, because its remaining supporters will be furious.

See also all the people blaming European courts for this. Including the Prime Bloody Minister.

Coward.
  • Options
    The IDF giving one of their standard aggressive and unconvincing pr performances on WaO: we only found some AK47s and vests in the basement of the Al-Shifa hospital but this doesn't mean that this was not the beating heart super-lair of Hamas as we had previously suggested. They had time to cover their tracks, the absolute bastards!
  • Options
    edited November 2023

Almost 4,500 officers have left policing during their probation period since 2019, with ‘nonsensical’ policing degrees being singled out as a reason why new recruits are leaving in their droves.
    https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/officer-exodus-4-500-leave-policing-in-their-probation-period/

So if you are one of those plastic plods, even if you do that community support job for several years, learn the ropes, have a good track record, you can never become a full blown copper unless you then go and get a degree.....that seems extremely stupid.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,047
    edited November 2023

GCSE students in England will get formulae and equations in their maths and science exams under plans to limit the impact of Covid.

The Department for Education (DfE) has asked the exams regulator, Ofqual, to extend the extra support for another year.

Most students due to sit exams next summer were in Year 7 when the first national lockdown was introduced.

Teaching unions have welcomed the proposal, which is being consulted on.

The DfE said it would mean "enhanced formulae and equation sheets" for students in maths, physics and combined science GCSEs.

https://www.bbc.com/news/education-67438619

That has been the case for years.

When my daughter did her Physics GCSE in 2016 they got a sheet of formulas. When my son did his Physics GCSE last year similarly they got a sheet of formulas.

This is not quite as straight forward as it appears though. The formulas they are given change each year depending on what questions are being asked in the exam. The reason for this is the exam boards include some questions specifically about formulas and you are expected to know them for those questions. Hence they are not on the sheet. The formulas they are given are for questions where the exam board is looking at understanding of principles rather than the ability to learn rote. Hence the formulas themselves are given in the crib sheet.
  • Options

(Engages grumpy old git mode)

That's Gen Z for you...

https://www.businessinsider.com/gen-z-workers-shocked-by-nine-to-five-work-schedule-2023-11

I see the same with some of our new recruits.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

If.

If Hunt is standing down at the GE, I would expect another Tory Cancellor in post for the campaign.
    I think there is a little mischief-making in stories of Hunt's retirement. He'll be under a fair amount of pressure to stand for re-election as it isn't a good look for the second most powerful figure in the Government to do a runner on the eve of an election. Godalming & Ash is also not super-marginal - the Lib Dems will have designs on it for sure, and nothing is safe on current polling, but on balance he should hang on. And if he doesn't then its embarrassing but he'll get over it quickly enough. It would be a moment Lib Dems would enjoy, but isn't a "Portillo moment" as such - that was such a big thing as Portillo was perhaps the leading contender for the Tory leadership had he survived the election, whereas Hunt clearly isn't.

I also don't think they'd replace him prior to an election even if he did stand down late. I think they would go into the election with a "Chancellor designate" - perhaps Laura Trott who was promoted to Chief Secretary in the reshuffle - but she'd not take the seals of office and it wouldn't be such a bad thing for Hunt to be kicking his heels in Number 11, minding the shop for the election period in case there is a bank crisis or whatever - he knows the ropes and nobody would be spooked by it.

• Options

GCSE students in England will get formulae and equations in their maths and science exams under plans to limit the impact of Covid.

The Department for Education (DfE) has asked the exams regulator, Ofqual, to extend the extra support for another year.

Most students due to sit exams next summer were in Year 7 when the first national lockdown was introduced.

The DfE said it would mean "enhanced formulae and equation sheets" for students in maths, physics and combined science GCSEs.

When my daughter did her Physics GCSE in 2016 they got a sheet of formulas. When my son did his Physics GCSE last year similarly they got a sheet of formulas.

This is not quite as straight forward as it appears though. The formulas they are given change each year depending on what questions are being asked in the exam. The reason for this is the exam boards include some questions specifically about formulas and you are expected to know them for those questions. Hence they are not on the sheet. The formulas they are given are for questions where the exam board is looking at understanding of principles rather than the ability to learn rote. Hence the formulas themselves are given in the crib sheet.
    We were given the formulas at exam time when I sat Chemistry and Physics A levels in 1983.

The test was understanding and implementing what they meant.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

@Samfr

YouGov this morning has the Tories on their lowest percentage since Truss

CON 21%
    LAB 44%
    LD 10%
    REF 10%
    GREEN 8%

And a Farage founded party on 10% at its highest level since before Theresa May resigned after failing to get Brexit done or UKIP's 12% in election 2015. Indeed Reform now level with the LDs and ahead of the Greens
    It's not.

The Brexit Party routinely polled in low double-digits right through the autumn of 2019, until the election was called.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2019_United_Kingdom_general_election
    The last time a poll had it on 10% or higher was early November 2019 on that chart by polling day on 12th December Boris had cut it to 2%, if he hadn't he wouldn't have got a majority. Plus of course the Brexit party was on over 20% before Boris replaced May as PM
    Yes. Which proves my point that the Brexit Party routinely polled in low double-digits right through the autumn of 2019, until the election was called, and refutes yours that "a Farage founded party on 10% [is] at its highest level since before Theresa May resigned". Cheers.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I think people have missed the fact it isn't a formula sheet, I think all STEM have had some form of that for donkeys years, it is an "enhanced" one that they used during COVID, because they thought due to the disruption kids needed more assistance. They are going to still use it now, despite the kids taking GCSE doing the last 2 years without COVID restrictions.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

We were given the formulas at exam time when I sat Chemistry and Physics A levels in 1983.

Exactly.

Mind you, you clearly have a better memory than I do. I did Chemistry A level in 1983 as well and can remember absolutely nothing about it :)
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Foxy said:

If they fail in their asylum bid, then surely returning them to their own country is fine. Isn't it only successful bids that shouldn't be returned?
    Trying to be serious for a moment - the reason for the Supreme Court upholding the decision of the Court of Appeal was that people sent to Rwanda would be at risk of "refoulement" in view of "the general human rights situation in Rwanda; the adequacy of Rwanda’s asylum system, including its history of refoulement; and Rwanda’s non-compliance with assurances given under the arrangement which it entered into with Israel" (paras 73-105 of the judgment).

In view of the third consideration - that Rwanda hadn't compiled with assurances given under a previous arrangement with Israel - one has to wonder what good Sunak thinks it will do to ask Rwanda for further assurances now, which seems to be the linchpin of his new plan.

• Options
    Chris said:

Foxy said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Home Secretary James Cleverly has defended emergency laws to revive plans to fly asylum seekers to Rwanda, as a former Supreme Court justice said the measures would be extraordinary.
    Lord Sumption said the move "won't make any difference" after the Supreme Court ruled the policy was unlawful.
    Mr Cleverly disagreed with the criticism and said a new treaty with Rwanda would allow flights to depart.

It has to be said that I am now starting to sense Trussian levels of panic in the government now.

As absolutely bonkers as it sounds, maybe we are going to be on Prime Minister no.4 of the Parliament soon.
    According to the same article, even Priti Patel is saying it will be difficult to get the "emergency batshit" legislation through the Lords.
    But isn't this the point? Its about having the 'blob' stopping the Government from stopping the Boats. Its classic culture wars.
    When you say "blob" presumably you mean "law"?
    Its not my opinion - I think the plan is ludicrous. But the idea of having a government stymied by the courts and the Lords and thus unable to enact its policy is exactly the conflict that the right of the party wants.
    There's a huge difference between the Lords not passing something and the court saying something is illegal.

The courts are just following the law as enacted, to best of their abilities. The Lords is part of the law making process. If they block something then that is their constitutional right and the Commons adjust the Act in question or it does the Parliament Act thing.
    The Commons can't now do "the Parliament Act thing" this side of then next general election for legislation that hasn't yet been introduced.

(Yes, technically it can - but it couldn't then fit the election before Xmas 2024 meaning the campaign would have to go over Xmas/NY, and even then, there's only about a maximum for 4 weeks' leeway).
    If Sunak has become sufficiently detached from reality, perhaps he could seek to create several hundred new peers?
    He can seek it but he can't do it. Leaving aside niceties like the House of Lords Appointments Commission, ultimately it's the king that creates honours and when Asquith tried that, George V demanded a general election first to test the point at issue with the public. Indeed, the whole point of the Parliament Act is to avoid repeating that situation.

Charles can, of course, now dissolve parliament on his own initiative again, thanks to legislation from an earlier Tory govt this parliament. Not that it would necessarily be wise to but the threat is worth keeping in the safe.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,127

FPT

Despite all the ramping of wind power being cheap why do we need to subsidise the industry ?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/11/16/coutinho-boost-subsidies-wind-farm-projects-auction-flop/

We don't have to pay the Saudis for wind
    We don't have to pay the French for wind
    We don't have to pay the Germans for wind
    We don't have to pay the Russians for wind

Wind is free. We have lots of it. Wind is great.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,254
    Chris said:

In view of the third consideration - that Rwanda hadn't compiled with assurances given under a previous arrangement with Israel - one has to wonder what good Sunak thinks it will do to ask Rwanda for further assurances now, which seems to be the linchpin of his new plan.

Parliament will vote that Rwanda has done what is required, even if they haven't
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,480
    viewcode said:

FPT

We don't even have to import it. Ideally, one day, we will have enough wind power to become an energy exporter again.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

That's Gen Z for you...

https://www.businessinsider.com/gen-z-workers-shocked-by-nine-to-five-work-schedule-2023-11

At some point reality is going to have to hit. Productivity is piss poor and in a globalised world and AI all coming for these peoples jobs.
  • Options
    If this maths is accurate, Richi's new Rwanda plan is already dead

@woodstockjag

Parliament must dissolve, by automatic operation of law, no later than 17th December 2024.

So any Bill capable of being Parliament Acted™ must go to the Lords no later than 17th November 2024.

And must get its "first" Commons second reading no later than 17th November 2023.
  • Options

So if you are one of those plastic plods, even if you do that community support job for several years, learn the ropes, have a good track record, you can never become a full blown copper unless you then go and get a degree.....that seems extremely stupid.
    It is, and beyond degrees of unknown worth, there is the spiral Foxy has spoken about in a health context (and possibly Dura_Ace in defence): as experienced coppers were axed during austerity, there is no-one to train and mentor the new ones.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

SpaceX given permission for a second attempt to fly the Starship rocket, they’re targeting tomorrow lunchtime GMT for the launch.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/11/15/faa-clears-spacex-to-launch-second-starship-flight.html

The last Starship test ended up with one of the world’s biggest explosions, and they’ve spent the last few months cleaning up the mess as well as building another rocket.

"...one of the world’s biggest explosions"

That sounds absolute and utter rubbish, and the sort of rubbish spread by SpaceX fanbois.
    You've got me thinking now. What was the largest rocket explosion? Starship is bigger than Saturn V, so it may be that. I know the Russians and Chinese decorate their pads with steel rain occasionally (and one famous one fried a lot of people alive: not good), but I don't think they're in the same league.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

FPT

Yes, but it's not so cheap to harness anymore (though it compares well to other options available to us).
    It is, for example, around seven times the price of bulk solar in Saudi Arabia (to take an extreme example).
  • Options
    viewcode said:

FPT

Whilst I agree with the thrust of your argument, I will point out that for decades the Norwegians used to get almost entirely free electricity because it was hydroelectric. Then one day the Norwegian Government decided to start charging for it.

The idea that we will ever get free electricity because it is wind powered is, I am afraid, for the birds.

Just to note this is not an argument against wind power at all.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,916
    Afternoon all :)

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/sadiq-khan-susan-hall-jeremy-corbyn-london-mayor-race-poll-b1120745.html

Khan, for all he seems hugely unpopular on every form of social media and discussion forum known to man, still has a commanding advantage over Susan Hall. To be fair, he is only 20 points ahead while the latest GE VI had a 35-point Labour advantage so he is clearly an electoral liability but he's still 20 points ahead.
  • Options
    These people are completely unhinged...

@AnushkaAsthana
    NEW: Hearing dozens of Tory MPs are writing to PM today demanding that emergency Rwanda legislation is protected from human rights challenges. They want notwithstanding clauses; to dis-apply the HRA; & last min "pyjama injunctions" to be blocked 1/

• Options
    Foxy said:

That's Gen Z for you...

yep , a day's work and they are off whinging, expect everything for nothing.
  • Options

I don't think Wes has interiorised the bigness of the numbers coming down the pike WRT healthcare costs. Triangulate as much as you like, but old people are expensive and there's a lot of them, and somebody has to pay for them.

• Options

Foxy said:

Exactly.

Mind you, you clearly have a better memory than I do. I did Chemistry A level in 1983 as well and can remember absolutely nothing about it :)
    All we had was a slide rule and log tables everything had to be memorised.
  • Options

I think people have missed the fact it isn't a formula sheet, I think all STEM have had some form of that for donkeys years, it is an "enhanced" one that they used during COVID, because they thought due to the disruption kids needed more assistance. They are going to still use it now, despite the kids taking GCSE doing the last 2 years without COVID restrictions.

Next it will just be 100% A* passes as long as you can write your name.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,172
    viewcode said:

Sandpit said:

SpaceX given permission for a second attempt to fly the Starship rocket, they’re targeting tomorrow lunchtime GMT for the launch.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/11/15/faa-clears-spacex-to-launch-second-starship-flight.html

The last Starship test ended up with one of the world’s biggest explosions, and they’ve spent the last few months cleaning up the mess as well as building another rocket.

That sounds absolute and utter rubbish, and the sort of rubbish spread by SpaceX fanbois.
    You've got me thinking now. What was the largest rocket explosion? Starship is bigger than Saturn V, so it may be that. I know the Russians and Chinese decorate their pads with steel rain occasionally (and one famous one fried a lot of people alive: not good), but I don't think they're in the same league.
    IMV definitely the N1 second launch. I've posted a description of the aftermath before, but cannot immediately find it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N1_(rocket)#Second_failure,_serial_5L
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,210

Yes you may need a degree to be a DCI or chief constable, you don't need one to be a standard police officer
  • Options

Foxy said:

Exactly.

The best thing I remember about Higher Chemistry was the concept of the Rate Determining Step. It was the part of the operation that determined the minimum time that the whole process could take. To maximise efficiency you had to try and get all the other stages to work around it and ideally alongside it.

I have found this a really useful concept when organising things throughout my life. The actual Chemistry I don't recall much of having never really had an opportunity to use it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,023
    malcolmg said:

Hmm my daughter isn't quite there yet, but her A-levels aren't for a while.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

The annual Christmas display in Bethlehem has been cancelled
    https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/christmas-bethlehem-cancelled-in-honour-palestinian-martyrs/

Bethlehem is in the West Bank.

Yes, have been there, under PNA control, a pity as it is very picturesque, especially at Christmas.

Christians are somewhat torn, evangelical US Christians tend to back Israel, Palestinian Christians tend to support Palestine and the C of E on the fence as usual pushing for a settlement
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,014
    viewcode said:

Sandpit said:

The Soviet N-1 made one hell of a boom a few times, before it was abandoned.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=YscKBzvHBSw

The Starship #1 would have been the biggest if it had blown up on the pad, rather than a few minutes into the flight.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,014
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Exactly.

The best thing I remember about Higher Chemistry was the concept of the Rate Determining Step. It was the part of the operation that determined the minimum time that the whole process could take. To maximise efficiency you had to try and get all the other stages to work around it and ideally alongside it.

I have found this a really useful concept when organising things throughout my life. The actual Chemistry I don't recall much of having never really had an opportunity to use it.
    That sounds like the GANTT charts of my project management courses, and trying to optimise a schedule by critical path analysis.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Leon said:

148grss said:

Leon said:

Tower Hamlets

Have been trying to look for hate crime stats that identify the perpetrators; the best I can find is this paper from the University of Sussex and Demos:

https://demos.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/PatternsOfHateCrimeReport-.pdf

Whilst it doesn't do religion of perpetrators of hate crimes, it does do race - and non-white people are disproportionately perpetrators (based on their representation in these stats verses population as a whole) - but that could be due to the general over representation of non-white people in crime stats (due to many factors we need not go into here, but I hope people will agree it isn't due to racially based potentiality for criminal actions) and also due to underreporting of hate crimes in general - something which may be worse if non-white people are specifically not reporting white people (as they don't want to be seen as "playing the race card", or dealing with police who may be considered institutionally racist).

Interestingly, on the topic we're discussing, it notes:

The boroughs with the highest rates of sexual orientation hate crimes were:
    Kensington & Chelsea (50), Lambeth (48) and Hackney (38). This may infer that LGBT visibility is higher in these boroughs, resulting in more victims reporting incidents of anti-LGBT hate crime to the police. However, as the statistics on other types of hate crime do not reflect demographics in terms of race/ethnicity and religious beliefs, it is not clear whether this is actually the case.
  • Options

Pedro Sánchez wins second term as Spain’s PM after Catalan amnesty deal

Pedro Sánchez has clinched a second term as Spain’s prime minister after winning an ill-tempered investiture vote

Guardian blog

'The PP’s leader, Alberto Núñez Feijóo, launched a scathing attack on Sánchez for agreeing to an amnesty that would include Carles Puigdemont, leader of the hardline Junts per Catalunya (Together for Catalonia) and self-exiled former Catalan regional president who was the architect of the 2017 attempt to secede and who fled to Belgium to avoid arrest in its aftermath.

The pragmatic Catalan Republican Left (ERC) is also backing the new government in return for the amnesty.

“You are the problem,” Feijóo told the PSOE leader. “You and your inability to keep your word, your lack of moral limits, your pathological ambition. As long as you’re around, Spain will be condemned to division. Your time as prime minister will be marked by Puigdemont returning freely to Catalonia. History will have no amnesty for you.”

Not all the admonishments came from Sánchez’s opponents. Junts, perhaps annoyed by the acting prime minister’s mention of a “united Spain”, advised him “not to tempt fate”, warning that its support for his minority coalition government was conditional and would be offered on a case-by-case basis.

“If we are here today it is to make things really change,” said Junts’s spokesperson, Míriam Nogueras. “But if there is no progress, we will not approve any initiative presented by your government. It is linked to progress and compliance with agreements.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/16/pedro-sanchez-wins-second-term-spain-pm-catalan-amnesty-deal
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,172
    edited November 2023

viewcode said:

Sandpit said:

IMV definitely the N1 second launch. I've posted a description of the aftermath before, but cannot immediately find it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N1_(rocket)#Second_failure,_serial_5L
    Here's an eyewitness description of the N1 explosion's aftermath:

I've posted this before, from Asif Siddiq's excellent: "The Challenge to Apollo). It is Valeriy A Menshikov's memory of the explosion after the second N1 flight.

" We were all looking in the direction of the launch, where the hundred-meter pyramid of the rocket was being readied to be hurled into space. Ignition, the flash of flame from the engines, and the rocket slowly rose on a column of flame . And suddenly, at the place where it had just been, a bright fireball. Not one of us understood anything at first. A terrible purple-black mushroom cloud, so familiar from the pictures from the textbook on weapons of mass destruction. The steppe began to rock and the air began to shake, and all of the soldiers and officers froze. "

" Only in the trench did I understand the sense of the expression "your heart in your mouth." Something quite improbable was being created all around-the steppe was trembling like a vibration test jig, thundering, rumbling. whistling. gnashing-all mixed together in some terrible. seemingly unending cacophony. The trench proved to be so shallow and unreliable that one wanted to burrow into the sand so as not to hear this nightmare . .. the thick wave from the explosion passed over us. sweeping away and leveling everything. Behind it came hot metal raining down from above. Pieces of the rocket were thrown ten kilometers away. and large windows were shattered in structures 40 kilometers away. A 400 kilogram spherical tank landed on the roof of the installation and testing wing, seven kilometers from the launch pad. "

" We arrived at the fueling station and were horrified-the windows and doors were smashed out. the iron entrance gate was askew. the equipment was scattered about with the light of dawn and was turned to stone-the steppe was literally strewn with dead animals and birds. Where so many of them came from and how they appeared in such quantities at the station I still do not understand."

https://history.nasa.gov/SP-4408pt2.pdf

(That's an excellent book btw - there's two parts)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Exactly.

That sounds like the GANTT charts of my project management courses, and trying to optimise a schedule by critical path analysis.
    Yeah, I am not sure it wasn't something that just tickled my Chemistry teacher's fancy so he went to town on it more than was actually required. Mr McDonald was his name, a really good teacher. He certainly caught my interest.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Is memorising formulas that important a skill in the day and age of a mobile phone in your pocket? If the idea of education is giving young people knowledge and skills they will need in the real world - memorising is not that much of a necessary skill any more; a much more important skill would be discerning between sources you can and can't trust and how to access relevant sources of information, interpret them and use them in the work you do.
  • Options

viewcode said:

FPT

Whilst I agree with the thrust of your argument, I will point out that for decades the Norwegians used to get almost entirely free electricity because it was hydroelectric. Then one day the Norwegian Government decided to start charging for it.

The idea that we will ever get free electricity because it is wind powered is, I am afraid, for the birds.

Just to note this is not an argument against wind power at all.
    The infrastructure isn't free at all.
    But the marginal cost of a kWh is zero.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

FPT

Its is great right until a huge high pressure area takes up residence in December, and no wind blows for two weeks.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    148grss said:

malcolmg said:

Is memorising formulas that important a skill in the day and age of a mobile phone in your pocket? If the idea of education is giving young people knowledge and skills they will need in the real world - memorising is not that much of a necessary skill any more; a much more important skill would be discerning between sources you can and can't trust and how to access relevant sources of information, interpret them and use them in the work you do.
    One thing I would argue is knowing how to derive some formulae from first principles (or as an alternative from another one) is important, not for the result, but the process and demonstration of understanding.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

That's Gen Z for you...

Its got to be a parody. Surely?

"How can I make sure I'm eating well and seeing my friends and taking time for my hobbies? How am I supposed to fit my whole life into a 9-to-5 work schedule?

I usually wake up around 7 a.m., and I'm at work from about 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. By the time I get home after my full-time job, I barely have time to walk the dog and make dinner before it's dark outside. Then I have to make sure the coffee pot is ready for the next morning, and I have something to take for lunch the next day. I'm home for just a few hours before I get ready to go to bed by 11 p.m.
    "
  • Options

148grss said:

malcolmg said:

One thing I would argue is knowing how to derive some formulae from first principles (or as an alternative from another one) is important, not for the result, but the process and demonstration of understanding.
    That makes sense
  • Options
    stodge said:

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/sadiq-khan-susan-hall-jeremy-corbyn-london-mayor-race-poll-b1120745.html

Khan, for all he seems hugely unpopular on every form of social media and discussion forum known to man, still has a commanding advantage over Susan Hall. To be fair, he is only 20 points ahead while the latest GE VI had a 35-point Labour advantage so he is clearly an electoral liability but he's still 20 points ahead.

Khan also a consistent and enthusiastic supporter of gay rights.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

That's Gen Z for you...

"How can I make sure I'm eating well and seeing my friends and taking time for my hobbies? How am I supposed to fit my whole life into a 9-to-5 work schedule?

I usually wake up around 7 a.m., and I'm at work from about 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. By the time I get home after my full-time job, I barely have time to walk the dog and make dinner before it's dark outside. Then I have to make sure the coffee pot is ready for the next morning, and I have something to take for lunch the next day. I'm home for just a few hours before I get ready to go to bed by 11 p.m.
    "
    All that TikTok scrolling takes time.
  • Options
    Clutch_BromptonClutch_Brompton Posts: 426
    edited November 2023
    Scott_xP said:

If this maths is accurate, Richi's new Rwanda plan is already dead

@woodstockjag

Parliament must dissolve, by automatic operation of law, no later than 17th December 2024.

So any Bill capable of being Parliament Acted™ must go to the Lords no later than 17th November 2024.

And must get its "first" Commons second reading no later than 17th November 2023.

Oh that is easy to explain. Its not about DOING something. Its about pretending they know what to do but are being stopped by johnny foreigner or the judges or the masons or the Jews/WEF/Soros or whoever.

Meanwhile, the higher the profile of immigration as an issue the more Cons peel off to Reform UK. Just look and the Right is steady for the last year on about 30-33%. The change is the proportion of the Right held by the Cons. That has gone from 90%+ to as low as 65%. Much less and the threat to the Con party (as currently constituted) becomes existential.

So already badly concussed from banging their heads against this issue the Cons decide to take a real run-up at it this time.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Exactly.

I think you have misunderstood the chemical concept of the rate determining step. The other processes are much faster, so the reaction is limited by the speed of the rate determining step. There is no need to do anything with the other steps - if you want to speed up the reaction, you need to change the rate determining step.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

That's Gen Z for you...

"
    I mean, this sense of alienation from human interaction has been the cry of working people for ages - bread and roses, bread and roses.

8 hours work, 8 hours enjoyment, 8 hours rest - the workers cried. And that was when work was still 6-7 days a week.

I think it is reasonable to ask for less work considering more and more work is not productive - and evidence suggests a 4 day week (with no pay cut) would actually lead to more work being done anyway.
  • Options

It's surely no more than common sense. When I did conveyancing exams we were allowed to take the statutes in with you. Of course, you had to know them well enough to know where to look and what was relevant but our whole education system puts far too much emphasis on memory and not nearly enough on understanding.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

Exactly.

I think you have misunderstood the chemical concept of the rate determining step. The other processes are much faster, so the reaction is limited by the speed of the rate determining step. There is no need to do anything with the other steps - if you want to speed up the reaction, you need to change the rate determining step.
    That is what I was trying to say although there were other complications such as other processes being sequential to each other so you had to work out which reaction actually determined the speed of the whole process.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,115

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

That's Gen Z for you...

"
    Five day working week?
  • Options
    148grss said:

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

That's Gen Z for you...

"
    I mean, this sense of alienation from human interaction has been the cry of working people for ages - bread and roses, bread and roses.

8 hours work, 8 hours enjoyment, 8 hours rest - the workers cried. And that was when work was still 6-7 days a week.

I think it is reasonable to ask for less work considering more and more work is not productive - and evidence suggests a 4 day week (with no pay cut) would actually lead to more work being done anyway.
    There is some merit in looking at whether we can be more efficient. I think my scorn is more about her inability to see how her complaint comes across to those who have been living this life for decades. Seriously - what is she doing between 7 am (getting up) and 10 am (starting work)? And so you need to find time to cook and keep in touch with friends and walk the dog? Well that's life. Wait until you have a baby if you want to see what time poor is really like.
  • Options

stodge said:

Khan also a consistent and enthusiastic supporter of gay rights.
    Enthusiastic, hmm, but consistent, maybe

Either way I do actually respect Khan for the way he stands up for the LGB community, even if he sometimes looks uncomfortable. With his background it cannot be easy. But kudos to him for that

i am sure he would make a great backbench MP heavily involved in constituency affairs (I have friends from his Tooting days who really respected him as a local MP). I am sure he would be a good CEO of a midsized and well meaning charity

He’s just shite at the big job of being London mayor. He doesn’t get the city, he doesn’t understand its ethos, he is dour, timid, depressing, dull, teetotal, joyless and lacking ambition and chutzpah. A great city like London needs a big bumptious personality - weirdly both Boris and Ken did that, in hugely different ways
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yes you may need a degree to be a DCI or chief constable, you don't need one to be a standard police officer
    HYUFD said:

You don't need a degree to be a Chief Constable; you need an impressive and demonstrable work record.

Indeed, you shouldn't need a degree for any police job, though I can see why they may allow fast-tracking in some circumstances, or act as an equivalent for otherwise required training on technical skills.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    DavidL said:

It's surely no more than common sense. When I did conveyancing exams we were allowed to take the statutes in with you. Of course, you had to know them well enough to know where to look and what was relevant but our whole education system puts far too much emphasis on memory and not nearly enough on understanding.
    I was strictly forbidden to bring anything into A Levels, Degree, or Law Society finals. And even then it struck me (and some teachers) as stupid. If you haven't put in the work, taking texts or statutes into the exam is not going to help you. If you have, they're simply an aid to memory (which in any work context, you would refer to anyway).
  • Options

148grss said:

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

That's Gen Z for you...

"

There is some merit in looking at whether we can be more efficient. I think my scorn is more about her inability to see how her complaint comes across to those who have been living this life for decades. Seriously - what is she doing between 7 am (getting up) and 10 am (starting work)? And so you need to find time to cook and keep in touch with friends and walk the dog? Well that's life. Wait until you have a baby if you want to see what time poor is really like.
    Washing, dressing, eating breakfast, school run, commuting? But also 10am - 7pm is still a 9 hour work day (8 if you assume an hour for lunch).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pedro Sánchez wins second term as Spain’s PM after Catalan amnesty deal

Pedro Sánchez has clinched a second term as Spain’s prime minister after winning an ill-tempered investiture vote

Guardian blog

'The PP’s leader, Alberto Núñez Feijóo, launched a scathing attack on Sánchez for agreeing to an amnesty that would include Carles Puigdemont, leader of the hardline Junts per Catalunya (Together for Catalonia) and self-exiled former Catalan regional president who was the architect of the 2017 attempt to secede and who fled to Belgium to avoid arrest in its aftermath.

The pragmatic Catalan Republican Left (ERC) is also backing the new government in return for the amnesty.

“You are the problem,” Feijóo told the PSOE leader. “You and your inability to keep your word, your lack of moral limits, your pathological ambition. As long as you’re around, Spain will be condemned to division. Your time as prime minister will be marked by Puigdemont returning freely to Catalonia. History will have no amnesty for you.”

Not all the admonishments came from Sánchez’s opponents. Junts, perhaps annoyed by the acting prime minister’s mention of a “united Spain”, advised him “not to tempt fate”, warning that its support for his minority coalition government was conditional and would be offered on a case-by-case basis.

“If we are here today it is to make things really change,” said Junts’s spokesperson, Míriam Nogueras. “But if there is no progress, we will not approve any initiative presented by your government. It is linked to progress and compliance with agreements.”
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/nov/16/pedro-sanchez-wins-second-term-spain-pm-catalan-amnesty-deal
    Oh for the days when the Spanish right knew what to do with secessionists.

• Options
    148grss said:

148grss said:

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

That's Gen Z for you...

"

Washing, dressing, eating breakfast, school run, commuting? But also 10am - 7pm is still a 9 hour work day (8 if you assume an hour for lunch).
    "Washing, dressing, eating breakfast, school run, commuting?" Everyone is different for sure, but most people don't take 3 hours from waking to get to work.

I get it - when I started my PhD (in a chemistry lab) I was shocked by the lack of free time in my life. But welcome to adulthood. The world does not owe you a living.
  • Options

148grss said:

148grss said:

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

That's Gen Z for you...

"

"Washing, dressing, eating breakfast, school run, commuting?" Everyone is different for sure, but most people don't take 3 hours from waking to get to work.

I get it - when I started my PhD (in a chemistry lab) I was shocked by the lack of free time in my life. But welcome to adulthood. The world does not owe you a living.
    Do we owe the world our labour?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,640
    edited November 2023

Chris said:

I have placed a couple of quid on Jake Berry for next Tory leader on BF. He's not in the next PM market. I know it's a waste of money but can't resist a long shot.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,640
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

FPT

Costs for wind are mostly upfront, so the cost of debt is a much larger part of the overall cost.

The cost of debt has recently increased by a large amount. This makes wind relatively more expensive than it was previously.

I'm pretty confident that the technology will continue to develop and drive costs down.
    Nah. Corporate bigwigs think they have HMG by the balls and have upped their ransom demands.
    The old strike price would have meant building capacity at a loss, so no one bid.
    Increasing it to a point where capacity gets built isn't giving in to a "ransom demand", it's just how the market works.

Cost of finance and raw materials (notably steel) are up massively since the last round.

Current wholesale commodity price for UK electricity is currently around 100p per kWh, incidentally.
    https://www.businesswisesolutions.co.uk/energy-market-snapshot/

Note Luckyguy was arguing against building surplus capacity when it was much cheaper to do so.

Planning your national energy infrastructure isn't a one year project, and we've done it pretty poorly for the last decade. But wind (and tidal) are resources which aren't going to run out, and ought not to have to crater our balance of payments for the next few decades, which importing gas will.

As I said before if we are subsidising we should decide what we want to subsidise. Why not for instance more tidal ? It is more reliable than wind. Or mini nukes to give us all the green job advantages we keep wanting. Power generators just smack of the water industry.

As for gas we can still take it from the North Sea and should,
    We can't produce enough gas from the N Sea for our domestic needs.

Mini nukes (whose development I favour) would be a great deal more expensive than wind power - and significantly more so than the latest Korean reactors (though less of a UK planning nightmare).

Ask government about tidal. They ought to have started at least a decade ago.
    Could we not just fill the Nuclear power stations being decommissioned with mini reactors? All the nuclear safety procedures and facilities are there already.
  • Options
    BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,357
    edited November 2023
    xd
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Foxy said:

That's Gen Z for you...

"
    Likely not , bloodly lightweights, what kind of divvy gets the coffeepot ready for the morning. We are talking real loser there.
This discussion has been closed.